PDA

View Full Version : Forum X-Mas get-together?

arkman40
12-15-2004, 09:26 AM
I missed the Thanksgiving gathering, but will be back in Indy all of next week. Would anyone be interested/available in some food/drink/Pacer talk some evening early next week, say Monday or Tuesday? I realize this is short notice, but it would be cool to catch up with and/or meet some of you while I'm in town.

Unclebuck
12-15-2004, 09:39 AM
I would love to, not sure if I'll be able to on Monday or Tuesday, (maybe for an hour or so, actually Monday would be better, the earlier the better. There is a game Wednesday night. Thursday would be better for me, but Arkman your the one coming to town so whever is best for you

arkman40
12-15-2004, 10:00 AM
I'll be at the game on Wednesday. Thursday is just as good for me as Monday or Tuesday.

Gyron
12-15-2004, 11:30 AM
I'll be at the game Wednesday too. Would love to meet other forumites there:)

DisplacedKnick
12-15-2004, 11:31 AM
I might be able to make a Thurs get-together myself. Mon & Tues are out.

arkman40
12-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Who else can do something Thursday evening?

Gyron, maybe we can meet up before the game or at halftime?

Unclebuck
12-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Thursday night would be perfect, as I am sure most people don't work on Friday 12/24. it would be a nice way to kick off the Christmas weekend

indygeezer
12-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Yo Arkman....were you the lone non-family member in the Hawks stands last night?

oops, sorry didn't see the other thread.

Hey some guy here at work has 2 tix to the Christmas day game for sale

Front row...$900.00 each.

Jose Slaughter
12-15-2004, 11:46 AM
Thursday works for me.

You guys want to do Pizza King or some place else?

Harddrive7
12-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Actually Thurday is good for me, I haven't attended one yet and would love to meet some of you guys. Arkman, can you find DPM? j/k...

Where is a good place, I live on the Southside, but it really doesn't matter to me, the further I can get away from screaming, hyper, kids the better.

Gyron
12-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Thats a possibility Arkman. As it gets closer and we see if anyone else is interested, lets try and plan something:)

DisplacedKnick
12-15-2004, 11:58 AM
Thats a possibility Arkman. As it gets closer and we see if anyone else is interested, lets try and plan something:)

Uh - it's only a week away NOW.

Unclebuck
12-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Pizza King is the best atmosphere, when we went over to perkins last time people were wondering just who we were, in fact someone asked if we were all sports writers.

Harddrive7
12-15-2004, 12:07 PM
I'm sorry, where is Pizza King exactly?

Shade
12-15-2004, 12:15 PM
I might be able to make it as well on Thursday, barring my having to work, of course.

Pizza King is on the corner of 82nd and Center Run Dr., in the same area as the Burlington Coat Factory, Red Lobster, and Hooters.

Shade
12-15-2004, 12:17 PM
Btw, I'm going to sticky this, since it kind of requires quick attention from those who may be interested.

Hicks
12-15-2004, 12:30 PM
Pizza King is the best atmosphere, when we went over to perkins last time people were wondering just who we were, in fact someone asked if we were all sports writers.
Ha! I forgot about that. That was funny.

Thursday works for me I believe. I'd prefer Pizza King again.

arkman40
12-15-2004, 12:38 PM
Awesome. I was a bit worried that everyone would be busy for the holidays. Thursday is great for me, and Pizza King is always good.

Unclebuck
12-15-2004, 12:45 PM
Ha! I forgot about that. That was funny.

Thursday works for me I believe. I'd prefer Pizza King again.

And another thing when we walked into Perkins, I was the first one there, and I think I said 8 or 9 people and then when everyone else walked in the door I heard one of the workers say "they are all guys" Not sure what this female person mean by that. I don't know if anyone else in our group heard it, but I got a chuckle out of it.

Arkman, I am sure we are all busy, but I know I am never too busy for the Pacers.

indygeezer
12-15-2004, 12:45 PM
As usual I'll have to beg off. A minor thing like a wedding anniversary occurs on Thursday.

:buddies:

Jose Slaughter
12-15-2004, 12:46 PM
Pizza King it is.

I'll call tonight & let 'em know we're comin'.

Hicks
12-15-2004, 12:56 PM
Time to organize a little bit.

What: Impromptu Pacers Forum Pizza Party

When: Thursday, December 23. Time TBD.

Where: Castleton Briggsy's Pizza King. Located on the corner of 82nd and Center Run Dr., in the same area as the Burlington Coat Factory, Red Lobster, and Hooters.

