PDA

View Full Version : which retired all-star do you miss most?

Kstat
12-14-2004, 05:06 PM
The game that gave me the idea for this stread was game 4 of the 1997 WCF on NBATV, which featured guys liek Barkley, Stockton and Drexler.

Ok, so aside from the true greats (MJ, Magic, Erving, Hakeem, Kareem, Bird), which perennial all-star do you miss the most? I made a preliminary list:

Dominique Wilkens
Kevin McHale
Larry Johnson (somehow I dont think he'll get any votes)
Scottie Pippen
Alex English
Mark Aguirre
Brad Daughrity
Mark Price
Larry Nance
Mookie Blaylock
TIm Hardaway
Joe Dumars
Robert Parish
Chris Mullin
Isiah Thomas
Mitch Richmond
Glen Rice
Danny Manning
David Robinson
Sidney Moncrief
Shawn Kemp (in his prime)
James Worthy
Mosas Malone
Bernard King
Patrick Ewing
Andrew Toney
Charles Barkley
Maurice Cheeks
John Stockton
Kevin Johnson
Tom Chambers
Clyde Drexler
Horace Grant
George Gervin
Clyde Frazier
Pete Maravich
Bob Lanier
Dennis Rodman
Fat Lever
Ralph Sampson (when he had two legs)
Artis Gilmore
Bobby Jones
Adrian Dantley
Kelly Tripucka

Someone feel free to add any others.

As for the CAN NOT PICK list (the best of the best), since it seems I probably should make one....
Jordan
Bird
Olajuwon
Magic
Erving
Wilt
Russell
Kareem
Oscar
West
Baylor
Cousey

sweabs
12-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Nice list, Kstat.

It'd be a toss up between Shawn Kemp (in his prime of course) and Scottie Pippen.

ChicagoJ
12-14-2004, 05:13 PM
Since I'm leaving Julius out, My top-five would be:

Barkley
Ewing
Dumars
Moncrief
Mo Cheeks

Chuck was never an all-star, but he'd certainly get my vote if he qualified. :p

Kstat
12-14-2004, 05:15 PM
I'll add my favorite non-Piston growing up, was Clyde "the glide" Drexler....... I had a huge Drexler poster in my room back when I was 6.

dannyboy
12-14-2004, 05:15 PM
You mean the game where Malone put Drexler in a bearhug as he tried to guard Stockton on the game winning shot? Barkley was so amazed that he didn't even switch. As bad as the Rockets need a PF, I don't think the fans out here would accept him, even after all this time.

One guy I miss is the original Penny Hardaway. He was always fun to watch.

These days, not so much.

Kstat
12-14-2004, 05:16 PM
Since I'm leaving Julius out, My top-five would be:

Barkley
Ewing
Dumars
Moncrief
Mo Cheeks

Chuck was never an all-star, but he'd certainly get my vote if he qualified. :p

Yeah, I know he wasn't.

Well, since there were no other Pacers on my list, I figured I'd toss you a bone, and save you the trouble of adding him yourself, Jay.

Kstat
12-14-2004, 05:17 PM
You mean the game where Malone put Drexler in a bearhug as he tried to guard Stockton on the game winning shot? As bad as the Rockets need a PF, I don't think the fans out here would accept him, even after all this time.

One guy I miss is the original Penny Hardaway. He was always fun to watch.

These days, not so much.

no, the game thats on is game 4, where Eddie Johnson hit a prayer at the buzzer to to the series for Houston.

As for Penny, I tried to make this a list of RETIRED players. So guys like Steve Smith, Mourning and Penny don't count.

dannyboy
12-14-2004, 05:18 PM
no, the game thats on is game 4, where Eddie Johnson hit a prayer at the buzzer to to the series for Houston.

Ah, I am thinking of game 6.

pb777
12-14-2004, 05:22 PM
The Iceman

had posters of him growing up, dude was a hero to me!

indygeezer
12-14-2004, 05:22 PM
Derrick McKey

<ducking and running>

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Linda Loveless.

Or were you talking about basketball?

Magic - I have a fondness for guys who could do things on the floor nobody else could and he is, IMO, the most unique player I have ever seen play - Oscar seems like he may have been as unique and Wilt but Magic's the one I saw.

Even Michael had Baylor as a predecessor and Erving & Wilkins as contemporaries.

dannyboy
12-14-2004, 05:24 PM
As for Penny, I tried to make this a list of RETIRED players. So guys like Steve Smith, Mourning and Penny don't count.

In that case, My favorite player as a kid was Isiah Thomas.

When he was a Hornet, I also liked Larry Johnson aka Grandmama.

Kstat
12-14-2004, 05:25 PM
ok, i'll add any new names to the list.

Rim, we're trying to keep the easy choices (ie Magic) off this list, because the true greats would dominate it. I was trying to get past guys like Jordan, Bird and Magic who would eat up a ton of votes.

waxman
12-14-2004, 05:28 PM
'Nique- the human highlight film... back when TBS/TNT used to play most of the Hawk games he was my favorite player...

Bernard King...man he could score ... when the mid-range game was an artform.

