PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Kegboy
03-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Okay, since we can't seem to get off the topic, I have a question. Which is the real British period piece, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves or Robin Hood: Men in Tights? Sure, Thieves was shot on location and had the sweeping vistas, but Tights had a leading man with a convincing British accent.

Feel free to discuss for the next six pages.

Suaveness
03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Robin Hood: Men in Tights is the greatest.

Manly men.

cdash
03-03-2011, 03:30 AM
I just saw 127 Hours for the first time. Wow. Beautiful movie. Ended up getting wrapped up in the whole thing and watching the nearly two hours of the Dateline special 6 months after the accident in which Ralston goes back to the canyon. Kind of puts things in perspective.

AesopRockOn
03-04-2011, 04:41 AM
No, only the final one did.

Sorry, UB. That was a joke about the length of and amount of endings in that particular movie. I personally thought it should have gotten two statues.

Inside Job - Watched it on account of it winning the Oscar. It was good, informative, and at many times compelling. I always mix up CDOs and CDSs. But I wasn't with it all the way. Mostly because I'm not active reviling Wall Street every second of my day. Ferguson seemed to be wanting to do his best Michael Moore impression, but he just isn't as charismatic. What should come off as smugly noble is actually kind of whiny and uphelpful. The movie's message is: **** Wall Street, regulate more, throw some people in jail so I can feel better about it, and **** Wall Street. Exit Through the Gift Shop is about 3 or 4 times better...

Tangled - Maybe I went in with too-high expectations. Parts of it are tremendous. Much of the animation (especially a sequence with lanterns), a few side characters (one in particular), and the action/adventure elements were fantastic. The first act and most of the songs are pretty bad. A slight step down from Bolt and Princess & the Frog. What makes these Disney movies are humorous side characters, great villians, and the musical numbers. This movie batted .333.

pacers74
03-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I just saw 127 Hours for the first time. Wow. Beautiful movie. Ended up getting wrapped up in the whole thing and watching the nearly two hours of the Dateline special 6 months after the accident in which Ralston goes back to the canyon. Kind of puts things in perspective.

I did the same thing. The movie was good, but the Dateline special was even better.

joeyd
03-05-2011, 01:04 AM
Finally saw Knight and Day. Better than I expected. Tonight was a
"suspension of disbelief" night.

Unclebuck
03-11-2011, 11:51 PM
Battle Los Angeles

This movie was maddening. It was very good for the first 2/3. It had a real feeling to it, some great battle scenes, they even allowed the soundtrack and dialogue to go slient a few tims to build a little suspense. But then the last 35 minutes or so it changed into an over-the-top rah-rah something. There was one scene that was supposed to be the dramactic high point and it was laughable, seriously, several in the audience laughed.

Too bad because it was really good for the first hour and 15 minutes

imawhat
03-11-2011, 11:54 PM
The Inside Job. If people could truly and easily understand what is going on, there'd be a revolution.

AesopRockOn
03-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Battle Los Angeles

This movie was maddening. It was very good for the first 2/3. It had a real feeling to it, some great battle scenes, they even allowed the soundtrack and dialogue to go slient a few tims to build a little suspense. But then the last 35 minutes or so it changed into an over-the-top rah-rah something. There was one scene that was supposed to be the dramactic high point and it was laughable, seriously, several in the audience laughed.

Too bad because it was really good for the first hour and 15 minutes

I've seen comments saying that it's trying to be this generation's Independence Day. Any validity?

Unclebuck
03-12-2011, 12:18 PM
I've seen comments saying that it's trying to be this generation's Independence Day. Any validity?

No, not at all. This was a much smaller movie, just focusing on a small group of marines with only short references to the overall effect of what was going on. I've seen it compared to Black Hawk Down and that is a better comparison for the first hour or so.

Pig Nash
03-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World again. Showed it to two more friends who also loved it.

For me this year it definitely came down to this and The Social Network. TSN is more important and probably made better, but damn if SPvsTW isn't so much fun!

joeyd
03-15-2011, 12:20 AM
I also saw Battle Los Angeles. My son wanted me to take him as he'd been looking forward to seeing it. He enjoyed it. I knew what I was in for going into it, and though it was fairly action packed, I didn't like the first 2/3 of the movie to the extent that UB did, nor did I hate the last 1/3 to the extent he did.

However, I enjoyed ZombieLand even more. Finally got around to popping it in the old DVD player. Great cameo by.....I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it yet.

bellisimo
03-17-2011, 07:48 AM
The Chaperone - It was a good family flick.

Due Date - I enjoyed it for what it was.

Faster - good action movie

Unclebuck
03-19-2011, 09:43 PM
The Adjustment Bureau. No, movie didn't work. It wasn't horrible, but after about an hour I just lost interest in what was going on.

SycamoreKen
03-20-2011, 12:29 AM
The Other Guys It was entetaining and had a few laughs.

AesopRockOn
03-20-2011, 12:53 AM
I'd be interested to hear what anybody has to say about Limitless. Spill.com crew reviewed it and compared it to Fight Club...

Pig Nash
03-20-2011, 02:01 AM
My go to critic James Beradinelli says "For a plot about super-intelligent people, the screenplay is surprisingly dumb" so I'm not super excited about it.

AesopRockOn
03-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Season of the Witch - Definitely falling into the 'So bad, it's pretty awesome' category. It sort of floats between knowing it's silly and being kind of serious, so it's no Jonah Hex. However, it's still a great 'have some beers and laugh at it' movie; Nic Cage and Ron Pearlman are fun buddy Crusaders. The wolves animorphing into dirtier wolves and the final voiceover nailed it for me.

Paul - I'm kind of ending up on the 'meh' side of this movie. It was fun and entertaining. Everyone in it is good, especially Rogen, Frost, & Pegg. But you can't help but compare it to Edgar Wright's movies, which are in-depth genre homages/entries that are satisfying either way. This movie is one long wink to nerddom, but not a very original or interesting one. It's too immature without Wright's influence; plus, it's rated 'R' for no real reason. I wouldn't recommend rushing out to see it. Kind of disappointing since Mottola was shaping up to be a John Hughes-esque director.

Constellations
03-24-2011, 06:17 AM
Wedding Crashers

Never, and I mean NEVER, gets old.

Kegboy
03-26-2011, 01:29 PM
Sucker Punch - An hour and a half music video of geek masturbatory material, followed by an abruptly serious ending that isn't earned and doesn't fit what came before. I wish I could say it works, but it really doesn't.

The Lincoln Lawyer - An enjoyable, pulpy legal thriller in the old-school Grisham tradition. A great cast makes up for a talky script that doesn't do enough to properly establish characters while the plot rushes by. However, I can't help but shake the feeling it's a good adaptation of a much better book.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - What an incredibly strange film. I know the writer has done a number of quirky action films, starting with Lethal Weapon. However, this is his only directoral effort, which after seeing it makes the notion he may helm Iron Man 3 feel a little freaky.

Unclebuck
03-26-2011, 11:49 PM
I really liked The Lincoln Lawyer. Certainly not a great movie, but very effective and held my attention the whole time

Hicks
03-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Paul.

Eh. Not bad, enjoyed it I guess, but it wasn't stand out, I didn't laugh a lot, and I was distracted by the politics of the writers of the movie. Felt like one of their running jokes was more than just a joke, but how they actually felt about a group of people (actually, come to think of it, two groups of people), and it was in a way I found somewhat upsetting.

I don't want to get into a political discussion, so I won't say more.

Unclebuck
03-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Saw Limitless.

Overall I liked it, had so many different elements to it, it is tough to describe. I would recommend it. Overall though I enjoyed Lincoln Lawyer a little more

Diamond Dave
03-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Recently watched The Fighter. Was not sure what I was getting into other than a boxing movie with Marky Mark minus the Funky Bunch.

Excellent. Christain Bale was outstanding and I'm not a Bale fan. He physically changed himself in such a way that initially I didn't realize who it was, and it wasn't because he bulked up for the role.

I did not realize the film was based on the life of Mickey Ward prior to watching it. Wahlberg directed and did a fabulous job. Highly recommend this film.

AesopRockOn
04-01-2011, 04:11 AM
I did not realize the film was based on the life of Mickey Ward prior to watching it. Wahlberg directed and did a fabulous job. Highly recommend this film.

Marky Mark produced. David O Russell (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0751102/)directed. :)

Trader Joe
04-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Recently watched The Fighter. Was not sure what I was getting into other than a boxing movie with Marky Mark minus the Funky Bunch.

Excellent. Christain Bale was outstanding and I'm not a Bale fan. He physically changed himself in such a way that initially I didn't realize who it was, and it wasn't because he bulked up for the role.

Bale is a master at changing his body for roles.

Ever seen the Machinist? He did that right before the first Batman movie. Try to imagine the work he would have to put in to change for that.

AesopRockOn
04-04-2011, 05:35 AM
Battle: Los Angeles - So much fun. Incredibly clichéd dialogue/story/characters. Like laugh-your-***-off, most-cliched-ever level script. If you can't laugh at an Army tank running over aliens while Michelle Rodriguez yells, "OMG, they're going down like bowling pins!" then I don't know if movies are for you. The action and effects are bad-*** enough (Pretty obvious carbon copy of District 9.) to keep you awake. Aaron Eckhart pretty much carries the movie if you're there to take it seriously. But, c'mon, it's hilariously dumb. Marines never quit, and neither should this screenwriter.

bellisimo
04-04-2011, 06:37 AM
Little Fockers - this was actually passed as a movie? De Niro...what are you doing with this flick?!

The Warrior's Way - I really liked this one - had some great visuals.

Unclebuck
04-04-2011, 08:24 AM
Source Code - pretty good, although I would guess some of the time shifting would frustrate some

Sparhawk
04-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Rented the Fighter on blu-ray. Very good movie. Not at all what I was expecting, very little fighting in the movie, and that's ok with me. I'm sorry, but I know there are people that hate Christian Bale. He's definitely a very good actor. Not only can act, but changes his body for the role...seriously can't be healthy to keep doing that.

Mark Whalburg was passable. He plays the same character in every movie just about, but he does it well.

Damn, are the sisters fugly!

Sparhawk
04-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Bale is a master at changing his body for roles.

Ever seen the Machinist? He did that right before the first Batman movie. Try to imagine the work he would have to put in to change for that.

