PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Skaut_Ech
09-14-2011, 12:06 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.77591e6bbe1ccd5c2f79f962f82a47e c.b11&show_article=1

Freidken doesn't like Hollywood's trend towards comic book movies...

As a comic book fan, I don't appreciate his condescension, but I totally agree with his sentiment about moviegoers. It speaks volumes that studios won't make some many of these epic scripts that have been floating around for years in lieu of remaking movies that don't need to be remade cause moviesgoers are a.) too stupid to view the original, or b) so stupid they'll line the studio pockets by letting them churn out remakes by going to see them.

Did we really freaking need to remake Straw Dogs. (UN-freaking-believable) or Point Break? Footloose? The Thing? a Star is Born? Why do people keep letting themselves get raped by these knockoffs?

Friedkin is right, but it's too bad he's made comics books his whipping boy. There are some epic, smart, great stories in comics, but the studios are too gun shy to tell them, going for the lowest common denominator.

Funny thing is, Friedkin hated when Star Wars came out, calling it a great, sucking hole. Kind of ironic that Friedkin slammed comic books movies, cause I've always kinda thought if Friedkin could get over himself, Nolan's Batman would have been something Friedkin would have done, if he tried a "hero" movie.

Constellations
09-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Die Hard 1

I think it's just ridiculous how realistic they made the killings in this movie. All the gunshot wounds and kills look so good ( I'm not a gore freak), I'm just saying.

5/5

Stryder
09-16-2011, 12:46 AM
This is just one of those movies Adam Sandler makes to get his friends paid.

And it probably wont be the worst movie of the year as Real Steel should be taking that title.

Real Steel looks entertaining at least. The Bucky Larson movie is just pathetic. Everytime I see a preview for it with the one guy in particular talking, I want to defecate.

Constellations
09-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Die hard: With A Vengeance

On a kick right now.

Sparhawk
09-17-2011, 06:42 PM
It's Kind Of A Funny Story

Enjoyed this movie quite a bit.

Unclebuck
09-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Saw the Drive today. really a good movie

bellisimo
09-19-2011, 04:59 AM
Johnny English Reborn - certainly had its good moments.

pacer4ever
09-19-2011, 09:52 AM
It's Kind Of A Funny Story

Enjoyed this movie quite a bit.

ya that movies pretty funny.

I cant wait till Friday I have been waiting for Money Ball for a while hopefully it's good.

Stryder
09-19-2011, 05:01 PM
ya that movies pretty funny.

I cant wait till Friday I have been waiting for Money Ball for a while hopefully it's good.

Money ball looks dull.

Constellations
09-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Die Hard 2

ECKrueger
09-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Rubber

I'd be surprised if any one has even heard of it, but I though it was pretty great.

Heisenberg
09-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Saw the Drive today. really a good movie
Driver? Dug it? It's got me interested, the cast is great along with the writing/directing team, but the trailers make it seem completely...average to me. Been hearing from word of mouth it's not the way it's been marketed at all, a lot more sort of existentialist narratives.

Unclebuck
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Driver? Dug it? It's got me interested, the cast is great along with the writing/directing team, but the trailers make it seem completely...average to me. Been hearing from word of mouth it's not the way it's been marketed at all, a lot more sort of existentialist narratives.

it is unique, has a different feel, not a whole lot of dialogue, some very memorable scenes. I wouldn't say it was a great movie, but effective in what it tries to do. I read one critic describe it sort of like the very best episodes of Miami Vice. Yeah, I can see that. Much more violent, but the music is a big part of the movie.

bellisimo
09-22-2011, 04:40 AM
Glengarry Glen Ross - would've liked a better ending...it felt a bit early to just roll to credits for me.

Mourning
09-22-2011, 07:15 AM
We've got "The Basketball Diaries" planned for tonight. I've seen it allready years ago, but my girlfriend hasn't and I couldn't hold this gem back for her.

AesopRockOn
09-23-2011, 04:16 AM
Rubber

I'd be surprised if any one has even heard of it, but I though it was pretty great.

I remember liking it but thinking it was a little too artsy (The audience watching the audience. Meta!) to recommend. I feel like it being on Watch Instantly and being about a tire that explodes peoples heads got it some views at least.

Skaut_Ech
09-23-2011, 09:09 AM
OMG, I just endured Gummo again. The most disturbing, baffling movie I have ever seen. What did I torture myself with that weirdness again. Anyone else seen it? :mygod::yikes::shudder:

billbradley
09-23-2011, 02:01 PM
OMG, I just endured Gummo again. The most disturbing, baffling movie I have ever seen. What did I torture myself with that weirdness again. Anyone else seen it? :mygod::yikes::shudder:

Harmony Korine is my favorite director, try Julien Donkey Boy. I love that movie.

Unclebuck
09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Moneyball looks great to me. Reviews have been excellent.

Skaut_Ech
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Harmony Korine is my favorite director, try Julien Donkey Boy. I love that movie.

Awww,come on. You don't really mean that.:wtf2:

If I hadn't seen Kids, I would have written Korine off as another pretentious autuer wanking off on the screen and expecting us to watch. Thing about some of these "tone poem" type films (Hello, Terrence Malik! Shove Thin Red Line where the sun don't shine) for me is how much was planned and how much is just bulls...uh, crap that means NOTHING, but viewers try to make make meaningful. "Ah, yes, the bacon symbolizes....whatever."

I liked Gummo in the sense that is served as an animated scrapbook of a segment of society, but as a film, can't say I liked or admired it. I have never seen a director get the continued attention that Korine has gotten. For me, he seems to do weird for weird's sake and because no one else is really doing it the way he does, he's cornered the niche and still gets damned with faint praise.

I'll take the inspired intelligence, quirkiness and darkness of a Coen Bros film, or Paul Thomas Anderson, or tangentialy, Todd Solondz, before I try another Harmony film.

Sparhawk
09-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Land of the Lost

I love Will Ferrell, but this movie had just 2 or 3 funny moments. Pretty awful movie.

Constellations
09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Art School Confidential

Good movie.

pacer4ever
09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Land of the Lost

I love Will Ferrell, but this movie had just 2 or 3 funny moments. Pretty awful movie.

Sounds like Everything has to Go. That movie was terrible. He has only been in a few good movies the rest are big duds.

ECKrueger
09-28-2011, 02:08 AM
I remember liking it but thinking it was a little too artsy (The audience watching the audience. Meta!) to recommend. I feel like it being on Watch Instantly and being about a tire that explodes peoples heads got it some views at least.

To me, after the whole "no reason" spiel at the beginning, I just didn't really think about what was happening. I just watched, and I enjoyed it.

I love the end, "He's been reincarnated as a tricycle!" :laugh:

Sounds like Everything has to Go. That movie was terrible. He has only been in a few good movies the rest are big duds.

I did not love that movie. Definitely was not funny, but it did keep me interested throughout.

Skaut_Ech
09-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Rubber

Just added to my Netflix queue!! Just watched the trailer and after seeing you guys discuss it, I must watch! Man, I LOVE originality. I'm really curious to see how they maintain this premise for over an hour. I'm a movie fiend and I had never heard of this one.

BTW, I've been on a journey of watching top films from other countries to see what they consider top films. Just watched Man from Nowhere. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/man_from_nowhere_2010/) (Korean film) Entertaining and darkly stylish. Kinda made me think of The Limey, in a way. I love revenge flicks. lady Vengence and Oldboy are two of my all time favs.

Also just watched The Host. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/host/) Top grossing Korean film of all time and winner of a bunch of awards. Read a little background on the film before you watch it so you can get what the writer was shooting for. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it by any means.

Also watched Monsters. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/) It's not going to blow you away or anything, but it's a pretty enjoyable, quiet take on the monster movie and a subtle spin on border relations in America. It deals more with the human angle (Like Cloverfield), than stock "scary" situations and gore factor. I really liked it.

Constellations
09-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Walk The Line

Great film. 4.5/5

Constellations
09-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Weird question. I haven't seen the film, but, do they use real apes in Rise of the Planet of the Apes? I thought I heard that somewhere.

Hicks
09-28-2011, 05:46 PM
If they do, it's not much because it's usually (perhaps entirely) CGI. Some of the best CGI I've seen yet, I might add, but still CGI.

Pig Nash
09-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Drive

Loved it. See it, don't let anyone tell you anything about it. It's great.

ECKrueger
09-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Thankskilling

RWB
09-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Also just watched The Host. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/host/) Top grossing Korean film of all time and winner of a bunch of awards. Read a little background on the film before you watch it so you can get what the writer was shooting for. I enjoyed it, but didn't love it by any means.

Fun popcorn movie with too much slapstick to be taken seriously if there is a hidden political meaning. Rent this one to show off your HD television. Even the standard definition disc looks great.

Skaut_Ech
09-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Fun popcorn movie with too much slapstick to be taken seriously if there is a hidden political meaning. Rent this one to show off your HD television. Even the standard definition disc looks great.

What's funny is before I knew what was going on, I thought the Dad was a pedophile the way he was acting when his daughter came home. And when they went into that little shed/trailer, I started getting REALLY uncomfortable. Took a minute before I realized that was his daughter.

Yeah, I tried to take into account cultural differences, but I had a problem with the overall tone, too.

Constellations
09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Re- watching the A Nightmare On Elm Street series...starting...now!

Constellations
09-29-2011, 10:45 PM
A Nightmare On Elm Street, and just finished up A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

Constellations
09-30-2011, 07:09 PM
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Stryder
10-01-2011, 12:03 AM
A Nightmare On Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Dokken!

Sparhawk
10-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Watched Super 8.

Craptacular movie. Watched part of Tranformers 3 and seemed much like the first 2 that I hated so much.

Pig Nash
10-03-2011, 05:04 PM
Why didn't you like Super 8?

Constellations
10-04-2011, 03:39 PM
Ghost Ship

I actually really liked it.

Pacersalltheway10
10-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Paranormal Activity 2 -watched it on my iphone and really disturbed me. So I had to watch Scary Movie with Marlon Wayans in it ,afterwards.

Constellations
10-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Just read that "THE BIGGEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME 3D" is in pre-production.... Are you freaking kidding me? Who keeps funding these two jackasses to keep making their garbage films. You know, the same idiots that wrote "Scary Movie", "Epic Movie", "Vampires Suck", "Meet the Spartans", and "Disaster Movie". They are all god awful films. "Scary movie" was decent, yet forgettable. Apparently it's going to use "Avatar" as it's victim...

