PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

rexnom
08-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Scott Pilgrim

It's cute, but it's no Kick ***.
Just saw Kick ***. It was really good. Holy ****. Nick Cage in top form as well. Well done by him.
Sucks that he won't be in the sequel.

SycamoreKen
08-15-2010, 06:28 PM
The Crazies new one. I'd ponder the plot holes, but its not worth the time.

Shade
08-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Just saw Kick ***. It was really good. Holy ****. Nick Cage in top form as well. Well done by him.
Sucks that he won't be in the sequel.

I'm just ecstatic that there's going to be a sequel. :dance:

Unclebuck
08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
Saw the Expendables over the weekend.

I'll give them some credit. They didn't try to do too much with this movie, they didn't try overstep what you would expect. It was an old fashioned action movie. Really no plot to speak of, no plot twists, no intrigue. It was pretty much we are here to kill you, it was extremely violent, but it had some decent car chases, decent gun fights, decent fight scenes.

Overall though, it was laughable in its dialogue and the 1 scene which had Bruce Willis and Arnold in was laughably bad.

The acting wasn't good either. Only decent job acting was turned in by Mickey Rourke who had a small role, but he was the only one really trying.

But you want to just sit back and see a lot of straight forward violence, tons of explosions, and action scenes, you will probably enjoy this movie

Flibertygibits
08-16-2010, 06:17 PM
The Sandlot...

Still a classic...

Pig Nash
08-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Scott Pilgrim.

So good. It may be my favorite movie that came out this year. Right in the sweet spot for me. Good music, funny, visual feast, stark, little bit of heart. Mmm mmm good.

Unclebuck
08-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Scott Pilgrim.

So good. It may be my favorite movie that came out this year. Right in the sweet spot for me. Good music, funny, visual feast, stark, little bit of heart. Mmm mmm good.

Do you think it got a little repetitive in all the fight scenes. I mean if they cut out 7 or 8 minutes of them especially towards the end, it would have made the movie so much better IMO

Pig Nash
08-17-2010, 09:17 AM
I thought they were varied and clever enough for me to not get bored with them, but I could see where someone could have been done with them.

Hicks
08-17-2010, 10:57 PM
I didn't care for the "fight" with the twins, and I certainly didn't care for that first ex when he started to sing.

But by and large I was cool with the fights.

jeffg-body
08-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Watched Blackhawk Down the other night after the wife went to sleep. She doesn't want me to watch war films, especially about Somalia.:crazy:

indygeezer
08-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Just watched

12 Angry Men

a classic.

Peck
08-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Just watched

12 Angry Men

a classic.

One of my very favorite films of all-time.

count55
08-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Just watched

12 Angry Men

a classic.

One of my very favorite films of all-time.

The original with Henry Fonda was fantastic, but HBO did a remake/update with Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott that was amazingly good, as well.

RWB
08-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Just watched

12 Angry Men

a classic.

Big thumbs up and for those who can't stand a movie in black or white this is a perfect example of how and why. I just can't imagine getting the same feeling of how tight the quarters felt in the jury room and the stifling heat if it was shot in color.

Shade
08-19-2010, 11:57 PM
She's Out of Your League

Better than I was expecting. A few parts had me laughing pretty good.

8/10

Skaut_Ech
08-23-2010, 10:39 AM
It really sucks that so many undeserving films get all the press. I went out of my way to track down Get Low with Bill Murray and Robert Duvall. If you can find it among the multiplex barrage of Expendables and it's ilk, WELL worth the price of admission. GREAT movie that doesn't club you over the head with melodrama and trust you to have some intelligence.

I admit, I haven't seen Toy Story 3 or Inception yet, which I hear a lot of buzz about, but discounting those two, the is the picture of the year so far.

Go see it. Now.

Unclebuck
08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
It really sucks that so many undeserving films get all the press. I went out of my way to track down Get Low with Bill Murray and Robert Duvall. If you can find it among the multiplex barrage of Expendables and it's ilk, WELL worth the price of admission. GREAT movie that doesn't club you over the head with melodrama and trust you to have some intelligence.

I admit, I haven't seen Toy Story 3 or Inception yet, which I hear a lot of buzz about, but discounting those two, the is the picture of the year so far.

Go see it. Now.

Did you see it at Landmark theaters - at the Fashion Mall?

Skaut_Ech
08-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Did you see it at Landmark theaters - at the Fashion Mall?

Yup. Keystone Arts, by far, consistantly shows the best movies in town and has the most polite crowds. Comfy, rockable seats and the theater actually turns up the sound. I swear a lot of theaters seem as if they don't fully use their sound systems.

grace
08-23-2010, 12:02 PM
I went out of my way to track down Get Low with Bill Murray and Robert Duvall.

I'm curious what made you want to see it? I only ask because I went to school with the director. As far as I know there aren't any ads saying the movie is playing in Indy so I figured I'm the only one that was planning on seeing it.

I'm glad you liked the movie. I think I've convinced Kegboy to go see it with me, but he's also seen some less than flattering reviews so I think he's still not quite sure what he's getting in to.

Skaut_Ech
08-24-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm curious what made you want to see it? I only ask because I went to school with the director. As far as I know there aren't any ads saying the movie is playing in Indy so I figured I'm the only one that was planning on seeing it.

I'm glad you liked the movie. I think I've convinced Kegboy to go see it with me, but he's also seen some less than flattering reviews so I think he's still not quite sure what he's getting in to.

Grace, I'm really big on regularly checking coming attractions sites and putting the movies on my calendar so i don't forget. I know most people aren't that anal, but I know I'll miss some great movies if I don't keep a watch out for them. When I saw Bill Murray and Duvall attached, I knew Ii HAD to see it, even though I'm not a big fan of going to the theater. (I'm just over people answering cell phones during the movie, bringing their kids to inappropriate rating films, talking during the movie, etc.)

I really don't think Kegboy will be disappointed. Any bad review is rare and all the critics I respect loved it. (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_low/?critic=creamcrop#contentReviews)

I had to look up the director. No wonder his background is cinematography. You can tell. Very nice film to look at and the cast is absolutely perfect. It's not the greatest film ever made, but it's nice to see a movie where they get everything right.

grace
08-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Get Low

I couldn't believe how many people were there for a matinee. Usually when I go to a movie in the afternoon it's me and about 5 other people. Kegboy thinks there were about 60 people. He said "Now we know how many people read the board."

I agree with everything Skaut Ech said about the movie. There have been some critics who compalined about Bill Murray, but I don't see it. I thought he did a great job.

mmpfm1
08-25-2010, 03:43 AM
"Waking Life"

( has anyone seen this? its awesome)

Unclebuck
08-25-2010, 08:14 AM
The Square Very good.

Dab
08-25-2010, 08:43 AM
Saw the Expendables over the weekend.

I'll give them some credit. They didn't try to do too much with this movie, they didn't try overstep what you would expect. It was an old fashioned action movie. Really no plot to speak of, no plot twists, no intrigue. It was pretty much we are here to kill you, it was extremely violent, but it had some decent car chases, decent gun fights, decent fight scenes.

Overall though, it was laughable in its dialogue and the 1 scene which had Bruce Willis and Arnold in was laughably bad.

The acting wasn't good either. Only decent job acting was turned in by Mickey Rourke who had a small role, but he was the only one really trying.

But you want to just sit back and see a lot of straight forward violence, tons of explosions, and action scenes, you will probably enjoy this movie

I saw this last night, and Buck's review is spot on.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I went for a popcorn refill and missed Arnold's cameo.

Peck
08-25-2010, 12:44 PM
The original with Henry Fonda was fantastic, but HBO did a remake/update with Jack Lemmon and George C. Scott that was amazingly good, as well.

I liked that film as well. Funny to watch Tony Danza next to Jack Lemon, talk about the opposite end of the acting spectrum...

Has anyone ever seen the actual stage play of 12 angry men?

Unclebuck
08-25-2010, 01:35 PM
I liked that film as well. Funny to watch Tony Danza next to Jack Lemon, talk about the opposite end of the acting spectrum...

Has anyone ever seen the actual stage play of 12 angry men?

Tony Danza has shown that he can act.

avoidingtheclowns
08-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Tony Danza has shown that he can act.

Mr. Danza also forced humanity to ponder the greatest philosophical question of our time: who, exactly, is the boss?

Unclebuck
08-30-2010, 08:35 AM
The Other Guys . Some very funny parts, overall though it wasn't as good as I hoped.

A Solitary Man Great acting all around. I enjoy a good chracter study as much as anyone, but this movie seemed repetitive and I became bored

bellisimo
08-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Repo-Man

It had potential but i wasn't happy with the ending...

Skaut_Ech
08-31-2010, 11:07 AM
The Other Guys . Some very funny parts, overall though it wasn't as good as I hoped.

A Solitary Man Great acting all around. I enjoy a good chracter study as much as anyone, but this movie seemed repetitive and I became bored

It's funny. I really liked Solitary Man, but only because I loved Douglas in it....and I NOT a Douglas fan. He truly made the movie enjoyable and memorable for me. That being said, take the same movie, plug in some unknown actor without his talent and the movie falls apart.

The Other Guys pissed me off. I thought it sucked. Hard. So much potential there and they just wasted it. Matter of Fact, I told my wife they should have taken some notes from the TV show The Good Guys. That is more the vibe they should have gone for. It's been a while since I truly regretted going to the theater for a movie. Thank you other guys. :(

Shade
09-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

Very, very rarely will I even consider giving a movie a perfect score. IMO, in order for a movie to be "perfect," a lot of factors have to be considered. The movie has to be entertaining. It has to be paced properly. It has to display no weak links amongst the cast members. And, when I sit back and consider the entirety of the presentation, I have to consider whether there are any changes I would make to any of these elements.

Scott Pilgrim passes each one of these tests. I can't think of any element to the story, cast, etc. that I would change to "put it over the top."

The video editing is absolutely top-notch. The movie is loaded with special effects, but they add a lot to the story, and are not there simply to be flashy. The transitions are smooth and nearly the entire film is eye candy, but in a way that fits within the framework of the story rather than being a distraction.

An instant all-time favorite, and the best movie I have seen in a very, very long time.

10/10

Pig Nash
09-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Sounds like you and me agree completely on this one Shade, I'm gonna be down in Indy on Sunday, wanna go see it again?

Bball
09-03-2010, 06:01 AM
It's funny. I really liked Solitary Man, but only because I loved Douglas in it....and I NOT a Douglas fan. He truly made the movie enjoyable and memorable for me.

Did you guys see where Michael Douglas was recently diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer? He himself said it was stage 4 when he appeared on Letterman this week and said he'd just begun the chemo and radiation treatments.

Stryder
09-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Did you guys see where Michael Douglas was recently diagnosed with stage 4 throat cancer? He himself said it was stage 4 when he appeared on Letterman this week and said he'd just begun the chemo and radiation treatments.

Yep. Sad.

indygeezer
09-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Just saw George Clooney in THE AMERICAN

The only good thing was MUCH T&A.....

one sex scene went on way too long.

OK start.....BORING middle.....ok last 5 minutes (predictable IMPO).

Wasted 15 bucks on 2 tix and fell asleep in the middle.

Hicks
09-04-2010, 12:11 AM
The Fellowship of the Ring.

I haven't enjoyed watching it this much in years. I'd gotten supersaturated with the trilogy since 2001-2003, and now enough time had passed that I really got to enjoy it again.

Natston
09-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Cop Out

Awful, good for one laugh though.

SycamoreKen
09-06-2010, 06:49 PM
The Book of Eli

Another movie that had the wife and I wondering why we had not watched it earlier. A great story with a very nice ending. I had heard that the ending was weird, but it made sense to me.

