PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Suaveness
05-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Inside Man is definitely a good movie

N8R
05-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Cold Souls

I watched in without really paying attention to it and over two days so that skewed my opinion of the movie I am sure. I didn't like it, I didnt really get it, and it just seemed very blah hense that having to break up the watching into two days, but to be fair I stopped watching it yesterday because I was interrupted with family stuff.

But the basic outline of the movie is that souls can be extracted from people and stored to lighten your burden and you can put another soul into your body. Paul Giamatti is the main character and he gets his soul extracted so he can get through a tough play he is in, but without a soul he cant act so he puts in a russian poets soul and then realizes he wants his soul back but it is missing. Hilarity ensues (not really).

Skaut_Ech
05-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Just watched Irina Palm (http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/03/21/movies/21palm.html)on the Sundance channel. Interesting premise and more than a bit slow at times, but overall, I really enjoyed it only because of Marianne Faithfull. Anyone else seen this? It's a British film and didn't have a wide release here, so it's one of those little psuedo.gems that no one's probably seen. It's about an older woman who is forced to take a job in a sex shop.....and it's not near as tittilating as you'd think. At it's core, it's more about an older woman dealing with change and tough circumstances.

N8R
05-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Meet Bill

It was alright. Nothing special.

N8R
05-15-2010, 05:33 PM
I Am Legend

I have spoken on a number of occasions and even started or highly contributed to a thread on this movie so it is known how much I like this movie. It had been a few years since watching it or at least well over a year and I still enjoyed it very much. It holds up very well even now, still had its surprises and I noticed even more small things within the movie that I hadn't before. If you havent seen this movie i would recommend it.

N8R
05-16-2010, 12:34 AM
KickAss

Great movie. I wasn't expecting that much violence but that just made the movie that much better. Lots of really cool death, very creative, lots of asses being kicked and just a cool enough story line. I would recommend.

bellisimo
05-17-2010, 07:09 AM
Robin Hood

It was a good movie...but it just lacked something to make it memorable. Basically if you go in to this movie expecting jolly Robin Hood tales, then you are in the wrong mindset. I wanted to see this interpretation of Robin Hood cause I prefer my movies to be a bit more gritty and raw. In that aspect I liked it...

However it was miles away from other greats such as Gladiator and Braveheart...I think its because the story did not make the audience attach to the main character and to root/cheer for him...we were left more in the lines of watching everything and not really get attached emotionally...

Having said that, I would really like it if they did part two with this style and see what comes out from it...

Unclebuck
05-17-2010, 08:19 AM
Iron Man 2

I thought the setup, the first 45 minutes or so were really good. I liked the direction I thought the movie was going, I enjoyed the Senate scene a lot and the scene on the track was really good and memorable. But then tyhe movie got bogged down, convoluted and the ending seemed rushed. Not sure what happened or why, seemed like they didn't know what to do with the second half, or they edited too much out. And I thought most of the humor fell flat.

So what grade can I give a movie that was really good for the first 45 minutes and then stunk after that

bellisimo
05-17-2010, 08:27 AM
Iron Man 2

So what grade can I give a movie that was really good for the first 45 minutes and then stunk after that

incomplete?

thewholefnshow31
05-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Robin Hood

It was a good movie...but it just lacked something to make it memorable. Basically if you go in to this movie expecting jolly Robin Hood tales, then you are in the wrong mindset. I wanted to see this interpretation of Robin Hood cause I prefer my movies to be a bit more gritty and raw. In that aspect I liked it...

However it was miles away from other greats such as Gladiator and Braveheart...I think its because the story did not make the audience attach to the main character and to root/cheer for him...we were left more in the lines of watching everything and not really get attached emotionally...

Having said that, I would really like it if they did part two with this style and see what comes out from it...

I went and saw it yesterday and I completely agree. It was a good movie and like you I like my movies a bit more gritty and raw and not as tame as say Kevin Costner's Robin Hood.

The emotional attachment to Crowe's character was definitely lacking compared to Gladiator or Bravehart.

Hicks
05-17-2010, 11:28 AM

C.

Hicks
05-17-2010, 11:30 AM
I've seen so much "gritty and raw" TV/movies that I'd actually be up for something different.

Roger Ebert had a quote I liked at the top of his review of Robin Hood that, to a point, I agree with: "Little by little, title by title, innocence and joy is being drained out of the movies."

With that said, if this movie were getting better reviews I'd still be up for seeing it, but it sounds very mediocre, and I don't really care to see it right away. I'll probably rent it later.

Kuq_e_Zi91
05-18-2010, 05:50 AM
The Fourth Kind

I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi/Horror movies, especially ones about aliens/apocalypse stuff so I'm a little biased in this review, but I loved this movie. It's definitely one of the better done movies about aliens. Milla Jovovich was great like always and they did a great job of incorporating the real life footage into the movie. Definitely a must see if you're into this kind of thing.

N8R
05-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Precious

Different than what I expected but enjoyable. Monique did a real good job and from the different movies I have seen with the supporting actress, she has been the best.

Hoop
05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
KickAss

Great movie. I wasn't expecting that much violence but that just made the movie that much better. Lots of really cool death, very creative, lots of asses being kicked and just a cool enough story line. I would recommend.

I liked it too and I wasn't really expecting to.

Peck
05-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Just saw Robin Hood.

How you can go for almost 2 & 1/2 hours and have zero character development is beyond me.

It's like someone said, let's take Russell Crowe and put him in an action movie where he can act all stoic and serene while chaos is going on around him, then they decided to make the Robin Hood story. In other words it's like they tried to put Ridley Scott and Russel Crowe together again then decided the film instead of having a film in mind and deciding that Russel Crowe and Ridley Scott would be perfect for it.

I mean technically it wasn't a bad film and I kept seeing things that made me want to see more, but when I say more I mean deeper more not just more action on the screen.

The only real problem I have with this is that this is definately an older Robin Hood & Maid Marion so I don't know if I buy the whole "adventure begins" tone of the movie.

The fight scene on the beach with the French was really kind of pointless and well frankly the whole French thing was pointless.

Like was said above you really walked away from this one not caring about any one character.

I'd rate this about a C.

Kegboy
05-22-2010, 10:37 AM
For those who didn't follow the script debacle of Robin Hood, here's a good article laying out why the movie is such a mess.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/robin_hood_script_russell_crow.html

Hicks
05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
First Blood.

Never saw it before (or part 2 or 3; though I've seen the recent "Rambo").

Pretty good. Though I don't understand why the sheriffs were such dicks to begin with. Seemed unprovoked and they didn't give a reasonable motivation for it. I mean am I really supposed to think they'd treat a war vet like **** just because he was a drifter?

Letting that go, I otherwise thought it was pretty good and I'm glad to have finally seen it. Not sure how hot I am to see 2 or 3, though, as I heard it gets a lot campier.

As a matter of fact, I even watched it a second time later today with Sylvester Stallone giving an audio commentary (that I assume was recorded fairly recently). He's pretty good at giving insight into the filming of the movie, the story, and his character.

Sollozzo
05-24-2010, 12:52 AM
Presumed Innocent with Harrison Ford. I though it was a pretty good court room-type drama, though the twist was kind of easy to see coming.

Los Angeles
05-24-2010, 01:55 AM
First Blood.

Pretty good. Though I don't understand why the sheriffs were such dicks to begin with. Seemed unprovoked and they didn't give a reasonable motivation for it. I mean am I really supposed to think they'd treat a war vet like **** just because he was a drifter?

Letting that go, I otherwise thought it was pretty good and I'm glad to have finally seen it. Not sure how hot I am to see 2 or 3, though, as I heard it gets a lot campier.

As a matter of fact, I even watched it a second time later today with Sylvester Stallone giving an audio commentary (that I assume was recorded fairly recently). He's pretty good at giving insight into the filming of the movie, the story, and his character.

I know in the book, Rambo was much more of a hippie drifter. And good ol' boys of the era really hated hippies. The cops think they're keeping the smelly hippie out of their town, not realizing that a war veteran could be dressed like that.

The movie just gets John Rambo's attire wrong. The guy looks former military all the way, and you have to up the "local sheriffs are dicks" factor in order to move the plot along in the way it's supposed to go.

The "schtick" of course is that Rambo turns out to be the macho hero guy with post traumatic stress disorder who goes on a rampage. Before this, movie rampages were often perpetrated by "heros" like Dirty Harry ("Go ahead, punk.") who god all kinds of fan worship for blowing away dirty long hairs like Rambo.

Then there were lonely psychos like Travis Bickle, but that's a whole other thing.

