PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Stryder
09-30-2005, 09:55 PM
Corpse Bride...

I found it to be quite entertaining and good. It's not in the same class as Nightmare Before Christmas. I LOVED Nightmare (IMO, the best ever done in stop motion).

Bball
10-01-2005, 02:45 AM
Friday Night Lights

HATED the soundtrack. Seemed too 'in your face' and inappropriate and unemotional. Didn't give the movie the feel of 1988 either (the date it was set in) but FWIW I doubt I would've like Poison for the soundtrack either ;)

I gather that the ending was changed somewhat from reality -SPOILER AHEAD

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

This could be a spoiler right here:

S P O I L E R

They didn't really reach the championship game in real life nor was it so high scoring. And honestly, seeing a lower scored game would've made seeing the underdogs still in it and clawing for a win a little more realistic. When I see the bigger, badder, better team race off to a big lead I don't expect to see the underdog make it back up the mountain (especially when that team shows you no respect and goes for the knockout blow from moment one... on both sides of the ball.. and are getting it done).

NO MORE SPOILER

I'd be curious to know if the real game ended as dramatic (and emotional) as the movie version.

FWIW... I like "Rudy" much more. And Hoosiers is still the #1 sports movie IMHO.

-Bball

Unclebuck
10-01-2005, 10:46 PM
I saw "A History of Violence". Pretty good movie. Interesting, has some depth to it, and William Hurt is fantastic in a very small part.

DrBadd01
10-01-2005, 10:48 PM
FeverPitch (American version) not as good as the English Version.

Suaveness
10-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Spiderman 2

Kraft
10-02-2005, 02:58 AM
Saw
Dawn of the Dead, Romero version
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Hicks
10-02-2005, 10:22 AM
Serenity x2

pacercoltfan
10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Mad Max beyond Thunderdome. Strange movie. Really hard to follow.

DrBadd01
10-04-2005, 06:08 PM
Pulp Fiction

Harmonica
10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Pulp Fiction
For the first time?

SoupIsGood
10-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Awakenings. It was interesting.

I haven't seen Pulp Fiction yet.

Natston
10-04-2005, 11:11 PM
Brother Sun, Sister Moon

Bball
10-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Hostage
or was it Die Hard III?

Hard to differentiate the basic plot.

Lots of action if you are into that sort of thing. Not really all that believable of a storyline but then it's a Bruce Willis action flick so what'd I expect?

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Spoiler to appear below

Spoiler is here!
I was absolutely fine with the storyline (over the top as it was) even when Willis' movie family was taken hostage and the kidnappers gave Willis his 'role' via their demands.

But then later, once Willis had pretty much blown it and lost command (which the kidnappers had ordered Willis to somehow reassume command in the first place as their initial demand of him) the 'bad guys' come in as FBI agents complete with assault vehicle, weapons, etc. and take over the operation and take Willis with them. We never know for certain if they are fake FBI and actually elaborate criminals or 'bad' FBI/Government. But that doesn't matter. If they had the ability to come in as FBI and run the operation themselves then what did they need Bruce Willis for? Why kidnap his family? That actually complicated things and made for more loose ends.

And if you were going to buy into these guys as an elaborate and obviously part of a well connected, smart, and organized network then you had to wonder "WTF" for them to be so dumb not to go to plan "B" in the first place.

At least I did...

-Bball

indytoad
10-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Finally saw Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night. All my friends went to the theater without me and I usually don't go to the movies unless I have some kind of compatriot motivation.

As a fan of the books, I really enjoyed the movie. Althought it deviated in a couple places, and changed a couple characters a bit, I thought it was all for the best. The way they did the Guide was absolutely perfect. Loved John Malcovich too - he always plays the strangest characters - it's great.

IndyToad
Works great on a laptop

DrBadd01
10-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Fight Club

Man, that show has a great ending

and . . .

The Last Temptation of Christ

Though parts of it ( if not all of it) were fictional I have to say that overall Scorsesse did a excellent job with the show. I really liked the relationship between Jesus and Brutus. It was partly because it was very different from what you would expect, and William Dafoe, and Harvey Keitel just rock in pretty much whatever they do.

Harmonica
10-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Fight Club

Man, that show has a great ending

Strange. I thought the movie (and book) started out strong and took a wrong turn around the midway point. The movie closely followed the book and by the time they both ended, I had pretty much lost interest.

The Last Temptation of Christ

Though parts of it ( if not all of it) were fictional I have to say that overall Scorsesse did a excellent job with the show. I really liked the relationship between Jesus and Brutus. It was partly because it was very different from what you would expect, and William Dafoe, and Harvey Keitel just rock in pretty much whatever they do.

The musical score by Peter Gabriel is sublime.

Pig Nash
10-09-2005, 02:07 AM
Serenity x2

:stupid:

Harmonica
10-09-2005, 02:17 AM
:stupid:
Are you saying that's the appropriate emoticon to use regarding that movie. I think you are. ;)

Pig Nash
10-09-2005, 02:28 AM
Are you saying that's the appropriate emoticon to use regarding that movie. I think you are. ;)

No, I just think that the "I agree" emoticon is boring and I have also been to the movie twice. Although, I think he's seen it thrice now.

RWB
10-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Marci X.....It's so good it gets :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: Pauly Shores.....

Hicks
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM
Serenity, III

Battlestar Galactica Miniseries (basically a movie when you watch it in one sitting)

Suaveness
10-10-2005, 12:24 PM
Castaway...it's amazing how a movie can be so good with only 1 actor most of the time.

Kat
10-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Dark City (bad)

Resident Evil: Apocalypse (very bad)

Serenity (GO SEE IT!)

beaversnducks311
10-10-2005, 03:25 PM
"The Man who Wasn't There"

---with billy bob thornton, frances mcdormand, james gandolfini

shot in black and white.....i highly recommend this if you enjoy film noir...

The Toxic Avenger
10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
"The Man who Wasn't There"

---with billy bob thornton, frances mcdormand, james gandolfini

shot in black and white.....i highly recommend this if you enjoy film noir...

Hey... I'M from Crawfordsville too!!! :eyebrow:

:welcome:

Glad to have you here.

DrBadd01
10-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Mallrats.

Harmonica
10-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Capote. "And the Academy Award goes to...Philip Seymour Hoffman for 'Capote'."

Natston
10-12-2005, 04:01 AM
The Sandlot

RWB
10-12-2005, 09:01 AM

Hoffman was depressingly great in Love Liza.

Unclebuck
10-12-2005, 11:57 AM

He is consistatnly one of the best actors

Harmonica
10-12-2005, 01:01 PM
He is consistatnly one of the best actors

Yes, agreed, but this was the role he was born to play. Hoffman has the uncanny ability to play Capote at his best and worst in the very same moments. In fact, I can't think of a recent performance that so expertly conveys distinct emotions and motives, seemingly contradictory, and yet simultaneously at work within a single person.

Stryder
10-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Finally watched the Aviator last night.

So/so...

I liked it, but it had too many innaccuracies about Howard Hughes, his life, and the world around them...

Hicks
10-12-2005, 08:03 PM
Serenity (IV)

LouisvilleLip
10-12-2005, 08:23 PM
A History of Violence, nothing original here but still managed be a solid movie.

GO!!!!!
10-13-2005, 01:32 AM
I'm gonna watch the Devils Rejects tommorow night.. supposed to be Ok Dokie...

when's DIE Hard 4 Comming out.. or am I mistaken in the belief that it is.. or was it... Mission Impossable III...

eather way Action Galore....

Stryder
10-13-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm gonna watch the Devils Rejects tommorow night.. supposed to be Ok Dokie...

when's DIE Hard 4 Comming out.. or am I mistaken in the belief that it is.. or was it... Mission Impossable III...

eather way Action Galore....

MI 3 - May 5, 2006

DH 4 - 2006, I don't even think filming has begun for this one...

Bball
10-13-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm ready to start Disc 3 of "From Earth to the Moon"... I finished Disc 2 last night.

-Bball

DrBadd01
10-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Serenity.

It wasn't the best thing in the world, but it wasn't as bad as I was saying it was. I really like Adam Baldwin, and Jewel Staite's character. :35stars: out of :5stars:

Skaut_Ech
10-14-2005, 10:02 AM
Dark City (bad)

You have got to be Effing kidding me!! I know to each his own, but I thought it was pretty creative, atmospheric without being self conscious.....hell, I thought it was something different from the standard fare, well made and a pretty entertaining movie.

"Bad?" wow.

Kat
10-14-2005, 10:18 AM
You have got to be Effing kidding me!! I know to each his own, but I thought it was pretty creative, atmospheric without being self conscious.....hell, I thought it was something different from the standard fare, well made and a pretty entertaining movie.

"Bad?" wow.

Nope, not kidding. I know this movie has very loyal fans (which is why we rented it in the first place), but both obnoxiousmodesty and I were disappointed in it. Here's just a few reasons why:

The opening segment gives away too much plot.
Some of the acting is really bad (especially Kiefer Sutherland).
Large segments of the plot are revealed in boring exposition. ("Here's what's going on." *talks for next 2 minutes*)
The final fight sequence was hokey and went on too long.

It had a really good idea at heart, I think, but it was poorly executed. It was pretty, though. I'll give you that.

Skaut_Ech
10-14-2005, 10:29 AM
It was pretty, though. I'll give you that.

LOL, well at least it has that going for it.

Harmonica
10-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Good Night and Good Luck. George Clooney-directed picture about Edward R. Murrow and CBS taking on McCarthy in the 50s. Considering Clooney's political leanings, I'm sure he meant this as an allegory, but it's a little thin on story (although beautifully acted and photographed). Clooney is turning out to be quite a director.

DrBadd01
10-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Layer Cake (VI)

dannyboy
10-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Flightplan

The guy playing the flight marshall is a terrible actor. Almost on the Colin Farrell/Keanu Reeves level.

Hicks
10-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Serenity (V)

Unclebuck
10-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Serenity (V)

That's enough now

DrBadd01
10-16-2005, 06:30 PM
The Big Lebowski.

