PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

rexnom
12-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Reservoir Dogs - Thought it was pretty good, but I feel that Tarantino is pretty overrated. Looking at the IMDB TOp 250, I don't think it deserves to be ranked as high as 68.

The Departed - Fourth time I've seen this movie, and it's one of my favorites. The performances are amazing, especially DiCaprio's. You really feel the amount of stress he goes under when he's an undercover.
I think that of those two films, Reservoir Dogs is easily the better one.

Hicks
12-15-2008, 06:53 PM
Personally, I enjoy the Departed more. RD just doesn't do it for me. Probably didn't help that I was disturbed by the torture scene, and that was the strongest emotion I felt the entire time, by far.

Natston
12-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Personally, I enjoy the Departed more. RD just doesn't do it for me.

Couldn't agree more. I thought The Departed was truly a great movie but it went down a notch or two when I found out that it was practically a direct copy of another movie. RD is okay but nothing special.

JayRedd
12-15-2008, 09:27 PM
I think that of those two films, Reservoir Dogs is easily the better one.

Yup. And it's not remotey close in my world.

Unclebuck
12-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Wow 35 reviews and all positive. I saw the trailer to the Wrestler last week and it looks good. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_wrestler/

avoidingtheclowns
12-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Yup. And it's not remotey close in my world.

maybe. maybe not. maybe **** yourself.

rexnom
12-16-2008, 01:48 AM
maybe. maybe not. maybe **** yourself.
Listen kid, I'm not gonna bull**** you, all right? I don't give a good **** what you know, or don't know, but I'm gonna torture you anyway, regardless.

Suaveness
12-18-2008, 03:06 AM
Wall-E- I swear the cutest movie ever

N8R
12-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Wild Child

Went in with low expectations and it did not disappoint. What a load of absolute garbage. It was very predictable and just nothing new. Total waste of my time.

DisplacedKnick
12-19-2008, 08:54 PM
I managed to get through the 1st hour of Transiberian before I shut it off. Maybe the last hour is spectacular but the 1st hour completely sucked - and by the time they got back on the train I wanted all the main characters to be dead.

Peck
12-20-2008, 02:44 AM
I managed to get through the 1st hour of Transiberian before I shut it off. Maybe the last hour is spectacular but the 1st hour completely sucked - and by the time they got back on the train I wanted all the main characters to be dead.

Actually yes the secon half of the movie was better than the first. Neither half of the movie was great or even good. However it was not the worst film I have ever seen either.

If you didn't see the second half I don't want to spoil it for you in case you watch it again. But it was nice to see that not everything was as cut and dried as you might think it would have been.

DisplacedKnick
12-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Did finish the 2nd half - was better than the start though still not good. I had it pegged except for 1 thing.

I figured Woody missed the train on purpose to meet up with Ben Kingsley and he was in on the drug deal and part of the story was going to be how he got in over his head

Just watched Feast of Love - not sure how I missed it when it came out since I really like Morgan Freeman. Wasn't bad - there were a few times I thought the dialogue was a bit forced and the Director could have gotten something better. Good stories though and they did a nice job developing the characters. Lot of sex - maybe more than they needed though I didn't complain. The nekked people were pretty photogenic.

JayRedd
12-21-2008, 12:11 AM
Charlie Wilson's War - 8/10

Delightful.

PSH owned it. Even though I'd heard it in the previews, the "You're no James Bond" follow up of "Well, you're no Thomas Jefferson...so let's call it even" was oh-so-perfection.

Pig Nash
12-21-2008, 02:06 AM
I really liked that one too Jay.

N8R
12-21-2008, 02:30 AM
Seven Pounds

Wasnt sure what this movie was about going into it but they laid out too much about what happens too soon. I had the movie figure out in the first 30 minutes and the rest was just was I was expecting one scene after the next. It was good for a watch but much too predictable.

N8R
12-21-2008, 06:01 AM
The Day The Earth Stood Still 2008

Not bad. I remember the first one being better than this. Just didnt really add anything new to the original except some effects that were cool. Not really worth it.

N8R
12-21-2008, 07:47 AM
Ping Pong Playa

What can I say.

N8R
12-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Hamlet 2

I didn't really know what this movie was going to be about when I started it. Turns out it is about the making of a fictitious play called, oddly enough, Hamlet 2. It is a controversy around the town and the struggle to get it made. I enjoyed this movie about as much as I expected. Not blown away by it but I did find myself laughing, crying, screaming, laughing again, then anger, then more laughter, some confusion, more laughter and finally satisfaction, followed by laughter.

N8R
12-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Traitor

I could see the main story line from early on and a portion of the ending as well. Movie are too predictable these days and it is starting to bother me.

SycamoreKen
12-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Fred Clause

It was amussing.

JayRedd
12-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Sunshine - 2/10

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever under any circumstances watch this movie. Wow. It's soooo good for an hour and then becomes maybe the worst movie I've ever seen. That's not even an exaggeration. Danny Boyle just shat all over the bed on this historic disaster. I was legitimately angry for the final half-hour.

Unclebuck
12-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Traitor

I could see the main story line from early on and a portion of the ending as well. Movie are too predictable these days and it is starting to bother me.