Eventually, you didn't even need much of an excuse to go on a killing rampage, so the planet had to endure a bajillion action movies that had no shtick at all (other than the governator pretending to be from California).

thewholefnshow31
05-24-2010, 11:23 AM
For those who didn't follow the script debacle of Robin Hood, here's a good article laying out why the movie is such a mess.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/05/robin_hood_script_russell_crow.html

That take on the Robin Hood story would have been really interesting. Given that debacle no wonder the movie was so short on character development.

I agree with Peck that the fight scene at the end with French just seemed so lackluster. I like the French coming to England while the English were fighting among themselves, but the last battle just seemed like a big letdown given the gravity of a French invasion.

N8R
05-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Who Killed The Electric Car

A documentary on the first mainstream electric car in California the EV1. Very interesting storyline behind the movie but I knew most of the information already on the vehicle but they gave some good information on Hydrogen cars and just where vehicles are going in general. Cool Documentary.

N8R
05-24-2010, 08:44 PM
Cheaper By The Dozen

Nice family film.

Peck
05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
First Blood.

Do yourself the favor and just skip parts 2 & 3.

I would have told you to spare yourself the entire Rambo movie as well but since you have already seen it, no harm done.

First Blood however was totally differant from all of the movies that followed.

As L.A. pointed out what you were supposed to get from John Rambo walking through small Washington town (or was it OR?, I'm not sure) is that he looked like a hippy drifter who hadn't bathed, wore military clothing (which was somewhat of an insult to the guys that wore the uniform back then when a Hippie would dare to mock them by wearing the uniform) and generally looked like he had nothing to do but cause trouble. Small town Police wanting to "keep his town safe". If you'll notice the original cop didn't start off by being a total tool. He was polite but firm and did offer him a ride out of town. I'm not saying he wasn't wrong but it's not like he started swinging the night stick the moment he saw him.

Also, and I can't emphasize this enough, you have to understand the context of the movie in the time frame from which it existed.

This was shown in 1982 which was 28 years ago (wow that is a long time when I type it out like that). The Vietnam war has been over now for 35 years so to someone like you it would be like me watching a movie about the Korean war. In other words ancient history. However you have to understand that when this film came out the war had officially only been over for 7 years and unofficially for about 4 to 5 years depending on if you believe some story's about spec. ops. teams still there in 77 or 78. So the wounds were fresh then and for obvious reasons the Vietnam war tore a real rift in our nation and this movie hit on at a time that was perfect for a movie like this to take off.

I have argued for years with people who just claim that this is a mindless shootem up film. I understand that this is an action film and no I won't deny that they did add a lot of action to spice up the film, but there is a real story here and I think a very deep story at that. That is why I used to get all pissy with people who called the film Rambo, because they were doing that to insult the film because films 2 & 3 were just action films that the writers used to just play out the character as a revenge for all of America's woe's at the time. Part 2 had us going back to Vietnam and rescuing P.O.W.'s who were still being held hostage (believe me there were more than a few people who to this day still believe that Vietnam is holding P.O.W.'s) so this tapped into a very popular topic at the time (again think time frame as it was still only 10 years after the war this time). Part three while set in Afghanistan (Ironic that he probably was fighting along side the Taliban at the time considering today's world) was really nothing more than a we can kick Commie @ss whenever we need to.

Again, you've seen the important one. You've even seen the last one.

Stop there and move on to Rocky now.:)

Hicks
05-25-2010, 12:51 AM
I've seen all of the Rocky movies, some of them (well, in parts at least) I've seen many times growing up.

I've never purposefully sat down as an adult to go through them (except for seeing Rocky 6 as an adult), though. I may do that later on.

As for First Blood, Stallone was pretty insightful regarding the true character and story of this film, and it's certainly not mindless like mainstream audiences probably remember.

This guy is right on the thin line between man and animal (or war machine, if you like) due to his past.

When you first see John, he's not on that fence; he's a man who just wants a peaceful post-war life.

But once he finds out the last of his war friends is dead, that's the end of John's life, in a way. He's essentially done, and it's just a matter of how much he falls into being a war machine versus just living a purposeless existence wandering the countryside.

Circumstances obviously unleash the beast, and the movie plays that out.

Apparently the original story doesn't have John riding the fence like Stallone insisted on, and that Rambo just kills pretty much everyone.

Like when he comes across the kid hunting with his dad, he slaughters them all originally (apparently), but for the movie he spares them (and a lot of the sheriffs for that matter). Sly seems to have played a big role in shaping the Rambo we see on the screen.

Fascinating to me, too, were these two nuggets:

1) Earlier on, there was a 3 1/2 hour cut (a whopping 2 additional hours over what we ultimately get at a lean 90 minutes) and it apparently sucked.
2) Originally his army boss (colonel, I think?) was played by Kirk Douglas, who insisted on a ton of changes (I would dare say bizarre changes; including his character "going Rambo" too and ultimately strapping John to the hood of his car as he drives off at the end of the flick). Needless to say, they couldn't see eye to eye and Kirk abandoned the project when his ideas were not adopted.

Stallone mentions how he didn't like it when Ronald Reagen said something like "Rambo is a Republican" because according to Stallone, it's actually far from it. John Rambo isn't a patriot; he hates the military/country for what they turned him into. They're the enemy to him. It only gets worse when he returns home and is called a baby killer, etc.

First Blood is a tragedy in an action flick's clothing.

Oh, and I liked "Rambo" when I saw it. Didn't love it, but liked it. It seemed to return back to who John is/was, while also embracing how much of a badass he (I'm assuming) is in the previous sequels with ripping out throats and that kind of thing.

N8R
05-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Envy

I now know why I havent seen this movie before tonight. Just missing something. You would think that a movie with Ben Stiller and Jack Black would be great but as this movie can attest to it doesn't automatically make it so. Oh well another movie I can add to my list of Movie I Have Seen. 1276 and counting.

Hicks
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
The Descent Part 2

They shouldn't have wasted their time.

The whole thing just felt cheaper (characters, plot, the way it was shot/edited) and their best solution for making up for that was to be more disgusting.

It had one nice jump-out scare (jumping out from the dark when I'm looking at the night-vision on the other half of the screen), and I dug having Juno still toughing it out down there (well, ignoring how they glaze over he knee injury), but really I can't get this baby sent back to Netflix fast enough. :laugh:

MagicRat
05-25-2010, 02:49 PM
3 Ninjas

That Tum-Tum cracks me up......

Hicks
05-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Loved that one as a kid.

N8R
05-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Unthinkable

Good movie. Now sure when it is actually supposed to be released into Theatres but I caught a sneak peak today. Makes you think a little, wonder and ultimately enjoy the movie. Stars Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Sheen, Carrie Anne Moss and a very other recognizable actors. Very well done.

bellisimo
05-26-2010, 08:33 AM
KICK-A$$

That was a fun flick...Hit Girl looks like my cousin so it was bonus fun watching it with the thoughts of my cousin doing those things :D

Los Angeles
05-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I'll never forget going to see Rambo: First Blood Part II followed by the original Terminator as a drive in double feature.

I was way too young for the "Hard R" ratings, but I had bragging rights for a quite a while with my friends. Terminator totally freaked me out as a kid.

N8R
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
The Men Who Stare At Goats

Really didn't know what it was going to be about. enjoyable movie with some twists and turns and it would be interesting to know how much of it was based on a true story because if even 20% of it was that is still rather ridiculous.

N8R
05-27-2010, 04:09 PM
The Unloved

It is a UK film about the child care system over there told through the experiences of one 11 year old girl Lucy. She is in a child care home because her father beat her with a belt and she is just trying to figure out why she can't live with her mom, and basically just trying to find someone to love her. It was a pretty depressing movie but good nonetheless.

N8R
05-27-2010, 06:15 PM
The Burbs

A good classic film. Early Tom Hanks in suburbia with the suspicion that his neighbours are killing people. Hilarity ensues.

indygeezer
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
IM2

N8R
05-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Stardust

In a world that is truly unbelievable a young Tristan, has never known his mother and his father has kept the truth a secret. They live beside a magical land known at Stormhold, where impossible has no name. Tristan falls for a girl in his homeland and goes to Stormhold to prove his love to her.

It is actually a very well done movie. I enjoyed it a lot. It became predictable but it was a well done predictability.

Unclebuck
06-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Saw several movies over the weekend

The Wolfman - boring, just boring. I often enjoy restrained or low key thrillers, but this movie was just boring. And extremely forgettable.

It's Complicated - extremely entertaining, several funny scenes, but more than anything highly watchable and entertaining.

The Stepfather - really insulting - but I will admit it held my attention throughout, but most of the time i was yelling at the screen saying how stupid can you be to the characters,.

Bad Lieutenant: Port of NO. - Finally a good role for Nick Cage - really over-the-top movie, but oddly entertaining. if you are in the right mood this can be good.

