PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

thewholefnshow31
06-30-2011, 09:04 AM
I went and saw Transformers 3 and loved it. It was a great over the top action movie that delivered on exactly what it tried to be.

Watching Megatron take an ax to the face and have his head ripped off was awesome.

I do not even bother with critics when it comes to movies like Transformers, The Expendables, or any other big action movies because most critics are just out of touch. Most critics cannot or refuse to acknowledge that not every movie tries to be some dramatic masterpiece. Sometimes a movie just tries to be a fun movie.

Sometimes I am in the mood for a dramatic movie with amazing acting, but other times I just want to see stuff blow up and robots kick some ***.

Unclebuck
06-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Actually 36% on Rotten Tomatoes is pretty good for Transformers. Better than Green Lantern, better than Cars 2, better than Hangover 2.

What is perhaps different is those who don't like Transformers seem to have a very visceral dislike to the movie as do I do all of Bay's movies.

But 57 reviewers like the movie.

Seems to me either you like or hate Bay's style of directing.

Constellations
07-01-2011, 12:30 AM
"Jackass 3.5" & "The Social Network"

joeyd
07-03-2011, 01:58 PM
I took my kid to Transformers and was pleasantly surprised. Saw it in 3-D, which I usually don't go for. But the effects were nearly as good, if not better, than Avatar. Plot points were no better than the other two movies, but the CGI was leaps and bounds better than Green Lantern and in the 3-D version, seemed seamless in contrast to actual exterior shooting venues. I'd rate it a 6-6.5 on a 10 scale, though again, not for the plot but more for the CGI and 3-D.

Stryder
07-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Transformers: Dark of the Moon in IMAX 3D.

Loved it. The typical plot-holes. But I still loved it.

Peck
07-04-2011, 02:44 AM
Bad Teacher.

Camron Diaz is not aging well at all.

As to the movie, had some funny moments & had the potential to be a very good film. However left unsatisfied due to the cheesy hollywood fairy tale ending that totally flipped her character for no reason other than we all walk away feeling better about her as a character.

I hate that they feel the need to do that.

KingGeorge
07-04-2011, 03:23 AM
The Greatest Game Ever Played. Pretty good movie.

bellisimo
07-04-2011, 04:20 AM
watched Transformers 3D over the weekend...it was nice while watching it but after leaving the theater it left a sour taste in my mouth cause of all the plot holes.

Also, never again will I go for the large drink again in the cinema - had to step out and ended up missing the car chase scene which everyone is raving about as the best part of the movie :(

cramerica
07-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Super 8. Outstanding movie.

Kegboy
07-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Utterly and completely ridiculous. Still, it worked better than the piece of **** last one.

Belli, I didn't think the car chase was that great, though that is where the movie actually started to do something. Frankly, I think anyone could skip the first hour and not lose a damn thing.

On a side note, I think I'm giving up on 3D. Yes, some of it was very impressive from a technical standpoint, but I don't feel it adds to my viewing enjoyment whatsoever. And yes, that includes the girl's *** at the beginning.

Natston
07-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Transformers: Dark of the Moon

This one was actually tolerable for the most part, and that's saying a lot for me since I thought the first two were absolute garbage. I always found it funny that people thought I was some kind of film snob only because I disliked the Transformers franchise. I still give it :2stars: for all the Bay "stuffing" but could go higher in the future if this movie is indeed the last one :pray:.

Honestly the Decepticon plan for this film should have been the plot for the first movie. Instead of the stupid format of no plan in the first, killing all humans and the earth in the second, and in the third enslaving all humans and staying on Earth (which somehow was the plan all along?).

As far as 3-D, this was my first movie in that format. It was solid and it probably made Transformers more palatable but I'm not on the bandwagon. Overall it's a good thing because now I'm not in a rush to buy a 3DTV any time soon.

Hicks
07-04-2011, 07:26 PM
I've avoided 3D for the most part.

I thought it worked well in Avatar, but even then it was distracting at times because of scuffs on the lenses and making the picture seem lower in quality. But at least the effect was well done and occasionally pretty neat then to counter-balance it.

I think this is as good as 3D has been, but I still don't think it's here to stay like some studios seem to think. I think it'll always be niche as-is.

Maybe, maybe, if they could ever get a wide-viewing-angle, non-glasses version of 3D that also somehow maintains a very good picture quality, maybe that could go far, but even then, there's going to be a disconnect with older 2D movies that will no doubt in some cases get "remastered" in 3D.

If 3D ever got that good, they might as well just divide the market between 2D and 3D instead of trying to please both kinds of media at once. Make movies just for 2D, and then make other movies that are just for 3D projections or whatever the tech. is.

Natston
07-04-2011, 09:11 PM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/H7kcqB3thJM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hicks
07-04-2011, 09:24 PM
If you like that, listen to this:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Ig9vfAAGgQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AesopRockOn
07-05-2011, 05:07 AM
Sometimes I am in the mood for a dramatic movie with amazing acting, but other times I just want to see stuff blow up and robots kick some ***.

When you're in both moods, District 9 is waiting for you.

Bridesmaids - Supremely flawed. Some of it is totally hilarious (though the Apatow formula of "don't need to write anything, we'll figure it out with improv on the set later" is beyond grating), especially Melissa McCarthy as the psuedo-lesbian (I even laughed at her bad lines, her performance was so good.). But the main character is such a ****** person. She's in a bad place, sure, but she needs to do something that shows her growing and becoming better/learning from her mistakes. I lost any emotional connection with her and thus with the movie. Which is sad because there is a lot about this movie that is authentic and very funny.

Kung Fu Panda 2 - Not sure if it's better than the first one. It's more emotionally engaging though the first felt fresher. The humor (especially in the script) is still there, the voice talent top notch (Gary Oldman, wow.), and the animation is gorgeous. The fight scenes are amazing too. Since the film is so focused on Grandmaster Po, we don't get to know the Furious Five as much as we might. It was kind of depressing going into this with a very small crowd as people were lining up for Transformers: That Pink Floyd Song in 3-D.

Also rewatched X-Men and X2: X-Men United. Both still hold up pretty well. The first has its issues with budget and overall direction (The same thing that happens to everything else.). The second one has a much clearer purpose and is nearly perfect except for the unbelievably stupid end (It was as bad as I remembered.). It's unlikely that Nolan will do to his third Batman movie what Brett Ratner did to the X-Men franchise, but at this point (two movies in) I'd consider the two franchises on equal ground quality wise.

bellisimo
07-05-2011, 05:44 AM
you know instead of shooting the Transformers movies as a commercial while the autobots are in car form, they could do something like Knight Rider, where the cars are actually talking to each other while going somewhere...they could even add the lights inside the car which KITT had that moved when he spoke...personally that would not feel cheesy for me - cause it was also in the cartoons...

there are a lot of scenes in Bay's version which are just there - they don't do anything. It looks like ads for clothes/cars/etc. He should prolly just stick to advertising/commercials in the future.

Would be awesome if Nolan would ever do a proper Transformers franchise...could totally see his version of Megatron kicking ***.

Kegboy
07-05-2011, 06:35 AM
If you like that, listen to this:

<IFRAME height=390 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Ig9vfAAGgQ" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Oh god, I could hear that the whole movie. Just like the Mass Effect-y Harry Potter trailer, I'm not furious about it, because at least they're copying good music. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but some one somewhere is mighty pissed.

Kegboy
07-05-2011, 06:49 AM
you know instead of shooting the Transformers movies as a commercial while the autobots are in car form, they could do something like Knight Rider, where the cars are actually talking to each other while going somewhere...they could even add the lights inside the car which KITT had that moved when he spoke...personally that would not feel cheesy for me - cause it was also in the cartoons...

there are a lot of scenes in Bay's version which are just there - they don't do anything. It looks like ads for clothes/cars/etc. He should prolly just stick to advertising/commercials in the future.

Would be awesome if Nolan would ever do a proper Transformers franchise...could totally see his version of Megatron kicking ***.

As a huge G1 cartoon fan, it is really sad that the robots were never actually characters, just props. But, when the humans themselves are caricatures at best, and props at worst (Megan Fox and whatshername), I guess that would be asking to much.

And thinking about Nolan doing a Transformers film is like thinking about Rachel Bilson showing up at my house and asking to be my sex slave. It's too perfect and so beyond the realm of possibility that it's painful to think about.

bellisimo
07-05-2011, 06:58 AM
As a huge G1 cartoon fan, it is really sad that the robots were never actually characters, just props. But, when the humans themselves are caricatures at best, and props at worst (Megan Fox and whatshername), I guess that would be asking to much.

And thinking about Nolan doing a Transformers film is like thinking about Rachel Bilson showing up at my house and asking to be my sex slave. It's too perfect and so beyond the realm of possibility that it's painful to think about.

I mean this is the end result when the director doesn't really know the original backstory and doesn't really care about it. Bay has said countless times that he thought the idea was bad and had been taken to Takara/Hasbro's facilities and pitched and then he learned some about the culture.

Give this franchise to someone with knowledge of G1 and let this baby fly.

I just thought that they made it more about the humans cause of technical limits and budgets as I guess it would be cheaper to make 10 robots only for 30 minutes instead of creating 40 for 150 minutes...

Trader Joe
07-05-2011, 12:01 PM
I would love to see a Transformers franchise that actually had a plot. And Nolan would slam it out of the park. Too bad that would never happen.

bellisimo
07-06-2011, 06:00 AM
there are rumors now that Jason Statham is going to be the lead in the next version of Transformers - the movie hasn't even been in theaters for a week and they're already set to reboot it!

Skaut_Ech
07-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I gotta be honest. I was all geeked to see it for the mindless spectacle of it, but my wife and I saw that running time and sadly backed off. Did the running time bother you guys or did it keep your interest? I mean, hell, seeing Transformers is like seeing the Godfather part II. I was willing to give up my time for that movie. Just don't know if I want to hit a theater for that long for Transformers.

bellisimo
07-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I gotta be honest. I was all geeked to see it for the mindless spectacle of it, but my wife and I saw that running time and sadly backed off. Did the running time bother you guys or did it keep your interest? I mean, hell, seeing Transformers is like seeing the Godfather part II. I was willing to give up my time for that movie. Just don't know if I want to hit a theater for that long for Transformers.

for me it wasn't a borefest where I checked my time which is something i tend to do in the cinema to see how much more we got left in the movie...only time i checked was when i had to take a restroom break and tried to hope i dont miss anything important...but turned out i did not do so well with my break...

graphic-er
07-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Transformers 3 -

Lots of spoilers here, so if you have seen it don't read any further. you've been warned.

Very interesting the idea of having a clandestine mission as the real reason for the moon landing. I actually kind of liked that set up and it sort of fits with the whole formation of the Hoover damn from the first movie.

Why does this movie feel like its just a bunch of cut scenes?

Overall i liked it. But yes there are some pretty big plot holes, but easy to overlook.

I'm pretty sure this will be the last Transformers movie though. They literally killed every major bad guy. No one escapes.

Social Network- I was very underwhelmed by this movie. Almost border line terrible. Was there a plot? No. It was just, hey this is how I screwed my friend over and founded the biggest social network company. Infact Timberlake's character actually stole the movie.

Pig Nash
07-06-2011, 11:09 PM
:hmm:

AesopRockOn
07-07-2011, 03:37 AM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/ba4/f4b/2d2/resized/futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-104db8.jpg

Natston
07-07-2011, 04:25 AM

Off the top of my head, the beginning does start kinda slow.

(because they want to make sure that you know that Megan Fox really isn't in the movie, Sam is jobless).

