PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

N8R
04-02-2006, 12:57 AM
The Goonies

Jose Slaughter
04-02-2006, 04:57 AM
March of the Penguins

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BI5KV0/qid=1143966868/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8573552-3676162?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

Very well done but unless your into that type movie you probably wouldn't care for it.

Whale Rider

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CABBW/qid=1143967033/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-8573552-3676162?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

I'd been wanting to see this for awhile. I was not disappointed. The story line is a little predictable but there is enough conflict amongst the main characters to make up for that.

Keisha Castle-Hughes as Pai, did a very good job bringing her character to life. The kid is going to be amazing good looking when she gets a little older too.

N8R
04-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Gone in 60 Seconds

Mourning
04-03-2006, 02:56 PM
I went to the cinema to see two movies.

The first I saw was "Capote". I really liked this one, though somewhere in the middle the movie got a lot less capturing then the start, which I thought was very close to brilliant. Even though the middle part did a little less for me the first 40 minutes really made this movie for me.

Then I went to see "V - for Vendetta". What a piece of CRAP! Seriously! The story could have been interesting if there weren't these underlying political statements that were as shallow as they get. I'm not a conservative, but IF I had been one, I would feel pretty offended by what the moviemakers would presume that I would view as my views.

The message is basically, let love rule, everybody means good (except the conservatives), the west is pretty anti-Islam, etc.

Really, waste of my money. I have a principle of not walking out on movies, done it only once, but I got close this time. I pride myself with hanging the inner strength to stay and force myself to watch the movie until the end.

On itself the topic of the movie is interesting and some of the things worked into it aswell, but the way they worked it all out. Awfull in my opinion. Ahwell, I'm sure others did like it, fair enough. Just REALLY not a for me.

Ah Batboy, if you complain about Syriana ... then REALLY DO NOT GO AND SEE THIS MOVIE ;).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

N8R
04-04-2006, 01:25 AM
Saw the start of "X-Men 2"

Stryder
04-04-2006, 07:56 AM
I went to the cinema to see two movies.

The first I saw was "Capote". I really liked this one, though somewhere in the middle the movie got a lot less capturing then the start, which I thought was very close to brilliant. Even though the middle part did a little less for me the first 40 minutes really made this movie for me.

Then I went to see "V - for Vendetta". What a piece of CRAP! Seriously! The story could have been interesting if there weren't these underlying political statements that were as shallow as they get. I'm not a conservative, but IF I had been one, I would feel pretty offended by what the moviemakers would presume that I would view as my views.

The message is basically, let love rule, everybody means good (except the conservatives), the west is pretty anti-Islam, etc.

Really, waste of my money. I have a principle of not walking out on movies, done it only once, but I got close this time. I pride myself with hanging the inner strength to stay and force myself to watch the movie until the end.

On itself the topic of the movie is interesting and some of the things worked into it aswell, but the way they worked it all out. Awfull in my opinion. Ahwell, I'm sure others did like it, fair enough. Just REALLY not a for me.

Ah Batboy, if you complain about Syriana ... then REALLY DO NOT GO AND SEE THIS MOVIE ;).

Regards,

About V: Have you read the comic series? Do you know much about the series in of itself? There wouldn't be a story there if there were no "underlying political statements"...

btowncolt
04-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Akeelah and the Bee.

It doesn't come out until April 28th, but I went to a special screening last night, that was followed by a discussion panel with:

Laurence Fishburne, Producer, Actor (Dr. Larabee)
Doug Atchison, Writer, Director
Keke Palmer, Actor (Akeelah Anderson)
Roger Wilkins, Pulitzer Prize-winning author and distinguished civil rights leader and professor

A brief synopsis follows:

An inspirational drama, Akeelah and the Bee is the story of Akeelah Anderson (Keke Palmer), a precocious eleven-year-old girl from south Los Angeles with a gift for words. Despite the objections of her mother, Tanya (Angela Bassett) Akeelah enters various spelling contests, for which she is tutored by the forthright Dr. Larabee (Laurence Fishburne), her principal Mr. Welch (Curtis Armstrong) and the proud residents of her neighborhood. Akeelah's aptitude earns her the opportunity to compete for a spot in the Scripps National Spelling Bee and in turn unites her neighborhood who witness the courage and inspiration of one amazing little girl.

It was corny enough, but a good story. And I got my picture with Laurence.

McClintic Sphere
04-04-2006, 09:22 AM
It was corny enough, but a good story. And I got my picture with Laurence.

Are you going to post it, or do we have to beat it out of you?

btowncolt
04-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Are you going to post it, or do we have to beat it out of you?

http://www.celebritywonder.com/picture/Laurence_Fishburne/laurencefishburne_001.jpg

I haven't off-loaded my digital camera yet.

McClintic Sphere
04-04-2006, 09:36 AM
http://www.celebritywonder.com/picture/Laurence_Fishburne/laurencefishburne_001.jpg

I haven't off-loaded my digital camera yet.

Whew! For a second there, I thought you had a sex change. Was Lawrence's wife there,the verrrrry fine Gina Torres?

btowncolt
04-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Whew! For a second there, I thought you had a sex change. Was Lawrence's wife there,the verrrrry fine Gina Torres?

No, unfortunately. But he was still too cool for school.

Gyron
04-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I see Mr. Fishbourne wore his best house slippers for the event.

btowncolt
04-04-2006, 10:36 AM
I see Mr. Fishbourne wore his best house slippers for the event.

For the record, that's a random google picture.

Gyron
04-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Ahh, well I guess its ok for the house slippers then:D

PostArtestEra
04-04-2006, 11:31 PM
I saw Slither this afternoon and that movie was superb. It takes a little while to get going but once it does its great.

Natston
04-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Minority Report

I still don't like the very end that seems like it was tacked on so Spielburg could have a "lived happily ever after" flick. I still like the movie though, but it had been a cople of years since I had seen it last.

Natston
04-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Red Eye

Wow, talk about a short movie. It was good but it pretty much had no filler whatsoever. I wish Murphy's character had more of a story to him.

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride

I loved the animation since it wasn't computer animated. Not that I hate CGI, it's just that it seems too many movies have it just for the sake of having it.

Back to the movie, I really liked the humor and the tone through out.

Grandpa? :laugh:

Hicks
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
Dodgeball.

Amusing.

Mourning
04-07-2006, 03:44 PM
About V: Have you read the comic series? Do you know much about the series in of itself? There wouldn't be a story there if there were no "underlying political statements"...

In all honesty. No, I don't know the comic series. I know it's probably from the 70s, right?

Anyway, it seems they have brought it back in light of the uncertain, but interesting times we now live in with the emergence of China, but more specifically of the global problem of terrorism and how to deal with it in world that has globalized beyond anything before in mankinds history.

Regards,

N8R
04-08-2006, 01:03 AM
The Weather Man with Nicolas Cage

It was alright. Nothing special

Natston
04-10-2006, 01:08 AM
Galaxy Quest

I still love this movie, Tony Shalhoub's character is pretty much me in a nutshell... :laugh:

Stryder
04-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Memoirs of a Geisha

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit.

Flightplan

Sean Bean plays a good character! Haha. The movie was alright.

Legend of Zorro

The first one was better. Everytime I heard Banderas talk, I thought of his character, Puss-n-boots, from Shrek 2.

Doom

Mindless fun. Could have been alot better, it was ok. The Rock did a good job as Sarge. The movie was very dark. And I did like the first person perspective at the end of the movie.

Waiting

Hilarious. If you've ever worked in the restaurant/serving business, you will appreciate this movie. "Welcome to the Thunderdome, *****!"

King Kong

A little too long. Should have had less time on Skull Island and more time in NYC. But, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Mourning
04-11-2006, 08:39 AM
Just saw Inside Man this last sunday. I was a little dissappointed to be honest. I didn't really like the way Spike Lee used the music. For my feeling it just didn't really fit with what was happenning on screen.

The story and scenario were very decent to pretty good. I just felt like some parts of the movie I could have done without. Now it rates as average or a little above average for me.

I also went to see "The New World". It's so clear that the same director was at work here as the one who gave us "The Thin Red Line". IF you liked that movie, you will like this movie aswell. A lot of style items seem compareable. The emetion that the director tries to bring up, the music and it's role, the beautifull images of nature and people moving into that territory, the voice over with some (semi-)philosophical reasoning and questions (which I personally really like).

I thought the "Thin Red Line" was better, but that's because I saw that movie atleast 7 or 8 times and is easily one of my favorite movies. But, this one is quite good too IF you like the way Terrence Malick makes his movies and tells his stories. If you didn't like the "The Thin Red Line" then it might be best to stay away from this one aswell. But, I liked it.

Regards,

Mourning
04-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Just saw "The Jacket" on DVD and I liked it. Stars with Adrian Brody, who is becoming one of my favorite actors (together with Edward Norton and John Cusack) and Keira Knightley (who even looks good when she looks bad btw :)).

Good, original storyline and worth seeying.

Also saw "Lord of War" yesterday. I didn't really want to see it in the first place. Thought it would be a dumb action-flick with now real story to it. But. I think I was wrong. I'm happy I saw the movie. It wasn't "great", but it certainly was not bad either. Story is pretty decent and I like the way the filmmaker goes back into time and shows us some of the things that really happenned over the past decades (the fall of the USSR and the weapons market getting flooded with ex-USSR weapons, the Liberian and Siera Leone conflict with rebels chopping-off body parts of people they came across and whom they thought might once opose them, handicapping a country. Some good details in this movie.

I really would have rather seen this movie in the cinema instead of "Inside Man". But, I'm happy I did atleast see it, as I was biased against it before I saw it.

Regards,

indytoad
04-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Saw II

It's not often I see a movie and say, "Wow, Saw I was way better!" but...this did it. Never before has such a fantastic supervillain been wasted on such a collection of remarkably uninspired characters.

IndyToad
Yes I did, thank you

N8R
04-11-2006, 11:41 PM
Wedding Crashers

Natston
04-12-2006, 12:21 AM
The Passion of the Christ

Although I am Christian, I am still not I a big fan of the movie. It needed to be minded to non-believers and more spiritual for the believers.

sweabs
04-12-2006, 12:31 AM
Rochelle, Rochelle

A young girl's strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk.

Skaut_Ech
04-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Symnpathy for Mr. Vengence After watching Oldboy, I was pretty hyped to see it. I was greatly disappointed. I thought it was numbingly slow and the characters were really flat. Now it's made me hesitant to watch Sympathy for Lady Vengence.

bulletproof
04-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Symnpathy for Mr. Vengence After watching Oldboy, I was pretty hyped to see it. I was greatly disappointed. I thought it was numbingly slow and the characters were really flat. Now it's made me hesitant to watch Sympathy for Lady Vengence.