Which is why I said on my post that that cannot be healthy to keep doing that. Just seems like that would do some damage to your body/organs to keep doing that.

Unclebuck
04-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Yeah the Fighter is a good movie, it was nominated for several awards, I don't know why some of you are surprised it was good.

Watched the Lookout again for about the third time, although it had been a few years. Still love that movie

bellisimo
04-06-2011, 05:14 AM
watched I Spit on Your Grave - a bit gruesome for my taste

mattie
04-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Movie suggestions for maybe those who haven't seen older movies:

These movies are really popular, but many young folks have never heard of them. And these movies are truly great! Give them a chance!

Zulu- one of the greatest war movies ever.
The Man Who Would be King- Michael Cane and Sean Connery
The French Connection- Gene Hackman
The Sting- Paul Newman and Robert Redford.. This movie is 10 times better than their famous Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
the original Jackal
The Bridge over the River Kwai- This movie has Obi Won in it.

Some other random movies you may not have seen:
500 Days of Summer
Bandits
Equilibrium
Way of the Gun

and thats all I can think of right now.. having a brain fart.

Pig Nash
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeah the Fighter is a good movie, it was nominated for several awards, I don't know why some of you are surprised it was good.

Watched the Lookout again for about the third time, although it had been a few years. Still love that movie

I like The Lookout as well. Big JGL fan.

I want to see The Fighter but when it came out it looked Oscar-baity and not super good. I'm gun shy on Markie Mark after The Happening.

AesopRockOn
04-09-2011, 06:16 AM
I want to see The Fighter but when it came out it looked Oscar-baity and not super good. I'm gun shy on Markie Mark after The Happening.

It's worth watching multiple times just for Christian Bale's performance. Can't think of an actor whose next movie I'm more looking forward to than his. Maybe RDJ, but after Due Date...

It's also a lot funnier (b/c of David O Russell's direction, though it can be argued that M Night's direction can be equally hilarious) than people have given it credit for, especially in its world building.

jeffg-body
04-10-2011, 11:37 PM
I just recently watched a movie at work about Temple Grandin with Claire Danes in it. It is a pretty good movie and an excellent movie regarding Autism.

ilive4sports
04-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Finally got to see 127 hours. Really liked it. I don't know what I would have done in a situation like that.

SycamoreKen
04-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Toy Story 3. A good wrap up to the series.

Hicks
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
In anticipation of catching Scream 4 on Friday, I decided to re-watch 1, 2, and 3 today.

Can't say that I like these films nearly as much as I did as a teenager, but I'm still glad I'm back up to speed in time for the 4th, which I'm still up for seeing.

Surprisingly, I found I enjoyed 2 the most. Used to think 1 > 2 > > > 3. Now, I wouldn't go so far as to say 2 > 1, but I did enjoy it more, so maybe I'd give it a very weak > 1.

3 still blows compared to those two, but it's not awful.

It's interesting how you pick up on more and more plot holes, even in very good films, the older/wiser you get.

Watching the trailers for 4 and recalling a non-spoiler review I read after an early screening this year, I'm expecting 4 to be like 2, which has me still excited to check it out.

AesopRockOn
04-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Finally got to see 127 hours. Really liked it. I don't know what I would have done in a situation like that.

Definitely would have rubbed one out. :D

bellisimo
04-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Battle: Los Angeles - So much fun. Incredibly clichéd dialogue/story/characters. Like laugh-your-***-off, most-cliched-ever level script. If you can't laugh at an Army tank running over aliens while Michelle Rodriguez yells, "OMG, they're going down like bowling pins!" then I don't know if movies are for you. The action and effects are bad-*** enough (Pretty obvious carbon copy of District 9.) to keep you awake. Aaron Eckhart pretty much carries the movie if you're there to take it seriously. But, c'mon, it's hilariously dumb. Marines never quit, and neither should this screenwriter.

watched it the other day - definitely agree with this review...it felt like a bad made for TV movie for me...

Sparhawk
04-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Got the new version of "Clash of the Titans" as my first DVD from Netflix.

Movie was horrible. They completely sold out on the story to make nonstop action. The original is much much better.

Should be getting Machete by Friday. Really looking forward to that movie.

RWB
04-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Iron Maiden ...Rock in Rio concert dvd.

Editing is so fast I thought I was going to vomit. Seriously, it did cause me to have a headache and not because Maiden is a heavy metal band. I would recommend sticking with just a cd.

joeyd
04-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Should be getting Machete by Friday. Really looking forward to that movie.

If you liked Planet Terror, you won't be sorry about Machete. Rented it first then bought it when our local Blockbuster went out of business. Nearly new copy for $3!!!

bellisimo
04-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Scream 4 - it was good one - didnt feel like a forced follow up

Hicks
04-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I saw Scream 4 on Friday.

Decent. Definitely better than Scream 3, but I still like 1 and 2 better than this one.

I'd rank them something like this:

Scream / Scream 2
Scream 4
Scream 3

I don't feel like getting into nitpick mode, and really I'd have to see 4 another time or two to do it justice anyway, but what bugged me were several little things with regards to some of the lines, line deliveries, and cinematography/direction that I believe, if done differently or removed in some cases with the dialog, it could have been significantly better. I also didn't care for the blonde deputy. She was annoying and felt out of place. Partly that's on the character, but I didn't like how the actress played her, either.

bellisimo
04-19-2011, 08:13 AM
The Green Hornet - silly fun at best....not something i'd watch again...

SycamoreKen
04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
We saw The King's Speech while attending my wife's honor ceremony at UTEP. It deserved the awards and acclaim. A very good movie.

Stryder
04-20-2011, 07:15 AM
The Book of Eli.

Interesting movie. I liked it quite a bit.

Peck
04-20-2011, 04:15 PM
Well I actually watched the Wall Street sequel last night.

I was actually pleasantly suprised for about 80% of the movie. The ending was off because I don't think they knew what they really wanted to do there & I have a feeling this is one of those movies that they did a test audience and determined how to end it after that.

But overall it was nothing like I expected. In fact they really did themselves a disservice with the way they advertised the movie. I won't give away anything if you haven't seen it but Gordon Gecko is not acuratly portrayed in the commercials as to how he is used in the film which was a pleasant suprise.

Also my other biggest fear for the film, he had a Son not a Daughter in the first film, and this was very well explained.

In other words I thought Oliver Stone had lost his mind (what little he had) and forgot his first film. Not at all. In fact there are a lot of characters who re-appear in the film. The real estate agent that sold Bud Fox the condo is the real estate who is there for this one (My God that woman has to be 90).

Also they talk about Bud Fox early on in the show so I thought that was it. The lo & behold at a charity event there is Bud Fox. This scene is classic & explains how Bud didn't really learn any lessons from his time with Gordo.:dance::dance:

Like I said they didn't end it the way I would have preferred but overall this movie was much MUCH MUCH better than I thought it would be.

MagicRat
04-20-2011, 05:00 PM
The Princess Bride.

Better than I thought it would be.

joeyd
04-20-2011, 05:02 PM
The Other Guys. Must-see for Derek Jeter fans.

Unclebuck
04-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Pretty much stop watching movies during the playoffs

bellisimo
04-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Stone with De Niro and Norton...I kept on waiting for something to happen but nothing really did...can't say I quite understood what that movie was about...

pacer4ever
04-21-2011, 03:23 PM
SCREAM4 pretty good movie not as good as scream 1 but still good.

sidney prescott is still as hot as she was 10 years. I liked that the writer and dewy the cop were still there with out the originals this movie would of sucked.
wish they would have let the killer live and be the hero like she wanted. At least have it as an alternate ending.

AesopRockOn
04-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Cashback - It's a movie about an art school student who can (maybe) stop time with his mind and sexually molest women, I mean, paint them during the time. Despite two or three well done scenes and some very important female nudity, this just felt like another indie dramedy written by a guy who thinks he's twice as smart as he actually is. There were things to explore; the filmmaker just didn't follow through. Idiotic ending.

KingGeorge
04-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Just finished watching The Fighter. It definitely wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

JB24
04-28-2011, 03:14 PM
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fifayd7rIwY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fans will love it (on a personal level, favorite film of 2011 thus far) . My only complaint would be the fact that they didn't really explore his relationship with Letterman.

Unclebuck
04-28-2011, 10:22 PM
The early reviews for Thor are excellent

Pig Nash
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
That's good news.

I finally watched The King's Speech. I enjoyed it quite a bit and there are a lot of good performances. But it's nowhere near as important a film as The Social Network and we'll look back and wonder why KS beat it.

Unclebuck
04-29-2011, 09:19 AM
That's good news.

I finally watched The King's Speech. I enjoyed it quite a bit and there are a lot of good performances. But it's nowhere near as important a film as The Social Network and this we'll look back and wonder why this beat it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative (I loved both films and would have been thrilled had either won), but you mention that KS is not nearly as important of a film as SN. OK, fair enough, won't argue with you there, but is that a criteria for best picture? I honestly don't know, but I figure it isn't. Should it be? If you were voting for best picture would you factor in what is a more important film, or simply base your decision on "best film"

Hicks
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
What is important about Social Network? I liked it, I even bought the BD on a whim, but important?

Kegboy
04-29-2011, 10:55 AM
What is important about Social Network? I liked it, I even bought the BD on a whim, but important?

Oh come now. Facebook is much more important than the start of WWII.

:-p

Trader Joe
04-29-2011, 11:00 AM
I think PN is referring to the editing, story telling, score, etc. that is found in the Social Network.

Hicks
04-29-2011, 11:13 AM
Yeah, it did a great job at those things, but what makes the movie "important?"

Trader Joe
04-29-2011, 11:48 AM
A lot of the editing and scoring in that movie are considered very progressive, for example the crew scene in England during the race.

grace
04-29-2011, 11:56 AM
Oh come now. Facebook is much more important than the start of WWII.

:-p

You forgot to put that in green.

avoidingtheclowns
04-29-2011, 04:17 PM
Lots of folks, including some who vote and some who are Pig Nash, feel the Best Picture Oscar should say something about the time/culture in which the award was given. Using that standard, obviously Social Network (which defines a generation) is more important than King's Speech (which is more about a man than WWII). I don't really buy into the belief that Best Picture must be a capsule of the time in which the film came out. I would, however, agree with Nash in saying that I would have given Best Picture to Social Network.

