PDA

View Full Version : How much $ to give up your team?

stipo
12-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Here is a totally hypothetical question straight out of left field.:plot:

How much money would it take for you to stop watching, reading about, listening to, or talking about the Pacers? :spitout: (or Kstat with his Pistons,etc.)

Obviously we love our team, and from all the posts here on PD, I would say many spend a good portion of their day thinking about our NBA franchise. So if some insane millionaire (think Mark Cuban) is tired of seeing you at the games and offered to pay you to not be a fan, how much would it take?

Maybe somewhere between-

$1000? your probably not a very loyal fan.
Not for any amount? Not even 1,000,000,000? I'd say it sounds like therapy or medication is in order.

So think it over. Whats the LEAST amount of money you would take?:hmm: Remember, this would be for the rest of your life! :o

Mushmouth
12-16-2004, 03:02 PM
I think $500,000 would do the trick for me

I would just stop watching sports all together, they only cause me pain anyway!

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2004, 03:04 PM
Enough money to where I could move away to a tropical island where they don't have TV and I have a harem to keep me occupied. How much is that?

I'd have to be totally away from it though - no internet, TV, newspapers, etc.

Trace
12-16-2004, 03:06 PM
About $5000 I would guess. As much as I enjoy the Pacers and the NBA, I have a lot of other interests, some of which would be fueled by an extra $5000 in my pocket. Plus I like college ball, but don't really have time to follow both, so that would give me my basketball fix. Guess that makes me a pretty fickle fan...I just have plenty of other things that I would enjoy as much.

Ragnar
12-16-2004, 03:18 PM
Enough money to where I could move away to a tropical island where they don't have TV and I have a harem to keep me occupied. How much is that?

Yep thats it right there.

stipo
12-16-2004, 03:19 PM
Since I asked the question, it's only fair that I should answer also.... I think that $50,000 would do for me. A chunk of change like that would do wonders for me right now, and without the Pacers, and sports in general, I could get a lot more done!!

and to a previous question- no you can't watch them on TV. You have to stop following them in ANY fashion.

Kstat
12-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Nothing.

When it all boils down, you've got only one life. Even with all that money, what are you going to use it on? Money can't buy happiness if you're UNABLE to buy what you want....

No, I wouldn't trade my 3 championship experiences for anything. I consider myself wealthy already in that regard.

There is nothing I want in life that I would be unable to get WITHOUT giving up sports entirely anyway.

Pig Nash
12-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Enough money to where I could move away to a tropical island where they don't have TV and I have a a few harems to keep me occupied. How much is that?

I agree with you except for one thing

stipo
12-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Nothing.

When it all boils down, you've got only one life. Even with all that money, what are you going to use it on? Money can't buy happiness if you're UNABLE to buy what you want....

No, I wouldn't trade my 3 championship experiences for anything. I consider myself wealthy already in that regard.
Nothing? NOTHING? in this whole wonderful world of ours? c'mon Kstat!

Fool
12-16-2004, 03:30 PM
Could you still follow the sport itself? I like the $50,000 number someone mentioned earlier. With that I could put in some plans that would keep me busy with things beyond recreational watching of basketball and I could get by still watching the league as a whole and involved in these other endeavors.

stipo
12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Could you still follow the sport itself? I like the $50,000 number someone mentioned earlier. With that I could put in some plans that would keep me busy with things beyond recreational watching of basketball and I could get by still watching the league as a whole and involved in these other endeavors.
yes, you could watch the league, but no games or coverage about your former favorite team.

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2004, 03:43 PM
I agree with you except for one thing

LOL!

You must be younger than I am ...

Pig Nash
12-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Yeah, what does that have to do with it. It was a joke. I like yours really.

Hicks
12-16-2004, 03:48 PM
$38,000,000,000 (7 + 31 x 1,000,000,000)

Unclebuck
12-16-2004, 03:53 PM
The honest answer to the question is I don't know. But it would take well over a million dollars and that is if I could still watch the rest of the NBA, if not it would take tens of millions of dollars, and I don't know if I could even do that

I figure I have already spent well over $50,000 in my lifetime on the Pacers.

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2004, 03:58 PM
My real answer is I couldn't do it - if it was available, and I was given some monitor that would tell if I violated the agreement, I'd end up giving the money back within a month. I could never resist the temptation.

Los Angeles
12-16-2004, 04:40 PM
No offense is intended to anyone here, but if we were talking cold, hard cash, I find it hard to believe anyone would hold out past the mid to high six figure mark. Think of your child's education/future? Parent's retirement? Health care for your extended family? Yeah, you'd cave, just like I would. (But then we would soon break our end of the bargain, habits die hard.)

