PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Bball
08-17-2006, 12:49 AM
This is Spinal Tap. First time I've seen it all the way through, although I had already seen all the funniest bits. The Stonehenge scene is hilarious no matter how many times I watch it, though.

IndyToad
Wassup wassup

Watch the outtakes. They are almost as long as the movie itself (if not longer). There's some funny stuff that got cut from the movie. Basically there's some tour bus stuff that all got cut. The girls they pick up in the motel lounge actually appear later in several scenes (IIRC) in the background now traveling with the band (but was cut). There was more to the aluminum foil covered cucumber that was cut.

More stuff with Bruno Kirby that was cut. IIRC there was more with Billy Crystal (mime) that got cut as well.

-Bball

Pig Nash
08-17-2006, 12:53 AM
Garden State, good movie.

campy
08-17-2006, 12:55 AM
Debbie Does Dallas

Pacersin6
08-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Primer

Very clever. I had to wtach it twice to pick up every detail though.

Brick

Interesting. A film noir in a high school setting. Really liked it.

Overnight

I always hated "The Boondock Saints" and I saw BP reference it so I thought I would check it out. Duffy has no clue as to what is reality. I loved how he though he knew more about music than any other band ever. Classic.

dannyboy
08-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Bamboozled
Tupac: Resurrection
Little Miss Sunshine
Friday

Pig Nash
08-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Snakes on a Plane. Best. Movie. Ever.

Kegboy
08-18-2006, 01:04 AM

I was wondering who would be the first to an early showing.

Pig Nash
08-18-2006, 01:07 AM
That would be me, baby.

birdman
08-18-2006, 11:59 AM

I saw the early showing too. I whole-heartedly agree. It got a standing ovation in my theater.

Stryder
08-18-2006, 12:00 PM
"Snakes on a Plane"

"That's it, I have had it with these mother****ing snakes on this mother****ing plane!"

Awesome. That's all I can say. I went to a 10 pm showing last night. The theater was full. Some dude was dressed up as a mother****ing snake! And his buddy was dressed as a mother****ing plane!

Great summer movie. Pure camp and fun.

Unclebuck
08-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Best movie ever? Really. Do you mean it is so bad it is good. Or do you really mean it is the best movie ever.

I haven't seen it, and won't unless someone drags me to it

Mourning
08-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Best movie ever? Really. Do you mean it is so bad it is good. Or do you really mean it is the best movie ever.

Wise words spoken :bowdown:

Anyone seen "Fragile"?

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Stryder
08-18-2006, 01:58 PM

So bad that it is good.

sweabs
08-20-2006, 12:05 AM
I just finished watching The Descent.

I am going to have nightmares...seriously.

FireTheCoach
08-20-2006, 05:55 AM
I watched the Robin Williams movie "RV" last night with my two kids. We laughed all the way through it.

Mourning
08-20-2006, 08:17 AM
I had nothing to do last night, so I put on "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" which I have in my DVD collection for about 3 or 4 years, but never felt like looking (ok, ok it was a present). Actually, I liked it.

I'm going to "Hard Candy" tonight.

Regards,

indytoad
08-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Noises Off. Hilarious. I loved it.

Memoirs of a Geisha. Quite excellent, although we all agreed that the ending didn't seem to fit.

Saboteur. I guess this is the non-enlightened part of me saying this, but I didn't think it was very good. Hitch can't win 'em all.

IndyToad
They all look the same to me

Stryder
08-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Matchpoint

Very good. I enjoyed it alot. A movie about being lucky. And allusions to Dostoevsky and Crime and Punishment, Dial M for Murder, and An American Tragedy. Sure, there were a few plotholes, but what movie doesn't have some?

My only question, was Nola really pregnant? The cops did not mention it, and I'm sure she would have written about it in her diary...if Woody Allen wanted the movie to be about luck and/or dumb luck why would she be lying?

N8R
08-21-2006, 12:06 AM
The descent

Such a weird and freaky movie. I had a dream last night that I was hunting the creatures from the movie.

Bball
08-22-2006, 01:13 AM
"Snakes on a Plane"

You get snakes.... you get a plane... You get them together! And you get a new classic movie line. What more could anyone want in cinema?

-Bball

avoidingtheclowns
08-22-2006, 02:04 AM
i just watched Hitchcock's "Notorious" for the first time.

Peck
08-22-2006, 04:07 AM
Harry & the Hendersons.

Twes
08-22-2006, 05:29 AM
The last movie I saw in the theater was Inside Job.

The last dvd was Cinderella Man.

DisplacedKnick
08-22-2006, 06:43 AM
In a theatre was SOAP.

DVD - Running Scared. If you like fairly well done violence I thought this was quite good - will completely depend on whether you sympathize with the protag.

Also saw V for Vendetta which was OK. Not really my kind of movie.

bulletproof
08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
"Snakes on a Plane"

You get snakes.... you get a plane... You get them together! And you get a new classic movie line. What more could anyone want in cinema?

Oh, I don't know, substance?

bulletproof
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
i just watched Hitchcock's "Notorious" for the first time.

I'm not really a huge Hitchcock fan, but I loved "Notorious."

Shade
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM

Who needs substance when you have mother****ing SNAKES on a mother****ing PLANE!?

Gyron
08-22-2006, 12:35 PM
I watched Nanny Mchphee....(Don't ask, the wife wanted to watch it...)

The plot pretty much sucked but you could see everything coming from a mile away in that movie.

Definitely a kids movie, and a bad knock-off of mary poppins.

Mourning
08-22-2006, 01:43 PM
Saw "Hard Candy" last night. I liked it. Picture a 14-year old girl getting into contact with a much older guy (a paedophyiliac) on the net and them meeting in the real world, going to his place ... and well then things going a lot different then you would anticipate. Psychological thriller.
A little far-sought, but not totally unimaginable either. Definitely worth seeying.

link: http://hardcandymovie.com/

Regards,

avoidingtheclowns
08-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Saw "Hard Candy" last night. I liked it. Picture a 14-year old girl getting into contact with a much older guy (a paedophyiliac) on the net and them meeting in the real world, going to his place ... and well then things going a lot different then you would anticipate. Psychological thriller.
A little far-sought, but not totally unimaginable either. Definitely worth seeying.

Regards,

this is funny. last semester at my college i directed a one-act comedy called "Hard Candy". the play is a series of 10 hilarious job interviews... the movie is MUCH different. well the movie had either just come out around that time or would be coming out. and a lot of people said they weren't sure if they should come to my play because they heard what the movie was about... just thought i would share that unimportant bit of trivia.

Bball
08-23-2006, 12:09 AM

They had a substance they used to make the snakes aggressive.

Snakes...a plane... and some substance.

-Bball

avoidingtheclowns
08-23-2006, 03:39 AM
just watched "Pi"

Skaut_Ech
08-23-2006, 07:30 AM

Regards,

I really want to see this. I wrote myself a note months ago, just so I wouldn't forget to find it and see it. I read about this movie months ago. We tend to be pretty like-minded, so now I definitley have to find it. I didn't think anyone else had even heard of it.

Mourning
08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
just watched "Pi"

That's a good movie, but I had to see it two times to really appreciate it.

Regards,

Mourning
08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
I really want to see this. I wrote myself a note months ago, just so I wouldn't forget to find it and see it. I read about this movie months ago. We tend to be pretty like-minded, so now I definitley have to find it. I didn't think anyone else had even heard of it.

I liked it. Not an absolute topper, but certainly worth seeying IMO.

Regards,

bulletproof
08-23-2006, 11:15 AM
I walked out of it.

Stryder
08-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I walked out of it.

Why?

bulletproof
08-23-2006, 11:02 PM
Why?

Actually, my friend wanted to walk out before me. I just didn't care enough to stick around. It looked purty though. To be fair, the thriller genre is one of my least favorites.

N8R
08-23-2006, 11:03 PM
The Hills Have Eyes

Very gory and kinda weird but a good watch nonetheless. The ending leaves a lot to the imagination of the indiviual

Stryder
08-24-2006, 06:21 AM
The Hills Have Eyes

Very gory and kinda weird but a good watch nonetheless. The ending leaves a lot to the imagination of the indiviual

And The Hills Have Eyes 2 is being released March 2007.

