PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Are you guys talking about the same Era that produced movies like The King's Speech or The Good Shepherd?

Entertainment for the most part has operated over a similar spectrum over much of humanity's existence, there has always been instant gratification type media and drawn out media. I just sort of resent, or dislike the opinion that is often the default that some people go to of "These dang kids!"

That reasoning has always been present in media and it's just not very solid reasoning to me.

Anyway, probably not the true thread for this discussion.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
No one said there's not still slow movies, dude.

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I understand, I just think sometimes people discount stuff that is produced now as being all twitch, all flash, no substance. I'm not saying you were necessarily doing that, but it's an issue that bothers me enough that I always do feel the need to comment on it. This generation is not a whole lot different than any other generation. Time progresses, technology changes, kids adopt it, it's a story as old as time.

BRushWithDeath
02-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Are you guys talking about the same Era that produced movies like The King's Speech or The Good Shepherd?

Geoff Pevere of the Toronto Star had one of my favorite and most accurate reviews of any movie I've encounted in his line about The Good Shepherd.

It's like watching a fish stare at you from inside the magnifying wall of an aquarium, and about as exciting.

Although, if I'm being honest, the leopard shark at Kona Jack's gets my blood pumping more than this snoozefest did.

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
I remember the month that the Good Shepherd was one of the movies being rotated on IU's dorm movie channel my freshman year. Much sleeping was done that month.

Unclebuck
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
I understand, I just think sometimes people discount stuff that is produced now as being all twitch, all flash, no substance. I'm not saying you were necessarily doing that, but it's an issue that bothers me enough that I always do feel the need to comment on it. This generation is not a whole lot different than any other generation. Time progresses, technology changes, kids adopt it, it's a story as old as time.

My only point is, movies today in general (note: pointing out exceptions do not disprove the general trend) are much faster paced and a lot more wordy than they were 20 to 30 years ago. Movies that were thought to be action packed and fast paced movies in the early 90's if you watch them today they seem much slower. Example - the Fugitive with Harrison Ford from 1993 at the time seemed like a movie that never stopped was tense and fastpaced from start to finish, but watch it today and it seems like a slow movie for that genre.

Another good example is the movie Heat. That movie seems at the time fastpaced, not is seems rather slow.

Another trend is movies used to be less wordy. That is why I think the movie Drive seems very different in 2012, that same exact movie in 1989 would seem more normally paced.

TV has probably changed more than movies. Watch an action show from the 80's and compare to day and it is a huge difference. Even dramas and comedies are much faster. Scenes are so much shorter, they move from scene to scene much more rapidly.

Sparhawk
02-27-2012, 10:20 PM
My only point is, movies today in general (note: pointing out exceptions do not disprove the general trend) are much faster paced and a lot more wordy than they were 20 to 30 years ago. Movies that were thought to be action packed and fast paced movies in the early 90's if you watch them today they seem much slower. Example - the Fugitive with Harrison Ford from 1993 at the time seemed like a movie that never stopped was tense and fastpaced from start to finish, but watch it today and it seems like a slow movie for that genre.

Another good example is the movie Heat. That movie seems at the time fastpaced, not is seems rather slow.

Another trend is movies used to be less wordy. That is why I think the movie Drive seems very different in 2012, that same exact movie in 1989 would seem more normally paced.

TV has probably changed more than movies. Watch an action show from the 80's and compare to day and it is a huge difference. Even dramas and comedies are much faster. Scenes are so much shorter, they move from scene to scene much more rapidly.

I'll admit that my attention span is that of a gnat anymore. Probably cause I work at a computer all day.

However, the reason I didn't like Drive wasn't because it was slow paced (I don't mind that at all). The violence was very violent, and it just wasn't what I was expecting. I had hoped for some very cool car chases, but that wasn't the case.

My favorite movie of all time isn't very fast paced at all, Shawshank Redemption.

AesopRockOn
02-28-2012, 03:16 AM
The Interrupters - A ton of great content that highlights the struggles of inner city youth, the causes and symptoms of poverty, and just how ****ing stupid violence is and its paradoxically ingrained-in-us nature. Not much narrative to bring it all together though. It certainly held my interest and I felt terrible for those kids, but it was a message movie with no message, at least not a unified one. I almost felt like it became a competition in the viewer's mind to see which interrupter could help the most delinquents (Cobe won.). Waiting for Superman worked much better as a movie, though it may not have had some of the raw reality this had. Recommended.

Every Pixar movie other than the Cars ones is better than E.T.

If there is going to be a discussion of "then vs. now," you guys should bring up some examples. Though I haven't seen any of them, I don't get the sense that the Twilight movies are exactly fast-paced. Kids have sat through eight Harry Potter movies, the Transformers movies, Avatar, The Dark Knight are all really long movies. If you don't try to control for changes in film-making style, technology, and popularity/receipts, it seems to come down to cherry picking the movies you think explains your point.

The only difference in TV other than the fact that it's better in all ways, is that network stuff is way more watered down and politically correct (offensively inoffensive, I'd like to call it.) in contrast to cable and pay cable. The edginess that used to be on display in some shows like All in the Family or even The Twilight Zone (oh how teenaged girls have ****ed that word up!) is just on different networks now. The only degradation has taken place in non-fiction, in "news" especially. There's a much more fruitful venue for any ADD hypotheses.

Sherlock
03-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Good movie. Stupid humans.

I enjoy the moment of the rise of the alps.
Some strange feeling or conflicts of emotion and sanity involve.

It make me re-think my ideas on race and class conflicts.

I love this movie.

KingGeorge
03-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Act of Valor

ilive4sports
03-03-2012, 04:53 PM
I enjoy the moment of the rise of the alps.
Some strange feeling or conflicts of emotion and sanity involve.

It make me re-think my ideas on race and class conflicts.

I love this movie.

we really don't treat those mountains fairly :D

Dgreenwell3
03-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Act of Valor

I cried at the end of that film...literally tears (granted I am biased dad was a SEAL) great film. Great. A guy in front of us stood up at the end when the names of dead SEALs were running and said "what a freaking waste of money and time." my father looked him in the eye and said, "Sit down now." he did was pretty hilarious.

KingGeorge
03-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I cried at the end of that film...literally tears (granted I am biased dad was a SEAL) great film. Great. A guy in front of us stood up at the end when the names of dead SEALs were running and said "what a freaking waste of money and time." my father looked him in the eye and said, "Sit down now." he did was pretty hilarious.

It was a great movie. I don't know how anyone could leave disappointed.

joeyd
03-04-2012, 04:48 PM
It was a great movie. I don't know how anyone could leave disappointed.

My 10 year old is into the military, especially WWII and has seen most war movies except Saving Private Ryan, whose opening sequence is really intense. Do you think it's appropriate for him? He can handle R movies, but I don't take him to any movies that I know contain sex and nudity.

vapacersfan
03-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Just saw acts of valor. Loved it.

Not great acting, but amazing action and a great storyline. I actually teared up a bit at the end.

KingGeorge
03-04-2012, 06:16 PM
My 10 year old is into the military, especially WWII and has seen most war movies except Saving Private Ryan, whose opening sequence is really intense. Do you think it's appropriate for him? He can handle R movies, but I don't take him to any movies that I know contain sex and nudity.

I think it would be appropriate. He will really like it if he is into military movies.

AesopRockOn
03-04-2012, 11:21 PM
Being Elmo - Not a lot of things get to me emotionally, but anything having to do with making kids smile and laugh is pretty much a surefire way to turn me into a little pussy. The movie is only 76 minutes long but manages to squeeze in a lot of interesting details about puppetry, early kids television, and the story of Kevin Clash himself. Maybe the films nominated for Best Documentary were all super amazing, but it's hard to believe considering how wonderful and life-affirming this movie is. If you're even mildly interested in the Muppets, Sesame Street, or have kids, I can' t imagine not enjoying and appreciating this man's work. It just went on Watch Instantly.

joeyd
03-05-2012, 02:56 AM
Chronicle. Nice take on the superhero/superpowers story arc.

Sparhawk
03-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Chronicle. Nice take on the superhero/superpowers story arc.

It was really good.

Sparhawk
03-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Anyone see John Carter? I'm thinking about seeing it today, but not quite sure if I should.

bellisimo
03-12-2012, 11:09 AM
Moneyball - watched it with 2 others who don't follow/care for baseball but still liked the movie a lot.

Sparhawk
03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
50/50

Really enjoyed this movie, but started off pretty slow.

Hugo

Very enjoyable movie.

jeffg-body
03-12-2012, 11:08 PM
As painful as it was, it waqs The Smurfs with my little girls.

AesopRockOn
03-18-2012, 05:07 AM
21 Jump Street - Thoroughly enjoyable and funny all the way through. One of the few recent action-comedies to do both the action and the comedy well. (I will say that, though there were several comedic beats to the actions sequences, I generally think trying to play action in these kinds of movies as cool or badass defeats the purpose of comedy, but whatever.) Everyone is strong especially Brie Larson and Dave Franco, who play a couple of the most convincing mature high-schoolers in recent film-going. The real standouts are directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs) and screenwriter Michael Bacall (co-writer on Scott Pilgrim). Just perfectly paced, great comedic timing, and a really interesting take on current youth culture: a more liberal, non-jock, hipster-y way of seeing the world. Not perfect, but extremely satisfying. Highly recommended. 3 1/2 out of 4 C-Tates.

bellisimo
03-19-2012, 03:50 AM
The Artist
wasn't really sure what to expect or how I would react to it when I went to it - I've had my doubts whether or not it would keep my attention till the end of the movie...my doubts were put to rest though - it was nice to take a break from all the noise pollution in the world even if for a few minutes and enjoy a bit of a time travel to the past.

Unclebuck
03-19-2012, 08:18 AM
21 Jump Street was really, really good. Highly entertaining from staryt to finish and a few scenes that were extremely funny.

I highly recommend as well.

Sure a few jokes feel flat especially towards the end, but for this type of movie, I don't think I could have liked it anymore than I did

bellisimo
03-19-2012, 08:36 AM
does 21 Jump Street have anything to do with the TV show other than the name?

Unclebuck
03-19-2012, 08:46 AM
does 21 Jump Street have anything to do with the TV show other than the name?

The tone is completely 100% different. But in one way it is the same. Cops going undercover as high students. Other than that, nothing is the same.

Think of it as a comedy that has some action. But it is a comedy first. Over-the-top in parts, but most of it worked for me and I found myself laughing really hard many times.

Hicks
03-19-2012, 09:43 AM
Moneyball. Enjoyed it, and it made me want to re-evaluate what I think I know about NBA basketball.

Not being an MLB fan, I was surprised when they revealed Beane's decision at the end. Figured he went the other way and that it might explain a couple of championships won in the 00's.

joeyd
03-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Think of it as a comedy that has some action. But it is a comedy first. Over-the-top in parts, but most of it worked for me and I found myself laughing really hard many times.

It looks like this will be the recipe for the new Dark Shadows movie, except it will be a comedy with some horror in it. The previews look funny, and with elements you would expect from a Burton/Depp pairing, but all in all, it seems a bit sacrilegious for those of us that still remember or were a fan of the soap though.

AesopRockOn
03-19-2012, 04:49 PM
The tone is completely 100% different. But in one way it is the same. Cops going undercover as high students. Other than that, nothing is the same.

If you are a fan of the TV show, however, I do think there is an appropriate amount of self-referentiality and homage in it. Certain cameos and allusions to "rehashing old things from the 80s" are smartly done. My friend I went with didn't even know the show existed, so, belli, you'll probably get a pretty good audience mix.

Agreed on the genre classification, UB. The action feels mostly thrown in because some studio producer said that people won't like it unless there's car chases and explosions. The way Lord, Miller, and Bacall satirize that approach with the visual gags was refreshing though. The sequence on the freeway was very Cloudy with-esque.

I feel like "Bacallian" may become the new term for describing smart pop culture-referencing in script writing. (Meanwhile, Dan Harmon sighs and posts frowny faces on Twitter.)

cdash
03-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I am always super late on watching movies, as I never actually go to the movie theater, but I just got around to watching Fast Five. First off, let me preface this by saying I am an unabashed fan of the series. I love all the absurdity that comes along with all of it. That probably explains why I absolutely loved Fast Five. So over the top, so ridiculous, plot holes galore, nonsensical action and sequences around every corner--but I loved it. Thoroughly entertaining film.

Sparhawk
03-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo

Pretty interesting film. I thought it would be more suspenseful, but still good. Was about to throw my remote at the TV for the ending. I should have seen that coming!

Sandman21
03-26-2012, 10:36 AM
The Expendables Directors Cut. I liked the original theatrical release, but I think I like the DC even more.

Sparhawk
03-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Hunger Games.

Very good movie. Just wish there could have been a few comical moments thrown in, but it's 100% serious with some intense moments.

Bet they quickly start to work on 2 and 3.

cdash
03-28-2012, 11:10 PM
I've scrolled back numerous pages but found no mention of this movie--did anyone see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? It seems to have been polarizing to some people. True to my spirit of minimal research on movies before I see them, I didn't know what I was getting myself into with this one. It was really good, I'm glad I watched it, but I never want to see that movie again.

indygeezer
03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
I went by myself for a matinee of ACT OF VALOR. Good movie for someone like me. Not sure if the wife would have followed it too well. Not sure if it will translate to tv sized screen but perhaps.

Dgreenwell3
03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
I went by myself for a matinee of ACT OF VALOR. Good movie for someone like me. Not sure if the wife would have followed it too well. Not sure if it will translate to tv sized screen but perhaps.