Me, I'd cave in around $750,000. I love the Pacers, but ultimately these guys are entertainment for me. They don't give a crap about my family, and family comes first.

Here's more things I'd do for more than $750,000, and yes, we're talking cold hard cash, not a giant hypothetical "think of a big number to show my loyalty" amount:

1) Become Vegetarian.
2) Give up alcohol/caffeine.
3) Give up TV.
4) Never drive a car.
5) Drop the NBA like a bad habit, not just the Pacers (farm league hockey is damn exciting!)
6) Movies/Videos/Games
7) Swearing
8) Posting on message boards

Two absolutely untouchable things:
1) Living somewhere that doesn't freeze over.
2) Sex

:)

ABADays
12-16-2004, 04:49 PM
$1.65 - things are tough.

Los Angeles
12-16-2004, 04:54 PM
$1.65 - things are tough.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

indygeezer
12-16-2004, 05:02 PM
I don't think you really realize how little $50,000 is. Two new cars....to give up the Pacers the rest of your life??? :-p

But...$500,000.00? Oh wait, who's making the decision, me or the wife?? No wait, don't ask her...she'd yell SOLD at the very first offer.

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2004, 05:23 PM
No offense is intended to anyone here, but if we were talking cold, hard cash, I find it hard to believe anyone would hold out past the mid to high six figure mark. Think of your child's education/future? Parent's retirement? Health care for your extended family? Yeah, you'd cave, just like I would. (But then we would soon break our end of the bargain, habits die hard.)

Me, I'd cave in around $750,000. I love the Pacers, but ultimately these guys are entertainment for me. They don't give a crap about my family, and family comes first.

Here's more things I'd do for more than $750,000, and yes, we're talking cold hard cash, not a giant hypothetical "think of a big number to show my loyalty" amount:

1) Become Vegetarian.
2) Give up alcohol/caffeine.
3) Give up TV.
4) Never drive a car.
5) Drop the NBA like a bad habit, not just the Pacers (farm league hockey is damn exciting!)
6) Movies/Videos/Games
7) Swearing
8) Posting on message boards

2) Sex

Heck - I'd probably cave for a lot less than that. My guess is 100 grand - it'd pay off my mortgage and let me buy a SWEET ride.

My problem is recividism if the opportunity's there. You'd have to take away my TV, the Internet, newspapers and radio.

And talking to people, though being a Knick fan I can do it easier in Indiana than otherwise.

MSA2CF
12-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Very tough question. But, why would you give up something you love for money? I'm with Kstat. I could never do it. As much as I love baseball and how I could just absolve myself into that instead of basketball, I grew up with the sport (basketball), and it has had major influences on my life. Something that big just cannot be thrown away for material gain.

But that's just me...

stipo
12-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Very tough question. But, why would you give up something you love for money? I'm with Kstat. I could never do it. As much as I love baseball and how I could just absolve myself into that instead of basketball, I grew up with the sport (basketball), and it has had major influences on my life. Something that big just cannot be thrown away for material gain.

But that's just me...
You're saying to me that if someone with a briefcase full of money couldn't break you of the Pacer habit? I think some sort of medication is in order!:laugh:

Los Angeles
12-16-2004, 05:33 PM
Heck - I'd probably cave for a lot less than that. My guess is 100 grand - it'd pay off my mortgage and let me buy a SWEET ride.

My problem is recividism if the opportunity's there. You'd have to take away my TV, the Internet, newspapers and radio.

And talking to people, though being a Knick fan I can do it easier in Indiana than otherwise.You can't even SPLIT a tiny 1BR condo under the freeway for 100K around here, hence my higher number. But you're talking sense.

Quitting can't be that hard.

Maybe there's a 12 step program for sports fans?

stipo
12-16-2004, 07:01 PM
2) Sex

Well, since I live in Indiana, I guess I would have one untouchable thing....uh, wait...that doesn't sound right.:blush:

stipo
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
$1.65 - things are tough.
Ted Turner called. He's paying your asking price, and throwing in another TWO bucks for you to become a Hawks fan.

Los Angeles
12-16-2004, 07:34 PM
Well, since I live in Indiana, I guess I would have one untouchable thing....uh, wait...that doesn't sound right.:blush:BAH! :laugh:

ABADays
12-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Ted Turner called. He's paying your asking price, and throwing in another TWO bucks for you to become a Hawks fan.
I guess forgetting that M after my $1.65 price gave a different meaning didn't it?

