PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Harmonica
12-28-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm very interested in seeing Munich. Is it worth my time or should I wait till DVD?

BTW, if you are interested in the whole ordeal may I suggest you watch "one day in September" a documentry about the entire event.

Gives the best min. by min. analysis that I have ever seen.

Plus the song "Joy" by Apollo 100 is just absolutely haunting at the massacre. This is going to sound crazy but the visual image of the massacre & the song playing in the background gave me nightmares.

Powerfull, IMO, or maybe I'm just weak.

Either way let me know about going to see this film or just waiting.

See it. Here's what I said on the previous page:

Speilberg is known for grand gestures. He can't help himself. As I've said before, he's like the Wizard of Oz pulling the levers with the curtains pulled back for all to see. I tend to appreciate directors who show more restraint. Although I think he showed a lot of restraint with Munich, which may be the best film he has ever done. It may not quite attain masterpiece status on its own, but it could very well be Spielberg’s masterpiece.

Unclebuck
12-29-2005, 05:57 PM
I saw "Brokeback Mountain" today.

Harmonica
12-29-2005, 06:04 PM
I saw "Brokeback Mountain" today.

And...?

Unclebuck
12-29-2005, 06:11 PM
And...?

Sorry, I didn't have time to post much about it.

"Brokeback Mountain" is a very good movie. The acting is first rate, cinematography was great, it draws you into the story and you do really care about the characters. It was subtle and did not overtly promote tyhe homosexual agenda.

I realize the subject matter will turn many people off and cause them not to even consider going to see it. But it is worth seeing, and in many ways the message of the movie is universal to anyones situation.

But there are some sex scenes, some homosexual sex scenes.

I'm curious about a scene late in the movie that you could interpret two ways. In fact I did not even consider interpreting it another way untiol I read a review of the movie. I'll be interested in what others think.

Harmonica
12-29-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm curious about a scene late in the movie that you could interpret two ways. In fact I did not even consider interpreting it another way until I read a review of the movie. I'll be interested in what others think.

What scene?

Unclebuck
12-29-2005, 09:13 PM
What scene?

Have you seen the movie.

There are probably 3 or 4 crucial scenes and this is one of them. But I can't describe it in much detail without giving away something crucial. But it is when Enis is talking to Jack's wife on the phone. The only time those two have ever spoken. While those two are talking they show a scene, a flashback, but are we seeing what really happened, or how Ennis sees it in his imagination? .

I thought it was just a flashback as to what really happened, but it could be the other. Likely they wanted to leave it open to interpretation

Harmonica
12-29-2005, 09:22 PM
Have you seen the movie.

There are probably 3 or 4 crucial scenes and this is one of them. But I can't describe it in much detail without giving away something crucial. But it is when Enis is talking to Jack's wife on the phone. The only time those two have ever spoken. While those two are talking they show a scene, a flashback, but are we seeing what really happened, or how Ennis sees it in his imagination? .

I thought it was just a flashback as to what really happened, but it could be the other. Likely they wanted to leave it open to interpretation

I have seen it. I thought it was a flashback to what actually happened. But that's an interesting way to look at it, considering it was exactly the same thing that Ennis saw that happened to a gay man when he was a kid.

Unclebuck
12-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I have seen it. I thought it was flashback to what actually happened. But that's an interesting way to look at it, considering it was exactly the same thing that Ennis saw that happened to a gay man when he was a kid.

Well I agree with you. But I read the other possibility in Roger Ebert's review.

What did you think of the movie overall.

Harmonica
12-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Well I agree with you. But I read the other possibility in Roger Ebert's review.

What did you think of the movie overall.

I liked it. I wasn't blown away by it, but the story was handled in a sensitive and compelling manner and I was always engaged. Ang Lee directs with a lot of restraint, which I like, especially in The Ice Storm, which to me is an amazing film. Heath Ledger's performance was the best thing about the movie, in my opinion. A friend of mine who saw it at the Toronto Film Festival told me that the producer James Schamus spoke before the screening and said Ledger had practiced for weeks to not move his upper lip when he spoke.

Bball
12-30-2005, 04:57 AM
Crash

A better title might be "Coincidence".... but then that's part of its charm I guess.

Well, I liked it but I can't say I get some of the heaps of praise thrown on it here.

But in it's defense I probably would've appreciated it more if I would've stumbled across it without knowing about it. IOW, I think my expectations were probably a little too high.

Still, it's a good movie and I'd certainly recommend it.

And for Hicks.... I watched it on my 53" widescreen :D

-Bball

Natston
12-30-2005, 01:58 PM
28 Days Later

It was my second time watching it but it was the first time I actually caught the very beginning...

----- WARNING -----

I still really like it because the most dangerous thing in the world is still mans' self gratification...

Hicks
12-30-2005, 02:01 PM
The thing about Crash is, the coincidences never bothered me. When they happen, I take it to mean these events happened, and BECAUSE they ran into each other, they are now the main characters, not the other way around, if that makes any sense to anyone besides me.

Unclebuck
12-30-2005, 02:22 PM
The thing about Crash is, the coincidences never bothered me. When they happen, I take it to mean these events happened, and BECAUSE they ran into each other, they are now the main characters, not the other way around, if that makes any sense to anyone besides me.

That does make sense

Harmonica
12-30-2005, 02:40 PM

Not really. But to address your earlier post about Pulp Fiction and coincidences, like I said, I take into consideration what a film's aspirations are. Crash, for example, aspires to be a serious drama about race relations. And when it comes to serious dramas, I have a very low tolderance for too many false notes and contrivances, which the myriad coincidences in Crash felt like to me. But I'm probably less forgiving than the average movie goer when it comes to things like that. Again, I liked Crash, but there were too many false notes for me to love it.

Pulp Fiction, on the other hand, aspires to be, well, a pure pulp crime story. It doesn't aspire to be a real-life/serious crime drama. And certain genres predispose one to suspend their disbelief more than others. Plus, had you seen Reservoir Dogs before you saw Pulp Fiction, you kind of half-knew what you were in for.

Skaut_Ech
12-30-2005, 05:24 PM
Got an unexpected surprise today. I went to return a movie and I had a free rental coming. I grabbed "Monster", with Charlize Theron. Can't wait to see it after Ebert was so moved by it. I'm hoping to talk my wife into watching it tonight, but we were already planning to watch "Trekkies", which I've already watched once, but want her to experience the hilarity.

Knucklehead Warrior
12-31-2005, 12:17 AM
Captain Blood 1935 Errol Flynn

Stryder
12-31-2005, 01:33 AM
Got an unexpected surprise today. I went to return a movie and I had a free rental coming. I grabbed "Monster", with Charlize Theron. Can't wait to see it after Ebert was so moved by it. I'm hoping to talk my wife into watching it tonight, but we were already planning to watch "Trekkies", which I've already watched once, but want her to experience the hilarity.

Trekkies is awesome.

Stryder
12-31-2005, 10:50 PM
"2001: Space Odyssey"

- Excellent. Probably my favorite Kubrick film.

"The Devil's Rejects"

- Very good. I liked it better than House of 1000 Corpses. I enjoyed the ending with Freebird.

Mourning
01-01-2006, 11:14 AM
"Maria. Full of Grace". Pretty heavystuff, but I liked it.

Harmonica
01-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Annie Hall, to bring in the new year. And The Passion of Joan of Arc earlier in the day. All that talk with Bball about it made me want to see it again.

indytoad
01-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Serenity, finally. Not sure why they felt the need to *removed because some who read this thread are watching it later*, but I still liked it quite a bit. But anyone that says it can be fully appreciated without seeing the series is full of it. Watched it with a friend of mine who had seen about four or five episodes and he was left confused a few too many times.

Also, Stealth. Meh.

IndyToad
Revoking your dude membership

Bball
01-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Earlier, I made the comment that its hard to go wrong with a movie with Jimmy Stewart in it. Welllllllll.... on one of the HD channels, Airport 77 came on the other night (Universal, HDNet, or HDNet Movies (probably HDNet Movies)) and, lo and behold, Jimmy Stewart was in it. Not that I actually sat down and watched Airport '77 in its entirety but apparently it paid well enough to entice Jack Lemmon and Jimmy Stewart to lend their talents to it.

This was made during the "Disaster flick" era when Hollywood was enthralled with people being put in peril. Each movie a little sillier in one way or another than the one before it.

We had:
Earthquake
The Towering Inferno
Posiedon Adventure
Airport
Airport 75

...and Airport 77

I'm sure there were others... but fortunately... I can't remember them.

I'm sure at some point I've seen Airport 77 in its entirety altho watching 15-20 mins of it the other morning didn't bring back any memories. Altho I can tell you the plot involved a heist, a plan gone awry, and the jet crashlanding in the Bermuda triangle... AND then an underwater rescue (the plane survived its water landing and was submerged). Some plane, huh?

Oh well... I didn't even get that far before bailing on the movie and leaving it on in the background. I just wanted to retract my statement about "You can't go wrong when Jimmy Stewart is in a movie".

Note: Hmmmm Did George Kennedy star in every disaster flick???

-Bball "Awaiting someone to tell me I turned away from the best disaster flick of the all"

Hicks
01-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Were there snakes on a plane?

Bball
01-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Were there snakes on a plane?

I don't want to spoil the movie....
Maybe Samuel L Jackson saw this one and thought "I wonder......."

Airport '77

Director: Jerry Jameson

Stars: Jack Lemmon, Brenda Vaccaro, Lee Grant, Darren McGavin, Olivia De Havilland, Joseph Cotten, James Stewart, Christopher Lee, George Kennedy, Robert Foxworth, Robert Hooks, Monte Markham, James Booth, Gil Gerard, M. Emmet Walsh, Michael Pataki

-Bball :tongue:

Unclebuck
01-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Earlier, I made the comment that its hard to go wrong with a movie with Jimmy Stewart in it. Welllllllll.... on one of the HD channels, Airport 77 came on the other night (Universal, HDNet, or HDNet Movies (probably HDNet Movies)) and, lo and behold, Jimmy Stewart was in it. Not that I actually sat down and watched Airport '77 in its entirety but apparently it paid well enough to entice Jack Lemmon and Jimmy Stewart to lend their talents to it.

This was made during the "Disaster flick" era when Hollywood was enthralled with people being put in peril. Each movie a little sillier in one way or another than the one before it.

We had:
Earthquake
The Towering Inferno
Posiedon Adventure
Airport
Airport 75

...and Airport 77

I'm sure there were others... but fortunately... I can't remember them.

I'm sure at some point I've seen Airport 77 in its entirety altho watching 15-20 mins of it the other morning didn't bring back any memories. Altho I can tell you the plot involved a heist, a plan gone awry, and the jet crashlanding in the Bermuda triangle... AND then an underwater rescue (the plane survived its water landing and was submerged). Some plane, huh?