Prince of Persia - have you ever sat through a whole movie and when it was over you could not tell anyone what the plot was about, not one thing. Not sure my mind has ever wandered more during a movie.

from what I have seen and I realize we are only 5 months in but I think 2010 has been a horrible year for movies and I am talking about movies released in 2010 - not some of the Oscar type movies released at the tail end of 2009.

I read I think in USA Today that there are actually fewer movies this summer and fewer big budget movies because of the recession and the 2008 writers strike.

bellisimo
06-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I gotta agree with you on that Buck...summer has been pretty disappointing so far with regards to movies...

Bball
06-01-2010, 06:09 PM
I gotta agree with you on that Buck...summer has been pretty disappointing so far with regards to movies...

I guess maybe I haven't been paying attention but what movies are people waiting on this spring/summer?

I know Iron Man 2 had some hype and buzz for it but I can't think of anything else generating any kind of anticipation or pre-release buzz.

Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention... or maybe my mind is starting to go.... :crazy:

Kuq_e_Zi91
06-01-2010, 09:53 PM
I guess maybe I haven't been paying attention but what movies are people waiting on this spring/summer?

I know Iron Man 2 had some hype and buzz for it but I can't think of anything else generating any kind of anticipation or pre-release buzz.

Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention... or maybe my mind is starting to go.... :crazy:

I'm looking forward to:

Splice
Grown Ups
Inception
Salt

Hicks
06-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I want to see Predators and Inception.

Unclebuck
06-02-2010, 08:29 AM

The only big budget movie that seems interesting at all to me is Inception . Leo and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are in the movie and it is directed by Christopher Nolan. That alone is enough to get me interested.

bellisimo
06-02-2010, 08:54 AM
honestly nothing really caught my eye as a "must see" flick this summer. I'm a bit curious about Inception only cause finally they managed to create a trailer that doesn't give away the whole movie.

I was looking forward to Robin Hood but it was a bit of a disappointment for me as it did not have that heavy epicness as Gladiator or Braveheart did...Iron Man 2 was also "meh"...nothing memorable...

For fun though I will definitely check out A-team just to go down the memory lane

btowncolt
06-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Watched Up again. That first 10 minutes gets me every time.

N8R
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Backdraft

I remember hearing about this movie when it first came out and I wasn't old enough to watch it but I always thought I had seen it. It is a pretty great movie though. Stars Billy Baldwin, Kurt Russell and Robert De Niro. It is about two brothers (Baldwin & Russell) who follow in their father's footsteps by becoming firemen, one brother Steven (Russell) knew he wanted to be a fireman from an early age and has become the team leader in NC17 in Chicago while Brian (Baldwin) never knew if he could make it and tries his had. An arsonist is setting backdraft fires around the city that are killing people and Brian and Donald (De Niro) work together as Fire Inspectors trying to find the common link.

I enjoyed it. I was surprised I hadn't seen it before. Well done, believable fires, good acting and a pretty good storyline. Some parts were predictable but they did it in a good way. Directed by Ron Howard.

N8R
06-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Layer Cake

Good movie starring Danile Craig (the new Bond). Well done, good acting, decent amount of violence, the only thing missing was a good set of boobs.

N8R
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Letters From Iwo Jima

Directed by Clint Eastwood about the second world war. Well done. Wish it wasn't all subtitles but it makes it more accurate. Good film, little long, slow at points but well done.

Hicks
06-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Get Him to the Greek

I liked it.

Couldn't have imagined going in that I'd get to see Chief O'Brien from Deep Space Nine getting high and getting into a brawl with P. Diddy. :laugh:

N8R
06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Serenity

A film by Josh Whedon, It is rated an 8/10 on IMDB which surprised me. I mean I liked it and all but to me it wasn't anything special.

ilive4sports
06-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Get Him to the Greek

I liked it.

Couldn't have imagined going in that I'd get to see Chief O'Brien from Deep Space Nine getting high and getting into a brawl with P. Diddy. :laugh:

I just got back from seeing this, i thought it was hilarious. It lived up to my expectations and I am very happy about that. Jonah Hill's little quirks throughout the movie were great.

Pig Nash
06-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I loved it. Forgetting Sarah Marshall was really under rated and Aldous was one of the funniest parts. Giving him (basically) his own movie was a great idea.

Why is it a Jeffrey? Cuz who's afraid of Jeffrey, he's just the bloke that moved in down the street! :lol:

N8R
06-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief

I enjoyed it more than I expected. Had the predictability of all movies more than enough cheese but I enjoyed it.

N8R
06-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Once Were Warriors

Great film. Made in 94 over in New Zealand. The struggle of one Maori family trying to cope with the hardships of their life. Very violent, very drunk, very dangerous. A great film though.

N8R
06-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Food Inc

Takes a look at the food industry and what is wrong with it. Very interesting and very good.

N8R
06-05-2010, 08:59 PM
Day Of The Dead

Based on a George A Romero story which means you know there is going to be a lot of zombie violence and true to the thought this movie has many deaths, very gruesome and over the top... all the things you want in a good zombie movie. For the zombie lovers out there this is a good one.

N8R
06-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Flags Of Our Fathers

Another war film directed by Clint Eastwood. The film basis itself around the famous photograph of the soldiers raising the flag in Iwo Jima. It was interesting first watching Letters From Iwo Jima and seeing the Japanese side of the story and then watching Flag Of Our Fathers and seeing familiar scenes but form the American side. I am now wondering if these films are connected by more than just Clint Eastwood being the director in both. It was an alright film, dragged on a little bit. I enjoyed Letters From Iwo Jima more.

Suaveness
06-06-2010, 02:32 AM
Prince of Persia- I really liked it a lot. I thought the music and acting were both entertaining.

Unclebuck
06-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Not sure why I waited so long to watch this movie, I really, really enjoyed it, extremely powerful and a very different look at the topic. Great to see it from a little boys perspective. Highly recommed this movie

Stryder
06-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Shrek Forever After...

Ok. It had its moments, but definitely not as good as the first three movies. Any new parent can relate to what Shrek is going through, though!

thewholefnshow31
06-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Observe and Report

There were some funny parts in it, but not as funny as I thought it would be. Also, I could have done without seeing a naked fat man run around the mall at the end of the movie.

N8R
06-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Lions For Lambs

A very forgettable political war drama.

bellisimo
06-08-2010, 04:47 AM
She is Out of Your League

I'm sorry...but that girl was not out of your league or anyone elses...surely they could've found another actress that was more of a "10" than her...no?

Kegboy
06-08-2010, 09:31 AM
She is Out of Your League

I'm sorry...but that girl was not out of your league or anyone elses...surely they could've found another actress that was more of a "10" than her...no?

Spoken by the Don Juan of Eastern Europe. I haven't seen it, but I'm sure she'd be just fine to the rest of us.

:-p

Will Galen
06-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I've always been a movie buff. I used to go to the movies and take in two movies back to back. Then I started renting movies and I would watch three or four back to back. (You can do that when your not married.)

However, most movies coming out today I find boring. My son knows what kind of movies I like and gave me a copy of Avatar to watch. That was about two weeks ago. Since then he's asked me a couple times if I had watched it yet.

I watched it today and I thought it was great! So great I'm going to go out and buy myself a copy!

N8R
06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
The Cove

A great film about a horrible action that goes on in Taiji, Japan every September. It is the film about the slaughter of dolphins that happens every year from September-March and around 23,000 dolphins are killed for their meat that contains an unhealthy amount of mercury that is poisoning the people who eat it making the slaughter absolutely useless. The city of Taiji is trying to keep the whole thing under wraps so that the world doesn't realize what is going on.

It was a well done documentary, with great footage of the actual slaughter, sounds of the dolphins being slaughtered and it won the 2010 Academy Award for Best Documentary so on the level alone it was very good, held my attention and made me really ****ing pissed off about the whole thing.

SycamoreKen
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Sherlock Holmes

Pretty good. Wish i had seen it in the theater. Robert Downey Jr., action hero? never saw that one coming in the '80s, but he is pretty good.

Unclebuck
06-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Splice - Not a great or even very good movie - it was OK. But I will say at least it was original - it went in a few direction you didn't know were coming. Similar in some ways to Species, but not really.

Youth in Revolt - Michael Cera is funny I think. Funny movie, I would recommend it

thewholefnshow31
06-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Get Him to the Greek

I loved it. It had me laughing throughout the entire movie. My biggest surprise was how well P. Diddy in that movie. I would defiantly put it up there with Hangover and Superbad.

N8R
06-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Hot Tub Time Machine

Funny overall. There was a lot that I saw coming from a mile away but I mean most comedies I find are like that. It was a stupid idea but done in a clever way.

