PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

Suaveness
02-22-2009, 07:28 PM
History of the World Part I- still an incredibly entertaining movie

ilive4sports
02-22-2009, 08:49 PM
American Gangster

I watched it before broken up into two parts as my laptop died before I could finish it so I wanted to watch it in one sitting. Really good movie.

Unclebuck
02-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I've tried to see some of the Oscar flicks over the past few weeks and most of them are pretty meh. Benjamin Button and Slumdog are both okay, The Wrestler and Doubt are superb, and Revolutionary Road is an absolute abomination of awful. Overall, 2008 was a pretty weak year for film-making me thinks.

I obviously didn't watch em all, but if I was making a list of the best movies I saw in the past 12 months, it would go:

1. Iron Man
2. Doubt
3. Che
4. The Wrestler
5. Pineapple Express
6. The Dark Knight
7. Burn After Reading
8. Ben Button
9. Slumdog
10. Shine a Light
256,876. Indiana Jones IV

As someone who absolutely loved Slumdog , I would be really curious as to why you didn't love the movie. I mean what is the weakness, because I really don't see a any. I mean I guess it is a movie that might not be great on paper, but as a movie experience I think it is close to perfect

AesopRockOn
02-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Not sure if Redd there is going for his favorites or looking at it from a more critical perspective but here's what I liked from this past year (assuming the TWWB's and NCFOM's are exempt):

1. Tropic Thunder (the best comedy of the decade and a comedic performance from RDJ that will be recognized as one of the best ever)

2. Slumdog (though it is super derivative and basic it still had that smooth Boyle execution; it's nowhere near one of my favorite movies but was en enjoyable movie experience)

3. The Wrestler (one of those really effectual movies plus Marisa's still got it)

4. Wall-E (could watch the first act of this movie a million times)

5. In Bruges (surprised at how much I need to view it again)

6. Kung Fu Panda (simple and fun nuff said)

7. Gran Torino (great marketing; watch it for Clint)

8. Benjamin Button (really wanted it to be better than Forest Gump; it's barely)

9. Iron Man (really strong except for the awful CG fight)

10. Doubt (thought it needed a different director; too ambiguous for a mass audience; still powerfully acted though)

11. Milk (can't say I really liked it but it was good)

12. W (superb performance but terrible editing)

13. the Dark Knight (I have never hated a movie (or an actor) so much after liking it so much the first time I saw it)

Choke was disappointing. Charlie Bartlett was ridiculously worse. The Happening was hilarious.

Haven't seen Appaloosa, Che, The Reader, The Wackness, Vicky blah blah blah, Frost/Nixon or any FOREIGN FLICKS; oh, or Donkey Punch...

Pretentious Note: Forgetting Sarah Marshall was much better as a movie than was Pineapple Express though I may have laughed more frequently during the latter.

Revolutionary Road was somehow more irritating than the average Mendes unthrill ride.

Not a great year Hollywood (except for getting those Searchlight movies online), hope 2009 is better (talking to you Mann, Quentin, and Ritchie).

Aw Heck
02-23-2009, 02:59 AM
As someone who absolutely loved Slumdog , I would be really curious as to why you didn't love the movie. I mean what is the weakness, because I really don't see a any. I mean I guess it is a movie that might not be great on paper, but as a movie experience I think it is close to perfect
My main problem with it is just the story itself. Every single question relates to a major event in Jamal's life and in chronological order (i.e. the first question relates to the earliest part of his life all the way through to the last question, which relates to the most recent part of his life). Just a little too contrived for me. Maybe if he just knew some of the easier questions and/or if the questions jumped us back and forth to different parts of his life, I might've been able to digest it better.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a good movie. I didn't find it as great as people say it is. I enjoyed The Wrestler, Rachel Getting Married, and WALL-E much more than Slumdog. (I still haven't seen Frost/Nixon, Milk, or Doubt. I need to get on that.)

Unclebuck
02-23-2009, 09:09 AM
My main problem with it is just the story itself. Every single question relates to a major event in Jamal's life and in chronological order (i.e. the first question relates to the earliest part of his life all the way through to the last question, which relates to the most recent part of his life). Just a little too contrived for me. Maybe if he just knew some of the easier questions and/or if the questions jumped us back and forth to different parts of his life, I might've been able to digest it better.

That is interesting. I think you are looking at it backwards. You seem to be suggesting that the Millionaire show was the story and that should dictate how the rest of the movie is told. I look at it just the opposite, the Millionaire show was just a good vehicle to tell the story and I think the story needed to be told in chronological order.

Not that I'm discounting the Millionaire show scenes, - they were excellent and very important to the structure - but i think it would have been a huge storytelling mistake to tell the story as you suggest.

Overall I will say this movie is a movie you feel. that is what I mean when I posted that maybe it wasn't great on paper - there are movies with better plots or movies that are better from an intellectual standpoint. But this movie is so great IMO because it touches your heart - I least it did to me and that is extremely rare for a movie to do.

duke dynamite
02-23-2009, 12:23 PM
Mama's Boy

Jon Heder
Diane Keaton
Anna Faris
Jeff Daniels

It wasn't a very big publicized movie...it was very funny, and not stupid. It had a good message towards the end of the film as well.

It may be a little hard to get a hold of, it wasn't a big production, but it was good.

Jeff Daniels was somewhat funny in it, too.

JayRedd
02-23-2009, 02:14 PM

Close to perfect? Wow. I mean, it's a pretty good filck and all, but really? Technically (filming, sound, visuals, sets, artistic presentation, etc.) it was indeed stellar. But the overall story arc and literally non-existent character development sort of marred all that for me somewhat.

I just thought it was a little needlessly sensational in parts and that it never really decided if it wanted to be an (A) realistic portrayal of an escape from poverty tale with a happy ending or (B) a self-aware fable trumpeting destiny and love conquers all.

To me it seems most people who love this movie so much see it more as A, but to me it doesn't really work on that level for multiple reasons.

I mean, I get it that he's from the absolute gutter. The Third World gutter even. And through the amazing camera work, etc, we are shown a slum that looks like hell. The idea that the gutter of Mumbai makes Boyz N' The Hood's Compton or The Wire's Baltimore look like paradise by comparison is pretty well-establsihed within the first 10 minutes of the movie just through visuals alone. Tough place to grow up.

But I'm supposed to believe that there are "evildoers" that kidnap kids and blind them by spooning out their eyes so they can be more effective beggars? Seems a little Cruella de Vil-ish. Rather cartoony. And I'm guessing he woulda just put the 13-year-old girl into a brothel if he was such a calculating/heartless capitalist rather than train her to dance, no? But of course a defiled, unpure girl wouldn't have fit into the uplifting themes.

Similarly, we're expected to believe that game show hosts are having kids who win hooked up to car batteries? Okay. Sure.

On another note, none of the characters change at all in any way or represent anything more than a hollow, one-dimensional depiction of some ideal. The bad guys are pure Nazi evil. Dev Patel is a walking definition of innocence, principles and faith in good. That chick is I dunno what. She's definitely smoking hot, I do know, which was maybe my favorite plot point. The brother is probably the "roundest" character in that he goes from being very practical, to cruel to ultimately regretful. (One thing I was curious about was why the brother sat in a bathtub full of money to get killed though? What did that exactly accomplish? Was there a metaphor there or something?)

But Patel just acts way too innocent and naive for me to believe he went through the s*** he went through. So he watched your mom get killed, were kidnapped into beggerhood, watched your brother shoot a Mumbai underlord in the head to rescue your 13-year-old soul mate from a life of forced belly dancing/prostitution, had your brother -- one of only two people in the world you love -- date rape the only other person in the world you love...and you still walk around with that wide-eyed, open-mouthed look on your face all the time? Odd. Things like that tend to harden people up a little. But not him I guess cause love and destiny kept him pure as untouched snow.

So maybe it's not realistic and is meant as a fable then?

Okay. I suppose it works on that level somewhat. But it's not exactly original or particularly compelling. Most Drew Barrymore/Julia Roberts rom coms have similar themes. Thematically, I kinda felt like I was watching "Pretty Women in India" at times.

And since the characters in this film had very few actual individual traits or emotional development, it was pretty hard to really care about them. I mean, the kids were pretty awesome. But once the adults showed up it just seemed fairly boring plot-wise.

And essentially, as the guy who writes FilmDrunk put it, "If I wanted to watch people I don’t give a s*** about fall in love I’d eat at the Olive Garden." (Here (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/02/list-of-oscar-winner).)

One last thing that also doesn't help is that the whole premise is structured around a gimmick (game show flashbacks). That's not always a bad thing by any means (see: Fight Club, Memento, etc.) but it just made the movie feel a little plastic and contrived to me. And even within that gimmick, how did he actually get to be on the show (maybe they explain this and I forgot). You'd think that would come up. Additionally, in at least the "Who invented the revolver?" question, the ensuing flashback never explains how he would have learned it was Samuel Colt. It is an action sequence where a .45 was involved, but just because you have possession of a gun doesn't mean you know who invented it in 1846 or whatever. That may have been the only sequence where his understanding of the "answer" wasn't explained, but I'm pretty curious as to how in the hell he would have known that info otherwise considering he is presented as being so ignorant that he doesn't even know the words on the Indian flag or a simple question about Gandhi.

Ultimately, it was a pretty decent movie. I just don't really see what all the fuss is about aside from the technically great aspects of the cinematography, score, visuals. I gave it an 8/10 on IMDB largely on that stuff alone, but I can't really see being stoked to see Slumdog again on the small screen where those aspects become less impressive/noticeable once it makes the HBO rounds.

rexnom
02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
You guys are ridiculous. Slumdog was the best cinematic experience of this past year. That's what matters to me. I am very happy it won and I still get goose bumps every time I hear a song from that movie.

Unclebuck
02-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Close to perfect? Wow. I mean, it's a pretty good filck and all, but really? Technically (filming, sound, visuals, sets, artistic presentation, etc.) it was indeed stellar. But the overall story arc and literally non-existent character development sort of marred all that for me somewhat.

I just thought it was a little needlessly sensational in parts and that it never really decided if it wanted to be an (A) realistic portrayal of an escape from poverty tale with a happy ending or (B) a self-aware fable trumpeting destiny and love conquers all.

To me it seems most people who love this movie so much see it more as A, but to me it doesn't really work on that level for multiple reasons.

I mean, I get it that he's from the absolute gutter. The Third World gutter even. And through the amazing camera work, etc, we are shown a slum that looks like hell. The idea that the gutter of Mumbai makes Boyz N' The Hood's Compton or The Wire's Baltimore look like paradise by comparison is pretty well-establsihed within the first 10 minutes of the movie just through visuals alone. Tough place to grow up.