Who: arkman, Jose, Hicks, Shade, Harddrive7, Gyron, Unclebuck, DisplacedKnick (so far)

Doug
12-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Phooey. I can't make it. Christmas stuff.

Doug
12-15-2004, 02:29 PM
You also have a game in San Antonio that night.

I'll send my evil clone. He's taller anyway.

Gyron
12-15-2004, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately, the best I might be able to do is stop by, but even then that will be short if I can make it for that.

If I don't see you I hope you guys have fun....

MagicRat
12-15-2004, 02:32 PM
I'll send my evil clone. He's taller anyway.
I'm sure the 'Wolves could use a 5'10" power forward to back up Garnett.....:-p

recap
12-15-2004, 06:53 PM
I'll be there unless my wife has plans for us that I don't know about....which is not unusual.

Ultimate Frisbee
12-16-2004, 12:09 AM
I might be able to make it if I'm back in town in time (I'll be cutting it close)

Roaming Gnome
12-16-2004, 04:26 AM
Count me in....

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2004, 10:43 AM
BTW - anyone with local knowledge have a good alternate route for driving through Castleton two evenings before Christmas? Would it be better to get off 465 at Keystone instead?

Doug
12-16-2004, 10:49 AM
BTW - anyone with local knowledge have a good alternate route for driving through Castleton two evenings before Christmas? Would it be better to get off 465 at Keystone instead?

I think that would be worse 'cause you'd have to go past Keystone at the Crossing.

For Pizza King, I'd be tempted to go past Allisonville Rd, then take 69 back north to 82nd St.

MagicRat
12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
One Christmas season it took a whole pregame show and most of a first quarter to get from the Keystone Mall to the Castleton Mall...Never again......:mad: :mad: :mad:

MagicRat
12-16-2004, 11:10 AM
For Pizza King, I'd be tempted to go past Allisonville Rd, then take 69 back north to 82nd St.
That's what I would do......

Jose Slaughter
12-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Another option for those coming in from the north would be to take 96th street to Allisonville Road. Take that southbound to 86th street. That is the street that runs on the northside of the mall. 86th magicly turns into Center Run somewhere around the stop light over by the fire station.

Not that traffic on the northside of tha mall will be any better, but it's an option.

Unclebuck
12-16-2004, 12:32 PM
I have a secret way to get into Castleton area that I can't tell anyone, sorry, I'll feel for you as you are sitting in traffic and I am enjoying the pizza.

Just kidding. I don't know the best way, but the worst way will be to turn onto 82nd street from Allisonville, don't go that way whatever you do.

Shade works in Castleton, he likely has a short cut.

Have we set a time yet for this thing to start. That will determine the way I go.

Hicks
12-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Coming from New Castle, I take 38 to I-69, down to 82nd.

Doug
12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Another option for those coming in from the north would be to take 96th street to Allisonville Road. Take that southbound to 86th street.

Another option if you are coming west on 96th street is to go past Allisonville Road to the first light (which I'm pretty sure is "Masters"). Take a right. It goes through a 4 way stop, winds a bit, and eventually dumps you out on 82nd street near the Starbucks (east of the mall). Then just take a right (west) back toward the Pizza King.

Hicks
12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
What time do we want to meet this time, and how long do you think it will go? The latter would depend on how many people I'd imagine...

Jose Slaughter
12-16-2004, 01:23 PM
I called & told them we had about a dozen this time.

I put us down for 6 but that can always be changed. If you guys want to make it 5 thats fine but there is little chance I could get there before 6:30 anyway.

Since it's during the week the close at 9.

JOneal7
12-16-2004, 08:47 PM
well guys When is it again? This time ima try and make it...
lol
get at me...

Hicks
12-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Is the Great Discussion Leader going to be in attendance (Peck)?

Unclebuck
12-16-2004, 08:55 PM
Is the Great Discussion Leader going to be in attendance (Peck)?

I have not heard. I hope he is. There is nothing better than to see Arkman and Peck at one of these things.

Hicks
12-16-2004, 08:56 PM
How is Arkman normally? His last one was the one before my first. Do those two banter a lot? :D

Jose Slaughter
12-16-2004, 09:00 PM
Let's just say, Peck likes to have fun.

Unclebuck
12-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks JS. I don't want to oversell something, I just remember enjoying the banter back and forth between the two, even though I can't remember any specifics

Kegboy
12-16-2004, 09:17 PM
There is a back way into Castleton, but I can't remember the street name.

What you do is take 69 to 96th street and go west. Take the light past the Sam's Club (not into the parking lot, the next street). That winds down through apartments and business parks, and it comes out out by I believe Tony Roma's on 82nd. You're then about a block east of Pizza King (just look for the Hooters.)

