12-13-2004, 05:52 PM
In the past decade there have been alot of good rivalries. Here are a few
knicks v heat
knicks v pacers
sactown v lakers
spurs v lakers
knicks v bulls
and ofcrouse now the pacers vs pistons

I say the Knicks vs the Pacers. They played in 93, 94, 95, 98 and 99 and 00. With three of those having a trip to the finals on the line. That knicks team was a team you loved to hate. No love was lost when they came to MSA. What say you?

Kstat
12-13-2004, 05:56 PM
from 1980-1983, it was Philly LA.
from 1984-1987, it was Boston-LA.
from 1988-1989, it was detroit-LA.
from 1990-1991, it was Detroit-Chicago.
from 1992-1993, it was Chicago-NY
from 1994-2000, it was Indiana-NY
from 2001-2003, it was Sacramento-LA
now, its Indiana-Detroit.

there is no more hate-filled rivalry in the CURRENT NBA, than the Pacers-Pistons.

Deadshot
12-13-2004, 05:56 PM
In my opinion, the best was definately the Pacers/Knicks.

Roy Munson
12-13-2004, 06:18 PM
There are three big ones:

Shaq vs. Kobe
Kobe vs. Malone (if Malone over plays again)

and of course the big one:

Ron vs. Ben

Shade
12-13-2004, 06:26 PM

there is no more hate-filled rivalry in the CURRENT NBA, than the Pacers-Pistons.
I mostly agree with that, though it feels like Lakers/Spurs should be in there somewhere too.

Deadshot
12-13-2004, 07:08 PM
There are three big ones:

Shaq vs. Kobe
Kobe vs. Malone (if Malone over plays again)

and of course the big one:

Ron vs. Ben

I don't really see Ron/Ben as a rivalry - at least not a major one. In fact, Paul Pierce would even be a bigger rival for Ron IMO.

Los Angeles
12-13-2004, 07:17 PM
I mostly agree with that, though it feels like Lakers/Spurs should be in there somewhere too.
I think both teams have to be elite for the rivalry to be any fun. Remember the supposed hornets/pacers rivalry talk last year from New Orleans? WEAK.

Lakers/Spurs before this year was HUGE. but now the Lakers aren't shining so bright, so it's not much of a rivalry this year (my, how things change).

Trouble with the Indy/Motown rivalry is that nobody EVER gives Indy its due, so Indy's participation in a rivalry just reduces its consideration. What could keep it hot is the fact that they could be close in the standings all year long. I think the fight took all the fun of a rivalry out of it this year. :(

Unclebuck
12-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Until the game on November 19th, 11/19 - I did not see any hate between the Pacers and Pistons. Who hated who. Am I missing something, I thought there was a lot of respect but not hate

Shade
12-13-2004, 07:57 PM
Until the game on November 19th, 11/19 - I did not see any hate between the Pacers and Pistons. Who hated who. Am I missing something, I thought there was a lot of respect but not hateHmm...11/19...9/11... :hmm: :jawdrop:

Mourning
12-14-2004, 04:27 AM

Seems right, I would like to have the Knicks - Heat rivalry maybe somewhere in there too though.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

lurks-a-lot
12-14-2004, 06:18 AM
Until the game on November 19th, 11/19 - I did not see any hate between the Pacers and Pistons. Who hated who. Am I missing something, I thought there was a lot of respect but not hate

I don't know if there was hatred but both teams sure have been connected for awhile and had some conflicts over the eyars and has had all the ingrediants of a good rivaly.
Just looking at the coaches every coach we have had in the last 5 years has been connected with both teams:
Isiah being your coach.
Carsile being ours.
Carsile being yours
Brown being ours.

Combine that with both teams parelled success over the years with each team continually getting better.

*And in addition Corliss Williamson throwing the ball of Jermaine Oneils head.

Also I think you can add the old Boston Pistons Rivarly

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2004, 08:23 AM
I THINK most Knick fans hated the Heat more than the Pacers as a rivalry.

But the Pacers-Knicks was a better rivalry. To have a true rivalry both teams have to win sometimes. I know we sure thought we had one going with the Bulls from 92-97 but I'm not sure they felt the same way. And other than the suspension series, we always beat the Heat in the playoffs.

Pacers-Knicks had everything - each team winning some, opposing players fans loved to hate (Reggie, Starks & Ewing), very intense play.

Fun times - maybe we'll get back there in a year or two if we could just swap Zeke for a real GM.

geekman
12-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Knicks vs. the Pacers was the best.

pb777
12-14-2004, 03:58 PM
Pacers/Knicks was the best, with Lakers/Celtics coming in second. However, in 2 years who knows what the Pacers/Pistons rivalry will be like. It could easily become the most intense rivalry every, mainly b/c so many fans' emotions are caught up in it.

JO_pace
12-15-2004, 12:20 AM
in terms of players...

ray vs kobe

seems like a pretty good rivalry

3Ball
12-15-2004, 12:37 AM
sactown v lakers
Not so much a rivalry as a mockery.

spurs v lakers
Two great teams, but their actual playoff games were mostly disappointing. Sometimes one won, sometimes the other, but most actual games were pretty well blowouts. The only really exciting game was the double miracle in game 4.

pacers vs pistons
Got potential. If the pistons don't flame out and do something stupid :)

Eindar
12-15-2004, 07:42 AM
Well, the reason the spurs/lakers isn't mentioned is because the Spurs don't participate. Sure, they're competitors, and the games are close, but there's no hatred there. In fact, I don't think robots (Duncan) have the ability to hate.

It needs to be competitive, obviously, but the two teams really have to have a genuine dislike for one another. I think the Pacers-Pistons is there now, and will be more intense over the next 2-4 years as players mature and feelings develop. The Knicks and Pacers hated each other, but I think it was more the fans than the players during those years. However, if you wanna talk about bad blood, the Heat-Knicks rivalry was ugly. 2 teams playing thug basketball. You could really tell that they hated each other's guts. Every foul was hard, and every game was close.

Sacramento/LA was good for a couple years, but I think it's a dead rivalry also. Which leads me to my last point. Proximity is also very good for the thriving of rivalries. The closer teams are to each other, the more their fans will clash and interact. Which is why the Pacers/Pistons rivalry is so hot right now. Also why, in the NFL the Bears/Packers is such a crazy rivalry, along with Boston/NY in MLB. Those are all proximity/familiarity rivalries.

3Ball
12-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Chamberlain vs. Russel was a great rivalry, and those guys slept at each other's house. Ate each other's mother's food for dinner before the game.

I think great rivalries are defined by two great players (or teams) that find themselves going at each other for the prize year after year. Hate is a different thing altogether.