The performances by Firth, Rush and Carter were fantastic, especially considering how paint-by-numbers the rest of the film felt. Ultimately, though, we've seen this type of story (not this specific story) told before...which is fine. At it's core, The Social Network is a pretty basic courtroom drama and we've seen that type of film hundreds of times too. But I think Social Network bests King's Speech in terms of writing, cinematography, editing, scoring and (though the Academy disagreed with me) directing (though I loved Hooper's Damned United). So, for me, Social Network did more to elevate a genre than King's Speech.

Ultimately there were two things Social Network couldn't overcome. The first is a voting base that skews older that has a history of awarding more traditional films compared to something considered more unique (like comparing Trainspotting vs. Slumdog Millionaire). There are also certain themes that the Academy goes bonkers for: hope, history and love. King's Speech covers 75% of those three themes (it's not Titanic-esque epic love but profound friendship would fall under the love umbrella... coincidentally, Love Umbrella is the name of Pig Nash's next album).

Pig Nash
04-29-2011, 10:14 PM
ATC just said that much better than I could hope to. And I liked The Damned United a lot too!

AesopRockOn
04-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Super - Actually went in a little skeptical since the superhero genre needs to end (i.e. it will last for another eight years and then there will be reboots of the ones that didn't make enough money, said the digression). For the most part it's super fresh. I really liked James Gunn's Slither, but it felt a little too content with itself, lacking bravery if you will. Seriously, will you? Super is a quirky indie dramedy on elephant steroids, taking so many opportunities to just **** with the audience, blowing the side of its head off every chance it gets. It's a very satisfying combination of Kick As s and Special. The very end is kind of awful, oddly enough, too fantastical. Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon, Nathan Fillion, great performances all around. Hopefully, Gunn gets the opportunity to something a little bigger with his next project; dude has a great eye for genre.

bellisimo
05-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Kill the Irishman
didn't go in to it with a lot of expectations but came out more than satisfied (TWSS)
nice movie based on a true story.

Bball
05-01-2011, 07:30 AM
The Fighter

Good movie... not great. The pacing felt kind of odd 3/4 of the movie is the downward spiral of Dickie and then he turns it around on a dime AND gets his brother's trust back (and has little problem with the other's in his brother's life either). I probably could've used less downward spiral and more 'road to redemption' to better balance that since the turn around was what ties the movie up in a nice bow.

Christian Bale again manages to put on another skin for a role. I still think Bale can have a tendency to overact or just go over the top at times but the physical effort he has to put into these roles surely shows a dedication to the craft.

Well worth a watch... and I'd think boxing fans would particularly enjoy the film.

Bball
05-03-2011, 04:20 AM
Secretariat

I'm a sucker for these type of sporting movies so I pretty much knew I'd find this enjoyable.

I think this movie could've been done a little better. There was a lot of background but not really meaty background. True or not mostly what was used was the cliched stuff... Husband thinks she needs to be home with the family instead of dealing with the farm and horses after her mother passed and her father in ill health (and ultimately dying himself). And brother arguing to sell the farm/horse to pay family bills).

I can't help to believe there wasn't some more drama to be mined... but that was about it until we get to the horse's 3rd year when a rivalry develops with Sham and his owner.... plus the pressure of needing wins on the biggest stages due to business arrangements made to keep the horse and pay bills. I think probably more could've been done with this 3rd year stuff and less time on the cliched stuff ....

So.... OK movie... Family friendly.... But doesn't rise to the level of Sea Biscuit.

Peck
05-03-2011, 01:34 PM
Got drug to see Rio.

Exactly what you would expect it to be. If you have kids this is a decent movie for them, if your an adult meh...

Constellations
05-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Christmas Vacation

Classic lol.

SycamoreKen
05-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Devil

Much better than I thought it would be. I would recommend it.

Kegboy
05-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Fast Five

Not a fan of the series (only seen the first and fourth, and wasn't impressed with either.) But I listened to the reviews and went, and was glad I did. Yes, it's still utterly ridiculous, but this one was actually a lot of fun. From an action standpoint, it reminds me a lot of older Michael Bay films like The Rock or Bad Boys, before he went crazy with CGI. The vault chase is really tremendous stunt work, and it's no 2-minute scene either, more like 20.

Pig Nash
05-07-2011, 11:52 PM
The Fighter

Good movie elevated to very good by 2 great performances from Leo and Bale. Interesting stuff on the bluray about the actual Micky and Dicky was fun to watch too.

Peck
05-08-2011, 02:12 PM
When I first heard they were making a Thor movie I had very low expectations. I mean how do you make a Thor movie without it either be very cheesy ala the 70's Hulk TV show or without it being a complete & total CGI fest where it is basically an animated movie with just actors on a blue screen?

Then I saw a trailer for the movie & my expectations went from very low to being moderate.

Then I saw that J. Michael Strazenski was going to be one of the writers of the movie and my expectations went from moderate to hopeful.

I then went last night and saw the movie.

I'll say now that my expectations were waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to low.

I want to see it again before I go to overboard in praise. My first reaction upon leaving the theatre was to say that not only was this the best movie adaptation of a comic book hero of all time but it was one of my favorite films of all time.

I'm glad I waited before saying that because in all honesty while there were things that were done to perfection (the portrayal of Loki was so spot on that his performance actually overshadowed Thor's on many occasions) there might be a couple of things I want to think over before I declare Chris Hemsworth's version of Thor better than Toby Maguire’s Spider Man.

If you are a fan of the comic books of Thor at all then this movie is an absolute must. If you are an avengers fan but not a Thor fan this movie is still a must.

Also for those of us who are Avenger fans there were a couple of really fan boy geek out moments.

I had no idea that Hawkeye was going to be in this movie (albeit a short part) and was that big shield agent Luke Cage? Also if you stay past the end credits was that the cosmic cube that they were showing? If so, wow :-o where are they going to go with that?

I won't give away anything to anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet, but I will give you the usual warning. As with all marvel movies you have to stay past the end credits as there is a very important scene for the future.

After a few day's I want to come back to this and see how I feel about the movie then. But right now I can't recommend it highly enough.

Caveat, obviously if you are a person who does not like the comic book genre of movie and prefer movies like snow falling on cedars then this movie may not be for you.

AesopRockOn
05-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Hobo with a Shotgun - Accomplished everything that Robert Rodriguez tried to accomplish with Machete. More of a Troma movie than the Grindhouse stuff you've seen, especially with the insane gore, Robocop-like setting, and silly lines. One of the best post-exploitation movies yet punctuated by a terrific performance by Rutger Hauer. Not much else to say; if it sounds like your kind of movie, you'll probably really enjoy it. Can't give it a higher rating than Super, though.

Unclebuck
05-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I thought Thor was pretty good, but overall seemed very disjointed. The first 30 minutes bored me, then I really enjoyed the milddle third a lot, and then the last 30 minutes was just OK.

but then I'm a tough sell on these type of movies.

bellisimo
05-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Fast Five
it was like Ocean's 11 meets Fast and the Furious. I liked it - it was entertaining and a good way to kick off summer flicks

ilive4sports
05-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Damn Peck, I want to see Thor so badly now. I already did, but reading that makes me want to go now.

Peck
05-09-2011, 12:39 AM
I thought Thor was pretty good, but overall seemed very disjointed. The first 30 minutes bored me, then I really enjoyed the milddle third a lot, and then the last 30 minutes was just OK.

but then I'm a tough sell on these type of movies.

So basically you liked the scene's from Midgard (earth) but did not enjoy the scene's from Asgard.

I see where you would view it as disjointed however from a different point of view I think it was the perfect way to blend the mystical mythical version of Thor with the Earthly version without making it either corny or overly dramatic.

Obviously I enjoyed the entire Lord of the Rings feel to the mythical version.

Hicks
05-09-2011, 07:47 PM
I was the opposite. I really got into the Asgard stuff (which I didn't expect to), and thought the Midgard stuff was less interesting (though I still liked it). The way Loki was done made this a much, much better film than it would have been if they'd just made him another generic "Hey, I'm EVIL!!" bad guy. Good job by the writers and the actor for making him a much better character than he could have been.

joeyd
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I liked Thor, but cannot attest to whether it was a good adaptation of the comic, as I have long forgotten his "Tales to Astonish" origin story.

I guess the only thing I would like to know (without divulging anything to those who have not seen the movie), is this: Shouldn't Loki have been taller? Did I miss something?

Really looking forward to Captain America and the new X-men movie. When I'm 80 years old, I can still see myself going out to see these movies.

Hicks
05-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I have to say, after a LOT of skepticism when it was announced, I'm actually now a little excited to see the new X-Men film. I'd forgotten until recently that Bryan Singer is back to being involved, and from what clips and trailers and interviews I've come across, it shows. I adored X2, and I'm now looking forward to what looks to possibly be another very solid film.

Regarding the other two comic book movies coming along, I'll probably check out both Captain American and Green Lantern, though neither has me excited.

Of the two, I'm definitely more interested in Captain America. Despite all of its flash, Green Lantern looks very boring to me.

With Cap, I have no idea how good or bad it will be, but Marvel movies have mostly gotten it right lately, and after Thor very pleasantly surprising me, I'm more encouraged for Cap coming through as well, though I realize it's a different production.

ilive4sports
05-12-2011, 02:12 AM
I have to say, after a LOT of skepticism when it was announced, I'm actually now a little excited to see the new X-Men film. I'd forgotten until recently that Bryan Singer is back to being involved, and from what clips and trailers and interviews I've come across, it shows. I adored X2, and I'm not looking forward to what looks to possibly be another very solid film.

Regarding the other two comic book movies coming along, I'll probably check out both Captain American and Green Lantern, though neither has me excited.

Of the two, I'm definitely more interested in Captain America. Despite all of its flash, Green Lantern looks very boring to me.

With Cap, I have no idea how good or bad it will be, but Marvel movies have mostly gotten it right lately, and after Thor very pleasantly surprising me, I'm more encouraged for Cap coming through as well, though I realize it's a different production.

I guess I was one of the few pumped for Thor the whole time, and I still need to see it. I'm really looking forward to Captain America. Green Lantern looks ok, idk though.

And the new X Men film gives me hope. X3 was so bad... The new one though, I really like the casting choices.

Bball
05-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Is anyone else feeling we're over-saturated with 'comic book come to life' movies? True, a good movie is a good movie, but how about allowing the genre to breathe a little?

bellisimo
05-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Is anyone else feeling we're over-saturated with 'comic book come to life' movies? True, a good movie is a good movie, but how about allowing the genre to breathe a little?