However, considering the 96th street exit isn't going to be a picnic either, I'd only recommend that for people coming from the north.

Hicks
12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
Are you coming, Kegboy?

Ultimate Frisbee
12-16-2004, 10:11 PM
I have a secret to get through Castleton in no time. (SHHHH... don't tell everyone or else it will ruin it!!!). On the south side of 82nd street there are a bunch of roads behind the businesses that are all connected by only stop signs. You can take the road from the light across from best buy all the way to the end of Castleton proper.

I found out about this short cut because I live to the east of castleton and at one time worked for one of the businesses directly south of 82nd street.

Ultimate Frisbee
12-16-2004, 10:18 PM
P.S. I'd take the 82nd street exit (via I69/SR37) and go east from there.... that way you avoid the allisonville lights.. Take a left at the second light after going under the bridge and then make a right... It can be a bit tricky finding which streets to take, but in general head east until you get to Center Run then cross there!! Voila!

Kegboy
12-16-2004, 10:48 PM
Oh, probably. Sounds like after not coming last time I need to be there to defend UB's honor against the evil Peck. ;)

And Love's right about south of 82nd.

Hicks
12-16-2004, 10:54 PM
If we can just drag Peck in, this should take off ;) :D

Suaveness
12-17-2004, 06:09 PM
Well I guess I can try and come. Give me a time and we'll see....

....and veggie for me Jose...if I do come, it will be for dinner

Jose Slaughter
12-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Time to organize a little bit.

When: Thursday, December 23. Time TBD.

Where: Castleton Briggsy's Pizza King. Located on the corner of 82nd and Center Run Dr., in the same area as the Burlington Coat Factory, Red Lobster, and Hooters.

Who: arkman, Jose, Hicks, Shade, Harddrive7, Gyron, Unclebuck, DisplacedKnick, Recap, Roaming Gnome, Kegboy, Suaveness (so far)

We still need suggestions for a starting time. When I called in I told them 6, but that's not set in stone.

One last thing, as with any forum party, everyone is welcome.

Hicks
12-18-2004, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't mind starting at 5 rather than 6. Depends on what's best for everyone.

Is Peck avoiding us? :hmm:

Shade
12-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Any time is good for me. I have the day off. :happydanc

Unclebuck
12-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Why don't we do this if some people can get there at 5:00 then you might as well start at 5:00 and then people can get there when they get there. I should be able to get there at 5:30 or so.

Hicks
12-18-2004, 01:12 PM
Either way works for me.

DisplacedKnick
12-18-2004, 11:17 PM
Start whenever you want - there's no way I'll be there before 7 anyway.

Jose Slaughter
12-19-2004, 12:38 AM

When: Thursday, December 23. Time 5 o'clock

Who: arkman, Jose, Hicks, Shade, Harddrive7, Gyron, Unclebuck, DisplacedKnick, Recap, Roaming Gnome, Kegboy, Suaveness (so far)

One last thing, as with any forum party, everyone is welcome.

Peck PM'd me, saying it was very doubtful he could make this one.

Unclebuck
12-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Is the snow going to scare anyone off. I work and live within 15 minutes of Castleton, so it won't keep me away, unless it is just horrible, but sounds like the snow will end Thurs AM. But I know some of you live a little further away.

DisplacedKnick
12-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Is the snow going to scare anyone off. I work and live within 15 minutes of Castleton, so it won't keep me away, unless it is just horrible, but sounds like the snow will end Thurs AM. But I know some of you live a little further away.

Hard to say - depends on wind.

The snow itself bothers me less than the goofy way some people drive in it - that close to Christmas there's no way they'll be staying off the roads. So I'll be taking a wait and see approach.

Hicks
12-21-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm a little weary of it. I'll just have to see how it is.

Shade
12-21-2004, 11:31 AM
I also live about 15 minutes away, and will be at work in the area in the A.M., so I still fully plan on being there. :)

Jose Slaughter
12-21-2004, 11:39 AM
It's time away from the wife & kids.

It's Pacer talk with knowledgeable friends.

It's my favorite pizza.

I think I can make it.

Hicks
12-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Odds are I will be there.

Peck
12-22-2004, 05:37 AM
I'm closer to being there now than I was before. Chances are that I won't know for sure until the night of, but I think now that I might make it.

Jose Slaughter
12-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Due to the weather & the earlier starting time I'm gonna leave it up to those that arrive first to place the pizza order.

