PDA

View Full Version : Sports Participation

Alabama-Redneck
12-13-2004, 06:12 PM
I sit here and read most of the threads. I often wonder " Has that person ever participated in organized sports" and I am talking High School and above.

I would really like to know what sport(s) you have played and at what level. Please include all sports--that includes bowling, golf, tennis, etc. if it was organized.

:cool:

t-Bone
12-13-2004, 06:24 PM
played baseball in high school and ran cross country. I play basketball more for the fun of it now. We do have an intramural team at my school.

sweabs
12-13-2004, 06:34 PM
I've played soccer all my life at very competitive levels, along with volleyball.

However, I have always enjoyed basketball most, and wish I had of started playing when I was younger. But now I mostly just play pick-up, rec, or intramural basketball.

And when I was younger I used to play hockey and competitively swim - until I fell in love with volleyball.

Alabama-Redneck
12-13-2004, 06:51 PM
Being 63 years old, I have seen a drastic change in sports since I participated.

I played HS baseball but not basketball. Late bloomer. I did play Industrial bball at the Dearbon gym and the Fall Creek YMCA. Both were high level competition. (Yes, that was after the peach basket era)

My baseball career (what little there was) ended shortly after HS. Poor conditioning. I was a pitcher and messed up my shoulder. I did play softball in Indy and later in Oklahoma. Oklahoma was class A. We went to the nationals 3 times and finished 4th, 4th and 5th.

I do hit a golfball and bowl. My bowling career has been long and fruitful. I might be considered pretty good. I have been to 35 National Tournaments. I have bowled games of 300, 299, 298 and 290. A series of 792 and a high average of 218.

My golf game is..........fun. Fishing is also fun and I have participated in several tournaments. I do not like tournament fishing as it is like a job.

That is my resume.

:cool:

Pig Nash
12-13-2004, 06:56 PM
play tennis at Tech. We got third in city. which isn't bad for an ips team especially when the one and two teams were in top five in the state. we should be really good next year.

ChicagoJ
12-13-2004, 07:18 PM
I came from a very sports-oriented family.

I had a pretty successful track-and-field career in college (multi-time national finalist, All-NAIA District #21, four varsity letters, graduated in the top-ten in school history in the 400m and 200m). I also was a member of the cross-country team in college, but I was a sprinter, and that was just too damn far for my knees, so I got to have them both scoped and I had to red-shirt a season (but I was on the five-year plan anyway, so it didn't really matter. :blush: )

I played several other sports in high school, but I was only 5'8" when I graduated, so I had retired from the "team" sports because I was too small. I grew 4" my freshman year of college, and I've regretted that decision ever since...

And since I talk about him so much, I'll just add that Jay's_Dad@Section204 earned 11 varsity letters in high school, won Bedford HS's most outstanding athlete trophy in the early sixties, was a state-finalist sprinter, and was offered football and/or basketball and/or track scholarships at several small colleges. He also taught PE and coached for about thirty years. He primarily coached football (head JV coach and offensive coordinator for two Final Four teams) and track-and-field (he coached about a dozen different girls to the Indiana State Finals), but also basketball and wrestling.

stipo
12-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Not one iota of sports participation in school. After high school I was sneaky quick during 3 0n 3 games, that's the extent of my basketball career.

Doug
12-13-2004, 10:50 PM
Played football, basketball, and ran track in high school.

Much to my surprise, there wasn't much call for 5' 10" power forwards in college.

McThugg
12-13-2004, 10:55 PM
I played baseball and football for 2 years in college (Division III) until my 1.3 GPA got in the way.

Hoop
12-13-2004, 10:55 PM
I was stoned my entire high school career. :hmm:

ABADays
12-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Played baseball, basketball and football in high school - legion ball in the summer. Played intramurals in college but that got interrupted when I started racing. Raced competitively for four years.

Later played serious softball then picked up baseball again in the over-30 league and played in it for 8 years.

I also played some high level basketball at Dearborn and am the one responsible for Redneck being bannished to Alabama.

tseramid
12-13-2004, 11:41 PM
I played Soccer and baseball in High school and have coached Basketball at the youth level and Soccer at the youth and high school level. I had to quit coaching for a while because a change in jobs and I miss it so much :(

canyoufeelit
12-13-2004, 11:45 PM
track, track, track, track, track, track

MagicRat
12-14-2004, 12:26 AM
Played football in HS.

Currently play tennis, golf and hoops and spend a fair amount of time in the weight room.....

Hicks
12-14-2004, 12:37 AM
spend a fair amount of time in the weight room.....
Really? Couldn't tell.

Bball
12-14-2004, 01:07 AM
If you have any eligiblity left, you should head down to Bloomington. You'd be the biggest guy on our frontline.

:hoosiers:

:lol:

...And being the biggest still wouldn't guarantee Davis would play him....

:(

-Bball

Gyron
12-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Swimming until I blew my knee out.....My specialty was breast stroke, and when you have a bad knee, that pretty much screws you from then on....

I played intramural sports in college, but I was outstanding at absolutely nothing and average at best at everything.

I golf today, but my golf game....well let's just say I see the whole course, both sides of it, all the fairways, even when I'm not playing that particular fairway...I get my money's worth in swings, etc etc etc....

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2004, 09:24 AM
HS bball, soccer and wrestling.

College and pro rodeo. Intramural bball.

Lotta tennis but the only organized was local city leagues as an adult (got pretty good though). Up to about 3-4 years ago still played a lot of pickup bball at the Y.

My pet argument has always been that if the 3-pt shot had been in effect when I graduated HS I could have gotten a JC or lower-level Div 1 scholarship. This is probably not true ... :D

Arcadian
12-14-2004, 11:44 AM
I played soccer in High School and at division 3 college. I wasn't very good until I got treated for my tendonitis and had better coaching at the college level. But I was still 5'11 and 130 pounds.

pb777
12-14-2004, 06:26 PM
I was/am a swimmer. Hated it but it got me thru college. Senior year i tore my rotator cup, took 3 years to fully heal from that. For fun my sport is b-ball. I high school i also played tennis and football. I'll never forget, in 4th grade i made the 6th grade b-ball team. the coach thought i was a fantastic dribbler. My dad would not let me play because b-ball season and swimming season were at the same time...

sweabs
12-14-2004, 06:33 PM
My dad would not let me play because b-ball season and swimming season were at the same time...

I hear that. What was/is your best event? And what's your best time?

ABADays
12-14-2004, 06:41 PM
Good Lord rcarey - when were you ever in the igloo studying? ;)

pb777
12-14-2004, 06:48 PM
50 free - i think my best was around :25 but i honestly cant remember if that's right. now i'm just an occaisional lap swimmer, i prefer weights and cardio.

sweabs
12-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Good Lord rcarey - when were you ever in the igloo studying? ;) :laugh: Yup - when I was younger people would always ask me the same thing (excluding the igloo reference of course ;)).

I think I finally realized something had to be done when I was playing 'AAA' soccer, swimming competitively (8 practices / week), playing club volleyball, and high school basketball all at once. Not to mention doing my Gr.8 piano examinations.

When eating your dinner on the way to practices in the car, and doing your homework on the pool deck becomes the norm...something had to be done.

But once I dropped swimming from the schedule, a lot of time became available. I definitely miss swimming, but can do without the 5:00AM practices :D