N8R
06-14-2010, 11:15 AM
The Book Of Eli

I really like this one. I am partial to anything that Denzel Washington does and this was no different. He was able to play a pretty good badass in this movie. If you don't know this movie, it takes place in a post apocalyptic world and Denzel's character has a book that contains the words to help save humanity.

Unclebuck
06-14-2010, 01:30 PM
The Book Of Eli

I really like this one. I am partial to anything that Denzel Washington does and this was no different. He was able to play a pretty good badass in this movie. If you don't know this movie, it takes place in a post apocalyptic world and Denzel's character has a book that contains the words to help save humanity.

I thought it was excellent also. Actually of all the movies released in 2010 so far this has been my favorite movie. (that is more of an indictment of how horrible the movies have been this year)

Kegboy
06-14-2010, 08:38 PM
The A-Team

Went with Grace, our brother and 14-year old niece. Did not expect much going in, but we were all rather shocked at how much we liked it. Really captured the spirit of the show, a great deal of laugh-out-loud humor. Even the :rollout: moments were better than I expected, like the flying tank. Easily the best fun action movie I've seen since the first Iron Man.

As an aside, for anyone who saw The Losers a couple months back, it's shocking how much they copied from this. I knew it was an A-team ripoff, and that Hollywood cannibalizes scripts, but when "Port of Los Angeles" came up on the screen I practically groaned. Thankfully, even though the finale is the worst part of this film, it's still much better than what they cobbled together for Losers.

[edit] Also, for District 9 fans, while Neeson and Cooper acquit themselves well, Copley steals the show. Hard to believe he never acted before.

Suaveness
06-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Get Him to the Greek- meh, it was ok. I thought the Hangover was much better. This wasn't bad per se, but the story with Hangover was better to follow. Russell Brand was hilarious, though.

Natston
06-15-2010, 04:23 AM
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

Finally watched it, and probably would have liked it more if I had watched it before watching the remake. With that said, I prefer the original hands down...

Garden State

It's the indie movie that Zach Braff wrote and directed. Decent movie, but kinda underwhelming at the same time. Some good laughs sprinkled throughout...

Natston
06-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Observe and Report

There were some funny parts in it, but not as funny as I thought it would be. Also, I could have done without seeing a naked fat man run around the mall at the end of the movie.

The best part though is when he's sitting in the food court talking to her, and you see that penis come into frame...

:laugh::uhoh::devil:

duke dynamite
06-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Alice in Wonderland

- Pretty good, I liked how it just wasn't a remake of the original story, or Disney's first story, but a sequel.

Doddage
06-15-2010, 06:04 PM
The Karate Kid (2010)

I was impressed by this one. There are some things that could have been improved upon, but overall it was a very good remake of the original. At the same time, it had just enough of a new flavor to separate it from the original. Jackie Chan did a great job in particular.

cdash
06-15-2010, 11:17 PM
Groundhog Day

No, I really had never seen it before a couple nights ago. Good movie, as any movie with Bill Murray in his prime would be. I think it's a little overrated though.

Day-V
06-15-2010, 11:40 PM
I watched the A-Team and was surprisingly entertained. It's a very fun movie with some pretty clever stuff. The dude that played H.M. was probably the highlight of the movie. Oh, and they fly a ****ing tank.

Could've done without Jessica Biel though. Is it just me, or is she a horrible actress? Her characters in movies never have any emotion. That doesn't change in this movie.

N8R
06-16-2010, 04:48 PM
Green Zone

It was alright. Nothing too new brought up in this movie. Matt Damon did a good job acting and a few other stand outs but again nothing new.

Unclebuck
06-18-2010, 08:15 AM
I have never seen this before. A movie getting a perfect approval rating

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_3/

every critic likes it

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 09:13 AM
I have never seen this before. A movie getting a perfect approval rating

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_3/

every critic likes it

reserved my tickets for a sunday showing! looking forward to it...Pixar almost always comes through...

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Pixer is 11/11. They have never made a bad movie.

Stryder
06-18-2010, 09:26 AM

I'll agree with that.

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 09:28 AM

they know how to make and tell a story. Which goes to show you that even if what you're watching is animated objects, with a good story line - it can be magical.

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 09:35 AM
I even shed a tear during Wall E. Their stories are beautiful...you feel a slight sense of loneliness, but then it all comes together.

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I even shed a tear during Wall E. Their stories are beautiful...you feel a slight sense of loneliness, but then it all comes together.

same could be said of UP. The first 10 minutes hits you in the gut...hard...

N8R
06-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Pixar does good work!

Here is IMDB giving is a 9.5/10 with just over 1000 votes. It will be interesting if it stays this high

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0435761/

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 12:08 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/toystory3

Metacritic has it at 90, which you really can't get much higher there. I can't wait to see this.

bellisimo
06-18-2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/toystory3

Metacritic has it at 90, which you really can't get much higher there. I can't wait to see this.

dont let all these great scores ruin the movie for you by creating unrealisitc expectations though...

N8R
06-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I actually have low expectations for this movie. Personally I think it will be just alright. I dont know if I will see it in the theatres or not.

Pig Nash
06-18-2010, 04:36 PM
My wife and I are going to see it tonight.

Suaveness
06-18-2010, 04:36 PM
dont let all these great scores ruin the movie for you by creating unrealisitc expectations though...

When it comes Pixar, it won't. :)

Hicks
06-18-2010, 07:46 PM
I saw Toy Story 3 a few hours ago. It's good stuff. Some moments really shine, and the whole thing is at least solid.

Pig Nash
06-18-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah I really enjoyed it. The end was totally over the top but I still cried a little. I grew up with those toys too.

Day-V
06-18-2010, 10:47 PM

I didn't care too much for A Bug's Life. :whoknows:

N8R
06-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Romeo + Juliet

Yup the one with Claire Danes and Leonardo Dicaprio. I figured it was a modern take on the play which I mean it was but it also used the language word for word which I didn't like. It was alright.

N8R
06-19-2010, 01:44 AM
He Was A Quiet Man

Odd ball movie but really well done. Christian Slater played a GREAT role. Best I have seen him since I can even remember but Elisha Cuthbert is NO actress, good to look at yes, good at acting, no dice.

Great story for the first 30 or so minutes then it sort of dropped off a bit, picked up but the ending was a littler unexpected. I liked it enough to recommend it to the PD audience.

N8R
06-20-2010, 10:50 AM
What did you think of Tyson?

bellisimo
06-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Toy Story 3 - it was good :)

Los Angeles
06-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Get Him to the Greek

The weird thing about this movie is that I remember laughing quite a bit, but when the movie was over I couldn't remember or describe the funny parts of the movie. OK, I remembered the lyrics to "Bangers Beans and Mash". That was funny as hell.

It was also good to see a drug movie where drug use was neither glorified nor outright condemned. The characters did seem to sober up unrealistically fast, however.

duke dynamite
06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Toy Story 3.

Wow, Disney did it this time. This wasn't just a run-of-the-mill pull the brand out of the vault type of sequel. It really had a great story and actually struck some emotions as well. I wouldn't expect that from Disney at all.

bellisimo
06-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Toy Story 3.

Wow, Disney did it this time. This wasn't just a run-of-the-mill pull the brand out of the vault type of sequel. It really had a great story and actually struck some emotions as well. I wouldn't expect that from Disney at all.

I was scared for a second that they were going to pull a page from the 1984 Transformers movie where they killed Optimus Prime during the garbage scene...was happy that they did not end it that way!

Los Angeles
06-21-2010, 06:47 PM
I thought Toy Story 3 was Pixar, not Disney.

Pig Nash
06-21-2010, 07:17 PM
It is. Although I think they're back together now.

bellisimo
06-21-2010, 07:22 PM

its Disney*Pixar

Check out Disney-Pixar's official Toy Story site, watch the Toy Story 3 trailer, and meet new characters. Remember, no toy gets left behind!

http://disney.go.com/toystory/

Trader Joe
06-21-2010, 08:16 PM
Watching Cast Away right now...

Day-V
06-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Watching Cast Away right now...

I'm sorry to hear that.

Suaveness
06-22-2010, 09:23 AM
Toy Story 3.

Like said, it's Disney-Pixar.

But don't fool yourself, this is all Pixar's work. Disney doesn't have the ability to do this well.

Shade
06-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Toy Story 3

Amazing. Dare I say, even better than the first two.

9/10

Ms. Piggy
06-23-2010, 12:35 PM
30 For 30: The Two Escobars

Never even heard of this story (probably because I was only 7). It was very well put together and a moving story.

Pig Nash
06-23-2010, 12:45 PM
/\

Seconded.