Then in the third act, there is a massive assault on a building which seems to go one for at least 15 minutes it seemed.

Constellations
07-07-2011, 05:35 AM
"Holy Rollers"

Pretty good.

Peck
07-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I thought it was pretty funny but it was made for my age group. So i can see older people finding it crude and not funny but i though it was funny. Not great but a bunch of laughs.

Just now went back and saw your review of this.

Funny how you say that you thought it was made for your age group because I walked out of the theatre telling my wife that I didn't think younger people would enjoy that because I thought it was for our age groupe.

The music was from my youth, the actors for the most part were in their late 30's and the humor (when it was there) seemed more geared for someone who had some age on them.

I guess if we both felt that way then the directors must have done better than either of us thought.:confused:

Sparhawk
07-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole

Thought this would be this generations Secret of Nimh, but I was pretty disappointed.

Peck
07-10-2011, 03:15 AM
Horrible Bosses: Had some very funny moments but overall I was slightly disappointed. However to be fair I almost had to drag my wife out of the theatre as she thought this was one of the most hilarious films she has ever seen. So I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Now on the other matter at hand. Remember during Bad teacher I said that Cameron Diaz was not aging well.

Well let me make sure to give props to Jennifer Aniston. She is aging better than a person has a right to.

She actually was one of the highlights of the film to me, not just because of her looks but I thought her character was funny.

Either way I think more people will like this than don't so I would say yes you should see this.

pacer4ever
07-10-2011, 02:45 PM
Larry Crowne

Tom Hanks is the best!

Hicks
07-10-2011, 03:34 PM
I decided to take a break this afternoon and rent a couple of flicks.

Conan Can't Stop.

It was okay, but I've become less and less of a fan the past year or so, and this didn't really steer me in a different direction than the one I was already headed. But that's not really a comment on the production of the movie, but rather Conan himself. The movie does what you'd think: Gives you a sense of how his life was during his, "Legally Prohibited From Being Funny on Television" tour. Left me feeling like I would never want to do that. :laugh:

Also saw Source Code.

Source Code was decently made and fairly entertaining; I thought it was good enough. However, the plot doesn't make any sense, especially by the end. I enjoyed Jake Gyllenhaal's performance.

Natston
07-10-2011, 03:44 PM
Smokin Aces

Meh.

Unclebuck
07-10-2011, 10:08 PM
I thought Horrible Bosses was really, really funny. Actually I heard prior that Jennifer Aniston was the best part of the movie so maybe I was expecting too much so overall I thought her character was a bit too over-the-top and a bit annoying, funny though.

More than anything I just thought the situations the three guys found themselves in were the best part of the movie. Maybe the scenes with Jamie Fox were some of the best and when they broke into the house

spreedom
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Larry Crown: 3/10. I know Tom Hanks means well and is a talented guy, but this just a lifeless bore. The only character that stood out at all was the Dibiasi guy from his class. Otherwise I didn't really care for any aspect of the movie. My girlfriend really liked it though, so I guess that's worth whatever.

Horrible Bosses: 9/10. Hilarious, well-acted, and a great way to waste time. I'll watch anything with Jason Sudeikas. Definitely my favorite comedy actor right now. Charlie Day, Jamie Foxx and Kevin Spacey (who I usually find extremely ho-hum and unmemorable) were great in this as well. And Jennifer Aniston had the best line of the movie by far:
"I want that dong, Dale."

pacer4ever
07-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Larry Crown: 3/10. I know Tom Hanks means well and is a talented guy, but this just a lifeless bore. The only character that stood out at all was the Dibiasi guy from his class. Otherwise I didn't really care for any aspect of the movie. My girlfriend really liked it though, so I guess that's worth whatever.

Horrible Bosses: 9/10. Hilarious, well-acted, and a great way to waste time. I'll watch anything with Jason Sudeikas. Definitely my favorite comedy actor right now. Charlie Day, Jamie Foxx and Kevin Spacey (who I usually find extremely ho-hum and unmemorable) were great in this as well. And Jennifer Aniston had the best line of the movie by far:
"I want that dong, Dale."

Larry Crowne would of sucked if Tom Hanks didn't play Larry. I didn't like the story but Tom Hanks is brilliant and makes movies enjoyable 4 me.

spreedom
07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Larry Crowne would of sucked if Tom Hanks didn't play Larry. I didn't like the story but Tom Hanks is brilliant and makes movies enjoyable 4 me.

I believe that, considering it sucked and he DID play Larry. This was just a really uneventful plot with pretty unmemorable characters and not a whole lot of effort by anyone in the cast. I've never seen Julia Roberts look more bored by a movie role. The only scenes with any life had Cedric the Entertainer in them, and that kinda says a lot.

Constellations
07-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Dreams In the Witch House

Sparhawk
07-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Dreams In the Witch House

Never even heard of it. I looked it up on imdb, and doesn't sound good. How was it?

pacer4ever
07-12-2011, 10:04 AM
I believe that, considering it sucked and he DID play Larry. This was just a really uneventful plot with pretty unmemorable characters and not a whole lot of effort by anyone in the cast. I've never seen Julia Roberts look more bored by a movie role. The only scenes with any life had Cedric the Entertainer in them, and that kinda says a lot.

lol ya Cedric was actually very good he is a good Yard sells-man lol .

graphic-er
07-12-2011, 11:51 AM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/ba4/f4b/2d2/resized/futurama-fry-meme-generator-not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling-104db8.jpg

I don't even understand, was this directed at me?

Lou Bega
07-12-2011, 12:25 PM
I watched the movie Big Fan starring Patton Oswalt

I enjoyed the flick. It is not academy award worthy but is a good story line. It is about a die-hard new york giants fan & really worth a viewing if you consider yourself 'die hard'.

pacer4ever
07-12-2011, 01:04 PM
The Life Aquatic one of the worst movies i have ever seen

graphic-er
07-12-2011, 01:08 PM
The Life Aquatic one of the worst movies i have ever seen

It had its moments. I thought the part where they were raiding the Pirate compound was hilarous. Also the Portuguese guy singing old Bowie hits.

Constellations
07-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Never even heard of it. I looked it up on imdb, and doesn't sound good. How was it?

It's not very good. It's part of the "Masters of Horror" series. I highly don't recommend it.

pacer4ever
07-12-2011, 03:37 PM
School for Scoundrels

very funny and pretty good

ilive4sports
07-12-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't even understand, was this directed at me?

You called the Social Network "boderline terrible" when it was widely considered one of the best films of the year.

Constellations
07-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Dance of the Dead

Doug
07-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Zombieland (Pretty good, but not quite as good as I thought it would be)

Terminator Salvation (Better than I thought it would be, but nowhere close to 1 and 2)

Yes, I'm just a little behind in my moving watching.

Sparhawk
07-12-2011, 09:55 PM
You called the Social Network "boderline terrible" when it was widely considered one of the best films of the year.

I agree with graphic-er. The movie was so dull, that I turned it off before the end. Yay, a story about a complete douche. Not my idea of a good movie. Sure the guy was smart and built upon someone else's idea, but he's still an *******.

pacer4ever
07-12-2011, 10:52 PM
I agree with graphic-er. The movie was so dull, that I turned it off before the end. Yay, a story about a complete douche. Not my idea of a good movie. Sure the guy was smart and built upon someone else's idea, but he's still an *******.

but the guy who plays zuckerberg is does such a good job of playing a stuckup dick i thought he made the movie good. He made u want to hate his character and di a great job in the role.

Sookie
07-13-2011, 12:46 AM
but the guy who plays zuckerberg is does such a good job of playing a stuckup dick i thought he made the movie good. He made u want to hate his character and di a great job in the role.

It's funny, that's how I felt about The Dark Knight. Like, Ledger made that movie..everything else about it was dull to me.

Just saw Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. First time I've seen Marilyn Monroe in a movie....so that's where that darn baby voice came from. :laugh: Pretty good movie. I'm kind of wondering if she pretty much plays the same part in every movie though..

ilive4sports
07-13-2011, 03:27 AM

Me and my friends walked out of the theater so amped up after the movie, just trying to brainstorm awesome ideas. I loved the movie. I thought it was brilliant. The movie was also done very well. Trent Reznor did an excellent job on the music too.

You call Zuckerburg an *******, I call him a genius. I found it very inspirational.

pacer4ever
07-13-2011, 03:48 AM
Me and my friends walked out of the theater so amped up after the movie, just trying to brainstorm awesome ideas. I loved the movie. I thought it was brilliant. The movie was also done very well. Trent Reznor did an excellent job on the music too.

You call Zuckerburg an *******, I call him a genius. I found it very inspirational.

he is both

and about the music whats the song called as the movie starts?

ilive4sports
07-13-2011, 04:04 AM
he is both

and about the music whats the song called as the movie starts?

From looking at the soundtracks wiki it looks to be Hand Covers Bruise

Pig Nash
07-13-2011, 08:44 AM
You mean during the bar scene?

That's Ball and a Biscuit by The White Stripes.

graphic-er
07-13-2011, 12:59 PM

Thats just it, he never actually thought up an original idea, just used others and copied their ideas, and screwed them over when the time was right. Thats not very genius or inspirational.

Constellations
07-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Thats just it, he never actually thought up an original idea, just used others and copied their ideas, and screwed them over when the time was right. Thats not very genius or inspirational.

No. The fact is that the twins weren't smart enough to write the code for the ideas , Mark was. So therefore, he was a genius by acting fast with yes, someone's idea, but in a ninja like manner.

I agree to the film being inspirational. I also agree that each character in the movie, are indeed douche bags.

ECKrueger
07-13-2011, 03:50 PM
I thought Horrible Bosses was pretty darn funny. I recommend it to most. It is a little vulgar though, although it did not bother me. That's the way it is these days.

AesopRockOn
07-14-2011, 06:36 AM

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/25380454?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/25380454">Everything is a Remix Part 3</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/kirbyferguson">Kirby Ferguson</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Trader Joe
07-14-2011, 09:16 AM

You know, you really don't need a forensics team to get to the bottom of this. If you guys were the inventors of Facebook, you'd have invented Facebook.

Yep

ilive4sports
07-14-2011, 03:47 PM

Well facebook wasn't that original of an idea by the twins either. If the twins made facebook, there would be no facebook. It never would have gotten off the ground. Zuckerberg was a genius in what he did. I dont know if anyone else would have gotten Facebook to where it is today.

The movie had brilliant acting, great drama, great writing/story line, and it pretty much delivered in every aspect, which is why it was regarded as being one of, if not the best movie of the year. I didn't think Inception was going to be topped when I saw it, but Social Network did it.

Stryder
07-15-2011, 11:25 AM
I watched the movie Big Fan starring Patton Oswalt

I enjoyed the flick. It is not academy award worthy but is a good story line. It is about a die-hard new york giants fan & really worth a viewing if you consider yourself 'die hard'.

I think there was more going on there than 'just a big fan'.

He had all the markings of Asperger syndrome.

Stryder
07-15-2011, 11:55 AM
After watching Social Network, I wanted to poison the lead character and watch him die a slow death...and this is from an avid facebook user, so I like his product.

I think the whole bar conversation at the beginning is true. He's a true a$$hole. And for that, I could never respect him.

Since86
07-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Social Network isn't the real story. It's been touched by Hollywood. Interestingly enough, the only details the cared to get right was his wardrobe. That's it.

http://www.slate.com/id/2269308/

Constellations
07-15-2011, 03:27 PM
I didn't think Inception was going to be topped when I saw it, but Social Network did it.