Jose Slaughter
10-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Primer

I enjoyed the film but the lasy third was very confusing.

DrBadd01
10-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Big Trouble.

Ragnar
10-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Not enough people saw Big Trouble. Dave Barry did a great job for his first crime novel but it did not translate as well into film. I doubt we will be seeing his second book turned into a movie because the first one just did not fare well.

pollardfreek
10-17-2005, 09:33 PM
On the Waterfront

DrBadd01
10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
Not enough people saw Big Trouble. Dave Barry did a great job for his first crime novel but it did not translate as well into film. I doubt we will be seeing his second book turned into a movie because the first one just did not fare well.

I say it when it first came out. I thought that it was okay. However, I think the fact they had to push back its release a couple of months due to 9/11 hurt its stock. I understand why they did it, but it certainly didn't help it.

The Toxic Avenger
10-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Flightplan

The guy playing the flight marshall is a terrible actor. Almost on the Colin Farrell/Keanu Reeves level.
Is that Sean Bean...? Borimir from LOTR, the Administrator from The Island?

Oh, right.... "Evolution"

DrBadd01
10-18-2005, 05:42 PM
Is that Sean Bean...? Borimir from LOTR, the Administrator from The Island?

Oh, right.... "Evolution"

Nah, Sean Bean was the Pilot. the Air Marshall was Peter Sarsgaard.

The Toxic Avenger
10-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Very well then Dr. Badd.

I also saw Domino over the weekend if anyone is interested... A lot better than I thought it would be. Went in the theatre hoping to god that they cut out the voice over where she says "My name is Domino Harvey, I'm a bounty hunter" And came out impressed.

But they left the VO in... :(

Suaveness
10-18-2005, 07:38 PM
Bought Batman Begins today! And cheap, too...

Bball
10-19-2005, 02:14 AM
Batman Begins.

I had not watched it when it was released and when I saw it was coming out Tuesday I put it in my Netflix Que and worked it out so that it would ship Monday so I could get it today (Tues).

It was enjoyable.

Maybe I should've caught it in the theatre to begin with but I figured it wouldn't live up to the hype.

-Bball

Suaveness
10-19-2005, 01:20 PM
Oh it definitely did. IMO the best Batman movie. I can't wait to watch it Friday!

Bball
10-20-2005, 04:29 AM
I'm 2/3rds of the way thru Disc 3 "From Earth to the Moon" (3 episodes per disc so 1 more episode left on disc 3 for me to watch before starting disc 4).

This is a very well made series IMHO. Anyone interested in that time period or the space program would find it enjoyable I would think.

Does Tom Hanks hit a homerun in everything he's involved with?

-BBall

Harmonica
10-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Does Tom Hanks hit a homerun in everything he's involved with?
Depends if you're judging the movie itself or its financial success. Forrest Gump, as a movie and what it says, is tripe, but it was a boxoffice juggernaut.

Bball
10-20-2005, 08:28 PM
Depends if you're judging the movie itself or its financial success. Forrest Gump, as a movie and what it says, is tripe, but it was a boxoffice juggernaut.

You didn't like Gump!. Good God man, what's wrong with you?

I didn't like it either...

-Bball

brichard
10-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Million Dollar Baby.

I try to watch movies when I'm on the treadmill and just finished this one today. What a great movie and Eastwood really is a wonderful director.

I just started watching LA Confidential today. I didn't realize Russell Crowe was in that movie.

Natston
10-20-2005, 11:52 PM
Batman Begins

Dogma

Kegboy
10-20-2005, 11:53 PM
I didn't like it either...

-Bball

Are we gonna take bets on when Rat's "Bender as Gump sitting on the park bench" photoshop will be posted?

I'll put 5 :cookie: on 10:43AM.

Hicks
10-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I love Forrest Gump. Sadly, Harmonica has no taste.

[/Dry]

;)

MagicRat
10-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Are we gonna take bets on when Rat's "Bender as Gump sitting on the park bench" photoshop will be posted?

I'll put 5 :cookie: on 10:43AM.

You owe somebody 5 cookies.

Unless it can be done in Excel, it won't get done between 8-5, M-F......

Stryder
10-22-2005, 12:09 AM
High Tension

The Hills Have Eyes

The Last House on the Left

Suaveness
10-22-2005, 02:23 PM
Watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yesterday (the new one). Absolutely loved it. The songs were hilarious, and it was just much better.

LouisvilleLip
10-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Green Street Hooligans

DrBadd01
10-22-2005, 09:52 PM
2001: A Space Odyssey

Lady Marmalade
10-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Elf

Stryder
10-22-2005, 10:09 PM
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)

The Body Snatcher (1966)

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1968)

Mark of the Vampire (1935)

Zombies on Broadway (1945)

________

I love Turner Classic Movies at this time of the year!

Dr Huxtable
10-22-2005, 10:37 PM
Roman Holiday.

Audrey Hepburn.. *sigh* She's so amazingly beautiful in that movie.

Ultimate Frisbee
10-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Crash...

Actually a really good movie!

Kegboy
10-23-2005, 06:20 AM
You owe somebody 5 cookies.

Unless it can be done in Excel, it won't get done between 8-5, M-F......

:disappoin Last time I count on you for anything. :(

First come, first serve. :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie: :cookie:

Ragnar
10-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Roman Holiday.

Audrey Hepburn.. *sigh* She's so amazingly beautiful in that movie.

Thank God I am not the only one who thinks that.:blush:

I am guessing you have also seen Charade, Sabrina et al.

Harmonica
10-23-2005, 11:43 AM
I haven't seen a movie in awhile, but I have bought a bunch of DVDs recently (to add to the 30 or more in my collection that I have yet to watch :rolleyes:): Naked, The Man Who Fell To Earth, La Guerre Est Finie, The Mission, Baraka, Story of a Prostitute, Laura, Sunrise and The Phantom of Liberty. I need help.

Stryder
10-23-2005, 11:46 AM
Thank God I am not the only one who thinks that.:blush:

I am guessing you have also seen Charade, Sabrina et al.

I'm also an Audrey admirer...she's a classic beauty.

I could watch Breakfast at Tiffany's a few times each day...

Harmonica
10-23-2005, 11:56 AM
I love Forrest Gump. Sadly, Harmonica has no taste.

[/Dry]

;)

It's the truth. Taste is such a subjective thing. This review pretty much captured my feelings about Gump, especially the "romanticizing stupidity" and the idea of "it's better to coast through life without an education and the power of reason." But again, that may be just me, this jerk and few other admitted misanthropes I know. ;)

Take your pick, my friends: romanticizing stupidity, demonizing the counterculture, trivializing history, or boring the hell out of more discriminating audiences. America, Oscar, and just about everybody, it seems, were dead wrong about this affront to good taste, cinematic nobility, common sense, and the simple process of being entertained. Tom Hanks, angling for a Nobel Peace Prize or something, has never been worse and will not be removed from my **** list as a result. Outside of the fact that there is no reason whatsoever to care about someone so blissfully retarded and narcissistic (“Why don’t you love me,” he asks, as if one had to explain that it was sick and twisted to date a man with severe brain damage), I hate this film with a white-hot intensity because it endorses -- not implicitly, mind you, but with big capital letters -- the reactionary idea that ‘tis better to coast through life without an education, the power of reason, or a social conscience, lest you get AIDS and die like the atheistic, egghead dog that you are.

Amen. Pulp Fiction and Travolta were robbed that year. Robbed, I tell ya!

Gyron
10-24-2005, 12:51 PM
The wedding date.

Not the worst chick flick Ive ever seen. Had a few good laughs in it. And besides, Debra Messing was in it, she's nice to look at.

heywoode
10-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Amen. Pulp Fiction and Travolta were robbed that year. Robbed, I tell ya!

Pulp Fiction was robbed at least....If it hadn't been for the anal rape scene, I bet it would've won....

I agree on at least the notions that Harmonica states against Forrest Gump. He is right.

But, I also enjoyed the movie for it's pure entertainment value...

Gyron
10-24-2005, 02:10 PM
I enjoyed Gump for its entertainment value. It definitely wasn't the worst movie Tom hanks has ever made....I can think back to some of his earlier ones that definitely were a LOT worse....

What was that one called? Was it "the suburbs" or something like that?

Harmonica
10-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Pulp Fiction was robbed at least....If it hadn't been for the anal rape scene, I bet it would've won....

Probably not. Forrest Gump had a massive PR push behind it, huge box office numbers, etc.. Plus Tom Hanks' popularity was at an all-time high. Nothing was going to stop Gump from collecting the hardware that year. Also, this was at a time when Miramax was still basically in its infancy and considered an indie studio; it couldn't really compete with the big Hollywood studios (it's since been bought out by Disney and founders Bob and Harvey Weinstein have left). I'm not even a huge Pulp Fiction fan, but it was the freshest, most exhilarating movie to come out that year, or in a long time, for that matter. It should have gotten more than the bone the Motion Picture Academy threw at it for best original screenplay. But then, they rarely get it right anyway.

heywoode
10-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Probably not. Forrest Gump had a massive PR push behind it, huge box office numbers, etc.. Plus Tom Hanks' popularity was at an all-time high. Also, this was at a time when Miramax was still basically in its infancy and considered an indie studio—it couldn't really compete at the time with the big Hollywood studios (it's since been bought out by Disney and founders Bob and Harvey Weinstein have left). I'm not even a huge Pulp Fiction fan, but it was the freshest, most exhilarating movie to come out that year, or in a long time, for that matter. It should have gotten more than the bone the Motion Picture Academy threw at it for best original screenplay. But then, they rarely get it right anyway.

All good points as to why I don't put too much stock in the annual Hollywood politics/popularity contest awards...

Pulp Fiction was the best movie of that year, IMO.

Dab
10-24-2005, 02:50 PM
Being There (1979)

I hadn't seen this for years, and somehow I spaced the ending.

Stryder
10-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Being There (1979)

I hadn't seen this for years, and somehow I spaced the ending.

Peter Sellers?

Stryder
10-25-2005, 11:24 AM
High Tension

Dab
10-26-2005, 06:45 PM
Peter Sellers?