Hollywood must suck it dry till this genre is as dead as Western movies.

I still can't believe that they're actually going to reboot Spider-Man this soon

Peck
05-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Actually they are kind of lumped together for some reason this year. Last year there were no major comic book movies that I remember at all.

In Marvel's defence there is a reason you are getting a grouping of movies all of a sudden.

Thor, Iron Man, Captain America are all building up to "The Avengers" movie that is coming.

Trader Joe
05-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Last year we saw "Kick-***" which IMO did allow the genre to grow and change a bit.

Trader Joe
05-12-2011, 12:45 PM
And like Peck pointed out, they're building towards the Avengers movie, which will probably make or break how I view this era of superhero flicks.

Hicks
05-12-2011, 01:07 PM
I don't care how many there are as long as it least one of them is good.

This summer we got Thor, so if the others suck, I'm still satisfied. I'll be thrilled if at least one more is as good as Thor.

Next year should be nuts because I believe we have the Avengers AND The Dark Knight Rises AND the new Spider-Man and I believe even more that I'm forgetting. Could be nuts if they're all good.

Though with that said, my expectations for this Spider-Man reboot are incredibly low. I also think this is too soon and not really needed. I didn't like S-M 3 much, but it wasn't Batman & Robin bad. And even the gap between B&R and Batman Begins was still 8 years, I think.

Spider-Man 3 was in 2007. 5 years later a reboot?

Bball
05-12-2011, 01:15 PM

I still can't believe that they're actually going to reboot Spider-Man this soon

Westerns were exactly the comparison I had in my head as well...

joeyd
05-12-2011, 06:13 PM
I had heard that we are seeing a lumping of the Marvel comic adaptations because the writer's strike a couple of years back really affected the production process.

bellisimo
05-13-2011, 05:26 AM
Actually they are kind of lumped together for some reason this year. Last year there were no major comic book movies that I remember at all.

wasn't Iron Man 2 out last year?

Unclebuck
05-13-2011, 09:12 AM
wasn't Iron Man 2 out last year?

yes it was

cdash
05-13-2011, 10:53 AM
I really think the market has become way too saturated with superhero movies. They are entertaining, but I just can't muster up any excitement over any of these movies coming out.

bellisimo
05-13-2011, 10:57 AM
well considering the amount of movies coming out each year, how many are actually comic book movies? I'd say there are as many as romantic comedies if not more coming out...

think comic book movies end up being seen like too much cause they're the ones with the biggest budgets/hype

Skaut_Ech
05-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't think there's an oversaturation at all. In actuality, Comic book movies is a genre that's been pretty much ignored and Hollywood has figured out there's a lot of stories and variations to tell.

I'd say there's more hits than missed when it comes to comic book movies. Just look at the past year or so.

We had Jonah Hex-Sucked
The Losers-Entertaining
Scott Pilgrim vs World-Clever and unique
Iron Man 2-Entertaining, but wildly uneven
Red-Good movie
Kick ***-See Pilgrim
Green Hornet-A different spin on the genre. Okay

If they all were doing the same thing, then I think a valid arguement could be made about oversaturation. In reality, I think, each film has been pretty unique in the genre and shows different facets, unlike a lot of the aforementioned romantic comedies that pretty much plug in the same formula. NOW THAT is a tired genre. Same goes for slasher films, another genre with a plug and play mentality.

Painting comic book movies, and Superhero with such a wide brush does them a disservice. All mysteries aren't the same, are they? Action films?

Thor is a fish out of water tale with a Lords of the Rings kinda slant. How many films are like that?

Captain America is ostensibly a WWII film about a soldier with super abilities. Once again, find another film like that?

Priest is basically a horror film with an action film framework.

Cowboys VS Aliens is another unique spin on a comic book movie.

In terms of straight superhero movies in the classic, broad sense, there's really only Green Lantern, X-Men, Captain America and Thor coming out this year. Four Films.

Four. Films.

Out of the hundreds of films out there, that doesn't strike me as any kind of oversaturation, especially given that Thor and CA were purposefully put out around the same time for marketing reasons, as part of a bigger picture.. (Last year we only had two traditional superhero movies)

And I leave you with this insightful quote:

think comic book movies end up being seen like too much cause they're the ones with the biggest budgets/hype

Far as I'm concerned, bring them on!! It's a genre that's been hugely ignored.

Peck
05-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Man was I ever dissapointed in Jonah Hex. So much to work with and they blew it.

Kegboy
05-13-2011, 03:49 PM

I agree with this assessment. The Asgard stuff just didn't do much for me.

Unclebuck
05-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I try to not judge a movie based upon what genre it is in. But on whether I enjoy the movie, whether it is a good movie.

I loved the Ironman and the two Dark Knight movies. Loved the three Lord of the Ring movies.

I look to see what the critics say about a movie before I go see it. That usually works for me. For example Bridesmaids is getting great reviews, so I'll probably go see it even though most think it is a chic flick

As long as it isn't a Michael Bay directed film. I'll see almost anything.

Green Hornet and Thor were both OK, not great , but not bad

thewholefnshow31
05-13-2011, 04:19 PM
Zombieland

It was pretty funny and kept me entertained.

The Zombie Kill of the week by the nun had me rolling. I definitely did not see that coming.

kester99
05-15-2011, 04:42 AM
The Oxford Murders (2008)

John Hurt and Elijah Wood in an intelligent who-done-it set on the Oxford campus in England.

While I watched this I kept thinking Umberto Eco had something to do with it, but it turns out it's adapted from a novel by Argentine mathemetician Guillermo Martinez. Neveretheless, I have to applaud and recommend a mystery that features the fibonacci sequence and the pythagorean sect.

Fun intellectually and viscerally, as the murders mount and the police receive notes featuring a sequence of symbols from the murderer. Predict the next symbol in the sequence, and solve the murders? Or is there a sophisticated misdirect taking place?

Also, Leonor Watling has nice boobs.

Bball
05-15-2011, 06:23 AM
"Planet of the Apes" (The original 1968 version).

I like it... What can I say?... And I'm not just monkeying around here!

Unclebuck
05-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Bridesmaids. Funniest movie I have seen since The Hangover.

Laughed really hard.

Not a chick flick really.

Judd Aratow is the writer/director

Aw Heck
05-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Bridesmaids. Funniest movie I have seen since The Hangover.

Laughed really hard.

Not a chick flick really.

Judd Aratow is the writer/director
Uh, nope.

Director: Paul Feig

Writers: Kristen Wiig, Annie Mumolo

Though Judd Apatow was a producer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1478338/

joeyd
05-17-2011, 01:34 AM
I heard Nicolas Cage say that he was working on a Ghost Rider sequel. I hope the sequel is better than the first movie.

Probably 3 years off (there's no script yet), but I think that's when we can expect Kill Bill V. 3. No Bill, but there will be few movies that I'll look forward to seeing more than that one.

Wage
05-17-2011, 02:20 AM

Sony has to put out a Spider-Man movie every few years or they lose the rights back to Marvel. Guess they figure the easiest way to crank out a new movie is just to do a reboot.

Constellations
05-17-2011, 02:28 AM
"Little Fockers".

Funny.

Suaveness
05-18-2011, 01:59 PM
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/05/18/the-adventures-of-tintin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn-trailer

As someone who read Tintin as a kid, nothing makes me happier to see this get into a movie, especially done by Spielberg and Peter Jackson. Hooray!!!

spreedom
05-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Saw Thor in theaters, solid 8/10.

Then went home and watched The Fugitive. Big time 10/10.

Skaut_Ech
05-19-2011, 10:33 AM
http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/05/18/the-adventures-of-tintin-the-secret-of-the-unicorn-trailer

As someone who read Tintin as a kid, nothing makes me happier to see this get into a movie, especially done by Spielberg and Peter Jackson. Hooray!!!

I am soOOoooo with you on that, suaveness. I'm surprised Hollywood even remembered Tintin. REALLY fond memories of his books/cartoons. Problem is going to be how it translates to today's generation and I'm a little leery of the motion capture style they're using. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic, with the emphasis on optimistic!

Bball
05-19-2011, 02:45 PM
No idea what/who you guys are talking about... unless it's Rin....

joeyd
05-22-2011, 01:39 AM
Pirates (Stranger Tides)-I liked it. Would rank it somewhere between the first, which I think I liked the most, and the second, which I'd liked as next best. This one had a relatively simple plot to follow. We stayed through the credits and were rewarded with a 20 second snippet, though hard to say what would be developed in a Pirates V flick.

ilive4sports
05-22-2011, 03:12 AM
The new X-Men movie is getting some really good reviews so far.

Hicks
05-22-2011, 09:38 AM
The new X-Men movie is getting some really good reviews so far.

I'm glad to hear it. I was encouraged by what I'd read about it a month or so ago, and this is just reinforcing my now raised (to a point) expectations.

hoosierguy
05-22-2011, 11:58 AM
I saw Priest yesterday. Good but too short- could have used more plot setting and background on how the world became a desolate wasteland with humans corralled into dirty, polluted religious proselytization camps run by the Roman Catholic church.

ilive4sports
05-22-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm glad to hear it. I was encouraged by what I'd read about it a month or so ago, and this is just reinforcing my now raised (to a point) expectations.

When I saw who they cast to play the some of the roles I got pretty excited because I thought they did a great job in casting. The reviews seem to agree too.

Hicks
05-22-2011, 02:48 PM
Do you have a link to any of them? Thanks

ilive4sports
05-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Do you have a link to any of them? Thanks

Some first thoughts from reviews are out ( Embargo on full reviews until the 25th ).

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Simply put I loved it. It’s a superior, exciting, and intelligent comic book movie. McAvoy and Fassbender are brilliant ... and beyond the movie’s expected grand action Vaughn has managed to instill X-Men: First Class with a real emotional core, complexity and a huge amount of style.

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movie-news/x-men-first-class-first-rea ctions.php#ixzz1N12Azoge

James McAvoy (Charles Xavier), Jennifer Lawrence (Raven/Mystique) and director Matthew Vaughn (Kick ***, Stardust) deserve much credit for bringing X-Men up to date, refreshed, while, ironically, taking it back in time...

