PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Sign Michael Curry; Release Fowlkes

RSmits
12-13-2004, 01:27 PM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/201854-5085-102.html

sweabs
12-13-2004, 01:40 PM
That was my first guess to who we would sign when everything happened. I was surprised we took Johnsen and Fowlkes without Curry.

In Toronto last year - Kevin O'Neil was obsessed with Curry. He loves him for defensive purposes. And I guess he was on Detroit when O'Neil and Carlisle were there? Not to mention, O'Neil always commented on Curry's veteran leadership and attitude. That could be a good thing during these times to go along with Reggie.

BigMac
12-13-2004, 01:49 PM
So we now have the President of the Players Association on the roster? Nice, another reason for Stern to hate us.

I think that his position on the President of the Players Association will do nothing but benefit us. The Union is strong and him being a part of this team can only help.

King Mob
12-13-2004, 01:57 PM
I think this has more to do with the suspension appeals. There was a small bit of controversy at the beginning of the season over the validity of Curry's presidency, apparently because the President of the Player's Association has to be an active NBA player, and Curry hadn't been signed by anyone. The Pacers may have signed him to keep this from becoming an issue during the appeal process.

I'm fairly certain it's not because of anything that he brings to the playing floor. He's two seasons removed from being a presence defensively, and has never been a contributor on offense. Around here he's known as the Binary Man, because his box score typically reads: 0-1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 0 etc. Curry is done.

Hicks
12-13-2004, 02:06 PM
I welcome Curry. He's a SF, and his best quality is his defense. How can that NOT help?

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts at SF until Jackson is back.

Fool
12-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Word in Toronto was that Curry lost favor with his teamates as he was seen by the players as an informant to the coaches. O'Neal was using him as a buffer to the players but when things went off the deep end it seems Curry chose his side (and apparantly chose correctly).

Carlise LOVED Curry as well in Detroit, staying with him as a starter till the 11th hour when he was faced with a win or go home game 5 of the playoff series between the Pistons and the Magic.

unstandable
12-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Curry's one of the worst players in the NBA (offensively he's a nothing and his defense is just average at this point), but he's smart and a good leader. Carlisle has always loved him.

unstandable
12-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I saw Tremaine Fowlkes in Detroit all last season. I should have warned you guys that he was terrible too.

canyoufeelit
12-13-2004, 02:47 PM
It would be a great idea to keep Curry after the season as a personal coach/mentor for Artest. Anyone else think so?

LAPacer
12-13-2004, 02:50 PM
Boo... I don't like the Curry signing.

Stryder
12-13-2004, 02:56 PM
Boo... I don't like the Curry signing.

Why not? Expound, if you please.

TheSauceMaster
12-13-2004, 02:57 PM
can he be any worse than Johnsen and Fowlkes ?

LAPacer
12-13-2004, 03:03 PM
can he be any worse than Johnsen and Fowlkes ?

He's old and has no potential. He was never that good even in his prime. At least Fowlkes was athletic. I saw him make some decent hustle plays. If he could develop a jumper, he could be useful.

I figure we could have signed a Gary Trent or someone to help our size, since Harrison is always fouling out and Foster isn't ready to play 40+ minutes

Gyron
12-13-2004, 03:03 PM
I'll take Curry over Fowlkes and Johnsen any day. Hell they could have gotten rid of Edwards for that matter. Edwards is about the most worthless piece of crap the Indiana Pacer bench has ever given splinters to in the franchise history.

LAPacer
12-13-2004, 03:04 PM
I'll take Curry over Fowlkes and Johnsen any day. Hell they could have gotten rid of Edwards for that matter. Edwards is about the most worthless piece of crap the Indiana Pacer bench has ever given splinters to in the franchise history.

100% Agree. Fowlkes sucks, but Edwards sucks even more. They should have cut Edwards instead.

sweabs
12-13-2004, 03:14 PM
He's old and has no potential. He was never that good even in his prime. At least Fowlkes was athletic. I saw him make some decent hustle plays. If he could develop a jumper, he could be useful.

I figure we could have signed a Gary Trent or someone to help our size, since Harrison is always fouling out and Foster isn't ready to play 40+ minutes

If you're concerned about Curry's hustle...don't be. He will go to work every night. He's a hard-nosed guy who gives 110% every time he steps on the floor. A lot of the things he does won't show up on the stat sheet...but he'll be a nice addition to the TEAM. I'd rather have a guy like Curry, who won't be looking to prove anything to other teams, and search for a contract (cough...Haislip).