:suicide4:

Constellations
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Anybody had a change to view 50/50?

jeffg-body
10-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Red Dragon with on demand last night.

Constellations
10-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Red Dragon with on demand last night.

Free movies?

ECKrueger
10-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Bikini Girls on Ice. Eh.

Sparhawk
10-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Why didn't you like Super 8?

I don't mind slow pacing, but it was painfully slow to me. If the pacing is slow, I expect good character development and good dialogue. Didn't feel it had either.

Sparhawk
10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Watched half of Your Highness. It was so awful, I couldn't get through it.

Haven't been picking any winners lately. Netflix movies in my immediate que are Due Date and then Hanna. I have a good feeling about those two.

bellisimo
10-07-2011, 11:12 AM
I was rather disappointed with Hanna. Liked Due Date though.

Hicks
10-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Torn Legacy. Not bad. I probably should have seen Tron first, though.

Constellations
10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Underworld

Amazing movie.

Does anybody know exactly why Kate Beckinsale wasn't in the 3rd installment to the series Underworld: Rise of the Lycans ?

Stryder
10-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Paranormal Activity 2 -watched it on my iphone and really disturbed me. So I had to watch Scary Movie with Marlon Wayans in it ,afterwards.

There's a 3rd one out soon!

jeffg-body
10-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Free movies?

Yeah, bored and nothing to do last night.

Constellations
10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Yeah, bored and nothing to do last night.

Great film.

joeyd
10-08-2011, 01:31 AM

I just saw the first one. Very creepy. If the second and third movies are half as good, I want to see them.

AesopRockOn
10-08-2011, 03:04 AM
Drive - Saw it a while ago so don't remember everything. Baby Goose is adorable and absolutely carries it, girl; and I enjoyed the soundtrack. (My masculinity...is...slipping.) It's very Pulp Fictiony (without the great, or any really, dialogue) in that there is some good slow burn with great cinematography detailing an interesting underground crime world. Not a lot going on with the characters, though the acting is strong, especially a surprising Albert Brooks. Never bored, but never really amped either. A sure step up from Bronson though.

JB24
10-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Red State: I'm not a huge fan Kevin Smith's flicks, but this was a surprisingly solid effort- that he doesn't seem to be able to direct action is about the only big criticism I can throw at this film.

Stryder
10-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Rest Stop

Horrible movie. Had potential for a good slasher/horror movie...not in any way, shape, or form was it a good movie...

Unclebuck
10-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Ides of March

Better than I thought it would be especially after the first 20 minutes or so of the movie. Somewhat cynical. Not really a political movie though, more about the people who are in the "political game"

The acting was really good and the script was pretty smart

I don't see any Oscars for this movie though

Ozwalt72
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Underworld

Amazing movie.

Does anybody know exactly why Kate Beckinsale wasn't in the 3rd installment to the series Underworld: Rise of the Lycans ?

So, I'm scrollin through here lookin for a movie to watch...

It's because it's not the same character. The character, I think, wasn't technically alive at that point.

She was quoted saying "it was always conceived as a trilogy, which I was never going to be in the third one"

from: http://collider.com/kate-beckinsale-talks-underworld-4/6647/

bellisimo
10-10-2011, 04:48 AM
managed to check out Drive over the weekend - I liked the style it was presented in. If this same script was handled by another director I don't think it would've been any memorable at all. This movie definitely relied on the way it told the story...took my friends a bit to get used to it but they too enjoyed it in the end.

RWB
10-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Rest Stop

Horrible movie. Had potential for a good slasher/horror movie...not in any way, shape, or form was it a good movie...

Eh, the finger biting scene was a little uncomfortable. :-o

Constellations
10-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Rest Stop

I thought it was ok. It indeed had good potential to be a good slasher, but failed as it turned into the sci-fi route. Very very disappointing.

Tyrion
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
So, I'm scrollin through here lookin for a movie to watch...

It's because it's not the same character. The character, I think, wasn't technically alive at that point.

She was quoted saying "it was always conceived as a trilogy, which I was never going to be in the third one"

from: http://collider.com/kate-beckinsale-talks-underworld-4/6647/

I think that they are making a fourth and final movie with Kate Beckinsale that is coming out this spring.

Constellations
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I think that they are making a fourth and final movie with Kate Beckinsale that is coming out this spring.

In theaters 1.20.2012

http://i54.tinypic.com/24vm7w8.jpg

pacer4ever
10-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Father of Invention

it was an ok movie Kevin Spacey was good everyone else was meh. I thought it wasnt very practical but it was ok . Spacey and his daughter and her friends were pretty good and had good chemistry in the movie especially her Lesbian friend who mentions she is a Lesbian every 5 minutes it seemed like . Johnny Knoxville wasnt very good in this movie. I loved him in the ringer but in this he was pretty bad. I just wish it would of had a better ending.

also saw real steel it was ok but just want my cup of tea. The fight scenes were great but i don't like Robot boxing I want real boxing lol. and I hate movies that end that way why cant an underdog ever lose?

I will be watching Red State next it looks really good.

the crazy thing about this movies is this thing could totally happen there already is groups who does the stuff portrayed in the movie. (obviously they dont kill but they do protest soldiers funerals and gay peoples funerals)

AesopRockOn
10-11-2011, 03:40 AM
Not to spoil the movie too much, but Red State is much more about what happened in Waco than Fred Phelps. (Just don't want you to expect the wrong thing.) It's a solid effort from a jorts-sporting dude who has been coasting for way too long.

Sparhawk
10-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Due Date.

Had a couple laugh out loud moments. Pretty dull movie.

pacer4ever
10-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Not to spoil the movie too much, but Red State is much more about what happened in Waco than Fred Phelps. (Just don't want you to expect the wrong thing.) It's a solid effort from a jorts-sporting dude who has been coasting for way too long.

I thought it was good for being a low budget movie I like the John Goodman a lot he was great. The shooting scenes were great and really well done.

I just wish it would of had a different ending if you are gonna have the FBI guy tell the truth. Let the two kids live Jarod and Abagail wouldn't have got shot if I was the writer.

ya it was a mixture of Fred Phelps and I guess that Waco thing. I have never heard of what happen at Waco. But I have seen a documentary on Mr. Phelps and the West-bro Baptist Church and that dude is crazy and his colt is crazy.

the documentary is on youtube that i saw here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOrz5k0jWdU

RWB
10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
In the spirit of Halloween pulled out my old copy of Dead Alive. Forgot how much demented fun this movie is..... wayyyyyyyyyyy over the top. Just came out on blu and will be going into my collection at the low price of $10 bucks.

It is one of those movies you're going to absolutely love or if comedy horror is not your thing you will hate. Body count can't be beat especially the lawn mower scene.

jeffg-body
10-12-2011, 11:23 PM
I got "That was then and this is now" at the Alexandria library. Great older movie.

Sookie
10-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Money Ball

Great movie, I really really liked it. And it's funny, because I usually don't like Brad Pitt's movies, I hate baseball, and I disagree completely with their theory on sports and building a team. (All statistics. Although I do think it works a heck of a lot better with baseball than basketball/soccer)

But I really really loved this movie.

AesopRockOn
10-16-2011, 04:35 PM
50/50 - Went in really wanting to like it, but it seems like they initially wanted to make a movie about what a twenty-something goes through during cancer. But after writing the first draft, they were totally insecure about the movie so they decided, instead of building any emotion for this character or showing some interesting family dynamics, they had Seth Rogen be Seth Rogen. Just like Knocked Up was a cliched, half-assed story about unmarried pregnancy with a loud ***hole making inappropriate comments the entire time until becoming an adult when it serves the plot, 50/50 is a cliched, half-assed story about cancer with a loud ***hole making inappropriate comments the entire time until becoming an adult when it serves the plot. A big step down from The Wackness. Most of the people I went with and most of the theater seemed to like it though.

Unclebuck
10-17-2011, 09:01 AM
Money Ball

Great movie, I really really liked it. And it's funny, because I usually don't like Brad Pitt's movies, I hate baseball, and I disagree completely with their theory on sports and building a team. (All statistics. Although I do think it works a heck of a lot better with baseball than basketball/soccer)

But I really really loved this movie.

I saw it too, and I agree with everything in your post. Although maybe I only really liked it as opposed to your really, really loved it.

I don't follow baseball, so I am curious to get more information about what happended to Billy Beane and his theory on building a baseball team.

Hicks
10-17-2011, 03:37 PM
Working my way through Transformers 3. I can see the appeal as a mindless popcorn flick, but I'm only mildly enjoying myself.

Sparhawk
10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I saw it too, and I agree with everything in your post. Although maybe I only really liked it as opposed to your really, really loved it.

I don't follow baseball, so I am curious to get more information about what happended to Billy Beane and his theory on building a baseball team.

If you guys liked it, I'm sure I will. Someone at my office, who doesn't like baseball, said was so boring and that it was mostly a quiet movie with Brad thinking more about stats than anything else.

I still want to see it this weekend.

bellisimo
10-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Paranormal Activity 3 - got "dragged" by a girlfriend...it was 83 minutes of emptiness...

ilive4sports
10-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Paranormal Activity 3 - got "dragged" by a girlfriend...it was 83 minutes of emptiness...

But i thought the ending was supposed to mess you up for life?

Stryder
10-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Did you enjoy the first two?

bellisimo
10-23-2011, 07:51 AM
But i thought the ending was supposed to mess you up for life?

I didn't stay after the credits so I dunno if there was something there that could mess me up for life...but as for what was the regular ending of the movie - there was really nothing scary or anything interesting at all about it. Kept waiting for some sort of a build up but nothing really happened.

Did you enjoy the first two?

I only watched the first one - and skipped out on the second one. The first one was tolerable for me cause with that one they atleast had a bit more going on and was interesting to see how it developed...the ending of that one left a lot to be desired though...thats how I recall...but at least it had some sort of a "thrill" I think. This one was relatively empty for me.

Shade
10-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Captain America: The First Avenger

Glad I waited for this to hit DVD first. It was okay, but not worth plunking down $10+ to see in the theater. The ending felt rushed. Seemed like they were just throwing this flick out there to introduce Cap before the Avengers movie hits next year.