N8R
08-24-2006, 03:32 PM
That will be something I watch. I wonder if they will start where they left off or get another family to maul.

Twes
08-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I'm watching v for vendetta..right now.

Sucks. Very disappointed.

What the hell has happened to the quality of movies.

Stryder
08-25-2006, 11:01 PM

You really think V sucks? Why?

avoidingtheclowns
08-26-2006, 03:14 AM

i suppose it depends on your definition of "quality movies" ... i can think of a bunch of more recent movies i've seen that have been 'quality'.

Mourning
08-26-2006, 05:05 AM

:amen:

I hated it too.

Twes
08-26-2006, 07:49 AM
I just couldn’t identify with it.

The lead character (long haired dufus in the mask) wasn’t believable to me at all.

I guess I could understand the premise but the script and acting just didn’t grab me

I thought it was a whiney meandering spoof film.

Hicks
08-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Little Miss Sunshine. I'll be picking up the DVD of this; enjoyable.

Bball
08-26-2006, 11:34 AM
"The Hills Have Eyes"

Not much to say that hasn't been said...

-Bball

grace
08-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Invincible

Overall I thought it was a good movie but I wasn't thrilled with some of the camera work (particularly the first day of camp when the coach is giving his rally the troops speech--it made me dizzy).

Not sure this is really a spoiler or not, but just in case. I'm dying to know what Vince's ex-wife thinks now. :laugh:

And for all the old farts some of the music is pretty good.

Kegboy
08-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Invincible

It was fine. Not on the same level of fellow Disney "true sports" movies like Glory Road or Remember the Titans, though. Kinnear does a surprisingly good job as Vermeil, getting a lot of his mannerisms down very well.

The ending is a bit much, though:

I knew he had a fumble recovery in Vermeil's first win, but I sure wasn't expecting him to run it in for a touchdown. I google'd it, though, and I guess he really did do just that, but the return was called back. Also, the audible happened in a different game, where he also forced a turnover.

And yes, the camera work could have been better. But it works well as a character study. I wouldn't even call it a sports movie, more of a fandom movie. Papali's dad's line "That touchdown got me through 30 years...", and Vermeil's pregame talk before the Giants game about why they're there. That's what sports are really about, and it's something I wish more athletes realized. Latrell Sprewell should be shackled to a chair and forced to watch the movie 20 times straight.

DrBadd01
08-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Little Miss Sunshine.

Highly enjoyable. I will definetly see it agian.

Kegboy
08-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Transporter 2

Fun movie. I was surprised that I liked it as much as the first. I may just have to go see Crank now.

pacercoltfan
08-27-2006, 05:06 PM
The Posideon! Great movie! :2tup:

pollardfreek
08-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Billy Madison aka: The greatest movie of all time.

DrBadd01
08-27-2006, 10:25 PM
Silence of the Lambs.

Ron who?
08-28-2006, 02:02 AM
Snakes on a plane and Taladega nights

Stryder
08-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Final Destination 3

- I liked it alot better than the first two movies. The deaths just kept on coming. And some of them were surprising.

Skaut_Ech
08-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Alfie

I thought it captured the spirit of the original and I enjoyed it, (I'm glad they didn't go for the typical American happy ending) BUT, why do keep remaking classic movies? Man, that irritates me. If it's a classic, that means there's no reason to re-make it.

What I'd like to see is for someone to take a movie that did marginally well and "fix" it, with a nod to the original, but with a different title. Kind of a reimagining of the original.

Watching Alfie was my penence for having my wife sit through two not so pleasant movies. (Open Water and 1st half of Syriana.)

bulletproof
08-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Billy Madison aka: The greatest movie of all time.

Uhhh...no.

DisplacedKnick
08-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Final Destination 3

- I liked it alot better than the first two movies. The deaths just kept on coming. And some of them were surprising.

Really?

You're right about the deaths but they did zero character development. When it came time for someone to be killed my response was generally, "I'm sick of you - time for you to die."

Not that they did a huge job of CD in the first 2 but I at least cared a little bit.

Stryder
08-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Really?

You're right about the deaths but they did zero character development. When it came time for someone to be killed my response was generally, "I'm sick of you - time for you to die."

Not that they did a huge job of CD in the first 2 but I at least cared a little bit.

I don't watch these types of movies for character development. I only watched to see how they would cheat death (and in the end, we can come to the realization, that noone can cheat death)...

avoidingtheclowns
08-28-2006, 11:47 AM
What I'd like to see is for someone to take a movie that did marginally well and "fix" it, with a nod to the original, but with a different title. Kind of a reimagining of the original.

sort of ocean's 11-y

Mourning
08-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Silence of the Lambs.

A Classic! Still one of my favorite thrillers of all time or better said of all thrillers I have seen :D:D:D.

I Hated "Hannibal", while "Red Dragon" was pretty good, but not superb IMO. "Silence of the Lambs" is by far the best of the three, again IMO.

Regards,

Mourning
08-28-2006, 01:24 PM
Alfie

I thought it captured the spirit of the original and I enjoyed it, (I'm glad they didn't go for the typical American happy ending) BUT, why do keep remaking classic movies? Man, that irritates me. If it's a classic, that means there's no reason to re-make it.

Watching Alfie was my penence for having my wife sit through two not so pleasant movies. (Open Water and 1st half of Syriana.)

I loved "Syriana", indeed not a "feel good" movie, but I really liked it.

Regards,

Kegboy
08-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Uhhh...no.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

DisplacedKnick
08-28-2006, 10:22 PM
A Classic! Still one of my favorite thrillers of all time or better said of all thrillers I have seen :D:D:D.

I Hated "Hannibal", while "Red Dragon" was pretty good, but not superb IMO. "Silence of the Lambs" is by far the best of the three, again IMO.

Regards,

Hannibal was pathetic - I'm amazed Hopkins even took the part. He went from a guy who enjoyed screwing with your brain to Jason with a British accent.

This isn't about that but IMO Red Dragon is a better book than Silence. Both good though. The Silence film captured the book much better than Red Dragon - one of the better movies at portraying the essence of the main characters.

Mourning
08-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Hannibal was pathetic - I'm amazed Hopkins even took the part. He went from a guy who enjoyed screwing with your brain to Jason with a British accent.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Funny AND true!

This isn't about that but IMO Red Dragon is a better book than Silence. Both good though. The Silence film captured the book much better than Red Dragon - one of the better movies at portraying the essence of the main characters.

I didn't read any of the books, so you could very well be right. Either way with regards to the movies I liked "Silence of the Lambs" better, but was VERY pleasantly surprised by "Red Dragon" after the garbage that was "Hannibal". Btw IF they EVER made a movie with that title again it should be about the brilliant military leader with that name.

Regards,

Indy Group
08-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Talladega Nights - it was worth the money!

Stryder
08-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Silent Hill

- Eh, if you liked the games, I bet you will like the movie. Interesting. Not really scary, per se, but it was strange and sets a weird mood. I did like the "fog" of Silent Hill, almost wish it could have been "foggier". A little interpretation is needed for the end. Very creepy. Probably the best video game to movie adaptation there is. The first hour or so is great.

bulletproof
08-29-2006, 11:40 PM
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Touché.

DisplacedKnick
08-30-2006, 06:49 AM
I didn't read any of the books, so you could very well be right. Either way with regards to the movies I liked "Silence of the Lambs" better, but was VERY pleasantly surprised by "Red Dragon" after the garbage that was "Hannibal". Btw IF they EVER made a movie with that title again it should be about the brilliant military leader with that name.

Regards,

For years Vin Diesel has wanted to play in a movie about Hannibal - I saw an interview where he hoped he was becoming a big enough star to push it through - he'd done a lot of pre-production work including, I believe, a script.

edit: After a search: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382731/

sweabs
09-02-2006, 12:52 AM
White Men Can't Jump.

dannyboy
09-02-2006, 01:09 AM
The Last Dragon
California Suite
Breakin'
Rashomon

indytoad
09-02-2006, 08:49 AM
Snakes on a Plane. Delivered exactly what was promised, no more and no less.

The Trouble with Harry. Great dark comedy - very British sense of humor for an American film.

Little Miss Sunshine. Also a great dark comedy.