SycamoreKen
06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Knight and Day

Classic Tom Cruise. It was a fun movie with both Cruise and Diaz working well together.

N8R
06-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Where did you see that Two Escobars Movie there Mr and Mrs Pig?

Pig Nash
06-24-2010, 09:42 PM
ESPN

Suaveness
06-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Toy Story 3....I love Pixar

Since86
06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Watching the end of Kick-*** right now.

Not what I expected. That's for sure.

Suaveness
06-26-2010, 12:28 AM
The A-Team- I thought it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the acting, as I'm a big fan of Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper. And the fellow who played Murdock was hilarious.

Natston
06-26-2010, 01:09 PM
Gamer

Turrible, Turrible, Turrible...

Even if it got past all it's ****ups and shortcomings, it'd still be a piece of **** at it's core. The movie's premise supposedly abhors violence and dehumanization... Yet it's chock full of gratuitous violence, meaningless nudity, and a paper thin plot with it's target audience being people that want to see gratuitous violence, meaningless nudity and paper thin plots.

HC
06-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I watched Adventureland yesterday. I rented it off of netflix on a whim, and it turned out to be pretty decent.

N8R
06-26-2010, 10:17 PM
How To Train Your Dragon

Great movie. Wasn't expecting too much but I had only heard good things about it, so I assumed I would like it. Didn't know i would enjoy it as much as I did though.

N8R
06-26-2010, 10:23 PM
Halloween 2: Rob Zombie Version

This is the sequel to Rob Zombie's remake of John Carpenter's Halloween series. I assume most movie goers have seen at least one Halloween movie in there day and heard about he Rob Zombie remakes. I enjoyed the first one a great deal, gave a new outlook, delved into the Mike Myers character and just had some great gore. This movie however was just really weird, seemed like they were trying too hard or something but just some stupid themes, some stupid scenes and then the predictability and ridiculousness of the old Halloween movies, but the end was very unexpected. Good gore, good gratuitous nudity and lots of death, so still enjoyable but not as good as number his first try.

N8R
06-26-2010, 10:31 PM
So as most of you PDers and Movie Thread PDers know I am a huge movie buff. Over the past number of months I have been compiling and alphabetizing all of the movies I have seen and can remember. And I mean any movie that I have seen since age 0. Here is what I have so far. Now is there is a space it is due to me screwing up a title and having to delete but the stupid program I have wont let me get rid of the number, and question marks mean I am not sure if I have seen it or if I have seen it not sure how many in the series I have seen. So here goes:

Edit: too long to scroll to other parts of the page.

bellisimo
06-27-2010, 12:11 PM
yea no way am i going to list all the movies i watched...not gonna happen :D

N8R
06-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Grosse Pointe Blank

Meh. Nothing special. A little predictable like most movies. Just another one to add to the list.

SycamoreKen
06-27-2010, 04:21 PM
And the Band Played On Very good movie. I know it was made from one side's point of view and has an obvious political leaning, but it does show how the AIDS Epidemic was handled from the beginning here in the US. Scary. A very good cast.

N8R
06-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Catch Me If You Can

Great movie.

Unclebuck
06-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Hot Tub Time Machine
pretty funny especially for those of us who grew up in the 80's, although even if you never lived in the 80's would probably still find it funny

The White Ribbon
This is one of those movies that I admired - it was well done, important, but I will admit I really didn't find it enjoyable.

bellisimo
06-28-2010, 10:00 AM
The Book of Eli

didn't know too much going into it...i was expecting something different...

N8R
06-28-2010, 10:02 AM
I was expecting something different when I watched it too Belli, but I really enjoy it. Did you at least enjoy the film?

bellisimo
06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
it was a bit religious for me but it was alright.

RWB
06-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Grosse Pointe Blank

Meh. Nothing special. A little predictable like most movies. Just another one to add to the list.

I really enjoy this movie, guess that's why someone will rate something as a 5 and the next guy would say a 1.

Bball
06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I really enjoy this movie, guess that's why someone will rate something as a 5 and the next guy would say a 1.

And of course your mood when you watch something and expectations are always factors too.

Since86
06-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Actually watched 3 movies yesterday.

Toy Story 3
I think it was overhyped for me. I was expecting a grandslam, and I got a 2run HR. I really can't complain, but I expected more. At the end, I did look over at my GF and she had tears running down her face. Even though she cries at the drop of a hat, I still didn't think it would be able to get that kind of reaction from a viewer.

I'm really glad it didn't go with the usual, and had Lotso find redemption. Him screwing over Woody and bunch, and then getting tied on to the bumper was a lot better than him coming in and saving the day by turning off the belt.

She's Out of Your League
Eh. I didn't expect much from it, and it delievered in that aspect. It was so stupid, it was funny. I know Belli said she wasn't as hot as the movie was trying to portray, which I kind of agree with, but I forgot all about that when she took off that dress.

When In Rome
Ummm... bad. Just plain awful. I actually like chick flicks. I'll watch them by myself, even if I've never saw it before. I don't really know why, but I like the corny comedy of them. They're the most predictable movies, but I still find them mildly entertaining.

With that said. Again, just plain awful. I would expect that a straight to DVD movie. It just didn't hit on any level. Although I will say, LT's cameo with what has happened with him in the past month or so made me chuckle. That was probably the highlight of the movie for me, and if it's something that stupid/small, you know it was just a horrible movie.

Suaveness
06-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Because I'm so excited, I'm putting this in TWO threads. HP7!!!

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB5B8CugG-A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tB5B8CugG-A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Ms. Piggy
06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
The Shawshank Redemption
Such a great movie. Nash had never seen it, but it's my second favorite movie of all time, so I made him watch it ;)

Unclebuck
06-29-2010, 08:21 AM
The Shawshank Redemption
Such a great movie. Nash had never seen it, but it's my second favorite movie of all time, so I made him watch it ;)

That was a good decision - it is in my top 5 alltime. And it is a movie that I can watch at least once a year and still enjoy each time i watch it

Mourning
06-29-2010, 08:27 AM
And the Band Played On Very good movie. I know it was made from one side's point of view and has an obvious political leaning, but it does show how the AIDS Epidemic was handled from the beginning here in the US. Scary. A very good cast.

Agreed! I think I saw it quite a number of years ago.

RWB
06-29-2010, 09:10 AM
The Shawshank Redemption

Almost any prison movie is a good one.

Green Mile
Cool Hand Luke
Brubaker
The Longest Yard (the original)
Bad Boys (Sean Penn edition)

N8R
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Hey Ms Piggy if Shawshank is number two what is you number one?

SycamoreKen
06-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Hey Ms Piggy if Shawshank is number two what is you number one?

I'm betting on Babe or Charlotte's Web:p

N8R
06-29-2010, 03:32 PM
hahahah

Pig Nash
06-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Her favorite is Schindler's List.

I thinly its a good movie but I don't like it. Depressing.

N8R
06-29-2010, 03:45 PM
American History X is in my top 5,

Pig Nash
06-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I love that one. I don't know. I like depressing movies sometimes but that one (schindlers list) just didn't do it for me.

RWB
06-29-2010, 04:54 PM
American History X is in my top 5,

See, another movie with some prison scenery in it. :D

SycamoreKen
06-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Ernest Goes to Jail wasn't on your list.

idioteque
06-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Toy Story 3. I haven't been to the movies for over a year and I thought it was really pretty good. There was a 50 year old dude next to me crying which was somewhat interesting.

GO!!!!!
06-29-2010, 09:45 PM
Tropic Thunder... again.... Classic Movie, some of the best one liners in recent memory...

I weep till we get the sequel....

Twes
06-30-2010, 08:02 AM

N8R
06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
it was on the list actually

SycamoreKen
06-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Tropic Thunder... again.... Classic Movie, some of the best one liners in recent memory...

I weep till we get the sequel....

I've got that one cued up in Netflics, which we finally joined. Not sure why we didn't before.

Transformers 2

It was good. It was too long and drawn out though.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-03-2010, 11:27 PM
The Proposal

Murph would love this romance comedy. Sandra Bullock really kept me interested in this one. It was a little predictable, but as far as romance comedies go, it wasn't that bad.

Hicks
07-04-2010, 12:00 AM
TS: Eclipse

Yet another bland edition of this series. I only like it because I like vampire/werewolf stuff (to a point). Compared to Buffy, this is weak sauce. But it's enjoyable if you like this kind of thing. Just very bland.

SycamoreKen
07-04-2010, 12:04 AM
Considering the target audience for TS is young girls/older women that are drooling over the young men in the movies, I would doubt that it would be too hard core.

