PDA

View Full Version : Fred Vs. Jax

stipo
12-15-2004, 07:55 PM
I've become a big fan of Fred, and I have MIXED feelings about Jax coming back. Besides bench depth, someone please remind be what Jax brings that Fred doesn't.:neutral:

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 08:02 PM
He can play at small forward.

BigMac
12-15-2004, 08:03 PM
A more consistent outside shot, clutch shooting ability, rebounding, not better defensively but not bad. Have Freddie start and Jax come off the bench @ the 3 with Jamaal, Fred, Reggie, O'Neal, and (don't yell at me) Pollard-when healthy and our bench will be awesome. Playing Fred (small) or Reg @ the 3 to start would make for a small starting lineup but a quick as hell lineup.

stipo
12-15-2004, 08:05 PM
Being able to see the top of the refridgerator.
aaah, but you see I dusted up there the other day, so there won't be a need for that for quite some time.

stipo
12-15-2004, 08:07 PM
He can play at small forward.
and hopefully that's where he'll play when he gets back?

stipo
12-15-2004, 08:17 PM
It's funny for me to think that over the summer I was hoping that Reg would vacate his starting spot to Jax, but now I'm thinking along the same lines for Fred.(Yes, I still have much love for Uncle Reg, but his window is starting to close ever so slowly.)

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 08:33 PM
It's funny for me to think that over the summer I was hoping that Reg would vacate his starting spot to Jax, but now I'm thinking along the same lines for Fred.(Yes, I still have much love for Uncle Reg, but his window is starting to close ever so slowly.)BLASPHEMY! After averaging 20 a game? You :censored: ! :)

Ronnie's gone, Jax has his spot. Reg still has what it takes, and is a veteran who can shoot long. Fred, well, fred's exciting but if he starts, we won't contend. He needs to figure out how to get open on the perimeter, until then, he can wait his turn.

stipo
12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
BLASPHEMY! After averaging 20 a game? You :censored: ! :)

Ronnie's gone, Jax has his spot. Reg still has what it takes, and is a veteran who can shoot long. Fred, well, fred's exciting but if he starts, we won't contend. He needs to figure out how to get open on the perimeter, until then, he can wait his turn.
True, Reg is finally shooting the ball and scoring well. I guess after a few years of him being pretty passive offensively I have become impatient with him. It's gonna take a little while for him to make a believer out of me again.

SoupIsGood
12-15-2004, 08:40 PM
I haven't caught enough SJax games to comment really.

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 08:49 PM
I haven't caught enough SJax games to comment really.
:D

stipo
12-15-2004, 08:50 PM
C'mon, Soup. When has lack of knowledge prevented posting on a forum?! ;)

Unclebuck
12-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Reggie will start at the 2 and SJax will start at the 3. We need Freddie off the bench. With AJ at point guard in the 2nd unit, we need another quasi-creator who can penetrate. SJax can do that about as well as Freddie, but Fred doesn't really fit into the starting line-up since Reggie is going to start regardless. I like Freddie off the bench, we need some scoring punch there. Also, SJax can get his shot off much more easily. Fred can get to the basket, but if you get him the ball at the end of the shot clock with a man on him, it's a turnover. SJax can at least get a shot off and have the possibility of an offensive rebound. Plus SJax is a better shooter at this point in Freddie development, though Fred isn't exactly a bad shooter anymore.......

Exactly right

Hoop
12-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Why do you guys constantly worry about who starts? Who cares. It's all about a good rotation and who finishes the games that matter and Rick does his job very well.

PacerMan
12-15-2004, 09:50 PM
and hopefully that's where he'll play when he gets back?

damn stipo, you've aged BADLY!!!!!!!!

PacerMan
12-15-2004, 09:51 PM
Al Harrington seemed to care. And you could argue his complaining about it was a rather significant distraction at times the last couple years. I doubt he's the only player in the league that does, too.

Bull *****
(and I suppose you're an Artest fan?)

PacerMan
12-15-2004, 10:00 PM
Oh, so Harrington didn't care about starting? Your points and statements are simply too articulate and well thought-out for me to compete with, so I guess you win..........

I didn't think you could recognize the obvious.

Kegboy
12-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Jack is a good defender, though I still feel he gambles too much for Rick's liking.

The problem with Fred, always, comes down to his stature. It was painful at times watching him try to guard Al last night.

When Jack comes back, Fred will be 6th man behind both he and Reggie. JJ will eventually fall out of the rotation.

Ragnar
12-15-2004, 11:39 PM
I dont know that JJ will fall out of the rotation. His shooting from behind the arc is tremendous and allows us to spread the floor. On top of that he can also see the top of the fridge.