There is all the excitement, pace and spectacle that you would expect and want from an X-Men film, but what makes X-Men: First Class a film that I can’t wait to see again is the people in it. Jennifer Lawrence (Winter’s Bone) is one of the true marvels. Vulnerable and fierce, Lawrence’s Mystique has extraordinary depth and much of it is portrayed with no need for words. Whether blue and proud or white and ashamed, this Mystique reflects better than most here the blur between good and evil. But alongside Lawrence we also have fantastic performances from James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Kevin Bacon to name just three. For creating this new X-Men world, from which one sequel at least should be demanded, we should be grateful to director Matthew Vaughn.

http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2011/05/21/x-men-first-class-kates-spoil er-free-view/

It seems that the Marketing materials imported from the US really hasn’t been doing this film justice, we all know about the badly photoshopped posters, other EU countries getting trailers with better clips etc but the feedback from initial screenings in the UK has been phenomenal and here’s just a snippet of what Andrew thinks of X-Men: First Class, which hits cinemas Nationwide on June 1st. PREBOOK SOON, It’s gonna be geektastic, no… GEEKGASMIC!!

http://www.dogatemywookie.co.uk/?p=7987

X-Men: First Class is the long awaited phoenix from the ashes of a flailing franchise.

http://www.geektown.co.uk/2011/05/21/x-men-first-class-our-initial-views/

Just copied and pasted the ones from another forum where I found them.

AesopRockOn
05-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Man was I ever dissapointed in Jonah Hex. So much to work with and they blew it.

Uh, they gave us the best unintentional comedy of the 21st century. I'd say it was a great success. :D

The Tin Tin trailer looks awful. Even Robert Zemeckis was, like, that looks really fake.

No surprise on X-Men. Matt Vaughn is one of the best out there.

Hicks
05-22-2011, 10:47 PM
The Tin Tin trailer looks awful. Even Robert Zemeckis was, like, that looks really fake.

Wow, I had the opposite reaction. I had to watch it a second time because at first I thought they'd filmed on real sets and then added in the CGI characters.

Not that I'm very interested, but I was impressed with the visuals.

Sookie
05-22-2011, 11:46 PM
"The Good Son"

Interesting idea. I kinda liked it. I had an issue with a particular scene, but I understood why it was in the movie.

jeffg-body
05-24-2011, 10:56 PM
As painful as it was, I watched Tangled for the fifth time with my little girl.

spreedom
05-25-2011, 11:11 PM
I read great reviews of X-Men as well, and one included a spoiler about a cameo:

Apparently the gang runs into Wolverine (Jackman) at a bar, and he tells them to "Go :censored: themselves."

Constellations
05-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Zombieland

Since86
05-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Went and watched Hangover II last night.

Severly disappointed. It's pretty much the exact same movie, with the exact same lines.

Hopefully they had to edit a lot of it out, in order to keep it rated R, but....yeah. It fell flat, IMHO.

Unclebuck
05-26-2011, 02:43 PM

Severly disappointed. It's pretty much the exact same movie, with the exact same lines.

Hopefully they had to edit a lot of it out, in order to keep it rated R, but....yeah. It fell flat, IMHO.

I have not seen it yet. But I just watched the first Hangover last week and still enjoyed it and laughed. But it sounds like Hangover II is not just the same old, same old, but is meaner and generally too over-the-top.

Stryder
05-26-2011, 10:32 PM

What do you think they edited out of the movie?

Spirit
05-26-2011, 11:45 PM
I am number 4

KingGeorge
05-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Old School

Constellations
05-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Bio-Dome

The Blair Witch Project

KingGeorge
05-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Just watched Celtic Pride. I haven't seen it in years.

Every NBA fan needs to watch this movie.

Unclebuck
05-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Saw Hangover II today. Not nearly as good as the first, but still pretty funny. The first one was just a lot better, funnier, and a better plot.

Bridesmaids was better

Hicks
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
End credits are currently rolling on my BD copy of Toy Story 3. Not something I want to watch often, but really good and I'm glad to own it. Some really touching moments.

Pig Nash
05-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Bridesmaids is great.

Hangover 2 has some big laughs but is pretty uneven.

joeyd
05-30-2011, 12:50 AM
Scott Pilgrim. Worst movie I have seen in years. Maybe I just didn't get it.

Stryder
05-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Hangover 2

Funny. First one is still better based on the unexpected outcomes. Saw it with a good crowd in the theater.

Fast Five

Enjoyed it. Love the Rock. The 2011 Charger looks very sweet. Love the rear end and the full length taillight. Some very nice cars in the movie.

Pig Nash
05-30-2011, 09:52 AM

Wow, worst? I can understand not getting it, it's pretty specific but I've not seen anyone say it was the worst movie they've seen.

Sparhawk
05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Hereafter. I wanted to stab my eyes the movie was soooooooooooooo dull.

Sookie
05-30-2011, 09:01 PM
Bridesmaids....I don't think I stopped laughing.

KingGeorge
05-30-2011, 09:57 PM
Hangover 2

Unclebuck
05-31-2011, 08:39 AM

Yeah that movie either you love or hate it. I enjoyed it, but the action/fighting sequences got really old to me. The non-fighting scenes I thought were very well done and well written though.

Sparhawk
05-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah that movie either you love or hate it. I enjoyed it, but the action/fighting sequences got really old to me. The non-fighting scenes I thought were very well done and well written though.

Scott Pilgrim was really good. Some of the fights were a bit lame, but I'm fine with that.

Flibertygibits
05-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Fanboys. I saw it a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty damned good. I've watched it twice since then, and I'm not pissed that I didn't see it any sooner.

idioteque
05-31-2011, 11:56 PM
The new Pirates of the Caribbean. I'm not a huge fan of the series but I thought it was alright. Not as good as Thor. I'm hoping X-Men is better than both.

Unclebuck
06-01-2011, 09:02 AM
. I'm hoping X-Men is better than both.

The reviews thus far have been 98% positive

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/x_men_first_class/

Since86
06-01-2011, 09:16 AM
What do you think they edited out of the movie?

Honestly, I don't know. I just know that both movies are pretty much the exact same, and they actually re-use lines from the first movie wanting to get laughs with them in the second. People laughed, I groaned.

If I wanted to watch the Hangover Part 1, I would have just watched it, instead of spending $40 for two tickets, a drink, and a popcorn.

The scene with the stripper was pretty good though. It was unexpected and original. The rest of the movie was just a retread. :shrug:

pacer4ever
06-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Honestly, I don't know. I just know that both movies are pretty much the exact same, and they actually re-use lines from the first movie wanting to get laughs with them in the second. People laughed, I groaned.

If I wanted to watch the Hangover Part 1, I would have just watched it, instead of spending $40 for two tickets, a drink, and a popcorn.

The scene with the stripper was pretty good though. It was unexpected and original. The rest of the movie was just a retread. :shrug:

all the jokes were made about what happen in the 1st one ya i though it was stupid

pacer4ever
06-01-2011, 09:12 PM
Limitless

Hallpass

Hangover 2

Unstoppable

Fast 5

no strings attached

Just go with it

Limitless was probably my favorite but all were good in there own way

will probably get to True Grit and Unknown by Friday i am really looking forward to watching them. Unknown sounds interesting and Jeff Bridges is in True Grit so it has to be great.

spreedom
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
I loved Limitless as well. Saw it in theaters like six weeks ago, or whenever it was new. Bradley Cooper is probably my favorite actor to emerge from the last 5 or 6 years or so. I really enjoyed this movie.

Hangover 2 was a giant turd; felt ripped off about the jokes. I didn't care that the plot was exactly the same, but to rehash every funny joke from the first one was just extremely lazy. Most of the actors appeared to be coasting through the movie too.

Just Go With It was much better than the reviews made it seem.

Fast Five was awesome too... I haven't seen any of the other movies but I am a huge fan of The Rock. He really stole just about every scene he was in. "You I know I like my dessert first... now gimme the damn veggies!"

Also just watched Raiders of the Lost Ark yesterday. I think that might be my pick as the best movie ever made. I love it.

Trader Joe
06-02-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm getting very pumped for the new X-Men movie. I think it's an awesome new take for the film franchise. Very, very cool.

Since86
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Hangover Part III is being talked about already. Good God, Hollywood ruins everything.

Trader Joe
06-02-2011, 12:46 PM
They have to bleed it dry.

pacer4ever
06-02-2011, 02:18 PM
unknown it is like Salt in a lot of ways and is a pretty good movie.

Cactus Jax
06-02-2011, 08:35 PM
I watched the Hangover II and thought it was pretty funny, and also had a good crowd there which makes it better than it probably will be when I watch it on dvd.

Watched Pirates, but all I can think of now is: (language warning) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY

joeyd
06-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Wow, worst? I can understand not getting it, it's pretty specific but I've not seen anyone say it was the worst movie they've seen.

Not my worst of all time, but yeah, the worst (to me) that I've seen in years. The worst film I've ever seen is one that I looked forward to but actually walked out of in the theaters, and I've only walked out of theaters one time in my life during a movie. It was The Dead, based on the James Joyce novel. Second worst in terms of quality would have to be Hercules in New York (with the Governator) although it was so bad that it was funny to where you could not stop watching.

joeyd
06-02-2011, 11:30 PM
The Last Exorcism. To me this is a movie best watched if you don't know anything about it, like one of my other favorite movies, From Dusk Til Dawn. A great rebound movie after Scot Pilgrim, and one of the best I've seen on DVD this year.

Constellations
06-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo Bay

joeyd
06-04-2011, 03:55 AM
Okay, here we go. Caught the 12:05 AM showing of X-men: First Class at my local theater. Thrilled to pay the matinee price in the wee hours of the morning, and extra glad to pay it since the movie was excellent. Not "Dark Knight" excellent, but IMO, it is the best of all of the X-men movies.

One word of advice: Unless you like watching a long stream of names, don't bother staying until the end of the credits. Unlike other Marvel movies, there isn't any payoff afterward.

Also, if any of you spot Stan Lee in the film, let me know where he was. I don't recall seeing him in this one (he usually appears in Marvel movies).

Hicks
06-04-2011, 02:22 PM
X-Men 0.

Somewhat the opposite of Thor for me. I went into Thor with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, and I went into this with very high expectations and just left a little disappointed. With these kinds of movies, especially when they're set in a universe I've previously loved, I find myself being very very picky, and various things just struck me wrong. Its weird, but I almost wish I could have been the director of this movie.