SoupIsGood
12-16-2004, 11:34 PM
I would not give up anything I enjoy for any sum of money. Money really truly does not make you any happier. The goal is to be happy, for me anyhow.

Los Angeles
12-16-2004, 11:55 PM
I would not give up anything I enjoy for any sum of money. Money really truly does not make you any happier. The goal is to be happy, for me anyhow.I could definitely buy me some happy!

stipo
12-17-2004, 04:45 AM
I would not give up anything I enjoy for any sum of money. Money really truly does not make you any happier. The goal is to be happy, for me anyhow.

We give up things we enjoy all the time for family and other obligations. If you are married and/or have children you know exactly what I mean. But we somehow manage to carry on. I used to travel at the drop of a hat, I had the freedom and loved to do that. I traded that in on a wife and daughter that was the best trade I ever made.

Do you work? Maybe on days when you could be having fun? Then you are already giving up time to do things you love for money. Money in itself cannot make you happier, but the freedom and time that it would affords you does.

I enjoy sport even though I have less time for it nowadays because of other obligations, but I have other interests. If you say that you can't give up something for ANY amount of money, I really don't think that you're thinking it through. ;)

Fool
12-17-2004, 08:39 AM
I don't think you really realize how little $50,000 is. Two new cars....to give up the Pacers the rest of your life??? :-p

But...$500,000.00? Oh wait, who's making the decision, me or the wife?? No wait, don't ask her...she'd yell SOLD at the very first offer.

On the contrary. $50,000 of capital free and clear of any demand on that capital is enough to put most moderately sized plans in motion. It definately won't cover the complete cost of much but thats not needed if plans are profitable. Financial institutions love it when you walk up to them with that type of down payment.

Hicks
12-17-2004, 09:47 AM
Money doesn't make you happy, but what you DO with it can and does. From allowing you the freedom to do whatever you want that you either couldn't afford or didn't have time for because of work, like going on trips, doing time-consuming activities, etc., to making sure your entire family is provided for and has the same luxury of security as you, to helping other people, and then of course you can still induldge yourselfm with some "shiny" things. :D But if you focus the most on the first 3, you can and will be happy, because they are about going out and doing things, and spending time with other people, and doing things to help them out.

If the NBA pays me my $38,000,000,000 , I would do all of those things. :)

Granville
12-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Interesting question.

If it simply affected me, there would be a dollar amount, but I'm not sure what it is. It would be very high.

On the other hand, it doesn't affect just me. Now, I see and understand what some of you are saying about being able to provide for your children and pay for their education, etc., and I think that is very reasonable. However, it is because of my kids that I would have a very hard time accepting any price.

My dad and I were very close. I have great memories of growing up and being a fan of my dad's favorite teams (Pacers, Cubs, and Bears). Going to games and talking sports was always a tremendously fulfilling part of my life.

My dad died unexpectedly six years ago at the age of 64. Just last night I watched Field of Dreams and cried at the end as I would love to have one last chance to play catch with my dad too.

Now I am the father. I have two boys, ages 7 and 5. They both like sports, and the oldest is at the age where he is starting to like teams. He is following in the family tradition and is a big fan of the Pacers, Cubs, and Bears, though he is also a fan of the Colts. For Christmas he wants a Jermaine O'Neal jersey and a Cubs jersey. It is very rewarding to be sharing this love with him.

All parent-kids relationships are stornger when there is a special interest they share. It doesn't have to be sports. Maybe it is a love of music, or art, the theater, or a hobby. In my case with my dad, and in the case with my boys, it is sports, and a large part of that is our love of the Pacers.

That is priceless.

MSA2CF
12-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Awesome response, Granville...BTW, FOD has to be one of the best movies I've ever seen...I've seen it upwards of 20 times.

stipo
12-17-2004, 03:04 PM
Now I am the father. I have two boys, ages 7 and 5. They both like sports, All parent-kids relationships are stornger when there is a special interest they share. It doesn't have to be sports. Maybe it is a love of music, or art, the theater, or a hobby. In my case with my dad, and in the case with my boys, it is sports, and a large part of that is our love of the Pacers.

That is priceless.

That IS a good response, Granville. BUT, let's say you turn down some HUGE amount of money so you can keep following the Pacers with your sons. The following year there is a lockout, the players decide to form their own league of some sort. No more Pacers. Then what? Teams come and go, that's the reallity of it. It hasn't been THAT long ago that Indianapolis had to have a TELETHON in order to help keep the team here. Things happen, things change.