I like it though. predictable I guess, but well done

N8R
12-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah it was well done, I have just been seeing a lot of predictable movies lately and it bothered me.

Suaveness
12-23-2008, 01:29 AM
Traitor

Maybe you should take a break

Hicks
12-23-2008, 01:50 AM
The Dark Knight sucked. I totally saw it coming that the Joker would fail. ;)

DisplacedKnick
12-23-2008, 06:47 AM
Watched Running Scared last night. Hadn't seen it in a while - still good.

sweabs
12-23-2008, 07:44 PM
Conspiracy.

It was frightening - in a way that no horror movie could ever think of matching.

JayRedd
12-23-2008, 09:42 PM
Watched Charlie Wilson's War again this afternoon. So much greatness. The entire sequence where Charlie and Gust meet in his office is one of the greatest things in cinematic history.

Charlie Wilson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000158/): What's the gift for?
Gust Avrakotos (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/): It's from the Afghan desk for doubling the budget for the Mujahadeen.
Charlie Wilson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000158/): Well, thank you.
Gust Avrakotos (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/): It was nothing.
Charlie Wilson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000158/): It's a nice bottle of scotch. Must have been hard to get.
Gust Avrakotos (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/): No, doubling the budget was nothing. Ten million dollars for covert ops against the Russian army is meaningless. What are you, an infant?

rexnom
12-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Watched Charlie Wilson's War again this afternoon. So much greatness. The entire sequence where Charlie and Gust meet in his office is one of the greatest things in cinematic history.

Charlie Wilson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000158/): What's the gift for?
Gust Avrakotos (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/): It's from the Afghan desk for doubling the budget for the Mujahadeen.
Charlie Wilson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000158/): Well, thank you.
Gust Avrakotos (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/): It was nothing.
Charlie Wilson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000158/): It's a nice bottle of scotch. Must have been hard to get.
Gust Avrakotos (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/): No, doubling the budget was nothing. Ten million dollars for covert ops against the Russian army is meaningless. What are you, an infant?
:laugh:
PSH was amazing in that movie (of course) and I think it's just a really solid movie.

N8R
12-24-2008, 05:13 AM
The Day The Earth Stood Still 1951

Better than the remake. Sure the effects are laughable by todays standards but that is part of the fun. I thought I had seen this once before I am still convinced I have at least seen part because I knew some of the movie but I didn't remember 99% of it. Only that Gort shut down all electronics except for hospitals and airplanes in flight.

DisplacedKnick
12-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Last night I was in the mood for completely mindless visual entertainment that would require nothing from me as far as understanding plot, context or theme.

So I rented the most recent Mummy movie and sat through completely mindless visual entertainment that required nothing from me, the viewer.

The big question is why I felt the need to watch something like that after the 2nd day of a stress-free 3-day week. I think things were so slow that by the end of the day yesterday I had become partially comatose.

Unclebuck
12-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Last night I was in the mood for completely mindless visual entertainment that would require nothing from me as far as understanding plot, context or theme.

So I rented the most recent Mummy movie and sat through completely mindless visual entertainment that required nothing from me, the viewer.

The big question is why I felt the need to watch something like that after the 2nd day of a stress-free 3-day week. I think things were so slow that by the end of the day yesterday I had become partially comatose.

That movie will only prolong your coma - you might miss Christmas

DisplacedKnick
12-24-2008, 09:29 AM
That movie will only prolong your coma - you might miss Christmas

Hey the movie did what it was supposed to - let me sit in front of the TV for 2 hours with drool running down my chin while I ate chips and salsa and could point at the screen every few minutes and mumble, "Oooh - dead people," or "Cool - avalanche." (of course the movie was only an hour-and-a-half so the last 30 minutes of "Cool - avalanche" was just snow on the screen).

I think tonight I'll make a try at rejoining the living.

duke dynamite
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Made

Suaveness
12-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Ice Age

Stryder
12-24-2008, 12:54 PM
The Seven Year Itch

Some Like It Hot

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Irma La Douce

Hicks
12-24-2008, 01:11 PM
I wanted to plan a day soon to see, "Let the Right One In," but, apparently, it has come and gone from that theater in the Keystone Mall in the matter of a week or so. Guess I'll have to wait for DVD/BD.

Suaveness
12-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Major League

sweabs
12-25-2008, 02:07 AM
Gia

Skaut_Ech
12-25-2008, 09:17 AM
Rendition (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804522/)

A feel good, fun for all movie about waterboarding for the whole family!

count55
12-25-2008, 07:40 PM
The Dark Knight - I liked it. It was enjoyable, though I have a hard time buying Maggie Gyllenhaal as a romantic lead. I'm not a huge superhero guy, so I didn't find it to be earth shattering, but it was enjoyable. I can understand JR's comments on its shortfalls, and it's reach certainly did exceed its grasp. However, while "Iron Man" did more fully reach it's objective, "The Dark Knight" was still a better movie. "Iron Man" was a throw away action/adventure flick, and that's what it was trying to be. Entertaining, but not much more. "The Dark Knight" and its creators did have delusions of grandeur that they did not attain, but the product was still better than "Iron Man".