3Ball
12-16-2004, 12:30 AM
Freddie is going to be a fantastic 6th man. He brings something new and interesting. He might actually get more opportunities to strut his stuff. The plan for the first unit is dump it down to JO and see what happens. Freddie will have opportunities to really take over like he's being doing (from time to time) lately.

Peck
12-16-2004, 12:40 AM
Why do you guys constantly worry about who starts? Who cares. It's all about a good rotation and who finishes the games that matter and Rick does his job very well.

If it doesn't matter who starts may I suggest that Jermaine O'Neal come off of the bench. He would be a shoe in for 6th man of the year, he would certainly alter the course of a game by coming in & providing instant offense & defense.

Of course I'm kidding.

It deeply matters who starts because if it didn't then what I mention above would be within the realm of possibilities, as it is not a possibility it must mean that it matters who starts.

Again if it doesn't matter who starts try suggesting that Reggie Miller come off of the bench & see what kind of reaction you get. If it didn't matter his fans wouldn't care.

If you wanna stump Uncle Buck on this one, because he used to profess the same thoughts you do, state that Ron Artest should come off of the bench & see how he about passes out trying to figure out a way to say that Artest must start without admitting it is important who starts. ;) BTW, at the previous forum gathering U.B. admitted for all to hear that it does matter who starts.

In theory the five best players at their positions should be your starters. Now chemistry is important to consider as well but for the most part you don't bench Scottie Pippen & start Jud Buchler because he might mesh better with Jordan.

Who starts matters.

Kegboy
12-16-2004, 01:21 AM
Okay Peck, if starting matters so much, name the 5 players who started above Havlicek?

Anthem
12-16-2004, 02:04 AM
Someday, Bender's gonna come back. I don't know where his minutes come from... playing the backup 3/4? Where does that put Croshere? Say Bender's out completely, our lineups are still screwy. Say Foster starts and Harrison backs him up, Croshere backs up O'Neal, JJ backs up Jackson, Freddy backs up Reggie, and AJ backs up Tinsley. That's a 10-man rotation, and we've dropped Pollard, Haislip, Bender, Curry, and Gill completely out of the rotation. And that's assuming Artest doesn't come back.

Screwy. Our team still doesn't fit together in any kind of meaningful way.

Peck
12-16-2004, 02:16 AM
Okay Peck, if starting matters so much, name the 5 players who started above Havlicek?

Which year? I'll go with mid-60's.

Bill Russell (No brainer) BTW, if it didn't matterr why didn't he come off of the bench?

Sam Jones
Baily Howell
Larry Sigfried
Don Nelson & Wayne Embry rotated (I could be wrong about that but it's just what I am trying to remember.

That was the mid-60's btw. Havlecek did start for several games btw, it wasn't till the mid way point & end of his career that he became a 6th man only.

It's great though whenever the bench is mentioned the first person out the shoot is always Havelcek.

Ok, I've played your game now it's time for you to play mine.

Please name the 6th man off of the bench for the 1977 Seatle Sonics? Or Better yet the 6th man of the Houston Rockets.

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2004, 08:24 AM
Someday, Bender's gonna come back. I don't know where his minutes come from...

Bender? Minutes?

Who cares? The most relevence he's ever had on this team is being paid money you could have re-signed Brad Miller with.

ChicagoJ
12-16-2004, 02:42 PM
My favorite Red Auerbach quote (probably the only that d:censored:k has ever said that I'll repeat): "If Russell's struggling, I'll bring in Havlicek. If a forward is struggling, I'll bring in Havlicek. If a guard is struggling, I'll bring in Havlicek. If everybody is playing well, f:censored:k Havlicek!"

Kegboy
12-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Which year? I'll go with mid-60's.

Bill Russell (No brainer) BTW, if it didn't matterr why didn't he come off of the bench?

Sam Jones
Baily Howell
Larry Sigfried
Don Nelson & Wayne Embry rotated (I could be wrong about that but it's just what I am trying to remember.

That was the mid-60's btw. Havlecek did start for several games btw, it wasn't till the mid way point & end of his career that he became a 6th man only.

It's great though whenever the bench is mentioned the first person out the shoot is always Havelcek.

Ok, I've played your game now it's time for you to play mine.

Please name the 6th man off of the bench for the 1977 Seatle Sonics? Or Better yet the 6th man of the Houston Rockets.
'76-77 was Dennis Johnson's rookie year. He played behind Slick Watts and Fred Brown. I believe he didn't supplant Brown in the starting lineup until '79.

If you're referring to the same year for the Rockets, that was another rookie 3rd guard, John Lucas.

As for Hondo, he didn't become a full-time starter until '69. Before that, he lead the team in scoring a few years where he strictly came off the bench.

Suaveness
12-16-2004, 03:20 PM
I don't know what to say other than Fred is going to get even better than he is now. It will be interesting to see in a year or 2 who is better