:bs:

Kegboy
07-15-2011, 03:56 PM
HP7.5

:bawl:

Since86
07-15-2011, 04:58 PM
HP7.5

:bawl:

Was supposed to go to the midnight showing, obviously didn't. But will be watching it in 1hr 2mins.

Sookie
07-15-2011, 08:47 PM
HP7.5

The first one I really really really liked.

Pig Nash
07-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I quite liked it.

Suaveness
07-15-2011, 10:19 PM
HP. LOVED it. I'm going to have to go back and watch it again.

Hicks
07-15-2011, 10:38 PM
Unless it's sold out, I will be going to see Potter tomorrow afternoon in Richmond. Pretty excited.

pacer4ever
07-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Horrible Bosses

wow it is really great. The 3 main characters feed off each other so well reminded me of hangover 1. and Jennifer A was hilarious. My favorite scene had to be the pee man scene. This movie was brilliant

Harry Potter 7 part 2

I thought it was good. But i don't agree/ like with the ending I would of changed it if i was in charge.

Hicks
07-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Saw the last Potter movie.

First of all, it bears mentioning that I think the sound was messed up at the Richmond theater I saw it in. I felt like the volume was about 75%-80% of what it ought to have been, and it seemed like there wasn't always music where I have the feeling there actually IS music.

With that out of the way, and acknowledging that the above probably, if not definitely, played a role, it kind of fell flat to me. Yet I wouldn't say it was bad, either.

I definitely need to see it again, hopefully somewhere with proper audio, but for now I was left somewhat underwhelmed, though I have to say there are still some nice moments.

There were emotional moments that touched me, but I felt like there were certain scenes that had the potential to deliver a 10/10 gut wrenching moment, but instead we're given about a 6/10 instead. (Particularly the part outside of the Forbidden Forest, though the bit between Harry and Hermione just prior got me to tear up a bit).

For those who are Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, remember when Buffy has a very similar moment before she goes down to the sewer to face The Master? Sarah Michelle Geller knocks an identical line out of the park, whereas Radcliffe does not.

I'd read some reviews talking about how the movie gives plenty of nods/moments to various players, but they all seem to be kind of like a checklist; here and then suddenly done and moving on. I tend to agree, but not always. Over the last several years, as I've grown more mature, I've really come to appreciate movies that let scenes breathe, so I'm more and more turned off when things don't get to take a full breath and have an exhale, so to speak. Sometimes this movie fell victim to not letting things stretch out just a little bit.

My audience members didn't help in other cases by giggling at things I didn't think were meant to be funny, but I've had far worse audiences, too.

I dunno; I feel bad for being so negative; it's another solid effort in the series, but I can't help feeling like I got a 7/10 when it could have been a 9/10, somehow.

As I did in the book, I really liked the epilogue.

As I did in the book, I felt underwhelmed by the climactic moment.

And getting back to the F. Forest scene, they could have milked a lot more emotion out of that, both heading in, and while we're still in there. Maybe they wanted to keep things from being too dark; I dunno.

All in all, I definitely want to give this another shot before it leaves theaters so I can hopefully hear it all properly (I'm crossing my fingers for more music, which can easily stir my emotions if done well), and really I'm getting an itch to re-read at least chunks of Deathly Hallows to re-experience it in that medium.

Funny enough, part 1 stirred my emotions more than this one did. Never expected that to happen. I will say that I'd love a chance to watch it as one uninterrupted movie someday. I re-watched part 1 on blu-ray this morning to prepare, but that's not the same thing.

Oh, and I didn't get the Dark Knight Rises Teaser. :( I know it's barely anything, but I love the Nolan Batman films, and I still wanted to see it. I wish they'd hurry up with getting it online (and not as a boot leg).

Kegboy
07-16-2011, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up on the music. I remember many scenes where it was silent, except for the sobbing I heard in the theater.

Sookie
07-16-2011, 10:35 PM
Saw the last Potter movie.

First of all, it bears mentioning that I think the sound was messed up at the Richmond theater I saw it in. I felt like the volume was about 75%-80% of what it ought to have been, and it seemed like there wasn't always music where I have the feeling there actually IS music.

With that out of the way, and acknowledging that the above probably, if not definitely, played a role, it kind of fell flat to me. Yet I wouldn't say it was bad, either.

I definitely need to see it again, hopefully somewhere with proper audio, but for now I was left somewhat underwhelmed, though I have to say there are still some nice moments.

There were emotional moments that touched me, but I felt like there were certain scenes that had the potential to deliver a 10/10 gut wrenching moment, but instead we're given about a 6/10 instead. (Particularly the part outside of the Forbidden Forest, though the bit between Harry and Hermione just prior got me to tear up a bit).

For those who are Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans, remember when Buffy has a very similar moment before she goes down to the sewer to face The Master? Sarah Michelle Geller knocks an identical line out of the park, whereas Radcliffe does not.

I'd read some reviews talking about how the movie gives plenty of nods/moments to various players, but they all seem to be kind of like a checklist; here and then suddenly done and moving on. I tend to agree, but not always. Over the last several years, as I've grown more mature, I've really come to appreciate movies that let scenes breathe, so I'm more and more turned off when things don't get to take a full breath and have an exhale, so to speak. Sometimes this movie fell victim to not letting things stretch out just a little bit.

My audience members didn't help in other cases by giggling at things I didn't think were meant to be funny, but I've had far worse audiences, too.

I dunno; I feel bad for being so negative; it's another solid effort in the series, but I can't help feeling like I got a 7/10 when it could have been a 9/10, somehow.

As I did in the book, I really liked the epilogue.

As I did in the book, I felt underwhelmed by the climactic moment.

And getting back to the F. Forest scene, they could have milked a lot more emotion out of that, both heading in, and while we're still in there. Maybe they wanted to keep things from being too dark; I dunno.

All in all, I definitely want to give this another shot before it leaves theaters so I can hopefully hear it all properly (I'm crossing my fingers for more music, which can easily stir my emotions if done well), and really I'm getting an itch to re-read at least chunks of Deathly Hallows to re-experience it in that medium.

Funny enough, part 1 stirred my emotions more than this one did. Never expected that to happen. I will say that I'd love a chance to watch it as one uninterrupted movie someday. I re-watched part 1 on blu-ray this morning to prepare, but that's not the same thing.

Oh, and I didn't get the Dark Knight Rises Teaser. :( I know it's barely anything, but I love the Nolan Batman films, and I still wanted to see it. I wish they'd hurry up with getting it online (and not as a boot leg).

Well, I will say, I'm completely opposite of you, I loved the seventh book, although to be fair, the only book I didn't love was the sixth book. But I couldn't stand the epilogue.

My problem was it ended..too much like a fairytale. Spoiler, for those living under a rock and do not know what happens. ;) I was, of course, hoping she'd kill one of the trio, (My pick was Hermione during the Bellatrix scene..I would have sobbed..)

But I agree with what your saying, part of the problem is, there was so much in these books..and the movies did not cover even 50% of it. I however, thought this was one of the better movies. The third movie, although almost completely different from the book, was the best movie of the bunch. And I wish that director had directed the rest of the movies. But anyway, this movie had to move in a fast pace in order to get as much as they can in.

One of the biggest problems though, with the movies, is that they often fail to represent the themes in JK Rowlings books, visually. (Sometimes even..at all..or barely.)

I also think, in order to do the books complete justice, they needed to be a lot darker. Which would have meant a higher rating, which would have meant less ticket sales.

Kegboy
07-17-2011, 09:14 AM
The third movie, although almost completely different from the book, was the best movie of the bunch.

Okay, yes, they didn't explain the map or much of anything about the previous generation, but the basic story and tone are the same. I hear people complain about stuff left out of these films, and I can sympathize, but compared to what Hollywood did to my beloved Tom Clancy books growing up, I'm not too broken up about it.

Hicks
07-17-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't understand the concept of them needing to be "a lot darker". Maybe they could have been somewhat darker, but a lot? I don't know about that.

Suaveness
07-17-2011, 07:39 PM
I really don't get why people think the third movie was the best. I was bored out of my mind and didn't feel it reflected the books well.

And I did like the ending here, I was secretly hoping they would do what they did. It's more fun that way.

Sookie
07-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Okay, yes, they didn't explain the map or much of anything about the previous generation, but the basic story and tone are the same. I hear people complain about stuff left out of these films, and I can sympathize, but compared to what Hollywood did to my beloved Tom Clancy books growing up, I'm not too broken up about it.

I guess it's more what they left out. I honestly think the movies, in general, would have been a lot better if they had waited until JK Rowling had finished the books before they started making the movies..as well as continuing with the same director.

"A lot darker" to me, the tone of the books were a lot darker...or maybe more mature.

Trader Joe
07-18-2011, 08:56 AM
I saw HP Part 2 last night. I don't really know what to say. As someone who was 10 years old when the first book came out and is now 23, it really was like watching your childhood come to an end on the big screen, and I guess because of that I felt somewhat cheated by the ended. It wasn't as emotionally powerful as it could have been, other than Neville's speech IMO. Now maybe, I'm just expecting a whole lot because the Potter series has stretched such a large portion of my life. I dunno. It was a good movie, sure, but I feel like it could have been more. Maybe I just didn't want it to end, but the final fight with LeStrange for example was just, well it felt rushed.

And having Harry and Voldemort fight all over the castle, well I didn't really like that either. I preferred the book's version where they fight in the great hall.

As usual over the past couple films, I felt that Emma Watson put both Rupert and Radcliffe to shame in the emotional moments of the movies.

I don't know, maybe I just expected too much, that's honestly probably what it was, but did any of the deaths really touch you? Because too me it was just like "oh well there's a body on a stretcher big whoop".

Since86
07-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I guess I'm gonna be the first one to say I hated HP7.2. And I mean HATED it.

I just don't understand Hollywood, where everyone thinks that they're the freaking ****. Your job is to make the BOOK into a movie. Not change the book into the movie that you want.

I'm mean the Resurrection Stone was a flipping stone in the movie.... If you can't even make the "stone" into a freaking ring then clearly you're more interested in making it your own.

I could go through it piece by piece, but that would take forever.

I understand combining things and leaving things out because there isn't much time. But when you change blantant things like the ring, or making the Snape scene in a ****ing boathouse, instead of the Shreiking Shack, then you've lost all credibility.

I mean goodness, they couldn't even make the diadem correctly, eventhough they show a damn replica in HP7.1.

I hated it. The acting sucked. There wasn't any emotional appeal. The scene with the dragon felt like they were taking a walk in the park. There wasn't any suspense at all, there wasn't any intensity, it just happened.

I know I say the same things after every movie, but damn it's so disappointing.

Kegboy
07-18-2011, 01:14 PM
See, I just don't understand how changing the location of Snape's death could offend someone. I read about the boathouse months ago, and the reasons why they did it were dead on. Having our heroes watch through a window as opposed to from a hatch under the floor boards in a cramped room worked much better visually. Rowling herself said it was the right choice and a larger, more striking setting gave Snape's death a more operatic feel.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm mean the Resurrection Stone was a flipping stone in the movie.... If you can't even make the "stone" into a freaking ring then clearly you're more interested in making it your own.

Uh, it's a stone in the book, too; it was only with the ring until, I believe, when Dumbledore destroyed it when it was still a horcrux. I even just looked it up again in the book; it describes a stone, not a ring, at that point.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 01:35 PM
I do agree with the lack of tension in scenes like that. That's how I felt about some of the more emotional (or should be emotional) ones: They just sort of happen.

Since86
07-18-2011, 01:39 PM
They could have changed the insides of the Shack in order to fit the need, instead of coming up with a totally new place to have the scene. If you're going to change it, why not change it as little as you can instead of changing the whole thing?