Natston
09-06-2010, 06:56 PM

Glad I waited for the hype to die down before watching it. It was better than what I expected but I was kind of disappointed in the ending...

pwee31
09-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Kick-***. Pretty funny movie. Even had some unexpected gore. I liked it.

I watched Cop Out as well. Didn't think it was too bad. Story kinda sucked, but I got multiple laughs out of it. Of course everyone has a different sense of humor

Unclebuck
09-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Watched the original Star Wars movie. The one from 1977

Better than I remembered it. Always thought Empire Strikes back was the best, and maybe it still is in my opinion, but I remembered the original Star Wars to be a little slow for the first half, but really, I enjoyed the story and characters more than I remembered

Bball
09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
"Ginger Snaps"

I think I enjoyed it more than I should have. I caught it on one of the movie channels the other night.

kester99
09-12-2010, 04:29 AM
I saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo about six months ago and I saw The Girl Who Played With Fire on Friday.

If you're a fan of the crime/mystery/thriller genre that would include The Pelican Brief, Silence of the Lambs, and Mystic River, well, you're in for a very big treat if you see these movies.

Plus, there's a whole lot of finesse, beauty and brutality lent this film just from its cultural (Swedish) perspective. I think adapting it to American themes and characters would literally rip the hearts out of these films.

This is what movies should be all about, if you ask me. One camera, a few characters and a smart, crisp writing/directing/acting team.

I read the three books the late Stieg Larsson finished, which include the two these movies are based on. These are excellent techno-savvy who-done-its, which come with glimpses into Swedish society.

The first movie -- Dragon Tattoo -- I just watched. This was a brilliant adaptation. Loved it. The Lisabet Salander character was on the money. The scenes from the Swedish countryside are something I could not get from the books...what a beautiful yet austere locale. I've travelled quite a bit, but Northern Europe hasn't been on the itinerary, so this was definitely a case of the movie adding value to the book experience. I have the second movie on the laptop, and am looking forward to finding the time to watch it.

There is a 4th book out, of which Larsson wrote about 3/4, I understand, before he died. Looking forward to reading it, and hoping they make the two remaining possible movies.

Thanks for the heads-up, LA. Didn't even know the movies had been made.

MyFavMartin
09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
The Blind Side (excellent)

And

A Bug's Life (Another great movie from Pixar)

Bball
09-12-2010, 05:15 PM
I ended up working with the girl who Tom Hanks delivered the FedEx package to at the end of "Castaway".

Here is how the movie was originally intended to end (and was filmed):
In the movie as we all saw it the girl drives off and Hanks just smiles. The full ending utilized a camera on a crane. Hanks got back in his vehicle and then camera raised and panned back to reveal Hanks driving off and then further revealing Hanks "hauling a$$" to catch up with the pickup.

Test audiences were polled and the women in the group felt it was "too soon" for Hanks to be chasing after another woman. So that's why the ending was changed for the actual release. The funny thing is reading people's interpretation of the theatrical ending online and the deep meanings they ascribe to it. ...as if it was a long thought out and planned ending. It might've worked out that way but it was just a way to end the movie a little sooner, leaving things ambiguous, because some women didn't like the intended ending.

She also said that the #1 question she gets is "What was in the (FedEx) box?". She said she didn't know because they never opened it....

Unclebuck
09-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Saw Going the Distance it was surprisingly very good, I was not expecting much, so my expectations were quite low, but I enjoyed this movie. it had several very funny moments and a pretty good story

Unclebuck
09-18-2010, 04:55 PM
The Town Excellent, really, really good.

edit: I'll add a little more about what I liked. It was a little bit like a Michael Mann movie and a little similar to "Heat" (Not as good though). it wasn't all action, there was some chracter development, there was a plot, it was smart. The cops were smart the criminals were smart. it was just a very good movie.

Suaveness
09-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Has anyone seen Stardust? How is it? I wanted to see it, but don't have a rental membership (nor does Redbox have it)...so I figured I'd buy it if it was good.

SycamoreKen
09-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Couples Retreat

Better than I thought it would be. I think married couples would enjoy it more than singles, at least get the point more. Plenty of eye candy though.

SMosley21
09-19-2010, 09:07 AM
http://dikitik.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/shelter_movie_poster-535x401.jpg

Really enjoyed this

Unclebuck
09-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Devil not as bad as I thought it might be. Held my interest and it was only 80 minutes long so it does move quickly. Maybe see it on DVD. The premise is decent, but it just doesn't work overall.

See The Town instead for sure

Unclebuck
09-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Wow the early reviews for The Social Network which is about the guy who started facebook - the reviews have been really good so far. I think it is a great idea for a movie and then when I saw it was writen by Aaron Sorkin (Of West Wing fame) and directed by David Fincher - I fully expect it to be one of the best movies of the year

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/photos/17394/201286/1

Peter Traverse

This is the first film I've seen so far in 2010 that deserves my highest rating, 4 stars. It's better than the movie of the year. The Social Network also defines the decade. How so? Director David Fincher, working brilliantly from a dazzlingly complex script by Aaron Sorkin, uses the rise and rise of Facebook to examine a generation that can't communicate despite its obsession with social networking. The performances are award caliber, led by Jesse Eisenberg as Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, who conceived the idea as a Harvard student. The squabbling between Zuckerberg and his friends who want a piece of the site, including Eduardo Saverin (Andrew Garfield is outstanding) and Napster co-founder Sean Parker (Justin Timberlake, an acting revelation), makes for a fierce and funny powerhouse, a modern Rashomon that will pin you to your seat.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-social-network/critic-reviews

Hicks
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
That comes out Friday, doesn't it?

Unclebuck
09-22-2010, 01:17 PM
That comes out Friday, doesn't it?

No, next Friday, October 1st.

Wall Street comes out this week.

travmil
09-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Has anyone went to see Get Low? I think it's only playing at Keystone Arts. We saw it Friday night and was just curious what anyone else thought of it.

Unclebuck
09-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Has anyone went to see Get Low? I think it's only playing at Keystone Arts. We saw it Friday night and was just curious what anyone else thought of it.

I have not seen it, but there are some posts about it a page back I believe

Natston
09-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Kick-***

I really liked the setup and beginning 2/3rds of the movie, but like many movies it settles for a cliched cookie cutter ending...

grace
09-28-2010, 12:25 PM

It's still playing? Good. Kegboy and I saw it when it first came out. We liked it, but I admit to some bias because I went to school with the director.

travmil
09-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah, not only do they still have it there, I'd say the crowd was at least as large as you mentioned in your earlier post. I liked it a lot. It's nice to see a movie where they focus on the story and let actors do their thing instead of relying on gimmicks to sell it.

Unclebuck
10-02-2010, 10:27 PM
The Social Network Best movie I've seen this year. One of those movies that I didn't want to end. Completely entertaining, made me realize how poorly written most movies are.

Cannot recommend it highly enough

Want to see it again tomorrow

Suaveness
10-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Has anyone seen Stardust? How is it? I wanted to see it, but don't have a rental membership (nor does Redbox have it)...so I figured I'd buy it if it was good.

Bump. Anyone?

Unclebuck
10-10-2010, 11:55 AM
No one else has seen The Social Network ?

I'd be curious as to why. No interest?

I'm just curious

Hicks
10-10-2010, 12:23 PM
I saw it last week. It was pretty good.

Natston
10-10-2010, 02:18 PM
There's some interest, but I rarely see movies in theaters and the story isn't that compelling to see until it's on dvd... :shrug:

Peck
10-18-2010, 04:22 AM
DareDevil (Directors cut)

OMG!!!!! This is a totally different movie when you view how it was supposed to be released compared to what ended up being released. The theatrical release came in at just over 90 min. the actual movie as the Director fimed it came in just over 124 min.

There are entire segments and an entire story line that had been removed in editing and when you see it and compare it to the original film you start to go "oh that makes sense now".

They explain the kingpin far more in the directors cut as well as Foggy Nelson plays a bigger role.

But most of all this is a much much darker film with far more violence. In fact the rating for the directors cut is R when the theatrical release was pg13.

I actually had no problem with the theatrical release however now that I've seen this I feel that we were all robbed.

pacer4ever
10-18-2010, 04:26 AM
my 5 wives staring the great Rodney Dangerfield "no respect" love Rodney

Unclebuck
10-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Saw Red . It was good. It was pretty entertaining, sort of funny, had some good action. But it was missing something - maybe it tried to be too many things and if it would have been more focused I would have liked it more.

RWB
10-18-2010, 01:15 PM
Rolling Stones the Biggest Bang concert dvd (4 disc). If you like old guy classic rock it is worth a purchase. Normally a $29 box set on sale now at Best Buy for $5.99 and the Rolling Stones 4 Flicks box set (normally $29 and 4 disc) only $3.99; really hard to pass these up when so cheap.

Hicks
10-18-2010, 01:17 PM
DareDevil (Directors cut)

OMG!!!!! This is a totally different movie when you view how it was supposed to be released compared to what ended up being released. The theatrical release came in at just over 90 min. the actual movie as the Director fimed it came in just over 124 min.

There are entire segments and an entire story line that had been removed in editing and when you see it and compare it to the original film you start to go "oh that makes sense now".

They explain the kingpin far more in the directors cut as well as Foggy Nelson plays a bigger role.

But most of all this is a much much darker film with far more violence. In fact the rating for the directors cut is R when the theatrical release was pg13.

I actually had no problem with the theatrical release however now that I've seen this I feel that we were all robbed.

I thought you'd seen this before? In fact, weren't you trying to get me to check it out?

Peck
10-18-2010, 04:40 PM
I thought you'd seen this before? In fact, weren't you trying to get me to check it out?

I've never seen the directors cut. I probably said something to you because I read about it a few weeks back but I just got the blueray a week or so ago.

Wu-Gambino
10-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Just watched the Fugitive last night with a friend who hadn't seen it before (don't ask how that is possible). I have probably seen it at least twenty times, yet I still love it each time. It's a movie that's able to keep you on the edge of your seat without the over-the-top explosions or shootouts that you see in today's films.

Highly recommended to anyone, probably one of the best suspense/thriller films ever made. Gerrard is one of my favorite film characters and, of course, Kimble is such a great guy (manages to save three people's lives during the course of the film).

Stryder
10-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Since it's Halloween...

The Crazies

Good, plots holes galore, but I like Tim Olyphant's acting...I love movies like this...

The Collector

Strange. Gory. Violent.

28 Days Later

Nice. I rewatch this every so often.

Dawn of the Dead (Remake)

Another good one.

Day-V
10-31-2010, 02:17 AM
I saw The Social Network. Pretty good movie. Didn't like how it just seemed to end so abruptly, though.

Unclebuck
11-11-2010, 02:03 PM
I saw Hereafter a couple of weeks ago. There were parts of it that were very good, but as a whole it just didn't work.

Also saw The Social Network again and liked it as much as I did the first time. And once again, I was dreading the movie being over, I could have sat there and watched another hour of it. So well written. as far as the "abrupt ending" I agree as I wanted to see more. But I'm not sure how else they could have ended it

Peck
11-14-2010, 01:03 PM
I saw Grown Ups last night.

When will someone take Adam Sandler to the side and tell him to quite making his own movies? The formula worked in the 90's but it is old and stale now and has been forever.

BTW I was suckered by the concept of the film by the commercials, I actually thought this was going to be differant but in fact it was just the same old schtick by the same old group of actors who have nothing else left.