Thanks. You saved me a DVD purchase.

MagicRat
04-12-2006, 10:52 AM
Ice Age: The Meltdown

I thought it was numbingly slow and the characters were really flat.......

McClintic Sphere
04-12-2006, 11:23 AM
Ice Age: The Meltdown

I thought it was numbingly slow and the characters were really flat.......

Mourning
04-12-2006, 02:05 PM

:deadhorse:

:-p

Bball
04-13-2006, 02:12 AM
I'm trying to get thru "Walk the Line"

It ran longer than I figured and I started getting a little bored (sleepy is probably a better word) and haven't had the time to finish the last 1/4th of it.

I'm not saying it's bad... but it didn't have me enthralled either. I had a hard time buying any of the musical performances. ... Reese Witherspoon's performance I can appreciate but everyone else paled compared the real things. Maybe that is to be expected somewhat but they paled a little too much IMHO.

And I can't imagine (if such an event even happened) that Johnny's auditon was that bad initially. And even when he 'turned it on' I couldn't buy that I was hearing anything that would make an AR/Producer, etc hear any potential in the performer. It was still a flat performance.

IOW... Joaquin (sp?) is no Johnny Cash vocally. Not even close. Not that he sang bad, but he just sounded like someone 'singing (painting) by numbers'. No spark.

-Bball

Skaut_Ech
04-13-2006, 08:12 PM
My Neighbor Totoro. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_neighbor_totoro/)

Wonderful, wonderful movie. The way Miyazaki (sp) captures the simple movements of a child are pretty amazing. I hate cloying, manipulative movies. This one shows you how to do sentimental right.

Unclebuck
04-13-2006, 10:37 PM
"Thank you for smoking"

Very amusing and well done

sweabs
04-13-2006, 10:55 PM
Prognosis Negative

bulletproof
04-14-2006, 02:16 AM
My Neighbor Totoro. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_neighbor_totoro/)

Wonderful, wonderful movie. The way Miyazaki (sp) captures the simple movements of a child are pretty amazing. I hate cloying, manipulative movies. This one shows you how to do sentimental right.

Seriously, I just don't get the appeal of Anime. I find it annoying. Very annoying. And I don't think it's an age thing. My daughter and my wife's nephew thought "Spirited Away" was ridiculous in its characterizations. They giggled at them throughout.

McClintic Sphere
04-14-2006, 07:44 AM
Seriously, I just don't get the appeal of Anime. I find it annoying. Very annoying. And I don't think it's an age thing. My daughter and my wife's nephew thought "Spirited Away" was ridiculous in its characterizations. They giggled at them throughout.

Huh? Anime covers far too broad a category of sensibility to be apprehended so narrowly. In Miyazaki's films the spiritual and natural realms are often symbolized by creatures who are in reaction to the conventional, literal functions of the prevalent society.
Spirited Away was a bit formulaic in that it employed the separation/initiation/return cycle for the main character, but otherwise I thought its lessons about the self-consuming nature of greed and its refusal to not shade characters in strict black and white terms redeemed it utterly. The creatures which inhabited the bath house realm, I felt, were terrifically imagined. Children raised on Pixar and American-style slapstick cartoons could have trouble yielding to it's unorthodox presentation.
The animation quality is difficult to quibble with, as everytime I watch one of Miyazaki's films I want to pause it and gaze at the incredible beauty and subtle details in the drawings.

Skaut_Ech
04-14-2006, 08:44 AM
I am a huge fan of Miyazaki. when I first saw Spirited Away, I felt like I was missing stuff, so I read some analysis of the movie and was surprised at the depth of societal isses it was addressing. I feel like his movies challenge me and force me to view themes from a different viewpoint.

I barely watch any anime, but I love Miyazaki. I've seen Vampire Hunter D (liked it) and Akira (just didn't do it for me.) and I want to get Steamboy. I don't get guys who watch anime, any and all, just becasue it's anime, but I've got to say, I find some of the stuff I've seen pretty amazing and I wish the average American had a better foundation from which to approach this stuff.

I know it's a cultural thing. Americans think cartoon=kids stuff, while animated/cartoon media is pretty pervasive in Asian culture. Ah, well.

McClintic Sphere
04-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Steamboy is really top notch.

McClintic Sphere
04-14-2006, 07:05 PM
"Thank you for smoking"

Very amusing and well done

You surprise me with your movie enjoyment, UB. What with your admittedly conservative stances, you seem to really like a lot of films that go the other way.

Unclebuck
04-14-2006, 11:55 PM
You surprise me with your movie enjoyment, UB. What with your admittedly conservative stances, you seem to really like a lot of films that go the other way.

I don't have to agree with "the message" of the movie to enjoy the movie.

Unclebuck
04-16-2006, 08:43 AM
"On Golden Pond"

One of my alltime favorites

bulletproof
04-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Children raised on Pixar and American-style slapstick cartoons could have trouble yielding to it's unorthodox presentation.
So you're basically saying that my child can't appreciate it because of her Disney-fed sensibilities. The kid read "The Old Man and the Sea" when she was 10 and understood its themes! :tongue:

The animation quality is difficult to quibble with, as everytime I watch one of Miyazaki's films I want to pause it and gaze at the incredible beauty and subtle details in the drawings.
I find the characterizations to be quite silly actually.

N8R
04-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Jack Johnson Live in Japan

Part of THE GOONIES

indytoad
04-16-2006, 03:37 PM
I am a huge fan of Miyazaki. when I first saw Spirited Away, I felt like I was missing stuff, so I read some analysis of the movie and was surprised at the depth of societal isses it was addressing. I feel like his movies challenge me and force me to view themes from a different viewpoint.

I barely watch any anime, but I love Miyazaki. I've seen Vampire Hunter D (liked it) and Akira (just didn't do it for me.) and I want to get Steamboy. I don't get guys who watch anime, any and all, just becasue it's anime, but I've got to say, I find some of the stuff I've seen pretty amazing and I wish the average American had a better foundation from which to approach this stuff.

I know it's a cultural thing. Americans think cartoon=kids stuff, while animated/cartoon media is pretty pervasive in Asian culture. Ah, well.

If you're on the lookout for anime, I'd like to recommend Wings of Honneamise, which I just saw for the second time about a week ago (I first saw it ages past). Not a whole lot of people have heard of it, but it's really quite good.

IndyToad
Full of animation

PostArtestEra
04-17-2006, 05:27 AM
"The God Who Wasn't There"
A hilarious, thought provoking, documentary on Christianity by Brian Flemming. It will probably offend anyone who believes in Jesus, but it kinda should. I highly recommend checking it out.

Since86
04-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Prognosis Negative

According to Seinfeld that movie was bad. How'd you like it?

Jack Johnson Live in Japan

Great taste in music right there.

Friday night I saw Lucky Number Slevin. I'm not the movie critic as some of the others on here, but I thought it was a great movie. It's hard to categorize though. It's not really suspense, nor action. I'd say it's closer to drama than anything else. Even though Bruce Willis is typecasted, he plays that type perfectly. Josh Harnett wasn't his typical self, also Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley were perfect for their roles.

beaversnducks311
04-17-2006, 03:00 PM
"We don't live here Anymore"

I'm going to have to watch it again before i decide if i liked it or not...watched it with my roommate, and she made comments through the whole thing.

Has anybody else seen it?

indytoad
04-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Inside Man

One of the better bank heist/hostage negotiation (is that a genre yet?) films I've seen in a while. Quite clever. I could have done without the heavy-handed social commentary though.

IndyToad
Wuss-ee

sweabs
04-17-2006, 04:27 PM
According to Seinfeld that movie was bad. How'd you like it?

It was not as good as Rochelle Rochelle.

Since86
04-17-2006, 04:47 PM
It was not as good as Rochelle Rochelle.

:laugh: :laugh:

GREAT REPLY!!!

Bball
04-17-2006, 04:58 PM
Cinderella Man...

Certainly not my favorite movie but I was entertained.

And I still haven't finished "Walk the Line".
"Walk the Line" felt like a well done TV movie of the week to me... I doubt the ending is going to turn me around on it. It's not like it can be much of a surprise.

-Bball

beaversnducks311
04-17-2006, 05:55 PM
And I still haven't finished "Walk the Line".
"Walk the Line" felt like a well done TV movie of the week to me... I doubt the ending is going to turn me around on it. It's not like it can be much of a surprise.

-Bball

The ending was probably my least favorite part. Given the movie was already 2 hours long, i still thought it ended abruptly.....good movie otherwise.

DrBadd01
04-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Thank You for Smoking.

Very funny satire about the Tabacco industry, and the ins and outs of being a lobbyist. Recomended.

RWB
04-18-2006, 09:06 AM

Put me in the list of lukewarm when it comes to anime, however, Tokyo Godfathers is a fine animated film that I would recommend. Well actually it's worth a dvd purchase.

DrBadd01
04-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Kung Fu Hustle

Layer Cake

beaversnducks311
04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Unfaithful

Natston
04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Seven

Rodger Ebert pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. "Good as it is, it misses greatness by not quite finding the right way to end."

GO!!!!!
04-20-2006, 09:38 PM
V for Vendetta

diden't mind it, it was tight arse tuesday....

got a new found admiration for Nat Portman, she was great in the movie...

pity about the ending, just seemed to climax, after an hour of it building up..., would have liked a bigger longer ending

Vicious Tyrant
04-28-2006, 12:28 AM
I saw V for Vendetta this past weekend and really enjoyed it. Much more than I expected. I rarely get to the theaters anymore and usually can't stand to sit through a whole movie when I do. But I really enjoyed it.

Vicious Tyrant
04-28-2006, 12:31 AM
Also, I rented Waking Life. YAAAWN. Talk about pretentious and tedious. Total letdown, I had heard good things about it.

On the old anime/Miyazaki thing - we rented some anime movie called The Cat Returns - anyone seen this? I really liked it, if for no other reason than the characters are all so likable and well mannered. I loved Kiki's Delivery Service for the same reason. Truly family movies, even my four year old daughter loves the characters and the pacing is so relaxed. I really could develop a taste for those movies.

Los Angeles
04-28-2006, 12:57 AM
Drawing Restraint 9.

Directed by Matthew Barney and starring him and Bjork. An artistic masterwork, but not without a few flaws. This isn't a movie, it's more like a 2 1/2 hour bizzarre music video for ambient noise. It is hideous and wonderful and very painful to watch in parts. It is easily his most sentimental work to date (if you consider dismemberment setimental). The only shame of it is that he's gotten so good at documenting his artwork that he now faces comparison to the top hollywood craftsmen.

Still, it's one of the most beautiful pieces of film that I have seen all year.

I don't know why I'm posting this here, because it's unlikely that anyone here will have the chance to see it.