IndyToad
Makes you stupid

Vicious Tyrant
09-02-2006, 08:55 AM
OK, now this might sound corny, but I watched an old opera-made-movie called the Tales of Hoffman made back in the sixties. If you've ever been interested in opera, this is a great place to start. A completely wonderful movie experience. Great singing, great sets, and lots of imagination.

bulletproof
09-02-2006, 09:14 AM
OK, now this might sound corny, but I watched an old opera-made-movie called the Tales of Hoffman made back in the sixties. If you've ever been interested in opera, this is a great place to start. A completely wonderful movie experience. Great singing, great sets, and lots of imagination.

A Powell & Pressburger film. Not corny at all. I've been wanting to see it. If you get a chance, check out their film "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp." These guys were fantastic filmmakers. I just bought their film "Black Narcissus" on DVD and can't wait to watch it. It's supposed to be one of the most gorgeously photographed films ever.

Arcadian
09-02-2006, 11:28 AM
The Matador--great preformances by Brosnan and Kinnear. Some of the best dialogue I've heard in a while.

Vicious Tyrant
09-02-2006, 03:38 PM
A Powell & Pressburger film. Not corny at all. I've been wanting to see it. If you get a chance, check out their film "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp." These guys were fantastic filmmakers. I just bought their film "Black Narcissus" on DVD and can't wait to watch it. It's supposed to be one of the most gorgeously photographed films ever.

Yeah, that's right!

I had no idea they did Black Narcissus. Is that the one about the Buddhist monastery (sp?) way up high on a mountain in Tibet? Wow, that was great! How cool. I saw that a long time ago and the huge drop off next to the temple always made a big impression on me. Powell and Pressburger, eh? I'll have to keep that name in mind. The DVD had an ad for another movie called the Red Shoes I've been looking for - it looked pretty good.

Thanks for the tip!;)

Hicks
09-02-2006, 04:42 PM
An Evening With Kevin Smith. I had a blast.

sweabs
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Rushmore.

Skaut_Ech
09-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Little Miss Sunshine.

It would have been VERY easy for them to go over the top in a lot os scenes. Their restraint made for a very enjoyable movie.

I also watched Shiri. (http://www.mediacircus.net/shiri.html) I don't what it was, but I was kinda bored for hald the movie. Yeah, yeah, most succesful film in south Korean history, but the charactres were pretty one-dimensional. Really detracted from the movie.

Okay, I got a question for you guys. It's something that bugs me and my wife.

Does it bugs you seeing comedies in the theater?

Let me make an analogy. Ever been to a cocktail party and someoen tells a mildly amusing story, yet someone reacts by laughing way too loud and way too long, almost inappropriately so? It's like they are so buzzed it doesn't matter what was being said, they already had it in their mind to laugh like a maniac, no matter what.

We kept getting that at Little Miss Sunshine. It's like there were a couple of people in the theater who were so excited to see the movie, they were determined to laugh loud and long, even when nothing was going on on the screen. It was to the point of being distracting.

I've noticed that happen to just about every comedy I see in a theater. Every throwaway line is a source of huge, theater racking laughs. Weird. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?

Gyron
09-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Inside Job- Decent movie, but damn they moved around in time so much you never knew if you were watching present, past or future .....

Coach Carter-Good Movie. I enjoyed it. Didn't see then ending coming with the loss. But it actually made for a pretty good ending.

RWB
09-05-2006, 08:47 AM
I also watched Shiri. (http://www.mediacircus.net/shiri.html) I don't what it was, but I was kinda bored for hald the movie. Yeah, yeah, most succesful film in south Korean history, but the charactres were pretty one-dimensional. Really detracted from the movie.

What was hard to figure out? It was a movie about a Korean chick who liked to kick *** and cut off heads. :D

On a side note....and no I'm not trying to advertise for Movie Gallery, but they are have their used DVD sale again with the buy 2 get 2 free and all older titles marked down to $5 bucks. I was able to pick up Why We Fight, and Der Untergang (Downfall) in the cheapo stack.

dannyboy
09-05-2006, 10:39 AM
We kept getting that at Little Miss Sunshine. It's like there were a couple of people in the theater who were so excited to see the movie, they were determined to laugh loud and long, even when nothing was going on on the screen. It was to the point of being distracting.

I saw this movie in a theater and the people you're referring to were sitting right next to me. Not more than five minutes would go by without them laughing hysterically. I almost started wondering if I was missing some of the jokes/humor. I didn't know whether to be annoyed by them or jealous that I wasn't having so much fun.

N8R
09-05-2006, 01:40 PM
When a Stranger Calls

One of the worst movies I have ever seen. I will blame it on the woos girls I was watching it with cause they were too scared to watch something else.

AesopRockOn
09-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Ace Ventura - Alllllrightey Then!

Isaac
09-06-2006, 02:32 PM
The Illusionist. Very good, but I hate how many movies reveal the plot that way now. You know, they show one person standing there and thinking and they go back and show a bunch of the scenes over again, and then all of a sudden they get what happened. Other then that, very good movie. Boy oh boy... Jessica Biel :drool:

Mourning
09-07-2006, 05:04 PM
The Illusionist. Very good, but I hate how many movies reveal the plot that way now. You know, they show one person standing there and thinking and they go back and show a bunch of the scenes over again, and then all of a sudden they get what happened. Other then that, very good movie. Boy oh boy... Jessica Biel :drool:

I definitely want to see that one too when it comes out here.

Bball
09-08-2006, 01:07 AM
"United 93"

I'm not sure how to write a review for it. It was a good movie and I think people should watch it. It was emotional, raw, and intense. It doesn't exactly seem right to say "I enjoyed it" or "I liked it" though.

-Bball

Pig Nash
09-08-2006, 01:30 AM
I LOVED Little Miss Sunshine. I was laughing a lot at it, but I didn't laugh unless something was funny.

sweabs
09-08-2006, 02:11 AM
I watched a couple movies tonight.

Grilled. It featured Ray Romano and Kevin James, and I found it to be a very enjoyable film. Not what I was expecting, but it was good.

Slither. Cool movie. I liked it - neat idea.

Hicks
09-08-2006, 06:38 AM
"United 93"

I'm not sure how to write a review for it. It was a good movie and I think people should watch it. It was emotional, raw, and intense. It doesn't exactly seem right to say "I enjoyed it" or "I liked it" though.

-Bball

That's how I felt. It's why I ordered the DVD, but may not watch it right away. I mainly wanted it for something to have to watch later on; I wasn't aching to see it quickly again, but I felt it was an important movie to have and to be able to show people who haven't seen it.

N8R
09-10-2006, 02:15 PM
I watched a couple movies tonight.

Grilled. It featured Ray Romano and Kevin James, and I found it to be a very enjoyable film. Not what I was expecting, but it was good.

Slither. Cool movie. I liked it - neat idea.

Both good movies. Grilled was different than I thought but funny nonetheless and Slither was a gross out. Slither is made by the same people who did the remake of Dawn of the Dead so there is a lot of the same style going on.

lumber man
09-10-2006, 02:30 PM
DVD- "The Astronauts Wife" (sucked)

Theatre- "Lady in the Water" (loved it!)

Mourning
09-11-2006, 07:44 AM
DVD- "The Astronauts Wife" (sucked)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That one IS bad, yes :).

DrBadd01
09-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Hero.

I liked it.

Gyron
09-11-2006, 10:40 AM
LAst Holiday. Entertaining

RWB
09-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Forget taking sedatives, put in a copy of Storefront Hitchcock......Robyn Hitchcock. At least I can use the case for another dvd.

Isaac
09-11-2006, 01:25 PM
I LOVED Little Miss Sunshine. I was laughing a lot at it, but I didn't laugh unless something was funny.

Yeah, that's usually what causes me to laugh too.

indytoad
09-11-2006, 10:56 PM
V for Vendetta. Pretty good. Not sure whether I liked the movie or the comic better. Each had separate yet equal positives and negatives.

Caddyshack. Ah ha ha, now I get all those references.

Full Metal Jacket. Hilarious and grim and surreal and...just a fantastic movie in every respect.

Alone in the Dark. Unfortunately, not up the standard of Ed Wood-bad that Uwe Boll has otherwise delivered. Not to say that it wasn't terrible, because it was.

IndyToad
The mutant Dalai Lama

Isaac
09-12-2006, 02:35 PM
V for Vendetta. Pretty good. Not sure whether I liked the movie or the comic better. Each had separate yet equal positives and negatives.