Pig Nash
11-14-2010, 11:19 PM
I actually really like Sandler as a dramatic actor (Punch Drunk Love and to a lesser but still effective degree Funny People) but I don't generally like his comedic stylings.

Pig Nash
11-15-2010, 12:57 AM
Oh and everyone should seek out The Red Riding Trilogy. I especially think UB would like it as it is sort of a British Zodiac, more focused on the characters investigating terrible things but with a lot of style and a great sense of dread permeating the whole series.

Unclebuck
11-15-2010, 10:13 AM
Oh and everyone should seek out The Red Riding Trilogy. I especially think UB would like it as it is sort of a British Zodiac, more focused on the characters investigating terrible things but with a lot of style and a great sense of dread permeating the whole series.

OK, thanks, i'll check it out.

Is it s series of movies - or just one movie - or more of a TV miniseries

Pig Nash
11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
It aired in England on TV, but really they are 3 feature length films. I know you could see them in theatres here as one long 5 hour thing with two intermissions but I don't know if it's still out. I watched it on the Netflix instant watch and I know the dvd/blu ray is available on amazon.

Pig Nash
11-17-2010, 04:07 AM
Also decided to check out another movie with Andrew Garfield (Eduardo from The Social Network, and the reporter from Red Riding 1974), Boy A.

It's also quite good, looking forward to seeing him as the new Spiderman.

Kegboy
11-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Harry Potter 7.0

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who's watched the movies but not read the books. I've read a couple reviewers say they could follow along, but personally I would think I'd be pretty confused. All in all I think they did an okay job at least giving lip service to the many, many crucial plot points dropped from other adaptations, but I still can't believe they didn't say anything about the mirror. Harry's just got this piece of jagged glass he yells "Help!" into. Weak. And there's no doubt the movie suffers from the split. It was the best place for it, but that doesn't make it a good place. Reminds me of Kill Bill, half a story is still half a story.

That said, there were some changes I really enjoyed. Hedwig was handled much better, and saved us from Stan Shunpike nonsense. I thought the train scene looked stupid in the trailers, but Neville made it extremely worthwhile. It also lays much needed groundwork for him in the second half. The story of the Three Brothers is exquisite. And, as many reviewers have stated, the inclusion of Hermoine's parents just adds a wonderful pathos to proceedings. It wasn't a one-off, either. She constantly apparates to places that reminds her of her parents, but doesn't complain, even when Ron's a giant ponce about missing Mummy and Daddy. Great stuff.

Lastly, the killing of the locket was very well handled. My only complaint is they could have shot it a little better to make people think Ron was actually going after Harry with the sword. That said, the effects are top notch, and of course I would never complain about excessive nudity. :-p

Unclebuck
11-22-2010, 08:12 AM
I will not be seeing Harry Potter.

But I did see two very good movies over the weekend

127 Hours - True story about a guy who gets stuck in a canyon. Peter Boyle is the director (director of Slumdog Millionaire) James Franco is the actor who plays the real life guy who gets stuck. Franco does an Oscar worthy job of acting and the movie while not always a pleasant experience throughout in the end it is very life affirming, makes you appreciate just being alive, and makes you realize how important it is to tell people were you are going. Makes you appreciate family and good friends. The movie sticks with you for several days.

Unstoppable Denzel Washington - this movie was also very good. It is rather exciting, it grabs your attention and I was riveted throughout. Sure there were a few, no way could that happen, moments - but it was very entertaining. From scene to scene it was more entertaining than 127 Hours but as soon as it is over you forget all about it.

Since86
11-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Is there a reason why you won't watch HP7??

I went and saw it Sat. afternoon, and 5mins into it I thought it was the best HP film, by far.

Obviously there were some differences, and confusing parts if you hadn't read the books, but that's the fault of the directors in the previous movies. So many important details were left out from the first 6, and really from the 4th one on, that it would be impossible to cover everything.

But I thought Yates did a fantastic job of actually following the book.

The only major part left out, that I can remember, was the scene at which they went to X. Lovegood's house. Hufflepuff's diamem? (hat) was replicated there and they didn't show it, nor mention it. But at the same time, it's okay because it let's them keep with the mystery, because Ravenclaw's cup should have been shown in the HBP movie......

Unclebuck
11-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Is there a reason why you won't watch HP7??

I went and saw it Sat. afternoon, and 5mins into it I thought it was the best HP film, by far.

Obviously there were some differences, and confusing parts if you hadn't read the books, but that's the fault of the directors in the previous movies. So many important details were left out from the first 6, and really from the 4th one on, that it would be impossible to cover everything.

But I thought Yates did a fantastic job of actually following the book.

Two reasons:

I saw the one that came out summer of '09. It got good reviews, and most people really liked it (not suggesting all). I was bored - the movie was too long.

There are probably 8 movies coming out before the end of the year that I would rather see. if it was this past summer (when very few good movies came out) I might be more likely to see it. But IMo this is the best time of the year when quality movies are released and the type of movies I really like, there is no reason for me to see HP.

Trader Joe
11-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Hufflepuff is the cup I thought and Ravenclaw is the diadem? Man, maybe I need to re-read it, but I think that was how it went.

I saw it on Saturday. It was very good I thought. Emma Watson is pretty hot.

I thought the dancing scene was a little corny at first (or maybe more appropriately Harry's first dance move), but then got better as it went on. It showed why Harry and Hermione will always just be friends. They were a little overbearing with the whole Ron wants to bang Hermione and Hermione wants Ron to bang her thing, but I thought the dance actually ended up being a nice piece to show that Harry and Hermione will always be more like a brother and sister.

I thought the Hermione torture scene was a little under done. I know in the book it is brutal, but come on, this was supposed to be dark. Let's see Hermione have the cruciatus curse used on her, that scene had a ton of suspense in the book. Felt a tad bit anti-climactic in the movie, almost like they didn't want to push the envelope too much.

Hermione has really developed into a great character in the movie, I know it seems I'm on an Emma Watson kick, but I think she did a great job. Ron was OK, and Radcliffe does about what you would expect from him as Harry.

Don't know how the whole Hedwig thing felt to me, and also I'm a bit hazy on the Stan Shunpike thing, what all happened there in the book? I know he ended up being a death eater or something, but I just can't remember.

Also, thought Greyback was underused, again probably trying to reel it back, but in the book, he basically makes it pretty clear that he plans on having his way with Hermione and then killing her for most of the time they're captured right?

Some scenes I thought were very good, were when they first encounter Kreacher and get him to go get the locket and bring back Mundungus, Harry started to establish himself as a dominant character and protagonist in the scene.

I liked the locket scene, but felt that it dragged on just a bit. I don't know, but I probably could have gone without the awkward CGI nakedness from Harry and Hermione. Just felt weird, but I guess that was maybe sort of the point, if it felt awkward for me watching it, you can only imagine the anger building up inside of Ron's character from seeing that.

Oh, Bathilda Bagshot was beyond creepy. Seriously, just weird, don't know how they ever could have trusted her, I also felt the graveyard scene was well done. Just touching enough to remind us of the harrowing past of the main character.

Also, loved seeing Umbridge get hers from Harry. Though the patronuses were used in a much cooler way in the book as they lead them out of the dungeon. I wish they would have done that.

I'll probably have some more thoughts, but those are the ones bouncing around right now. Excited to see the second part, which I would suspect will be seriously pushing 3 hours if not going past it?

Since86
11-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, you're right about which is which. I'll blame it on my nasty sinus infection I got going on.

joeyd
11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
I thought Grown-Ups had a few laugh-out-loud moments, but it is standard Sandler.

However, I highly recommend Moon. Don't think it got much buzz when it came out on the big screen, but it's a fantastic movie. Not too much of a cerebral film, but it is one that will make you think.

Kegboy
11-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Emma Watson is pretty hot.

No ****.

http://www.zap2it.com/media/photo/2010-11/212000800-11102325.jpg

As for Hedwig...
In the book he's trapped in his cage at Harry's feet in the side car. The cage falls out while they're upside down. Harry catches him but he takes a killing curse.

As for Stan, his hood comes off in the fight. Figuring he's been Imperious'd, Harry disarms instead of stuns him, because the fall could kill him. This is the tipoff that he's the real Harry, because it's his "signature move." It does lead to a nice argument between he and Lupin about tactics in war, but I always felt it was forced. The way they use Hedwig is a much more natural plot device, and it at least gives him a noble death.

Trader Joe
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Ah, yes I remember that sequence of events now. Also....awesome picture.

bellisimo
11-30-2010, 08:18 AM
Wild Target

good hitman movie with a "British charm"

AesopRockOn
12-05-2010, 09:46 PM
The Town - Seems like the front runner for Best Picture though I have yet to see Black Swan and King's Speech.

UB, I'd like to see your Oscar BP nominees (top ten) after the season is through.

Unclebuck
12-05-2010, 10:33 PM
The Town - Seems like the front runner for Best Picture though I have yet to see Black Swan and King's Speech.

UB, I'd like to see your Oscar BP nominees (top ten) after the season is through.

Yeah there are several still to come out.

Of the movie I have seen

The Social Network
The Town
127 hours
Inception
The Kids are allright - somewhat of a darkhorse but with 10 best pic nominees

I've seen all those and I would rank them this way - Social network, The Town, 127 hours, The Kids are Allright.

Black Swan looks like it will be a contender.

I think of the movies that have been released so far, Social Network has to be the odds on favorite to win best picture

Looking forward to seeing The Fighter, How do I know,

Hicks
12-06-2010, 02:03 AM
I hadn't really given the Town much thought. I didn't realize it was so well thought of. Am I missing out?

Natston
12-06-2010, 05:14 AM
The Pledge

It's difficult to say a whole lot about it without ruining the story but I highly recommend it because of the counter-genre aspect of it.

Unclebuck
12-06-2010, 08:28 AM
I hadn't really given the Town much thought. I didn't realize it was so well thought of. Am I missing out?

I thought it was really good and it got 94% favorability on Rotten Tomato
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_town/

I would be very suprised if it wasn't nominated as best picture - especially since 10 films are nominated now.

Here are the Gotham Independent Film Awards Noms -
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_swan_2010/news/1921365/awards_tour_2011_gotham_independent_film_awards_no minations/

Black Swan,
Blue Valentine
The Kids are Allright
Let me In
Winter's Bone - winner

SycamoreKen
12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Alice in Wonderland The Depp one. Pretty good once it got going.

AesopRockOn
12-10-2010, 03:30 AM
Yeah there are several still to come out.

Of the movie I have seen

The Social Network
The Town
127 hours
Inception
The Kids are allright - somewhat of a darkhorse but with 10 best pic nominees

I've seen all those and I would rank them this way - Social network, The Town, 127 hours, The Kids are Allright.

Black Swan looks like it will be a contender.

I think of the movies that have been released so far, Social Network has to be the odds on favorite to win best picture

Looking forward to seeing The Fighter, How do I know,

The Kids Are All Right seems like it will score some acting nods, Annette Benning most obviously. Maybe original screenplay but I feel like it just came out way too long ago. I really liked it and think it has a decent shot at a nomination, like you said.

I was like you in thinking that The Social Network was the best movie of the year. In terms of acting, direction, effects, editing, writing I think it's perfect except for one major story element. (It has to do with a certain girl.) But then I saw the Town. Considering that there are no frontrunners and that the actors and producers can make a significant Oscar campaign push, I'd say it's the favorite at this point. Definitely in the top ten.

Here's what I would say are the top ten critics/judges will, at this point, choose: Social Network, Winter's Bone, 127 Hours, Toy Story 3, The King's Speech, Inception, True Grit, The Kids Are All Right, Black Swan, and Animal Kingdom in no particular order. Now, these aren't my favorites, which would have to include How to Train Your Dragon, I Love You Phillip Morris, Scott Pilgrim, and Four Lions.