X-Men: First Class, Thor, and Green Lantern were all better, so if you have to see a super hero flick this year, see those other ones first.

7/10

Next up: Transformers 3

Shade
10-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon

Much better than the last one, and my favorite of the three. At times felt like an actual Transformers film rather than the Bayformers, but still had some annoying flaws. Optimus' badassery kept things entertaining.

7.5/10

Sparhawk
10-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Hanna.

Certainly had it's moments. That little girl can freakin act! Too many lull moments for me to really enjoy this movie. Fight sequences were all pretty good. Loved that they didn't have any close shaky hand cam crap where you can't tell what's going on.

Definitely worth a watch, but probably not a second time.

pacer4ever
10-23-2011, 05:12 PM

He owns part of the As and will never win a title until he goes else where. Which he likely wont due because he has partial ownership. The As will likely move in the next few years more people go to Pacer games than As games. His theory is pretty good build a good cheap pitching staff and get hitters with a high OBP and who were cheap but you also have to be able to spend in FA to have a shot a a world series which he has never been able to do. The As traded all there pitching away back in the day because they didn't want to pay them. He will have no shot to win a WS until he goes to a big market or he can spend at least 70m a year with the As (that will never happen) he should of left for Boston back in the day he would have a few WS by now if he did.

Stryder
10-23-2011, 06:30 PM
He owns part of the As and will never win a title until he goes else where. Which he likely wont due because he has partial ownership. The As will likely move in the next few years more people go to Pacer games than As games. His theory is pretty good build a good cheap pitching staff and get hitters with a high OBP and who were cheap but you also have to be able to spend in FA to have a shot a a world series which he has never been able to do. The As traded all there pitching away back in the day because they didn't want to pay them. He will have no shot to win a WS until he goes to a big market or he can spend at least 70m a year with the As (that will never happen) he should of left for Boston back in the day he would have a few WS by now if he did.

So basically the theory falls apart in the end?

Stryder
10-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Captain America: The First Avenger

Glad I waited for this to hit DVD first. It was okay, but not worth plunking down $10+ to see in the theater. The ending felt rushed. Seemed like they were just throwing this flick out there to introduce Cap before the Avengers movie hits next year.

X-Men: First Class, Thor, and Green Lantern were all better, so if you have to see a super hero flick this year, see those other ones first.

7/10

Next up: Transformers 3

You liked Green Lantern?

joeyd
10-23-2011, 10:25 PM

In contrast, I thought it was as good as the first one, which I enjoyed immensely watching by myself one night.

And the guy sitting in front of me was pretty messed up. He was practically on his girlfriends lap (in an embarrassing way---he got scared and jumped several times). The crowd itself let out several gasps; not all of the thrills were cheap. And I loved the timing and the buildup that made the first movie great. Amazing how absolutely nothing can go on for several minutes, yet you have this buildup of tension/apprehension.

KingGeorge
10-23-2011, 10:46 PM
The Lookout - Very good movie

kester99
10-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Drive

Albert Brooks does some nice work in this movie. He is not the movie's focus, however. Ryan Gosling is.

Ryan Gosling portrays no emotion throughout the entire film. There's a scene where the camera is on his face for about a minute, and I think we're supposed to be wondering if he's dead or alive....the thing is, they could have picked about any scene in the movie and held a close-up on him, and the effect would have been the same.

The point of the movie may have been that there's no point to this movie...or life...or that your good intentions won't amount to anything...or something.

Too hip for me.

....and the synth-pop soundtrack! I was listening to the lyrics trying to get clues as to what we were supposed to be thinking Gosling's state of mind was. Were there supposed to be clues in it? I felt like I had to listen closely, so as to try to understand what the director was attempting to portray, and yet, normally, I wouldn't give that music a minute's worth of listen.

Phooey.

pacer4ever
10-24-2011, 03:50 AM
Drive

Albert Brooks does some nice work in this movie. He is not the movie's focus, however. Ryan Gosling is.

Ryan Gosling portrays no emotion throughout the entire film. There's a scene where the camera is on his face for about a minute, and I think we're supposed to be wondering if he's dead or alive....the thing is, they could have picked about any scene in the movie and held a close-up on him, and the effect would have been the same.

The point of the movie may have been that there's no point to this movie...or life...or that your good intentions won't amount to anything...or something.

Too hip for me.

....and the synth-pop soundtrack! I was listening to the lyrics trying to get clues as to what we were supposed to be thinking Gosling's state of mind was. Were there supposed to be clues in it? I felt like I had to listen closely, so as to try to understand what the director was attempting to portray, and yet, normally, I wouldn't give that music a minute's worth of listen.

Phooey.

I had to watch that movie just to see Ralph Lawler. Me o MY!

Skaut_Ech
10-24-2011, 09:03 AM
The Lookout - Very good movie

Really good movie. I'll watch just about anything with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. If you get a chance, check out Brick.

Pig Nash
10-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Seconded on Brick, it may be my favorite movie of the Aughts.

Unclebuck
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
I thought Brick was OK, but I loved The Lookout. JGL is always excellent though

Constellations
10-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Paranormal Activity 3.
---------------------------

You're absolutely lying to everyone and yourself if you say this movie doesn't put some fear in you.

I'm not a fan of this type of genre, but it wasn't that horrible of a movie. I think they stretched the story line a bit into the ridiculousness folder, but creepy none the less.

Are there certain shots that appear in each movie that puts everyone in an uncomfortable position to watch (The night scenes of silence).

There are certain scenes and images that stayed with me later that night, which is why I've came to the conclusion that it wasn't that bad. If it was, I wouldn't be typing this much into.

Final: Worth the money watching, once.

Rating
3/5

bellisimo
10-25-2011, 07:00 AM
Paranormal Activity 3.
---------------------------

You're absolutely lying to everyone and yourself if you say this movie doesn't put some fear in you.

I'm not a fan of this type of genre, but it wasn't that horrible of a movie. I think they stretched the story line a bit into the ridiculousness folder, but creepy none the less.

Are there certain shots that appear in each movie that puts everyone in an uncomfortable position to watch (The night scenes of silence).

There are certain scenes and images that stayed with me later that night, which is why I've came to the conclusion that it wasn't that bad. If it was, I wouldn't be typing this much into.

Final: Worth the money watching, once.

Rating
3/5

I can honestly say this movie did nothing to me. The first one was a bit creepy - I was expecting similar results but this one felt flat. Everything it was doing felt way too predictable...maybe I just didnt go into it with a "let me get creeped out" mentality...

Constellations
10-25-2011, 03:34 PM
I can honestly say this movie did nothing to me. The first one was a bit creepy - I was expecting similar results but this one felt flat. Everything it was doing felt way too predictable...maybe I just didnt go into it with a "let me get creeped out" mentality...

I find it hard for anybody not to have felt any sort of uncomfortable feeling in this movie. I live off of horror movies, so I know every predictable outcome, which this film was. But it still made me feel a little uncomfortable at times. The only part that legitimatley creeped me out, was when SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER!!! the entity picked up the older sister by her hair. Other than that, the film was a swing and a miss.

joeyd
10-26-2011, 12:13 AM

I didn't think the ending was predictable at all. Being a prequel, we knew the sisters survived, but in the previous two, we were led to believe that their house burned down. This ending was creepy to me, especially having seen The Last Exorcism. Now, a predictable ending to me would have made a seamless transition to the first two films. So in that respect, I do have a little empty feeling. In retrospect I'd agree with 3/5 stars, but creepy stars.

Lord Helmet
10-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Crazy, Stupid, Love.

I loved it.

Shade
10-26-2011, 05:31 PM
You liked Green Lantern?

It was okay. Entertaining and seemed to remain true to the subject matter.

TBH, I don't see why people seem to dislike it so much.

Sparhawk
10-27-2011, 07:53 PM
It was okay. Entertaining and seemed to remain true to the subject matter.

TBH, I don't see why people seem to dislike it so much.

I liked the origin story, but the main enemy was freaking retarded. A cloud? Really, how the hell does 1 guy turn into a cloud, it just didn't make sense.

If I was a green lantern, I would have just made some large vacuums and sucked him it. It was lame and struck too close to the shitfest that was FF2.

Unclebuck
10-28-2011, 10:40 PM
50/50 - Went in really wanting to like it, but it seems like they initially wanted to make a movie about what a twenty-something goes through during cancer. But after writing the first draft, they were totally insecure about the movie so they decided, instead of building any emotion for this character or showing some interesting family dynamics, they had Seth Rogen be Seth Rogen. Just like Knocked Up was a cliched, half-assed story about unmarried pregnancy with a loud ***hole making inappropriate comments the entire time until becoming an adult when it serves the plot, 50/50 is a cliched, half-assed story about cancer with a loud ***hole making inappropriate comments the entire time until becoming an adult when it serves the plot. A big step down from The Wackness. Most of the people I went with and most of the theater seemed to like it though.

I disagree with you 100%. while I wouldn't say it was a great movie, I thought it was extremely effective and for the last 35 minutes or so it was very emotional for me to watch.

I really liked the movie, it came together very effectively in the end and was to me surprisingly emotional.

I also saw Margin Call. Kevin Spacey was great and there were several scenes that were just a kick to watch. The acting across the board was as good as you'll see all year. On the down side though the movie didn't seem like a movie in that it wasn't fully realized. It was more of a case study. The writing needed to be a little sharper, and the final act needed a little more punch.

Sparhawk
10-28-2011, 11:06 PM
Captain America.

I really liked it.

bellisimo
10-29-2011, 08:32 AM
finally got around to watching Captain America
I still don't care for him - his powers and specialty doesn't really make me think of him as a super hero.

Gamble1
10-29-2011, 10:58 AM
finally got around to watching Captain America
I still don't care for him - his powers and specialty doesn't really make me think of him as a super hero.
Maybe he should have no powers and wear an iron suit or just have a black cap and belt around his waist!!

Hicks
10-29-2011, 11:21 AM
Cap's first super power is his rare heart/character.

bellisimo
10-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Maybe he should have no powers and wear an iron suit or just have a black cap and belt around his waist!!

sounds good to me =)

AesopRockOn
10-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Cap's first super power is his rare heart/character.

I think, technically, Tony Stark has a rare heart as well.

Shade
10-31-2011, 08:53 PM
Insidious

Kind of like Poltergeist, except bad.

