PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35

Sparhawk
02-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Flipping the channels and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist just started so I left it there.

Pretty slow movie, but I enjoyed it.

jeffg-body
02-16-2013, 01:12 AM
Thinner (Great Stephen KIng book) it was average at best compared to the book.

SycamoreKen
02-17-2013, 05:11 PM
The Campaign

Dumb but funny. I would call it realistic, but the real ones are even more crazy!

Sparhawk
02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
Ides of March.

What a *****ing boring movie.

spreedom
02-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Batman 1989. I've come to terms with it being a good Elseworlds movie. But as a real Batman movie there's just so much​ totally wrong with it.

AesopRockOn
02-18-2013, 03:00 AM
The Impossible - After the first fifteen minutes or so of expected monotony, the bit with the flood and Naomi and the kid is pretty great. After that, the movie seesaws back and forth between being really genuinely moving and encroaching very close to being manipulatively sentimental. I think it ultimately came out positive. By the same guy who did The Orphanage, probably the best ghost story movie I've ever seen. Recommended.

Wreck-It Ralph - The best animated movie of the year, kind of by default. Still, the animation is great, the depth of the world is impressive, and Sarah Silverman makes the movie work. It's weird to say, but I don't think another actor could have pulled it off. The story does get fairly dark at times (perhaps without being completely aware), and there are some plot elements that are a little underdeveloped, but it's one of those movies like Cabin in the Woods or Scott Pilgrim where you know the people involved just had a ton of fun coming up with the universe and everything in it. Pretty strongly recommended.

Flight - This is barely worth reviewing. The crash is acceptable and there's a pretty interesting scene in a hospital stairwell. Other than that, it's a trite, messy, incoherent, and laughably bad attempt to sell the merits of rehab. Denzel's not bad in it, but when the material is so ******, it's tough to consider it a good performance. It's pretty funny that the lesson is to drink vodka and snort coke, since that's probably not the intention. Best original screenplay? Pretty strongly **** this movie.

Skaut_Ech
02-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Flipping the channels and Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist just started so I left it there.

Pretty slow movie, but I enjoyed it.

I thought it was a very, very, good movie. Witty dialogue, real characters at it's heart and two great leads. Not to mention they didn't do the "gay character used for laughs or as a stereotype" thing. I thought it was one of the better, yet overlooked romantic comedies of it's type of that year.

RWB
02-18-2013, 10:41 AM
The Campaign

Dumb but funny. I would call it realistic, but the real ones are even more crazy!
Well you, would find that movie funny since you're a tilt-a-whirl carnival ride operator. I suspect you learned that trade and how to deep fry anything while in THaute. :D

thewholefnshow31
02-18-2013, 02:42 PM
LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

I watched this over the weekend and I am reading the book as well. I did not realize how much they cut out of the first part of the book, but I have to agree the whole stuff with Tom would not been that good on the big screen.

Made me really want to see the second part of the Hobbit!

Heisenberg
02-19-2013, 08:24 AM
new Red Dawn. didn't think it could be worse than the original but it definitely seems to be. only made it 30 or so minutes.

BRushWithDeath
02-19-2013, 10:18 AM
I started watching Wet Hot American Summer last night. Picked it up somewhere in the middle. It sort of went like this...

"Oh there's an actor I like and think is pretty funny." "Oh there's another one." "Oh cool, she's funny too." "That guys usually in good stuff." "I like her." "I've been watching a movie for an hour that is packed full of people I like and think are funny and I've not laughed once. I guess I'll turn this off and go to bed."

presto123
02-21-2013, 07:28 PM
I enjoyed Flight. More than I can say for the majority of today's movies. Does anybody think all this CGI is actually one of the worst things to happen to the industry? Many rely to heavily on it and we are starting to get cartoon reality movies. It's usually very easy to spot. Too much CGI and rehashing all the old classics are my major gripes about today's movies.

SycamoreKen
02-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Well you, would find that movie funny since you're a tilt-a-whirl carnival ride operator. I suspect you learned that trade and how to deep fry anything while in THaute. :D

Actually, I worked the bumper cars, carousel, and the cotton candy booth my three summers as a carny during the Banks of the Wabash Festival, thank you very much! i almost went on the road with them the summer I graduated from State, but did the grown up thing and tried to get a real job instead.

cdash
02-22-2013, 07:31 AM
Ides of March.

What a *****ing boring movie.

Really? I thought it was really good.

Sparhawk
02-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Argo

Very good movie that was pretty intense.

Sparhawk
02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Chronicle

Love this movie. Really hope they make a sequel and we find out what happened to them that gave them powers.

Gonna be watching 7 Psychopaths that I got form Netflix either tonight or tomorrow.

AesopRockOn
02-23-2013, 11:04 PM
Watched Les Mis. I don't feel qualified to review this. I will say that Russell Crowe's performance comes off as a loving tribute to "Matt Damon" in Team America.

Sparhawk
02-26-2013, 11:59 AM
Silver Linings Playbook - Seriously, everyone, do yourselves a favor and watch this movie.

X-Men First Class - Seen this twice now and was still as great as when I first watched.

Heisenberg
02-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Curfew, the short film that won the Oscar this year. Really, really outstanding. Didn't know I could get misty eyed multiple times in under 20 minutes.

AesopRockOn
02-27-2013, 03:01 AM
Curfew, the short film that won the Oscar this year. Really, really outstanding. Didn't know I could get misty eyed multiple times in under 20 minutes.

How about under five?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh7kVYYBNyk

It looks like Curfew is on iTunes for two bucks. Worth it?

Heisenberg
02-27-2013, 03:38 AM
The one thing about Up that's always, I don't know, given me pause I suppose, is that he made his living selling balloons to kids. You've gotta assume that means he loves kids, is great with the, all that. But then the Boy Scout kid hitches a ride and he treats him like crap for the majority of the movie. I know he lost the love his life and that changes a man, but you'd think old habits die hard. I don't know, maybe I'm over-analyzing lol.

Anyway, about Curfew. I'll preface it by saying that it's pretty damn dark and a big part of why I liked it is because a good bit of it hit home with me, and not necessarily in the best way. But yes, spend the 2 bucks, if only to support extremely quality independent artists. Even if you don't like the themes the quality of the work alone deserves it. And if you hate it, hey, it's only 2 bucks.

Pig Nash
02-27-2013, 03:17 PM
The Departed.

ARE YOU A CAAAWP?

avoidingtheclowns
02-27-2013, 03:36 PM
The Departed.

ARE YOU A CAAAWP?

Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe **** yourself.

Sparhawk
02-27-2013, 06:01 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe **** yourself.

Argo **** yourself.

Sookie
03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
Watched Les Mis. I don't feel qualified to review this. I will say that Russell Crowe's performance comes off as a loving tribute to "Matt Damon" in Team America.

There was a lot to like about Les Mis. Anne Hathaway. Samantha Barks' voice. Anne Hathaway. The visuals. Anne Hathaway. Borat and Helena. Oh yea, and Anne Hathaway. A lot of it was done well. The issue is, the director made the poor decision to go with actors instead of singers. You can't do that in a musical with no dialogue. Crowe was terrible. And Hugh Jackman wasn't that much better. (Listen to his version of "Bring Him Home", and then listen to the broadway show's version..heck..listen to the Glee version.. to see the difference.) The only people that worked for was Sasha Cohen (who might have actually been better at one of the leads) and Helena Bonham Carter, whose songs aren't that difficult and whose comedic timing was more important. But seriously, Anne Hathaway was incredible.

I want to see a lot of oscar movies (I saw Django - awesome); Life of Pi, Silver Linings Playbook, Argo, Beasts of the Southern Wild.

But #1 on my list was The Search for Sugarman. It's a documentary, but an absolutely amazing story. I saw the guy interviewed on 60 minutes, and he's just..endearing. I actually really like his music too. Such an interesting film. Something really positive too.

cdash
03-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Anna Karenina

It was not an enjoyable film.

Sparhawk
03-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Cloud Atlas

Love this movie. Very hard to follow, but I think I understood it by the end of the movie.

cdash
03-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Cloud Atlas

Love this movie. Very hard to follow, but I think I understood it by the end of the movie.

Slavery is bad.

Sparhawk
03-12-2013, 11:12 AM
Slavery is bad.

And don't feed genetically created humans to other genetically created humans. Genetic Soylent Green?

Suaveness
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
Been watching 21 days of Bond on G4. Loving this. Today starts Roger Moore, who I feel gets a bad rap and is actually a pretty good Bond. Though today's movie, Live and Let Die, is very weird...

Heisenberg
03-14-2013, 06:55 AM
So the Jackie Robinson biopic "42" is PG13. That sucks. So much for it being anything other than the next Miracle.

Dgreenwell3
03-14-2013, 07:04 AM
So the Jackie Robinson biopic "42" is PG13. That sucks. So much for it being anything other than the next Miracle.

Miracle was a pretty damn good

Unclebuck
03-14-2013, 07:05 AM
The Call

It was actually pretty good. There is no depth to the story or the characters and the movie completely goes off the rails in the last 15 minutes or so. But I most admit I was completely engrossed, it held my attention the whole time. It was interesting and exciting as they were trying to locate a car as it traveled around LA.

I would recommend the movie. Just don't think too much, just enjoy the ride.

Heisenberg
03-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Miracle was a pretty damn good

It was. It was also a feel good story with basically no other angle than being a feel good story. A Jackie Robinson biopic should obviously be a bit more nuanced, but it won't be if the rating's any indication. It's the integration of "America's pasttime." Not, oh man look how good a baseball player Jackie Robinson was. Maybe I'll be wrong, hope so, but it's probably going to be pretty superfluous and a Robinson biopic deserves better.

vnzla81
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
"Hermanos" found it on nextflix, I didn't even know that it was a venezuelan film, good movie overall, they did a good job in finding actors that can actually play soccer unlike "Goal".

I also went to the movie theater last week and watched "Jack the giant slayer", the reviews are not that good for some reason but in my opinion the movie was good.

vnzla81
03-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Silver Linings Playbook - Seriously, everyone, do yourselves a favor and watch this movie.

I agree, really good movie, I thought it was going to be another chick flick movie but is nothing like that, go see it people.

Hicks
03-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Evil Dead (original). Never seen it before. Well done.

RWB
03-14-2013, 11:48 AM
Evil Dead (original). Never seen it before. Well done.

If you haven't seen Evil Dead 2 you better get cracking. Oh, and throw in Dead Alive for good measure. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dead+alive&mid=7072418D312F3ABCF3477072418D312F3ABCF347&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

Sparhawk
03-14-2013, 11:55 AM
If you haven't seen Evil Dead 2 you better get cracking. Oh, and throw in Dead Alive for good measure. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=dead+alive&mid=7072418D312F3ABCF3477072418D312F3ABCF347&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1

Dead Alive. Hell yeah. That's the one with the giant attacking boob, right? haha

Hicks
03-14-2013, 12:00 PM

I've seen a lot of clips from an extended retrospective video a fan made of Dead Alive. I think I'll pass. Not really watching to see how disgusted I can feel.