Oh well... I didn't even get that far before bailing on the movie and leaving it on in the background. I just wanted to retract my statement about "You can't go wrong when Jimmy Stewart is in a movie".

Note: Hmmmm Did George Kennedy star in every disaster flick???

-Bball "Awaiting someone to tell me I turned away from the best disaster flick of the all"

I was a huge disaster movie fan. I loved all those. In fact the first real movie I saw in the movie theater was "Towering Inferno" I was maybe 8 years old, I think, but I loved that movie.

yes George kennedy was in every disaster movie. But I saw them all, but Towering Inferno was by far the best. I think it was nominated foir Best picture that year and was nominated for several other awards.

I saw Towering Inferno again a few years ago, and sure the special effect are cheesy, and I didn't like it as much as when I was 8 years old, but it is still a good movie. What is better than seeing O.J. Simpson save a cat.

Bball
01-02-2006, 12:10 AM
I saw Towering Inferno again a few years ago, and sure the special effect are cheesy, and I didn't like it as much as when I was 8 years old, but it is still a good movie. What is better than seeing O.J. Simpson save a cat.

I almost added a caveat to The Towering Inferno. It's kind of like Rocky I to all the Rocky's that followed. The first one did it best. AFAIK, The Towering Inferno was the first. Or at least 'first' that was a cut above and brought a spotlight to the genre.

EDIT: I feel I should add that Rocky I was easily a better movie than Towering Inferno (IMO)... I wasn't making that type of comparison. I don't consider TI as 'bad' though.

-Bball

Natston
01-02-2006, 04:56 AM
Airplane!

For all the Airplane disaster flicks that Bball discussed...

Suaveness
01-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Wedding Crashers! Love this movie

Mourning
01-03-2006, 09:27 PM
I just saw "Dinner Rush" and loved it. Really good movie has a lot of good things in it.

heywoode
01-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Wedding Crashers! Love this movie

Maybe you didn't hear me. I've got a stage 5 clinger!

LouisvilleLip
01-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Syriana, great movie.

dannyboy
01-04-2006, 12:45 PM
A Soldier's Story
The Bingo Long Traveling All Stars & Motor Kings
The Passion of the Christ
Redemption: The Stan Tookie Williams Story

All very good movies.

Kegboy
01-04-2006, 01:07 PM
I caught the last half of Duel last night. One of the few Spielberg movies I like.

Pig Nash
01-05-2006, 01:45 AM
Chronicles of Narnia, SWEIII, and Serenity

burnzone
01-05-2006, 04:11 AM
I watched Oldboy on the Sundance channel the other night, and I always take interest in Harmonica, and others talking about independent foriegn movies, as I have never watched many, I really enjoyed this movie.

I felt like the characters were so compelling, that even though it was subtitled, as I was reading what they were saying, it was as if I could hear the characters voices saying the english words.

I also thought it was put together with a good plot, and really moved well through the story with seamless transitions, and limited amounts of predictability.

Just one of those movies that when I finished watching it, I thought to myself, "WTF, could that ***** really happen in real life to someone?"

Excellent movie, even if you are of the ilk that doesn't generally like "reading" movies, this is a must watch.

I also watched Serenity on dvd the other night, and I'll just say I wasn't impressed, I never have seen the show, so I don't have the attatchment others do to this series, but I just felt like there were way too many lines, and scenes in this movie that were cheesy as hell to me.

Exorcism of Emily Rose also did not impress me much, I will even say I was disappointed, because most of the movie is court scenes, rather than actual exorcism, or possession scenes, or imagery, and maybe I was expecting it to be on the level of The Exorcist, and I shouldn't have.

Finally, I also watched Duel on the Sundance channel, made by Steven Spielberg back in 1971, about a guy on his way to a meeting, and lets just say has some problems with a truck driver on the highway.

This was a really good movie, only about 90 minutes, but for being almost 35 years old, and no special effects, this was excellent, and definitely also worth watching, if you've never seen it.

Bball
01-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Finally, I also watched Duel on the Sundance channel, made by Steven Spielberg back in 1971, about a guy on his way to a meeting, and lets just say has some problems with a truck driver on the highway.

This was a really good movie, only about 90 minutes, but for being almost 35 years old, and no special effects, this was excellent, and definitely also worth watching, if you've never seen it.

Starring Dennis Weaver.... AKA Marshall McCloud.

I just realized few have a clue who Marshall Sam McCloud is these days....

He was also in a classic Twilight Zone episode where he was to be executed and he was trying to explain to the court that it all was a dream and their existence was the product of his dream...

I'm sure he's had other worthwhile acting roles in his life but I can't seem to rec...
Oooooo wait.... he was in Gunsmoke... At least back in the early years.

-Bball "worthless trivia"

MagicRat
01-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Saw The Chronicles of Narnia last week while on vacation. I enjoyed it.

Doug
01-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Star Wars Ep. 3

Elf

I'd seen both before, but I got Ep3 for Christmas and my kids got Elf.

Elf is really cute. I like that one a lot.

Bob Newhart cracks me up every time. He could make me laugh by reading the phone book.

Harmonica
01-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I watched Oldboy on the Sundance channel the other night, and I always take interest in Harmonica, and others talking about independent foriegn movies, as I have never watched many, I really enjoyed this movie.

I felt like the characters were so compelling, that even though it was subtitled, as I was reading what they were saying, it was as if I could hear the characters voices saying the english words.

I also thought it was put together with a good plot, and really moved well through the story with seamless transitions, and limited amounts of predictability.

Just one of those movies that when I finished watching it, I thought to myself, "WTF, could that ***** really happen in real life to someone?"

Excellent movie, even if you are of the ilk that doesn't generally like "reading" movies, this is a must watch.

My plan is working. Soon Hicks will be watching Bergman films and the world will be mine! :evillaugh

McClintic Sphere
01-05-2006, 02:50 PM
I saw Walk the Line, the Johnny Cash flick. While Joaquin Phoenix wasn't horrible and seemed to avoid any effort towards direct mimicry of JC, his performance left me wanting more revelation as to the formation of the authentic Johnny. It was essentially a series of collected anecdotes from the JC autobiographies, and while it collected these scenes from childhood towards stardom, it never got within a hundred miles of depicting why Johnny was so genuine, so unique. Maybe an impossible task?
Reese Witherspoon, however, was sparkling as June Carter Cash and completely worth the price of admission just for her performance. The music sequences were well done also. I'd give it a C+. Enjoyable, but nothing really sticks to the ribs.

Gyron
01-05-2006, 04:44 PM
I saw on my flight to Cali and back:

Dreamer....not a bad movie, but not a GREAT movie either. Just a nice little story about a horse, a little girl, and a great comeback.

Just Like Heaven.
Again, not a horrible movie, but not "Great". Starred reese witherspoon, which I like looking at in any movie just because of her look. It was about a doctor who dies and comes back as a ghost only to find out the reason she came back is the man who moves into her apartment was her destiny.....A chic flick for sure. but not the worst one I have evr seen, just not one of the best ones either....

Mourning
01-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Saw "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" last night, I liked it. Pretty absurd humour, nice job from Robert Downing Jr.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

stipo
01-06-2006, 12:13 PM
:shakehand:.....:hug2:.....:pillow:....:kiss:...:f ireworks:...:spitout:= "Brokeback Mountain"

Just kidding. I haven't seen it yet, just amusing myself with smileys. :laugh:

Gyron
01-06-2006, 12:18 PM
:shakehand:.....:hug2:.....:pillow:....:kiss:...:f ireworks:...:spitout:= "Brokeback Mountain"

Just kidding. I haven't seen it yet, just amusing myself with smileys. :laugh:

I'm waiting on Harmonica to give us his report on Brokeback Mountain...For some reason, that just sounds like his kind of movie...

Harmonica
01-06-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm waiting on Harmonica to give us his report on Brokeback Mountain...For some reason, that just sounds like his kind of movie...

What exactly is my kind of movie?

Anyway...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7837&page=52

McClintic Sphere
01-06-2006, 02:49 PM

Anyway...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7837&page=52

We know you've been gathering films from the voluminous gay cowboy genre for years now, so just stop with the coy, "what exactly is my kind of movie" bit.

Gyron
01-06-2006, 03:50 PM

I would define it as a movie that most of us wouldn't pay to see:-p ......just kidding around.

I know you watch a lot of movies I have never even heard of. But I'm sure most of them are good.

MagicRat
01-07-2006, 01:37 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/lenottibianche.jpg

It was well lit......

Bball
01-07-2006, 04:41 AM
In honor of Harmonica I've changed my avatar for the weekend....

-Bball

Harmonica
01-07-2006, 05:21 AM
In honor of Harmonica I've changed my avatar for the weekend....

-Bball

Beautiful.

Bball
01-07-2006, 07:49 AM
Beautiful.

Your screencap looks sharper than mine. Did you do your own screencap? Could just be the focus or a product of the restoration at those points....

...or you have better software than me....

-Bball

MagicRat
01-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume II

Bball
01-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Star Wars: Clone Wars, Volume II

When you say "Volume II" are you telling us that is as far as you could turn the volume up without the cheesey dialogue driving you crazy? ;)

-Bball

Bball
01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
The Passion of Joan of Arc

Harmonica is correct... It's very innovative for it's day. Some of it would still be innovative. The director obviously had a very good vision and understanding of the camera (or ability to communicate with the cinematographer). He was able to create incredible tension with many of the shots (as well as get some very very good acting out of the cast).

I watched it with the orchestra soundtrack (it's a silent movie). I intend to watch the commentary, but haven't as of yet.

The quality of the film restoration is also very good (and it's obvious the source gave them something to work with). There's a fly buzzing around that should get billed in the credits.

I'm curious if a real corpse was used at the end for the flames. I was surprised the movie actually went there because I didn't figure they had the technology to make that look realistic. I expected to see smoke around Joan and then a cut to the crowd of onlookers and let their faces and reactions tell the rest. It looked realistic to me.

This movie went to some dark places (ie: the body in flames, the worms in the skull, etc) .

-Bball

Stryder
01-09-2006, 03:13 PM
"The Island"

I enjoyed it for what it was.

"Blade: Trinity"

I really liked this film. There were a couple of different endings, depending on which version of the film you watched. I still liked the first one better, but this was decent.

"Bourne Supremacy"

Once again, I enjoyed it, but I really don't like Matt Damon and his acting skills.