Will try to see either of (or both) Black Swan and The Fighter soon. Who knows about the limited release ones...

I'll try to keep this running as we approach the end of the award season. Others, please chime in with your top/favorite movies of the year too! :)

Unclebuck
12-10-2010, 08:40 AM
http://dcfilmcritics.com/awards/

here is a link to the Washington DC area film critics awards. The Social Network won. Also nominated: Black Swan, Inception, 127 Hours, Toy Story 3

Mai80
12-10-2010, 05:27 PM
last week i saw Brokeback Mountain

AesopRockOn
12-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Rabbit Hole -It's been getting a lot of attention for Nicole Kidman's performance. She was very good, though not amazing. A very solid small indie-style drama about family and loss. Not detailed or original (too many dramatic tropes and cliches) enough to be considered great. Kidman (who does have issues with moving her face) probably gets a nomination; strong performance by Aaron Eckhart, who has a very outside side at a nod. Sort of recommended.

JB24
12-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Has anyone seen Buried? If it wasn't for some of the clumsy political commentary, this might have been my favorite film of the year (it's easily the most entertaining) . Haven't seen The King's Speech yet, but I thought Ryan Reynolds' performance was the best i've seen this year.

Hoop
12-13-2010, 12:35 AM
The Town - Very well made movie, one of the years best, must see, IMO.

Machete - Enjoyed it, fun movie. You have to realize it's a 70's style exploitation movie, much like the GrindHouse Movie's "Death Proof" and "Planet Terror". If you did not like them, you will not like this one.

Salt - Pretty good, worth watching, non stop action.

Knight & Day - Better than I thought it would be, thought it was kinda funny. Action packed even if it was way over the top.

Unclebuck
12-13-2010, 09:07 AM
If anyone is interested, here are the critics choice nominations and a pretty good guid for what will be nominated for Oscars

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2010/12/black-swan-nominated-in-12-critics-choice-categories/1?loc=interstitialskip

LA Critics picked The Social Network as the best film of the year.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-12-12-la-film-critics-awards_N.htm

here is AFI's top ten
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2010-12-12-afi-top-10_N.htm

Stryder
12-14-2010, 10:29 PM
New Transformers teaser:

Transformers: Dark of the Moon

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2861996057/

AesopRockOn
12-15-2010, 02:14 AM
Golden Globes were announced today. Obviously more mainstream movies/actors plus one or two obligatory head scratchers for each category (except Animated Feature somehow) than more awards presentations considering the Hollywood Foreign Press. Here are the movies:

BEST MOTION PICTURE, DRAMA

Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The King’s Speech
The Social Network

BEST MOTION PICTURE, MUSICAL OR COMEDY

Alice in Wonderland
Burlesque
The Kids Are All Right
Red
The Tourist

BEST DIRECTOR

Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan
David Fincher, The Social Network
Tom Hooper, The King’s Speech
Christopher Nolan, Inception
David O. Russell, The Fighter

BEST DRAMATIC ACTOR

Jesse Eisenberg, The Social Network
Colin Firth, The King’s Speech
James Franco, 127 Hours
Ryan Gosling, Blue Valentine
Mark Wahlberg, The Fighter

BEST DRAMATIC ACTRESS

Halle Berry, Frankie & Alice ["A drama centered on a young woman with multiple personality disorder who struggles to remain her true self and not give in to her racist alter-personality." -Ed, via IMDB (http://widget.uproxx.com/b/3/http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1221208/) ]
Nicole Kidman, Rabbit Hole
Jennifer Lawrence, Winter’s Bone
Natalie Portman, Black Swan
Michelle Williams, Blue Valentine

BEST ACTOR, COMEDY OR MUSICAL

Johnny Depp, Alice in Wonderland
Johnny Depp, The Tourist [You like Johnny Depp, Jesus, we get it already.]
Paul Giamatti, Barney’s Version
Jake Gyllenhaal, Love & Other Drugs
Kevin Spacey, Casino Jack

BEST ACTRESS, COMEDY OR MUSICAL

Annette Bening, The Kids Are All Right
Anne Hathaway, Love & Other Drugs
Angelina Jolie, The Tourist
Julianne Moore, The Kids Are All Right
Emma Stone, Easy A

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Christian Bale, The Fighter
Michael Douglas, Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps
Andrew Garfield, The Social Network
Jeremy Renner, The Town
Geoffrey Rush, The King’s Speech

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Amy Adams, The Fighter
Helena Bonham Carter, The King’s Speech
Mila Kunis, Black Swan
Melissa Weaver, The Fighter
Jacki Weaver, Animal Kingdom

BEST ANIMATED FILM

Despicable Me
How to Train Your Dragon
The Illusionist
Tangled
Toy Story 3

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE PICTURE

Biutiful
The Concert
The Edge
I Am Love
In a Better World

BEST SCREENPLAY

127 Hours [Really? Screenplay but not direction? -Ed]
The Kids Are All Right
Inception
The King’s Speech
The Social Network

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE

Alexander Desplot, The King’s Speech
Danny Elfman, Alice in Wonderland
A.R. Robin, 127 Hours
Trent Reznor, The Social Network
Hans Zimmer, Inception

BEST SONG

“Bound to You,” Burlesque
“Coming Home,” Country Strong
“I See the Light,” Tangled
“There’s a Place For Us,” The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
“You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me,” Burlesque
I know it's odd that there are no actual comedies in the Comedy/Musical section, but like I said, Hollywood Foreign Press. Ricky Gervais should at least keep the night interesting. Show is January 25. Here (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2010/12/hahaha-burlesque-alice-in-wonderland-got-golden-globe-best-pic-nominations#more-37710) are the TV nominees via Film Drunk.

Unclebuck
12-20-2010, 08:08 AM
Tron wasn't horrible. Jeff Bridges made the movie a little better than it would have been otherwise.

Cannot wait to see this week
Black Swan
The Fighter
True Grit

On DVD I saw
Salt excellent movie. Not great, but well done and is an entertaining movie.

Easy A. Very good. certain parts bugged me - but entertaining.

duke dynamite
12-20-2010, 10:33 AM
The Other Guys

Mark Wahlberg is awesome.

cdash
12-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Easy A. Very good. certain parts bugged me - but entertaining.

What parts bugged you?

Unclebuck
12-20-2010, 01:32 PM
What parts bugged you?

Without going into it since we can't. I'll just say the depiction of the parents and the "Jesus freak students" Was just a little too over-the-top for me

cdash
12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Without going into it since we can't. I'll just say the depiction of the parents and the "Jesus freak students" Was just a little too over-the-top for me

Yeah, I can see that. I still thought the movie was pretty good. I'm not a huge Emma Stone fan, but I thought she was good in that movie.

SycamoreKen
12-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Dispicable Me

Rented it for my class to watch the last day before break and then watched it with my wife that evening. A very cute movie. It was funny enough for adults yet appropriate for kids.

Sookie
12-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Black Swan...um..I know it was a metaphor for Swan Laker but uh..that doesn't cover it completely....I think it was a great movie though..

rexnom
12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I can see that. I still thought the movie was pretty good. I'm not a huge Emma Stone fan, but I thought she was good in that movie.
I really liked the movie and the difference was entirely Emma Stone. She's fantastic.

AesopRockOn
12-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Black Swan - It's like if you had David Lynch make The Wrestler and David Cronenberg make Fight Club and combined the two movies with a main story about Swan Lake.

A film that must be watched multiple times and I can't wait to do so. Natalie Portman is pretty much a shoo in to win the Best Actress. Aronofsky will be nominated as director and will probably win, making up for the lack of respect received by The Wrestler two years before. (Oddly enough, in 2008, he lost to hype machine Slumdog Millionaire and Danny Boyle. Could we see a rematch?) Aronofsky specializes in movies that leave you immobile, glued to your seat, as even as the credits roll. Nothing different here.

Also, ballet is hard.

Stryder
12-22-2010, 10:20 AM
My wife saw Black Swan and loved it.

Unclebuck
12-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Saw The Fighter

It was pretty good. Can't put my finger on it though as I didn't love it - worth seeing though. I am judging it against the other top movies of the year.

AesopRockOn
12-25-2010, 05:23 AM
Has anyone seen Buried? If it wasn't for some of the clumsy political commentary, this might have been my favorite film of the year (it's easily the most entertaining) . Haven't seen The King's Speech yet, but I thought Ryan Reynolds' performance was the best I've seen this year.

This is basically my review as well. Though the third act does at times fluctuate between being fumbly, unbelievable, and manipulative. I wouldn't call it the most entertaining, but it does work as a straight thriller as well as an impressive exercise in filmmaking. Plus, Reynolds is excellent. When he says "**** you." to the woman (I guess, his sister...) on the phone, I feel like only four or five other actors could have pulled that delivery off; great emotionality as well. Highly recommended.

SycamoreKen
12-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Iron Man 2

It was fun. I explained to my wife who everyone was and how it was adapted to fit the shorter time frame of the movie series. RDJ is perfect in this role. I just enjoy watching him. I also pointed out the foreshadowing of the Avengers movie. Scarlett Johanson (sp.?) is perfect as Black Widow. That movie is going to be made, right? How can we not have 2 hours of her in that suit? Not to mention that she can actually act. It goes without saying that having her and Gwenyth Paltrow, who I think are two of the most beautiful women alive, sharing the screen was worth the price of the movie.

I am very interested in seeing where the Avenger franchise will go. That was my favorite comic book as a kid with Iron Man coming second. There are so many rich characters that made their way through that group that it will be neat to see where it goes.

Erik
12-26-2010, 10:35 PM
I see that Christian Bale is nominated for "Best Supporting Actor" in The Fighter.
But, IMO he should be up for "Best Dramatic Actor" instead of Wahlberg. I think he out-shined him in that movie.

Unclebuck
12-26-2010, 10:36 PM
True Grit was really good. just don't go in expecting an action packed movie. Great writing though, acting, character development. Jeff Bridges is outstanding. Extremely well made movies. I would be shocked if it weren't nominated for best picture

Hicks
12-27-2010, 12:09 AM
True Grit.

It was less serious than I was expecting, which threw me off a bit. The movie is somewhat off beat and I'd almost say "quirky", but still good and definitely worth checking out unless you just hate anything Western. I'm not a Western guy per se, but I can enjoy them.

Everyone was good, though I sometimes had trouble understanding what was being said through the delivery/accent. But not too often.

travmil
12-27-2010, 12:32 AM
Little Fockers.

Until today, I had only walked out of the theater on one other movie, that being the steaming turd bucket that was Vegas Vacation. I can now proudly add Little Fockers to that list. I left about 45 minutes in. In that 45 minutes I didn't see even one Focking joke that wasn't a variation of other Focking jokes that were already told 75 times in the first two Focking movies. In short, two thumbs WAY Focking down.

Unclebuck
12-27-2010, 08:24 AM
True Grit.

It was less serious than I was expecting, which threw me off a bit. The movie is somewhat off beat and I'd almost say "quirky", but still good and definitely worth checking out unless you just hate anything Western. I'm not a Western guy per se, but I can enjoy them.

Everyone was good, though I sometimes had trouble understanding what was being said through the delivery/accent. But not too often.

The Coen Brothers make quirky movies. I just loved the dialogue - that to me was the best part

bellisimo
12-27-2010, 09:36 AM
SALT - good flick, fast paced and kept me guessing a bit.