I said this earlier but I am going to repeat myself because indy is just like me a sycamore grad that is:
My dad is/was a SEAL, he and his buddies and I went to go see it. At the end of the film when the names of Operators ran across the screen,a guy in front of us stood up and said something to the effect "what a waste of time" cant remember who said it (this was a month ago)there was a very distinct "sit down now" but when you turn around and see a bunch of guys wearing the eagle and the trident (symbol of the navy SEAL)...

indygeezer
03-31-2012, 07:30 AM
I said this earlier but I am going to repeat myself because indy is just like me a sycamore grad that is:
My dad is/was a SEAL, he and his buddies and I went to go see it. At the end of the film when the names of Operators ran across the screen,a guy in front of us stood up and said something to the effect "what a waste of time" cant remember who said it (this was a month ago)there was a very distinct "sit down now" but when you turn around and see a bunch of guys wearing the eagle and the trident (symbol of the navy SEAL)...

he probably had to go clean out his shorts........

ilive4sports
04-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Ok, its not a movie I watched, but a trailer. Anyone else hear about this? Its Seth MacFarlane's first feature film and it looks ****ing hilarious. Its called Ted.

NSFW (language)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aGW5gpMU9yo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AesopRockOn
04-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Though I definitely am a bit of a Family Guy hater, I did laugh more than I expected to at that trailer. The goofy Boston accents always get me, though I can never tell if we're supposed to be laugh at or with Marky Mark. That said, I don't expect the idea to stand up for a feature. Plus, the last movie about a weird CG creature hanging out with a slacker/slackers cussing a lot and making pop cultural references was pretty disappointing. (The movie was called Paul.)

TheDavisBrothers
04-04-2012, 04:59 AM
Though I definitely am a bit of a Family Guy hater, I did laugh more than I expected to at that trailer. The goofy Boston accents always get me, though I can never tell if we're supposed to be laugh at or with Marky Mark. That said, I don't expect the idea to stand up for a feature. Plus, the last movie about a weird CG creature hanging out with a slacker/slackers cussing a lot and making pop cultural references was pretty disappointing. (The movie was called Paul.)

Aaaaww, I liked Paul! I thought it was pretty funny, but odviously not spectacular...

Sparhawk
04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
The Ted trailer was hilarious. Have to see it now.

Sparhawk
04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Started to watch Rango and turned it off after 25min it was so bad.

04-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Green Zone with Matt Damon and Greg Kinneer. I liked it.

AesopRockOn
04-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Started to watch Rango and turned it off after 25min it was so bad.

http://tf2chan.net/dis/src/133277142475.png

Pig Nash
04-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Martha Marcy May Marlene

Great! Loved it! Ambiguous ending, but not a lot to talk about after, just makes you really really tense till it cuts to black.

RWB
04-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Soundstage: Sheryl Crow Live........ One of my favorite things is finding concert dvds in the cut out sections in brick and mortar stores.... You can be disappointed by the artist but never the quality in sound and picture when picking up a Soundstage disc.

Oh, and the Crow concert really is good. Big plus is the non vomit inducing quick cuts you find many times.

Sparhawk
04-05-2012, 03:56 PM
The Lovely Bones

Loved it till the ending. Felt a bit cheated, but it's based off a book so what can you do.

04-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Drillbit Taylor

The price of getting caught up in movies on TV.

Kegboy
04-06-2012, 04:33 PM
American Reunion

It was certainly better than Wedding, but it was still pretty slow and boring in spots. The reviews were much better than I expected, I think they got my hopes up too much.

AesopRockOn
04-07-2012, 11:41 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dJxj1mou03M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sparhawk
04-08-2012, 08:56 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dJxj1mou03M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I might watch THAT version.

Stryder
04-08-2012, 11:02 AM
American Reunion

It was certainly better than Wedding, but it was still pretty slow and boring in spots. The reviews were much better than I expected, I think they got my hopes up too much.

What number reunion was this? Wouldn't this be 13 years or so after the first movie?

Kegboy
04-08-2012, 02:26 PM
What number reunion was this? Wouldn't this be 13 years or so after the first movie?

Yep. I figured they were gonna say it was the 10th, but no, they come right out and say it's a few years late.

bellisimo
04-10-2012, 08:57 AM
American Pie Reunion - having experienced similar situations lately...my friends and I definitely related to the movie which made it better than anticipated

04-10-2012, 10:24 PM
http://www.geekologie.com/2012/04/10/titanic-sadness.jpg

^ Un-freaking-believable. Are kids today really this stupid?

ilive4sports
04-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Wait, the Titanic was real?

trollface.jpg

Bball
04-11-2012, 12:14 AM

trollface.jpg

The part about the ship was made up but the love story of Rose and Jack was based on a real story

Sparhawk
04-11-2012, 10:42 AM
The part about the ship was made up but the love story of Rose and Jack was based on a real story

Love stories are always real.

Also, I heard from a reliable source that the Highlander was a documentary and events happened in real time.

Kegboy
04-14-2012, 12:58 PM
The Cabin in the Woods

If you haven't heard, this movie is best seen untainted by any knowledge beforehand. IOW, don't read reviews, watch clips, or listen to interviews, just go see it. Not because of any big twist, they are open from the beginning on what's going on, and explain things all the way through. But it's because of this structure that the less you know, the better the experience will be.

I'm gonna go ahead and start a thread on this, so we Whedonites can appropriately geek out.

Sollozzo
04-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Titanic 3D. Nice to see the beautiful ship on the big screen again.

ilive4sports
04-14-2012, 02:39 PM
The Cabin in the Woods

If you haven't heard, this movie is best seen untainted by any knowledge beforehand. IOW, don't read reviews, watch clips, or listen to interviews, just go see it. Not because of any big twist, they are open from the beginning on what's going on, and explain things all the way through. But it's because of this structure that the less you know, the better the experience will be.

I'm gonna go ahead and start a thread on this, so we Whedonites can appropriately geek out.

I have heard great things about the movie, nothing specific, just that its really good. Which surprises me greatly.

idioteque
04-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Wait a minute, Leonardo Di Caprio wasn't on the real Titanic?

Steagles
04-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Semi Pro. I thought that movie was awesome, I don't know why it was "terrible"

idioteque
04-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Un-freaking-believable. Are kids today really this stupid?

I've found you're best off pretty much ignoring anyone born after 2000.

Steagles
04-14-2012, 04:06 PM
I've found you're best off pretty much ignoring anyone born after 2000.

Why are <12 year olds online? Don't they have a soccer camp to go to?

Hicks
04-14-2012, 05:27 PM
American Reunion followed immediately by Cabin in the Woods.

Comments some other time when I'm not out at dinner using an iPhone.

Husband's buldge.

Hicks
04-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Okay, now that I'm sitting with a keyboard:

I liked Am. Re., but that doesn't mean I thought it was a great movie, either. I had low expectations, and that was pretty much what I got. Fun for nostalgia's sake, some decent laughs, mediocre writing/story, all resulting in me giving it about a C.

Cabin in the Woods, I'd give more like a B+. I'll hop over to its own thread for more.

Naptown_Seth
04-15-2012, 08:40 PM

trollface.jpg
Spoiler alert.

Yes.

So there goes your H459 History of Transatlantic Ocean Travel class payoff, just when you were really starting to get into going to class.

Pssst - the Lusitania doesn't make it either.

:D

It is pretty shocking to see those comments. I'm going out on a limb and say that NONE of them know that Led Zeppelin did Kashmir before it was a rap hook, and that the cover of Led Zeppelin I depicts the Hindenburg, and that the Hindenburg was an actual air-ship that exploded and crashed.

Not until they make the film that is.

And when they do you can damn sure bet I'll be the first in the audience to yell out "Oh, that's gotta hurt!"*

* Seinfeld was an American situation comedy in the 90s....I'm sure there will be a film about it soon enough and you can find out everything you need to know about it then.

Naptown_Seth
04-15-2012, 08:48 PM
The Raid: Redemption
I saw this in Houston after the Pacers game because Houston always gets arthouse/foreign films before Indy. It's awesome, innovative and beautifully shot. It's also very violent (lots of shooting, stabbing and breaking people with "stuff") so be prepared.

The story itself is a little thin and slightly unsatisfying, but the basic premise of "cops must storm the castle of a fortified gang lord" is more than enough to carry the entire film and hang endless amounts of brilliant action scenes off of. There are moves you haven't seen before and there's definitely shots you haven't seen before. The film flat-out looks amazing at times.

Cabin in the Woods
It lived up to the hype, I'm glad I avoided any spoilers although really I knew most of it from the trailer and it didn't impact my enjoyment at all. There is blood, scares and violence. There is also a TON of humor, really good humor. Very fun film.

Naptown_Seth
04-15-2012, 09:02 PM

Well His Girl Friday outpaces all of them, especially in dialog, so it's cyclical at least. Or were the kids of 1940 so ADD that Grant and Russell had to deliver it that quick or they'd walk out?

Some of that is driven by a success. Leone comes along and kills it and then everyone else wants to start doing long, lingering introspective scenes with 2 seconds of sudden violence at the end.

QT goes tearing through dialog with R Dogs and Pulp and then everyone's trying to make quipster tough guy films or quirky multi-storyline interaction.

Drive was clearly meant to be Michael Mann style, and not even Heat really. It was really similar in music and pacing to Manhunter which might be the pinnacle of Mann's "80s ness".

But at the same time Mann also embraces minimal dialog between characters that should already know the information. Thus the breakneck speed of information exchange that made Miami Vice hard for some people to follow. Mann has this interest in the beats, rhythms and language codes of sub-cultures, especially cops or anti-cops (the organized bank robbers of Heat which are clearly mirrors of the cops).

So he spends more time with characters reflecting and less time with them explaining every little detail to another character that should be saying "yeah, I know all this, why are you telling me". :)

AesopRockOn
04-16-2012, 12:28 AM
The Raid: Redemption...It's awesome, innovative and beautifully shot. It's also very violent (lots of shooting, stabbing and breaking people with "stuff") so be prepared...The story itself is a little thin and slightly unsatisfying, but the basic premise of "cops must storm the castle of a fortified gang lord" is more than enough to carry the entire film and hang endless amounts of brilliant action scenes off of. There are moves you haven't seen before and there's definitely shots you haven't seen before. The film flat-out looks amazing at times.

Agreed on most counts. The cinematography wasn't as great to me, just very gritty/grainy with lots of 'God's eye view' shots. (Might have been our print?) The use of sound and editing to convey the brutality of the violence was great. Not sure if the story was supposed to seem so standard and cookie-cutter. The first scene was so cliched I thought, it was supposed to be humorous, though the movie is very straightforward throughout. The hand-to-hand is phenomenal, worth the price of admission alone. The writer/director is apparently Welsh; may have to check out his previous work. Pretty strongly recommended if you enjoy the action/martial arts.

LoneGranger33
04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
The Visitor

I'm sad to say I've seen all three films directed by Thomas McCarthy (The Station Agent [2003], The Visitor [2007], and Win Win [2011]) and I'll probably have to wait until 2015 for the next one. They're all very good and I highly recommend them.

avoidingtheclowns
04-17-2012, 09:58 AM
Oh Rian Johnson... how it seems I will always be excited for your movies and yet never forgive you for spelling your name like that.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0uIWGOKW5OM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HC
04-21-2012, 01:06 AM
Just watched AVP for the first time. I'm gonna have to see Requiem now.

ilive4sports
04-21-2012, 03:12 AM
Dumb and Dumber.

never gets old.

04-21-2012, 09:17 AM
The Girl With a Dragon Tattoo

Heard it was supposed to be good but I found myself getting bored and didn't finish it. Will probably go back and watch it again at some point.

Sex Drive

Expected it to be kind of stupid but it was actually pretty funny. Seth Green as an Amish person was hilarious. "I love fixing people's s*** for free".

SycamoreKen
04-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Captain America

Watched it as much to be up to speed for the Avengers movie as anything. It was fun, over the top, and entertaining. Cap never came off to me as that bad *** in the comic books, but i didn't read him as much as I did Iron Man outside the Avengers books.

The ending was ok. Wish they would have shown him finding her having aged or at least learning what happened. But that would be too chick flicky I guess, but definitely in character.

Sparhawk
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
MI4: Ghost Protocol

Overall, it was a good movie. I'm getting a bit bored though cause at no point do I think any of the "good" guys are in any real danger since they don't get killed. I can't recall all of the past films, but I don't think any of the main team members get killed, at least since the first movie. Wish they would add that back in and give us a bit more tension/suspence.

Unclebuck
05-01-2012, 10:45 AM
The reviews so far for the Avengers have been amazing

75 positive and 4 negative. For this type of movie

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/

Sparhawk
05-01-2012, 11:02 AM
The reviews so far for the Avengers have been amazing

75 positive and 4 negative. For this type of movie

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marvels_the_avengers/

Watching either Sat or Sun.

Pacer624
05-01-2012, 10:47 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTg1ODUzOTIxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI0NDcyNw@@._ V1._SY317_CR6,0,214,317_.jpg

Sparhawk
05-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Kung Fu Panda 2.

Really liked this movie. This is how you do a sequel!

TheDavisBrothers
05-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Saw the Avengers last night, never been a big comic book or superhero fan, though I have seen a lot of the films, but it was a very good movie. I'd say it it easily one of the better movies of the genre...