But I'm supposed to believe that there are "evildoers" that kidnap kids and blind them by spooning out their eyes so they can be more effective beggars? Seems a little Cruella de Vil-ish. Rather cartoony. And I'm guessing he woulda just put the 13-year-old girl into a brothel if he was such a calculating/heartless capitalist rather than train her to dance, no? But of course a defiled, unpure girl wouldn't have fit into the uplifting themes.

Similarly, we're expected to believe that game show hosts are having kids who win hooked up to car batteries? Okay. Sure.

On another note, none of the characters change at all in any way or represent anything more than a hollow, one-dimensional depiction of some ideal. The bad guys are pure Nazi evil. Dev Patel is a walking definition of innocence, principles and faith in good. That chick is I dunno what. She's definitely smoking hot, I do know, which was maybe my favorite plot point. The brother is probably the "roundest" character in that he goes from being very practical, to cruel to ultimately regretful. (One thing I was curious about was why the brother sat in a bathtub full of money to get killed though? What did that exactly accomplish? Was there a metaphor there or something?)

But Patel just acts way too innocent and naive for me to believe he went through the s*** he went through. So he watched your mom get killed, were kidnapped into beggerhood, watched your brother shoot a Mumbai underlord in the head to rescue your 13-year-old soul mate from a life of forced belly dancing/prostitution, had your brother -- one of only two people in the world you love -- date rape the only other person in the world you love...and you still walk around with that wide-eyed, open-mouthed look on your face all the time? Odd. Things like that tend to harden people up a little. But not him I guess cause love and destiny kept him pure as untouched snow.

Okay. I suppose it works on that level somewhat. But it's not exactly original or particularly compelling. Most Drew Barrymore/Julia Roberts rom coms have similar themes. Thematically, I kinda felt like I was watching "Pretty Women in India" at times.

And since the characters in this film had very few actual individual traits or emotional development, it was pretty hard to really care about them. I mean, the kids were pretty awesome. But once the adults showed up it just seemed fairly boring plot-wise.

And essentially, as the guy who writes FilmDrunk put it, "If I wanted to watch people I don’t give a s*** about fall in love I’d eat at the Olive Garden." (Here (http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2009/02/list-of-oscar-winner).)

One last thing that also doesn't help is that the whole premise is structured around a gimmick (game show flashbacks). That's not always a bad thing by any means (see: Fight Club, Memento, etc.) but it just made the movie feel a little plastic and contrived to me. And even within that gimmick, how did he actually get to be on the show (maybe they explain this and I forgot). You'd think that would come up. Additionally, in at least the "Who invented the revolver?" question, the ensuing flashback never explains how he would have learned it was Samuel Colt. It is an action sequence where a .45 was involved, but just because you have possession of a gun doesn't mean you know who invented it in 1846 or whatever. That may have been the only sequence where his understanding of the "answer" wasn't explained, but I'm pretty curious as to how in the hell he would have known that info otherwise considering he is presented as being so ignorant that he doesn't even know the words on the Indian flag or a simple question about Gandhi.

Ultimately, it was a pretty decent movie. I just don't really see what all the fuss is about aside from the technically great aspects of the cinematography, score, visuals. I gave it an 8/10 on IMDB largely on that stuff alone, but I can't really see being stoked to see Slumdog again on the small screen where those aspects become less impressive/noticeable once it makes the HBO rounds.

Jay - yes, I have read several articles where it is true that children's legs are cut off, eyes taken out so they can make more money for their owners. Let me see if I can find the article. It is quite good and worth reading. I'll read the rest of your post in a few.

OK, please read this article. It might allow you to look at the film differently. If anything the movie didn't show things half as bad as they are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1127056/The-real-Slumdog-Millionaires-Behind-cinema-fantasy-mafia-gangs-deliberately-crippling-children-profit.html

wow, I just read the rest of your spoiler - I cannot fathom how you cannot care about the characters. I'll probably go see it ffor a third time. it has been quite awhile since I added a movie into my alltime top 5, but I think Slumdog will be added to my list

JayRedd
02-23-2009, 03:06 PM
You guys are ridiculous. Slumdog was the best cinematic experience of this past year. That's what matters to me. I am very happy it won and I still get goose bumps every time I hear a song from that movie.

I never said it shouldn't have won. Just saying it won in a bad year. Like AI's Sixers. Good team but I won't be telling my kids about either one.

JayRedd
02-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Jay - yes, I have read several articles where it is true that children's legs are cut off, eyes taken out so they can make more money for their owners. Let me see if I can find the article. It is quite good and worth reading. I'll read the rest of your post in a few.

OK, please read this article. It might allow you to look at the film differently. If anything the movie didn't show things half as bad as they are.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1127056/The-real-Slumdog-Millionaires-Behind-cinema-fantasy-mafia-gangs-deliberately-crippling-children-profit.html

Fair enough.

Yet I still didn't enjoy the portrayal even if it's based on reality. Not sure how to explain the feeling of the fakeness that that whole sequence had to it in words on a message board. Maybe sorta like New Jack City compared to The Wire. They're both talking about the same thing, but one is using cartoon characters and the other is has versimilitude. Or like City of God vs. Blood Diamond maybe. That's probably better since each were depicting foreign, Third World horror that I can't possibly imagine knowing. Yet one had me feeling like I was watching something real and the other one had a bad guy in an eyepatch.

(And, no, I'm certainly not actually comparing this movie to New Jack City. And I actually really like Blood Diamond regardless of some sillyness.)

N8R
02-24-2009, 04:26 AM
Vicky Christina Barcelona

What was that movie about?

count55
02-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Fair enough.

Yet I still didn't enjoy the portrayal even if it's based on reality. Not sure how to explain the feeling of the fakeness that that whole sequence had to it in words on a message board. Maybe sorta like New Jack City compared to The Wire. They're both talking about the same thing, but one is using cartoon characters and the other is has versimilitude. Or like City of God vs. Blood Diamond maybe. That's probably better since each were depicting foreign, Third World horror that I can't possibly imagine knowing. Yet one had me feeling like I was watching something real and the other one had a bad guy in an eyepatch.

(And, no, I'm certainly not actually comparing this movie to New Jack City. And I actually really like Blood Diamond regardless of some sillyness.)

It's interesting how, in fiction, it's often necessary to use a believable fiction as opposed to an unbelievable fact.

Tangentially, other things are affected by the audience's perception, like accents. My niece is a dialect coach, and she's done a lot of work up in the Chicago theatre scene. She talks about how she often has to "Americanize" the accent so that it's understandable.

On the TV series "Angel", Glenn Quinn played a character named "Doyle," who was to have an Irish accent. He had been most notably known as Becky Conner's boyfriend on "Roseanne." On chat boards and reviews, people made fun of his accent, saying it was corny and that he didn't stay in it consistently. The funny part was that Glenn Quinn was born in Dublin, Ireland, and lived his first 18 years there. His accent was his actual accent, and the only reason that he'd come out of it for certain lines was because the directors didn't think the audience would be able to understand the reading in his normal accent.

bellisimo
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Transporter 3
90 minute commercial for Audi...

Yes Man
More like - meh man

Role Models
very little funny moments...

Stryder
02-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Tropic Thunder.

Hilarious!

Suaveness
02-24-2009, 10:52 PM
Tropic Thunder.

Hilarious!

Mostly. They did go overboard with the retarded thing.

Stryder
02-25-2009, 10:05 AM

I'm not so sure about that. I thought it was completely in line with the movie.

count55
02-25-2009, 10:54 AM

I'm not so sure about that. I thought it was completely in line with the movie.

Considering all the hubbub, I was expecting there to be more. I'd have to watch it again, but my first reaction was, "what was all the fuss about?"

Then again, I don't have any personal investment in the entire issue, so I couldn't tell you whether it was offensive or not.

duke dynamite
02-25-2009, 10:56 AM
SEXDRIVE

Oh, man...it was hilarious!

BRushWithDeath
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Considering all the hubbub, I was expecting there to be more. I'd have to watch it again, but my first reaction was, "what was all the fuss about?"

Then again, I don't have any personal investment in the entire issue, so I couldn't tell you whether it was offensive or not.

Those were my feelings exactly. And I've seen the movie multiple times and still don't get the fuss.

avoidingtheclowns
02-25-2009, 06:03 PM

there were protests in front of the gallery place theater in dc the week before it came out (while there were press / advanced screenings going on). after the friday release, the protesters disappeared and were never seen again (at least at that theater, can't say for the rest of the city or country). once you see the specific parts in context it's pretty obvious they're not making fun of handicapped persons... kinda takes the wind out of the ol' protest sails.

Suaveness
02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm quite a tolerant person, but I did find it offensive at times. I think they should've gone with a different angle on it.

count55
02-26-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm quite a tolerant person, but I did find it offensive at times. I think they should've gone with a different angle on it.

That seems fair.

On to other things:

Richard III

1995 movie of the Shakespearean play, updated to the 1930 with Ian McKellen as the title character.

I don't generally like "modernizing", not because of any pretensions, but just because they tend to do such a ****ty job of it. However, this was pretty good. They basically used '30's warfare/other technology, music, and a few other conventions (including some veiled Nazi references), but the original dialogue.

McKellen was excellent as Richard of Gloucester, and his asides were (forgive me, but I can't find a more accurately descriptive word ) deliciously delivered.

Annette Bening played Elizabeth, wife of Edward IV. I normally can't stand her, but she was pretty good. Robert Downey, Jr gave a weak performance as her brother, Rivers, and their (intentionally) American accents early were kind of jarring. However, Bening really nailed her confrontation with Richard.

Some of the end was kind of ham handed, but it was enjoyable.

I hadn't seen it for years, and I was shocked to see Dominic West (McNulty from the Wire) as Henry, Earl of Richmond. He was very young, and his performance was uneven, but it was fun.

Twes
02-26-2009, 03:17 PM

BRushWithDeath
02-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Alpha Dog

Exceeded my expectations.

Trader Joe
02-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Transporter 3
90 minute commercial for Audi...

Yes Man
More like - meh man

Role Models
very little funny moments...

Two thoughts...
1) They made a transporter 3?

2) I didn't find the Simple Jack stuff offensive.

sweabs
02-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Paul Blart: Mall Cop

Pretty bad.

duke dynamite
02-28-2009, 01:44 AM
Mallrats...a classic.

Peck
02-28-2009, 01:53 AM
Traitor: Actually not bad. Wasn't the best film I have ever seen but it wasn't bad either. I am not sure why Steve Martin came up with this idea but I guess it worked.

Burn after reading: Hated it. In fact this is one film that I can honestly say that I didn't even watch all the way through. I realize that the Cohen Brothers are considered wizards of this type of film making but I just don't get it. I have never seen a film from them that I liked and did not consider a snoozefest.

W.: Meh, considering who made it I was deeply suprised that they portrayed former President Bush in as good a light as they did. I won't discuss the politics of this here because, well you know why. But I will say this that the only thing missing from former V.P. Cheney was a black top hat, cape and a handlebar mustache.