McClintic Sphere
04-28-2006, 06:46 AM
Drawing Restraint 9.

Directed by Matthew Barney and starring him and Bjork. An artistic masterwork, but not without a few flaws. This isn't a movie, it's more like a 2 1/2 hour bizzarre music video for ambient noise. It is hideous and wonderful and very painful to watch in parts. It is easily his most sentimental work to date (if you consider dismemberment setimental). The only shame of it is that he's gotten so good at documenting his artwork that he now faces comparison to the top hollywood craftsmen.

Still, it's one of the most beautiful pieces of film that I have seen all year.

I don't know why I'm posting this here, because it's unlikely that anyone here will have the chance to see it.

They finally showed the Cremaster cycle here at the IMA sometime last year, but I was unable to attend. I've been waiting for that to be released on DVD, but I haven't noticed it being available. There are bits and pieces of it on Youtube.com. I read a really nice workup on him in the New Yorker a couple years ago detailing his background as an outstanding high school quarterback in Idaho and his fascination with social rituals writ large like the Super Bowl. I'm jealous, BTW, you coastal b******.

Los Angeles
04-28-2006, 02:18 PM
They finally showed the Cremaster cycle here at the IMA sometime last year, but I was unable to attend. I've been waiting for that to be released on DVD, but I haven't noticed it being available. There are bits and pieces of it on Youtube.com. I read a really nice workup on him in the New Yorker a couple years ago detailing his background as an outstanding high school quarterback in Idaho and his fascination with social rituals writ large like the Super Bowl. I'm jealous, BTW, you coastal b******.
I saw the whole cycle, in the order of release (not numerical) in Chicago a few years ago. Then about 15 months ago he appeared at the Hammer Museum in LA with a new hour-long film, and a Q&A. My wife and I took off of work and stood in line for like 4 hours, we were about 10 people from the front. Out of the several hundred people who waited in line, we were 2 of only 25 people or so who actually got in as all the other seats were reserved. 10th in line and we were in the second to last row. I mean really, WTF?!?! We still got in so hooray for us.

But that's not the best part, during the Q&A, I actually got to ask a question: "How important is it to you that people actually understand your work?" The audience busted a gut laughing. His answer was fair. Paraphrasing, he said he understands that it is not very accessible and that it's not for everyone but ultimately he wouldn't make his work if he didn't want to communicate something.

Prints of his films are sold to art museums for huge money and DVDs are almost never released, I heard that Cremaster 3 is on DVD in a very limited run, so look out for it. (it may be a collector's item now).

I hear that in a few months he's taking over the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and that they will play some of the films as well as dedicate the majority of the museum to his sculpture and 2D work.

Movie lovers (and especially movie makers) don't get the art world and often get upset that his work is rarely available for broad viewing. It's not supposed to be a movie, it's a piece of art that should be displayed on a loop in a museum. Just like any other exhibit, if you don't go to the museum, you won't see the work.

Usually these sorts of exhibits go on a "tour" of several cities, so I'd consider heading to Chicago if the film or the exhibit ends up there.

EDIT: Here's a link to Drawing Restraint 9: http://unit.bjork.com/specials/dr9/

Los Angeles
04-28-2006, 02:31 PM
Here's the city listing with dates:

http://server.mammothnyc.com/ifcschedule/films/drawing+restraint+9/

McClintic Sphere
04-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Here's the city listing with dates:

http://server.mammothnyc.com/ifcschedule/films/drawing+restraint+9/

Dam* Utah and Tennessee get it, but we don't. We slide further down the cultural literacy scale.

Los Angeles
04-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Dam* Utah and Tennessee get it, but we don't. We slide further down the cultural literacy scale.
Saint Louis isn't too far away. Plus they have a 6 Flags so you can claim that it's a family trip. ;)

btowncolt
04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Going to a screening of East of Havana (http://www.filmfestdc.org/) tomorrow night.

Charlize Theron will be there. :drool:

efx
04-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Thank you for smoking - it was awesome

Unclebuck
04-28-2006, 03:49 PM
"United 93"

Wow, that was an incredible movie. It really should be required viewing for everyone. Very, very well done and very intense. There wasn't a moment wasted, and it seemed like about 45 minutes. Can't recommend it highly enough. Just as a movie it was great

efx
04-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Required viewing because it was good or because of the history? Just curious actually.

Unclebuck
04-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Required viewing because it was good or because of the history? Just curious actually.

Both.

Hicks
04-28-2006, 06:59 PM
United 93. I left feeling stunned. Similar to the stunned feeling I felt on 9/11. Quiet theatre as we exited.

ajbry
04-28-2006, 07:22 PM
I can't wait to see United 93. Looks amazing.

Unclebuck
04-28-2006, 07:33 PM
The best discription is that you feel like you're there and not just watching a movie. There is no sensationalism, nothing is heavy handed, there is no sappy story, the director/writer knows the events are the strory. Even the famous phrase, "Let's roll" is just kinda thrown out there, unlike most movies that would have made that into some momumental rally cry.

Unless there are some great award winning type films this year, I expect "United 93 " to be nominated for the best picture award at the end of this year.

Having said all this some might not like the movie just because it is told rather straightforwardly, and when it ends it ends, or there might be some who don't want to re-live the events of that day.

beaversnducks311
04-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Just rented "One flew over the cuckoo's nest"...haven't seen it in a while and i just read the book for class....loved it loved it loved it.

also, yesterday, i watched "Matchstick Men"....a little slow at times, but i really really liked it. killer ending...wasn't expecting it at all. kind of made me sad...i know some haven't seen it so i will say no more.

-beavsnducks

indytoad
04-29-2006, 12:15 AM
The Cave...it's been a while since I've seen a decent monster movie. I enjoyed it for what it was, don't think I'd watch it again and in a few months I'll have forgotten all about it.

Ultraviolet...bad writing, bad acting, bad pacing...but it sure was pretty to look at. The first 15 minutes are a visual feast. After that, it seems to run out of ideas.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Really Long Movie Title...good movie, nice feeling of nostalgia, I remember reading the book growing up. The special effects were stunning. Great score as well.

I saw a bit of one of the Cremaster movies somewhere, a long time ago. Suffice to say...I just didn't get it. Modern art is beyond me, I think - I'm beginning to suspect I'm not a cultured guy at all.

IndyToad
Uncalled for

N8R
04-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Jack Johnson Live at the Kokua Festival in Hawaii 2006

Aw Heck
04-29-2006, 10:31 PM
United 93.

If you go to see this movie and you don't get at least somewhat emotional during it, I'm not sure you have a soul. Just like Hicks, the theater I went to was completely silent as we were leaving.

Doug
04-30-2006, 03:16 PM
The Aristocrats

Even filthier than I expected. It crosses pretty much every line there is. Too many lines for me, in fact, as some of the material made me so uncomfortable it ceased to be funny. I gave up after about 20 minutes or so. It might have worked a little better if it had stayed with one comedian for a little longer. The jumping between them seemed to let the really vile stuff hang in the air for too long. You never had a chance to really start laughing at the material where you might not be so acutely aware of the troubling nature of some of it.

On top of that the sound on the DVD wasn't quite sync'd up with peoples lips. I'm going to hear about my choice of rentals from my wife for quite a while. I'll probably have to rent a dozen "chick flicks" before she trusts me at the video store by myself.

So, to remove some of the "stain" of that movie, I pulled out my copy of:

Casablanca

Best. Movie. Ever.

btowncolt
04-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I touched Charlize.

I'm never washing my hand again.

Kegboy
04-30-2006, 04:13 PM
I touched Charlize.

I'm never washing my hand again.

And I'm sure she's getting a full body chemical peel as we speak.

N8R
04-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Mission Impossible II

First time watching it. It was alright, it was funny when people just kept ripping off their faces and being different people.

pacercoltfan
04-30-2006, 08:42 PM
The Replacements! Funny movie! :laugh: :lolchair: :rotflmao:

Peck
05-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Just rented "One flew over the cuckoo's nest"...haven't seen it in a while and i just read the book for class....loved it loved it loved it.

also, yesterday, i watched "Matchstick Men"....a little slow at times, but i really really liked it. killer ending...wasn't expecting it at all. kind of made me sad...i know some haven't seen it so i will say no more.

-beavsnducks

Hmmmmmmmmmm...........

This has an entire Wizard of OZ type of feel to it.

More to the point, OZ (season 2)......:mad:

You will have no more excuses after next week.:D

Suaveness
05-01-2006, 04:15 AM
Reign of Fire. Not too bad a movie, good action.

beaversnducks311
05-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmm...........

This has an entire Wizard of OZ type of feel to it.

More to the point, OZ (season 2)......:mad:

You will have no more excuses after next week.:D

:uhoh: I WON'T have an excuse.... :thumbup:

SoupIsGood
05-01-2006, 04:45 PM
the sentinel

Kegboy
05-01-2006, 10:25 PM
the sentinel

Verdict?

Stryder
05-01-2006, 10:26 PM
"Layer Cake"

I thought it was very well done. And a good movie too.

Skaut_Ech
05-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Got a retro movie for you that is a real fav of mine. It's not the best movie ever made or anything, but I just found it entertaining and satisfying.

Anyone else seen One on One (http://movies2.nytimes.com/mem/movies/review.html?title1=One%20on%20One%20%28Movie%29&title2=&reviewer=VINCENT%20CANBY&pdate=19770825&v_id=) with Robby Benson?

I was around 13 years old when this came out. when I went to college, I lived in the jock's dorm and it funny how much parts of this movie rang true. I thought the review Camby gave, that I linked, is a pretty good one. A good basketball movie that doesn't get mentioned enough, far as I'm concerned.

McClintic Sphere
05-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Got a retro movie for you that is a real fav of mine. It's not the best movie ever made or anything, but I just found it entertaining and satisfying.

Anyone else seen One on One (http://movies2.nytimes.com/mem/movies/review.html?title1=One%20on%20One%20%28Movie%29&title2=&reviewer=VINCENT%20CANBY&pdate=19770825&v_id=) with Robby Benson?

I was around 13 years old when this came out. when I went to college, I lived in the jock's dorm and it funny how much parts of this movie rang true. I thought the review Camby gave, that I linked, is a pretty good one. A good basketball movie that doesn't get mentioned enough, far as I'm concerned.

Classic flick. Robby Benson was seemingly everywhere during that era, but I don't remember him in anything for at least a decade. Annette O'Toole was a hottie who has also been AWOL in mainstream film for awhile.

The scenes I remember from this were the one where the coach had the other player just beat the crap out of Robby in the one-on-one in practice and the final scene where he uses the coach's own words against him when he decides he's transferring after he makes a big splash in the game. IIRC, this was kind of an expose of the whole corrupt culture of college sports at the time, what with his lawn sprinkler job and the way he was coddled and then used.

