PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Shade
06-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Van Wilder

I like Ryan Reynolds, and this is pretty much him in his natural role. A few funny things in there but not on par with the likes of...oh...Waiting, for example.

6.5/10

Shade
06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Disclosure

I pulled an all-nighter last night and I swear this movie felt like it was 4 hours long with 17 logical ending points. Interesting flick, though.

7/10

Pig Nash
06-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I heard S. Darko isn't made by any of the same people and the only creative link is some of the actors. I won't be seeing it.

Shade
06-06-2009, 10:20 AM
I know, but curiosity is still getting the better of me. I'm sure it won't be anywhere on par with the original. Maybe I'll d/l it.

idioteque
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I escaped from Capitol Hill and went out and saw Angels and Demons last night. I like watching movies but will only see most movies once, and yes, this movie fits into that category. However, it kept me entertained throughout and I thought it was a pretty good popcorn movie.

I've never read the book btw.

SycamoreKen
06-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Monsters Inc. with my class on Wednesday. I realized again how origional this movie was. I may have enjoyed it more than they did.

Shade
06-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Sex Drive

If I watch it again while sober, I'm not sure if it'll be better or worse.

Not bad. Some very funny, and some very wrong, stuff.

7/10

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 09:10 AM
Sex Drive

If I watch it again while sober, I'm not sure if it'll be better or worse.

Not bad. Some very funny, and some very wrong, stuff.

7/10
Oh, man. I love that movie!

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 09:12 AM
After years of boycotting it, just because anything too popular must be poisonous...

Gladiator - I now understand why it was a good movie.

Unclebuck
06-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Crossing Over Harrison Ford is in this movie. Seemed to want to be like the movie Crash but not nearly as well done. If you can make it through the first hour the last 45 miniutes is not bad.

bellisimo
06-08-2009, 09:45 AM
After years of boycotting it, just because anything too popular must be poisonous...

Gladiator - I now understand why it was a good movie.

:-o - you can't bocott Gladiator! Twilight...I understand..Titanic, I'd understand...but Gladiator? :D

It is in my top 5 movies...I prefer Braveheart over it though...and in some scenes there were similarities between the two...

bellisimo
06-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Night Train

...it was definitely a budget movie...but wasn't bored with it...

Donnie Brasco

...for some reason i thought i had already watched this movie...but apparently i had not...going into it, I thought Pacino was a tough guy again but was a bit disappointed with his character...in any case...good movie.

Twes
06-08-2009, 11:09 AM
Valkyrie

Shade
06-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Oh, man. I love that movie!

The part about the roll of quarters had me :rotflmao:.

duke dynamite
06-08-2009, 11:34 AM
:-o - you can't bocott Gladiator! Twilight...I understand..Titanic, I'd understand...but Gladiator? :D

It is in my top 5 movies...I prefer Braveheart over it though...and in some scenes there were similarities between the two...

I said it was good...lol.

I just tend to not get into too many things that get a lot of buzz. I make exceptions every now and then.

Coop
06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
The Hangover- Just go watch it. I couldn't stop laughing.

9.5/10

MrSparko
06-08-2009, 10:08 PM
I said it was good...lol.

I just tend to not get into too many things that get a lot of buzz. I make exceptions every now and then.

What a rebel against the mainstream you are.

I saw Drag Me to Hell

It was hilarious.:laugh:

indytoad
06-09-2009, 09:26 PM
Up Wow. Go see this movie. I had heard all about how it was sad (and it is, especially the beginning), but I was surprised by how funny it was. The introduction of "Kevin" had everyone in the theater rolling. I haven't laughed so hard in a movie theater...probably ever. I know there's some out there, but I can't imagine anyone not liking this movie.

I saw it in 3D, and since I didn't have to pay for the ticket I didn't mind, but the 3D effects are very subtle for the most part (although they did a spectacular job making the South American vistas really look vast), so if you have any reservations or are cheap I'd go the 2D route.

Pig Nash
06-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Second on the Hangover, it was awesome.

Since86
06-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Second on the Hangover, it was awesome.

Thirdeded. And

HOLY ****! An Indytoad sighting?

bellisimo
06-11-2009, 07:46 AM

i was about to say the same thing! haven't seen him post for a long time!

Sollozzo
06-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Dirty Harry

indytoad
06-11-2009, 06:36 PM

This is about the place left on the forum that I can post anymore, I keep getting banned, ha ha. I'm just glad there's still someone out there who hasn't put me on ignore yet.

31andonly
06-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Bandits with Bruce Willis and Billy Bob Thornton!

I really loved it and couldn't stop laughing...what a funny movie! Thornton's character is sooo crazy!

bellisimo
06-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Hulk vs. Thor

Another animated flick. Thought the story and animation was a little better than in the Wolverine one. I found it humorous that they blatantly ripped off some of the dialogue of the famous Optimus Prime/Megatron battle from the '86 animated movie. I am one of maybe a handful of people that will notice that.

6.5/10

I'll crush you with my bare hands! ...NEVER!

wow...it was so obvious...guess they think its fine to recycle stuff from the 80s...

MagicRat
06-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Up Wow. Go see this movie. I had heard all about how it was sad (and it is, especially the beginning), but I was surprised by how funny it was. The introduction of "Kevin" had everyone in the theater rolling. I haven't laughed so hard in a movie theater...probably ever. I know there's some out there, but I can't imagine anyone not liking this movie.

I saw it in 3D, and since I didn't have to pay for the ticket I didn't mind, but the 3D effects are very subtle for the most part (although they did a spectacular job making the South American vistas really look vast), so if you have any reservations or are cheap I'd go the 2D route.

Took the family to see it in 3D last week. My wife was crying through several parts of it. I hadn't read any reviews, so I wasn't sure what to expect. There was a lot more action than I had anticipated. The whole family enjoyed it quite a bit.

Watched The Wrestler last night. Thought it was really good.

Dirty Harry

:thumbsup:

Trader Joe
06-12-2009, 11:43 AM
I took two of my sisters to see Up in 3D. Pretty good. Yeah, the beginning is sad. However, I really liked some of the other silly bits of humor in it. It's like America, but in the SOUTH!

Peck
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Frost/Nixon. Very good film. Considering the subject matter & who made it I thought it was increadibly even handed and at the end very entertaining.

Twes
06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm finally watching Gran Torino tonight. The family is out of town. Looking forward to the movie.

DisplacedKnick
06-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm gonna scout what's on Hulu after I re-scan my TV tonight and confirm I now only get 3 channels.

Spicoli
06-12-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm finally watching Gran Torino tonight. The family is out of town. Looking forward to the movie.

Weird. I'm doing the same.

Wait, maybe that's not weird.

I blacked out again.

Twes
06-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Weird. I'm doing the same.

Wait, maybe that's not weird.

I blacked out again.

That's some funny shizzle.

Spicoli
06-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I need a good Eastwood fix. I think GT will do the trick

Shade
06-12-2009, 04:17 PM
I may find out tonight what it's like to watch a 3D movie while drunk. Should be interesting. Or horrifying.

Twes
06-12-2009, 04:19 PM
I need a good Eastwood fix. I think GT will do the trick

We're going to miss him one day

Sollozzo
06-13-2009, 05:49 PM
:thumbsup:

You're a Dirty Harry fan? I never would've guessed.

:)

ilive4sports
06-14-2009, 01:18 AM
Just saw Gran Torino and loved it. Clint Eastwood is the definition of bad *** in my book.

N8R
06-14-2009, 02:01 AM
Terminator: Salvation

Too much hype that it did not meet. 6/10

N8R
06-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Star Trek

Great great movie. Not being a Trekkie or big into the TV show i must say i will watch every one of the movies in this style that comes out. I watched some of the other ones and enjoyed them too.

9/10

Suaveness
06-14-2009, 03:42 AM
Good Will Hunting

duke dynamite
06-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Batman (1989) 20th Anniversary Blu-Ray edition.

Man, that movie only gets better over time.

bellisimo
06-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Terminator: Salvation

what needed salvation was the script...too many over used lines...and they kind of killed the whole storyline with the trailer and the beginning of the movie...would've been a lot better if we learned things as the movie progressed...instead of knowing from the get-go...

Spicoli
06-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Let's see, this weekend was a movie-a-thon. Most of these were viewed entirely as a result of the combination of insomnia and having too many movie channels.

Gran Torino
Taken
Valkyrie
Role Models
The Wrestler
Sleepy Hollow
X-Men
Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanomo Bay
The Hammer
The Incredible Hulk (Ed Norton version)

Stryder
06-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Punisher: Warzone.

Loved it. Brutality in a nonsense, overthetop world.

Hicks
06-14-2009, 05:32 PM
The Dark Knight

count55
06-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Just saw Gran Torino and loved it.

Yes, it was very good. The ending was weak, but nobody knows how to end movies any more, and the story was going to make it difficult to have a creative/satisfying ending in any case.

Clint Eastwood is the definition of bad *** in my book.

Meh...never been a fan.

Natston
06-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Yes, it was very good. The ending was weak, but nobody knows how to end movies any more, and the story was going to make it difficult to have a creative/satisfying ending in any case.

Meh...never been a fan.

You better hope he fired six shots...

count55
06-14-2009, 09:20 PM
You better hope he fired six shots...

Meh...what, exactly, is he compensating for with that gun?

Natston
06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Meh...what, exactly, is he compensating for with that gun?

More than likely, a small penis but I'm just saying...

rexnom
06-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Valkyrie
Ok, pretty much what I was expecting. Not too exciting. Cruise was good, though.

Dreamgirls
Eh. I didn't really get the point of the plot. What was it trying to do? Jennifer Hudson was great, however. As a big motown fan, I was disappointed.

Dr. Strangelove
Just fantastic. The entire ending is absolutely epic.
yvaB6-Zi_-A

Sphere
Holds up surprisingly well. Some plot holes/inconsistencies but generally good.

Pineapple Express
Didn't like it all. The least funny Apatow movie I've ever seen. Then again, I wasn't stoned so maybe that was the problem.

ilive4sports
06-15-2009, 12:01 AM
I wasnt stoned for Pineapple Express either but I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

Spicoli, what did you think of The Hammer? My brother and I really like Adam Carolla so we saw and it thought it was hilarious.