AesopRockOn
05-05-2012, 11:20 PM
The Avengers - I guess I'll do any spoilery stuff in the Avenger thread, but suffice it to say that this is, for the most part, an extremely satisfying summer action blockbuster. The first quarter is pretty boring table setting that, I guess, establishes the various characters. Seemed like Whedon was really only into Tony Snark and Bruce Banner, since they're the only ones who get any meaningful/entertaining backstory. But all the old people people I went with (client event for our company) and I were just blown away by the two action set pieces. The second one especially just keeps bringing fresh CGI sequences that represent the pinnacle of action filmmaking today. And, yes, the Hulk makes the price of admission worth it. It would have felt overdrawn and over-kitschy without the Hulk. But because of the great balance of gleeful and brutal violence, it's quite spectacular. Pretty strongly recommended.

joeyd
05-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I agree with most of the above comments about the AVENGERS. It is not in the same league as X-men First Class and The Dark Knight, but better than most of the recent Marvel offerings.

Dgreenwell3
05-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I agree with most of the above comments about the AVENGERS. It is not in the same league as X-men First Class and The Dark Knight, but better than most of the recent Marvel offerings.

You think first class is better than the Avengers? Uhhhh idk bout that one bub...

AesopRockOn
05-06-2012, 06:04 PM
You think first class is better than the Avengers? Uhhhh idk bout that one bub...

The argument for X-Men: F. Classbender is that there is actually thematic and emotional resonance to the non-action scenes. McAvoy/Fassbender played actual human characters, while the actors in The Avengers played comic book characters. The purpose of the non-action story was to show these two friends who reach different philosophies on their own terms. The Avengers, though much better executed (especially on the action side) overall, just showcases awesome battle sequences. The first forty-ish minutes of the movie is a combination of goofy back-and-forth dialogue and irrelevant, geeky plot minutae. The movies seem to have different objectives and, if you're looking for emotion/thematic depth, Vaughn's movie is much more interesting and relevant.

Unclebuck
05-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I agree with you. The first ironman was a lot better too IMO.

Overall it was a good movie, but it seemed very rushed. Some good humor, and I liked that it didn't take itself too seriously, but I was not involved in the story or characters

joeyd
05-07-2012, 02:22 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure about that after the first viewing of both. And that's coming from someone who was more into the Avengers comics as a kid compared to X-men.

UB mentioned that he wasn't that involved in the characters and story. I have my metrics and I in thinking about them, it seems that I probably wasn't as involved in the story either, based on them. The best metric is how easily I'm distracted by other movie-goers and how long it takes me to get back into the story. I can't stand it when people light up their cell phones in the theaters---it distracts the crap out of me. But with the Avengers, since much of it was action vs. substance, I could easily go back to the movie without missing a beat after telling people to put their damn phones away. Much more substance to X-men.

Hypnotiq
05-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Warhorse.

Shade
05-07-2012, 10:19 AM
The Avengers

I had high expectations for this one, and it didn't disappoint. This is just about as good as it gets as far as superhero flicks go. Fun, action-packed, and a nicely balanced focus on each of the main characters. You know you have a great film when Hawkeye is badass in it. :-p

The only really negative thing is that this may take a lot of the drama out of each characters' future solo movies. The individual threats just simply aren't going to be up to par with stuff like Loki and Thanos.

A+

Shade
05-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Dumb and Dumber.

never gets old.

Can't wait for the sequel. :dance:

Sparhawk
05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Avengers

That was awesome! Hulk had some scene stealing moments. Started off slow, but heated up quick. Character development was good. The writer really knew what he was doing and hit the note on all the character's different personalities. Great balance.

The only thing that didn't quite add up was how the Hulk couldn't control himself on the aircraft carrier, but was able to during the main battle. Huh? How'd that happen so quickly?

Going to see it in 3D this coming weekend. :)

TheDavisBrothers
05-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Can't wait for the sequel. :dance:

I'm concerned, especially considering the Farrelly Brother's films lately, that the sequal will be like most sequels and not live up to the hype/kinda tarnish the greatness of the original...

RWB
05-07-2012, 03:17 PM
Can't wait for this.... JAWS on blu-ray to be released August 14th.

clownskull
05-08-2012, 11:41 AM
well, this hasn't come out yet but, i have seen trailers for the movie Prometheus. it looks like it could be good. i am a fan of the first 2 alien flicks and this actually looks like it could be worth seeing. i haven't been to a movie at the theater since walk the line which was decent.
most movies are just spiritless sequels crammed with a bunch of CGI rubbish that hold a negative interest factor for me.
it seems i have finally found something that has an interesting story to it rather than more mike bay crap.
i hope i am not disappointed.

SycamoreKen
05-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Battleship

It is what it is, a fun movie that is really loud , filled with big explosions, and just enough plot to get to the end. If you don't like Transformer like movies and can't look past the obvious improbable things that happen, then don't go. Brooklyn Decker and Rhianna held thier own and looked good doing it, which was a bonus.

Hypnotiq
05-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Dragon Ball evolution - pretty poor movie tbh

Remember the Titans - Probably one of my all time fav movies.

Hicks
05-27-2012, 01:28 AM
Iron Man

Nice to be reminded why this movie was so well-liked, and a good revisit on the heels of the Avengers.

Peck
05-27-2012, 04:38 AM
Over the past week I've seen Dark Shadows & MIB 3.

Dark Shadows is weird because it's not as good as I originally thought it was going to be but then I heard nothing but horrid things about it but it wasn't as bad as people were saying.

Overall I enjoyed it for what it was, nothing real special but still entertaining.

MIB 3 was what you expected it to be. A good decent summer action/scifi/comedy movie. No deep thoughts or great acting here just a nice way to kill a couple of hours. That sounds like a poor review but it is not, I much prefer a movie like this than some of the self important drivel that comes out of the "indy" studios from August to November.

Bball
05-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Can't wait for this.... JAWS on blu-ray to be released August 14th.

"You're gonna need a bigger Blu Ray player"

aero
05-28-2012, 05:12 PM
The Dictator

Sacha Baron Cohen cracks me up. Enjoyed this movie

Constellations
05-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Captain America. Loved it.

Hicks
05-28-2012, 06:09 PM
X-Men First Class
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk

bellisimo
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Gremlins
Gremlins 2

Hypnotiq
05-30-2012, 04:52 AM
Terminator 2: Judgement day

Sparhawk
05-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Immortals - 4/10

Good fight sequences, but overall was just ok. Just weird after the titans were released. Didn't seem like there were that many and they just kept appearing out of thin air.

Hicks
06-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Men in Black 3

Eh... it wasn't bad. That's about as far as I'd go, though.

For those that have seen all 3:

How does the thing between K and O work based on what we know from the first film? Remember in that one he was all bummed out because he couldn't be with his sweetheart in the normal world. That clearly wasn't O. Then again, maybe I'm forgetting something about that from the 2nd one? I only saw that once, and I know it involved bringing K back into the fold after he left to be with her, so maybe I'm just not able to recall the resolution there? But even if 2 does address that, K and O are supposed to be an item BEFORE the events of the other movies, so why isn't he with O instead of longing for the other lady as of the original movie?

CableKC
06-01-2012, 09:41 PM
X-Men First Class
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
You've pulled out the whole Comic Book Collection of Movies.

AesopRockOn
06-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Men in Black 3

How does the thing between K and O work based on what we know from the first film? Remember in that one he was all bummed out because he couldn't be with his sweetheart in the normal world. That clearly wasn't O. Then again, maybe I'm forgetting something about that from the 2nd one? I only saw that once, and I know it involved bringing K back into the fold after he left to be with her, so maybe I'm just not able to recall the resolution there? But even if 2 does address that, K and O are supposed to be an item BEFORE the events of the other movies, so why isn't he with O instead of longing for the other lady as of the original movie?

I don't think the timeline/travel stuff made any sense in even the movie that was taking place (nor did the filmmakers care). The things the Fresh Prince knows are inconsistent from line to line. That said, Peck is right: it's an enjoyable two hours completely devoid of memorability. Brolin is about as good as everyone says he is at imitating TLJ, and Michael Stulberg made the combination time-traveling Abed/New York Jew stereotype character come alive. Jermaine Clement shows up as well, though cannot pull off what Vincent Donofrio did in the first movie. Will Smith is a douche. Very mildly recommended.

Pingu
06-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Roman Holiday (1953)

Sparhawk
06-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Men in Black 3

I had the same thought about that spoiler when I saw this film.

Only reason I watched this was because some friends wanted too. I never saw the second. It was much like the first, so it was alright.

idioteque
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
X Men First Class

I had never seen it before, saw Avengers last week, X Men First Class was much more my style, loved it and I thought Avengers was only alright.

Sparhawk
06-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Green Hornet

I wasn't expecting much, but I really liked this movie.

Hypnotiq
06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I Am Legend

LetsTalkPacers
06-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Prometheus does not live up to the hype

PacersHomer
06-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Alien. I never saw it and I watched it to prepare for Prometheus. I loved it.

Drive was also a movie I watched recently that I thought was brilliant. I was disturbed by how attractive everyone was. Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan are two of the prettiest people in the world right now.

Suaveness
06-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Django Unchained trailer is out. Wow, ridiculously awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUdM9vrCbow

Pig Nash
06-07-2012, 01:32 AM
Alien, had tried to watch it a few times late at night and it's so quiet I fell asleep, not bad just very quiet in the early going. Got through it tonight. Quite good, tight little horror film with a fun world for it to take place in. Gonna watch Aliens tomorrow and Prometheus on Friday. Exciting.

P.S. as someone who was born in 1988, it's weird to see Sigourney Weaver being hot for a minute at the end of this movie.

CableKC
06-11-2012, 01:00 AM
Prometheus does not live up to the hype
This +100000.

Seriously, I was expecting A LOT .... especially a Ridley Scott Sci-Fi movie. And the only reason why I watched the movie came out to be disappointing...if not a let down.

Skaut_Ech
06-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Prometheus: I felt like I'd watched the first third of a movie, with it abruptly ending. I didn't enjoy it, entertainment-wise, but I found it a pretty fascinating intellectual exercise, trying to extrapolate so may aspects of the movie. I saw it yesterday and I STILL keep thinking about it. There's some really fascinating discussions here. (http://www.prometheus-movie.com/community/forums/1) I think a lot of the problem is the marketing get youo looking for a horror/action film, but it's really more of a quiet, lay the foundation kind of thing. I hate that it posed SO many questions and answered absolutely nothing, buuuuutttt, if you check out some of the discussions in the link I posted, I think you'll find it was a more interesting movie than you first thought. I just didn't think it was very entertaining. Visually stunning, but not overly entertaining.

(And on a side note, If I see one more parent take their kid to a movie like that, just cause the parent wants to see it.....it really disappoints and saddens me and for me, is emblematic of what a "me-first" society we have become.)

Kstat
06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Prometheus isn't bad...it's just incomplete.

This saga could never be fully explained in just a couple hours. This is a 3-part trilogy waiting to happen, with the third act directly leading into the crashed ship on LV-426.

Without getting into spoilers, everything in Prometheus resembles the Alien franchise in a primitive way. You can see the resemblance, but it's almost like we're presented with a less refined, less evolved version, which makes sense in a way given the timeline of the film. Of course, even that raises more questions that we now have to wait for a sequel to have answered.

I do appreciate the fact that the movie keeps you thinking, and the world that it explores is fascinating. I just wish there would have been a little better conclusion than what we got.

Trader Joe
06-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Saw Prometheus. I agree with what KStat is saying. Scott has said it is not a prequel to Alien, but that does not mean that the story arc may not end up being a prequal to Alien. Could Prometheus stand on it's own and be a pretty good story that really makes you think? Yeah, it could be, but there are definitely plenty of questions the plot left unanswered.

Kstat
06-11-2012, 11:36 AM
It struck me as episode 1 to Alien's episode 4.

CableKC
06-12-2012, 02:06 PM
Prometheus: I felt like I'd watched the first third of a movie, with it abruptly ending. I didn't enjoy it, entertainment-wise, but I found it a pretty fascinating intellectual exercise, trying to extrapolate so may aspects of the movie. I saw it yesterday and I STILL keep thinking about it. There's some really fascinating discussions here. (http://www.prometheus-movie.com/community/forums/1)
Here's another commentary on the movie. It's a pretty good write-up.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

The thought is that there is a lot of symbolism in the movie that requires a lot of "connecting the dots" in order to see what Ridley Scott was trying to do. If anything, it can be viewed as a real "Sci-Fi" movie....without any real "over the top" action and horror....but more of a "Thinking Man's" Sci-Fi movie. That may explain why many action oriented Sci-Fi fans didn't like it as much.

Hicks
06-12-2012, 04:53 PM
My general opinion of Prometheus is that it's the core of an A+ movie, only the issues it has (pacing issues, some plot confusions, not much payoff, some weak characters, bad old man makeup instead of using a real old man) drag it down to about a B/B+. A supermodel with some warts.

CableKC
06-12-2012, 07:12 PM
My general opinion of Prometheus is that it's the core of an A+ movie, only the issues it has (pacing issues, some plot confusions, not much payoff, some weak characters, bad old man makeup instead of using a real old man) drag it down to about a B/B+. A supermodel with some warts.
When I first saw Weyland.....I thought to myself....if there was a live-action version of the Simpsons.....that is what Mr. Burns would look like in real life.

Pig Nash
06-12-2012, 07:39 PM
They probably cut some young man Weyland, why else would they cast Guy Pearce?