5/10

spreedom
11-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Halloween (1978) and Halloween II (1980) back-to-back. Realized a couple of things that I didn't know (or at least it wasn't this obvious):

The first one is WAY better than the second one.
Donald Pleasence is a stone-cold badass in these movies.

travmil
11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
Phineas and Ferb: Across the 2nd Dimension.

I don't know what it is about this show but I can watch it with my 5 year old for hours and the movie is no exception.

Steagles
11-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Paranormal Activity 3.
Bad acting, plot holes, cheesy lines all tied together with the megahype that never panned out all ended in a wasted time feeling. As for the last 15 minutes, it absolutely DOES NOT mess you up for life.
All that takes place in the last 15 minutes is a little girl looks at the camera in the middle of the night, talks to nothing, stands like an idiot for 3 hours, and pleads with the entity to let the door trapping the sister in a closet thing to let her go. She agrees with whatever the entity says (not revealed) and proceeds to beg to go the grandma's house instead of staying. They do, and all is fine until the middle of the night. The step dad gets up and takes a camera to look for his wife, and finds the house empty. He goes to the grandma's dining room to find it filled with satanic cult paraphernalia. He opens up the door and yells outside, and then slams it shut in a panic as a bunch of possessed old women walk like zombies toward him. He turns to see one of the young girls in a fetal position by a staircase, facing away from him. He touches her shoulder, and she throws him back 7-8 feet, and the camera lands showing him and the little girl. The grandma proceeds to come down the stairs, stare angrily at the guy (who is face down) and then the dude starts to float in the air, and then his limbs bend backwards (upward from the position he was in) and his back snaps. The grandma takes the girl's hand and they go up the stairs, and it ends.

All in all, I give this a 1/5 *, and this movie is only worth seeing in a theater if you are a hardcore horror movie addict or a megafan of the "Paranormal Activity" series. By far, this is the weakest link of a series that is being wrung out for all of its worth, and I think the towel being wrung was dry by the end of the 2nd film.

Sparhawk
11-01-2011, 09:09 PM
Puss 'n Boots.

Really enjoyed this. I can see that this might have actually of been good in 3D.

Shade
11-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Harold and Kumar 3

Wow...crazy. Very over-the-top. Still had some good scenes, but not on par with the first two. Too many recycled plot points.

7/10

ilive4sports
11-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Harold and Kumar 3

Wow...crazy. Very over-the-top. Still had some good scenes, but not on par with the first two. Too many recycled plot points.

7/10

A 7/10? Much better than I anticipated. I really like the first two and from the commercials I expected it to be a huge let down. I will have to check this out.

Shade
11-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Like I said, it's not on par with the first two, but there were enough parts that made me laugh to justify the watch.

They really wanted to make it a point that the film was in 3D, as well, with the way it was shot. Makes me wonder what they'll do for the home 2D release.

Shade
11-05-2011, 11:38 PM
The Other Guys

Not bad, got a few good laughs out of it.

7/10

jeffg-body
11-07-2011, 10:28 PM
Quarantine- Sawit on the free on demand list. I only got to watch 1/2 of it because my daughter woke up and she doesn't do well with zombie movies. I plan to watch it tonight.

travmil
11-13-2011, 11:14 AM
The Ides of March

My wife and I finally got around to seeing this. I don't really want to believe that our political process works like this but it probably does. It's a pretty good movie, TONS of star power. There are a pretty staggering 7 actors in this movie with either an Oscar win or nomination. I'm not sure any acting Oscars are going to come this film's way but I bet you at least see a nomination for best adapted screenplay. I think best director would be a very longshot.

We saw it at Keystone Arts and I we saw previews for The Iron Lady and The Descendants and I'd like to see both of those when they come out.

pacer4ever
11-14-2011, 03:04 AM
Finally saw Moneyball I couldn't help but think that I bet Larry Bird's and JOB's relationship went about like Billy Beanes and the As manager.

Larry "play Tyler

JOB "NO Troy Murphy is my PF

Larry " play the young guys

JOB "NO

that is pretty much the dialogue Billy was having about his team.

Trading Carlos Pena was insane they should of just sent him down. But he did struggle until he reached TB it turned out to be a good trade for Oakland Weaver was pretty good in his time there.

I really didn't like how much they Hollywooded the movie. Billie Beane watched games that is BS saying he didn't watch games.

bellisimo
11-14-2011, 04:19 AM
The Thing - I really liked it - sure the alien/monster forms were a bit too weird but it was always the case with this...hence the name "thing"....felt like it was a good prequel to the original and well done.

Midnight in Paris - if you can't afford to get to Paris, this movie does a good job of taking you there. It was a lot different than what I expected it to be and had some quirky Woody Allen moments in it but overall I think it could've been so much more.

Peck
11-14-2011, 04:35 AM
Immortals: Meh, I saw a review that called this 300 lite & I think that is pretty much accurate. Nice graphics, wonderful fight scenes but at the end of the day very forgetable. Think of it like cotten candy. Looks great, tastes good but at the end of the day it is just sugar and air.

AesopRockOn
11-15-2011, 02:23 AM
Melancholia - Lars Von Trier's new movie. It's beautifully shot, technically engaging in most respects; looks great for $7 million. It's a huge step up from Antichrist. That said, if he doesn't have an elaborate story (as in the case of Dogville) it becomes a slow meditation on themes without exploration into the characters. The broad brush strokes of montage and super DP work don't actually add up to anything, so I don't feel the movie accomplishes anything other than putting ideas (as well as Kirsten Dunst's breasts) out there. Part of the magic of movies is that you don't have to work within the confines of a 48 x 36 canvas. Part of the reason I'm so hesitant to check out Tree of Life. Recommended if you're the artsy type.

Midnight in Paris was wonderful, the movie version of a Big Band swing tune. ****ing Hemingway!

vnzla81
11-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Immortals: Meh, I saw a review that called this 300 lite & I think that is pretty much accurate. Nice graphics, wonderful fight scenes but at the end of the day very forgetable. Think of it like cotten candy. Looks great, tastes good but at the end of the day it is just sugar and air.

Yeah I didn't like Immortals either, the main character is not even a good actor and doesn't look tough enough, this movie was not even close to 300(one of the best movies of all time ;)) for those that haven't seen it, don't waste your money and just wait to rent the dvd.

Stryder
11-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah I didn't like Immortals either, the main character is not even a good actor and doesn't look tough enough, this movie was not even close to 300(one of the best movies of all time ;)) for those that haven't seen it, don't waste your money and just wait to rent the dvd.

You don't like Henry Cavill (played Theseus). He's playing Clark Kent/Supes in the new Superman movie that is filming. Got pretty big for that.

Unclebuck
11-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Tower Heist - wow that was bad. Nothing was funny - I didn't laugh once, and the audience I was in the theater with didn't laugh much either. Nothing good about it

Sparhawk
11-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Cars 2

At least halfway through. I was really liking it. We'll see if the whole thing can continue being good.

Still want an Incredibles 2.

TheDon
11-21-2011, 04:46 PM
As far as Paranormal Activity series goes I really don't like the whole "faux documentary" style. That is played out it was alright when blair witch project did it because nobody had done that before and a lot of people actually believed it was real.

The thing that sucks is that these types of movies are all low budget so they don't need much success for them to make a profit and it's even worse when they start making multiple sequals to the movie because then just like the Saw movies people will go see it just cause "well I saw the first one might as well see the next one." whether they hated the last one or not.

Unclebuck
11-25-2011, 11:50 PM
The Descendants - with George Clooney, written and directed by the guy who did Sideways several years ago.

I loved this movie, real humor, real emotion, real characters. One of the best movies this year.

MagicRat
11-26-2011, 12:15 AM
The Muppets. Awesome.

jeffg-body
12-02-2011, 05:38 AM
Apolcalypse Now-

bellisimo
12-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Green Lantern - wow that was....bad.

Bball
12-02-2011, 03:21 PM
"The Book of Eli"
I finally got around to watching it.... The twist at the end left me 'meh'....

I was OK with the thought that the Bible was blank... or even that it was in Braille... But that Eli had been blind all along was just too much of a stretch. Looking back, yeah there were clues. But c'mon.... There were just as many clues that he wasn't blind. The clues that he was were just writing tricks so they could point back and say "See? He was blind all along and you guys just missed it".

But the fighting... the gun play... the talking to people and looking directly at them... walking thru doors and inside buildings and shops??? How did he know the one store where he got his battery recharged was a 'store' at all??? How did he walk into the bar, walk directly to the bar, and put his bag up on the bar? No groping around... No walking into tables...

When he was on the ledge and 'looking' down at what was going on below with the motorcycle gang and the man and woman... How did he know he was hidden at all and why did he 'look' down at them?? Wouldn't he just want to stay down and listen for them to leave and hope that he was hidden? It's not like sticking his head up was going to do him any good if he couldn't peek and see what was happening.

If we want to go with the angle that he was able to do all this because of God... well then the little writing tricks seem kind of pointless. Why would there need to be any tricks to tell us he was blind all along... Why not just answer the question of how he was able to do what he did at some point in the movie- "I'm blind but God has granted me the ability to see without sight"

I guess that was supposed to be the takeaway but I didn't like how they got there...

It's not like you can rewind the movie and realize that in every scene he could be blind in it. Instead they had him for the most part acting like a sighted person and just threw in a few ambiguous scenes and abilities that in retrospect could be interpreted to show he was blind.

Meh....

Stryder
12-02-2011, 11:54 PM
I didn't know that Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace is coming out in 3D on February 12, 2012.

SoupIsGood
12-03-2011, 12:04 AM
our idiot brother - liked it

Unclebuck
12-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Anyone else see Midnight in Paris?

I am not sure what to think of this movie. Perhaps a typically Woody Allen movie. It was really good in a way and really not so good in a way. if you just stay in the moment and enjoy the dialogue and what is on the screen, it is really, really good. If you try to pause for a second and think about the plot and what is really being presented in the movie you are likely to not enjoy it. But then I am not one to like movies that try to provide an alternative universe.

it was different though, that is for sure.

bellisimo
12-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Anyone else see Midnight in Paris?