But it still doesn't explain why the stone was an actual stone, instead of a ring. Or why they decided to change the diadem. Or why Luna is in the Room of Requirement already when Harry and Co. show up.

I really need to stop, because I'm pretty sure I can write a couple thousand words about this.

Since86
07-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Uh, it's a stone in the book, too; it was only with the ring until, I believe, when Dumbledore destroyed it when it was still a horcrux. I even just looked it up again in the book; it describes a stone, not a ring, at that point.

It's still a ring, they just call it a stone. It talks about how it cracks down the middle of the stone, right along the line that represents the Elder Wand.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Can you reference anywhere that it says it's still a ring? Because the moment it pops out of the snitch, it just describes the stone. I'm not sure you're correct about this. And given that it's a ring in the 6th movie, I see no reason why they'd just change it for no reason.

Furthermore, it's called the resurrection stone, not the resurrection ring, and the implication is that one of the descendants of the family who had it eventually made it into a ring.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Gaunt%27s_Ring

Also, what's wrong with the diadem? And why should anyone care, given that it's not as if they replaced it with a tambourine or something equally jarringly different? Looked like a woman's crown / tiara to me.

Since86
07-18-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm working off memory, but I have read each book atleast 4 times and reread the last book just days prior to going to see the film. I don't think the book says it turned back into a stone, so without being told that it was, I would assume that it kept it's form. I'm pretty sure she describes it as being in perfect condition, except for the crack down the middle that splits the wand. Either way, there wasn't a crack, and it didn't have the rest of the Deathly Hallows symbol.

And I'm pretty sure, like 99%, that it even talks about the ring sitting on Dumbledore's desk in HBP. Harry asks about it, and Dumbledore shrugs him off and say's something like "that tale is for another day" and it's one of the questions Harry beats himself up over not asking him again after his death.

As for the diadem, I can't desribe it exactly, since she uses fictional things like gnargls and stuff like that but it has flaps over the ears. Has something that dangles from the forehead of it.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 02:22 PM
The idea is that it was broken off of the ring before being place inside the snitch. That's how I read it.

Also, it was a stone when death allegedly gave it to one of the brothers; it wasn't described as a ring then, either. One of the brother's ancestors fashioned it into the ring.

I'll end with asking: Who really should give a ****? It works just fine / the same either way.

This reminds me of the kind of **** I used to read Trekkies complaining about; levels of detail that just don't mean anything to me.

Since86
07-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm focusing on just small, minute details. The final fight between Harry and Voldemort took place in the Great Hall for a reason. That reason was lost in the movie.

If I had to give my thesis on the series, I would say Love. Personal sacrifice for the greater good.

But watching that final fight between them, you'd never know. Harry TAUNTS Voldemort at the end. He wraps up the entire book with what he said. I'm diving way further into than I really should.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 02:53 PM
What was the significant of it being in the great hall beyond of course that room playing as a key centerpiece for many of the previous stories? I liked it being in there, too, but it didn't bother me much that it was moved.

Trader Joe
07-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Whoa, I didn't care about the stone or changing the location of Snape's death. I was way more put off by deaths of major characters just getting a 10 second view on screen and then being pushed away. It could have been so much more epic. I would have much rather seen a huge fight culminating in their deaths rather than just being like oh hey, here they and they're dead...lame. And a cop out. That would have only added about 10 minutes on what was already a long movie. That was a mistake.

Trader Joe
07-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Oh I do agree with Since that the final fight should have been in the great hall. I don't get why they changed it. It made it seem a lot more like Harry was actually fighting for and with his friends. And in this way he's now being chased all around the castle by himself, I didn't like that.

Also, doesn't Nagini get killed pretty much immediately in the book? Why drag that out but completely cut out death scenes for Lupin, Tonks, or Fred, I think it was Fred? Yet Nagini gets to pointlessly chase people around for 10 minutes...stupid.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 02:58 PM
If I recall correctly, the book just kind of tells you those people died, too. Not saying that makes it better, though. They could have gotten more out of it on screen; I agree.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 03:00 PM
Oh I do agree with Since that the final fight should have been in the great hall. I don't get why they changed it. It made it seem a lot more like Harry was actually fighting for and with his friends. And in this way he's now being chased all around the castle by himself, I didn't like that.

Also, doesn't Nagini get killed pretty much immediately in the book? Why drag that out but completely cut out death scenes for Lupin, Tonks, or Fred, I think it was Fred? Yet Nagini gets to pointlessly chase people around for 10 minutes...stupid.

The only thing that confused me was why they make it seem like Harry can now almost go toe to toe with him. I thought the whole point was that he won on a technicality (so to speak), yet by the last moment, it almost seems like Harry is overpowering him.

As for

Nagini, I was expecting Neville to chop his (her?) head off outside after his speech; that would have been good, I think.

Since86
What was the significant of it being in the great hall beyond of course that room playing as a key centerpiece for many of the previous stories? I liked it being in there, too, but it didn't bother me much that it was moved.

It's not so much the room it took place in, but rather because everyone else is there to watch it.

Harry explains it all to Voldemort, taunting him about what Voldemort didn't care enough to understand. (love)

It ties everything together. It literally gives everything the whole series is about, which is love for your fellow man, and personal sacrifice for the greater good.

They completely did away with Dumbledore's background which establishes that. He and Grendlewald (spelling?) were focused on the greater good, and making people conform to it. Whereas once Dumbledore's sister died, he realizes that the innocent get caught up, and then you're just a murderer. Personal sacrifice (love) vs sacrificing others.

Trader Joe
If I recall correctly, the book just kind of tells you those people died, too. Not saying that makes it better, though. They could have gotten more out of it on screen; I agree.

Doesn't the Weasley twin die during an actual fight? He is crushed by debris I think or something like that.

Trader Joe
07-18-2011, 03:03 PM
The only thing that confused me was why they make it seem like Harry can now almost go toe to toe with him. I thought the whole point was that he won on a technicality (so to speak), yet by the last moment, it almost seems like Harry is overpowering him.

As for

Nagini, I was expecting Neville to chop his (her?) head off outside after his speech; that would have been good, I think.

Harry is overpowering him because the elder wand is not giving all its power to Voldemort. But at the same time Harry should be recognized as a great wizard, Rowling has even said as much that Harry one of the best or the best dueler of any of the characters.

And yes that is what I was expecting as well, that is what happens in the book, and it's a badass start to the final battle. I even think when he does it in the book Harry is still thought to be dead. That would have been emotionally powerful. Harry hopping back to life right after the last horcrux is disposed, talk about crushing blow to Voldemort. Yet the movie sort of cheapens it, Harry already clearly has Voldemort reeling by the time Nagini dies. Seems like they were just trying to build suspense for those who haven't read the books.

Trader Joe
07-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Also cutting out Harry taunting Voldemort was also a major mistake. I love reading that section, you can just tell Voldemort and all his supporters know the end is coming.

Since86
07-18-2011, 03:09 PM
Also cutting out Harry taunting Voldemort was also a major mistake. I love reading that section, you guys just tell Voldemort and all his supporters know the end is coming.

The books treated the Malfoy's much better than the movies.

Trader Joe
07-18-2011, 03:11 PM

Plus it's a great juxtaposition to many of their other encounters (Voldemort/Harry) usually Voldemort seems to know something Harry doesn't in this case, the tables were turned and Harry takes great advantage of it.

Since86
07-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Well it also shows that it's never to late to switch sides, so to speak. I wish I had my book with me, because I forget the wording, but basically the only time Voldemort looks taken aback is when Harry say's he can still repent for what he's done.

Which is why Malfoy's were brought back into the fold, and it shows Draco as an adult living a normal life.

EEDIT: And I know there are a lot of spoilers, but are they really spoilers if the movie doesn't even have it?

Sookie
07-18-2011, 03:26 PM

I actually thought the movies treated the Malfoy's exactly like the book.

The idea being that, they weren't "bad" at heart, especially Draco (in fact, I thought the movie treated Daddy Malfoy better than the book did) but they were most interested in self preservation.

example being, it was obvious that Draco (and in fact, Tom Felton and girl who plays Luna are probably the best of the young actors) wanted to stay on the side with the other students, but with the pressure of mom and dad, and with things looking like they were going Voldemort's way, he joined the dark side.

What I didn't like, was the way they handled Bellatrix and Voldemort. From him pushing her down when she was trying to help him up, to absolutely no reaction when she died. Bellatrix was on par with Nagini in terms of "closest things Voldemort ever loved" and the movies did not show that.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 03:28 PM
It's not so much the room it took place in, but rather because everyone else is there to watch it.

I totally agree. I loved that visual (in my mind, of course) when I got to that part in the book. There's just something about everyone being there, after all of these stories where everyone has their pocket of life, only referring to other people, but now we have them all together, no more talking, here we are, and right in the middle of it is "He Who Shall Not Be Named" and "The Boy Who Lived" squaring off. That was an excellent setup.

Harry explains it all to Voldemort, taunting him about what Voldemort didn't care enough to understand. (love)

It ties everything together. It literally gives everything the whole series is about.

This keeps making me referenced the end of the last book (kind of fun, actually), and talk about a wasted opportunity by the movie. Would this not be an epic moment had they filmed it?

"Voldemort was now dueling McGonagall, Slughorn, and Kingsley all at once, and there was a cold hatred in his face as they wove and ducked around him, unable to finish him --

Bellatrix was still fighting too, fifty yards away from Voldemort, and like her master she dueled three at once: Hermione, Ginny, and Luna, all battling their hardest, but Bellatrix was equal to them."

That would have been SWEET!

Oh well.

Any way, I went on to read that last scene with Harry and Voldemort, and yeah, it plays way better.

They still would have had to have trimmed it down, but I can envision a scene like that in a movie, where they circle one another like wolves, exchanging their dialog as we cut back and forth between the two staring at one another, and you would probably have their spell-exchange in slow-mo to better appreciate it because in real time it's over and done in a second.

I enjoyed re-reading all of the dialog, but they'd have to revise it so it wasn't just a ton of it, but I like the idea of ending it with their exchange.

Hicks
07-18-2011, 03:33 PM
What I didn't like, was the way they handled Bellatrix and Voldemort. From him pushing her down when she was trying to help him up, to absolutely no reaction when she died. Bellatrix was on par with Nagini in terms of "closest things Voldemort ever loved" and the movies did not show that.

I don't think he loved anybody. But yeah, I just re-read that part; he was screaming when she died, and knocks 3 great wizards on their asses in the process.

Since86
07-18-2011, 03:36 PM
I actually thought the movies treated the Malfoy's exactly like the book.

The idea being that, they weren't "bad" at heart, especially Draco (in fact, I thought the movie treated Daddy Malfoy better than the book did) but they were most interested in self preservation.

They walked away as outcasts, rather than staying in the Great Hall and reassimilating back in to the wizarding world.

Trader Joe
07-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Exactly Hicks, having those two battles would have been awesome, it would have been a fitting way to finish the series, as it was in the book.

Sookie
07-18-2011, 04:00 PM
They walked away as outcasts, rather than staying in the Great Hall and reassimilating back in to the wizarding world.

In the book they were "outcasts" in a similar fashion, I believe it was specifically mentioned that they were keeping to themselves.

The end of the movie and book though, Harry and Draco acknowledge each other at Kings Cross. (I thought that scene was exceptionally well done.)

Honestly, for me, the movies will never be anything close to the books, but after the fourth and fifth (although, Umbridge was perfect) and them screwing up my favorite scene in the sixth, this was a really good finish.