As of now I will have to work until 5. In the best of weather it's a 35 minutes drive home. Then I'll need to change & make the short drive to Shoppers Hell.

I'm still thinking 6:30, but I'll be there.

Shade
12-22-2004, 11:32 AM
Just a warning to those coming in -- Castleton traffic is in full swing right now. Allow at least an extra hour or so if possible. It took me about an hour to get home yesterday, and I normally live 15 minutes away. Traffic was logjammed on every street in the area. Even for Castleton, it's a nightmare right now.

Hicks
12-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Snow keeps on falling...

But it's the wind I'm worried about.

Unless it gets bad, I will be trying to leave here at about 4 tomorrow. Normally that'd get me their a bit before 5, but with weather, traffic, etc, it'll probably be closer to 5:30 or so.

Shade
12-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Oddly enough, there's no snowfall here yet today. :shrug:

Hicks
12-22-2004, 12:21 PM
Huh. We've had at least 3+" in NC already.

Doug
12-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Just a warning to those coming in -- Castleton traffic is in full swing right now. Allow at least an extra hour or so if possible. It took me about an hour to get home yesterday, and I normally live 15 minutes away. Traffic was logjammed on every street in the area. Even for Castleton, it's a nightmare right now.

Ain't that the truth. I work just south of 82nd street and generally cut through or just around the mall to get home.

The past two days I've taken some very interesting routes home, though parking lots, down alleys, behind strip malls.

Sometime today I need to go down to the Keystone at the Crossing to get "one last Christmas gift". Boy am I dreading that.

I might swing by right after work tomorrow (around 5), but I won't be able to stay more than a 1/2 hour or so.

DisplacedKnick
12-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm still on the "wait and see" fence.

If we get the weather they say we're supposed to, I doubt I'll be there - the combination of weather and Castleton drivers will probably inspire me.

But I've been known to change my mind at the last second.

JOneal7
12-22-2004, 02:27 PM
it's friggin snowing like crazy! Is this still going down?

Natston
12-22-2004, 03:51 PM
There was a slight chance that I was going to make it. Seeing that we're supposed have have 9 inches of snow by tonight, I seriously doubt I'll make it...

MagicRat
12-22-2004, 04:21 PM
it's friggin snowing like crazy! Is this still going down?
I still haven't seen 1 snowflake today.....

Shade
12-22-2004, 04:29 PM
I still haven't seen 1 snowflake today.....
Ditto. It'll probably nail me on my way home from work tonight (about 10:30).

Unclebuck
12-22-2004, 05:08 PM
I have not seen any snow yet either

Hicks
12-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Quite a sharp dividing line between getting it and not I guess. A lot of central Indiana has had several inches. It's been a winter wonderland of sorts all day in New Castle. But Muncie is dry.

Unclebuck
12-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Now we are getting some snow.

I realize 10-15 of snow is a lot and it makes driving horrible, but if you just watch the local news you would think the world is coming to an end, and that the roads are impassable. What I love is when they have the local reporter out on the scene talking about how cold, windy and snowy it is and how bad the roads are and then you see in the background traffic wizing by, I laugh everytime I see that

As of 10:30, they are saying the Indy area will get three more inches of snow. Castleton area has about 2 inches on the ground right now

Jose Slaughter
12-22-2004, 11:38 PM
That'll all be off the roads by late tomorrow afternoon.

The drive into work might take a little longer but there will be so many people with the day off I think it will kindda even things out a bit.

Hicks
12-23-2004, 01:19 AM
Now we are getting some snow.

I realize 10-15 of snow is a lot and it makes driving horrible, but if you just watch the local news you would think the world is coming to an end, and that the roads are impassable. What I love is when they have the local reporter out on the scene talking about how cold, windy and snowy it is and how bad the roads are and then you see in the background traffic wizing by, I laugh everytime I see that
I was just in it coming home. They aren't exhaggerating. The people wizing by were being complete idiots, I kid you not. It is absolutely horrible out right now.

Right now, I'm out for tomorrow unless the roads look 100% better. But right now it's a very high likelihood that I won't be able to go. It's just awful to drive right now.

Unclebuck
12-23-2004, 08:34 AM
I feel a little follish saying this especially after ripping the media like I did, but my car got stuck in my driveway trying to get to work this morning, so I am not going to work, and likely won't be able to go to the forum get together, although I have not given up hope of going (to the forum gathering that is, great having a snow day, reminds me of school, maybe I'll go sledding.

Peck
12-23-2004, 08:45 AM
We ran our @sses off all night from people wrecking. As it stands I will do my best but if we get slammed during day shift I will not be able to get away for the evening gathering.