That's the one. I must have missed the entire ending the first time I saw it, because I don't know how I wouldn't have remembered it.

Interesting tidbit about this film -- the director, Hal Ashby, was never paid.

Natston
10-26-2005, 06:51 PM
The Exorcist

Spicoli
10-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Gangs of New York

I enjoyed this movie tremendously, don't know why it took me so long to watch it. I thought the atmosphere of the movie was incredible. I would call the story "exagerrated reality", but overall it was very good.

Pacersin6
10-27-2005, 06:49 PM
House of Wax (2005)

Im very embarrassed to say this. I actually liked it. The special effects at the end were horrible, but still a fun ride

Raskolnikov
10-28-2005, 03:03 PM
A Clockwork Orange

for the third or fourth time...

btw why did malcolm mcdowell (playing alex in a wonderful magical way) not get more out of his acting career? i know he played in a lot of films (about 130) but aside clockwork not they re not really known i believe

Unclebuck
10-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Gangs of New York

I enjoyed this movie tremendously, don't know why it took me so long to watch it. I thought the atmosphere of the movie was incredible. I would call the story "exagerrated reality", but overall it was very good.

My favorite part of that movie, is the first 10 minutes. The music, and then when they open that door to the outside and it is snowy and quiet, just kinda took my breath away

LouisvilleLip
10-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Revolver (05)

Pacers#1Fan
10-29-2005, 05:18 PM
Wedding Crashers

Hicks
10-29-2005, 10:09 PM
Titanic

Shade
10-29-2005, 11:09 PM
I ws looking forward to seeing Saw 2 this weekend, until I found out that most of my friends had already gone to see it. :unimpress

Am I the only one on here who doesn't see movies alone? It's just kinda depressing to me, I guess. It's not nearly as much fun, even if I really wanted to see the movie. :shrug:

Kegboy
10-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Titanic

:laugh:

The start of the regular season's getting you nostalgic for days gone bye, huh?

Hicks
10-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Am I the only one on here who doesn't see movies alone? It's just kinda depressing to me, I guess. It's not nearly as much fun, even if I really wanted to see the movie. :shrug:

I'm almost the exact opposite. Especially when I haven't seen it before. I love audience reactions to movies, though. But I like to get a bit of tunnel vision as I soak in a movie for the first time.

Hicks
10-30-2005, 12:31 AM

The start of the regular season's getting you nostalgic for days gone bye, huh?

No, I just like the movie.

beaversnducks311
10-30-2005, 01:30 AM
What was that one called? Was it "the suburbs" or something like that?

oh my gosh! "the 'burbs"...i love that movie!....stupid, but i love it....

i just watched "Office space" again...can't seem to get enough...is the special edition out yet? how is it if anybody has it?

SoupIsGood
10-30-2005, 01:35 AM
I ws looking forward to seeing Saw 2 this weekend, until I found out that most of my friends had already gone to see it. :unimpress

Same here... it just seems weird. Or would seem I guess, I haven't even tried it. :blush:

Hicks is a brave man. :laugh:

beaversnducks311
10-30-2005, 01:40 AM
i love watching movies by myself....being able to just sit by myself in a theatre for 2 hours is refreshing....gives me some alone time and i enjoy myself....

Pig Nash
10-30-2005, 02:02 AM
Saw, again, in preperation for Saw II

Harmonica
10-30-2005, 02:46 AM
Le Samouraï (1967). Now I know where Jarmusch got the idea for Ghost Dog.

Oh, and I watch movies all the time by myself. Don't see what the big deal is.

Raskolnikov
10-30-2005, 09:08 AM
i love watching movies by myself....being able to just sit by myself in a theatre for 2 hours is refreshing....gives me some alone time and i enjoy myself....
yes :nod:

Dab
10-30-2005, 11:29 AM

That's what Paul Reubens tried to tell the Sarasota police.

Harmonica
11-01-2005, 03:45 AM
http://cover6.cduniverse.com/MuzeAudioArt/490/498302.jpg

If this cover art doesn't make you want to see the film, check your pulse, you may be dead.

beaversnducks311
11-01-2005, 04:48 AM
That's what Paul Reubens tried to tell the Sarasota police.

:laugh: you make me chuckle, dabney....

RWB
11-01-2005, 11:02 AM
High Tension

What a sick perverted film. I liked it.

Skaut_Ech
11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm almost the exact opposite. Especially when I haven't seen it before. I love audience reactions to movies, though. But I like to get a bit of tunnel vision as I soak in a movie for the first time.
I'm almost the exact opposite. Especially when I haven't seen it before. I love audience reactions to movies, though. But I like to get a bit of tunnel vision as I soak in a movie for the first time. I'm with you, Hicks. I forget about everything in the theatre and am locked in on the film. That's also why I hardly go to the theater anymore. It is impossible to watch a movie without someone talking through it, answering a phone, bringing their kids to a movie unappropriate for their age.....I love seeing movies in the theatre, but I hate going to the theatre. When I go, I tend to be by myself. Part of the reason I go by myself is that I really like to talk about a movie after I see it, but most people tend to treat it like their bucket of popcorn: "I'm done. That was good. What next ?" Conversation seems to last about 5 minutes. I like to marinate in a movie after it's done. BTW, I have a request. Instead of just posting what movie you saw, at least say if you liked it or not. Give us a little background on the movie, who you were with...whatever. I can't believe how many people post and all they write is a movie title. Give us a little something. If all you're going to do is write a movie title, why bother? What's the point of 5 posts in row that read like this?: "Rocky and Bullwinkle" "Dick Tracy" "Le Femme Nikita" "Ikiru" "Behind the Green Door" Okay...you saw a movie...and....what? Write something!!

Bball
11-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Give us a little something. If all you're going to do is write a movie title, why bother? What's the point of 5 posts in row that read like this?: "Rocky and Bullwinkle" "Dick Tracy" "Le Femme Nikita" "Ikiru" "Behind the Green Door" Okay...you saw a movie...and....what? Write something!![/color]

Maybe they think if anyone is interested in more that person will ask?

BTW... back square on topic- Since basketball season is upon us I watched 'Hoosiers' again the other night. It's still one of my favorites. I worry that on one of these viewings Ollie is going to miss those important free throws though! :eek:

;)
-Bball

Stryder
11-01-2005, 02:09 PM
What a sick perverted film. I liked it.

I enjoyed it very much so. :D

Kegboy
11-01-2005, 07:55 PM
ROTS

Actually held up on the second viewing, which surprised me a bit. Noticed some stuff I hadn't seen before, like they made it look like Padme was still pregnant at her funeral.

Hicks
11-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Revenge of the Sith. The good parts are still good, the awful parts are still awful.

Ragnar
11-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Went and watched Zoro on Friday (Hey I have a 12 year old daughter and a wife) It was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Bball
11-02-2005, 06:32 PM
ROTS

Noticed some stuff I hadn't seen before, like they made it look like Padme was still pregnant at her funeral.

Why would they do that? Maybe they were just implying she'd put on some weight during the pregnancy. It's not like they could leave the scene open to interpretation since she HAD to have the babies to keep with the already locked in story.

I didn't notice that but I still have the DVD... I'll have to look.

Last night was the first time I watched it. IMHO it was clearly the best of the 3 prequels... altho that wouldn't be hard now would it? But I'd say it was MUCH better (hmmmmm...again... that wouldn't be hard either...)

Anyway, I get the feeling there was 1 movie, maybe 2, in the prequel story and forcing it to spread out into 3 movies simply meant the leadup was mostly filler. The genesis of the whole thing seemed to revolve around ROTS and there wasn't much to flesh out in what essentially was a couple of chapters of material blown into the first two prequels. The meat of the story, and any real passion, was in ROTS.

...IMHO...

-Bball

Hicks
11-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Why would they do that?

So that everyone who didn't already know the truth would think the babies were dead, so no one would find them.

Hicks
11-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Office Space.

Pretty funny. Saw it alone. With a comedy, I usually enjoy them more when I have someone else's laughter to feed off of. It did make me laugh though.

Kegboy
11-02-2005, 11:13 PM
I usually enjoy them more when I have someone else's laughter to feed off of.

See, if you'd only watched it while everyone was reading the Citizen Kane debate, that wouldn't have been a problem.

Natston
11-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Predator

It was the first time I had seen it. It was okay, since it was was pretty much cookie-cutter straight forward action. I think I enoyed the attack on the camp more than any of the Predator attacks on humans...

Hicks
11-05-2005, 06:04 PM
A damn shame you'd only see it now. If you'd seen it BEFORE all the rip-offs, I imagine the appreciation would be higher.

Bball
12-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Do we need to re-watch and talk about all the movies we watched between Nov 5th and now? :eek:

-Bball

Gyron
12-01-2005, 08:44 AM
Over the thanksgiving weekend....

I watched Batman Begins....Loved it, can't wait to see the next in the series.
And this one was more realistic I guess than the others(the older series). It was very good.

I watched Robots. Amazing graphics. It is just so cool what they can do with a computer these days. And the all star cast was very good too.

And...I watched Charlie and the choclate Factory. Definitely a Tim Burton twist on a movie. I liked it. Although it was very hard to hear/understand the ummpa lumpas when they sang. they could have done a better job with that. But overall I thought it was a pretty good movie.

Harmonica
12-01-2005, 10:01 AM
Pickpocket (1959). One of Bresson's masterpieces. This guy is becoming one of my favorite directors and I don't normally like French cinema.

indytoad
12-01-2005, 06:58 PM
The Boondock Saints.

Started out pretty good, great weird sense of humor...but the last 15 minutes...ugh.

IndyToad
Another illegal deduction

Harmonica
12-01-2005, 07:32 PM
The Boondock Saints.

Worst. Movie. Ever. Or pretty damn close.

Aw Heck
12-01-2005, 07:47 PM
Worst. Movie. Ever. Or pretty damn close.