Trader Joe
06-12-2012, 11:47 PM
You see young man Weyland in some of the viral advertising for the film

Pig Nash
06-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Ridley normally has a director's cut that makes the movie better, so maybe that ending with Weyland won't feel so out of nowhere because he's sprinkled through more of the movie.

bellisimo
06-18-2012, 06:25 AM
21 Jump Street - loved it
The Beaver - was expecting a bit more happier tone than what I faced with...good movie but didn't go into the movie with the right mindset so it put me off a bit...

Skaut_Ech
06-19-2012, 02:15 PM
21 Jump Street - loved it
The Beaver - was expecting a bit more happier tone than what I faced with...good movie but didn't go into the movie with the right mindset so it put me off a bit...

I have both of those and can't wait to check them out. I'm looking forward to the Beaver more, just cause it's deeper in content.

Just watched Timecrimes on Netflix last night. I have a real hate love relationship with time loop movies. (Whcih action came first?) I enjoy them, but then they make my head hurt. It's a faint bit like Prometheus for me: Intellectually stimulating, but not overly entertaining.

(Now if I could just get Prometheus out of my head. I've thought about it every day since I saw it. I can't decide if Ridley Scott was some kind of genius, or full of crap and he just throw a bunch of stuff on the screen and pretended he was doing something of import.)

Sparhawk
06-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Underworld: Awakenings

Eh, didn't really care for this too much. Not sure why Beckinsale came back for this one. So many issues with this movie. The action sequences were pretty good though.

rexnom
06-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Saw Prometheus. It wasn't good. The intellectual discussion seems forced. Moon and Sunshine are much better modern attempts at sci-fi intellectualism.

Peck
06-23-2012, 02:34 AM
Brave

Meh, I was dissapointed to be honest with you. It started out good but then took a turn that was totally (at least for me anyway) unexpected. Also for the first time ever I thought the Pixar short that they showed in front of the movie sucked.

Sparhawk
06-23-2012, 08:14 AM
John Carter

Not exactly what I was expecting. Wish I could fall in love and get married over the course of what couldn't be more than a week (yet years passed on Earth). Wasn't bad, but wasn't really good either. A movie that you see once and be satisfied, yet not left wanting to see it again.

Sparhawk
06-23-2012, 08:15 AM
Brave

Meh, I was dissapointed to be honest with you. It started out good but then took a turn that was totally (at least for me anyway) unexpected. Also for the first time ever I thought the Pixar short that they showed in front of the movie sucked.

I had a bad feeling about this one. Seemed a bit formulaic for Pixar's style. Still, I will probably go and see this with the wife.

Suaveness
06-23-2012, 07:16 PM
It's difficult for Pixar because they've set such high expectations for us as almost all of their movies that don't begin with "Cars" are incredibly well done. Anything lower than that bar and you wonder what happened. They went a little formulaic here but I still think enjoyable.

I think their upcoming movies the next few years are going to be really interesting.

Sparhawk
06-24-2012, 01:43 PM
Battle Royal.

It's available to stream on Netflix now. Pretty badass movie.

Hicks
06-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Battle Royal.

It's available to stream on Netflix now. Pretty badass movie.

I just noticed and watched it on Netflix yesterday. Decent movie, though it didn't help that for 80% of my viewing time (when I watched on Apple TV instead of on my PC), the subtitles were out of sync by more than a few seconds, which made it difficult.

Steagles
06-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Moneyball. I liked it. However, knowing the true story beforehand ruined it to an extent- not all parties were accurately represented. Without knowing the backstory, its a great movie. I would recommend it.

neosmndrew
06-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Men in Black III

Hilarious and entertaining. Some storylines were presented and not fully addressed, but still a great movie and a must-see.

jeffg-body
06-25-2012, 12:56 AM
Watching Rambo 4 right now. Wife is asleep so it is ok. She doesn't like for me to watch stuff like this because of my combat experiences and all of that junk.

Skaut_Ech
06-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Well, i watched 21 Jump Street finally. Entertaining for what it is. It's the first time I actually liked Channing Tatum. I followed that up with The Descendants. Wow. A great, at times, brilliant, understated movie. Alexander Payne has such a fine, knowing touch with his movies.I didn't realize I was a fan of his till I looked him up and saw he did Sideways, About Schmidt and Election. I highly recommend this as a smart movie for grown-ups.I love watching George Clooney the actor. People are so busy lauding him as a good looking movie star, I think they sometimes overlook the growth he's shown as an actor. I was totally impressed at the realistic dialogue and lack of melodrama. IMpressive movie.

Unclebuck
06-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Well, i watched 21 Jump Street finally. Entertaining for what it is. It's the first time I actually liked Channing Tatum. I followed that up with The Descendants. Wow. A great, at times, brilliant, understated movie. Alexander Payne has such a fine, knowing touch with his movies.I didn't realize I was a fan of his till I looked him up and saw he did Sideways, About Schmidt and Election. I highly recommend this as a smart movie for grown-ups.I love watching George Clooney the actor. People are so busy lauding him as a good looking movie star, I think they sometimes overlook the growth he's shown as an actor. I was totally impressed at the realistic dialogue and lack of melodrama. IMpressive movie.

I really liked both of those movies and posted about each in this thread.

Of those movies nominated I would have voted for the Descendants as best picture. (here is what I posted back on November 25th, The Descendants - with George Clooney, written and directed by the guy who did Sideways several years ago. I loved this movie, real humor, real emotion, real characters. One of the best movies this year.

And I thought 21 Jump Street was just really really funny. And here is what I posted back in march about 21 Jump Street. 21 Jump Street was really, really good. Highly entertaining from start to finish and a few scenes that were extremely funny. I highly recommend as well. Sure a few jokes fell flat especially towards the end, but for this type of movie, I don't think I could have liked it anymore than I did

Trader Joe
06-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Random tangent, haven't seen Brave yet, but I haven't exactly been overwhelmed by the trailers, maybe Pixar needs a bit of a kick in the pants, take a crack at an adult animated movie.

Trader Joe
06-25-2012, 11:11 AM
Saw Prometheus. It wasn't good. The intellectual discussion seems forced. Moon and Sunshine are much better modern attempts at sci-fi intellectualism.

I do not like Sunshine at all, but maybe that's because of the way it handles the sun using up it's fuel. I just can't get past choosing to have the sun get colder instead of hotter. Yes, I'm weird.

Suaveness
06-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Random tangent, haven't seen Brave yet, but I haven't exactly been overwhelmed by the trailers, maybe Pixar needs a bit of a kick in the pants, take a crack at an adult animated movie.

No! We will not let Pixar succumb to adult movies and lose their charm.

I think their next movies are going to be good. Monsters U, The Good Dinosaur, the movie that happens in the mind, and the day of the dead movie look to be up Pixar's alley.

Sparhawk
06-25-2012, 12:10 PM
No! We will not let Pixar succumb to adult movies and lose their charm.

I think their next movies are going to be good. Monsters U, The Good Dinosaur, the movie that happens in the mind, and the day of the dead movie look to be up Pixar's alley.

Monsters, Inc was great. Not exactly thrilled at Monsters U. Should have showed entirely new characters.

They should have done an Incredibles 2 sequel before Monsters U. Could have done a prequel, or like 20 years later when the kids are grown up and there are many more new superheroes (and new villians!)

bellisimo
06-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Project X - well that was...bad

bellisimo
06-27-2012, 07:31 AM
A Thousand Words - can't really expect a life altering experience from this movie - It was one of better performances by Eddie Murphy from his recent movies

The Eagle - a lot different than what I thought it would be - good movie - nothing memorable though

Hicks
06-27-2012, 12:24 PM
I saw Brave on Monday.

I think going in with lower expectations based on others' reviews helped me. I thought it was pretty good. Tier 2 quality by Pixar's super high standards, but still.

Day-V
06-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Monsters, Inc was great. Not exactly thrilled at Monsters U. Should have showed entirely new characters.

They should have done an Incredibles 2 sequel before Monsters U. Could have done a prequel, or like 20 years later when the kids are grown up and there are many more new superheroes (and new villians!)

Aww man, completely disagree. Monsters Inc 1, to me, is Pixar's best film aside from the original Toy Story. Loved it. Can't wait for the sequel. And entirely new characters? How the **** would that work? You can't have Monsters Inc. without Mike Wazowski and Sully.

And I never really dug The Incredibles. Good movie, but never felt like a Pixar movie the entire time I watched it. If you would've just shown it to me back then before ever announcing it and before I ever saw ANY promotional material, I would've told you it was made by Dreamworks.

EDIT: Oh yeah, might as well talk about what I original came in here to talk about. Just got back from Ted. Friggin' hysterical. Loved it. Funniest movie I've seen in years. And yes, TO ME, it was funnier than The Hangover.

Skaut_Ech
06-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Amereeka (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1215792-amreeka/)

Really good film about how we, in the land of the free, founded by immigrants, are so xenophobic. Seeing how well I was treated as a black man in Italy earlier this year, it just reinforced to me what an arrogant, intolerant nation we are. Sorry, don't mean to get a soapbox, but the movie really struck a chord for me, especially given that I have asians in my family and remembering us sharing our tales of racism growing up. It's on the Sundance channel. Check it out if you get a chance.

Sparhawk
07-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Ted.

While not as funny as the previews made it out to be, there were plenty of LOL moments. Pretty good movie overall.

Hypnotiq
07-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Project x - Well that was utter garbage possibly the worst movie ive ever watched just boring and stupid

Steagles
07-02-2012, 05:57 PM
I saw Ted today, and judging by my avatar, LOVED it. It was funnier than the previews to me, Sparhawk. Good storyline and I almost lost it when a Family Guy reference was made and Ted said "I do not sound that much like Peter Griffin". Speaking of Family Guy, if you like the cast, you'll love this movie. Seth MacFarlane (Peter among others), Mila Kunis (Meg), Alex Borstein (Lois), Laura Vandervoort (Brian's girlfriends), Ralph Garman (various), Jessica Stroup (various) and Patrick Warburton (Joe) all in this movie. Very vulgar language and stupidity but all in all it is hilarious. Would recommend to anyone who is 15+ and wants to laugh.

CableKC
07-03-2012, 03:21 AM
Ted.

While not as funny as the previews made it out to be, there were plenty of LOL moments. Pretty good movie overall.
It was basically one huge Family Guy episode where Seth McFarlane was allowed to go all out.

CableKC
07-03-2012, 03:25 AM
I saw Ted today, and judging by my avatar, LOVED it. It was funnier than the previews to me, Sparhawk. Good storyline and I almost lost it when a Family Guy reference was made and Ted said "I do not sound that much like Peter Griffin". Speaking of Family Guy, if you like the cast, you'll love this movie. Seth MacFarlane (Peter among others), Mila Kunis (Meg), Alex Borstein (Lois), Laura Vandervoort (Brian's girlfriends), Ralph Garman (various), Jessica Stroup (various) and Patrick Warburton (Joe) all in this movie. Very vulgar language and stupidity but all in all it is hilarious. Would recommend to anyone who is 15+ and wants to laugh.
You missed Patrick Stewart as the narrator ( loved the part about the awesomeness of the Apache Helicoptor ).

I loved the tons of 80s references....from Flash Gordon ( Sam Frakkin Jones does a huge cameo.....man, that guy is like a leather handbag ) to the Airplane! homage. I loved the Thunder buddies song....really funny and came right out of nowhere. Again, a movie that you'd have to go and simply shut off your brain.

Steagles
07-03-2012, 12:56 PM
You missed Patrick Stewart as the narrator ( loved the part about the awesomeness of the Apache Helicoptor ).

I loved the tons of 80s references....from Flash Gordon ( Sam Frakkin Jones does a huge cameo.....man, that guy is like a leather handbag ) to the Airplane! homage. I loved the Thunder buddies song....really funny and came right out of nowhere. Again, a movie that you'd have to go and simply shut off your brain.
The movie started with a bang with the Jew and Apache Heli jokes

Hicks
07-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Saw Ted and Amazing Spider-Man today.

Ted was fun, but I wasn't suffocating from laughter. Still enjoyed myself overall, and I did laugh more than a few times, but I'm not among those who loved it.

Amazing Spider-Man was pretty damn solid. It was hard to be too into it since it was just 6 years ago we saw the last one of these and just 10 years since the last origin story, but I really like how they handled this movie. It's very well crafted, the acting is good, the story is decent enough, and it had some emotional weight to it. I'd love for this director and cast/crew to make the sequel. Pretty obvious what story they should use next time. It'll be an emotional gut punch if they do it well/right.

Unclebuck
07-04-2012, 09:52 AM
I loved Spiderman. Much better IMO than any of the previous three

vnzla81
07-05-2012, 12:49 AM
I watched Ted and was really funny I liked it.

Skaut_Ech
07-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Finally got around to watching chronicle. Sure you can see certain influences form other movies, but overall, nice take on the genre and pretty entertaining. Essentially a superhero movie without an origin story, uniforms and thoughts of fighting crime.

Now my problem is I taped Tree of Life. I want to see what all the hubbub is about, but then....it's Terrence Malick. The same guy who made one of the few movies that made me want to walk out of the theater due to it's artsy-fartsy, self indulgent, pretentiousness: Thin Red Line. Should I watch it? I'm waffling.

Kegboy
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Thin Red Line is probably the worst movie-going experience I've ever had. Either that or Godzilla. From what I've heard of Tree of Life, I'd pass.

AesopRockOn
07-06-2012, 04:54 PM
It was basically one huge Family Guy episode where Seth McFarlane was allowed to go all out.

This would be my review as well. If you're with a bunch of other people who are laughing, then you'll enjoy yourself. It's such a cut-and-dry 80s movie (except for the very good animation work) that it's charming. I did kind of cringe when the majority of the audience (definitely a Family Guy audience, seriously, tons of kids) gasped when one of the characters almost "dies."