Tropic Thunder - Not a classic by any stretch of the imagination, but I really enjoyed the movie. I laughed out loud several times. It may be one of those movies that I was just in the mood to see, and I'll like it less on future viewings, but it was better than I expected.

Currently watching "Wall-E"...kinda slow at the moment.

I also have "Burn After Reading" that I started watching, but wasn't in the mood for (so I watched "Tropic Thunder", instead). I'll probably watch this tonight.

Mourning
12-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Rendition (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0804522/)

A feel good, fun for all movie about waterboarding for the whole family!

:spitout: :lol:

Hoop
12-26-2008, 08:37 PM
Gran Torino - Excellent Movie!

I'm a big Clint Eastwood fan, it's probably not his best work, but I hope at age 78 he gets his first Oscar as an actor.

indytoad
12-26-2008, 09:21 PM
Tropic Thunder - Not a classic by any stretch of the imagination, but I really enjoyed the movie. I laughed out loud several times. It may be one of those movies that I was just in the mood to see, and I'll like it less on future viewings, but it was better than I expected.

I normally wouldn't suggest this, but if you get a hankerin' to watch it a second time, do so with the cast commentary on. Robert Downey Jr. does the whole commentary in-character - it's hilarious. Almost as funny as the movie itself.

sweabs
12-26-2008, 11:00 PM
Cloverfield

count55
12-27-2008, 09:33 AM
I normally wouldn't suggest this, but if you get a hankerin' to watch it a second time, do so with the cast commentary on. Robert Downey Jr. does the whole commentary in-character - it's hilarious. Almost as funny as the movie itself.

I might try it. I rented it from iTunes, so there was no commentary.

I actually like watching commentaries, so I'm good with that.

Wu-Gambino
12-27-2008, 04:40 PM
The Day The Earth Stood Still 1951

Better than the remake. Sure the effects are laughable by todays standards but that is part of the fun. I thought I had seen this once before I am still convinced I have at least seen part because I knew some of the movie but I didn't remember 99% of it. Only that Gort shut down all electronics except for hospitals and airplanes in flight.

Yeah, I saw the remake last night (I haven't seen the original), and I thought it sucked. The movie was too slow, and the character development was pretty bad.

Hicks
12-27-2008, 05:11 PM
The Matrix

Mourning
12-27-2008, 08:14 PM
El Lobo. Good movie about the earlier days of the Basque terrorist organisation ETA in the 70's. Spanish movie. Definitely recommended.

I thought Sunshine was pretty good btw, JR. Particularly loved the music and images during the whole movie. The latter part of the movie wasn't the strongest part I agree with that, but I thought the last 5-10 min were pretty good though.

Skaut_Ech
12-27-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow. Just saw "Doubt." I amgine it's not going to do great box office, due to it's subject matter, but, phew....gets the old noggin going. Very, good film. (And yes, there are some nitpicking stuff I didn't like, but overall, pretty strong stuff. Made me think of Oleanna, another play made into a movie that I really liked.)

Shade
12-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Yes Man

Not a bad movie at all. I'd place this in the second tier of Jim Carrey flicks. Not quite up there with the Ace Venturas, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, or Bruce Almighty, but on par with the likes of, say, Liar Liar.

Shade
12-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare

Pretty damn bad movie, though ironically, one of Robert Englund's very best performances.

JayRedd
12-27-2008, 11:09 PM
My Cousin Vinny - 9/10

This one ages like wine and is still just as great on the 84th viewing. Definitely near the top of the Most Underrated Flicks list.

count55
12-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Yes Man

Not a bad movie at all. I'd place this in the second tier of Jim Carrey flicks. Not quite up there with the Ace Venturas, The Mask, Dumb and Dumber, or Bruce Almighty, but on par with the likes of, say, Liar Liar.

I liked Liar, Liar better than all of the ones you listed before that. The Mask and Dumb and Dumber bored me to tears.

JayRedd
12-27-2008, 11:42 PM
Dumb and Dumber bored me to tears.

You're dead to me.

Suaveness
12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
My Cousin Vinny - 9/10

This one ages like wine and is still just as great on the 84th viewing. Definitely near the top of the Most Underrated Flicks list.

I love this movie. Yuutes?

Mourning
12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
You're dead to me.

Seconded. Dumb and Dumber was superb in the comedy genre. You might not find the jokes or plot (what plot?) very intelligent, but that's not what it's about with this type of humour IMO.

Shade
12-28-2008, 12:43 AM
I honestly didn't care much for D&D after my first viewing. I decided to watch it again, though, and was hooked after the second time. I'm actually thinking about buying the Blu-Ray of it this week.

Hicks
12-28-2008, 12:47 AM
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions

I actually liked them a little better this time around.

cgg
12-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Yes Man

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it.

travmil
12-28-2008, 03:02 PM
Dumb and Dumber is a comedy classic. Saying you don't like that movie is like saying you don't like Blazing Saddles.

count55
12-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Dumb and Dumber is a comedy classic. Saying you don't like that movie is like saying you don't like Blazing Saddles.

