PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Since86
12-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Boondock Saints didn't age well. I watched it a month or so ago and had a sudden urge to put on a flannel shirt and listen to grunge themed K-Tel records.

Really? I think it's a great movie, and I know several of my friends do as well. I watch routinely.

I don't think it's dated to a certain time at all. I think it translates to today very well.

Los Angeles
12-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Really? I think it's a great movie, and I know several of my friends do as well. I watch routinely.

I don't think it's dated to a certain time at all. I think it translates to today very well.

I'm not saying it's a bad movie.

It's not what happens in the movie, or what the movie is about that makes it seem dated. It's the style of filmmaking, the lighting, the use of the camera, etc that screams "early nineties indie film" to me. It's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, the ultimate early nineties indie film is Pulp Fiction. That movie is the definition of it.

Since86
12-30-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad movie.

It's not what happens in the movie, or what the movie is about that makes it seem dated. It's the style of filmmaking, the lighting, the use of the camera, etc that screams "early nineties indie film" to me. It's not necessarily a bad thing. I mean, the ultimate early nineties indie film is Pulp Fiction. That movie is the definition of it.

I got you now.

Unclebuck
12-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Boondock Saints didn't age well. I watched it a month or so ago and had a sudden urge to put on a flannel shirt and listen to grunge themed K-Tel records.

I watched that movie a few months back. Forget if I posted anything on it. But it was probably the most disgusting movie I have ever seen. Maybe only Michael Bay movies are worse. I hated Boondock Saints, seems like the only goal in the movie was killing people. repulsive and no redeeming value is how I would describe it

Since86
12-30-2009, 05:06 PM
I watched that movie a few months back. Forget if I posted anything on it. But it was probably the most disgusting movie I have ever seen. Maybe only Michael Bay movies are worse. I hated Boondock Saints, seems like the only goal in the movie was killing people. repulsive and no redeeming value is how I would describe it

I know it goes over the top with what they do, but the message is a pretty good one, IMHO.

The Priest's speech at the beginning captures it all, for me atleast.

bellisimo
12-30-2009, 07:36 PM

in a sense it felt like Dexter for me...well minus the character development/etc but how the theme of the characters were going after the bad guys...

however I do agree that the movie definitely made sure that it stays in that time frame...from the beepers to everything else it was definitely a trip down memory lane of those time periods...

rexnom
12-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I saw it as "Hey guys, I'm just going to retell Pocahontas here, but it's gonna look absolutely visually stunning so you're cool with this being completely derivative and unoriginal right? I'll throw in a little Romeo & Juliet and some Matrix themes for kicks, cool? And everyone's blue."

Still, I really enjoyed the experience, if not the movie. Just unreal technology and it's hard to believe 2D movies will be made by Hollywood in 20 years.

Sorta felt like I was watching a Birth of a Nation-level breakthrough in film. Even had the same race war thread running through it.

I would recommend everyone see it. Great entertainment. Average movie.
Perfect summary. Where did you steal it from?

Mr_Smith
12-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I watched Halloween 2 a few days ago (Rob Zombie remake). Not as good as his previous one.

Suaveness
12-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Sherlock Holmes - I enjoyed the film. I also agree that the plot was so so, but the acting between Downey Jr and Law was a lot of fun to watch

Up in the Air - I actually really liked this movie. It's not my usual type of movie, but I thought I felt a real connection with the characters and I was slightly moved. Good good movie.

cdash
01-02-2010, 10:50 PM
The Damned United

I really, really liked this movie. I'm not wild about soccer, but the movie was extremely well acted and it was genuinely interesting. It's a good watch if you are fascinated by ego-maniacs in sports.

SoupIsGood
01-02-2010, 11:18 PM
Saw 6

These movies are freaking stupid.

Since86
01-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Star Trek - I really enjoyed it. I've never watched any of the other stuff, I don't get into Sci-Fi, but I thought they story was pretty simple to follow in that it didn't try to throw too many things at you so it was able to go in multiple directions.

I thought the story line was pretty good, I thought the character development was good, and I thought the visual special effects were amazing.

I'm actually looking forward to the next one.

District 9 - Weird, just weird.

Unclebuck
01-04-2010, 03:01 PM
I watched District 9 again. I really liked it the second time also. Not great, but I appreciate what they tried to do, and the story pulled me in

duke dynamite
01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Confessions of a Shopaholic

...meh

Stryder
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Confessions of a Shopaholic

...meh

Isla Fisher is hot, though.

JayRedd
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM
If you haven't seen No Country for Old Men or Up in the Air, do not read this.

You've been warned.

The part of Up in the Air that really messed the movie up was the sequence of events from him leaving the stage up until the "I'm married" bit. It very much lowered the experience for me. I was discussing the movie with a good friend who saw the film at the Telluride film festival and he was the one who related it to the main character dying off screen in No Country for old men.

In no country for old men, we are brought along the journey through the survival story of the main character. It's his journey, his survival that the audience cares most about. But 3/4 through the movie, he dies off screen and we're left with some other story about an old sheriff. the sheriff makes a speech, never catches the bad guy, and movie over. It left a number of people disgusted. I forgave the film because of how outstanding the rest of it was, but even to this day I have no idea what the sheriff said in that speech. No clue. The movie was pretty much over when our hero was shot down.

Up in the Air suffers in the same way. for three quarters of the movie, we've been sold a story of a man trying to recapture his humanity. Slowly but surely, we follow him as he builds relationships. Due to the new threat to his job and therefore his lifestyle, we see him reconsider the way he lives in small, subtle and very real ways.

This is the journey we're on. This is the conflict. This is the story. It was tremendously realistic, reasonable and it's presentation was outstanding.

And then it happens. He's about to go on stage and give his speech. and that's when HOLLYWOOD SHOWS UP! I could see a guy in a suit rejecting the first edit of the movie and saying something like "You know what this movie needs? A ZINGER!" Instead of him doing what would have been reasonable (give his speech but subtly realize while giving it just how hollow the words can be), we're given some horse hockey where he stands up the crowd, races across the country to chicago and finds the girl. That doesn't happen. Long standing professionals don't run out of meetings. they don't stand up crowds. Just like how in real life we never see an old boyfriend interrupt a wedding and leave with the bride, we never see a guy fly across the country to appear on a woman's doorstep. But somehow HOLLYWOOD SCRIPT DOCTORS think that the paying customer just won't like a movie any other way.

I saw the movie with my girlfriend and the moment he leaves the convention, she says under her breath "Oh, please" with just enough eye roll that I know what she's talking about.

And as soon as the movie jumps the shark, And believe me, that was nothing more than a stunt, and the "I'm married" zinger happens, it all falls apart. We're given a flash of what happens later. The young apprentice moves on. He mopes just a little bit, then, out of nowhere, his job is abruptly saved and he can just keep doing whatever he was doing before the movie started. Movie over.

I really liked the movie overall. But what I liked about it: the characters it drew, the subtle conflicts it created, the awakening of this man's spirit, well, all of that was stabbed in the back with the ending stunt.

Overall, though, I felt that the movie should be put on everyone's list of movies to see, and I look forward to hearing what others think about the film.

Some thoughts on Up in the Air, which I just saw the other day and thought was not only one of the best movies of the decade and almost certainly the best of the year.

(I really, really like Inglorious Basterds so I'm not sure which is #1 and which is #2. The Hurt Locker would be the only other flick in contention but the ending of that one — or, rather, the failure to end it 15 minutes sooner in the cereal aisle — really took quite a bit away for me.)

I guess the first relevant thing is that I didn't see the characters as particularly "real" in the first place. Clooney's character, to me, is such an extreme representation of the self-centered, career-driven aspect that all of us have and struggle to balance with the the other people/responsibilities of life. He's Clooney so he has that innate charm/coolness and he kills it with his performance, so he is believable, but to see him as just an actual person would make him seem borderline pathological in his isolation. In my view, he's the same sort of faux-real/satirical construct as Nick Naylor is in Thank You For Smoking.

More to the point ... I actually had the same vibe initially. "Wait...he's really leaving the meeting to go get the girl like this is Say Anything? Lame."

But then the outcome proved to be a terrible idea for Clooney. Obviously, people don't really do what he did, but I thought that him being faux-real and doing a clichéd, nonsensical thing only to be crushed by the exact opposite of what the viewer has been conditioned to expect (i.e., the Hollywood ending) was a great, clever directorial choice. It was like the director was saying "All that John Hughes, Sleepless in Seattle **** is nonsense and relationships with other people are not fairy tales. They are real, problematic and difficult, and there is no alternative or "get love quick scheme." Cinderella and Romeo & Juliet are bull****."

And, to me, that's the whole point of the movie. Clooney's relationship with his family was tedious, just like all of ours is. So he sort of just stopped trying. This occurs long before the movie starts, but I think the set up is that he essentially took the Peter from Office Space mentality to the whole thing and just said "I don't like people's bull****, so I don't think I'm gonna deal with em anymore ... And I don't think I'd like another set of people either, so I'm just not going to deal with any other people's bull**** anymore either."

But then, after an epiphany that let him see how shallow, lonely and meaningless his life of isolation was, he set out to embrace a relationship with the one person (Vera Farmiga) he thought wouldn't disappoint him — yet he was greeted with perhaps the biggest disappointment of his life.

That one disappointment was devastating, of course, but more devastating still was the realization that Clooney is likely to live a life of isolation for the rest of his years. You can't just turn your nose up to everyone you've ever known for 20 or 30 years and expect to ever reconcile or have an actual relationship. Relationships aren't found and they don't come easy — like he thought he had with Vera. His "relationship" with Vera was completely surface-level, fleeting and impersonal but he has such little grasp of what a real relationship with another person is that he thought it was the real thing.

But the real thing can only be crafted, earned and developed over years. You have to put up with the bull**** to get to the higher place. And to me, that's the whole point of the movie.

Reitman is saying that a life of tedious and difficult relationships beats the complete and total insignificance, loneliness and isolation of choosing the "comfortable, easy" route of being self-centered. Danny McBride and Clooney's sister are not going to live happily ever after. They'll have boring, tedious and difficult — and ultimately — insignificant lives just like everyone does. But since McBride chose to go through with the marriage, he will have that "co-pilot" that will at least make his life meaningful to at least one other person.