BURIED - great performance by Ryan Reynolds - it was a bit intense in terms of making you feel like you were stuck in a coffin as well - was a bit relieved when the movie was over so i can breathe a bit.

indygeezer
12-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Last evening, Geezer Jr. took his 17 year old sister to see her first legal "R" movie. The Black Swan.....they both found it "disturbing". Good story but Disturbing none the less.

Question they asked.....Why would anybody want to watch two women doing that? Guess maybe I'll have to go see it for myself so I can answer their question.

Since86
12-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Question they asked.....Why would anybody want to watch two women doing that? Guess maybe I'll have to go see it for myself so I can answer their question.

That answer quickly becomes NSFW. But I like your solution!

indygeezer
12-28-2010, 06:46 PM
duh

nsfw ?????

Kegboy
12-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Not safe for work.

Unclebuck
12-30-2010, 07:49 PM
The King's Speech

I love this movie, cannot wait to see it again. I would say I enjoyed this movie more than any movie I've seen all year except for The Social Network.

Surprisingly very emotional

pacer4ever
12-30-2010, 09:57 PM
Little Fockers.

Until today, I had only walked out of the theater on one other movie, that being the steaming turd bucket that was Vegas Vacation. I can now proudly add Little Fockers to that list. I left about 45 minutes in. In that 45 minutes I didn't see even one Focking joke that wasn't a variation of other Focking jokes that were already told 75 times in the first two Focking movies. In short, two thumbs WAY Focking down.

That movie is great. "I'll take some of the yellow":laugh:

Unclebuck
01-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Saw Black Swan

Great acting job - effective movie overall. But i didnt like it, glad when it was over and didn't really care much for any of the characters. Several scenes are the type where you aren;t sure if they are really happening or just in her mind and I generally do not like those type of scenes because after a couple of those I usually stop caring

If you are someone who likes to check out a couple of the award worthy movies that comes out at the end of the year - it is my recommendation that you not see Black Swan go see The Kings Speech.

Pig Nash
01-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Haven't seen The Kings Speech yet, I do intend to, but I can tell from reviews and your opinion I will probably like it but not as much as Black Swan. I really enjoy mind:censored: movies more than straightforward fare like The Hurt Locker or even A Beautiful Mind Where you also have an unreliable main character because what he is experiencing isn't necessarily real, but you get a clean explanation at the end of what was going on.

Kegboy
01-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Haven't seen The Kings Speech yet, I do intend to, but I can tell from reviews and your opinion I will probably like it but not as much as Black Swan. I really enjoy mind:censored: movies more than straightforward fare like The Hurt Locker or even A Beautiful Mind Where you also have an unreliable main character because what he is experiencing isn't necessarily real, but you get a clean explanation at the end of what was going on.

Do you, at the end of Black Swan, get a clear explanation of what's going on?

Unclebuck
01-02-2011, 10:40 PM
By the end of Black swan I didn't care. I still think it was a good movie, good acting, well made, but i didn't enjoy it

Pig Nash
01-03-2011, 10:01 AM
Kegboy, not really.

Hicks
01-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Saw, well, not all of, but enough to get the point by skipping around via Netflix streaming, the movie Human Centipede.

What a piece of ****. (not meant as a pun)

I'd heard about it in passing, morbid curiosity got the better of me, and eventually I read up on it and then tonight decided to give it a watch. I quickly realized I didn't need to sit through 90 minutes (or whatever), and just clicked around for the "key moments". That was plenty. Sick, stupid, and the villain is slightly hilarious in how much of a cartoon he is.

Hoop
01-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Saw, well, not all of, but enough to get the point by skipping around via Netflix streaming, the movie Human Centipede.

I'd heard about it in passing, morbid curiosity got the better of me, and eventually I read up on it and then tonight decided to give it a watch. I quickly realized I didn't need to sit through 90 minutes (or whatever), and just clicked around for the "key moments". That was plenty. Sick, stupid, and the villain is slightly hilarious in how much of a cartoon he is.
I've heard of that movie, never saw it.

The most disturbing, twisted, sick movie I ever saw was "SALO - 120 Days of Sodom" (1975). I believe it's banned in several countries.

Hicks
01-04-2011, 09:07 AM
I think I've heard of/read about that. French or Italian movie, I think? Involves mistreating a bunch of high school or college aged kids?

Skaut_Ech
01-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I've heard of that movie, never saw it.

The most disturbing, twisted, sick movie I ever saw was "SALO - 120 Days of Sodom" (1975). I believe it's banned in several countries.

I did a bunch of reading on that film years ago. UN-freaking-real. I was going to track down a copy years ago, but decided not to.

BTW, all, have you all seen the new trailer for THOR? I think Green Lantern looks sucky and Green Hornet looks lame, but this might actually be pretty cool. Now if they can just pull of the Avengers movie.

'Thor' Trailer (http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/107211165)
<object width="425px" height="360px">

<embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=107211165,t=1,mt=video" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="360"></object>
Trailer Park Movies (http://www.myspace.com/171184815) | Myspace Video (http://www.myspace.com/video)

cdash
01-04-2011, 11:51 PM
Superhero movies are starting to wear me out. The only one's I care about anymore are the Batman movies.

DaveP63
01-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Little Fockers.

Agreed X10. The wife had to see it instead of True Grit on New Years...If you've seen the trailers on TV, you've see the movie.

pacer4ever
01-05-2011, 06:43 PM
SALT - good flick, fast paced and kept me guessing a bit.

I watched Salt and thought it was great untill the end. I thoght the ending was terrible untill i heard they are making Salt 2 so now it makes sense. Cant wait untill it comes out.

Sookie
01-05-2011, 10:17 PM

I've heard of that movie. I"ll never see it though..that's too disturbing. I've heard though, that one of the most disturbing movies ever made was The Cannibal Holocaust. But I refuse to see that one too. Partially because I hate being grossed out, and partially because animals were actually killed in it.

Hicks
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM
I've seen one clip from Cannibal Holocaust, and I really don't want to see any more (aside from the morbid curiosity factor). It was these young people catching and then butchering a real live, huge sized turtle. It was upsetting, disgusting, and disturbing. I know some artsy fartsies get off on that, but I don't.

AesopRockOn
01-06-2011, 05:04 AM
True Grit - Incredibly entertaining western with some quirkiness. Straight-forward narrative but superb dialogue and acting throughout.

The Fighter - Make no mistake, the star of movie is Christian Bale. Best performance of the year, hands down. That said, David O Russell shines as well. His interweaving of comedic sadness and family drama make for a film that's very entertaining and easy to root for.

Somewhere - Don't watch this. It has the impact of I'm Still Here without the great lead performance.

Never Let Me Go - A surprisingly poignant, understated science fiction movie. Terrific performances, as we all will come to expect, from leads Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield. A bit slow to start because of a lack of world-building, but a very strong human (sort-of-human?) drama in the second and third acts.

Enter the Void - Wait for the cool parts of the movie to be uploaded to YouTube. Just a pointless, indulgent waste of time as a whole movie.

Ghost in the Shell - I'm kind of upset I haven't seen this until now. A little over expository, but just an awesome flick. Obviously got the Wachowski brothers' attention.

AesopRockOn
01-06-2011, 05:16 AM
Superhero movies are starting to wear me out. The only one's I care about anymore are the Batman movies.

I'm probably the only one looking forward to the next Kick *** more than the next Batman.

No matter what Chris Nolan does with it, I think it's destined to be disappointing.

There have been a couple of recent superhero movies that have attempted to be subversive. (For some reason that I can't explain because I love the movie, Watchmen is never mentioned as a great, subversive superhero/comic book film.) There was one with Rainn Wilson and another with Woody Harrelson. Very independent productions, though. Maybe a more mainstream one will surface in the next couple of years, though maybe Watchmen's lack of commercial success has turned studios off to the idea.

Erik
01-06-2011, 05:59 AM
I watched Salt and thought it was great untill the end. I thoght the ending was terrible untill i heard they are making Salt 2 so now it makes sense. Cant wait untill it comes out.

The person that recommended it to me said the same thing that you did. I thought they ended it well (with or without a sequel). Nice to hear about the sequel though.

RWB
01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
I've seen one clip from Cannibal Holocaust, and I really don't want to see any more (aside from the morbid curiosity factor). It was these young people catching and then butchering a real live, huge sized turtle. It was upsetting, disgusting, and disturbing. I know some artsy fartsies get off on that, but I don't.

Actually it was pretty boring and way over blown on the exploitation scale. Yeah animal scenes are not cool, but....yeah, you're right no redeeming qualities what so ever with the additional rape/murder and cutting off the penis scene.

bellisimo
01-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Get him to the Greek
It was good fun - enjoyed it - had a few laugh out loud moments

Sparhawk
01-16-2011, 11:18 AM
The Other Guys

Mark Wahlberg is awesome.

Have you seen The Big Hit? Awesome and funny action movie. Has to be one of his first movies.

Sparhawk
01-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Watched Angels and Demons last night. Thought it was really good. The Da Vinci Code just sucked, so I was surprised a bit by this film. Of course the books were better and are entertaining reads if you don't take them seriously.

I only have one movie on my mind and I have to wait. The Green Lantern.

bellisimo
01-17-2011, 05:56 AM
watched The American.

The movie was way too slow paced for me with very little dialogue - i didn't care at all about any of the characters...this is one movie which did not leave an impression on me.

bellisimo
01-17-2011, 06:05 PM
FROZEN

well that was an intense movie. I liked it.

SMosley21
01-17-2011, 06:29 PM
The lady and I saw The Fighter, and The King's Speech, last night. Both were excellent movies.

AesopRockOn
01-17-2011, 11:14 PM
FROZEN

well that was an intense movie. I liked it.

I liked it too, but much more as an unintentional comedy. One of the best of the year, save for the glorious Jonah Hex.

Bball
01-18-2011, 01:22 AM
I watched "The Haunting in Connecticut" the other night. Meh...

pacer4ever
01-18-2011, 01:24 AM
I watched "The Haunting in Connecticut" the other night. Meh...

ya they dramatized that move to much for my likeing

Unclebuck
01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Animal Kingdom

Really good. Slow building though, but really good.

indygeezer
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Country Strong one night and True Grit the next.

CS wasn't as good as my kids led me to believe

True Grit was MUCH MUCH better than I expected. I'd buy the DVD

Hicks
01-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should buy The Social Network on blu-ray.

Unclebuck
01-19-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should buy The Social Network on blu-ray.

Yes, I think you should. That movie will hold up well to multiple viewing. You already pretty much knew the ending even before you saw the movie the first time. This movie is more about the execution (great writing, acting, great score) of the story vs the story itself and I have always found through the years that those type of movies hold up very well over time.

I plan to buy this on blu-ray and probably The Kings Speech also

SMosley21
01-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Watched The Last Horror Movie last night. Terrible movie, absolutely bad. I'm a fan of horror films and that one was a huge let down.

Unclebuck
01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Saw Takers

Not the worst movie you are going to see, and the overall idea was good. But the writing was very bad and while the overall p[lot was ok the execution within scenes was horrible

bellisimo
01-20-2011, 04:57 AM
watched 127 Hours

it was alright but i can't say i liked the way it was done...it felt a bit too "out there" with the direction in my view...thought Buried and Frozen were better in terms of movies in similar concept/idea.

Hicks
01-20-2011, 11:00 AM
I gave in. $16.99 for the BD of The Social Network was too good to pass up. I think I have a problem.

Bball
01-20-2011, 08:54 PM
Does a movie like The Social Network gain anything visually (of note) over an upconverted DVD of it?

Sparhawk
01-20-2011, 08:59 PM
Does a movie like The Social Network gain anything visually (of note) over an upconverted DVD of it?