With that said, there's still a lot that I liked, and I would give it a B or B+.

jeffg-body
06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Watching Cheech and Chong's Next Movie right now.

pacer4ever
06-04-2011, 03:05 PM
The adjustment bureau very good Matt Damon is a solid actor

DGPR
06-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Just watched Bridesmaids.....Hilarious! I thought it delivered more laughs than The Hangover II.

AesopRockOn
06-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Cedar Rapids - Aside from the holy-****-I've-never-cringed-this-much-before Wire references from Whitlock (Sheeeeeeeeeeet!), best comedy of the year so far. (Caveat: haven't seen Bridesmaids yet) Not laugh out loud funny kind of comedy, but smiling, giggling and nodding in approval kind of comedy. Ed Helms is solid as is a surprising Anne Heche. John Reilly steals the show; dude is a golden god. Liked this a lot more than Youth in Revolt. A couple of side characters were wasted and there was a little too much predictability, so it's not perfect. Captured the simple themes of small towns and personal vacations quite well. Highly recommended.

Limitless - Much better direction than writing. Cooper is solid. An entertaining watch that could have been more interesting. I look forward to director Neill Burger's next flick, having also enjoyed the flawed The Illusionist.

Hall Pass - Farrelly Brothers need to stop. Seriously. They're complete hacks at this point.

pacer4ever
06-05-2011, 01:47 AM
Cedar Rapids - Aside from the holy-****-I've-never-cringed-this-much-before Wire references from Whitlock (Sheeeeeeeeeeet!), best comedy of the year so far. (Caveat: haven't seen Bridesmaids yet) Not laugh out loud funny kind of comedy, but smiling, giggling and nodding in approval kind of comedy. Ed Helms is solid as is a surprising Anne Heche. John Reilly steals the show; dude is a golden god. Liked this a lot more than Youth in Revolt. A couple of side characters were wasted and there was a little too much predictability, so it's not perfect. Captured the simple themes of small towns and personal vacations quite well. Highly recommended.

Limitless - Much better direction than writing. Cooper is solid. An entertaining watch that could have been more interesting. I look forward to director Neill Burger's next flick, having also enjoyed the flawed The Illusionist.

Hall Pass - Farrelly Brothers need to stop. Seriously. They're complete hacks at this point.

lol hall pass was pretty out there but i thought it was kind of funny. It was stupid but funny IMO.

Trader Joe
06-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I saw First Class friday night. I was disappointed, I thought it was good, but for all the people that are saying it even approaches Dark Knight, I'd like to know what they are smoking. To me, it lagged well behind Dark Knight as well as the first Iron Man, and I'm not sure it matched the second X-Men film either to be honest. It was just OK, I'd say. I couldn't really get involved with any of the characters except Xavier. Even Magneto felt somewhat hollow to me.

Unclebuck
06-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Saw X-Man. I will say it was very well done, story structure I thought was very good, special effects were excellent, it felt like an expensive movie and I mean that in a good way. So while I thought the movie was very well done, I didn't love it, didn't really like it. I liked it, it was entertaining, but it wasn['t anything more than that.

Seemed to me just when I th0ought, OK, now it is going to get good, it just didn't

thewholefnshow31
06-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Watched Red Dawn and Total Recall on Sunday. Nothing like a day of just relaxing watching old action movies from the late 80s and early 90s. I was dying laughing at Total Recall because there is a scene on the escalators where the bad guys are chasing Arnold's character and the bad guy steps on a dead bodies chest and it actually makes a noise like a toy. It sound like a dog toy that squeaks.

pacer4ever
06-06-2011, 01:55 PM
The Wrestler Mickey Rourke is a beast actor

jeffg-body
06-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Watched Jackass 3 last night.

Pig Nash
06-06-2011, 04:33 PM
X-Men 0.

Somewhat the opposite of Thor for me. I went into Thor with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised, and I went into this with very high expectations and just left a little disappointed. With these kinds of movies, especially when they're set in a universe I've previously loved, I find myself being very very picky, and various things just struck me wrong. Its weird, but I almost wish I could have been the director of this movie.

With that said, there's still a lot that I liked, and I would give it a B or B+.

I saw First Class friday night. I was disappointed, I thought it was good, but for all the people that are saying it even approaches Dark Knight, I'd like to know what they are smoking. To me, it lagged well behind Dark Knight as well as the first Iron Man, and I'm not sure it matched the second X-Men film either to be honest. It was just OK, I'd say. I couldn't really get involved with any of the characters except Xavier. Even Magneto felt somewhat hollow to me.

Saw X-Man. I will say it was very well done, story structure I thought was very good, special effects were excellent, it felt like an expensive movie and I mean that in a good way. So while I thought the movie was very well done, I didn't love it, didn't really like it. I liked it, it was entertaining, but it wasn['t anything more than that.

Seemed to me just when I th0ought, OK, now it is going to get good, it just didn't

I am about in line with you guys. I thought it was extremely well made, and I enjoyed that they used real world events to shape the story. I thought it was about perfectly cast (even January Jones did a good job doing Betty Draper as Emma Frost) especially Fassbender and McAvoy, but it just got to the logical conclusion and then ended. I'm just sick of origin movies even when they do everything right.

Kegboy
06-10-2011, 04:49 PM
X-Men: First Class

Unlike the rest of you, I enjoyed this immensely, and I never cared much for the previous movies. Also, I've only seen a little of Damages, and was pleasantly surprised how hot Rose Byrne was. I'd take her over Jones any day. But I'll readily admit I've never been one for the barbie doll look.

joeyd
06-10-2011, 10:09 PM
X-Men: First Class

Unlike the rest of you, I enjoyed this immensely...

Hey now, I was the first to post on the new X-Men movie and I said I loved it too!

Hicks
06-10-2011, 11:40 PM
And keep in mind, it's saying something very good for this film that even those of us who were kind of "meh" about it are basically all giving it a grade of about B.

Put it this way: I'll probably pick up the blu-ray.

Pig Nash
06-11-2011, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't buy it, but yeah, about a B.

joeyd
06-11-2011, 01:38 AM
The Fourth Kind. Didn't especially like the format and glad I didn't pay $8 for each family member to see it in the theaters, but still found the movie to be entertaining.

pacer4ever
06-11-2011, 05:10 AM
The Mechanic

it is the best movie ive seen all year

Day-V
06-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Winning Time.

It's pretty ****ing awesome.

joeyd
06-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Super 8. This was the summer movie that I had the highest expectations for. Very good movie, but left just a bit disappointed. I cannot say why without divulging too much. Still, would give it a 7, maybe 7.5 on a scale of 10.

Note: Stay through the credits and you will be rewarded with a cute mini-movie as the names scroll through.

cdash
06-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Hey now, I was the first to post on the new X-Men movie and I said I loved it too!

Ditto. I really, really liked First Class. The casting for Professor X and Magneto were sublime. The only real casting decision I wasn't in love with was Mystique. Jennifer Lawrence doesn't have the A+ body to pull it off imo.

Sparhawk
06-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Love and Other Drugs. It was like a soft core porn. The boobies were good. Everything else just sucked, really hated the movie and I'm a huge Jake Gyllenhaal fan.

thewholefnshow31
06-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Saw the Hangover 2 last night.

It was not as good as th first, but it still had some good laughs. I cannot get enough of Mr. Chow.

Watching Commando now.

Matrix: Remember Sully when I promised to kill you last?
Sully: Yes. ...
Matrix: I lied!

hoosierguy
06-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Super 8. This was the summer movie that I had the highest expectations for. Very good movie, but left just a bit disappointed. I cannot say why without divulging too much. Still, would give it a 7, maybe 7.5 on a scale of 10.

Note: Stay through the credits and you will be rewarded with a cute mini-movie as the names scroll through.

Same for me. I saw it yesterday and while the film was solid, it was nothing special.

JJ Abrams basically made a movie about his childhood but included the standard alien rampage ( The Goonies meets Cloverfield).

joeyd
06-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Same for me. I saw it yesterday and while the film was solid, it was nothing special.

JJ Abrams basically made a movie about his childhood but included the standard alien rampage ( The Goonies meets Cloverfield).

I can see the Goonies/Cloverfield comparison. But for me it was more like ET meets Cloverfield, without the camera-shake.

Trader Joe
06-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Saw Super 8. I dunno, I feel meh about it. Solid effects and stuff, but the story felt cookie cutter.

Constellations
06-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Hot Tub Time Machine. Hilarious!

Kegboy
06-15-2011, 12:25 PM
The review embargo has been lifted on Green Lantern, and so far the results aren't pretty.

Pig Nash
06-15-2011, 01:43 PM
I quite liked Super 8 a lot. I totally bought in and the thrills were really good.

KingGeorge
06-15-2011, 04:03 PM
The Mechanic. Good movie.

Unclebuck
06-16-2011, 09:24 AM
The review embargo has been lifted on Green Lantern, and so far the results aren't pretty.

When reviews are late like they were for Green Lantern, that usually means they are bad. The studios don't let the critics see it until the premiere. if the studio believes they will get good reviews the reviews start trickling in a week or so out.

I would expect the new Transformers reviews to be late in coming

Unclebuck
06-16-2011, 09:27 AM
The Mechanic. Good movie.

I usually hate movies like this, all violence, no plot, no character development, violence just for the sake of violence. But The Mechanic was good, sure it was violent and graphic, but the plot was pretty good, the set-ups to each violent killing or scene was excellent, there was some suspense.

I was very surprised I liked the movie

Sparhawk
06-16-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm still going to see Green Lantern Sat. Let you all know how it is. Reviews are pretty bad, almost Last Airbender bad (which I refuse to watch), so I'm a little worried. But having never read the comics, I might be able to enjoy it.

Really surprised this movie couldn't do better, there's so much source material to go on.

joeyd
06-16-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm still going to see Green Lantern Sat. Let you all know how it is. Reviews are pretty bad, almost Last Airbender bad (which I refuse to watch), so I'm a little worried. But having never read the comics, I might be able to enjoy it.

Really surprised this movie couldn't do better, there's so much source material to go on.

The CGI stuff looked pretty bad in some of the trailers I've seen. However, I too will be going to see it this weekend.

ilive4sports
06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
The CGI stuff looked pretty bad in some of the trailers I've seen. However, I too will be going to see it this weekend.

Pretty big let down on the CGI from what the ads show imo too.

Hicks
06-16-2011, 10:56 PM
I had a bad feeling when I realized all of the trailers left me thinking, "Why am I supposed to care about this?"