No, it's really not.

Blazing Saddles is funny. Dumb and Dumber is boring.

N8R
12-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Religulous

Wow did I ever like this movie. Just a great job of showing the craziness that goes into religion and what people believe. It is a documentary in the same vein as a Michael Moore film in that he is pushing his own agenda but I already agree with just about everything he said and it was cool to see it unfold. Best movie I have seen in ages.

Hicks
12-28-2008, 05:04 PM
I've been meaning to catch Religulous. Is it available to rent yet?

N8R
12-28-2008, 05:06 PM
I dont think so. I got an early copy via internet. I had been waiting for months to see it.

idioteque
12-28-2008, 05:34 PM
Bought Planet Terror on DVD today, love it.

I didn't really like Religilous. I mean, it's just Bill Maher highlighting an orthodoxy whose orthodoxy is making fun of everyone else's orthodoxy. The only thing I took from it is that we're all crazy in some shape or form, and I don't think that's what Bill intended, but hey.

indytoad
12-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Valkyrie. Excellent movie (as expected from Bryan Singer). I don't know what all the negative press is about.

JayRedd
12-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Disturbia - 6/10

Caught this on a bus cause I was too tired to read a book and was expecting utter trash -- especially since it's basically just a *******ized Rear Window. But it was actually very engaging, well structured/paced and relatively suspenseful, even if the entire final 20 minutes are completely over the top and absurd. More importantly, Shia continues to surprise me with his ability to not come off as a douchebag and/or dunce and that broad is a fox. Sorta looking forward to Transformers 2 now for another winning combination of those two things.

jeffg-body
12-28-2008, 10:58 PM
I just finished watching old school with Will Ferrell. Pretty funny movie if you like that kind of comedy.

SoupIsGood
12-29-2008, 12:36 AM
I too think Liar, Liar is in the top tier of Carrey movies (D&D was great though).

DisplacedKnick
12-29-2008, 06:43 AM
I just finished watching old school with Will Ferrell. Pretty funny movie if you like that kind of comedy.

Once you hit 40 it becomes rather disturbing.

Natston
12-29-2008, 09:16 AM

I love Dumb and Dumber, and I hate Blazing Saddles... :hmm:

Suaveness
12-29-2008, 01:07 PM

Well I don't really care for D and D but I love Blazing Saddles.

Major Cold
12-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Valkyrie. Excellent movie (as expected from Bryan Singer). I don't know what all the negative press is about.

Cause people were expecting Bond meets Saving Private Ryan.

I went for the history of the movie. It was no der untergang, but it was intriguing.

JayRedd
12-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Little Children - 8/10

This is a slow, dialogue-driven movie from In the Bedroom director Todd Field about the doldrums of passionless life in suburban America, focusing on the interacting lives of a stay-at-home mom, a stay-at-home dad, a careerless shamed police officer and a pedophile.

The whole thing follows a fairly predictable plot line (some of which is Crash-level cornball), but most of the sequential developments of the story aren't really the point. The story is more told through the reactionary shots, body language and awkward character interactions in response to the dialogue/events that occur throughout -- something that the director and the acting performances craft into a riveting and clever exposition on this topic.

One other interesting notes it the narration device that Field uses often throughout, something that is stand-out for the wry/ironic, half nature-documentary/half-NFL Films feel it adds to the film.

A lot of people won't like this movie at all, but I thought it was a very, very well made one.

SoupIsGood
12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Marley and me

So bad

Bball
12-29-2008, 11:25 PM
WALL-E

N8R
12-30-2008, 05:11 AM
50 First Dates

It has its moments.

N8R
12-30-2008, 05:11 AM
Click

I still enjoy this one. It has some humour but also is pretty sad. A few moments that tug at the old heart strings.

Bball
12-30-2008, 06:18 AM
"Who Killed the Electric Car"

I found it interesting although I wonder how much manipulation was involved in its telling of 'facts'?

I did find it interesting the cars were destroyed rather than sold 'as-is' when they decided not to allow renewals of the leases.

JayRedd
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM
The Savages - 9/10

Spectacular.

I think Philip Seymour Hoffman ranks behind only behind Bogey, Paul Newman, Morgan Freeman, Vince Vaughn, Jack, Bobby De Niro, Paul Rudd, Ben Kingsley, Bruce Willis, Robert Redford, Sam Jack and Tim Robbins on my favorite actors list.

He's certainly borderline Top 10 depending on the day.

Shade
12-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Marley and me

So bad

I heard about what happens at the end. Kind of surprising.

Skaut_Ech
12-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Little Children - 8/10

This is a slow, dialogue-driven movie from In the Bedroom director Todd Field about the doldrums of passionless life in suburban America, focusing on the interacting lives of a stay-at-home mom, a stay-at-home dad, a careerless shamed police officer and a pedophile.

The whole thing follows a fairly predictable plot line (some of which is Crash-level cornball), but most of the sequential developments of the story aren't really the point. The story is more told through the reactionary shots, body language and awkward character interactions in response to the dialogue/events that occur throughout -- something that the director and the acting performances craft into a riveting and clever exposition on this topic.