Clooney will never have a co-pilot because it's probably too late — which is the saddest thing of all since now he actually knows what he's missing out on rather than walking around in the bliss of ignorance.

Or something.

duke dynamite
01-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Isla Fisher is hot, though.
:lol:

bellisimo
01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
The Line *La Linea* - it was a bit unclear from the start which made me lose a bit of focus - however it wasn't too bad in the end

N8R
01-08-2010, 04:22 AM
The Life Of David Gale

It was pretty good. Nothing too special but a decent enough movie to sit though once.

Peck
01-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Sherlock Holmes - Meh

Hicks
01-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Up in the Air

It was good, but I'm surprised it's as popular as it is.

PaceBalls
01-09-2010, 05:24 PM
cool movies I've seen lately.

The Red Violin - 1998 - good drama.
Dorian Gray - 2009 - adaption of an Oscar Wilde short horror story. I thought it was really good.
Inglorious Basterds - 2009 - I loved this movie, but it felt too short. It seemed like they just took a couple chapters from a much larger interesting book.

Unclebuck
01-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Up in the Air

It was good, but I'm surprised it's as popular as it is.

why are you surprised.

It really isn't doing that great at the box office, but seems like those who see it really enjoy it

Hicks
01-09-2010, 06:19 PM
why are you surprised.

It really isn't doing that great at the box office, but seems like those who see it really enjoy it

I meant popularity with regards to the reviews I've read, not box office revenue or ticket sales.

Unclebuck
01-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I meant popularity with regards to the reviews I've read, not box office revenue or ticket sales.

Things that reviewers look for, like acting, writing, and directing are all excellent in this movie. Plus it isn't overly sentimental, nor does play with your emotions in a false way - two things the critics hate

the jaddler
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM
just watched the movie Up....its solid.....could have been better

tora tora
01-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Jennifer's Body.. interesting movie.

Unclebuck
01-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Finally got to see Hurt Locker . Wanted to see it in the theater last summer but just didn't. Saw it on Blu-ray though. Really good movie, certain scenes will stick with me for a long long time. Not a doubt in my mind that the director, Kathryn Bigelow, should win the Oscar along with the cinematographer . Not sure if the movie should win best picture, best director and best picture typically are one in the same.

The action scenes (if you want to call them that) are so well done.

Unclebuck
01-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Trying to think of the best movies I've seen this past year - not going to count any movies that came out in '08 even if I saw them in '09.

In no particular order.
1) Star Trek
2) Hangover
3) 500 Days of Summer
4) Precious
5) Hurt Locker
6) Up in the Air

Those top 6 stand out. Not sure which one is my favorite, I suppose if I had to chose one I would go with Up in the Air, but it is a tough call - all 6 I thoroughly enjoyed

Three others I enjoyed.

7) Zombieland
8) District 9
9) INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS

bellisimo
01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Up in the Air - it was a good movie overall...i do agree with the parts where some people had a bit of a grief...

Moon - well done by Sam Rockwell in the movie....

jeffg-body
01-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Just got done watching "Up" with the kids tonight. It had it's funny moments, but it was really sad in several areas that would make you want to cry. :disappoin

Went to see the Frog and Princess movie with all of the girls and after the little one fell asleep on me it was all but guaranteed I'd get a nap too. I only saw the beginning and end.:jester:

duke dynamite
01-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Celtic Pride

Ahh, the '90s.

Larry Bird telling two average Joes that he hates bandwagon fans. LMFAO.

pianoman
01-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Sherlock Holmes- Excellent movie from start to finish! Had some really funny moments!

The Hangover- I finally broke down and watched the hangover. I thought it was an awful movie using recycled jokes. I finished the movie from start to finish, and did not laugh once. Not even a chuckle. Seriously, why do people like this movie? (Duke, wanna elaborate why it's so good?)

Four Christmas- Good date movie. Made me chuckle a little bit!

Princess and the Frog- Best disney movie in a decade. Great story-line, great disney magic, and excellent soundtrack.

SoupIsGood
01-16-2010, 12:25 PM
There are some recycled jokes in Hangover, yeah. Especially toward the end. But on the whole it was much more original and intelligent than most movies of its kind.

Not a single laugh?

"There's a junglecat in the bathroom!"

duke dynamite
01-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Sherlock Holmes- Excellent movie from start to finish! Had some really funny moments!

The Hangover- I finally broke down and watched the hangover. I thought it was an awful movie using recycled jokes. I finished the movie from start to finish, and did not laugh once. Not even a chuckle. Seriously, why do people like this movie? (Duke, wanna elaborate why it's so good?)

Four Christmas- Good date movie. Made me chuckle a little bit!

Princess and the Frog- Best disney movie in a decade. Great story-line, great disney magic, and excellent soundtrack.
Yes, I will. The Hangover was set apart from other comedies of late because there were elements in the plot that were actually explained or reasoned.

It wasn't just "Oh, let's put this funny thing here and since it doesn't make sense or have any substance to the story people will laugh. Everything that went on in the movie was explained, and wasn't just some random bit to get a cheap laugh.

Now I haven't seen the Princess and the Frog, but almost every Disney-Pixar movie this decade is hands down better than what I've seen in the previews.

SoupIsGood
01-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Disney's princess/prince-charming genre needs to catch violent fire and die.

Los Angeles
01-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Finally got to see Hurt Locker . Wanted to see it in the theater last summer but just didn't. Saw it on Blu-ray though. Really good movie, certain scenes will stick with me for a long long time. Not a doubt in my mind that the director, Kathryn Bigelow, should win the Oscar along with the cinematographer . Not sure if the movie should win best picture, best director and best picture typically are one in the same.

The action scenes (if you want to call them that) are so well done.

I've been screaming at the top of my lungs about this movie for 8 months.

So so so so gooooood!

Everybody needs to see it.

SilverStrife
01-16-2010, 03:02 PM
Star Trek (again)
Got my PS3 last night, so I was able to watch my copy I got for Christmas. xD

Unclebuck
01-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Golden Globe winner for best comedy. I have posted previously that Hangover might very well be the funniest movie I have ever seen

duke dynamite
01-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Heh, Good Burger. Ahh, to be a kid again...

GO!!!!!
01-18-2010, 02:43 AM
I think that Hangover winning best comedy is more a poor reflection of comedies last year then substance of hangover...

I don't rate it all, it was half humorous, I thought the The Goods, Live Hard Sell Hard was a better comedy then hangover, heck I think laughed more during The Land of the Lost...

but just my two cents...

N8R
01-18-2010, 03:29 AM
Comedies are hard to judge because everyone's sense of humour is different. I have found some movies to be hilarious that others thought were scary, horrifying or stupid. I laughed so hard in the Hangover as well. One of the best comedies I have seen but the more I watch it the less funny it gets.

Natston
01-18-2010, 03:39 AM
I had some good laughs during The Hangover, but as N8R hinted, it gets less and less funny on subsequent viewings.

Unclebuck
01-19-2010, 08:25 AM
It's Complicated it was really good. Great acting by Baldwin and Streep, several really funny moments and overall a good story. Sure it is predictable, but it is well done. Cannot imagine how anyone wouldn't like the movie as lighthearted entertainment

N8R
01-19-2010, 03:21 PM

Saw this in the theatres again last night. Not so much because I wanted to see it but the theatre here in Wanaka, New Zealand is a tourist place. The theatre had couches, comfy chairs and a car in it to watch the movie and it had an intermission where you could get food and just take a little break so you didnt miss any of the movie. It was a cool place to go see a movie in. I liked Avatar just as much the second time around and it was cool to be able to see it for a second time so I could understand a little more. I did notice on the second viewing that some of the acting seemed a lot worse. The main guy was just a little to overboard sometimes same with the chick.

But as a movie I still really like it. I think having about a month since last viewing helped out.

Pig Nash
01-21-2010, 02:55 AM
The Squid and the Whale Picked this up because a friend said Eisenberg (Columbus from Zombieland) was good in this and not just Cera 2.0 and they were right. Really good performances all around in this one and a captivating snapshot of these characters lives.

Humpday Another suggestion, didn't like this one quite as much but still interesting. Funny but it doesn't feel all the way there.

bellisimo
01-21-2010, 04:25 AM
The Road

I thought it was a powerful movie.

Stryder
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs

Excellent.

bellisimo
01-22-2010, 04:51 AM
A Serious Man

I wanted all the characters to just die a slow death...all annoyed me... -_-

pianoman
01-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Going back to the hangover, a few things that I'd like to point out:

Tiger in the bathroom- reminds me of a movie called "Dr. Dolittle"

The whole "ritard" thing really wasn't funny. (Especially since I work with children with special needs that get called this name constantly. It just seemed like middle school humor)

I'm pretty sure I'm alone in thinking it just wasn't funny. It just didn't do anything for me... Sad thing is, my mom loved the movie, and quotes it constantly!

bellisimo
01-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Up - watched it for the first time...now i see what people were talking about when they said it was emotional...Pixar always does a great job of hitting the right buttons...

Sherlock Holmes - if this movie was titled anything else, it would've been a good movie...but watching it as "SHERLOCK HOLMES" - it just didn't sit in well with me...

Twes
01-24-2010, 01:13 AM
The Hangover

sweabs
01-24-2010, 01:47 AM
Amadeus

.......sublime

Pig Nash
01-24-2010, 04:26 AM
25th Hour I really enjoyed this. Nothing really happens the whole time but I was riveted. Great acting and the movie just looks so good. Worth checking out.

Unclebuck
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
25th Hour I really enjoyed this. Nothing really happens the whole time but I was riveted. Great acting and the movie just looks so good. Worth checking out.

Great movie. Really one of my favorites of the decade.

Saw Book of Eli today. Wasn't really expecting to like it, so I was really surprised at how quickly I became engrossed in the movie. I cared about what happened to the characters and the acting was surprisingly good. I would recommend this movie

indygeezer
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Sherlock Holmes Interesting story but I'm a Homes buff and that was NOT Doyles Holmes.

gummy
01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Finally watched Avatar. Wow. The story wasn't all that original but it was executed fairly well. And of course they've made a huge technological leap with the visual - all of it looked/felt pretty real to me.

kester99
01-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Ashura -- Directed by Yojiro Takita. 17th Century Japan...Demons and Demon Wardens in conflict for mastery of Edo (ancient Tokyo) and a love story, human / demon...all very allegorical, I'm sure. Nice grounding in Kabuki tradition...in fact there's a kabuki play within the play paralleling or following or guiding the action.