I would highly doubt it. Unless you can get the blue ray for about the same price as the regular DVD, then I'd just get the DVD.

Hicks
01-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I have an eye for detail. I've yet to watch a BD where I thought "I should have just watched this on DVD".

Pig Nash
01-20-2011, 10:53 PM
I would argue that Fincher's work in The Social Network is more impressive in high definition than movies like Transformers or something.

Bball
01-21-2011, 03:26 AM
I have an eye for detail. I've yet to watch a BD where I thought "I should have just watched this on DVD".

I've been trying to decide if the 3.00 per month extra Netflix charges is worth it for Blu Ray. Especially for movies like a "Social Network" or something that isn't utilizing amazing scenery or CGI to tell its story.

I'd never prefer DVD over Blu Ray (or HD-DVD)... I'm just not sure it's worth the Netflix surcharge for a majority of the movies I watch.

And back on topic-
"Iron Man II"
Little over the top. I liked the first one better. I thought Mickey Rourke made an interesting villain though. Scarlett Johansen is always nice to see. But sometimes explosions, flying robots, and men in metal suits just aren't enough...

RWB
01-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Let me give you two that all should avoid.
The Fugitive
28 Days later

Hicks
01-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Were those early releases in the BD life cycle by any chance? I remember with DVDs that some of those used to be poor quality before studies got better at it.

SycamoreKen
01-22-2011, 12:47 AM
Shrek Forever After

Pretty good. Shrek meets It's A Wonderful Life. Better than i thought it would be.

Sparhawk
01-22-2011, 04:52 AM
Is Despicable Me or Megamind any good?

Pig Nash
01-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Don't know about Megamind, but Despicable Me was pretty funny and the wife and I thought it was pretty cute.

SycamoreKen
01-22-2011, 12:57 PM
I agree, Despicable Me was good. Cute and funny for sure. as a friend said after the movie, "I want me some Minions!"

SMosley21
01-22-2011, 01:41 PM
The girlfriend and I watched Despicable Me a few weeks back and loved it. We have Megamind but haven't found time to watch it yet. I'm expecting good things.

We watched Blue Valentine (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1120985/) last night. It stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams (and her naked tatas), and is a very good film. It's pretty deep so if you're not looking for a nearly 2 hour drama/romance film, you might not look here. I wouldn't categorize it as a chick flick at all though. It deals with the very real side of relationships and how some people gradually fall out of love with one another.

Unclebuck
01-22-2011, 11:12 PM
We watched Blue Valentine (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1120985/) last night. It stars Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams (and her naked tatas), and is a very good film. It's pretty deep so if you're not looking for a nearly 2 hour drama/romance film, you might not look here. I wouldn't categorize it as a chick flick at all though. It deals with the very real side of relationships and how some people gradually fall out of love with one another.

Thanks, I can't wait to see the movie

bellisimo
01-24-2011, 04:44 AM

watched it with my brother and sister in law. I had heard that this movie was either a love it or hate it type of flick....my sister in law and i liked it while my brother was getting bored during the initial first half an hour in to the movie...but after a bit it picked up the pace and he stuck around - wont be his favorite movie but he enjoyed it for what it was in the end.

SMosley21
01-24-2011, 12:11 PM

watched it with my brother and sister in law. I had heard that this movie was either a love it or hate it type of flick....my sister in law and i liked it while my brother was getting bored during the initial first half an hour in to the movie...but after a bit it picked up the pace and he stuck around - wont be his favorite movie but he enjoyed it for what it was in the end.

Watched it a few weeks ago and liked it a lot. The cinematography in the fight scenes was awesome, especially the final scene.

bellisimo
01-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Black Swan

Did I just watch a movie about ballet for 2 hours? I dont really know what to say about this movie. I heard a lot of "talks" about Black Swan is this Black Swan is that...but when it finished i felt like i wasted 2 hours watching something i shouldn't have done so...

The Switch

Your regular dose of romantic comedy - nothing earth shattering.

Unclebuck
01-25-2011, 09:21 AM
http://www.moviefone.com/oscars-academy-awards/nominee-winner

Best Picture
'Black Swan'
'The Fighter'
'Inception'
'The Kids Are All Right'
'The King’s Speech'
'127 Hours'
'The Social Network'
'Toy Story 3'
'True Grit'
'Winter’s Bone'

Best Director
Darren Aronofsky, 'Black Swan'
David O'Russell, 'The Fighter'
Tom Hooper, 'The King's Speech'
David Fincher, 'The Social Network'
Joel and Ethan Coen, 'True Grit'

Best Actor
Javier Bardem, 'Biutiful'
Jeff Bridges, 'True Grit'
Jesse Eisenberg, 'The Social Network'
Colin Firth, 'The King's Speech'
James Franco, '127 Hours'

Best Actress
Annette Bening, 'The Kids Are All Right'
Nicole Kidman, 'Rabbit Hole'
Jennifer Lawrence, 'Winter's Bone'
Natalie Portman, 'Black Swan'
Michelle Williams, 'Blue Valentine'

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale, 'The Fighter'
John Hawkes, 'Winter's Bone'
Jeremy Renner, 'The Town'
Mark Ruffalo, 'The Kids Are All Right'
Geoffrey Rush, 'The King's Speech'

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams, 'The Fighter'
Helena Bonham Carter, 'The King's Speech'
Melissa Leo, 'The Fighter'
Hailee Steinfeld, 'True Grit'
Jacki Weaver, 'Animal Kingdom'

Best Animated Feature Film
'How to Train Your Dragon'
'Illusionist'
'Toy Story 3'

Best Foreign Film
Mexico - 'Biutiful'
Greece - 'Dogtooth'
Denmark - 'In a Better World'
Canada - 'Incendies'
Algeria - 'Outside the law'

Best Original Screenplay
'Another Year'
'The Fighter'
'Inception'
'The Kids Are All Right'
'The King's Speech'

Adapted Screenplay
'127 Hours'
'The Social Network'
'Toy Story 3'
'True Grit'
'Winter's Bone'

Best Art Direction
'Alice in Wonderland'
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part I'
'Inception'
'The King's Speech'
'True Grit'

Best Costume Design
'Alice in Wonderland'
'I Am Love'
'The King's Speech'
'The Tempest'
'True Grit'

Best Original Song
'Coming Home' - 'Country Strong'
'I See the Light' - 'Tangled'
'If I Rise' - '127 Hours'
'We Belong Together' - 'Toy Story 3'

Best Original Score
'How to Train Your Dragon' John Powell
'Inception' Hans Zimmer
'The King's Speech' Alexandre Desplat
'127 Hours' A.R. Rahman
'The Social Network' Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
Best Documentary
'Exit through the Gift Shop'
'Gasland'
'Inside Job'
'Restrepo'
'Waste Land'

Best Film Editing
'Black Swan'
'The Fighter'
'The Kings Speech'
'127 Hours'
'The Social Network'

Best Makeup
'Barney's Version'
'The Way Back'
'The Wolfman'

Best Sound Editing
'Inception'
'Toy Story 3'
'TRON: Legacy'
'True Grit'
'Unstoppable'

Best Sound Mixing
'Inception'
'The King's Speech'
'Salt'
'The Social Network'
'True Grit'

Best Visual Effects
'Alice in Wonderland'
'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1'
'Hereafter'
'Inception'
'Iron Man 2'

Best Documentary (Short Subject)
'Killing in the Name'
'Poster Girl'
'Strangers No More'
'Sun Comes Up'
'The Warriors of Qiugang'

Trader Joe
01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
It looks like I should probably see 127 Hours.

Also, does anyone else think they nominate too many movies for Best Picture? I feel like it should be capped at 5. That would make being nominated a bit of an accomplishment in and of itself.

bellisimo
01-25-2011, 10:21 AM
meh i wasn't a big fan of 127 hours...it was over the top edited...thought Buried was a better movie than this.

RWB
01-25-2011, 11:06 AM
I know 'The Social Network' is really high on eveyrone's list I still have a problem with movies like this. I really hate the based on true events but let's take some real liberties to make it interesting approach. Stick to the facts please..... Kind of like Oliver Stone's JFK movie. I get irritated when the news media is quick to play with the facts and I do feel the same when Hollywood tries to present a movie as fact and believes a tag line somewhere explaining some things have been altered or changed.

Unclebuck
01-25-2011, 12:20 PM
It is a two film race for best picture between the Kings Speech and Social Network.

RWB regardless of how true The Social Network is I think it is a great movie, great writing, great acting.....highly entertaining

Unclebuck
01-25-2011, 12:22 PM
It looks like I should probably see 127 Hours.

Also, does anyone else think they nominate too many movies for Best Picture? I feel like it should be capped at 5. That would make being nominated a bit of an accomplishment in and of itself.

They just changed that last year.

Trader Joe
01-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Well they should go back.

RWB
01-25-2011, 03:00 PM
It is a two film race for best picture between the Kings Speech and Social Network.

RWB regardless of how true The Social Network is I think it is a great movie, great writing, great acting.....highly entertaining

Oh, I would agree, the acting is very good. Frankly, the performance by Justin Timberlake really took me by surprise. If I was rooting for someone to take home an Oscar my choice would be Annette Bening for an unbelievable job in the 'Kids'.

avoidingtheclowns
01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
Pleasantly surprised by the number of noms for Winter's Bone (as well as at least a little recognition for Animal Kingdom). Unlike last year, I have no complaints about the ten films that received nominations for Best Picture. I agree with UB that it's a two film race at this point - Social Network likely being the favorite though by considerably less after the Producers Guild gave it to The King's Speech.

As far as surprises...

I'm surprised the Coen's received a nomination over Christopher Nolan. I know lots of people have wildly different opinions about him, but this is his third Directors Guild Nomination and he still has zero nominations from the Academy. A little odd, considering how high profile he is, that his peers think more highly of him than others.
Speaking of Inception, no idea how it didn't receive a nomination for editing. I can't think of another film this year that relied so much on a skillful editor than a film like Inception involving multiple worlds/levels of dreams and just the length of the film. It could have been a disaster.
Very surprised by Mark Ruffalo getting a nom. I generally enjoy him in just about everything but didn't think his performance in Kids are All Right was award worthy. I guess this could be a combination award for both KaAR and Shutter Island but not sure if that makes sense, either. As far as a possible replacement, off the top of my head I think Andrew Garfield in Social Network may have been more deserving. But good for Ruffalo, in any case.

PaceBalls
01-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Just watched "The Other Guys" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386588/
Hilarious.

/signed Dirty Mike and da Boyz

JB24
01-25-2011, 05:13 PM
Hoping Jacki Weaver pulls out the Best Supporting actress win as I was disappointed to see Leo's one-note performance get the globe a couple of weeks ago. She wasn't even the best supporting actress in her film imo.

And i'm glad to see Incendies get a nom for best foreign film.

Unclebuck
01-25-2011, 05:20 PM
Pleasantly surprised by the number of noms for Winter's Bone (as well as at least a little recognition for Animal Kingdom). Unlike last year, I have no complaints about the ten films that received nominations for Best Picture. I agree with UB that it's a two film race at this point - Social Network likely being the favorite though by considerably less after the Producers Guild gave it to The King's Speech.

I was surprised that Animal Kingdom wasn't nominated for best foreign film. Jacki Weaver was rightly nominated though

avoidingtheclowns
01-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Hoping Jacki Weaver pulls out the Best Supporting actress win as I was disappointed to see Leo's one-note performance get the globe a couple of weeks ago. She wasn't even the best supporting actress in her film imo.