BluBlood
01-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I purchased and watched the following movies over the weekend:

Bottle Rocket
The Royal Tenenbaums (Criterion Collection, like $16 bucks at BB)
Magnolia
Kung Fu Hustle
The Sting

Skaut_Ech
01-09-2006, 09:15 PM
I purchased and watched the following movies over the weekend:

Bottle Rocket
The Royal Tenenbaums (Criterion Collection, like $16 bucks at BB)
Magnolia
Kung Fu Hustle
The Sting

Man, I love BR, RT and Magnolia. I've got Kung Fu Hustle, but haven't watched it yet.

How did you like Bottle Rocket. I sat people down and forced them to watch it when it first came out on video. I really enjoyed it.

BluBlood
01-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Man, I love BR, RT and Magnolia. I've got Kung Fu Hustle, but haven't watched it yet.

How did you like Bottle Rocket. I sat people down and forced them to watch it when it first came out on video. I really enjoyed it.

I liked Bottle Rocket. It was actually my first time watching the movie (I feel ashamed prolonging it so long, because i am a big fan of Wes Anderson's)

I usually don't care for Owen Wilson as an actor, i think he's best as a writer. But in BR, he had me rolling. His best performance IMO.

Unclebuck
01-10-2006, 11:31 AM
What is "Bottle Rocket" Who is in it, when did it come out, what type of movie is it

McClintic Sphere
01-10-2006, 11:56 AM
What is "Bottle Rocket" Who is in it, when did it come out, what type of movie is it

A description of the plot, or what there is of it, doesn't really do the pleasure of the film justice. It was Wes Anderson's first commercial film and stars Owen and Luke Wilson as best friends. Luke is so taken by his friend's good-natured and optimistic plans, that he goes along with his unrealistic schemings to hilarious results. James Caan also appears as a sort of local crime figure. The characters make the film, IMO and it isn't cluttered like I find Anderson's other films. Just very winsome interactions amongst the main group of actors and their guileless attitude towards life. The secondary characters are also very unique, giving you just enough of a glimpse that you think there might be a very strange backstory attached to them.

Skaut_Ech
01-10-2006, 12:01 PM
It's by Wes Anderson, who wrote/directed Rushmore & Royal Tennebaums. It was his first movie and for some reason never found an audience. It's his usual dry humor, but not as grand as Rushmore or RT. Owen and Luke Wilson are in it, if you know them and it interesting to see them before they became part of the Hollywood acting machine. If you read a synopsis of the movie, it'll sound like "So what", but the WAY Anderson tells his story is pretty funny. It's not belly laugh out loouod funny. It's that kind of sustained amusement that makes it really enjoyable.

Basically, it's a crime caper committed by bungling youngsters lacking the self awareness to realize how clueless they are at times.

If you can find it, I really reccomend it if you like dry, quirky humor. It feels like what it is: a small indie film by a first time director, but enjoyable, none-the-less. I think if you liked Rushmore, you'd like this.

I liked Bottle Rocket. It was actually my first time watching the movie (I feel ashamed prolonging it so long, because i am a big fan of Wes Anderson's)

I usually don't care for Owen Wilson as an actor, I think he's best as a writer. But in BR, he had me rolling. His best performance IMO.

Yeah, I actually find Owen annoying as hell, BUT he's hilarious in BR. He's got this sensitive guy persona now that he trots out for the majority of his films that bugs the crap outta me.

I refuse to watch the Starsky and Hutch remake becasue a.) I suspect he's doing it again and b) I think Ben Stiller is one of the biggest no-talents in Hollywood. He's the Steve Guttenburg of the modern era.

Mourning
01-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Just bought:

- Casualty of War
- Requiem for a Dream
- From Dusk Till Dawn

Regards,

Mourning
01-10-2006, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I actually find Owen annoying as hell, BUT he's hilarious in BR. He's got this sensitive guy persona now that he trots out for the majority of his films that bugs the crap outta me.

I refuse to watch the Starsky and Hutch remake becasue a.) I suspect he's doing it again and b) I think Ben Stiller is one of the biggest no-talents in Hollywood. He's the Steve Guttenburg of the modern era.

Yes, Owens IS annoying and you are doing the right thing, I suspected the Starsky and Hutch remake would suck, but got talked into renting it anyway. I really don't understand how that happenned, but I rented it (SHAME ON ME!!! :blush:). The movie sucks really badly, sorry I waisted my time on it.

But, Owens is ok in that other movie? Hmmm... maybe I'll look something up about it on the I-net and see it sometime.

Regards,

MagicRat
01-11-2006, 10:56 AM
When you say "Volume II" are you telling us that is as far as you could turn the volume up without the cheesey dialogue driving you crazy? ;)

-Bball

Clone Wars is a cartoon that covers the time between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The ending of Volume II leads directly into the opening of Revenge of the Sith. They spend more time fighting the Clone Wars and less time talking, so the dialogue isn't a big problem. There are also key points in the saga, including the knighting of Anakin and the capture of Palpatine.

I recommend it for fans of Star Wars.......

(Oh and your screen cap looks like it came from a janitor's closet in a mental institution.........)

Bball
01-12-2006, 06:02 AM
Clone Wars is a cartoon that covers the time between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. The ending of Volume II leads directly into the opening of Revenge of the Sith. They spend more time fighting the Clone Wars and less time talking, so the dialogue isn't a big problem. There are also key points in the saga, including the knighting of Anakin and the capture of Palpatine.

I recommend it for fans of Star Wars.......

(Oh and your screen cap looks like it came from a janitor's closet in a mental institution.........)

I forgot about the animated stuff.

Yes, directly from the janitor's closet. I don't yet have the heart to change Joan for something else.

-Bball

Stryder
01-13-2006, 10:16 AM
"Alexander"

Do not watch this movie. It is very boring and not very good at all. Colin Farrell has to be the most overrated actor of this generation.

"SNL: The Best of Christopher Walken"

Hilarious. Walken is my favorite actor of all time. I've got a fever! And the only prescription is...more cowbell!

McClintic Sphere
01-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Hilarious. Walken is my favorite actor of all time.

Have you seen At Close Range? He and Sean Penn's finest moment IMO.

Stryder
01-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Have you seen At Close Range? He and Sean Penn's finest moment IMO.

No, I haven't seen that movie, but I will look it up and see if I can find a copy of it.

Bball
01-13-2006, 03:57 PM
"Madison"

(No, not Billy Madison). It's a movie made in Madison, IN about the Regatta and '71 Gold Cup.

I didn't expect much but I thought it would be neat to see since it was filmed in Madison and had some narration by Mellencamp (playing the voice of the son of Jim McCormick (who's the central character). It's based on real events.

This movie was not nearly as cheaply made as I expected (considering it's short theatrical run before going to video... I'm not even sure it didn't go straight to video after the premiere). It's well acted (Jim Caviezel is the star, Bruce Dern is also in it). It has nice pacing. A good story.

It's a sports movie in the mold of Hooisers, Rudy and I suppose Miracle too. It's not just about the boat racing. It's about the town, the people, their lives... and a moment in history. It transcends the sport that surrounds it and goes deeper. It's not Days of Thunder or Dodgeball.

Maybe I am a sucker for those type of movies but I really enjoyed this movie. I think it is a shame it didn't get the national exposure (and thus recognition) it deserved.

And I recommend watching the closing credits as well... they show snippets of the ABC Wide World of Sports video from the actual 1971 event that climaxes the movie.

-Bball

Peck
01-14-2006, 01:51 AM
I finally made it to Narnia. It was good film with a real suprise for me, I have never read the books.

I don't see how they can make a running series of these though, but they will give it the old college try.

SycamoreKen
01-14-2006, 02:07 PM
We watched SAW last night on Showtime IN Demand. It was much different than I expected. I thought it was going to be more gore. That it wasn't actually made it better. A decent suspense thriller. Now we have to see SAW II.

Harmonica
01-14-2006, 05:55 PM
The Last Detail (1973). Classic Nicholson.

The Constant Gardener (2005). Well-shot and well-told, but not my cup o' tea exactly.

LouisvilleLip
01-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Nobody Knows (2004) Just came out on DVD a couple weeks ago.

Great movie, one of the best I have seen for quite a while. Director and writer Hirokazu Koreeda did an amazing job putting this movie together, it was unbelieveable. Its a very emotional movie, it also really puts tough times into perspective when you compare what these kids have been through.

I've read about this and have been on the fence about whether or not to buy it. Looks like I might have to check it out. Great. Another DVD to add to the heap. ;)

Just wondered if you have seen this movie yet? After rewatching it multiple times it has become one of my top 5 fav movies.

Recently watched:
Good Night and Good Luck
Jarhead
Syriana (3rd time)
Broken Flowers
Capote

beaversnducks311
01-14-2006, 08:24 PM
my roommate and i are watching Pulp Fiction right now.....earlier i rented "dead man walking", "i heart huckabees", and the original "psycho". i'm anxious to watch them.

Frank Slade
01-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Saw The Chronicles of Narnia last week while on vacation. I enjoyed it.

Just took my daugther to see it... very good.

Pig Nash
01-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Patriots: the End of the Dynasty

:devil:

SycamoreKen
01-15-2006, 02:55 AM
Under the Tuscan Sun. Pretty good movie. Of course, getting to watch Diane Lane is never a bad thing. I know its a total chick movie, but I really enjoyed it. Makes us want to take a trip there.

Stryder
01-15-2006, 04:23 PM
"The Brothers Grimm"

Not very good. Don't rent it.

"The Transporter 2"

Okay. I liked the first one better. Statham sure knows his martial arts, but most of the crap in the movie was outlandish and totally unbelievable.

Fireball Kid
01-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Underworld

Harmonica
01-16-2006, 12:26 PM
Nobody Knows (2004) Just came out on DVD a couple weeks ago. Great movie, one of the best I have seen for quite a while.

Just wondered if you have seen this movie yet? After rewatching it multiple times it has become one of my top 5 fav movies.

I guess I should pick this one up, eh? I'll just throw it in the growing pile of other DVDs I've bought but haven't had time to watch. ;)

stipo
01-21-2006, 07:04 PM
"Waking Life". Cool...deep in to some heavy philosophy, but cool. Have a beer and enjoy the visuals.

grace
01-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Glory Road. I loved it. The only thing I would have changed was have Ashley Judd play Don Haskins' wife. :D

For those of you who haven't seen the movie make sure you stay for the credits. They show commentary from Don Haskins, Pat Riley, and several of the Texas Western players.

Finally, a message from Kegboy: For those of you who have seen the movie did you notice that Willie Worsley brought the ball up the court and he wasn't even the point guard. Bobby Joe Hill was. :zip:

indytoad
01-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Underworld: Evolution - brings the story from the first movie to its logical conclusion. I liked the mythos that the first movie created, and while this one doesn't add a whole lot, it stays true to the setting. I enjoyed myself until the last half hour or so, which felt really rushed.

IndyToad
Diagnose you

Stryder
01-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Underworld: Evolution - brings the story from the first movie to its logical conclusion. I liked the mythos that the first movie created, and while this one doesn't add a whole lot, it stays true to the setting. I enjoyed myself until the last half hour or so, which felt really rushed.

IndyToad
Diagnose you

I also saw Underworld: Evolution today.

I really enjoyed it. Beckinsale is hot in the skin-tight outfit, but there is more to the movie than that...haha...

And yes, the ending felt very rushed, but if they made it any longer more people would complain...

I'll be buying this one when it comes out on DVD.

Mourning
01-22-2006, 05:53 AM
"Man-Thing", awfull, don't rent or buy it! :)

beaversnducks311
01-22-2006, 07:03 AM
a pal and i just caught the last 20 minutes of "Soylent Green"....anybody seen it? i thought it was really good, at least the last 20 minutes we saw. Charleton Heston stars.

reminded me of "Logan's run" when i first flipped the channel and saw it on. although i didn't think they were much alike, it still made me think of it.

Doug
01-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

The Brad Pitt / Angelina Jolie version.

Blah. Nonsense plot, nonsense action. Everything is completely implausible.

pollardfreek
01-23-2006, 06:04 PM
The Aristocrats.

Watch this movie. Now.

indypacerfan54
01-24-2006, 01:44 AM
I just watched Kong last night and loved it. I dont understand why there is not more positive responce to this film. It was excellent.

sweabs
01-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Mean Girls

It was late, I couldn't sleep, and there was nothing good on TV.

tora tora
01-24-2006, 02:18 AM
The Touch of Satan

18to88
01-24-2006, 02:25 AM
Mean Girls

It was late, I couldn't sleep, and there was nothing good on TV.

Don't be ashamed of that Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, and Lacey Chabert. NOTHING wrong with that. I watched parts last year on the movie channel in the dorms.

Anyway, I saw Underworld 2. It was pretty good. I don't remember if I saw the 1st or not though.

stipo
01-27-2006, 03:53 PM
"Broken Flowers". Is that how it's supposed to end or did they just run out of money?

Pacersin6
01-28-2006, 11:09 PM
"Broken Flowers". Is that how it's supposed to end or did they just run out of money?

I do enjoy minimalistic films, but this one was not well done. I'm a big fan of Murray, but this one was made without a purpose. Sure, the critics say its about the Journey and not the resolution, i however vehemently disagree

pacercoltfan
01-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Pearl Harbor! I :love: that movie. It's one of my favorites!

MagicRat
01-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Documentary Double Feature tonight:

March of the Penguins/Supersize Me

Both are worth watching.........

heywoode
01-29-2006, 12:26 AM
Haven't seen March of the Penguins, but SuperSize Me rocks...story of my life...

I just watched 'Underworld' tonight...It is good, and Kate Beckinsale is SMOKIN' hot...Way hotter than in Pearl Harbor...Nice to see the range she has also. Will have to watch 'Underworld 2" now....

From Underworld:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/heywoode/assorteds/kate.jpg

From Underworld:Evolution...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d163/heywoode/assorteds/underworld-evolution.jpg

WOW....

I read somewhere that she fired more rounds in the first one than any female has ever fired in a movie before...

SycamoreKen
01-29-2006, 01:30 AM
We went and saw Glory Road today. It is a very good movie. Well acted and it told the story very well. A must see for everyone, especially people that don't know what the culture was like at that time.

indytoad
01-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Red Eye.

Did quite a good job at keeping it interesting, considering the main characters were sitting in the same place for the majority of the first two acts. Better than Phone Booth anyway. The ending was rather standard fare though.

IndyToad
Chunk of concrete

Harmonica
01-29-2006, 12:13 PM
The New World. If you didn't like The Thin Red Line, you'll hate this.

I thought this review summarized it pretty well:

"The New World" is a masterpiece. It's also a little bit boring. It's dull and then dazzling, dull and then brilliant, dull and then awe-inspiring. It lulls viewers into a pleasant trance and then interrupts that trance at frequent intervals for some of the best filmmaking imaginable -- some of it beyond imagining.

In his Nobel acceptance speech, Ernest Hemingway said that to do something truly great a writer must drive himself "far out past where he can go, out to where no one can help him." Frankly, I find it impossible to imagine how Malick made this movie, how he saw it in his head, how he put it together, how he dared hope he could succeed artistically. How did he know that when he put this film together it would even make sense? It's rare in commercial cinema for a director to go this far out, to that no-man's land that Hemingway described. It's yet more rare for one to come back with something this beautiful.

Thumbsucker. Eh.

Bball
02-04-2006, 04:25 PM
Day of the Jackal

It was on the Universal HD channel last night. Good movie altho the climax feels a bit strange. Actually, that's probably because it is restrained and these days we're more used to being fed some fast cutting footage with a chest pounding soundtrack to keep our nerves on edge.

-Bball

Harmonica
02-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Day of the Jackal

It was on the Universal HD channel last night. Good movie altho the climax feels a bit strange. Actually, that's probably because it is restrained and these days we're more used to being fed some fast cutting footage with a chest pounding soundtrack to keep our nerves on edge.

-Bball

Strange. I just went on a 70s movies DVD-buying binge and I picked up "Day of the Jackal," looked at it and put it back down.

McClintic Sphere
02-04-2006, 08:14 PM
I finally saw Capote. The awards Phillip Seymour Hoffman has garnered thus far for his acting in that film are well deserved. He displays all the subtle tics and mannerisms of TC without ever coming across as self-conscious or manneristic. Clifton Collins Jr. also deserves high praise for his portrayal of the doomed killer Perry Smith, a sensitive, posturing, violent man who looks to Capote for redemption and salvation. By juxtaposing Truman Capote's delicate sensibilities with an unflinching view of the graphic victimization on all sides of the crime in question, the filmakers adeptly depict the cauldron in which Capote's last great book was written. The scenes with Smith and Copote on death row are extremely affecting. In the end the aspiring writer in Capote is pitted against his inner humanitarian and his recognition that in the killer Smith there exists much of the "there but for the grace of God, go I"
Only reservations I had were that, if you've ever read the book, In Cold Blood, there had to be a great deal more interaction between Capote and the other killer, Dick Hickock. Probably truncated for time constraints. Highly recommended if you wish to view one of this generation's great actors at the height of his craft.
BTW, here is a really good inteview with PSH at Slate Magazine from earlier this week:
http://www.slate.com/id/2135151/

Suaveness
02-04-2006, 08:24 PM
Poltergeist. Pretty damn scary.

Bball
02-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Strange. I just went on a 70s movies DVD-buying binge and I picked up "Day of the Jackal," looked at it and put it back down.

Does that mean you've watched it before but you didn't like it or you had not watched it and the cover didn't interest you enough now to believe you'd like it?

I have some questions about the movie. Did the director want viewers sympathetic to the Jackal? ...or was that just me?

Heh, he's a cold-blooded killer but I admired his drive to finish the job! ;)

Universal HD, and especially HDNet Movies are pretty nice for catching some of these old movies. The HD transfers can really bring some new life to old movies. ...and even some 'not so old' movies. IE: The HD version of Slingblade puts the DVD to shame (visually). While there is undoubtably a difference in the formats, it's really eye-opening to compare a bad DVD to a good HD version.

HDNet Movies is all O.A.R. which is nice. Not sure about Universal HD.

And now I've totally changed the topic...

-Bball

Bball
02-07-2006, 03:59 AM
"The Life and Times of David Gayle"

Rousingly "OK" is how I would rate it.

-Bball

N8R
02-07-2006, 06:21 AM
40 Year Old Virgin

Hicks
02-07-2006, 10:51 AM
"The Life and Times of David Gayle"

Rousingly "OK" is how I would rate it.

-Bball

You mean The Life of David Gale? (2003)

I saw that when it came out. I would agree that it's very "meh".

cramerica
02-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Trapped in Paradise.

indytoad
02-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Flightplan

Probably would've enjoyed it more had I not known how it ended.

IndyToad
Living down to his reputation

N8R
02-11-2006, 04:18 AM
City Of God. Possibly the best movie ever made.

A recommendation to anyone that can find it for rental.

Skaut_Ech
02-11-2006, 12:11 PM
City Of God. Possibly the best movie ever made.

A recommendation to anyone that can find it for rental.

I think I've go the DVD somewhere. I need to look becuase I have heard nothing but huge raves about it. What did you think of it? How did it make you feel?

I just watched the original Lolita (http://dvdmg.com/lolitanew.shtml) this morning. What a weird movie. I liked it and despite it's classic status, didn't love it. Peter Sellars was great, but conversely, Sue Lyon looked like a young woman to me, not a gir even though she was 16 at the time of filming. She looked early twenties to me. I keep trying to factor in the times, and that they couldn't get away with too much, but I would have enjoyed it whole lot more if she really seemed young and if she would have come across as more seductive. Like the review I linked to, I just didn't see why anyone would be obsessed with her.

Harmonica
02-12-2006, 01:27 AM
City of God is hardly the best movie ever made.

Bang the Drum Slowly (1973). Early De Niro. Hard to go wrong there. But still, odd film. Worth checking out though.

indytoad
02-12-2006, 01:39 AM
And Now For Something Completely Different

Mt. Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. It's rather steep till it gets to the top but then it starts to slope away rather sharply...

I love that movie.

IndyToad
Turn the radio up

SycamoreKen
02-12-2006, 05:49 PM
We finally watched Van Helsing last night. It was o.k. How she died at the end after all of the other unbelievable shots she took was lame. Guess they had to wrap it up.

Kate Beckinsale made the movie worth watching though. Very attractive.

Stryder
02-12-2006, 06:53 PM
We finally watched Van Helsing last night. It was o.k. How she died at the end after all of the other unbelievable shots she took was lame. Guess they had to wrap it up.

Kate Beckinsale made the movie worth watching though. Very attractive.

If you haven't seen Underworld or the sequel, please go see it now. Beckinsale is hot in those two movies as well.

Dab
02-12-2006, 07:07 PM
Kicking and Screaming (http://imdb.com/title/tt0384642/), 2005, with Will Ferrell.

The only thing that puzzles me more than how this wretched excuse for a film got in my Blockbuster queue is how they got Robert Duvall to appear in it.

It makes Rodney Dangerfield's Ladybugs look a masterpiece.

Hicks
02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
40 Year Old Virgin.

I don't know. The first half I just wasn't into it, then I paused it and came back a half hour later, and really enjoyed the second half.

Jose Slaughter
02-13-2006, 08:46 AM
American Beauty

N8R
02-14-2006, 02:49 AM
I think I've go the DVD somewhere. I need to look becuase I have heard nothing but huge raves about it. What did you think of it? How did it make you feel?

It is by far the best movie ever made in the history of films being made. It is just a really good story told differently and the actors are all very good. PLus the shots they use and the style is unique and unlike anything I have seen. Probably because it is a foreign film, they arent corrupt with the stupid Hollywood mold of explosions, CGI graphics and all shot on green screen. The only effect that i noticed all three times were on set effects with the gun shots.

Plus the fact that it is based on a true story makes it just that much better. A good rental for everyone (Not recommended for kids or people who dont like violence).

Roy Munson
02-16-2006, 04:33 PM
Amateurs: Cream Pies 38

I was impressed with the cinematography.

Bball
02-16-2006, 05:55 PM
The Constant Gardener

Ugh...

-Bball

dannyboy
02-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Hoosiers (for the first time)

Very good movie, reminded me of Friday Night Lights, or I guess I should say FNL was like a football version of Hoosiers. What I got from these two movies is that basketball is to Indiana as football is to Texas.

Layer Cake

Well put together and pretty entertaining.

Skaut_Ech
02-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Layer Cake

Well put together and pretty entertaining.

I am DYING to watch it. I've had it for a couple of months now, but I want my wife to watch it with me and we just can't seem to make the time. I can't wait to watch it.

I just watched Sharky's Machine!! LOVE that movie. One of my all-time favorites. No, it's not a classic movie and it won't make a 100 best films ever made list, but it just has this great vibe, it's still cool, even today and it may have been the last movie Burt did when he could still convincingly play a bad azz.

The scene where he got his finger...well, just go rent it. I mean it everyone. Do it now. I know how to track down each and every one of you if you don't

Seriously, very cool movie. Matter of fact, I'd imagine Sharky and Layer Cake would make a nice double bill! :)

N8R
02-17-2006, 04:56 PM
Home Alone

SycamoreKen
02-19-2006, 06:35 PM
We just watched The Legend of Zoro. It was what it was: an entertaining action adventure flick. Predictable plot, but the acting was pretty good. I enjoyed it.

Dr Huxtable
02-19-2006, 06:53 PM
Rashomon. Excellent film, Kurosawa is amazing.

MagicRat
02-19-2006, 06:57 PM
The Curse of the Were-Rabbit

It was fun.

Hicks
02-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Curious George
Saw
Saw II

Good for kids
Better than I thought
Slightly enjoyed

Harmonica
02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Fellini's 8 1/2. I liked it, but my favorite Fellini film that I've seen so far is Nights of Cabiria.

The Godfather.

Los Angeles
02-19-2006, 10:41 PM
In Her Shoes

I felt like I was on my way to the dentist when my wife picked that at the store. Girls on the cover, dumb title, Cameron Diaz - it had it ALL. I knew I was in for a terrible ride.

And guess what? It was shockingly good. Not Oscar calibur great, but really good. And while it features women, and therefore can be considered a "chick flick", this one had teeth. But like Shop Girl, it was buried by its own marketing. Stupid studios don't know how to market a genre defying movie to save their lives.

I'd actually see it again.

Skaut_Ech
02-20-2006, 08:26 AM
OLDBOY!!

OLDBOY!!!

Holy, Shi*!! Unbelievable. Crying Game and No Way Out got nothing in the surprise department on this film. It's too bad the American viewing public is so xenophobic about foreign movies. We'll flock to see the latetst crap remake of a TV series like Dukes of Hazzard, but ignore truly brilliant stuff like this. Clever, moody and with more twists and creativity than the best action thrillers.

I've had this movie for months and finally decided to watch it before bed last niht. Phew. See it. SeeEEee it! Wow.

Gyron
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
"The Date Movie"

Typical movie like those of the Scary Movie series. Did have some really great laughs in it, but somethings were just wrong.....But over all not the worst movie Ive ever seen.

Oh and I watched "Tombstone" and "Young Guns" again this weekend. Love those movies.

And "Without a paddle". That movie pretty much defined suck.

8.9_seconds
02-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Saw II

Not really that scary, but I would actually say the plot is genius.

indytoad
02-20-2006, 01:57 PM
Animal Farm

Very faithful rendition of the book, actually, although they added a happier bit to the end. To symbolize the fall of the USSR, I imagine. Not bad for a made-for-TV movie, although the CG graphics were certainly showing their age. Plus it had Patrick Stewart in it. I'll watch anything with Patrick Stewart.

IndyToad
Trussed up

Harmonica
02-20-2006, 02:09 PM
OLDBOY!!

OLDBOY!!!

Holy, Shi*!! Unbelievable. Crying Game and No Way Out got nothing in the surprise department on this film. It's too bad the American viewing public is so xenophobic about foreign movies. We'll flock to see the latetst crap remake of a TV series like Dukes of Hazzard, but ignore truly brilliant stuff like this. Clever, moody and with more twists and creativity than the best action thrillers.

Well, guess what? They're remaking it for American audiences. :unimpress

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425320/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9b2xkYm 95fGZ0PTF8bXg9MjB8bG09NTAwfGNvPTF8aHRtbD0xfG5tPTE_ ;fc=2;ft=23;fm=1

Suaveness
02-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Saw Snatch, Naked Gun, and History of the World part I over the last 2 days. Not the best of Mel Brooks, but still damn funny

Skaut_Ech
02-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Well, guess what? They're remaking it for American audiences. :unimpress

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425320/?fr=c2l0ZT1kZnx0dD0xfGZiPXV8cG49MHxrdz0xfHE9b2xkYm 95fGZ0PTF8bXg9MjB8bG09NTAwfGNvPTF8aHRtbD0xfG5tPTE_ ;fc=2;ft=23;fm=1

Aww.....fuc*!

Chauncey
02-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Sometimes I find it fun to torture myself with crappy movies...Sunday (fittingly) morning I watched Saved! because TIVO thought I might like it (sometimes the suggestions just drive me crazy..but I can't bear to turn them off) and recorded it last week sometime.

Its hard to descibe exactly how bad of a movie it is, though, so I won't try..here's the IMDB description..that should give you enough...unless I just need to tell you that Mandy Moore is in it. Nevermind. Thats all I need to tell you, no summary needed.

btowncolt
02-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Sometimes I find it fun to torture myself with crappy movies...Sunday (fittingly) morning I watched Saved! because TIVO thought I might like it (sometimes the suggestions just drive me crazy..but I can't bear to turn them off) and recorded it last week sometime.

Its hard to descibe exactly how bad of a movie it is, though, so I won't try..here's the IMDB description..that should give you enough...unless I just need to tell you that Mandy Moore is in it. Nevermind. Thats all I need to tell you, no summary needed.

Ha! I watched that Sunday morning too.

I kind of feel like I'm insulting the word "terrible" by using it to describe that thing.

Peck
02-20-2006, 07:52 PM
Lord of War.

Um.... well.....

This one is hard for me to rate. I didn't love it yet I didn't hate it either.

I do feel as though I could never understand the character, which IMO is a bad thing when you are doing a film based solely on that one character.

I'd say this to anybody. If you have hbo or showtime or some other movie channel just wait & watch it for free on there. Don't waste a dime to rent it.

However it is not the worst movie I've ever seen either.

Chauncey
02-20-2006, 08:06 PM
Ha! I watched that Sunday morning too.

I kind of feel like I'm insulting the word "terrible" by using it to describe that thing.

Seriously.

Someone needs to get through to Mandy Moore that she needs a new agent..she seems pretty intelligent, always smiling..definitely pretty hot...yet she keeps taking these just God-awful (pun intended) movie roles. Maybe she just can't act..hell I dunno. Go back to lip-synching or something..that would be a better career choice than this crap I would think.

Roy Munson
02-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Jackie Brown.

There something about Pam Grier that makes me tingle. She's as sexy as they come without being slutty.

Chauncey
02-20-2006, 08:08 PM
and since I just found this thread and haven't been keeping up....someone else please tell me you've seen the movie Gummo.

N8R
02-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Jarhead

Raskolnikov
02-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Panic room.

Not bad. At first it's kinda boring, but once they're in the panic room, things start to become more interesting.

sweabs
02-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Shoah

Some very powerful stuff...

Pig Nash
02-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Saw Hotel Rwanda on Sunday. Harrowing stuff. Aslo, I liked Saved! Had some funny bits and a decent message.

dannyboy
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Ruby Bridges

Inspirational true story.

SycamoreKen
02-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Saw II

Not really that scary, but I would actually say the plot is genius.

We watched this tonight. I liked it better than the first one. Didn't see that ending coming at all, but some of the things leading to it, such as how they were all connected, I figured out early. I hope the third one is as good.

SoupIsGood
02-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Dark Water

Sucked

Pacersin6
02-27-2006, 02:22 AM
The Music Man

Liked it for the period in which it was made. The Family Guys spoof of it was pretty funny!!(Shpoopi) number that is!!

B

sweabs
02-27-2006, 02:24 AM
Collateral

Pretty cool.

Skaut_Ech
02-27-2006, 09:10 AM
If you like martial arts films, you HAVE to see Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ongbak/). He has the most unique moves I have ever seen. If this guys can get some press, he should be the next Bruce Lee, in terms of innovative fight style. Read some of the reviews I linked to the film title.

Roy Munson
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I watched a movie called Bully about some kids who get tired of putting up with a bully after a long time and decide to kill him. It was a suprisingly good movie, and supposedly a true story. Happened down in Florida.

The kids are a bunch of slackers who don't do much other than smoke weed and ***** all day. Another bonus in the movie is the substantial amount of bush shown.

Fireball Kid
02-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Dick Tracy

Based on the comics. Good movie.

Roy Munson
02-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Dick Tracy

Based on the comics. Good movie.

I saw Dick Tracy in a theatre when it came out and I consider that to be one of the biggest wastes of money and two hours of my life. Horrible movie, IMO.

indytoad
02-28-2006, 12:25 AM
My Date With Drew

Riding the documentary craze - there were about 50 copies at Blockbuster. Was more like a home movie, really, but it was still enjoyable. The best word to describe it would probably be adorable.

IndyToad
I smoke a cigar, not a candy cane

McClintic Sphere
02-28-2006, 08:06 AM
Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices A conduit for 18 billion $ in products produced by Chinese, Mexican and Indonesian sweat shops, Wal-Mart have also destroyed the uniqueness of many a small town life with their monolithic economy of scale. Plus, have achieved a deplorable environmental record and, unbeknowest to me, have been the host to an alarming amount of crime in their gargantuan parking lots, due to lack of security. Add in despicable labor relations, and you have many, many reasons to never darken the door of Wallly World.

Funny Ha Ha Delightfully low-budget slice of life experience of one girl's post collegiate mis-en-scene. If you're only adjusted for polished Hollywood fare, do not bother.