:amen: I have several friends who swear that it's one of the greatest movies ever. They quote it endlessly and watch it constantly. Sometimes I'm forced to watch it with them and I can't help rolling my eyes at how bad the movie is. The movie tries to be stylish, witty, and dramatic and fails miserably on all counts. I have no idea what people see in it.

indytoad
12-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Heh, a friend recommended it to me too, which is why I watched it. He said it was great. Haven't talked to him since I watched it though. It still couldn't overcome Feardotcom as Worst. Movie. Ever. in my personal listing though. That movie had no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

IndyToad
This is how you make it roar

SycamoreKen
12-02-2005, 11:52 PM
Bio Dome has to be the one of, if not the worst movie. We watched it for 5 minutes and took it back. Wait a second, why am I am I admiting to renting Bio Dome?

indytoad
12-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Aeon Flux.

Was decent, which meant it was about 10 times better than I expected.

IndyToad
Cannot hold love out

Stryder
12-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Finally watched "Monster".

Decent movie. Charlize Theron did a good job with the acting.

Peck
12-04-2005, 02:41 AM
After almost a year I have finally seen "The fog of war". It was not what I had expected at all (read: liberal anti-U.S. piece) & I found MacNemera to be a far more sympathetic figure than I thought he would be.

Oh trust me the film makers had an agenda going into that & just the name alone (radical pictures or something like that) made me take notice. However I thought other than a few times they tried to stear Bob in a direction of thier choosing they pretty much let him tell the story.

On a side note he has to be one of the most lucid 85 year old man I've ever seen.

For some reason I had heard that Bob had totally denounced the war effort just now & I thought this was going to be his confessional. However the tapes show that Bob was trying back in the early 60's to get us out of Vietnam before it ever escalated.

If you like interview style documentry's with some old action footage thrown in or if you are a history or political buff I would recommend this film to you.

DrBadd01
12-04-2005, 02:59 AM
After almost a year I have finally seen "The fog of war". It was not what I had expected at all (read: liberal anti-U.S. piece) & I found MacNemera to be a far more sympathetic figure than I thought he would be.

Oh trust me the film makers had an agenda going into that & just the name alone (radical pictures or something like that) made me take notice. However I thought other than a few times they tried to stear Bob in a direction of thier choosing they pretty much let him tell the story.

On a side note he has to be one of the most lucid 85 year old man I've ever seen.

For some reason I had heard that Bob had totally denounced the war effort just now & I thought this was going to be his confessional. However the tapes show that Bob was trying back in the early 60's to get us out of Vietnam before it ever escalated.

If you like interview style documentry's with some old action footage thrown in or if you are a history or political buff I would recommend this film to you.

I saw that about a year back and liked it a lot. However, you are right Peck, they defenetly had an agenda going into it.

Harmonica
12-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Fog of War was one of the best films of year when it came out. I found it to be pretty objective with only the timing of it hinting at an agenda, but that was more fortuitous for Morris (the filmmaker) than anything else. He couldn't have possibly foreseen that we were going to go to war while he was making it. Other than that, I felt like Morris pretty much let McNamara set the course. The stuff of about the WWII Japan firebombings is unsettling.

The African Queen. Saw it projected at The Egyptian here in LA. Watching it I became very aware of the fact that I couldn't live anywhere but in a major city (NYC or LA) because you couldn't see this (or other classic films) projected really anywhere else. The Egyptian has a different theme every month. This month it's films in technicolor. Another month they might feature a particular director or a couple of directors or an entire genre (sci-fi, gangster films, Italian neo-realism, etc.). Good stuff.

heywoode
12-04-2005, 11:15 AM
I took the kids to see Chicken Little yesterday....I thought it was pretty cool actually....

I watched The Island last night, and I thought it was very good. The female lead in it is friggin' HOT. And I didn't even recognize Obi-Wan until two thirds of the way through it (hey, I was DRINKING!), and when I did, I wanted him to whip out the light saber or use the force or something!

Peck
12-04-2005, 01:44 PM
Fog of War was one of the best films of year when it came out. I found it to be pretty objective with only the timing of it hinting at an agenda, but that was more fortuitous for Morris (the filmmaker) than anything else. He couldn't have possibly foreseen that we were going to go to war while he was making it. Other than that, I felt like Morris pretty much let McNamara set the course. The stuff of about the WWII Japan firebombings is unsettling.

The African Queen. Saw it projected at The Egyptian here in LA. Watching it I became very aware of the fact that I couldn't live anywhere but in a major city (NYC or LA) because you couldn't see this (or other classic films) projected really anywhere else. The Egyptian has a different theme every month. This month it's films in technicolor. Another month they might feature a particular director or a couple of directors or an entire genre (sci-fi, gangster films, Italian neo-realism, etc.). Good stuff.

I love about anything that Bogart was in.

Also back to the fog of war, did you ever get the usettling feeling that if there ever was a gov. conspiracy to take out Kennedy that the General (who's name escapes me now) might have been at the center of it?

Lord Helmet
12-04-2005, 02:24 PM
Full Metal Jacket.

sweabs
12-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre...

Harmonica
12-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I love about anything that Bogart was in.

Also back to the fog of war, did you ever get the usettling feeling that if there ever was a gov. conspiracy to take out Kennedy that the General (who's name escapes me now) might have been at the center of it?

Westmoreland?

Regarding Bogart, the guy had such an interesting face. The Director of Photography for The African Queen was on hand for a Q&A last night (he's 91!) and related a story where Bogart came up to him before filming began and told him, "It took me years of hard living to get all these lines in my face, don't soft light me so I look like a fåg."

Peck
12-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Westmoreland?

Regarding Bogart, the guy had such an interesting face. The Director of Photography for The African Queen was on hand for a Q&A last night (he's 91!) and related a story where Bogart came up to him before filming began and told him, "It took me years of hard living to get all these lines in my face, don't soft light me so I look like a fåg."

Curtis LeMay

http://www.aero.state.ne.us/lemay_files/image003.jpg

As to the part about Bogey...:laugh:

Harmonica
12-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Curtis LeMay

Yeah, LeMay was a scary guy. George C. Scott's character in Dr. Strangelove was based on him.

Bball
12-05-2005, 04:19 AM
Ok... Fog of War is now in my queue and up toward the top.

-Bball

Gyron
12-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Blade Trinity. Pretty cool weapons, fight scenes and special effects but didn't care for the end. They never really explain what they meant about him sleeping until he could roam the earth again, seeing as though it appeared he was awake just a couple days later. Made no sense.

Legally Blonde 2(second time Ive seen that movie, but it has its funny parts) Plus I just like to look at Reese:)

Tomb Raider 2: Cradle of Life-Decent sotry line, cool special effects, not as good as the first one, but not a horrible follow-up either.

I also read that X3 is coming out next year. And it will be the last in the series. They will be facing the choice of ending their mutations as a cure is found for all of the mutations. It did say that Hugh Jackman has signed on for a movie based around Wolverine in 2007, so that should be interesting.

Bball
12-09-2005, 04:04 AM
Fog of War was good and interesting.

...And I actually already had it in my 'library' this whole time and had forgotten it was there :blush:

-Bball

Harmonica
12-09-2005, 11:54 AM
Fog of War was good and interesting.

...And I actually already had it in my 'library' this whole time and had forgotten it was there :blush:

You owned it and didn't know it? Also, I know you're pretty conservative politically, did you think Fog of War was fair and even-handed?

Unclebuck
12-11-2005, 12:47 AM
I saw "Pride and Prejudice" the other day. Very well done movie.

cramerica
12-11-2005, 10:13 AM
Rounders for the 20th time.

DrBadd01
12-11-2005, 11:35 AM
Syriana
Just what one might expect from the guy who wrote Traffic. A grainy, gritty, film about the Middle East, Oil, and america's interest in oil.

Unclebuck
12-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Syriana
Just what one might expect from the guy who wrote Traffic. A grainy, gritty, film about the Middle East, Oil, and america's interest in oil.

I'm probably going to see that this week. Although I was a little concerned about a few of the reviews saying that it is impossible to follow. Is it tough to follow

Bball
12-12-2005, 12:33 AM
You owned it and didn't know it?

That would be correct :blush:

Also, I know you're pretty conservative politically, did you think Fog of War was fair and even-handed?

I'd have to say "yes". It seems McNamara was allowed to tell his story without much prodding or snipping.

BTW... I noticed plenty of quick cuts but rarely got the feeling it was snipping together two pieces of McNamara's narrative and leaving something out. Instead, it seemed like two cameras were used and the cuts were just used for effect. Is that the case or do you know?

I suppose McNamara could've just stumbled over his words and they stopped rolling, rolled again and read his words back to him and let him pick up wherever he felt like and edited the pieces together. That's probably the answer right there but I like the first thought as a creative idea. I liked the 'movement' and 'pacing' (for lack of better terms) that it implied (and never got the feeling something was 'missing').

-Bball

Unclebuck
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
"The Squid & the Whale " I saw that today. Pretty good but very quirky

Hicks
12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
X2. I forgot how much I loved that; best X movie, and it's too bad 3 will probably suck.

Natston
12-14-2005, 07:22 AM
The Punisher

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I'm not going to recommend it either. It needed more depth to it, like Batman Begins...

Stryder
12-14-2005, 08:40 PM
The Punisher

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but I'm not going to recommend it either. It needed more depth to it, like Batman Begins...

I enjoyed it. Thomas Jane did a good job as Frank Castle.

It was way better than The Punisher made with Dolph Lundgren.

Suaveness
12-14-2005, 09:50 PM
The Chronicles of Narnia. I loved it, it was well done. The best character was the one who played Lucy, very cute.

Harmonica
12-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Badlands (1973). Saw it projected last night at a theater here. Probably one of my favorite films of the 70s, which would make it one of my favorite films of all time seeing as the 70s is my favorite movie decade. It's one of those movies that makes you ache at its beauty. The writing is poetic, the casting is pitch perfect and every frame vibrates with life and death and the transitory nature of it all.

It's a friggin' movie...
Yes, you're right. Now go watch King Kong.

Zesty
12-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Watched The 40 Year-Old Virgin last night and thought it was great.