I don't know if it was really one-note as much as I think we've seen Melissa Leo play that role before (like her excellent performance in the almost great Frozen River). If she wins, it will likely be for her body of work.

joeyd
01-26-2011, 12:12 AM
Machete. I laughed so hard I woke up my kids. Danny Trejo makes great use of another man's small intestines in a way that must be seen to be believed!!

Mourning
01-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Looking forward to when "World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles" comes around:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9otTzrO9Bfw" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Just saw "Brothers" last night. I thought it was very good.

Sparhawk
01-26-2011, 10:24 AM
Machete. I laughed so hard I woke up my kids. Danny Trejo makes great use of another man's small intestines in a way that must be seen to be believed!!

I want to see that movie so freakin' bad. Glad it turned out to be a good one.

joeyd
01-26-2011, 11:17 AM
I want to see that movie so freakin' bad. Glad it turned out to be a good one.

If you liked the other grindhouse movies like Planet Terror, you will love Machete. However, I was disappointed that the DVD I rented from Family Video did not have any extras. I at least expected some fake trailers.

AesopRockOn
01-27-2011, 03:47 AM
127 Hours - Really good. James Franco stars alongside Danny Boyle's superb direction. The very end is a little bit of a fart but I guess that's a test audience move. Comparing this to Buried is so off base because the two movies have such different goals, but on overall entertainment value, tough to beat this movie.

The King's Speech - Didn't expect it to be so damn good; I can see why UB's pulling for it so hard. Expected more sentimentality and heart-string pulling, but I got good old fashioned storytelling & acting. Colin Firth is a lock as lead actor, obviously; still not better than Bale though. Lot of respect for this movie.

That said, won't beat out The Social Network. Black Swan is still probably a tad better; Armond White might not be the only dude handing an award to Darren Aronofsky. I thought The Town would still be a contender, but the Academy seems to have put it in its reah-view.

<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset;"> Originally Posted by Trader Joe http://www.pacersdigest.com/images/buttons/PDbuttons//viewpost.gif (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=1145656#post1145656)
Well they should go back.
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
In their defense, the Best Director category kind of does that for them.

I was surprised that Animal Kingdom wasn't nominated for best foreign film.Isn't the category Best Foreign Language Film? Like it has to be primarily non-English? Wouldn't The King's Speech count as a foreign film in that case?

Here's what I would say are the top ten critics/judges will, at this point, choose: Social Network, Winter's Bone, 127 Hours, Toy Story 3, The King's Speech, Inception, True Grit, The Kids Are All Right, Black Swan, and Animal Kingdom in no particular orderI know this is Naptown Sethy, but here is what I posted a couple of weeks ago. The Fighter has gained momentum because of the acting and direction. Animal Kingdom has just fallen by the wayside; no one has seen it. Nawt you, nawt you, and nawt you.

Supporting actress is very interesting. Hailee Steinfeld had the best performance out of everyone there; problem is, it wasn't a supporting performance. I agree on not giving Inception an editing nod, especially while The King's Speech gets one. Balancing time and angles is not necessarily one of the movies strengths; guess it has to be in the Best Picture running though. Lastly, I'm pulling hard for Exit Through the Gift Shop. Best movie of the year in my opinion. Inside Job probably wins for its "timeliness," while timelessness will be ignored. Oh, the brainwashing.

Unclebuck
01-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Just watched An Education for the first time. Great acting, well done movie. I realize it is set in 1961 and times were different. My God she is 16 - wow, I expected at least her parents to wise up at some point

Forgot to mention that I did see The Green Hornet last weekend - it was better than I thought it was going to be. It was funny, fast moving pretty good movie

joeyd
02-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Devil---I have long since given up hope that M. Night will ever duplicate his success with Sixth Sense, but I found this movie to be entertaining. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Unclebuck
02-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Devil---I have long since given up hope that M. Night will ever duplicate his success with Sixth Sense, but I found this movie to be entertaining. 3.5 out of 5 stars.

It is worth noting that M. Night did not direct the move.

Saw The Company Men today. Just not that good. The idea was good, tyhe actors were good, but the writing was just weak and it just wasn't very well done

joeyd
02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
It is worth noting that M. Night did not direct the move.

True, but he wrote and produced the movie, and probably still had his say on this one in terms of artistic license. I liked Devil about as much as I liked signs---enjoyable but not jaw-dropping in terms of a big reveal or Hitchcockian turn.

joeyd
02-05-2011, 11:50 PM
OK, drumroll please.......I just watched Hoosiers. First time I'd ever seen it, though of course I'd seen several clips on the jumbotron at the Pacers game. Don't think I can say anything that hasn't been said before, except that I agree that it does indeed belong in any conversation about the best sports movies ever.

bellisimo
02-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Watched Ramona and Beezus - it was a good family movie - would recommend as an option for a family night.

Unclebuck
02-07-2011, 08:30 AM
True, but he wrote and produced the movie, and probably still had his say on this one in terms of artistic license. I liked Devil about as much as I liked signs---enjoyable but not jaw-dropping in terms of a big reveal or Hitchcockian turn.

I don't want to split hairs, but I've always wondered what the difference was.

According to this Brian Nelson wrote the screenplay and M. Night did the Story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1314655/
Writers: Brian Nelson (screenplay), M. Night Shyamalan (story)

My guess is the screenplay is the actual words and lines........while the story is more about the overall plot structure. So am I wrong that M. Night likely set the story in motion while Brian nelson actually did the work of writing it

avoidingtheclowns
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I don't want to split hairs, but I've always wondered what the difference was.
(snip)
My guess is the screenplay is the actual words and lines........while the story is more about the overall plot structure. So am I wrong that M. Night likely set the story in motion while Brian nelson actually did the work of writing it

Likely, M. Night had the idea and either wrote a treatment for a film (essentially several pages of prose that would illustrate a potential film to a prospective screenwriters, studios or financial backers) or he went as far as to structure the story's beats (outlining the three acts, plot and crisis points, etc of the film) and then commissioned a writer to work from that detailed outline.

grace
02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
The King's Speech.

When they showed Hitler yelling I looked at Kegboy and said, "Is he saying 'Fire O'Brien?'"

joeyd
02-07-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't want to split hairs, but I've always wondered what the difference was.....

No, no, not splitting hairs at all as you raise interesting points...I think the key is actually the producer credit. I've been involved with the production of a couple of locally produced independent movies. Not exactly my day job though, and I'm not suggesting that what I observed actually happens in Hollywood, but in both cases, the producer and director worked very closely with each other and assimilated their ideas nicely into the final product. Now, the title of executive producer(s) I'd be worried about...that title could have been awarded to someone that just contributed financially to the production without having any creative input at all.

AesopRockOn
02-17-2011, 03:40 AM
The Illusionist (L'Illusionniste) - A little French animated movie up for Best Animated Feature. Don't worry about subtitles; it's basically a silent film. Wow. Great execution, animation (save for some bad CG), sense of history, and ballsiness. This is neither Toy Story 3 nor How to Train Your Dragon, both in scope and in overall quality. However, if you enjoy traditional-style animation for an art house crowd, you'll love it. You won't be able to move as the end credits roll (much like Black Swan). By the same guy who did Triplets of Belleville.

Sparhawk
02-17-2011, 09:12 AM
Just watched Iron Man again for like the 11th time last night. That movie is just plain awesome. Didn't really care for the second as much, but it was still decent.

Probably going to see the King's Speech this weekend.

joeyd
02-19-2011, 01:10 AM
Pandorum. Sci-Fi fans might find it somewhat entertaining, but not a classic.

mitch55
02-19-2011, 10:46 AM
GET LOW, with Robert Duvall. might be a little slow for some, as it is a drama, but i loved it!! great story, and Duvall CAN ACT!!!

Peck
02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
I am number 4.

ugh.......

This movie had every single cliche known to mankind. Honestly this would have been much better as a tv show on the cw than a movie.

This really is nothing more than Smallville & Roswell rolled into a very poor movie.

AesopRockOn
02-22-2011, 03:46 AM
Night Catches Us - Cool debut movie about a Philadelphia neighborhood in 1976 after the Black Panthers had mostly dissolved. Strong lead performances by Anthony Mackie and Kerri Washington, and good supporting work by Jamie Hector and Wendell Pierce (Marlow and Bunk from The Wire, respectively), though the script could have been rewritten to give them more time. A nice dramatic, Afrocentric, period piece. Some very good contributions from The Roots for the soundtrack as well.

DGPR
02-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Last night me and the wife watched 3 movies in a row.
Starting with....

It's Kind of a Funny Story: I think Zach Galifinakias is a funny guy so we decided to give this movie a chance. A couple of scenes that made me chuckle but it left me feeling like I've seen this movie before.

Unstoppable: About as much action as you can imagine with 2 people stuck on a train. Denzel plays in a his usual role and Chris Pine didn't do too bad of a job. The side story of Pine's character and his wife and kid didn't really add much to the story for me.

My Soul to Take: This was one of the worst "scary" movies I've seen in a long time. I'm still not sure what happened, as the story seemed so rushed, and the plot twists left me yawning.

Last Friday we also went to see I Am Number Four in theater, and I 100% agree with Peck's take on this movie. I would have liked a little more of a backstory on where they came from. Timothy Olyphant is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors, and he does his role as best he can with a supporting cast of nobodies.

Hicks
02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Batman Returns.

Hadn't watched that all the way through in a LONG time. I remember begging my mom to take me to see it in theaters, when I was just done with 2nd grade. :laugh: She hated it, and she didn't like that I saw it either.

Looking back on it, I can't say I blame her. :D There's some dark/sick (though still tame in some ways by today's standards) stuff going on in that thing. Of course, 90% of that stuff didn't register when I was that young, so most of that didn't matter at the time.

Fascinating to watch it as my 27 (soon) year old self. One of my favorite things is how a movie or TV show you've seen before, maybe several times before, can seem so different when you reach a different age. I love that.

Anyway, some stupid things, some silly thing, some fantastic things (some of them serious, some of them funny), and every bit as surreal as I remember it being.

I'm a Nolan guy now, but there was a time when I swore by the Tim Burton movies. Then again, at the time my choices were Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher.....

AesopRockOn
02-27-2011, 05:17 AM
So, these are about the current Oscar odds, via some gambling site (http://www.betus.com/sportsbook/awards-entertainment_futures-oscars_2011.aspx):

Oscars Best Director

David Fincher (The Social Network) <label for="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl00_ chkBetContestantMoneyline" id="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl00_ lblBetContestantMoneyline">-200</label>
Tom Hooper (The Kings Speech) <label for="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl01_ chkBetContestantMoneyline" id="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl01_ lblBetContestantMoneyline">-110</label>
Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan) <label for="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl02_ chkBetContestantMoneyline" id="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl02_ lblBetContestantMoneyline">+2000</label>
Ethan and Joel Coen (True Grit) <label for="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl03_ chkBetContestantMoneyline" id="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl03_ lblBetContestantMoneyline">+4000</label>
David O. Russell (The Fighter) <label for="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl04_ chkBetContestantMoneyline" id="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl10_repLines_ctl04_ lblBetContestantMoneyline">+4500</label>

Oscars Best Picture

The Social Network <label for="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl11_repLines_ctl00_ chkBetContestantMoneyline" id="ctl00_C_ConstructorLines1_FutureLines1_repHeaderLi nes_ctl00_repHeaderLinesDesc_ctl11_repLines_ctl00_ lblBetContestantMoneyline">+300</label>
The King's Speech -700
The Fighter +3000
Toy Story 3 +10000
Black Swan +2500
Inception +4000
127 Hours +10000
True Grit +3000
The Kids Are All Right +10000
Winter's Bone +8000

I think I will turn to the dark side on The King's Speech if it wins. I enjoyed it, but it should not be remembered as the best movie of 2010. This feels like Shakespeare in Love all over again (even though I was only, like, 8 when that came out).