One other interesting notes it the narration device that Field uses often throughout, something that is stand-out for the wry/ironic, half nature-documentary/half-NFL Films feel it adds to the film.

A lot of people won't like this movie at all, but I thought it was a very, very well made one.

I LOVED that movie, Jay. Of course, the average viewer's thoughts will stick with Jackie Earle Haley's performance simply because it's so provocative, but it really was an outstanding, overlooked performance.

Along that same vein, I've been meaning to rewatch Happiness by Todd Solonz. Have you seen it? Another movie with a pretty well thought out look into the mind of a pedophile.

I think Philip Seymour Hoffman ranks behind only behind Bogey, Paul Newman, Morgan Freeman, Vince Vaughn, Jack, Bobby De Niro, Paul Rudd, Ben Kingsley, Bruce Willis, Robert Redford, Sam Jack and Tim Robbins on my favorite actors list.

Rudd? Really? Huh.

I worship Seymour Hoffman. I think he has more acting range than ANYONE in Hollywood right now. I've liked some Bruce Willis stuff, but I think he is so overrated, sometimes I have a problem watching him.

Vince Vaughn drives me insane. I want him to be in something really good again. I'd like to see him take a career path similar to what Bill Murray has done of late.

N8R
12-31-2008, 06:07 AM
Anchorman

Still very funny and great.

N8R
12-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Talladega Nights

Another good Ferrell movie. Not in my list of favourite Ferrell movies but I enjoy it nonetheless.

sweabs
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
There Will Be Blood

I loved it. Great, great storytelling. Sad and ironic - enjoyed it thoroughly.

Peck
12-31-2008, 01:30 PM
The Savages - 9/10

Spectacular.

He's certainly borderline Top 10 depending on the day.

I just can not get past him as Dusty in the movie twister.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LnON-J8HHaE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LnON-J8HHaE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JayRedd
12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
Along that same vein, I've been meaning to rewatch Happiness by Todd Solonz. Have you seen it? Another movie with a pretty well thought out look into the mind of a pedophile.

Nope.

Rudd? Really? Huh.More of an idol than a "favorite actor," but yeah.

I've liked some Bruce Willis stuff, but I think he is so overrated, sometimes I have a problem watching him.

I certainly don't think he's a good actor, I just really like the way he plays Bruce Willis so well in every movie. Probably the coolest dude in America.

Vince Vaughn drives me insane. I want him to be in something really good again. I'd like to see him take a career path similar to what Bill Murray has done of late.

My complete and unwavering love of Vince became undeniable at the point when his sheer comedic brilliance tricked me into watching -- and thoroughly enjoying -- The Breakup at least six times. Just saw Made for the first time in years last week, too, and, yeah, he's a genius.

I just can not get past him as Dusty in the movie twister.

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LnON-J8HHaE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Your first problem was watching Twister.

sweabs
12-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Away From Her

Depressing at times...but makes you smile at others.

SoupIsGood
12-31-2008, 07:38 PM
Benjamin Button

Yeargh. Really bad.

count55
12-31-2008, 07:54 PM
Bolt in Disney Digital 3-D

It was a kid's flick, OK premise, you'll like it if you like dogs, but...

The 3-D effects were astounding.

DisplacedKnick
01-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Watched Hellboy 2 the other day - was better than I expected. A bit more plot and texture. Not bad.

Unclebuck
01-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Benjamin Button

Yeargh. Really bad.

How so, I haven't seen it yet, but it looks interesting.

SoupIsGood
01-01-2009, 10:17 AM
Well, a lot of people love it, so you'll probably disagree w/ me. But for me it suffered from really bad writing, structurally. A lot of things are just thrown in haphazardly in order to develop a theme that comes off hackneyed and trite. (They try to send this "live your life" message despite the fact that nothing in the movie [plot, character] was about that.) It's like the writer said to himself, "Okay, if we just spend 15 minutes on this thing, that'll totally set the theme/mood! We won't even have to make it relevant to the story!" Also, it suffered from the same problem as Marley and Me, in that the movie comes off as one extended highlight reel of one person's life with no extended scenes or fully-plumbed drama, but rather 10-minute scene after 10-minute scene that does nothing but show the next thing that happened in this person's life. (Where's the conflict, the point? Why does this just feel like a biography? Although BB didn't miss the mark here quite as much as MM.)

BTW, UB, I know what you mean. I really wanted to love this movie; it looked great. I had even hyped it up to all my friends/family. Yeargh.

Unclebuck
01-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Well, a lot of people love it, so you'll probably disagree w/ me. But for me it suffered from really bad writing, structurally. A lot of things are just thrown in haphazardly in order to develop a theme that comes off hackneyed and trite. (They try to send this "live your life" message despite the fact that nothing in the movie [plot, character] was about that.) It's like the writer said to himself, "Okay, if we just spend 15 minutes on this thing, that'll totally set the theme/mood! We won't even have to make it relevant to the story!" Also, it suffered from the same problem as Marley and Me, in that the movie comes off as one extended highlight reel of one person's life with no extended scenes or fully-plumbed drama, but rather 10-minute scene after 10-minute scene that does nothing but show the next thing that happened in this person's life. (Where's the conflict, the point? Why does this just feel like a biography? Although BB didn't miss the mark here quite as much as MM.)