As I said, I wish that Alfonso Cuarón had done the entire series, for continuity, and because I thought he made the best/least cheesy, movie, despite wavering from the books the most. Although if it was up to me, I'd have Tim Burton direct all of them. It would have driven a lot of Potter fans mad, but he stays very close to book adaptations, I think his creepy style works..plus..we would have had Johnny Depp for Sirius. :laugh:

edit: I agree, I don't think "Love" was the correct word for it. I don't even know if "caring" is the correct word. LOL, maybe she was the only person he liked.

Constellations
07-18-2011, 05:01 PM
Horrible Bosses

One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time.

Constellations
07-19-2011, 08:28 PM
The Damned Thing

Not good at all. 1/5

ECKrueger
07-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Horrible Bosses

One of the funniest movies I've seen in a long time.

I agree. I have seen it twice already. Actually thought it was even better the second time.

Added: I keep seeing these ads for Friends With Benefits. Really? It is the exact same thing as No Strings Attached or whatever with Ashton Kutcher. That came out like a month ago max. Don't they have any other ideas??

SycamoreKen
07-21-2011, 12:56 AM
My wife and I went to see the Harry Potter movie Monday. I had not read the last book, so was not disappointed by how it went. We thought the ending was rather cheesy, but when I found out it went like that in the book it made it easier to take. It was more the way they did it than the actual scene.

We watched the second Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie yesterday. I teach 6th grade so it is even more humorous to me. We enjoyed it.

By the way, all of the complaints about how this series (harry potter) was made is why I will not see the Dark Tower series if it is made into movies. There is just no way it will work. Plus, if they end it like he did, people will not be happy. Ditto for a Wheel of Time movie series as well.

pacer4ever
07-21-2011, 12:19 PM
I agree. I have seen it twice already. Actually thought it was even better the second time.

Added: I keep seeing these ads for Friends With Benefits. Really? It is the exact same thing as No Strings Attached or whatever with Ashton Kutcher. That came out like a month ago max. Don't they have any other ideas??

It is the same thing but they probably were making it at the same time and didn't know about each other. The chick from no strings attached was great and made the movie good but I though they could of got a better actor than Ashton to play the dude.

Sookie
07-21-2011, 05:28 PM
It is the same thing but they probably were making it at the same time and didn't know about each other. The chick from no strings attached was great and made the movie good but I though they could of got a better actor than Ashton to play the dude.

I like Natalie a lot, but I think sometimes she can be terrible in movies..and I thought that time was one of those times..I actually liked Ashton better.

I prefer Mila Kunis in general though though. (A lot of interesting connections between these movies.) The Friends With Benefits is essentially supposed to be more graphic..and I think it's more..they were actually friends first, instead of the nothing that Natalie and Ashton were.

Constellations
07-21-2011, 07:07 PM
The Deaths of Ian Stone

I really loved it. The special FX is really awesome in this film. 4/5

ECKrueger
07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
I like Natalie a lot, but I think sometimes she can be terrible in movies..and I thought that time was one of those times..I actually liked Ashton better.

I prefer Mila Kunis in general though though. (A lot of interesting connections between these movies.) The Friends With Benefits is essentially supposed to be more graphic..and I think it's more..they were actually friends first, instead of the nothing that Natalie and Ashton were.

I still think it is silly how similar and closely released they are. I don't care to see either, but just thought it was weird.

Sookie
07-21-2011, 11:54 PM
I still think it is silly how similar and closely released they are. I don't care to see either, but just thought it was weird.

Well it's really ironic.

In Black Swan, Mila plays the Black Swan to Natalie's White Swan..aka..the pure sweet little girl to the...uh..not so much.

Friends With Benefits is an incredibly similar movie..just not as romantic and more comedy/graphic. (From what I've read, I obviously haven't seen this one.)

ECKrueger
07-22-2011, 12:46 AM
Well it's really ironic.

In Black Swan, Mila plays the Black Swan to Natalie's White Swan..aka..the pure sweet little girl to the...uh..not so much.

Friends With Benefits is an incredibly similar movie..just not as romantic and more comedy/graphic. (From what I've read, I obviously haven't seen this one.)

I am sure they are similarly stupid :) I bet they fall in love in the end too.

Kegboy
07-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Captain America

The first half is great, then it becomes a generic action film.

Not being a comic book aficionado, I wonder how I would have felt about Bucky's death if I hadn't just read his back (and forward) story.

graphic-er
07-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Cyrus
With Jonah Hill and John C Reily and Marissa Tomei.

Funny with some awkwardly sweet moments.

Good concept, but they did not carry it far enough. The previews lead you to think the hi-jinx is full on in this movie, but it really wasn't. Only 96 minutes long. They could of had another 30 minutes in this movie of them 2 pulling pranks and one upping each other.

Hicks
07-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Captain America.

I liked it. These Marvel films aren't my favorite kind of superhero films, but they're fun and mostly well-done. I'm definitely looking forward to the Avengers.

Between that, the Amazing Spider-Man (which I've really started to come around on after initially being dismissive), and the Dark Knight Rises, Summer 2012 could be an amazing summer for comic book movies. If they all meet expectations, I'm not sure there's ever been a better summer for this genre.

Stryder
07-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Captain America.

I liked it. These Marvel films aren't my favorite kind of superhero films, but they're fun and mostly well-done. I'm definitely looking forward to the Avengers.

Between that, the Amazing Spider-Man (which I've really started to come around on after initially being dismissive), and the Dark Knight Rises, Summer 2012 could be an amazing summer for comic book movies. If they all meet expectations, I'm not sure there's ever been a better summer for this genre.

Did you stick around for the Avengers teaser after the credits?

Hicks
07-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Yep

Constellations
07-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Insidious

I didn't like it. But a good a movie. 3/5

Suaveness
07-24-2011, 04:47 PM
I really enjoyed Captain America, and I'm really excited for the Avengers. Next year is going to be a dynamite year for movies. Spiderman, Dark Knight Rises, and Avengers in the summer, Star Trek (probably), James Bond, and The Hobbit (yay) in the winter. Wow.

joeyd
07-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Captain America. I enjoyed it. Not as much as X-men: First Class. But way more than Green Lantern.

I am looking forward to the Avengers movie, but not so much Spiderman. Not quite sure what they would do differently.

I'm looking forward to the next Batman movie, but it appears that my hopes will be dashed with the choice of villain. I was hoping that an old wrong, IMO, would have been righted. I always thought that Robin Williams, especially a younger Robin Williams, would have made a superb Riddler. However, that role in the Tim Burton-initiated series of movies went to Jim Carrey. Bad decision, although he was the hot name at the time.

Peck
07-25-2011, 03:28 AM
Captain America: This was only 100,000,000% better than I expected it to be.

Honestly I had such low expectations for this film that almost anything would have been better than what I was thinking.

However the way they approached this story was totally different than what I expected from them. While I hate origin films from established characters the way they did this was great.

In fact IMO this was probably the best comic origin story done on film to date.

They truly captured the essence of Steve Rogers and why he is Captain America and not just because of the secret soldier formula. The never give up attitude, the sense of duty, obligation and the absolute hatred for bullies.

If there was anything disappointing to me was that I think the film would have had a much bigger emotional impact if they would have ended with the kids running into action carrying the garbage can lid painted like Cap's shield. I think the future stuff could have been put at the beginning of the movie. But that's just me & it didn't ruin the film for me.

The scenes and frankly the entire scenario where he is being used as a P.R. piece & bonds salesman was both funny & important to the overall storyline as well.

Yea, the more I set here and type about this the more I can say that I really really liked this one.

However I will freely admit to being an Avenger NERD so Captain America is one of my favorite characters, but I also expect a LOT from this character as well.

One thing that has not been talked about by anyone that I have seen is the fact that Captain America kills in this film. Kills several in fact and doesn't bat an eye in doing so. I'm not sure even Wolverine in his films has openly killed so this might be a first (Punisher does not count).

They did not advertise this as well as they should have, although I will say this.

When I went to my theatre on Sunday afternoon (2:45) showing the place was packed and people were lined up out the doors to get tickets. I thought that this was a group of people to see Harry Potter but then I realized that it didn't start for another hour and a half. They were here for Captain America and there were very few empty seats in the actual theatre itself.

Anyway I would highly recommend seeing this film and as always with Marvel movies stay pas the credits or you will miss out.

As to fan boy issues that were present.

1. Winter Soldier sub plot. Not on purpose mind you but the fact that they had Bucky being a sniper was cool for those of you that know what he
becomes.

http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/19944/12371370091_SPLASH.jpg

2. Arnim Zola, need I say more
http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/5/5e/Arnim_Zola_(Earth-616).gif

Unclebuck
07-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Captain America was really good. Two basic reasons, it was funny and they actually developed the characters.

As far as all that stuff peck posted I have no idea about any of that. It was a well made and good movie.

Hicks
07-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Wolverine certainly killed people in X2; I can't recall off the top of my head with the other films. Remember when he's protecting the young students from Stryker? Remember Lady Deathstrike?

Peck
07-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Wolverine certainly killed people in X2; I can't recall off the top of my head with the other films. Remember when he's protecting the young students from Stryker? Remember Lady Deathstrike?

I don't really remember X2 all that much. I loved X-Men & I really actually liked the Wolverine movie but X2 & X3 were both totally forgetable IMO. In fact X3 I have intentionally blocked out of my mind as it was so bad.

Hicks
07-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Wow. Shows how two people's opinions can really veer off in different directions. While I agree with X3, I think X2 is the best of all of them.

Peck
07-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow. Shows how two people's opinions can really veer off in different directions. While I agree with X3, I think X2 is the best of all of them.

I didn't hate X2 but it just wasn't anything special to me. I may have to watch it again as it has been a few years since I've seen it.

BTW the next day & I still love the Captain America movie.

Constellations
07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
American History X

Great movie.

Hicks
07-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Got away to catch Harry Potter again tonight. It played better for me this time; I liked it a little more afterwards. I think the less I was looking to see how it compared to the book, the better it played just standing on its own. I can still nitpick it in a lot of ways, but just taking it in for what it is instead of obsessing over what it wasn't, it's mostly a pretty good flick.

Constellations
07-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Unearthed

Horrible. 0.5/5

Sookie
07-26-2011, 12:17 AM
transformers 3

Honestly, it was amusing. If you take those movies for what they are, they are entertaining. One of the monster machine things was totally supposed to be the Kraken though.

Trader Joe
07-26-2011, 09:21 AM
Guess I'll have to give Captain America a chance.

Unclebuck
07-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Captain America was in many ways the most patriotic movie I have seen in a long, long time.

Hicks
07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
By the way, am I the only one who just could not accept that helmet? I liked the costume from the neck down, but the helmet didn't work IMO.

Kegboy
07-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Captain America was in many ways the most patriotic movie I have seen in a long, long time.

Yes, but it wasn't jingoistic, which is important, especially for how it plays overseas. I thought they walked that tightrope well.

Kegboy
07-26-2011, 11:04 AM
By the way, am I the only one who just could not accept that helmet? I liked the costume from the neck down, but the helmet didn't work IMO.

It didn't really work for me, but I went along with it. I do feel that it's going to be very distracting in The Avengers, though.

AesopRockOn
07-27-2011, 04:52 AM
Rango - Beautiful looking. Most of the quirks worked for me. A little short on non-visual substance. I'm glad I own it.

Horrible Bosses - It was okay. Some really fun parts, some really skippable parts. For whatever reason (studio heads?), Hollywood keeps pumping out poorly written comedy scripts elevated by their casts and directors. Save for the rare Tropic Thunder or Forgetting Sarah Marshall, there are no good comedy scripts being written. The best comedy is obviously on TV currently, maybe it's just a cycle.