Kegboy
02-27-2011, 08:42 AM
I think I will turn to the dark side on The King's Speech if it wins. I enjoyed it, but it should not be remembered as the best movie of 2010. This feels like Shakespeare in Love all over again (even though I was only, like, 8 when that came out).

Even though I've only seen it and Inception, I tend to agree. It was a fine movie, but not exceptional by any means. I felt like I was watching a good Masterpiece Theatre, or more accurately, a play.

Speaking of Inception, I need to find the old thread and bump it with something I discovered last night.

Unclebuck
02-27-2011, 10:55 AM
I think the Social Network and The Kings Speech are by far the two best movies of the year and I'll be happy if either win. The Social Network may be a "better" movie, but I loved the Kings Speech more.

I would say both are near perfect movies - the execution of what they were trying to do is perfect.

I will say the Kings Speech is one of those movies that you feel and if the story didn't touch your heart, then yeah I could see where you might not love it (appreciate it yes, but not love it). For example Fields of Dreams did nothing for me at all, I didn't like that movie, but I know others who loved it

SoupIsGood
02-27-2011, 02:55 PM
I Am Number Four was created in a sort of script-factory where James Frey (oprah book liar guy) signs aspiring novelists to sell-your-soul-to-the-devil-type contracts, has them rush out loads of work in ridiculously short amounts of time, and basically takes all the profit and credit for the thing. Number Four is their only success so far, and the author was barred from ever mentioning that he made it. Just an interesting little tidbit I thought I'd share.

The Social Network is a crap movie. I will never understand the mass excitement around it.

Saw Unknown yesterday--not bad. A typical mystery-thriller with little character development, but lots of action, and big goofy Liam Neeson as an action star is oddly compelling.

Pig Nash
02-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Why didn't you like The Social Network?

SoupIsGood
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
I just didn't see anything of merit in the whole thing. It wasn't horrible, and I enjoyed watching it as a pseudo-history of Facebook almost, but as a movie it was just dull and overlong. What did people actually like about it? To me the whole thing was generic Hollywood crap, and I don't see what about this movie was supposed to distinguish it from all the other bland Hollywood flicks released in the past year.

As a comparison point, I thought the movie sucked in the exact way that Benjamin Button did. It was almost exactly the same viewing experience. It presses all the right "Movie of the year!!!" buttons, and passes itself of as a sort of epic, but it is only Hollywood-original in that every move it makes is either trite, bland, or way overdone. You know how people sometimes point out that Donnie Darko is not a "smart" movie, but the kind of movie that makes people think it's a smart movie? BB and TSN are movies that make people think they're great, epic movies.

The rotten tomatoes blurb for TSN claims the movie is a great example of modern filmmaking. :alcohol:It's a shining example of modern filmmaking in the same way that Jonathan Safran Foer's books represent the height of contemporary literature.

Kegboy
02-27-2011, 07:52 PM
I Am Number Four was created in a sort of script-factory where James Frey (oprah book liar guy) signs aspiring novelists to sell-your-soul-to-the-devil-type contracts, has them rush out loads of work in ridiculously short amounts of time, and basically takes all the profit and credit for the thing. Number Four is their only success so far, and the author was barred from ever mentioning that he made it. Just an interesting little tidbit I thought I'd share.

Yeah, I was going to go see it just for Agron and Olyphant, until I found out about all this. No way was I gonna give that guy any of my money.

AesopRockOn
02-27-2011, 11:37 PM
And..... **** The King's Speech.

Pig Nash
02-27-2011, 11:42 PM
We're very far apart on Social Network, Siggy. I loved about everything to do with it. Acting, direction, the score, the editing, the real sense of place the film had. But mostly the amazing script. I'm a sucker for Sorkin.

joeyd
02-27-2011, 11:51 PM
In honor of Oscar night, I watched The Sting. Redford and Newman were indeed very good together.

Trader Joe
02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
British period pieces...if you make one, you will win an Oscar. I honestly think it's the accents.

Unclebuck
02-28-2011, 06:13 PM
British period pieces...if you make one, you will win an Oscar. I honestly think it's the accents.

When did a British period piece win best picture (besides last night)

I dont think the fact that it is a British movie has anything to do with it winning. It was a fantastic movie that evidently was loved by a lot of people

Mackey_Rose
02-28-2011, 08:04 PM

I dont think the fact that it is a British movie has anything to do with it winning. It was a fantastic movie that evidently was loved by a lot of people

Off the top of my head, I might be wrong about one of these, but I remember Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, and Braveheart.

Those are all fairly recent.

Unclebuck
02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Off the top of my head, I might be wrong about one of these, but I remember Shakespeare in Love, The English Patient, and Braveheart.

Those are all fairly recent.

I'll grant you The English Patient , but not the other two IMO.

joeyd
02-28-2011, 10:26 PM

Chariots of Fire won best picture. I still nod off just thinking about that movie.

AesopRockOn
03-01-2011, 05:48 AM
How is Shakespeare in Love not a British period piece? It's British-directed, British-filmed, British-set and British-acted.

The other thing is (Like I said, dark side.) it combines the British period drama (Chariots of Fire, Gandhi, English Patient, etc.) with the disabled/handicapped person accomplishing great things with the help of quirky mentor(s) (Forest Gump, My Left Foot, A Beautiful Mind, etc.). Harvey Weinstein figured this out, pulled the necessary strings, spent the necessary money, and came out much richer.

What the Oscars has to do is mediate the historical footnotes of film. It has to consider both the actual quality of film-making along with popularity. Last year, it chose quality over popularity, a decision that may end up seeming wrong depending on the fates of Kathryn Bigelow and the Avatar franchise, respectively. This year, it missed on both. The King's Speech was neither wildly popular (Toy Story 3 and Inception were both nominated.) nor fantastic, near-transcendent film-making (The Social Network and Black Swan were both nominated.).

But it played the formula perfectly, outsmarting the cranky old Academy voters. Certain character elements + certain story elements + major awards season marketing push = Oscar. Sixty percent of the time. It works every time.

Sparhawk
03-01-2011, 07:40 AM
Finally watched Megamind last night. It was good, but not great. The pacing wasn't the best and brought the movie down. It was definitely better than Despicable Me.

Both movies had minions, so I'm hoping they weren't made by the same company.

Mackey_Rose
03-01-2011, 08:39 AM
I'll grant you The English Patient , but not the other two IMO.

Please explain to me how either Shakespeare in Love or Braveheart are not British period pieces.

They are set in different parts of Britain, and different periods of time, but I fail to grasp how they don't meet the criteria.

Unclebuck
03-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Please explain to me how either Shakespeare in Love or Braveheart are not British period pieces.

They are set in different parts of Britain, and different periods of time, but I fail to grasp how they don't meet the criteria.

I have not seen Skakespeare in Love.

Bottonline I really liked The Kings Speech and I think it deserved to win whether it was a British period piece or set in Kansas. And yes I have seen all ten of the nominees this year.

bellisimo
03-01-2011, 09:42 AM
BRAVEHEART DESERVES ANY AWARD IT RECEIVES :D

Yes I wrote in caps cause that movie is one of my all time favorite flicks.

Hicks
03-01-2011, 10:06 AM
I would say Bravehart is a Scottish period piece that involves Brittain.

Mackey_Rose
03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I would say Bravehart is a Scottish period piece that involves Brittain.

I love Braveheart. One of my favorite all-time movies.

But Braveheart certainly meets the criteria of British period piece. Scotland is one three key components of the island of Great Britain, England and Wales being the other two.

Hicks
03-01-2011, 11:31 AM
So when someone says a movie is a British period piece, does your mind go to people in England speaking with British accents, or people in kilts in Scotland with Scottish accents? I thought so. ;)

Peck
03-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Totally off subject but if any of you watch the tv show Lights Out (which if you aren't you should) did you know that the actress playing Light's wife is the same actress that is William (Mel Gibson) Wallaces wife that dies in the beginning of braveheart?

Mackey_Rose
03-01-2011, 12:25 PM
So when someone says a movie is a British period piece, does your mind go to people in England speaking with British accents, or people in kilts in Scotland with Scottish accents? I thought so. ;)

I can honestly say this is the first, and only time that I've ever thought about British period pieces and Braveheart sprung to mind as one of the Best Picture winners who met the criteria.

cdash
03-01-2011, 02:14 PM

Yeah, I agree. In my mind, I don't see Braveheart as a British period piece. I guess technically, it probably is, but I usually see Scotland and England as two separate entities.

Trader Joe
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Scotland is part of Britain...How is it not a British period piece?

To me the King's Speech was good, but it felt like a play, probably because it is a play. It didn't feel like a film. I dunno.

The Social Network maybe seemed too obvious. You might say how can a movie about Facebook really be that great? But come on the editing, the acting by Eisenberg, you knew what was going to happen and it still engrossed you. Easily should have won IMO.

cdash
03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Scotland is part of Britain...How is it not a British period piece?

Technically it is. I am not going to dispute that. It's just that when I think of Britain and British, I usually think of England and Wales. Scotland kind of has its own identity to me with the kilts and the bagpipes and all that.

Trader Joe
03-01-2011, 03:41 PM
The Welsh and English would probably tell you they're nothing alike either, but I understand what you're saying.

AesopRockOn
03-02-2011, 04:17 AM
I have not seen Skakespeare in Love.

Horrible, wretched piece of trite garbage that makes Pirates of the Caribbean look like thoughtful historical commentary. Plus, needed more Ben Affleck.

So when someone says a movie is a British period piece...

It's kind of just that the British-based accents (Scottish, Australian, New Zealand-ian?, etc.) that seems to add class and gravitas to movies. I would argue that the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Harry Potter empire benefit greatly from casting mainly Brits. Come to think of it, didn't Return of the King (Parts 1 and 2) win Best Picture....

Unclebuck
03-02-2011, 08:40 AM
. Come to think of it, didn't Return of the King (Parts 1 and 2) win Best Picture....

No, only the final one did.

My argument against you is I don't think any movie should be thought of better or worse just because it is a British period piece. If you didn't like The Kings Speech fine, but I think denigrating it by suggeasting it only won or mainly won because it is a British period piece is greatly unfair. The movie will pass the $120 M mark before this weekend in the US. British period pieces don't normally do that

Bball
03-02-2011, 12:08 PM
The movie will pass the $120 M mark before this weekend in the US. British period pieces don't normally do that

...except when they win an Oscar....

Unclebuck
03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
...except when they win an Oscar....

It had made $114M as of Sunday before Oscar announcement.

I was just looking back over the past eleven best picture winners. I've seen all of these but one and here is how I would rate them.

First here are the winners.
2010 - The Kings Speech
2009 - The Hurt Locker
2008 - Slumdog Millionaire
2007 - No Country for Old men
2006 - The Departed
2005 - Crash
2004 - Million Dollar Baby
2003 - Lord of the Ring: The Return of the King
2002 - Chicago
2001 - Beautiful Mind
2000 - Gladiator

My personal favorites
11 - Chicago - Admit I have not seen this
10 - Beautiful Mind -
9 - No Country for Old Men
8 - Crash
7 - Gladiator
6 - Million Dollar Baby
5 - The Hurt Locker
4 - Lord of the Rings
3 - The Departed
2 - The King's Speech
1 - Slumdog Millionaire

(I would put The Social Network probably either 3rd ahead of The Departed or 4th ahead of Lord of the Rings