BTW, UB, I know what you mean. I really wanted to love this movie; it looked great. I had even hyped it up to all my friends/family. Yeargh.

Thanks - I might wait for the DVD

sweabs
01-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Thank You, Mr. President

Interesting little flick on Helen Thomas.

DisplacedKnick
01-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Watched Open Window. For me this movies had "almost" written all over it. There was almost enough tension, it almost moved fast enough (it was never going to move fast, not that kind of story but it was downright somnolescent at times) and I liked using therapists to reveal what the couple couldn't tell each other. But it just missed for me for some reason - couldn't tell you why. I had empathy for the characters and everything. Maybe I was in the wrong mood for it or something. The cornball ending didn't help either.

Dunno why I didn't like it - script seemed solid, acting was good, can't point at anything in direction. Just wasn't quite compelling enough or something. It was almost good.

JayRedd
01-01-2009, 08:07 PM
State of Grace - 8/10

I'd never even heard of this until it came on IFC today. It's about an Irish crime family in Hell's Kitchen, New York, and features some stellar performance from Sean Penn, Ed Harris and, particularly, Gary Oldman, whose character here might now be my favorite of his aside from Drexl Spivey in True Romance. It has a lot of the common gangster flick themes going on, but is really just a very solid film all-around. Maybe I'm out of the loop and just hadn't heard about it, but I'm surprised it doesn't get more play -- especially from the Boondock Saints and The Departed fans. Must have just fell through the cracks, I guess. Either way, just an all-star cast who are firing on all cylinders along with an intriguing story. Great ending, too. Meanwhile, I forgot how much of a fox Robin Wright Penn is. I'm thinking this film is where they met.

Bottle Rocket - 8/10

Still my favorite Wes Anderson joint.

JayRedd
01-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank You, Mr. President

Interesting little flick on Helen Thomas.

I rather enjoyed that.

She's badass.

sweabs
01-02-2009, 12:03 AM
She's awesome. I also just finished watching A Bee Movie. I saw it in theatres to begin with but enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

Key Chain!

Peck
01-02-2009, 01:19 AM
I rather enjoyed that.

She's badass.

As a film, or documentry, it was fine.

The content of the film was both disturbing and reaffirming to me at the same time.

N8R
01-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Bee Movie

KEY CHAIN!!!!

DisplacedKnick
01-03-2009, 08:50 AM
Enemy of the State - picked up the DVD yesterday to replace my VHS. It's an extended version and for the most part you can see why they cut what they did for the theatrical. Jack Black has a Nanny monologue that's just 2 lines in the theatrical version and gives the same message. Unfortunately, the DVD doesn't give a theatrical/extended choice. Guess I'll have to live with it.

Really like this movie - this is where Will Smith excels - in a role where he can give quick back-and-forth dialogue.

N8R
01-04-2009, 05:42 AM
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I kind of went in thinking I wouldn't like it after reading the reviews from the other PDers so my mind was wide open. I liked it more than I thought I would. It is much too long but I couldn't really predict the movie so I enjoyed that aspect. I wouldn't call it one of the best movies of 08 though.

Also sweabs when you watch the movie there are two audio tracks. at the mid point of the movie the audio cuts out and you have to switch to Track Two. I use VLC to watch movies and I can just select it from a menu. Don't know which program you use though.

Erik
01-04-2009, 09:08 AM
7 Pounds Pretty predictable, but still somewhat enjoyable. I'd wait for the DVD.

N8R
01-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Slumdog Millionaire

All I heard about this movie was that it was good. I didn't know what the plot was going to be, where it was going to take place or that there would be a sweet dance number after the movie while the credits were getting started. Turns out it is about an Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and the story behind how the main character Jamal knows the answers. A very different style of telling a story and I was thoroughly entertained.

JayRedd
01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Doubt - 9/10

Impeccable on all counts. Meryl Streep will soon have her third gold statue. Just see it.

Capote - 8/10

My PSH mission continues and, yup, he's indeed pretty good here too. I had actually seen Infamous already about a year ago (which is inexplicably the exact same movie and came out about six months after this one) and I was really wondering how Hoffman could actually put together a better Truman Capote than Toby Jones did. But it soons becomes incredible clear that, while Toby did a much better impression of Capote, PSH had a much better depth of character whose descent into a shell of a man was borderline frightening.

Unclebuck
01-04-2009, 09:33 PM

Really liked it. Completely unique movie, very memorable. sure a little long, but very effective. Not great. but I was never bored. I think it is probably most comparable to Forrest Gump and that was a better movie. But the aging backwards thing was facinating to me

Overal I certainly liked Slumdog Millionaire more

N8R
01-05-2009, 05:33 AM
Four Christmases

It was alright. Nothing too special. Pretty predictable for the most part.

N8R
01-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Bangkok Dangerous

The Nicolas Cage version. It was alright. There seemed to be parts of the movie that didnt really tie into the rest of it. Interesting ending though, didnt really see it coming. Cage looked like a fool with the long hair he had.