Scre4m - It's a piece of ****. Doesn't really need any more than that, but Vince Mancini (aka Armond Jr.) nailed it (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/04/review-scre4m-is-the-y3ars-w0rst-f1lm) when the movie came out.

It is an amazing combination of ambitious, pretentious, narcissistic, and idiotic. It is a remedial-English class slam poem....

And it’s so tumescent with self-regard that you can’t even enjoy its utter ineptitude.

Constellations
07-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Sling Blade

Brilliant. 5/5

ECKrueger
07-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Sling Blade

Brilliant. 5/5

What movies much? :D

Constellations
07-28-2011, 03:33 PM
What movies much? :D

I love watching films.:laugh:

Sookie
07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Rango - Beautiful looking. Most of the quirks worked for me. A little short on non-visual substance. I'm glad I own it.

Aww, I loved Rango..I'm a bit of a Depp Head though, so I'll admit to being biased there.

Ownagedood
07-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I saw Cowboys vs. Aliens last night.. It wasn't worth the midnight preview my friends suckered me into doing, especially with work early this morning, but it was pretty good. Would have been better at say 8pm instead of 1 am tho. :)

Unless you hate movies like that i would recommend catching it sometime. Daniel Craig was awesome.

Kegboy
07-30-2011, 02:14 PM
Cowboys and Aliens

Liked it alot more than I thought I would. Cast does a great job, especially Ford. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a role of his this much, and you kind of get the feeling you could say the same for him.

I will say, if you're going more for the sci-fi than the western elements, you'll be disappointed.

hoosierguy
07-30-2011, 07:54 PM
Cowboys and Aliens

Easily right up there with The Green Lantern as the worst big budget movie of the summer. At least Transformers 3 had good special effects despite having a plot written by a five year old on Ritalin.

Someone needs to put Jon Favreau in a padded cell. How the hell did he convince Hollywood he could direct?

rexnom
07-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Agree wholeheartedly with the Captain America praise. The scene where the airborne division reacts to his show contrasted to how the American public reacted was very, very well done. They did an excellent job of capturing the ironic patriotism of Cap from the comics (and especially the Civil War).

graphic-er
07-31-2011, 12:49 AM
Captain America - pretty good overall. Not sure how getting injected with a super serum means you can use that metal shield in ways that take years of practice and training. But I liked overall.

Questions:
1: Does Captain America actually age at all? The gene in the serum has healing abilities, so that would make him like Wolverine?
2. Does this healing ability make him hard to kill with bullets?

A fleeting thought as i left the theater. Buying war bonds was such a huge deal in WW2 a very patriotic thing to do back then, imagine the idea of paying for our numerous present day invasions with war bonds. We seem to have no end of Americans who say they support the troops and they put the bumper sticker on their cars, the government is really missing a huge revenue opportunity these days.

Trader Joe
08-01-2011, 10:29 AM
Saw Captain America on Friday.

I, like everyone else apparently, left very pleased with it. I look forward to the Avengers movie. Should be a great contrast between Cap and Iron Man.

cdash
08-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Cowboys and Aliens

Easily right up there with The Green Lantern as the worst big budget movie of the summer. At least Transformers 3 had good special effects despite having a plot written by a five year old on Ritalin.

Someone needs to put Jon Favreau in a padded cell. How the hell did he convince Hollywood he could direct?

Iron Man.

More specifically, Robert Downey Jr.'s masterful performance as Tony Stark. He carried that movie and it was a very pleasant surprise of a hit. Favreau directed that, hence the reputation. Deserved or not.

JB24
08-02-2011, 01:59 AM
Horrible Bosses - It was okay. Some really fun parts, some really skippable parts. For whatever reason (studio heads?), Hollywood keeps pumping out poorly written comedy scripts elevated by their casts and directors. Save for the rare Tropic Thunder or Forgetting Sarah Marshall, there are no good comedy scripts being written. The best comedy is obviously on TV currently, maybe it's just a cycle.

Agreed. TV aside, the best-written comedy i've seen of late has all come from across the pond (In The Loop, Four Lions, In Bruges).

AesopRockOn
08-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Iron Man.

More specifically, Robert Downey Jr.'s masterful performance as Tony Stark. He carried that movie and it was a very pleasant surprise of a hit. Favreau directed that, hence the reputation. Deserved or not.

Elf is a delightful movie too.

Captain America: The First Avenger (who isn't super cynical or pissed the **** off) - It's a rare movie that can be terrible and great at the exact same time. This movie is overblown with cliches and cheesiness yet it redeems itself over and over again with near perfect tone, smart pacing, and Chris Evans' strong performance. It felt like a movie from the 40's or 50's with stormtroopers, multicultural inglorious basterds, and Miyazaki-esque aircraft. But it's so entertaining and feel good, that it's tough not to really like it.

SycamoreKen
08-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Goonies

I had never seen it before. My wife was shocked, so we watched it today. It was cute and funny. We were both surprised at the language.

Unclebuck
08-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Crazy, Stupid, Love. I don't know if I liked it or not. It is a romantic comedy and the acting was really good, it was smart, it was enjoyable, and yet something about it I didn't really like. I do know the first 25 minutes or so were slow, really slow, but it picks up after that.

Better than most romantic comedies though

Unclebuck
08-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Rise of Planet of the Apes, without question my favorite movie of the summer, I loved this movie. Surprisingly emotional, great special effects, and extremely involving from start to finish. Can't wait to see it again

Hicks
08-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I thought it was pretty good, too. Pleasant surprise.

Peck
08-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Cowboys & Aliens was the worst film I have seen this year. Just an absolute mess IMO. You'd think that with all of the big names producing, acting and even directing that this would have at least had a chance of being somewhat decent, but I have a feeling this was a case of to many chefs spoil the soup.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes on the other hand was outstanding. A great new telling of the beginning story.

cdash
08-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Elf is a delightful movie too.

I forgot he directed that. Yeah, that was a good movie. I actually don't think Favreau is that bad. I didn't see Cowboys & Aliens and probably won't, but I hope this is an aberration for him. The entire plot seemed asinine from the very beginning.

Hicks
08-06-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm going to wait for video to see it too, but the concept never bothered me in the least. I was just worried about it having a good story, which it sounds like it doesn't have.

Sparhawk
08-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Definitely, Maybe with Ryan Reynolds.

Pretty enjoyable.

joeyd
08-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Rise of Planet of the Apes, without question my favorite movie of the summer, I loved this movie. Surprisingly emotional, great special effects, and extremely involving from start to finish. Can't wait to see it again

Is there "consistency" with the original movie? That is, is the premise of this movie consistent with the premise of the original 1968 film (I did not see the remake)?

Peck
08-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Is there "consistency" with the original movie? That is, is the premise of this movie consistent with the premise of the original 1968 film (I did not see the remake)?

Probably not. Obviously the first film was really about the horrors of nuclear war and it is never said but certainly implied that a great war took place and the earth was devestated by the fallout.

Without spoiling it I'll just say they are going in another & in my mind a more realistic (if such a word can be used for a sci fi movie) direction.

AesopRockOn
08-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I forgot he directed that. Yeah, that was a good movie. I actually don't think Favreau is that bad. I didn't see Cowboys & Aliens and probably won't, but I hope this is an aberration for him. The entire plot seemed asinine from the very beginning.

I honestly didn't think Iron Man 2 was as bad as it is being remembered by many. The visuals/action/sound were really well done. The whole thing was just derailed by the ******** Avengers tie-in that the studio obviously learned from in executing Captain America: The First Virgin Avenger. I'm willing to give Favreau a pass on that; I'm wondering when Jon Lasseter will play this card. If/when I check out C&A (or whatever the hell the Magic Kingdom thing he's doing next is), and it's terrible, then maybe I'll rethink that position.

Super 8 - As a poor man's thinly veiled amalgamation of Speilberg's pre-2000's career, it was pretty entertaining. Full of holes, unbelievability, and moments-that-worked-thirty-years-ago-but-now-feel-chliched-because-that's-what-cliches-****ing-are. There was really good stuff too: that train crash would probably look great on a cell phone camera; most of the stuff with the kids and their movie was fun and engaging; and are you telling me there's another Fanning? Abrams obviously has a great visual style and can get a lot out of his budget. Just give him a good screenwriter and keep him the **** away from Spielberg; in fact, just keep Stephen away from movies for a while. Very mildly recommended.

ECKrueger
08-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Watched Unknown and I liked it. I would however like to watch it again during the day when I am awake. Saw Rango too. Forgettable to me.

Tonight I saw Hall Pass and Cedar Rapids. I enjoyed Cedar Rapids, Hall Pass was eh.

I am wondering what others thought about Cedar Rapids though.

Unclebuck
08-08-2011, 08:28 AM
I did see Cedar Rapids when it was in theaters. I thought it was pretty good, funny, but I liked a few comedies this summer better, such as Bridesmaids, Horrible Bosses and probably even Hangover 2.

AesopRockOn
08-10-2011, 04:19 AM
I am wondering what others thought about Cedar Rapids though.

From page 257 (I think):

Cedar Rapids - Aside from the holy-****-I've-never-cringed-this-much-before Wire references from Whitlock (Sheeeeeeeeeeet!), best comedy of the year so far. (Caveat: haven't seen Bridesmaids yet) Not laugh out loud funny kind of comedy, but smiling, giggling and nodding in approval kind of comedy. Ed Helms is solid as is a surprising Anne Heche. John Reilly steals the show; dude is a golden god. Liked this a lot more than Youth in Revolt. A couple of side characters were wasted and there was a little too much predictability, so it's not perfect. Captured the simple themes of small towns and personal vacations quite well. Highly recommended.

Looking back, I liked it a lot more than the other rated-R comedies that have come out this year. Though they've done well financially, except the Change Up, the overall quality has been mediocre.

bellisimo
08-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Finally got around to Watching Super 8 and X-Men: First Class

X-Men was sooo much better than what I anticipated from the trailers so that was a good surprise for me.

Super 8 was good...it felt like they wanted to go back to the magical 80s era of ET/Gremlins...

Unclebuck
08-15-2011, 08:48 AM
The Help. While I was watching it I loved it, it was funny, it was emotional, it was powerful. But looking back on it a day later it almost feels too much like the Blind Side for me (a movie I did not like). The Help IMO was much better, but I think in an effort to appeal to the masses the comedy was too broad and a few key characters were way over-the-top and they were to silly. But several people in the audience clapped when the movie was over which always bugs me. It is a crowd pleaser for sure. My sense is this movie will do a loot better at the box office than most predicted

Constellations
08-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Hot Tub Time Machine

Loved it. Hilarious 4.5/5

joeyd
08-15-2011, 10:46 PM
I have finally worked my way through all 7 of the Harry Potter movies and am looking forward to catching the last one on the big screen before it goes to DVD.

I have not read any of the previous posts about the movie for fear of reading potential spoilers, but I do have a question?

Is IMAX and 3-D really worth it for Deathly Hallows Part II?

I would hate to miss it in 3-D or on IMAX if people think it is worth seeing it in those formats.

Opinions?

Kegboy
08-16-2011, 10:20 AM
I have finally worked my way through all 7 of the Harry Potter movies and am looking forward to catching the last one on the big screen before it goes to DVD.

I have not read any of the previous posts about the movie for fear of reading potential spoilers, but I do have a question?

Is IMAX and 3-D really worth it for Deathly Hallows Part II?