"You know how I know you're gay?"

heywoode
12-16-2005, 08:16 AM
Watched The 40 Year-Old Virgin last night and thought it was great.

"You know how I know you're gay?"

KELLY CLARKSON!!!

DrBadd01
12-16-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm probably going to see that this week. Although I was a little concerned about a few of the reviews saying that it is impossible to follow. Is it tough to follow

Sometimes it can be hard to follow. However, Overall it is pretty easy to get in to.

travmil
12-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Ray

I know this movie has probably been covered in this thread before, but I caught it again on HBO late last night and remembered just how great this movie was. I still can't get over Booger from Revenge of the Nerds being Ray's main producer though....

travmil
12-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Badlands (1973).

Good flick. Based on a true story. Sort of reminds me a bit of what just happened to those folks in PA.

Skaut_Ech
12-16-2005, 04:57 PM
The Chronicles of Narnia. I loved it, it was well done. The best character was the one who played Lucy, very cute.

Just got back from Narnia. Wonderful movie. The pacing was excellent. They didn't slow down for a bunch of exposition or for little character sets. It just hummed along. This would be a series I would welcome. I didn't have the least problem with the Christ allusions. I loved seeing some little kids clap at the end. The movie didn't treat kids like idiots and I think adults can enjoy it just as much as any kid.

Unclebuck
12-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Saw "King Kong" Very good, but not great. I'm not so sure Jack Black was the right actor for that role. Overall I liked "Batman Returns" better. The tone of King Kong seemd a little bit off from time to time. But I did like Kong, they way they portayed him. He was very likeable

kerosene
12-16-2005, 08:06 PM
King Kong. Pretty good for what it was, I wasn't blown away though. Saw Walk the Line last weekend, same deal. Pretty good for what it was but got kind of tiring towards the end.

Hicks
12-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Saw "King Kong" Very good, but not great. I'm not so sure Jack Black was the right actor for that role. Overall I liked "Batman Returns" better. The tone of King Kong seemd a little bit off from time to time. But I did like Kong, they way they portayed him. He was very likeable

I sure hope you meant to say Batman Begins, but to each his own.

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Good flick. Based on a true story. Sort of reminds me a bit of what just happened to those folks in PA.

Charles Starkweather. Chilling story:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/mass/starkweather/index_1.html

Unclebuck
12-17-2005, 09:00 AM

Oops. Yes "Batman Begins".

Kegboy
12-17-2005, 10:14 AM

Hey, maybe UB's just into leather. Don't judge him!

http://www.kino.de/pix/newspics/GALERIE/180704_3.jpg

Maybe it's vinyl. :shrug:

SycamoreKen
12-18-2005, 10:50 AM
We watched The Ladykillers last night, the most recent one. It was o.k. I was glad we didn't rent it, but now Id like to see the origional to see how it compares.

Hicks
12-18-2005, 05:50 PM
King Kong. Not nearly as good as some say. Not that it's bad, but it just gets too ridiculous and interjects humor too much.

Shade
12-18-2005, 07:17 PM
King Kong. Not nearly as good as some say. Not that it's bad, but it just gets too ridiculous and interjects humor too much.

I liked it. The scene with the T-Rexes was really cool. I just wish the movie had been shorter. Nearly 3 1/2 hours was just too much.

Unclebuck
12-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Did anyone else think that Jack Black was just not right for that role.

Hicks
12-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Did anyone else think that Jack Black was just not right for that role.

Definitely. I wanted to like him in this role, but he just did not fit. He had his goofy "overly serious" stare way too often, and his line readings were hit and miss. I would have loved it if he'd've been able to pull it off.

Harmonica
12-19-2005, 12:13 PM

I'm hearing the same kind of things from friends of mine who are more inclined to like a movie like this than me. One of my friends said "a lot of close-ups on Kong making human-like facial expressions." I'm going to pass on this one. I was mildly tempted to go see it, but no more.

Saw The Thin Red Line projected last night. Third time I've seen it. A cinematic poem about war and collisions between man and nature, civilization and primitivism. A masterpiece.

Los Angeles
12-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Saw The Thin Red Line projected last night. Third time I've seen it. A cinematic poem about war and collisions between man and nature, civilization and primitivism. A masterpiece.
For a good while, this was at the top of my wife's favorite list.

Mourning
12-19-2005, 03:12 PM
"The Thin Red Line" is still one of my favorite warmovies. The view of paradise, the lines, the music ... really superbly combined. Must have seen it atleast 10 times by now, which is too much, offcourse, but in all honesty I think this is the sort of movie you have to see atleast two times to see almost all of the details and small angles. "Warriors", "Der Untergang" and "Stalingrad" are really good warmovies aswell btw. "The Thin Red Line" and "Warriors" beying my favorites.

Saw "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" and "Crash" this weekend in the cinema. I thought the Emily Rose movie was ok, but had more potential, could certainly have been better.

"Crash", however ... :-o WOW!!! What a movie! I loved it. Best movie BY FAR that I have seen in the cinema for atleast the last 12 months. A must-see in my opinion. Some of the most powerfull scenes I think I have seen in a long while, combined with the right music and surroundings. A masterpiece in my book.

I like to compare "Crash" to "Traffic" and "Pulp Fiction", both of which I absolutely loved aswell. Several stories coming together, "Traffic" and "Crash" beying more real life/realistic then "Pulp Fiction", but all three great movies IMO.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Unclebuck
12-19-2005, 08:01 PM
[QUOTE=Mourning
"Crash", however ... :-o WOW!!! What a movie! I loved it. Best movie BY FAR that I have seen in the cinema for atleast the last 12 months. A must-see in my opinion. Some of the most powerfull scenes I think I have seen in a long while, combined with the right music and surroundings. A masterpiece in my book.

I like to compare "Crash" to "Traffic" and "Pulp Fiction", both of which I absolutely loved aswell. Several stories coming together, "Traffic" and "Crash" beying more real life/realistic then "Pulp Fiction", but all three great movies IMO.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:[/QUOTE]

"Crash" is the best movie I've seen this year. I actually saw it twice in the theatre

Harmonica
12-20-2005, 12:58 AM
For a good while, this was at the top of my wife's favorite list.

It could very well be right up there for me as well. It's the cinematic equivalent of a seven-course meal. I just watched it again (second night in a row; fourth time overall) and I have yet to absorb it all, if that's possible.

Peck
12-20-2005, 01:20 AM
Harmonica,

I know you are going to think I'm joking about this but I have to ask.

Do you like any John Wayne films? I know he's probably not in the catagory you would enjoy, but I'm curious.

Harmonica
12-20-2005, 01:54 AM
Harmonica,

I know you are going to think I'm joking about this but I have to ask.

Do you like any John Wayne films? I know he's probably not in the catagory you would enjoy, but I'm curious.

I had to go and look at his oeuvre, which is considerable to say the least, but the ones that stand out for me are The Shootist, True Grit, The Searchers, The Sons of Katie Elder, Red River, Rio Bravo and The Quiet Man. But the one that towers above 'em all for me is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. That was probably one of my favorite movies growing up.

Tarantino ranks Rio Bravo as his second favorite film of all time:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/poll/voter.php?forename=Quentin&surname=Tarantino

Peck
12-20-2005, 02:59 AM
I had to go and look at his oeuvre, which is considerable to say the least, but the ones that stand out for me are The Shootist, True Grit, The Searchers, The Sons of Katie Elder, Red River, Rio Bravo and The Quiet Man. But the one that towers above 'em all for me is The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. That was probably one of my favorite movies growing up.

Tarantino ranks Rio Bravo as his second favorite film of all time:

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/poll/voter.php?forename=Quentin&surname=Tarantino

We agree.

The man who shot Liberty Valance is one of my all-time favorite films.

Generally I don't try & lump films together because I just cannot compare say a star wars movie to say GlennGary GlennRoss. But there are some movies that transcend all forms & Valance was certainly one of those for me.

RWB
12-20-2005, 02:37 PM
Seems I keep leaning more and more to documentary films lately for entertainment.

Watched the documentary film "Stevie"

Excellent example of how someone's thinking is so skewed compared to the norm. While there are no excuses for bad choices this film does show how they happen and in some respect why. With the Ron Artest saga taking place at the moment this has some errie similarities.

Basically a story of a young man given up by his mother to be raised by a grandmother. Little love, poverty, and just plain bad decisions by many involved.

Depressing, but sure get's your attention and keeps your interest.

Mourning
12-20-2005, 03:47 PM
It could very well be right up there for me as well. It's the cinematic equivalent of a seven-course meal. I just watched it again (second night in a row; fourth time overall) and I have yet to absorb it all, if that's possible.

Yup! I aggree. Your doing yourself a big disservice if you plan on seeying this movie just once and plan on making a well-rounded comment on it. The scenery, music, everything ... it's like a poem almost.

Some scenes I particularly think are truly superb:

Ben Chaplin is a trooper that particularly draws strength and discipline from the letters he gets from his wife, whom he truly is in love with. The letters he gets and writes help him survive the terrible things he sees. Then one day he gets (offcourse) the letter that really him (logically). His wife is asking for a divorce, she still loves him, but has met an airforce captain (off the top off my head) and she feels beying alone is to hard for her.
The scene starts with her standing outside her house just staring, then her voice comes in and the picture goes to him in the wartheater, reading her letter to him telling she loves him, etc, etc. Meanwhile, when you hear her voice the backgournd music and see him in shock and stunned walking around. The acting in that scene and the combination SUPERB.

Other scenes are, offcourse the storming of the airfield and the aftermath, the total dehumanizing brought into picture and again, it must be said again, the superb music that makes it unnecessary to have real dialogues.

Another scene is one of the latest where Caviezel and two of his mates get chased by a larger then expected Japanese infantry formation. He sacrifices his life. Sounds corny, but it's brought into picture brilliantly. Then when he gets captured after a short time he realizes he's not going to be taking captive, but executed and you look into his eyes and you know what he's thinking/realizing, namely what it is to know/feel that you will breeth (sp?) your last breath and are going to die (a question Caviezel asks himself philosophically at the starting part of the movie). Again with great music coming up from the back.