LAPacer
12-13-2004, 03:22 PM
If you're concerned about Curry's hustle...don't be. He will go to work every night. He's a hard-nosed guy who gives 110% every time he steps on the floor. A lot of the things he does won't show up on the stat sheet...but he'll be a nice addition to the TEAM. I'd rather have a guy like Curry, who won't be looking to prove anything to other teams, and search for a contract (cough...Haislip).

I agree with you on Haislip. Good point. I'm just not excited about Curry. Boooooo!

King Mob
12-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Curry just doesn't have anything left in the tank. He does always give 110%, but that doesn't amount to much anymore. He can't keep anyone in front of him anymore and he's never been even a decent scorer. Carlisle and O'Neill loved him because he was a vocal leader on the floor and made sure everyone talked to each other on defense. If you're looking for a solid lockerroom guy, you can't get much better, but if you're looking for someone to do more than provide decent defense at the end of quarters, you're barking up the wrong tree. As much as he sucks, Fowlkes is better.

sweabs
12-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Curry just doesn't have anything left in the tank. He does always give 110%, but that doesn't amount to much anymore. He can't keep anyone in front of him anymore and he's never been even a decent scorer.

Okay...he might not be the greatest scorer. But he definitely can still play defense. I watched him all last year, and he certainly gives guys a tough time...he can stay in front of his man and bothers them constantly.

And to say he has nothing left in the tank may also be a bit pretentious. He's an energy player...works hard...and I remember him throwing down some nasty dunks on big men last year. Believe it or not.

Carlisle and O'Neill loved him because he was a vocal leader on the floor and made sure everyone talked to each other on defense. If you're looking for a solid lockerroom guy, you can't get much better.

I agree...that was the one thing players and coaches always said last year from the Raptors. Everyone looked up to him as a mentor and he was like an extra coach out there.

As much as he sucks, Fowlkes is better.

Although I don't think this is true, I'll still take Curry any day. He's a much better fit for the team right now. At least he can actually PROVIDE some minutes...as opposed to sitting on the bench doing no good.

P.S. Even if all Curry did was sit on the bench, he would be 100x better than Fowlkes in that position because of his leadership qualities and knowledge for the game. :laugh:

Cactus Jax
12-13-2004, 04:07 PM
Like people have said, he's better than nothing, which is what Fowkles pretty much was.

Unclebuck
12-13-2004, 04:21 PM
I am satisfied with Curry, although I still don't know why they have not signed Randy Holcomb, except now that I think about it he might have signed overseas.

able
12-13-2004, 04:28 PM
uuhh oops

able
12-13-2004, 04:36 PM
sowwy, he plays in the Greek A1 league:

http://www.eurobasket.com/GREteam.asp?Team=277

Kstat
12-13-2004, 05:14 PM
Mike Curry....re-united with Rick Carlisle......oh.my.god.

Mike Curry is a very nice defensive player.

He's unselfish.

He plays within the team system.

And you will all curse the day you signed him.

Have fun with the defenses not even bothering to guard curry on the floor....it sure played hell on my mind for 3 years......

I'm sure most of you remember my priceless curry rants from 2 years ago.....

Kstat
12-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Defenses really bother to guard anyone on the floor at this point anyway, and I can't argue with their results having won 7 straight. Besides, it's not like he's going to get off the bench more than a couple minutes right now, or even be on the roster in a month.

See, thats EXACTLY the same thing I heard from Raptors fans last year. And Curry was the starting SF within a month.

For your sake, I hope you're right, I really do. I wouldn't wish Michael Curry on anybody.

But Carlisle's love with Curry knows no bounds. Its really disturbing.

Kstat
12-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Meh, playing in favor of a rookie Prince is a lot different than riding the pine for Tremaine Foulkes. If he's playing more than 10 minutes per game at any point, or on the roster when our suspensions are up, I owe you a cookie.

You're on. And I want mine peanut butter. Wish sprinkles.

Kegboy
12-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Personally, I think this is wonderful. I was disappointed when we didn't sign him to begin with.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/curry_fowlkes_041213.html

Curry’s Signing Should
Bolster Pacers’ Defense

By Conrad Brunner | Dec. 13, 2004
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As President of the National Basketball Players Association, Michael Curry has spent the past few weeks as a defender of the Pacers.
As a veteran forward signed Monday, he is now a defender for the Pacers.