D23
01-05-2009, 10:53 AM
I watched Defiance, with Daniel Craig, last night. Pretty good show, maybe not on the level as some of the other war movies like Saving Private Ryan, but worth seeing.

N8R
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Bolt

A very good family film. I enjoyed it.

Doug
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Iron Man

Finally got a chance to see it. I liked it a lot. I liked it better than...

The Dark Knight

Dang good movie, but if I was going to watch one of the two again, it would be Iron Man. It was definitely intense from beginning to end. I was a little worried that it would be too intense for my 11 year old son, but the only side effect seems to be a new habit of flipping a coin when he needs to make decisions. (true)

Dab
01-05-2009, 06:29 PM
The Wrestler

It lives up to the hype, and Mickey Rourke's performance is certainly oscar-nomination-worthy. However, it's slow-moving and depressing as hell.

SoupIsGood
01-06-2009, 02:23 AM

Really liked it. Completely unique movie, very memorable. sure a little long, but very effective. Not great. but I was never bored. I think it is probably most comparable to Forrest Gump and that was a better movie. But the aging backwards thing was facinating to me

Overal I certainly liked Slumdog Millionaire more

UB, earlier I meant to add that you would probably like it if you liked Gump, because as I was watching the movie I realized it irritated me in all the same ways that Gump did. And then I found out the same dude wrote it.

I think that's gonna be my line on the movie: If you like Gump, you'll like Button. And most people loved Gump, so I'm probably pretty alone on this one.

N8R
01-06-2009, 10:48 AM
The Wrestler

I agree with Dabney's statement. I enjoyed it a lot and it was good to see another movie that I really didnt know what was going to happen. The ending left me wanting more.

Hoop
01-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Enemy of the State - picked up the DVD yesterday to replace my VHS. It's an extended version and for the most part you can see why they cut what they did for the theatrical. Jack Black has a Nanny monologue that's just 2 lines in the theatrical version and gives the same message. Unfortunately, the DVD doesn't give a theatrical/extended choice. Guess I'll have to live with it.

Really like this movie - this is where Will Smith excels - in a role where he can give quick back-and-forth dialogue.
Great movie, it still holds up well ten years later, maybe more relevant today.

avoidingtheclowns
01-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Little Children - 8/10

what, no one took the "JayRedd" "Little Children" softball? you people should be ashamed of yourselves.

Doubt - 9/10

Impeccable on all counts. Meryl Streep will soon have her third gold statue. Just see it.

saw it a couple weeks ago. i'd give it a B+.

very good performances from the leads, though at the beginning it felt as if meryl streep was in a completely different film than adams and hoffman. but as for an amazing performance? viola davis stole the film from streep.

indytoad
01-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Watched some docs through Netflix On Demand (or whatever they call it) on my X-Box:

Overnight Details the meteoric rise and precipitous fall of Troy Duffy, director of The Boondock Saints. I always thought Saints was a mediocre film at best, but the chaos surrounding the film that this doc reveals makes it amazing that it was even that good. Duffy is like the old train wreck adage - you just can't look away - as he destroys all his good fortune through sheer megalomania.

Confessions of a Superhero Follows the people that dress up as superheroes and stand in front of Mann's Chinese Theatre, posing for pictures with tourists for money (I had no idea such a vocation even existed). The four characters that the doc focuses on all have dreams of making it big in Hollywood, and most of them are pretty delusional - but the doc doesn't mock them at all. Very interesting personality profiles.

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room I never understood exactly what happened with the whole Enron scandal (I was only about 17 when it all happened), and this doc does a good job of explaining it in layman's terms. It's pretty shocking what Enron got away with for so long.

In addition, I actually left the house once last weekend to go see a fictional movie...

Seven Pounds Kind of disappointing, because I had high expectations. I figured out what Will Smith's character was planning before the title (which is bad, since I'm terrible at predicting what's going to happen). It focuses almost exclusively on his relationship with one of the seven strangers, and glosses over the rest, to its detriment. My friend also thought the whole thing was creepy and unethical, which I can understand. And... ...what was up with the jellyfish? I know it was dramatic and all, but it was kinda bizarre. Besides, wouldn't the toxins have damaged his heart? He couldn't have taken some sleeping pills?

Natston
01-07-2009, 08:58 PM
National Treasure: Book of Secrets

:puke:

Gone Baby Gone

One of the best movies I've seen in awhile... I'm always a sucker for a 'thinking' movie (like Sleepers) and I'm not talking about the actual plot twists. I'm talking about the parts where....

He kills the pedophile.

and more importantly...

He loses his girl because he calls the cops at the end.

MrSparko
01-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Gran Torino
Amazing

Bball
01-11-2009, 06:56 AM
"Gran Torino"

I loved it. Excellent.

N8R
01-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Lucky Number Slevin

It was woven nicely. I enjoyed it

N8R
01-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Rock N' Rolla

Not what I was expecting but pretty good nonetheless. I thought there would be more action and violence but there seemed to be too much cleverness and trickery. I think the movie was trying to hard to be sneaking.