Unclebuck
05-02-2006, 08:53 AM
the sentinel

I thought about going to see it, but the whole time I would have been comparing it to 24, and I know it couldn't be that good. Plus the reviews were average at best

DisplacedKnick
05-02-2006, 08:55 AM

I saw that in JR High too. Probably wouldn't enjoy it as much now - even then it took me a long time to sympathize with Benson's character (probably not until the guy who looked like a football player bloodied his face in practice).

In fact, today I'd probably agree with the coach when he's watching the film and growls, "Enough of this hot dogging crap." Or whatever he said.

Good flick though - lots of basketball action. And for all that the message was somewhat predictable, it was done much better than Blue Chips.

Kstat
05-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Advent Children

damn I love that movie....

Mourning
05-03-2006, 05:04 PM
"Serenity", I liked it.

beaversnducks311
05-04-2006, 02:22 AM
"double indemnity" and "Sunset boulevard"

TCM had a film noir marathon :yes:....kick ***...it's probably my favorite genre. :lurk:

it took me forever to place fred macmurray...i KNEW he was a dad in something...took me almost the whole movie.

i finally gave up and got on IMDB....damn you "my three sons"!:scream:

Skaut_Ech
05-04-2006, 12:09 PM
"double indemnity" and "Sunset boulevard"

TCM had a film noir marathon :yes:....kick ***...it's probably my favorite genre. :lurk:

Me too. I have this HUGE book on Film with summaries and pictures. TCM is the only network sho shows noir on a regular basis. Too bad, I think it's some of the smartest filmaking ever. I think that's why I really like some of the stuff out of Asia like "Oldboy". Asian cinema has a lot of current films that are violent reworkings on the film noir genre.

N8R
05-06-2006, 06:02 PM
School Of Rock

Peck
05-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Just got done viewing RV, the new Robin Williams movie.

It's about what you expect it to be. I would advise both Bulletproof & Scott to avoid this film at all cost.:-p

Mourning
05-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Just got done viewing RV, the new Robin Williams movie.

It's about what you expect it to be. I would advise both Bulletproof & Scott to avoid this film at all cost.:-p

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I just saw Edison ... I don't know what sort of material the directors of this piece of garbage had on both Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey, but it must have been something pretty bad, because I'm still figuring out how I got dubbed or better dubbed myself into in first renting and then secondly wachting out this one.

Horrible movie.

Regards,

Natston
05-07-2006, 02:49 PM

I just saw Edison ... I don't know what sort of material the directors of this piece of garbage had on both Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey, but it must have been something pretty bad, because I'm still figuring out how I got dubbed or better dubbed myself into in first renting and then secondly wachting out this one.

Horrible movie.

Regards,

A thriller and drama with the fine acting of LL Cool J, Piper Perabo, and Justin Timberlake... :lol:

Mourning
05-07-2006, 03:16 PM
A thriller and drama with the fine acting of LL Cool J, Piper Perabo, and Justin Timberlake... :lol:

More like a horrible comedy!

And yeah ... I hadn't noticed that Justin-jerk played in it until I put it on :sad:. I would love to say he should stick with his music, but one: I doubt it is his and two: I rather he stop doing that too ... where is Ted Bundy when you need him? :mad:

Regards,

vapacersfan
05-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Verdict?

I thought it was very good.

If ever something were to go down, I would only imagine that it would be similar to the way the movie is portrayed.

As for comparing it to 24, I didnt catch myself doing that, but I did think Kiefer was pretty good in it.

I also saw MI:3 on Friday, it was a bit long but I thought it was good.

obnoxiousmodesty
05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Amazing film for fans of Final Fantasy. I think non-fans might have a hard time getting into it. It's visually stunning and has a solid story. I totally enjoyed it.

Stryder
05-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Mission Impossible 3

A very good movie for the summer time. Ending was a bit girly, but overall, I enjoyed the heck out of it.

Tim
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
I guess I am not a very deep person as far as movies go but I read somewhere years back that the move GlenGarry Glen Ross was suppose to be a classic, or critcally acclaimed, or some such.

It was on TV a month or two ago so I decided to watch it.

I don't get it, whats so great about this movie? I am really that shallow because there isn't a car chase or gun blazing?
I just don't see why this is such a great movie, it was a boring soap opera at best.

Skaut, Harmonica, did you guys like this and why?

N8R
05-08-2006, 12:15 AM
I saw October Sky in the afternoon and I just finished watching The Benchwarmers.

Both were pretty good.

Peck
05-08-2006, 01:30 AM
I guess I am not a very deep person as far as movies go but I read somewhere years back that the move GlenGarry Glen Ross was suppose to be a classic, or critcally acclaimed, or some such.

It was on TV a month or two ago so I decided to watch it.

I don't get it, whats so great about this movie? I am really that shallow because there isn't a car chase or gun blazing?
I just don't see why this is such a great movie, it was a boring soap opera at best.

Skaut, Harmonica, did you guys like this and why?

Let me ask an important question first.

Did you see an edited for TV version of the movie or was it uncut? Because if it was edited for TV the dialoge will lose almost all of it's impact on you in particular Alec Baldwins seen & Jack Lemons scene when he tell off Kevin Spacey after making the sell.

I know this is gonna sound stupid but to me there are just certain films in this world that you either get or you don't get, it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you or with the film. Everything is just not for everybody.

For instance I do not get films by Wes Anderson. I find them unappealing & downright boring.

However he is considered a genious by some.

Does that make me wrong? Maybe but I just don't get his humor or at the very least I don't find it funny.

Also & I know this is blasphemos to some, I don't get Quentin Tarantino either.

So just because I love GlennGarry GlennRoss doesn't mean you have to. However, I will say though if you saw an edited version you should probably try an unedited version because it will change the movie. At least IMO.

Skaut_Ech
05-08-2006, 07:58 AM
Tim, I think David Mamet films are an acquired taste.

I know this is gonna sound stupid but to me there are just certain films in this world that you either get or you don't get, it doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you or with the film. Everything is just not for everybody.

Peck is right on. Mamet's big thing is that he likes to play with words. He expects you to play strict attention to what is said and reveals his characters that way. Kind of the opposite of, say, Sergio Leone (Good, Bad and the Ugly, etc), who reveals his characters more through what they do: a look, the way they walk, how they smoke a cigarette.

(BTW, the edited version is a butchered ******* of a movie. It's kills any kind of weight of the conversations. The unedited is pretty foul mouthed. With the edit on TV, it's like having a conversation with someone and every time they start to make a point, they tell you to hold on, then do something else for few minutes, then try to pick up where they left off. The continuity is chopped all to hell.)

Best analogy I can make is that Mamet's movies are kind of like Moonlight, the tv series, or Gilmore Girls, or maybe the Thin Man movies of old or a bit like old Spencer Tracy/Katherine Hepburn movies. Mamet is really big on wordplay. If you're into that kind of thing, then his dialogue can be brutal. I don't know if you've seen any movies by Neil Labute (In The Company of Men, in particular), but he kinda does the same thing at times.

It's no wonder Glengarry left you a bit cold. Whereas in a Michael Bay, or Tony Scott movie, the film's momentum is carried by location changes, Mamet's stuff could take place essentially in a closed room. The dialogue is the action.

For an action guy like you, Tim, that's the polar opposite of what you're looking for.

Some people may just have a broader base of what they find entertaining and there's nothing wrong with that. My wife won't watch Scifi or cartoons. Those kind of films just don't catch in her mental filter, so she tends not to watch them. She doesn't get all the hub-bub about the Matrix and how revolutionary it is/was. She doesn't "get it."

For the record, unlike that heathen, Peck, I love Wes Anderson's stuff (sly and quirky) and Tarantino (clever writer and great observationalist on human behavior).

Tim
05-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Let me ask an important question first.

Did you see an edited for TV version of the movie or was it uncut? Because if it was edited for TV the dialoge will lose almost all of it's impact on you in particular Alec Baldwins seen & Jack Lemons scene when he tell off Kevin Spacey after making the sell.

For instance I do not get films by Wes Anderson. I find them unappealing & downright boring.

However he is considered a genious by some.

Does that make me wrong? Maybe but I just don't get his humor or at the very least I don't find it funny.

Also & I know this is blasphemos to some, I don't get Quentin Tarantino either.

So just because I love GlennGarry GlennRoss doesn't mean you have to. However, I will say though if you saw an edited version you should probably try an unedited version because it will change the movie. At least IMO.

It was edited, there wasn't too much strong language. And I am going to assume it was butchered pretty bad because when the movie was over the only thing that came to my mind is all those guys needed to find better jobs.

SycamoreKen
05-08-2006, 08:12 PM
We watched Chicken Little the other day. It was pretty funny. I loved the ending when they made a movie of the whole thing and spun it only the Hollywood would, or should I say does, most of the time.

indytoad
05-08-2006, 08:50 PM
Silent Hill. The first hour and a half or so are fantastic. Probably the best game-to-movie adaption to date, it really captures the survival-horror genre. Fantastically creepy. Kind of falls apart at the end though, very disappointing, although I'm told the game is the same way so I guess it was still a faithful adaption.

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I love W&G, and their transition from short film to feature-length was perfect. Just a fun movie to watch.

IndyToad
Animation runner

Bball
05-08-2006, 09:10 PM
I caught part of "Easy Rider" on HD Net (or HD Net Movies) yesterday and hadn't seen it in several years. It struck me as interesting to see Jack Nicholson actually playing a role other than "Jack Nicholoson".\

-Bball

McClintic Sphere
05-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I love W&G, and their transition from short film to feature-length was perfect. Just a fun movie to watch.

Just watched this on the weekend. Funny movie with excellent animation. Good for adults and kids. Stop-motion animation is alive and well! I wish I would have applied my rental price to a purchase. Got to own this one.

Hicks
05-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Mission: Impossible 3

MUCH better than I expected. Very good spy movie. Tons of action, the story was good, the writing was decent, I didn't like the bad guy (in a good way), and I was certainly entertained.

I'm now very interested in this J.J. Abrams guy. Never really watched much of Lost, and nothing of Alias. I'm more interested now. What's funny is this guy is signed to make Star Trek 11. I have no desire for the plot that's being thrown out there (young Original Series crew story/prequel), but at least they got a good director for it.

Unclebuck
05-11-2006, 08:32 PM
"Akeelah and the Bee"

Excellent movie, but then I'm a sucker for these types of movies.

Hoop
05-12-2006, 12:20 AM
V for Vendetta. Good Movie.

Skaut_Ech
05-12-2006, 08:09 AM
Mission: Impossible 3

MUCH better than I expected. Very good spy movie. Tons of action, the story was good, the writing was decent, I didn't like the bad guy (in a good way), and I was certainly entertained.