But as of now I am still planning to try.

Jose Slaughter
12-23-2004, 09:04 AM
I'm still on

DisplacedKnick
12-23-2004, 09:31 AM
We didn't get all that much here - about 3 inches. It's getting moved around pretty well but my inclination right now is to give it a shot. Again, if it wasn't Castleton two days before Christmas (and after they all stayed home last night) I wouldn't have any worries at all.

Probably make my final decision based on tonight's evening news.

Doug
12-23-2004, 10:01 AM
I'm snowed in right now, which means I'm not going to work (at least until my neighborhood gets plowed). If it don't go to work, I won't be stopping by. I was only going to stop by for 1/2 hour or so, oh well. Everybody say "Hi" to arkman for me.

Jose Slaughter
12-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Since only about a third of our companies employees showed up today they have decided to treat the faithful to lunch.

Pizza will be served at noon.

Story of my life.

Shade
12-23-2004, 12:39 PM
It's starting to look like I may not be able to make it. :( My car was horrendous on the road home from work last night and snow is just piled up in my neighborhood right now. Unless the plows come through, I'm not sure I could get out if I wanted to.

MagicRat
12-23-2004, 01:00 PM
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emagic_rat/onegoal.gif

Unclebuck
12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Very doubtful I can make it, We have a huge driveway that I am helping shovel, but the part up by the garage is about 15 inches deep and my car can't get through that arwa. I know, I know, well lazy why don't you get out there and shovel that area. It is taking all of our strength just to shovel the hill part.

So unless a miracle takes place or someone can drive me I won't be able to make it.

arkman40
12-23-2004, 02:53 PM
I still plan on making it. I hope as many of you as possible are able to as well.

arkman40
12-23-2004, 02:59 PM
UB, you have a PM.

Unclebuck
12-23-2004, 03:20 PM
I'm back in the game, I'll be there around 5:45 or so, hope to see you all so we can talk about seeing J.O play on Saturday, maybe.

Hicks
12-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm stuck. Have fun guys. :cry:

Shade
12-23-2004, 06:39 PM
I'm stuck. Have fun guys. :cry:
Me too. I can't even get my car out. :shrug:

Hicks
12-23-2004, 07:07 PM
:bump: I'm unstickying this, but once the guys get home I'll sticky the thread they create to talk about their evening.

able
12-23-2004, 07:14 PM
I swear it wasn't me, I swear!

I mean I might be a bit jealous but that much snow?? naw.... perhaps a lil twister or so, but nothing "lethal"

:D

MR: that better not be MY YARDSIGN!

Jose, are you taking real good care of it??????

/me starts worrying

Peck
12-23-2004, 07:19 PM
Sorry guys, we are just getting hammered with stuff & I have been called in early & just could not get away.

I really miss seeing Arkman & hope to get together in the near future. I hope you guys are having fun.

Hicks
12-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Let's have another get together when there's not supposed to be 12" of snow. :D

JOneal7
12-23-2004, 07:55 PM
yeah really...I really planned on going to this one. But it's so snowing here! lol, If I Walk outside...and fall down..I could fall atleast up to my shoulders in snow...it's crazy...lol

Will Galen
12-23-2004, 11:03 PM
I have not seen any snow yet either

I haven't seen any snow in . . . like ten years. Hehehe!

ChicagoJ
12-24-2004, 12:14 AM
And, ironically, still no snow in Chicagoland. Although its getting down to -6 tonight. :dead:

Jose Slaughter
12-24-2004, 12:27 AM
Roaming Gnome, Uncle Buck, Arkman & I shared a single pizza. Displaced Knick joined us just after the feast.

We talked a little about the Pacers, the NBA in general & a little fantasy hoops.

We made sure we gave Displaced Knick a few jabs about the team we love to hate.

Other than the smaller than normal turnout the only difference was we didn't stand out in the parking lot & talk for another 2 hours. We said our "see ya's" in the comfort & warmth of the Pizza King.

A big thanks to my forum friends that braved the cold temps & horrid Castleton traffic to spend a few minutes moments to visit.

I hope next time Arkman visits we can keep the streets cleared for him.

Out next party will be in late June. Most likely the Saturday following the NBA draft.

Gyron
12-27-2004, 10:48 AM
Sorry I couldn't make this guys. But with all the snow, plus the fact that my 15 year old dog(my baby) died the 22nd, I just couldn't do it. I did go to the game, that night, but only to try and get my mind off her passing. Conseco was an amazing building. I wish we could have won that night, I really could have used a pick me up that day....