PDA

View Full Version : Redd on his way to join LeBron?

Shade
12-15-2004, 02:53 PM
http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=13557861&BRD=1699&PAG=461&dept_id=46370&rfi=6

ESPN insider Chad Ford threw out a doozy of a trade rumor on ESPN.com yesterday. He said if the Cavaliers offered rookies Luke Jackson and Anderson Varejao to Milwaukee, the Bucks might deal shooting guard Michael Redd.

There have also been rumors about the Cavaliers shopping shooting guard Dajuan Wagner, possibly for a second-round pick.
Oh God, say it isn't so... :(

FiestyFosterFanatic
12-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Why would they trade Micheal Redd?

Fool
12-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Because he isn't going to re-sign with the Bucks and they would rather get something for him then let him walk away after this year.

Kstat
12-15-2004, 03:00 PM
They should be able to get more young talent than that for Redd, though.

At the very least, make them give up a 1st rounder.

Shade
12-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Anyone think the Pacers should try to step in and land Redd? Maybe send Freddie or Jax and someone else to the Bucks for him?

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Maybe two or so weeks ago, there was a thread about how Redd was interested in going to the cavs after he goes Unrestricted FA this summer. I got in a huf about how Milwaukee would do anything in its power to get something for him, but how they'd try to send him outside the division or even conference first.

Now - I'll admit it. Something is better than nothing, and on paper this looks like about the best they Milwaukee could do.

I guess I'm 1/2 varified (they could get something for him, even if he's unrestricted) and 1/2 vilified (he could easily end up cross-division).

I'll own up any day of the week. Milwaukee could (and maybe should?) do this deal, even if it's a figment of this writer's imagination.

Unclebuck
12-15-2004, 03:04 PM
They better not do that, if they do the Cavs become one of the top east contenders. What is goig to hapen next, the Pistons acquire Sheed for nothing.

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 03:06 PM
They better not do that, if they do the Cavs become one of the top east contenders. What is goig to hapen next, the Pistons acquire Sheed for nothing.If early records say anything, they are already a contender.

Doug
12-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Indiana trades:
SG Fred Jones (13.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.6 apg in 35.6 minutes)
PG Eddie Gill (5.0 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 1.5 apg in 18.9 minutes)
SF James Jones (8.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26.4 minutes)
Indiana receives:
SG Michael Redd (22.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 39.2 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -5.2 ppg, -4.8 rpg, and -2.3 apg.

Milwaukee trades:
SG Michael Redd (22.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 39.2 minutes)
Milwaukee receives:
SG Fred Jones (13.8 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.6 apg in 35.6 minutes)
PG Eddie Gill (5.0 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 1.5 apg in 18.9 minutes)
SF James Jones (8.4 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 0.9 apg in 26.4 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +5.2 ppg, +4.8 rpg, and +2.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Fred and JJ > Luke Jackson and Anderson Varejao

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Fred and JJ > Luke Jackson and Anderson VarejaoAgreed. but Redd is unrestricted, which means he has quite a say. I don't think he's ever said anything about wanting to go to Indy.

Are you saying you WANT to lose Freddy?

Is that a flying beer I see?

Fool
12-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Just a reminder that Redd grew up in Ohio and went to Ohio State.

Doug
12-15-2004, 03:57 PM

Nope. Fred has surprised me quite a bit. But for Redd? Heck yes.

But it won't happen. I don't see us shelling out the bucks that Redd will get on his next contract.

Cactus Jax
12-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Agreed. but Redd is unrestricted, which means he has quite a say. I don't think he's ever said anything about wanting to go to Indy.

Is that a flying beer I see?

Sorry, but if Redd said he wanted to sign a big, long term deal with the Pacers, then I'd do that deal in a heartbeat, and that would be a pretty good deal for the Bucks too, as I think the Jones boys will be very good.

Redd with Artest, Jackson, and O'Neal is very nice, but I'd figure then that Jack or Artest would be gone, probably Artest for some future pieces.

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Nope. Fred has surprised me quite a bit. But for Redd? Heck yes.

But it won't happen. I don't see us shelling out the bucks that Redd will get on his next contract.I was mostly joking, I'd do that deal too. But I don't think management wants it (they avoid max contracts like the plague) and I'm almost certain Redd doesn't want it, especially after the Detroit bit.

He wants to grab coat-tails and head home to Ohio, and I can't blame him one bit, for whatever reason he uses.

Unclebuck
12-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Redd's defense is not very good, average at best

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 04:12 PM
Redd's defense is not very good, average at bestUB - love your consistency! ;)

Do you think that's why they're losing more than winning?

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 04:21 PM
If they didn't want to do it, why did they offer up your avatar for Redd this summer? I bet a dollar they knew he was going to be a free agent too.........:hmm:

Um ... because they wanted a star for Ronnie, and new more about his troubles than they were letting on in order to boost his value?

Wait - is this a trick question? :)

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 05:01 PM
SO the world is black and white, huh?

Could have fooled me.

I said they AVOID big contracts. And that is true.

But in the Artest for Redd deal, they wanted to get rid of Ronnie - FOR A STAR - contract length be damned. That's a reasonable assumption at least.

Please don't let another thread be hi-jacked into a "let's talk about artest" thing. I thought my avatar was funny, but I think I'm going to have to change it to something more passive to avoid the baiting. There. That's better.