Curry, 36, joined the team for practice Monday afternoon and will be in uniform Tuesday night in Atlanta when the Pacers play the Hawks.

"He's an excellent individual defender and he's a great team defender," said Coach Rick Carlisle. "He'll help shore up our defense, which is an area of weakness right now, at both the three and four spots. In the short term, that should help us. ..

"He has added something everywhere he's been. As a veteran guy that's been in a lot of games and in a lot of big games, I think he helps us in the locker room and I think he helps us on the court. And I think he helps us at the defensive end, which is where we're really struggling right now."

A 6-5, 210-pound forward from Georgia Southern University, Curry has plenty of familiarity with the Pacers' schemes. He played for Carlisle in Detroit from 2001-03, and for Kevin O'Neill with Toronto last season. O'Neill is one of Carlisle's assistants.

"I've had a chance to watch them play," said Curry. "The thing about defense, the way you win defensively, it's not about what one or two guys can do. It's how you communicate as a unit and how you work in sync as a unit. Hopefully, I can add to that. There are some great athletes on this team, so they're able to do a lot of things, defensively. Sometimes, they're not communicating on the court. Hopefully, I can help in that area because when you communicate, it makes it a lot easier."

Curry was undrafted out of Georgia Southern in 1990, where he teamed with first-round pick Jeff Sanders (Chicago, 1989). He bounced around Germany, Belgium, France, the USBL and CBA before breaking into the NBA full-time with Detroit in 1995. After two seasons with the Pistons, he spent two seasons in Milwaukee before returning to Detroit, where he remained from 1999-03. He was traded to Toronto prior to last season for Lindsey Hunter. Curry is in his 12th NBA season.

To make room for Curry on the roster, the Pacers waived Tremaine Fowlkes, who averaged 2.4 points in eight appearances.

"He's an experienced guy and right now veteran experience is something we feel can help us," Carlisle said. "We had an opportunity to look at some younger guys that we liked as prospects. We knew going in that there could be some rotation of players throughout this. But this is where we are and we're happy to have Mike here."

Though the Pacers are riding a seven-game losing streak and are 3-8 since the NBA suspensions of Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest, Curry is optimistic about his new team's ability to weather the storm. O'Neal and Jackson were both at practice Monday and will return next month.

"You're going to go through tough times," Curry said. "They've gone through tough times, and they've had a lot of guys out (with injuries). There's a chance you can go on a six- or seven-game losing streak with everybody being healthy.

"The way the players have worked and the way the coaching staff prepares the players, I think they've demonstrated great basketball. Even in this losing streak, they've played some great basketball. You continue to do that, continue to get guys healthy and hopefully with some additional things I can help the team with, hopefully we can move forward."

Curry and the NBPA have appealed the suspensions. There was a hearing in New York last Thursday, and the union and the players are awaiting the ruling of arbitrator Roger Kaplan, which is expected later this week. Kaplan must first rule if he had jurisdiction to hear the grievance. Once he rules, the union and NBA likely will face a court battle to determine whether his decision can be legally enforced.

"We have to learn from (the incident)," Curry said. "It was uncharacteristic, I think, all the way around the board. As a union, we're going to fight for those guys that were suspended just as we would for any player in this league because that's what the union is supposed to do. Hopefully, we can get the suspensions reduced and everybody can move forward with their careers." First off, I must question the Four spot reference. Sorry Rick, I don't see it. :confused:

Besides that, Curry has always been a top notch team defender, which is what we need. I love the quote about communication. Everybody who's been to a game the last 3 weeks can tell you we're not talking enough on D. IMO, worse case scenario is Curry at least gives you a player-coach who can get it into players minds to talk to each other on the court.

[:devil:]Frankly Curry reminds me alot of McKey in his later years. Sure, you'll get ***** on offense, but Derrick could still defend with the best of them, even that last year in Philly. [/:devil:]

Kegboy
12-13-2004, 05:56 PM
Also, Curry's having a chat Wednesday at 3pm. I bet there will be one question about his playing condition, one question about playing for Rick and Kevin again, maybe one question about the CBA negotiations, and 7-8 questions about the appeals.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatNBA?event_id=6768

Kegboy
12-13-2004, 05:59 PM
Speaking of the player-coach thing, I just thought of something. Assuming Mike Brown gets a head job this summer, anybody else think they'll hire Curry to replace him? I used to think/hope it'd be Person, but Jay has got me thinking bench coaching isn't Chuck's cup of tea.