Skaut_Ech
02-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices A conduit for 18 billion $ in products produced by Chinese, Mexican and Indonesian sweat shops, Wal-Mart have also destroyed the uniqueness of many a small town life with their monolithic economy of scale. Plus, have achieved a deplorable environmental record and, unbeknowest to me, have been the host to an alarming amount of crime in their gargantuan parking lots, due to lack of security. Add in despicable labor relations, and you have many, many reasons to never darken the door of Wallly World.

Never seen it. Gonna have to. My parents, grandparents, aunt, etc, all LOVE Wal-mart. I've tried to explain to them, but for them "But it's so cheap and it's close." *sigh*

McClintic Sphere
02-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Never seen it. Gonna have to. My parents, grandparents, aunt, etc, all LOVE Wal-mart. I've tried to explain to them, but for them "But it's so cheap and it's close." *sigh*

At work recently, we had a regional mgr. come talk to us about the possibility of our jobs being shipped overseas. To give an example of the global economic reality, he asked how many people agreed with Wal-Mart's labor practices and only a handful raised their hands. Then he asked how many people shopped there and like about 85% of them raised their hands. Nothing like cutting your own throat.
To give hope though, the filmakers do show communities where they have successfully deterred the Borg, er, Wal-Mart, from infiltrating.

Roy Munson
02-28-2006, 11:56 AM

Funny Ha Ha Delightfully low-budget slice of life experience of one girl's post collegiate mis-en-scene. If you're only adjusted for polished Hollywood fare, do not bother.

Thanks for the tip, comrade.

McClintic Sphere
02-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the tip, comrade.

No prob, running dog.

Pacersin6
02-28-2006, 08:13 PM
The Constant Gardener

I thought it was very well done and the performances were pretty strong. It gets a little too preachy at times, but it's still very enjoyable.

The Ice Harvest

Wow, what the hell were they thinking? Not good. Not good at all

Dab
03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
The American Astronaut (http://imdb.com/title/tt0243759/), 2001.

Wow. I'm tempted to recommend dropping some acid before viewing, but it probably isn't really necessary.

Here's the brief plot outline from imdb:

Samuel Curtis, an interplanetary trader, sets forth through a rustic and remote solar system, unaware that his old friend Professor Hess is trying to kill him.

However, I feel this review at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?id=14461 is more descriptive.

The American Astronaut is Eraserhead as envisioned by peyote smoking extraterrestrials. It's the naughty little secret that NASA keeps hidden from the perceptive public, like Area 51, the Apollo Moon missions, and the secret of Tang's success. It's a celebration of imagination over imagery, a totally unique take on just about every filmmaking genre you can envision. Simultaneously style checking sci-fi, westerns, crime dramas, noirish mysteries, costume period pieces, political propaganda, the horror film and the musical – YES, the MUSICAL! - it is, perhaps, the single greatest vision slathered on celluloid by a brave individual since a certain Mr. Lynch expelled his pre-natal nightmares onto AFI purchased stock. This amazing bit of eccentricity as art bewilders as it delights, defying description as it references almost ever aspect of campy pop culture over the last 50 years. If you're locked in a Hollywood blockbuster mode, and can't appreciate something inventive and non-derivative, you will probably balk at this purposefully playful interstellar satire. But anyone with an open mind to the possibility of film will see it for what it is – a magnum opus of near epic proportions.
This is more than just some high concept long form music video variable. Sure, one could look at writer/director/star Cody McAbee with a jaded, jaundiced eye for wanting to fuse some incredibly vital visuals to his usual aural attributes. As a member of the notorious The Billy Nayer Show, McAbee makes music that is both experimental and expressive, harkening back to the blues stomp basis of rock and roll while injecting a stream of consciousness schizophrenia into his songs. The result is like listening to boogie-woogie for the brain damaged, as ideas and idiosyncrasies crash and coalesce into a sonic sludge of deranged delights. Like carving open an old juke joint player's skull and scraping out the more manic bits inside, McAbee fashions tunes that tantalize and trick the listener. Just when you think you know where they are going, they switch up and turn on you, usually in audibly ambitious ways – a lot like the film in which these haunting hits reside. Indeed, The American Astronaut is an excursion into the dadaist and the demented. It prepares you up for one kind of experience, only to reclaim and remaster the message into a different dramatic or comedic configuration.

indytoad
03-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Porco Rosso

Not at all what I expected - fantastic movie. Certainly one of Miyazaki's best. Also suprised to find out that Jean Reno did the voice of Marco in the French version. For the win, serious.

IndyToad
Don't come-a knocking

beaversnducks311
03-02-2006, 09:25 PM
I watched a movie called Bully about some kids who get tired of putting up with a bully after a long time and decide to kill him. It was a suprisingly good movie, and supposedly a true story. Happened down in Florida.

The kids are a bunch of slackers who don't do much other than smoke weed and ***** all day. Another bonus in the movie is the substantial amount of bush shown.

i saw this a couple of years ago.....worth watching, and it kept you interested...just not one of my favorites.

I watched "man who wasn't there" and "snatch"

Skaut_Ech
03-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Indytoad: I saw that was on cable about a week ago and stupidly didn't tape it. I've gotten really interested in Miyazaki's movies. I saw Spirited Away, which moved me in a strange way. I catually did research on it after I watched it because I knew it was making some points that were over my head. I fell a bit smarter after investing the time. A bizarre, odd, enjoyable movie. I've GOT to see Porco.

Roy Munson: I loved Bully. I don't understand how Larry Clark is so food at depicting that type of teen culture. I saw Kids, too, but didn't like it nearly as much as Bully, of which I had to buy a copy.

Pacersin6: I've been curious about Ice Harvest, but just didn't know if it was worth my time.

Stryder
03-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Indytoad: I saw that was on cable about a week ago and stupidly didn't tape it. I've gotten really interested in Miyazaki's movies. I saw Spirited Away, which moved me in a strange way. I catually did research on it after I watched it because I knew it was making some points that were over my head. I fell a bit smarter after investing the time. A bizarre, odd, enjoyable movie. I've GOT to see Porco.

Roy Munson: I loved Bully. I don't understand how Larry Clark is so food at depicting that type of teen culture. I saw Kids, too, but didn't like it nearly as much as Bully, of which I had to buy a copy.

Pacersin6: I've been curious about Ice Harvest, but just didn't know if it was worth my time.

You won't be disappointed by Porco Rosso. I taped it a couple of weeks ago on Turner Classic Movies.

I also loved Spirited Away.

McClintic Sphere
03-03-2006, 09:39 AM
I liked Spirited Away alot, but Princess Mononoke is the best Miyazaki, IMO.

MagicRat
03-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Bill Cosby, Himself

Still hilarious......

Kegboy
03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Bill Cosby, Himself

Still hilarious......

:nod:

Skaut_Ech
03-03-2006, 03:10 PM
I liked Spirited Away alot, but Princess Mononoke is the best Miyazaki, IMO.

Saw that, too. Didn't like it near as much as Spirited Away, though. (I own both of them.) I tell ya, as kind of a movie snob, it does me proud to know some of my fellow forumites can expand thier viewing beyond the latest Dukes of Hazzard remake or David Spade offering.

Mourning
03-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Someone on here saw "Syriana"? I want to see it sometime next week.

Regards,

grace
03-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Bill Cosby, Himself

Still hilarious......

I love it, but there is one thing that drives me absolutely nuts when I watch it. You would think that in this day of CGI they would fix Bill's crooked tie! :-o

McClintic Sphere
03-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Saw that, too. Didn't like it near as much as Spirited Away, though. (I own both of them.) I tell ya, as kind of a movie snob, it does me proud to know some of my fellow forumites can expand thier viewing beyond the latest Dukes of Hazzard remake or David Spade offering.

Other than the aforementioned I've seen the following Miyazaki: Kiki's Delivery Service, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaä, Future Boy along with the Series: Sherlock Hound and Panda, Go Panda! The amazing thing about his films are how much they can be enjoyed by both children and adults. I'm definitely going to have to try and check out Porco Rosso. I just love how he shades his villians with such humanity, never making them mere stereotypes. I also love how the spiritual and natural realms interact and take shape in our 'modern' world.
I thought Miyazaki got screenwriting credits on Dukes of Hazzard? :)

Skaut_Ech
03-03-2006, 06:10 PM
I thought Miyazaki got screenwriting credits on Dukes of Hazzard? :) Hello??? That would be Duece Bigalow: European Gigolo! Sheesh!

dannyboy
03-04-2006, 01:16 AM
Dave Chappelle's Block Party

Outstanding movie. Great musical performances.

N8R
03-04-2006, 02:31 AM
Scary Movie 3. I cant understand why Oscar was not something mentioned about this movie

SycamoreKen
03-04-2006, 06:49 PM
Just watched the last 30 minutes of Blue Chips. I can't believe that Shaq used to be that trim. Interesting list of players on the various teams. See the link below.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109305/fullcredits

Unclebuck
03-04-2006, 10:56 PM
Just saw "Good Night, and Good luck". Very, very good movie. No it isn't a thrill a minute type of movie, but extremely well done. Highly recommend it

George Foreman
03-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Dave Chappelle's Block Party

Outstanding movie. Great musical performances.

Is it worth $9.25?

indytoad
03-05-2006, 12:19 AM

Is there another Dukes of Hazzard movie? Awesome...

It's been too long since I've seen Mononoke, I need to watch it again. I always liked Nausicaa best though.

Saw Lord of War too. Dark.

IndyToad
That cunning cassonova

Mourning
03-05-2006, 08:36 AM
Saw the Dukes of Hazzard sometime ago and I really DID NOT like it.

Saw "Walk on Water" yesterday, an Israeli movie. I liked it. The end is too far-stretched for my own taste, but I liked the storyline and the totally different people meeting in this movie. There's a lot of english in the movie, so don't be put-off before you have seen it ;).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0352994/

http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=304308

Regards,

DisplacedKnick
03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Saw a couple last night.

"Walk the Line" is very good.

"Red Eye" wasn't bad. If we're about to enter a "terrorist on planes" genre, it beat the pants off "Flight Plan" which I didn't like at all - up to that movie I'd always been a Jodie Foster fan. It's taking me on the same path as I went with Demi Moore whose last decent movie was "Ghost."

dannyboy
03-05-2006, 07:55 PM
Is it worth $9.25?

If you're a fan of his and the featured musicians, then definitely. If not, its still a good documentary-style movie, and you can't help but laugh when the camera is on Dave.

Dr Huxtable
03-05-2006, 08:05 PM
"All the President's Men"

Excellent.

N8R
03-06-2006, 02:56 AM
Someday - Sugar Ray

Skaut_Ech
03-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Well, Peck, I just watched An Evening with Kevin Smith. Overall, I enjoyed it. That crap about Prince and Jon Peters was funny and not the least bit surprising.