DisplacedKnick
02-28-2009, 08:27 AM
Zach & Miri Make a Porno

Just OK as romantic comedies go. Had a few chuckles. Watched a few of the deleted scenes (there were over 30 - watch 'em all and you get another movie) and there were a couple they should have left in - particularly the auditions (maybe not all of them but more). The best part overall may have been the way Banks and Rogan kept having guy talk with each other all the way through.

Unclebuck
02-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Burn after reading: Hated it. In fact this is one film that I can honestly say that I didn't even watch all the way through. I realize that the Cohen Brothers are considered wizards of this type of film making but I just don't get it. I have never seen a film from them that I liked and did not consider a snoozefest.

did you like Fargo??

count55
02-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Traitor: Actually not bad. Wasn't the best film I have ever seen but it wasn't bad either. I am not sure why Steve Martin came up with this idea but I guess it worked.

W.: Meh, considering who made it I was deeply suprised that they portrayed former President Bush in as good a light as they did. I won't discuss the politics of this here because, well you know why. But I will say this that the only thing missing from former V.P. Cheney was a black top hat, cape and a handlebar mustache.

did you like Fargo??

I have "Burn After Reading" on my iPod, but I've only watched part of it. Not because I didn't like it, but because I wasn't in the mood.

As to Fargo, I thought it was OK, but, like most Coen Brothers movies, it tended to be a little too self-consciously quirky. I do think they've made some movies I've really liked, including "O Brother", "The Big Lebowski", and "No Country for Old Men" was well made in every way, though I'm very conflicted about it.

As to W, I'm not sure when I'll watch it. I'm not a huge fan of Oliver Stone, who I consider to either be dishonest or a complete whack job...possibly both.

Suaveness
02-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Dirty Harry...though I don't know which one. It's the one with the exploding toy cars (I'm assuming it's one of the later ones)

Peck
02-28-2009, 01:54 PM
did you like Fargo??

Not really.

N8R
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Doubt

No have no doubt about not liking it. Might not have been in the mood but it was long, very story driven and just too much talking.

N8R
02-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Twilight

It was pretty hokey and very predictable. Just needed to waste time on a 15 hour flight.

count55
02-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Dirty Harry...though I don't know which one. It's the one with the exploding toy cars (I'm assuming it's one of the later ones)

The Dead Pool

Twes
02-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Body of Lies

sweabs
02-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Religulous: Really, really enjoyed it.

The Heartbreak Kid: I had already seen this on television but had no idea what I was watching at the time. About half-way through viewing it this time around, I realized that I had seen the movie already...but watched it to the end. It's not bad.

duke dynamite
03-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Zach & Miri Make a Porno

Just OK as romantic comedies go. Had a few chuckles. Watched a few of the deleted scenes (there were over 30 - watch 'em all and you get another movie) and there were a couple they should have left in - particularly the auditions (maybe not all of them but more). The best part overall may have been the way Banks and Rogan kept having guy talk with each other all the way through.
THIS MOVIE IS GREAT!!!

Suaveness
03-01-2009, 02:14 AM
THIS MOVIE IS GREAT!!!

I certainly enjoyed it. I thought Rogen and Banks had very good onscreen chemistry, their interactions were priceless. The other characters fit in well too

Unclebuck
03-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Fargo is an alltime classic. Strangly though, I liked it better the second and third time I watched it. It is one of those movies where certain scenes and performances are classics.

Zach & Miri Make a Porno - I have to say it was probably the dirtiest movie I've ever seen.

Suaveness
03-01-2009, 12:28 PM
But did you like it at all?

JayRedd
03-01-2009, 04:00 PM
I realize that the Cohen Brothers are considered wizards of this type of film making but I just don't get it. I have never seen a film from them that I liked and did not consider a snoozefest.

I've never heard anyone say this before.

Unclebuck
03-02-2009, 08:22 AM
But did you like it at all?

It was funny - but not that great

Raskolnikov
03-02-2009, 11:20 AM
The curious case of Benjamin Button

Most boring movie ever.

Since86
03-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Swing Vote.

I was pleasantly surprised.

duke dynamite
03-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Swing Vote.

I was pleasantly surprised.
It was a good movie.

BKK
03-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Slumdog Millionaire... amazing

Unclebuck
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Frost/Nixon the acting was incredible across the board. It was very well made, but I certainly didn't love the movie overall it. Plus I had seen the climactic scene so many times in the previews -maybe that is why it fell rather flat.

Good movie, but not anything more than that.

I certainly liked Slumdog much more, also liked Gran Torino and I think Benjamin more.

MyFavMartin
03-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Lions for Lambs. Liked it a lot.

Think every high schooler and college student should watch it just to get them to think critically about real life and the crap they're exposed to everyday.

Stryder
03-04-2009, 11:07 AM
A couple of friends had an advanced screening of Watchmen.

Here is one of the reviews.

http://flyingtrapeezius.blogspot.com/2009/03/watchmen-review.html

I'm stoked.

Unclebuck
03-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I've been looking to see how much of Watchman is actually in IMAX. Does anyone know. Just trying to determine if it is worth seeing it in IMAX

GO!!!!!
03-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Watched 88 Minutes Last Night

Torn, right idea, wrong execution... I found it to be annoying rather than enjoyable, I knew it was one of the students, I actually thought it was all and couldn't be bothered watching the rest, I still did just to find out but bleh, wasn’t worth it, and the end was lame, just finished, could have just watched the start and then fast forwarded to the end for the same result<o></o>

Not a classic by any means..<o></o>

N8R
03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Watchmen

Saw it yesterday in the threatre. I liked it. I think knowing who they were before I watched the movie might have helped out but I liked it none the less. Good effects and overall pretty good. I think I thought it was going to be something different though so I was a little let down. Good action and violence.

Pig Nash
03-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Watchmen

Loved it, see the watchmen thread for more.

Suaveness
03-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Watchmen- thought it was very good. An interesting comic movie/book, it really deals with the human nature of these "heroes"

Hicks
03-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I'll say this in both threads: If you've only seen the movie, please go read the book. Once you've finished it, you're likely going to thank me if this spurs you to do so.

duke dynamite
03-07-2009, 01:32 AM
How to Lose Friends and Alienate People

Great movie. Simon Pegg never fails to entertain. Belli would love this one, Megan Fox stars in it. Her character was horrible, but she played it well.

Shade
03-07-2009, 03:02 AM
My Name Is Bruce

Bruce Campbell. 'Nuff said.

Okay, actually, there's a bit more to say. The movie was quite cheesy and over-the-top, but the flick (read: Bruce) had its moments.

Shade
03-07-2009, 03:03 AM
Still Waiting

It had some good parts here and there, and virtually everyone from the first film made an appearance at some point, but it was nowhere on par with Waiting. Still cool to see how some of the characters progressed/regressed from the original.

DisplacedKnick
03-07-2009, 08:14 AM
Quarantine No more than OK as horror movies go. I doubt I'll remember it in a month. Sort of a cross between 28 Days and Night of the Living Dead but not as good as either.

Chronicles of Narnia The new one with Prince Casper or whatever. Actually wasn't too bad. A little more brutal than the first one. A couple of the plot lines were a bit murky and the movie would have been helped by fleshing those out but it was pretty entertaining.

sweabs
03-07-2009, 10:34 AM
Dirty Driving: Thundercars of Indiana

Wow.

sweabs
03-07-2009, 10:55 PM
American Teen

Found it quite boring.

sweabs
03-07-2009, 10:55 PM
Zack and Miri Make a Porno

Had some funny moments. I find that I do not enjoy these types of movies as much when I'm not with a bunch of friends.

duke dynamite
03-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Zack and Miri Make a Porno

Had some funny moments. I find that I do not enjoy these types of movies as much when I'm not with a bunch of friends.
Blasphemy!

Twes
03-08-2009, 01:03 PM
I Am Legend

The Hurricane

JayRedd
03-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Clerks II - 7/10

Better than expected. Rosario is a goddess.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 7/10

Not bad. Kinda whatever with some good lines here and there. Not much really happens that's funny aside from the dialogue though so it probably coulda been just as good as an audio book. Then again, I might not have enjoyed the movie that much at all without being able to stare at Mila Kunis, who also happens to be a goddess. Other than her, Paul Rudd is the best part. "The weather outside is weather."

BRushWithDeath
03-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Dirty Driving: Thundercars of Indiana

Wow.

This is a must watch if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

count55
03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
W.

Boring, kinda pointless

sweabs
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Finally watched Slumdog Millionaire.

I have to agree with most of what JayRedd said a couple pages ago. Particularly this:

That's the feeling I got most of the way through as well. As you stated, the cinematography, music, technical stuff, etc. was much better than your standard 'rom com' - but outside of that it's just another predictable, boring chick flick. In fact, I've seen chick flicks where I cared more about the characters.

I also think that the game show idea ruined any chance of the story 'pulling at my heartstrings'. It just seemed to take away from it...kind of cheezy.

Just my opinion. Maybe I went into the movie with too high of expectations since everyone has been telling me what a great flick it is.

P.S. How hot is that chick, though? What is her name? She is gorgeous.

Doug
03-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Finally watched Slumdog Millionaire.

Ditto.

It was a pretty good movie. Nicely done. I thought the concept was fairly clever, and they managed to make me care a bit about the characters.

Good movie. Worth seeing.

Suaveness
03-08-2009, 09:04 PM
P.S. How hot is that chick, though? What is her name? She is gorgeous.

Freida Pinto

Unclebuck
03-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Role Models it was OK. Only OK

Natston
03-10-2009, 11:35 AM
A Few Good Men

Finally got around to seeing it...

Shade
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Watchmen

8.5/10. I put my review in the appropriate thread.

JayRedd
03-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Fletch - 10/10

I'd seen pieces but never the whole thing in one sitting. Tremendous. The loss of the likes of Chevy Chase, Steve Martin and Eddie Murphy from the world of comedic film-making has been truly tragic.

ilive4sports
03-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Smart People

It was on HBO or something and my friend just put it on and I enjoyed it. Pretty good movie find for just trying to kill some time.

sweabs
03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Role Models

Awesome. I haven't enjoyed a comedy this much in a long time (especially considering I was watching it on my own). Very, very good.

duke dynamite
03-13-2009, 11:36 PM
Role Models

Awesome. I haven't enjoyed a comedy this much in a long time (especially considering I was watching it on my own). Very, very good.
I just finished watching it. I rented it, so I am now going to get it on Blu-Ray.

Twes
03-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Role Models

In the Electric Mist

sweabs
03-14-2009, 07:32 PM
The Obama Deception

sweabs
03-15-2009, 09:36 PM
City of God

It's about time I got around to watching this film. It did not disappoint, and if I were to compare it to Slumdog (which seems to be the popular contrast these days), it wouldn't even be close. I thought City of God was that much better...probably in every aspect. I really enjoyed it.