But I will try to catch Evil Dead 2 if/when I can. I wish it was on Netflix streaming like the 1st one is.

RWB
03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
I've seen a lot of clips from an extended retrospective video a fan made of Dead Alive. I think I'll pass. Not really watching to see how disgusted I can feel.

But I will try to catch Evil Dead 2 if/when I can. I wish it was on Netflix streaming like the 1st one is.

Yeah, not everyone's taste, but Peter Jackson's film has a lot of comedy in it too.

Hicks
03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah, not everyone's taste, but Peter Jackson's film has a lot of comedy in it too.

If you like that movie, you'll probably enjoy this review of it:

http://blip.tv/welshy/welshy-reviews-braindead-5716042

Actually, a lot of Welshy 's reviews are pretty good.

Basketball Fan
03-15-2013, 11:26 AM
Saw an advanced Screening of The Call

Overall a good movie not sure how I felt about the ending though.

Unclebuck
03-15-2013, 12:43 PM
Saw an advanced Screening of The Call

Overall a good movie not sure how I felt about the ending though.

I might have been in the audience with you. Wednesday night 96th street.

The last 20 minutes oif the movie almost ruined the whole movie for me, but the first hour or so was excellent, so overall I still liked the movie.

AesopRockOn
03-17-2013, 03:39 AM
Not really watching to see how disgusted I can feel.

It seems like when Peter Jackson has run out of ideas, he just puts something really gross to look at on screen. Like The Lovely Bones.

Rewatched Sugarman. Still smiling like a little baby by the end.

Heisenberg
03-17-2013, 03:46 AM
Jack Reacher gets like a 4/10. It's completely preposterous and honestly pretty bad, but hell, Tom Cruise really sells it and Warner Herzong as a Siberian prisoner that ate off like 7 of his own fingers? C'mon.

Hicks
03-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Evil Dead 2. Really goofy.

Peck
03-18-2013, 02:24 AM
Oz the great and powerful. On a side note for whatever reason whenever he smiles in this movie James Franco looks a lot like George Hill or vice versa.

Anyway I know that this hasn't been getting the best of reviews but I actually liked it. I went in without knowing anything about it and believe it or not in my entire life I have never seen the Wizard of Oz. I have seen the musical "Wicked" which was great btw.

Unclebuck
03-18-2013, 07:44 AM
I agree, really good movie, I thought it was going to be another chick flick movie but is nothing like that, go see it people.

You make an interesting point that I would like to discuss. What is your definition of a chick flick? Anyone else? I have never really understood what it means to guys.

I know what a chick flick is not, it is not a gross out comedy (although was Bridesmaids a chick flick?) it is not an action movie, it is not a super hero movie, it is not a blood and gore horror movie or any kind of violent movie. But what about a drama like Lincoln - probably not.

Is s chick flick a romantic comedy? is it a tear-jerker? Silver Linings was a romantic comedy, but also a serious drama - that to me would qualify it as a chick flick. Although the major difference is perhaps it is really well done. So I tend to think a movie that is a romantic comedy and or a serious drama that isn't any good ia a chick flick but a well done movie in the same genre is not.

A chick flick is derogatory, I do know that.

Unclebuck
03-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Jack Reacher gets like a 4/10. It's completely preposterous and honestly pretty bad, but hell, Tom Cruise really sells it and Warner Herzong as a Siberian prisoner that ate off like 7 of his own fingers? C'mon.

I thought it was a really terrible movie - the only thing in the movie any good was Tom Cruise. But it made me mad I wasted time and movie on this moive.

vnzla81
03-18-2013, 10:23 AM
You make an interesting point that I would like to discuss. What is your definition of a chick flick? Anyone else? I have never really understood what it means to guys.

I know what a chick flick is not, it is not a gross out comedy (although was Bridesmaids a chick flick?) it is not an action movie, it is not a super hero movie, it is not a blood and gore horror movie or any kind of violent movie. But what about a drama like Lincoln - probably not.

Is s chick flick a romantic comedy? is it a tear-jerker? Silver Linings was a romantic comedy, but also a serious drama - that to me would qualify it as a chick flick. Although the major difference is perhaps it is really well done. So I tend to think a movie that is a romantic comedy and or a serious drama that isn't any good ia a chick flick but a well done movie in the same genre is not.

A chick flick is whatever my girlfriend likes and I don't like :D

Bridemaids, Dirty Dancing, The Notebook, Safe Heaven(:puke:), Sex and the City(:puke:), Chick Flicks are movies that you always know how they are going to end, is always some stupid love history, some Chick flicks are well done (Pretty Woman) but others are just the same crap as the other ones.

Sparhawk
03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Death Race

Pretty terrible.

graphic-er
03-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Watch the Chronicle Yesterday. Interesting Movie. I don't understand why they kill off the black kid though, just stupid writing. Would have been better to have them both trying to fight the demented cousin in the end.

Reminded me of Akira in the end, especially with him in the hospital and the one cousin yelling "ANDREWWW!!!!" ......."TETSUOOOOO!!!!" alll through out the final stand off.

RWB
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I went in without knowing anything about it and believe it or not in my entire life I have never seen the Wizard of Oz.

You've got to rent it sometime. My top ten all time movie list changes time to time but Wizard of Oz always makes it in there for me personally.

RWB
03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
Almost forgot..... Red Lights... Robert De Niro obviously needed some money.

vnzla81
03-18-2013, 05:09 PM
Project X is a must watch, good movie.

Unclebuck
03-18-2013, 06:03 PM
Almost forgot..... Red Lights... Robert De Niro obviously needed some money.

That was turible

AesopRockOn
03-20-2013, 06:50 PM

Eh, I would categorize Bridesmaids as an indie dramedy with a Melissa McCarthy performance. SLP was a romantic comedy but relatively character driven and pretty subversive.

I think the main thing that makes a chick flick a chick flick is that the love story drives the plot, making it seem inevitable and thus trite and predictable. RomComs aren't necessarily chick flicks, of course, see 500 Days of Summer or Annie Hall. There's really either love drama (like Love Story, or more recently, the Nicholas Sparks ones) or love comedy (from City Lights to Some Like It Hot to Harry Met Sally, etc.).

It's called a chick flick because movie executives have pretty much only heard of four or five segments of the population, and the movies you're thinking of are for the 30 and 40-year-old women who only go to movies to cry. (Granted, that's not an insubstantial portion of moviegoers, and the ****** moniker is caused by both producers and consumers.) I think there are enought bad and uninteresting movies that are formulaic and cliched that you don't necessarily have to separate them by gender but that's pretty how marketing for studios has worked for a long time now.

Suaveness
03-25-2013, 12:29 AM
Wreck it Ralph. What a terrific, sweet movie. And as a fan of old video games, I loved all the throw ins and nods to the old games. And I loved the short as well, super cute.

Sparhawk
03-25-2013, 10:05 AM
Kill Bill vol1

Been awhile since I've seen it and the wife hasn't. She liked it despite all the gore. Vol2 tonight.

Heisenberg
03-31-2013, 04:36 AM
I don't really know what I expected, but don't waste time on GI Joe 2. The Rock, who I genuinely like even though he can't actually act, can't come close to making it passable.

Dgreenwell3
03-31-2013, 09:04 AM
I don't really know what I expected, but don't waste time on GI Joe 2. The Rock, who I genuinely like even though he can't actually act, can't come close to making it passable.

Forgive my pissyness here but that movie pissed me off. The cobra soldiers were actually wearing US NAVY working uniforms. And then at the end of the movie they have a marine officer wearing an Army uniform. My friends and I in theater were like "well, that was a spit in the face." we are now developing a movie call Sailor Robert.

presto123
04-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Thinner (Great Stephen KIng book) it was average at best compared to the book.

Except for the Kari Wurher skirt raising scene. Wowsa!!! It's an OK movie. Never read the book.

presto123
04-01-2013, 02:40 AM
Breakdown(1997) Kurt Russell, Kathleen Ouinlan

One of the most under-rated thrillers of all time. Excellent.

presto123
04-01-2013, 02:42 AM
I saw The Call as well. Pretty good movie although it was derivative of lots of movies. Still better than most box office stuff lately.

Sparhawk
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Hunger Games.

It was alright on the 3rd watch.

thewholefnshow31
04-03-2013, 12:06 PM
GI Joe 2

It was an all right movie for a brainless action movie. I just wanted it to be better than the first one and that was easily done. Just seeing Snake Eyes running around dual uzis made me happy. I was glad I only paid 6 dollars for it, but it was a nice way to kill a few hours.

Dgreenwell3
04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
GI Joe 2

It was an all right movie for a brainless action movie. I just wanted it to be better than the first one and that was easily done. Just seeing Snake Eyes running around dual uzis made me happy. I was glad I only paid 6 dollars for it, but it was a nice way to kill a few hours.

The movie used US Navy uniforms as the uniforms for the cobra members then put a marine officer in an army uniform. I felt like I was growing a tumor.

neosmndrew
04-04-2013, 01:56 AM
Planning on going on a big movie theater trip (which equates to any trip to the theater for me) on April 26th. Any suggestion as to what to see?

LadyAT
04-04-2013, 08:24 AM
A chick flick IMHO has some romance, some comedy, bright women lead characters, and nothing blows up.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

BRushWithDeath
04-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Planning on going on a big movie theater trip (which equates to any trip to the theater for me) on April 26th. Any suggestion as to what to see?

Wait... You plan out a trip to a movie theater a month in advance without an idea of what to see?

neosmndrew
04-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Wait... You plan out a trip to a movie theater a month in advance without an idea of what to see?

Trips to the movie theater are rare for me. It's for my birthday anyway.

presto123
04-06-2013, 04:07 AM
Dark Skies......I don't know......I enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for those alien conspiracy movies. Overall pretty good reviews on IMDB. Anybody else wondering if the new Evil Dead is any good?

Heisenberg
04-07-2013, 02:03 AM

Don't know what you're into but 42, the Jackie Robinson biopic'll be playing then. That looks worth checking out.

Hicks
04-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Evil Dead (2013)

Pretty well done, I guess. I think I may be at the end, or at least the beginning of the end, of watching movies like these. I feel "over it". I'm not scared, I'm barely ever startled, of course it's gross, and at some point it becomes, "Why am I watching?" I basically was just enjoying the filmmakers' execution of the art rather than getting into the movie itself. I wasn't bored.

boombaby1987
04-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Olympus has Fallen. I enjoyed it. Ton of action.

joeyd
04-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Evil Dead (2013)

Pretty well done, I guess. I think I may be at the end, or at least the beginning of the end, of watching movies like these. I feel "over it". I'm not scared, I'm barely ever startled, of course it's gross, and at some point it becomes, "Why am I watching?" I basically was just enjoying the filmmakers' execution of the art rather than getting into the movie itself. I wasn't bored.