Mourning
03-06-2006, 03:41 PM

Excellent.

Now that IS a good movie too!

RWB
03-07-2006, 12:28 PM

Excellent.

Was this on tv or the new double disc dvd? If dvd, how was the picture quality?

N8R
03-07-2006, 08:16 PM
The Goonies

Spicoli
03-07-2006, 10:51 PM
The Goonies

Yes! I love that movie!

How can you watch such a quality show like Goonies and yet you root for the Knicks? That doesn't make any sense. :D

03-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Mind Game.

An amazing piece of avant-garde animation.

N8R
03-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Yes! I love that movie!

How can you watch such a quality show like Goonies and yet you root for the Knicks? That doesn't make any sense. :D

When I started rooting for the knicks back in 94 when I was 9 they were quality. I dont jump ship just cause they have sucked the last 5 years. That isn't my style.

But yes the Goonies is an all time great movie. And Chunk's Truffle Shuffle is the best part.

Mourning
03-10-2006, 01:09 PM
I saw Dick Tracy in a theatre when it came out and I consider that to be one of the biggest wastes of money and two hours of my life. Horrible movie, IMO.

I saw it in theatres WAY back too, and though I wasn't nearly as critical then as I am now when it concerns movies, I really didn't like it back then already, so I would probably vomit seeying it now. Awfull in my opinion, good that we aren't all the same ;).

Regards,

sweabs
03-10-2006, 03:09 PM
The Saddest Music in the World

Ummm...it was really weird.

And crappy.

N8R
03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
American Beauty

Good movie. Some Nice boobs shown in it too.

SycamoreKen
03-11-2006, 01:45 AM
We watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 tonight for the first time. Interesting. Now we have to go rent Vol. 2 tomorrow to see how it ends. It was better than I thought it would be.

Mourning
03-11-2006, 12:13 PM
We watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 tonight for the first time. Interesting. Now we have to go rent Vol. 2 tomorrow to see how it ends. It was better than I thought it would be.

Volume I is VERY good in my opinion. Volume II is ok, but nothing special. More filling up the blanks in the story.

American Beauty is quite a good movie too btw!

Regards,

Jose Slaughter
03-13-2006, 12:24 AM
11:14

Pieces together 5 or 6 different story lines all centered around a single event.

Not too bad. The movie runs just under 90 minutes so they really didn't have the time to drag out any one segment too long.

I'm gonna check out 3 Iron later tonight.

I've really started to enjoy international cinema lately, especially those movies from the far east.

Skaut_Ech
03-13-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm gonna check out 3 Iron later tonight.

I've really started to enjoy international cinema lately, especially those movies from the far east.

:applaud: :happydanc

Doug
03-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Volume I is VERY good in my opinion. Volume II is ok, but nothing special.I was the opposite. I thought Vol I was pretty good, but Vol II was *really* good. The IMDB seems to agree with you though, 8.3 vs 8.2.

Uma Thurman. Drool....

Gyron
03-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Harry Potter and the goblet of fire.

Pretty good, but as they said, definitely the darkest of the series so far.

I have started watching Jarhead, but got called away to honey do's before I got 1/4 of the way through the movie. I like it so far. Will try to finish it this week.

Kegboy
03-13-2006, 02:38 PM
I was the opposite. I thought Vol I was pretty good, but Vol II was *really* good. The IMDB seems to agree with you though, 8.3 vs 8.2.

Uma Thurman. Drool....

I enjoyed 2 much more than 1. I think the cut really hurt things, left the movies too unbalanced. Maybe someday I'll watch them together and see what I think.

Mourning
03-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Just watched "Hostel" in the cinema and after reading the thread on that movie in this section of the forum I was QUITE dissappointed. Is this what some people were crying foul about? Cheeeze!

Regards,

Jose Slaughter
03-14-2006, 09:06 AM
3 Iron is a most unusual movie.

Here is the story line via Blockbuster

http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/DisplayMoreMovieProductDetails.action?channel=Movi es&subChannel=sub&movieID=150762&displayBoxArt=true#Cast

A battered woman finds her soul mate in a most unusual manner in this drama from Korean filmmaker Kim Ki-Duk. Tae-suk (Jae Hee Song) is a young drifter who appears to be homeless by inclination as much as necessity; he squats in the homes of strangers while they're away, carefully seeing to it that no damage is done to the property and sometimes performing small household chores as a display of gratitude. One day, Tae-suk sneaks into a house where a number of photos of a beautiful model adorn the walls. After eating, washing up, and doing some minor repairs, Tae-suk discovers he's being watched by the woman of the house, Sun-hwa (Lee Seung-yeon), and he soon recognizes her as the model in the photos. However, Tae-suk sees that Sun-hwa has been badly bruised, and suspects she's been the victim of domestic violence. When Tae-suk returns to the home later that evening, his suspicions are confirmed as he sees Sun-hwa being slapped around by her husband, Min-kyo (Gweon Hyeok-ho). Tae-suk impulsively bursts into the house, grabs a golf club, and attacks Min-kyo with it; moments later, Tae-suk and Sun-hwa ride away together on his scooter, and she silently joins him in his existence as a squatter, which slowly blossoms into a love affair. Bin-Jip (aka 3-Iron) received its North American premiere at the 2004 Toronto Film Festival. ~ Mark Deming, All Movie Guide

RWB
03-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Though it's been out for a long time, finally got around to seeing Grizzly Man.

Documentary about Tim Treadwell a common man (this guy is definitely not the Croc guy or Jeff Corwin) living among the bears of Alaska. Does that for 13 years before a bear finally eats him and his girlfriend.

May have some shock value for some, while I'll echo what some believe in the film that Mr. Treadwell basically got what he deserved. Too bad his lady friend had to suffer the same fate because of this man's stupidity.

In conclusion, if your looking for good family entertainment this is WAY WRONG. However, if your tired of the same ole same ole, this will probably hold your interest. Have already shown it to a few people and the usual comment is "It's like seeing a car accident, where there is nothing pleasant about it, but you can't look away".

Jose Slaughter
03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
:applaud: :happydanc

When the season is over I'm gonna have to devote a couple days to reading this thread from start to finish.

Skaut_Ech
03-14-2006, 11:35 AM
You really should. If it wasn't for Harmonica, I wouldn't have come across Oldboy, which I bought (rather than try to rent it) strictly on his reccomendation and now LOVE. I've used this thread quite a few times to check out some really good movies.

Jose Slaughter
03-17-2006, 12:12 PM
I get movies from Blockbuster online.

Right now I have Run Lola Run & White Dragon with Face on the way.

I just put Oldboy at the top of my list. I hope to have it by the middle of next week.

SycamoreKen
03-17-2006, 01:22 PM
I enjoyed 2 much more than 1. I think the cut really hurt things, left the movies too unbalanced. Maybe someday I'll watch them together and see what I think.

We watched 2 last Saturday. Really enjoyed it. As it wraped up, we realized that watching Vol. 1 on Encore that something was missing from Vol. 1. We never saw her take out the Vivica A. Fox character. Did this happen in Vol. ! and do we need to see it again to get the whole story?

Natston
03-17-2006, 02:54 PM
We watched 2 last Saturday. Really enjoyed it. As it wraped up, we realized that watching Vol. 1 on Encore that something was missing from Vol. 1. We never saw her take out the Vivica A. Fox character. Did this happen in Vol. ! and do we need to see it again to get the whole story?

Fox was the first she killed in Vol. 1, I believe (it's been 2 years since I saw the first).

Skaut_Ech
03-17-2006, 04:10 PM
I get movies from Blockbuster online.

Right now I have Run Lola Run & White Dragon with Face on the way.

I just put Oldboy at the top of my list. I hope to have it by the middle of next week.

Lola is the kind of clever movie that would never get made here. I'm glad you reminded me of it. I just added it to my wish list on Amazon.

Oldboy is a bit slow at first, imho, but the payoff is well worth it.

Face??

Ken, I liked part II better than part one and overall, despite the nitpicking by some on the character development (which I agree with), a great movie.

Jose Slaughter
03-17-2006, 04:30 PM
I've seen Run Lola Run 2 other times but its just so damn cool I had to catch it again. I wouldn't mind owning it one of these day.

This is from the Blockbuster web site, about the movie, Face

http://www.blockbuster.com/catalog/DisplayMoreMovieProductDetails.action?movieID=1519 63&channel=Movies&subChannel=sub#Cast

Junji Sakamoto spins this tale of a socially inept yet indomitable woman searching for freedom and self-respect. Set in Kobe at the beginning of 1995, the film introduces Masako (Naomi Fujiyama), a withdrawn, middle-aged woman living above her mother's dry cleaning shop. She rarely leaves the house and is often tormented by her pretty younger sister. After their mother suddenly dies, the sisters' sibling rivalry takes a rather nasty turn. Immediately after the funeral, Masako strangles her sister in an explosion of rage and humiliation. Just as she stumbles into life on the run, the Kobe earthquake strikes. Terrified that the disaster is some divine retribution for her crime, she flees willy-nilly to Osaka, where, after losing her virginity to a rape, she finds shelter and eventually employment at a "love hotel." When the owner of that establishment hangs himself to escape a mountain of bad debt, Masako flees to Beppu on the southern island of Kyushu. There she falls in love with a down-and-out salesman and finds camaraderie with a world-weary bar owner. In spite of the constant air of violence and the occasional rape, Masako blossoms in her new surroundings until her past -- and the police -- start to catch up with her. This film was screened at the 2000 Toronto Film Festival. ~ Jonathan Crow, All Movie Guide

I'll watch it late tonight after the game & let ya know what I think.

cramerica
03-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Went and saw V for Vendetta last night. Good movie. I didn't really know what to expect going in but I enjoyed it. It's got some hidden themes to it, and a little bit of a Phantom of the Opera feel, plus it talks alot about corrupt government.

And Natalie Portman looks good even with a shaved head.

DrBadd01
03-18-2006, 02:12 PM
V for Vendetta. I liked it a lot. The movie was written by the guys who wrote and directed the Matrix Trilogy so going in I expected to it to have a lot of philosophical concepts hidden in it. I wasn't wrong. And Cramerica is right Natalie Portman does look good even with a shaved head.

Aw Heck
03-18-2006, 07:22 PM
V for Vendetta. I like it a lot. The movie was written by the guys who wrote and directed the Matrix Trilogy so going in I expected to it to have a lot of philosophical concept hidden in it. I wasn't wrong. And Cramerica is right Natalie Portman does look good even with a shaved head.

Actually, The Wachowskis just wrote the the screenplay. They adapted it from the 1980s comic series by Alan Moore, who also created the The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, From Hell, and the Watchmen (which I'm sure will be made into a movie eventually), among others.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0930289528/102-0178900-7035348?v=glance&n=283155

I enjoyed the movie too. I thought it was kinda weird in the beginning but it really finished strong. I'm definitely going to buy the DVD when it comes out.

Shade
03-18-2006, 08:45 PM
I though "V" was okay. I'm a bit baffled why DC did a movie based on a 10-issue comic that ended 17 years ago, though. :shrug:

Aw Heck
03-18-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm a bit baffled why DC did a movie based on a 10-issue comic that ended 17 years ago, though. :shrug:

Really? I thought the story's relevance to today was pretty clear. Terrorism, government using surveillance and exercising more control over its populace, how the media can be used to create a climate of fear, etc.

Not to mention the fact that comic book adaptations are pretty hot items in Hollywood today.

SycamoreKen
03-18-2006, 11:58 PM
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Pretty good. I'm 2 books farther in the series, so i had to get straight what happened when going in. Another good adaptation. The books get darker as they go along, with the last really kiking it in. They beter make the next 2 at the same time, ala LOTR or the kids are going to be 30 playing 17.

grace
03-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Failure To Launch.

Terry Bradshaw is so dreamie. :love:

Matthew McConaughey is O.K. too.

Arcadian
03-19-2006, 05:26 AM
I though "V" was okay. I'm a bit baffled why DC did a movie based on a 10-issue comic that ended 17 years ago, though. :shrug:

"V is for Vendetta" is a comic classic. The movie was better than I though it would be. I was expecting another "League of Extrodinary Gentlemen".

Hicks
03-19-2006, 10:42 AM
V for Vendetta.

Pretty entertaining, but they need to iron out the details so it's not so fuzzy, even though the overall point was clear.

I also wish I liked V (the character) more, but by the middle of the movie I didn't too much for reasons those who've seen it can guess.

Jose Slaughter
03-21-2006, 01:28 AM
Well I came down with a very bad cold last Friday & wasn't able to catch up on my movies until lastnight.

I just watched Run Lola Run again, this will be the 3rd time I've seen this movie. Here's a link to Amazon.com that will tell you all you need to know about this amazing film. If you're into foreign cinema I'm sure you've already seen this movie. If you're not, this is a great film to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000065R0C/qid=1142917416/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-3422170-7321745?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

On the other hand............ White Dragon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BNXD6Y/qid=1142917925/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-3422170-7321745?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

I'll tell ya right up front I only made thru about half the movie. When my mind starts thinking of things I'd rather be doing than watching a film, it's time to shut it off.

I was hoping for a lot more from White Dragon. As I've mentioned in a previous post I'm really starting to search out films from the Far East. I really liked House of Flying Daggers a great deal. The story line, characters, action & special effects in that movie are what I'm looking for in a motion picture. White Dragon didn't have any of these. On top of that it attempted to be humorous. Kind of like Kung Phooey or Kung Fu Hustle but where the jokes & sight gags worked in those two films, they failed in Dragon.

For those interested in House of Flying Daggers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Q6VXC/qid=1142918891/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-3422170-7321745?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

McClintic Sphere
03-21-2006, 07:52 AM
I really liked House of Flying Daggers a great deal. The story line, characters, action & special effects in that movie are what I'm looking for in a motion picture.

If you have never seen the movie Hero (Ying Xiong), you would probably like it a lot. Excellent choreography on the fight scenes, terrific scenery, fascinating characters and the best use of color schemes that I have ever seen in a film. Not to mention featuring the very easy on the eyes Ziyi Zhang.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0299977/

Unclebuck
03-24-2006, 07:05 PM
"Inside Man" with Denzel Washington.

Very, very good movie. Highly recommend it.

Mourning
03-24-2006, 08:06 PM

Planning on seeying it next week. Expecting nothing really special, just a nice action-thriller. Washington has been dissapointing IMO the last few years, but this seemed to be looking nice.

Regards,

McClintic Sphere
03-24-2006, 08:35 PM

Planning on seeying it next week. Expecting nothing really special, just a nice action-thriller. Washington has been dissapointing IMO the last few years, but this seemed to be looking nice.

This one does look intriguing. From what I have read it is more than just an action thriller. Wonder if Reggie will be going to see this?

Unclebuck
03-24-2006, 11:08 PM
"Inside Man" is one of those movies that holds your attention from beginning to end. Yes there are some holes in the plot and afterward you can ruin it if you question everything. But each scene holds your attention and that is rare. I did not want the movie to end.

Although the plot was very different for some reason I compare this movie with "Ransom". Similar movie going experience. I had a smile on my face for much of the movie, not because it was funny (although parts were), but just because it was clever and it kept you guessing.

I suppose some will complain about the ending, and some will question the plot a little, but it was a fun movie.

Not sure I'd call it an action movie though, there wasn't a ton of action. Not one gun battle, not one car chase, not one fight scene. It was fast paced though, once again I think of "Ranson"

Hicks
03-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Wedding Crashers. It was decent.

A History of Violence. I like this one, but I wish there were another couple acts to expand on where he goes from here.

bulletproof
03-25-2006, 12:34 PM
A History of Violence intrigues me, but for every good review I read, there's a bad one. I've never been a big Cronenberg fan, so I don't feel in a rush to see it.

Bukowski: Born Into This. Pretty good documentary about LA's late poet laureate of the gutter.

Unclebuck
03-25-2006, 01:06 PM
"History of Violence" is good, but not great. Some very good performances though.

Worth seeing on DVD without question. You might even like it BP

Hicks
03-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Note to the director of "Violence", Indiana sheriffs don't wear cowboy hats. This isn't Texas.

Kegboy
03-26-2006, 11:59 AM
V for Vendetta

Well worth it. I was very impressed with Rea's performance. The scenes he has with his partner with the jammer are just spectacular. I'd argue the movie is just as much about his character's journey of discovery as Portman's.

That said, while it was well done and suited it's purpose, the ideas put forth don't come close to comparing to the multi-layered existential debates in The Matrix movies. Plus, I find the notions that this is an indictment on today's society laughably simplistic. If you want a deeper exploration on the symbiotic relationship between totalitarian governments and the paranoia of the populace, watch Babylon 5.

N8R
03-27-2006, 09:28 PM
The March Of The Penguins

It was alright. Not the best or worst I have seen

indytoad
03-27-2006, 11:32 PM
Run Lola Run

It's Groundhog Day. With techno.

IndyToad
It's time I join the ranks of great men with beards

Aw Heck
03-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Run Lola Run
It's time I join the ranks of great men with beards
I take it you're watching Family Guy right now, too?

:laugh:

Jose Slaughter
03-28-2006, 12:53 AM
I finally got around to watching Face.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AAF25S/qid=1143520655/sr=1-14/ref=sr_1_14/102-0878295-6670518?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130

Plot Synopsis: Hyun-min (Shin Hyun-jun) works for the police, reconstructing faces by examining and interpreting their skulls. His daughter undergoes a heart transplant, and as her condition deteriorates, he loses his interest in his job. Hyun-min suspects that his daughters illness after the operation is caused by the heart, although her doctor, Dr. Yoon, tell him that his daughter is experiencing only minor complications. Distraught, Hyun-min quits his job to care for his duaghter full time. Meanwhile, the police are dealing with a series of bizarre murder cases, where the victim has had all their flesh dissolved away with acid, leaving only the bones behind. Sun-young (Song Yoon-ah) brings the skull of the fourth victim to Hyun-min, hoping that he'll be able to reconstruct the face. With the skull in their house, his daughter begins to experience visions of a distraught woman in a white robe. Hyun-min reconstructs the face of the victim, and it soon transpires that they all suffered from a (fictitious) affliction known as 'beta-allergy'. Tests reveal that Hyun-min's daughter has the condition, meaning that she has received the heart of someone who did. Romance blossoms between Hynu-min and Sun-young, and as they investigate, they uncover an organ transplant conspiracy - the murder victims were killed for their body parts, and it becomes apparent that Dr. Yoon knows more than he's letting on.

There are far worse movies out there but this really didn't have anything to raise it above the average Asian horror movie. Interesting story line but the characters are never fully developed so you never really bond with them. I hope that makes sense.

I'd give it about 2.5 outta 5 stars.

Gyron
03-28-2006, 10:00 AM
Ice Age.

On tv, and of course Ive seen it a dozen times, but that damn squirell still makes me laugh.

Unclebuck
03-29-2006, 10:45 PM
"Capote". Not very good.

"World's Fastest Indian" I really enjoyed it a lot

Shade
03-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Doom.

Very "meh."

beaversnducks311
03-30-2006, 01:02 AM
Syriana...very good film.....i'll need to watch it a couple more times before i completely understand it, it moves pretty fast IMO.

Matt Damon and George Clooney did very good jobs, and i don't normally like either of them. Chris Cooper is always a treat. Probably my favorite character was Amanda Peet. She did a fantastic job.

Raskolnikov
03-30-2006, 03:59 AM
Four brothers.

I know it's just a movie, but I felt it lacked credibility.

And a more ingenious plot.

bulletproof
03-30-2006, 09:35 AM
"Capote". Not very good.

I thought it was the best of the best pictures nominees. Certainly better than that written-while-sipping-merlot-in-my-Hollywood-Hills-home drivel than won.

"Inside Man." I thought it was okay.

"Tsotsi." Best foreign picture winner this year. Must have been a weak year for foreign pictures.

McClintic Sphere
03-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I thought Capote was terrific.

Dig! The story of two bands: the Dandy Warhols and The Brian Jonestown Massacre. Rock doc detailing the friendship between the two bands, their meltdowns, performances, eccentricities and efforts to balance artistic integrity with economic reality. Really funny in parts, especially the BJM onstage rumbles within the band and with audience members. Interesting in a sort of heroin-fueled, self-important, drama queen way. Lots of this edited from the band's own video footage.

Arcadian
03-31-2006, 05:04 PM
History of Violence. It was OK. I didn't like the editing/pacing. I know it was done on purpose but it botherd me because it was too noticable.

Natston
04-01-2006, 06:03 AM
The Truman Show

I still love how they tried to fix all the mishaps...

Mourning
04-01-2006, 07:47 AM
Syriana...very good film.....i'll need to watch it a couple more times before i completely understand it, it moves pretty fast IMO.

Matt Damon and George Clooney did very good jobs, and i don't normally like either of them. Chris Cooper is always a treat. Probably my favorite character was Amanda Peet. She did a fantastic job.

Yup! I really liked that movie! Good plot and build up. Very obvious it was from the same director as "Traffic" (which I also liked a lot). I'm not a Damon fan either, but he did a good job in this movie.

Regards,

Hicks
04-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Fantastic Four.

Very average; whenever the movie needed to fell really big, it felt like it was a made for TV movie.