Real cool. Slightly cheesy special effects, which are a main source of criticism for the film, but the effects in question are like 2 minutes out of 2 hours, so get over it, says I.

Powerful tragic love story, mixed with fun swordplay fantasy, mixed with Japanese mythology. Anime fans take note. You need to watch this. (No, it's not anime). Real good human acting with appropriate over-the-top kabuki flavor, and it's subtitled, so no strange overdubbing effects. The subtitles are well done, not intrusive or grammatically suspect.

Good stuff. It's on Hulu.

Unclebuck
02-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Edge of Darkness - Not bad, seemed as though they weren't sure what type of movie they wanted to make. If you saw the movie Taken there was no doubt the type of mopvie that was. Pure revenge violent, very straight forward. Not a great movie, but I give it credit because the director knew what he wanted to do and did it.

Edge of Darkness had a lot of the same elements as Taken violent, revenge, but they also trtied to have a conspiracy plot that reached into private business and senators. I think because they tried to do both in the same movie, both parts suffered and the movie as a whole wasn't that good

Stryder
02-01-2010, 09:47 AM
Edge of Darkness - Not bad, seemed as though they weren't sure what type of movie they wanted to make. If you saw the movie Taken there was no doubt the type of mopvie that was. Pure revenge violent, very straight forward. Not a great movie, but I give it credit because the director knew what he wanted to do and did it.

Edge of Darkness had a lot of the same elements as Taken violent, revenge, but they also trtied to have a conspiracy plot that reached into private business and senators. I think because they tried to do both in the same movie, both parts suffered and the movie as a whole wasn't that good

Edge of Darkness also has a very nice Dodge Charger SRT8 in deep water blue (my favorite color)...made the movie even better, at least for me.

N8R
02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
The Invention of Lying

I had wanted to see this movie since I heard about in back in November. I am a huge Ricky Gervais fan so I watch anything he is in. I liked this movie. It is about a world where no one ever lies, they just say what is on their mind, so it makes for some easy gags and easy laughs. Over all it was a good enough story line and there were a lot of big name actors in it as well. Ricky Gervais did a great job playing the fat liar and Jennifer Gardner did a good job playing the uptight biatch. I would recommend this one.

N8R
02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Where The Wild Things Are

I didn't get it. It didnt really seem like a movie to me, just a poorly told movie about a kid who imagines some random creatures. It was a big waste of my time. I wish I would have slept instead of stayed up to watch it.

N8R
02-01-2010, 09:59 PM
District 9

I had wanted to see this one for a while but I didnt hear about it until months after is was released and I just got the chance to see it the other day. I didn't know what it was about I didnt know much of the plot, I had no spoilers, I didnt know who was in it, I didnt know anything about the movie and I am sure that helped. I enjoyed this one. it was a very different turn on the typical alien movie where the two worlds are at war. I really liked it and I would recommend it to everyone.

Unclebuck
02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Here are the ten films nominated for best picture. First time since 1947 that they had ten films nominated.

I have one big problem. 9 of the 10 I'm OK with, but Blind Side no way, I don't think that should even be considered for any award except one of the worst of the year

here are the other 9

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100202/ap_on_en_mo/us_oscars

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. – The science-fiction sensation "Avatar" and the war-on-terror thriller "The Hurt Locker" lead the Academy Awards with nine nominations each, including best picture and director for James Cameron and ex-wife Kathryn Bigelow.

For the first time the Oscars feature 10 best-picture contenders instead of the usual five.

Also nominated for best-picture Tuesday: "District 9"; the animated comedy "Up"; the World War II saga "Inglourious Basterds"; the football drama "The Blind Side"; the recession tale "Up in The Air," the 1960s drama "A Serious Man," and the teen tales "An Education," and "Precious."

The Hurt Locker
District 9
Up
Inglourious Basterds
The Blind Side
Up in The Air
A Serious Man
An Education
Precious

I have seen 8 of the 10 - have not seen A Serious Man or An Education yet.

I would have nominated Star Trek or Public Enermies instead of Blind Side

If only 5 films had been nomited I think it is easy to pick 4 that would have been. Avatar, Hurt Locker, Up in the Air and Basterds - the 5th is tough to pick, probably Precious.

if I had a vote, I would vote Up in the Air as best picture, with Huirt Locker a close second, I would pick the director for Hurt Locker though

bellisimo
02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
A Serious Man does not deserve to be up there with the rest of them.

avoidingtheclowns
02-02-2010, 08:42 PM
I just don't understand the love for Blind Side or Bullock.

Serious Man was interesting, at least. I laughed quite a bit - though I admit at the end I didn't understand what I had just seen.

In terms of other films to nominate, I agree with UB that Star Trek could have easily been nominated. I'd also bring up 500 Days of Summer and maybe The Messenger. A film I liked - but many didn't - was The Brothers Bloom. I probably would have found a spot for that one were it up to me.

colorfulflowers
02-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Avatar. an amazing movie! the director is truly amazing and deserves the box office hits!

------------------------------------
NFL Clothing & Gear:NFL Shop (http://www.topnflnews.com/) coach purses (http://www.coachpursescheap.com/)

Pig Nash
02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I just don't understand the love for Blind Side or Bullock.

Serious Man was interesting, at least. I laughed quite a bit - though I admit at the end I didn't understand what I had just seen.

In terms of other films to nominate, I agree with UB that Star Trek could have easily been nominated. I'd also bring up 500 Days of Summer and maybe The Messenger. A film I liked - but many didn't - was The Brothers Bloom. I probably would have found a spot for that one were it up to me.

I loved the Brothers Bloom. I loved Brick so I was naturally inclined.

I heard the Messenger has good acting but isn't really a good movie, would you agree?

GO!!!!!
02-02-2010, 11:34 PM
Blind Side

I just watched the blind side...

I didn't mind it, a little bit corny but can't fault a true story... real feel good movie...

I was almost feeling bad for watching it work and not doing it justice... mind you the 2 hours it took was a slight over kill, and maybe it was all to happy you could say, but in general good movie..

Invention of Lying

not bad not good, first time I really seen a movie with Ricky G, not really my cup of tea and N8R gave a fair review

Stepfather

I like it for what it was a so/so action/thriller... it's funny the older you get the less I find you can relate to movies that have teenages... I still don't why everyone thought it was ok that the Step Dad had like ten locked lockers in the basement, mind you that dude could flat out kill some people...

JB24
02-03-2010, 08:06 AM
It's not really a surprise, but Moon not getting any recognition is still pretty disappointing. If part of their mission is to reward innovation, then i'm not sure why dreck like the blind side is getting nominated.

Unclebuck
02-03-2010, 08:56 AM
Blind Side

I just watched the blind side...

I didn't mind it, a little bit corny but can't fault a true story... real feel good movie...

I was almost feeling bad for watching it work and not doing it justice... mind you the 2 hours it took was a slight over kill, and maybe it was all to happy you could say, but in general good movie..

I don't mean to pick on Blind Side. My problem with the movie besides what I thought was just way too much hookiness - never rolled my euyes so much at a movie before - and I'm a sucker for that type of true story. My problem is that while the overall story is true - it seemed like it was so whitewashed it didn't feel real or true to me. Besides that I didn't think the acting, writing, directing was anywhere near Oscar worthy

GO!!!!!
02-03-2010, 05:38 PM
darn net timed out and my post didn't post...

could be a good thing as it was pretty intense, I agree with you UB.. by the looks of it, the movie was directed and designed to appeal to a certain audience and it did that well, but it certainly was more main stream feel good then hard hitting reality struggle story which it should/could have been...

N8R
02-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Winged Creatures (also titled Fragments)

Saw it at the in house theatre in the hostel I am currently staying in. It has kate Beckinsale, Forest Whitaker and Dakota Fanning to name a few. Since watching The Secret Life Of Bees with Dakota Fanning in it I have been trying to see her other movies as she was so excellent in SLOB (hahaha just realised that acronym). This movie was just sort of all over the place. It was about an event that changed all the people in a coffee shop and it followed them around. There just wasnt that come together story line that I thought there would be. Too much jumping around so you didnt get involved enough to care about any actor. After a while I was just hoping to see Kate Beckinsale naked, which I might have, not sure who's boobs I saw in the movie. Anyways dont waste your time with this one.

Erik
02-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Holloween 2 (Rob Zombie) It wasn't as good as the first one, but it was good. You get to see Michael Myers face in this one. I'm not a big fan of horror flicks, but I do enjoy Rob Zombies stuff.

avoidingtheclowns
02-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I loved the Brothers Bloom. I loved Brick so I was naturally inclined.

Yup, both were fantastic. High-five!

I heard the Messenger has good acting but isn't really a good movie, would you agree?

I'd agree, I didn't think it was great (the performances were pretty damn good, same with Serious Man too) but it received a screenplay nomination so I thought that at least made a little more sense.

I'd rank them like this:

DESERVED NOMINATIONS
-An Education
-Hurt Locker
-Precious
-Up in the Air

CAN UNDERSTAND WITH EXPANDED NOMS
-Inglourious Basterds

REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND, BUT WHATEVER
-District 9
-A Serious Man
-Up

WTF?
-The Blind Side

District 9 was okay, not great. It was an interesting twist on alien invasion films in that the humans are the aggressors, not the aliens. But the apartheid metaphor is heavy-handed by the end and they just kind of drop the mockdoc style a third of the way through for no real reason.

A Serious Man ... I laughed at this quite a bit but at the end of it, I really wasn't sure what the hell I'd just watched. Performances were pretty good but it was intentionally confusing. It's certainly not the best from the Coens. So I don't really think it should be top 10 for the year.

Up ... not really sure what this Pixar movie did that others haven't previously accomplished. Also, I thought films could be nominated in either Animated / Documentary OR Best Picture (wasn't that the deal with Fahrenheit 9/11 when Moore chose to submit it to Best Picture instead of Best Doc and didn't get nominated). Who knows?

I'm not sold on expanding the category but if you have decided to expand and "youthenize" the Oscar audience by including more box office hits than just indie films middle America doesn't get as much of a chance to see, I don't see why films like Star Trek or, frankly, The Hangover were passed over for something as cloying as The Blind Side. Both ST and H were better reviewed and did better (albeit slightly) at the box office.