Mark Aguirre....could score in a lot of ways, had a great post games for his size.

ChicagoJ
12-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Here's my secret top-five, but I'll never admit to this list if UB is in the room:

Run T.M.C.
Alex English
Tom Chambers
Bernard King

and special props to the three fastest and deadliest releases I've ever seen: Dell Curry, Chris Jackson and once again, The Rifleman.

EDIT - how's that for a nine player top-five list? :D

Kstat
12-14-2004, 05:36 PM
I have to say my favorite player of the early 90's was Tim Hardaway- the last player to average 20 points and 10 assists in the same season......

also, the guy who turned the crossover dribble into a weapon.....

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2004, 05:40 PM
My bad. Need to read more clearly.

Tough to get past my Knick bias (Clyde or Bernard - Bernard or Clyde) but I'm going to go with Maravich - but for knee injuries ...

My sympathy vote goes to Sam Lacy. I don't think most people realize just how solid a player he was - plus he was in Kansas City. Really like McAdoo too.

Kstat
12-14-2004, 05:44 PM
My bad. Need to read more clearly.

Tough to get past my Knick bias (Clyde or Bernard - Bernard or Clyde) but I'm going to go with Maravich - but for knee injuries ...

My sympathy vote goes to Sam Lacy. I don't think most people realize just how solid a player he was - plus he was in Kansas City. Really like McAdoo too.

McAdoo.........you mean the guy we traded Parish AND McHale for? :mad: I think he gets the same reaction from Pistons fans that L.J. gets from pacers fans...just a player that if you hear from again in 80 years, it'll still be too soon.....

Bernard King was the man though, I agree. The best scoring Knick of all time. I still have nightmares about what he did to us in the 1984 playoffs....

ABADays
12-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Wilt Chamberlin
Roger Brown
Dr. J
Mel Daniels
George Gervin (the fiiinger roll)
Bob Netolicky
Larry Bird
Freddie Lewis
Michael Jordan
Billy Keller

MSA2CF
12-14-2004, 05:53 PM
I miss anyone from the 1999-2000 Pacers team.

stipo
12-14-2004, 05:56 PM
A lot of talk about King, so I have to pick somebody differerent -- Worthy on the break was an awsome sight. Jamaal Wilkes was a flyer too, and had that funny shot. Back to Worthy though, he was so quick on the wing for a big man it was almost unfair.

The twin towers made Houston always interesting to watch also. Hakeem played the position like no one else.

ABADays
12-14-2004, 05:57 PM
oh . . . . and Darnell Hillman.

Arcadian
12-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Hakeem would be my pick that goes againt the rules.

I liked watching Kemp in his prime.

I always like Kevin Johnson, too.

dipperdunk
12-14-2004, 06:12 PM
Bernard King and Sidney Moncrief. When King would go off he was unstoppable. Nice touch by the way adding my favorite all-time player Andrew Toney to your list.

Two guys I also enjoyed watching who weren't on your list were Fat Lever and Dennis Rodman.

Outlaw
12-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Rik Smits!!!:blush: :laugh:

Peck
12-14-2004, 07:58 PM
If I have to pick one player I miss the most & God knows I'm saying this ducking, but it would be Pat Ewing. He was a REAL true warrior in the paint & in his prime was as good a center as you can be without being the size of Shaq or Wilt.

But I've got some players I miss overall.

Tom Chambers (I just loved watching him play)
Artis Gilmore (the real A-Train)
Sidney Moncrief
George Gervin
Terry Cummings
T.R. Dunn (no I'm not kidding he was one of the best defenders ever)
Bobby Jones
Rick Mahorn (McNasty)
Jeff Ruland (McFilthy)
Alex English
Adrian Dantly
Mark Aquire (Dallas era)
Kelly Tripuka
Mike Gimenski
Andrew Tony (probably the most underrated player to ever play this guy was good)

Mr. Pink
12-14-2004, 08:18 PM
I'd have to say Dennis Rodman. He was always fun to watch.

Los Angeles
12-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Nobody misses Jordan.

Hmmmm ... interesting ....

Gyron
12-14-2004, 09:07 PM
Chris Mullin. I liked him as a player...

And Sam Perkins...Although i don't think he ever made allstar..

ABADays
12-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Nobody misses Jordan.

Hmmmm ... interesting ....
What? I don't count?

indygeezer
12-14-2004, 10:35 PM
Wilt Chamberlin
Roger Brown
Dr. J
Mel Daniels
George Gervin (the fiiinger roll)
Bob Netolicky
Larry Bird
Freddie Lewis
Michael Jordan
Billy Keller

Oh man, I could just cry. Add George McGinnis too....oooooh and Steve Chubin (one of my favorite early Pacers)
<edit> and Darnell...and Lenny Elmore....(and any other player as old as me :( )

Unclebuck
12-14-2004, 10:47 PM
I miss John Stockton as much as anyone

ABADays
12-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Oh man, I could just cry. Add George McGinnis too....oooooh and Steve Chubin (one of my favorite early Pacers)
<edit> and Darnell...and Lenny Elmore....(and any other player as old as me :( )
How could I have missed Big George? Thanks Indy.