I would hate to miss it in 3-D or on IMAX if people think it is worth seeing it in those formats.

Opinions?

I didn't see it in either, but I would think the movie is too dark for 3D. The movie wasn't shot for either, so I would recommend saving your money and seeing it natural.

Constellations
08-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Resident Evil

joeyd
08-17-2011, 10:18 PM
I didn't see it in either, but I would think the movie is too dark for 3D. The movie wasn't shot for either, so I would recommend saving your money and seeing it natural.

Wow, people have diametrically opposed feelings about this. Some folks at work saw it on the IMAX screen and raved about it. Guess I will take the gamble this weekend.

Constellations
08-18-2011, 03:55 PM
Blade II

Constellations
08-18-2011, 06:23 PM
I'm thinking about watching the Hellboy series. Anybody seen it that can give some info? Good or bad?

Sparhawk
08-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I'm thinking about watching the Hellboy series. Anybody seen it that can give some info? Good or bad?

First one was great, the second was ok.

Hicks
08-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Would have liked to have checked out Fright Night this evening, but my preferred theater thought it was wise to divide the screenings throughout the day between 3D and normal, with no over lap, so by the time I was free tonight, my only choices were 3D, which I do not want, and will not pay extra for, either.

So.... maybe sometime later this week. *grumble*

joeyd
08-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Would have liked to have checked out Fright Night this evening, but my preferred theater thought it was wise to divide the screenings throughout the day between 3D and normal, with no over lap, so by the time I was free tonight, my only choices were 3D, which I do not want, and will not pay extra for, either.

So.... maybe sometime later this week. *grumble*

Well, you can save yourself even the price of a 2-D movie ticket and catch the original on Comcast (on demand) for free if you subscribe to it. I saw the original in the theaters when it first came out, and it is still one of my favorite movies.

As for my movie-going self, it all ends tomorrow...Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II on the IMAX screen in 3-D.

AesopRockOn
08-21-2011, 12:32 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - If this movie hadn't been built up so much for me, I probably would have enjoyed it. However, because of all of the positive reviews and the recommendations, I overanalyzed it and found it lacking. I can't believe I'm expecting more from a Planet of the Apes movie, but it should have been just about the apes, with a minimal amount of humans, and better detailing of how they actually rose instead of just the apes beating up cops and crashing a helicopter, climbing trees, and having humanity killed off in the credits in a predictably and ridiculously stupid way. I'm bummed out. It was funny watching Andy Serkis as a human act like an ape acting like a human.

I don't remember liking either of the Hellboys. The only movie of Del Toro's I like is Pan's, and the best movie he's been involved with is The Orphanage.

joeyd
08-21-2011, 05:10 PM
For those that have been on the fence about how to view HP and the Deathly Hallows Pt. II, I just saw it today....I recommend seeing it in 3D while on the IMAX, while you can. IMO, it was worth the extra coin. Don't go with the expectation of great "fly in your face" effects" but if you appreciate the sense of depth in terms of scenery and the depth of characters that can also be conveyed by 3 D, you will enjoy it. I have a feeling it will not be playing at IMAX theaters much longer, as there were only about 20 folks viewing the showing today, and most theaters no longer run late showings.

Sparhawk
08-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Yes, Man.

I actually enjoyed the movie. I thought this was going to be exactly like Liar, Liar, but it wasn't. It was a more dramatical/every man role mixing in some comedy, and it was a nice change. He's been hit or miss when he goes all out zany humor/crazy face making.

Oh, and also saw Black Swan. I couldn't figure out what was real/fake until the ending. I thought the beginning and ending were excellent, but the middle got to be a bit slow for me. Lesbian scene wasn't exactly what I was hoping for...which I shouldn't have been hoping for too much. On second thought, it's good to know I'm still perverted!

bellisimo
08-22-2011, 06:17 AM
When in Rome - bleh I stopped watching it half way through.

Just Go with it - it was OK to pass the time but nothing really memorable.

Super - A lot darker than I anticipated. Interesting take on comic book heroes.

graphic-er
08-22-2011, 12:58 PM
"Super" with Rainn Wilson

Disturbingly interesting.

SHUT UP CRIME!

Hicks
08-22-2011, 01:00 PM
What are my VOD options to watch Super these days?

duke dynamite
08-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Doctor Who: The End of Time

I've been catching up on the show, up to Series 5 (2010) with Matt Smith. As a sci-fi fan growing up I can't believe I wasn't interested in this show sooner.

graphic-er
08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
What are my VOD options to watch Super these days?

I watched it on Comcast On Demand - same day as DVD section

Skaut_Ech
08-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Doctor Who: The End of Time

I've been catching up on the show, up to Series 5 (2010) with Matt Smith. As a sci-fi fan growing up I can't believe I wasn't interested in this show sooner.

Glad to see another Who fan. EVERY time I mention the show to anyone, I just get a blank look in response. As much as I loved Tennant as Who, I REALLY loved Eccleston. I started watching with him and got hooked.

I'm kinda like you, I devour anything sci-fi and never paid one whit of attention to Dr. Who. When I was a kid, I used to watch the Goodies, then Benny Hill on PBS. Dr. Who was the third show of the evening and I always turned it off. Don't know why.

Although I really like this fifth season, and despite the public love for Matt Smith, I still can't quite cultivate a love for him. I can't wait for you to see River Song.

Hicks
08-22-2011, 02:49 PM
I'm someone else who has just never given Dr. Who a look. I suppose one day I will.

duke dynamite
08-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Glad to see another Who fan. EVERY time I mention the show to anyone, I just get a blank look in response. As much as I loved Tennant as Who, I REALLY loved Eccleston. I started watching with him and got hooked.

I'm kinda like you, I devour anything sci-fi and never paid one whit of attention to Dr. Who. When I was a kid, I used to watch the Goodies, then Benny Hill on PBS. Dr. Who was the third show of the evening and I always turned it off. Don't know why.

Although I really like this fifth season, and despite the public love for Matt Smith, I still can't quite cultivate a love for him. I can't wait for you to see River Song.

I'm someone else who has just never given Dr. Who a look. I suppose one day I will.

I started with Eccleston in season one back in February. I've seen the 1996 special with the "Eighth" Doctor. Quite interesting. I love how each incarnation of The Doctor is the same person, just a different physical appearance and personality.

David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor is arguably the best Doctor ever, and since now I am getting into the Matt Smith/Steven Moffat era I've grown to like the Eleventh Doctor. River Song was in Series 4, The Library. I heard mixed reactions about her.

The U.S.' largest Doctor Who shop is based in Indianapolis. They have a full-size TARDIS (Hicks, The Doctor's vessel, the time machine TARDIS. It stands for Time and Relative Dimension in Space. It's modeled after an old 1950's British Police Box. It's stayed the same since the first series that started in the 60's.). It's pretty great. www.whona.com (http://www.whona.com) is their site. This is the TARDIS:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/TARDIS1.jpg

One thing I have found is you have to be very careful calling it "Dr. Who", abbrevating Doctor. A lot of the diehards get offended. Since his name is "The Doctor". Odd, but oh well.

BTW, Hicks, Doctor Who is on Netflix Instant Watch. Series 1-5 is on there. Plus the specials. You will get many hours of great watching out of it.

Suaveness
08-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Dr. Who is awesome

Sparhawk
08-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Limitless

Really enjoyed the movie. Definitely worth the rent, but it's not a movie I'd go and buy.

Unclebuck
08-25-2011, 02:14 PM
I've watched Dr. Who a few times and while there are certainly a lot of shows that are a lot worse, I didn't like Dr. Who.

Stryder
08-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I"m renting some movies this weekend. Give me some ideas....

Drama?
Comedy?
Horror?

Constellations
08-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Rock Star

Sparhawk
08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Watch Mr. Baseball last night. Love that movie!

ECKrueger
08-28-2011, 11:33 AM
I want to see Super, but I just watched Paul. Eh.

ErikD.
08-28-2011, 03:24 PM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - If this movie hadn't been built up so much for me, I probably would have enjoyed it. However, because of all of the positive reviews and the recommendations, I overanalyzed it and found it lacking. I can't believe I'm expecting more from a Planet of the Apes movie, but it should have been just about the apes, with a minimal amount of humans, and better detailing of how they actually rose instead of just the apes beating up cops and crashing a helicopter, climbing trees, and having humanity killed off in the credits in a predictably and ridiculously stupid way. I'm bummed out. It was funny watching Andy Serkis as a human act like an ape acting like a human.

I loved it. It may be because the old POTA's were on t.v. so much when I was a kid that the fondness for the story was already set in. I didn't check out any reviews on it beforehand so I didn't have too many expectations going into it. I thought that they did an excellent job with this movie. I happened to watch the original on Netflix a few months ago after not seeing it for years. I can't believe how bad of an actor Charlton Heston is. It's still worth going back to watch before going to see the new one so you can recognize a few of the parallels that are there.

ilive4sports
08-29-2011, 03:47 AM
Limitless. I enjoyed it, wish I had some of those pills

bellisimo
08-29-2011, 05:30 AM
Pirates of the Carribean 4 - I don't know why I bother with this movie franchise, the previous 3 never caught my eye yet I still gave this one a go...I just don't really care for anyone of the characters in this franchise...

graphic-er
08-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Just watched Hall Pass this past weekend. Wow what a funny movie. Surprisingly more raunchy than I expected. You'll love the golfing scenes. The ending leaves you wanting a bit more accountability from the 2 wives.

Also watched Something Borrowed typical chick flick, but full of characters who honestly deserve all the crap that happens to them. Even though it has somewhat of a happy ending, it really left me feeling pissed with the way it wrapped up. Its like she didn't learn a thing. Not surprised that John Krasinski and his character completely stole the movie from a humor stand point and saved this film. Even though he played a more minor role. The wrap up of his story line with his sudden confession was border line ridiculousness and just seemed thrown in at the end of the script and not thought out or hinted to at all in the previous scenes.

Unclebuck
08-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Also watched Something Borrowed typical chick flick, but full of characters who honestly deserve all the crap that happens to them. Even though it has somewhat of a happy ending, it really left me feeling pissed with the way it wrapped up. Its like she didn't learn a thing. Not surprised that John Krasinski and his character completely stole the movie from a humor stand point and saved this film. Even though he played a more minor role. The wrap up of his story line with his sudden confession was border line ridiculousness and just seemed thrown in at the end of the script and not thought out or hinted to at all in the previous scenes.

I also am sorry to say I watched this movie. I often expect movie chracters to be dumb, but this movie was beyond that. And yes John Krasinski did steal the movie. But everyone else in the movie was too stupid to live

graphic-er
08-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Really surprised that John Krasinski has not had more leading roles in movies in recent years. He had that one romantic comedy with Many Moore and Robin Williams. Then that one independent film with Maya Rudolph "Away we Go". Strange for such an actor who obviously has big screen talent to go largely unnoticed.

graphic-er
08-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Another movie i am looking forward to watching but just won't shell the $5.99 to rent it on demand is "Cedar Rapids" with Ed Helms and John C Reilly. Looks like just one of those absurd comedies with a great cast doing their thing. only 89 minutes though, so I have hard time justifying the on demand price. I usually like my on demand moves to be over 90 minutes so I feel like our $6.00 was well spent. Might have to what until its on HBO, Cinemax, etc.... movie channels.

Sparhawk
08-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Another movie i am looking forward to watching but just won't shell the $5.99 to rent it on demand is "Cedar Rapids" with Ed Helms and John C Reilly. Looks like just one of those absurd comedies with a great cast doing their thing. only 89 minutes though, so I have hard time justifying the on demand price. I usually like my on demand moves to be over 90 minutes so I feel like our $6.00 was well spent. Might have to what until its on HBO, Cinemax, etc.... movie channels.