I liked it. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't seen the original 30 years ago, but I like watching Suburgatory on TV, and it was good to see the lead actress in a much different type of role. Just like the original, the new movie successfully mixed horror and humor together without making fun of itself.

presto123
04-08-2013, 01:43 AM
The Last Exorcism. I liked it. I like these kind of movies if they are done well.(like Exorcism Of Emily Rose)

Unclebuck
04-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Saw - No I didn't watch the whole thing and while it was disgusting and not the type of movie I like at all. I must admit I started watching it about 10 minutes in and got the set-up and even though I didn't keep watching from that point, something kept drawing me to switch back to it to see what was going on now. And I was intrigued enough to want to know how it ended, so I did watch the ending. Overall I probably watched about half of the movie - not sure I could have taken anymore that - but I enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. I will give them some credit for an intriguing plot

Olympus Has Fallen -

Must have been in the mood to watch movies this past weekend, because I also sort of liked this. There was enough intrigue, enough times during the movie when I was thinking what would they really do if this did happen, how would we react. One thing I enjoyed - is they played it straight, meaning they didn't try to make it a movie like Independence Day. There wasn't any humor (except for 1 line that I remember) and it wasn't too hokey, sure it was over-the-top at times and it was surprisingly violent for this type of movie, but it had a hard edge to it. I like it more than Air Force 1 - a movie it is often compared to - the last half of AF1

Sparhawk
04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
for my birthday, the wife got me the Matrix collection on bluray, Singing in the Rain and X-Men First Class.

I haven't seen Singing in the Rain in years. My favorite musical. Can't wait to watch this soon. :D

Now I just need to get Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

graphic-er
04-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Just seen the previews for "The Great Gatsby" looks like it could be epic.

presto123
04-09-2013, 01:32 PM
There is a horror movie called The Conjuring that received record breaking test scores so the studio moved it to the July spot to battle the other blockbusters. I have great hopes for this as good horror movies are few and far between it seems.

Dab
04-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Room 237

Documentary about 5 obsessed fans of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining. Each has their own theory about a hidden meaning or message that Kubrick intended to convey, drawing upon perceived symbolism and subtext in the film. The theories range from the Holocaust to a confession by Kubrick for his part in the faked Apollo moon landing. The theories are all interesting enough, but what really makes the documentary go is the psychology of the theorists.

My favorite is the guy who thinks because of the abundance of mirrors and reverse images in The Shining that it is intended to be viewed both forwards and backwards, and to that end, he created a version of the film that overlays a reverse copy over a forward copy. Some of the juxtapositions are quite jarring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reTTcB8syf4

Heisenberg
04-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Just seen the previews for "The Great Gatsby" looks like it could be epic.I'm pretty hyped for it. Baz Luhrman's certainly an acquired taste but the guy was freaking made to direct Gatsby.

cdash
04-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Django Unchained

Holy **** what a movie. I love it, and I'm not even a Tarantino worshipper.

joeyd
04-11-2013, 12:36 AM
The Last Exorcism. I liked it. I like these kind of movies if they are done well.(like Exorcism Of Emily Rose)

I really enjoyed that movie as well. Did you see Last Exorcism Part II? Didn't get a good rating on Rotten Tomatoes so am waiting for the DVD.

BRushWithDeath
04-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I watched The Hunger Games last night since it came out on Netflix. I actually enjoyed it which. It was much more violent than I expected for what I thought was a kid's movie.

presto123
04-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I really enjoyed that movie as well. Did you see Last Exorcism Part II? Didn't get a good rating on Rotten Tomatoes so am waiting for the DVD.

Haven't seen it either and I did see the negative reviews as well. Guess we'll wait and see.

presto123
04-11-2013, 03:48 PM
Haunted House(2013) Marlon Wayans.

I really wanted to like this movie as I enjoy spoof movies(and even own Scary Movie on blu ray) but this movie was just plain BAD. I can't even remember laughing at all. Seems like all the humor(if you call it that) is just sick sex and farting type stuff. Weird. It's like their demographic for this film was 7th Graders or something. Avoid.

spreedom
04-13-2013, 11:06 AM
Just seen the previews for "The Great Gatsby" looks like it could be epic.

I'm pretty hyped for it. Baz Luhrman's certainly an acquired taste but the guy was freaking made to direct Gatsby.

Why in the hell is it in 3D?

bellisimo
04-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Oblivion - my first IMAX experience - better to watch it with as little information as possible - Tom Cruise still can carry the lead roles - good flick

Hicks
04-13-2013, 04:02 PM
About to watch Jurassic Park in 3D. Just because.

Hicks
04-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Glad I went. It proved to be nastolgic (I was 9 when I saw it in theaters in June 1993), it was fun seeing it in a theater again (they really ought to do that more often with classic movies; it's different than at home), and they did a very good job with the 3D effect.

AesopRockOn
04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Funny Games - The original one from 1997 by Haneke. I had heard that this movie was terrifying. The first half isn't really, though it was fairly effective; it was uncomfortable and gross. During the second half, it becomes clearer what Haneke's intention is with the movie and it just becomes him masturbating to his not even sort-of clever ideas. It isn't even logical on a very simplistic level. I'm not sure how anyone could like the film. Not recommended to anyone, except Michael Haneke I suppose.

presto123
04-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Funny Games - The original one from 1997 by Haneke. I had heard that this movie was terrifying. The first half isn't really, though it was fairly effective; it was uncomfortable and gross. During the second half, it becomes clearer what Haneke's intention is with the movie and it just becomes him masturbating to his not even sort-of clever ideas. It isn't even logical on a very simplistic level. I'm not sure how anyone could like the film. Not recommended to anyone, except Michael Haneke I suppose.

Watch The Strangers instead.

Unclebuck
04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
42 - Jackie Robinson Story - Mixed thoughts on this movie. I just think it could have and should have been better. I mean the true story is a great great story amnd should be able to make a great movie, and while this movie was likable and entertaining it fell flat.

presto123
04-15-2013, 07:06 PM
The Exorcist(1973)

I hadn't seen this in forever so I thought I rewatch was in order. It had been so long that I actually forgot that a ouija board contributed to the possession. Still holds up really well and deserves it's status as a horror movie icon.

TheDon
04-16-2013, 07:35 AM
Evil Dead

really seems like they tried to cram the two evil dead movies into one evil dead movie, not scary just very gory and if you have seen the original evil dead movies and accepted/liked them for what they were you'll probably at least be entertained by this one.

Sookie
04-16-2013, 02:47 PM
I watched The Hunger Games last night since it came out on Netflix. I actually enjoyed it which. It was much more violent than I expected for what I thought was a kid's movie.

It was actually far more violent in the books.

I thought it was one of the better young adult books to movies series that's been around for a while. But it was still missing important elements. And as much as I understand the need to reduce the violence because of the target audience...I think they could have stayed closer to the books.

joeyd
04-16-2013, 11:54 PM
The Exorcist(1973)

I hadn't seen this in forever so I thought I rewatch was in order. It had been so long that I actually forgot that a ouija board contributed to the possession. Still holds up really well and deserves it's status as a horror movie icon.

I saw this just after it originally came out in the theaters. I was pretty young and we snuck in the theater despite us being under 17. We had to sneak in because in the case of this movie, they made an exception and treated the movie like it had an x-rating, and so they allowed no one under 17 in the theater, even though the movie was rated R. I think they substantially cut it for the re-release that was a more appropriate version for the R rating. Scariest movie I ever saw that was made before 1980. Actually, I still consider it the scariest movie I have ever seen because I can't think of an other flick that made me want to keep the lights on at night.

presto123
04-17-2013, 01:02 AM
I saw this just after it originally came out in the theaters. I was pretty young and we snuck in the theater despite us being under 17. We had to sneak in because in the case of this movie, they made an exception and treated the movie like it had an x-rating, and so they allowed no one under 17 in the theater, even though the movie was rated R. I think they substantially cut it for the re-release that was a more appropriate version for the R rating. Scariest movie I ever saw that was made before 1980. Actually, I still consider it the scariest movie I have ever seen because I can't think of an other flick that made me want to keep the lights on at night.

The flick that freaked me out at the movies as a kid was Burnt Offerings. Also the scene in Salem's Lot where the vampire with glowing eyes floats up to the window and is trying to get in. I agree with your thoughts on The Exorcist. That and Halloween are my top 2 of all time. Would really have to think to come up with a top 10 list. I've seen so many. The Shining would probably make it just for atmosphere.

joeyd
04-17-2013, 05:50 PM
The Shining would probably make it just for atmosphere. I agree about the Kubrick version with Nicholson. I just saw that on cable and it still holds up well. The inspiration for the movie was the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO. I stayed there one night, but the only horror I experienced was the rather small bed I had to sleep in.

Unclebuck
04-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Oblivion - my first IMAX experience - better to watch it with as little information as possible - Tom Cruise still can carry the lead roles - good flick

I did not see it in IMAX. But I was bored by this movie. Not much action and the story wasn't good enough to carry the movie. Liked the look of the movie and the gadgets, but was really bored

presto123
04-21-2013, 04:31 AM
I would die happy if I never saw Tom Cruise in movie again. Sorry, but like most things in popular culture right now in America. Over-rated.

Heisenberg
04-21-2013, 04:41 AM
I would die happy if I never saw Tom Cruise in movie again. Sorry, but like most things in popular culture right now in America. Over-rated.
He's still a quality leading man, he just hasn't done a good project in a good while. He absolutely killed it in Tropic Thunder and it was because he finally took a bit part instead of a Tom Cruise Vehicle. He was the only thing that made an otherwise awful Jack Reacher watchable. I haven't watched any of the Mission Impossible movies, but the last legitimately good movie he led was what, Collateral? That's almost a decade ago.

Will Smith's heading down the same route btw, becoming a bigger brand than he is talent. Say what you will about Cruise being overrated or whatever, but man, Will Smith is the safest actor in the world. Doesn't push a single boundary. At least Cruise has some range. Imagine if Smith had said yes to Django and it started this outstanding second act of his acting career. He's going to have to do something like that eventually, he's not getting any younger, he won't be the good looking affable dude forever. Not that it matters I guess, he's got more money than God so he can just retire at like 50.

Unclebuck
04-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Mi-4 was a really good moivie and Cruise was really good in that movie. He was the only good thing in Jack Reacher.

bellisimo
04-21-2013, 12:30 PM
I did not see it in IMAX. But I was bored by this movie. Not much action and the story wasn't good enough to carry the movie. Liked the look of the movie and the gadgets, but was really bored

I'm surprised to hear that you weren't a fan of the pacing of the movie. Usually if memory serves me right you don't have much trouble with movies that are a bit slower than 9 explosions per second.

I liked the way the movie developed - peeling it off one layer at a time as if it was a gift being unwrapped.

Hicks
04-21-2013, 12:50 PM
I think I'll wait and rent Oblivion.