The movie sort of toned down the whole anarchist idea behind the comic books.

Hicks
09-12-2006, 04:31 PM
I liked V for Vendetta somewhat, but I couldn't help but look down on V for essentially saying "murder and torture are OK as long as it's for MY greater good".

Pig Nash
09-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Yeah, that's usually what causes me to laugh too.

This is in response to someone saying that people were laughing at not funny bits. :-p

Isaac
09-12-2006, 05:00 PM
I liked V for Vendetta somewhat, but I couldn't help but look down on V for essentially saying "murder and torture are OK as long as it's for MY greater good".

Well, he wasn't doing it for his own greater good, he was doing it for the countries greater good. True, his hatred stemmed from something that was done to him, but that wasn't his motivation. If I lived in a one party state like that I would support a violent movement.

This is in response to someone saying that people were laughing at not funny bits. :-p

I know. Just looking at that sentence by itself though, made me laugh, which we have established meant that it was quite funny.

:lol:

DisplacedKnick
09-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Decided to be lazy tonight and grabbed a couple of DVD's.

Poseidon - meh - OK I guess. Nothing special.

United 93. Figured I'd watch it while my annual 9/11 "mood" is still with me. Very impressive. I'll be buying this one.

grace
09-14-2006, 12:55 AM
Broken Bridges.

Eh. Unless you live near one of the two theaters that are showing it in the Indy area I say wait until it comes out on DVD.

McClintic Sphere
09-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls- directed by famous big boob fetishist Russ Meyer, screenplay by none other than Roger Ebert. Almost incomprehensible drug, orgy, hollywood scene of the 70's movie.
Some kind of weird socio-political thing at the end with the party impressario going on a killing rampage, including his butler, who was wearing a nazi uniform on the beach. This one would have been great fodder for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

sweabs
09-17-2006, 01:51 AM
He Got Game - My favourite movie.

Hicks
09-17-2006, 08:28 AM
Clerks. I like Clerks II more.

AesopRockOn
09-17-2006, 04:45 PM
United 93: shows how incompetent the military and the other people on the ground were during the whole mess. If I saw the terrorists and they tried to kill me, I'd run up to them and kick em in the nuts. ION, the movie was pretty moving except parts of the beginning which include too much of the stuff from the ground which got very boring; I'd say just skip to the end of the film if possible.

Unclebuck
09-17-2006, 10:54 PM
United 93: shows how incompetent the military and the other people on the ground were during the whole mess. If I saw the terrorists and they tried to kill me, I'd run up to them and kick em in the nuts. ION, the movie was pretty moving except parts of the beginning which include too much of the stuff from the ground which got very boring; I'd say just skip to the end of the film if possible.

Boring?

OK

SycamoreKen
09-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Boring?

OK

We don't need no stinking back story!

We went and saw Tall. Nights yesterday. Insanely stupid, but still funny in parts.

Bball
09-18-2006, 01:41 AM

I didn't think it showed the military and other people on the ground as incompetent at all. I thought it showed some of them having some real leadership and attempting to work thru a scenario that they just never had seriously planned for. It showed confusion and concern and a lack of a blueprint of interconnect between various entities. They had to think on their feet and did that pretty well individually but the handoffs weren't smooth because they were into uncharted territories. Not to mention the looming and growing possibility of needing to shootdown passenger jets and people having trouble with that concept with so much underlying confusion.

How long had it been since US aviation had to deal with a hijacked airline in the first place? Let alone several at once. And of the ones they'd encountered in the past, how many actually had the pilots being incapacitated and the hijackers taking over the piloting of the plane? And finally... using the planes as missiles and heading to targets unknown instead of just flying back to some airport where they listed some demands?

I suppose it could be said that it was incompetent that this scenario wasn't played out in well-rehearsed drills and already in some manuals somewhere. But overall I thought the movie treated this episode as a 'sucker punch' and 'surprise attack'. Initially, if you are the people on the ground, you don't know you are seeing a new scenario unfold. Not at first anyway.

I just didn't get the feel that the people on the ground were shown to be incompetent. Far from it in some cases. Just ill prepared for a nightmare scenario encountered for the first time.

-Bball

DrBadd01
09-18-2006, 01:24 PM

Which Version did you see. the Mirimax one or Kevin Smiths original cut?

Hicks
09-18-2006, 04:25 PM
The Mirimax one.

Gyron
09-18-2006, 04:52 PM
Coach Carter again.

indytoad
09-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Psycho. Is Norman Bates a fantastic villain or what? Forget Alien vs. Predator, it should've been Bates vs. Lecter. It would be like My Dinner with Andre, but evil.

Mirrormask. Saw a description at IMDb that summed it up perfectly: Alice in Wonderland as performed by the Cirque du Soleil. Took me back to all the great fantasy movies of my childhood.

Lady in the Water. I can see why people didn't like it - definately not M. Night's best. Had a lot of flaws (poor character development, awkward exposition, Bob Balaban's disastrous character), but I still enjoyed it. Even with such a wierd story, Shyamalan is still better at crafting suspense than any director out there now.

IndyToad
A sense of poise and rationality

N8R
09-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Jackass: Number Two

Very good if you like that kind of humour. I would recommend for anyone who is a fan cause this is better than the first one.

avoidingtheclowns
09-24-2006, 03:13 PM
i don't think this really counts but.... LEWIS BLACK: Live on Broadway

lumber man
09-24-2006, 04:38 PM
That's saying alot, I may have to go see part 2.

vapacersfan
09-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Jet Li's fearless.

I enjoyed it, although I did hate all the captions at the bottom of the screen

N8R
09-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Napolian Dynamite

vapacersfan
09-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Napolian Dynamite

A very random sidenote, but did you know he only got paid $1000 to play that role?

Natston
10-02-2006, 08:14 AM
The Road Warrior

First Mad Max movie that I have seen, and I liked the premise somewhat but the story was paper thin. Although I hate it when people do it, I couldn't help but imitate Mystery Science Theater 3000 through parts of it. The tanker sequence at the end was fun but it won't make me watch the movie again for quite awhile.

Raskolnikov
10-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Click

I enjoyed it. It got surprisingly intense for a while.

DrBadd01
10-06-2006, 04:23 PM
The Road Warrior

First Mad Max movie that I have seen, and I liked the premise somewhat but the story was paper thin. Although I hate it when people do it, I couldn't help but imitate Mystery Science Theater 3000 through parts of it. The tanker sequence at the end was fun but it won't make me watch the movie again for quite awhile.

Mystery Sceince Theater 3000 was a great movie. :)

AesopRockOn
10-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Click

I enjoyed it. It got surprisingly intense for a while.

It pretty much ripped off of A Wonderful Life but it definitely had a few people crying in the theatre (including one of my friends who isn't gay) when it was out. Pretty much the same old Waterboy jokes though Sandler is getting kind of old.

Isaac
10-06-2006, 05:27 PM
Mystery Sceince Theater 3000 was a great movie. :)

Mystery Science Theater isn't a movie.

Unclebuck
10-06-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm really looking forward to seeing "Departed" the reviews have been glowing.

Peck
10-07-2006, 01:33 AM

Um....

http://umsis.miami.edu/~eberman/Page%205_files/Alternate%20Mystery%20Science%20Theater%203000%20M ovie%20Poster%20(posted%20with%20MM%20XIII).jpg

Here is the IMDB writeup of it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117128/

It was released in 1996.

travmil
10-07-2006, 02:05 AM
I saw The Departed at UA Eagle Highlands Friday night. Let me first start by saying that if you really liked Scorsese's Goodfellas and Casino, you need to go immediately to see this film. I would put it on par with Casino, but not quite the film that Goodfellas is. It's a FAR better film than his more recent efforts. The greatest part about this film is the dialogue. There are seriously laugh out loud funny lines all throughout this movie. The way the characters interact with each other, their insults and jabs, their Boston accents, everything about the writing and delivery of dialogue truly makes this film. That's hard to pull off in a film filled with such gratuitous violence, and to be sure, Scorsese has never made a more violent film. However, the violence is all within the context of the story and it's not so bad that it's hard to watch. If you go to see it pay particular attention to Mark Wahlberg's show stealing performance. I see a Best Supporting Actor nod in his future. For that matter, I can't see any other film from this year so far winning Best Picture. I cannot recommend this movie enough for those who enjoy crime dramas and Scorsese crime dramas in particular.