Unclebuck
03-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Milk very good movie. Sean Penn, John Franco and Josh brolin were all great

Peck
03-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Role Models. Normaly I am a comedy prude as I just don't find very many of them funny. However for some reason this one struck me the right way and I thought it was very very very funny.

Could be making fun of kiss or it could be making fun of the S.C.A. (I can't remember what they were called in the movie) but this one was down right funny.

Twes
03-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Role Models. Normaly I am a comedy prude as I just don't find very many of them funny. However for some reason this one struck me the right way and I thought it was very very very funny.

Could be making fun of kiss or it could be making fun of the S.C.A. (I can't remember what they were called in the movie) but this one was down right funny.

The woman who ran the school cracked me up.

Mourning
03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Milk very good movie. Sean Penn, John Franco and Josh brolin were all great

I still have to see this one.

Saw "Watchmen" yesterday. Liked it, would have liked to care a bit more about the main characters, but on general quite good, but definitely not a classic or something. Liked the atmosphere of the movie ... the gloom and doom feel ... and I thought the music was VERY well chosen actually.

Not a must see, but definitely interesting and nice to see.

DGPR
03-16-2009, 03:07 PM
"I run this team"

"Are you the coach?"

"I am the coach, I'm the point guard, I'm the center, the two forwards.....and the other guard"

Unclebuck
03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Oh I almost forgot. Race to Witch Mountain I realize it is probably geared towards 10-12 year old males. But it was really bad and I felt insulted that they actually charged me to sit through such a dreadful movie. Wasn't worth a Saturday morning TV show.

DGPR
03-16-2009, 03:14 PM
I watched Yes Man! last and I thought it was a pretty good movie. Jim Carrey does his best in movies when he gets to act crazy and stupid. The version I watched was kind of dark and grainy though.

ilive4sports
03-16-2009, 03:32 PM

You know what I had for breakfast? Cocaine.

Want to know what I had for lunch? Cocaine.

What to guess what I had for dinner?

Cocaine?

duke dynamite
03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
You know what I had for breakfast? Cocaine.

Want to know what I had for lunch? Cocaine.

What to guess what I had for dinner?

Cocaine?
You can't BS a BSser.

Peck
03-16-2009, 04:08 PM

I tried to find her doing potato in the paddywagon but this is all I could find from "the mighty wind".

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dH15bwH7n8s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dH15bwH7n8s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shade
03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
Last House on the Left (2009)

Awesome flick. One of the most graphic movies I've seen in some time. Finally, an R-rated movie that actually lives up to its rating. Not for the squeamish.

8.5/10

Unclebuck
03-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Awesome flick. One of the most graphic movies I've seen in some time. Finally, an R-rated movie that actually lives up to its rating. Not for the squeamish.

8.5/10

Can I ask a question. A serious question from someone who just doesn't enjoy graphic movies, blood, gore, killings - you know. Why do you enjoy it, what is the appeal. To me it makes me feel dirty - like I want or need to take a shower after watching it. I don't mind some violence if it is part of the story. But what I do enjoy suspense and intrigue.

I have not seen any of the Saw movies and generally try to avoid gory movies

Just curious

Stryder
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM

8.5/10

comparable to the original?

idioteque
03-17-2009, 02:46 PM
In Bruges..quite good actually.

Gandhi is on demand right now...sure it is like 3 hours long but for some reason I love watching it.

sweabs
03-17-2009, 08:47 PM
W.

Didn't enjoy this one all that much. All of the actors just seemed to be caricatures of themselves. Maybe I should not have watched the film in the first place, knowing full well that it would be an interpretive work. But I couldn't get over the massive amounts of speculation that went into making the film. I realize that poor decisions were made by the administration; reactive decisions - ones that most likely had hidden agendas. But to me, it seemed as though their decision-making process was just over-simplified and sensationalized as a way of showcasing each character's one-dimensional persona to the point where it became comedic (and eventually annoying).

As someone who loves history, I just felt like this film didn't do much to fulfill my thirst in that area. As count said, "pointless" is definitely one way of looking at it.

Shade
03-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Can I ask a question. A serious question from someone who just doesn't enjoy graphic movies, blood, gore, killings - you know. Why do you enjoy it, what is the appeal. To me it makes me feel dirty - like I want or need to take a shower after watching it. I don't mind some violence if it is part of the story. But what I do enjoy suspense and intrigue.

I have not seen any of the Saw movies and generally try to avoid gory movies

Just curious

It's just fun for me, because it's something that I will (hopefully) never see in real life.

Plus, the bad guys are so bad in this film that you can't help but wait to see them get theirs.

Oh, and going to see movies like this with other people who aren't desensitized? Priceless. The girl next to me was squirming constantly and even on the verge of tears once, and even she said it was a great movie.

Shade
03-17-2009, 09:50 PM
comparable to the original?

It's been so long since I've seen the original that I don't remember it too well. I'm planning on hunting down a copy and watching it soon, though. I'll write up a comparison then.

Shade
03-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

I let it slip to a friend that I had not seen any of the films or read any of the books, so now she's making me watch all the films this week.

It wasn't exactly what I expected, which is a good thing. Good movie, a lot of attention to detail was done, though I figured out much of the ending well before the end.

7.5/10

Shade
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

My favorite one of the series so far. I almost figured out the ending of this one too, though it was a bit harder. I was on the right track.

8/10

Shade
03-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I didn't like this one quite as much as the first two, but it was also the third one I had seen in a row, and it was 7am so I was pretty tired. The ending seemed to drag out a bit more than I would have liked. But it was still good.

7/10

Shade
03-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

I think my rating on this is probably a bit incomplete, as it is the first HP film that is not entirely self-contained, and I have not yet seen the Order of the Phoenix. The first two movies seemed to move at a good pace, but the next two, particularly this one, felt a bit too dragged out.

7/10

Trader Joe
03-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh I almost forgot. Race to Witch Mountain I realize it is probably geared towards 10-12 year old males. But it was really bad and I felt insulted that they actually charged me to sit through such a dreadful movie. Wasn't worth a Saturday morning TV show.

What on God's green earth possessed you to see that?

Suaveness
03-18-2009, 12:40 AM

I think my rating on this is probably a bit incomplete, as it is the first HP film that is not entirely self-contained, and I have not yet seen the Order of the Phoenix. The first two movies seemed to move at a good pace, but the next two, particularly this one, felt a bit too dragged out.

7/10

You need to read the books. There's no way the 2nd should be your favorite.

In general I've thought the books were >>> movies, but that doesn't mean I'm still excited about the 6th movie (which should have been out by now :censored:)

Peck
03-18-2009, 01:45 AM
Swing Vote.

Not bad, although about mid way through the movie I wanted the Daughter to come down with a case of the flu or something. (God how annoying)

Anyway it was entertaining and if you have nothing else to do it would be worth a watch.

Jose Slaughter
03-18-2009, 02:41 AM
The Grey Zone

Its rare that I would recommend a movie about a German concentration camp where nobody spoke German. Even more rare would be me suggesting anyone see a movie with David Arquette but The Grey Zone is good enough to overcome both.

The tension starts in the opening moments of this film & seldom lets up. The film takes place almost entirely in the camp with death everywhere & just moments away for everyone. The hopelessness & urgenency of those in the camp comes across early and remains, non-stop through out.

I much prefer films that take place in foreign countries to use the native language but this movie is so overwhelmingly powerful that I will let it slide.

The Grey Zone also stars Steve Buscemi, Harvey Keitel, Mira Sorvino & Daniel Benzali

Since86
03-18-2009, 11:22 AM

7/10

Like Suave said, you need to read the books.

The books are a 1000x better, and that's not hyperbole. As the series went along, the books got bigger. (The OoTP is the longest, but the following two after are pretty good sized as well) The details that the movies leave out are huge, and very important later. As entertainment, the movies are good.

I wish they would have made them longer though. People will sit through a 3hr movie, if it needs to be that long. HP needs to be that long. I was very pleased when I found out that the Deathly Hollows was going to be split into two films. That book pulls in information from the first 6 that, at times, you thought was completely trival.

I'll stop now because I can go on all day, and I'll probably ruin something for you.

Shade
03-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

My new fave. Plenty of action, dark atmosphere, and Dumbledore vs. Voldemort. :cool:

8/10

Shade
03-20-2009, 07:41 PM
Uncle Buck

Classic, and still fun to watch after all these years. Can't beat it for 5 bucks at Wal-Mart.

9/10

tora tora
03-20-2009, 09:48 PM
Knowing

Great edge of your seat psychological drama...

Twes
03-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Around the Bend

Bball
03-22-2009, 12:04 PM
"Eagle Eye"

Popcorn movie all the way. Don't expect too much and it'll help you fill a couple of hours. The plausibility meter goes off the deep end. It's hard to really believe some of the things that happen early, and it doesn't get much more believable as it goes on. It's too over the top to really make you think Big Brother is that capable or that this is anything to worry about in reality.

If you go in expecting a thought-provoking thriller then you will be sadly disappointed. The more thought you put into it, the more you're likely to say "Oh ~right~" and finally turn it off.

A large portion of the movie is SUPPOSEDLY taking place in Indianapolis.

Suaveness
03-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I Love You, Man- I thought it was quite funny and well done

sweabs
03-22-2009, 08:18 PM
The Boy In The Striped Pajamas

Tough movie to watch.

Sure, you have to get past the British accents for a Holocaust film...but the story makes up for it. The acting is superb.

What a sad film though. The youthful innocence exhibited throughout the movie is what made this particular Holocaust story stand out amongst others. It's saddening to watch a film through this perspective.

Towards the end of the film, I'm watching at the end of my seat but realize, what exactly am I rooting for? Would it make things any better? This film messed with me. I can't say much more than it's extremely tragic and sad. It leaves you with a sick taste in your mouth.

bellisimo
03-23-2009, 05:19 AM
Killshot

meh - lackluster at best.

Jose Slaughter
03-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Sweabs

I was really looking forward to seeing The Boy In The Striped Pajamas & I was just really put off by the lack of even an attempt at German accents. I gave up after about 5 minutes because I just couldn't "buy" the movie.

I knew going in, that The Grey Zone would be like that as well, considering the actors that I knew were in the movie.

I couldn't tell you why I liked one & gave up on the other.

RWB
03-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Eraserhead.....I, uh, its really about, well sort of like, maybe close to.....there is no description for Eraserhead.

Shade
03-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Eraserhead.....I, uh, its really about, well sort of like, maybe close to.....there is no description for Eraserhead.

Yeah, I don't really get it, either. Weird, weird movie. I watched it last semester for my independent film class, and even though it was explained what it was supposed to mean, I still didn't get it. :dunce:

All of David Lynch's stuff is dark and weird. And full of dirt.

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2009, 05:47 AM
Dr. Horribles' Sing Along Blog - A friend of mine loaned it to me.