Seth McFarlane has this weird thing where he's just totally content to parody without really commenting at all. He's an extremely talented dude with very little artistic ambition. Recommended if you're with a group, preferably one completely fine with the laziest of Asian stereotypes.

Tree of Life...is about...artsy-fartsy, self indulgent, pretentiousness...

Wait, what?

Jose Slaughter
07-07-2012, 04:40 PM
I just watched The Silent House

Filmed to appear that the movie was shot in a single take. Scary in all the places you would exspect but the story has kind of an unusal twist toward the end.

JB24
07-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Senna

Hugely impressive film, given that it's wall-to-wall archival footage. A bit of artistic license practiced for those familiar with F1 history, but I think non-F1 fans would love it, particularly if they watch it knowing nothing about the man beforehand.

ilive4sports
07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9UuUxqfAOUM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13 minute look at The Dark Night Rises. No real spoilers, just a behind the scenes look with interviews from the cast and crew. worth a watch.

Sparhawk
07-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Amazing Spiderman.

I think I liked this better than the original.

Kosmo Yagkoto
07-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Crank was fantastic in that they knew I wouldn't care about the plot whatsoever, so the film was ridiculous the whole time. I never understood putting a lot of time in developing a plot in an action movie.

joeyd
07-11-2012, 12:33 AM
Amazing Spider Man. Hard to say if I like the reboot origin story better than the Tobey McGuire version, but I prefer the Gwen Stacey love interest angle better. On the other hand, I liked the Green Goblin better than the current villain, and would have preferred by far to have had Electro as the villain this time.

Then I saw Taxi Driver. Still a classic.

ziplockfresh
07-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Stephen King's IT.

Steagles
07-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Taken

I thought it was good. Beyond the over the top violence and my recurring thoughts of, "Why are you :censored:ing with Qui-Gon Jinn?" the movie had a great plot, but very predictable from the beginning when they trick him into letting his daughter go. Also, when Neeson finds his daughter and starts pursuing her, the killing of every single person he interacts with him gets a bit old. However, I thought the movie was good all in all. 4/5.

joeyd
07-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Taken

I thought it was good. Beyond the over the top violence and my recurring thoughts of, "Why are you :censored:ing with Qui-Gon Jinn?" the movie had a great plot, but very predictable from the beginning when they trick him into letting his daughter go. Also, when Neeson finds his daughter and starts pursuing her, the killing of every single person he interacts with him gets a bit old. However, I thought the movie was good all in all. 4/5.

You should watch Darkman. Leeam Neeson and Sam Raimi before Spiderman fame.

Heisenberg
07-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Thin Red Line is probably the worst movie-going experience I've ever had. Either that or Godzilla. From what I've heard of Tree of Life, I'd pass.

They're making a new Godzilla. And it's supposed to be awesome, much, much more realistic.

bellisimo
07-17-2012, 02:46 AM
Amazing Spider-Man - Spidey parts were good...Peter Parker parts...not so much. The pace of the movie felt like it was going at a crawl and the way it was shot at times felt more like a documentary instead of a movie which made it lose that magic for me.

Sparhawk
07-17-2012, 07:34 AM
Amazing Spider-Man - Spidey parts were good...Peter Parker parts...not so much. The pace of the movie felt like it was going at a crawl and the way it was shot at times felt more like a documentary instead of a movie which made it lose that magic for me.

I agree a little bit. When Garfield was Peter Parker, there would always be these awkward silent parts. I wanted to yell, "say something stupid", but he just made some faces and that was it. I think he nailed the Spidey part. Much more sarcastic humor that I think was missing for McGuire's Spiderman.

bellisimo
07-17-2012, 08:11 AM
I agree a little bit. When Garfield was Peter Parker, there would always be these awkward silent parts. I wanted to yell, "say something stupid", but he just made some faces and that was it. I think he nailed the Spidey part. Much more sarcastic humor that I think was missing for McGuire's Spiderman.

To me it felt like they tried to give a bit of "Drive" style of silent/awkwardness but fell flat on their faces with their attempts at it.

Spider-Man was my favorite growing up - there is just so much potential to this franchise which I feel has been wasted, first with the original trilogy and now with this version...it pains to see Batman and Ironman getting the quality treatment while Spidey is getting this mess...

Skaut_Ech
07-17-2012, 09:26 AM
They're making a new Godzilla. And it's supposed to be awesome, much, much more realistic.

Arrgghhh!!! I have become furious at all these GD remakes. :puke::annoyed: For every former hit movie Hollywood remakes, that means there is some potentially great film that never will see the light of day. Just imagine if the studios turned down making the Matrix cause they wanted to do a new version of Godzilla? Or what if the studios decided to do a remake of Casablanca instead of letting Pulp Fiction see the light of day? When is the last time you saw something revolutionary and new in the theater? (Inception comes to mind, but it's hard to come up with ANYTHING recently)

There is a finite amount of money, finite amount of movie screen and finite amount of weekends. Every time a studio decides to do a remake (Just how cannibalistic IS the movie system? You can only pick at the bones of what's already been done so many times?), that takes up a slot that could have been taken by something new.

Screw all these remakes!! If you guys know many really cool scripts are floating around Hollywood, that look truly fun and clever and exciting, just begging to be made, you'd be pissed, too. Screw another Godzilla remake and any other remake in general. I can only eat leftovers so many days before I need a freshly made meal.

RWB
07-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Arrgghhh!!!
(Just how cannibalistic IS the movie system?.

Pretty bad, almost as many Zombie movies. :D Too easy making retreads. Many folks thought the Paranormal Activity movies were a rip (remake) from the Blair Witch series. Of course it stole the lost footage idea from Cannibal Holocaust.

Suaveness
07-17-2012, 10:48 AM
So...TDKR comes out this week. Just sayin.

Skaut_Ech
07-17-2012, 11:50 AM
Just out of curiosity, I checked out some of remakes that are in the pipeline.

Akira (Are you freaking kidding me?!! And it WON'T be set in Japan, since we're too egocentric as a culture to consider anything not set in USA. USA! USA!)

Dirty Dancing (Why?)

Evil Dead (ICONIC movie with a career making iconic lead. And you're going to try and duplicate that?)

Total Recall (Why bother?)

All Quiet on the Western Front (They are going to remake a film that won TWO Academy awards and is considered one of the greatest films of all time?)

Oldboy (I don't care who is attached to star or direct, Oldboy is a classic. Leave it alone.)

Point Break (Really? Sigh.)

Robocop (The movie had great synergistic timing for the era it came out. That time has passed. Leave it alone.)

The Birds (yeah, let's remake a superclassic movie by a master director....just becasue.)

A Star is Born (Wow. Timely and original. That story has NEVER been done since. Over. And Over. And Over.)

Neverending Story. (Sigh)

Seven Samurai (What new twist could have possibly be done on this?)

Time Bandits (noOOOOooooo..Sewriously. NO!!))

Creature from the Black Lagoon (Casue we haven't had a gazillion monster movies since the original was made.)

Lethal Weapon (It's being worked on. Why, I don't know.)

The Wild Bunch (This movie has already had so much stolen from it already and put in other movies, let alone the fact it's another truly icvonic movie with a perfect cast, it would be beyond stupid

Death Wish (Yes, we need yet another movie about a vigilante seeking vengence.)

RWB, I ultimately decided not to watch Cannibal Holocaust (Good call). Believe it or not, I just don't think I can stomach animals being abused for the sake of entertainment (or any reason) and I can watch about anything.

RWB
07-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Finished Act 1 of Full Metal Jacket (checking to see if my HD dvd copy was still good) and simply forgot how powerful a movie it was. Just a good reminder of how the human mind and spirit can be manipulated by intense pressure.

Unclebuck
07-17-2012, 03:22 PM
So...TDKR comes out this week. Just sayin.

Can't wait to see it in IMAX.

Anyone see a movie at the IMAX screen at AMC Traders Point? I think they upgraded that about a year ago from a regular screen to an IMAX. I question whether it is as big as the Hamilton IMAX screen.

Unclebuck
07-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Finished Act 1 of Full Metal Jacket (checking to see if my HD dvd copy was still good) and simply forgot how powerful a movie it was. Just a good reminder of how the human mind and spirit can be manipulated by intense pressure.

The first half of that movie IMO was a classic. The second half was borderline horrible

Suaveness
07-17-2012, 03:29 PM
Can't wait to see it in IMAX.

Anyone see a movie at the IMAX screen at AMC Traders Point? I think they upgraded that about a year ago from a regular screen to an IMAX. I question whether it is as big as the Hamilton IMAX screen.

I'm watching it at the IMAX on the southside of Indy, AMC showplace 17 I think.

I think 1 hr of the movie is pure IMAX, should be lots of fun.

Unclebuck
07-17-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm watching it at the IMAX on the southside of Indy, AMC showplace 17 I think.

I think 1 hr of the movie is pure IMAX, should be lots of fun.

The first real IMAX movie I ever saw was the Dark Knight and the action scenes in IMAX were incredible. I new the picture would be much larger, but I didn't realize it was going to be much sharper. 3D does nothing for me, but I love IMAX, but I don't remember any movies actually shot in IMAX except Dark Knight and MI-4 - although only the action scenes are shot in IMAX. But yeah from the reviews I've read about half of the Dark Knight Rises is shot in IMAX and it is a 2 hour and 45 minute movie.

Is IMAX on southside nice than IMAX Hamilton exit 10 in Noblesville. Southside is too far for me though

Hicks
07-17-2012, 03:59 PM
I saw TDK in IMAX before it was out of theaters after having seen it normally a few times already. It was neat, but also kind of underwhelming because I saw it at the Indiana State Museum, and to me that theater is not very good when it comes to brightness of the picture and clarity of the picture.

So a good IMAX screen is supposed to have better detail, then? I guess that's right from what I've read about IMAX cameras themselves, but the detail did not pop at all at the State Museum. It was just bigger/ more picture.

I've been to one movie using the IMAX screen near Noblesville (I think that's the Hamilton one??), whatever the one is on 69 that you would pass if you were heading down 69 towards the Fishers/Castleton area.

Anyway, I was there once but it was Avatar, so not true IMAX. Should I go back to that one for TDKR when I want to see it with IMAX? Any good?

I think I'm going to see it 'regular' first; the size of that screen was just a bit too much when I went to see the TDKR prologue / Mission Impossible 4 at the State Museum (and again it was also not very sharp and too dark). But I had to basically choose between watching the top half of the movie or the bottom half.

Maybe I just need to sit towards the back?

Unclebuck
07-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Hicks - Yes that is the theater. IMAX 17 Hamilton - at exit 10 along 69 - Hamilton Towne Center. Yes true IMAX picture is a lot bigger but the picture is much sharper. I would compare it to going from a regular HD picture to a Blu-Ray. Not quite as big of a difference as going from regular old TV to HD, but it is noticeable.

I typically sit about 2/3 the way back and it is incredible. Highly recommend

Hicks
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I'll probably go for 2/3 the way back at the IMAX 17 Hamilton next week if I can get away, then. Going to see it late Saturday morning in Muncie first. (Can't make it Friday).

AesopRockOn
07-17-2012, 05:12 PM
Seven Samurai (What new twist could have possibly be done on this?)

http://www.edlin.org/images/holt/images/books/snowwhite2.gif

bellisimo
07-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Tucker & Dale vs Evil - good fun

Sparhawk
07-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Going for Korean BBQ for lunch and seeing TDKR at 3:20 on Sat in IMAX. I'm hoping by going a little early that I won't have trouble getting tickets. I hate evening rushes. If I can't see it in IMAX, there is a 3:50 on a regular screen.

cdash
07-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Just in case it wasn't clear by my posting habits, I will illustrate just how big of a loser I am: Not only did I buy tickets to the midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises, but since I really don't know many people around here I am going alone. Awesome. On top of that, the theater close to my apartment doesn't have IMAX, so I also decided to travel to Ann Arbor on Sunday (50 miles away) so that I can go see the movie in IMAX--once again, alone. On the plus side, I am so ****ing pumped for this movie. Probably right up there with The Dark Knight for my most anticipated movie ever.

Hicks
07-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Turns out when I was checking movie times for Friday the other day, they just hadn't listed them all yet. I thought 2:30 seemed odd to be the earliest showing in July, but that's what I was shown so I had to go by that and so I bought a ticket for The Dark Knight Rises on Saturday morning instead.

Now it turns out there ARE morning showings on Friday where I'm going to see it, so I'm going to 'suffer along' and watch it two mornings in a row (pre-bought the tickets). Very excited. :)

Sandman21
07-19-2012, 05:08 PM
I must figure out when I will be seeing TDKR....

hoosierguy
07-19-2012, 08:30 PM
I know that Nolan has a great flair for the dramatic and is big on pushing profound themes in his films but he fails to adequately address and explore them in a coherent, logical manner. Some superficially serious dialogue and moody music does not make a poignant and intelligent film.

cdash
07-19-2012, 08:54 PM
I know that Nolan has a great flair for the dramatic and is big on pushing profound themes in his films but he fails to adequately address and explore them in a coherent, logical manner. Some superficially serious dialogue and moody music does not make a poignant and intelligent film.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I violently disagree with your assessment of Christopher Nolan. For my money, he is the best director alive. Not just for his Batman films, but I am a huge fan of Inception and The Prestige as well. His films are beautifully shot, thought provoking, extremely clever, and open to interpretation. Honestly, as much as I love Batman, I am anxious to see where he goes next, besides his producing credit for the new Superman reboot.

joeyd
07-20-2012, 12:02 AM
Recently watched the original version (in Japanese with English subtitles, not the version with added footage with Raymond Burr for American audiences) and it was a real treat.

joeyd
07-20-2012, 12:05 AM
Just out of curiosity, I checked out some of remakes that are in the pipeline.