Unclebuck
04-21-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm surprised to hear that you weren't a fan of the pacing of the movie. Usually if memory serves me right you don't have much trouble with movies that are a bit slower than 9 explosions per second.

I liked the way the movie developed - peeling it off one layer at a time as if it was a gift being unwrapped.

I had no problem with the pace. I was bored because nothing drew me into the story, or the characters, or the action

AesopRockOn
04-22-2013, 12:22 AM
He's still a quality leading man, he just hasn't done a good project in a good while. He absolutely killed it in Tropic Thunder and it was because he finally took a bit part instead of a Tom Cruise Vehicle. He was the only thing that made an otherwise awful Jack Reacher watchable. I haven't watched any of the Mission Impossible movies, but the last legitimately good movie he led was what, Collateral? That's almost a decade ago.

Will Smith's heading down the same route btw, becoming a bigger brand than he is talent. Say what you will about Cruise being overrated or whatever, but man, Will Smith is the safest actor in the world. Doesn't push a single boundary. At least Cruise has some range. Imagine if Smith had said yes to Django and it started this outstanding second act of his acting career. He's going to have to do something like that eventually, he's not getting any younger, he won't be the good looking affable dude forever. Not that it matters I guess, he's got more money than God so he can just retire at like 50.

And the worst thing about Smith (and his now ex wife) is that they named their kids after them and proceeded to try to make them into little superstars like them, destroying potentially normal lives for them forever. At least TC has the good sense to let little Suri's thetan level rise before sending her out into the world.

And yeah, Ghost Protocol was sick. Brad Bird FTW.

Natston
04-22-2013, 02:53 AM
Jurassic Park 3D

Unclebuck
04-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Saw a really good movie today. The Place Beyond The Pines.

Don't want to say too much about it, but I highly recommend it. Starts off kind of slow, but slowly draws you into the story.

JB24
04-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Oblivion is basically Moonwith a bigger budget. I enjoyed the latter more.

Heisenberg
04-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Oblivion is basically ... with a bigger budget. I enjoyed the latter more.

Yeah, that's what I figured from the trailers. I'm not a fan of the futuristic movies where everything looks like it was designed like Apple like Oblivion looks like.

presto123
04-23-2013, 02:33 AM
Mama(2013)

A nice little pleasant surprise as it's hard to find good spooky movies these days. Had some of my fav things I like in movies including ghost story, snowy roads, creepy kids, and cabin in the woods. With movies like Mama, Insidious, Sinister, Woman In Black.......the genre really seems to be looking up for the future.

The Conjuring in July is the next great hope for a modern classic. I heard it received record breaking test scores.

BRushWithDeath
04-23-2013, 08:57 AM
Yeah, that's what I figured from the trailers. I'm not a fan of the futuristic movies where everything looks like it was designed like Apple like Oblivion looks like.

Are we sure that in the future everything won't be designed by Apple?

Unclebuck
04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Wow, Michael bay apologizes for Armageddon. He has a few other movies and general style to apologize for next, but this is a start.

edit: wait, then he takes it back?

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/michael-bay-apologizes-making-armageddon-151600765.html

Michael Bay Apologizes For Making 'Armageddon'

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/SdVTlvkjHikOJdAP52P1YA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9NDg-/http://l.yimg.com/os/423/2011/11/09/48-et-logo_130057.jpg (http://www.etonline.com/)

He's responsible for movies includingBad Boys II and Transformers: Dark of the Moon, yet director Michael Bay thinks Armageddon is his worst film.
"I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks," the Pain & Gain director tells The Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/20/3353317/pain-gain-revisits-a-horrific.html). "It was a massive undertaking. That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could."

In case you forgot the 1998 blockbuster film starring Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler, Armageddon is about an asteroid the size of Texas that is heading to Earth in less than a month unless NASA's misfit team of deep-core drillers can save humanity

"It was terrible," Bay adds. "My visual effects supervisor had a nervous breakdown, so I had to be in charge of that. I called James Cameron and asked 'What do you do when you’re doing all the effects yourself?' But the movie did fine."

Saying of his critics, "People have always given me a hard time on my editing. But if you could do a graph on my movies, you would see how my editing has slowed down over the years. Bad Boys was my first movie, and we cut that quite fast. Back then it was very new for action. Now you see a lot of that imitated. Call it what you will. Yes, critics have given me s*** about it. But when you watch the Bourne Identity movies, they are cut way faster."

UPDATE: Bay, 48, is claiming that the Herald reporter misused his quotes to the paper. In a statement on his website, the director writes: (http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?10818-I-m-Proud-Of-Armageddon)

One press writer has gone too far in reporting false information. He has printed the bare minimum of my statement which in effect have twisted my words and meaning. I'm not in the slightest going to apologize for the third movie in my movie career, a film called Armageddon. On the red carpet for Pain & Gain some reporters asked me what are you apologizing for, and I said what on earth are you talking about?

What I clearly said to the reporter, is I wish I had more time to edit the film, specifically the the third act. He asked me in effect what would you change if you could in your movies if you could go back. I said, I wish we had a few more weeks in the edit room on Armageddon. And still today Armageddon, is still one of the most shown movies on cable TV. And yes, I'm proud of the movie. Enough said.

Trader Joe
04-23-2013, 04:18 PM
Saw Oblivion this weekend. Thought it was pretty crappy aside from the two chicks being kind of attractive and some cool gadgets. Story was crap and the plot "twists" were obvious from a mile away.

I remember turning to my buddy during the opening intro, and saying "There's no way they are wanting us to believe that humans built a gigantic space station while also fighting an intergalactic nuclear war in whcih another race got the jump on us are they?" Either way I knew that plot mechanic was doomed to fail either as a twist or if it was face value, and it did.

Sparhawk
04-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Wow, Michael bay apologizes for Armageddon. He has a few other movies and general style to apologize for next, but this is a start.

edit: wait, then he takes it back?

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/michael-bay-apologizes-making-armageddon-151600765.html

Michael Bay Apologizes For Making 'Armageddon'

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/SdVTlvkjHikOJdAP52P1YA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9NDg-/http://l.yimg.com/os/423/2011/11/09/48-et-logo_130057.jpg (http://www.etonline.com/)

He's responsible for movies includingBad Boys II and Transformers: Dark of the Moon, yet director Michael Bay thinks Armageddon is his worst film.
"I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks," the Pain & Gain director tells The Miami Herald (http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/20/3353317/pain-gain-revisits-a-horrific.html). "It was a massive undertaking. That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could."

In case you forgot the 1998 blockbuster film starring Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck and Liv Tyler, Armageddon is about an asteroid the size of Texas that is heading to Earth in less than a month unless NASA's misfit team of deep-core drillers can save humanity

"It was terrible," Bay adds. "My visual effects supervisor had a nervous breakdown, so I had to be in charge of that. I called James Cameron and asked 'What do you do when you’re doing all the effects yourself?' But the movie did fine."

Saying of his critics, "People have always given me a hard time on my editing. But if you could do a graph on my movies, you would see how my editing has slowed down over the years. Bad Boys was my first movie, and we cut that quite fast. Back then it was very new for action. Now you see a lot of that imitated. Call it what you will. Yes, critics have given me s*** about it. But when you watch the Bourne Identity movies, they are cut way faster."

UPDATE: Bay, 48, is claiming that the Herald reporter misused his quotes to the paper. In a statement on his website, the director writes: (http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum/showthread.php?10818-I-m-Proud-Of-Armageddon)

One press writer has gone too far in reporting false information. He has printed the bare minimum of my statement which in effect have twisted my words and meaning. I'm not in the slightest going to apologize for the third movie in my movie career, a film called Armageddon. On the red carpet for Pain & Gain some reporters asked me what are you apologizing for, and I said what on earth are you talking about?

What I clearly said to the reporter, is I wish I had more time to edit the film, specifically the the third act. He asked me in effect what would you change if you could in your movies if you could go back. I said, I wish we had a few more weeks in the edit room on Armageddon. And still today Armageddon, is still one of the most shown movies on cable TV. And yes, I'm proud of the movie. Enough said.

He needs to apologize for all the Transformer movies. And then step down on the Ninja Turtles. I don't have a problem with Bay movies that some have, but the Transformer movies are unwatchable. From what I hear about the Turtles and the casting, I'm not liking it one bit.

Suaveness
04-23-2013, 07:10 PM
I would like to point out that the Man of Steel trailer was freaking awesome.

Dgreenwell3
04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
He needs to apologize for all the Transformer movies. And then step down on the Ninja Turtles. I don't have a problem with Bay movies that some have, but the Transformer movies are unwatchable. From what I hear about the Turtles and the casting, I'm not liking it one bit.

I actually enjoyed the 1st and the 3rd films.

Sparhawk
04-24-2013, 10:35 AM
I actually enjoyed the 1st and the 3rd films.

Yikes. First was just terrible. 2nd one was so awful that I can't bring myself to even watch the 3rd.

Sparhawk
04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
I would like to point out that the Man of Steel trailer was freaking awesome.

Yes yes yes!!! Can't wait to see this movie!

So many good movies coming out this year. First up, Iron Man 3.

Dgreenwell3
04-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Yikes. First was just terrible. 2nd one was so awful that I can't bring myself to even watch the 3rd.

Megan fox, explosions, giant robots and freaking gigantic battle scene. I didn't watch it for its plot line, I watched it for boobs and explosions.

ilive4sports
04-24-2013, 08:29 PM
Megan fox, explosions, giant robots and freaking gigantic battle scene. I didn't watch it for its plot line, I watched it for boobs and explosions.
this exactly. when i go to see transformers, i go for the same thing and its exactly what i get. thats why i haven't hated the franchise like so many others have.

bellisimo
04-25-2013, 11:25 AM
this exactly. when i go to see transformers, i go for the same thing and its exactly what i get. thats why i haven't hated the franchise like so many others have.

I wanted more robots with characteristics and screen time which leads to an even bigger satisfying fight scenes - apparently we are still not at that stage yet in terms of production costs (based on what i read) thats why we only get the fighting scenes and not the character driven plot line....

Unclebuck
04-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Early reviews for Iron Man 3 are looking really good. with 45 reviews in 96% positive on Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/

MyFavMartin
04-25-2013, 04:03 PM
GI Joe 2 and it sucked.

Bball
04-25-2013, 07:42 PM
"Lincoln Lawyer"

Kinda cliched ultimately but it was a good role for Matthew McConaughey. It took me nearly the entire movie to 'get' the name of the movie tho. I thank the director for that late shot so I finally got it...

cdash
04-25-2013, 08:01 PM
GI Joe 2 and it sucked.

Couldn't be any worse than the first one :laugh:

presto123
04-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Kind of reluctant to even watch Rob Zombies new flick Lords Of Salem. I haven't seen all his movies but the ones I have(mainly the Halloween films) have been horrible. I've seen comments on Lords Of Salem that classify it as one of the worst ever. Zombie better be careful. Too many more crap movies and he might be out of chances. Probably better he stick to music anyway IMO.

AesopRockOn
04-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Early reviews for Iron Man 3 are looking really good. with 45 reviews in 96% positive on Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man_3/

I'm not sure it's possible to make an interesting Iron Man movie, but no one does action-comedy better than Shane Black.

Dgreenwell3
04-25-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm not sure it's possible to make an interesting Iron Man movie, but no one does action-comedy better than Shane Black.

Have you seen the first two?

Unclebuck
04-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Have you seen the first two?

I really liked the first one. Second one I'm sorry I wasted my time. Although Robert Downey Jr. is always good

Dgreenwell3
04-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I really liked the first one. Second one I'm sorry I wasted my time. Although Robert Downey Jr. is always good

I can concur on that.

spreedom
04-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Did you not see the first one? In terms of origin movies, I think only Batman Begins did it better.

AesopRockOn
04-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Don't get me wrong. The first two acts of the first Iron Man are some of the best comic book/superhero movie material we've ever had. It was fun and entertaining. But I don't think, at least as IM is shown in this universe, that he can be an interesting character for a full movie.

Whedon used him really well, and no one's better than RDJ. But with all these blockbuster movies going "darker", I'm worried that pressure will be put on Black to try to make him a brooding, compelling antihero figure instead of a sardonic, genius super-*******.

Bball
04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought Iron Man II was meh.... But then again I'm afraid I'm suffering from comic book movie adaptation fatigue.

Sparhawk
04-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Gonna see Iron Man in 3D this weekend.

Suaveness
05-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Iron Man 3

Really not thrilled how they used the Mandarin name. WTF. If you put that aside it was a pretty good movie, but the entire time I was sitting and waiting for the mandarin to show up. Am I so wrong? I assumed this wasn't how it was done in the comics....

But the acting and movie itself was quite good.

Wasn't a fan of the end credit scene...it was quite funny, but they didn't tease anything for upcoming movies, which was kinda crappy

Kegboy
05-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Iron Man 3

Meh. There's a lot of interesting choices, and yes, some good stuff, but little I'm keen on seeing again.

Also, is it just me, or did this seem like as much a sequel to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang as anything? Kind of like Verbanski directing Depp in The Lone Ranger, just looks like a Pirates movie with trains.

As for the Mandarin, I don't care that it's not true to the character, I just wish it wasn't such a blatant Ra's Al Ghul rip-off.

Hicks
05-04-2013, 09:52 PM
I liked Iron Man 3. Nothing I'm in love with, but I had a good time, and I liked it better than 2. I've never had much of an emotional investment with these Marvel movies, which is unfortunate, but aside from that I think they're well produced, likable, and fun.

Dgreenwell3
05-04-2013, 10:29 PM
They really showed the Extremis sequence perfectly.

joeyd
05-05-2013, 12:38 AM
I liked Iron Man 3. Great mix of humor and a more involved plot line. I know that it doesn't hold true to the comics, not sure how, but that's incentive for me to pull some old books out and find out.

Unclebuck
05-05-2013, 09:22 AM
I liked Iron Man 3 better than 2, but it was still just OK. Wasn't never completely engrossed in the movie, it was just sort of there and I was just sort of watching it and then it was over and have really forgotten everything about it.

Suaveness
05-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Peck hurry up and watch the movie so I can rant

Basketball Fan
05-05-2013, 08:02 PM
The Distinguished Gentleman- Okay movie an above average Eddie Murphy film.

But as far as more recent movies and not one from 21 years ago Olympus has Fallen back in March. Enjoyable action flick although I have to say I did find it racist but I digress.

AesopRockOn
05-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Iron Man 3
...Also, is it just me, or did this seem like as much a sequel to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang as anything?

How so? KK,BB was clever, funny, ironic, satirical, and emotionally poignant by the end.

Like Hicks and Buck (sort of) said, IM3 is a Disney movie: effective, generally entertaining, and empty. I'd review it but I don't know what to say. Ineffective use of a dragonperson?

avoidingtheclowns
05-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Also, is it just me, or did this seem like as much a sequel to Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang as anything?

How so?

Pretty sure the proper response was "Okay, you've got 30 of my ****ing seconds. Thrill me."

Sparhawk
05-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Iron Man.

Was pretty good. The Extremis sequences were pretty bad ***. See it again next weekend.

3D sucked though. I'm completely over 3D (only reason I saw it in 3D, was cause I had a Fandango gift card, so I figured why not). Only movie I'll watching in 3D in the future is the next Avatar when it'll be under water.

Not sure how I feel about the take on the Mandarin, but definitely fooled me. Was still pretty cool though cause you never see it coming. Not sure what's gonna happen in future movies since he got the shrapnel taken out. So does he still have the magnet/power supply in the hole of his chest or was that fixed too. Also, the shrapnel piece they took out was insanely huge. Way too big, c'mon, they should know better. And he destroyed all his suits. WTF

presto123
05-06-2013, 04:45 PM
A Place Beyond The Pines(2013) with Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. Great movie. A whopping 7.7 rating on IMDB.

Hicks
05-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I didn't quite get that part about Iron Man 3:

Was the idea of destroying all of the suits to show Pepper that he wouldn't be so obsessive about designing more and more suits? Because otherwise that seemed like a tremendous waste of resources. Hell, even still it is a tremendous waste of resources, with or without a purpose. Is he really that much of a child that he can't simply put the suits in the basement somewhere and stop tinkering? Wouldn't you want that kind of an army on hand in case of, I don't know, maybe another alien invasion like that one that gave him panic attacks? That was silly and needless to me.

AesopRockOn
05-06-2013, 07:16 PM
I'm really not that good at predicting stuff in movies, but I thought the twist was pretty obvious. :shrug:

Heisenberg
05-07-2013, 03:05 AM
Does Iron Man 3 explain why there's a gigantic bunny in Tony Stark's house in the trailer?

Suaveness
05-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Yes...that bunny is incredibly disturbing

Sparhawk
05-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Does Iron Man 3 explain why there's a gigantic bunny in Tony Stark's house in the trailer?

It was outside for when Pepper got home. It was a gift. Then they brought it inside. Maybe Jarvis in one of the suits brought it in.

Trader Joe
05-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Iron Man 3

Really not thrilled how they used the Mandarin name. WTF. If you put that aside it was a pretty good movie, but the entire time I was sitting and waiting for the mandarin to show up. Am I so wrong? I assumed this wasn't how it was done in the comics....

But the acting and movie itself was quite good.

Wasn't a fan of the end credit scene...it was quite funny, but they didn't tease anything for upcoming movies, which was kinda crappy

Remember at the moment, RDJ's contract is up with Marvel, etc. so they probably didn't want to over promise. He's not even required to do a second Avengers ATM

I don't understand the purpose of removing the arc reactor from his chest, I mean I get it, but I don't like it. It seemed needlessly over dramatic, oh now he's back to himself! Stupid and boring. We'll see how they handle the powering of the suit in future movies I guess

Trader Joe
05-07-2013, 11:06 AM
They really showed the Extremis sequence perfectly.

What do you mean by this?

Suaveness
05-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Remember at the moment, RDJ's contract is up with Marvel, etc. so they probably didn't want to over promise. He's not even required to do a second Avengers ATM

I don't understand the purpose of removing the arc reactor from his chest, I mean I get it, but I don't like it. It seemed needlessly over dramatic, oh now he's back to himself! Stupid and boring. We'll see how they handle the powering of the suit in future movies I guess

The point is that he doesn't need it anymore. He can still power his suits using the arc reactor without having it embedded in his chest. Keep in mind the villain from the first movie as well as the 2nd used the same reactors to power their suits. It's a way of saying he's finally able to let go of the past and move on. It doesn't mean he's done being Iron Man

And after further time away from watching the movie I like the ending now. But they usually use the ending credits to show a little of the next movie. It's not necessary that RDJr will be in the end credits. Very likely since the next movie is Thor and they have already introduced him, they don't need a tease for that. They will start to do that eventually, however, since Guardians of the Galaxy will come out at the end of next year. Plus the nice benefit is that they don't have to waste a cameo on Sam jackson.

Trader Joe
05-08-2013, 11:30 AM
The point is that he doesn't need it anymore. He can still power his suits using the arc reactor without having it embedded in his chest. Keep in mind the villain from the first movie as well as the 2nd used the same reactors to power their suits. It's a way of saying he's finally able to let go of the past and move on. It doesn't mean he's done being Iron Man

And after further time away from watching the movie I like the ending now. But they usually use the ending credits to show a little of the next movie. It's not necessary that RDJr will be in the end credits. Very likely since the next movie is Thor and they have already introduced him, they don't need a tease for that. They will start to do that eventually, however, since Guardians of the Galaxy will come out at the end of next year. Plus the nice benefit is that they don't have to waste a cameo on Sam jackson.

Has this ever been done in the Iron Man universe before?

Doug
05-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Iron Man 3

Really liked it. I don't really agree with the complaints. In fact, the more I reflect on the movie the more I like it. It was a bit deeper that a comic book movie. I think that's been the reason of some of the negative feedback. Avengers was pretty much non-stop action. IM3 dealt with more human oriented issues, more of a Tony Stark movie really. Not just a "put the suit on and blow stuff up movie", although lots of things do go boom.

It's hard to please everybody. Just blow stuff up and everybody complains about the lack of character development. Explore and develop the main character, and people complain that there wasn't enough action (even though there was plenty). I thought IM3 balanced it pretty well.

Anyway, I liked it.

Doug

Sparhawk
05-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Oblivion

Good grief was this movie painfully slow, dull and just terrible. I want my money back for having watched that.

LoneGranger33
05-13-2013, 09:20 PM
http://www.carid.com/images/spoilers/custom-spoilers/rear-spoiler-2.jpg

spreedom
05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Oblivion

Good grief was this movie painfully slow, dull and just terrible. I want my money back for having watched that.

Yeah... I'm a big Tom Cruise fan, but that was a horrible movie.

spreedom
05-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Not a movie I have seen recently (or at all, yet) but does anyone else think the marketing and release for Star Trek Into Darknesshasbeen really strange? First of all, they aren't telling you anything​ about the villain: Khaaaaaaaan!!!!! but they're also releasing it the week before Fast Six and The Hangover 3 (not to mention Disney's Epic) -- I think there's a very good chance that it's going to make less (at least domestically) that the last one. And that's never a good sign. I'll still probably​ see it, but considering how much I liked the first one, I'm not really at all excited for the new one.

presto123
05-14-2013, 02:18 AM
The fact that there is a Grown Ups 2 coming out just shows everything that is wrong with the movie industry now days.

AesopRockOn
05-14-2013, 03:05 AM
http://www.carid.com/images/spoilers/custom-spoilers/rear-spoiler-2.jpg

You know you just ruined Paul Walker's character arc, right?

Unclebuck
05-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Does seem to me that the next two weekends are loaded as far as new releases. I would expect the Disney pic to do really well as there is nothing at all out right now for families or kids.

Sollozzo
05-15-2013, 03:38 PM
The Great Gatsby. I loved the book, but thought this film was "meh". The imagery was cool at times, but overall it was overdone. I have nothing against Jay-Z or Beyonce', but playing their music in a film set in the 1920's was just bizarre. I felt that Tobey Maguire was dreadfully boring as Nick. Leo Dicap was good as Gatsby and I thought that the guy who played Tom turned in by far the best performance of the film. I just didn't feel that the movie did a good job of conveying the darker second half of the story and it all felt too rushed at the end. Also, the party seasons were grossly overdone and completely unrealistic. Overall it wasn't a film that I'll remember much about.

Kegboy
05-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Star Trek Into Darkness

I didn't love the reboot when I first saw it, and it hasn't aged well for me either. That, combined with troubling reviews, had me very apprehensive walking in. I really don't know how to discuss this movie without spoiling it out the wazoo, so I'll just say I was pleasantly surprised, and really enjoyed it.

Section 31!!! :happy:

Really, the more I think about it, this is the one movie that comes closest to DS9 sensibilities. I know I may have just set the bar impossibly high for some of you, but I feel they did a credible job of advancing themes of terrorism and militarism while keeping the (sadly, required) action movie template.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't plot holes galore, and maybe those will fester in time, like with it's predecessor. But they didn't bug me this time, perhaps because my expectations were so low.

Speaking of expectations, for the last two years I've been disbelieving of the rumors. No, they're not doing Khan, that would be ridiculously stupid on their part. JJ's not that dumb. And then, last week, I stumbled into a review that said, Yes, they did. My already low hype for the film fell through the basement. That, combined with shots in the commercials of the plated glass had visions of Blues Brothers 2000 dancing through my head.

But watching Sherlock take out the squad of Klingons, and then taking Kirk's beat down like a child's tantrum, an idea started to form in my mind. A great deal of Khan's superiority was based on myth. We never saw him conquer and rule half of Asia, or drag his people through 15 years of hell on Ceti Alpha 5. Now, he was brilliant, a tremendous orator, and a sadistic son-of-a-*****, but outside of some stilted scenes in Space Seed, we never truly saw the man in action.

When Marcus warps in, I started to get excited. Could we possibly see Kirk and Khan working together. Could Khan be an anti-hero that makes it through this film unscathed, but looms on the horizon as a deferred threat. Sadly, they didn't reach my dreams, with the Kirk/Khan buddy-cop drama resulting in a swim through space and a poorly lit Bourne fight in a hallway.

That brings us to the problematic third-act, and the already infamous Scene. From the second Kirk told Scotty to stun Khan, things became terribly predictable. I did like the choice to swap Kirk into the martyr's role, it played nicely with his talks with Pike. Of course, it didn't take long for a red klaxon to go off in my brain screaming TRIBBLE TRIBBLE TRIBBLE. :sigh:

Oh well. I'd like to think that I'm finally mellowing in my old age. I can see why people are furious, but I'm not really that offended. Star Trek isn't sacrosanct. Mel Gibson doing Hamlet doesn't reflect poorly on Olivier, and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Plus, I must say I can't wait for the Zachery Quinto version of the NBA's favorite internet meme.

:khan:

AesopRockOn
05-18-2013, 06:50 PM
Other than the title of the movie, which makes no sense and seems like it came from a Random Sequel Generator machine, Star Trek: Into Darkness is pretty good. The characters aren't great (Alive Eve really is just there for the shot in the trailer.), but at least they get to do something amidst all the millions of CG dollars. It kind of reminded me of the Avengers in that most everyone's role is well established, they fulfilled their tasks, get their little character moments, and things work out.

What I think makes these JJ Abrams movies work and why Super 8 had so many problems is that he isn't putting so much effort into this; he isn't trying too hard. There isn't much at stake, and Abrams is fine with that. He has that Spielberg quality where he can make big, expensive movies that are fine with wearing their hearts on their sleeves and their brains on the floor. I don't really care how the new Star Wars ends up, but it seems like having someone mostly detached from these franchises yields good results. (If you don't believe me, see season four of Community. Damn, it hurt to type that.)

Unclebuck
05-20-2013, 08:24 AM
Star Trek - It was pretty good, not bad, nothing about it was great. Not memorable. Felt the same way about Iron Man 3. well made, but maybe I have grown tired of these movies.

cdash
05-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Iron Man 3 was really ****ing stupid. Downey is great because he is Downey, and there were some funny moments in the movie, but I just didn't like it. Guy Pearce's villain was wildly, incredibly idiotic. A mix between the liquid Terminator in T2 and Wolverine.

cdash
05-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Fast 6

It was amazing, like the rest of the franchise. Bad acting was taken to a new level (thanks, Gina Carano!), absurdity was taken to a new level, cheesy one liners were taken to a new level, and the gang is back together! Couldn't be happier. I think The Rock really added a ton to this franchise.

ilive4sports
05-24-2013, 01:08 AM
Fast 6

It was amazing, like the rest of the franchise. Bad acting was taken to a new level (thanks, Gina Carano!), absurdity was taken to a new level, cheesy one liners were taken to a new level, and the gang is back together! Couldn't be happier. I think The Rock really added a ton to this franchise.
well now i need to see it.

spreedom
05-25-2013, 12:43 PM
A Place Beyond The Pines(2013) with Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper. Great movie. A whopping 7.7 rating on IMDB.

Just finished it this morning -- I enjoyed it, but I was expecting like, a Best Picture candidate and instead got a movie that wasn't at all what was advertised. Spoilers in white:

From the previews, this looked like it was going to be a cops-and-robbers, hero in pursuit of the villain type of drama. Instead, there were two action sequences, the lead actors only shared one two-minute scene together, and the second half of the movie was about two largely unlikable kids that weren't at all advertised as being part of the movie. I liked the parallels drawn between the two generations of the families. Overall I'd give it like a B or a B- just because I felt like it was sort of billed as a showdown between the two main guys and it never materialized. It actually reminds me a little bit of the bait-and-switch from Iron Man 3.
I was

Suaveness
05-31-2013, 10:48 PM
Watched Now you see me. I enjoyed it, it had a good plot and nice twist. I don't think it's as good as the other caper/magic movies (Prestige, Illusionist, Ocean's 11), but still good.

Sparhawk
06-01-2013, 11:58 AM
I really want to see This is the End.

Anyone go to see this movie yesterday?

Hicks
06-01-2013, 12:02 PM
I thought that wasn't out until the 14th?

Suaveness
06-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Comes out on the 12th, 2 days before Man of Steel.

IGN gave This is the End a glowing review, 8.5/10. Should be a good movie weekend.

I'm really looking forward to next weekend, Much ado about nothing comes out (directed by Joss Whedon and starring Nathon Fillion)...I will always watch Joss

spreedom
06-01-2013, 04:28 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Indianapolis, roughly 20 of your people clapped at the end of After Earth. Explain yourself.</p>&mdash; Zach Harper (@talkhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/talkhoops/status/340926398044721152">June 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

LOL<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

Sparhawk
06-01-2013, 04:47 PM
<iframe id="twitter-widget-0" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" title="Embedded Tweet" style="display: block; border-style: solid; border-width: 1px; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-top-left-radius: 5px; border-top-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-right-radius: 5px; border-bottom-left-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; box-shadow: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.14902) 0px 1px 3px;" width="500" height="186"></iframe>
LOL<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" style="display: none;"></iframe>

That's completely blank for me.

Sparhawk
06-01-2013, 04:47 PM

IGN gave This is the End a glowing review, 8.5/10. Should be a good movie weekend.

I'm really looking forward to next weekend, Much ado about nothing comes out (directed by Joss Whedon and starring Nathon Fillion)...I will always watch Joss

Oh snap, I thought it was this weekend since there was a review already.

Man of Steel is the next movie for me though.

spreedom
06-01-2013, 05:52 PM
That's completely blank for me.

Working now?

spreedom
06-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Just saw The Hangover 3... it wasn't as bad as advertised. An improvement over the second one for sure, but nowhere close to as good as the original. I'm becoming less and less a fan of Zach Galifianakis every time I see him, but overall it wasn't a bad movie. Probably like a 6/10.

AesopRockOn
06-02-2013, 03:29 AM
Just saw The Hangover 3... it wasn't as bad as advertised. An improvement over the second one for sure, but nowhere close to as good as the original. I'm becoming less and less a fan of Zach Galifianakis every time I see him, but overall it wasn't a bad movie. Probably like a 6/10.

I wouldn't judge a stand up comedian based on the movies that he or she is in. If Zach was putting out specials regularly, he'd be a top five active comic.

The movie itself isn't really worth hating; you just kind of sigh your way through it. It's a very typical R-rated comedy these days. Bad writing elevated just a little by the actors. (A 6 is about twice the score I'd give.) If they find a way to make a fourth one, I'm officially declaring it the Twilight of adult comedy franchises; it may already be.

spreedom
06-02-2013, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't judge a stand up comedian based on the movies that he or she is in. If Zach was putting out specials regularly, he'd be a top five active comic.

Why not? I only see him as an actor. I think his time has come and gone as an actor that I'll go and see movies for.

The movie itself isn't really worth hating; you just kind of sigh your way through it. It's a very typical R-rated comedy these days. Bad writing elevated just a little by the actors. (A 6 is about twice the score I'd give.) If they find a way to make a fourth one, I'm officially declaring it the Twilight of adult comedy franchises; it may already be.

I think I gave it a more generous rating because I mostly compared it to the second one (which is probably my least favorite movie that I've ever seen in theaters) and I went in with very​ low expectations.

SycamoreKen
06-02-2013, 09:50 PM
We watched Green Lantern after borrowing it from our niece. I know it wasn't a great movie, with the fastest flashback in the history of movies in the beginning, but we found it entertaining. If they are ever going to make a Justice League movie they will need to either reboot him or make a second one that is better. Of course the ever promised Wonder Woman movie might be a better idea and then fill in around like they did in the Avengers.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-05-2013, 10:22 AM

I'm really excited to see Whedonspeare too (the cast is nearly all Whedonverse alums, and I love Much Ado). I was somewhat annoyed to learn it isn't being released nationally until June 21st. Oh well.

Twes
06-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Million Dollar Baby

TinManJoshua
06-07-2013, 02:21 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Indianapolis, roughly 20 of your people clapped at the end of After Earth. Explain yourself.</p>— Zach Harper (@talkhoops) <a href="https://twitter.com/talkhoops/status/340926398044721152">June 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't know what he's expecting, but even if I love a movie I don't clap at the end when I watch it in theaters. Nobody involved with the production of the movie(aside from the distributor) is present to be ackowledged for their work, and I'm not going to recognize Kerasotes for carrying a movie. This isn't a play, or live event, so clapping is just a waste of energy, imo.

ilive4sports
06-07-2013, 03:47 PM
I don't know what he's expecting, but even if I love a movie I don't clap at the end when I watch it in theaters. Nobody involved with the production of the movie(aside from the distributor) is present to be ackowledged for their work, and I'm not going to recognize Kerasotes for carrying a movie. This isn't a play, or live event, so clapping is just a waste of energy, imo.
i think thats his point. Why did they clap?

TinManJoshua
06-07-2013, 05:03 PM
i think thats his point. Why did they clap?

His verbiage is awful. I thought he wanted to know why only 20 people in the theater liked the movie. I'd never thought about it being like, "why on earth are 20 people clapping?" or even, "why did roughly 20 people enjoy this movie?"

BRushWithDeath
06-07-2013, 06:20 PM
I think his point was that there couldn't be 20 people in the whole world who enjoyed that movie.

I'm basing this on the reviews I've read. I obviously haven't seen it.

A-Train
06-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Watching "Escape from Planet Earth" right now... (My son is nine)

Heisenberg
06-08-2013, 03:08 AM
I worked at a theater all through high school (98-02), so saw tons of movies for free. Put prints together on the big platters, spliced trailers at 3am, all that stuff. Oversaw, for lack of a better word, I told 13 year old to quiet down, you know what I mean, made sure the showings went according to plan etc etc. The only time I've ever seen applause at the end of a movie was at the end of the Robert Redford movie The Last Castle. That was weird, it was in and out inside of like 3 weeks, pretty sure it was a VFW group or something.

cdash
06-08-2013, 12:05 PM
I worked at a theater all through high school (98-02), so saw tons of movies for free. Put prints together on the big platters, spliced trailers at 3am, all that stuff. Oversaw, for lack of a better word, I told 13 year old to quiet down, you know what I mean, made sure the showings went according to plan etc etc. The only time I've ever seen applause at the end of a movie was at the end of the Robert Redford movie The Last Castle. That was weird, it was in and out inside of like 3 weeks, pretty sure it was a VFW group or something.

Pretty much any midnight showing I have gone to (Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Fast Six, Star Wars Episode I, etc) people clapped at the end. The only movie I think I've been to where there was clapping at the end that wasn't a midnight release was Passion of the Christ.

bellisimo
06-09-2013, 02:30 PM
After Earth - What a boring, horrible movie...didn't know it was directed by M. Night - should've checked to avoid it...

presto123
06-09-2013, 07:43 PM
At what point is M Night going to run out of chances? He did have something to do with that Devil movie from a few years ago though. Where they were stuck on an elevator. I didn't think that was too bad.

Pacergeek
06-09-2013, 08:06 PM
M Night has only had one decent film, the Sixth Sense, that ripped off an old "Are you afraid of the Dark" episode. Dude is horrible. He made the Happening....

presto123
06-09-2013, 08:37 PM
M Night has only had one decent film, the Sixth Sense, that ripped off an old "Are you afraid of the Dark" episode. Dude is horrible. He made the Happening....

Signs was good. At least I thought it was.

Stryder
06-09-2013, 09:36 PM
I liked Signs. Devil was good. My fav has been Unbreakable.

Hicks
06-10-2013, 12:11 PM
I liked Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs, though particularly the latter two have issues. I never even saw Lady in the Water or The Happening. Don't plan on seeing After Earth, either.

Peck
06-10-2013, 03:57 PM
I guess I am one of the few people on earth that really liked signs. Don't ask me why but I just loved that movie.

I saw epic over the weekend.

Meh, I would recommend watching it but I would recommend seeing it on netflix/dvd or blue ray.

Suaveness
06-10-2013, 09:50 PM
I still think he's a capable filmmaker but he's overthinking things too much. I think he needs to go back and look at what made his first couple movies good and find twists that are truly good.

Sparhawk
06-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Man of Steel gets a 9 out of 10 on IGN. You just know this movie is gonna rock!

Seeing it this Sat. Probably going to see it the following weekend too.

Hicks
06-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I'm excited for Man of Steel. Reviews I've seen so far range from 'It's good' to "It's really good'. Should be a good time.

neosmndrew
06-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Working my way through Any Given Sunday. Good so far.

Unclebuck
06-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Man of Steel will be the highest grossing film of 2013.

I will see it, but I must admit my tolorence level for super hero movies has been tapped out. No more

Sparhawk
06-12-2013, 09:07 AM

I'll be seeing it multiple times, so I'll be contributing to that. ;)

Dr. Hibbert
06-12-2013, 04:06 PM
And quietly, Mud will still be 1,000 times better than any of those blockbuster types.

ColeTheMole
06-12-2013, 06:01 PM
This is the End - Just what I expected, but 10x funnier.

SycamoreKen
06-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Watched Pirates of the Caribbean at work yesterday. (Don't ask why.) I had not seen it for a while and was trying to explain it to two ladies who had not seen it. It is a fun movie and a pleasant diversion. i also liked the lack of gratuitous foul language and over sexuality that seems to permeate way too many movies.

joeyd
06-12-2013, 10:27 PM
Moonrise Kingdom. Kinda quirky but I thought it was excellent. If you liked Big Fish you will probably like this film.

Suaveness
06-12-2013, 10:32 PM

No it won't. Iron Man 3 will still have more than it, and I'm willing to bet the 2nd Hobbit movie might as well.

presto123
06-13-2013, 12:51 AM
Cast Away with Tom Hanks. Can't believe he put on 50 pounds to shoot the first half of that movie. Anybody else afraid if you put on 50 pounds you might never get it off again?

Sparhawk
06-13-2013, 07:47 AM
Moonrise Kingdom. Kinda quirky but I thought it was excellent. If you liked Big Fish you will probably like this film.

Yep. Quirky, but I enjoyed it. Not sure I ever want to watch it again, but very good 1 time only movie.

Unclebuck
06-13-2013, 08:04 AM
And quietly, Mud will still be 1,000 times better than any of those blockbuster types.

I want to see that

Sparhawk
06-13-2013, 09:03 AM

Eh, I read the synopsis. Doesn't sound that interesting to me. Hope it's good though.

Dr. Hibbert
06-13-2013, 09:39 AM
I want to see that

I thought it was great. I don't think it will appeal much to the Superman crowd -- it's as slow as a slow burn gets. But it's amazingly well-written, well-shot, brings a world to life, and is just a really smart film overall. I could relate to a lot of it, anyway.

Hicks
06-13-2013, 02:13 PM
I like a good movie with a slow burn and I also like a well done comic book movie like the Dark Knight. I thinking declaring Mud '1,000 times better' comes off as pretty silly.

Suaveness
06-13-2013, 03:20 PM
First Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug trailer is out. Oh boy, this is going to be a great great one. I. cannot. wait. to see Cumberbatch as Smaug. Sherlock and Watson squaring off.

Dr. Hibbert
06-13-2013, 07:51 PM
I like a good movie with a slow burn and I also like a well done comic book movie like the Dark Knight. I thinking declaring Mud '1,000 times better' comes off as pretty silly.

Yeah...Man of Steel will be nowhere near TDK level. Anyone who has that expectation is going to be sorely disappointed.

Hicks
06-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Yeah...Man of Steel will be nowhere near TDK level. Anyone who has that expectation is going to be sorely disappointed.

I don't think it will be as good as TDK, either. But my point is the same.

Shade
06-14-2013, 03:24 AM
Just saw Man of Steel. I never thought I would say this, but there was a bit too much action, and it got a bit tedious after a while. At times I wondered if I was actually watching the real live action Dragonball Z movie. Somewhere, Michael Bay is jealous right now.

While I'm glad that not too much time was spent on the origin (c'mon, who doesn't know Superman's origin?), I felt that some of the characters weren't developed well enough.

And there's something that happens near the end that is going to shock some hardcore Superman fans.

Don't get me wrong, it's worth a watch, and it's much better than Superman Returns, but I'll bet it really drags out upon subsequent viewings.

B-

Stryder
06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Just saw Man of Steel. I never thought I would say this, but there was a bit too much action, and it got a bit tedious after a while. At times I wondered if I was actually watching the real live action Dragonball Z movie. Somewhere, Michael Bay is jealous right now.

While I'm glad that not too much time was spent on the origin (c'mon, who doesn't know Superman's origin?), I felt that some of the characters weren't developed well enough.

And there's something that happens near the end that is going to shock some hardcore Superman fans.

Don't get me wrong, it's worth a watch, and it's much better than Superman Returns, but I'll bet it really drags out upon subsequent viewings.

B-

Shade, curious, but what did you Give Superman Returns?

spreedom
06-14-2013, 11:12 AM

I will see it, but I must admit my tolorence level for super hero movies has been tapped out. No more

It will have to significantly exceed expectations for that to be possible. I thought it was going to as well, until Iron Man 3 had that monster opening weekend. But now, to predict that it will be the highest-grossing movie of the year is also saying that it will be one of the 5 highest-grossing movies ever. I don't think Superman has the box office caché to pull that off, even in 3D.

And I would like to say that I really wish that Singer would have gotten a chance to do a follow-up to Superman Returns. That is easily the best of the Superman movies so far (not including Man of Steel, which I haven't seen) and I think it got an unnecessarily bad rap from a lot of people, despite the fact that it made a ton of money and got very good reviews. But that obviously isn't going to happen.... just saying though. I enjoyed it.

Sparhawk
06-14-2013, 11:49 AM
It will have to significantly exceed expectations for that to be possible. I thought it was going to as well, until Iron Man 3 had that monster opening weekend. But now, to predict that it will be the highest-grossing movie of the year is also saying that it will be one of the 5 highest-grossing movies ever. I don't think Superman has the box office caché to pull that off, even in 3D.

And I would like to say that I really wish that Singer would have gotten a chance to do a follow-up to Superman Returns. That is easily the best of the Superman movies so far (not including Man of Steel, which I haven't seen) and I think it got an unnecessarily bad rap from a lot of people, despite the fact that it made a ton of money and got very good reviews. But that obviously isn't going to happen.... just saying though. I enjoyed it.

Superman Returns was easily the WORST Superman movie. He gave Superman a kid and made Superman into a stalker. Spacey's Luther was a really bad too and the chick that played Lois obviously didn't get the memo that Lois actually has strength and isn't a pushover. Routh was too skinny too.

spreedom
06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Superman Returns was easily the WORST Superman movie. He gave Superman a kid and made Superman into a stalker. Spacey's Luther was a really bad too and the chick that played Lois obviously didn't get the memo that Lois actually has strength and isn't a pushover. Routh was too skinny too.