By far the best musical score Hans Zimmer has made so far IMO.

Any favorite scenes Harmonica?

Regards,

Hicks
12-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Serenity

Skaut_Ech
12-20-2005, 05:22 PM

I gotta go with the "Quiet Man" (Not not that Godda** colorized version), with the Shootist a close second, but I do love Liberty.

Harmonica
12-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Another scene is one of the latest where Caviezel and two of his mates get chased by a larger then expected Japanese infantry formation. He sacrifices his life. Sounds corny, but it's brought into picture brilliantly. Then when he gets captured after a short time he realizes he's not going to be taking captive, but executed and you look into his eyes and you know what he's thinking/realizing, namely what it is to know/feel that you will breeth (sp?) your last breath and are going to die (a question Caviezel asks himself philosophically at the starting part of the movie). Again with great music coming up from the back.
Great scene, and you're right, he's thinking about what it's going to be like to take his last breath and the last thing he will see before dying. Malick does this a couple of other times in the film as well. When the baby-faced kid ("I'm dying, Fife") looks up one last time and sees the light streaming through the leaves above. And when Woody Harrelson's character looks into the serenity of Witt's face before his last breath. Amazing stuff.

By far the best musical score Hans Zimmer has made so far IMO.
I bought it immediately after watching it this last time. Great, great score.

Any favorite scenes Harmonica?
The two men who are sent ahead on the ridge and are gunned down by snipers, giving the others a glimpse of the cold hard reality of war. Their reactions are devastating. I love how the two men disappear into the tall grass and the wind and the light of the sun sweep across the hillside where they fell as if they are being absorbed into the island.

The almost completely buried, dead Japanese soldier whose face is poking out of the dirt speaking in a voiceover: "Are you righteous? Kind? Does your confidence lie in this? Are you loved by all? Know that I was, too. Do you imagine your suffering will be any less because you loved goodness and truth?"

Then, of course, just some of the thoughts juxtaposed against the beautiful imagery. And the last line of the film:

Private Edward P. Train: [narrating] Oh, my soul, let me be in you now. Look out through my eyes, look out at the things you've made. All things shining.

Skaut_Ech
12-20-2005, 06:45 PM
"The Thin Red Line" is still one of my favorite warmovies. The view of paradise, the lines, the music ... really superbly combined. Must have seen it atleast 10 times by now, which is too much, offcourse, but in all honesty I think this is the sort of movie you have to see atleast two times to see almost all of the details and small angles.

Oy!! You guys are going to love this:

I ******* HATED that movie. :spitout:I thought it was pretensious, self-indulgent navel gazing and the movie was unfocused to the point of actually enraging me. How do ya like that? LOL! :soundoff::blush:

I had to be talked out of walking out twice. And I NEVER walk out of movies. (Oddly enough, the only movies I almost walked out on were Drowning Mona and Titanic. I wish I had followed my first instinct on both of those.)

I've met Ed Johnson-Ott (Reviewer for Nuvo magazine) on several occasions. He even let me write a review or two for Nuvo back in the day. Just out of curiousity, I looked up his review of the movie. Falls exactly in line with my view of it:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-1084146/reviews.php?critic=columns&sortby=default&page=2&rid=168045

I cannot express to you how irritatiing I thought this movie was. Started out good, then just turned into oh-so-pretty posturing Pheh!! What's the cliche? "That's three hours of my life I'll never get back?" :thumbsdow

Mourning
12-20-2005, 06:59 PM

I ******* HATED that movie. :spitout:I thought it was pretensious, self-indulgent navel gazing and the movie was unfocused to the point of actually enraging me. How do ya like that? LOL! :soundoff::blush:

I had to be talked out of walking out twice. And I NEVER walk out of movies. (Oddly enough, the only movies I almost walked out on were Drowning Mona and Titanic. I wish I had followed my first instinct on both of those.)

I've met Ed Johnson-Ott (Reviewer for Nuvo magazine) on several occasions. He even let me write a review or two for Nuvo back in the day. Just out of curiousity, I looked up his review of the movie. Falls exactly in line with my view of it:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/movie-1084146/reviews.php?critic=columns&sortby=default&page=2&rid=168045

I cannot express to you how irritatiing I thought this movie was. Started out good, then just turned into oh-so-pretty posturing Pheh!! What's the cliche? "That's three hours of my life I'll never get back?" :thumbsdow

:lol:

To each his own, right? ;)

Regards,

Mourning
12-20-2005, 07:03 PM
I bought it immediately after watching it this last time. Great, great score.

Me too, had to order it from the UK, because the movie was just out here, while the Soundtrack came out sometime later (overhere).

Track 2, 3 (March to the Line), 6 and 9, love them.

Regards,

Harmonica
12-20-2005, 08:28 PM

I bet you're a Saving Private Ryan man.

Mick LaSalle from The San Francisco Chronicle chimes in:

"The Thin Red Line," which opens today, is this year's second great film about World War II, the main event of the 20th century. Inevitably, moviegoers will split into "Saving Private Ryan" and "Thin Red Line" camps. I'd like to get my vote in now for the latter.

The film's cumulative impact has little to do with story and everything to do with mood, so that viewers may feel impatient at times -- only to realize hours later that they've seen something extraordinary. In its tone and form, "The Thin Red Line" is unique and courageous. It may be counted as one of the year's few steps forward in cinema.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1998/12/25/DD21833.DTL

Doug
12-20-2005, 08:51 PM

Amen!

It's the *only* movie I've ever almost walked out on. And I sat through Titantic and Hudson Hawk! I too found myself actually getting angry.

Glad to see I wasn't alone.

Bball
12-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Amen!

It's the *only* movie I've ever almost walked out on. And I sat through Titantic and Hudson Hawk! I too found myself actually getting angry.

Ok... I'm going to have to check The Thin Red Line out. It seems to be a polarizing flick.

Unlike The Fog of War, I'm pretty sure I don't already have this one in my 'library'.

-Bball

Kegboy
12-20-2005, 11:37 PM
Amen!

Oh thank god for you two. Worst movie experience I have ever, ever, ever had. I would rather pull off my toenails and cut my wrists with them then ever, ever, ever, ever even think about sitting through that movie ever again.

:suicide:

[edit] I actually went and saw this Superbowl Sunday afternoon. I wished afterward that I'd stayed home and watched the 8 hour pregame instead. If that doesn't give you an idea of how bad it is, I don't know what will.

Kegboy
12-20-2005, 11:44 PM
As for the Private Ryan comparison, I remember seeing that too. I'd never seen a crowded theater empty in complete silence. Me and my two buddies just went and sat in the car for about five minutes before one of them finally said, "Holy ****."

SycamoreKen
12-21-2005, 01:58 AM
I saw King Kong tonight. If you are even thinking you might want to go see it then do so. The visuals must be seen in the theater.

That being said, you have to remember that you are going to see King Kong. It was a b-movie then and its a b-movie now. It's not Traffic, The King and I, or any other deep movie. It's all about over the top action, emotionalism, and spectacular. There are a thousand little things you will see during the movie that stick out as being completely implausable, but then again you are watching a movie about a 30 foot tall ape that comes from an island also inhabited by dinosaurs. So all of those little things can be pushed aside.

Back to the good stuff. Again the visuals are incredible. From the depression era New York to the ship to the island and then back to New York is was amazing. It looked and felt like it was really that era and not a cleaned up version like we see on many t.v. shows.

The special effects are probably the best I have ever seen, or the best since Return of the King. Kong looks real and while its still not possible to make human/cgi interaction seamless, this is as close as I've seen it yet. I didn't feel that Kong was to human, but actually behaved like real gorillas do. he showed emotions and behaviors at that level.

Again, this is an old time action movie. You have the obvious "keep the stars alive" coincedences and unlikely events. But, in the end, I found the good far outweighed the silly. It was worth the money for the island part itself.

Harmonica
12-21-2005, 02:53 AM
Oh thank god for you two. Worst movie experience I have ever, ever, ever had. I would rather pull off my toenails and cut my wrists with them then ever, ever, ever, ever even think about sitting through that movie ever again.

:suicide:

[edit] I actually went and saw this Superbowl Sunday afternoon. I wished afterward that I'd stayed home and watched the 8 hour pregame instead. If that doesn't give you an idea of how bad it is, I don't know what will.

In your opinion. You just didn't see it with the right kind of eyes. No one I know would see Saving Private Ryan and go sit in the parking lot for five minutes before finally saying, "Holy ****." No one I know would allow themselves to be so easily manipulated by Speilberg's ham-fisted attempts at evoking emotions. He's like the Wizard of Oz pulling the levers with the curtains pulled back for all to see.

Natston
12-21-2005, 06:47 AM
Airplane!

One of my all-time favorites that just got rereleased on a special edition DVD. It was fun to watch it with the trivia option on, because I've seen that movie so many times yet there are still some things I didn't notice...

Doug
12-21-2005, 08:32 AM
In your opinion. You just didn't see it with the right kind of eyes. No one I know would see Saving Private Ryan and go sit in the parking lot for five minutes before finally saying, "Holy ****." No one I know would allow themselves to be so easily manipulated by Speilberg's ham-fisted attempts at evoking emotions. He's like the Wizard of Oz pulling the levers with the curtains pulled back for all to see.

In your opinion. You just didn't see it with the right kind of eyes. No one I know would see The Thin Red Line and then blabber about on a message board about how it how great a movie it was. No one I know would allow themselves to be so easily manipulated by Malick's ham-fisted attempts at evoking emotions. He's like the Wizard of Oz pulling the levers with the curtains pulled back for all to see.

:-)

I kid, I kid.

But seriously, I thought Malick's manipulations were *at least* as in your face as Spielberg's. Just becuase he's using pretty images and music doesn't make it less so.

Spicoli
12-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I had seen The Thin Red Line in the theatre 8 years ago. I remembered liking the movie, but my girlfriend at the time hated it. So I never really had anyone to discuss it with.