DrBadd01
10-07-2006, 02:12 AM

Sure it is

http://imdb.com/title/tt0117128/

avoidingtheclowns
10-07-2006, 12:52 PM
I saw the Departed last tuesday and loved it. I agree with the comments about Mark Wahlberg stealing scenes and I would add that I felt the same way about Alec Baldwin (maybe not an oscar nod...). Nicholson was great too...almost over the top. The dialog is fantastic.

Before that I watched the mock-documentary "C.S.A. - The Confederate States of America" which was interesting. The style was especially interesting for a mock-doc because they broke it up in the film as they might on the History Channel and inserted fake commercials. It is an interesting idea to examine what would have changed with the South winning the Civil War. As far as execution it wasn't stellar. But it was interesting none-the-less.

DrBadd01
10-08-2006, 01:08 AM
The Departed- Loved it!!!!

Kegboy
10-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Top Gun

Hard to believe it's been 20 years. They just retired the F-14.

The older I get the worse the acting in it gets. However, I do have to remember if I ever run into Tim Robbins to say, "I loved you in Top Gun!"

:evillaugh

Unclebuck
10-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Top Gun

Hard to believe it's been 20 years. They just retired the F-14.

The older I get the worse the acting in it gets. However, I do have to remember if I ever run into Tim Robbins to say, "I loved you in Top Gun!"

:evillaugh

When people ask me what movies I hate the most, the two I always say are "Top Gun" and "Armageddon".

Part of it was "Top Gun" came out when I was in high school and everyone loved it and I like to be different so I hated it, but the truth is I really did hate it. Another movie like that was "Footloose"

Stryder
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
When people ask me what movies I hate the most, the two I always say are "Top Gun" and "Armageddon".

Part of it was "Top Gun" came out when I was in high school and everyone loved it and I like to be different so I hated it, but the truth is I really did hate it. Another movie like that was "Footloose"

Why do you hate Top Gun?

Kegboy
10-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Why do you hate Top Gun?

Because he's un-American. The Footloose thing confuses me, though. If he thinks dancing is the devil's work, wouldn't he have complained about the Pacemates by now?

:confused:

grace
10-08-2006, 07:33 PM
Why do you hate Top Gun?

Because all the girls he went to high school with drooled over the volleyball scene.

Unclebuck
10-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Why do you hate Top Gun?

Every movie cliche is in that movie.

Kegboy
10-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Every movie cliche is in that movie.

No, they didn't have the "MIG 28's can't do a 4G negative dive" cliche. That movie was ground breaking, damn it!

Mourning
10-09-2006, 01:26 AM

Well, I thought "Top Gun" was ok, Tim Robbins played in that one? It's been more then 15 years since I last saw it.

Anyhow, aggreed on "Armegeddon", has to be one of the worst bigger productions ... ever!!! I truly hate that movie.

"Footloose", I used to love, again as with "Top Gun" the last time I saw it must have been close to 15 years ago.

Regards,

DisplacedKnick
10-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Watched "Inside Job" last night. Pretty poor considering the cast IMO.

Actually - it flat-out sucked considering the cast.

Mourning
10-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Watched "Inside Job" last night. Pretty poor considering the cast IMO.

Actually - it flat-out sucked considering the cast.

Finally someone who aggrees with me on this. I was SO dissappointed when I left the cinema.

Regards,

Isaac
10-09-2006, 03:03 PM
I stand corrected, I didn't realize MST had come out with a movie.

It's a TV show first and foremost though.

Skaut_Ech
10-10-2006, 11:58 AM
That's hard to pull off in a film filled with such gratuitous violence, and to be sure, Scorsese has never made a more violent film. However, the violence is all within the context of the story and it's not so bad that it's hard to watch.

I'm sorry, it's been bugging me for days. It's not gratuitous violence if it's within the context of the story, right? You pretty much contradicted yourself. Either it's gratuitous or it's within the context, but it can't be both. :sorry: :zip::)

I LOVED The Departed. I loved that Scorcese is one of the few directors with the clout and smarts to not make his movie has typical Hollywood hapy endings. I wouldn't compare it to Casino as much as I would Mean Streets. He REALLY got down the rhythyms and feel of street lingo for the area, just like Mean Streets did.

What's amazing is how he managed to ratchet up the tension level halfway through and keeps it till the final credits. There is not a weak link from the performances of ANYONE. Unbelievable film. I can't reccomend this movie enough. Light years better than anything I've seen this year.

DrBadd01
10-10-2006, 02:21 PM
I'm sorry, it's been bugging me for days. It's not gratuitous violence if it's within the context of the story, right? You pretty much contradicted yourself. Either it's gratuitous or it's within the context, but it can't be both. :sorry: :zip::)

I LOVED The Departed. I loved that Scorcese is one of the few directors with the clout and smarts to not make his movie has typical Hollywood hapy endings. I wouldn't compare it to Casino as much as I would Mean Streets. He REALLY got down the rhythyms and feel of street lingo for the area, just like Mean Streets did.

What's amazing is how he managed to ratchet up the tension level halfway through and keeps it till the final credits. There is not a weak link from the performances of ANYONE. Unbelievable film. I can't reccomend this movie enough. Light years better than anything I've seen this year.

Does this mean that Scorsesse will FINALLY get the Best Director Oscar he deserves?

travmil
10-11-2006, 12:18 AM

You're right. I should have said most of the violence is within the context of the story.

Bball
10-11-2006, 09:47 PM
"Click"
Is there anyway I can get those couple of hours I dedicated to watching this back?

I tried every remote I had but no luck.

This may be the worst movie I've seen this year.
I had no problem with the acting but plot and actual implentation of the concept were bad... and boring... and semi predictable. And where they weren't exactly predictable, it would've been better off being predictable there too.

-Bball

AesopRockOn
10-12-2006, 12:58 AM
Click was the most predicatable movie of the year but far from the worst (See Fast and the Furious 3). I pretty much expected what I got which wasn't much either way. And, having worked at a theater while the movie was showing, I can confirm that a lot of women were crying or at least touched. It's really not a guys movie like past Sandler movies. But Sandler is past his short lived prime and we must now put up with the great young commedians of this day...maybe I'll just watch old movies.

Natston
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Walking Tall

Was actually way better than I expected. Suprisingly, the Rock's acting skills pretty saved what was a terribly directed and developed movie.

While it wasn't good by any stretch, I wouldn't have any trouble watching it again...

RWB
10-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Because all the girls he went to high school with drooled over the volleyball scene.

Rumor had it that scene was directed by the Village People guys.

Kestas
10-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Howl's Moving Castle and a couple of Lithuanian films

10-15-2006, 12:33 AM
CRANK with Jason Statham, very good action movie, loved it & i recommend it!

and

BUTTERFLY EFFECT 2 ... i loved the first movie so i had great expectations, but this movie sucked, the actors were good but the script of the movie sucked so bad and so many stupid stuff happen that doesnt make sense, especially the ending, do NOT see this movie, trust me!

DrBadd01
10-15-2006, 12:47 AM
Man of the Year.

I liked it. They advertise it as a comedy, but in reality it is has a lot more to it. Laura Linney really steals the show in it.

Unclebuck
10-18-2006, 03:32 PM
"Jesus Camp" I read a few of the reviews and I expected it be really radical, but I thought it was mild and had no problem with about 80-85% of it, there were a few cringe worthy moments and a few things I don't believe in. I would imagine it would scare my liberal friends to death.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-19-2006, 01:54 AM
The Marine. If you want non-stop entertainment for an hour and a half, I highly suggest you see it. I liked it a lot.

Robobtowncolt
10-19-2006, 05:00 PM
The Departed.

Uh.....yeah.

efx
10-19-2006, 05:36 PM
"Gitmo"

It was a Swedish documentary about well, gitmo, and the one swedish guy who sat there for 2+ years and then was released.

It's a real toe-tapper...:/

Natston
10-19-2006, 08:46 PM
The Departed.

Uh.....yeah.

Yeah what?

Unclebuck
10-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Saw "the Departed" today and yes it is a really good. I liked it more than Goodfellas. Watching the Departed I felt the same way as as I did when I watched "LA Confidential".