Pig Nash
06-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Also, Pineapple Express wasn't directed by Apatow, he just helped produce.

rexnom
06-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Also, Pineapple Express wasn't directed by Apatow, he just helped produce.
I mean he only directed Knocked Up and 40 Year Old virgin. But he wrote/produced a bunch of other movies, including Pineapple Express. So I consider them all "Apatow movies."

Gyron
06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
For those of ou that don't mind a really good chic flick....(in subtitles to boot)

See if you can find:

More than blue(Korean movie with english subtitles) Just released this year. Watched on the plane back from Seoul when I was captiveon a plane for 11 hours and there was nothing else to watch.....

rexnom
06-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Rachel Getting Married
I loved it. I thought the direction was spectacular and that Anne Hathaway blew away Kate Winslet. But what do I know. I liked Mickey Rourke and Darren Aronofsky.

avoidingtheclowns
06-17-2009, 12:58 AM
The Brothers Bloom ... B

I saw this a few weeks ago, but I haven't really had time to post lately. I really enjoyed most of it. Unlike Rian Johnson's first writing / directing job with the fantastic neonoir Brick, this one has a definite Wes Anderson feel to it. As much as it's about 'the con' it's also about storytelling. I did have three problems with it.

1) CASTING: The very first thing that came to mind as soon as Brody and Ruffalo appeared on screen was that they were totally miscast. The first is a small point, or a tall one I guess - but the height difference was a bit distracting. But more than that, I just didn't buy Brody as the wide-eyed younger brother. Swapping roles would have made a significantly more believable product.

2) ENDING: The first 30 minutes were excellent, the middle chunk of the film was pretty good, but the final 30 minutes really dragged. Without getting into any specifics, I'm conflicted about the ending. I have way more thoughts about this I could shove into spoiler tags, but I hope someone else checks this film out and discusses.

3) UNEXPLAINED: These complaints won't make sense unless you've seen it, but I never really figured out why Brody and Ruffalo felt the way they did about Diamond Dog (I have one thought from the bar scene) and it was never explained how Penelope escaped the police.

Abel Raises Cain ... B

I stumbled upon this documentary browsing Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/abel-raises-cain) in Memphis' airport during a 5+hr cancelled flight delay. Jenny Abel takes a look at her father Alan Abel - America's greatest media hoaxer (a career launched by caused by fornicating animals and the resulting traffic jam). For fifty-ish years, Abel has been behind SINA - an organization dedicated to clothing animals ("A nude horse is a rude horse"), a school dedicated to teaching proper panhandling (Omar's School for Beggars), a fake company specializing in euthanasia cruises... no matter how absurd, Abel always seemed to get the media to bite and fall for his hoaxes (or what he calls "allegorical satire"). Technically speaking, it wasn't an amazing documentary (a big missing component is an explanation as to how in the world any of these ultra-elaborate hoaxes were paid for?) but it certainly was fascinating and quite funny.

Suaveness
06-17-2009, 02:24 AM
The Departed

duke dynamite
06-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Ghostbusters 2. Still my all-time favorite movie.

SycamoreKen
06-17-2009, 05:27 PM
We went and saw The Hangover today. it was actually my wife's idea. Crude, Rude, and funny as all get out. I have not laughed so hard in a long time.

"His name is Carlos."

Hicks
06-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I was so turned off by the "teacher" and his behavior during his introduction that I think it served as a major buzzkill. The movie was pretty flat for me. (Not just because of that.)

Trader Joe
06-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I was so turned off by the "teacher" and his behavior during his introduction that I think it served as a major buzzkill. The movie was pretty flat for me. (Not just because of that.)

This is interesting because I have a friend who is studying to be dentist and also hated the movie. Granted this friend is a girl, but I think part of her dislike was the way they ripped on dentists.

Personally, I thought it was frickin' hilarious. Galifinakis was funny every time he said something pretty much.

My one major beef, they never addressed the reaction the father had to seeing his Benz. I know this isn't a movie I should be nitpicking about the plot, but they made such a build up to how much he loved the car, but never really went there. Maybe they thought having him saying it's Vegas was enough to get rid of that, but I don't know...

SycamoreKen
06-17-2009, 10:40 PM

I laughed at that because I have known teachers like that and, I hate to say it, have been there a couple times myself. Teachers party harder than most people realize.

I agree. That seemed to have just disappeared. My wife pointed out later that a part of the doctor scene that was in the previews was left out. I guess he says "That will grown into that?" in reference to the baby and the guy carrying him,

jeffg-body
06-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I was watching aliens this evening and had a damage control moment when my daughter who I thought was asleep walked in and freaked out a bit.:eek:

Hicks
06-17-2009, 11:47 PM
I was watching aliens this evening and had a damage control moment when my daughter who I thought was asleep walked in and freaked out a bit.:eek:

My daddy always told me there were no monsters, no real ones, but there are.....

pianoman
06-18-2009, 01:12 AM
just saw up. absolutely pixar's finest work. great storyline. I'd give it a 9.5/10

Suaveness
06-18-2009, 03:21 AM
Pirates of the Caribbean 3

DisplacedKnick
06-18-2009, 08:14 AM
I rented Passengers last night.

Wish I hadn't.

Trader Joe
06-18-2009, 08:43 AM
I laughed at that because I have known teachers like that and, I hate to say it, have been there a couple times myself. Teachers party harder than most people realize.

I agree. That seemed to have just disappeared. My wife pointed out later that a part of the doctor scene that was in the previews was left out. I guess he says "That will grown into that?" in reference to the baby and the guy carrying him,

Some of my best teacher's have ended up being the ones that didn't really want to be teaching, if that makes sense.

Unclebuck
06-22-2009, 09:10 AM
The Visitor This is the type of movie I usually like, but this was a little too slow, a little too restrained for me.

The Proposal No this wasn't any good.

Shade
06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
My Bloody Valentine 3D

Sooooo bad.

4/10

Shade
06-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Standard Bay fare, just like the first flick. Lots of special effects, lots of explosions, and lots of immature humor. I liked this one slightly more simply for the battle sequences, most notably those involving Prime.

The robot designs are still horrendous and it's still hard to tell what's going on at times during battles because of those terrible designs.

Nice to see the Matrix of Leadership make an appearance. Too bad that Devastator and Jetfire sucked balls.

And the part with the dogs was completely unnecessary.

Fun flick for casual fans. Horrible adaptation for old-school Transfans.

8/10

Unclebuck
06-24-2009, 08:06 AM
The reviews for Transformers are horrible. For many that I read it isn't just that the reviewers didn't like the movei, they actively hated it. Really, I would rather sit through 2.5 hours of root canal than watch Transformers 2. I still have nightmares from the first half of the first Transformers that I saw and I blame every other of my problems on having watched Armageddon. Really I think what Bay has done to the summer blockbuster movie is criminal.

This is my favorite review.

http://www.efilmcritic.com/review.php?movie=18124&reviewer=389
by Peter Sobczynski

And yet, despite having lowered the artistic bar to Death Valley levels, director Michael Bay has somehow managed to figure out a way to slither beneath with the flexibility of the pole dancers-in-training that he prefers to hire as his female extras. This isn’t just the worst of the summer mega-movies--this utterly incoherent craptacular is one of the worst things of any type to come along in a while. In fact, I almost feel as if I should go back to my reviews of such other summer misfires as “Wolverine,” “Terminator Resurrection” and “Year One” and give them an extra star apiece on the theory that while they are all dreadful measure, they are at least run-of-the-mill bad and not the kind of apocalyptically awful garbage seen here.

Unfortunately, this film is far worse than your typical stab at four-quadrant foolishness--this represents one of the most complete abdications of artistic principle that I can recall in all of my years of moviegoing. Simply put, not only does nothing work right here, everything is so bad in so many different ways that you get the sense that all involved privately decided make one of the most nightmarishly awful movies ever produced on purpose as some kind of sick private joke. The screenplay by Ehren Kruger and Robert Orci & Alex Kurtzman is an atrocity for the ages--it doesn’t make a lick of sense at any given point, even on an individual scene-by-scene basis, the story goes absolutely nowhere and there isn’t a single line of dialogue heard (not that you can hear many of them over the explosions that dominate the soundtrack) that you would ever want to quote to someone unless it was out of pure derision for what passes for screenwriting these days. (In that regard, the high/low point would probably have to be the moment when an Autobot taunts its enemy with the semi-immortal “Punk-*** Decepticon.” Even more bewildering is the borderline racist tone that is on display throughout--besides the aforementioned jive-talking Autobots, virtually everyone in the film who isn’t a true-blooded American type is portrayed in a stereotypical manner that makes “Mandingo” look like a lesson in cultural sensitivity by comparison.

The acting from all involved is on a level not seen since the days of Irwin Allen--everyone just screams their dialogue in the laziest manner possible and then ducks from whatever is currently being tossed at them. Even John Turturro, who was the most entertaining aspect of the first film simply because he alone seemed to realize the ridiculousness of his surroundings and responded in kind with a deliberately hammy turn--this time around, he just looks mortified to be there, never more so than in the moment in which he is inexplicably forced to reveal that he is wearing a jockstrap. The only performer worth watching is Megan Fox and that is only when she is standing around while the other actors are talking around her--the sight of her patiently awaiting her cue while trying to look anything other than bored beyond belief is borderline hilarious. Then again, you can hardly blame the actors for not really trying since they have been given some of the least developed characters outside of the porn industry or an Uwe Boll film to portray. Yes, all of the actors surely cashed big paychecks this time around and while that is as pure as a motive for doing something as anything, the results here are so bad that everyone involved should be ashamed of themselves.