I am not sure what to think of this movie. Perhaps a typically Woody Allen movie. It was really good in a way and really not so good in a way. if you just stay in the moment and enjoy the dialogue and what is on the screen, it is really, really good. If you try to pause for a second and think about the plot and what is really being presented in the movie you are likely to not enjoy it. But then I am not one to like movies that try to provide an alternative universe.

it was different though, that is for sure.

yea I thought it tried to be too cute - in some aspects it was but in others it felt a bit forced...

Bball
12-06-2011, 10:08 PM
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes"
I expected not to like it but I liked it a lot. I liked how they threw in a few things that seem to imply they are following or not entirely neglecting the outline of the original PotAs storylines... maybe glimpses of where the sequel could go.... or at least nuggets for anyone who remembered the old series. I liked how they gave the reboot a little bit more of a plausible beginning than the original movies actually did.

While the movie stands alone I think you probably need to have watched or at least know about the original movies to really enjoy this one just because of the way it interweaves things about the original into it. But that's something there's no way to know for me since I have seen the originals and remember them fairly well. OTOH... It's best to forget the Tim Burton Planet of the Apes movie because it wasn't very good and really didn't reboot the series or work as a modern adaptation of the original either.

I don't think the previews did a very good job of actually hyping the movie. The previews seemed to have missed 'something' that the movie has in the way it draws you in.

I liked this one and I'm not just monkeying around about it....

ilive4sports
12-07-2011, 02:43 AM
I didn't know that Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace is coming out in 3D on February 12, 2012.

what will be different on this version?

Unclebuck
12-12-2011, 09:07 AM
I think overall this has not ben a good year at all for movies. This seems like a weak list of the best movies of the year.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/afi-movies-and-tv-shows-of-the-year/

AFI MOVIES OF THE YEAR
Bridesmaids
The Descendants
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Help
Hugo
J. Edgar
Midnight In Paris
Moneyball
The Tree Of Life
War Horse

LA Film critics pick for best movies of the year
http://www.deadline.com/2011/12/la-film-critics-christopher-plummer-jessica-chastain-take-supporting-prizestor/

BEST PICTURE, Winner: “The Descendants.”
Runner-Up: “The Tree of Life.”

BEST ANIMATION, Winner: “Rango.”
Runner-Up: “The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn.”

BEST DIRECTOR, Winner: Terrence Malick, “The Tree of Life.”
Runner-Up: Martin Scorsese, “Hugo.”

BEST ACTOR, Winner: Michael Fassbender, “A Dangerous Method,” “Jane Eyre,” “Shame,” “X-Men: First Class.”
Runner-Up: Michael Shannon, “Take Shelter.”

BEST ACTRESS, Winner: Yun Jung-hee, “Poetry.”
Runner-Up: Kirsten Dunst, “Melancholia.”

Sparhawk
12-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Red boxed "Bridesmaids"

Really, other than the very funny dress fitting scene, the movie wasn't that funny.

They drug out jokes for far too long, example when the maid of honor and the new friend kept taking the microphone to one up each other to say nice things about the bride. Very funny at first, and then it just went on and on and on.

Unclebuck
12-17-2011, 09:27 PM
The new Mission Impossible is really really good. That is how you make an action movie. The scenes right before the big action sequences were really good. Worth seeing in IMAX as a lot of the scenes were actually shot in Imax

Sparhawk
12-17-2011, 09:37 PM
Tron 2.

Never dug the first movie. Thoroughly enjoyed the second. Wish they would have had more games. I think they left the door open for a 3rd, and I hope they make one.

Suaveness
12-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Really enjoyed Sherlock 2. RDJr and Jude Law are fantastic together.

Hicks
12-18-2011, 02:53 PM
Mission Impossible 4 IMAX. Primarily went to see the Dark Knight Rises prologue (which was pretty cool), but I expected the movie to be good and I was not disappointed. A well done spy/action flick.

AesopRockOn
12-19-2011, 04:14 AM
Moneyball & Warrior - Double review because both of these movies had much/some promise but disintegrate because of their Hollywood-ness. Moneyball is like a disappointing combination of The Blind Side and The Social Network, completely uprooting the actual story to focus on the themes within while trying to take a human approach to the story. But it's so contrived from Beane constantly spitting in a cup to his daughter singing a song from an Old Navy commercial that it demonstrates why the specific subject matter is not proper for a fictional narrative. Warrior suffers similarly but mostly because the people involved (save the great acting of Hardy, Edgerton, and Nolte) don't know how to make an innovative, compelling underdog sports movie a la The Fighter. The movie is just a mountain of cliches by the end, not in a laughably fun way like Battle: Los Angeles but in a laughably predictable way simply intended to please mass audiences. One movie mistakes quirks and cliches for nuance while the other does not retain the word in its vocabulary. A pretty ****** year for movies indeed.

Unclebuck
12-19-2011, 09:56 AM
The more I think about Mission Imposible, the more I like it, it is really good. Has to be one of my alltime favorite action movies. I won't suggest it is a deep movie because it isn't, nor will I say the characters are mememorable, because they aren't, but I did think each of the 4 main characters were perfect for this type of movie.

There were so many memorable action scenes in very, very unique places/set pieces. Were many way over-the-top - sure, but all were exciting

I like a good plot as much as anyone, and this one isn't all that good, but it holds together well enough to keep the action moving forward. But I'm sure many will see this movie and pick the plot apart, which IMO is a waste of time.

I tend not to like "action movies" but I loved this one.

so did 95% of the critics
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mission_impossible_ghost_protocol/

Sparhawk
12-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Mission Impossible 4 IMAX. Primarily went to see the Dark Knight Rises prologue (which was pretty cool), but I expected the movie to be good and I was not disappointed. A well done spy/action flick.

I won't be seeing the prologue. Unless it's going to come out some other way (internet), then could you provide a spoiler about what happened? Thanks!

Hicks
12-19-2011, 12:50 PM
I'll give it a go. Obviously to all reading don't click if you don't want to know about the beginning of Dark Knight Rises:

We begin with the voice of Commissioner Gordon. "I knew Harvey Dent. I was his friend."

We then see it's Jim speaking at a ceremony (eulogy?) for Harvey Dent, with a picture of Dent to the right on the screen.

"And it will be a very long time before someone inspires us the way he did. I believed in Harvey Dent..." he then steps away from his podium and sits down on the stage next to someone else.

We then cut to a jeep driving at a fast clip through a grassy field.

Multiple men are inside, including a few figures in the back seat who are wearing black hoods over their heads (they are prisoners).

The jeep arrives to meet other men standing beside an airplane, including a CIA operative of some kind.

The CIA guy wasn't expecting prisoners, but after an exchange of dialogue I don't recall very well, he agrees to take them on board.

Actually, one thing I do remember about this is the man who brought the prisoners to the CIA guy says they worked for 'the masked man', to which the CIA guy asks, 'Bane?'

We cut to the plane flying along, and the CIA guy opens the hatch/door on the side of the plane, dragging one of the three hooded men to the opening, pulling out his gun, and trying to get him to talk. He does not.

He then shoots a round near the head of the prisoner (not hitting him) to try to make the other two think that he killed him.

"He didn't fly so well. How do you think you'll do?" Something to that effect is what he says to them next.

He says to the 2nd one, who also says nothing, "You're pretty loyal for a hired gun" (or something to that effect). He then asks him a question that I don't recall, and that is when the 3rd one says something like, "He's probably wondering why you would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane". The voice sounds strange. An odd accent with a slightly mechanical sound to it.

The CIA man cautiously approaches this 3rd prisoner, then lifts up the black hood, revealing this man to be Bane.

"If I take that mask off, will you die?"

Bane, "It would be incredibly painful..."

"You're a big guy!"

Bane, "... for you."

The CIA guy then says something like "Congratulations, you got yourself caught. What's next in your master plan?" trying to mock him.

Bane, "Crashing this plane. With no survivors."

Cut outside to a BIG second plane (the kind you would expect the military to haul large ground vehicles in) descending from high above our plane, with a handful of men dropping out of it while still attached via cables.

These men attach small explosive devices towards the tail end of the smaller plane, then move towards the windows, machine guns drawn, and they open fire on the inside, killing most on board.

As that happens, Bane effortlessly breaks out of the handcuffs that were keeping his arms behind his back and decks the CIA guy, either knocking him out or killing him (not clear).

I neglected to mention before that the other key passenger brought on board was a Dr. so-and-so who we are lead to believe may have something significant he has been working on that both sides would be interested in acquiring.

The small explosives detonate, ripping off the tail of the plane, and the rest of the plane has actually been harnessed to the much larger plane, so it starts to point down at the ground but the bigger plane keeps it suspended for the moment.

Bane catches himself with both arms on two seats while others fall towards the front of the plane or get stuck between rows of seats.

He and some of his men handle the Dr. while others unzip a nearby bag containing a corpse. They appear to then use a needle and tubing to draw blood from the Dr. that feeds into the corpse in the body bag. I guess the idea is they want people to think the Doc died in the crash so no one will go looking for him.

After they do that, Bane gets a good hold of him while the other men start to exit back up to the bigger plane.

One of the three original prisoners is the last to go, when Bane stops him with a touch on the shoulder. "They expect one of us in the wreckage, brother."

The prisoner is oddly unphased by this (relatively-speaking), and then asks, "Did we start the fire?"

Bane, "The fire rises."

Bane and the others ascend out of the top/back of the plane as it is detached from the cables keeping it suspended. The plane then hurdles towards the ground, and we leave with a shot of Bane holding onto the Dr. in the middle of the air, being dragged from behind by a single cable as they start to get pulled into the open back of the large plane.

As a matter of fact that plane and this shot of them mirrors the plane and the shot we have in The Dark Knight where Batman is taking Lao from the Hong Kong skyscrapper by way of the 'sky hook' Mr. Fox set him up with. Similar sized plane, and a similar look with the two of them dangling from the wire.

This ends the opening scene, but we then get a brief cut of images from the rest of the movie (maybe 20 seconds), including Bane standing tall like a pimp in a winter coat somewhere in Gotham), Batman aiming some high-tech looking gun at someone off screen, Catwoman in her mask, Bane clicking a detonator, some other shots I don't recall as well, a brief glimpse of the flying machine Batman is going to trot out for this film as it chases a ground vehicle in the streets, a shot of two big crowds of people rushing one another in what would appear to be a BIG fight between the two parties, Batman and Bane squaring off on the steps outside of a building, and my favorite, the last shot: Bane, holding the broken, partial mask/helmet of Batman, before casually tossing it to the ground.