Creature from the Black Lagoon (Casue we haven't had a gazillion monster movies since the original was made.)

As someone who appreciates the old horror/monster movies, I have rarely look forward or even go to remakes. The Fly (1986) was an exception, and I actually thought it was on par content wise with the original. Of course, the special effects were fantastic.

Bball
07-20-2012, 04:21 AM
I would compare it to going from a regular HD picture to a Blu-Ray

Huh?

Hypnotiq
07-20-2012, 05:14 AM
Dark Knight Rises - Look ill be honest im not the biggest fan of it there where parts of the movie where it was incredibly boring and i just wanted to fall asleep, ending battle though is epic and abit of a mind blown kinda moment.

RobRoy317
07-20-2012, 08:55 AM
"Flubber" starring Robin Williams. The only movie that comes even CLOSE to the amount of glory and prestige this film did was another of his classics "RV", co-starring JoJo

RWB
07-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Huh?

Its one louder, get on board.

Edit: Not trying to be a wise guy on ya UB. Rather I suspect Bball may have some questions about your comment because of 1080P vs 720p or it's the actually the same as 1080i, what size screen are you talking about, what's the viewing distance, in other words there is alot of confusion on what the eye can really pick up, etc. The friendly sales folks at Best Buy, Frys, and what use to be Circuit City really did a Sales job on people.

vnzla81
07-20-2012, 04:30 PM
The Dark Night, great movie.

AesopRockOn
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
You For my money, he is the best director alive.

Paul Thomas Anderson drinks Nolan's milkshake.

cdash
07-20-2012, 05:05 PM
Paul Thomas Anderson drinks Nolan's milkshake.

Anyone with Punch Drunk Love on their resume isn't touching that milkshake. I do adore There Will Be Blood though.

spreedom
07-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I saw TDKR last night at midnight, and again this morning, and I'm having a hard time talking myself into thinking that I liked it.

AesopRockOn
07-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Anyone with Punch Drunk Love on their resume isn't touching that milkshake. I do adore There Will Be Blood though.

I think he will be having that milkshake, if only just to cure his Insomnia.

Heisenberg
07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I don't have any cute puns, but PT Anderson's The Master is going to sweep all the awards. I'd rather watch just the trailer than a lot of the recent movies.

spreedom
07-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I don't have any cute puns, but PT Anderson's The Master is going to sweep all the awards. I'd rather watch just the trailer than a lot of the recent movies.

If all movies are judged by their trailers, what the hell happened to Terminator Salvation? That had just about the best action movie trailer ever and the movie was still a steaming turd.

Heisenberg
07-20-2012, 10:42 PM
If all movies are judged by their trailers, what the hell happened to Terminator Salvation? That had just about the best action movie trailer ever and the movie was still a steaming turd.

I don't remember the trailers for it, but I do know McG directed it. It was obvious from the jump it'd be awful.

Hicks
07-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I was surprisingly disappointed by TDKR. I couldn't BELIEVE how it was so less well put together than TDK. The pacing was just plain CLUNKY. A lot of beats just felt somewhat 'off' to me, and overall it just didn't work for me very well, and the ending didn't even make me flinch other than the heartbreaking few seconds with Aflred speaking to Bruce's parents' graves. Didn't like so much of it in the daylight, either. Didn't buy Bruce suddenly being able to beat Bane in a fight (I was expecting him to win by changing up tactics, instead he just stupidly goes right back in with a mano-a-mano fist fight. Really?? We've already established that Bruce was/is extremely rusty, older, a worn down body, and that in this context he's no match for Bane in a straight up fight, but yet the same man, now having just barely recovered from a spinal injury on top of his previous issues, is now ready to win under similar circumstances? That just didn't work for me. And speaking of the end of that fight... why the hell did Bane just sit there and we never even SEE him again once his mask is fixed?

I had HEAVY suspicions Bruce would die, and so while I didn't know for sure it would happen, the fact that he did die didn't surprise me. What did surprise me was I barely cared. It felt so unlike the first two movies to have this happen in broad daylight, in a weird *** flying machine, dangling that somewhat distracting sci-fi-esque ball of a fusion reactor/nuclear bomb with a cable, only to watch him fly out to sea and then have it/him blow up with a mushroom cloud. That was so cartoony, and yet again it felt like another victim of a rushed pace/awkward editing. VERY unsatisfying to me. Their first fight was much better, even with its flaws. Disturbing/hard to watch, which is what I thought would be the case when he died (I thought Bane would kill him). Instead, they get all of that out of their system during Bane Bats I, and in comparison Bane Bats II is a letdown, and he dies in the already-described off-kilter fashion that didn't even resonate with me. I was expecting this to be tear-jerking, but it didn't even come close. It felt rushed and poorly handled.

I know it sounds like I'm ripping this to shreds, but while there's plenty to complain about, there ARE numerous nice bits of good material here, it just did not click at all. TDK was like a near-perfect product in terms of all of the pieces coming together, but here the pieces just DON'T come together very well at all. I keep coming back to the word clunky. The story is clunky, the pace/editing is clunky, a lot of the scenes feel off somehow... it was just shocking how out of rhythm this movie feels compared to the first two.

Nothing has time to breathe or resonate, either. It's just like a kid telling a story, "And then THIS happens, and then THIS happens, and then THIS happens, and then THIS happens, etc." Amazing how a 2 hour, 45 minute movie can feel rushed and bloated at the same time. I keep coming back to the editing as the biggest complaint I have. Number two would have to be the story writing. Now I know why all of the trailers and TV spots tended to feel 'off' to me; it's because the entire movie is 'off' somehow. If I didn't know better, I would have thought a different director made this movie. It's the sloppiest, least-coherent Nolan movie I've seen to date. It's like, scene to scene, this movie needed more time to let things air out and breathe (sometimes BADLY), yet in the bigger narrative picture, this thing could have stood to be slimmed down. So, yeah, I point to editing here. But I'm not letting the writing off the hook, either.

I'm stunned by all of the issues with this film. I knew better than to expect another Dark Knight, but I did expect another Batman Begins, and I just didn't feel like that's what I got. This easily is the worst of the 3 to me. I'm officially giving up on anyone ever making three good movies in a superhero trilogy. After X-Men 3, Spider-Man 3, and now The Dark Knight Rises, I give up on that. If all of those couldn't do it, I'd be FLOORED if someone else pulls it off in the future. #3 just seems to always fall short for numerous reasons.

The funny part is, I'm already committed to a ticket to see it again tomorrow morning! :laugh:

Which feels good and bad. Bad when I dwell on all of my issues, but good in that there's a lot to take in here, and I'm interested to see how I process things a second time around.

I'm just so dumbfounded to be in this frame of mind tonight; I was sincerely excited as I drove to the movie theater this morning (something I don't feel easily anymore), and again I was hoping for at least another Batman Begins (a movie I like more than many do, I think). I feel off balance right now.

Oh, and also:

I really felt the absence of the Joker. From what I knew going into the movie, I not only knew they weren't going to talk about him, but I also felt that wouldn't really matter as this plot doesn't need him... or so I thought. But when they establish that Gotham is completely out of control, with no police/government, and the jails being broke open... WHY THE HELL (in the context of the movie, obviously not real life's explanation) WOULD WE NOT SEE THE JOKER RIGHT IN THE THICK OF ALL OF THAT?? I mean you get the Scarecrow acting as "judge" for people, but wouldn't that almost have made more sense for the Joker to be in that position? And if not, surely he would be ECSTATIC to be back on the loose again after EIGHT YEARS to stew on how things played out after The Dark Knight's plot. I really missed that once I realized it should have been happening. I totally understand given Ledger's death they didn't want to go there, but it's frustrating that the plot holds the door WIDE OPEN for a Joker presence, and they just couldn't/wouldn't let him walk through it.

The positive side to this is that by him not being included, this movie doesn't get the chance to diminish Ledger or the character as he so brilliantly performed it in The Dark Knight. That role is now completely isolated with that great movie, and that's not a bad thing from that point of view. He probably would have felt diminished here on multiple levels had he been alive to play the role again in a cameo.

Hicks
07-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Huh?

I was assuming he meant compressed broadcast (via cable or satellite or fiber) television HD versus a blu-ray disc's image quality.

spreedom
07-20-2012, 11:36 PM
I know it sounds like I'm ripping this to shreds, but while there's plenty to complain about, there ARE numerous nice bits of good material here, it just did not click at all. TDK was like a near-perfect product in terms of all of the pieces coming together, but here the pieces just DON'T come together very well at all. I keep coming back to the word clunky. The story is clunky, the pace/editing is clunky, a lot of the scenes feel off somehow... it was just shocking how out of rhythm this movie feels compared to the first two.

Agreed, though:

The fight scene between Batman and Bane in the sewer is arguably the best of the entire trilogy. The part where Bane has him down, punching him in the face/mask while Bruce can't even put his hands up to defend himself... that was extremely tough for me to watch. The way that fight showed how Bruce was out of shape and knew he didn't have a chance was beautiful movie making. I almost teared up watching Batman's desperation and determination, despite the fact that he knew how overwhelmed he was.

Hicks
07-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I updated my post to comment on that.

Suaveness
07-21-2012, 12:10 AM
I completely disagree, I thought it was fun film. It would have been really difficult to beat TDK in terms of suspense and theatricality, but I thought it was still well done. I'm too lazy to post a rebuttal on most of that, but for me I just really enjoyed all of the characters. I do like TDK better, but in no way was this a bad film.

cdash
07-21-2012, 12:16 AM
I have a side question for all Batman fans: What if Heath Ledger wouldn't have died? Would TDKR have been an entirely different movie? Would The Joker have been involved? Would they not have gone out of their way to avoid mentioning him? Would the battle that was "destined to last forever" have continued? Would the triology have benefitted with another Ledger/Joker film? Would Ledger's Joker lose some mystique from another film?

Hicks
07-21-2012, 12:17 AM
At least a cameo, I think.

Suaveness
07-21-2012, 12:21 AM
I think the Joker would haven been mentioned and would definitely be in the movie. But that can't happen so there's no use worrying about it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/16/the-dark-knight-rises-review

I think this sums up how I feel. I agree there are plot issues, but I think the tone of the movie was good. I personally enjoyed the increased light in this movie as it was a nice break from the darkness of the last movie. It didn't have me on the edger of my seat like the end of TDK, but that's ok. And I definitely feel this was more comic-booky, which I really enjoyed.

cdash
07-21-2012, 12:22 AM
I completely disagree, I thought it was fun film. It would have been really difficult to beat TDK in terms of suspense and theatricality, but I thought it was still well done. I'm too lazy to post a rebuttal on most of that, but for me I just really enjoyed all of the characters. I do like TDK better, but in no way was this a bad film.

I really liked TDKR. Comparing it to TDK is inevitable, but that was a damn near perfect film for it's genre. The Joker is Batman's chief villain and Ledger perfected that role. We had such high expectations for this film that anything shy of amazing would not have sufficed. It is still a great film and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The Dark Knight was better, but looking at the bigger picture, this triology will go down as one of the best in history. I was upset when TDKR ended mainly because I knew this was the last time we would see Nolan's Batman on screen. He changed the genre. Batman Begins is just another origin story if you watch it now. But back when it came out, it was a revelation.

cdash
07-21-2012, 12:24 AM
At least a cameo, I think.

Speaking of cameos...

I have hated both of Cillian Murphy's cameos since Begins. It was silly in TDK, and his "judge" role in TDKR was forced. I really could have done without that.

Suaveness
07-21-2012, 12:24 AM
the ending didn't even make me flinch other than the heartbreaking few seconds with Aflred speaking to Bruce's parents' graves. Didn't like so much of it in the daylight, either. Didn't buy Bruce suddenly being able to beat Bane in a fight (I was expecting him to win by changing up tactics, instead he just stupidly goes right back in with a mano-a-mano fist fight. Really?? We've already established that Bruce was/is extremely rusty, older, a worn down body, and that in this context he's no match for Bane in a straight up fight, but yet the same man, now having just barely recovered from a spinal injury on top of his previous issues, is now ready to win under similar circumstances? That just didn't work for me. And speaking of the end of that fight... why the hell did Bane just sit there and we never even SEE him again once his mask is fixed?

I had HEAVY suspicions Bruce would die, and so while I didn't know for sure it would happen, the fact that he did die didn't surprise me. What did surprise me was I barely cared. It felt so unlike the first two movies to have this happen in broad daylight, in a weird *** flying machine, dangling that somewhat distracting sci-fi-esque ball of a fusion reactor/nuclear bomb with a cable, only to watch him fly out to sea and then have it/him blow up with a mushroom cloud. That was so cartoony, and yet again it felt like another victim of a rushed pace/awkward editing. VERY unsatisfying to me. Their first fight was much better, even with its flaws. Disturbing/hard to watch, which is what I thought would be the case when he died (I thought Bane would kill him). Instead, they get all of that out of their system during Bane Bats I, and in comparison Bane Bats II is a letdown, and he dies in the already-described off-kilter fashion that didn't even resonate with me. I was expecting this to be tear-jerking, but it didn't even come close. It felt rushed and poorly handled.

Um, I thought Bruce lived?

cdash
07-21-2012, 12:26 AM
Um, I thought Bruce lived?

