PDA

View Full Version : Which begs the question: why didn't the Pacers sign him earlier?

Crusher
12-15-2004, 09:56 AM
From the end of the Indystar article:

"There's a little bit of an involved story to that," Carlisle said. "It's not one I can get into publicly."

Anyone with 'insider' info on why Curry wasn't signed earlier?

Donnie going for publicity stunt or pity vote by signing 2 okay CBA players in Folkes & Johnsen?

PacerCrazy
12-15-2004, 09:58 AM
I think he was the PERFECT pick up given our situation. we REALLY need some veteran leadership to balence the bench. He can play 10 to 20 mins and will help us wins some games. He is not a great player but he brings what we are missing and that is a steadying force off the bench.

Ragnar
12-15-2004, 10:40 AM
The Pacers are glad to have him now. Especially Miller, who finally has another 30-plus teammate.

"Hallelujah," Miller deadpanned. "We can talk about things that happened in the Eighties and stuff. That will be great."

I loved that line

dannyboy
12-15-2004, 10:56 AM
The Pacers are glad to have him now. Especially Miller, who finally has another 30-plus teammate.

"Hallelujah," Miller deadpanned. "We can talk about things that happened in the Eighties and stuff. That will be great."

I loved that line

The article on Yahoo had this quote:

The Pacers' losing streak was their longest since 1993. They avoided their longest losing spell since dropping 12 straight in 1989.

"Hallelujah!'' Miller said. "We don't have to talk about the 1980s.''

:confused:

Kegboy
12-15-2004, 11:05 AM
A couple possibilities:

1) While Rick and Kevin obviously love him, perhaps Donnie or Larry either don't, or really wanted to try out Britton and Tremaine. I retrospect, that seems pretty stupid. I have a hard time believing we wouldn't have a couple more wins with Curry in our lineup.

2) Maybe there were some politics involved, as in, TPTB felt signing the head of the Players Association right after the brawl would raise eyebrows in the media, or be seen as a slap in the face to Stern. Of course, not that any of us would have a problem with that. :slap:

sweabs
12-15-2004, 11:06 AM
I wondered the same thing. I thought Carlisle and O'Neil would have had Curry at the top of their list when we announced the signing of 2 new guys. I was really shocked when it didn't happen.

I really have no idea why it took a while. Maybe the consipiracy theorists out there will come up with something ;)

Alabama-Redneck
12-15-2004, 11:56 AM
I feel it had something to do with him being President of the PA and all the suspensions.

:cool:

Unclebuck
12-15-2004, 01:20 PM
I feel it had something to do with him being President of the PA and all the suspensions.

:cool:
I agree

scar
12-15-2004, 04:48 PM
I noticed that he chases after loose balls where as just about everyone else is already heading to the other side of the court. He doesn't give up and while he's out of shape, he's still the type of guy that just helps you where it counts. I'm now sold on him.