For starters, the fight scenes are as bad as they come--between the fact that all the robots pretty much blend together after a while and that the brawls have all be captured via spinning cameras and rapid-fire editing, it is virtually impossible to figure out who is fighting who and who is winning at any given time. Then there is the fact that while the army of technicians have been able to create imaging programs that allow the robots to transform in an instant, they have failed to depict them in even the most slightly convincing manner--since these lumbering contraptions have no real sense of mass or weight to them, it is impossible to buy into their reality for a second. As for Michael Bay, who once displayed a keen visual eye in such genuinely enjoyable films as “The Rock” and “Armageddon” (both of which I will admit to liking), his skills have atrophied to such a point that not only is there not a single interesting image to be found in any of its 150 minutes, his inability to depict even the slightest amount of competent spatial geography that would allow us to get a sense of where everyone is in regards to everyone else during the big battles is so glaring that if he turned this in as a class project in a community college film course, it would get a failing grade. (If you want an example of the importance of proper spatial geography within the context of an action movie, I urge you to wait a couple of weeks and check out Kathryn’s Bigelow’s stunning “The Hurt Locker”--that film writes the book on the subject while this one never even bothers to crack it open

“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” is such an assault on the senses that the experience of watching is not unlike being in “The Accused”--the audience members are the brutalized victims while the film serves as both the savage attackers and the relentlessly pounding pinball machine. In fact, the best thing that I can possibly say about it is that it isn’t the single worst film that Bay has made to date and that only because, unlike the odious “Bad Boys II,” this film doesn’t have an extended car chase scene in which the corpses of dead hookers begin spilling out of the back of a morgue truck in order to serve as speed bumps. Then again, there is always the inevitable extended DVD to look forward to, I guess.

bellisimo
06-24-2009, 09:05 AM
it is interesting to see how the critics' reviews for Transformers has been brutal while regular movie goers seem to have liked it *A- in yahoo user reviews*...have to wait till Saturday to see it...

Suaveness
06-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Yikes, that is a harsh review...

Unclebuck
06-24-2009, 10:01 AM
I know some of you might argue, who cares what the critics say - and that is fine, if you want to see a movie, you shouldn't let a critic talk you out of going to see it. But also, some of you might suggest something like, "critics never like the big summer blockbuster movies". But that isn't true, they loved Dark Knight , Star Trek and Iron Man .

I think critics do a pretty good job analyzing the big blockbuster movies - where you have to be careful is when they give a great review to "smaller" movies that they often like just because they are different or unusual. If you don't like offbeat character study type movies then don't go see those even though a critic gives it 5 stars. But I think if you like the summer blockbusters then I think it is worthwhile to see what movie critics think of the movie

rexnom
06-24-2009, 11:59 AM
I absolutely hated the first transformers. I literally just wanted the movie to end the whole time. At least Wolverine held my attention for a solid 2 hours.

Trader Joe
06-24-2009, 12:03 PM
I saw the Transformers preview. I saw Megan Fox sitting on that motorcycle. That could be the entire movie and I would still pay 10 dollars to go see it on the big screen.

count55
06-24-2009, 12:19 PM
I saw the Transformers preview. I saw Megan Fox sitting on that motorcycle. That could be the entire movie and I would still pay 10 dollars to go see it on the big screen.

Yeah...the walkaway's pretty good, too.

Stryder
06-24-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't get what the fanboys and the critics hate...

IT IS A MOVIE ABOUT GIANT F'ING ROBOTS WHO CHANGE INTO VEHICLES AND OTHER ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT FASTER THAN I CAN TYPE THIS AND THEY ARE FIGHTING EACH OTHER.

Anyone who has ever watched the animated versions (any version), knows it is ridiculous. The whole plotline and story is preposterous and over the top.

But, I still love it.

Unclebuck
06-25-2009, 08:06 AM
IT IS A MOVIE ABOUT GIANT F'ING ROBOTS WHO CHANGE INTO VEHICLES AND OTHER ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT FASTER THAN I CAN TYPE THIS AND THEY ARE FIGHTING EACH OTHER.

My only point is you can do a movie with all of that - and still make it a good movie IMO. I didn't expect Star Trek, Dark Knight, or Ironman to be realistic. But I expected them to be good movies - with some decent acting, some decent writing, some good action - and they all were - I have just never found any of Michael Bay's movies to have any of those things in them

rexnom
06-25-2009, 11:19 AM
My only point is you can do a movie with all of that - and still make it a good movie IMO. I didn't expect Star Trek, Dark Knight, or Ironman to be realistic. But I expected them to be good movies - with some decent acting, some decent writing, some good action - and they all were - I have just never found any of Michael Bay's movies to have any of those things in them
I'll take it one step further - the success of transformers and Michael Bay assures of future crap like this getting greenlit without any kind of real script, acting or directing. It sets back the entire movie industry - right as we're slowly starting to establish that the best way to ensure box office success is a good script along with a big budget (i.e. UB's examples).

Shade
06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't get what the fanboys and the critics hate...

Anyone who has ever watched the animated versions (any version), knows it is ridiculous. The whole plotline and story is preposterous and over the top.

But, I still love it.

There are too many unnecessary deviations from the source material.

Shade
06-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I'll take it one step further - the success of transformers and Michael Bay assures of future crap like this getting greenlit without any kind of real script, acting or directing. It sets back the entire movie industry - right as we're slowly starting to establish that the best way to ensure box office success is a good script along with a big budget (i.e. UB's examples).

Last I heard, Bay was said to have renounced any attachment to a third film. :pray:

bellisimo
06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Last I heard, Bay was said to have renounced any attachment to a third film. :pray:

according to his own website - its just bad rumor...he just wants a bit of vacation before getting back into it again.

its horrible though to see that he says screw the franchise, there is nothing that i like about it and i'm going to create it from scratch.

then he goes on to say that the movie is not for critics but for the fans...how is it going to be for the fans when he doesn't care what the fans think anyway? the dude acts like a total douche...

Shade
06-25-2009, 12:06 PM
That just made me die a little inside. :cry:

The movie is for the casual action movie fan, not the TF fans.

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

I liked it. But I am not a Transformers fan. I dont really remember the cartoons or any of the toys, just these movies. They are hokey, and poorly acted for the most part, and over the top and unbelieveable but that is mostly what I like about them. If movies stuck to the laws of the real world, I dont think i would like to watch movies as much as I do. I thought Shia LeBeouf was really good. I am a big fan of his work. I liked when he screamed like a girl. This movie had me laughing in the theatre which is more than some comedy movies can get from me. 7/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:21 AM
He's Just Not That Into You

Yeah Yeah Yeah I know it is a total chick flick. I only watched it cause it was one of the few new movies I hadn't seen that was available on the flight from Auckland to Sydney. I actually didn't mind it. It was nothing new or great, but for a movie it held my attention and the acting was alright. It was mostly predictable but most movies are.

6/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:26 AM
The Secret Life Of Bees

I didnt really know too much about this movie when I went to watch it. I knew Dakota Fanning was in it and i wanted to see her act. I like seeing if child actors can keep what made them famous. She was great in this role and this movie was actually really good. I think I went in with little knowledge of the plot and that helped. It was a slightly darker role for her but I really enjoyed this movie. One of the better ones I have seen in the last 50 I have watched. 8/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Push

I remember when this movie was coming out in theatres and wanting to see it real badly but just not getting the chance. Once I saw it on the computer I remembered that I wanted to see it. I like movies where someone has super powers or mulitple people do. This movie was not very good however. I dont like the main actor. Dakota Fanning was actually in this one too which I didnt know. Not very well acted. Too tweenie boppish for my liking. The powers werent really explained and the plot was rather predicatable and stupid. 5/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:30 AM
Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Had it's moments but he can't hold a movie to himself. He is better for TV or a supporting role. 4.5/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:33 AM
The Hangover

I havent seen such a funny movie in a long time. It held my attention for the entire movie and some of the lines were just instant classics. If you like this brand of humour and havent seen this yet, See it.

8.5/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Oldboy

This is an asian film. I heard it was good so I watched it. It was well done and well acted but I kind of got a hint of the ending a little way through but it is a different one. I liked it overall but I think I was expecting it to be better. There were some great fight scenes in it. If you are looking for a movie you may not have seen yet, take a look at this one.

7.5/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Hero

Wanted to see this when it was released a number of years ago but I just forgot about it. I thought it was going to be better. There were some cool fight scenes and cool effects but it just seemed like a bunch of movies instead of just one. A little to all over the place for my liking.

7.5/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Braindead

Wow what a crazy movie. It got me into the Zombie genre again. It is a film done by Peter Jackson that is a New Zealand film. It starts off very very slowly and drags out but my goodness is the ending ever gory. It might be the gorriest zombie film I have ever seen. If you are a zombie movie fan or gory movie fan and havent seen this I highly recommend it.

8/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Feast 1-3

I started with number 3 which was a bad move cause I didnt know what was going on but there was an alien anal rape scene and some tits in the movie so I figured I would go back to the first and watch them through. They are totally stupid and ridiculous but hey they held my attention. It never explains where the creates come from or why they are on earth but there is enough gore for anyone to enjoy.

5.5-6/10 for the 3 of them.

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Last of the Living

Another New Zealand film that I watched cause I was in NZ. It is about 3 guys who are some of the last people who arent infected with a disease that turns you into a zombie like creature. They are lazy and just trying to live until they wander too far one day. I liked it a good amount. Good enough for a once over in the zombie genre.

7/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

I guess this is supposed to be the prequal to the other movies. It is too bad I didnt see the other ones. This was nothing special, a little predicatable and some of the effects were not very good. I think if I saw the others I might like this one more.

5.5/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 09:57 AM
The Hurt Locker

I like the main actor in this one. There were some great war scenes and the plot was pretty good. The story seemed very believeable and I was entrenched in the story line for the entire film.

8/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 10:00 AM
American Beauty

I rewatched it at one of the hostels along my travels. Still such a great movie. I always wish it was longer. I also like seeing tits in a movie so there is that.

8.5/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Reservoir Dogs

I guess it is surprising that I hadnt seen this movie before to some people but some movies just have to wait. The build up was too much for me cause I did not really like this movie. It was too slow. I thought there would be more action but it seemed like there was just too much talking.

4/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Platoon

I didn't get it.

5/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Notorious

I had lowish expectations and I ended up liking this movie a lot. Of course we know what is going to happen at the end but it was a cool way of getting there. I didnt know much about B.I.G. cause I listened to Tupac more but the story of his life was pretty cool. Nothing life changing.

7/10

N8R
06-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Unforgiven

Man Clint Eastwood has made some great movies. This is started slow and I was only really watching it cause it was on in a hostel and I hadnt seen it and there wasnt much else to do that night. It was all worth it to see Clint turn into a mean mother*****er. The end is well worth the entire movie.

7.5/10

bellisimo
06-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Last Chance Harvey

-meh..didn't care about any characters.

Push

-meh...the plot was a bit weak...so was the acting...and the script

DisplacedKnick
06-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Platoon

I didn't get it.

5/10

Really? I can see that for Apocalypse Now (though you had to like Duvall's character) but IMO Platoon's pretty solid.

N8R
06-30-2009, 12:52 AM
See I just didn't see the point in the movie. I liked Appocalypse now but I havent seen it in years. Platoon just didnt do it for me.

N8R
06-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Yes Man

I really liked it. I have seen it twice now. There are some really funny parts and I just enjoyed the story line, probably because I wish i was more of a Yes Man in the sense of the movie. A very good watch.

7.5/10

bellisimo
06-30-2009, 04:17 AM
Knowing

Knowing it was going to be a crappy ending i still gave it a try...and have seen it for myself that this movie is not really something that anyone else should waste time with...

jeffg-body
07-03-2009, 01:26 AM
JUst got finished watching the wedding crashers. Great movie with some of the goofiest things in it. My favorite parts were the whole under the table deal and the getting shot in the arse.

duke dynamite
07-03-2009, 02:35 AM
JUst got finished watching the wedding crashers. Great movie with some of the goofiest things in it. My favorite parts were the whole under the table deal and the getting shot in the arse.
"Let's play tummy sticks."

Suaveness
07-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Wall-E
Ratatouille

Two of my favorite movies

duke dynamite
07-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Wall-E
Ratatouille

Two of my favorite movies
Excellent choices.

Erik
07-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Snatch- This movie never gets old. Classic.

Hicks
07-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Public Enemies

Didn't really feel much one way or the other after walking out of this one. It was okay.

PacersRule
07-04-2009, 11:59 PM
Transformers. It. Was. Awesome.!!!!!!!!

quinnthology
07-05-2009, 05:10 AM
Waltz with Bashir

def worth seeing

bellisimo
07-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Watchmen
first 5 minutes was crazy good...which built up hope that it would be action packed...but overall it lacked a punch...

What doesn't kill you
another movie which disappointed me cause i was thinking it would be an action movie going in...turned out it was drama...it was good...but wouldn't watch it twice.

Trader Joe
07-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Public Enemies

Didn't really feel much one way or the other after walking out of this one. It was okay.

If it was 20 minutes shorter it would have been 20x better. Good lead performances from Depp and Bale, but overall the movie moved very slowly.

Hicks
07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
The more I've thought about it since seeing it Saturday, it was a very well done movie, and well-acted, but it just didn't grab me like I was hoping it would.

Shade
07-06-2009, 12:18 PM
The Mangler

Still as bad as it ever was. Only worth seeing for the gore and Robert Englund (and to make fun of, of course).

3/10

Shade
07-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Step Brothers

Not bad. Some funny parts but I felt like I wanted more.

6.5/10

Shade
07-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Nail Gun Massacre

Still the worst movie I've ever seen in my life.

0.5/10

AesopRockOn
07-09-2009, 05:49 AM
The Hurt Locker - Pretty great acting and DP work. The direction sets the tone really nicely. Kind of didn't figure out what it wanted to say/be totally (i.e. not a totally coherent script) but the execution was superb as was the lack of politics. I think it's going into wide release soon.

bellisimo
07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Gran Torino
Clint's still got it.

Crank: High Voltage
the first one was alright...this one was pure...bleh

The Escapist
didn't really care about anyone of the characters...

Unclebuck
07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
I almost forgot, I watched the Knowing last night. Except for a good subway scene - I thought the movie was almost horrible, almost terrible, but most of all it was just boring. I was rooting against Nick Cage - when did he become so annoying. There were a couple of times when I was watching when it seemed like a M. Night Shyamalanish movie - but it wasn't nearly as good as any of those.

DisplacedKnick
07-09-2009, 02:53 PM
I almost forgot, I watched the Knowing last night. Except for a good subway scene - I thought the movie was almost horrible, almost terrible, but most of all it was just boring. I was rooting against Nick Cage - when did he become so annoying. There were a couple of times when I was watching when it seemed like a M. Night Shyamalanish movie - but it wasn't nearly as good as any of those.

That would be right about here:

e6i2WRreARo

Trader Joe
07-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Whatever, Wicker Man is the best comedic performance of all time.

RWB
07-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Step Brothers

Not bad. Some funny parts but I felt like I wanted more.

6.5/10

You'll never want to play the drums again, will you?

Suaveness
07-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Bruno- really damn funny, though I thought Borat was better

jeffg-body
07-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Just got done watching Jarhead for the first time. :cool:

SoupIsGood
07-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Magnolia.

Holy ****. Perfect movie.

count55
07-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Magnolia.

Holy ****. Perfect movie.

First time I watched it, I had decided that I was going to really, really like it, though I could understand why other people wouldn't, but I just was really liking it, until...

the ****ing frogs fell from the sky.

After that, it became a story I would tell over beers.

Finally, a couple of years ago, I asked for it for Christmas, because I figured it was time to give it another shot. This time, I still liked everything about it that I liked before, but...

the ****ing frogs weren't so jarring, and they didn't seem like a cheat, any more.

So, yeah, it's a really good movie...great characters. Their lives were largely miserable, but I could actually connect and empathize with them, as opposed to "Leaving Las Vegas"...where I just wanted the two main characters to die as quickly as possible.

duke dynamite
07-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Bruno.

Sick, twisted, sexist, demented, racist and any other adjective I can use to describe how horrible this movie was...

...but boy was it amazing.

I really wish Sacha Baron Cohen would've used the original Bruno from Da Ali G Show. I understand he had to make the character up a little bit from the big screen, but it really opened up too many differences from the show.

Unclebuck
07-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Finally saw the Hangover

That is a really, really, really good movie. Two of the biggest compliments I can ever give a movie: 1) I never looked at my watch or thought about what we were doing after the movie - it kept my attention the entire time 2) And I was disappointed when it was over, because I wanted to see more - which is higly unusual for me

Sure it was extremely funny - no doubt about it. It had two or three different types of humor - which is extremely rare for a movie. But they way they set up the plot - it was ingenious because it kept you wondering what was coming next and you really cared what happened next.

Overall, I cannot remember a comedy I ENJOYED MORE EVER. Most comedies are annoying as recently as it seems like the characters just yell lot.

sweabs
07-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Choke

I have not read this book. In fact, the only Palahniuk stuff I've got into thus far is reading and watching Fight Club.

I can't say that I enjoyed this movie as much as Fight Club, nor did the story and underlying themes/messages interest me as much...but I still enjoyed the film. I thought it was funny in a very sarcastic or cynical way and thought the acting was pretty good.

Pig Nash
07-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Hey another Sam Rockwell movie!

I just saw Moon.

It's very good and I can't talk about it almost at all without spoiling most of it. It's the thinking man's science fiction high point of the year with Star Trek winning the space opera part of the equation.

jeffg-body
07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Just got done watching Jackass 2.0. Some was funny, but it definitely childish and these guys are a glutton for punishment. The thing that kind of turns me off to the movie was the whole sticking things in their bums for the part of the joke. A little gay if you ask me.:cool:

avoidingtheclowns
07-13-2009, 12:46 AM
The Hangover ... A-
I really enjoyed this - much more than I thought I would. Some parts like the Mr. Chow/Ken Jeong part or the Rob Riggle taser section are pretty broad and go on way too long. But outside of those two things I have little to complain about. The best things about the movie is how the story and the comedy are not fighting each other. In a lot of comedies, you’ll have a good to great first two acts of a movie, where most of the comedy is. Then you reach the third act and suddenly the director / screenwriter feels compelled to break from the comedy and tie up the story. The movie is unbalanced and falls apart. Not the case here -- The Hangover is well (enough) written to work as both a story and a comedy.

Bruno ... B
My guess is that how you felt about Borat will mostly determine how you feel about Bruno. While Bruno was funny, it just didn't measure up to Cohen's first film. I think part of it involves the diminishing returns -- experiencing an almost identical plot: eccentric and outrageous foreign tv personality travels abroad to experience America. This time Cohen plays an Austrian fashionista and sets his focus on homophobia and celebrity culture. I think my biggest complaint is that Bruno feels significantly more staged than Borat. That's not to say that there aren't some disturbingly hilarious moments (like several stage parents attempting to cast their children as one example) but on the whole this film felt less organic and less observational. You do have to admire Cohen for pushing the envelope and throwing some danger back into comedy - he doesn't just poke the bear he takes a pair of designer gloves and slaps the bear in the face. These films are also impressive from a technical standpoint considering the situations he throws himself into and the fact that he'll only - at best - have one take to make it work (I don't think Ron Paul would be up for a day of re-shoots).

Food, Inc. ... B+
I'm not sure how much this documentary covers that isn't already preached by foodinistas, but the visuals that accompany the information are fairly powerful. Essentially what the documentary asks is "why don't we care and why aren't we allowed to ask where our food comes from?" The scope of the film is impressive, it looks at factory-farm production of genetic and dietary alterations to chickens and cows, corn subsidizing, Monsanto's patent on a soybean gene and their ability to corner America's soybean production, veggie libel laws... As with these types of documentaries, more problems are identified than solutions offered. But as far as a straight up documentary is concerned, it was fairly good.

Public Enemies ... B-
I liked this but didn’t love it. Mann certainly knows how to make a gangster picture, I’ll say that. Depp did a fantastic job. Bale did a solid job but unfortunately he had very little to work with. I do have one MAJOR complaint about the film and it’s a camera issue. It doesn’t bother me that he’s using HD, although considering it’s a historical film I suppose that could be an issue. It’s the 10% of the time that Mann opts for hand-held ‘shaky cam’ shots. I really don’t know what he's trying to accomplish but the result is insanely irritating and just looks sloppy or unfinished.

sweabs
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM
he doesn't just poke the bear he takes a pair of designer gloves and slaps the bear in the face.

Very nice. I'd thank you...but yeah.

SoupIsGood
07-13-2009, 12:10 PM
First time I watched it, I had decided that I was going to really, really like it, though I could understand why other people wouldn't, but I just was really liking it, until...

the ****ing frogs fell from the sky.

After that, it became a story I would tell over beers.

Finally, a couple of years ago, I asked for it for Christmas, because I figured it was time to give it another shot. This time, I still liked everything about it that I liked before, but...

the ****ing frogs weren't so jarring, and they didn't seem like a cheat, any more.

So, yeah, it's a really good movie...great characters. Their lives were largely miserable, but I could actually connect and empathize with them, as opposed to "Leaving Las Vegas"...where I just wanted the two main characters to die as quickly as possible.

I agree that it's jarring, however for me it took the movie from "Okay this a pretty great movie so far" to "Oh my ****ING LORD, best movie I'll ever see" status. And I'll admit that this is mainly because of my own personal predilections: if you ever read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (not saying you should—my favorite book, but many people hate it for mostly good reasons), it combines the intricate superrealistic etching of characters' misery with random oddball screwy surrealism/comedy, which for whatever reason resonates like hell w/ me. I never thought I'd get that same weird feeling from a film (or really any other piece of art—IJ is pretty damned idiosyncratic).

Twes
07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Hancock

duke dynamite
07-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Bruno ... B
My guess is that how you felt about Borat will mostly determine how you feel about Bruno. While Bruno was funny, it just didn't measure up to Cohen's first film. I think part of it involves the diminishing returns -- experiencing an almost identical plot: eccentric and outrageous foreign tv personality travels abroad to experience America. This time Cohen plays an Austrian fashionista and sets his focus on homophobia and celebrity culture. I think my biggest complaint is that Bruno feels significantly more staged than Borat. That's not to say that there aren't some disturbingly hilarious moments (like several stage parents attempting to cast their children as one example) but on the whole this film felt less organic and less observational. You do have to admire Cohen for pushing the envelope and throwing some danger back into comedy - he doesn't just poke the bear he takes a pair of designer gloves and slaps the bear in the face. These films are also impressive from a technical standpoint considering the situations he throws himself into and the fact that he'll only - at best - have one take to make it work (I don't think Ron Paul would be up for a day of re-shoots).

Remember, Borat wasn't Cohen's first major film about one of his characters.

Doddage
07-13-2009, 08:03 PM
Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Very solid movie. I found myself very engrossed in it since I anticipated how the character development was going to unfold.

SycamoreKen
07-14-2009, 09:58 AM
Ice Age 3

It was like the other 2 just a new setting so to speak. It was amusing.

Suaveness
07-15-2009, 03:08 AM
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- Hell freaking yes. Easily the best movie of the series. Great mix of hilarity and intense action. I went in having read the book a hundred times, and there were times that had me jumping. The end of the movie is terrific.

Pig Nash
11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Watched In Bruges again lately. Colin Farrell can act when he wants.

Unclebuck
11-16-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm so glad that we have at least most of this thread.

I watched Star Trek again this time in Blu-ray and it is a really good movie.

GO!!!!!
11-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Spread...

not bad, long but funny movie, kind of glad where it ended up... gives all us hard workers some reward for working 9-5... mind you, can't help but envy the lifestyle if you can get away with it...

Law Abiding Citizen...

Good Movie... kind of fair reaching at some points, dude sure had a grudge but worth watching for the action, twists turns...

MagicRat
11-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Eating Out 2: Sloppy Seconds

It was groundbreaking.

avoidingtheclowns
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
Up In the Air ... A
Excellent work all around. George Clooney is top shelf; Vera Farminga exhibits range; Jason Bateman is good; could have used way more JK Simmons (when can't you?). Jason Reitman is three for three in feature length efforts. The audience seemed to have a better reaction to this than what I've heard about Men Who Stare at Goats (although, I've also heard Clooney is quite good in that, too). This was easily tied with The Hurt Locker for best film I've seen since July.

duke dynamite
11-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Up on blu-ray. Very good. I like Edward Asner and I think Dug was hilarious.

Star Trek on blu-ray. It was good in IMAX, and it was good on home video. For me, the best movie of the year.

Unclebuck
11-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Up In the Air ... A
Excellent work all around. George Clooney is top shelf; Vera Farminga exhibits range; Jason Bateman is good; could have used way more JK Simmons (when can't you?). Jason Reitman is three for three in feature length efforts. The audience seemed to have a better reaction to this than what I've heard about Men Who Stare at Goats (although, I've also heard Clooney is quite good in that, too). This was easily tied with The Hurt Locker for best film I've seen since July.

Looking forward to seeing that. And yes Men Looking at Goats just didn't work

SilverStrife
11-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Star Trek Excellent movie. Can't wait to get my PS3, so I can watch it again in Blu-Ray.

Hicks
11-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Frost / Nixon Pretty good. Still a lot about him and that time period I don't know. I'm sure those that know more would appreciate it more.

Kill Bill Vol. 2 - Still high quality.

Suaveness
11-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Up on blu-ray. Very good. I like Edward Asner and I think Dug was hilarious.

Star Trek on blu-ray. It was good in IMAX, and it was good on home video. For me, the best movie of the year.

I haven't seen Up yet, but I have loved pretty much all of Pixar movies, especially the recent ones. Should I go ahead and buy it?

duke dynamite
11-19-2009, 04:38 PM
I haven't seen Up yet, but I have loved pretty much all of Pixar movies, especially the recent ones. Should I go ahead and buy it?
Like every Pixar movie, except for both Toy Story movies and A Bug's Life, I bought it without seeing it at the theater. It was worth it.

sweabs
11-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Just saw The Hangover for the first time. I was really underwhelmed - maybe I went into it with too high of expectations.

Hicks
11-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Spider-Man. I've fallen more out of love with those movies each time I watch them as I've gotten older.

The Shawshank Redemption. Hard to be better than this.

Speaking of being older, it'd been a few years since I'd sat to watch the entire thing (Shawshank) in one sitting. You see things differently than you do when you're younger. Makes me wonder what other movies/TV shows I'll appreciate and/or view differently with a few more years under my belt.

Unclebuck
11-19-2009, 10:46 PM

Speaking of being older, it'd been a few years since I'd sat to watch the entire thing (Shawshank) in one sitting. You see things differently than you do when you're younger. Makes me wonder what other movies/TV shows I'll appreciate and/or view differently with a few more years under my belt.

very true

Los Angeles
11-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Just saw The Hangover for the first time. I was really underwhelmed - maybe I went into it with too high of expectations.

I saw that movie twice. First time, I thought it was very funny (I admit I had a couple of drinks and had recently gotten plowed in Vegas where I lost a butt-load of money)

The second time, I was sober and excited to see all those jokes again and it fell completely flat, especially the absurd plot twists, the awful Tiger puppet and ... well ... everything. I just think that comedies were so much better back in the days when they were not dependent on having a plot to move a story along. No puzzles to solve. No lessons to learn.

Animal House
M*A*S*H
Caddy Shack
Blazing Saddles
Vacation

I mean, yeah, there's some semblance of plot in these movies but never EVER does a character learn anything about themselves or try to win over a girl or change the world.

Comedies have really suffered when people started writing them like they are mysteries or dramas or action movies only with jokes added.

Considerable and notable exception to this rule: Any comedy written by the Coen Brothers.

I did still appreciate the payoff of the pictures at the end of The Hangover, though. That was still a nice touch.

duke dynamite
11-20-2009, 12:21 AM
You're Canadian. You get a pass.

Unclebuck
11-20-2009, 08:48 AM
I think Hangover is the best comedy I have ever seen. And no I wasn't drunk when I saw it. I actually saw it at the bargain matinee showing at 11:00 AM on a Sunday. maybe by the end I was drunk with laughter. I'll see it again here in a few weeks and we'll see if I like it as well.

And I generally don't like comedies - most are too dumb and not funny.

sweabs
11-20-2009, 10:41 AM
You didn't think the Hangover was dumb? A tiger in the bathroom is not dumb?

duke dynamite
11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
It was unexpected. Who would've thought that there would be a tiger in the bathroom!? It was hilarious.

Unclebuck
11-20-2009, 11:21 AM

I guess if something is funny enough, I'm willing to overlook dumb.

Everyone has a different sense of humor, and I guess whatever type of humor Hangover was is my type of humor. Not sure why. There were several lines that just had be laughing out loud. And I enjoyed the plot a great deal also (if had a better plot than a lot of action/drama movies I have seen this year)

The tiger, the baby - it all worked. The only thing that didn't work for me, was the gay Asian guy - everything else I thought was right on

duke dynamite
11-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Metromix: "Is 'New Moon' the best yet?"

How do you come to that conclusion when there has only been 1 movie before it? I would understand if this was the third or fourth movie, whatever, but c'mon. At least say that it's "Better than the first."

BTW, those movies just get under my skin. The preteen heart-throb obsession movies. OMG, this is rediculous.

Trader Joe
11-20-2009, 12:36 PM
It wasn't the fact that there was a tiger in the bathroom that was funny, it was how it was handled.

Pig Nash
11-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Tigers LOVE pepper!

Suaveness
11-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Not really a movie, but I saw Chicago (the musical). Was quite good, and actually showed how good the movie really was.

sweabs
11-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Bruno

Pretty funny at times. Seemed real scripted though.

cdash
11-24-2009, 12:51 AM

Not at all. They explained it. It's far fetched, but the security footage of the one guy humping him was funny enough to make up for it.

Unclebuck
11-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Precious really, really good. Type of movie that sticks with you for a few days, because the characters get under your skin - you care about them.

avoidingtheclowns
11-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Precious really, really good. Type of movie that sticks with you for a few days, because the characters get under your skin - you care about them.

Monumentally depressing though. My review got lost in the PD meltdown, but I was stunned by the performances. Mo'Nique was unrecognizable and powerful (not something I ever expected to say about the star of Phat Girlz). Mariah actually seemed like she was capable of acting -- she was even using an authentic Brooklyn Jewish accent. Precious was a newcomer herself. I think I gave it a B+.

Unclebuck
11-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Monumentally depressing though. My review got lost in the PD meltdown, but I was stunned by the performances. Mo'Nique was unrecognizable and powerful (not something I ever expected to say about the star of Phat Girlz). Mariah actually seemed like she was capable of acting -- she was even using an authentic Brooklyn Jewish accent. Precious was a newcomer herself. I think I gave it a B+.

Depressing? I suppose, but also a little life-affirming in that she was starting to overcome some of the obsticals in her life. Of course what she went through was depressing. Overall though, I was in a good mood as I was leaving the theater, because good movies always put me in a good mood. And being engrossed in a movie for 2 hours always puts me in a good mood.

OakMoses
11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Pineapple Express.

It had some funny parts, but on the whole was not good. At the end I was glad I graded papers while watching it. It wasn't worth 2 hours of my sole attention.

My experience with Apatow and his cronies is that the quality of his films has a direct correlation with the amount of pot humor in them. The first goes up as the latter goes down.

In general I think his TV shows (Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared) are much better than his films because they clean him up and force him not to take the cheap route to laughter.

Major Cold
11-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Star Trek..

Simply rekindled the Treky fire.

bellisimo
11-30-2009, 05:19 AM
Zombieland - fun times!

Unclebuck
11-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Blind Side

Comparing Blind Side to Precious is facinating. IMO Precious is real, and very engrossing story based on a true story. Blind Side is also based on a true story, but it has been put through the big Hollywood studio re-writes and probably audience focus groups. Blind Side seemed false to me at every turn. The number of times I said to myself, yeah right, I bet that is the way it really happened (sarcastically) was in the double figure range. Everything about it seemed false, white-washed, and made for the largest audience as possible. I didn't really like it, but the others in the theater seemed to.

The sad thing is Blind side could have been a really good movie because the source material is good.

N8R
11-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Contract Killers

Knew nothing about it going in other than the names so I figured sweet a lot of cool murders and whatnot. Oh man what a waste of my time. One of the worst movies I have ever seen.

N8R
11-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Reign Over Me

Still one of the best movies I have seen. It makes me literally cry every time I watch it.

N8R
11-30-2009, 08:53 AM
Captivity

Started off cool with a guy getting killed in a sweet way and then Elisha Cuthbert started acting instead of posing nude so it wasnt that good.

N8R
11-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Sex Drive

Had its moments but pretty terrible.

N8R
11-30-2009, 08:57 AM
W.

It was alright. I watched the first bit before i left for my adventure back in Feb so I had been wanting to see it for some time now. Didnt live up to what I wanted. Too many questions and too soon for it I think.

N8R
11-30-2009, 08:58 AM
The Secret Life Of Bees

I saw this one a while back but I dont know if I ever did a post on it and I feel like it really deserves one because it was a very good movie. I have no idea why I liked it so much, I guessed it pulled me in and was believable and the acting was very good. Highly Highly recommended.

cdash
11-30-2009, 03:15 PM
The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

If you are part of the cult following of the first one, you will probably enjoy this one. I fall into that camp, so I thought it was great. If you aren't a fan or have never seen the first one, you might want to avoid it.

PS: I stole N8R's format because I liked it so much. Forgive me.

Los Angeles
11-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Anyone see The Road yet?

My review of it was obliterated in the data loss. Just curious what others think about it.

Pig Nash
11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day

If you are part of the cult following of the first one, you will probably enjoy this one. I fall into that camp, so I thought it was great. If you aren't a fan or have never seen the first one, you might want to avoid it.

PS: I stole N8R's format because I liked it so much. Forgive me.

No Dafoe, no go for me. I'm not a huge fan of the original but Dafoe scenery chomping was great and hilarious.

I haven't seen the Road yet but I plan to.

avoidingtheclowns
11-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Anyone see The Road yet?

My review of it was obliterated in the data loss. Just curious what others think about it.

Haven't had a chance to see it yet, but interested in checking it out. I really dug another Hillcoat movie: The Proposition.

cdash
11-30-2009, 09:04 PM
No Dafoe, no go for me. I'm not a huge fan of the original but Dafoe scenery chomping was great and hilarious.

I haven't seen the Road yet but I plan to.

He makes a cameo.

duke dynamite
12-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I bought Terminator Salvation Director's Cut today at Best Buy on blu-ray for $15.99 in case anyone else is interested.

N8R
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
The Last King Of Scotland

great movie. Had heard of it a while ago and how well Whitaker acted. It lived up to the hype and I would recommend it for sure to anyone.

No worries C Dash. It is a good format to have.

N8R
12-03-2009, 08:58 AM
What Goes Up

Never heard of it but I grabbed it from someone a while ago and just got around to viewing it. Good movie. Not great but a cool story and mostly well acted, except for Hilary Duff who I havent seen act in her life. She just takes me out of any movie I see her in because she is so bad. Good watch though.

Hicks
12-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Ninja Assassin - Meh

New Moon - Better than Twilight, but then I thought the first one was "meh".

Kegboy
12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Blind Side

Comparing Blind Side to Precious is facinating. IMO Precious is real, and very engrossing story based on a true story. Blind Side is also based on a true story, but it has been put through the big Hollywood studio re-writes and probably audience focus groups. Blind Side seemed false to me at every turn. The number of times I said to myself, yeah right, I bet that is the way it really happened (sarcastically) was in the double figure range. Everything about it seemed false, white-washed, and made for the largest audience as possible. I didn't really like it, but the others in the theater seemed to.

The sad thing is Blind side could have been a really good movie because the source material is good.

What's interesting about that is Precious is based on a novel, which itself is a fictional story based on the author's experiences with many women in such circumstances. Blind Side is based on a non-fiction book about a real person.

vapacersfan
12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I just finished Jarhead again (I have probably seen in 15 times, but I love it)

I just got Pelham 1 2 3 in from Netflix. I am hoping it turns out to be good.

Unclebuck
12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Finally saw Public Enemies this past weekend. And I really, really liked it. Technically, it was as good as any movie I have ever seen, great job by all involved on that end of things. But what IMO kept it from being a great movie and one of my alltime favorites is the story itself didn't come alive, didn't draw me in completely, however I wasn't bored and I wouldn't have been upset if the movie was longer.

I'm one that thinks gunfights are really boring, so predictable, and just not very compelling, but in this movie they were the best I have ever seen. They were shot, edited and scored just perfectly for the mood they were going for and I thought the gunfight scenes were the best scenes in the movie and typically I think gunfight scenes are often the worst scenes in the movie.

Overall there was so much I really liked about this movie, I will watch it again for sure

GO!!!!!
12-14-2009, 03:12 PM
have you seen the original John Dillinger UB? it's got Mark Harmon I believe in it, worth a watch to compare thye two..

Funny People

**** x Infinity, that's all I can say... two fricken hours of pure horse crap that was lame lame lame lame lame, the funniest part was the Aus Rip off but that was to fast and lame and well I feel depressed for anyone watching it..

JayRedd
12-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Anyone see The Road yet?

The Road - 8/10

Dug it, although it had some definite flaws. [No spoilers and minimal plot talk ahead but I will be writing about the overall themes of the film in the forthcoming paragraphs]

The main problem in my estimation is that it sort of tried to walk the line between being a completely artistic/indie flick and a movie that appealed to a larger audience.

The director's primary mission seemed to be to create a picture that dealt with the psychological terror that comes along with the inherent desperation/hopelessness of living in such a bleak, dystopian landscape where the concept of a collective humanity has almost completely ceased to exist. And within that was also the whole concept of family/fatherhood and the nature of good and evil, among other themes. Ambitious stuff.

But on the other hand, there was a pseudo-action story where Hollywood tricks of suspense and plot-driven run-ins with villains were utilized to "keep the viewer interested."

It sort of succeeded in both — and I would say it is actually the best post-apocalyptic movie I've seen in attempting to achieve the former — but it didn't really hit a home run in either direction. Probably a double in each.

As a work of art, it was diluted. And as just a cool movie to watch and not really think about much ever again, there really wasn't enough to keep you interested. I've heard some critics say "nothing happened," which I certainly understand and would agree with, but my criticism would probably be "actually, too much happened."

Dude tried to split the middle and sort of ultimately achieved nothing.

Then again, just for what it did achieve and for the director's amazing ability to create a completely believable landscape, I would still recommend everyone see it. The camera work, make up/costumes, (minimal) CGI, lighting, sound and all that jazz was superb. Viggo is great. And I really enjoyed the whole thing aside from a few scenes and the kid's performance being a little weak towards the end. Some of the flashback stuff was a little stupid as well and, of course, the laugh-out-loud Vitamin Water product placement that completely took me out of the movie-watching experience was borderline appalling.

I'm just a little disappointed because I think it was a few post-production decisions and a few extended father/son scenes away from being a historically excellent film.

Suaveness
12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
I haven't watched a movie in 4-5 months. Starting Wednesday I may watch 5 in a row. Without moving.

GO!!!!!
12-14-2009, 07:51 PM
The Goods

Live Hard - Sell Hard

Pretty good movie, had no idea what it was about when i got it, nice cameo's and well ten times funnier then Funny People, worth a watch...

aero
12-16-2009, 11:32 PM
Die Hard

for some reason i love to watch this movie at Christmas time every year. I'm thinking Home Alone will be what i watch next after watching the tonight show.

Unclebuck
12-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Saw Avatar today.

Visually it was stunning, a masterpiece, technically it was a masterpiece. However I thought the story was weak, I was rooting for the suuposed "bad guys' to win in the end. The story, writing, acting, I thought was a huge disapointment, I really wanted to like this movie. I was bored for most of the movie, the story, the characters at no point drew me in.

N8R
12-19-2009, 10:39 PM

Stunning visually like UncleBuck said but I really liked the story line and was pulled right into the movie. I wasn't bored I actually wanted to see more. At no time was a rooting for the "bad guys."

Great effects, the acting was good enough, I mean I wasnt too focused on the acting but I really really enjoyed the movie.

N8R
12-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Zombieland

I was expecting so much more. Just dull, predictable and kinda lame. There were a bunch of cool kills and some funny parts but it was not worth the price of the movie theatre ticket.

Hicks
12-20-2009, 01:47 AM
I saw Avatar in 3D/IMAX.

I liked it.

And I certainly didn't root for the bad guys like a certain Admin of whom I'm suddenly extremely suspicious. ;)

It was no masterpiece, but certainly a likable film with a lot of nice visuals.

This was my first time seeing a 3D movie (an actual movie, not a documentary or something like that), and the impact was very hit and miss. Sometimes it made things hard to watch and/or blurry, other times it gave a pretty good sense of depth. It was a net gain of 0, though. The good and the bad of watching it that way balanced each other out. I'd like to see it in "regular" format. Especially without the glasses.

Suaveness
12-20-2009, 02:07 AM

I dunno, I loved it. It really drew me in, so much that I felt awful that the bad guys might win. I don't know how you could ever root for them.

Stunning visuals in 3d IMAX. Totally worth the extra money.

Unclebuck
12-20-2009, 07:24 AM
I was not going to bring this up because this is not the place for it, but because my rooting interest is being challenged, let me just say the mystical/environmental/trees are the source for everything good, man the source for everything bad turned me off a lot, plus the leader of the "bad guys' was so ovr the top, I just had to root for him.

However, I have seen movies that were even more overtly political and against my views, that I still liked a lot. So that wasn't really why I didn't love the movie.

I just don't like these kinds of movies. When I got home last evening and before the Pacers game started I watch Grand Torino and loved it as much as I did a year ago when I watched it the first time.

I am expecting most people to like Avatar, and I certainly don't hate it and generally I really like James Cameron's movies, so I hope this movie does well and beats Transformers II at the box office

Pig Nash
12-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks for explaining. This is basically Cameron's environmentalist movie so I could get that' human's sucking would turn a few people off.

Hicks
12-20-2009, 01:06 PM
I didn't see it as "humans suck", but rather "industrialism leading to doing these kinds of acts sucks".

Los Angeles
12-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Trees suck.

btowncolt
12-20-2009, 01:14 PM
http://www.someecards.com/card/lets-go-see-a-500-million-scifi-allegory-about-the-perils-of-wasteful-human-behavior

JayRedd
12-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I didn't see it as "humans suck", but rather "industrialism leading to doing these kinds of acts sucks".

I saw it as "Hey guys, I'm just going to retell Pocahontas here, but it's gonna look absolutely visually stunning so you're cool with this being completely derivative and unoriginal right? I'll throw in a little Romeo & Juliet and some Matrix themes for kicks, cool? And everyone's blue."

Still, I really enjoyed the experience, if not the movie. Just unreal technology and it's hard to believe 2D movies will be made by Hollywood in 20 years.

Sorta felt like I was watching a Birth of a Nation-level breakthrough in film. Even had the same race war thread running through it.

I would recommend everyone see it. Great entertainment. Average movie.

ilive4sports
12-23-2009, 09:23 PM
State Of Play

I really enjoyed the movie. Didn't see the twist at the end coming at all.

Trader Joe
12-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Saw Avatar today.

Visually it was stunning, a masterpiece, technically it was a masterpiece. However I thought the story was weak, I was rooting for the suuposed "bad guys' to win in the end. The story, writing, acting, I thought was a huge disapointment, I really wanted to like this movie. I was bored for most of the movie, the story, the characters at no point drew me in.

Buck, you really are conservative to the core, huh? LOL.

SoupIsGood
12-23-2009, 11:22 PM
Buck, you really are conservative to the core, huh? LOL.

Go imperialism!! ;)

SoupIsGood
12-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Meh. The writing was weak, the storyline was boring. I wasn't really even very enthralled by the visuals. (I didn't see it in 3D, though.)

Unclebuck
12-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Saw Up in the Air with George Clooney. I really, really liked this movie and was thoroughly entertained. One of the best compliments I can ever give a movie is that I didn't want it to end. Great acting, great writing, everything about it was great. Certainly will get nominated for best picture and will probably win, Clooney will get nominated, as will the sreenplay and director and likely a couple of the supporting actors.

I was not bored for 1 minute and was completely engrossed in the story and the characters.

I am so glad they still make real movies about real people and normal situations

Will see it again for sure

Kegboy
12-24-2009, 03:02 PM
I was not going to bring this up because this is not the place for it, but because my rooting interest is being challenged, let me just say the mystical/environmental/trees are the source for everything good, man the source for everything bad turned me off a lot, plus the leader of the "bad guys' was so ovr the top, I just had to root for him.

However, I have seen movies that were even more overtly political and against my views, that I still liked a lot. So that wasn't really why I didn't love the movie.

I just don't like these kinds of movies. When I got home last evening and before the Pacers game started I watch Grand Torino and loved it as much as I did a year ago when I watched it the first time.

I am expecting most people to like Avatar, and I certainly don't hate it and generally I really like James Cameron's movies, so I hope this movie does well and beats Transformers II at the box office

See, this spells out exactly why I'm not interested in seeing this. I feel that I have to, just because of the 3D, but I fully expect to not like the film at all.

It's not like such a story would turn me off necessarily, Dances with Wolves is one of my all time favorites. Just what I've seen rubs me the wrong way.

Los Angeles
12-24-2009, 03:20 PM
I wish everyone would realize that Avatar is a space adventure movie about giant blue people.

Turn on conservative news and suddenly I'm led to believe that it's a propaganda film produced by Neo-Stalinists.

I can't stand all of the handwringing and outrage over the movie's supposed "message". It's a popcorn rated PG James Cameron movie! Next thing we're going to hear is how completely unfair he is to cyborgs, evil "companies" that want to use killer aliens as bio-weapons and, well, giant icebergs.

It's a stupid sci-fi movie.

Unclebuck
12-24-2009, 10:15 PM
I wish everyone would realize that Avatar is a space adventure movie about giant blue people.

Turn on conservative news and suddenly I'm led to believe that it's a propaganda film produced by Neo-Stalinists.

I can't stand all of the handwringing and outrage over the movie's supposed "message". It's a popcorn rated PG James Cameron movie! Next thing we're going to hear is how completely unfair he is to cyborgs, evil "companies" that want to use killer aliens as bio-weapons and, well, giant icebergs.

It's a stupid sci-fi movie.

I agree, and that was only about 5% of the reason why I didn't like it, as I said in my post I have seen a lot of other more overtly political movies that I enjoyed a great deal.

I mainly didn't like this movie because the story was weird and boring, the characters were either weird, boring or a stereotype, and certainly not interesting.

Up in the air on the other hand was an example of a movie I loved

Los Angeles
12-24-2009, 10:25 PM
I also saw Up in the Air. It was outstanding, but had one flaw that I just can't get over. Let's just say that it has a No Country For Old Men move in it that completely betrayed me.

Unclebuck
12-24-2009, 10:34 PM
I also saw Up in the Air. It was outstanding, but had one flaw that I just can't get over. Let's just say that it has a No Country For Old Men move in it that completely betrayed me.

I thought the ending was excellent, realistic and I thought rather clear.

I'm curious what you mean exactly - so if you have a chance PM me, although i'll only be online for about 10 more minutes

gummy
12-24-2009, 11:09 PM
Just re-watched the new Star Trek movie, hoping to experience Avatar soon, but mostly looking forward to the Alice movie in March '10.

avoidingtheclowns
12-25-2009, 02:13 AM
I thought the ending was excellent, realistic and I thought rather clear.

I'm curious what you mean exactly - so if you have a chance PM me, although i'll only be online for about 10 more minutes

Actually, I'm curious too LA ... so if you wouldn't mind posting here, that'd be swell.

Hicks
12-25-2009, 02:26 AM
With spoiler tags, please. I'd like to see the movie and I won't be able to for a while yet. I'm sure others would be appreciative as well. Thanks!

Los Angeles
12-25-2009, 03:17 AM
it will take me just a little while to piece my thoughts together. Promise I'll get to it tomorrow - with spoiler tags. ;)

Los Angeles
12-25-2009, 01:48 PM
If you haven't seen No Country for Old Men or Up in the Air, do not read this.

You've been warned.

The part of Up in the Air that really messed the movie up was the sequence of events from him leaving the stage up until the "I'm married" bit. It very much lowered the experience for me. I was discussing the movie with a good friend who saw the film at the Telluride film festival and he was the one who related it to the main character dying off screen in No Country for old men.

In no country for old men, we are brought along the journey through the survival story of the main character. It's his journey, his survival that the audience cares most about. But 3/4 through the movie, he dies off screen and we're left with some other story about an old sheriff. the sheriff makes a speech, never catches the bad guy, and movie over. It left a number of people disgusted. I forgave the film because of how outstanding the rest of it was, but even to this day I have no idea what the sheriff said in that speech. No clue. The movie was pretty much over when our hero was shot down.

Up in the Air suffers in the same way. for three quarters of the movie, we've been sold a story of a man trying to recapture his humanity. Slowly but surely, we follow him as he builds relationships. Due to the new threat to his job and therefore his lifestyle, we see him reconsider the way he lives in small, subtle and very real ways.

This is the journey we're on. This is the conflict. This is the story. It was tremendously realistic, reasonable and it's presentation was outstanding.

And then it happens. He's about to go on stage and give his speech. and that's when HOLLYWOOD SHOWS UP! I could see a guy in a suit rejecting the first edit of the movie and saying something like "You know what this movie needs? A ZINGER!" Instead of him doing what would have been reasonable (give his speech but subtly realize while giving it just how hollow the words can be), we're given some horse hockey where he stands up the crowd, races across the country to chicago and finds the girl. That doesn't happen. Long standing professionals don't run out of meetings. they don't stand up crowds. Just like how in real life we never see an old boyfriend interrupt a wedding and leave with the bride, we never see a guy fly across the country to appear on a woman's doorstep. But somehow HOLLYWOOD SCRIPT DOCTORS think that the paying customer just won't like a movie any other way.

I saw the movie with my girlfriend and the moment he leaves the convention, she says under her breath "Oh, please" with just enough eye roll that I know what she's talking about.

And as soon as the movie jumps the shark, And believe me, that was nothing more than a stunt, and the "I'm married" zinger happens, it all falls apart. We're given a flash of what happens later. The young apprentice moves on. He mopes just a little bit, then, out of nowhere, his job is abruptly saved and he can just keep doing whatever he was doing before the movie started. Movie over.

I really liked the movie overall. But what I liked about it: the characters it drew, the subtle conflicts it created, the awakening of this man's spirit, well, all of that was stabbed in the back with the ending stunt.

Overall, though, I felt that the movie should be put on everyone's list of movies to see, and I look forward to hearing what others think about the film.

Unclebuck
12-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Saw Sherlock Holmes. It had some really nice elements, Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law were both great. Many individual scenes were excellent, and the barebones plot overall was good. Having said that something went wrong, I suppose the director didn't do a good job. The movie was very disjointed, it meandered - it could have been an excellent movie, but it just sort of wore me out by the end. Probably in the hands of a better director it would have been really good. as it was it was OK.

LA I hear what you are saying about Up in the Air but I never let a questionable plot point otherwise ruin a really, really, really good movie - best movie I have seen this season

cdash
12-26-2009, 12:50 AM
I'll chime in on the Avatar discussion: I thought it was fantastic. Visually, it was the most amazing movie I've ever seen. Now, I did see it in IMAX 3D, and I didn't notice any blurriness or anything. It was just really spectacular. The story was okay, nothing Earth-shattering or terribly original. Did anyone think "FernGully" after leaving the theater? It reminded me a lot of that movie, story-wise.

Hoop
12-26-2009, 01:45 AM
If you haven't seen No Country for Old Men or Up in the Air, do not read this.

You've been warned.

In no country for old men, we are brought along the journey through the survival story of the main character. It's his journey, his survival that the audience cares most about. But 3/4 through the movie, he dies off screen and we're left with some other story about an old sheriff. the sheriff makes a speech, never catches the bad guy, and movie over. It left a number of people disgusted. I forgave the film because of how outstanding the rest of it was, but even to this day I have no idea what the sheriff said in that speech. No clue. The movie was pretty much over when our hero was shot down.

You nailed how I felt about this movie. About 1/2 way through I was thinking this is going to be one of the all time great movies. After the last 1/4 of the movie I'll never watch it again and rank it as one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen. I seriously hate this movie now.

Unclebuck
12-26-2009, 08:01 AM
LA and Hoop, I guess I don't understand letting one plot point destroy your enjoyment of what you both think was otherwise an excellent movie. I don't understand that concept, that approach. If I am thoughly entertained for 80% of the movie and then something happens that I think wow why did they do that, it doesn't ruin the movie for me. Just like if I'm bored for 80% of the movie can't wait for it to end and then the last 20% is great (that rarely if ever happens, but in theory it could) I don't all of a sudden love the movie.

Besides that general point I think your specific criticisms of this movie are very minor. I haver skimmed through probably 30 online reviews of the movie and while a couple have said the last 1/4 of the movie was its weakest, I have not seen a review that is critical of the specific point you are both critical of

Bball
12-26-2009, 08:12 AM
"Hoosiers" and "Rudy"
Both were playing on HDNet Movies last night.

Los Angeles
12-26-2009, 01:36 PM
LA and Hoop, I guess I don't understand letting one plot point destroy your enjoyment of what you both think was otherwise an excellent movie. I don't understand that concept, that approach. If I am thoughly entertained for 80% of the movie and then something happens that I think wow why did they do that, it doesn't ruin the movie for me. Just like if I'm bored for 80% of the movie can't wait for it to end and then the last 20% is great (that rarely if ever happens, but in theory it could) I don't all of a sudden love the movie.

Besides that general point I think your specific criticisms of this movie are very minor. I haver skimmed through probably 30 online reviews of the movie and while a couple have said the last 1/4 of the movie was its weakest, I have not seen a review that is critical of the specific point you are both critical of

Hoop was talking only about No Country.

As for me,

I think you're getting the wrong impression. It didn't ruin the movie. Ruin is far too strong of a word. I'm just pointing out the moment when I, as a viewer, was ripped from the world in front of me and became acutely aware of the men and women behind the curtain. And it really did do that. It turned the characters from real people into actors who are pretending to be real people. I eventually got back into the game, and I do appreciate the movie as a whole. I'm just explaining why - for me - it's a 3 star movie and not a 4 star movie. I still say everyone should see it.

But I'm the guy that gave Crash 1 star because of its overbearing contrivances.

The contrivances in Up in the Air are not nearly that overbearing, but they are there. Using webcams to fire people? I mean, come on. That was the first sign that the writer is just making bull-**** up for his script.

I very much enjoyed this movie. I gave me a lot to think about and there was a lot in it that I could relate to. I wish more movies like it were made and I think everyone should see this film because it IS very entertaining.

bellisimo
12-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Paranormal Activity

I want my 1.5 hours back.

500 Days of Summer

was a nice change to "romantic comedies"

Law Abiding Citizen

enjoyed it.

Public Enemies

good gun fights - but a bit disappointed with the overall movie.

Erik
12-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Saw Sherlock Holmes. It had some really nice elements, Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law were both great. Many individual scenes were excellent, and the barebones plot overall was good. Having said that something went wrong, I suppose the director didn't do a good job. The movie was very disjointed, it meandered - it could have been an excellent movie, but it just sort of wore me out by the end. Probably in the hands of a better director it would have been really good. as it was it was OK.

I just got back from seeing this and I agree with UB's review 100%. Even with the fault that UB mentioned I would still recommend this movie. It's open for a sequel and I hope that they don't take too long.

travmil
12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
500 Days of Summer

was a nice change to "romantic comedies"

My wife and I loved this movie. In fact, I got it for her for Christmas. A funny story about it, when we saw it at the theater, two ladies sitting in front of it were complaining about it and one of them was wondering why the girl from Bones would waste her time with a crappy movie like this one. When I corrected her and told her it wasn't the chick from Bones but it was her sister, who has a long standing tradition of appearing in quirky indy movies she stared at me like I had two heads. I guess know-it-alls don't like being corrected, especially in front of others.

Los Angeles
12-26-2009, 05:13 PM
That's really weird. They don't even look that much alike. Plus, last time I checked, starring in features is still a notch above doing TV.

Erik
12-26-2009, 06:47 PM
My wife and I loved this movie. In fact, I got it for her for Christmas. A funny story about it, when we saw it at the theater, two ladies sitting in front of it were complaining about it and one of them was wondering why the girl from Bones would waste her time with a crappy movie like this one. When I corrected her and told her it wasn't the chick from Bones but it was her sister, who has a long standing tradition of appearing in quirky indy movies she stared at me like I had two heads. I guess know-it-alls don't like being corrected, especially in front of others.

Hmm. I never made the connection. I'm suprised that they thought it was her, I don't think they look that much alike.

Unclebuck
12-26-2009, 10:12 PM

Yeah, I learned a long, long time ago never correct anyone you don't know. Happens all the time I'm standing in line someone behind is is talking about a certain movie or the pacers or something and they just have their facts wrong, I refuse to say anything

Natston
12-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Extract

It is by far the worst movie done by Mike Judge, but that being said...

It did have some decent laughs (notably the pot smoking scene), and Affleck was great.

Trader Joe
12-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Got Inglorious Basterds on DVD for Xmas and watched it tonight, first time I had seen it since in theaters. I really love this movie, just not a whole lot for me to complain about it. Waltz as Landa has a performance IMO that is every bit on par with Heath Ledger's Joker.

ilive4sports
12-27-2009, 03:33 AM
Got Inglorious Basterds on DVD for Xmas and watched it tonight, first time I had seen it since in theaters. I really love this movie, just not a whole lot for me to complain about it. Waltz as Landa has a performance IMO that is every bit on par with Heath Ledger's Joker.

Wow, I was just going to post this pretty much. I saw it in theaters and my family rented it (ok my brother rented it and the family watched it) tonight and I thought the same thing. I found it funnier this time and really do think Waltz played the role of Landa perfectly. I really enjoy the movie.

N8R
12-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Sherlock Holmes

As a whole I liked it but like others were saying it seemed like something was missing. I think it is a movie I need to watch on DVD by myself to just get the subtle moments again. But as far as a sequel I dont know what you are all talking aboutl. They closed the book on that one pretty good at the end.[/sarcasism]

N8R
12-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Holiday Inn

This is an old black and White movie with Bing Crosby. It was good for what it was but by todays standards you cant even compare it. It had some very classic songs in it that I guess originated from this movie. Good to see a holiday movie I hadn't seen before.

Stryder
12-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Holiday Inn

This is an old black and White movie with Bing Crosby. It was good for what it was but by todays standards you cant even compare it. It had some very classic songs in it that I guess originated from this movie. Good to see a holiday movie I hadn't seen before.

Classic movie. They don't make 'em like Bing and Fred Astaire anymore.

bellisimo
12-29-2009, 08:25 PM

total eye candy - sometimes i forgot i was watching 3d animation on the screen...as for the story...i can understand why people dubbed this movie "dances with smurfs"...if you haven't watched similar movies then i'm sure it'll have a bigger effect on you...however if you're a movie buff then the story won't really drag you in as much as it should.

Natston
12-30-2009, 01:05 AM
The Boondock Saints

First time seeing it... Overall, I didn't think it was bad but I don't think it hit average for me either.

bellisimo
12-30-2009, 11:40 AM
The Boondock Saints

First time seeing it... Overall, I didn't think it was bad but I don't think it hit average for me either.

I too just watched it yesterday. Thought it was a good flick...i'd say more than average :)

Los Angeles
12-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Boondock Saints didn't age well. I watched it a month or so ago and had a sudden urge to put on a flannel shirt and listen to grunge themed K-Tel records.

Los Angeles
12-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh I forgot to add a new review -

Watched Cop Land last night. If you haven't seen it, put it in your queue. This movie is way better than I remembered it being.