He did.

Was anyone else expecting Nolan to pull an Inception on us? I was certain that when Alfred looked up at the end of the film that the screen would go blank and it would be open to our interpretation.

Suaveness
07-21-2012, 12:40 AM
He did.

Was anyone else expecting Nolan to pull an Inception on us? I was certain that when Alfred looked up at the end of the film that the screen would go blank and it would be open to our interpretation.

Then what about the whole autopilot thing that Bruce solved at the end, when Fox found out about it? Couldn't he have just turned the autopilot on and jumped off beforehand?

I would say more that Batman died, but Bruce didn't.

Hicks
07-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Really? I'll try to pay attention to the auto pilot thing, but for now I'm saying he's dead and that was just Alfred imagining what he wanted to see, kind of how Bruce imagined Ra's al Ghul earlier in the film.

Besides, you have the camera on that thing as it flies out to sea, and obviously you don't see him jump, and I even thought you cut to him in the cockpit right before it blew?

Sparhawk
07-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Is everyone seeing TDKR is IMAX? IMAX keeps selling out before I get a ticket, and I really don't want to catch an 8am IMAX on Sunday. Has anyone seen it in a regular theater?

Suaveness
07-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Really? I'll try to pay attention to the auto pilot thing, but for now I'm saying he's dead and that was just Alfred imagining what he wanted to see, kind of how Bruce imagined Ra's al Ghul earlier in the film.

Besides, you have the camera on that thing as it flies out to sea, and obviously you don't see him jump, and I even thought you cut to him in the cockpit right before it blew?

I think the Alfred thing at the end is very ambiguous, because Nolan did the same thing at the end of Inception with the spinning top. But the other details point towards Bruce being alive. When they are examining the Batwing at the end, they tell a surprised Fox that the autopilot was actually corrected. Fox asks who did that, and the guys reply Bruce Wayne. So I think it's logical to feel that he could have set the autopilot at the end there and then jumped out sometime before detonation. The "cut" to Bruce before the explosion could have been anytime during that flight, to increase dramatic-ness.

I also think the bag left for Robin and the fixed batsignal could have been done by Bruce. The bag left for Robin COULD have been done way earlier, but I don't think Bruce had that in his mind while fighting for his life against Bane. I think more likely is that he did that and gave directions to the batcave AFTER the events were over. And I think the Batsignal could have been fixed by anyone, but my gut says Bruce did it.

Suaveness
07-21-2012, 10:24 AM
Is everyone seeing TDKR is IMAX? IMAX keeps selling out before I get a ticket, and I really don't want to catch an 8am IMAX on Sunday. Has anyone seen it in a regular theater?

What's a regular theatre? All IMAX baby, it's worth it.

Hicks
07-21-2012, 10:36 AM
It'll be day 2 of non-IMAX for me this morning, but I'll make a point of checking it out in another week or two in IMAX.

vnzla81
07-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Is anybody disappointed that they used that girl as the main actress? She killed that character for me and yes I agree with everything you said Hicks.

IMAX was awesome by the way.

I also think is sad that Joseph Levitt was the first actor that came to my mind as Heat L replacement and they used him in a different way, I'm dissappointed about that.

Just look how similar they look:

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/polls/280000/280748_1249683641987_full.jpg

http://brandnewcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Joseph-gordon-levitt.jpg

He could have been perfect :(

vnzla81
07-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Funny that I was doing some research online and it looks like I'm not the only one that thought about that :laugh:

http://4starblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Ledger-and-Gordon-Levitt.jpg

Hicks
07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Wow. What a difference a day makes. Just got out from my second viewing, and this movie's stock has definitely risen with me.

I can't explain why, but the pacing didn't bother me NEARLY as much today as before, a little bit more of the plot made sense this time (though I still have nits to pick), and:

Bane Bats Duex bothered me slightly less for a few reasons:

1) Bane seemed a bit less sure of himself given the circumstances and his incredulity that Batman recovered from his situation

2) Maybe its just in my head, but it seemed like Bruce tried a bit harder to block/deflect more of Bane's blows (learning his lesson a little / some familiarity with Bane's fighting style?)

3) Yesterday I wondered why he seemed to punch Bane in the face during both fights while only the second time managing to damage the mask. First, he didn't realize the significance of it the first time (he learned its purpose in prison) and I caught this time that he finally damaged it by slashing it with his wrist blades, a detail I missed before.

4) I think part of my problem yesterday was I spent too much time/effort thinking about the movie while it was still going that I failed to process some of what I was seeing. Somehow it didn't register yesterday that Bane does NOT merely lay there in pain or to die, but that it wasnt just some drone who was stringing up Batman's neck with that black rope, but in fact it was Bane back on his feet, and of course THAT is who Selina blows to hell with the batpod's canon.

As for the ending, yes, I was wrong. I think Bruce is alive. The bits about him fixing the autopilot are there, and I think I heard mention that his mother's pearls were missing from the inventory as the estate was liquidated. I failed to confirm if Selina was wearing them or not in that last shot with Alfred and Bruce. I hope they were there; it'd be a nice touch.

Still has its flaws, still don't love it, but man I feel noticeably better about it now than I did last night. I'm pleasantly surprised at the turnaround. The movie went up a notch or two in my eyes.

Suaveness
07-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow. What a difference a day makes. Just got out from my second viewing, and this movie's stock has definitely risen with me.

I can't explain why, but the pacing didn't bother me NEARLY as much today as before, a little bit more of the plot made sense this time (though I still have nits to pick), and:

1) Bane seemed a bit less sure of himself given the circumstances and his incredulity that Batman recovered from his situation

2) Maybe its just in my head, but it seemed like Bruce tried a bit harder to block/deflect more of Bane's blows (learning his lesson a little / some familiarity with Bane's fighting style?)

3) Yesterday I wondered why he seemed to punch Bane in the face during both fights while only the second time managing to damage the mask. First, he didn't realize the significance of it the first time (he learned its purpose in prison) and I caught this time that he finally damaged it by slashing it with his wrist blades, a detail I missed before.

4) I think part of my problem yesterday was I spent too much time/effort thinking about the movie while it was still going that I failed to process some of what I was seeing. Somehow it didn't register yesterday that Bane does NOT merely lay there in pain or to die, but that it wasnt just some drone who was stringing up Batman's neck with that black rope, but in fact it was Bane back on his feet, and of course THAT is who Selina blows to hell with the batpod's canon.

As for the ending, yes, I was wrong. I think Bruce is alive. The bits about him fixing the autopilot are there, and I think I heard mention that his mother's pearls were missing from the inventory as the estate was liquidated. I failed to confirm if Selina was wearing them or not in that last shot with Alfred and Bruce. I hope they were there; it'd be a nice touch.

Still has its flaws, still don't love it, but man I feel noticeably better about it now than I did last night. I'm pleasantly surprised at the turnaround. The movie went up a notch or two in my eyes.

Also regarding the 2nd Bane Batman fight. In the comics, Bane isn't really stronger than Batman. What he does in order to beat the Bats the first time is to wear him down mentally and fatigue him before fighting him. Not sure I got that fully in the movie, but Bane made Batman fight a lot and wear him down before they fought, so Bane had a physical and mental advantage over Bruce. The difference in the 2nd fight was that Bruce had a much stronger mental willpower, so he fought to his potential, which happens to be strong enough to beat Bane.

At least that's how I feel about it.

LoneGranger33
07-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I received a DVD three-pack of Ernest movies last night, including such classics as Ernest Goes to Jail and Ernest Scared Stupid. I can honestly say I enjoyed these movies as a kid - and will certainly watch them again at some point - but it is a shame that the first result in Google when you search for Ernest is P. Worrell, not Hemingway.

idioteque
07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
I still haven't seen the new Batman yet

Steagles
07-21-2012, 11:55 PM
I watched The Day After Tomorrow today on TV. I really wanted to love this movie, but something was wrong. I am not sure what, but something made me not love this movie. Meh.

rexnom
07-22-2012, 12:48 AM

I think Bruce Wayne has to live for the story to make any sense. If he willingly sacrificed himself for the city like that, he didn't really learn a.) the value of living and b.) to fear death.

AesopRockOn
07-22-2012, 04:34 AM
The Dark Knight Rises - I'm gonna go H.A.M. and say it's better than The Dark Knight. It may have more to do with TDK since I consider the last third of that movie really poorly done. I think that Nolan may have commented on it with some of the things that JGL's character said to Commissioner Gordon in the apartment scene. This movie didn't need to out-moralize itself. It's incredibly ambitious plot-wise and yet finds a way to be much simpler and relevant than TDK. Nolan is pretty much on-point with action now. Things are close-up when they need to be, there's the right perspective. I didn't see it in IMAX, but the flying stuff stood out nonetheless. Hathaway is so, so good; JGL is strong as always; and Tom Hardy made that gotse-faced ******* into a hell of a villain, not quite Health Ledger's Joker, but not an unworthy followup. It was one of the more nuanced takes on Occupy and current global politics. I do agree that the biggest issues are with the timeframe of the movie, bringing in more elements to make it even denser as the story well along, and a questionable MacGuffin.

What's different about this movie for me and why I actually felt some emotion by the end is because it's about Batman. TDK was a Harvey Dent story about the Joker. TDKR actually had to be about a human character who had to go through some **** and do important things rather than engage in a battle of finding the best moral and intellectual loophole. The monologues in this movie are about characters and people, not broad and grandiose concepts that, while interesting, serve as thematic fodder rather than storytelling material for, oh yeah, the main character of these nearly eight hours of movie. TDK now feels like a very well-done, interesting experiment within a trilogy of movies actually about Bruce Wayne, Batman, and his universe. I think he really closed it out right (except for a pretty gigantic thing I'm putting in the spoilers).

Hicks, I don't want to accuse you of this personally, but I do think that a ton of the hardcore fans set themselves up to be disappointed (and are actually kind of reveling in it). If you (again, not Hicks, the plural y'all of the Internet) wanted the Joker in this movie, then you wanted a different movie. That's fine, but don't watch this one. Or watch it and evaluate it on its own. They made the decision before the movie was written, AFAIK, to leave the Joker out of it. You want the Joker in this? Go fan-fic yourself. But it's not a legit criticism of the movie.

Two questions for people who have seen it:

1. Did you know what was going to happen with Cottiliard's character the whole movie? I remember her getting cast as Talia Shire initially, then watching this I thought, maybe I'm misremembering. And then, oh yeah, she just stabs him inconsequentially. (I think the knife was just on auto-pilot.)

2. Did Wayne die at the end of the movie? To me this is crucial. It's as frustrating as the end of Inception. I really hate bringing back characters who made completely legitimate sacrifices just so the audience can feel better at the end. At least without explanation or foreshadowing. It seemed to me that it wasn't a fantasy since all of the other epilogue type stuff was real. Then again, that particular shot looked like a ******* Proctor and Gamble commercial and featured the same lighting/color scheme as Alfred's previous fantasy. Except in the fantasy, the guy he looks at isn't Wayne, so it is actually just a dumb looking flashback? I'm so confused. I really want him to be dead. It'd be a simple and fitting end, unlike TDK. If that shot at the end is true, the movie goes from an 'A-' to like a 'B-'.

rexnom
07-22-2012, 05:20 AM
The Dark Knight Rises - I'm gonna go H.A.M. and say it's better than The Dark Knight. It may have more to do with TDK since I consider the last third of that movie really poorly done. I think that Nolan may have commented on it with some of the things that JGL's character said to Commissioner Gordon in the apartment scene. This movie didn't need to out-moralize itself. It's incredibly ambitious plot-wise and yet finds a way to be much simpler and relevant than TDK. Nolan is pretty much on-point with action now. Things are close-up when they need to be, there's the right perspective. I didn't see it in IMAX, but the flying stuff stood out nonetheless. Hathaway is so, so good; JGL is strong as always; and Tom Hardy made that gotse-faced ******* into a hell of a villain, not quite Health Ledger's Joker, but not an unworthy followup. It was one of the more nuanced takes on Occupy and current global politics. I do agree that the biggest issues are with the timeframe of the movie, bringing in more elements to make it even denser as the story well along, and a questionable MacGuffin.

What's different about this movie for me and why I actually felt some emotion by the end is because it's about Batman. TDK was a Harvey Dent story about the Joker. TDKR actually had to be about a human character who had to go through some **** and do important things rather than engage in a battle of finding the best moral and intellectual loophole. The monologues in this movie are about characters and people, not broad and grandiose concepts that, while interesting, serve as thematic fodder rather than storytelling material for, oh yeah, the main character of these nearly eight hours of movie. TDK now feels like a very well-done, interesting experiment within a trilogy of movies actually about Bruce Wayne, Batman, and his universe. I think he really closed it out right (except for a pretty gigantic thing I'm putting in the spoilers).

Hicks, I don't want to accuse you of this personally, but I do think that a ton of the hardcore fans set themselves up to be disappointed (and are actually kind of reveling in it). If you (again, not Hicks, the plural y'all of the Internet) wanted the Joker in this movie, then you wanted a different movie. That's fine, but don't watch this one. Or watch it and evaluate it on its own. They made the decision before the movie was written, AFAIK, to leave the Joker out of it. You want the Joker in this? Go fan-fic yourself. But it's not a legit criticism of the movie.

Two questions for people who have seen it:

1. Did you know what was going to happen with Cottiliard's character the whole movie? I remember her getting cast as Talia Shire initially, then watching this I thought, maybe I'm misremembering. And then, oh yeah, she just stabs him inconsequentially. (I think the knife was just on auto-pilot.)