Peck
06-17-2011, 03:55 AM
Saw X-Men first class and I think I liked it more when I was watching it than I did a few hours later. In a way it was a lot like cotten candy to me. Pretty to look at, good tasting but at the end there was no real sustaining qualities.

First & formost how is it even possible for January Jones to make Emma Frost be unsexy? I don't know what it is about that woman but whenever she opens her mouth I want to fall asleep. No charisma at all. However I will admit she did have the body for the part, if not the totall overall look.

Did like seeing Jackman as Wolverine and sneaking Rebecca Romijn in was very well done & if you didn't know who she was you probably missed her scene altogether.

I liked the movie, but I think I want to make sure that this is where they end this particular series. No need for a sequal here.

AesopRockOn
06-17-2011, 06:12 AM
Source Code - Solid. Just plain solid. Some great directorial touches from Jones, some awful touches from whomever the screenwriter was. Some potentially interesting stuff hinted at towards the end. Jake is great, Vera is okay, and Jeffrey is hilarious. The score was poop. You kind of wish it could have been more but I can't complain too much about solid entertainment.

Sparhawk
06-17-2011, 07:17 AM
King's Speech.

Really enjoyed the movie.

Aw Heck
06-17-2011, 10:44 PM
The Tree of Life

Or: "Terrence Malick Tone Poem Montage: The Movie"

If you've ever seen The Thin Red Line or The New World and thought to yourself, "Man, those little tone poem montages that showed up every once in a while were great! I'd love to see 2 hours worth of that!" Then this is the movie for you. I am not exaggerating. The whole movie is like that.

So yeah, this movie isn't for everyone. I counted 7 people that walked out of the movie.

I don't know what to think of Terrence Malick. At times, I find his movies pretentious, masturbatory, artsy fartsy garbage. And yet, for some reason, I can be entranced and fascinated by them at the same time.

That said, I don't think I need to see this movie again.

Sparhawk
06-18-2011, 12:01 AM
Big Fish (for like the 10th time)

Excellent movie. Can't wait to see Green Lantern tomorrow...err, later today!

cdash
06-18-2011, 08:57 PM
I liked the movie, but I think I want to make sure that this is where they end this particular series. No need for a sequal here.

$$$

Pig Nash
06-19-2011, 01:59 AM
Well, it did have the smallest opening weekend of any of the xmen films I think. (or at least the last 3) so they might decide to go in a different direction.

pacer4ever
06-19-2011, 05:01 AM
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AiAHlZVgXjk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cant wait for Sept 23rd i have been looking forward to this movie for awhile Billy Beane is a genius.(and hopefully the future GM of the Cubs)

Mourning
06-19-2011, 11:00 AM
"The Tourist" meh...

Hicks
06-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Saw Super 8 last night.

It tries very hard to be a terrific, somehow-never-before-seen Spielberg film (the kind he might have made circa 1975-1983), and it does have some nice moments and a lot of ingredients that you'd think would maybe kind of sort of pull it off, but it just doesn't pull it off IMO.

I liked the movie, I guess (certainly didn't dislike it), but so many things about it had me so nitpicky over and over again during the movie it was ridiculous. Every few minutes something either rubbed me the wrong way or had me thinking "they did this wrong, they did that wrong".

And when I say "wrong" I just mean IMO because I felt like a lot of times if they'd just zigged instead of zagged with the pacing here, the lighting there, the editing here, the acting there, the dialog here, the writing there, it could have been so, so, so much better.

My favorite things:

Elle Fanning, Kyle Chandler, the last act (more or less) of the film.

I dunno. It's moments like these where I feel like there's a filmmaker in me wanting to get out, but for obvious reasons I doubt I'll ever pursue it. I'm actually tempted to buy this DVD just so I can make notes of all the things that were striking me as I watched it last night. Right now it's all more of a jumble.

[/unexpected pseudo-rant]

Hicks
06-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I had a bad feeling when I realized all of the trailers left me thinking, "Why am I supposed to care about this?"

And by the way, I'm getting similar vibes from Captain America. I'm hoping it'll not be as bad as Lantern allegedly is, but the costume doesn't work for me, and the trailers don't give me anything compelling with regards to the plot.

Shrimp gets pumped up with super-soldier serum (By Tony Stark's dad OMG?!!%?@%@%@52512351 [/:rolleyes:] [/sowhat]) and goes to fight the Nazi's.

Okay, I guess. I dunno, maybe I've just not been exposed to the compelling stuff with this character in the comics, but even there it's always just "Super-respected leader of the Avengers, very strong and athletic, bad *** shield" and..... I just don't know what past that.

joeyd
06-19-2011, 05:36 PM
Green Lantern. Not as bad as I thought it would be, but not as good as I'd hoped it would be. Way too much unconvincing CGI, and too much of a predictable script even for a non-fanboy. Would give it a generous 2 out of 4 stars.

Note: Stay for mid-way through the credits for some insight into the sequel or possible Justice League plot. Nothing at the very end though.

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 03:07 AM
Transformers, the first one. Say what you will about these movies, but you cannot deny that they are visually stunning, and thats not just because of Megan Fox.

bellisimo
06-20-2011, 07:33 AM
really looking forward to Transformers 3...been following up on all the TV spots/etc and its looking like its going to manage to salvage the franchise after a bad sequel.

Unclebuck
06-20-2011, 08:48 AM
If you are a fan of Michael Bay directed movies, and looking at how much money his movies have grossed, there are a lot of fans of his movies, that is fine but I cannot stand his movies and will never knowingly watch any of his movies again.

The movie of his that put me over-the-edge was Armageddon, I have never seen a worse movie (I'm talking about a big-budget high grossing movie) I felt stupid watching it, dulled all my senses, and it made me want to hate movies. After that I swore I would never watch one of his movies again.

But a few years back I started watching the first Transformers, not knowing Bay was the director, got about 30 minutes in and asked the person who was watching it with me if this was a Michael Bay movie, when the answer was yes, I said I cannot watch anymore and we turned it off.

Sure the writing is bad, but in action movies you learn to accept that, but his visual style (they thing he is known for, the thing tghat I suppose is what people like about his movies) , is exactly what I hate, it feels more like a music video, the camera never stops, it IMO is horrible.

Skaut_Ech
06-20-2011, 02:00 PM
The Tree of Life

Or: "Terrence Malick Tone Poem Montage: The Movie"

If you've ever seen The Thin Red Line or The New World and thought to yourself, "Man, those little tone poem montages that showed up every once in a while were great! I'd love to see 2 hours worth of that!" Then this is the movie for you. I am not exaggerating. The whole movie is like that.

So yeah, this movie isn't for everyone. I counted 7 people that walked out of the movie.

I don't know what to think of Terrence Malick. At times, I find his movies pretentious, masturbatory, artsy fartsy garbage. And yet, for some reason, I can be entranced and fascinated by them at the same time.

That said, I don't think I need to see this movie again.

If you are a fan of Michael Bay directed movies, and looking at how much money his movies have grossed, there are a lot of fans of his movies, that is fine but I cannot stand his movies and will never knowingly watch any of his movies again.

Oh, lord. Now you've done it. I can make a comparision between Michael Bay and Terrence Malick.

Malick: At times, I find his movies pretentious, masturbatory, artsy fartsy garbage.

Bay: At times, I find his movies pretentious, masturbatory, commercially pandering garbage.

Thin Red Line actually made me angry. I refused to walk out, but it was so self indulgently pretentious, I couldn't stand it. No way in hell do I see Tree of Life.

Bay's stuff is like a variant on Malick in that he goes WAY over the top to appeal to the dumbed down masses. And yeah, his jump cutting drives me nuts, too, UB. That being said, I can enjoy Bay cause I take them for what they're worth: The visual equivalent of eating a twinkie. Tasty and transitory, but ultimately, not very satisfying. (edit-I just went back and read some other posts and see that I kinda paraphrased Peck's comment about cotton candy. I just had a smiliar thought process as peck. *shiver* Now i feel kinda dirty inside.)

For someone to walk out of a Michael Bay movie saying it was one of the best movies they've ever seen, or it's a favorite movie, just makes me sad.

Unclebuck
06-20-2011, 03:48 PM
Did see Green Lantern over the weekend. Wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen. it was just there, nothing memorable, in fact I remember very little about the movie. Felt sorry for Ryan Reynolds, I mean he tried, but that was an impossible role to play. He did a decent job not taking it all too seriously I suppose, but they gave him nothing to work with.

Green Hornet, Thor, X-Man were all much better.

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 03:49 PM
When I go to see Transformers I just want to be entertained. I'm not really caring about the writing. I don't expect it to be a great film that Bay wins Oscars for. I just want to be entertained. And thats exactly what those movies do for me. Do I come out of the theater saying, wow, that movie was .... like I did with Inception or Social Network? Hell no. But I do say, that movie was ****ing sweet. And it usually has to do with the great CGI that is done, easily one of, if not the best CGI I've seen in a movie. They are just damn entertaining movies to me.

Unclebuck
06-20-2011, 03:59 PM
When I go to see Transformers I just want to be entertained. I'm not really caring about the writing. I don't expect it to be a great film that Bay wins Oscars for. I just want to be entertained.

I don't mean to pick on you, and more people agree with you than they do with me. But I wanted to discuss your phrase, "I just want to be entertained" So do I, everyone does, I guess I think great writing is entertaining, a good story is entertaining, good action is entertaining, good characters are entertaining. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man all IMO were very well done and were very entertaining.

I'm not suggesting every movie be like The Kings Speech, Social Network, or Slumdog Millionaire. I found those movies extremely entertaining. But I can understand enjoying a lighthearted movie as well, I like comedies, I enjoyed X-Man and Green Hornet to a certain degree.

Oh well, I feel we have discussed this before in this thread.

Actually I think this summer has seen some pretty good movies, Bridesmaids, Hangover 2, Thor, X-Man all have been worth my time and money

edit: If Micheal Bay promised to stop the jump-cutting, I might give him another try, maybe)

ilive4sports
06-20-2011, 04:20 PM
I don't mean to pick on you, and more people agree with you than they do with me. But I wanted to discuss your phrase, "I just want to be entertained" So do I, everyone does, I guess I think great writing is entertaining, a good story is entertaining, good action is entertaining, good characters are entertaining. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, Iron Man all IMO were very well done and were very entertaining.