N8R
02-04-2010, 02:20 AM
The Uninvited

Different than what I was expecting. It was alright acting. It was OK. Very average.

Trader Joe
02-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Finally saw The Hurt Locker figured it was time after everyone raved about it. I'd put right up there with Generation Kill (not a movie, HBO mini-series) in terms of recent takes on the modern war that I thought were moving and really made you think. Incredibly well done.

N8R
02-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge Of The Sith

Wow what a terrible movie.

Unclebuck
02-08-2010, 01:18 PM
Couples Retreat wow that was bad. Not only wasn't it funny it was very awkward, tasteless and just weird.

count55
02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Inglorious Basterds

Good movie, but, as with almost all of Tarantino's movies, I think he undercuts the quality of the flick with his inability to resist cartoony violence and unnecessary gore.

N8R
02-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Invictus

I didnt really know what this movie was about going in. It was a good story and great acting. Now I wasnt fully able to focus as I was there with a girl I got distracted during the movie so I am sure I will need to see it again to fully understand what was going on.

cdash
02-09-2010, 02:30 AM
WTF?
-The Blind Side

+1

The expanded nominations really dilute being nominated imo. Huge mistake on the part of the Academy. I fear we are only going to see more WTF nominations in the future.

Unclebuck
02-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Perfect Getaway

Fun movie. Just don't think too much and you will enjoy. Worth seeing as a 90 minute diversion. Doesn't really make sense in the end, but it does hold your attention during

Bball
02-16-2010, 01:52 AM
Terminator Salvation

Overall- Popcorn movie. Just sit and watch things blow up and fly around and try not to think too deeply into things. It'll kill some time.

Did someone lose some script pages? Will there be a directors cut with several 100 yards of film put back into the movie? Christian Bale might've gave the film initial gravitas but Keanu Reeves could've played the same part exactly the same. In fact, it was Christian Bale playing Keanu Reeves playing John Connor.

Connor is supposed to be the future leader of the resistance but he's not the 'leader' of the resistance in this movie... though he appears to be some kind of hero to the movement... for some reason. I never saw WHY he was supposed to be so highly regarded and a line or two could've explained it if someone would've bothered to put it in the movie.

Plus, there was nothing to really make you believe Connor should have worldwide acclaim as a mythic figure in the resistance. It's not like he seemed to be overly respected even among his own comrades. Which then created another sticking point for me...

The resistance leadership thinks they have the answer to win the war against Skynet. Considering timeliness and surprise would be a factor, it made no sense for Connor to ask the resistance to ignore the leadership of the resistance when they announced it was time for the attack and instead Connor broadcast a message to ask them to stand down worldwide and ignore the leadership.

He wanted to rescue the people in ONE of Skynet's prisons/camps/labs/whatever. Was THAT the only one? I'm also fairly sure he was worried about this even before he knew his future/past father was amongst the prisoners.

Again, some simple dialogue and an addtl scene could've made me feel better about this. Ultimately, the leadership had fallen for a Skynet trap. If Conner would've figured out it was a trap and THAT is why he called for the resistance to stand down then you could understand it. But that's not how they played it. It was only discovered to be a trap when command realized they were in the crosshairs of Skynet and their 'discovery' (and key to their planned offensive) wasn't working to turn off the machines. Skynet instead used the signal they were broadcasting to track them down.

It didn't work out good for the leadership of the resistance... but the stand down Conner begged for from the resistance in the field meant that they weren't wiped out in a fruitless attack worldwide like headquarters was. But Conner didn't ask them to stand down because it was a trap... he wanted to rescue the people Skynet was holding prisoner in San Francisco.

Then the end Conner received what should've likely been a death blow at the end. They did get him back to camp but they claimed there was nothing that could be done for him. His heart was too weak to survive.

That's when our other hero (another character only partly explained)... a part man/machine that may or may not have originally been part of what became Skynet volunteered to donate his heart to Conner.

IMHO THIS guy appeared more important to the war than Conner. He had a unique perspective and talents (obviously). The heart donation made the ending rather silly. Just don't impale Conner in the chest... or just don't claim he's dying... Let alone sacrifice this other guy for Conner.

Again, Conner never was established as anything special for the cause. His call to stand down was ultimately the right thing for the wrong reason. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. The story really needs to put more work in establishing his importance to the movement. Especially if the heart donor really did die to donate his heart to Conner. Conner IMHO would've been more important to the resistance as a martyr.... the way the movie played out.

Hopefully they fix some of this in the followup... IF there is a followup...

Also... Bale's Batman growl voice didn't do much for the movie either...

Pacersfan46
02-16-2010, 03:02 AM
I have come to tell you all, that if you do not go see Alice in Wonderland, I will have to show up at your place of residence and kick you in the shins.

A buddy of mine I've been friends with since I was in 2nd grade worked on this movie. As of February 1st he took a job at Hydraulx and is now working on movies such as Iron Man 2 and The A Team. However Alice in Wonderland is his first major movie credit and I can't wait to see what he's helped create.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3363668/

-- Steve --

tora tora
02-16-2010, 04:08 AM
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l26/halfwildhalfchild/UrbanJustice.jpg

jhonepawell
02-16-2010, 07:10 AM
The Most Dangerous Man in America directed by Judith Ehrlich and Rick Goldsmith.

avoidingtheclowns
02-16-2010, 12:15 PM
The Most Dangerous Man in America directed by Judith Ehrlich and Rick Goldsmith.

Almost went to see that Friday night. Landmark E Street in DC was having a Q&A with Ellsberg but it sold out by the time I tried calling.

How was it?

DGPR
02-18-2010, 12:42 AM
More Than A Game
This is one of the best sports movies I've ever seen, very emotional.

btowncolt
02-18-2010, 09:56 AM
The Hangover. Again.

That must be why they call it "Sin City." Ha ha ha ha ha.....ha.

Suaveness
02-18-2010, 10:02 AM
The Hangover. Again.

That must be why they call it "Sin City." Ha ha ha ha ha.....ha.

You're weird.

Unclebuck
02-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Saw two movies over the weekend

Shutter Island As expected very well made, great acting, individual scenes were excellent and as I was watching the movie I was interested and enjoyed it a lot. After the movie was over and looking back I didn't like it as well in retrospect. I won't say too much more than that as I don't want to spoil it.

Single Man Almost the oppposite of Shutter Islan in that as I was watching it I didn't love it, but I did enjoy certain scenes. But after it was over several scenes have stuck with me - great, great acting job and I have found myself thinking a lot about this movie two days after seeing it

Twes
02-22-2010, 09:31 AM
The Hurt Locker

Very good

Natston
02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Public Enemies

Truly disappointed to say the least. One thing I was impressed with was the lack of CG effects but the shoooting at the end was destroyed by them.

District 9

I really really enjoyed this movie.

cdash
02-23-2010, 03:10 AM
Air Bud: Golden Receiver

Hahaha, yeah, it was great.

chrisssteeven
02-26-2010, 07:35 AM
I last watched 'This is Spinal Tap'.
Great parody mockumentary. Clever is an understatement.
So many people I know just don't get it. They even think its a real doco about a typically vapid metal head, has-been band that no-one has heard of.
They even tell me they 'don't know when to laugh' at it. WTF? If you find something funny, then you laugh. Some people.

AesopRockOn
03-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Crazy Heart - Really not a super movie. Nice in parts, weak in others. Unfortunate that people have compared it (though rightfully so) to The Wrestler. Bridges carries the thing. Give it a watch.

bellisimo
03-01-2010, 04:07 AM
The Wolfman

was not impressed. :(

Unclebuck
03-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Crazy Heart - Really not a super movie. Nice in parts, weak in others. Unfortunate that people have compared it (though rightfully so) to The Wrestler. Bridges carries the thing. Give it a watch.

I loved Crazy Heart it is similar in a lot of ways to the Wrestler, but I liked Crazy Heart better. Great acting, but very absorbing, the characters drew me in and I just loved the movie

Bball
03-01-2010, 12:12 PM
"The Hurt Locker"

Not what I expected but very good and interesting.

duke dynamite
03-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Cop Out

It was hilarious. This was the first movie that Kevin Smith directed but did not write. It had that feel to it.

Los Angeles
03-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Saw Shutter Island the other night. I liked it a lot more than most critics. It sits solidly in the top 50% of Scorcese's movies for me. I thought about it quite a lot over the next two days. comparing that to all the forgettable movies I've seen this year, that says quite a lot.

Unclebuck
03-02-2010, 08:43 AM
Finally watched 2012 . I am not sure if it is so bad it is bad or so bad it is good. Strangely it yeld my attention for the most part, the 2.5 hours went by pretty fast, but the number of times where it was just so over-the-top or just plain stupid was in the double figures.

N8R
03-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Inglorious Basterds

I have been trying to see this movie for a long time now but I could never time things out properly or download a good copy of it. I think I wanted to see it for so long and heard so much about it that there was no way it could live up to what I was expecting and of course it did not. I liked it dont get me wrong but it was just so different from what I was expecting. I think I need to see it a few more times knowing what to expect.

N8R
03-02-2010, 11:22 PM
Rails & Ties

A truly great Kevin Bacon film... like those exist. It wasnt terrible though. It is about a train operator who's wife has terminal cancer but he [kevin] can't deal with it and a woman drives her car in front of a train he is operating and kills herself but her son survives and finds Kevin and his wife. It was an alright story but to go as far as recommending it would be a stretch.

N8R
03-04-2010, 03:16 AM
Restraint

It is an Australian made movie and it reeked of it. Small cast, small budget, but lots of the main chick's boobs so it was all good.

bellisimo
03-04-2010, 04:20 AM
Old Dogs
better than expected...

Natston
03-06-2010, 04:47 AM
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

I went in with the lowest expectations possible and to my surprise this movie...

Is more godawful than I could ever imagine. Worse than Transformers. Bad. As a matter of fact, the movie is playing right now and I'm typing this out because I cannot force myself to pay attention. May God have mercy on my soul.

Sookie
03-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Alice in Wonderland

pretty good, I feel like though..that Disney held Tim Burton back a bit.

Los Angeles
03-07-2010, 03:01 AM
It Might Get Loud

Documentary featuring Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), the Edge (U2) and Jack White (White Stripes, The Raconteurs).

Anyone who has any interest in the subject of music (especially the guitar) as an means to artistic expression MUST see this movie. It is really fantastic.

Stryder
03-07-2010, 08:43 AM
It Might Get Loud

Documentary featuring Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin), the Edge (U2) and Jack White (White Stripes, The Raconteurs).

Anyone who has any interest in the subject of music (especially the guitar) as an means to artistic expression MUST see this movie. It is really fantastic.

Yes, yes it is very very good.

Suaveness
03-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Alice in Wonderland

I thought it was good, but the end was a little anticlimactic. I agree with the comment that it felt Disney held him back, but maybe the story itself did. I thought it was mostly good though, entertaining.

bellisimo
03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Ninja Assassin
good ninja flick - don't expect crazy plotline...nice action sequences though...a bit Tarantino style gore though...

N8R
03-08-2010, 03:55 AM
Passengers

Very twisty and turny but the ending surprised me and that is a feat. Usually I can figure out the ending midway through the movie so I liked this one. Plus Anne Hathaway is in it and she is a enough to get me to watch a movie.

N8R
03-08-2010, 03:56 AM
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Fast

Good comedy. I thought it would have been better from the reviews I had read about it and heard from people. I did enjoy it but I felt like it could have pushes the limits of raunchyness a little more than it did. Some good character though.

N8R
03-08-2010, 03:57 AM
Gran Torino

Seen it before but I hadnt seen it in a while. I liked it more or at least the same amount the second time through. I was able to focus on the story more because I knew what was going to be coming up. Clint Eastwood is one racist ******* in this movie.

Unclebuck
03-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Hurt Locker was very deserving as best picture. I think 5-10 years from now that will up up very well as best picture. (I wish they would reveal the complete voting to see how close it was and what came in second and so forth)

duke dynamite
03-08-2010, 02:22 PM
The Invention of Lying

I thought it was a very well-done comedy, and very deep as well. Imagine a universe with no religion or fiction, everything you knew was fact, or one's perceived fact. There were a couple of really sad moments in the movie, but it puts why sometimes telling a lie to help someone in need.

Mr_Smith
03-11-2010, 07:49 AM
The Stepfather remake. Good movie

travmil
03-12-2010, 09:32 AM
I saw Alice in Wonderland too. I thought it was OK but like those above, I kept wishing that someone other than Disney could get their hands on it. I kept thinking that if you're going to do this really trippy and freaky version of Wonderland, what they should have done is let Guillermo Del Toro have it and give it the full Pan's Labyrinth style treatment. Now THAT would have been freaky.

N8R
03-13-2010, 09:37 PM
500 Days Of Summer

It was alright. They had said it was this past summers answer to Juno, which it was just as good or just as bad. I like the main actor, the guy from angels in the outfield, as he has done some interesting roles in movies since leaving the 3rd rock from the sun. It was well acted and it would be a good date movie or just a movie to watch with chicks.

N8R
03-13-2010, 09:38 PM

Darker animated film, still not too sure what it was actually about or why it was made but I enjoyed seeing a darker animated film. It was an interesting story but like I said not too sure what the story was really about.

N8R
Funny People

I hadn't heard a single good review about this movie so I had the lowest expectations going into this film. It lived up to the bad reviews as I had no idea why this film was even made, why I should feel for any of the characters. I didn't hate it as much as I am sure I should have, but I wouldn't spend the time to recommend it to anyone else though either.

N8R
Gamer

Wow, shouldn't have bothered. Interesting concept where convicts are controlled by gamers and it is a real life situation but I mean come on. Poor acting, concept falls apart and just ludicrous.

N8R
The Invention of Lying

Watched if for the second time. The first half of the film when everyone can't lie and the insult are a flying is great, but the second half does get a bit lame when Ricky Gervais' character becomes too emotional. Even in the first half his character seems to lie a few times or at least doesn't say what is on his mind.

N8R
03-13-2010, 09:39 PM
The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard

Funny comedy but I expected something raunchier with Ari Gold as the leading man, I wanted to see the same sort of character but he felt a little soft (that's what she said). There were some great moments, like the 40yr old 10yr old in the film was a good gag and the start with the hate crime had me laughing but the overall story and ending just seemed a bit of a let down.

N8R
The Blind Side

A movie about a poor black kid who gets a break and makes it to the NFL. Surprised Sandra Bullock got the Oscar for this one. She just seemed like anyone. Maybe that is what made her so good, is that she seemed very natural in this one. It had it's moments of cheese, it moments of touching and its moments of poor acting, but really what film doesn't. There were a few moments that had me chocked up and a few that really made me think of life and helping others but then it ended and I played some Guitar Hero and the world went back to normal.

N8R
Chicago 10

It is a documentary based on the 1968 Democratic Convention held in Chicago and the ensuing riots and protests that followed. It is based on actual footage and on the court transcripts that took place after the fact. It was pretty cool and interesting, a little heavy on the hippie love side but it was well done and a good watch.

N8R
Fireflies In The Garden

Has Ryan Reynolds, Julia Roberts and William Dafoe in this one. Don't remember hearing about this movie in theatres and I really had no idea what is was going to be about when I went to watch it but I figured what the hell lets add to the list of movies I have seen. It is about a death in the family and how it brings up the past and the relationships between everyone. It has its moments but it wasn't great nor was it terrible. It held my attention for the full 96 minutes.

N8R
03-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Bewster's Millions

Old school comedy with John Candy and Richard Pryer. It is about a guy who is going to inherit $300 million if he can spend $30 million is 30 days without having any assets at the end so he basically has to blow the $30 million in 30 days. It wasn't all that funny but it was made in the 80's I think or maybe 70's but it cant really hold up to comedies now anyways, but for what it was it was pretty good. I liked the idea of having to spend the $30 million because I would love to have that challenge.

N8R
03-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Get Smart's Bruce And Lloyd: Out Of Control

Terrible. I wasn't expecting much and I had to watch this in 3 instalments because I hated it so much but when I start a movie I finish it. Please dear god don't waste your time watching, downloading, looking this movie up and quite frankly reading this or any other review of this horrid horrid "movie".

N8R
03-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Family Guy: Something Something Something Dark Sider

It was your typical Family guy take on Star Wars. I liked it.

sweabs
03-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Koyaanisqatsi

Powerful...

Natston
03-14-2010, 06:55 AM
Still Waiting

I could never recommend this movie or the first one but they strike closely to my heart because of my former employment (especially Justin Long's character).

Los Angeles
03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Koyaanisqatsi

Powerful...

Absolutely, without a doubt, my favorite movie of all time. No other comes close.

sweabs
03-14-2010, 02:04 PM
Absolutely, without a doubt, my favorite movie of all time. No other comes close.
I don't think I have experienced so many different emotions and thoughts during a movie. And if I were to watch it again, I'd probably have an entirely new experience. That's the beauty of it.

It was my first time watching it. One shot that stood out to me was this one:

http://www.spiritofbaraka.com/sites/www.spiritofbaraka.com/files/images/KoyanisA579.jpg

This picture could keep a philosopher busy for years!

Mourning
03-14-2010, 03:00 PM
Hurt Locker was very deserving as best picture. I think 5-10 years from now that will up up very well as best picture. (I wish they would reveal the complete voting to see how close it was and what came in second and so forth)

Yup! Very good movie. Good that they basically cut the potential political messages out of this movie as that is surely not what it's about. Definitely a must-see IMHO.

I also saw "500 days (of summer)". Another very good movie IMHO, but I realise it's not for everybody. Note: this movie has an absolutely superb musical score. Loved it.

Just saw "Good" with Viggo Mortensen about a professor in literature who rights a novel about mercy killing of his story telling person then gets approached by the NAZI's in 1937 to work for them and his ideas are distorted into something absolutely horrendous and he in fact gets distorted along the way, though he does seem to realize in the end that he has helped create something horrific. A rather slow drama driven movie, but worth seeying for sure.

GI-Joe... haven't seen it (yet) and I'm glad about it, but I fear the day I can't escape it is nearing... I'm absolutely DREADING seeying this one.

Mourning
03-14-2010, 03:02 PM

What's it about? I don't think I have ever heard of this title.

Mourning
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Gran Torino

Seen it before but I hadnt seen it in a while. I liked it more or at least the same amount the second time through. I was able to focus on the story more because I knew what was going to be coming up. Clint Eastwood is one racist ******* in this movie.

AWESOME MOVIE! I can't understate this. Loved it when I first saw it and still loved it when I saw it the second time. Can't remember if it won anything, but it definitely should have and if it didn't that would have been a total shame.

Los Angeles
03-14-2010, 03:05 PM
GI-Joe... haven't seen it (yet) and I'm glad about it, but I fear the day I can't escape it is nearing... I'm absolutely DREADING seeying this one.

Why do that to yourself? I haven't seen it and I know ... for a FACT ... that it is a gigantic waste of time. Tell you what. Any time you feel like you are going to watch it, grab a coat or jacket and a book and leave the house. you will have 1000 times more fun. Come back after two hours and think of the torture you just avoided.

Los Angeles
03-14-2010, 03:10 PM
What's it about? I don't think I have ever heard of this title.

It's hard to describe. Think of it as a documentary without a narrator. They just compile all kinds of footage from modern life using aerial photography, long-distance "zoom" lenses and time-lapse photography to name just a few.

The original score was written and performed by Philip Glass.

Sound boring? It isn't. It is just as breathtaking today as it was when it was made 30 years ago.

Some people leave this film inspired. Others leave terrified. Others still feel lost. Some leave the film feeling cleansed.

Just let your mind go and take it in. You likely won't think of filmmaking the same again.

Mourning
03-14-2010, 03:12 PM
Why do that to yourself? I haven't seen it and I know ... for a FACT ... that it is a gigantic waste of time. Tell you what. Any time you feel like you are going to watch it, grab a coat or jacket and a book and leave the house. you will have 1000 times more fun. Come back after two hours and think of the torture you just avoided.

Ever heard of the concept called "girlfriend"? ;).

Trust me I will do almost, almost everything to dodge this one :sweat:

It's hard to describe. Think of it as a documentary without a narrator. They just compile all kinds of footage from modern life using aerial photography, long-distance "zoom" lenses and time-lapse photography to name just a few.

The original score was written and performed by Philip Glass.

Sound boring? It isn't. It is just as breathtaking today as it was when it was made 30 years ago.

Some people leave this film inspired. Others leave terrified. Others still feel lost. Some leave the film feeling cleansed.

Just let your mind go and take it in. You likely won't think of filmmaking the same again.

Thx. I will see if I can see it sometime then :).

Bball
03-14-2010, 03:15 PM
For me, Hurt Locker was good but I never thought I was watching an Oscar winner.

Los Angeles
03-14-2010, 03:29 PM
For me, Hurt Locker was good but I never thought I was watching an Oscar winner.

If I look at the oscar winners from the last 20 or 30 years, I can say half of them didn't deserve it. Case in point: what movie won when Pulp Fiction came out? Don't remember? Exactly.

Hurt Locker was fantastic. But it was a fantastic ACTION movie, a genre that almost never gets oscar gold. It won because the voters wanted to reward a smart, genuine, apolitical action movie.

But there were still politics in the vote. They also wanted the movie's female director to finally get her day.

Los Angeles
03-14-2010, 03:32 PM
OK, so I just looked it up, and BOY did I pick a bad year to use as an example.

1994:
Best Picture
WINNER Forrest Gump, Wendy Finerman, Steve Tisch and Steve Starkey, producers (Paramount)
Four Weddings and a Funeral, Duncan Kenworthy, producer (Gramercy)
Pulp Fiction, Lawrence Bender, producer (Miramax)
Quiz Show, Robert Redford, Michael Jacobs, Julian Krainin and Michael Nozik, producers (Buena Vista)
The Shawshank Redemption, Niki Marvin, producer (Columbia)

EDIT - four weddings and a funeral? REALLY?!? WTF?!

Bball
03-14-2010, 04:39 PM
OK, so I just looked it up, and BOY did I pick a bad year to use as an example.

1994:
Best Picture
WINNER Forrest Gump, Wendy Finerman, Steve Tisch and Steve Starkey, producers (Paramount)
Four Weddings and a Funeral, Duncan Kenworthy, producer (Gramercy)
Pulp Fiction, Lawrence Bender, producer (Miramax)
Quiz Show, Robert Redford, Michael Jacobs, Julian Krainin and Michael Nozik, producers (Buena Vista)
The Shawshank Redemption, Niki Marvin, producer (Columbia)

EDIT - four weddings and a funeral? REALLY?!? WTF?!

Oscar nominees are like a box of chocolates.... You never know what.... nevermind.... ;)

Sookie
03-14-2010, 09:31 PM
I saw Alice in Wonderland too. I thought it was OK but like those above, I kept wishing that someone other than Disney could get their hands on it. I kept thinking that if you're going to do this really trippy and freaky version of Wonderland, what they should have done is let Guillermo Del Toro have it and give it the full Pan's Labyrinth style treatment. Now THAT would have been freaky.

Tim Burton and Alice In wonderland were a perfect match, IMO.

Problem was..Tim Burton and Disney....not so much.

And thing is, Disney is capable of doing "older" movies..like Pirates, but this was clearly pretty much a kids movie.

Suaveness
03-15-2010, 02:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcDeNo6KUs

As I really love Gladiator, this makes me excited. I hope it's good.

Natston
03-15-2010, 02:25 AM
Trust me I will do almost, almost everything to dodge this one :sweat:

I'll just bump my thoughts for whenever you come close to watching it.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

I went in with the lowest expectations possible and to my surprise this movie...

Is more godawful than I could ever imagine. Worse than Transformers. Bad. As a matter of fact, the movie is playing right now and I'm typing this out because I cannot force myself to pay attention. May God have mercy on my soul.

sweabs
03-15-2010, 10:40 PM
American History X

...is just such a good movie. I don't know how many times I've seen it.

Twes
03-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Hotel Rwanda
Texas Chainsaw Massacre the Beginning
Doubt
Couples Retreat

N8R
03-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Extract

Written by Mike Judge, the same guy who created King Of The Hill, Office Space so I figured I would give it a try. It was a pretty different story, but in a good way. It wasn't a long movie but it sort of dragged on at the end. There were a few times I figured the movie would end, but then something else would happen.

N8R
The Age of Stupid

It is a documentary style move about how global warming is going to end our civilisation. It uses real footage from the past and present to illustrate the point. It was interesting to see some of the "proof" and the scare tactics they use to get everyone to change their ways. If the movie as true we are all screwed, but hey we are supposed to die on December 21, 2012 so let's enjoy our time.

N8R
Old Dogs

Not expecting much from this because I mean really it is John Travolta and Robin Williams in a movie about Robin Williams becoming a father and I mean he is like 60 as is so it is ridiculous, but they do make many a joke about how his age and his grandfather looks. Not a good movie, not the worst. I would say pass.

N8R
Fool's Gold

Had stupid Mathew McCounaghy movie written all over it, and it was. It reminded me of Sahara in that he is a treasure hunter looking for an ancient lost treasure. Also had Kate Hudson and few other recognisable faces but it was just a very typical movie, no real substance, not great acting and just not really worth the time.

N8R
03-24-2010, 06:07 AM
All About Steve

I didn't think it was Sandra Bullock in this movie until I played it. I thought it was Kristen Bell or whatever that chicks name is from so seeing Sandra Bullock playing that character was a little weird considering the last movie I saw her in was [b]Blind Side which she of course won the best actress award at the oscars. This character was a lot different from her academy one, and not in a good way. This whole movie just reeked of bad writing, bad acting, and stupid story.

N8R
Up In The Air

Interesting. I thought it was going to be about something a little different. I didn't know much going into the movie other than it had been nominated for a bunch of oscars but didn't take home many if any. George Clooney of course played himself, like he does in every film and the leading ladies did their parts well. It was well acted and I quite enjoyed it. The ending was a little predictable, but most movies are so I don't expect much.

N8R
Julie & Julia

I went into this movie expecting to hate it. It seemed like a long winded movie about a couple of chicks who cook, I mean who wants to see that really? Turns out I did. It was more than I expected and very well acted. The story kept me entertained and I couldn't predict anything that was going to happen. Meryl Streep's voice in this movie was super annoying though. I assume the real Julia Child's talked like that so it was supposed to be there but I just had a hard time not hating her character because of the stupid voice. It sort of reminded me of Mos Def in 16 Blocks when he had a high pitched voice that sounded very fake and didn't really serve a purpose other than to annoy the audience, you wonder why not many people have seen that movie.

N8R
Uncle Buck

Caught this one on TV. It had been a while since I last saw it. Still stands the test of time as far as the story and acting but man are those clothes so out of date. It made me laugh anytime they were at the high school and all the students were dressed like total morons, but hey when a movie was made in the 80's it didn't have much hope, I am sure 20-30 years from now when we look back at the movies made around now we will think the same thing, when we are all wearing single coloured onsies.

N8R
Sleepers

Another movie I caught on the good ole TV. And another one that still stands the test of time. I forgot that Brad Pitt was in this movie so that was a surprise, I had also been watching Entourage a few days before and they mentioned the movie in season 5 so I thought it was a little funny how it came on a few days later. For those that haunt seen it, the movie is about a group of 4 teenage kids who commit a tupped crime and get sent to boys prison where they are sexually abused and then it catches up with them about 20 years after and you see what is up. Don't want to spoil too much but if you haven't seen it yet, go out and do so.

N8R
Jennifer's Body

I heard about this movie a while ago because there were some "topless" pictures of Megan Fox that came out from the shooting of this movie, but she is never topless in the movie so don't expect that, but what you can expect is a poorly acted role by Fox, which we all already do anyways, but she does make out with Amanda Seyfried who I find very gorgeous so I liked the movie for that alone. If you are expecting much else you are going to be disappointed.

N8R
03-24-2010, 06:08 AM
Fight Night

Not sure if this movie was ever released or what but I am sure it didn't make too much money. It is about a boxing manager who rigs fights in the underground bare knuckled boxing. He ends up meeting a chick who can fight well and he promotes her and wins lots of money, cue falling in love, cue old promoter trying to kill new one, cue everything you would expect out of a movie called Fight Night or possibly Rigged, but not worth downloading, renting or searching the net for.

N8R
03-24-2010, 06:08 AM
G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra

I heard nothing but bad reviews or just unsatisfied reviews at best so I had little hope I would like it but I did enjoy it. It was a somewhat stupid story and really weird but I liked the action, I liked the weapons and I liked the hot girls in tight clothing.

Natston
03-24-2010, 06:14 AM
G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra

I heard nothing but bad reviews or just unsatisfied reviews at best so I had little hope I would like it but I did enjoy it. It was a somewhat stupid story and really weird but I liked the action, I liked the weapons and I liked the hot girls in tight clothing.

Unthanks.

Natston
03-24-2010, 06:17 AM
Sleepers

Another movie I caught on the good ole TV. And another one that still stands the test of time. I forgot that Brad Pitt was in this movie so that was a surprise, I had also been watching Entourage a few days before and they mentioned the movie in season 5 so I thought it was a little funny how it came on a few days later. For those that haunt seen it, the movie is about a group of 4 teenage kids who commit a tupped crime and get sent to boys prison where they are sexually abused and then it catches up with them about 20 years after and you see what is up. Don't want to spoil too much but if you haven't seen it yet, go out and do so.

Yep. Especially if you're one those people who like to think. It's a really good thinking movie, if you think about it.

Bball
03-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Does watching "The Pacific" on HBO count as a movie or TV? 10 part mini-series from the same people that brought us "Band of Brothers".

Peck
03-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Does watching "The Pacific" on HBO count as a movie or TV? 10 part mini-series from the same people that brought us "Band of Brothers".

TV

90% of movies that are made don't have patience to develop a story the way TV can.

That is not a slam at movies btw, they have time restraints, but if you want a truely developing story line tv is usually the way you have to find it.

Hicks
03-24-2010, 04:03 PM
TV

90% of movies that are made don't have patience to develop a story the way TV can.

That is not a slam at movies btw, they have time restraints, but if you want a truely developing story line tv is usually the way you have to find it.

This goes along with what others have previously said and I tend to agree with, and that is that this past decade doesn't hold a candle to the 90's with regards the quality of movies, but what sometimes doesn't get mentioned in such a discussion is just how much better television has gotten.

Shows like the Sopranos, the Wire, Battlestar Galactica, Mad Men, the Shield, etc, etc, etc. make up most of the cream of the crop in storytelling in the 2000's. To say nothing of mini series such as Band of Brothers.

Suaveness
03-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Dexter and Rome are right up there too.

Unclebuck
03-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Saw The Ghost Writer over the weekend and I knew what to expect going in. A small old fashioned thriller. I wanted to really like it and I liked the tone, pace, setting. However the story never really drew me in, so overall it didn't do it for me

Looking forward to seeing Greenberg probably next weekend

rexnom
03-30-2010, 02:34 AM
Saw The Ghost Writer over the weekend and I knew what to expect going in. A small old fashioned thriller. I wanted to really like it and I liked the tone, pace, setting. However the story never really drew me in, so overall it didn't do it for me

Looking forward to seeing Greenberg probably next weekend
Really want to see both of those.

Natston
04-03-2010, 02:02 AM
The Inglorious *******s

Decent movie. The only thing that I knew going in, was that Tarantino's film had almost nothing based on it. But if you liked Inglourious Basterds, you should check out The Inglorious *******s.

Pig Nash
04-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Just watched Where the Wild Things Are. Liked it. Didn't love it.

Suaveness
04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
How to Train Your Dragon- was a lot of fun to watch...really cute movie

Unclebuck
04-05-2010, 08:12 AM
Did go to see Greenberg . Didn't really enjoy it. It was very real, just not very entertaining.

N8R
04-08-2010, 02:03 AM
The Informers

Still not too sure what this movie is actually supposed to be about and that in a nutshell explains that it wasnt very good. Some nice titties though.

N8R
04-08-2010, 02:04 AM
The Last House On The Left

Yeah it is really titled that. I didnt have high hopes going into this movie mostly because of the ridiculous title but it turned out to be pretty good. Watched with a few other people so we were able to give the eww and ahhs around each death. Very violent and disturbing and for that reason I would recommend it.

CableKC
04-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I finally got around to seeing Hot Tub Time Machine. Hilarious movie if you grew up in the 80s. There were just some LOL parts in the movie....especially the part where the Rob Cordrey charecter lost the bet he made at the Bar on that Elway touchdown.

Stryder
04-08-2010, 07:06 PM
The Last House On The Left

Yeah it is really titled that. I didnt have high hopes going into this movie mostly because of the ridiculous title but it turned out to be pretty good. Watched with a few other people so we were able to give the eww and ahhs around each death. Very violent and disturbing and for that reason I would recommend it.

Watch the Wes Craven original version...

N8R
04-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I will have to now there Styder, thanks for the heads up. Did not even know this was a remake.

Bra Boys

It is a documentary about a surf 'gang' who were notorious for causing trouble on a beach outside of Sydney. It was pretty entertaining. A few members of the Bra Boys were pro surfers and they could all surf well. It was a good watch.

N8R
04-08-2010, 09:29 PM
State Of Play

Better than expected.

Mourning
04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
"The Green Zone". I liked it a lot.

Natston
04-13-2010, 03:35 PM
State of Play

One of those good movies that becomes forgettable because nothing really stands out.

Gone in 60 Seconds

This was the original. It has a very light story but it sets up the great 40 minute chase scene at the end.

Hicks
04-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Kick-***

I liked it a little better than I thought I would. I had a fun enough time, and I think it's good (not great).

I still want to see a movie that takes the initial premise of this one (the character known as Kick-***) and leave out any of the more fantastical elements (like Hit-Girl).

Still, for what this movie is, it's well done, it was entertaining, I got into it, and I left feeling satisfied.

Skaut_Ech
04-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Kick-***

I liked it a little better than I thought I would. I had a fun enough time, and I think it's good (not great).

I still want to see a movie that takes the initial premise of this one (the character known as Kick-***) and leave out any of the more fantastical elements (like Hit-Girl).

Still, for what this movie is, it's well done, it was entertaining, I got into it, and I left feeling satisfied.

Saw it the first day. Loved it, BUT, there were some elements I had to overlook as being a bit too much or not withing the realm of logic of the movie, but as a comic book geekboy, I loved it.

Hicks, there was a comic book called Star Brand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Brand), from the eighties that explored that concept and it's kinda like what you're talking about to an extent, except the guy did have superpowers, but it showed how he would function in the real world. (Like needing a map when he was flying cause how could you have a sense of dirction with no street signs to guide you?)

I hear ya though. As much as I really liked the movie, it would have been intriguing to go without Hit Girl, but then I think she's what made the movie palatable and commercial. Without her, I think it ends up being way too dark for the masses.....but I would have loved what you propose.

Hicks
04-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I think there's easily room for both kinds of movies. When I first saw a redband trailer featuring Hit-Girl, I wasn't happy and dismissed her because it told me this wasn't the movie I thought it was and what I really wanted to see.

But when I watched, she was so likable that I quickly got over my disappointment and enjoyed the hell out of her. She easily steals the show.

Peck
04-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Saw it the first day. Loved it, BUT, there were some elements I had to overlook as being a bit too much or not withing the realm of logic of the movie, but as a comic book geekboy, I loved it.

Hicks, there was a comic book called Star Brand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Brand), from the eighties that explored that concept and it's kinda like what you're talking about to an extent, except the guy did have superpowers, but it showed how he would function in the real world. (Like needing a map when he was flying cause how could you have a sense of dirction with no street signs to guide you?)

I hear ya though. As much as I really liked the movie, it would have been intriguing to go without Hit Girl, but then I think she's what made the movie palatable and commercial. Without her, I think it ends up being way too dark for the masses.....but I would have loved what you propose.

I notice you had to go to the Marvel Comics group to get your dose of reality.:tongue:;)

Unclebuck
04-18-2010, 02:19 PM
saw Date Night It was amusing for the most part. Seemed like they ran out of material about 2/3 if the way in. Which seemed to force them to make some really poor choices, turning a couple of really bad scenes into a couple of really bad and long scenes.

the first 2/3 was good, a few good laughs

Bball
04-18-2010, 02:51 PM
"Public Enemies"

Finally got around to seeing this one. The first 10-15mins had me wondering about it. I thought I was going to be watching someone's homage to Orson Welles and odd camera angles more than a plot and storyline. I'm not saying there wasn't a couple of nice shots and different angles... but I thought it was going to get distracting.

But it settled in and what I thought was an initial overuse of 'different' camera techniques and visions either disappeared or began to fit with the movie better because the distraction(s) I noticed early were forgotten by 30 mins into movie.

It was far from the best movie I'd ever watch. I probably won't be watching it again unless in passing... but I'd certainly recommend it.

As for what was true and what was movie-making... this site does separate some of the fact from fiction... And some of it is surprising (such as Dillinger really going into the police station unnoticed even as he was "Public Enemy Number 1").

I suppose some of this could be considered spoilers... Even though the movie is based on historical events it's probably best to let it unfold on the screen before seeing this site if you plan to watch the movie-
http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/publicenemies.php

btowncolt
04-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Kick-***

Saw this one on Friday.

I definitely agree that the idea the movie originally was developing would be interesting, but I do think that it would be much shorter and more boring than you might anticipate. I think the script was right on with the character development - you put a high schooler in a situation like that, they're going to be dead/crippled/legs broken within the first 30 minutes of the movie. So you basically had to add some "fantastical" elements to make it a feature-length film. But I don't think they got far enough away from the original storyline that it really bothered me.

Movie was definitely a lot gorier and less campy than I expected. Which is a good thing, I suppose.

Hicks
04-18-2010, 03:39 PM
I think with a lot of creativity and a minimal amount of stretching from reality, you could get one good 90 minute movie out of what we're talking about. You couldn't go all sorts of directions with it, though, for reasons you already stated and the movie addresses.

Of course, I'm not saying it has to be a HS kid, either. It could be more like Big Daddy's story.

btowncolt
04-18-2010, 03:46 PM
I could more see it if it went the BD angle. But the problem you have then is that you're basically talking about a poor Batman.

Is there anything comic books haven't covered yet? Yeesh.

Hicks
04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Well, poor Batman's more realistic than billionaire Batman.

Natston
04-19-2010, 02:24 AM
Lucky # Slevin

Okay movie, better if you play along with the story.

bellisimo
04-19-2010, 04:15 AM
Tooth Fairy - i didn't want to remove my eyes from my sockets...so it was alright

Universal Soldier 3 - Van Damme got old...so did Lundgren - he looked more like a mobster in the movie - nothing special - cheesy music which killed any chance of the movie being any good...

Clash of the Titans - The movie was disappointing like The Scorpion King - I dunno how Sam Worthington managed to get into the leagues of Action movies but he cannot carry the lead role. He is as stiff as a cardboard.

Did you hear about the Morgans? What started off as a chick flick turned a bit better later on...had some good moments.

Bball
04-19-2010, 11:18 AM
"2012"

Can the action get any more over the top than this?

I assume this was supposed to be what a "B" movie would be if it had a large budget and unlimited access to CGI resources. ...If that wasn't the intention that was still certainly the result.

bellisimo
04-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Kick-***

maybe this is something close for you?

http://www.imdb.com/video/wab/vi1416299801/

N8R
04-19-2010, 02:51 PM
I am trying to find that movie now Belli. Looks pretty cool.

Mourning
04-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Watched "(Sherlock) Holmes" this weekend. Meh. Not really my kind of movie.

DGPR
04-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Watched "(Sherlock) Holmes" this weekend. Meh. Not really my kind of movie.

I really liked Sherlock Holmes, it definitely left me smiling and satisfied.

duke dynamite
04-20-2010, 10:14 AM
It definitely left me smiling and satisfied.
*twss*

N8R
04-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Defendor

Didnt know about this movie until Belli posted something about it. it was really good. Very interesting story, cool characters and had a very real feel to it. I would recommend to anyone.

Peck
04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Men who stare at goats

Actually this was pretty good. Not as good as Pentagon Wars but it was good enough.

Suprisingly for the subject matter and who the producer and actors were this film was actually non-political at all, at least it didn't feel that way to me.

If you have some spare room in one of your ques then I would recommend putting it in there.

Mourning
04-24-2010, 03:22 AM
"Shutter Island" I really liked it. Leonardo di Caprio has been sending in good acting performances non-stop since "Blood Diamond", though he had a few very good performances in movies before that one aswell (like "The Basketball Diaries" for example).

bellisimo
04-25-2010, 09:11 AM
finally managed to check out Defendor after posting it here - it was a good movie overall...interesting take and I would also recommend it for movie and super hero lovers alike...