2. Did Wayne die at the end of the movie? To me this is crucial. It's as frustrating as the end of Inception. I really hate bringing back characters who made completely legitimate sacrifices just so the audience can feel better at the end. At least without explanation or foreshadowing. It seemed to me that it wasn't a fantasy since all of the other epilogue type stuff was real. Then again, that particular shot looked like a ******* Proctor and Gamble commercial and featured the same lighting/color scheme as Alfred's previous fantasy. Except in the fantasy, the guy he looks at isn't Wayne, so it is actually just a dumb looking flashback? I'm so confused. I really want him to be dead. It'd be a simple and fitting end, unlike TDK. If that shot at the end is true, the movie goes from an 'A-' to like a 'B-'.
He's not dead. The whole point of the movie was that Bruce needed to find a way to enjoy life. I don't see how you could love the entire movie but prefer that he die. Wasn't that the whole point of the movie? That he should not ​die? That is the most fitting ending, both for this movie and the trilogy.

cdash
07-22-2012, 08:39 PM
I watched The Day After Tomorrow today on TV. I really wanted to love this movie, but something was wrong. I am not sure what, but something made me not love this movie. Meh.

Yeah, something was wrong--it's a terrible ****ing movie :laugh:

cdash
07-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I think he will be having that milkshake, if only just to cure his Insomnia.

Insomnia? The same Insomnia with a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with 100% of Top Critics, and a 78 Metascore?

cdash
07-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Anyone catch the teaser for Man of Steel yet? There are two versions of it, one has Russell Crowe narrating and it is pretty epic. Nolan's name being attached even as a producer has me excited for this movie, and I have never given a **** about Superman.

Hicks
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Someone has put up the last two minutes of TDKR on YouTube.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YMk_pJPyvSM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hard to be 100% sure with the picture quality, but I think I see the pearl necklace on Selina's neck, which they clearly reference a moment earlier as being missing, and the bigger giveaway that this is real and Bruce did make it out is the bit I forgot about: Jim Gordon. The way that scene reads to me, he was NOT expecting that fixed bat signal to be there, and you see him immediately smile and look around as if he's going to see Bruce when he does.

Could it all be interpreted differently? Yeah, I think so, but I'm leaning towards it's meant to be real.

My only gripe with that (because I like the idea of him surviving) is how the hell am I supposed to believe you can eject from an aircraft and be out of dodge from the nuclear explosion that happens right next to it within seconds after you try to escape? This borders on 'too picky for a movie' territory, but doesn't quite cross the line AFAIC; so I'm gonna say it: it kinda bothers me.

Skaut_Ech
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Man, I could go on and on about TDKR and the little things I liked about it. I thought it was a great movie and any quibbles I have are basically minor in the grand scheme of things. One thing that is cracking me up is how the fanboys are so upset about the movie. They didn't want Nolan to actually create something, they wanted him to slavishly reproduce what they had seen in the comics. Did they not learn from Watchmen. We all saw how that turned out. A couple of thoughts:

The two major fights between Bane and Batman. I noticed some complains about how Bats beat him the second time by basically doing the same thins, going mano a mano. BIG dif in both fights. In the first fight he's out of shape and most importantly, not in the right frame of mind. Batman thought he could go on auto-pilot (cough-cough), show up and smack Bane around. Bear in mind. He had never come up against someone like Bane. I think I heard a critic likening it to Rocky fighting Clubber Lang the first time when he'd just been coasting fighting average guys. The he meets Clubber and gets overwhelmed. I think it's an apt comparison. In the second fight Batman had obviously been honing his body after his beating. His will drove him as he fought to live (One of the themes of the movie, I think), as opposed to being willing to die for the city. The second fight, to me, felt more deliberate, while the first one felt like he was surprised and fighting more like a desperate animal with no real tactics.

The knife in the gut. I thought that was a nice touch in a sense of tying back to the second film where he redesigns his suit, despite being warned he'll be more vulnerable to knife attacks. I didn't take it for anything more than a psuedo metaphorical knife in the back, so to speak, from someone he trusts. She's not trying to kill him. I think she did it for the shock value to punctuate what she was going to tell him.

The Joker. Even if Heath was alive, the Joker would want no part of the situation in Gotham. Joker wanted anarchy. He wanted Chaos. Think about it. He would want NO part of a militaristic lock-down of a city: Rules on who lives and who dies. Rules on who goes where. Bane upended the social order, but instituted his OWN highly restrictive order. The Joker would have wanted nothing to do with that. So for those of you who would have liked to have seen the Joker in this, it just doesn't fit, in my book.

I loved the ending. Batman became the symbol he always wanted him to be. Bruce, after using his device to erase Catwoman's past, gives both of them a clean slate to become new people and live their lives. I like to think that Nolan was being a little clever setting the little cafe in France. (A little nod to the French Revolution, which the situation is Gotham had a little sideways analogy.) It wouldn't be fitting for Bruce to die. Once again. Think back to the last movie. He wanted a day when the world no longer needed Batman. His dream was to someday live his own life. His motivation was to save Gotham. Is it that terrible that Nolan felt Bruce should be rewarded with his dream? Bruce wanted Batman to be a symbol of hope. Bane wanted to use hope as a carrot to help crush the spirit. Batman felt hope was something people could use to fight for a better life. Why would he die at the end and not be an emblem of hope being rewarded? Made sense to me. Thematically, every movie was tied to the same thing: The words of Thomas Wayne- Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up. Wouldn't it have spit in the face of that to have him die? I don't think it could have ended any other way. I think you have to take a little well earned leap of faith that Bruce escaped off camera due to some kind of preplanned for something weird happening where he had to escape the Bat lickety-split.

I could go on and on, but I stop there.

BTW, I saw the movie in the State museum, which from what I understand, is the only, TRUE IMAX theater in the state. If you can, see it there.

Hicks
07-23-2012, 09:59 AM

I didn't set myself up to be disappointed, and I'm certainly not reveling in it. Of course I *wanted* the Joker in this movie, but only in a fantasy world where Heath Ledger didn't die kind of way. As I thought I had already explained in a previous post, I knew for a long time they weren't going to put the Joker in this movie, and more recently I knew they weren't even going to mention him, and I knew this was because of Nolan's emotions surrounding the loss of Heath Ledger. That's all fine and good. Sad for the narrative, but completely understandable.

My complaint about it was:

My complaint is not really a criticism but rather just mere frustration as to reality: Because of Ledger's death, and the way the plot worked out, there's an elephant in the room. Clearly with the state of Gotham after Bane's takeover, the Joker would have been like a kid in the candy store. Yet we don't see him, hear him, or have him mentioned. For real life reasons, this makes absolute sense and I'm okay with it. It's just too bad because it seems obvious that had Ledger survived, there was a place for the Joker in this finale, and that could have been awesome. I missed him.

But that's not a strike against the film in terms of why it disappointed me. I completely understand why it was the way that it was. That's okay.

In a more general, let's not focus on the Joker sense, this isn't really the movie I wanted it to be, but please don't tell me what to watch. That's kind of insulting.

And, again, it's not a criticism of the movie, it's just a frustration in general.

Hicks
07-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Man, I could go on and on about TDKR and the little things I liked about it. I thought it was a great movie and any quibbles I have are basically minor in the grand scheme of things. One thing that is cracking me up is how the fanboys are so upset about the movie. They didn't want Nolan to actually create something, they wanted him to slavishly reproduce what they had seen in the comics.

I've read/heard that in some corners. Makes me incredulous, too. "Batman would never do that! Alfred would never do that!" Whatever. It made sense to me. I generally don't like WILD departures from source material, but I had zero problem with their choices from that standpoint.

Did they not learn from Watchmen. We all saw how that turned out.

Actually, one of my problems with Watchmen was when they didn't stick to the script, so to speak. The two biggies being that they barely try to make Ozy NOT look evil from the start, so it's not nearly the shock as it was in the books, and I thought the nuclear bomb thing was weaker than what is used in the comics. Personally, and I forget who it was that said it right now, but I agree with anyone who thinks that shouldn't even have been a movie, but an HBO miniseries with a big budget. Can you imagine if they had gone that route and committed 4-10 hours to it?

Anyway:

A couple of thoughts:

The two major fights between Bane and Batman. I noticed some complains about how Bats beat him the second time by basically doing the same thins, going mano a mano. BIG dif in both fights. In the first fight he's out of shape and most importantly, not in the right frame of mind. Batman thought he could go on auto-pilot (cough-cough), show up and smack Bane around. Bear in mind. He had never come up against someone like Bane. I think I heard a critic likening it to Rocky fighting Clubber Lang the first time when he'd just been coasting fighting average guys. The he meets Clubber and gets overwhelmed. I think it's an apt comparison. In the second fight Batman had obviously been honing his body after his beating. His will drove him as he fought to live (One of the themes of the movie, I think), as opposed to being willing to die for the city. The second fight, to me, felt more deliberate, while the first one felt like he was surprised and fighting more like a desperate animal with no real tactics.

I pretty much agree with all of that. The only nagging points are: He still has no cartilage, his body was further beaten to a pulp (more severe head trauma after already showing concussive damage prior to), and now he's been through a spinal injury that was medically treated in a jail with no equipment other than a rope. And isn't it safe to assume the tech knee brace is gone? I know he's doing curls, pull-ups, push-ups and what not, but really? That's going to make up for everything else?

I'm willing to let all that go, but it doesn't quite add up.

The knife in the gut. I thought that was a nice touch in a sense of tying back to the second film where he redesigns his suit, despite being warned he'll be more vulnerable to knife attacks. I didn't take it for anything more than a psuedo metaphorical knife in the back, so to speak, from someone he trusts. She's not trying to kill him. I think she did it for the shock value to punctuate what she was going to tell him.

Speaking of Talia, my question about her and Bane is: Just what the hell have they been doing the past nine years? TDK takes place a year after Ra's death, plus we're a further eight years along now, so it's been nine years and suddenly the two of them want to pick up the torch and get their revenge on Bruce? What the hell were they waiting for?

Also, is the assumption supposed to be that since Ra's and the various LoS ninjas knew Bruce Wayne was Batman, that at some point they communicated this to Talia and Bane, wherever they were at the time? That's fine, I guess, but they never directly addressed it, so I was wondering if there might be more to it.

The Joker. Even if Heath was alive, the Joker would want no part of the situation in Gotham. Joker wanted anarchy. He wanted Chaos. Think about it. He would want NO part of a militaristic lock-down of a city: Rules on who lives and who dies. Rules on who goes where. Bane upended the social order, but instituted his OWN highly restrictive order. The Joker would have wanted nothing to do with that. So for those of you who would have liked to have seen the Joker in this, it just doesn't fit, in my book.

Well... sort of. I completely agree he wouldn't be teaming up with Bane. No way. They belong in different philosophical corners. But there's no way Bane's crew had enough man power to keep him in check. And clearly Bane and crew were letting people do a bit of whatever they wanted (looting et al). I think the Joker would make a break for it as the jails got sprung, and then decide how to introduce a little anarchy to Bane's order. I think he'd view Bane as a new toy to play with now that Batman wasn't around. And he'd have a five month window to work in. I can still see how you could include him. Not directly into how this film plays out, but in re-writes.

But, as I've said, we all know why they didn't even mention the guy, and it's the sad truth of Ledger's death. A bummer, but understandable. I'm not holding that against the movie.

I loved the ending. Batman became the symbol he always wanted him to be. Bruce, after using his device to erase Catwoman's past, gives both of them a clean slate to become new people and live their lives.

Yeah, I hadn't considered that device as much until I heard others pointing this out, and I do like that touch.

I like to think that Nolan was being a little clever setting the little cafe in France. (A little nod to the French Revolution, which the situation is Gotham had a little sideways analogy.)

Did he say it was Paris? I was thinking Florence for some reason?

It wouldn't be fitting for Bruce to die. Once again. Think back to the last movie. He wanted a day when the world no longer needed Batman. His dream was to someday live his own life. His motivation was to save Gotham. Is it that terrible that Nolan felt Bruce should be rewarded with his dream? Bruce wanted Batman to be a symbol of hope. Bane wanted to use hope as a carrot to help crush the spirit. Batman felt hope was something people could use to fight for a better life. Why would he die at the end and not be an emblem of hope being rewarded? Made sense to me. Thematically, every movie was tied to the same thing: The words of Thomas Wayne- Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up. Wouldn't it have spit in the face of that to have him die? I don't think it could have ended any other way. I think you have to take a little well earned leap of faith that Bruce escaped off camera due to some kind of preplanned for something weird happening where he had to escape the Bat lickety-split.

It's fine either way, to me. As I see it, it's okay is Bruce himself dies, so long as he dies at a moment where the legend of Batman can continue, which is what almost happened here. You can have Bruce die even as the Dark Knight rises. A bummer way to go, but it would have worked with me.

I'm trying to imagine Bruce escaping off camera, but that damned last shot of him in the pilot chair makes it tough. If they hadn't included that, I can envision him ejecting a lot sooner and getting out of dodge. But the way it's cut, it makes it seem like he'd have to have ejected within seconds of the bomb going off, and this ain't like escaping a room with a grenade in it.

Oh, and...

God help them all when the nuclear fallout blows back into Gotham City soon after the explosion. :devil:

Maybe they have some kind of futuristic nuclear containment technology for such an occasion by then? :D

Lastly, did they just HAVE to throw in the kid's legal name being Robin? That was just silly; the whole point is him becoming the next Batman, so why get cute and muddy the waters a little like that? Meh. Still loved that otherwise, though.