It implies something very bad is going to happen to Batman in this film.

That about does it.

cramerica
12-19-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm sure this one has been talked about but I saw the Adjustment Bureau last night and it was an excellent film. Still has me questioning the plot and thinking about why they did this or that, but overall I liked it quite a bit.

neosmndrew
12-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Saw friends with benefits. Wish I hadn't Was not funny. Do not recommend.

I'm going to see all three LotR Extended Edition movies back-to-back-to-back Thursday. Wish me luck, boys.

cramerica
12-19-2011, 03:38 PM
The Descendants - with George Clooney, written and directed by the guy who did Sideways several years ago.

I loved this movie, real humor, real emotion, real characters. One of the best movies this year.

Took me a while to warm up to this one but I did and it ended up being great. When you say "real" for your descriptions of this movie...you are spot on. This movie just seemed like it wasn't even acting, almost like it was just people being people.

The swimming pool scene with the older daughter was by far my favorite.

Great movie and if it wins best picture, it deserves it.

SoupIsGood
12-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Wow that was a great writeup Hicks.

Saw the new Sherlock Holmes. Really did not like it at all, and thought the first was pretty fun.

Really want to see mission impossible. Brad Bird!

Sparhawk
12-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Saw friends with benefits. Wish I hadn't Was not funny. Do not recommend.

I'm going to see all three LotR Extended Edition movies back-to-back-to-back Thursday. Wish me luck, boys.

That's one of my Christmas presents. Will do the same over my short Christmas break.

Suaveness
12-22-2011, 07:19 PM
The Adventures of Tintin. Not well known by people in the states, but I grew up on Tintin. I was so pleased when Spielberg and Peter Jackson were going to do this series, and I was not disappointed. Fun, fun movie. Very Indiana Jones-esque.

vnzla81
12-24-2011, 02:34 AM
Mission impossible was great, is non stop action for two straight hours.

Sparhawk
12-24-2011, 08:58 AM
I am number 4

Wasn't expecting much, but I liked the movie. I wonder if it did well enough to warrant a sequel.

Shade
12-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Take Me Home Tonight

The epitome of average. Kinda weird seeing Demetri Martin cussing, though.

5/10

Sparhawk
12-26-2011, 12:47 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm thinking of buying Lord of the Rings Extended Ed on Blu Ray for $50 on Amazon. Does anyone think that's a good deal or should I try waiting a few months for a price drop? I'm seeing deals online, but at the stores they are selling for $99.99.

and seeing Demitri Martin cuss would be weird. Funny guy.

Pig Nash
12-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I bought it. I don't think it'll be much less than that. The extended DVDs when they came out were 30-40 each.

Sparhawk
12-26-2011, 01:07 PM
I bought it. I don't think it'll be much less than that. The extended DVDs when they came out were 30-40 each.

Went ahead and bought them.

Hicks
12-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I'm thinking of buying Lord of the Rings Extended Ed on Blu Ray for $50 on Amazon. Does anyone think that's a good deal or should I try waiting a few months for a price drop? I'm seeing deals online, but at the stores they are selling for $99.99.

and seeing Demitri Martin cuss would be weird. Funny guy.

I got it when it dropped to $50 on Amazon, and I think it was a good deal.

Suaveness
12-26-2011, 01:25 PM
Buy it. It was around 80 or so before thanksgiving, and it dropped to 50. Now's the time to buy it.

AesopRockOn
12-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Contagion - A really solid effort at a disaster movie that works much better in looking at the clinical details and the specific moments of societal disintegration/anarchy than it does trying to show the human side of things. Even effective setups like Law's blogger and Cotilliard's WHO worker end up feeling forced and out of place. The actors are good, but the writing just isn't strong enough. Think of Traffic for disease/disaster movies but with much less of an impressive ensemble of characters. Recommended.

timmanis2000
12-30-2011, 12:04 AM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Pretty good movie. A little hard to follow at first.

Sparhawk
12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Just got LOTR extended edition on blu ray. Gonna spend 1/1/2012 watching the films with my wife (who hasn't seen them yet!).

Downloading the digital copies now. I have to do it immediately or forget and have them expire. Expiring digital copies is *****ing retarded.

Unclebuck
12-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Sherlock Holmes, actually thought it was a little better than the first one. Neither are anything but average IMO.

SoupIsGood
12-30-2011, 10:53 PM
30 minutes or less. bleh.

i was impressed by rise of the planet of the apes. wasn't expecting it to be good at all.

SycamoreKen
12-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Kung Fu Panda 2.

Very enjoyable and fun. I'm really loving, as is my wife, our new HD tv.

Hicks
12-31-2011, 01:40 AM
I'm hoping to see Girl wt Dragon Tatoo in the coming days.

hoosierguy
12-31-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm hoping to see Girl wt Dragon Tatoo in the coming days.

It is a very good movie. Rooney Mara should win the Oscar.

cramerica
12-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Saw "Warrior" and I'm not a MMA/UFC fan at all but this movie was amazing. Very well done by everybody, including Nick Nolte as the dad. If you haven't seen this movie, watch it. You will not be disappointed.

cramerica
12-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is another very good movie. I didn't read the books and knew nothing about the story but I thought it was an well done. A little long but overall a good movie. And yes, that girl is badass.

gummy
01-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Ha, looks like my last movies are pretty popular right now. I just finished up all three LotR Extended Edition movies last week. I hadn't seen the extended editions before.

Sparhawk
01-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Ha, looks like my last movies are pretty popular right now. I just finished up all three LotR Extended Edition movies last week. I hadn't seen the extended editions before.

Planned on watching them with my wife who hasn't seen them, but 40 minutes in she says she so bored. :( I tried to tell her it starts off slow, but she doesn't want to watch.

I haz a sad.

Still plan on watching them solo.

kester99
01-01-2012, 06:17 PM
All 3 Larsson books have been made into movies. Theyre in Swedish, with Eng. subtitles, and they're really good.

This is the IMDB link to the first Girl w/the Dragon Tattoo:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1132620/

I haven't seen this US version yet, but I will.

And yes, the books rock.

gummy
01-01-2012, 10:57 PM
Planned on watching them with my wife who hasn't seen them, but 40 minutes in she says she so bored. :( I tried to tell her it starts off slow, but she doesn't want to watch.

I haz a sad.

Still plan on watching them solo.

Ack! Bummer. :(

My wife loves the movies as much as I do. :happydanc

Hicks
01-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Saw "Warrior" and I'm not a MMA/UFC fan at all but this movie was amazing. Very well done by everybody, including Nick Nolte as the dad. If you haven't seen this movie, watch it. You will not be disappointed.

Agreed. I just finished watching it a minute ago.

Kegboy
01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
The Muppets

It was fine, but not quite as good as I was expecting. As my sister-in-law said, it would have been better if it were more of the show itself.

AesopRockOn
01-03-2012, 04:05 AM
The Descendants - There's so much that's good about the movie especially the acting to love about it, but I didn't enjoy it. The main problem is that I didn't expect it to be Terms of Endearment (in Hawaii). That edge that Payne exhibits so wonderfully in Citizen Ruth and Election (perhaps the most underrated movie of the 1990's) just doesn't exist here. The movie is a very well executed sap story with four endings (not like Clue, but like Lord of the Rings). Some good family dynamics but too much overall that felt awkward, out of place, and out of Payne's wheelhouse. The dumbass whoa kid who goes from the cheap comic relief to the magical negro at the switch of a light seems like something Edward Zwick would do. As someone from Hawaii, I felt cheated by the way they took a thematically plentiful issue like native land rights and had it take a backseat to a mostly unoriginal story. It was trying to be the most authentically told story about Hawaii from Hollywood and it failed. (Seriously? There's a terrible voiceover for the first ten minutes explaining how life in Hawaii is just like everywhere else with homeless people and traffic, and they spend the entire ****ing movie on vacation going through tour guide scenery stock photos? **** me.) For me, it's a disappointment from a director who deals so well with imperfect characters and moral ambiguities. That said, I do recommend it as most of the people in the theater enjoyed it greatly.

Unclebuck
01-03-2012, 08:50 AM
The Artist - the movie without any dialogue. It was unique, effective and very well done. The characters and story grabs you within the first 15 minutes or so, I really enjoyed it. I didn't love it though. This is probably the front runner for Oscar best pictiure award.

Just hasn't been a good year for movies this year.

When I think back over the past two years, Slumdog Millionaire, Social Network and The Kings Speech IMO are much better than any movies this year.

Maybe the best award type movie i've seen this year is Win/Win

bellisimo
01-05-2012, 05:52 AM
Cowboys and Aliens - such a boring movie which seemed to experience a bit of an identity crisis...all that "star" power and such a lackluster script - wished they would all die and be done with it...

Change Up - not a new concept at all but still had some alright moments - ok to watch if you're feeling like watching a light movie.

Rio 3D - Just bought a new 3DTV and it looked amazing - fun movie

Conan 2011 - These movies never reach the potential that they could reach - another wasted chance at something epic.

AesopRockOn
01-09-2012, 06:19 AM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Having seen the Swedish movie along with this, it's obvious that the main issue with this franchise is that other than the character of Salander, it's just not very good. (Each multiple ending feels increasingly tacked on.) Fincher is a masterful craftsman and he seems to do all he can with this source material; the movie looks great and has a nice slow-burn pacing. But other than the main female character played fantastically by Mara, it's just kind of boringly well executed. Mildly recommended.

Young Adult - It's not as good as Up in the Air but it's much better than Juno. People seem to be missing the point of this movie, like you're supposed to sympathize with all main characters and that everyone has to learn something by the end of movies. Great acting from Charlize while Patton kills it as well. Such an interesting take on a high school movie; I'm not sure there's been a movie about depression like this before. Reitman continues to interestingly study subcultures and ambivalent narcissists. One of the more underappreciated movies this year, with reason.

Trader Joe
01-09-2012, 12:25 PM
The Fly

Jeff Goldblum baby!

JB24
01-09-2012, 03:36 PM
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Having seen the Swedish movie along with this, it's obvious that the main issue with this franchise is that other than the character of Salander, it's just not very good. (Each multiple ending feels increasingly tacked on.) Fincher is a masterful craftsman and he seems to do all he can with this source material; the movie looks great and has a nice slow-burn pacing. But other than the main female character played fantastically by Mara, it's just kind of boringly well executed. Mildly recommended.