I thinks that's available to stream on Netflix. If I get a chance to watch it over the next couple of days, I'll let you know how it is. It's not on Redbox?

graphic-er
08-29-2011, 01:53 PM
I thinks that's available to stream on Netflix. If I get a chance to watch it over the next couple of days, I'll let you know how it is. It's not on Redbox?

Well we never really bother with Red box because we pretty much have every premium movie channel for free. Haven't been to a red box in several years.

Peck
08-29-2011, 04:50 PM
I loved it. It may be because the old POTA's were on t.v. so much when I was a kid that the fondness for the story was already set in. I didn't check out any reviews on it beforehand so I didn't have too many expectations going into it. I thought that they did an excellent job with this movie. I happened to watch the original on Netflix a few months ago after not seeing it for years. I can't believe how bad of an actor Charlton Heston is. It's still worth going back to watch before going to see the new one so you can recognize a few of the parallels that are there.

:-o:-o What??????

Constellations
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Se7en

One of my favorites. 6/5

AesopRockOn
08-30-2011, 03:04 AM
13 Assassins - Kind of comparable to Kill Bill 1 in that it's a ton of hit or miss build-up and then an intricately planned and executed battle scene that reigns supreme. Seriously, if you have Netflix, at least just watch the last 45 minutes. It's pretty spectacular. Though missing the defending-the-village element of Seven Samurai, it still owes a lot to that film in terms of having great fighting while keeping the editing tight enough so that you can actually follow the battle. I'll probably check out more of Miike's work.

Ordered Super a while ago (my review (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=1228062&postcount=6321) from back in April). It should be arriving with X-Men: F. Classbender next month.

ECKrueger
08-30-2011, 05:56 PM
Well we never really bother with Red box because we pretty much have every premium movie channel for free. Haven't been to a red box in several years.

If you really want to see it I'd go to a redbox. It is only $1.

http://www.redbox.com/movies/cedar-rapids

Constellations
08-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Mortal Kombat & Mortal Kombat Annihilation

Unclebuck
09-02-2011, 03:21 PM
One thing I have never understood.

Why is Labor Day weekend so bad at the box office while Memorial Day weekend is so good. I realize they never open any blockbuster movies on Labor day weekend. But the studios would put their expected blockbuster movies on if they thought people were inclined to want to go to movies over Labor Day.

Anyone have any ideas?

You look at all the other holiday weekends and they are usually big. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, even some of the lesser holidays boost the weekends, like Valentines day, and a few others.

Constellations
09-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Why is Labor Day weekend so bad at the box office while Memorial Day weekend is so good. I realize they never start any blockbuster movies on Labor day weekend. But the studios would put their expected blockbuster movies on if they thought people were inclined to want to go to movies.

Anyone have any ideas?

You look at all the other holiday weekend and they are usually big. Thanksgiving, Christmas, News years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, even some of the lesser holidays boost the weekends, like Valentines day, and a few others.

I work on all those days. :mad:

AesopRockOn
09-04-2011, 02:30 AM
Pir4tes - I had forgotten that I had watched this.

Insidious - The first half was pretty well done haunted house horror and the second half was silly 80s style creeper horror. I enjoyed it.

Attack the Block - Best movie of the year. (Disclaimer: haven't seen the new Harry Potter.) X-Men: First Class was poised to be my favorite film of this year, but AtB may surpass it with future viewings. It's just pitch ****ing perfect. An incredibly successful combination of The Goonies mixed with major elements from The Wire all wrapped up in a creatively executed alien invasion premise. As soon as it's available to purchase, I will do so. Haven't had my socks knocked off like that since District 9, bruv, believe it!

bellisimo
09-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Rise of the Planet of the Apes - it was better than that disaster of a movie with MarkyMark a few decades ago but I felt a bit disappointed...most likely cause of the hype it had gotten. The ending just seemed a bit empty.

Hicks
09-04-2011, 12:36 PM
I did rent Super last weekend. Yet again a movie where a guy wants to be a superhero is done in ways I wouldn't do it if it were me, or at least what I still want to see someone else do. Once again they made him weird and comedic, and in this case he and his partner were surprisingly psychotic at times, and the whole thing just had a weird (not to mention unexpectedly graphically violent) vibe to it. Still, it didn't suck or anything, but I won't be going out of my way to see it again.

Red State I rented this week, and it was just so-so. I'd have to watch it again to get too specific into the likes/dislikes right now, but I recall feeling like the writing just wasn't that great at times. Particularly how the climax is resolved.

jeffg-body
09-05-2011, 05:21 AM
Gran Torino

ilive4sports
09-05-2011, 05:51 AM
Unknown

Eh, it was a movie.

Constellations
09-05-2011, 07:41 PM
Strangeland

Loved it.

pacer4ever
09-06-2011, 02:32 AM
Apollo 18

very poorly done. Apollo 13 you get to meet the charterers a little bit and grow to like them. In this movie it starts in space and you dont learn much about them I just though it was very poorly done and not very good.

Unclebuck
09-06-2011, 09:07 AM
I saw a really good movie over the weekend. Win Win http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/win_win_2011/

Not really a sports movie, more of a human drama. Very well written, type of movie I like when done well.

Stryder
09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
Apollo 18

very poorly done. Apollo 13 you get to meet the charterers a little bit and grow to like them. In this movie it starts in space and you dont learn much about them I just though it was very poorly done and not very good.

Aren't they really two different movies though? One is based on a true story; the other is a made up conspiracy theory story.

pacer4ever
09-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Aren't they really two different movies though? One is based on a true story; the other is a made up conspiracy theory story.

ya but I just dont like how they did it. It is a genre that i haven't seen before. But at the end they show the 3 people and said they died in an accident so I dont know why you couldn't get to know them a little bit. The movie was very short they could of added on. I don't even know how to describe the genre it was just odd.

Natston
09-07-2011, 02:48 AM

Why is Labor Day weekend so bad at the box office while Memorial Day weekend is so good. I realize they never open any blockbuster movies on Labor day weekend. But the studios would put their expected blockbuster movies on if they thought people were inclined to want to go to movies over Labor Day.

Anyone have any ideas?

You look at all the other holiday weekends and they are usually big. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Memorial Day, 4th of July, even some of the lesser holidays boost the weekends, like Valentines day, and a few others.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/05/business/media/summer-movie-attendance-continues-to-erode.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all

AesopRockOn
09-07-2011, 03:20 AM
ya but I just dont like how they did it. It is a genre that i haven't seen before. But at the end they show the 3 people and said they died in an accident so I dont know why you couldn't get to know them a little bit. The movie was very short they could of added on. I don't even know how to describe the genre it was just odd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_footage_(genre) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_footage_%28genre%29)

If you've seen Cloverfield, you've seen the best the English-speaking side of the genre has to offer. If you can work with subtitles, REC is the best horror movie I've ever seen.

pacer4ever
09-07-2011, 08:25 AM
rise of the planets of the apes

I give it a 10/10 a great movie

pacer4ever
09-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Crazy Stupid Love

may be the funniest movie I have seen all year. It ranks up there with horrible bosses as the best comedy of the year. It isn't realistic at all but it is very funny. Kind of like Jerry Spring made into a movie very funny.

Unclebuck
09-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Crazy Stupid Love

may be the funniest movie I have seen all year. It ranks up there with horrible bosses as the best comedy of the year. It isn't realistic at all but it is very funny. Kind of like Jerry Spring made into a movie very funny.

Here is what I posted about the movie a month ago.

Crazy, Stupid, Love. I don't know if I liked it or not. It is a romantic comedy and the acting was really good, it was smart, it was enjoyable, and yet something about it I didn't really like. I do know the first 25 minutes or so were slow, really slow, but it picks up after that.

Better than most romantic comedies though

I didn't think it was very funny though, well done, smart, pretty good, but not very funny. Just interesting how movies are perceived differently

<!-- / message -->

Kegboy
09-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Warrior

Pretty impressive. I just wish directors would remember how to shoot action without relying on shaky cams.

Stryder
09-09-2011, 09:27 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_footage_(genre) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_footage_%28genre%29)

If you've seen Cloverfield, you've seen the best the English-speaking side of the genre has to offer. If you can work with subtitles, REC is the best horror movie I've ever seen.

Agree and Agree. REC was very good.

Hicks
09-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Warrior

Pretty impressive. I just wish directors would remember how to shoot action without relying on shaky cams.

How do you think Hardy will do as Bane?

Kegboy
09-10-2011, 09:37 AM
How do you think Hardy will do as Bane?

Physically he's a beast, not just the muscle, but how he holds himself. His character is practically feral, and he sells it in spades. If this were the only time I'd seen Hardy, I'd be concerned he couldn't play the intellectual side, not his physicality. He's a little short, but Hollywood's never had a problem masking that.

There's no doubt in my mind he can play Bane as one scary SOB. He damn near kills more than one guy in the ring in this, and it's completely believable. I could easily see him breaking Batman's back.

Mourning
09-11-2011, 03:47 AM
"Sucker Punch" I thought it was enjoyable. Particularly liked how they choreographed the action scenes, liked the shots and the special effects not too mention the songs and especially the remixes of some really good songs.

Not a superb movie, but I liked it enough to have a good 90+ minutes.

Mackey_Rose
09-12-2011, 08:31 AM
I saw Contagion this weekend. It made me want to walk out of the theater and wash my hands.

So I guess that means it was good?

bellisimo
09-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Thor
not bad...I'm not too keen on comic book movies with mystical realms...even with that though it was still satisfactory as a movie.

Unclebuck
09-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I saw Contagion this weekend. It made me want to walk out of the theater and wash my hands.

So I guess that means it was good?

I saw it also.

It was OK, well made movie, but didn't really grab me. I wish I had seen Warrior instead.

Really looking forward to seeing Drive

Stryder
09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
I saw it also.

It was OK, well made movie, but didn't really grab me. I wish I had seen Warrior instead.

Really looking forward to seeing Drive

I'm hoping to see Warrior and Contagion this week. And possibly Drive next week.

Constellations
09-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm so sorry about that. Friend hopped on an un-attended computer while I was in the bathroom.

Constellations
09-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Anybody see Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star?

Stryder
09-13-2011, 11:37 AM
Anybody see Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star?

Looks like it could be the worst movie of all time. Previews are horrible.

Trader Joe
09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I saw Contagion this weekend...

I kept waiting for the twist, and waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and IT NEVER CAME! IT NEVER CAME!!! IT NEVER CAME!!!! I wanted to cry.

Constellations
09-13-2011, 08:03 PM
The Departed

Officially in my top 5 favorite movies. 10/5

Constellations
09-13-2011, 08:31 PM
Has anybody seen "The Planet of the Apes" (2001) ? If so, send me some feedback on it because I'm thinking about watching it.

Peck
09-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Has anybody seen "The Planet of the Apes" (2001) ? If so, send me some feedback on it because I'm thinking about watching it.

Meh, generic. Not offensive, not superb.

If you've never seen it I would say it's worth sitting through.

ilive4sports
09-14-2011, 03:03 AM
Looks like it could be the worst movie of all time. Previews are horrible.

This is just one of those movies Adam Sandler makes to get his friends paid.

And it probably wont be the worst movie of the year as Real Steel should be taking that title.

Bball
09-14-2011, 11:10 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.77591e6bbe1ccd5c2f79f962f82a47e c.b11&show_article=1

Freidken doesn't like Hollywood's trend towards comic book movies...