Hicks
07-04-2010, 12:09 AM
It's not even that, really, it's just that not a lot is really even going on in these things. They're more like three-part episodes of a would-be TV show. With the plot of maybe a two-part episode. Maybe.

And you know, it bugs me that for all the time Edward and the others talk about how awful it is to be a vampire, the movie sure does a terrible job of actually SHOWING ME why it's so terrible. He keeps going on about losing your soul, yet clearly he's capable of loving someone and being a good, caring person, so what exactly is so damning about being a vamp in this universe? I mean it's not perfect, but compared to other universes with vampires, they've got it pretty good.

N8R
07-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Hot Tub Time Machine & The Departed

My cousin is in town and he hadn't seen other and he wanted to watch Hot Tub Time Machine and I said if we watch that then I had to show him The Departed. He liked HTTM and really like The Departed. There are so many movies I have to open his eyes to.

Stryder
07-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Considering the target audience for TS is young girls/older women that are drooling over the young men in the movies, I would doubt that it would be too hard core.

I'm not sure how they'll keep some of the events in Breaking Dawn kiddified.

bellisimo
07-04-2010, 08:55 AM
The Men Who Stare at Goats

there were a few moments here and there but overall i didnt enjoy the movie.

Hot Tub Time Machine
if you don't worry about the whole time traveling "realisticness" its a good movie

Hicks
07-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street 2 and 3

2 was "meh". Not bad, though. Just forgettable. It was hilarious hearing the lead actor literally scream like a girl multiple times (and I'm guessing that wasn't in the script) :laugh:

3, however, was a pleasant surprise. Pretty good stuff, and it would have wrapped that story up well had they left it alone.

But no, I have part 4, 5, 6, and 7 and to get to. :sigh: I've known for years how many of these things there are, and I've seen bits and pieces of a few of them before, but now that I've seen 3, it's a shame they didn't let it end there because the story/writing, the characters/actors, Freddy's powers/world, the effects were all pretty damn good in this one, and they try to wrap things up (effectively, IMO).

Guess that's horror franchises for you.

In fact, I believe they're filming Scream 4 right now.....

Trader Joe
07-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Hicks, it's not a movie, but if you like vampire/werewolf stuff you might want to check out True Blood.

Los Angeles
07-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Hicks, it's not a movie, but if you like vampire/werewolf stuff you might want to check out True Blood.

Campy, but also about 8,000 times better than that twilight bull-****.

Trader Joe
07-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, it is campy LA, but I can dig it. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

N8R
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Shawshank Redemption

Been on a great movie watching spree lately.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Up In The Air

Finally got around to seeing this and I absolutely loved it. I don't remember the last time I felt so many different emotions in one movie. George Clooney was brilliant.

SycamoreKen
07-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Saw 2 today. (I love Netflix on demand)

The Taking of Pelham 123

Better than I thought it would be. We enjoyed it. It was interesting seeing 2 supporting actors that we had just watched in Transformers 2 in completely different types of roles. I don't remember their names and am too lazy to look them up.

The Proposal

We knew where this was going when it started, but it entertaining. On a side note, I had no clue how sexy Sandra Bullock was until seeing this movie.

jeffg-body
07-05-2010, 02:53 AM
Watched the book of Eli through my on demand from the cable company. It was pretty good.

N8R
07-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Shutter Island

I had a feeling of what the ending was going to be but it did throw me off. I think I gave it too much emphasis before watching it. I wanted to see it too much really. It was okay but nothing to write home about.

N8R
07-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Edge of Darkness

Only saw the first hour and a bit so I still have some movie to go. Was watching on the plane when we landed, I am hoping it will be on the next flight too otherwise I will have to download just to be able to see the last 40 mins.

Stryder
07-05-2010, 12:05 PM
It's Complicated.

I love Meryl Streep. I really liked this movie. Alec Baldwin was great too.

Suaveness
07-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Inglorious Bastrds- Funny movie, Christopher Waltz was AWESOME

Los Angeles
07-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Just got home from Cyrus.

It's really interesting that the "mumble core" genre is going mainstream.

This movie was really great but I have to admit that there were a lot of scenes that I had a hard time watching. In terms of recent movies that it is most like, I'd put it up there with Sideways in terms of atmosphere, tone and quality.

SycamoreKen
07-06-2010, 12:06 AM
It's Complicated.

I love Meryl Streep. I really liked this movie. Alec Baldwin was great too.

We are waiting for that one to come in the mail.

Unclebuck
07-06-2010, 08:42 AM
YES!!!!!

the first few early reviews for Inception are overwhelmingly positive. Although often times the very early reviews are more positive than the later review. But maybe finally a good summer movie. When I first heard about this movie what sold me was Christopher Nolan as the director - that is good enough for me

http://beta.rottentomatoes.com/m/inception/
a stunning achievement and the most completely entertaining film I've seen in years.

Inception is a masterpiece. Making a huge film with big ambitions, Christopher Nolan never missteps and manages to create a movie that, at times, feels like a miracle. Inception is nothing short of a stunning, spectacular, visionary achievement.

Inception is an exhilarating cinematic experience that suggests there is still room, even in the blockbuster world, for big ideas and dangerous emotions, and that may be the single most thrilling thing about it.

A devilishly complicated, fiendishly enjoyable sci-fi voyage across a dreamscape that is thoroughly compelling.

If movies are shared dreams, then Christopher Nolan is surely one of Hollywood's most inventive dreamers, given the evidence of his commandingly clever Inception.

A wildly entertaining and dazzling mind-trip not to be missed. Kubrick would have been proud.

I expected a lot,but still walked out hypnotized. Here's a movie that's 3 steps ahead of you, on 4 different levels, at 5 blinding speeds. Best of 2010 thus far. (No Spoilers)

bellisimo
07-06-2010, 09:27 AM
I want to know as little as possible about Inception...I'm looking forward to what exactly it is when it comes out...its nice to finally have a movie that is not ruined by the trailers...

SycamoreKen
07-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Yes, that movie looks interesting. Even the trailers in the movie house were not too revealing.

Pig Nash
07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Ms. Piggy and I are really looking forward to this one.

N8R
07-06-2010, 12:04 PM
I too am very much looking forward to seeing Inception. As soon as I heard a basic storyline and DiCaprio was in it, I knew I would watch. I hope I actually get to see it in theatres.

Kegboy
07-06-2010, 01:15 PM
A devilishly complicated, fiendishly enjoyable sci-fi voyage across a dreamscape that is thoroughly compelling.

Well, if it's even half as good as the original it'll be just fine.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087175/

Suaveness
07-06-2010, 01:48 PM
I can't freaking wait for Inception. I was worried that it wouldn't be good, but it looks like it's going to be!!!

Unclebuck
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
I saw the Last Airbender over the weekend. Horrible movie. Throughout the movie I asked myself, why should I care about any of what was going on. Of corurse if you have to ask that - then obviously you don't care.

bellisimo
07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
I saw the Last Airbender over the weekend. Horrible movie. Throughout the movie I asked myself, why should I care about any of what was going on. Of corurse if you have to ask that - then obviously you don't care.

http://theweek.com/article/index/204627/critics-vs-the-last-airbender-the-6-most-savage-quotes

Rupert Stilinski
07-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Saw the A-Team tonight.

Perfect summer movie. Tons of explosions and action. Just a good, fun time. No homo.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-08-2010, 03:58 AM
The Blind Side

Beautiful.

Hicks
07-10-2010, 01:27 AM
Predators.

Speaking as a fan of the first movie, I really liked this quite a bit. Very solid.

N8R
07-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Is that the new one that just came out Hicks???

Peck
07-10-2010, 04:43 AM
Went and saw the new twilight film.

Ok, this one was just a little to girly for me. While I really enjoy most things with Vampires and I thought the first movie was ok. This one and the last one really has taken a nose dive for me in terms of being decent films.

Maybe the whole vampire genre is getting overdone right now as even trueblood this season has been kind of a dud.

Kegboy
07-10-2010, 10:05 AM
Maybe the whole vampire genre is getting overdone right now as even trueblood this season has been kind of a dud.

As I remember, you're the one who turned me onto The Vampire Diaries and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. That said, I didn't care for True Blood and you couldn't drag me to see Twilight.

Los Angeles
07-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Last year I was knocking down doors and screaming from rooftops to get everyone to go out and see "The Hurt Locker".

This year, it's about a series of films based on a popular series of books. I STRONGLY recommend everyone see the original swedish films before the watered-down B.S. American studio versions come out.

I saw The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo about six months ago and I saw The Girl Who Played With Fire on Friday.

If you're a fan of the crime/mystery/thriller genre that would include The Pelican Brief, Silence of the Lambs, and Mystic River, well, you're in for a very big treat if you see these movies.