I haven't seen Fincher's version, but this exactly how I felt about both the novel and the Swedish adaptation.

Sparhawk
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Benjamin Button

Man, that movie was a bit slow throughout, but overall pretty good. That ending was so profoundly sad and stuck with me the rest of the day.

bellisimo
01-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Brotherhood - really short movie (75 mins) but always on the go - really liked it.

Colombiana - Nothing original - not boring - worth a watch if you have some time to kill.

joeyd
01-10-2012, 10:23 PM
The Fly
Jeff Goldblum baby!

The original 1950's version was creepy too, but this was one of the first modern horror remakes that stands up well or beats the original version.

bellisimo
01-11-2012, 04:40 AM
Crazy, Stupid Love - it was a lot better than anticipated - had some alright moments for a movie in its genre.

pacer4ever
01-11-2012, 06:38 AM
War horse

Best movie I have ever seen. Just a masterpiece Spielberg did an excellent job great story and the ending was really well done.

Sparhawk
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
War house

Best movie I have ever seen. Just a masterpiece Spielberg did an excellent job great story and the ending was really well done.

War House or War Horse?

If it's War Horse, I'll pass.

AesopRockOn
01-11-2012, 02:52 PM
War House or War Horse?

If it's War Horse, I'll pass.

I think this joke was done in Armageddon.

Sparhawk
01-12-2012, 09:53 AM
Moneyball

Enjoyable movie. I love the game of baseball, and even though I'm not a stat geek, I definitely see the value in stats. Same for basketball. It's not the end all, but it's certainly a useful tool.

Pretty amazing how 1 trip changed Billy Beane's fate as well as Peter Brand (played by Jonah Hill).

Unclebuck
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Movie just didn't work for me. I can appreciate the acting, and I love a slow burn as much as anyone and I rarely say this, but this movie was just boring. I didn't care anything about the movie as I was watching it.

Sparhawk
01-21-2012, 10:15 PM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Good movie. Stupid humans.

AesopRockOn
01-22-2012, 03:23 AM
Rewatched Attack The Block again. Definitely my favorite movie of last year. Allow it.

Unclebuck
01-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Red Tails. Ok, where is the real movie because the thing I saw seemd more like an after school special with some pretty good action scenes. They never dealt with any of the actual issues in the movie, time and again important issues would come up and within seconds it was resolved and then we got to see an action sequence. To me the movie was pretty insulting.

As a lighthearted action movie it was decent, as anything more than that it was insulting.

Sparhawk
01-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Red Tails. Ok, where is the real movie because the thing I saw seemd more like an after school special with some pretty good action scenes. They never dealt with any of the actual issues in the movie, time and again important issues would come up and within seconds it was resolved and then we got to see an action sequence. To me the movie was pretty insulting.

As a lighthearted action movie it was decent, as anything more than that it was insulting.

From what I've read, that seemed to be the movie in a nutshell. Think I'll pass on this movie.

I can't wait to see Chronicle next week! Who else is going to see this?

AesopRockOn
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Red Tails. Ok, where is the real movie[?]

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000053V7E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

AesopRockOn
01-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Me and You and Everyone We Know - It was a very quirky indie dramedy, but I enjoyed it. The actors sold the characters well, plus the script was not afraid to go there. And the poop thing was just amazing. Those two short scenes completely justify this movie's existence. Back and forth. Forever.

Dab
01-23-2012, 08:17 PM
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest via Amazon Prime. Really liked it, watched all 3 movies in the series in the last week.

I love how certain consonants are juxtaposed in Swedish. Blomkvist - we don't have anything like that in English.

jeffg-body
01-24-2012, 12:13 AM
2012- I was surprised at how good it was. My 4 year old daughter did have to point out that When Woody Harrelson stood up after being knocked over by the blast that his butt crack was hanging out. Kids see the darnest things when watching television.

AesopRockOn
01-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - A very well done action movie though not quite as good as others have suggested. The attempts at emotionality slow the movie down and various plot twists feel very mechanical. Everything in Dubai is ****ing spectacular, among the best action set pieces ever. The switcheroo mission there also worked quite well. In terms of elevating the script material into a fantastic movie, no one did a better job than Bird this past year. Pretty strongly recommended.

The Artist - I'm slightly conflicted. On the one hand, there is a clear love of and attention to detail for the Hollywood of yore. The performances by the leads are great, and the film is quite touching and sweet. That said, it is odd that this is considered one of the best movies of the year. Put this up against some of the classic silent movies and it doesn't compare. My main issue with this movie is that it can only work with modern viewers. If this had been made in the 30's like The Great Dictator or even in the 50's like Sunset Boulevard, it would be considered standard material with some third act inconsistency. It's a cute little experiment, but it has little to say about the past or future of moviemaking. What an incredibly poor year for movies 2011 was. I do intend to check out the director's other two movies (spy spoofs) that I have had on Queue for a while now. Pretty strongly recommended.

Winner
01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Something Borrowed. I'm a sucker for Romance Movies.

JB24
02-03-2012, 12:34 AM
Trumbo

Awesome film for anybody interested in the subject matter (Hollywood blacklisting in the late '40s). I love these historical narrative style documentaries.

Kegboy
02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Chronicle

Interesting deconstruction of the superhero movie. The "found footage" aspect is lame, but if you can just accept and roll with it, it's a pretty entertaining experience.

The evil kid is getting all the pub, but Michael B. Jordan continues to impress me in everything he does. Sooner or later he's gonna find the right vehicle and become a real star.

Oh, and dear lord were the previews beforehand awful. Battleship may look ridiculous, and 21 Jump Street may make me want to slit my wrists, but Three Stooges makes me glad the apocalyse is at hand. :shakehead

Sparhawk
02-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Chronicle

Interesting deconstruction of the superhero movie. The "found footage" aspect is lame, but if you can just accept and roll with it, it's a pretty entertaining experience.

The evil kid is getting all the pub, but Michael B. Jordan continues to impress me in everything he does. Sooner or later he's gonna find the right vehicle and become a real star.

Oh, and dear lord were the previews beforehand awful. Battleship may look ridiculous, and 21 Jump Street may make me want to slit my wrists, but Three Stooges makes me glad the apocalyse is at hand. :shakehead

Seeing Chronicle today.

Been wondering about the 3 Stooges. They actually filmed in Atlanta and some of the scenes were seriously like 200 yards from where I work. It was this super modern home that truly is something to see.

Sparhawk
02-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Chronicle

Loved this movie. Pretty much what Kegboy said. I still don't like the hand held camera crap, but if you can get past it, this movie was really good.

Previews were pretty bad. Excited for the Avengers though.

Unclebuck
02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
The Grey - I liked it quite a bit. Especially while I was watching it I was very involved in the story, but after it was over and looking back it was still good. Many would probably hate the ending, but I sort of liked that too.

Sparhawk
02-06-2012, 01:54 PM
The Grey - I liked it quite a bit. Especially while I was watching it I was very involved in the story, but after it was over and looking back it was still good. Many would probably hate the ending, but I sort of liked that too.

As long as everyone is eaten by wolves, I'll be happy.

Unclebuck
02-06-2012, 02:09 PM
As long as everyone is eaten by wolves, I'll be happy.

The movie made a couple of interesting choices at the end, but the movie was good enough throughout that I suppose it earned it.

Hicks
02-06-2012, 02:13 PM
I'd like to see Chronicle and The Grey, but I'm not sure if I'll find the time. :(

Stryder
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I don't get out to movies much now that I have a 2 year old. Have to wait for a bit.

I still want to see Chronicle.

Doug
02-11-2012, 12:31 PM
<i>Captain America</i>

Actually, it's the last 2 movies I've seen.

I absolutely loved it. Damn near every bit about it makes me smile a little.

I need to watch the first <i>Iron Man</i> again, because Captain America might have actually been better.

cdash
02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
<i>Captain America</i>

Actually, it's the last 2 movies I've seen.

I absolutely loved it. Damn near every bit about it makes me smile a little.

I need to watch the first <i>Iron Man</i> again, because Captain America might have actually been better.

I know I'm in the minority with this, but I didn't like Captain America at all. Just couldn't get into it. It was probably my least favorite of the Marvel movies.

Sparhawk
02-11-2012, 03:17 PM
I know I'm in the minority with this, but I didn't like Captain America at all. Just couldn't get into it. It was probably my least favorite of the Marvel movies.

Wasn't a huge fan of the movie. It was alright.

I love Iron Man though. Seen that movie like 10 times and doesn't get old. Iron Man 2 sucked though.

Stryder
02-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Going to see Phantom Menace in 3D tonight.

Kegboy
02-11-2012, 06:44 PM

Good luck. I went to Castleton at 10am (for Safe House), and it took me 10 minutes to get a ticket because of all the Star Wars people. Crazy.

Stryder
02-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Good luck. I went to Castleton at 10am (for Safe House), and it took me 10 minutes to get a ticket because of all the Star Wars people. Crazy.

Turns out I can't go now. Have to wait until Friday.

idioteque
02-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Safe house was a lot better than Mission Impossible. Looking forward to seeing the Phantom Menace even though it is by far least favorite SW film.

Hicks
02-13-2012, 12:33 AM
I ended up watching two yesterday.

First I saw Chronicle. I'll join in with all who wish this wasn't a move told through characters holding a video camera. It (the camera gimmick) wasn't that bad, but it just got old after a while (and of course at times it was ridiculous that a camera would either be rolling, or if rolling still pointed in the right direction for the audience).

But that aside, decent. I didn't love it, but I definitely liked it. Anyone else think a certain character started to be almost Anakin Skywalker-obnoxious with his whining/defensiveness/pouting? I mean, the movie makes it very clear WHY he's so whiny, and I completely understand, but... damn. Still, sad though. I also wish the movie had more with Michael B. Jordan's character. This is actually only the second time I recall seeing him (haven't seen FNL; but saw him on Parenthood) and I like the guy.

Also, why are some calling it a superhero movie? There's super powers, but this has nothing to do with fighting crime or fighting evil people. It's just kids with powers and how they react differently to them. I guess there needs to be a mob boss or a super villain or something like that for me to call it a superhero movie. They weren't out stopping bank robbers.