Concerning how much it would take to keep you away from the Pacers--

I was talking this morning at work to a woman who is a rabid Colts fan. I asked her this threads question, but concerning the Colts. At first she was saying "billions". Then I asked her if she wouldn't watch this Sundays game for $1000. She paused and then said no, after all this might be a record breaking Sunday for Peyton Manning. Then I said $10,000. She said OK. We soon figured that for each game that she didn't watch she would get 10 grand. A lot less than she said at first. After some discussion, she said she would agree to a $5,000,000 buy out.

Granville
12-17-2004, 03:23 PM
That IS a good response, Granville. BUT, let's say you turn down some HUGE amount of money so you can keep following the Pacers with your sons. The following year there is a lockout, the players decide to form their own league of some sort. No more Pacers. Then what? Teams come and go, that's the reallity of it. It hasn't been THAT long ago that Indianapolis had to have a TELETHON in order to help keep the team here. Things happen, things change.

Concerning how much it would take to keep you away from the Pacers--

I was talking this morning at work to a woman who is a rabid Colts fan. I asked her this threads question, but concerning the Colts. At first she was saying "billions". Then I asked her if she wouldn't watch this Sundays game for $1000. She paused and then said no, after all this might be a record breaking Sunday for Peyton Manning. Then I said $10,000. She said OK. We soon figured that for each game that she didn't watch she would get 10 grand. A lot less than she said at first. After some discussion, she said she would agree to a $5,000,000 buy out.

The reality is that teams DON'T come and go. There have been lockouts and strikes for years. When was the last time a team folded? We're not talking about Arena Football League or Central Hockey League teams.

Again, I understand anybody accepting the money. I'm just saying there are more costs involved than not being able to watch the game tomorrow night.

I want to see Peyton break the record Sunday night too. But you know what? I'm going to miss at least part of it, and it isn't because I am getting paid $10,000. I am getting something much better. I get to go to my son's Christmas pageant and see him smile from the stage and wave proudly to his mother and me in the audience.

Again, I'm not turning down the money because of the affect it would have on me. If it was just me, there would be an acceptable figure. I am turning it down for the boys. Their enjoyment, memories, and bonding opportunites are not for sale.

stipo
12-17-2004, 03:38 PM
The reality is that teams DON'T come and go. There have been lockouts and strikes for years. When was the last time a team folded? We're not talking about Arena Football League or Central Hockey League teams.

I respect your feelings Granville. But I was not simply talking about teams folding (which they have and will again), but they DO come and go. Browns, Hornets, Rams, Expos, and that's just recently. Go through the history of NBA franchises alone, it's unbelievable how many have moved over the years (I wonder if the former Cincinnati Royal fans still feel allegiance to the Sac-Kings.;) And they were in Kansas City in the middle years.). That's why the city is building the new dome, without it Irsay moves the Colts to LA, Colts fan be damned.

Los Angeles
12-17-2004, 03:40 PM
I respect your feelings Granville. But I was not simply talking about teams folding (which they have and will again), but they DO come and go. Browns, Hornets, Rams, Expos, and that's just recently. Go through the history of NBA franchises alone, it's unbelievable how many have moved over the years (I wonder if the former Cincinnati Royal fans still feel allegiance to the Sac-Kings.;) And they were in Kansas City in the middle years.). That's why the city is building the new dome, without it Irsay moves the Colts to LA, Colts fan be damned.
When I think of Jazz, I think of Utah.

stipo
12-17-2004, 03:43 PM
When I think of Jazz, I think of Utah.
:chuckle: Right! And when I think of lakes, of course Los Angeles comes to mind!:laugh:

Granville
12-17-2004, 03:47 PM

Fair and valid point. I think the Pacers, Cubs, and Bears seem pretty solid in their current settings, so I'm not too worried about that. But a less stable franchise--such as Montreal Expos--sure, sign me up for the cash.

It is a good question, and like many of these philosophical questions, there are no wrong answers, just individual ones. My answer is no, your answer may be yes, and we'd both be right.

Fool
12-17-2004, 03:54 PM
I'm not trying to turn anyone's choice but money buys time which can be used however you want (including in bonding experiences like helping put-on pageants instead of just watching them, perhaps homeschooling, and/or finding new and more activities and hobbies that both parents and children enjoy together).