N8R
04-26-2010, 04:49 PM
The Descent: Part 2

Interesting take on the original movie, but the first was horrifying and this one had some of the same aspects but they were the same ones used in the first. The end did leave it open for a Part 3 though.

btowncolt
04-26-2010, 04:50 PM
The Prestige

I'd seen it before but I'm watching movies instead of studying for finals. Solid flick.

bellisimo
04-27-2010, 08:38 AM
Leaves of Grass

nothing memorable

cramerica
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
The Box

Had a lot of promise but then took a completely horrible turn and it went downhill very fast. Pretty confusing movie with alot of holes.

N8R
04-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell

GO!!!!! said that this was funnier than The Hangover. I will never trust his opinion again. It was alright but just lacked something in the quality that made it less watchable. I didnt laugh at any point, like I did with The Hangover.

Suaveness
04-27-2010, 07:43 PM
The Prestige

I'd seen it before but I'm watching movies instead of studying for finals. Solid flick.

Funny...I stare at the sky and moon instead of studying for finals.

I haven't watched any movies lately.

jeffg-body
04-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Just finished watching That Was then, This is Now. A pretty good movie, but a great book.

RWB
04-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Men who stare at goats

If you have some spare room in one of your ques then I would recommend putting it in there.

Funny, funny movie....I dream of the day to use the word debleated.

Stryder
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Anyone ever watch Religulous with Bill Maher?

N8R
04-29-2010, 10:49 PM
I have seen it. I liked it.

http://thepeoplearetryingtosleep.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/religulous-film-poster-from-canada-big.jpg

avoidingtheclowns
04-29-2010, 11:53 PM

Yup a handful.

Religulous ... B+<o></o>
does it change the genre of documentary? hardly. is it fair? not really. does it fall apart in the final five minutes? absolutely. is it funny? you betcha. being agnostic, i tend to agree with his general thesis - so take that for what it's worth. i went to see it with a jewish friend and she enjoyed it as well. i think there probably was a genuine documentary lost somewhere in the hours of footage. mostly maher is going around the world playing the "look at this lunatic" card. reviews seem to be mixed, but it seems that when you start looking at the film not necessarily about religion but a film about bill maher's version of religion it's easier to enjoy.<o></o>

Religulous

Wow did I ever like this movie. Just a great job of showing the craziness that goes into religion and what people believe. It is a documentary in the same vein as a Michael Moore film in that he is pushing his own agenda but I already agree with just about everything he said and it was cool to see it unfold. Best movie I have seen in ages.

(Religulous) is out this week. I saw it yesterday. Wasn't impressed. it takes the most absurd extremes and wackos and tries to make a point.

Religulous: Really, really enjoyed it.

jeffg-body
04-30-2010, 12:02 AM
First Blood- according to my wife everyday this week. It puts me in the doghouse with the wife because I am not supposed to watch combat movies, but I don't care.:rolleyes:

Unclebuck
04-30-2010, 09:11 AM

Yes, didn't like it

N8R
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
The Man From Earth

That was unexpected. First off this movie just looks different. Seems like it was either shot on digital or poor quality film so that was the first thing to get over. The second is that the entire movie took place inside one room our outside the house. No big sets, no effects, just story and acting which is something you don't see much in movies these days. I gotta say it held my attention for almost the entire movie. Not knowing that it was purely story driven was something that I just had to get used to because I wanted to watch the movie because it has an 8.1/10 rating on IMDB.com.

I wouldnt't give it that high but it was a good movie. Basic story is that a man claims he has lived for 14,000 years and he is telling his co-workers and friends on the night that he is leaving town. Of course they don't really believe it and so the story and questions continue. A different story idea, very original.

bellisimo
05-04-2010, 05:40 PM
nobody watched Ironman 2 yet? Im thinking of seeing it this weekend...

Hicks
05-04-2010, 05:42 PM
nobody watched Ironman 2 yet? Im thinking of seeing it this weekend...

Considering that it doesn't come out until Friday, no.

bellisimo
05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Considering that it doesn't come out until Friday, no.

really? it came out last Thursday here in Budapest. Usually summer movies come out a day earlier than US but a week...thats interesting.

Hicks
05-04-2010, 07:15 PM
really? it came out last Thursday here in Budapest. Usually summer movies come out a day earlier than US but a week...thats interesting.

Hmm. I figured Hollywood movies started in the US and then either they simultaneously open it worldwide or then spread across the globe after the premiere here.

Unclebuck
05-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Seems like all the reviews are already out, so it was screened pretty early, which usually means the studio believes the reviews will be pretty good. If a studio doesn't allow critics to watch until the Friday, the day of the wide release that is usually a sign they are expecting bad reviews .

On Rotten Tomatoes is is getting 75% positve which pretty good,.

I am expecting to enjoy the ,ovie, but not as much as the first one, I'm expecting it to be more action, more noise, more special effects, more of the stuff I don't like, but that is the way sequals go. But with Robert Downey Jr. I'm expecting it to be good

N8R
05-06-2010, 03:07 PM
Couple's Retreat

With the cast that this movie has it should have been funnier. There were moments but the main storyline was dule and just overall movie was not very good.

N8R
05-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Cop Out

Funny. There were some GREAT lines in this movie and both Willis and Morgan played their parts very well. I was surprised at how much I actually enjoyed this movie.

N8R
05-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Just Like Heaven

Yeah I know. It was on the hard drive and I am slowly working through all the movies I have yet to watch and this is one of them. It wasn't terrible but it was not good. Just a hokey storyline, lame unbelievable plot and just typical Hollywood sappy love movie.

N8R
05-06-2010, 03:11 PM
Milk

Very interesting story. I didn't know about Harvey Milk before seeing previews for the movie and I like most Sean Penn movies enough to sit though him kissing other dudes. You know what is going to happen with this one so it isnt about the ending but more about how he got there. It was moving. Good not great.

Pig Nash
05-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Just finished Magnolia. I think I liked it but I haven't come to terms with the last half hour yet. It was definitely worth watching and I would like to discuss it more but I'm not sure if I liked it or not.

Hicks
05-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Iron Man 2.

Enjoyable, but also forgettable.

N8R
05-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Iron Man

Gearing up for Iron Man 2 tomorrow. I don't expect much.

kester99
05-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Iron Man

I found it ironic. And manic.

Peck
05-08-2010, 03:13 AM
Iron Man 2: Better than I thought it would be. Some things needed to be improved upon. A few things needed to be less and a few things needed to be more.

More and by more I mean a lot more of Micky Rourke.

Less, I could have done without all of the drones. In fact they really could have done away with Justin Hammer altogether.

DrBadd01
05-08-2010, 05:00 AM
Avatar. Finally buckled and saw it on DVD. . . in a word AWESOME!!!!

Natston
05-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Avatar. Finally buckled and saw it on DVD. . . in a word AWESOME!!!!

I'm ignoring it like I did Avatar... I mean Napoleon Dynamite... I mean... Sideways... Y-Tu Mama Tambien... I really mean... Slumdog Millionaire... Brokeback Mountain...

DrBadd01
05-08-2010, 10:59 AM
I'm ignoring it like I did Avatar... I mean Napoleon Dynamite... I mean... Sideways... Y-Tu Mama Tambien... I really mean... Slumdog Millionaire... Brokeback Mountain...

I have been ignoring Slumdog for a LONG time.

Hicks
05-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Avatar doesn't really belong with the rest of those movies.

Natston
05-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Avatar doesn't really belong with the rest of those movies.

Eh, I was just randomly listing movies that I haven't watched, and won't be seeing any time soon. You're not that great... ;)

N8R
05-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Iron Man 2

Typical sequel, typical everything about it. I wasn't overly impressed or disappointed. I enjoyed it enough for it to be worth the dough.

bellisimo
05-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Iron Man 2

It wasn't boring. It lacked something though...i felt like there was no build up or climax for that matter...but maybe thats just me.

anyone stuck around after the credits to see that small clip? were they giving a preview of whats to come?

was that THOR's Axe?

Hicks
05-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Thor's Hammer. Not axe.

SoupIsGood
05-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Just finished Magnolia. I think I liked it but I haven't come to terms with the last half hour yet. It was definitely worth watching and I would like to discuss it more but I'm not sure if I liked it or not.

I love that movie. Been meaning to rewatch it now for quite some time.

SoupIsGood
05-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Iron Man 2: Better than I thought it would be. Some things needed to be improved upon. A few things needed to be less and a few things needed to be more.

More and by more I mean a lot more of Micky Rourke.

Less, I could have done without all of the drones. In fact they really could have done away with Justin Hammer altogether.

Really? I kind of enjoyed Hammer, but hated almost every second Rourke was on the screen.

But overall I enjoyed it. IMO both movies so far have goofed the ending villian-vs-ironman battle. Both of them were letdowns.

Hicks
05-09-2010, 06:05 PM
The ending didn't feel like an ending to me at all. I kept waiting for something bigger to happen.

Pig Nash
05-09-2010, 11:32 PM
I enjoyed Iron Man 2 and I really liked both of the villains and I'm looking forward to Justin Hammer going forward, I love Sam Rockwell. Also really looking forward to the Avengers movie with JOSS WHEDON at the helm. W00t w00t!

Suaveness
05-12-2010, 12:17 AM
I really enjoyed Iron Man 2. I had no problem with the ending, honestly. I thought the plot flowed really well, and the characters were integrated seamlessly. I thought the villains were much better than the original movie.

N8R
05-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Chloe

I won't like, I mainly wanted to see this movie because Amanda Seyfried shows her boobs in it and those were the only good points. Some alright acting but the storyline was ridiculous, the settings were drab and it just didnt hold my interest. The only thing holding my interest was the hope of more boob.

Los Angeles
05-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Saw Inside Man.

I think it's a crying shame Spike Lee's movies don't get attention like they used to. Between this and 25th Hour, he's making some of the absolute best crime dramas in years.

bellisimo
05-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Saw Inside Man.

I think it's a crying shame Spike Lee's movies don't get attention like they used to. Between this and 25th Hour, he's making some of the absolute best crime dramas in years.

that was a Spike Lee Joint? I don't think i paid attention to that detail...that was a good movie though

Unclebuck
05-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Saw Inside Man.

I really like Inside Man. They were able to take a very worn out plot and make it different and smart.

And the 25th Hour is one of my alltime favorites