The second movie I saw a couple of hours later was The Grey. Really liked this one. I went in expecting to like it, but it exceeded my expectations. Surprisingly emotional, which made it all more powerful (and made the bits about faith hit a little harder). Didn't end how I expected it to, but that's perfectly okay. Highly recommended to those who can handle the very adult language and violence.

Unclebuck
02-13-2012, 08:23 AM
Safe house was a lot better than Mission Impossible. Looking forward to seeing the Phantom Menace even though it is by far least favorite SW film.

With the person who I saw the movie with Saturday I made the exact opposite comment. I thought Mission Impossible was much better than Safe House.

Safe House wasn't bad, it had its moments, but overall it just didn't come together for me. It fell into the trap of having so many twists and turns and so many he's a good guy no he's really a bad guy turns that after awhile I didn't care. And Ryan Reynolds, he's not a bad actor I suppose, but either the role wasn't good for him or the chracter was just off - probably a little bit of both. The only really outstanding thing about the movie was Denzel, everything else was average at best.

Sparhawk
02-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Crazy, Stupid, Love

The movie was my wife's choice. Just terrible. I quit watching after 30 minutes. Wife stopped watching after about 45.
The movie also has a great rating on Netflix. WTF!?

Unclebuck
02-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Crazy, Stupid, Love

The movie was my wife's choice. Just terrible. I quit watching after 30 minutes. Wife stopped watching after about 45.
The movie also has a great rating on Netflix. WTF!?

Some people really liked the movie, I thought it was not bad, but I remember the first 30 minutes or so were really bad, but then it gets much better. You IMO gave up too soon.

bellisimo
02-13-2012, 11:40 AM
CSL got better as it went along for me as well.

Watched "Man on a Ledge" over the weekend - good movie while watching it but its nothing to write home about with deep meanings and such. Should be enjoyable for what it is.

joeyd
02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
The Woman in Black. Nice little ghost story. Several good scares. Ending not as satisfying but much better than The Devil Inside.

Suaveness
02-13-2012, 08:27 PM

I was going to see this, but then I realized I'd be better off taking 2 pencils and shoving them in my eyes.

Suaveness
02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
I suppose I should contribute...

Lost in Translation- I don't know why I like this movie so much, I usually don't like movies like this, but I really do like everything about it. *shrug*

3:10 to Yuma- enjoyable

Captain America- loved it. I thought it was a very well done movie.

Sparhawk
02-13-2012, 09:40 PM
I suppose I should contribute...

Lost in Translation- I don't know why I like this movie so much, I usually don't like movies like this, but I really do like everything about it. *shrug*

3:10 to Yuma- enjoyable

Captain America- loved it. I thought it was a very well done movie.

Lost in Translation is not for everyone. I didn't really care for the first time I watched it, but after the second time I really enjoyed the movie.

Skaut_Ech
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Lost in Translation is not for everyone. I didn't really care for the first time I watched it, but after the second time I really enjoyed the movie.

It's too bad that everyone can't appreciate this movie. I loved it so much I had to buy the DVD. Then got the script There's not a lot of stuff I'll re-watch more than twice, but there's something so wistful about this movie, it just really gets to me. There's such a deliberate, slow (but not too much so) tone that just draws me in.

I guess Bill Murray is the tie-in, but I tend to watch this as a double bill with Broken Flowers, which I tink has the same tone, if not more overtly funny style.

Sparhawk
02-15-2012, 03:37 PM
It's too bad that everyone can't appreciate this movie. I loved it so much I had to buy the DVD. Then got the script There's not a lot of stuff I'll re-watch more than twice, but there's something so wistful about this movie, it just really gets to me. There's such a deliberate, slow (but not too much so) tone that just draws me in.

I guess Bill Murray is the tie-in, but I tend to watch this as a double bill with Broken Flowers, which I tink has the same tone, if not more overtly funny style.

Does anyone know what Bill whispers to Scarlett at the end? Or is it supposed to be a mystery?

Sparhawk
02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Somewhat related...

But I hope they make Ghostbusters 3. However, they should only make it if Bill is in it.

Sparhawk
02-16-2012, 05:05 PM
Also related.

Saw the trailer for Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. So watching that.

SycamoreKen
02-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Independance Day It was the movie my wife and I saw on our first date. I picked up pasta and we watched it in Valentine's Day. Still a fun movie.

jeffg-body
02-17-2012, 12:16 AM
Just finished watching The Outsiders.

rock747
02-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Drive. Gorey, but very well done. The smart movie goer will enjoy it. If you're looking for fast and the furious type flick - you may be disappointed.

idioteque
02-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Book of Eli- in part because it is good and in part because I am using it for research of a book I am going to start writing when I get out of grad school

AesopRockOn
02-21-2012, 03:37 AM
Hugo - Maybe the only movie this year I'd be comfortable with as 'Best Picture.' A great-looking throwback to old school cinema with surprising deep child characters with the cliches kept mostly in check. Really wish Scorsese hadn't won for The Depahted so that he would be a shoo in for this award. Much more a movie for cinephiles, especially towards the second half, than for children; probably why it did so poorly at the box office. Surprisingly highly recommended.

Ghost Rider: Whatever - Though it might be hilariously bad. It was just plain ******. Even if Nevaldine/Taylor had a ton of studio interference, this is unacceptable.

Unclebuck
02-21-2012, 08:23 AM
I also saw Hugo. Extremely well done movie, but it isn't a movie for kids under maybe 12 or so. Not because it has objectionable material, but just because they would be bored. In fact I saw a few families leave the theater about halfway through and I suspect the kids were bored.

Overall I didn't love the movie, I can appreciate that is was well made but it didn't completely work for me. Individual scenes were great, but to me as a whole it left me wanting something different. Great acting by the kid actor though

Sparhawk
02-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Drive

What can I say. Not what I expected at all. It went from long slow spots to ultra violence back to slow.

Thought there would be more car chases, and there were just 2. None of them were even memorable.

Good movie to rent and watch once, but I doubt I ever want to see it again.

pacer4ever
02-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Moneyball

Enjoyable movie. I love the game of baseball, and even though I'm not a stat geek, I definitely see the value in stats. Same for basketball. It's not the end all, but it's certainly a useful tool.

Pretty amazing how 1 trip changed Billy Beane's fate as well as Peter Brand (played by Jonah Hill).

Baseball is far more stats driven IMO than basketball. In baseball stats transfer and the advanced stats can basically tell you how good a player can be and in most instances stats can be the end all be all at high levels obviously not when scouting HS and other talent though. While in basketball is like a puzzle you have to find 10 players who fit together and play together as 1. In baseball you just need the best players regardless of play style there are a lot more factors to finding and drafting a good basketball team than a good baseball team imo. JMO

About the movie I just couldn't get into all the dramatization like flying to Cleveland to make a trade I doubt in all the years of baseball a trade has ever been done like that outside of the winter meetings.

And is Billy Beane off his rocker?? He just signed yoenis cespedes to a 4yr 36m contract and the guy has never played in a good league of baseball the Cuban league is equal to high A ball and Beane just made him the highest paid player on the As pretty comical if you ask me.

Sparhawk
02-21-2012, 11:32 AM
Baseball is far more stats driven IMO than basketball. In baseball stats transfer and the advanced stats can basically tell you how good a player can be and in most instances stats can be the end all be all at high levels obviously not when scouting HS and other talent though. While in basketball is like a puzzle you have to find 10 players who fit together and play together as 1. In baseball you just need the best players regardless of play style there are a lot more factors to finding and drafting a good basketball team than a good baseball team imo. JMO

About the movie I just couldn't get into all the dramatization like flying to Cleveland to make a trade I doubt in all the years of baseball a trade has ever been done like that outside of the winter meetings.

And is Billy Beane off his rocker?? He just signed yoenis cespedes to a 4yr 36m contract and the guy has never played in a good league of baseball the Cuban league is equal to high A ball and Beane just made him the highest paid player on the As pretty comical if you ask me.

Not to mention he just signed Manny Ramirez. heh

Sookie
02-22-2012, 12:26 PM
I saw Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, the Sweedish version.

Good movie, but...twisted and graphic.

cdash
02-23-2012, 09:31 PM
Drive

What can I say. Not what I expected at all. It went from long slow spots to ultra violence back to slow.

Thought there would be more car chases, and there were just 2. None of them were even memorable.

Good movie to rent and watch once, but I doubt I ever want to see it again.

Yeah, this was kind of my reaction to it too. I respect that it was extremely well put together and loved the music in the movie, but it's not something I'm dying to see again.

jeffg-body
02-27-2012, 12:15 AM
Just watched E.T. with my girls yesterday. Needless to say that both of them looked at me funny and said it sucked basically and called me old. This new generation of kids and their need for instant gratification.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 12:24 AM
Just watched E.T. with my girls yesterday. Needless to say that both of them looked at me funny and said it sucked basically and called me old. This new generation of kids and their need for instant gratification.

Seriously? God, that's depressing to hear.

Trader Joe
02-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Why is it depressing? I like E.T., but certainly don't think it's a movie that absolutely everyone has to like. I certainly won't be depressed if people don't like movies I don't like.

ilive4sports
02-27-2012, 02:05 AM
I dont care for ET really.

Sparhawk
02-27-2012, 07:07 AM
IP Man

Wow, what a fantastic movie. The fight sequences were amazing!

Hicks
02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Why is it depressing? I like E.T., but certainly don't think it's a movie that absolutely everyone has to like. I certainly won't be depressed if people don't like movies I don't like.

I never said 'absolutely everyone has to like' it. I just happen to have a high opinion of the movie now, as I also did when I was a young child, and I personally find it sad that there are kids who find it boring. It's just my opinion.

Unclebuck
02-27-2012, 11:17 AM
ET compared to the movies today is very slow moving, so for kids it probably does seem boring.

It is amazing to me to watch your typical everyday sort of movie that is made today and compare it to the typical every day type of movie made 15, 20, 25 years ago movies today are so filled with stuff happening every second - years ago it wasn't like that. Even action packed seemingly fast paced movies from 15 years ago seem slow moving as compared to today

I generally do not think it is a good trend.

Hicks
02-27-2012, 11:59 AM
It's the ADD Era. Kids in particular, but young adults as well.

Not that I'm against all super-paced media or ones supersaturated with content, but I also love films that take their time to breathe, slow burn moments.