TheSauceMaster
12-13-2004, 06:08 PM
I don't think offense has been our problem the last 7 games , it's been the defense.

MagicRat
12-13-2004, 06:15 PM
Speaking of the player-coach thing, I just thought of something. Assuming Mike Brown gets a head job this summer, anybody else think they'll hire Curry to replace him?
I'm thinking this thread needs to be moved to DSP......:blush:

Los Angeles
12-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Speaking of the player-coach thing, I just thought of something. Assuming Mike Brown gets a head job this summer, anybody else think they'll hire Curry to replace him? I used to think/hope it'd be Person, but Jay has got me thinking bench coaching isn't Chuck's cup of tea.
You mean these are your picks above Reggie?! Oh ... my ... goodness!

After seeing Reg's behavior during his injury, it's as if he's MADE for the job.

Shade
12-13-2004, 06:28 PM
I knew it was only a matter of time. I guess he couldn't really be much worse than Fowlkes...

...could he? :shrug:

King Mob
12-13-2004, 06:52 PM
He can.

He will be a great mentor and provide a veteran stability, and that's about it. But until you watch in horror as opposing teams double whoever has the ball all game long with their SF you will not understand the pain Michael Curry can cause a basketball fan. The thing is, he doesn't even try to score. You'll marvel at his crisp ball movement as the ball is kicked out to him, and he immediately kicks it back in again. Oh, he'll throw down the occasional left-handed jam, and shoot his creaky jumper if the shotclock is at .01 and no one's within 3 feet of him, but that's about it.

King Mob
12-13-2004, 06:53 PM
If you have the roster space, I would not be surprised if he remains with the Pacers the rest of the season though. He really will mentor the young ones, and he knows exactly what Carlisle and O'Neill are trying to do with the team.

Kegboy
12-13-2004, 07:13 PM
You mean these are your picks above Reggie?! Oh ... my ... goodness!

After seeing Reg's behavior during his injury, it's as if he's MADE for the job.
Reggie has repeatedly stated he has no interest in being a coach. His bench behavior says otherwise, going all the way back to the WBC, but he keeps saying no way.

If Reggie wants to sit on the bench next year, I'm sure he'll just take the $6M to do it as a player, not the chump change an assistant makes.

Kegboy
12-13-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm thinking this thread needs to be moved to DSP......:blush:
Okay, you got me. What's DSP?

Millerartest
12-13-2004, 09:11 PM
I liked what I saw of Curry in Detroit. It isn't like the Pacers have anybody worth double-teaming anyhow. This Pacer team could use someone who doesn't make stupid mistakes and can do a little better than hold his own on defense. Curry should fit that role. Why they would sign Fowlkes for Curry in the first place is beyond me. Veteran leadership is too often underestimated.

sixthman
12-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Unless Curry finds the fountain of youth, he'll be gone by the time his 10 day contracts run out. I'd imagine the fact the Pacers didn't want to guarantee Tremaine's contract had something to do with his departure.

When S-Jax, and, hopefully, Bender arrives, too, Curry will be a non factor, if he is on the roster at all.

Los Angeles
12-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Unless Curry finds the fountain of youth, he'll be gone by the time his 10 day contracts run out. I'd imagine the fact the Pacers didn't want to guarantee Tremaine's contract had something to do with his departure.

When S-Jax, and, hopefully, Bender arrives, too, Curry will be a non factor, if he is on the roster at all.You're waiting for BENDER to ride in on a stallion?!

:whip2:

MagicRat
12-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Okay, you got me. What's DSP?
It's the dark underbelly of Pacers Digest....not that I've ever visited it.....:innocent:

Kegboy
12-14-2004, 01:55 AM
It's the dark underbelly of Pacers Digest....not that I've ever visited it.....:innocent:
Oh, that's still around? Somewhere along the line I guess I lost my privileges. Guess I'm too moral. :sarcasm:

Hicks
12-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Oh, that's still around? Somewhere along the line I guess I lost my privileges. Guess I'm too moral. :sarcasm:
Do you want them back?

Fool
12-14-2004, 11:49 AM
You're on. And I want mine peanut butter. Wish sprinkles.

Wish sprinkles are my personal favorite as well.

[Signing Curry definately deserves a third page.]

Kegboy
12-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Do you want them back?
:shrug: I guess. As long as I don't go to hell for it, or anything. :angel: