PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35

Hicks
07-23-2012, 10:30 AM
God, the more I watch that last clip the more I like it. :laugh:

Unclebuck
07-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Man, I could go on and on about TDKR and the little things I liked about it. I thought it was a great movie and any quibbles I have are basically minor in the grand scheme of things. One thing that is cracking me up is how the fanboys are so upset about the movie. They didn't want Nolan to actually create something, they wanted him to slavishly reproduce what they had seen in the comics. Did they not learn from Watchmen. We all saw how that turned out. A couple of thoughts:

The two major fights between Bane and Batman. I noticed some complains about how Bats beat him the second time by basically doing the same thins, going mano a mano. BIG dif in both fights. In the first fight he's out of shape and most importantly, not in the right frame of mind. Batman thought he could go on auto-pilot (cough-cough), show up and smack Bane around. Bear in mind. He had never come up against someone like Bane. I think I heard a critic likening it to Rocky fighting Clubber Lang the first time when he'd just been coasting fighting average guys. The he meets Clubber and gets overwhelmed. I think it's an apt comparison. In the second fight Batman had obviously been honing his body after his beating. His will drove him as he fought to live (One of the themes of the movie, I think), as opposed to being willing to die for the city. The second fight, to me, felt more deliberate, while the first one felt like he was surprised and fighting more like a desperate animal with no real tactics.

The knife in the gut. I thought that was a nice touch in a sense of tying back to the second film where he redesigns his suit, despite being warned he'll be more vulnerable to knife attacks. I didn't take it for anything more than a psuedo metaphorical knife in the back, so to speak, from someone he trusts. She's not trying to kill him. I think she did it for the shock value to punctuate what she was going to tell him.

The Joker. Even if Heath was alive, the Joker would want no part of the situation in Gotham. Joker wanted anarchy. He wanted Chaos. Think about it. He would want NO part of a militaristic lock-down of a city: Rules on who lives and who dies. Rules on who goes where. Bane upended the social order, but instituted his OWN highly restrictive order. The Joker would have wanted nothing to do with that. So for those of you who would have liked to have seen the Joker in this, it just doesn't fit, in my book.

I loved the ending. Batman became the symbol he always wanted him to be. Bruce, after using his device to erase Catwoman's past, gives both of them a clean slate to become new people and live their lives. I like to think that Nolan was being a little clever setting the little cafe in France. (A little nod to the French Revolution, which the situation is Gotham had a little sideways analogy.) It wouldn't be fitting for Bruce to die. Once again. Think back to the last movie. He wanted a day when the world no longer needed Batman. His dream was to someday live his own life. His motivation was to save Gotham. Is it that terrible that Nolan felt Bruce should be rewarded with his dream? Bruce wanted Batman to be a symbol of hope. Bane wanted to use hope as a carrot to help crush the spirit. Batman felt hope was something people could use to fight for a better life. Why would he die at the end and not be an emblem of hope being rewarded? Made sense to me. Thematically, every movie was tied to the same thing: The words of Thomas Wayne- Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up. Wouldn't it have spit in the face of that to have him die? I don't think it could have ended any other way. I think you have to take a little well earned leap of faith that Bruce escaped off camera due to some kind of preplanned for something weird happening where he had to escape the Bat lickety-split.

I could go on and on, but I stop there.

BTW, I saw the movie in the State museum, which from what I understand, is the only, TRUE IMAX theater in the state. If you can, see it there.

is that better or different from IMAX at Hamilton 17?

AesopRockOn
07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I didn't set myself up to be disappointed, and I'm certainly not reveling in it. Of course I *wanted* the Joker in this movie, but only in a fantasy world where Heath Ledger didn't die kind of way. As I thought I had already explained in a previous post, I knew for a long time they weren't going to put the Joker in this movie, and more recently I knew they weren't even going to mention him, and I knew this was because of Nolan's emotions surrounding the loss of Heath Ledger. That's all fine and good. Sad for the narrative, but completely understandable.

But that's not a strike against the film in terms of why it disappointed me. I completely understand why it was the way that it was. That's okay.

In a more general, let's not focus on the Joker sense, this isn't really the movie I wanted it to be, but please don't tell me what to watch. That's kind of insulting.

And, again, it's not a criticism of the movie, it's just a frustration in general.

Like it says pretty straightforwardly in my post, the sentiments are NOT directed are you specifically. I read your post and acknowledged that you made your frustrations clear. That paragraph you quoted ("again, not Hicks, the plural y'all of the Internet") was addressing some of the criticisms of the movie I've seen from critics and fans alike saying that the movie was lacking because "the Joker's presence was missing." Which is a very silly way to evaluate the movie. No need to be insulted as your nominal inclusion in the post was only to demonstrate that that paragraph about the Joker had nothing to do with your post.

Looking at the part you quoted, I think the first sentence could have been clearer, like "I'm not accusing you of this at all, but some fans" etc.

AesopRockOn
07-23-2012, 04:54 PM
He's not dead. The whole point of the movie was that Bruce needed to find a way to enjoy life. I don't see how you could love the entire movie but prefer that he die. Wasn't that the whole point of the movie? That he should not ​die? That is the most fitting ending, both for this movie and the trilogy.

Firstly, it's a pet peeve of mine with filmmakers having their cake and eating it too. They want all of the emotional payoff of the huge sacrifice and then the happy teaser of the main character being alive. It's cliched and tacky. From a moviemaking standpoint, it's much braver and more interesting to kill him. It's predictable and lazy to do what they did (or may have done). Nolan's epilogue should be smarter than Alfred's fantasy.

Second, your argument is a little confusing to me. I don't understand what you mean by the whole point of the movie is for him not to die. I feel like this isn't what you mean. He's trying to save his city that he has an irrational affection for, and he wants to ultimately provide a symbol for its saving so that ordinary people can feel compelled to keep it safe. I think. For me, it's one of the least interesting things about the trilogy. That said, it seemed like he could accomplish both things by sacrificing himself and blowing up the bomb on his own away from everyone else. It's simple and it's clean. (Though as Hicks mentioned, those orphans are about to get Fukushima'd.) It's not Nolan trying to outfox everyone with complex morality and ultra-logic.

Lastly, that shot of Hathaway and Bale all happy in Italy, sipping coffee like the happiest white people on vacation ever, just looks awful. They look like the new Banana Republic couple. It looks boring, stupid, and lazy. It was very Inception-y in its execution and looks like it's from a different movie.

Constellations
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
The Dark Knight Rises. WOW. 10/10

AesopRockOn
07-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Insomnia? The same Insomnia with a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with 100% of Top Critics, and a 78 Metascore?

My God, you're right! I had forgotten that RT scores determine everything. I'll immediately go and throw away my Godfather DVDs and buy a couple more copies of the first two Toy Stories.

cdash
07-23-2012, 05:37 PM
My God, you're right! I had forgotten that RT scores determine everything. I'll immediately go and throw away my Godfather DVDs and buy a couple more copies of the first two Toy Stories.

Hey, just saying the movie was reviewed well by an overwhelming majority of critics, so using it against Nolan seems a bit odd, no?

spreedom
07-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I saw TDKR last night at midnight, and again this morning, and I'm having a hard time talking myself into thinking that I liked it.

I just wanna say, I saw it again on Saturday evening in an IMAX theater and really enjoyed it. It's a worthy finale for the trilogy, though I still wish they'd keep going. Bale is absolutely perfect as Batman.

AesopRockOn
07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey, just saying the movie was reviewed well by an overwhelming majority of critics, so using it against Nolan seems a bit odd, no?

The fourth Indiana Jones has a 77% on RT. So the critic aggregates are not really something I consider too carefully, especially if I've seen the movies in question.

All said, Insomnia seems to be Nolan's weakest, Punch Drunk Love PTA's. (Though it depends if you include Hard Eight.) I think one director's catalogue is better than the other's, and his worst is better than the other's worst. Agree to disagree. FWIW, Nolan would be in my top 5 working guys right now.

cdash
07-23-2012, 08:31 PM
The fourth Indiana Jones has a 77% on RT. So the critic aggregates are not really something I consider too carefully, especially if I've seen the movies in question.

All said, Insomnia seems to be Nolan's weakest, Punch Drunk Love PTA's. (Though it depends if you include Hard Eight.) I think one director's catalogue is better than the other's, and his worst is better than the other's worst. Agree to disagree. FWIW, Nolan would be in my top 5 working guys right now.

It's a tool. Not definitive, but useful. Usually if a movie is 90% or better, it was pretty decent. That said, it's my least favorite of Nolan's fare, so I personally have no issues using it against him. I prefer Nolan's fare, but have nothing against PTA. Like I said earlier, I love There Will Be Blood.

AesopRockOn
07-23-2012, 09:53 PM
It's a tool. Not definitive, but useful. Usually if a movie is 90% or better, it was pretty decent. That said, it's my least favorite of Nolan's fare, so I personally have no issues using it against him. I prefer Nolan's fare, but have nothing against PTA. Like I said earlier, I love There Will Be Blood.

It's a really good tool that I think has become overused and partially corrupted. I mean, they shut down the TDKR comment section because users were sending reviewers death threats. It's gotten out of hand.

Not in relation to CN vs. PTA, but in general, I just try not to use it because of how so many people (Not saying you, cdash, though specifying that I'm not accusing a particular user of something hasn't gone too well for me lately.) act like it's the end-all, be-all of a movie's worth; it wasn't like that a couple of years ago.

I find it's much better personally to find two or three reviewers/critics that you respect, try to temper your expectations, and form your own opinion in a chilled out way. Of course, I know this is the serious business of the Internet and that's not how it works. /smallrantoff

joeyd
07-24-2012, 12:52 AM
The more time that I've had to think about it, the more I like TDKR, and agree that it was a worthy finale to the trilogy. It also made me want to go back and watch Batman Begins, so I did, and I found that I liked the movie much better having watched it with the different perspective of having seen where Nolan ended up going with the next two films.

Heisenberg
07-24-2012, 02:32 AM
Anyone catch the teaser for Man of Steel yet? There are two versions of it, one has Russell Crowe narrating and it is pretty epic. Nolan's name being attached even as a producer has me excited for this movie, and I have never given a **** about Superman.

It looks surprisingly solid. Course, trailers are trailers. We've obviously had plenty of Superman origin stories, but never one where he's got to come to grips with what he is and wage how to use it. Maybe in Smallville I guess, but I never watched that show. It's going to be at least two movies I assume, and this is how you make it "fresh." I'm not the biggest fan of Nolan in the world but I do think he does as good a job as possible with grounding superhero myths in reality as much is reasonably possible. That's been by FAR my biggest complaint with comic book flicks, so many are just live action cartoons outside of Nolan's Batman trilogy, whatever you think of it. The Avengers is a fun movie and very enjoyable, but you just sit down and have some popcorn and that's that. Then there's Spiderman and X-Men in their make believe realities. That's fine and all, but it's a lot more enjoyable, for me at least, watching those movies when they hold on to some semblance of real life.

Constellations
07-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Spider-Man (2002)

Skaut_Ech
07-24-2012, 08:41 AM

Here's part of article on TRUE IMAX vs Digital IMAX. (The top of the article references part one of the article) More importantly, it gives a list of all of the theaters in the country with IMAX. When you go down the list, look for theaters that list IMAX 1570. (http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm) That's what you want. I don't know where Hamilton and the other ones in town fall in size/ratio, but in screen size, etc, I could tell a difference in visual impact at the State Museum.

State Museum is the only one in the state with true IMAX, using the 6 stories high screen and proper width. Hamilton 17, from my understanding is a converted IMAX. I saw a film there and enjoyed it, but I enjoyed downtown Indy's more. I was actually going to drive up north till I happened to read this article literally minutes before going out the door.

Here's a little snippet from the article:

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ68ECE699-550x256.jpg (http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ68ECE699.jpg)

Unclebuck
07-24-2012, 08:50 AM

State Museum is the only one in the state with true IMAX, using the 6 stories high screen and proper width. Hamilton 17, from my understanding is a converted IMAX. I saw a film there and enjoyed it, but I enjoyed downtown Indy's more. I was actually going to drive up north till I happened to read this article literally minutes before going out the door.

Here's a little snippet from the article:

http://www.slashfilm.com/qa-imax-theatre-real-imax-liemax

http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ68ECE699-550x256.jpg (http://bitcast-a-sm.bitgravity.com/slashfilm/wp/wp-content/images/ZZ68ECE699.jpg)

Thanks.

I don't think Hamilton 17 is a converted IMAX. At least not in the sense that they re-did a regular theater that was already built and retrofitted it to IMAX standards. The one at AMC Traders Point is converted IMAX - I remember sitting in that theaterwhen it was just a regulkar theater. All they did was increase the screen size and upgraded sound system.

But the Hamilton 17 IMAX was built to be IMAX. But certainly appears to be digital IMAX

Hicks
07-24-2012, 11:19 AM
I just wanna say, I saw it again on Saturday evening in an IMAX theater and really enjoyed it. It's a worthy finale for the trilogy, though I still wish they'd keep going. Bale is absolutely perfect as Batman.

I've seen it twice in a normal theater, and I think next week I'm going to go see it in IMAX because of all that was shot that way. How much did the format add to the experience?

I only saw TDK in IMAX once, but it was at the State Musuem and I felt like the picture was dark. If I see TDKR in IMAX, it won't be "true IMAX" but it'll be like the IMAX you see over at Hamilton shopping center or whatever it's called over off of I-69. What kind was it when you saw it?

Hicks
07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Thanks.

I don't think Hamilton 17 is a converted IMAX. At least not in the sense that they re-did a regular theater that was already built and retrofitted it to IMAX standards. The one at AMC Traders Point is converted IMAX - I remember sitting in that theaterwhen it was just a regulkar theater. All they did was increase the screen size and upgraded sound system.

But the Hamilton 17 IMAX was built to be IMAX. But certainly appears to be digital IMAX

Yeah, from what I remember Hamilton's IMAX screen is the proper aspect ratio (or if not, damn close; much more box-shaped than widescreen), but I think the only thing you give up by going there is it's not as big of a box as the one at the State Musuem. I want to say it's roughly 1/2 or 2/3 the size of the 'true IMAX' size screen. Hopefully someone knows and can clear this up.

Trader Joe
07-24-2012, 12:18 PM
I don't think I need to put this spoilers, but just RE: The conversation The Joker being in this movie, would it have made it better?...could you guys imagine what that would mean to Batman? Having to do battle with this version of Bane AND this version of the Joker? Good Lord. I don't think Batman would have won.

Will do a full review in spoilers here in a second.

Trader Joe
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Ok so here are my thoughts briefly before I dive into spoilers. TDKR is just a totally different movie than TDK...duh, obviously, but just theme wise Nolan is taking it in a whole new direction. All three of the movies seem to deal with order in one way or another Begins is a lot about Bruce Wayne bringing order to his own life. TDK is a lot about the Joker bringing Chaos to order when a lot of ways, the Joker's chaos is so orderly, he is the biggest planner of all while criticizing everyone else for their plans, his order is chaos in a way. Here in TDKR, we have Bane dealing his own form of order by inducing chaos and calling it freedom, when really all he had created was a small militaristic state. If I to break down the films into one major, over simplified theme, it might be, What is order? What does order mean? Who is orderly and who is not? I feel like you could write a fairly interesting paper on the subject of order in the 3 movies on both a micro and macro scale, but maybe that would only interest me.

Anyway, I'd say the movie was good, not great, but a fitting epic end to the trilogy. Now let's look at some of my thoughts that deal with spoilers.

The first 1/4 of the movie is too fast, the middle 2/4 is too damn slow, and the last 1/4 is perfect. Here's what I mean for each one, let's look at the introduction of John Dagget or whatever the **** his name was. Here is a guy we are supposed to fear, and loathe, but why? He wants to take over Wayne enterprises, but why? Who is he? Where did he come from? And didn't they already use this plot point in Batman Begins? Oh wait...now he's dead? Why was he even here? I get in the end he was just Bane's public face for a while until Bane was ready to burst into Gotham, but the whole thing felt a little stupid to me and way too rushed. So rushed that when the scene of Alfred explaining to Bruce that Dagget had a relationship with Bane, I thought to myself who the hell is Dagget? Oh he must have been one of those guys from the start of the movie. Could have taken some of the meat from the middle and put it here and had a better flushed out film IMO.

In the middle it got a little bloated, did I really need to see Bruce try to climb out of the damn pit twice before he figures it out? That just seemed like a waste. It was pretty clear to anyone with a brain that the rope tugged one if you tried to jump with it on. Just move on already. It felt a little bloated to me, the whole pit thing did. A little heavy handed.

I thought the writing at times was pretty much poop. Especially most of the lines given to Hathaway seemed to be throw away one liners. "Do those heels make it hard to walk? I don't know...do they?" Come on a Nolan movie should be better than that IMO, casual one liners worked with the Joker from time to time alongside his chaotic and extremely disturbing rants, but they felt like herp derp throw away fodder for the eye candy in the spandex suit here. I mean yeah Hathaway looks bonerific in this suit, and she does blow up Bane and save Batman, but couldn't anyone have done that really? Sometimes I felt like she was just here to be hot and serve as Batman's tail once he retired in the final France scene, yes an oversimplification of her character, but I just felt like she got a lot of throw away lines. She and Cotillard do look great through out the film though, so yeah, way to stay in shape ladies.

Oh also, a big screw you, to the ******* who originally listed Cotillard when she was cast Talia Al Ghul on IMDB, it was probably two years ago, but it was there for a couple months. Talk about just waiting on a plot twist for most of the movie...that was me.

While I'm kind of on a roll of things that the movie didn't do well, let me deal with some of the plot points I misliked, this movie asked us to suspend disbelief quite a bit even leading up to Bruce's eventual survival of the nuke. Here's a big question, how in the **** does a busted up, worth nothing Bruce Wayne, get back into a locked up Gotham? I mean come on, you couldn't have thrown a 30 second scene in there to clear this up? It stuck in my craw, but like all the plot foibles I was able to get over it even if it still could have been answered IMO. The sucker in me liked to believe that Alfred played some role in getting Bruce back in the city. I would have liked to have maybe had a slight understanding of how Bane knew who Batman was, but I guess Rha's telling them is as good an explanation as any. Also, I have a hard time accepting that Bruce Wayne would keep all his money in one big pot that could be trained via a single finger print at the stock exchange...but I'll admit it's an interesting take on a robbery.

Also, I thought the sound mixing for Bane's voice was inconsistent. Super loud most of the time and then all of a sudden he went quiet for a couple lines and you'd miss something. Personally, I could have gone for less dialogue from Bane, I wasn't expecting him to so damn preachy, but it was still OK overall.

So now what did I like, well I thought this was maybe Bale's best job as Bruce Wayne. I thought in TDK that Bale was carried by Ledger at times, and while he was very good in Begins, I just thought this was Bale's best moment. He truly started to become one with the character, and while the idea of a 4th movie set in this universe that explores JGL's batman would fascinate me, I do have to give Bale a nod after this movie that it would be tough for me to ever see another actor being "Batman" in my eyes.

I thought the movie tried very hard to be better than TDK, even if it was different, I don't think it succeeded, but I thought it tried and I must give credit for that. It lived up the epic ending most were looking for, and it had some truly memorable scenes. Alfred's scene in the garden of Wayne manor as he tearfully apologizes to Bruce's parents when he thinks Bruce is dead is just flat out heartbreaking. You feel so much for Alfred at the point and it was very well done. I thought the first chase scene where Batman comes back after 8 years was pretty awesome to.

The Bat/Bane fights, both were well done, but that first one...man, that was so me emotionally charged stuff. Watching Batman...knowing, just knowing, he's not going to win this fight. Bane has him wearing himself out, and all of Batman's tricks fail, the dark, the smoke, all of it...just fails. You could see a Batman IMO that was used to fighting the Joker and even the scarecrow, guys that in a fist fight he could toss around like rag dolls, and so at this point Batman is just a thinking man, but he's not the fighter Bane is, and that is what he learns in the prison. When Bane breaks Batmans cowl and you hear the sinkening crunch, I honestly wondered for a moment if that was how they were going to kill Bruce Wayne and then have JGL pick up the Batman mantle the rest of the movie. I seriously thought Bane was maybe going to pound Wayne's head in for a brief, brief moment. That was a very powerful scene, as emotionally taxing as just about any scene you can find in the trilogy.

I liked the epilogue, though I think it can be interpreted different ways. I like the Bruce Wayne lives and learns to enjoy life angle. Though if they were going to get all happy go lucky on us, give that big payoff of JGL in the Batman suit either swooping in to talk to Gordon or standing watch over Gotham. I could have really gone for that I think, but I can understand why they chose to cut it where they did.

Speaking of Gordon, he's kind of the only guy that doesn't get a big payoff, yeah he gets a new bat signal, but his wife still left him and he still doesn't know if Bruce is alive or dead for sure. Kind of surprised Nolan didn't throw in a scene of Gordon re-uniting with his family since he went for the everyone is happy ending.

Also, yes, I think there will be a 4th movie in this universe, no I don't think Nolan will direct it, and if Bale is in it at all I think it will be just a brief cameo if anything. I fully expect to try and cash in on the cow and JGL seems like a good enough lead to maybe make it happen. It would certainly be a big new chance on a super hero story, and it would have to be the right director other than Nolan for it to have any chance of being good, but there is too much money here IMO to not have someone try to do it. I wonder if JGL would be on board or if he would honor Nolan's wish that this Batman story end at 3 movies.

In the end, I liked it and I am still excited to see it again. A fitting third and final act to a great story.

Trader Joe
07-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Oh also, I was kind of digging the superman trailer although the crabbing thing felt kind of goofy, but then I saw him flying into space and I just chuckled. I don't know Superman is just always so silly to me.

CableKC
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Really? I'll try to pay attention to the auto pilot thing, but for now I'm saying he's dead and that was just Alfred imagining what he wanted to see, kind of how Bruce imagined Ra's al Ghul earlier in the film.

Besides, you have the camera on that thing as it flies out to sea, and obviously you don't see him jump, and I even thought you cut to him in the cockpit right before it blew?

The whole point of Fox finding out about the autopilot was to show that Batman had died but Bruce had lived. Also, although Batman could have just set the autopilot and let the BatWing fly off......I think that Batman wanted to show Gordon that he was in the BatWing ....so that when he did fly off and supposedly blew himself up....there wouldn't be any doubt that Batman died. Alfred said that there was a choice for Bruce before he left...Bruce could die as Batman or Bruce could just "walk away". Bruce decided on Option 3.......Bruce could live on as long as Batman died.

CableKC
07-24-2012, 04:16 PM
My guess is that there will be a difference. Those IMAX screens at the regular Movie Theaters isn't TRUE IMAX. It's somewhere inbetween the size of a regular movie screen and a true IMAX movie screen ( like the ones that you usually see at Museums ).

CableKC
07-24-2012, 04:30 PM
^^^ I mean Skaut_Ech said and showed it better.

Peck
07-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Oh also, I was kind of digging the superman trailer although the crabbing thing felt kind of goofy, but then I saw him flying into space and I just chuckled. I don't know Superman is just always so silly to me.

Superman has always suffered from the fact that they have not been able to have a real super villain to face him. We are always stuck with Lex Luthor who just out thinks him who eventually always is defeated by his own hubris (much like Jim O'Brien was now that I think about it).

I'm hoping with the new CGI available to them they do something beyond some cheap gimmick of him lifting a building or something. They could do a really cool Solomon Grundy if they wanted to or Darkseid or some other super heavy weight to finally give him a villain worth fighting.

Trader Joe
07-24-2012, 05:30 PM
The whole point of Fox finding out about the autopilot was to show that Batman had died but Bruce had lived. Also, although Batman could have just set the autopilot and let the BatWing fly off......I think that Batman wanted to show Gordon that he was in the BatWing ....so that when he did fly off and supposedly blew himself up....there wouldn't be any doubt that Batman died. Alfred said that there was a choice for Bruce before he left...Bruce could die as Batman or Bruce could just "walk away". Bruce decided on Option 3.......Bruce could live on as long as Batman died.

Uh, plus think of how much more intimidating it is to criminals who think Batman supposedly survived a nuclear bomb. With that act, and then Batman mantle being picked up by JGL supposedly, the Batman became what Bruce always wanted. A symbol that his enemies would fear as much as he did.

presto123
07-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Ted. Was very disappointed although there were a few moments.

Hicks
07-24-2012, 05:48 PM
Someday someone's going to NAIL a Superman/Darkseid movie. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be the sequel to Man of Steel.

I don't know the plot of this one (besides it being a reboot and another origin story), but wasn't the speculation for a while now that the villain is going to be Zod? That's a decent choice, if true. Another retread, but only round 2 with him versus round... 5? with Luthor had they gone in that direction again (Superman 1, 2, 4, and Returns being the first four times in semi-recent memory). Someone who can go mano a mano with him, at least.

I didn't realize for years that I was a minority in liking Superman Returns, and I was disappointed when I realized there would never be a follow-up. I always felt Bryan Singer did a better job with X2 than X-Men 1, so I was excited to see him try to step up his game for a second Superman film, presumably with someone who can directly engage in combat with Clark. Oh well.

Hicks
07-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Uh, plus think of how much more intimidating it is to criminals who think Batman supposedly survived a nuclear bomb. With that act, and then Batman mantle being picked up by JGL supposedly, the Batman became what Bruce always wanted. A symbol that his enemies would fear as much as he did.

I really do like the way they kept the Batman alive for another generation with this ending, but I have to admit there's some confusion of the narrative here between what actually happens and how the film was marketed. The tagline was, "The Legend Ends", when in fact the legend is left ready to continue, and it's Bruce Wayne who ends his career and retires. Kind of strange. When I think of the Legend of Batman, I think of that role of BEING Batman, not the man who is actually carrying the role.

On the John Blake thing, the more I reflect on the ending, the more I love it, but with one exception that annoys me: They really, really could have just left out the 'his first name is Robin' line. I think I almost hate that. The point is he's going to be Batman, not Robin, so why get cute?

CableKC
07-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Someday someone's going to NAIL a Superman/Darkseid movie. Maybe we'll get lucky and it'll be the sequel to Man of Steel.

I don't know the plot of this one (besides it being a reboot and another origin story), but wasn't the speculation for a while now that the villain is going to be Zod? That's a decent choice, if true. Another retread, but only round 2 with him versus round... 5? with Luthor had they gone in that direction again (Superman 1, 2, 4, and Returns being the first four times in semi-recent memory). Someone who can go mano a mano with him, at least.
Actually, if Nolan does a much smarter take on Lex Luthor than the absurd Real-Estate Mogul version that Singer and Donner followed......Lex Luthor would totally work. As I am sure that you are familiar with the version of Lex Luthor that DC has been portraying over the last couple of years, Luthor could be portrayed as the smartest human being on the planet that ONLY wants to rid the influence of an Alien on the development and evolution of the human race. He doesn't want humans to be dependent on an Alien Savior but be self-sufficient and evolve without a "god among men". This, to me, is a far more realistic take on a villain like Lex Luthor.

I didn't realize for years that I was a minority in liking Superman Returns, and I was disappointed when I realized there would never be a follow-up. I always felt Bryan Singer did a better job with X2 than X-Men 1, so I was excited to see him try to step up his game for a second Superman film, presumably with someone who can directly engage in combat with Clark. Oh well.
I actually liked Superman Returns and thought that Singer did a good job while Routh ( often lauded as one of the main reasons why the movie didn't do too well ) actually did a fairly good job of doing his impression of Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent/Superman. The only casting that I didn't like was the Kate Bosworth casting as Lois Lane. That and the whole Lex Luthor Real Estate Mogul.

CableKC
07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
On the John Blake thing, the more I reflect on the ending, the more I love it, but with one exception that annoys me: They really, really could have just left out the 'his first name is Robin' line. I think I almost hate that. The point is he's going to be Batman, not Robin, so why get cute?
I think that Blake was Nolan's twist....both on the name and the portrayal.... on the 3rd Robin.....Tim Drake ( Drake ~ Blake ). The 3rd Robin was the only one of the 3 that wanted to become Robin and was the only one that was able to figure out on his own that Bruce Wayne was Batman...just like in the movie.

Just a side note........when Batman was killed in the Comic Book.....by Darkseid....who took over as Batman? Dick Grayson and who took over as Robin? Damien Al Ghul.....you guessed it.....Bruce and Talia's son....specifically the "Son of the Demon".

Hicks
07-24-2012, 10:33 PM
This made me laugh: (Only has to do with TDK, not TDKR)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SQ6MIPTQ8VM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

joeyd
07-24-2012, 11:46 PM
Was I the only one who thought that Bane was being played by Sean Connery? Sure sounded as if he was...

Hicks
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
A lot of people are panning his voice. I mostly dug it.

joeyd
07-25-2012, 12:29 AM
A lot of people are panning his voice. I mostly dug it.

I can't say that I minded it. But I did think at one point that Bane must have hailed from Scotland!

Peck
07-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Ok so tonight I finally saw the new batman movie.

I have no idea what a lot of you are complaining about. This was easily, far and away, my favorite of the three Nolan films.

I enjoyed every min. of the film and I for some reason related to Bale's version of Batman this time far more than I have the previous incantations.

Heck I even enjoyed the Catwoman in this on.

AesopRockOn
07-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Heck I even enjoyed the Catwoman in this on.

She's the best and most interesting character in the movie by far. Doesn't hurt that Anne Hathaway.

Bball
07-25-2012, 02:30 AM
I managed to stay outta here for the most part so I didn't get tempted and read a spoiler or accidentally see something I shouldn't.... until I finally saw TDKR. I agree with Peck. Maybe it helped that I did pick up on some complaining around the net and so that didn't leave me expecting too much... but for an ambitious film with a reputation to live up to I thought it hit a lot of points.

I agree with Hicks about the Robin thing. Although I could've done without it at all, if it had to be there my preference would've been for him to just nonchalantly give his full name in the first place and have Robin be his middle name or something... rather than her dragging it out of him and making it so in your face what Nolan was doing.

I thought it was clear Bruce survived... although the action of the sequence sure didn't seem to indicate any way that would be possible. I think the stronger ending would've been for him to die. Or at least leave everyone thinking he did and put in that shadow of doubt when they figure out Wayne had repaired the auto-pilot. Then we're left to wonder if he really killed himself or MAYBE he did escape. I'd have to watch it all again to note what was shown when. As he's leaving Gotham there was a pretty big fireball for some reason. Would that have been a point where he could've ejected or do we see a shot after that of him in the bat plane?

Suspension of disbelief is always necessary in a film, especially one like this.... And after Cat Woman blasted Bane just before he finished off Batman I was thinking how dramatically convenient her timing was. ;-)
Then a couple of moments later I'm thinking - Wait! How did she sneak up on Bane ON THE BAT CYCLE??? That's probably going to nag me. The line she delivered was fine but I think her standing in the doorway with a just fired bat-bazooka might've made a little more sense in how she slipped into position to have a clean shot at Bane. I probably had more trouble with suspension of disbelief for that part of the scene and movie then I did for thinking Bruce could go from limping with a cane to kicking *** even after having a spinal injury that was 'repaired' in some kind of jail. Hey, he worked out! :-) ...and mind over matter too ;-)

I also had a LITTLE issue with Bruce getting back to Gotham so quickly (and apparently easily) after escaping the pit. I probably should've had more of an issue in retrospect. He had so little time to get back to Gotham at that point that it seems a few secs to explain his method of return would've been nice. Or else, just give him more time to return so we can logically imagine a few scenarios that might've transpired. Instead, he needed some luck and high speed travel too.

Agree with the thought that Blake really looked like Ledger. He looked so much like him it was distracting to me at times. At times I wondered if HE would be the evil twist we all figured was coming. Mainly from the resemblance.

I wouldn't have minded to have seen Bruce need to take the bomb farther out to sea... For a bomb that big he sure didn't need to take it far.

Also, WHY did they (Bane and the chick) want the bomb to explode in the first place? And why months later? If they could've detonated it at any time, why wait?

I agree with Hicks that the Joker not netting a mention seemed wrong all things considered. Probably made more noticeable by Blake looking so much like Ledger. But it wasn't like the movie lacked the Joker either.

I also think Bat vs Bane Part One would've worked as a death scene for Wayne with Blake taking the mantle sometime following that (when he realizes Bruce doesn't appear to be still alive). He could've been inspired not only by Bruce/Batman and what he stood for but also wanting the legend to live on in the proper light.

Overall I thought it was a fun movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Do any of you serious followers of the triology and background know what if anything changed in TDKR's due to Ledger's death? Was there a story outline in place for 1,2, and 3 that Ledger's death forced a rewrite or total new outline? Was this roughly how it was always going to conclude?

pacer4ever
07-25-2012, 02:47 AM
Dark Knight Rises

I didn't like it that much Baine isnt a villian you center a movie around. I mean Baine is like Robin of Villains pair him with Ivy, Frost or Joker that is the way he should be used.

I thought he couldn't talk when he was juiced up like in Batman&Robin that I watched as a kid believe it came out in the late 90s. I just think they did his character really bad and his voice is so annoying could barley understand the guy. Wish they would of stayed true to the guy. Wish they would of done a Joker or someone like that with Baine.

I don't get the point of having Catwoman/ Batwomen she really brought nothing to the movie I don't get the point of even casting her it seemed so forced.

Constellations
07-25-2012, 03:24 AM
Just a few things here. For those of you who are really complaining about TDKR, are crazy. It was the best "movie" of the series. The funnest? Absolutely not. The most depth? No question.

Everyone wanted another "The Dark Knight", but you should have known you wouldn't get the same product. I personally prefer "Batman Begins". Scarecrow is just a fascinating character, and the story of Ras Al Ghul and the "League of Shadows" is breathtaking.

And I just watched "Kick ***". One of my favorite movies by far.

Bball
07-25-2012, 03:52 AM
Hey... waitaminute... Maybe I missed this but wasn't it said only a child ever escaped the pit (and we were led to believe that child was Bane)... So how did Bane escape the pit then?
I'm thinking I just misheard something.... or missed something....

Constellations
07-25-2012, 03:59 AM
Hey... waitaminute... Maybe I missed this but wasn't it said only a child ever escaped the pit (and we were led to believe that child was Bane)... So how did Bane escape the pit then?
I'm thinking I just misheard something.... or missed something....

Just watch it again. It explains it in the movie. It actually visions through a flashback explaining it very well.

Skaut_Ech
07-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Do any of you serious followers of the triology and background know what if anything changed in TDKR's due to Ledger's death? Was there a story outline in place for 1,2, and 3 that Ledger's death forced a rewrite or total new outline? Was this roughly how it was always going to conclude?

Check it out. I didn't know this. (http://www.quora.com/The-Dark-Knight-Rises-2012-movie/Did-Christopher-Nolan-originally-intend-for-the-Joker-to-appear-in-The-Dark-Knight-Rises)

I actually liked Superman Returns and thought that Singer did a good job while Routh ( often lauded as one of the main reasons why the movie didn't do too well ) actually did a fairly good job of doing his impression of Christopher Reeve's Clark Kent/Superman. The only casting that I didn't like was the Kate Bosworth casting as Lois Lane. That and the whole Lex Luthor Real Estate Mogul.

My thoughts EXACTLY. I thought the sequence where he was trying to stop the damage to the city was totally exciting and entertaining. It also got me to thinking, I think he's the first superhero I've seen to fly upside down while using his powers. Minor thing, but it was a nice touch. I've actually watched the movie several times. Too bad there wasn't a sequel. I would have liked to see them mess with the established mythos and do a story with his son and how he deals with that. I am REALLY apprehensive about yet another reboot for him. EVERYONE knows his origin. Why not skip over that. If I was in charge, I'd start it out like a James Bond film with some shenanigans going on, then as the viewer tries to figure out what's going on, it leads to Superman showing up and a great action sequence. That was the movie starts out full tilt. Go from there.

Man, there was a trio of similar movie that I can't decide which I like better; Kick ***, Wanted or Scott Pilgrim. Highly entertaining with lots of action.

Trader Joe
07-25-2012, 01:15 PM
Just a few things here. For those of you who are really complaining about TDKR, are crazy. It was the best "movie" of the series. The funnest? Absolutely not. The most depth? No question.

Everyone wanted another "The Dark Knight", but you should have known you wouldn't get the same product. I personally prefer "Batman Begins". Scarecrow is just a fascinating character, and the story of Ras Al Ghul and the "League of Shadows" is breathtaking.

I think Rises may have been the funnest of the movies, it was the most true action movie, but I don't think it had the most depth personally. TDK is extremely deep on many levels. It deals with lots of serious themes and is just in general an extremely disturbing movie.

Constellations
07-25-2012, 02:11 PM
I think Rises may have been the funnest of the movies, it was the most true action movie, but I don't think it had the most depth personally. TDK is extremely deep on many levels. It deals with lots of serious themes and is just in general an extremely disturbing movie.

Rent wins in the depth category no question. And t
dk is the true action film. you have your titles backwards friend

Suaveness
07-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I managed to stay outta here for the most part so I didn't get tempted and read a spoiler or accidentally see something I shouldn't.... until I finally saw TDKR. I agree with Peck. Maybe it helped that I did pick up on some complaining around the net and so that didn't leave me expecting too much... but for an ambitious film with a reputation to live up to I thought it hit a lot of points.

I agree with Hicks about the Robin thing. Although I could've done without it at all, if it had to be there my preference would've been for him to just nonchalantly give his full name in the first place and have Robin be his middle name or something... rather than her dragging it out of him and making it so in your face what Nolan was doing.

I thought it was clear Bruce survived... although the action of the sequence sure didn't seem to indicate any way that would be possible. I think the stronger ending would've been for him to die. Or at least leave everyone thinking he did and put in that shadow of doubt when they figure out Wayne had repaired the auto-pilot. Then we're left to wonder if he really killed himself or MAYBE he did escape. I'd have to watch it all again to note what was shown when. As he's leaving Gotham there was a pretty big fireball for some reason. Would that have been a point where he could've ejected or do we see a shot after that of him in the bat plane?

Suspension of disbelief is always necessary in a film, especially one like this.... And after Cat Woman blasted Bane just before he finished off Batman I was thinking how dramatically convenient her timing was. ;-)
Then a couple of moments later I'm thinking - Wait! How did she sneak up on Bane ON THE BAT CYCLE??? That's probably going to nag me. The line she delivered was fine but I think her standing in the doorway with a just fired bat-bazooka might've made a little more sense in how she slipped into position to have a clean shot at Bane. I probably had more trouble with suspension of disbelief for that part of the scene and movie then I did for thinking Bruce could go from limping with a cane to kicking *** even after having a spinal injury that was 'repaired' in some kind of jail. Hey, he worked out! :-) ...and mind over matter too ;-)

I also had a LITTLE issue with Bruce getting back to Gotham so quickly (and apparently easily) after escaping the pit. I probably should've had more of an issue in retrospect. He had so little time to get back to Gotham at that point that it seems a few secs to explain his method of return would've been nice. Or else, just give him more time to return so we can logically imagine a few scenarios that might've transpired. Instead, he needed some luck and high speed travel too.

Agree with the thought that Blake really looked like Ledger. He looked so much like him it was distracting to me at times. At times I wondered if HE would be the evil twist we all figured was coming. Mainly from the resemblance.

I wouldn't have minded to have seen Bruce need to take the bomb farther out to sea... For a bomb that big he sure didn't need to take it far.

Also, WHY did they (Bane and the chick) want the bomb to explode in the first place? And why months later? If they could've detonated it at any time, why wait?

I agree with Hicks that the Joker not netting a mention seemed wrong all things considered. Probably made more noticeable by Blake looking so much like Ledger. But it wasn't like the movie lacked the Joker either.

I also think Bat vs Bane Part One would've worked as a death scene for Wayne with Blake taking the mantle sometime following that (when he realizes Bruce doesn't appear to be still alive). He could've been inspired not only by Bruce/Batman and what he stood for but also wanting the legend to live on in the proper light.

Overall I thought it was a fun movie. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nolan said that he didn't want to put Ledger or his character into the new movie b/c that would be an insult to his memory and portrayal of Joker. Or something like that. Basically he was uncomfortable using him/his death in the movie. And by extension the Joker. I think if Ledger was alive, he would have either been in the movie or been mentioned.

Trader Joe
07-25-2012, 03:42 PM
Rent wins in the depth category no question. And t
dk is the true action film. you have your titles backwards friend

No way, Rises has nothing like the scenes where the Joker is talking about how he got his scars or the give and take between Batman and the Joker in the interrogation room or the scene where Joker and Dent are in the hospital or the scene with Joker and the gangsters (there's a them here...). The Bane/Bat fight 1 comes close as Bane is chastising him but it doesn't get on the same level. TDK takes much more time to slow down and examine what is going on with dialogue.

Rises doesn't challenge the superhero genre the way TDK did. It just doesn't have anywhere near the depth of the second movie. That doesn't make it bad, just different.

Constellations
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM
No way, Rises has nothing like the scenes where the Joker is talking about how he got his scars or the give and take between Batman and the Joker in the interrogation room or the scene where Joker and Dent are in the hospital or the scene with Joker and the gangsters (there's a them here...). The Bane/Bat fight 1 comes close as Bane is chastising him but it doesn't get on the same level. TDK takes much more time to slow down and examine what is going on with dialogue.

Rises doesn't challenge the superhero genre the way TDK did. It just doesn't have anywhere near the depth of the second movie. That doesn't make it bad, just different.

I do not approve of this.

AesopRockOn
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM

I disagree, though they are pretty separate points in the context of the movies. The themes in TDKR are just more relevant. The actual fascist nature of Bane's terrorism (and Wayne's anti-terrorism for that matter) feels more modern-day than the things that the Joker did, which were cooler and more entertaining to watch. While Harvey Dent/Batman in the second movie does provide some allegory to dealing with terrorism/nihilism in present day America, there are just hints, not going deep enough to really delve. The conflict between Selina and Wayne (99% vs. 1%) isn't too Sorkin'd either, but it is explored. The true member of the proletariat here is actually a thief who steals from the rich and her potential romance serves as a metaphor for her conflict between the rights and wrongs of both sides and what she ultimately chooses. There's also the issue of transparency in regards to the end of the last movie. The movies as a whole seem to argue for transparency with the accompanying absolute power of a vigilante crime fighter, an odd mix these days. Nolan's British conservatism comes through enough to put these ideas out there, though not quite enough to give a solid answer (much like the final shots of his movies). God, this paragraph sounds douchey; thoughts from Ross Douthat (http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/23/the-politics-of-the-dark-knight-rises/).

Trader Joe
07-25-2012, 05:13 PM
I disagree, though they are pretty separate points in the context of the movies. The themes in TDKR are just more relevant. The actual fascist nature of Bane's terrorism (and Wayne's anti-terrorism for that matter) feels more modern-day than the things that the Joker did, which were cooler and more entertaining to watch. While Harvey Dent/Batman in the second movie does provide some allegory to dealing with terrorism/nihilism in present day America, there are just hints, not going deep enough to really delve. The conflict between Selina and Wayne (99% vs. 1%) isn't too Sorkin'd either, but it is explored. The true member of the proletariat here is actually a thief who steals from the rich and her potential romance serves as a metaphor for her conflict between the rights and wrongs of both sides and what she ultimately chooses. There's also the issue of transparency in regards to the end of the last movie. The movies as a whole seem to argue for transparency with the accompanying absolute power of a vigilante crime fighter, an odd mix these days. Nolan's British conservatism comes through enough to put these ideas out there, though not quite enough to give a solid answer (much like the final shots of his movies). God, this paragraph sounds douchey; thoughts from Ross Douthat (http://douthat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/23/the-politics-of-the-dark-knight-rises/).

Rises does have those themes. It also slams it down your throat, whether it's Bane deciding to "give the city back to the people" or Kyle's "You'll all wonder how you could live so fat and leave so little for the rest of us".

I'll take TDK themes any day of the week and also take the dialogue of TDK any day of the week. I just believe the one on one scenes in Rises pale to the one on one scenes in TDK. Those scenes give TDK more depth as a movie. Rises is at it's best when something action-y is going on. Whereas the best scenes in TDK are when the movie slows down and let's the characters speak.

I'll just speak frankly here, but the writing of Gordon's speech that Bane reads is utter ****. It doesn't sound anything like Gordon's character and it was the point where I really felt like Nolan was just pushing through the dialogue scenes in Rises to get to the next OH **** moment. TDK had those OH **** moments to, but the dialogue on the way there didn't feel so forced.

Bball
07-25-2012, 07:15 PM
or the scene where Joker and Dent are in the hospital

If you're talking about where Dent flips that seemed much too quick and easy. I always had a little suspension of disbelief problem with that scene. That was pretty quick I thought for Dent to turn so easily at the Joker's suggestions. Not that I didn't see it happening, just needed to be more difficult or another puzzle piece thrown in I thought.

Constellations
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Rises does have those themes. It also slams it down your throat, whether it's Bane deciding to "give the city back to the people" or Kyle's "You'll all wonder how you could live so fat and leave so little for the rest of us".

I'll take TDK themes any day of the week and also take the dialogue of TDK any day of the week. I just believe the one on one scenes in Rises pale to the one on one scenes in TDK. Those scenes give TDK more depth as a movie. Rises is at it's best when something action-y is going on. Whereas the best scenes in TDK are when the movie slows down and let's the characters speak.

I'll just speak frankly here, but the writing of Gordon's speech that Bane reads is utter ****. It doesn't sound anything like Gordon's character and it was the point where I really felt like Nolan was just pushing through the dialogue scenes in Rises to get to the next OH **** moment. TDK had those OH **** moments to, but the dialogue on the way there didn't feel so forced.

I believe you're confused as to what depth of the film means. I'm a Bat forecaster and trust me.Tdkr wins.

I love the joker. But he doesn't have much depth.

Stryder
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
As others have mentioned, how did Bruce get back in to Gotham so easily (after escaping the pit)? He simply emerged from the shadows and strolled up to Selina. I know he's the damned Batman, but geeze, Bane and his cohorts had the place on lockdown. Even my wife questioned that.

Hicks
07-25-2012, 07:45 PM
If you're talking about where Dent flips that seemed much too quick and easy. I always had a little suspension of disbelief problem with that scene. That was pretty quick I thought for Dent to turn so easily at the Joker's suggestions. Not that I didn't see it happening, just needed to be more difficult or another puzzle piece thrown in I thought.

It's a leap, but considering his massive frustration, extreme pain (both physical and emotional/psychological from the experience and losing Rachel at the same time; and all because of being betrayed by corrupt police officers, and ones he warned Jim Gordon about earlier, no less), he DID suffer a MASSIVE amount of darkness and disappointment in a condensed period of time. It wasn't too much of a reach for him to be driven mad by it. Or at least to the extent that he just gave up and embraced a sort of dark, nihilistic view to life. His idealism and hope had been stomped by an enormous boot and set on fire. Still somewhat of a leap, but not a huge one IMO.

Personally, my complaint was that they went cartoonish with the damage to his face. I'd have preferred realistic, severe burns instead. Fits more with the mold of these movies, would have been harder to look at, and wouldn't have seemed kind of silly/odd.

Hicks
07-25-2012, 07:47 PM
I believe you're confused as to what depth of the film means. I'm a Bat forecaster and trust me.Tdkr wins.

Define depth.

I strongly disagree with the idea that the Joker doesn't have depth. At least as I understand the word. He's clearly had a severely traumatic past, he's utterly psychopathic and twisted, he's an enormous hypocrite (complaining about schemers when he's one of the best schemers ever), a constant liar, he changes his mind on what he wants to do mid-stream, yet always seems emotionally sincere with whatever he's up to at the moment, he's a blend of grim blackness and humor/levity, he's intelligent and somewhat philosophical, a flair for the dramatic, imaginative, he seems to want something and nothing at different moments, etc.

Bane, on other hand, is mostly just plain evil/cruel with a soft spot for baby girls, apparently, from his own very traumatic upbringing. Beyond that, obviously he's very strong and skilled, very smart and very articulate with a lot of ambition, which is cool. I have nothing against Bane, and I thought he had a good presence in this film. I liked him. I think Nolan and Hardy did a very good job of elevating the character beyond his past in the movies/books, but he's not nearly as interesting or deep as the Joker to me.

Hicks
07-25-2012, 07:53 PM
As others have mentioned, how did Bruce get back in to Gotham so easily (after escaping the pit)? He simply emerged from the shadows and strolled up to Selina. I know he's the damned Batman, but geeze, Bane and his cohorts had the place on lockdown. Even my wife questioned that.

My thing is: How did he get from whatever city/country that pit is in, back to the US? He had no money or communication devices. But once he got back, he IS a trained ninja after all, so I can buy him sneaking his way back in somehow. It's getting to that point that leaves me wondering.

Sandman21
07-25-2012, 07:54 PM
I thought he couldn't talk when he was juiced up like in Batman&Robin that I watched as a kid believe it came out in the late 90s. I just think they did his character really bad and his voice is so annoying could barley understand the guy. Wish they would of stayed true to the guy. Wish they would of done a Joker or someone like that with Baine.

For the record, Batman and Robin (which by the way, NEVER HAPPENED. It's all a figment of our imaginations.;)) is a TERRIBLE barometer for Bane (TAS handled him MUCH better). Scratch that, it wasn't terrible, it was TURRIBLE. I think Nolan wasn't all that far off from the comic book version of Bane. Read the Knightfall arc (or even the novelized version) when you get a chance, and you'll understand why he can be a villain to center a film around.

cdash
07-25-2012, 08:43 PM
For the record, Batman and Robin (which by the way, NEVER HAPPENED. It's all a figment of our imaginations.;)) is a TERRIBLE barometer for Bane (TAS handled him MUCH better). Scratch that, it wasn't terrible, it was TURRIBLE. I think Nolan wasn't all that far off from the comic book version of Bane. Read the Knightfall arc (or even the novelized version) when you get a chance, and you'll understand why he can be a villain to center a film around.

I watched Batman & Robin last night just to remind myself how bad things were at one point for Batman. It was every bit as horrendous as I remember. And George Clooney is a fantastic actor, one of the best on Earth, but he was an awful Batman. Plain awful. Even Kilmer was better, and I hated Kilmer.

Sandman21
07-25-2012, 09:00 PM
You didn't watch Batman and Robin last night, that was you sleeping. Batman and Robin NEVER HAPPENED. EVER. :D

cdash
07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
You didn't watch Batman and Robin last night, that was you sleeping. Batman and Robin NEVER HAPPENED. EVER. :D

Then I had the absolute worst ****ing nightmare about batsuit nipples, Batgirl, embarrassingly bad puns from Mr. Freeze, a retarded Bane, and the wholly unsexy Uma Thurman blowing sex dust at people. **** was crazy.

spreedom
07-25-2012, 09:10 PM
One thing I do want to say about TDKR is that Gordon looked and sounded horrible. His leftover accent from Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (which he got a voice coach for so he could relearn his original accent) showed way too much here, and his hair was just weird looking. They obviously filmed the beginning part ("I believed in Harvey Dent") during TDK and kept the footage for this movie. But he was almost unrecognizable in this, to me.

Also, the sound mixing on Bane's voice was really bad. It overlapped every other sound in the movie, even during the plane heist. It was a big improvement over the first mix on the prologue though.

spreedom
07-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Then I had the absolute worst ****ing nightmare about batsuit nipples, Batgirl, embarrassingly bad puns from Mr. Freeze, a retarded Bane, and the wholly unsexy Uma Thurman blowing sex dust at people. **** was crazy.

I agree with all of that, but I think it was better than Batman Forever. At least B&R was campy and schlocky on purpose.

cdash
07-25-2012, 09:59 PM
I agree with all of that, but I think it was better than Batman Forever. At least B&R was campy and schlocky on purpose.

I think they both were. I got a very similar vibe from both of them, and they are both products of that Director Who Shall Not Be Named.

Here's an odd one: I can't watch Batman Returns anymore. It grosses me out. The Penguin is legitimately disgusting. I had it on last night and I ordered pizza and had to turn it off because his nasty *** black gums and raw fish meals were too much for me. It's not a bad movie, but The Penguin is a nasty dude. And how the **** does an army of penguins survive in the sewers of Gotham? I realize punching plot holes in movies such as this is an exercise in futility, but that always made me laugh.

hoosierguy
07-25-2012, 10:13 PM
I too saw TDKR and its criticism of the Occupy Movement disgusted me. Nolan and Goyer compared peaceful activists who are the embodiment of equality and democracy as envious thugs easily manipulated by autocrats.

Basically we got to see the Tea party's view of the Occupy Movement on the big screen. For shame.

Sandman21
07-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Batman 89 and Batman Returns were awesome movies(although Nicholson's Joker hasn't aged well at all IMO, next to Ledger's Joker, Nicholson looks like a campy Cesar Romero tribute ). After Burton left though..... *shudder*

Constellations
07-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Define depth.

I strongly disagree with the idea that the Joker doesn't have depth. At least as I understand the word. He's clearly had a severely traumatic past, he's utterly psychopathic and twisted, he's an enormous hypocrite (complaining about schemers when he's one of the best schemers ever), a constant liar, he changes his mind on what he wants to do mid-stream, yet always seems emotionally sincere with whatever he's up to at the moment, he's a blend of grim blackness and humor/levity, he's intelligent and somewhat philosophical, a flair for the dramatic, imaginative, he seems to want something and nothing at different moments, etc.

Bane, on other hand, is mostly just plain evil/cruel with a soft spot for baby girls, apparently, from his own very traumatic upbringing. Beyond that, obviously he's very strong and skilled, very smart and very articulate with a lot of ambit
ion, which is cool. I have nothing against Bane, and I thought he had a good presence in this film. I liked him. I think Nolan and Hardy did a very good job of elevating the character beyond his past in the movies/books, but he's not nearly as interesting or deep as the Joker to me.

I never said that he didn't have depth. I clearly stated that he didn't have much.

But to say two had more than trifle even Begins , is ridiculous. Ill hey back on later on a computer. My phone is wearing me out.

cdash
07-25-2012, 10:17 PM
Batman 89 and Batman Returns were awesome movies(although Nicholson's Joker hasn't aged well at all IMO, next to Ledger's Joker, Nicholson looks like a campy Cesar Romero tribute ). After Burton left though..... *shudder*

At some point, we could just make a Batman thread, but for now I will keep it in here.

I totally agree about Nicholson's Joker--it's aged poorly. Perhaps it wouldn't be as bad if Ledger's Joker wasn't one of the top 2 or 3 villains in movie history, but it does have a campy feel to it.

I'm not a Tim Burton fan. At all. But I do enjoy his take on Batman. I actually think Keaton was a really good Batman, but a poor Bruce Wayne. He seemed too...nerdy for a billionaire playboy. Kilmer was too serious as Wayne. Clooney was a catastrophe, and Bale nailed it.

Peck
07-25-2012, 10:20 PM
You all do realize that you’re arguing over depth of DC comics villains here right?

The Marvelite in me is both amused and saddened all at the same time.

That is/was the main difference between Marvel & DC back in the day, DC's villains had little to no depth. Since the late 80's early 90's all comic companies are pretty much the same but that used to be the point.

DC villains were evil/bad whatever.

Marvels villains were often complicated and did evil/bad things. Now mind you not all Marvel villains had this depth but that was the main thing, depending on the actions they took certain characters could just as easily have been heroes as villains and some often blurred that line.

Now as to the movies versions of what you guys are talking about, again it's just one man's opinion here, I think Bane had more depth in these movies that the Joker did. The Joker may or may not have had a troubled past, nobody really knows, but at the end of the day he is a homicidal maniac bent on anarchy. Schemeing is just an ends to a means for him.

Bane on the other hand seems to have the depth of being a self proclaimed liberator who really is just a person in love.

I guess I just find more depth in that, but hey at the end of the day its just a movie and its all just opinions.

Well, except the part about DC villains. ;)

Peck
07-25-2012, 10:24 PM
I too saw TDKR and its criticism of the Occupy Movement disgusted me. Nolan and Goyer compared peaceful activists who are the embodiment of equality and democracy as envious thugs easily manipulated by autocrats.

Basically we got to see the Tea party's view of the Occupy Movement on the big screen. For shame.

Hmmmmm...

The irony here is that I can bet money with confidence that not a single person who would even dare touch a tea party point of view had anything to do with the making of this film.

So it's really kind of odd that this did come out that way.

AesopRockOn
07-25-2012, 10:44 PM

There's a differentiation between what a character says and does and what a movie says and does. I think the movie, very similarly to the previous two, simply sets the table for these themes and issues. Very little throat pounding. This movie just plain had more going on in it and gave us a bigger buffet to choose from.

Not defending it, because its reading was odd, but this scene looked heavily edited, like not all of the pages had the same number of words on them. It came off as paraphrasing to me rather than a word-for-word recite.

The irony here is that I can bet money with confidence that not a single person who would even dare touch a tea party point of view had anything to do with the making of this film.

Nolan's Batman and universe are conservative, but they're British conservative, not American. (Or what my last post said.)

spreedom
07-25-2012, 11:04 PM

I'm pretty sure Nolan has spoken about being fairly liberal, as far as American politics are concerned... I do agree that from a bird's eye view, the entire Dark Knight Trilogy seems to have very conservative views.

Hicks
07-26-2012, 01:13 AM
I keep seeing people talk about Bane being a liberator and all that stuff. Did you all miss where he's completely ************ them because he's evil and finds it fun to give Gotham false hope? He was never trying to be a freedom fighter or liberator. The plan, from day one, was Gotham's destruction. He wanted to give them false hope first to essentially torture them all (and Bruce, having to watch it) before finally killing them. Like pulling the wings off of a bug before finally stomping on it. Bane was just being cruel, and it bit him in the *** in the end.

Bball
07-26-2012, 01:48 AM
It's a leap, but considering his massive frustration, extreme pain (both physical and emotional/psychological from the experience and losing Rachel at the same time; and all because of being betrayed by corrupt police officers, and ones he warned Jim Gordon about earlier, no less), he DID suffer a MASSIVE amount of darkness and disappointment in a condensed period of time. It wasn't too much of a reach for him to be driven mad by it. Or at least to the extent that he just gave up and embraced a sort of dark, nihilistic view to life. His idealism and hope had been stomped by an enormous boot and set on fire. Still somewhat of a leap, but not a huge one IMO.

Personally, my complaint was that they went cartoonish with the damage to his face. I'd have preferred realistic, severe burns instead. Fits more with the mold of these movies, would have been harder to look at, and wouldn't have seemed kind of silly/odd.

100% agree...

Bball
07-26-2012, 02:09 AM
I keep seeing people talk about Bane being a liberator and all that stuff. Did you all miss where he's completely ************ them because he's evil and finds it fun to give Gotham false hope? He was never trying to be a freedom fighter or liberator. The plan, from day one, was Gotham's destruction. He wanted to give them false hope first to essentially torture them all (and Bruce, having to watch it) before finally killing them. Like pulling the wings off of a bug before finally stomping on it. Bane was just being cruel, and it bit him in the *** in the end.

It didn't get that at the time but it settled in later that was the point of letting things play out the way they did.

I'm surprised there is so much debate over whether Bruce is really dead or not and whether Alfred saw Bruce in his mind or that was an actual chance sighting at the end. I watched the movie and the explosion and thought "Damn, they really did kill him". But then the movie didn't end... and there was the mention of the functional autopilot... and then Alfred's scene. So those two things alone seemed to be confirmation Wayne was still alive. Otherwise, why have Bruce turn toward the camera to face Alfred so you can clearly see it's Bruce? Earlier in Alfred's imagination when the guy turned to face him he could see it WASN'T Bruce. So if you want to be ambiguous about Bruce's death, don't let us or Alfred see the face before fading to black.

I suppose you could reinterpret things but I think that it's just people feeling his death would've been more dramatic and put some finality on that part of things and so are seeing what they want to see. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to know that originally Wayne DID die and some test audience or pre screening for execs led to the idea maybe he shouldn't really die.... But I could be wrong...

If it was up to me, he would've died. It is a sadder and more dramatic ending. And it's a little more unexpected.

Bball
07-26-2012, 02:13 AM
Heath Ledger WAS the Joker.... He owned the role. Or the role owned him.
Jack Nicholson was Jack Nicholson in clown makeup.

Peck
07-26-2012, 03:12 AM

Matter of opinion. It's a very popular opinion mind you but an opinion nonetheless.

Trader Joe
07-26-2012, 08:49 AM

No, I am not confused by what depth means. I am glad you are a "Bat forecaster" but on a message board my opinion means as much as yours so I'd appreciate it if you didn't infer that I just don't understand.

And if you say the Joker doesn't have much depth then on how God's green earth do any of Rises villains have great depth?

bellisimo
07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
would it not have been possible to have a separate TDKR thread? Its like going through mine field in this place as the movie is just coming out this weekend here in Hungary :(

Hicks
07-26-2012, 09:20 AM
In fact, it wouldn't surprise me to know that originally Wayne DID die and some test audience or pre screening for execs led to the idea maybe he shouldn't really die.... But I could be wrong...

There's virtually no chance there were test screenings for this movie. Nolan is very secretive/protective towards his plotsm(which could easily leak from test screening), and at this point he must have near or complete autonomy from Warner Brothers to do what he wanted.

Trader Joe
07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Ok. So I was chewing on some of this last night. I want to clarify a few things.

1.) When I say that Rises is more of a typical super hero movie story arc and falls victim to some conventional super hero plot points, I do mean that as a criticism, but I don't mean this to say the movie is bad, I just don't think it pushed the boundaries of the genre to the same depth TDK did.

2.) So then I started thinking when did Rises fall into this trap, and I came back to a scene that is both one of my favorites for how hard it is too watch, but is also one of my least favorites because the dialogue doesn't make any sense in the context of this trilogy, and that is the Bane/Bat fight 1. Bane's dialogue here is all predicated that deep down Bruce is soft, he doesn't truly live in the darkness he's just adopted it, he's just a rich guy in the end and he can't beat someone who has really been through struggle. Uh...what? Then what was the point of Begins? Wasn't the whole point of this trilogy that Bat/Bruce are in darkness? How many times has Alfred had to tell Bruce to spend his money on lavish things otherwise he will look strange? Bruce hates what his money represents to him (his parents) and thus all the dialogue in this scene seems very forced to me the more I think on it, it doesn't make sense in the context of the themes so far. Yes, OK Batman is rich and Bane was probably poor...but, uh, congratulations for pointing that one out writers. Now MAYBE Nolan/writers are trying to foreshadow why Bane will eventually lose to Batman (lacks true understanding of his foe), but let's compare the writing in this scene to the scene from TDK it mostly closely mirrors...the Bat/Joker interrogation room scene. Joker's dialogue is truly trying to play with Batman's psyche here, basically saying it doesn't matter how many people you save, how many lives you change for the better or how many people I kill or main, in the end we will always be the same to everyone else...two freaks. Bane's speech by comparison is so boring, "In the end, you'll still be the rich guy from privilege and I'll be the one who really knows struggle." Would have much preferred Bane to have very little dialogue here which would have been a great juxtaposition to the always yapping Joker in the interrogation scene.

3.) Nolan should have taken a risk and killed Batman/Bruce or crippled him for good in the first fight scene. That would have given him a chance for a true change in the genre, to push the boundaries of what a superhero movie can be. Plus Bane have Bruce dead to rights and then letting him live so he can "torture his soul" only to have Bruce escape and eventually defeat him (surprise, surprise) is such a comic book villain mistake. Though you might have to remove Talia from the script, which I'm ok with Bane could still pull off the story arc with his mission being that he was a member of the league of shadows, I mean he had already over thrown an African government so it's not that big of a leap to say he'd move onto bigger fish eventually. That would have been great I think.

Then when the special forces group has failed and perhaps there are 18 or so hours left before the bomb goes off, right as Gordon goes out to start trying to mark trucks and gets captured, I would have had this scene. JGL witnesses the other cops getting trapped and he panics, I would have Gordon look up as they are being captured and say something about how the city needs the Batman now. JGL goes to Wayne manor which has been looted and ransacked. He finds a dirty and disheveled Alfred who has clearly been in a bad state since he discovered Bruce died at Bane's hands and decides to return to Wayne Manor before the city got shut off (he hid in the batcave when the house was looted). JGL begs Alfred to show him where Bruce's gear is. But Alfred refuses at first, saying that Batman has already killed Bruce and he won't let Batman kill anyone else. JGL appeals to Alfred about how Batman is bigger than Bruce important to Gotham, and he's the hero the city needs (symmetry with the end of Dark Knight.) Alfred flashes back to two scenes from the beginning of Batman Begins, one is Bruce speaking to him on the jet on the way home, "As a symbol, I can't be killed, I can be incorruptible. I need something terrifying, elemental." and then the scene down in the Batcave from Begins... "Why Bats Master Wayne?" "Bats scare me, it's time my enemies share my dread." Cut to Alfred pushing those keys on the piano and riding down in the elevator with the new Batman as they leave a destroyed and ransacked Wayne manor behind, symmetry with the end of Begins if anyone remembers the scene as the manor burns around them. The ending progresses in much the same way as Rises did, JGL saves Gordon and the cops and they put a bat signal on the bridge, only now Bane is really ****ing confused and perhaps even scared, Batman/Bruce is dead, but yet the Bat is back. The only thing is how to get rid of the bomb without JGL being killed and I guess you could throw in a throw away line like, "It looks like Bruce actually did manage to fix the auto pilot..."

I know, I know, I'm dealing in fan fiction, but IMO an ending like that would have had great symmetry with the first two movies, while also pushing the boundaries of what we know is possible in a good superhero movie. Instead we got a pretty cookie cutter ending all things considered and I think Nolan could have done better. It's not bad, and I know it would have been nearly impossible to please everyone, but I would have preferred the risk have been taken. Just my opinion, and that's why I will always view TDK as the deeper, more unique movie.

Hicks
07-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Matter of opinion. It's a very popular opinion mind you but an opinion nonetheless.

Well... what's the counter argument, then? While somewhat of an exaggeration, I think it's almost the truth.

And for that matter, I don't even really see it as a bad thing. That was a cool Joker.

Mackey_Rose
07-26-2012, 09:59 AM

Hold on a second. Did nobody else see this?

What the **** is a "Bat forecaster?"

Trader Joe
07-26-2012, 10:10 AM

No, I saw it too, I don't know what it is, but apparently it means he know more about Batman than the rest of us.

Suaveness
07-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Wrong. Mark Hamill WAS the Joker.

Muwahaha.

Peck
07-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Well... what's the counter argument, then? While somewhat of an exaggeration, I think it's almost the truth.

And for that matter, I don't even really see it as a bad thing. That was a cool Joker.

I just didn't care for his Joker to the extent that some of you did. I thought it was ok but then again I don't think of the Dark Knight as a religious experiance the way some of you do either.

It's a movie, nothing more. You may like his take on the Joker I actually prefer Nicholsons take on the Joker.

Yes it's more comic bookish but I don't find that as a fault, I thought it fit the movie perfectly.

Unclebuck
07-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I just didn't care for his Joker to the extent that some of you did. I thought it was ok but then again I don't think of the Dark Knight as a religious experiance the way some of you do either.

It's a movie, nothing more. You may like his take on the Joker I actually prefer Nicholsons take on the Joker.

Yes it's more comic bookish but I don't find that as a fault, I thought it fit the movie perfectly.

I thought the Joker in the Dark Knight was one of the best villians ever. In fact I cannot name a better one. Dark Knight overall wasn't a reigious experience, but it was one of the very few movies I've ever seen where right when it was over I turned to the person next to me and said wow that was a great movie. In fact my immediate reaction right after the movie was that I thought it was the best movie I had ever seen. After a day or two to let it sink in I still loved it, but I don't consider in my top 5 or so. It was thrilling though

Sandman21
07-26-2012, 01:55 PM

I never used to have a problem with Nicholsons Joker and in fact used to love it as a kid, but my god, hes another Cesar Romero nowaday! :D The aging on his Joker just didn't go well at all, and I LOVE Tim Burton's take on Batman.

Sandman21
07-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Auto-Correct strikes again?

Constellations
07-26-2012, 02:02 PM
No, I saw it too, I don't know what it is, but apparently it means he know more about Batman than the rest of us.

That was actually supposed to say loremaster but you can't take it as the way you want you jerk. I was more less just saying I know more than average batman fan, Who have simply gotten into the series do to christopher nolan's versions.

rexnom
07-26-2012, 02:09 PM
The Heath Ledger performance really elevated TDK. Hard to say it wasn't better than TDKR, even though I felt TDKR was really better in every other way.

I'm a super-lefty and the Occupy stuff didn't bother me at all. I don't think any of that was really intentional.

Peck
07-26-2012, 02:10 PM
That was actually supposed to say loremaster but you can't take it as the way you want you jerk. I was more less just saying I know more than average batman fan, Who have simply gotten into the series do to christopher nolan's versions.

Um, was this a friendly rib? I don't know if you and Joe are friends or not. If so, ha ha. If not, not cool zues not cool.

Bball
07-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Let me rephrase...
Heath Ledger became the Joker. You did not look at the screen and see Heath Ledger. It was a complicated portrayal and one that required some chops to give a character like that a realism and gravitas. It was a fine line for him to not just appear to be a clown. He pulled it off masterfully IMHO with both subtleties and broad strokes.

OTOH, Nicholson's portrayal was just a comfortable comic book take on the role. It wasn't anything that was a stretch for Nicholson or the character. There was nothing subtle about the role and maybe thereI never once looked at the screen and didn't know Jack was the Joker. He didn't IMHO 'become' the Joker. Not that there's anything wrong with that because Ledger's Joker wouldn't have been right for that movie anymore than Nicholoson's would've been right for TDK.

Peck
07-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Hey guys I've started a new Batman thread so we can let this go back to being about other movies and stuff.

Thanks

Suaveness
07-26-2012, 02:32 PM
There are movies other than Batman?

presto123
07-26-2012, 07:43 PM
There are movies other than Batman?

Thank God!

cdash
07-26-2012, 10:23 PM
Thank God!

Yeah dude, you weren't the only one that loved Ice Age 4!!!!

presto123
07-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah dude, you weren't the only one that loved Ice Age 4!!!!

I don't do the Ice Age movies. Don't mean to hate on Batman I just find it to be a little over-hyped and over-rated. Heck......I own The Dark Knight on blu-ray.

Sparhawk
07-27-2012, 09:09 AM
The Grey.

Did not see that ending happening. Just a brutal movie. It was awesome!

Trader Joe
07-27-2012, 10:33 AM

Yes, but what we are discussing is Nolan's versions so the rest is fairly irrelevant. Also, I'm the jerk? You're the one who basically told me I didn't understand the meaning of depth.

EDIT: Didn't see that this was getting redirected back to other movies, my bad.

Unclebuck
07-27-2012, 01:39 PM
The Grey.

Did not see that ending happening. Just a brutal movie. It was awesome!

Very under-appreciated movie

Hicks
07-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Very under-appreciated movie

I was very satisfied with that movie. When someone pointed out plot holes later it took some of the wind out of my sails, but more recently someone else made the point that when the core of or the main purpose/reason for a movie is an emotional message or theme or something to that effect, it's easier to be more forgiving of plot holes than a movie that's made to show off how clever/smart/thoughtout it all is. The Grey is definitely a movie centered around emotions/spirit/psyche first and foremost.

Constellations
07-28-2012, 02:21 AM
Joe Dirt.........lol

Peck
07-28-2012, 03:30 AM
The Sitter.

Complete & total garbage, another name that rhymes with sitter would have been more appropriate. I've seen a lot of bad movies in my life and this one ranks right up there with some of the worst I have ever seen.

Sparhawk
07-29-2012, 01:48 PM
The Dark Knight Rises.

*****ing awesome.

Suaveness
07-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Why isn't it December yet? I want to watch the Hobbit

presto123
07-30-2012, 02:11 AM
Office Space. Still as classic as ever. Anyone see the movie Mike Judge did recently?

Hicks
07-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Why isn't it December yet? I want to watch the Hobbit

Did you hear that they might make it THREE movies in the end?

I already felt that two movies was pushing it, but three? I mean I'm excited to see whatever they come up with (I'm a big fan of their LOTR trilogy), but there's not a lot of source material with the Hobbit when compared to LOTR, and they don't have the rights to all of Tolkein's works (at least not The Silmarillion), plus they've already created at least one new character already to help pad things out. The more they deviate, the more nervous I get. But maybe it'll all be fine. :)

Then again, they originally shot Helm's Deep with Arwin there. :zip:

Hicks
07-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Wow. Looks like it really IS going to be three movies now:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57327

The way Peter Jackson explains it has me excited.

Who would have ever thought back in 2003 that the Hobbit would generate THREE MORE frickin' movies.

I'm glad that it's being made by all of the same people as LOTR, though. I love me some continuity when the stories are supposed to be happening in the same universe/storyline.

Like with Batman, re-casting (due to scheduling conflicts) Rachel Dawes will always bug me. Would have had more of an impact to see Katie Holmes in TDK.

RWB
07-30-2012, 12:27 PM
Got around to watching The Innkeepers..... not bad/not good, just kind of there. Basically a ghost story about a haunted hotel with better character development than the slasher flicks. While I appreciate a story over absolute gross out movies this one still is pretty slow and relied too heavily on jump scares.

presto123
07-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Got around to watching The Innkeepers..... not bad/not good, just kind of there. Basically a ghost story about a haunted hotel with better character development than the slasher flicks. While I appreciate a story over absolute gross out movies this one still is pretty slow and relied too heavily on jump scares.

I agree. I love horror movies but I was not impressed with this one. Lady In Black was much better IMO.

Suaveness
07-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Wow. Looks like it really IS going to be three movies now:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57327

The way Peter Jackson explains it has me excited.

Who would have ever thought back in 2003 that the Hobbit would generate THREE MORE frickin' movies.

I'm glad that it's being made by all of the same people as LOTR, though. I love me some continuity when the stories are supposed to be happening in the same universe/storyline.

Like with Batman, re-casting (due to scheduling conflicts) Rachel Dawes will always bug me. Would have had more of an impact to see Katie Holmes in TDK.

I think 2 movies would have been perfect. Three seems to be pushing it for me, but if anybody can pull this off, it's Jackson. The big question I have is whether or not the story will flow well, leading up to the climactic battle in movie 3 (well actually it'll be 2 battles, 1 with the necromancer, and the one with the dwarves). IF they do this correctly, and use source material from the appendicies, then this could turn out really well. There is certainly plenty of information available. I'm really excited, and I'm praying that he does a good job with it. I think all of the material he uses is going to be really interesting for those who love LOTR, the key is whether it all fits together.

Constellations
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Im interested in the running time now that there is three films for 1 book. The Highly trilogy that is.

bellisimo
07-31-2012, 03:18 AM
This Means War - not a bad chick flick.

cdash
07-31-2012, 03:58 PM
The Sitter.

Complete & total garbage, another name that rhymes with sitter would have been more appropriate. I've seen a lot of bad movies in my life and this one ranks right up there with some of the worst I have ever seen.

Not gonna lie, I saw it, and laughed. Thought it was pretty funny.

Kegboy
07-31-2012, 10:01 PM

:sadyes:

Heisenberg
08-01-2012, 03:11 AM
Watched Hellboy again. Those movies are seriously underrated, perfect blend of big stunts and explosions you expect from a superhero flick with a bunch of snark and genuinely funny stuff. Ron Perlman as Hellboy's just genius casting.

Guiellmero Del Toro made it though, can't expect anything but just awesome. Pacific Rim's going to be stellar.

Skaut_Ech
08-01-2012, 09:06 AM
Pacific Rim's going to be stellar.

:amen::grinyes:

Peck
08-03-2012, 08:27 PM
21 Jump Street.

This is odd, I didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would. I also loved all of the cameo's of the old cast members.

God I'm old.

I used to watch 21 jump street when it was live. :(

spreedom
08-03-2012, 11:29 PM
21 Jump Street.

This is odd, I didn't hate it nearly as much as I thought I would. I also loved all of the cameo's of the old cast members.

God I'm old.

I used to watch 21 jump street when it was live. :(

Channing Tatum, who I normally think sucks, is hysterical in 21 Jump Street. He steals every scene he's in IMO.

Steagles
08-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Semi Pro.

Sent from #ColtsNation using Tapatalk

jeffg-body
08-05-2012, 09:58 PM
The fifth element

AesopRockOn
08-06-2012, 10:32 PM
The Hunger Games - Though I found about a third of it somewhat entertaining, it's a pretty bad movie. Like they decided to do really obvious, less dynamic rip-offs of Battle Royale and The Truman Show, and thought, "That's enough for a movie." I guess there was some stuff cut to fit the running time (though it's still super long); can't tell whether that's character stuff that ends up sounding hilariously corny in the movie or thematic stuff that becomes dully obvious. I will give props to Jennifer Lawrence and especially Stanley Tucci, who was the only one who made the ridiculously hideous costume/art direction work. I found the love angle to be slightly more toned down than I expected (considering the demo) but it wasn't explored enough to be interesting. Not even getting into the poor effects or unskilled world-building, this movie was just lame, sometimes unintentionally hilarious (Heal him with the soup!), but lame.

Heisenberg
08-06-2012, 11:34 PM
Stanley Tucci seriously kills every single thing he's in. I don't think he could carry his own movie or anything necessarily, but he's really underappreciated.

Sparhawk
08-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Stanley Tucci seriously kills every single thing he's in. I don't think he could carry his own movie or anything necessarily, but he's really underappreciated.

In some of the movies I've seen him in, he plays his role so well (usually playing a bad guy) that I'm usually always frothing with hatred for him. When an actor/actress has made an audience member feel some type of emotion, they were successful.

bellisimo
08-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Ice Age 4 - its starting to get to the point where it feels like they're just milking it for all they got with this franchise....

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - I was expecting it to be bad...and it delivered - terrible overall - don't really know why I made myself suffer by sitting through it till the end...

Sherlock Holmes 2 - so far watched only the first half of it and it feels like it is all over the place - can't say I'm so inclined to watch the rest of this disaster

The Dark Knight Rises - finally a good movie after all this crap I've watched recently. Loved the tone of the movie but for a movie about Batman, I would've liked to see more of Batman on the screen...

Sparhawk
08-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - I was expecting it to be bad...and it delivered - terrible overall - don't really know why I made myself suffer by sitting through it till the end...

Same reason I forced myself to watch Dragonball.

Luckily I have netflix and just skimmed The Last Airbender.

Dragonball was by far infinitely worse than the Last Airbender though.

bellisimo
08-08-2012, 02:49 AM
We Bought a Zoo - good family flick

Heisenberg
08-08-2012, 05:21 AM
http://cf.badassdigest.com/_uploads/images/24375/lincoln__span.jpg

That's Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln for Spielberg's upcoming flick. This is going to be wonderful.

ilive4sports
08-08-2012, 05:51 PM
but is he a vampire killer?

Stryder
08-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Silent House.

Meh. Thought it'd be more like High Tension. The high point for me was Elizabeth Olsen's constant cleavage.

bellisimo
08-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - I liked it - was more deep than I anticipated it to be.

Steagles
08-10-2012, 11:33 PM
The Dark Knight Rises. LOVED IT.

jeffg-body
08-12-2012, 01:40 AM
That Was Then and This Is Now- An old movie but is a good one and a great book.

AesopRockOn
08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Think Like A Man - There are good moments in the script and the movie features a ton of very talented actors that America only gets to see in Tyler Perry movies. That said, it's really just a two-hour advertisement for Steve Harvey's stupid book. Its predictability, unbelievability, and archetyping aren't quite at Perry level. (At least there's some "Man, you ain't gon get no girl!" sexism in addition to the usual "Girl, you ain't gon get no man!" sexism.) It starts out fairly enjoyable with the crowd-pleasiness but, by the third act, the product integration has reached Full Retard. Not really recommended.

Heisenberg
08-14-2012, 02:31 AM
The Bill & Ted movies hold up surprisingly well. And no, I'm absolutely not kidding. Those're good, solid, fun flicks. And honestly, the premise that a couple of idiot burnouts created utopia by penning a power ballad is sort of...endearing I guess. Lennon eat your heart out.

SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!

bellisimo
08-14-2012, 02:52 AM
The Hunger Games - it felt like an "artistic" version of Battle Royale...

bellisimo
08-16-2012, 04:17 AM
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - good British flick

RWB
08-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Jaws blu-ray!!!!! Life is good.

billbradley
08-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Beasts of the Southern Wild - Awesome.

Hicks
08-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Jaws blu-ray!!!!! Life is good.

I got mine in the mail, just need to find time to sit down and relax to watch it without taking breaks.

jeffg-body
08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Had to watch Crocadile Dundee with my daughter just to see her reaction throughout the movie.

spreedom
08-17-2012, 11:49 PM
Horrible Bosses is available on demand... what's kind of strange is that it's the unrated Director's Cut as opposed to the standard release.

Sandman21
08-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Expendables 2 - I honestly think its better than the first one.... and I loved the first one.

jeffg-body
08-19-2012, 11:20 PM
I went for another movie to see the daughter's reactions- Caddy Shack.

Heisenberg
08-20-2012, 01:09 AM
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Infinity out of ten. I'm a pretty harsh comedy critic, but it's funny every single time. Chevy Chase before he turned into a curmudgeon, Randy Quaid when he was still getting work (that dude's still awesome). Cousin Eddie should just make cameos in every comedy flick driving through in his RV.

Unclebuck
08-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Beasts of the Southern Wild - Awesome.

This is the first I have heard of this movie and then I see it listed in EW's possible Oscar list. Tell me more about the movie if you would

billbradley
08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
This is the first I have heard of this movie and then I see it listed in EW's possible Oscar list. Tell me more about the movie if you would

I was really excited about the movie, so I felt myself get a little disappointed because I thought I was going to get more of a Katrina story and the plot seemed kind of basic or slow moving. But the film is so wonderfully narrated by the little girl who gives such a great performance it's impossible not to be moved, it just builds on you. There is some well done imagery and I liked the color of everything, but the acting coupled with such innocent yet powerful interpretations of life from this little girl makes for a great watch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZF7i2n5NXLo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CableKC
08-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - I liked it - was more deep than I anticipated it to be.
Unless the movie ends with the Earth blowing up like the Death Star blows up at the end of Star Wars.....I would be disappointed. It's a movie about the end of the world....it has it in the name of the movie....I really hope that the world blows up at the end.

Hicks
08-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Daredevil. (Director's Cut)

I hadn't seen this movie in probably 8 years. I liked it more back then. Numerous nitpicks I won't bother counting up but in the end I just didn't care for this particular stab at a super hero movie. I don't think it's bad but mediocre.

I'll be interested in seeing how they may eventually reboot this, though.

Suaveness
08-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Daredevil. (Director's Cut)

I hadn't seen this movie in probably 8 years. I liked it more back then. Numerous nitpicks I won't bother counting up but in the end I just didn't care for this particular stab at a super hero movie. I don't think it's bad but mediocre.

I'll be interested in seeing how they may eventually reboot this, though.

Daredevil has gone back to Marvel now. So whatever they decide to do with it, I think it'll turn out ok.

AesopRockOn
08-24-2012, 05:23 PM
The Cabin in the Woods - Probably my favorite movie of the year. Such a brilliant disection of pop culture and society by Goddard/Whedon. You could see spin offs of this idea in every genre, sub-genre, and niche around the world. It's too bad that Whedon will be doing the next Avengers, since now he has "**** you" money to produce four or five more of these kinds of movies. In that vein, if this movie had $10-15 million more in budget for the effects, it would have felt a little better. Still a great use of budget though District 9 is still the high watermark for that. It's the kind of material that exponetially rewards revisiting and discussion. I have happily pre-ordered the **** out of it.

Hicks
08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Speaking of pre-ordering that movie (which I have)... why the **** is it so damned expensive relative to other blu-ray releases? When I last checked Amazon.com yesterday, it was still about $33 or $34. It started at something like $36 or $37. :wtf:

AesopRockOn
08-24-2012, 05:50 PM
No idea, though a lot of time, as the release date nears, Amazon (and others) will bring down the price to entice. I've also preordered the first season of Homeland for $35 (http://www.amazon.com/Homeland-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B005LAJ17M) and that retail listing is $70. I feel obligated to pay for it since I missed it in theaters and may or may not have watched it through less-than-honorable means. (Using B&N gift card money, so it doesn't hurt too bad.)

Heisenberg
08-25-2012, 02:04 AM
Daredevil has gone back to Marvel now. So whatever they decide to do with it, I think it'll turn out ok.

Apparently Joe Carnahan was set to make the new one but with Fox (right?) losing the rights who knows where that is. I'm not a comics fan at all so I don't know if it's an actual Daredevil storyline or whatever, but his version was going to take place in the 70s and be sort of, I don't know how to explain it, like gritty flamboyant. Think Warriors meets Dog Day Afternoon sorta. Who knows if it woulda worked, but the premise sounds great.

Sparhawk
08-26-2012, 10:24 AM
The Artist

What a fantastic movie. Reminded me a lot of Singing in the Rain, which is my fav musical, but without sound. Def recommend this for those that haven't seen it. The dog steals the show.

ECKrueger
08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Shoot Em Up and Crank High Voltage.

Enjoyed both just for the "fun" factor.

jeffg-body
08-26-2012, 10:54 PM
I am watching Taken right now.

Sparhawk
09-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Dark Shadows - Horrible...just as I thought.

21 Jump Street - Damn, what a hilarious movie. My wife and I were laughing about all the way through. Loved how they poked fun of hollywood for not coming up with anything original anymore, and the car chase scene where stuff didn't blow up was priceless.

Unclebuck
09-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Premium Rush was really good. Pure entertainment, it doesn't stick with you, but it was still really good. Exciting from start to finish .

In tone and my surprise that I liked it so much I would compare it to films such as Speed, Phone Booth, and Cellular. (especially Cellular)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/premium_rush/

AesopRockOn
09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Premium Rush was really good. Pure entertainment, it doesn't stick with you, but it was still really good. Exciting from start to finish .

In tone and my surprise that I liked it so much I would compare it to films such as Speed, Phone Booth, and Cellular. (especially Cellular)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/premium_rush/

The lawsuit behind this movie is kind of messed up. Apparently, they optioned the movie, waited a while, changed the guy to a bicyclist, and just hid the production from the original author. Via Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premium_Rush):

In 2011, a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement was filed by author Joe Quirk (http://www.pacersdigest.com/wiki/Joe_Quirk), claiming Premium Rush was based on Quirk's screenplay from his 1998 novel The Ultimate Rush (http://www.pacersdigest.com/wiki/The_Ultimate_Rush). The suit claimed many plot, character name, and scene similarities to Quirk's original screenplay.[13] (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#cite_note-nyt110821-12) In July 2012, federal judge Richard Seeborg declined to dismiss Quirk's claim that Sony Pictures (http://www.pacersdigest.com/wiki/Sony_Pictures), parent company of Columbia Pictures (http://www.pacersdigest.com/wiki/Columbia_Pictures), had breached an implied contract. The production company Pariah, director David Koepp and co-screenwriter John Kamps are also named in the suit.[4] (http://www.pacersdigest.com/#cite_note-thr-lawsuit-3)

Constellations
09-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Die Hard

Hicks
09-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Speaking of pre-ordering that movie (which I have)... why the **** is it so damned expensive relative to other blu-ray releases? When I last checked Amazon.com yesterday, it was still about $33 or $34. It started at something like $36 or $37. :wtf:

No idea, though a lot of time, as the release date nears, Amazon (and others) will bring down the price to entice. I've also preordered the first season of Homeland for $35 (http://www.amazon.com/Homeland-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/dp/B005LAJ17M) and that retail listing is $70. I feel obligated to pay for it since I missed it in theaters and may or may not have watched it through less-than-honorable means. (Using B&N gift card money, so it doesn't hurt too bad.)

It did finally drop to 19.99, by the way.

bellisimo
09-10-2012, 06:08 AM
IP Man & IP Man 2.

The first is absolutely wonderful - definitely worth a watch - the second one doesn't hold up as well as the first one, but if you really like the first one and would like to see more then its worth a check.

Sparhawk
09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
IP Man & IP Man 2.

The first is absolutely wonderful - definitely worth a watch - the second one doesn't hold up as well as the first one, but if you really like the first one and would like to see more then its worth a check.

Watched the first and it was pretty awesome. Haven't gotten to the 2nd one yet though.

Sparhawk
09-10-2012, 12:02 PM
The Lorax.

I never heard this story growing up, but I really liked the movie. Wife really liked it too.

Rilgansonia
09-11-2012, 01:51 AM
I watch SpiderMan last with my friends while celebrating one of friends birthday. We actually had a great time.

Constellations
09-11-2012, 05:08 AM
Pulp Fiction

Hicks
09-11-2012, 09:22 AM
v/h/s

Eh. It has some neat ideas, good effects, but I think I'm just past the point of movies like this scaring me. I'm still prone to jump-scares but that's about it. I thought the writing was a little weak, as was the plot.

Worth a look if you're at all into this genre, but lower your expectations.

bellisimo
09-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Ong-Bak - not enough fight scenes to warrant the justification of watching this movie...after watching IP Man - this felt like childs play...with annoying characters

Sparhawk
09-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Some Patton Oswalt standup.

That guy is one of my all time favorites.

Constellations
09-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Currently watching National Lampoon's: Vacation

bellisimo
09-14-2012, 05:19 AM
JCVD - Worth a watch if you were ever a fan of Van Damme - I really liked it

Heisenberg
09-14-2012, 05:37 AM
JCVD - Worth a watch if you were ever a fan of Van Damme - I really liked it

Worth a watch period. It's about as autobiographical as you'll get for a character like him, and when you give it a bit of thought Van Damme's life isn't all that much different than an NBA player, a handful of them anyway. Grow up dedicating their life to a sport they love just because they enjoy it, then the time comes that they're so good at it that they can make a substantial living doing it but the business that comes with that makes them grow to loathe it.

This really is something that interests me a lot. The Adonis athlete that's had life handed to him but grows to resent it. It's not that they don't work their asses off, the vast majority clearly do, but when you reach your peak before you even hit 30, then what? I can sit on the couch and say yeah it'd be nice to have a zillion dollars before I even hit 40, but all the goals you've been working towards are over. And you've got plenty of time left to go.

Sure, a lot of guys would just spend their money on women and cars and whatever, but I don't know, the post-retirement life of a world class athlete has to feel so empty. That viewpoint's a major reason why The Wrestler was so great for me.

Sparhawk
09-14-2012, 07:01 AM
Worth a watch period. It's about as autobiographical as you'll get for a character like him, and when you give it a bit of thought Van Damme's life isn't all that much different than an NBA player, a handful of them anyway. Grow up dedicating their life to a sport they love just because they enjoy it, then the time comes that they're so good at it that they can make a substantial living doing it but the business that comes with that makes them grow to loathe it.

This really is something that interests me a lot. The Adonis athlete that's had life handed to him but grows to resent it. It's not that they don't work their asses off, the vast majority clearly do, but when you reach your peak before you even hit 30, then what? I can sit on the couch and say yeah it'd be nice to have a zillion dollars before I even hit 40, but all the goals you've been working towards are over. And you've got plenty of time left to go.

Sure, a lot of guys would just spend their money on women and cars and whatever, but I don't know, the post-retirement life of a world class athlete has to feel so empty. That viewpoint's a major reason why The Wrestler was so great for me.

Very true. Really enjoyed the movie.

Shade
09-14-2012, 10:27 PM
Ghost Rider 2

If I didn't know better, I'd swear this was directed by Uwe Boll. Nauseating camera sequences, rampant overacting, and lots of needless filler make this one of Marvel's worst films to date.

D

Bball
09-15-2012, 04:16 AM
"Shutter Island"

So my question is....
I guess I believe he was crazy and hadn't stumbled onto a government conspiracy and ultimately caught in its trap. I guess... But which was the real story? Was he a pyromaniac that killed his wife or was he a marshal that killed his wife only after discovering she'd murdered their children and proven herself to be insane?

Were the doctors trying to implant this story that mitigated his guilt? If that was the true story then why did they tell him he was the most dangerous person on the island? That scenario wouldn't make him seem to be likely dangerous at all. Certainly not on par with someone who'd kill without remorse and for no reason.

Then at the end the implication is that he's duping them into giving him a lobotomy by only pretending to have relapsed into a delusional state. But that's also what opens the door to the above because Dr. Sheehan calls him "Teddy" instead of "Andrew Laeddis" as he willingly walks off with the others.

I'm confused....

Stryder
09-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Resident Evil: Retribution

I enjoyed it. I place it after 1 and 2 but before 3 and 4. The order for me is 1, 2, 5, 4, 3. All I will say is I hope for a 6th.

The Possession

Possessed little kids scare me. Enjoyed this one better than most possession or exorcism movies. Glad it wasn't a 'found footage' movie. The little girl did a great job with her role.

Natston
09-15-2012, 05:51 PM
"Shutter Island"

So my question is....
I guess I believe he was crazy and hadn't stumbled onto a government conspiracy and ultimately caught in its trap. I guess... But which was the real story? Was he a pyromaniac that killed his wife or was he a marshal that killed his wife only after discovering she'd murdered their children and proven herself to be insane?

Were the doctors trying to implant this story that mitigated his guilt? If that was the true story then why did they tell him he was the most dangerous person on the island? That scenario wouldn't make him seem to be likely dangerous at all. Certainly not on par with someone who'd kill without remorse and for no reason.

Then at the end the implication is that he's duping them into giving him a lobotomy by only pretending to have relapsed into a delusional state. But that's also what opens the door to the above because Dr. Sheehan calls him "Teddy" instead of "Andrew Laeddis" as he willingly walks off with the others.

I'm confused....

http://www.cracked.com/article_19919_5-movies-made-possible-by-characters-who-suck-at-their-job_p2.html

Unclebuck
09-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Arbitrage - With Richard gere. This is probably a movie they hope will be possible Osacr contender. It is pretty good. But nothing about it was anything better than just pretty good. It never felt real - I know it is only a movie, but it seemed never get fully engaged.

Skaut_Ech
09-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Drive

This film really had me....until the end. It felt like a mash-up of 80 Miami Vice style crime, mixed in with a film noir feel and a 70's European film sensibility. I really enjoyed it until then end, which defied logic, conclusion or satisfaction for me. Anyone else see this?

Unclebuck
09-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Drive

This film really had me....until the end. It felt like a mash-up of 80 Miami Vice style crime, mixed in with a film noir feel and a 70's European film sensibility. I really enjoyed it until then end, which defied logic, conclusion or satisfaction for me. Anyone else see this?

I saw it and enjoyed it, but I forget the ending. To me it wasn't a plot driven movie, more acting and atmosphere. I liked it overall, but didn't love it

Suaveness
09-19-2012, 05:27 PM
http://www.thehobbit.com/index.html#content=choose-your-moment

The next Hobbit trailer is out! There are 5 different trailer endings for your enjoyment.

I'm. so. excited.

Sookie
09-19-2012, 06:41 PM
21 Jump Street (for like, the eighth time) I felt like there hadn't been a truly funny movie in a while, and then out came Bridesmaids, 21 Jump Street and Ted, in about a year span.

Love this movie, hilarious. Honestly, Jonah Hill has become one of my favorite actors. Similar style of humor in his movies, but I like it.

cdash
09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
I saw it and enjoyed it, but I forget the ending. To me it wasn't a plot driven movie, more acting and atmosphere. I liked it overall, but didn't love it

Yeah I feel the same way about it. I saw it some months back and honestly don't remember the ending at all. I remember the acting and atmosphere, much like you did. The music too.

clownskull
09-19-2012, 08:40 PM
i just got the movie Aliens on blu-ray today. i hadn't seen the special edition they put on it as well as the regular theatrical version. almost a new movie with all the extra footage and it didn't make it worse like it did with the stars wars films. got a great deal on it at target for 14.99 so i am pleased with the purchase.

Hicks
09-19-2012, 09:02 PM
The blu ray of Aliens has fantastic picture quality. I've loved that movie for a long time (hence my username), and I'd never seen it look that good before. Really enjoyed watching it on BD.

clownskull
09-20-2012, 08:08 PM
The blu ray of Aliens has fantastic picture quality. I've loved that movie for a long time (hence my username), and I'd never seen it look that good before. Really enjoyed watching it on BD.

yes, the picture quality is definitely impressive. they obviously took great care of the film.

Hicks
09-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Alien looks amazing for a 1979 film as well on blu ray.

Sparhawk
09-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Wanderlust

More like WTF

Didn't hate this movie, but it wasn't exactly funny...just weird.

Natston
09-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Serenity and Enemy at the Gates were good blu-ray purchases for me recently.

Hicks
09-22-2012, 12:02 PM
I think I'm going to go see Dredd 3D this afternoon.

cdash
09-22-2012, 06:51 PM
The Master

Uhh...not a fan.

Hicks
09-22-2012, 09:41 PM
I think I'm going to go see Dredd 3D this afternoon.

I did end up going.

It was pretty good for what it was trying to be. I liked it well enough.

Dad of the Year showed up with his two elementary aged kids and his two year old baby... :rolleyes:

Sparhawk
09-23-2012, 07:21 AM
I did end up going.

It was pretty good for what it was trying to be. I liked it well enough.

Dad of the Year showed up with his two elementary aged kids and his two year old baby... :rolleyes:

Really don't get how theaters let parents go to violent movies with little kids...let alone a baby. Guess all they care about now is selling tickets.

Heisenberg
09-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Alien looks amazing for a 1979 film as well on blu ray.

Alien looks amazing period. That **** got made in 1979! I haven't looked it up but if the special effects team for that flick didn't get an Oscar then it's a travesty.

Anyway, watched Moonrise Kingdom last night. I like Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic a good bit, but I'm just over Wes Anderson. I have no clue how it's so well reviewed. It's not bad, it's just...there. Adapt your style, just a smidgen, take the damn camera off the tripod. Fantastic Mr. Fox was stellar though, I'll give him credit for his involvement there.

Natston
09-23-2012, 11:55 AM
Really don't get how theaters let parents go to violent movies with little kids...let alone a baby. Guess all they care about now is selling tickets.

Some do restrict kids at some point even with adult supervision, and could you imagine the outcry if they starting telling others what they can and cannot watch? But its also a reason why I don't go to early showings of newer releases...

Natston
09-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Has anyone watched Back to the Future on BD? I have been waiting for a minute for the price to drop, but I hate the wait, and I have been tempted once again...

Pig Nash
09-24-2012, 11:26 PM
The Master

Uhh...not a fan.

Why not? I reallllly liked it.

Jesser
09-25-2012, 06:05 AM
the last movie which i watched was expandables and now just planning to watch the resident evil5. expandables was awesome to watch and it was great action movie with the group of superstars like schwarzeneger , stellon etc. which makes it quiet interesting to watch

bellisimo
09-25-2012, 06:08 AM
Lawless - good flick

Hicks
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Has anyone watched Back to the Future on BD? I have been waiting for a minute for the price to drop, but I hate the wait, and I have been tempted once again...

I have it, but only watched one of them on BD and finished the trilogy in my iPad with the included digital copies. But I recall it being a good BD.

Go look up the review in blu-ray.com for details.

cdash
09-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Why not? I reallllly liked it.

It had no point, it was dumb, it was boring--I just didn't like it. The acting was incredible, the movie was beautifully shot, but I left that theater very excited that the movie was over.

Hicks
09-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Was there no character development? I was thinking about checking Master out.

Hicks
09-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Saw Looper today.

Darker than I expected. One scene in particular slightly rattled me by how disturbing it was.

It was also (sort of) more complex than expected, in a good way. Pretty good flick, though like most SciFi movies, particularly ones involving time travel, it sometimes didn't seem to make sense even within the world's context. But maybe I missed something or misunderstood.

Unclebuck
09-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Saw Looper today.

Darker than I expected. One scene in particular slightly rattled me by how disturbing it was.

It was also (sort of) more complex than expected, in a good way. Pretty good flick, though like most SciFi movies, particularly ones involving time travel, it sometimes didn't seem to make sense even within the world's context. But maybe I missed something or misunderstood.

I saw it also. I give them a lot of credit for making something that was IMO very unique. A lot of the scenes didn't really work, but overall I enjoyed the movie

Heisenberg
09-30-2012, 05:39 AM
Cabin In The Wooods gets...a 7ish outta 10.

It's honestly not very good as a stand alone movie at all, but the way the poked a ton of fun at old school slasher flicks from my childhood was, well, a ton of fun. I mean, snarky as ever Bradley Whitford and Richard Jenkins, c'mon. Tugging at my sensibilities here Whedon.

AesopRockOn
10-01-2012, 02:25 AM
Looper - Rian Johnson continues to make great movie after great movie. This is like Memento with interesting and relatable characters. If you have Johnson and Chris Nolan on a list of best writers/directors, Johnson has to move past Nolan. This movie, while full of questions and potential plot holes, is an inventive, yet highly accessible exercise in multiple genres. (Slashfilm posted a good article (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=slash+film+looper&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.slashfilm.com%2Ften-mysteries-in-looper-explained-by-director-rian-johnson%2F&ei=hDhpUObqN-HsigK7hICoBg&usg=AFQjCNEgpOLH4gd4oULW8bAfkjPskMPBMA) about some questions one might have about the movie.) I haven't felt this stoked on a mid-level sci-fi film since District 9. The cast is fantastic, especially Emily Blunt and the child actor. The third act veered into an odd, unexpected place, but was so able to enhance the emotional core of the story that it all worked for me. I don't want to be the next director who has to make a time travel movie.

CitW more pokes fun (or rips apart) the entire horror genre, I would say, not just the slashers.

Prometheus - It was pretty dumb, though some of the shots may make for attractive desktop wallpaper.

AesopRockOn
10-03-2012, 06:55 PM
The Master - I'm probably hopelessly biased towards PTA, but I really loved this. What surprised me about it is that it wasn't excessive at all, though most of it is very funny. (It's the closest PTA movie to comedy actually.) Sure, there are the long, lingering takes of beautifully framed sequences that PTA is famous for, but it's too concerned with transporting you into this unique place that has never been seen before to pretentiously dote on themes and meanings. The themes and purpose of the movie go back and forth like the two main characters, splitting time between truth and discipline, and sex and farts. DDL's performance in TWBB was probably more iconic in the history of movies, but Phoenix is just as out of this world. The way the score is used to build and complete the movie's atmosphere is remarkable as well. Sometimes storytelling is about making a cool plot and having the characters learn something. And sometimes it's about taking you to a place you've never been and making sure you'll never forget it. It sucks that we have to wait five years for every Paul Thomas Anderson movie, but it's worth it every time.

cdash
10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm more than fine waiting another 5 years for a PTA movie--and I'm not a hater by any means. TWBB is one of my favorite movies. I like most of his films, but this one was just asinine. It just wasn't an enjoyable movie to sit through for two and a half hours. It was just too boring. There were some pretty funny moments, granted, but it's not a movie I want to see again.

LoneGranger33
10-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't want to be the next director who has to make a time travel movie.

I guess Dean Parisot really has his work cut out for him on the set of Bill and Ted's 3.

Sparhawk
10-04-2012, 07:06 AM
I guess Dean Parisot really has his work cut out for him on the set of Bill and Ted's 3.

:laugh:

Sparhawk
10-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Wrath of Titans

Certainly better than the first (original can't be beat), but not near as good as the movie trailer made it out to be. Average at best, but worth at least one watch.

AesopRockOn
10-04-2012, 04:58 PM

So many burning questions with that movie, like will Keanu be able to top his last time travel movie?

cdash
10-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I am wildly excited about Lincoln. The second trailer came out and it looks better than the first. Spielberg is very hit or miss at this point in his career, but Daniel Day-Lewis never misses.

Heisenberg
10-05-2012, 01:02 AM
I am wildly excited about Lincoln. The second trailer came out and it looks better than the first. Spielberg is very hit or miss at this point in his career, but Daniel Day-Lewis never misses.

DDL's gonna kill it like always (outside of Nine) and once I see it I'll forever hear his voice when I read a Lincoln quote, but it seems like Spielberg's going the War Horse route with it. Just a big sweeping fluffy period piece that doesn't really explore much beyond the surface. That's fine I guess, but someone like Milos Forman with DDL woulda made it an all time great.

Suaveness
10-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Skyfall's new theme song, entitled "Skyfall" by Adele is out. It's fantastic, really. One of the best theme songs they've had in awhile (and I like Casino Royale's). I kinda hope they have Adele just continue to the songs herself from now on.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/list-of-the-day/adele-skyfall-ten-greatest-james-bond-theme-songs-224055247.html

cdash
10-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Skyfall's new theme song, entitled "Skyfall" by Adele is out. It's fantastic, really. One of the best theme songs they've had in awhile (and I like Casino Royale's). I kinda hope they have Adele just continue to the songs herself from now on.

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/list-of-the-day/adele-skyfall-ten-greatest-james-bond-theme-songs-224055247.html

I am not remotely close to being a fan of this song. Adele's music just doesn't do it for me. I am excited about this movie though.

Heisenberg
10-07-2012, 06:23 AM
Looper's probably the movie of the year for me so far. Haven't seen The Master yet but it's probably the only thing that's been released that I might think is better.

That or the 3 Stooges. I'm only like 95% kidding with that.

Sparhawk
10-07-2012, 09:12 AM

While the song isn't great, it's really good for a theme song and harkens back to older James Bond theme songs. Two thumbs up. Adele doesn't disappoint.

AesopRockOn
10-08-2012, 04:32 PM
DDL's gonna kill it like always (outside of Nine) and once I see it I'll forever hear his voice when I read a Lincoln quote, but it seems like Spielberg's going the War Horse route with it. Just a big sweeping fluffy period piece that doesn't really explore much beyond the surface. That's fine I guess, but someone like Milos Forman with DDL woulda made it an all time great.

Agreed mostly, though Tony Kushner writing the script + the uncertainty of AL's orientation might make for an interesting angle.

Unclebuck
10-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Argo - wow that was a great movie my favorite of the year. Don't be scared away by the serious subject matter. There is a lot of humor in the movie and it is told in a very fast paced and highly entertaining way. Certain best picture nominee and very possibly the best picture winner. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

Sparhawk
10-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Argo - wow that was a great movie my favorite of the year. Don't be scared away by the serious subject matter. There is a lot of humor in the movie and it is told in a very fast paced and highly entertaining way. Certain best picture nominee and very possibly the best picture winner. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

John Stewart was gushing on this movie, and he almost never does that. He'll say it's a good movie and you should go see it, but for this one, he was just straight gushing.

I know they changed some of the events for America, which I don't like, but I def want to see it.

I still need to watch my Netflix DVD movie, Cabin in the Woods...have had it for over a week now.

thewholefnshow31
10-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Drive and Get the Gringo

Drive was a little slow at times, but good lord the violence in that movie was just vicious. I thought it was an ok movie, but I did not see why there was a lot of gushing over this movie.

Get the Gringo was fantastic. It reminded me of Payback and love the style of this movie.

Natston
10-20-2012, 04:56 AM
That's My Boy

Total throwaway movie except for Rex Ryan and Vanilla Ice...

Dab
10-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I didn't like the makeup job they did on Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Looper to make him look more believable as a younger version of Bruce Willis. I thought it just made him look weird.

Major Cold
10-20-2012, 12:12 PM
I Bought a Zoo

Good feel good film.

clownskull
10-21-2012, 11:13 AM
That's My Boy

Total throwaway movie except for Rex Ryan and Vanilla Ice...

i can't stand adam sandler. should probably stay away from anything he does. jack and jill looked like a turd as well and thankfully it bombed. i think his days are numbered as far as being able to get movies made since i think he has run out of ideas and material. i hope i'm right on this.

cdash
10-21-2012, 01:39 PM
i can't stand adam sandler. should probably stay away from anything he does. jack and jill looked like a turd as well and thankfully it bombed. i think his days are numbered as far as being able to get movies made since i think he has run out of ideas and material. i hope i'm right on this.

You aren't. His movies still, incredibly, do fairly well at the box office. He clearly doesn't give a **** what the critics have to say.

I liked his stuff from the 90s for the most part, but his last several films have been absolutely brutal. I haven't even watched most of them but really the trailers tell you everything you need to know about them.

Suaveness
10-22-2012, 10:11 PM

I'll be honest, I was real hesitant to watch this as it's not my usual movie style I go see. But I thought it was a terrific movie, great acting and great humor. And I was definitely on the edge of my seat towards the end

Sparhawk
10-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Cabin in the Woods.

I liked it. I thought the ending fell a little flat though, but it was otherwise pretty good. Wife didn't like it....

Stryder
10-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Paranormal Activity 4.

Terrible. Couple of good scares. But overall, terrible. I'm not sure why I pay money (although it was a $5 showing) for this crap. But, it is Halloween, and I wanted to see a scary movie. Should have watched Sinister instead.

Kegboy
10-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Cloud Atlas

Really very impressive. I can certainly see people not liking it, however. It's long, disjointed, and can be very confusing. I found some of the sequences boring at first. But I got wrapped up in each one and by the end just wished there'd been more of all of them.

Oh, btw...

Soylent Green is people!

[edit] Also, the film is at times surprisingly, graphically violent, with some nudity and simulated sex thrown in for good measure. That's not a tease, it's really a miniscule amount of a three hour movie. Just wanted to warn the squeamish that it earns its R rating.

Sparhawk
10-28-2012, 09:32 AM
Magic Mike

And no, I didn't watch the entire thing. I was on the computer and my wife rented it. You do get to see Olivia Mund's boobs in it, so that was nice, and it was at the beginning of the movie. She is so hot. hahaha Other than that, the parts I saw weren't that interesting.

Started to watch Horrible Bosses, but haven't finished just yet. Didn't think I was gonna like it, but it was pretty good from what I saw.

Trader Joe
10-28-2012, 03:56 PM
nvm

Shade
10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Seed of Chucky

I like cheesy horror films as much as the next guy, but this movie was waaaaay over the top, non-sensical, and just plain stupid.

F

Unclebuck
10-29-2012, 07:23 AM
I also saw Cloud Atlas. There is a lot of good and a lot of bad in this movie. There was a point about an hour and 15 minutes in when I had almost given up on the movie, it was getting tiresome and annoying. Then all of a sudden it picks up speed and draws you in, but I feel you have to wade through a lot of the movie to start to enjoy it. I know if I had watched this at home on Blu-Ray, I never would have finished it unless I was forced too.

The biggest problem was 6 separate and disconnected storylines that for about 2 hours don't seem to be leading anywhere. In many ways it was a jumbled mess. If you are someone who needs to know what is going on at every moment, if you need to know who is who and if you need to feel like the movie is moving towards something - then this movie will drive you crazy. But if you are able to just enjoy the movie as it goes along, because even for the first 2 hours each plotline is interesting, and if you can just sort of let the movie wash over you - you might love this movie.

Overall for me it was a mixed bag, there were times when I was sitting there that I wished it would just end, but I must admit that the last 45 minutes or so are excellent - it turns into an emotional story to a degree that is worth seeing.

I do give the movie makers a ton of credit as it feels completely original (even though it is based upon on a book) , the acting is good, the look of the film is amazing. And I think you will enjoy it if you are patient as you are watching.

Sparhawk
10-29-2012, 09:03 AM
I also saw Cloud Atlas. There is a lot of good and a lot of bad in this movie. There was a point about an hour and 15 minutes in when I had almost given up on the movie, it was getting tiresome and annoying. Then all of a sudden it picks up speed and draws you in, but I feel you have to wade through a lot of the movie to start to enjoy it. I know if I had watched this at home on Blu-Ray, I never would have finished it unless I was forced too.

The biggest problem was 6 separate and disconnected storylines that for about 2 hours don't seem to be leading anywhere. In many ways it was a jumbled mess. If you are someone who needs to know what is going on at every moment, if you need to know who is who and if you need to feel like the movie is moving towards something - then this movie will drive you crazy. But if you are able to just enjoy the movie as it goes along, because even for the first 2 hours each plotline is interesting, and if you can just sort of let the movie wash over you - you might love this movie.

Overall for me it was a mixed bag, there were times when I was sitting there that I wished it would just end, but I must admit that the last 45 minutes or so are excellent - it turns into an emotional story to a degree that is worth seeing.

I do give the movie makers a ton of credit as it feels completely original (even though it is based upon on a book) , the acting is good, the look of the film is amazing. And I think you will enjoy it if you are patient as you are watching.

Seeing it this weekend. :)

BHenderson
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
That's my Boy

bellisimo
10-29-2012, 05:18 PM
anyone seen Skyfall or Taken 2 yet?

RWB
10-30-2012, 09:16 AM
Just kind of a heads up for those who like to purchase blu-rays.... Best Buy has some decent deals at $5 bucks for 'Silence of the Lambs, Jeepers Creepers, Return of the Living Dead, Child's Play, and other Horror flicks right now. Shoot at those prices you're close to a rental.

Sorry for the intrusion.... back to the reviews,

Heisenberg
11-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't know if I've gone soft or what, but I'm a 28 year old single man with no offspring and I legitimately liked We Bought A Zoo. Sucker for animals I guess. And Scarlett Johannsen.

ilive4sports
11-03-2012, 11:55 PM
I don't know if I've gone soft or what, but I'm a 28 year old single man with no offspring and I legitimately liked We Bought A Zoo. Sucker for animals I guess. And Scarlett Johannsen.
going soft and Scarlett Johannsen in the same post?

Heisenberg
11-04-2012, 04:27 AM

I do give the movie makers a ton of credit as it feels completely original (even though it is based upon on a book) , the acting is good, the look of the film is amazing. And I think you will enjoy it if you are patient as you are watching.I'm intending to watch it expecting to be pretty dissatisfied with wanting to see a coherent film but being impressed by the general scope. Internet folks seem to be of the opinion that it's an impossible book to adapt, but I'll probably approach it the same way I did with The Fountain. Meaning I won't know what I just watched, but it was gorgeous.

avoidingtheclowns
11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
I don't know if I've gone soft or what, but I'm a 28 year old single man with no offspring and I legitimately liked We Bought A Zoo.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_makeukSGSM1r4kxexo1_500.jpg (http://levelfivelaserlotus.tumblr.com/post/31817182054/from-harmontown-dans-story-structure-applied-to)

Sookie
11-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Magic Mike.

Fantastic movie.
Don't ask me about the plot though.

Suaveness
11-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Going to see Skyfall tonight. So, so excited.

Peck
11-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Wreck it Ralph was surprisingly a very good film.

Very entertaining & it's one of those films that while made for kids it has tons of old school ref. in that adults can enjoy more than they can.

Suaveness
11-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Skyfall was excellent, everything I was hoping for. Bardem and Craig were both terrific.

Hicks
11-10-2012, 11:30 PM
I also really liked Skyfall.

Sparhawk
11-10-2012, 11:41 PM
Team America.

"America, ***** yeah!" The sex scene always makes me laugh so hard.