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Where the hell did that come from? My questions didn't revolve around Artest. I was simply asking why you thought they didn't want to go after Redd. When I even clarified my question, I didn't even mention Artest in any way shape or form. I have absolutely no idea why there is so much hostility there, or what part of my honest question brought about so much. Just because I don't like Artest doesn't mean I want to talk about him all the damn time. Sorry that I brought him up in the first post, but that was just in passing, and not significant at all to my inquiry. I just happened to type "your avatar" instead of Ron Artest just because I thought your avatar was humorous.
I guess I should have used emoticons or something, after re-reading my post, it does sound really defensive. The Avater switch was an awful attempt at humor, but comes across as angry I guess. I'm not really upset at all, and certainly not at you. I had just gotten through a whole artest thing on another board, and I guess I took it out on you for no apparent reason. Sorry, dude. :)

Your question WAS legit, and I hope you were able to find a reasonable response in there somewhere. But if you didnt' here's my answer, put another way:

Redd for young, cheap talent = makes sense to me, but I don't think its in P mgmt's DNA, as most of their recent trades have been "Sell Big Money, Buy Young Talent."

Redd for Artest = exception to the rule - unload a simmering problem (as I see it) and prepare for Reggie's retirement by getting a shooter

Again, sorry if I sounded touchy, I didn't mean to. :)

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 05:49 PM
I definitely see your points all along the line, and yes the operating budget is high, especially for a small market team.

- BUT -

We're talking trades here, not resigning of current roster players or paying management. They could have easily thrown big money at Dampier or Redd or any non-Pacer over the last few years, but they chose not to. I think it's a loyalty thing they might have for current roster guys they like. Baffling, to say the least. Who knows?

But when it comes to TRADES - I can't remember the last time they traded young guys for a Top-tier player in his prime. I would do it, but they just don't seem that into it.

Let's wager - I'll wire you a dollar if Redd plays for the Pacers by Game 1 of next season - but there has to be a flip side. I need a way to win a dollar. Any ideas?

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Damn, at least I tried with the bet angle. :laugh:

I think we're seeing fairly eye-to-eye here. So many big contracts, so little time... where to start?

To clarify, when I say "throw big money" I'm including throwing one or more of our young, valuable players at teams, not just throwing cash and exemptions and whatnot at players. They could have saved money other ways, but I'm not going to mention some of the really shrewd ones for fear of getting jumped on the way to my car. :)

I would move heaven and earth for very few guys out there and Redd's one of them. I don't know how the Bucks got themselves into this situation, but here they are. I remember the Nash thing this summer, with Dallas assuming an easy resigning only to learn that a deal isn't done until the ink dries. I would hate to be Indiana or Milwaukee in that situation with Redd.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Bucks aren't the best when it comes to keeping players happy (even though I'd never be able to tell you why - it's just a hunch). If that's true, why would Redd trust an signing/extension/trade combo if Milwaukee's anywhere near it?

Redd's in a powerful spot, and he's probably the envy of many unhappy and eager to move players out there.

Maybe it's boredom, but I hope we use the recent attention our younger guys are getting to sell them for a star player like Redd. But again, that's just not the way DWLB likes to do things. :shrug:

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Jon and Al! HA!

No, no - I'm not going to set myself up to get bloodied around here, but we had other guys on our roster. No pain, no gain. That's all I'm going to say.

All stars get moved for young and talented "role players" all the time, it's not as impossible as you suggest. Plenty of examples, but I'll stick with one: SHAQ. If Shaq can be moved for - what was it - 17 guys, ANYONE can.

I think management is probably going to get mighty busy with phonecalls to Walsh and Bird now that some young guys have shown promise. I just hope they can break with tradition and actually return one or two.

I think we need a bigger shake-up than bringing in the NBDL cheerlea - check that - flag squad. I can only dream about Redd. Redd in a Cavs uni? That's more like a nightmare.

stipo
12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
^^^
Barkley for Hornicek anyone? (oops, he WAS an All-Star wasn't he?:blush: )

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Young, talented All-Stars DON'T just get traded for "role players" all the time, sorry.
Ah - caught you twisting my words. I said all stars get moved for young talented role players. Not what you said. Shaq ain't young. Neither was Pippen.

Doesn't matter, Pippen was moved, Jalen Rose was moved, Payton was moved, on and on and on. Dismantling/reshuffling happens and it happens when teams decide to exchange All Stars for "next generation" guys. This summer was LA's time - ill advised as it was. It will be someone else's time soon enough, I just hope we're ready to make a bid when it happens.

So I'll stick to my guns and say that All Stars are not just moved for All Stars.

In fact, it was that kind of erroneous thinking that prevented the RA move attempt from going through this summer in the first place. (Now I have to get mad at MYSELF for bringing him into this :-p )

stipo
12-15-2004, 07:49 PM
I was waiting for Ron Ron the untradeable all star to come into the conversation!

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
I stand corrected on all of those points.

Arcadian
12-15-2004, 08:51 PM
I think for next collective bargining deal I'm going have to push for veto power over trades giving away talent to Eastern rivals. It's as if the East is conspiring against the Pacers.

PacerMan
12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Anyone think the Pacers should try to step in and land Redd? Maybe send Freddie or Jax and someone else to the Bucks for him?

No

PacerMan
12-15-2004, 08:59 PM
I was waiting for Ron Ron the untradeable all star to come into the conversation!

Now that's a deal I could live with!

Los Angeles
12-15-2004, 09:33 PM
Let's have a Montieth and hope for a win against Toronto. NOW ONTO THE RON BASHING!!!!!!!!!!! :-p

:montieth:
OH MAN - You Bunnied Me!

It's like a ball fake - anytime someone uses absolutes like "never" or "impossible" I jump into the air immediately, defense - or in this case - facts be damned. I can't help myself. :cry:

I still stand behind stuff I said before my memory and handle of facts went bye-bye, because - well - I want to. Good volleys BTW, I've had a pretty boring day otherwise.

:)