ABADays
12-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Too late! Give me the freaking money! :laugh:

SoupIsGood
12-17-2004, 04:40 PM
We give up things we enjoy all the time for family and other obligations. If you are married and/or have children you know exactly what I mean. But we somehow manage to carry on. I used to travel at the drop of a hat, I had the freedom and loved to do that. I traded that in on a wife and daughter that was the best trade I ever made.

Do you work? Maybe on days when you could be having fun? Then you are already giving up time to do things you love for money. Money in itself cannot make you happier, but the freedom and time that it would affords you does.

I enjoy sport even though I have less time for it nowadays because of other obligations, but I have other interests. If you say that you can't give up something for ANY amount of money, I really don't think that you're thinking it through. ;)

But I love being with my family very much, and I enjoy my job. Both keep me happy, I don't feel as if I'm just "carrying on" in either.

I really believe I would not exchange anything I enjoy for a large sum of money. I have no desire to have a lot of money, only enough.

Like a poem I heard a long while ago, I believe I have enough in life, and that keeps me happy. I wish you enough.

stipo
12-17-2004, 05:32 PM
^^^
I wasn't saying that to "carry on" was some sort of sacrifice in this case, just living life a different (and in this case BETTER) way. Although I fail to see how giving up ONE thing that you enjoy would be a bad thing, IF it can make OTHER things (which were previously out of your reach) possible. I won't argue the point anymore. But I will respect your views and wish YOU continued happiness.:)

Edit: I believe this might happen after Soup turns down the money. :devil:

Mrs. Soup: How was your day at work, dear?

Soup: It was great, I love my job! Where are the kids?

Mrs. Soup: Chickennoodle is taking a nap, and Minestrone is doing his homework.

Soup: What about Splitpea'nham?

Mrs. Soup: At basketball practice.

Soup: That reminds me, some eccentric millionaire tried to give me money today to not follow the Pacers anymore.

Mrs. Soup: What? How much?

Soup: Oh, twenty million or so. But I told him we were already happy.

Mrs. Soup: You *#@*!*! WHAAAAAT!!!!!????

Soup: Sure, I told him we had "enough".

Mrs. Soup: Well, it's a good thing YOU have enough, 'cuz you're not "getting any" from me!! C'mon kids, we're staying at Grandmas' house!

Soup: How can you blame me dear? You know how much I love the Pacers!
I really REALLY like them! Hunny! Don't drive off! No! Come back! Come Back!!

stipo
12-17-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks to everyone who took time and answered my hypothetical question. And to those who wouldn't even take a stab at an answer (and you know who you are!)....COWARDS!! :)

XXSASSXX31
12-31-2004, 09:16 PM
Wow...I don't know...maybe 10 million dollars?

To be honest....as others on this post said, money isn't happiness. I'm already have some money...i'm not a millionare personally, but I know I can achieve that in my life and I will. I rather be a millionare on my own that get it handed to me...actually i'm not sure if that is the truth...but I can't give up the Pacers....they cause me so much happiness and why give that up for money?

grace
01-01-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm probably over estimating how much I spend a year on tickets, parking, etc. but for argument's sake lets say its $3000/hr. I think this is the 6th year I've had season tickets so I'm already in the hole $18,000. Let's say I live as long as my grandmother and can still get to games. That's another 52 years. That's another $156,000 not even including inflation. When you factor in loss of ejoyment and or pain and suffering...I'm guessing $5 million.

On the other hand David Stern has me so :censored: I'm ready to shove my tickets up his a$$ until they tickle his tonsils. :devil:

stipo
01-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Wow...I don't know...maybe 10 million dollars?

To be honest....as others on this post said, money isn't happiness. I'm already have some money...i'm not a millionare personally, but I know I can achieve that in my life and I will. I rather be a millionare on my own that get it handed to me...actually i'm not sure if that is the truth...but I can't give up the Pacers....they cause me so much happiness and why give that up for money?

If the check was in front of you for 10 million bucks, you'd be doing what we all would, saying goodbye to our beloved franchise. I think that there are some who just don't have the imagination to really answer this question honestly. How about 50 million dollars? For that amount of money you could provide for your family, support charities, change a small portion of the world even.

For those who say there is no amount, you are saying that there isn't anything in the world that will give you the same happiness, and that is really shortchanging this world of ours. I got the idea for this thread from personally being too obsessed with sports (the Pacers specifically), and was curious about the hold they have on others in this forum. I found out there are a few that are just like I was. I still enjoy the Pacers, just with more perspective. If that makes me less of a fan in someones' eyes, I couldn't care less.
All that being said.... GO PACERS!!