AesopRockOn
10-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Watched Man of the Year: seriously, it just wasn't funny enough, not enough of Williams' randomness and sponteneity; too much drama for a satire too; should have just kept it nonstop RW considering I just also watched his hilarious standup from 2002; lewis black is funny but a cheaper substitute for dave koechner; its was ok but not worth paying for. The Departed on the other hand...

Unclebuck
10-20-2006, 10:18 PM
Watched Man of the Year: seriously, it just wasn't funny enough, not enough of Williams' randomness and sponteneity; too much drama for a satire too; should have just kept it nonstop RW considering I just also watched his hilarious standup from 2002; lewis black is funny but a cheaper substitute for dave koechner; its was ok but not worth paying for. The Departed on the other hand...

I saw "Man of the Year" also and I have a different take. I would have enjoyed the movie more if Robin Williams wasn't in the movie at all. Linney was great, Walkin is always great but Robin Williams IMO was too distracting. But I guess I liked the drama part of it, the satire part to me was very flat.

Overall they tried to be 3 movies in one and in the end it just wasn't a very good movie.

Isaac
10-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Saw "the Departed" today and yes it is a really good. I liked it more than Goodfellas. Watching the Departed I felt the same way as as I did when I watched "LA Confidential".

Ok, we can agree on the first part, The Departed is really good. Better then Goodfellas?? No freakin way?

LA Confidential = Bad, bad, boring movie.

Unclebuck
10-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Ok, we can agree on the first part, The Departed is really good. Better then Goodfellas?? No freakin way?

LA Confidential = Bad, bad, boring movie.

OMG. "LA Confidential" boring - I can't believe anyone would think that - I really like it.

For some reason I didn't really like "Goodfelles" my memory of it was just all violence and no intrigue, no suspense, but I've only seen it once and I've never iunderstood why everyone says it's so good. I mean it was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but I didn't think it was anything better than just good. Maybe I should see it again sometime.

Isaac
10-20-2006, 10:30 PM
OMG. "LA Confidential" boring - I can't believe anyone would think that - I really like it.

For some reason I didn't really like "Goodfelles" my memory of it was just all violence and no intrigue, no suspense, but I've only seen it once and I've never iunderstood why everyone says it's so good. I mean it was a good movie, don't get me wrong, but I didn't think it was anything better than just good. Maybe I should see it again sometime.

I think I feel the same way about LA Confidential as you do about Goodfellas.

Goodfellas really doesn't have all that much violence, there's some, but its in the context of the story. Remember Goodfellas is a true story too.

I'll give LA a second look if you give Goodfellas a second look. ;)

Unclebuck
10-20-2006, 10:40 PM
I'll give LA a second look if you give Goodfellas a second look. ;)

OK

Leisure Suit Larry
10-21-2006, 02:02 AM
I just saw the Departed too. Pretty crazy movie.

Mourning
10-21-2006, 07:08 AM

L.A. Confidential is one of my favorite crime/suspense movies.

Regards,

Skaut_Ech
10-21-2006, 12:15 PM
L.A. Confidential is one of my favorite crime/suspense movies.

Regards,

I am SOO with ya, Mourning. It got royally screwed by the Oscars. That was the year I decided to never watch the Academy Awards again.

indytoad
10-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Renaissance. Managed to hit every cliche across several film genres. The visual interest wears off very quickly and there's nothing underneath, not even a mildly interesting story or cool action sequences.

IndyToad
Miserly

Stryder
10-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Finally saw "Hard Candy".

Pretty good. I like Ellen Page as Kittie Pride though. Haha.

Hicks
10-21-2006, 07:35 PM
The Prestige. Pretty enjoyable, but I was a bit confused at the end. I get what basically happened, but I couldn't piece all of the little things together.

317Kim
10-21-2006, 10:15 PM
I just watched Poseidon this afternoon.

It stressed me out, but it was an okay movie.

N8R
10-22-2006, 10:23 AM
The Departed

Very good movie and I would suggest to everyone

AesopRockOn
10-24-2006, 11:35 PM
Team America - **** yeah as always

dannyboy
10-24-2006, 11:53 PM
The Jericho Mile
Rounders
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
The Departed

Bball
10-25-2006, 01:09 AM
"The Sentinel"

:yawn:

-Bball

DisplacedKnick
10-28-2006, 08:10 AM
Saw The Departed yesterday and really liked it - until the last 10 minutes. I'd go into more detail if I remembered how to use the spoiler icon but they spent 2 hours building up to where we could have a confrontation between these 2 guys and instead of really exploring it they ended it that way. Too simplistic after the rest of the movie - a Charles Bronson ending to a Fatal Attraction (I'd say Bound but nobody I know's seen it) type film.

Unclebuck
10-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Saw The Departed yesterday and really liked it - until the last 10 minutes. I'd go into more detail if I remembered how to use the spoiler icon but they spent 2 hours building up to where we could have a confrontation between these 2 guys and instead of really exploring it they ended it that way. Too simplistic after the rest of the movie - a Charles Bronson ending to a Fatal Attraction (I'd say Bound but nobody I know's seen it) type film.

I heard Dan Patrick a couple of days ago talk about how he hated the ending of the movie, and that ruined the whole movie for him. He said even though there were good parts of the movie the ending made him not like the movie as a whole.

This isn't directed at you DK, but I know a lot of people who won't like a movie no matter how good 98% of it is if the ending isn't good. And I just don't understand that way of thinking. Often times to me the ending is the least important part (depending on what type of movie it is).

The ending of the Departed I thought was good, certainly not great and certainly not as good as the rest of the movie, but it certainly doesn't ruin the whole movie mainly because the climax had occurred somewhat earlier. Maybe some people have a sporting event mentality about it and they consider the ending of a movie to be the final score in some ways

DisplacedKnick
10-28-2006, 09:55 AM
I heard Dan Patrick a couple of days ago talk about how he hated the ending of the movie, and that ruined the whole movie for him. He said even though there were good parts of the movie the ending made him not like the movie as a whole.

This isn't directed at you DK, but I know a lot of people who won't like a movie no matter how good 98% of it is if the ending isn't good. And I just don't understand that way of thinking. Often times to me the ending is the least important part (depending on what type of movie it is).

The ending of the Departed I thought was good, certainly not great and certainly not as good as the rest of the movie, but it certainly doesn't ruin the whole movie mainly because the climax had occurred somewhat earlier. Maybe some people have a sporting event mentality about it and they consider the ending of a movie to be the final score in some ways

I still like it but IMO the ending took it from being something that would be really memorable to just OK.

Maybe a better compariosn would be Silence of the Lambs. IMO both movies did a fantastic job building tension, developing relationships to bring out that tension, etc, through the body of the film.

In one movie the climax continued the twists and turns and utilized all that tension for the final 10-15 minutes. In the other, it took about 2 and was done.

One movie I bought, the other I won't bother seeing a second time though I wouldn't consider it a waste of money either.

Unclebuck
10-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I still like it but IMO the ending took it from being something that would be really memorable to just OK.

Maybe a better compariosn would be Silence of the Lambs. IMO both movies did a fantastic job building tension, developing relationships to bring out that tension, etc, through the body of the film.

In one movie the climax continued the twists and turns and utilized all that tension for the final 10-15 minutes. In the other, it took about 2 and was done.

One movie I bought, the other I won't bother seeing a second time though I wouldn't consider it a waste of money either.

Ending just aren't that important to me. Besides the "Sixth Sense" I don't recall endings as either making or breaking a movie. I think the ending of Sixth Sense made the whole movie into something much more than it otherwise would have been. But I don't there aren't any other movies where the ending impacted whether I liked the movie or not. The only thing I don't like is when the ending seemingly goes on too long. "Minority Report" which I thought was very good and still do, but that ending seemed to go a little long, as did the "LOTR, Return of the King".

The average movie is 120 minutes long and it seems to me that if the first 119 minutes is great but the last minute isn't so good, that shouldn't erase the first 119.

lumber man
10-28-2006, 11:44 AM
The Prestige. Pretty enjoyable, but I was a bit confused at the end. I get what basically happened, but I couldn't piece all of the little things together.
i felt the same way, i think my problem was that i was overthinking it. it's actually a pretty simple ending

Hicks
10-28-2006, 11:47 AM
I've been somewhat surprised that the ending of Departed ruined it for so many. It's a jolt to be sure, and I would have preferred a happier ending for Leo, but I still thought all in all it's an enjoyable, quality movie.