Started off slow but was surprisingly entertaining. I bet Fillion had a blast doing that.

idioteque
03-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Sweabs

I was really looking forward to seeing The Boy In The Striped Pajamas & I was just really put off by the lack of even an attempt at German accents. I gave up after about 5 minutes because I just couldn't "buy" the movie.

I knew going in, that The Grey Zone would be like that as well, considering the actors that I knew were in the movie.

For some reason, this never bothers me. However, if you are a German speaker, I can totally see how it would.

count55
03-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Sweabs

For some reason, this never bothers me. However, if you are a German speaker, I can totally see how it would.

I fail to see how German accented English is more authentic than English accented English, when they're both not actually speaking German.

I minutiae like that is such a large distraction, then it tells me that either the movie isn't very good, or I'm just not very interested in the movie itself.

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Uncle Buck

Classic, and still fun to watch after all these years. Can't beat it for 5 bucks at Wal-Mart.

9/10
+1

idioteque
03-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Animal House. The best comedy of all time in my opinion. Sure Caddyshack is right up there too but Animal House is tops.

duke dynamite
03-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Animal House. The best comedy of all time in my opinion. Sure Caddyshack is right up there too but Animal House is tops.
I'm a zit. GET IT?

Suaveness
03-26-2009, 01:20 PM
For me, nothing beats Blazing Saddles. That's just too good.

Shade
03-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Dragonball Evolution

Actually a little better than I was expecting, though that's not saying much. Moved a bit too fast (the movie was only like 75 minutes or so), and a bit too cliche, leading to a somewhat anti-climatic final battle.

Decent for fans, but otherwise forgettable. Pretty nice special effects, though.

6/10

Shade
03-26-2009, 11:56 PM
I have never watched Caddyshack, Animal House, or Blazing Saddles in their entirety. I plan to watch all three relatively soon to see what all the hype is about.

kester99
03-27-2009, 12:00 AM
May I suggest you try The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming! as well, if you haven't seen it. Dr. Strangelove would be another.

Just a thought. I'd recommend those to anyone. Good cold war memories, eh?

Shade
03-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Never been a big fan of war or war movies, which is probably why I haven't seen them.

I did do a school project on a clip from Full Metal Jacket that was pretty funny, though.

Bball
03-27-2009, 02:53 AM
Never been a big fan of war or war movies, which is probably why I haven't seen them.

I did do a school project on a clip from Full Metal Jacket that was pretty funny, though.

Those aren't really war movies and certainly nothing like FMJ.

-Bball

Bball
03-27-2009, 02:55 AM
"W"

Is there a "W" in "Boring"? ....Well there's sure a lot of "boring" in "W"....

Natston
03-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I have never watched Caddyshack, Animal House, or Blazing Saddles in their entirety. I plan to watch all three relatively soon to see what all the hype is about.

I'll contend there are better comedies than those three...

pianoman
03-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Knowing

9/10

excellent movie. It sorta reminds you of national treasure at some points due to nicholas cage, but nonetheless, a great movie. (not one for the kids though, lots of death)

RWB
03-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll contend there are better comedies than those three...

Blazing Saddles has got to be in the top three IMHO.

kester99
03-27-2009, 11:47 AM

The ones I mentioned are both comedies.

rexnom
03-27-2009, 03:10 PM
I just saw the Wrestler and it baffles me how it didn't get best director and best actor.

DisplacedKnick
03-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Saw Watchmen. Will comment in that thread.

Natston
03-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Blazing Saddles has got to be in the top three IMHO.

Not for me personally... :shrug:

Animal House is definitely up there, Caddyshack places somewhere but it's been awhile since I've seen it...

Natston
03-27-2009, 07:48 PM
Quantum of Solace

Difficult to gauge, personally. I give it a positive review, but there were many things that were unimpressive or negative.

Suaveness
03-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Quantum of Solace

Difficult to gauge, personally. I give it a positive review, but there were many things that were unimpressive or negative.

I thought it was a good movie, but not necessarily a good "bond" movie.

And nobody cares what you personally think, Blazing Saddles is the best. :devil:

count55
03-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Battle of Algiers (La Battaglia di Algeri) 1966

Very impressive. Pacing is kind of odd, and it just...well...ends, but it's very interesting. It's an Italian made movie in French/Arabic/and, I believe at times, French dubbed over Arabic (which can be disorienting), all with English subtitles. One of the Algerian FLN leaders, Yacef Saadi, was the producer and played himself in the movie. It was also his story.

It was amazingly even handed, and one of the main characters, almost a hero, was the Colonel Matthieu of the French Para's.

Anyway, the story of the Algerian revolution/war is simply a brutal, fascinating time in history.

JayRedd
03-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I've never been particularly impressed with Animal House. Caddyshack, Blazing Saddles and Airplane! are all much, much, much better.

Dr. Strangelove would be another.

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!

I just saw the Wrestler and it baffles me how it didn't get best director and best actor.

It's unfathomable that Mickey didn't win.

Quis
03-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (http://www.expelledthemovie.com/) - *removed* I'd give the movie 3 stars (out of 4). *removed*

count55
03-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed (http://www.expelledthemovie.com/) - *removed* I'd give the movie 3 stars (out of 4). *removed*

Hi, Kofi.

Quis
03-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Hi, Kofi.

Hello Sherlock Holmes.

Quis
03-28-2009, 11:11 PM
By the way, I realize that last post, although on-topic, may have crossed the line as far as the no politics/religion rule goes. I'm sorry, but I needed to vent and pignash's political board is almost completely deserted.

sweabs
03-29-2009, 09:37 AM
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1939)

SycamoreKen
03-29-2009, 10:19 AM
Madagascar 2 Enjoyable.

Unclebuck
03-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Duplicity

pretty good. Too many flashbacks and too many plot twists for my liking. Those interrupted the flow too often. Other than that - the movie was pretty good - some really good scenes - but just too disjointed. There were some great performances though and overall entertaining, but it could have been better

duke dynamite
03-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Quantum of Solace

Loved it. The plot took me a little while to catch on, due to this is the first Bond movie that I could recall being a sequel.

Twes
03-30-2009, 11:39 AM
I came across No Country for Old Men on some channel this past weekend and watched it for probably the 4th time.

I discovered that I I've made peace with this movie. With surprise gone I find that I am left to enjoy the exchanges and interactions in this film and I am no longer stung by it's jarring deficiencies.

Time will be kind to this movie.

Shade
04-03-2009, 05:25 PM
X-Men Origins: Wolverine

This review is based off of a workprint of the movie, so the special effects were incomplete and at least some of the music was used as a placeholder (though it all seemed to fit pretty well).

I thought it was pretty good. Certainly better than X3 (which I actually liked), and not too much worse than the first two films. I thought Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool was perfect, though I was shocked by what happened to him at the end of the film. They made him look a bit like Ultimate Deadpool with the disfigurement (sewing his mouth shut was funny as hell), and I can't believe they killed him off (trust me, he ain't coming back from that), but giving him all the powers of the mutants they had on hand was badass.

I felt like the Blob and Gambit were a little off, probably due to the choice of actors, but neither of them were terrible. Blob was probably a little more spot-on than Gabit, IMO.

8.5/10*, based on the workprint. I'll reevaluate after I see the completed version.

JayRedd
04-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I could not possibly be more excited for Wolverine.

Shade
04-04-2009, 12:31 PM
I just hope you're not a Deadpool fan. I think there is going to be a lot of ire concerning how he is handled in the film.

Oh, and this may be Hugh Jackman's best performance so far. He was amazing.

Suaveness
04-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Kill Bill Vol. 1- Good ol fashioned butt kicking

Natston
04-05-2009, 12:07 AM
Waiting...

Eh, not as bad as what I expected. Still not a great movie though...

JayRedd
04-05-2009, 12:14 AM
I just hope you're not a Deadpool fan. I think there is going to be a lot of ire concerning how he is handled in the film.

Oh, and this may be Hugh Jackman's best performance so far. He was amazing.

I don't know who Deadpool is.

I'm mainly there to see Logan rip **** up in like five wars, stab a bunch of people with his claws, get some crazy surgery and generally put on a badass show.

Twes
04-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Duplicity

Trader Joe
04-05-2009, 01:39 PM

I'm mainly there to see Logan rip **** up in like five wars, stab a bunch of people with his claws, get some crazy surgery and generally put on a badass show.

Co-sign.

ilive4sports
04-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Fast and Furious.

Ok from a movie stand point it probably wasnt good, but I didnt see it for that reason. I thought it was the best of the series. The cars were awesome (got rid of the cheesey rice), ladies were hot, driving scenes were pretty sweet. Acting and plot? eh, but i enjoyed it for the reasons i listed.

Trader Joe
04-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah, a couple buddies and I went and saw it (Fast and Furious). Thought it was probably the best of the series. Take that for what you will. Definitely had the best cars of the series. The Skyline was probably the cleanest import they've had.

Natston
04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Phone Booth

Sure the plot was a little too out there and simplistic, but man the middle stretch was thrilling and suspenseful.

SycamoreKen
04-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Knowing

9/10

excellent movie. It sorta reminds you of national treasure at some points due to nicholas cage, but nonetheless, a great movie. (not one for the kids though, lots of death)

My wife and I saw this today and liked it until the last 15 minutes. I saw the ending coming, but was hoping it wasn't going there. The effects were good, but, and this may get this response deleted by Hicks, as a Christian, the story was insulting (I'd be happy to discuss this in PM land if one feels the need to know why i feel this way, but I won't go into it more in this thread.). Even without the last scene the ending was a let down.

Suaveness
04-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Speaking of, National Treasure- Good, fun movie

Shade
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM

How can you not know who Deadpool is?! Deadpool is the ****, yo.

ABADays
04-09-2009, 05:19 AM
I don't know if any of you have seen the HBO movie called Taking Chance but you should. Amazing movie with Kevin Bacon.

indyman37
04-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Saw Fast and Furious yesterday, and I loved it. Thought it was, as most others do, the best movie of the series. Though as mentioned above, the plot was different from the other three movies. This time, there was a defined plot from the very beginning and you knew what was going on.

Natston
04-12-2009, 02:08 AM
Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder

Bleh, they took the weakest storyline of the four with the weakest jokes of the four, and slapped on a token series ending scene. Really disappointing...

duke dynamite
04-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Bedtime Stories - This movie was very fun. Probably the best Adam Sandler movie yet.

Peck
04-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Observe & Report....

Um, had a few moments of being entertaining. I'll just go ahead and say that if you like Eastbound & down you probably are going to like this movie as well.

Definately a "type" of humor that you probably either get or don't.

I didn't hate the movie but I can't say I loved it either.

It was very mixed in what it wanted to be IMO.

You really really have to suspend disbelief in this film though.

Trader Joe
04-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Bedtime Stories - This movie was very fun. Probably the best Adam Sandler movie yet.

Uh, I haven't seen that, but I'd wager that can not be accurate.

DisplacedKnick
04-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Observe & Report....

Um, had a few moments of being entertaining. I'll just go ahead and say that if you like Eastbound & down you probably are going to like this movie as well.

Definately a "type" of humor that you probably either get or don't.

I didn't hate the movie but I can't say I loved it either.

It was very mixed in what it wanted to be IMO.

You really really have to suspend disbelief in this film though.

I've been waiting for this one.

Being as I worked Mall Security in grad school, ever since the movie was announced I thought those 3 words captured the job description perfectly.

sweabs
04-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Watched Yes, Man

Shade
04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Super Troopers

Love that movie.

Peck
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
Thrilla in Manilla, an HBO sports documentry on fight three between Ali & Frasier.

Fascinating, enlightening, entertaining and suprising.

If you love the sweet science this is a must. This is told from Joe Fraisiers point of view with interviews with all of the major players that are still alive minus Ali & King.

In fact King is just mentioned one time during the entire film.

There were things in there that I had never EVER heard in my life.

Ali speaking at a Ku Klux Klan rally was just more than my head could accept, absolutely unreal.

It's playing on HBO all month long, do yourself the favor and DVR it.

Well worth your time.

ilive4sports
04-13-2009, 01:04 AM
Old School

classic.

Pacers#1Fan
04-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Role Models

That movie was hilarious

Twes
04-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Thrilla in Manilla, an HBO sports documentry on fight three between Ali & Frasier.

Fascinating, enlightening, entertaining and suprising.

If you love the sweet science this is a must. This is told from Joe Fraisiers point of view with interviews with all of the major players that are still alive minus Ali & King.

In fact King is just mentioned one time during the entire film.

There were things in there that I had never EVER heard in my life.

Ali speaking at a Ku Klux Klan rally was just more than my head could accept, absolutely unreal.

It's playing on HBO all month long, do yourself the favor and DVR it.

Well worth your time.

I saw this in the guide but didn't realize itwas a new one. I appreciate the heads up.

Twes
04-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Taken

The Boondock Saints

Twes
04-13-2009, 10:11 AM
Leatherheads

grace
04-18-2009, 04:44 PM
State of Play--Pretty good movie with an interesting twist at the end; however I guess Hollywood had decided that all Jeff Daniels can play anymore is the character you're supposed to be surprised when it turns out he's bad. Problem is he's played it so many times I expected it the miniute I saw him on screen.

Erik
04-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Observe And Report I liked it, my wife hated it. I would only recommend it to people who enjoyed Pineapple Express because it's the same type of humor. The trailer for the new [B]Terminator[/B looked pretty darn good.

rexnom
04-19-2009, 05:39 PM
State of Play--Pretty good movie with an interesting twist at the end; however I guess Hollywood had decided that all Jeff Daniels can play anymore is the character you're supposed to be surprised when it turns out he's bad. Problem is he's played it so many times I expected it the miniute I saw him on screen.
But was it supposed to be a surprise? Jeff Daniels first lines were about Ben Affleck leaving the committee. Next scene we see Daniels in, he's pissed off because of Affleck's outburst. At this point, he could have been Tom Hanks and we still would have known he was a bad guy.

grace
04-19-2009, 05:53 PM
But was it supposed to be a surprise? Jeff Daniels first lines were about Ben Affleck leaving the committee. Next scene we see Daniels in, he's pissed off because of Affleck's outburst. At this point, he could have been Tom Hanks and we still would have known he was a bad guy.

Maybe it wasn't supposed to be a surprise, but was I suppose to know before he even uttered a sound?

Since86
04-20-2009, 12:29 PM
I've not finished it yet, but I've been watching a documentary on Meticalla called Some Kind of Monster. It's during 2002-2003 when they're making their St. Anger album.

I've always heard Lars is a doucher, but watching him enteract with people and how he even conducts his body language, someone needs to beat to sense into him, literally.

It really is amazing they have survived 27yrs, death, addictions, and replacing bassists. I would think that having someone like Lars in a band, would just kill them. He is a great drummer, but a complete *******.

avoidingtheclowns
04-21-2009, 01:30 PM
I haven't really posted to PD since February. Though I'm quite certain my presence wasn't missed (especially by Hicks) here are a bunch of films I've seen in the last two-ish months:

Waltz with Bashir … A-
Waltz is a Linklater-styled animated documentary of sorts. Documentarian Ari Folman was involved in the Israel/Lebanon war but realizes that his own memories of that time are almost nonexistent. Instead of investigating the genocide in what would be considered a traditional documentary, he focuses more on the memories and nightmares of the friends who fought with him. He uses little footage choosing to conceptualize and visualize what his friends recall - sometimes in stunning fashion. It had moments where I found the animation distracting but it was quite enjoyable. When describing the film, Folman said “It should be hallucinatory but also realistic.” That is by far the best way to describe it.

The Class … A-
I haven’t seen Departures (the film that won best foreign language at the Oscars) but I’m stunned that neither Waltz nor The Class won. It must be pretty damn good. So was The Class - the counter punch to stories you read (educators mostly, I imagine) about Ron Clark. It's a quasi-documentary about an idealistic teacher in an ethnically diverse school in Paris learning that some students can‘t be reached. Quasi-documentary mainly due to the manner in which it was filmed. It began with an autobiography by a teacher who was then cast as the lead. Then most of the classroom scenes were improvised over the course of a year by non-actors (though playing roles) - so it certainly has an organic feel to it. My one complaint would be the length - it’s two hours long and by the end feels like every one of it’s 120 minutes. It’s certainly not an uplifting film but a good one.

Sunshine Cleaning … C
Not entirely sure what to make of this one. It isn’t not enjoyable but isn’t really enjoyable either. It just sort of exists. I think it might work better as a documentary than Little Miss Sunshine 2: Electric Bugaloo. Amy Adams, Emily Blunt and Clifton Collins were all top shelf, but it just feels like a retread.

Knowing … D+
I went in hoping for a Wicker Man / Eagle Eye -esque hilarity and came out mostly disappointed. Alex Proyas never fully committed to being awful (like Neil LaBute might have). There are a couple of well-done disaster special effects scenes, but mostly it was just not very good. If you see any Proyas film about determinism, shadowy gaunt figures and one man who discovers the ‘truth‘, see Dark City.

Role Models … B-
I felt like I should have enjoyed this more than I did. Paul Rudd plus members of The State plus hilarious scene-stealing kid should equal comedy gold. Perhaps my loving hatred of Seann Williams Scott was too powerful or maybe it was just a weak second half of the film.

Burn After Reading … B
I liked this but it isn‘t among the Coen‘s best. It’s quirky and frankly I remember only laughing twice (both courtesy of JK Simmons) but a great cast (Clooney, Pitt, Malkovich, Jenkins, Simmons, McDormand) carried this somewhat pointless movie.

Rachel Getting Married … A-
Anne Hathaway is fantastic as is the supporting cast. Jonathan Demme did a wonderful job too. It might be a bit long (especially during the actual wedding) but it’s very minimalist - lots of long, single-shot takes (one I think lasted about 10min) and the music is all captured live on set. It’s painful to watch (the toast scene specifically) but a great film.

Frozen River … B+
As a whole Frozen River is fairly good, not great but my only real problem with it is the ending - I‘m not sure if I buy it. The film is about a mother of two who can’t get by working the cash register at the Yankee Dollar after her gambling addicted husband runs off with the down payment on their new double-wide a week before Christmas. For a variety of reasons, she ends up getting into smuggling immigrants across a frozen river on the nearby Blackhawk reservation. Regardless of the odd ending, Melissa Leo’s performance is amazingly good.

King of Kong … A-
Heckuva documentary about Donkey Kong champion Billy Mitchell and a guy named Steve Wiebe who challenges him for the record. However, more than being simply a documentary about a video game and a high score it’s the story of an underdog who fights the system. Ultimately I think it works on both levels.

Gone Baby Gone … A-
Wonderful job by both Afflecks. Casey is an unusual choice but probably the right one for this role. Ben demonstrates something that he’s never shown on the other side of the camera (except for Hollywoodland): nuance. Very nice performances from Ed Harris and Amy Ryan also. It dealt with some interesting moral dilemmas too.

Milk … B+
Great performances from Penn and Brolin. Franco and Emile Hirsch were also quite good but for some reason I was annoyed every second Diego Luna was on screen. Van Sant’s direction was solid but I certainly don’t believe it deserved to win for best original screenplay (I give that nod to In Bruges though I have yet to see Happy-Go-Lucky).

The Conversation … A
I’d never seen The Conversation before but you have to add it to the list of great Gene Hackman performances. Written and directed by Francis Ford Coppola, Hackman plays Harry “the best wiretapper on the West Coast“ who tries desperately not to get involved with his targets. After a complicated job, he begins to fear the conversation he recorded could lead to people dying if he gives it to the client. It’s certainly an old school thriller but it’s also a film about Harry’s conscience.

Back in February I talked about re-watching The Verdict. JayRedd said something along the lines of most actors couldn’t dream of touching Paul Newman’s resume. I think you could put Gene Hackman into that category too (I've forgiven him for Welcome to Mooseport).

travmil
04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Burn After Reading … B
I liked this but it isn‘t among the Coen‘s best. It’s quirky and frankly I remember only laughing twice (both courtesy of JK Simmons) but a great cast (Clooney, Pitt, Malkovich, Jenkins, Simmons, McDormand) carried this somewhat pointless movie.

Come on, you didn't laugh when Clooney showed McDormand the creation he had been building for the first time and her reaction to it? My wife and I laughed like crazy when we saw that. I agree that JK Simmons was hilarious, even though he probably had like what, 7 r 8 lines in the whole movie?

avoidingtheclowns
04-21-2009, 02:01 PM
Come on, you didn't laugh when Clooney showed McDormand the creation he had been building for the first time and her reaction to it? My wife and I laughed like crazy when we saw that.

Sure it was funny, and maybe I laughed. I watched it beginning of March so I'm a little fuzzy on specifics. I also remember finding the line Pitt says immediately after the blackmail call quite funny. I guess the point was that I just don't remember laughing out loud that much but still really enjoying this tragicomedy.

I agree that JK Simmons was hilarious, even though he probably had like what, 7 r 8 lines in the whole movie?

And they're all gold.

idioteque
04-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Zero Day, pretty disturbing really.

Someone uploaded the whole thing on Youtube.

Shade
04-22-2009, 10:32 AM
High School Musical 3: Senior Year

Don't ask why. I didn't see the first two, and have no intention of ever seeing the first two.

It was...tolerable. I didn't gouge my eyes out, so that's a bonus. Pretty standard cheesy Disney fare. Not even sure I can rate this one, as it wasn't absolutely unwatchable, but it also wasn't my cup of tea, so relatively speaking, I probably wouldn't give it a "fair" rating.

I borrowed King of Kong from a friend, and am looking forward to watching it.

SycamoreKen
04-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Death Race Better than i thought it would be. My wife actually picked it referring back to the early movie this one was very loosly based on. Nice action and effects stuff. The acting was good too, what little they actually needed.

grace
04-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Sunshine Cleaning Ö C
Not entirely sure what to make of this one. It isnít not enjoyable but isnít really enjoyable either. It just sort f exists. I think it might work better as a documentary than Little Miss Sunshine 2: Electric Bugaloo. Amy Adams, Emily Blunt and Clifton Collins were all top shelf, but it just feels like a retread.

How is cleaning up after dead people a retread?

avoidingtheclowns
04-25-2009, 12:16 AM
How is cleaning up after dead people a retread?

In a way cleaning up after dead people is retreading, no? Remaking something as if new...

I meant 'retread' in the sense that it's trying too hard to be a Little Miss Sunshine sequel of sorts - or at the very least it's more clumsy cousin. As an actual film subject I guess it's less so. There's a Samuel Jackson film called The Cleaner and Tarantino did a film about it too but I'm not coming up with any others.

Suaveness
04-25-2009, 12:54 AM
High School Musical 3: Senior Year

Don't ask why. I didn't see the first two, and have no intention of ever seeing the first two.

It was...tolerable. I didn't gouge my eyes out, so that's a bonus. Pretty standard cheesy Disney fare. Not even sure I can rate this one, as it wasn't absolutely unwatchable, but it also wasn't my cup of tea, so relatively speaking, I probably wouldn't give it a "fair" rating.

I borrowed King of Kong from a friend, and am looking forward to watching it.

I want to know what possessed you to go see that movie.

Shade
04-25-2009, 01:50 AM
I want to know what possessed you to go see that movie.

The one thing that possesses all men to see movies like that.

SoupIsGood
04-25-2009, 05:54 AM
Super Size Me

Damn.

rexnom
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
The one thing that possesses all men to see movies like that.
Alcohol? Massive quantities of mind-numbing alcohol?

Bball
04-25-2009, 03:57 PM
Burn After Reading.

Rousingly "OK". I agree with the above review. Not a Coen best.

Kinda felt like a 3rd rate "Fargo" to me.

-Bball

JayRedd
04-26-2009, 11:49 AM
I went in hoping for a Wicker Man / Eagle Eye -esque hilarity

How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned?

DisplacedKnick
04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned? How'd it get burned?

Wicker Man has to rate in the top ten of an all-time worst film list (I'm talking about mainstream films where there was reason to think it might actually be good). And to think, at one time I like Nick Cage as an actor.

count55
04-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I had seen the original "Wicker Man" with Edward Woodward (of "The Equalizer" fame) maybe about 20 years ago...It was this cult classic, so, what the hell...Anyway, knowing how bizarre the story was, and knowing that Nicolas Cage was, well...Nicolas Cage....suffice it to say, I've given that movie a wide berth.

DisplacedKnick
04-26-2009, 01:20 PM
I had seen the original "Wicker Man" with Edward Woodward (of "The Equalizer" fame) maybe about 20 years ago...It was this cult classic, so, what the hell...Anyway, knowing how bizarre the story was, and knowing that Nicolas Cage was, well...Nicolas Cage....suffice it to say, I've given that movie a wide berth.

It has a high level of unintentional hilarity - sort of like what friends tell me you can find in reading The DaVinci Code.

Trader Joe
04-27-2009, 02:58 AM
God, when the truck just randomly keeps plowing through the kid for no apparent reason. That is comedic gold.

Then the how'd it get burned rant.

Of course punching the lady in the face while wearing the bear costume has to be right up there.

Then of course, "Keep your stupid mask."

Just an amazing comedic performance.

Unclebuck
04-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Nothing but the Truth

Really, really good. Serious movie though without gun shootouts, violence, car chases, or Michael Bay like crazy editing. But really good

avoidingtheclowns
04-28-2009, 12:03 PM
The Ten … B-
I'd call this film half funny. This is another one from David Wain, Ken Marino and Paul Rudd (Role Models, Wet Hot American Summer) and it's a series of ten sketches about each of the ten commandments. The first half is great, brilliant at times (specifically Liev Schreiber in "Covet Thy Neighbors Goods" and Oliver Platt in "Honor Thy Father and Mother"). But as we moved to the second tablet the scenes went from being extremely funny to being either occassionally amusing ("Covet Thy Neighbor's Wife" with Rob Corddry), mostly creepy ("Thou Shall Not Steal") or just irritating ("Bear False Witness" and "Adultry"). Their hamhanded transitions were funny and reasonably subtle at first, but just became irritating towards the end. So if anything, I recommend watching half this movie.

Star Trek ... B+

I don't think anything I've said requires a spoiler tag but if you'd rather not read anything about it, skip this one.

I went to a press screening last night - although the theater was packed with word of mouth fans too (there was a very animated debate going on behind me about whether half-impulse was possible or if it just could only be impulse... I have no idea what that means). For someone who knows very little about the Star Trek universe, I was entertained. Obviously lots of tributes to the original series and plenty of inside jokes as I found fans laughing heartily at places. There was quite a bit of applause when the enterprise was first revealed on screen. But there is plenty of humor for those that only know the dude from Reading Rainbow was on that next generation series with a weird visor. JJ did a fine job. The cast was quite good too, I wasn't sure what to expect from Chris Pine but I thought he did a nice job.

Twes
04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Seven Pounds

The Wrestler

Bball
04-29-2009, 10:47 AM
"The Wrestler"

Acting was great, movie was good. Not great, but good. I didn't see it as being an Oscar worthy movie. Maybe all of the talk and hype had me expecting too much. Plus there was a little too much cliche stuff going on to really call it especially original. The acting alone is what carried it, not necessarily the story.

-Bball

grace
04-29-2009, 01:09 PM
In a way cleaning up after dead people is retreading, no? Remaking something as if new...

I meant 'retread' in the sense that it's trying too hard to be a Little Miss Sunshine sequel of sorts - or at the very least it's more clumsy cousin.

Oh, it helps that I never saw Little Miss Sunshine.

bellisimo
05-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Wolverine

a tad disappointed...was expecting a bit more...everything...felt like a lot of stuff was shown yet not much had happened...it was lacking many things...then again its because i had othe expectations...so i fee like i was let down somewhat...

ilive4sports
05-01-2009, 10:05 PM
Wolverine

a tad disappointed...was expecting a bit more...everything...felt like a lot of stuff was shown yet not much had happened...it was lacking many things...then again its because i had othe expectations...so i fee like i was let down somewhat...

I kind of agree. I just saw it and don't fully know what to think on it. I think it falls in line with the quality of the first X-Men however many years ago that was. Much better than X3 though. I didn't have those expectations you did really cause I didn't know much about the origins. Explains a lot though.

Unclebuck
05-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah I saw X-Man today. It wasn't terrible, it was great. It wasn't very good, it was bad. It was just sort of there - nothing memorable, nothing to draw you into the story. My favorite two characters were actually the old couple

Why so many shots of the claws, and Jackman Flexing - I mean that was probably half the movie.

indytoad
05-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Did anyone else think the metal claws looked really cartoony? Most of the special effects were pretty good but that really stood out. That and the Blob fat suit, which made me wonder if the makeup artists had ever seen a fat person before.

Overall, it was pretty underwhelming. The fight scenes were well executed, but on the whole the movie seemed kinda...half-hearted.

Peck
05-03-2009, 03:15 AM
Saw Wolverine last night.

Honestly I was pleasantly suprised. I went in with very low expectations and it was significantly better than what I thought it would be.

First off this is not for the wine and cheese crowd, this is an action film. So there will be no deep discussions about the meaning of life, etc., etc.

But if you can just set that aside it is actually pretty entertaining.

I never really liked Wolverine as a character but in this movie I liked him and his interactions with Sabertooth.

Of course if you are a fan of the comic then you will probably have some issues with this.

But overall I think this was a decent film.

Shade
05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Apparently, there are multiple "secret endings" to Wolverine, including one with Deadpool where his arm reaches out to his severed head, which "shushes" the audience, breaking the fourth wall. So, Deadpool lives.. The really weird thing, though, is that there are different secret endings on different prints of the film.

bellisimo
05-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Did anyone else think the metal claws looked really cartoony? Most of the special effects were pretty good but that really stood out. That and the Blob fat suit, which made me wonder if the makeup artists had ever seen a fat person before.

Overall, it was pretty underwhelming. The fight scenes were well executed, but on the whole the movie seemed kinda...half-hearted.

that is spot on...thought the claws looked like they came out from Robocop or any other 80s movie really...don't know what happened there.

Bball
05-03-2009, 12:35 PM
"Body of Lies"

Ho hum....
It was OK for a while and I suppose I've seen worse for one of these spy movies but it did seem to drag on. Not sure why Russell Crowe needed to put on several pounds for the role. I'd think a sloppy haircut and dowdy clothes would've accomplished the same thing for his character. ...But then Leo couldn't call him "fat" in the one scene. If the movie was WAY better I could understand packing on some pounds for the role but this was a popcorn flick all the way. Not sure it needed that kind of dedication. Imagine Forrest Whitaker losing 40 lbs for the movie "Vantage Point"... that would be an example of what I mean in something not being necessary for the film.

I didn't need the love story. Especially not one so cliched. Who couldn't see that coming from the moment she made her appearance to what would be happening the rest of the way? Even the twist was pretty predictable when you thought about it. As a matter of fact, once that love interest aspect of the story appeared, that's about where the movie slipped a notch in my opinion.

Acting and production was well done but the writing left something to be desired. For what it ultimately offered it could've stood some more time in the editing room shortening the film. It's a popcorn flick... albeit a popcorn flick that lasts a little too long. It starts with a lot of promise as a popcorn flick but the wheels slowly come off as the movie rolls along.

-Bball

Peck
05-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Apparently, there are multiple "secret endings" to Wolverine, including one with Deadpool where his arm reaches out to his severed head, which "shushes" the audience, breaking the fourth wall. So, Deadpool lives.. The really weird thing, though, is that there are different secret endings on different prints of the film.

Yea, actually there were two segments that came up after the movie was over with. One right after the credits started rolling and then the deadpool part at the very end.

Curse Hollywood for doing that to me. Now I am forced to sit through the dang credits at the end for fear I will miss something.

bellisimo
05-03-2009, 04:46 PM
Yea, actually there were two segments that came up after the movie was over with. One right after the credits started rolling and then the deadpool part at the very end.

Curse Hollywood for doing that to me. Now I am forced to sit through the dang credits at the end for fear I will miss something.

really? @#$@# left the movies while the credits were rolling...damn

nevermind...found the clips online...

watch these only if you have watched the movie.
http://io9.com/5236369/before-you-see-wolverines-secret-origins-watch-his-secret-endings

grace
05-03-2009, 07:49 PM
The Soloist

Eh. I'd already seen something about Nathaniel Ayers on 60 Minutes so I pretty much already knew what was going to happen. I could have done without them taking the time to establish the back story that Robert Downey Jr.'s character sucked at interpersonal relationships. On the other hand, Jamie Foxx is excellent as usual.

Shade
05-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist

Was okay. I was hoping it would be somewhat like Superbad, but it isn't up to par with it.

duke dynamite
05-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Bride Wars

Yes Man - absolutely great.

dustpan
05-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Yes Man -- VERY VERY :laugh::laugh:

JayRedd
05-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Wolverine - 7/10

[A few spoilers about general plot points.]

It was dope. Dude with claws kicks some ***. Rinse and repeat. If that's what you're looking to see, you'll be cool with it.

Sure, there were a few unnecessary characters (did the Blob serve any purpose? He easily could have gotten that info in a different way). And, personally, I would have made the movie differently (cut Blob and shave off 10 minutes otherwise and extend Wolverine/Sabretooth's war days and/or show more of the elite mutant squad misadventures under Striker). But I feel like everyone who's panning this movie is just comparing it to the movie they wanted to see and not actually watching this objectively as the movie that was made. No, it's certainly not anywhere close to X2 or Ironman, but it's got pretty much non-stop fighting and has some truly unique action sequences -- and that's really the main thing you should be looking for when you pay money to go watch a movie about an indestructible 200-year-old man with a make-believe metal fused to his skeleton.

avoidingtheclowns
05-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Angels & Demons ... C-
Is it better than Da Vinci Code? Yes. Does that mean anything? Not really. Very little about the plot makes sense, but it looks good - clearly Ron Howard actually put some thought into the film this time around.

The plot: the entire scavenger hunt with members of the preferati and the anti-matter 'bomb' at the end is pretty ridiculous. Why wouldn't you just blow up the Vatican instead of creating this scavenger hunt only the wickedly lucky Robert Langdon could possibly follow? Also, if you're purpose is just to appear to be the hero (Camerlengo) why use a real anti-matter battery-operated container? As with Da Vinci, everything is too convenient and nothing here could be described as 'subtle'. The group has time to roam around Rome, give lengthy speeches about church history to the conclavers, and even autopsy the recently poisoned pope. Also, the hidden camera twist at the 120 min mark is a total cop out.

Acting / character-wise: Vittoria has little purpose there other than to essentially repeat everything Langdon says so he can respond "Exactly." Hanks is still doing an impression of cardboard. The 75% of the Ewan McGregor storyline was ridiculous.

DrBadd01
05-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Angels & Demons ... C-
Is it better than Da Vinci Code? Yes. Does that mean anything? Not really. Very little about the plot makes sense, but it looks good - clearly Ron Howard actually put some thought into the film this time around.

The plot: the entire scavenger hunt with members of the preferati and the anti-matter 'bomb' at the end is pretty ridiculous. Why wouldn't you just blow up the Vatican instead of creating this scavenger hunt only the wickedly lucky Robert Langdon could possibly follow? Also, if you're purpose is just to appear to be the hero (Camerlengo) why use a real anti-matter battery-operated container? As with Da Vinci, everything is too convenient and nothing here could be described as 'subtle'. The group has time to roam around Rome, give lengthy speeches about church history to the conclavers, and even autopsy the recently poisoned pope. Also, the hidden camera twist at the 120 min mark is a total cop out.

Acting / character-wise: Vittoria has little purpose there other than to essentially repeat everything Langdon says so he can respond "Exactly." Hanks is still doing an impression of cardboard. The 75% of the Ewan McGregor storyline was ridiculous.

I disagree completely. .. . I chose to read the book before seeing the movie today. The film completely ignores vast portions of the Dan Browns story ( not to mention tons of little historical nuggets which makes the book so good). I like The Da Vinci Code movie. It was brainy; movies that make one think are my cup of tea. "Angels and Demons" the film doesn't make you think. It is more concerned with being a summer blockbuster than it is the story that is was based off of.
I obviously won't give up any spoilers but I will say that after Ron Howard's honest attempt to stick to the real story in the Da Vinci code book that this film is its own story entirely. I'm greatly disappointed.

Twes
05-17-2009, 08:56 AM
The Curious Case of too f@#$^&% long.

count55
05-17-2009, 11:40 AM
I disagree completely. .. . I chose to read the book before seeing the movie today. The film completely ignores vast portions of the Dan Browns story ( not to mention tons of little historical nuggets which makes the book so good). I like The Da Vinci Code movie. It was brainy; movies that make one think are my cup of tea. "Angels and Demons" the film doesn't make you think. It is more concerned with being a summer blockbuster than it is the story that is was based off of.
I obviously won't give up any spoilers but I will say that after Ron Howard's honest attempt to stick to the real story in the Da Vinci code book that this film is its own story entirely. I'm greatly disappointed.

Yeah, I've read both DaVinci and A&D, and seen the movie for DaVinci, and I didn't find any of them particularly thought provoking. I thought the books were OK airplane books, but nothing more.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - This has been on my iPod for months, but I finally watched it. There was some funny stuff, but I've reached my saturation point on the guy from HIMYM. Fortunately, some of the surrounding characters were likable, and it's never a bad thing to see Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis get a lot of screen time. I also thought the Aldous Snow character was pretty well drawn and Russell Brand did a good job with it.

The Vampire Musical was a complete non-starter, though.

Unclebuck
05-18-2009, 07:55 AM
State of Play - pretty good - not great though.

Also saw Valkyrie finally saw this movie and really liked it. It seemed a little bit rushed though, especially at the crucial point in the movie. It could have been better. The movie wasn't as good as the subject matter

Major Cold
05-18-2009, 08:56 AM
State of Play - pretty good - not great though.

Also saw Valkyrie finally saw this movie and really liked it. It seemed a little bit rushed though, especially at the crucial point in the movie. It could have been better. The movie wasn't as good as the subject matter

I like Valkyrie but I agree. There were more attempts to assassinate Hitler as well. But I thought it was close to the reality of the situation.

Shade
05-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Punisher: War Zone

This made the first Punisher flick (well, technically the second...well, both, really) look like a Disney flick. Very gory with some creative kill scenes. Pretty over-the-top, with generic villain fare, but an entertaining movie, nonetheless. Pretty much the polar opposite of the Jane flick, which was more story-driven, while this was more about the action and kills. I guess that's really what the Punisher is all about, anyway.

6.5/10

sweabs
05-20-2009, 10:31 PM
Doubt

Really good. I love Streep...she does a great job as always in this film.

Shade
05-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Terminator: Salvation

Pretty good. The special effects are top notch and the acting is solid. It starts off a little slow, but gets more action-oriented toward the finish line.

The main problem is that we were already made privy to most of this story in the early Terminator flicks, so it's more about seeing it unfold on-screen, leaving few surprises to fans of the series.

Also, maybe my memory is a bit off, but the continuity seems a bit wonky in this film.
Why is Kyle Reece so young? Why is John Conner constantly surprised by stuff like the revelation of the T-800 that he should be very familiar with at this point?

8/10

sweabs
05-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Glory Road

Pretty good, I suppose.

Shade
05-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Hulk vs. Wolverine

Animated flick. It was decent, good voice actor for Wolverine, the others were decent. Deadpool was funny. I hated the cop-out ending, though.

6/10

Shade
05-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Hulk vs. Thor

Another animated flick. Thought the story and animation was a little better than in the Wolverine one. I found it humorous that they blatantly ripped off some of the dialogue of the famous Optimus Prime/Megatron battle from the '86 animated movie. I am one of maybe a handful of people that will notice that.

6.5/10

Unclebuck
05-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Doubt I really, really liked this movie. 4 great performances by the 4 main actors. I can see why each was nominated for an Oscar. The movie really made me think - but not all that much about did he do it or didn't he do it - I figured that was going to be the whole movie - but really it was about sooo much more.

I was never bored once during this movie

indygeezer
05-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Angels and Demons........I liked it but would put it on the level of National Treasure for entertainment/intellectual level. The parachute was very UNbelievable as was much of this production. Geezer Jr and I saw this together....he loved it.

Star Trek......the wife and I really enjoyed but much of the humor was lost on Geezerette who has NEVER seen 1 episode or movie involving the original cast. She kept wondering where Capt. Pickard was. Geezer Jr. loved it....but he loves ANY movie.

Saw them both on Sunday.

duke dynamite
05-26-2009, 11:17 AM

Pretty good. The special effects are top notch and the acting is solid. It starts off a little slow, but gets more action-oriented toward the finish line.

The main problem is that we were already made privy to most of this story in the early Terminator flicks, so it's more about seeing it unfold on-screen, leaving few surprises to fans of the series.

Also, maybe my memory is a bit off, but the continuity seems a bit wonky in this film.
Why is Kyle Reece so young? Why is John Conner constantly surprised by stuff like the revelation of the T-800 that he should be very familiar with at this point?

8/10
I would give it a better rating, maybe an 8.5 or a 9. It was really good, and it gave the fans finally a long look into the story's future. This is something I've wanted to see all along.

Pig Nash
05-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Doubt 4/5

Annie Hall 4/5

Manhattan 5/5

N8R
05-29-2009, 02:29 AM
Special

Never heard of it until i searched for movies in 2007 and imdb gave it over a 7/10. i really liked it. Check it out.

duke dynamite
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Leatherheads 8.5/10

Finally saw it. It was very good. It had some very funny parts to it as well.

However, Renee Zellweger's part could've been played by anyone. That includes Shade or a chimp.

jeffg-body
05-31-2009, 12:38 AM
Blackhawk Down- This is not a good movie to watch for Veterans who were deployed to Somalia. Just wanted to warn anyone out there like me.

Unclebuck
05-31-2009, 10:30 PM

8/10

I didn't like it at all - horrible dialogue. I will say the final 1/3 of the movie was better than the first 2/3, but still.

Edit - actually the more I consider this movie the less and less I like it. I found myself several times during the movie chuckling to myself and not in a good way. At no point in time did I give a hoot about what I was watching - except that I was sooo glad it was over. I guess I hated it. How about a story next time - oh please don't be another Terminator movie - please - I'll watch the 1983 version for the 10th time before I watch another one of these -

Shade
06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
Up

Excellent flick. I had heard how funny it was, but the "sub-story" actually made me tear up a couple of times. Well written, well animated, and in 3D. What more could you want?

8.5/10

Pig Nash
06-04-2009, 10:32 PM
Donnie Darko - 4/5

Liked it. Probably warrants a second viewing.

Shade
06-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Donnie Darko is amazing. I still need to see the sequel just to see how they pulled it off.

Shade
06-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Land of the Lost (2009)

Better than I thought it would be, though that's not saying much. Cheesy and over-the-top, but what Will Ferrell movie isn't? Had some pretty funny parts.

7/10