PDA

View Full Version : I Think I should be the Pacers PA Announcer!

JOneal7
12-12-2004, 05:03 AM
I used to always want to do that! And everyone in orlando thought I Should do it for the magic cause paul porter couldn't always do it. I remember doing it for a game in orlando and everyone loved it! Paul porter said I take some of his traites and use em well...if any of yall don't know paul man he's awesome...HE IS THE BEST PA ANNOUNCER IN THE LEAGUE..Period...That guy in detroit sounds stupid. But I think I should be that person :)...no lie..aha
I wonder If I could apply somehow...the guy we have now is dead...and the other dude who we had for the kings can't even get our players names right ...hmmm

Ragnar
12-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Wow that would be fun for a game. The older people would have no idea what the hell you would be talking about half the time. Scratch that most of the time, but at least you would know who the players were.

Hicks
12-12-2004, 10:14 AM
I'd be nervous as hell, but if I could get over that, I'd have a blast doing that at a Paceres game.

ABADays
12-12-2004, 10:14 AM
You got that right?

What happened to Reb Porter? Did Baker just fill-in for him last night?

MagicRat
12-12-2004, 10:15 AM
You got that right?

What happened to Reb Porter? Did Baker just fill-in for him last night?
From what I can tell, Reb doesn't work Saturday nights.......

ABADays
12-12-2004, 10:25 AM
Wow - good for him. Saturday night is date night - even at his age.

stipo
12-12-2004, 10:49 AM
I remember the Orlando announcer as the one who used to use that irritating echo effect whenever Shaq used to score. Shaq-aq-aq-aq-aq-aq!!!!!!!!

MSA2CF
12-12-2004, 12:56 PM
That guy last night just wasn't the same...This was the first game I've ever been to without Reb doing the announcing, and it bugged the heck out of me. It just was not the same. People around me would do the 'two-wah' because this new guy just won't do it!

themachotaco
12-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Surprisingly, Jerry Baker does the Press Box PA for Colts games and does an admirable job -- in fact I've never noticed a flub (although he might be getting help from the statisticians). BUT he was awful last night. Henry Bibby was hilarious -- but most of the time he was giving misinformation or missing information all together (Reb does a nice job of updating you on subs out of a timeout -- none of that last night). I just expected Baker to have had a better grasp of basketball after doing TV and all previously -- but he just seemed tentative and rushing to get through and not have to talk again. (Interestingly enough, Baker might have been an 'audition'... a week or two ago he resigned as Sports Information Director for the IHSAA)

Now they had a guy last season who did Pacers PA on Porter's off-nights who also did the Fever games -- but I never paid enough attention to learn his name. He definitely could not match Porter, but could have run circles around Baker...

Finally -- anyone else think our awful three-point percentage had anything to do with Baker on PA? I kept thinking that when we kept missing -- it was because the PA guy would not know what the heck to say (although Reb's: "Home-run!" is certainly no "Boom Baby!").

ABADays
12-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Home run was the given name for the 3-pointer when it originated in the ABA. Baker is an old ABA announcer.