By the way, to use spoiler code, just put it between ]spoiler[ and ]/spoiler[ with the brackets going the other way of course.

N8R
10-28-2006, 03:19 PM
Death to a President

It was a good idea and a cool way to show things but it was boring as hell. Too many interviews and bad actors.

Unclebuck
10-29-2006, 12:46 AM

I just saw it tonight and I really don't know what to say about the movie. I honestly don't know if I liked it or not. I will give them credit for trying something pretty bold and something very different - I think it was a good movie, just not sure if I liked it

Pig Nash
10-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Thank You For Smoking. Nick Naylor is the best character I've seen in a while, good movie.

Also, I've been watching a lot of Kevin Smith movies, which I haven't found a bad one out of.

Leisure Suit Larry
10-29-2006, 01:32 AM
Thank You For Smoking. Nick Naylor is the best character I've seen in a while, good movie.

Also, I've been watching a lot of Kevin Smith movies, which I haven't found a bad one out of.

someone went to the union tonight

317Kim
10-29-2006, 10:36 AM
Lucky Number Slevin.

Great movie!

N8R
10-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Dazed and Confused

Hadnt seen it in a while, but I have seen it more than anything else.

indytoad
10-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Time Bandits. Really wierd. Like pretty much every Gilliam movie ever.

IndyToad
Could go all the way

SycamoreKen
10-31-2006, 01:43 AM
Hocus Pocus. My wife watches it every year at Halloween.

Pig Nash
10-31-2006, 10:51 AM
The Truman Show, pretty good.

Isaac
10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Lucky Number Slevin.

Great movie!

I actually know the guy who directed that movie. Unfortunately, he's in rehab now.

I saw Saw 3 the other day. Kind of disappointing compared to the first two, but by itself its ok.

AesopRockOn
10-31-2006, 05:35 PM
The Truman Show, pretty good.

Pretty good compared to The Godfather? Truman Show was a masterfully written script with fantastic performances all around. Tons of symbolism and quotables. Extremely underrated since people think JC is only about silly humor.

Leisure Suit Larry
11-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Slither...crazy **** right there

Leisure Suit Larry
11-05-2006, 02:29 AM
Borat...see it as soon as possible

Hicks
11-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Flags of our Fathers.

Unclebuck
11-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Flags of our Fathers.

Was it good

Hicks
11-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I thought so.

Lord Helmet
11-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Flags of our Fathers.
I'm going to have to check it out.

Lord Helmet
11-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Another thing that's pissing me off, Borat isn't being shown anywhere close to me.

I heard it's because it's offended people. :unimpress

I love it when something I want to see or watch or listen to, is took away because some select people don't like it. It takes away our freedom of speech.

I didn't think we lived in a fascist nation...:unimpress

AesopRockOn
11-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Another thing that's pissing me off, Borat isn't being shown anywhere close to me.

I love it when something I want to see or watch or listen to, is took away because some select people don't like it. It takes away our freedom of speech.

Lol; it's so damn funny. Hesitating to call it a comedy classic but it will not disappoint if you sort of know what you are in for.

Mourning
11-05-2006, 05:33 PM
"Fragile", ok, nothing spectacular. "16 Blocks", ok, nothing spectacular.

Regards,

Mourning
11-06-2006, 08:04 PM
"Shooting Dogs" Great movie (and it sounds so wrong to type something like that about a topic so hofrofying as the Rwanda genocide, but this movie in my opinion is what "Hotel Rwanda" should have been.

Regards,

AesopRockOn
11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
"King of New York" mad underrated and a hell of a performance from Walken and young Fishburne and Snipes; catch up on this gangsta classic if you haven't yet.

Pig Nash
11-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Almost Famous. Good.

Isaac
11-07-2006, 01:36 PM

Actually it just didn't get a wide release. It isn't playing anywhere close to me either I had to go for a bit of a drive to see it.

I think I went in to this movie with such incredibly high expectations that there was no way it could live up to them. My immediate reaction was that it was kind of disappointing, but in hindisight it was really hilarious, I want to see it again.

mekoxavier1
11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Silent Hill. It was good for a video game movie.

Natston
11-08-2006, 04:19 AM
Mission Impossible & Inside Man

Meh on both

Bball
11-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle.

Dumb.... but funny :D

I liked it, but after watching "Click" a few weeks ago, all movies are looking like masterpieces these days. Click really set the bar LoW for me. Worst movie I've seen in a long time.... but that's me...

-Bball

Pointz
11-09-2006, 07:33 AM
Saw Fearless in theatres and it was good. Jet Li seems to have gotten better with age.
Rented The Omen the remake on DVD and it was mediocre at best.

Pitons
11-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Glory (1989). 71st ??? :confused: time. A very good war drama (one of the best) with spectacular acting and directing. Wonderful performance from Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman, Matthew Broderick and others.

Unclebuck
11-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Almost Famous. Good.

I liked that movie a lot - I should see it again

Stryder
11-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Finally watched "Primer".

Very good journey. You probably have to watch it twice to pick up the details. Interesting physics involved. I believe it was shot on a budget of $7,000.

AesopRockOn
11-09-2006, 07:36 PM
The Prestige; more story than character driven but a good movie nonetheless.

Fearless was okay; nice scenary shots but not much story there. I knew American audiences would enjoy it though.

DisplacedKnick
11-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Was bored and rented Silent Hill. Not bad for a horror/thriller. Not great but OK - had some plot. And I've liked Rahdja Mitchell since Pitch Black.

Stryder
11-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Was bored and rented Silent Hill. Not bad for a horror/thriller. Not great but OK - had some plot. And I've liked Rahdja Mitchell since Pitch Black.

I still say it is probably the best video game to movie adaptation there has been.

indytoad
11-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Borat...had a lot of scenes that were really hilarious (the rodeo, everything in New York and Atlanta, the garage sale), some scenes that fell flat (the Pentecostal revival, the college road trip), and some scenes that just went a bit too far for me (the fight with his manager). I also really want to know if the last scene with Pamela Anderson was staged. If not, wow.

IndyToad
Never come back here again

Skaut_Ech
11-10-2006, 10:22 AM
A Mighty Wind!!

OMG, this is killing me. I'm watching it right now. Of course, it's an edited version on Comedy Central, but now, I MUST get the DVD. It's not laugh out loud funny. It's one of those ones where youy have a near constant smile of amusement. Very funny.

Okay, just got back from Borat. Some stuff doesn't quite work, but when I laughed, I laughed so hard I couldn't speak. This is movie that will sucker punch you for laughs. An older couple (late sixties) lewft halfway through. It was right at the wrestling part, for those of you who saw it.

One thing that was a bit disappointing for me was how many youngsters were there who..just...didn't..get it. Borat makes some pretty cutting slams on American culture, but the kids were too thrilled at the nudity and potty humor. Overall, well worth the time to see it in a theatre and feed off the laughter of the crowd. Insane movie.

DrBadd01
11-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Borat. . . . . All I can say is wow. Parts of it were very funny. However, there were other parts that would offend some people. In the screening I was in 10-15 people walked out because they were offended. I also would like to know if that Pamela Anderson seen was staged, because that totally took me by surprise.

Stryder
11-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Borat. . . . . All I can say is wow. Parts of it were very funny. However, there were other parts that would offend some people. In the screening I was in 10-15 people walked out because they were offended. I also would like to know if that Pamela Anderson seen was staged, because that totally took me by surprise.

I think she knew "something" was going to happen, but wasn't told specifically.

Ron who?
11-12-2006, 03:40 AM
last movie i watched was Borat.... it was some of the most hilarious **** i've seen in my life... the thing was is that he made all the jokes that the rest of us are scared to make and cracked some jokes, althought very offensive to certain people, would make the rest of the crowd laugh their asses off... the Jew Egg, and the Jewish bed and breakfast were about as offensively funny as it gets

if u take these jokes seriously this movie isnt for you... if your a little more open minded and if ur not a minority ur fine... and certain minorities didnt get picked on... like im Indian (southern Asia) i mean i suppose u could like Borat to India just because many people do that but all in all the jokes were in good fun

Lord Helmet
11-12-2006, 04:01 PM
I finally saw Borat and I loved it.

