PDA

View Full Version : Clock Stoppage

SoupIsGood
12-16-2004, 01:07 PM
Am I the only one that gets really annoyed by a second or two getting added to the end of a lot of NBA games by pausing the clock for tenths of a second at a time near the end of a game? This is never really talked about, I was wondering if there was some sort of explanation for it. I actually saw a few games back that was won by a buzzer-beater that should not have been possible, if not for the time added to the clock.

Now, I admit, I don't go to many games, and I am looking at the Network TV clock. Maybe the game clock isn't screwy like the on-screen one, but I'd really like to know why this happens so much.

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-16-2004, 01:47 PM
Yeah I've always noticed that too. Seems like they can go the length of the court and shoot a 3 in less than 2 seconds.

recap
12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
I work with the Pacer's clock operator. I will ask him about it the next time I see him.

Deadshot
12-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Did anyone else think that this happened when AJ had a chance to take a game to OT? I think they had 2.6 seconds to throw it down the court, Austin caught it, held it for a second, and AJ had plenty of time for a catch and shoot. But I wouldn't have a problem with this had the shot went in ... ;)

ChicagoJ
12-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Mark and Slick were talking about this the other night...

Mark wanted to know why a league that makes $billions was too cheap to hire neutral clock operators, just like the neutral game officials?

JOneal7
12-17-2004, 03:59 AM
Am I the only one that gets really annoyed by a second or two getting added to the end of a lot of NBA games by pausing the clock for tenths of a second at a time near the end of a game? This is never really talked about, I was wondering if there was some sort of explanation for it. I actually saw a few games back that was won by a buzzer-beater that should not have been possible, if not for the time added to the clock.

Now, I admit, I don't go to many games, and I am looking at the Network TV clock. Maybe the game clock isn't screwy like the on-screen one, but I'd really like to know why this happens so much.

Like the smits buzzer beater vs orlando in the eastern conf. finals ;)