Anyway, after reading some posts, I bought the DVD last night and re-watched it. I enjoyed it much more the second time, as the first time I saw it I didn't appreciate the scenery and the score near enough. It's certainly a depressing film, or at least I would describe it as "haunting." But some of the scenes are just incredible IMO.

That scene on the hill where the sun comes out, lights everything up, and then all hell breaks loose is surreal. I also was chilled by the scene after they take the hill and charge the Japanese camp. The musical score is perfect there.

That said, I can still see how the movie falls into the love it or hate it category.....

Hicks
12-21-2005, 11:01 AM
In your opinion. You just didn't see it with the right kind of eyes.

Harmonica
12-21-2005, 11:54 AM

Never read any Hunter S. Thompson, I take it. :unimpress

Kegboy
12-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Anyway...

Hitch. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. Was actually kind of cute, albeit in a generic romantic comedy kind of way.

Peck
12-21-2005, 04:21 PM

I saw Saving Private Ryan on a 3 story screen with delux surround sound on opening weekend with a group of D-Day survivors.

Let me tell you, they were speechless. You are correct, Speilberg did attempt to evoke emotions & I can tell you that those veterans were very emotional while seeing the film.

I'll be honest about Thin Red Line. I don't remember it that well but my fain memory was one of "eh". In other words I don't think I loved it nor do I think I hated it.

I think I will try & watch it again sometime soon though.

However, I did like S.P.R. but then again I think it has a lot to do with the majesty of the theatre & the surroundings.

MagicRat
12-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Ok... I'm going to have to check The Thin Red Line out. It seems to be a polarizing flick.

Unlike The Fog of War, I'm pretty sure I don't already have this one in my 'library'.

-Bball

The Thin Red Line is one of the dozen or so in my library that I've never watched. From reading this thread, I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing.........

Mourning
12-21-2005, 04:52 PM
I had seen The Thin Red Line in the theatre 8 years ago. I remembered liking the movie, but my girlfriend at the time hated it. So I never really had anyone to discuss it with.

Anyway, after reading some posts, I bought the DVD last night and re-watched it. I enjoyed it much more the second time, as the first time I saw it I didn't appreciate the scenery and the score near enough. It's certainly a depressing film, or at least I would describe it as "haunting." But some of the scenes are just incredible IMO.

That scene on the hill where the sun comes out, lights everything up, and then all hell breaks loose is surreal. I also was chilled by the scene after they take the hill and charge the Japanese camp. The musical score is perfect there.

That said, I can still see how the movie falls into the love it or hate it category.....

I agree 100% with this post. The Thin Red Line REALLY is a movie that has so much details and finesse things in it that if you see it once you are going to miss things, which you will notice when you see it a second or third time.

The main difference with "Saving Private Ryan" really is that this last movie has a story made into the movie and it's exactly that story that I resent from the movie. I really thought the first 20 minutes and the last 25 minutes were some of the best war scenes I have ever seen, brutal and uncompromising as war is, particularly in small spaces. I didn't really like some of the sentimental story items in SPR, but the rest make this absolutely a good warmovie IMO.

I really like SPR, but I prefer The Thin Red Line. It really is pretty unconventional. You don't get a traditional storyboard a scenario. What you really see is a group of inexperienced "green" soldiers turn into and chenge to numb and battlehardened veterans, some more unforgiving towards the enemy then others all (or almost all) doing things that really a lot of people don't want to see, but that do happen in wars. Some are affected by what they had to or didnt have to do, some not. It's not a black-white, good guy-bad guy story. I think the absence of a normal storyline (aka "the boys fight to achieve a certain goal/mission and live happily ever after) puts a lot of people off.

Regards,

Harmonica
12-21-2005, 05:21 PM
I agree 100% with this post. The Thin Red Line REALLY is a movie that has so much details and finesse things in it that if you see it once you are going to miss things, which you will notice when you see it a second or third time.

I really like SPR, but I prefer The Thin Red Line. It really is pretty unconventional. You don't get a traditional storyboard a scenario. What you really see is a group of inexperienced "green" soldiers turn into and chenge to numb and battlehardened veterans, some more unforgiving towards the enemy then others all (or almost all) doing things that really a lot of people don't want to see, but that do happen in wars. Some are affected by what they had to or didnt have to do, some not. It's not a black-white, good guy-bad guy story. I think the absence of a normal storyline (aka "the boys fight to achieve a certain goal/mission and live happily ever after) puts a lot of people off.

Regards,

What do you know?! You're a foreigner! You guys like your films slow and boring and thought-provoking! More character-driven than plot-driven! I want a fast-paced story with lots of cuts and CGI and a John Williams score to tell me how to think and feel! ;)

Unclebuck
12-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Saving Private Ryan was a great movie. In my top 5 alltime

jrm7one
12-22-2005, 02:48 AM
The Five People You Meet In Heaven

Surprisingly good movie. I hadn't heard about the movie but I'd heard about the book (it was a NY Times Best Seller). I saw it in Blockbuster and since I hate to read, I decided to watch the movie instead.

Anybody with an open-minded view of the afterlife, or even some sort of belief in heaven, it's a good watch. Makes you wonder, and kind of puts everything into perspective about what's really important while we're here on Earth.

I'll probably end up getting the book anyway now that I know how good of a story it is. I highly recommend seeing the movie though.

Natston
12-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Serenity

Kegboy
12-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Serenity

I'm seriously tempted to go rummage through my Xmas presents so I can watch this. :(

Kraft
12-24-2005, 12:33 AM
OK, so when I'm in classes, I neglect my film study. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that ever, ever again.

So, I'm taking suggestions. Anyone have any? ... especially those who may've noticed the type of film I enjoy, or at least enjoy trying ...

Harmonica
12-24-2005, 02:37 AM
OK, so when I'm in classes, I neglect my film study. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that ever, ever again.

So, I'm taking suggestions. Anyone have any? ... especially those who may've noticed the type of film I enjoy, or at least enjoy trying ...
Well, that's pretty random. Movies of late? Or what?

Kraft
12-24-2005, 12:57 PM
Well, that's pretty random. Movies of late? Or what?

Seriously, anything.

I'm out of class, out of a 65 hour a week job and out of any city that I'm remotely familiar with. Needless to say, I have time to kill.

Harmonica
12-24-2005, 01:15 PM
Seriously, anything.

I'm out of class, out of a 65 hour a week job and out of any city that I'm remotely familiar with. Needless to say, I have time to kill.

Seen Oldboy? Korean flick.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/oldboy.php

How about Andrei Rublev (1966)?

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=3382

Or The Leopard (1963).

http://www.dvdbreakdown.com/titles/leopard.html

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20030914/REVIEWS08/309140302/1023

At 205 minutes and 185 minutes respectively, that would kill a lot of time (6.5 hours). But you will be rewarded. Great films.

Skaut_Ech
12-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Seen Oldboy? Korean flick.

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/oldboy.php

I've had Oldboy for a couple of weeks now but haven't gotten around to watching it yet. Since I'm starting week three (the final week) of my vacation, I'm planning on watching it. I'll let you guys know what I think.

On the viewing list: Oldboy, Layer Cake, Hotel Rwanda & Coffee and Cigarettes.

Kegboy
12-24-2005, 11:50 PM
Serenity. I thought Grace was getting it for me for Christmas, but thankfully I found out she thought I was buying it myself, so I went and bought it last night. I didn't even notice my criticisms from when I saw it in the theater (bad music and poor camera angles). But then, I watched it without surround sound and on a much smaller screen. :shrug:

Bball
12-25-2005, 02:13 AM
The Thin Red Line

Well... I guess I'm on the side that likes Saving Private Ryan better. TTRL had (IMHO) excellent camera work (the use of lighting... shadows... natural light... etc). I just couldn't get wrapped up or involved in the story as it unfolded.

And maybe it's just me but it didn't help seeing some familiar (too familiar?) faces popping up for snippet roles/scenes where they were a distraction more than anything. Travolta and Clooney quickly come to mind. Even Sean Penn's role (while obviously larger) was just here and there, so when he did appear I couldn't keep from thinking "There's Sean Penn, again". The same goes for Nolte (altho maybe a little less). And this isn't a knock on their acting per se'.

I can't say I didn't like it... but it's not a film I can say I loved either.

I watched it on a 53" widescreen via upconverted DVD in OAR and 5.1 surround sound... Maybe it would've been more involving on a bigger screen.

-Bball

Bball
12-25-2005, 05:09 AM
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

I liked this much better than tonight's other movie (The Thin Red Line). But then about anything with Jimmy Stewart in it is hard to beat.

-Bball

Vicious Tyrant
12-25-2005, 02:16 PM
Kids have ruined my attention span. I went to see Narnia yesterday with my wife. We got bored and snuck over to Geisha - got REALLY bored, and went over to King Kong. Totally boring so we went to The Ringer, which wasn't really very funny. By that time our friends were done with Narnia so we joined up with them and went home.

Hated everyone of them, but I don't know if my vote really counts.

Hicks
12-25-2005, 04:22 PM
I watched it on a 53" widescreen

Maybe it would've been more involving on a bigger screen.

-Bball

I should hit you. :tongue:

kerosene
12-26-2005, 03:58 AM
memoirs of a geisha. probably not something i'd go see on my own but girl wanted to go cause she's read the book a few times so why not? it was alright. a bit too much of 'chick flick' methinks.

Mourning
12-26-2005, 06:38 AM
Just saw Munich last night, it was awesome.

Yeah, I really want to see that one too when it comes to Europe.

Harmonica
12-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Just saw The Family Stone.

A real tear jerker, but a good movie none the less.

When I first saw the title of that movie, I wanted The Family Stone to be about Sly and the Family Stone. I was disappointed to see that it wasn't.

Going to see Munich later today. Speilberg usually lets me down, but I really want to like this one.

Bball
12-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...

Very innovative. Not a lot of story driving the plot but entertaining none the less.

-Bball

JamesR
12-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Funny in a goofy way. Now I need to find the book.