I'm not suggesting every movie be like The Kings Speech, Social Network, or Slumdog Millionaire. I found those movies extremely entertaining. But I can understand enjoying a lighthearted movie as well, I like comedies, I enjoyed X-Man and Green Hornet to a certain degree.

Oh well, I feel we have discussed this before in this thread.

Actually I think this summer has seen some pretty good movies, Bridesmaids, Hangover 2, Thor, X-Man all have been worth my time and money

edit: If Micheal Bay promised to stop the jump-cutting, I might give him another try, maybe)

There is nothing wrong with not liking Transformers. I mean it all comes down to personal taste. The movies you have bolded are better than Transformers imo too. Although I haven't seen the Kings Speech.

And the entertained comment was just me saying I don't need a movie to be like The Dark Night or the Social Network to be entertained. If find those movies highly entertaining and better than Transformers. But I enjoy the mindless action Transformers features.

Sparhawk
06-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Hated both Transformer movies. Too bad too, cause I loved Transformers growing up.

bellisimo
06-21-2011, 05:30 AM
UB - do you dislike every Michael Bay movie, including Bad Boys and The Rock?

I think he has good movies which he destroys with his style. I've liked the premise of most of his movies but hated how the action scenes have been recorded - the shaky camera is really irritating.

With regards to Transformers - the second one was a huge dump - so many plot holes and characters reappearing in 2 places at once that you really had to dumb down your brain in order to enjoy the movie.

As for the upcoming Transformers - having grown up watching Transformers i'll give the one a chance once again - talks are this is Bay's last Transformers movie...so I'd love to see someone else take over the handles of this franchise and see what can be done.

AesopRockOn
06-21-2011, 07:11 AM
X Men: First Class: Holy ****, I love this movie. Almost too much, like I'm not going to be very objective about it. What Batman Begins did for Bruce Wayne, this movie did for two lead characters. The Dark Knight had an amazing villain; this movie had two. Ironman allowed our lovable main character to blow up **** in crazy ways; ditto. Watchmen took the epic scope of beloved source material and brought it to life on the big screen; ditto.

If this movie had been made by a legit studio and hadn't been forced to completion in less than a ****ing year, it would have been Star Wars. Pretty much all of the flaws in this movie are attributable to the rushed production: clunky dialogue, uneven comicbookiness, iffy CGI in parts, underdeveloped supporting characters, feet. Given another six months to rewrite and work out in post, I think Vaughn's movie would have been a bona fide classic. Fassbender immediately becomes my most looked forward to actor. Made Christoph Waltz look like a pussy.

Lastly, January Jones wasn't bad. She was just Betty. What did you expect?

AesopRockOn
06-21-2011, 07:24 AM
Sucker Punch - It was a bad movie. I still love Snyder and wish him the best. Superman sounds like it should be okay with Nolan playing big brother. Abbie Cornish is fine.

joeyd
06-21-2011, 12:25 PM
Anyone see Adjustment Bureau? Thinking about renting it.

Unclebuck
06-21-2011, 01:34 PM

I didn't like it and I was hoping to and expecting to.

here is what I wrote back in March, right after I saw it.

The Adjustment Bureau. No, movie didn't work. It wasn't horrible, but after about an hour I just lost interest in what was going on.

Constellations
06-23-2011, 05:02 AM
The Bounty Hunter

pacer4ever
06-23-2011, 05:26 AM

I liked it and thought it was good but the ending is very predictable

but i am a huge Matt Damon fan ever since rounders

Constellations
06-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Inception

Great film.

317Kim
06-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Green Lantern.

I enjoyed it. The movie was kind of short though.

DGPR
06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Blindness

Interesting movie, and there was quite a bit of nudity/sex, I just wish it wouldn't have been with Julianne Moore.

Sparhawk
06-24-2011, 07:18 PM
How To Train Your Dragon.

Pretty damn good.

joeyd
06-25-2011, 03:00 AM
True Grit. I remember seeing the original in the theaters when it first came out. I liked it then, and I usually hate re-makes unless there is a good reason to remake the film. This version was more true to the book and I like the Coen bros. I had high expectations and was not disappointed.

Day-V
06-25-2011, 05:14 AM
Cars 2.

Reviewers be damned, I thought it was fantastic. Beautiful cinematography, and just good fun. Might not be Pixar's best movie, but it's still damned good.

I actually liked it better than Toy Story 3.

Sparhawk
06-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Green Lantern

Pretty slow throughout, but it's an origins, so I can live with that. Someone tell Hollywood or whoever that smoke monster badguys are *****ing retarded. Just because it's enormous doesn't make it scary. I'm just surprised Hal didn't make a giant vacuum cleaner and suck the bad guy up. Other than the incredibly lame bad guy, the movie was good. Not great, but didn't suck either. Not totally memerable, but they did set up the second movie, which could prove to be better. I'd probably get a new director though.

Did DC make the movie or do they not own the movie rights? I have to think if it was made by DC it would have been much better.

bellisimo
06-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Transformers Reviews are coming out slowly on rotten tomatoes...64% so far...there is some hope! :)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_dark_of_the_moon/

Pig Nash
06-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Only 11 scores and none from top critics though. I'm predicting sub 40%

Sparhawk
06-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Transformers Reviews are coming out slowly on rotten tomatoes...64% so far...there is some hope! :)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_dark_of_the_moon/

It got a pretty strong review on IGN.

Hated the first 2, so I really don't care about the 3rd.

pacer4ever
06-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Bad Teacher it was ok

Trophy
06-27-2011, 10:24 PM
Bad Teacher it was ok

I've been dying to see that.

Was it disappointing?

pacer4ever
06-27-2011, 11:39 PM

Was it disappointing?

I thought it was pretty funny but it was made for my age group. So i can see older people finding it crude and not funny but i though it was funny. Not great but a bunch of laughs.

Unclebuck
06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Only 11 scores and none from top critics though. I'm predicting sub 40%

38% and falling fast. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_dark_of_the_moon/

I did like this reviewers comment,
With the constant LOUD NOISES, anaemic storytelling, non-existent emotional resonance and cringingly bad comedy, this expensive sound-and-light show is a bit like slamming your head repeatedly against an arcade pinball machine for 150 minutes.

Here is a pretty good and IMO balanced article about Michael bay and his movies. (can I ask a question, why does he makes his movies all 2.5 hours long)

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2011-06-27-michael-bay-transformers-dark-of-the-moon_n.htm

cdash
06-28-2011, 09:33 PM

Was it disappointing?

I'm with p4e--it was just "ok". I laughed at some parts, but I can't help thinking they missed out on a lot of opportunities. It just could've and should've been a lot funnier. It doesn't help that I am not a fan of the old Cameron Diaz either.

Doug
06-28-2011, 11:01 PM
Thin Red Line actually made me angry. I refused to walk out, but it was so self indulgently pretentious, I couldn't stand it. No way in hell do I see Tree of Life.

Amen! I couldn't possibly agree more.

pacer4ever
06-28-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm with p4e--it was just "ok". I laughed at some parts, but I can't help thinking they missed out on a lot of opportunities. It just could've and should've been a lot funnier. It doesn't help that I am not a fan of the old Cameron Diaz either.

Ya the concept was brilliant just poorly executed IMO

AesopRockOn
06-29-2011, 03:11 AM
As long as we're making Michael Bay-themed posts, here's Filmdrunk's post (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/06/michael-bay-loves-bottle-rocket-and-other-stories) on GQ's new article (http://widget.uproxx.com/b/3/http://www.gq.com/entertainment/movies-and-tv/201107/michael-bay-oral-history) on the dude. Pretty hilarious. Money quote:

Bay: I don’t change my style for anybody. Pussies do that.

Also, a Brad Bird movie IRL:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/V0LQnQSrC-g" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

pacer4ever
06-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Bridesmaids

absolutely hilarious

so many good jokes and the girl who plays Lillian is one of my favorite actresses she is really good.

The engagement party scene and the Police stop is hilarious

Megan was lol and the best part was the picking the dress scene and the plane scene pure genius :lol:

a lot of really good parts.

bellisimo
06-29-2011, 05:53 AM
see these types of quotes from the critics bug me - its like they are going into seeing the movie looking for a Oscar nomination deserving drama instead of what Transformers really is - selling robot toys that turn into cars to kids.

what is the evolutionary advantage of pretending to be a car, anyway?

Even as it showcases a new degree of directorial control, Dark of the Moon remains a live-action cartoon, more a delivery mechanism for testosterone and axle grease than a satisfying dramatic experience.

I have to say that I think the robot effects are better here but maybe since they got rid of Megan Fox the effects team no longer had to spend all that time CGI-ing out her toe thumbs and could spend all their efforts on rendering the robots instead.

When the audience is rooting for the inanimate objects on screen, you're doing something wrong.

I do agree with the other negative reviews about character development, plot, etc. - but its these reviews who go with a wrong mindset to movies that always irritate me.

Transformers needs a reboot with a whole nother director at the whelms of this badboy, remove all the human cliche stories/plots and just let the robots have some character that can be developed - then you're looking at a movie with some sort of a purpose.

cdash
06-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Bridesmaids

absolutely hilarious

so many good jokes and the girl who plays Lillian is one of my favorite actresses she is really good.

The engagement party scene and the Police stop is hilarious

Megan was lol and the best part was the picking the dress scene and the plane scene pure genius :lol:

a lot of really good parts.

Yeah, I really, really liked Bridesmaids as well. Thought it was really funny and I liked all the actresses/actors they had in the movie. I've long been a big Kristen Wiig fan, and she certainly didn't disappoint here. Like you, I really like Maya Rudolph (I think that is who played Lillian--Lillian was the bride, yes?). Just funny stuff all the way around, and Jon Hamm's part slayed me.

ilive4sports
06-30-2011, 05:50 AM
see these types of quotes from the critics bug me - its like they are going into seeing the movie looking for a Oscar nomination deserving drama instead of what Transformers really is - selling robot toys that turn into cars to kids.

I do agree with the other negative reviews about character development, plot, etc. - but its these reviews who go with a wrong mindset to movies that always irritate me.

Transformers needs a reboot with a whole nother director at the whelms of this badboy, remove all the human cliche stories/plots and just let the robots have some character that can be developed - then you're looking at a movie with some sort of a purpose.

Those quotes are exactly why I want to go see the damn movie. I find that stuff cool as hell.