:laugh:

The wrestling with his manager.....:laugh:

This movie was great.

Bball
11-13-2006, 06:26 PM
"The Great Escape"

It was on HDNet movies late last night... Now I can randomly whistle that theme song for the next few days as it lingers in my head.

-Bball

Natston
11-13-2006, 06:34 PM
So I Married An Axe Murderer

Bleh.

Unclebuck
11-13-2006, 08:26 PM
I generally don't like to see comedies in a crowded movie theater, as I hate it when you have some obnoxious people who laugh at anything and everything and I miss half the dialogue.

Kegboy
11-14-2006, 06:08 PM
The Prestige

Very boring. The whole movie I was five or six steps ahead of them. There was one thing I couldn't figure out. I did know someone wasn't who they were presented to be, but they hadn't given me enough info to work it through, so I was pretty much staring at my watch for the last half hour waiting for the reveal.

N8R
11-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Borat

Amazing

indytoad
11-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Thank You For Smoking. Pretty clever. The ending reminded me a lot of that Family Guy episode where Peter became a lobbyist.

IndyToad
Awesome in so many ways

JBones19
11-17-2006, 10:50 AM
The Prestige

Very boring. The whole movie I was five or six steps ahead of them. There was one thing I couldn't figure out. I did know someone wasn't who they were presented to be, but they hadn't given me enough info to work it through, so I was pretty much staring at my watch for the last half hour waiting for the reveal.

Wow, see I saw this movie last night and loved it. I thought the whole story was pretty entertaining and cool, but yes, there were parts that I figured out in advance. So you didn't like/predicted all of the plot twists? I'm a big Christian Bale and Scarlett Johansson fan though so maybe I'm baised, and I loved "Memento."

AesopRockOn
11-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Wow, see I saw this movie last night and loved it. I thought the whole story was pretty entertaining and cool, but yes, there were parts that I figured out in advance. So you didn't like/predicted all of the plot twists? I'm a big Christian Bale and Scarlett Johansson fan though so maybe I'm baised, and I loved "Memento."

I wrote the same thing a while ago. :)

Finally, watched City of God; damn, there's just something about those gangster/drug movies that get me. Fantastic story and characters with great acting considering no one was really a professional actor/actress. A movie like this is way more effective in letting people in the US know about the troubles of the world than a documentary about AIDS, which I watched/slept through in class today. Anyways, check it out; it might break your heart or at least help you appreciate your life more.

Kegboy
11-17-2006, 08:47 PM

Oh, Memento's great, and I like everybody who made this. But I expected a movie that challenged me, or at least was interesting. I literally spent the last hour waiting to tick off every reveal. I'm fine with a movie being predictable if it's entertaining, but between reveals it was just a turid mess.

Pointz
11-18-2006, 09:27 AM
I took my daughters to go see "Happy Feet" last nite and it was a very good family film with lots of humor and singing.

DrBadd01
11-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Casino Royale

First off Daniel Craig is a geat Bond. He really brings a breath of fresh air to the character. his supporting cast is also equally as good. The storyline as some may already know goes back to Bonds roots at MI6, and shows that Bond is human. There are things that Craig's Bond did that I don't thing Brosnans would of done.

Hicks
11-19-2006, 09:54 AM
Casino Royale

Very good; and deeper (more layers) than Bond films have been in the past decade. I like the more humane side of Bond shown here.

Mourning
11-19-2006, 10:03 AM
"The Merchant of Venice" I liked it, but there will undoubtedly be a lot of people that would get turned-off by the use of words.

Just bought "United 93" last night. I had already seen it in the cinema and I just needed to have it. IF you haven't seen it, take your time until you think you can and/or want too, because eventually you have to see this one. Increadibly intense, in your face, emotional and well told. Truly a great movie IMO.

Regards,

Skaut_Ech
11-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Casino Royale

Very good; and deeper (more layers) than Bond films have been in the past decade. I like the more humane side of Bond shown here.

Just got back from it. A smart Bond film and one that doesn't pander to gimmicks and crowd pleasing lines. I don't know that I would call it a more "humane" Bond as I would a more "human" Bond. They've stripped Bond down from being a icon and made him a man, with failings and weaknesses.

It's a trend of previously cartoonish films (Batman immediately comes to mind), that I really like. If I had to compare him to a previous Bond, I'd say he's like Sean Connery's with more introspection and more brutish in his fighting. Matter-of-fact, I loved the fight scenes. There's no stylish, karate moves or eye rolling use of items nearby. When Bond fights a guy, it's like he's trying to beat the guy to death. The fights took on a really primal feel.

And Daniel Craig is wonderful as Bond. All these jerks who were protesting his casting without the filming having even started yet should take out full page ads for a week apologizing. Strong, smart movie with solid, unpretentious acting. I absolutely can't wait for the next Bond film. Way to wise up, Broccoli family.

(And when you others see it, tell me if you don't find all the prominant product placements a little annoying. I guess I founf it more funny than annoying when you see them making a conscious effort to have the brand name linger on the film.)

Unclebuck
11-19-2006, 03:47 PM
There hasn't been a Bond movie that I've even kinda liked over the years. But the reviews on this one appear pretty good. But unless someone drags me to see it, I'd rather see any of about 10 films before I see a Bond movie

Kegboy
11-19-2006, 08:30 PM
There hasn't been a Bond movie that I've even kinda liked over the years. But the reviews on this one appear pretty good. But unless someone drags me to see it, I'd rather see any of about 10 films before I see a Bond movie

Too bad Michael Bay's Transformers doesn't come out until Summer. ;)

Unclebuck
11-19-2006, 11:13 PM

Do you mean he's still directing films.

Hicks
11-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Yes, I should have said human not humane.

Stryder
11-20-2006, 09:59 AM

Why do you not like any of the Bond movies? Expound, if you please.

Stryder
11-20-2006, 10:00 AM

Transformers is going to be awesome! At least I hope so...

Unclebuck
11-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Why do you not like any of the Bond movies? Expound, if you please.

Let me first say that I really don't like "action movies". There are exceptions, like the first Die-Hard, Aliens, and there are a few others. One thing I don't like about Bond films is the plots are so convoluted and they rarely make any sense at all - I don't expect them to be realistic, but at least make the plots more down to earth. For these movies to be any good the plots have to be good because there certainly won't be any character development.

More than anything I get extremely bored watching Bond movies and I've probably seen everyone of them - at some point I decide enough is enough and I just want the thing to end. For me to like a movie I need to care about the characters - that doesn't mean I have to like them, but I have to at least care a little. Short of that the plot better be fantastic.

Just for referrence I hated the Pirates movie this past summer. I felt violated

AesopRockOn
11-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Do you mean he's still directing films.

Lol if that's a Team America reference.

New Bond is fantastic btw.

dannyboy
11-21-2006, 11:22 AM
The Incredibles
The Godfather Part III
House Party
Trouble Man

indytoad
11-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Casino Royale. Skaut Ech summed up my feelings on the subject perfectly. Probably the best Bond movie I've ever seen.

IndyToad
Move your car

DrBadd01
11-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Bobby

This was a very powerful movie. The cast, the premise, the different perspectives shown in the film. All of it was very well done. Highly Reccomended.

Bball
11-24-2006, 01:09 PM
"Cars"-"DaVinci Code"-"Hoosiers"

"Cars" disappointed me a bit. I expected something a little more "Shrek-like" in humor and I didn't think it was there.

DaVinci Code I enjoyed. Altho it was like a better "National Treasure" more than anything. Lots of turns in it and I wonder if I was to watch it again if some of the turns would fall apart (have holes in them set up previously that you forget about later on that made them make less sense). And many of the turns were predictable. A case where after a while there's so many that you know there will be a 'turn coming here too'.

"Hoosiers" I've watched for about the 100th time. Excellent movie in my opinion. The 20th anniversary version is 16:9 and has nicer look about it than the original DVD. The movie itself is unchanged (no deleted scenes or director's cut version) but the pic quality is much better. Makes the cinematography look much more impressive. Especially in many of the outdoor scenes. Lots of trivia and questions answered in the bonus features of the 20th Anniversary edition as well.

-Bball