Plus, there's a whole lot of finesse, beauty and brutality lent this film just from its cultural (Swedish) perspective. I think adapting it to American themes and characters would literally rip the hearts out of these films.

This is what movies should be all about, if you ask me. One camera, a few characters and a smart, crisp writing/directing/acting team.

Flibertygibits
07-11-2010, 05:44 PM

So it's like every other M. Night Shyamalan movie then?

SycamoreKen
07-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Its Complicated

This was a pretty good movie. I liked the way it ended. It really seemed "real." I think Baldwin and Streep should play Mr. & Mrs. Howell in the new Gilligan's Island movie.

bellisimo
07-13-2010, 06:14 AM

what a disaster that was...I'm referring to the movie and not the end of the world bit...it was soo cheesy with unrealistic graphics and horrid acting...I was rooting for them all to die as if it was one of those horror flicks where the young blonde goes into that room which you know she should NOT do...*facepalm*

bellisimo
07-13-2010, 06:15 AM
Cop Out

It was a good buddy cop flick that felt more like a homage to the genre than anything else...i enjoyed it...

bellisimo
07-14-2010, 04:07 AM
anyone else looking forward to this? Its a good strategy to sell tickets by making it a men vs. women fight...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMDC76D9l94&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMDC76D9l94&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Unclebuck
07-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Checking back in on the reviews of Inception 44 postive and 6 negative. I always like to get a sense as to why some don't like a certain movie.

___
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/inception/?page=2&critic=columns&sortby=&name_order=&view=#contentReviews

Awesome design, effects and stunts, but where's the story?

It's obvious that Nolan either can't articulate or doesn't believe in a distinction between living feelings and dreams -- and his barren Inception doesn't capture much of either.

It is not that I don't understand (well, pretty much, anyway) or appreciate the intense ambition of Christopher Nolan's trip into the world of dreams. But why did a movie designed to blow your mind, leave mine, while originally tickled, ultimately unmoved

I wanted to surrender to this dream; I didn’t want to be out in the cold, alone. But I truly have no idea what so many people are raving about

None of this prattling drivel adds up to one iota of cogent or convincing logic. You never know who anyone is, what their goals are, who they work for or what they're doing.

Like Grand Theft Auto's quasi-cinematic extension of noir and action-flick plots, Inception manipulates the digital audience’s delectation for relentless subterfuge.

I always wonder if a film that is being shown on IMAX screens is actually shot in IMAX (like Dark Knight partially was) Inception is not.

http://www.ambienceofmedia.com/2009/10/03/christopher-nolans-inception-will-hit-imax/

For those who care about seeing movies digitally upconverted to the bigger format of IMAX and paying more for the privilege, good news! Inception will be released in the format next summer. Now, while The Dark Knight was actually shot partially in IMAX, Inception will essentially just be blown up and won’t have any scenes in the higher resolution.

Kuq_e_Zi91
07-15-2010, 08:15 AM
State of Play

Second time watching it, still just as great as the first.

JB24
07-15-2010, 10:15 AM
Saw Inception at an advanced screening last night. If there's one film you'll watch at the cinema this year, please let it be this one. Not flawless, but its exactly the type of film we should be encouraging Hollywood to make more of. Original, multi-layered (definitely needs to be seen more than once, at least imo), and a visual knock-out (Wally Pfister is a god).

GO!!!!!
07-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Edge of Darkness..

not bad not great... bit sad bit lame... was ok, can't complain, Mel's voice sounds like he's taking some hardcore meds at one stage... but allright... bit predictable, didn't need to be a scholar to know the plot n what was going to happen...

Solid 7/10

Trader Joe
07-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Just saw Despicable Me. IT'S SO FLUFFAY!

Mourning
07-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Saw some movies for the second or more times the past couple of days

"Sideways". One of my favorite road/atmosphere movies. Still really, really like this movie. Must have seen it about 4 times now.

"The Machinist". I like this one a lot too, especially the grey and dark feeling of it. This movie shows why I really like Christian Bale as an actor. His dedication to lose weight for this movie is astonishing. 3rd time I saw it.

"The Proposal". First time I saw it. I liked Bullock early in her career with Speed I and a couple of other movies, but she also played in a lot of crap movies. Anyways, it's predictable, but it's also a nice movie. I enjoyed it.

"Oorlogswinter". Dutch warmovie about a teenager wanting to be part of the Dutch resistance at the end of WWII. By accident stumbles upon a British fighterpilot whose plane crashed days earlier and helps him to try and survive, but his family takes a hard beating during the story, due to a large part of it. Originally a book written for early teenagers, pretty well filmed and acted. First time I saw it.

Like a lot of you I'm really looking forward to "Inception" aswell. Seeing as UncleBuck and I have a comparable taste in movies I'm more then sure to stay away from "The Last Airbender" now, especially with the heat this movie is taking by the critics.

The WC2010 final. Second time... :console:

Mourning
07-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Oh... saw "Unthinkable" last weekend. Bit dissappointing. Expected more out of it, especially in the character building department. I was doubting between that one and "Get Him to the Greek".

HC
07-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I have a tendency to avoid watching movies surrounded by a great deal of hype, but I finally broke down and watched Avatar. I feel like a dummy having avoided it this whole time, it was a great movie imo. I am already anticipating part 2, which hopefully won't be a letdown.

Los Angeles
07-16-2010, 11:56 AM
Zodiac.

I know a lot of people aren't very big fans of David Fincher, but that ain't me. If he made the movie, it's going to at least be good, and might even be great. This movie had a very difficult task to accomplish. It needed to build terror and suspense while remaining true to the actual events of the Zodiac killings. I think it passed with flying colors.

Unclebuck
07-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I think I am the only one who didn't like Avatar. I really was expecting to like it and wanted to like it, but didn't. Maybe I should watch it again, perhaps i was just in a bad mood that day.

I need to see Sideways again, have only seen it once and loved it, I always forget about it though

Will see Inception this weekend for sure

Thanks LA - I have seen Zodiac two times. I really, really liked it the first time, but for some strange reason I liked it even more the second. I just enjoy every minute about that movie - cannot really discribe why

Hicks
07-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm going to go see Inception tonight. Looking forward to it.

N8R
07-16-2010, 09:21 PM
The Edge

Oldish movie with Anthony Hopkins and Alec Baldwin about a plane crash in the wilderness and they have to try and survive the elements and each other. Good movie.

N8R
07-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Tigerland

Early Colin Ferrel film. War movie but shows the training side before the troops head off to Vietnam. Good somewhat gritty film that had a good story.

N8R
07-16-2010, 09:25 PM
The Silence Of The Lambs

I really thought I had seen this entire movie before but after watching it I am pretty sure I had seen bits and pieces of it but watching it this time made me realize that it was a good idea to actually watch it all the way through. I finally know what movie the "She puts the lotion on her skin" line comes from hahaha.

N8R
07-16-2010, 09:26 PM
I would like to know anyones opinion of Inception. I am going to see it when I get back into London and I just want to hear some voices on it.

Stryder
07-18-2010, 05:58 AM
Jennifer's Body.

Bad. Horrible. Period.

Natston
07-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Be Kind Rewind

I wasn't impressed when I first saw it a couple of years ago, but it was much better this time around.

The Fugitive

Easily one of my favorites, and it has aged quite well.

Los Angeles
07-18-2010, 01:42 PM
ANyone want to give a no-spoiler review of Inception?

btowncolt
07-18-2010, 01:45 PM

You spend $13. Something weird happens. Leonardo DiCaprio looks consternated. A bunch of CGI stuff is on the screen. There's a twist.

I haven't actually seen the movie - I can't vouch that it costs $13.

Kegboy
07-18-2010, 07:40 PM

I wouldn't know how to give a spoiler review of it. Somebody else may be able to, but I find it as something very difficult to describe to someone who hasn't seen it.

I would recommend not reading reviews, just go see it. It's a movie that has to be experienced. Whether you "buy what they're selling" or not, it's a technical masterpiece. And by technical, I don't mean special effects (though they are good), I mean storytelling.

I don't know if it's Nolan's best movie, but it's his best made. All of his films have dealt with perception, this one is just the most overt about it. If you've enjoyed any of his work, you'll find stuff to like here.

There are certainly criticisms to be made, but I'd rather not to the uninitiated. It's something best experienced clean. You may not love it, but I find a hard time believing anyone would regret seeing it. At least anyone who's the least bit open to the experience.

ilive4sports
07-19-2010, 12:51 AM
Just saw Despicable Me. IT'S SO FLUFFAY!

My roommate and I have been walking around saying that since we saw it on the preview. Still need to see the movie.

Go see Inception. It is a great movie and has immediately become one of my favorites. I look forward to watching it again.