GetOdom
12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Anger Management :rockon:

SoupIsGood
12-26-2005, 05:24 PM
stewie griffin untold story

i was kinda disappointed

Skaut_Ech
12-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Just watched Crash. Phew!! GREAT movie. I think you have to be a little forgiving with some of the coincidences, because ultimately, it's worth it. The first 20 minutes might make you a bit uncomfortable, but stick with it. I think you'll be well rewarded. Definitely one of the top 5 movies I've seen this year. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a movie.

Bball
12-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Just watched Crash. Phew!! GREAT movie. I think you have to be a little forgiving with some of the coincidences, because ultimately, it's worth it. The first 20 minutes might make you a bit uncomfortable, but stick with it. I think you'll be well rewarded. Definitely one of the top 5 movies I've seen this year. It's been a while since I've been this excited about a movie.

That's one in my library that I've yet to watch... Maybe I need to move that one up the list.

So far, I think Downfall has been the movie I enjoyed the most this year. I have some free time and so I'm going to try and squeeze a few titles in before the end of the year so that is subject to change.

-Bball

Hicks
12-26-2005, 10:17 PM
I bought Crash blind on DVD and did not regret it at all.

Harmonica
12-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Not a purchase-worthy flick, in my opinion, but then, neither are half the DVDs I purchase.

SoupIsGood
12-26-2005, 10:33 PM
I watched Crash, I'm not sure I got it. Whatever the point was went over my head I think. Can't remember much of it now though.

Harmonica
12-26-2005, 10:51 PM
Munich. As I said earlier, Speilberg usually lets me down, and this time he didn't. I wasn't blown away by this film, but Speilberg did show more restraint than usual. I told myself going in to try and block out John Williams' score, as he tends to be heavy-handed, but I found myself tuning in and not being put off by it. At times, it felt like a 70s film; I just wish he could have sustained that the entire time. There were really only a couple of missteps, but they were pretty forgivable and easy to get past. 8/10.

Los Angeles
12-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Sin City. I love it, many don't.

It also has some of the strangest special features I've ever seen. Like a pointless all green-screen version, another twenty minute clip when they just kept the camera rolling while different people from the crew go in and out of frame, a "how to make breakfast tacos" cooking show with the director, and worst of all: concert footage of Bruce Willis and the Accelerators playing some "blues" song.

I should burn the DVD in effigy for inficting that much pain. Why lord, why?

Harmonica
12-26-2005, 11:34 PM
Sin City. I love it, many don't.

It also has some of the strangest special features I've ever seen. Like a pointless all green-screen version, another twenty minute clip when they just kept the camera rolling while different people from the crew go in and out of frame, a "how to make breakfast tacos" cooking show with the director, and worst of all: concert footage of Bruce Willis and the Accelerators playing some "blues" song.

I should burn the DVD in effigy for inficting that much pain. Why lord, why?

People own the DVDs they deserve.

Los Angeles
12-26-2005, 11:37 PM
People own the DVDs they deserve.
I got you Gigli for Christmas.

Mourning
12-27-2005, 01:33 AM
I got you Gigli for Christmas.

:lol:

Mourning
12-27-2005, 01:34 AM
That's one in my library that I've yet to watch... Maybe I need to move that one up the list.

-Bball

Go. Watch. It. NOW.

;)

Regards,

indytoad
12-27-2005, 02:15 AM
Syriana. Suffered from a severe case of "Wait, who's that guy? Why is he so important?" syndrome. Too many people that looked similar and were poorly identified. I guess that's how you know it's a political thriller.

Grave of the Fireflies. Very good movie. A view of WW2 from an angle you don't usually see.

Fun with Dick and Jane. Decent. Had a few laughs here and there, but nothing particularly notable.

Ended up missing my chance to see Serenity at a big screen, as the cheap theaters had it for a grand total of two weeks. And when I did go to see it, the projector was broken. Jerks. I guess I'll go buy it then...

IndyToad
A Cookoo

Stryder
12-27-2005, 06:46 AM
Salo and Canniball Holocaust.

Just kidding.

Seriously,

Polar Express.

- Loved it. I thought it was a very good Christmas movie.

Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas

- I love this movie as well. A Christmas classic.

A Christmas Carol

- George C. Scott's version is my favorite, with the Patrick Stewart version my second.

It Came Upon the Midnight Clear

- A hokey, yet very nice story. Mickey Rooney is very good.

Harmonica
12-27-2005, 10:23 AM
Munich. As I said earlier, Speilberg usually lets me down, and this time he didn't. I wasn't blown away by this film, but Speilberg did show more restraint than usual. I told myself going in to try and block out John Williams' score, as he tends to be heavy-handed, but I found myself tuning in and not being put off by it. At times, it felt like a 70s film; I just wish he could have sustained that the entire time. There were really only a couple of missteps, but they were pretty forgivable and easy to get past. 8/10.

Okay, I've given this a little more thought. Two minor missteps and one big one. I thought the first 20+ minutes of Saving Private Ryan were brilliantly conceived and executed. Simply harrowing to watch. Well, in Munich, Speilberg recreates the '72 Olympic hostage situation and films it in grisly detail, except he shows us the first minutes or so to open the film and then sprinkles the rest of it throughout in flashback. It would have been much, much more powerful to have let it play out uninterrupted. I know why he did it the way he did, because he's trying to show his lead character's motivation and moral struggle, but it wasn't necessary and thinking about it a little more, rather heavy handed.

Skaut_Ech
12-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Okay, I've given this a little more thought. Two minor missteps and one big one. I thought the first 20+ minutes of Saving Private Ryan were brilliantly conceived and executed. Simply harrowing to watch. Well, in Munich, Speilberg recreates the '72 Olympic hostage situation and films it in grisly detail, except he shows us the first minutes or so to open the film and then sprinkles the rest of it throughout in flashback. It would have been much, much more powerful to have let it play out uninterrupted. I know why he did it the way he did, because he's trying to show his lead character's motivation and moral struggle, but it wasn't necessary and thinking about it a little more, rather heavy handed.

Okay, I'm going to take a little issue with you. Granted, I haven't seen Munich, yet, but I think you have an old bias against Spielberg and it may affect your impression of a movie. Maybe? Just from your description, sounds like Speilberg may have made a small concession to make the film a little more accessable so as to reach a broader audience.

For me, Michael Bay is heavy-handed. I quit thinking of Speilberg as "heavy-handed" after Schindler's list (Which DID have one manipulative scene, I admit. The one where he's lamenting not being able to do enough was a bit much, but a mere blip in a near perfect movie.)

Yeah, he's mainstream, (hence you're problem with Private Ryan?) and I suspect you wish he'd go more avant guard? Do you think he's misdirected with his talent? Personally, I think his growth as a director has been unbelievable.

I curious. How do you feel about Spielberg?

(I'll tell ya my take on him. When he stays away from intentionally heartstring plucking material he's great. I compare him to Kevin Costner. When Costner isn't putting himself in apocolyptic films, his charm is palpable.)

Zesty
12-27-2005, 01:35 PM
I must be the only person who thinks Crash was overrated. It was better than average, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as everyone else seems to think. Parts of it seem really forced to me.

I watched The Godfather yesterday for the first time ever. Great movie. Not necessarily in my top ten, but I really enjoyed it and would like to watch it again soon to see if I missed anything.

Harmonica
12-27-2005, 07:49 PM
I must be the only person who thinks Crash was overrated. It was better than average, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as everyone else seems to think. Parts of it seem really forced to me.
Yep. I liked it, but there were just too many coincidences for my taste. Definitely overrated, in my opinion. But still, better than the typical Hollywood effort.

Hicks
12-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Yep. I liked it, but there were just too many coincidences for my taste. Definitely overrated, in my opinion. But still, better than the typical Hollywood effort.

What about Pulp Fiction?

Harmonica
12-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Okay, I'm going to take a little issue with you. Granted, I haven't seen Munich, yet, but I think you have an old bias against Spielberg and it may affect your impression of a movie. Maybe? Just from your description, sounds like Speilberg may have made a small concession to make the film a little more accessable so as to reach a broader audience.
Did you see what I initially wrote about Munich? It was a two-part review. And I don't have a bias towards Speilberg, per se, but more toward his approach to his material.

For me, Michael Bay is heavy-handed. I quit thinking of Speilberg as "heavy-handed" after Schindler's list (Which DID have one manipulative scene, I admit. The one where he's lamenting not being able to do enough was a bit much, but a mere blip in a near perfect movie.)
The little girl's pink-tinted dress was manipulative and heavy-handed. "Wait, in case you didn't see that..." I liked Schindler's List, but there's a reason why Speilberg doesn't appear in top 10 lists among other directors.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/poll/directors-directors.html

Yeah, he's mainstream, (hence you're problem with Private Ryan?) and I suspect you wish he'd go more avant guard? Do you think he's misdirected with his talent? Personally, I think his growth as a director has been unbelievable.
My problem with Saving Private Ryan has nothing to do with the fact that it's mainstream. I didn't care for the story (after the first 20 minutes), and again, Speilberg's overall approach to the material.

I'm curious. How do you feel about Spielberg?

Speilberg is known for grand gestures. He can't help himself. As I've said before, he's like the Wizard of Oz pulling the levers with the curtains pulled back for all to see. I tend to appreciate directors who show more restraint. Although I think he showed a lot of restraint with Munich, which may be the best film he has ever done. It may not quite attain masterpiece status on its own, but it could very well be Spielberg’s masterpiece.

Harmonica
12-27-2005, 09:11 PM
What about Pulp Fiction?
You have to take into consideration what a film's aspirations are. I take it you're talking about coincidences.

Hicks
12-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Yes

Peck
12-28-2005, 12:26 AM
I'm very interested in seeing Munich. Is it worth my time or should I wait till DVD?

BTW, if you are interested in the whole ordeal may I suggest you watch "one day in September" a documentry about the entire event.

Gives the best min. by min. analysis that I have ever seen.

Plus the song "Joy" by Apollo 100 is just absolutely haunting at the massacre. This is going to sound crazy but the visual image of the massacre & the song playing in the background gave me nightmares.

Powerfull, IMO, or maybe I'm just weak.

Either way let me know about going to see this film or just waiting.