Spacey's Luthor was 100x better than Hackman's. Spacey actually seemed evil, while Hackman seemed like a used car salesman constantly trying to swindle people out of their lunch money. There really weren't many scenes where he was much more that comic relief, along with his stupid sidekick, whatever his name was. AND he wasn't even bald.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzCD97iFI4ubfCHnLrQang22dwUf4UN 1whiKzdtvjHGSHus9Yl
Superman: The Quest for Volcano Insurance Refunds

And honestly, none of Returns' flaws bother me nearly as much as Superman flying around the earth counterclockwise to go back in time, the terrible effects in Superman III or IV (they were done cheaply then and look even worse now) or the bad slapstick from Superman II. To me, the only good one of the four originals was Superman II: The Donner Cut, but that even features some incomplete scenes without effects. I know Returns is a pretty big punching bag, but I can't even watch any of the older ones anymore because they're so bad. I'm hoping Man of Steel lives up to its billing as the first great​ Superman movie.

Hicks
06-14-2013, 12:27 PM
I liked Superman Returns. Didn't realize until later I was apparently almost the only one.

Shade
06-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Shade, curious, but what did you Give Superman Returns?

C-. I thought Spacey was excellent as Lex and Routh was a good homage to Reeves, but I didn't care for the kid and the movie was too slow. Almost exactly the opposite of MoS.

Shade
06-14-2013, 12:35 PM

I thought Iron Man 3 was the worst of the IM movies, but is still better than MoS. I think a major reason for that is the humor, which is almost non-existant in MoS.

Still, Superman is far more iconic than Iron Man, so who knows how the box office will pan out.

Shade
06-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Spacey's Luthor was 100x better than Hackman's. Spacey actually seemed evil, while Hackman seemed like a used car salesman constantly trying to swindle people out of their lunch money. There really weren't many scenes where he was much more that comic relief, along with his stupid sidekick, whatever his name was. AND he wasn't even bald.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTzCD97iFI4ubfCHnLrQang22dwUf4UN 1whiKzdtvjHGSHus9Yl
Superman: The Quest for Volcano Insurance Refunds

And honestly, none of Returns' flaws bother me nearly as much as Superman flying around the earth counterclockwise to go back in time, the terrible effects in Superman III or IV (they were done cheaply then and look even worse now) or the bad slapstick from Superman II. To me, the only good one of the four originals was Superman II: The Donner Cut, but that even features some incomplete scenes without effects. I know Returns is a pretty big punching bag, but I can't even watch any of the older ones anymore because they're so bad. I'm hoping Man of Steel lives up to its billing as the first great​ Superman movie.

To be fair to the original Superman films, the movies were made pre-Crisis, and the ability to fly around the globe and reverse time was very much in his skill set at the time (even though that particular ability really made no sense). The current Superman is far, far less powerful than the pre-Crisis one.

Dr. Hibbert
06-14-2013, 12:57 PM

B-

Zack Snyder is a huge give-and-take director. His films are all gorgeously shot, action is stunning, pacing is often good (I've heard way too frenetic for Man of Steel though). But in almost all of his films, it feels like the characters merely exist to perform the actions, and be in the set pieces. Watchmen was probably the closest he got to fleshing characters out (and he did a damn admirable job considering the density of the source material!) but all of his films otherwise are just lacking in the areas which make you actually care about what happens to the characters.

The thing is, with superhero movies, Nolan just set an impossibly high bar. You're damned if you do try to imitate it and end up inevitably falling short, and damned if you go another way and deviate from the things that made the Batman trilogy so dynamic.

Natston
06-14-2013, 12:57 PM
I liked Superman Returns. Didn't realize until later I was apparently almost the only one.

I liked it to some extent even though parts were unnerving, but unfortunately it is the movie that ****ed up X-men 3...

spreedom
06-14-2013, 01:23 PM
To be fair to the original Superman films, the movies were made pre-Crisis, and the ability to fly around the globe and reverse time was very much in his skill set at the time (even though that particular ability really made no sense). The current Superman is far, far less powerful than the pre-Crisis one.

That's fair... I still think it pretty much ruins the movie though.

spreedom
06-14-2013, 01:27 PM
]I thought Iron Man 3 was the worst of the IM movies, but is still better than MoS.[/B] I think a major reason for that is the humor, which is almost non-existant in MoS.

Still, Superman is far more iconic than Iron Man, so who knows how the box office will pan out.

Yikes. I liked IM3 better than 2, but that's still making my chances of enjoying MOS pretty bleak. I'm seeing it tomorrow evening... I hope it surprises me.

Hicks
06-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Saw Man of Steel a little bit ago.

I liked it. It's lacking in character (development) and the plot could have a little more depth to it, and I would also say the pacing felt . . . atypcial. It didn't feel as much like it had a traditional act structure. It all just kind of happens.

The good news is, what actually does happen . . . is pretty good! I knew going in there would be tons of action, some have said too much, but I didn't really get tired of the action, so that was fine. What is there is well done, though nothing that made me too emotional or too invested, but I was definitely 'with it' and entertained, and I'm glad I went.

Should be interesting to see where they take the sequel, and for that matter what to call it.

If they had found a way to make me love the characters, I think they could have tapped into my emotions and really made me feel invested, but this really didn't do that for me, which is why I can't call it great, but merely good.

I guess I'd give it a B+.

Shade
06-14-2013, 09:11 PM
Yikes. I liked IM3 better than 2, but that's still making my chances of enjoying MOS pretty bleak. I'm seeing it tomorrow evening... I hope it surprises me.
It isn't a bad movie. But Superman purists will definitely find a number of nits to pick.

Shade
06-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Saw Man of Steel a little bit ago.

I liked it. It's lacking in character (development) and the plot could have a little more depth to it, and I would also say the pacing felt . . . atypcial. It didn't feel as much like it had a traditional act structure. It all just kind of happens.

The good news is, what actually does happen . . . is pretty good! I knew going in there would be tons of action, some have said too much, but I didn't really get tired of the action, so that was fine. What is there is well done, though nothing that made me too emotional or too invested, but I was definitely 'with it' and entertained, and I'm glad I went.

Should be interesting to see where they take the sequel, and for that matter what to call it.

If they had found a way to make me love the characters, I think they could have tapped into my emotions and really made me feel invested, but this really didn't do that for me, which is why I can't call it great, but merely good.

I guess I'd give it a B+.

It's a very "summer blockbustery" movie. Entertaining for sure, but not much to get emotionally invested over.

vnzla81
06-15-2013, 01:04 AM
Man of steel was pretty bad, first time I felt like leaving the movie theater in fact I didn't leave the movie theater because my girlfriend made me stay, too long, some of the special effects are like from the 80's, so disappointed.

presto123
06-15-2013, 04:12 AM
Man of steel was pretty bad, first time I felt like leaving the movie theater in fact I didn't leave the movie theater because my girlfriend made me stay, too long, some of the special effects are like from the 80's, so disappointed.

I'm not a fan of comic book movies period. I know that's not a popular opinion around here so I will say very little. Surprised your comment on special effects. One of my main complaints about today's movies is too much obvious CGI and too many explosions for the sake of explosions. They make serious money though so I see why they crank them out left and right.

Stryder
06-15-2013, 09:46 AM
My 2.5 cents.

Really liked Man of Steel. All you nitpickers are just whining. This is a summer blockbuster movie. What else did you expect?

1. This ain't the Superman of old.
2. CGI was fine. Loved the fights as well as the Krypton sequences.
3. Cavill did a fine job.
4. Don't whine about the un-Superman-ly act. He did what was needed. And his immediate reaction upon doing so? That's the important part.
5. Thought the intertwining story line was great. I'm a sucker for stories from Smallville.
6. As others mentioned previously, character development was not fleshed out. But one good thing is that we know who these characters are.
7. It was like comic book Supes meets movie Supes meets animated series Supes.
8. For me...Dark Knight > Man of Steel > Iron Man

Suaveness
06-15-2013, 12:27 PM
I enjoyed it quite a bit. I thought the end dragged a bit too long as well, but the rest of it was pretty good in my book. I really enjoyed seeing Krypton and I thought the buildup to being Superman was pretty good. I thought character development was fine honestly.

And I love Hans Zimmer's score, just terrific.

Sparhawk
06-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Man of Steel was pretty good.

All that action, it was about damn time!!! Cavill is the new Superman. Really played the part superbly.

spreedom
06-16-2013, 02:01 AM
I'm really torn on Man of Steel. I thought Cavill was great when he actually got to do something, but there was way too much mass destruction for the movie to have any gravity. Like Supes bent over backwards to save some of the soldiers in Smallville, yet he and Zod smashed through like 100 skyscrapers in Metropolis, seemingly killing hundreds of thousands of people in the process without a single ounce of sorrow or regret by any of the characters. They're still rebuilding the World Trade Center after 9/11... in Metropolis, they have decades upon decades of work to do. What is he supposed to defend in the sequel? He did a terrible job protecting Metropolis the first time around.

Snap take: Superman Returns was better. Superman had more defining characteristics, was a lot closer to the character I remember from the comics/cartoons as a kid, and jesus... compare the two scenes where Metropolis is under attack. Routh's Superman was in a frenzy trying to protect every single person, whereas Cavill's Superman was punching Zod through buildings like they were dominoes.

The visuals were spectacular, though, and I think this version of Superman is a much more natural foil for a cynical Batman that secretly has reservations about the amount of power Superman could use if he went sideways. I would love if the Man of Steel sequel was centered around Lex Luthor leading the relief efforts in helping to rebuild Metropolis and using the publicity against Superman. Could be a great angle, especially if they somehow wove Bruce Wayne into the mix. As many things as I didn't like about this movie, one thing I will say is that it really sets the table, potentially, for some compelling sequels and shared-universe movies.

Heisenberg
06-16-2013, 02:48 AM
I've seen some online speculation that the Metropolis destruction could potentially play into Man Of Steel 2 where Lex Luthor does a ton of rebuilding and whatnot and gets all sorts of goodwill and it leads to his rise. Then he could publicly paint Superman as something of a villain while he keeps his nefarious world domination plans a secret.

Y'know, or not at all.

Heisenberg
06-16-2013, 03:14 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_yseYEtQoJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Dare you not to laugh at that. Put these guys out to pasture already.

Sparhawk
06-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah, the ending to Man of Steel seemed a bit strange. Supes rode his bike to work, and everything we saw, which wasn't much, seemed like the city was back in order. Wouldn't there still be chaos? Wouldn't there still be a lot of debris from falling buildings that people shouldn't breathe? I know it's not real, but I'm sure they wanted to ground it in reality as much as possible.

I still liked it 1000X's better than Superman Returns.

Hicks
06-16-2013, 12:14 PM
I guess the destruction didn't bother me because:

A) This isn't a veteran Superman, this is literally his first time trying to be a hero, so he's clumsy and inconsiderate compared to what he will become. (The Superman in 'Returns' was a pro who had done that stuff many times before for years).

B) I assumed those buildings were evacuated because I thought not everyone was as stupid as the Daily Planet staff and just chilling out in a skyscraper within viewing distance of an alien ship drilling into the earth while its sister ship did the same on the other side of the world. AKA, most folks, I'd think would get the **** out of the immediate dodge long before that.