AesopRockOn
07-21-2010, 02:19 AM
I think I am the only one who didn't like Avatar.

Not a fan either. Actually kind of hate the movie.

The following two-part review basically sums up everything I don't like about it. It's by the same guy who did the Star Wars Episode One review.

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJarz7BYnHA&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

<object height="385" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLzKwTcGO_0&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="385" width="480"></object>

*Contains some NSFW language/weirdness.

Kstat
07-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Predators. I dont care what the critics say, that film kicks ***. A samurai vs a Predator? I'm sold.

Kegboy
07-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Not a fan either. Actually kind of hate the movie.

The following two-part review basically sums up everything I don't like about it. It's by the same guy who did the Star Wars Episode One review.

"I don't think I've rolled my eyes that much since I had that demonic possession."

:D

Unclebuck
07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Predator was OK.

I thought the first half was quite good, I enjoyed the set and the intrigue of what is happening and why are we here. But then the second half turned into your typical action movie with 1 twist that I didn't buy into.

Overall though it was a painfree experience. Forgetable though

SycamoreKen
07-28-2010, 02:00 AM
We saw Tropic Thunder this week after returning from vacation. It was very funny, especially the end sequence. Downey was probably the best of the bunch.

Pig Nash
07-28-2010, 02:15 AM
Before Sunrise

Liked it a lot. Watched it by myself as the misses is down in Indianapolis. Should I send it back and get the sequel and watch it by myself or convince her to watch it with me?

cdash
07-28-2010, 03:49 AM
Before Sunrise

Liked it a lot. Watched it by myself as the misses is down in Indianapolis. Should I send it back and get the sequel and watch it by myself or convince her to watch it with me?

Is that the movie where Ethan Hawke walks about talking bull**** to a French girl all night?

Yah, it would look better if she watched it with you, for your sake. Having said that, I watched (and enjoyed) both by myself.

Unclebuck
07-28-2010, 09:29 AM
Before Sunrise

They both are really good, and if you liked one you will like the other and should see them both.

What I really liked about both of the movies is the dialogue is how people actually talk unlike most movies.

Unclebuck
07-29-2010, 08:42 AM
Saw Scott Pilgram vs the World last night

Oh what could have been. It has some of the funniest lines in a movie I've seen in quite awhile, very funny. The situations were also funny. But what almost ruined it were all the fight scenes and special effects. I would love to watch it again when it comes out on DVD and I could and would fast forward through the fight scenes, then it would be an outstanding movie.

Mourning
08-02-2010, 06:23 AM
Predators. Enjoyable. Nothing legendary, but I liked watching it. I probably will watch parts 1 and 2 again sometime soon. I remember really liking them back in the good ol' days.

Unclebuck
08-02-2010, 09:02 AM
The Kids are all right

Really, really good, would expect several Oscar nominations, best picture, screen play, actors, director. if you like your movies relationaship based, then you will enjoy this. Some funny parts, some serious parts, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Death at a Funeral inept, everything was inept. Nothing else to say about it

Unclebuck
08-03-2010, 10:52 AM
OK, saw A Prophet last night. This was a movie, excellent. it was nominated last year for best foreign language film and it deserved it. Prison drama, some might think it a little slow, but it is facinating and I highly recommend it

count55
08-04-2010, 03:13 PM
A couple of good small films:

Primer (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0390384/)

It's a very non-traditional flick about time-travel. Very low budget, but pretty well done. If you like nice, neat endings, don't watch it. If you like sitting around and talking about what happened with a friend (which I did), it's a good one.

Salton Sea (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0235737/)

Lots of people you'd recognize - some you'd know (Val Kilmer, Vincent D'Onofrio), some you'll just think of as that guy/woman from that other show, or where have I seen him before?

Good story, but what I liked most about it was the humor. It's a drama, but it's nicely cut with some moments that really give a satisfying chuckle.

duke dynamite
08-04-2010, 04:30 PM
The Bounty Hunter

I couldn't get past Gerard Butler hiding his accent. It was a fun movie to watch with the girlfriend. She enjoyed it.

ChicagoJ
08-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Saw a truck screaming down Van Buren Street in front of the Old Post Office (also known at times as Gotham National Bank) in Transformers 3 today. Yesterday, I saw them putting Goodyear racing slicks on the trucks. I sure wouldn't want to be at street level when the stunt drivers whip those rigs around to Canal Street. Especially since its been raining here for the past two days while they've been filming.

bellisimo
08-05-2010, 08:43 AM
From Paris with Love

the plot was horrid. the "enemy" was never really clear at all in the movie as it was going from one group to the next without a real connection. Travolta just looks weird the whole movie with that style of his...

The Losers
the trailers made me expect something much more...sad to say i was rather disappointed with the "fun quality" of this movie...

SycamoreKen
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
The Blindside

An enjoyable movie. Funny, touching, and fun to watch with my baby.

Final Desitnation 3

Umm Dumb. I'd get into how unrealiasitc the way people died was, but why waste more time with this.

Pig Nash
08-06-2010, 03:34 AM
Following

Chris Nolan's first film. Only 70 minutes long, but it's well told and interesting. Black and white and you have to pay attention though.

MagicRat
08-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Despicable Me

Made me chuckle.

Skaut_Ech
08-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Following

Chris Nolan's first film. Only 70 minutes long, but it's well told and interesting. Black and white and you have to pay attention though.

I'm pretty excited to see it. I just ordered it off amazon. Nolan's an interesting, clever director.

I just started to watch what I think may be the most horrible movie put to film: Meet the Hollowheads. (http://www.badmovieplanet.com/unknownmovies/reviews/rev440.html)

I pride myself on watching a movie all the way through once I start it, but I could get through this pointless, weird with no point, movie. It was on Starz or Cinemax or something, late night a few nights ago. I was suprised they even showed it. Anyone else seen this? :shiver:

Mourning
08-07-2010, 03:13 AM
"The Road" with Viggo Mortensen. I liked it. Pretty gloomy and dark movie about a father and son trying to survive and on a journey in a post apocalyptic world. Pretty depressing scenes and background, but enough moving moments to make it worth your time IMO. Don't expect a lot of action.

I thought it was well acted and worth watching for sure.

cgg
08-07-2010, 06:37 AM
the wicker man

Natston
08-07-2010, 11:19 AM
The Book of Eli

Okay for what it was, but I was expecting a lot more from the experience...

:twss:

Skaut_Ech
08-07-2010, 01:00 PM
"The Road" with Viggo Mortensen. I liked it. Pretty gloomy and dark movie about a father and son trying to survive and on a journey in a post apocalyptic world. Pretty depressing scenes and background, but enough moving moments to make it worth your time IMO. Don't expect a lot of action.

I thought it was well acted and worth watching for sure.

I thought that movie was devastating. Once it got you, it just didn't let up till it pounded you into submission. I felt beat up like when I watched Schindler's List, but without the hopefulness. Great, great movie.

Stryder
08-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I thought that movie was devastating. Once it got you, it just didn't let up till it pounded you into submission. I felt beat up like when I watched Schindler's List, but without the hopefulness. Great, great movie.

Was it as good as the book? I just finished the book.

bellisimo
08-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Was it as good as the book? I just finished the book.

its similar to the book but they definitely toned it down in the movie a bit though...definitely worth a watch

SycamoreKen
08-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Ghosts of Girlfriends Past

Watched this on HBO at the hotel before we left this morning. It was a chick flick, but still amusing. Michael Douglous was funny as the ghost uncle.

RWB
08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Love concert dvds.

Kiss - Symphony

What in the world makes these editors for concert dvds think it is a good idea to switch camera angles every couple of a seconds? DVD sounds great, but thought I was going to have seizures from the quick cuts constantly.

Shade
08-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Kick-***

I've actually seen it multiple times, and I think it gets even better with subsequent viewings.

9/10

Shade
08-10-2010, 09:35 PM
Inception

I really enjoyed it, and didn't feel lost at all, despite my friends telling me to "follow it closely."

8/10

Shade
08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Saw Scott Pilgram vs the World last night

Oh what could have been. It has some of the funniest lines in a movie I've seen in quite awhile, very funny. The situations were also funny. But what almost ruined it were all the fight scenes and special effects. I would love to watch it again when it comes out on DVD and I could and would fast forward through the fight scenes, then it would be an outstanding movie.

I am really looking forward to this movie, fight scenes and special effects included.

Natston
08-14-2010, 02:30 PM
The Invention of Lying

Meh.

Kegboy
08-14-2010, 07:08 PM
Scott Pilgrim

It's cute, but it's no Kick ***.

Hicks
08-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Saw Scott Polgrim, too. Liked it.