I'm now very interested in this J.J. Abrams guy. Never really watched much of Lost, and nothing of Alias. I'm more interested now. What's funny is this guy is signed to make Star Trek 11. I have no desire for the plot that's being thrown out there (young Original Series crew story/prequel), but at least they got a good director for it.

The first thing that strikes me about a prequel is that you know that certain characters won't be in any real danger cause they're in the later films.

I'm a big Abram's fan. I'm ashamed to admit I was addicted to Felicity, but he has such a great ear for natural dialogue and the way people really speak. I've been a fan of Alias from the start, despite a couple of rocky seasons. JJ is really good at plot twists. That's why I was excited to see him to MI:3. Just an extension of Alias. I started watching Lost, but then realized it was probably going to suffer from X-Files syndrome: You load so much history into the series, that it breaks from the weight and you can't have a satisfactory conclusion.

I also saw Regarding Henry with Harrison Ford, which he wrote, Gone Fishing with Joe Pesci and Danny Glover...his early stuff kinda reeks in terms of his writing. He seems have hit his stride with TV, but i'm still a tad leery about his future films work. I figure those movies were something like 10 years ago and he's matured in his writing since then.

Kegboy
05-13-2006, 02:59 PM
MI:3.

It was decent. I disagree that it needs to be seen on the big screen. Too many close-ups, and I couldn't hear the dialogue half the time. I would have been better off watching it at home.

And yes, I bought a ticket for United 93 instead. Long Live Xenu!!!

Hicks
05-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Couldn't hear the dialogue half the time? Either I never want to watch a movie at the theater you went to, or you may want to invest in some audio assistance. :geezer:

Kegboy
05-13-2006, 04:56 PM
Couldn't hear the dialogue half the time? Either I never want to watch a movie at the theater you went to, or you may want to invest in some audio assistance. :geezer:

I was exagerating about half, but there were some key pieces of dialogue I couldn't make out because the balance was f'd up. Now that I think of it, it was the same theater I saw Serenity in, and I didn't care for the sound mix then, either.

I usually go to another one, but I needed one that had United 93 at approx. the same time, or else Lord Xenu would have been pissed. :shudder:

Hicks
05-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Where do you live? In Indy? I'm curious what theater(s) you're talking about.

Kegboy
05-13-2006, 09:15 PM
Where do you live? In Indy? I'm curious what theater(s) you're talking about.

I usually go to the Regal in Westfield, but the two times I'm talking about I went to Noblesville. The best place for sound in my book is the Kerasotes at Glendale.

Peck
05-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Good night & good luck.

Decent story however they focused to often on characters that they never explained to us. Also I thought they spent to much time without dialoge & instead kept playing jazz music.

I was very interested in this because of the subject matter & needless to say I was a little more than nervous knowing that Clooney made the movie. However it was not nearly as egregious as it could have been.

If you are interested in the subject matter I would suggest you watch an old HBO film called Citizen Kohn starring James Woods. That was a brilliant movie & portrayed McCarthy in an entirely differant light than what you have heard about him before.

Overall, Good night & good luck was a decent film & I would recomend it if you have any interest in the subject matter.

N8R
05-14-2006, 02:37 AM
G.I. Jane - was on TV, been a while since i last watched it.

Skaut_Ech
05-14-2006, 10:12 AM
I usually go to the Regal in Westfield, but the two times I'm talking about I went to Noblesville. The best place for sound in my book is the Kerasotes at Glendale.

That's where I go to se most everything-Glendale.

indytoad
05-14-2006, 11:52 AM
The Man. Eugene Levy and Samuel L. Jackson star as...Eugene Levy and Samuel L. Jackson. Of course, Samuel L. Jackson can't really be Samuel L. Jackson in a PG-13 movie, so he just ends up saying "***" a lot.

Mission: Impossible III. Fun movie. Philip Seymour Hoffman played a fantastic villain. An OT aside: I had Twister on the background the other day and I was like: Hey! That's Hoffman playing that crazy redneck comic relief! You don't usually see people with fancy, pedigreed names like that playing redneck comic relief.

Fargo. Actually saw most of it quite a few years ago, but this is the first time I payed strict attention. Just an absolutely perfect cast. What made it even better was that I know people who talk like that.

IndyToad
King of Siam

Pig Nash
05-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Back to the Future, fun.

Knucklehead Warrior
05-16-2006, 12:17 AM
pi

Mourning
05-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I liked "Pi", but you will really have to see it twice. "Requiem for a Dream" is I believe the second movie from the same director and REALLY a good movie IMO.

Just saw "Mission Impossible: III" and I was skeptic going in, but I really liked it. Some strange stuff, offcourse when you look at details, but that's non-sensical to do in this sort of movie.

Regards,

dannyboy
05-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Lackawanna Blues
The Rat Pack
Oldboy
The Omen

Unclebuck
05-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Because my cable was out last night and couldn't watch the Clippers game, I watched the Steven Soderbergh movie "Bubble"

That was the movie that came out a few months ago and was released in theaters and on DVD at the same time. Professional actors weren't used, a script/screenplay was not written. First time actors were used, the dialogue was primarily the actors own based on their real lives. It made for an extremely real movie, you felt like you were watching real life.

if you are curious about this movie, I'd highly recommend it

Skaut_Ech
05-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Glad somebody saw it. I saw that weird *** trailer for it where they just showed dolls and I thought "if they think THAT"s going to made me interested enough to see what's going on, they're mistaken." I never heard a word about it in the media or anywhere again till you just mentioned it.

btowncolt
05-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Ernest Goes to Camp

Stryder
05-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Murder on the Orient Express.

Since86
05-19-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm hoping to see the Da Vinci Code later today. We'll see what happens.:fingerscr

Unclebuck
05-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Glad somebody saw it. I saw that weird *** trailer for it where they just showed dolls and I thought "if they think THAT"s going to made me interested enough to see what's going on, they're mistaken." I never heard a word about it in the media or anywhere again till you just mentioned it.

The trailer was part of the DVD and yes it is horrible. Not sure what the thinking was there. The movie however is worth watching.

Gyron
05-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Ernest Goes to Camp

YOu would like a movie with a catupulting exploding toilet......:-o

btowncolt
05-19-2006, 04:52 PM
YOu would like a movie with a catupulting exploding toilet......:-o

PARACHUTING TURTLES! EXPLODING FECES!

Kegboy
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
DaVinci Code

I enjoyed it. I certainly see why critics complain about the first half. They fly through so much stuff so quickly, especially all the Louvre stuff, it's like reading a Cliff Notes version on crack.

I must say though, Ian McKellan is a revelation. I felt Teabing was a pompus windbag in the book, but Ian makes the character quite lovable. It was obvious that everyone in the audience just loved him to pieces.

There are some changes from the book. I really didn't care for the changes to Fache and the Bishop, but understand why they were done. The changes to the ending were minor in the grand scheme, but the real devotees probably won't care for them.

The best change, though, is making Langdon a sceptic. Ebert said the movie is better than the book, and, while I won't necessarily go that far, it's a very welcome change. The give and take between Langdon and Teabing plays much better than in the book, where they step on each others toes with their gleeful telling of The Grail myth.

On the whole, I don't see any reason why someone who enjoyed the book wouldn't enjoy the movie, except the afore mentioned changes to Sophie's ending may **** some off. As for those who haven't read it, I don't know. The first hour is really a wirlwind, and I can see someone who hasn't read the book getting completely lost. Alas, I figured I'd use my sister as a test case, but she refuses to see it, because she doesn't like Tom Hanks hair. :rollout: :shrug:

Mourning
05-20-2006, 04:44 PM
DaVinci Code Alas, I figured I'd use my sister as a test case, but she refuses to see it, because she doesn't like Tom Hanks hair. :rollout: :shrug:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Women and movies! It's usually not a very good combination unless it's a romantic movie. Most seem to think the sentence "do you want to go see a movie" is a code word for "I know your tired, so I will be quiet for 90+ minutes, while you can take a nap"" :arrgh:

;)

Anyway, I'm going to see it tomorrow, but it got blasted by about every movie critique over here. Religious and non-religious, they all thought the book was a lot better wether they liked it or not (curiously they ALL have an opinion on the book though as movie critiques :D).

The main angle of attack seems to be weak dialogues, simplification of the book and the background in it in favour of action.

Now as I said I didn't see it yet and I think some are beying over critical of the movie, because of other motives (read: religious). The consensus was though that none of them understood why the catholic church would feel threatened by such a piece of crap of a movie :blush:.

Now, I really wanted to see it, but I am a little skeptic now, but I still want to see it. Figured, since I didn't read the book I can't really get annoyed over changes and other things regarding it anyway.

Hope I will be enjoying it.

Regards,

grace
05-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Alas, I figured I'd use my sister as a test case, but she refuses to see it, because she doesn't like Tom Hanks hair. :rollout: :shrug:

I believe I also added that from the looks of the three clips I saw it would be over my head and would bore me to tears.

I also said I'd go, but you shouldn't get mad if I fell asleep like I did during Star Wars Part IV or was that Part I. :confused:

Mourning
05-20-2006, 05:10 PM
I believe I also added that from the looks of the three clips I saw it would be over my head and would bore me to tears.

I also said I'd go, but you shouldn't get mad if I fell asleep like I did during Star Wars Part IV or was that Part I. :confused:

Nothing better then a little family dispute :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

;)

N8R
05-21-2006, 02:22 AM
Standing In The Shadows Of Motown.

Its a very intesting looking at the musicians who came up with the music for a ton of #1 songs for Motown. Songs like Aint too Proud to Beg, My Girl and a TON others

Full Metal Jacket

First time watching this movie and there are soo many references taken from that movie that I finally get like: "Me SO Horny" and "Me Love You Long TIme" and a bunch of others sayings I have heard.

SoupIsGood
05-21-2006, 11:49 AM
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Liked it! Book was better though.

Jose Slaughter
05-21-2006, 12:00 PM
I just watched Eraser Head for the first time.

What the hell is wrong with David Lynch?

I think I've seen everyone of his shows & other than Twin Peaks, the series, I don't have a clue what he's trying to tell me.

Los Angeles
05-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Double feature: Hostel and Wolf Creek. The similarities between these films are numerous, including the fact that I felt disappointed by both of them.

317Kim
05-21-2006, 12:52 PM
MI:3 - Better than I ever expected.

Benchwarmers- Funny in a stupid kind of way.

Isaac
05-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Finally saw Brokeback Mountain. What an incredibly tragic movie, brought me to tears. I loved it.

dannyboy
05-21-2006, 09:48 PM
DaVinci Code ...

...As for those who haven't read it, I don't know. The first hour is really a wirlwind, and I can see someone who hasn't read the book getting completely lost. ...

I saw this film yesterday having never read the book, which I almost assuredly will never read (nothing against this book in particular, I just don't read fiction). I thought it was well done. I wasn't familiar with whatever was omitted and I didn't get lost at all. My wife, who has read the book, also liked it and thought they did a decent job of condensing the story to a length suitable for a movie.

It wasn't boring, just not a lot of action, though I wasn't expecting much anyway. The young lady that co-starred was ok, Tom Hanks was decent, and Ian McKellan was excellent. I enjoyed it, good movie overall.

bulletproof
05-21-2006, 10:05 PM

I think I've seen everyone of his shows & other than Twin Peaks, the series, I don't have a clue what he's trying to tell me.

It's not a question of understanding it. If you feel it, you feel it. Or as I once heard: Sometimes the truth of a thing is not so much in the think of it, as in the feel of it.

Skaut_Ech
05-22-2006, 08:01 AM
Finally got around to watching Kung Fu Hustle. One of the funniest movies I've seen in quite some time. The camera-work is excellent and the action is both thrilling and ridiculously cartoonish at the same time. Excellent, excellent movie.

Since86
05-22-2006, 09:24 AM
I'm with Dannyboy and Kegboy on the Da Vinci Code.

The movie wasn't as good as the book, but then again it would be one of the best movies of all time if it was, so I wasn't expecting it to be. It was better than what the reviews had it at, and I even liked some of the changes better.

For those who protested the movie on the account of the Holy Grail theory, they shouldn't worry. The movie laid out the theory in a way that made it plausible and just enough to make the movie flow, but didn't hammer away trying to force it into truth like the book did. They just laid down the foundation, and went.

I could watch it again, but it wasn't mindblowing.

indytoad
05-23-2006, 07:47 PM
The Da Vinci Code. I, too, haven't read the book, although I did watch a special on the National Geographic channel. I thought the pacing was excellent, as I never really felt lost. The ending dragged a bit too much for my liking, however - all the villains were defeated, like, twenty minutes from the end.

Lucky Number Slevin. This was more of my kind of movie. Someone called it a "caper" movie and that's exactly it. The way the story unfolded was a lot of fun, although it wasn't quite as clever as the movie seemed to think it was.

Cinderella Man. Million Dollar Baby meets A Beautiful Mind meets Seabiscuit. Except not as good as any of them.

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie. Not a standalone film, you really have to see the series first. However, as a conclusion to that, it's quite good. Also the first anime that I've seen to feature Hitler, if only in a cameo appearance.

IndyToad
Bully

SycamoreKen
05-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, the origional. My students love this movie even though they have seen it twice. It is very good.

Pig Nash
05-23-2006, 09:22 PM
The original is called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory if i'm not mistaken.

Skaut_Ech
05-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Followed up Kung Fu Hustle with Shaolin Soccer last night. Soccer was half the movie Hustle was. I found it a bit slow at times. Same goofiness, but at a much lower level. Whereas Hustle was clever and funny, Soccer was just goofy and not as entertaining. Okay, but no comparision. There was some definite growth and focus by the writer/director from one film to the next.

McClintic Sphere
05-24-2006, 08:57 AM

Lynch has stated that Eraserhead is his most autobiographical film. The trials and tribulations of courtship and early parenthood. Obviously a great deal of alienation in there. I don't know how they achieve that sort of ancient black and white effect whereby the light seems to dim on and off.
Of interest: Catherine Coulson, who played the Log Lady on Twin Peaks was the assistant director on Eraserhead.

http://www.davidlynch.de/spencerx.jpg

RWB
05-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Shiri....Korean action/drama flick with plenty of violence, no redeeming qualities, quite enjoyable.

Actually the best part maybe for those who are into home theater systems. One of the special features includes a number of the DTS/Dolby Digital shorts people love before the movie begins.

Skaut_Ech
05-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Thanks, RWB. I made myself a note a while ago to track that movie down. I'd been really wanting to see it, then kinda spaced it. Thanks to you, it is now omn my Amazon.com wish list.

You find it at a video store? If so, I'm surprised and impressed. The selection of foreign films at vieo stores has gotten pathetic.

RWB
05-24-2006, 02:21 PM
You find it at a video store? If so, I'm surprised and impressed. The selection of foreign films at vieo stores has gotten pathetic.

I usually frequent Movie Gallery or Hollywood Video (owned by the same company). Not the greatest, but they do carry a few copies of the obscure to main stream foreign films.

What I really like is they do pull their copies and sell them pretty cheap in the used section. For $5 bucks a pop it's close to what a rental costs anyway.

SycamoreKen
05-24-2006, 11:21 PM
The original is called Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory if i'm not mistaken.

You are correct my friend.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067992/

Natston
05-25-2006, 02:32 AM
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

It was better than I thought it was going to be, it's now one of my favorites...

Aw Heck
05-26-2006, 02:07 PM
X-Men: The Last Stand.

I think many of us knew going in that this movie was going to be inferior to the previous movies. And that's correct. With Brett Ratner directing instead of Bryan Singer, the movie is worse quality-wise than the previous movies. But it is by no means a horrible movie. It doesn't have anything on X2, but I don't think any of us expected it to do that. But it's still pretty entertaining. They throw a ton of new characters into the movie, which means some characters didn't get nearly as much screen time as I liked (Angel, for example, was in the movie for maybe 10 minutes all together, it seemed). And you may find yourself cringing at something every once in a while, but I still enjoyed the movie as a fan of the X-Men.

Some big things happen in this movie that indicate that this may indeed be the last movie in the series, at least for this group of actors. But the door isn't slammed shut, of course, it's still pretty wide open. Just know that for X4, some characters will not be back. (Including one character who is a major part of the X-Men, who has barely done ANYTHING at all in the movies.)

So fear not, X-fans. Go see the movie. Ratner hasn't ruined the series (yet).

8.9_seconds
05-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Suburbia

I could relate to the main Character about watching everybody around you be pretentious and try to break out of Suburbia by creating a false sense of the world around them when they really know nothing; but then there were also people around that had become spit out products of suburbia also.

It was Okay/pretty good.

Tim
05-26-2006, 06:44 PM

I think many of us knew going in that this movie was going to be inferior to the previous movies. And that's correct. With Brett Ratner directing instead of Bryan Singer, the movie is worse quality-wise than the previous movies. But it is by no means a horrible movie. It doesn't have anything on X2, but I don't think any of us expected it to do that. But it's still pretty entertaining. They throw a ton of new characters into the movie, which means some characters didn't get nearly as much screen time as I liked (Angel, for example, was in the movie for maybe 10 minutes all together, it seemed). And you may find yourself cringing at something every once in a while, but I still enjoyed the movie as a fan of the X-Men.

Some big things happen in this movie that indicate that this may indeed be the last movie in the series, at least for this group of actors. But the door isn't slammed shut, of course, it's still pretty wide open. Just know that for X4, some characters will not be back. (Including one character who is a major part of the X-Men, who has barely done ANYTHING at all in the movies.)

So fear not, X-fans. Go see the movie. Ratner hasn't ruined the series (yet).

I just got back from the movie and you're right, it is inferior. In fact I would say don't pay full price to see it. I have looked forward to seeing this movie since the very end of X2 gave us a hint about X3, it was a let down for me.

To give you an idea of what I am talking about without giving anything away about X3, think of this. If you are old enough, you may remember when Star Trek 5 hit the screen. At the time The Next Generation was still airing and was doing great, they might have deep in the Klingon home world stoyline at the time(Which ROCKED, by the way). After seeing ST5 at the movies people were openly commenting that it couldn't hold a candle to last weeks TNG episode, ST5 could almost be called silly and I never watched it again.

X3 wasn't as bad, wasn't silly, but man they needed to do more with it.

Kegboy
05-26-2006, 06:55 PM
To give you an idea of what I am talking about without giving anything away about X3, think of this. If you are old enough, you may remember when Star Trek 5 hit the screen. At the time The Next Generation was still airing and was doing great, they might have deep in the Klingon home world stoyline at the time(Which ROCKED, by the way). After seeing ST5 at the movies people were openly commenting that it couldn't hold a candle to last weeks TNG episode, ST5 could almost be called silly and I never watched it again.

X3 wasn't as bad, wasn't silly, but man they needed to do more with it.

5 years ago I would have felt comparing something to ST5 would be a pretty damning statement. Of course, that was before ST9 & 10. :shudder:

Ron who?
05-26-2006, 07:12 PM
The Boxer from Shantung... a 70s kung fu chinese movie its hella sick... i watced it for the xtra credit my teacher was offering but didnt expect soo much blood and punching :)

Tim
05-26-2006, 08:03 PM
5 years ago I would have felt comparing something to ST5 would be a pretty damning statement. Of course, that was before ST9 & 10. :shudder:

9 and 10 were very forgettable movies but 5 is so bad Paramount doesn't even like to talk about it.

Hicks
05-26-2006, 08:54 PM

I hated it. I really, really hated it. And I loved X-Men 2. I was so disappointed.

On the plus side, I LOVED looking at Kitty Pride (Ellen Page) :love:

Hicks
05-26-2006, 08:58 PM

Insurrection and Nemesis are still better than 5. :puke:

Stryder
05-26-2006, 09:43 PM

I hated it. I really, really hated it. And I loved X-Men 2. I was so disappointed.

On the plus side, I LOVED looking at Kitty Pride (Ellen Page) :love:

Please explain why you hated X-Men: The Last Stand? Thanks!

Kegboy
05-26-2006, 09:53 PM
9 and 10 were very forgettable movies but 5 is so bad Paramount doesn't even like to talk about it.

Insurrection and Nemesis are still better than 5. :puke:

Oh, come now. At least you can laugh at (not with, at) 5. 9 and 10 are so bad they ain't even funny. Unless Klingon acne is your kind of humor.

Hicks
05-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Please explain why you hated X-Men: The Last Stand? Thanks!

Would it really matter?

I didn't like the editing, I didn't like the pace, the direction, the story, the "let's see how many new characters we can squeeze in!" game, the lack of any character development, the fact that the Phoenix story is the B-story and isn't even handled well (it's tacked on), un-funny jokes, random other things, and in all it felt like a fanboy script was filmed. I didn't like the way they handled 99% of it. I liked Beast, that was about it.

Singer knew what he was doing. Especially with X2. Great pace, much better story, character development, good editing, more interesting cinematography (not that any of these stand out for that reason, but X3 was shot after shot after shot after shot of looking straight ahead at whatever was coming towards us it got pathetic).

Angel was a waste. The President was as B-movie as they come. Cyclops is a joke. Juggernaut looked ridiculous with that helmet (he doesn't belong on film, IMO). Did I mention the flood of wasted new characters? It tried to do way too much (character-wise and story-wise) and ended up doing none of it very well at all. Even the dialogue wasn't as good.

I didn't like the way the new people handled this franchise at all. Singer was leading to a brilliant crescendo IMO, and then when he left it went to ****.

Superman can't come fast enough for me. X-Men is dead, and it died in a car wreck.

Kegboy
05-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Oh, come now, Hicks. Tell us how you really feel.

I still remember how excited you were talking about this at Perkins last year. Poor guy. :console:

Hicks
05-26-2006, 10:26 PM
I would have sunk into a coma of comic fan ecstacy if Singer et al had made X3 as was originally planned. THAT is what I was raving about a year or so ago.

Hicks
05-26-2006, 10:31 PM
I can't take it anymore. I'm putting X2 in the DVD player next to me just to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Kegboy
05-26-2006, 10:48 PM
I can't take it anymore. I'm putting X2 in the DVD player next to me just to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

I was gonna tell you to watch Serenity. But then all the big deaths probably would just be reminders.

btowncolt
05-26-2006, 10:53 PM
X3. Hilarious. Root canal funny.

Hicks
05-26-2006, 11:01 PM
I was gonna tell you to watch Serenity. But then all the big deaths probably would just be reminders.

I tried introducing Serenity to my Uncle last week. He generally likes Sci-Fi. After him nodding off about 6 times in the first 20 minutes (and granted, he was exhausted), and then turning to me after the joke at the bank involving "you have to give me your authorization...", and saying "was that supposed to be a joke?" in an unimpressed tone, I decided it was time to turn Mr. DVD player off.

Oh well. :shrug:

Shade
05-26-2006, 11:24 PM
Would it really matter?

I didn't like the editing, I didn't like the pace, the direction, the story, the "let's see how many new characters we can squeeze in!" game, the lack of any character development, the fact that the Phoenix story is the B-story and isn't even handled well (it's tacked on), un-funny jokes, random other things, and in all it felt like a fanboy script was filmed. I didn't like the way they handled 99% of it. I liked Beast, that was about it.

Singer knew what he was doing. Especially with X2. Great pace, much better story, character development, good editing, more interesting cinematography (not that any of these stand out for that reason, but X3 was shot after shot after shot after shot of looking straight ahead at whatever was coming towards us it got pathetic).

Angel was a waste. The President was as B-movie as they come. Cyclops is a joke. Juggernaut looked ridiculous with that helmet (he doesn't belong on film, IMO). Did I mention the flood of wasted new characters? It tried to do way too much (character-wise and story-wise) and ended up doing none of it very well at all. Even the dialogue wasn't as good.

I didn't like the way the new people handled this franchise at all. Singer was leading to a brilliant crescendo IMO, and then when he left it went to ****.

Superman can't come fast enough for me. X-Men is dead, and it died in a car wreck.

I actually preferred the faster pacing with this film.

I agree about the "too many chacters" thing, though. Reminds me of the horrendous Mortal Kombat 2 where they just threw in a ton of characters to kill.

Also bear in mind that this is supposed to be the last film of the franchise (yeah, right), and this was the last chance to introduce a lot of the more popular characters from the comics...even if they were short-lived. As thus, there was simply not enough time to tell the "real" Phoenix saga either. But they kinda had to run with what Singer left at the end of the second film.

But I do like the fact that this film was ballsy with who they killed off, and there was tons of eye candy. :drool:

Superman is going to trump it, though. Not a doubt in my mind.

Hicks
05-27-2006, 12:22 PM
Here are some gems from other boards from people who liked X3 as much as I did:

My roomate from college just got back from seeing this today, he went in with no expectations, however he's a big Cyclops fan, his response to the movie was, "kill it, kill it with fire".

Not good.

Honestly, the only way I could've enjoyed X3 less was if it was a snuff film starring members of my immediate family.

For fairness sake, if this film was called "Mutant Folks" or "Stabby McStabberson and his Powerful Friends" and had nothing to do with X-Men, I could say it was a serviceable B action movie.

As it stands though, this film is nothing more than a big “**** you” to fans and a spectacular loss of potential

X-Men: Watch Brett Ratner snort coke off a stripper's tits and flush an entire flanchise down the drain.

**** YOU, RATNER!

**** YOU!

I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course. :laugh:

rexnom
05-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Don't worry, man, Spider-Man 3 is coming soon with quality actors, quality directing, quality characters, and probably a quality plot. I wouldn't worry too much.

Stryder
05-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Here are some gems from other boards from people who liked X3 as much as I did:

Fanboys....geeze....

Stryder
05-28-2006, 12:47 AM
"Havoc"

Not very good. But you did get to see Anne Hathaway topless for a short scene. That's a plus. But the movie was bad.

Lord Helmet
05-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Don't worry, man, Spider-Man 3 is coming soon with quality actors, quality directing, quality characters, and probably a quality plot. I wouldn't worry too much.
Hell yeah!

Arcadian
05-28-2006, 03:28 AM
I honestly don't think that there was that much of a drop off in the X-men franchise. Watching Richard Prior in the Superman franchise, Jim Carey then my governor as villians those were franchise killers.

I honestly think that too much is being made of it. If some enjoyed it why do others need to go out of there way to kill that joy? Where is the watch and let watch attitude of summer blockbusters?

Hicks
05-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I honestly think that too much is being made of it. If some enjoyed it why do others need to go out of there way to kill that joy? Where is the watch and let watch attitude of summer blockbusters?

What you've just said to me is, "If you liked it, preach on. But if you didn't, shut up and don't rock the boat." No thanks. As I've said, I really, really liked X2 (and X1 was good too), and this one horribly disappointed me. I can and will say as much. I haven't insulted anyone who likes the movie, nor criticised them. If they like it, good for them, but I passionately disagree with their view.

bulletproof
05-28-2006, 11:36 AM
I really, really liked X2
:unimpress

and X1 was good too

this one horribly disappointed me.

;)

Arcadian
05-28-2006, 08:26 PM
I thought we had the same position?

I think art should be appreciated, and either you like it or you don't. Who gives a **** past that. If you like it, explore and induldge to your heart's content. If you don't, move along.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20102&page=2

Hicks
05-28-2006, 08:49 PM
I know that's been my typical position. I get defensive when I try to have a discussion about something I enjoy and someone else wants to come along and **** over it. That is why after giving my short reaction on the "Go see X3!" thread, I moved here to go off on it because this is a general movie thread. I would feel hypocritical if I'd posted my last several replies on that thread instead of this one, but I didn't.

Furthemore, I've found that typically the people who come in to rain on the parade often don't care about the movie I care about. I tend to view that as looking to rain on someone's parade, or simply looking for a fight, or otherwise to be confrontational. But in my case, I care about the X-Men movies. I grew up with the 90's cartoon, which prompted me to read some of the comic classics through paperback, and of course led me to checking out the movies from 2000 on. Beyond that, I liked the first one, adored the second one, and originally was hyped like crazy for this one. When I read about all of the internal changes for X3 I grew very concerned, and was extremely disappointed on Friday when my fears came true, and I dislikes the vast majority of what I saw, and thought it was crap in comparison to X2.

So I view what I've said differently than the kind of situation I just described; I ranted because I cared about it, not because I wanted to be the bully to someone.

Dab
05-29-2006, 11:50 AM
The Breakfast Club.

I've seen it a couple times now and it still hasn't gotten old.

One of my favorite movies.
RIP (http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/28/obit.gleason.ap/index.html?section=cnn_topstories) Paul "Mess with the bull, you'll get the horns" Gleason http://belong-2.us/images/paulgleason.jpg

Lord Helmet
05-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Spider-Man 2. Such a good movie, and Kirsten Dunst....:drool:

I can't wait for the 3rd movie. Seriously. I'm pumped for the 3rd film.

Unclebuck
05-29-2006, 03:35 PM
"Over the hedge" I usually don't like animated movies, and I didn't love this one, but it was clever and funny in spots.

Skaut_Ech
05-29-2006, 06:27 PM
"Broken Flowers"

Definitely not a movie for everyone, but it really stayed with me stronger, the longer I was from viewing it. The movie makes you work a bit and fill in some blanks. It makes you draw upon some of your own life experieces to reach some conclusions about some of the characters. To explain to movie doesn't do it justice. I know some people hated About Schmidt with Jack Nicholson, but that's the best comparison I can come up with in terms of how low-key Bill Murray is.

To be honest, I was a bit irritated when the movie ended until I gave it some reflection and my irritatin became admiration. A really smart, subtle movie about a guy who has put his life in a state of inertia and what it takes to bring him to self awareness. Not for everybody, but pretty rewarding if you have the patience. I'm glad I bought it sight unseen. I'm looking forward to re-watching it just to take in Murray's facial expressions.

Shade
05-29-2006, 07:39 PM

;)

So, then, you disliked the first two but liked the third one? :eyebrow: ;)

Kegboy
05-29-2006, 07:50 PM
X3

I never read the comics, but saw enough of the cartoon to have a general feel of things. I was disappointed in the first two, so combined with all the hate on 3, I had low expectations. But I enjoyed it.

Do I see why the fans are mad? Sure. But I don't see the problem with Ratner. He took a script with serious problems, and IMO did a pretty good job with it, considering the unreasonable deadlines putupon him by the studio.

As for the deaths (we'll call them A, B, and C), didn't bother me at all. I never cared for A or C anyhow, and I knew all about B cause I can't resist those shiny Spoiler buttons. :D

[edit] Also, saw the new Superman trailer. It's the first one that "spoke to me", so to speak. Hadn't really connected with anything I saw before it.

Skaut_Ech
05-29-2006, 09:46 PM
X3

I never read the comics, but saw enough of the cartoon to have a general feel of things. I was disappointed in the first two, so combined with all the hate on 3, I had low expectations. But I enjoyed it.

Do I see why the fans are mad? Sure. But I don't see the problem with Ratner. He took a script with serious problems, and IMO did a pretty good job with it, considering the unreasonable deadlines putupon him by the studio.

As for the deaths (we'll call them A, B, and C), didn't bother me at all. I never cared for A or C anyhow, and I knew all about B cause I can't resist those shiny Spoiler buttons. :D

Yeah, I'm not gonna blame Ratner for a weak script. I enjoyed it myself for what it was. I though his pacing was a little fast on some of the scenes that were supposed to be emotional, but direction-wise, he's not to blame.

What makes the comics good are the emotional connections and the script didn't allow for them. It would have been nice for Hank and Wolverine to show a kinship, like in the book. Bobby and Wolverine seemed to be heading for this knda, big brother/little brother relationship, but that went by the wayside. No one got a few quite moments for any kind of character development. It was too much about the theme and flash-bangs. It was okay for what it was. I don't think it was horrible by any means and I, for one, don't/didn't want them to follow what happened in the book like it was gospel.

And like you, I finally felt something for Superman, based on the trailer.

indytoad
05-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Glengarry Glen Ross. Rented it on the recommendation of...well, about everybody here. Who knew a movie about real estate could be so intense? The acting was just fantastic all around, especially Lemmon. And now I know where Ol' Gil comes from.

Layer Cake. Short and sweet, but you gotta pay attention. Got a bit of a James Bond preview with Daniel Craig playing it cool.

IndyToad
A principality

Natston
05-30-2006, 06:36 AM
Jarhead

Very meh. I didn't mind it being a "lack-of-war" war movie, in fact I knew it was like that going in. But damn you need something else if you're going to go that direction. It could have been 10x greater. But there was almost no character development in a quasi-character driven movie. It didn't seem to have much of a theme or goal... :2stars: out of :5stars:

Hicks
05-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Here is the trailer I saw in front of X-Men 3 that I really liked for Superman Returns:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/supermanreturns.html

sweabs
06-01-2006, 12:26 PM
The 40 Year Old Virgin.

btowncolt
06-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Down in the Valley.

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

Unclebuck
06-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Finally saw MI-3.

Not nearly as good as the first one but better than the second, but overall I didn't like Mission Impossible 3. I was very detached from the story. The violence and action had a numbing effect on me, I didn't care who lived, who died or anything except I wanted Philip Seymour Hoffman to be in every scene. A better movie would have been about him.

The twists and turns were, like who cares.

The best part of the movie is the way they captured Hoffman, but it went downhill from there.

United 93 was just a much better movie from start to finish, gripping, involving, suspenseful, just a much better movie.

rexnom
06-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Here is the trailer I saw in front of X-Men 3 that I really liked for Superman Returns:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/supermanreturns.html
I can say that I am legitimately excited now. And I'm a Marvel fan.

Kegboy
06-02-2006, 06:01 AM
Layer Cake

Fun little movie. I enjoyed the style, for the most part, even though at times it didn't seem to fit the story. Got a bit cutsie with the camera, too. I can see where Vaughn made a name for himself, but getting X3 after this? I think we were better off with Ratner. That's too much pressure for a sophmore director.

Craig's an interesting pick for 007. However, I'm afraid he was picked to give the impression that Bond will be edgy and conflicted, more emotional depth, but the script won't bring it. The actor can only do so much.

As for the end of the film... As he walked out and was naming off everyone, I kept expecting him to say Sydney. When he didn't, I thought to myself, "Well, then how did he get the girl?" They sure answered my question, didn't they. :laugh:

rexnom
06-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Lord of War. I liked it. Reminded me of Blow.

Ron who?
06-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Romeo Must Die

pollardfreek
06-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

They don't make 'em like that anymore.

sweabs
06-03-2006, 07:55 PM
American Pie 4 - sucked.

Lord Helmet
06-03-2006, 08:40 PM
American Pie 4 - sucked.
You actually watched that ****? You could tell from the commercials that it was just one last attempt to squeeze everything out of that franchise that they could.

Lord Helmet
06-04-2006, 12:22 AM
Saving Private Ryan.

Great, great movie.

sweabs
06-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Waiting.
Wedding Crashers.

Bball
06-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Duel

Steven Spielberg film made for TV. Approx 1972... starring Dennis Weaver and a semi. Very 'Hitchcock like'.

-Bball

Arcadian
06-05-2006, 01:53 AM
Good Night, Good Luck. I learned that in the fifties the close up was the only shot invented. One of the most poorly directed movies I've seen a in while. The plot was a mess as well.

Unclebuck
06-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Good Night, Good Luck. I learned that in the fifties the close up was the only shot invented. One of the most poorly directed movies I've seen a in while. The plot was a mess as well.

Wow, I loved the movie

Arcadian
06-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Maybe I was in a cranky mood when I saw it but I was really disappointed. It was my X3.

bulletproof
06-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Poorly directed? Yikes. Derivative maybe. He borrowed heavily from the Italian neo-realists. You could argue that their movies were sloppily directed (photo-real/vérité), but there was a method and a beauty in that.

Arcadian
06-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I hadn't thought of that but I can see it now.

Perhaps I should just say I didn't care for his direction choices. I shots felt more like film student choices--overly indulgent in the use of close ups and on the whole too many frivolous shots. To me it added a note melodrama, hurt the pacing and ineffetively conveyed the moods or emotions intended.

All of which is fine I guess I was just disappointed after hearing so many great things about it.

indytoad
06-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Date Movie. I've enjoyed the Scary Movie...movies, so know that my taste in films is not refined. That being said, this movie was terrible. Atrocious. Miserable. But most of all: boring. Lands in my bottom five with ease.

Pi. Strange - really strange - but intriguing. Numerology is always a very interesting plot device, suprised more movies don't make use of it. Looking back at it, though, the movie didn't really seem to do much with pi itself. I think I may have to watch it again.

IndyToad
Much less cool

Natston
06-07-2006, 02:08 AM
History of Violence

Bleh. I didn't think it was very thought provoking and I hated the way the story took off from what was a good story at the beginning. Oh yeah the lack of an ending sucked as well...

dannyboy
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Schindler's List
Thank You For Smoking

Bball
06-07-2006, 05:27 PM
March of the Penquins

Interesting movie where a wrongly convicted penquin looks to escape from Antartica.

Wait... I might be mixing it up with Shawshank Redemption. That Morgan Freeman voiceover is confusing.

-Bball

Stryder
06-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Agatha Christie's Thirteen at Dinner

- Not as good as Death on the Nile (my favorite Christie movie) or even Murder on the Orient Express, but Ustinov does a good job as Poirot.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

- I really enjoyed this but the ending I did not like. And I also have a kind dislike of Giovanni Ribisi. But I do like Paltrow's Polly Perkins and it also had a role for Michael Gambon, so that's a plus.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

- I enjoyed it for what it was. Nothing more than a decent action movie. I did enjoy the marriage bickering though. And anything with Angelina Jolie is a plus for me.

Sky High

- A little kid's superhero movie. I thought they did a good job with this one. But I like most superhero movies or is that, movies with superheroes in them.

The Human Behavior Experiments

- Caught this on Sundance. Very good documentary.

Natston
06-08-2006, 02:46 AM
X3

I was disappointed in the first two, so combined with all the hate on 3, I had low expectations. But I enjoyed it.

That sums up my feelings on it...

Edit: My only real complaint was that Nightcrawler wasn't in it...

:3stars: out of :5stars:

Natston
06-08-2006, 05:21 AM
12 Monkeys

I remembered how I was interested in this movie as kid but I never got to see it. After seeing it numerous times on the movie rack in Walmart, and checking it out on rottentomatoes, I finally broke down and bought it. It was cool about how all the random stuff started to fit togther towards the end.

I'm a sucker for time travel movies...

:3stars: out of :5stars:

317Kim
06-09-2006, 08:30 AM
The Goonies

RWB
06-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Have you noticed no one seems to mention watching Fight Club?

Spicoli
06-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Fight Club.

Hicks
06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
I need to watch Fight Club again. It's probably been 3 years.

efx
06-09-2006, 01:59 PM
Fight Club is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'll never forgive the studio for marketing it as something it wasn't. And screw Rosie O'Donell for ruining the movie by spoling the ending on her show right when it came out.

Ron who?
06-09-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm Gonna Git You Sucka.. probably one of the funniest movies i have seen if you havent you should see this movie

indytoad
06-10-2006, 11:15 PM
BloodRaybe. Grab a couple brews, hang out with some friends, and watch a Uwe Boll movie. What's not to like about that? Not as ludicrously terrible as House of the Dead, but still very high on the "so bad it's good" scale. I just can't figure out how the guy keeps getting progressively bigger budgets, flop after flop. But the best part? Michelle Rodriguez trying to do some kind of English accent. I think that's what it was, we had no idea what she was going for. It was SO BAD. Michael Madsen, on the other hand, tried an accent for a couple scenes and didn't bother for the rest of the movie.

X-Men: The Last Stand. Not sure what I was expecting after all the poor reviews I heard, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't think it was substantially worse than the first two - it certainly achieved a much more epic feel. Still rather upset they could find any room for Gambit, but at least the actress that played Kitty Pryde was cute.

IndyToad
Only $189 a month

317Kim
06-11-2006, 12:22 PM
The Terminal

Jermaniac
06-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I saw Goal with this one girlie last night. The movie was alright.

317Kim
06-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Like Mike 2:Streetball :disappoin I was hoping for the return of Morris Chestnut and Bow Wow duo.

Mark Cuban is the coach :laugh:

MagicRat
06-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Cars.

It was fun.........

Hicks
06-11-2006, 09:37 PM
I saw Cars today with my neice. It was OK. I like the other Pixar movies a lot more, but this one was still good.

Natston
06-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Blazing Saddles

First time seeing the whole thing, I was a little disappointed to say the least. The second half needed to be like the first half...

317Kim
06-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Underworld 2.

I never knew things could get so ugly. eeesh.

McClintic Sphere
06-15-2006, 09:45 AM
Howl's Moving Castle Another Miyazaki triumph.

Stryder
06-15-2006, 01:44 PM
Underworld 2.

I never knew things could get so ugly. eeesh.

What do you mean?

Leisure Suit Larry
06-15-2006, 01:57 PM
http://www.derekmartin.com/roxbury.jpg

Ron who?
06-15-2006, 02:03 PM
my sister made me watch The Break-up with her and a group of our friends cuz 60% of the people were to scared to watch The Omen....
btw if anybody has seen The Omen i would like some reviews...

and o yeah the break-up was really really ****ty

indytoad
06-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Oldboy aka Ants on a Train. Yeah...wow. That's one that'll stay with ya for a while. The most disturbing twist I think I've ever seen, and not in any way because of the gore. This is what a revenge film should be.

The Island. Better than I was expecting, but it could been so much more than just another action movie. I also would've enjoyed the first 45 minutes more if the promos hadn't revealed the entire plot.

Walk the Line. Admittedly I don't know anything about Johnny Cash, so as far as I could tell Juaquin Pheonix did a bang-up job. The biggest twist was finding out Cash died an old man, married for many years. What kind of rock star does he think he is?! Still, great movie.

IndyToad
Stop it, stop right now

Arcadian
06-16-2006, 02:16 AM
I was watching Capote and really enjoyed it. Then the DVD stopped 2/3rds in and I don't know if he finished the book or not.

McClintic Sphere
06-16-2006, 08:10 AM
I was watching Capote and really enjoyed it. Then the DVD stopped 2/3rds in and I don't know if he finished the book or not.

That's where it really got interesting for me as far as divining Capote's intentions as both a writer and confidante. Can he write his version of the truth while the perpetrators are still around to give their version of the truth?