N8R
01-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Marley & Me

It was a good movie. Pretty much what I expected but I wouldnt classify it as a comedy which I thought it was supposed to be. Had me tearing up.

Stryder
01-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Step Brothers

Funny

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Pretty good. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was superior though.

X-Files: I Want to Believe

Not that good. I liked the first movie better.

N8R
01-12-2009, 07:57 AM
Gran Torino

All I knew going in was that this was going to be a good movie and it most certainly was. Highly recommended.

Unclebuck
01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Unborn - truly horrible, awful. Wasn't my choice to see it in the first place.

Hope to see both Frost/Nixon and Gran Torino over the next week.

I also hope more of you will go see Slumdog Millionaire after it won the Golden Globe for best movie of the year. I'm sure it will be nominated for an Oscar and should be favored to win. I know many people don't like the award winning type movies because they are usually too serious, even depressing and sure there are times during the movie that are very serious, but when it is all over it is a feel good movie that even though I saw it over a month ago - it is still vivid in my mind and I like the movie more now than I did right after I saw it

N8R
01-13-2009, 05:35 AM
What was bad about Unborn: the movie it self? the writing? lack of scariness or just overall stupid and cheesy?

Unclebuck
01-13-2009, 09:42 AM
What was bad about Unborn: the movie it self? the writing? lack of scariness or just overall stupid and cheesy?

Let me see, yes, yes, yes, yes and actually no - it wasn't even cheesy fun.

It was boring, it explained everything instead of just showing it - the lead did a horrible job - it was really bad, only good thing is that it was only about 80 minutes long

N8R
01-13-2009, 10:00 AM
well I wont go to see that one then. Some of the scenes looked scary in the previews but I bet they were the only ones.

Unclebuck
01-13-2009, 10:14 AM
well I wont go to see that one then. Some of the scenes looked scary in the previews but I bet they were the only ones.

Yeah, the previews/trailer wasn't bad

Bball
01-14-2009, 01:33 AM
"Shaun of the Dead"

Ho Hum... I expected more. I didn't think it was all that clever or funny. I guess I just didn't get it....

travmil
01-14-2009, 08:15 AM
"Shaun of the Dead"

Ho Hum... I expected more. I didn't think it was all that clever or funny. I guess I just didn't get it....

I've always felt when it comes to that movie, the weird Brit humor is supposed to be trendy, so people think they should like it and gave it positive reviews even though it isn't funny. I'm with you. I was expecting Monty Python type funny and was thouroughly unimpressed. I thought maybe they just had a bad go of it when they made that move, so I gave them another chance and Hot Fuzz was even worse.

rexnom
01-14-2009, 08:57 AM
I've always felt when it comes to that movie, the weird Brit humor is supposed to be trendy, so people think they should like it and gave it positive reviews even though it isn't funny. I'm with you. I was expecting Monty Python type funny and was thouroughly unimpressed. I thought maybe they just had a bad go of it when they made that move, so I gave them another chance and Hot Fuzz was even worse.
Really? It's one of my favorite movies and I laughed my *** off during.

Hicks
01-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I liked Hot Fuzz, but the chunks I've seen of Shaun didn't do much of anything for me.

N8R
01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
I thought Shaun of the Dead was good but I wouldn't call it a comedy. I thought it was just a good humourous Zombie movie.

Stryder
01-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Taken

I've always liked Liam Neeson. I enjoyed the movie. Liam went Jack Bauer and Jason Bourne on multiple people throughout the movie.

DisplacedKnick
01-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Caught Gran Torino at a matinee. Good show - not great but solid. Eastwood is outstanding. I thought some of the supporting performances were pretty mediocre though - especially the priest.

N8R
01-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I thought the kid in the movie was a poor actor and his sister too. I thought Eastwood carried the movie acting wise, everyone else was either mediocre or worse. Great movie though.

DisplacedKnick
01-16-2009, 10:42 PM
I thought the kid in the movie was a poor actor and his sister too. I thought Eastwood carried the movie acting wise, everyone else was either mediocre or worse. Great movie though.

Except the gang-bangers - they were OK. Everyone else behaved like plastic people.

N8R
01-17-2009, 06:07 AM
I thought some of the gangbangers were alright but still they were too stereotypical and it just seemed forced. The Tao kid and his sister were the worst by far though.

Bball
01-17-2009, 08:19 AM
"King of Kong"

I don't know who was geekier... the people this documentary focused on or me for watching it and liking it at least somewhat. It was a little slow, probably could've been a little funnier (especially at the expense of many of the people in the film but the film didn't do that to them). I kept thinking to myself this was like a documentary about Trekkies except it would be a film that took the Trekkies seriously.

I don't know the background on the film (who produced it, directed it, etc) so I don't know if someone was being sly and letting the viewer make their own jokes or it was meant as a bit of a PR piece for 'competitive gaming' and the 'twin galaxy' website.

It was kind of neat seeing the old arcade games in action... but then there was an element of me thinking "so that's what happened if you got addicted to those things"... Some of those people were ummmm....pathetic.

I'm sure this doc isn't for everybody. ...And I'm also sure it's another one of those DVD's you don't want to rent/buy and plan your evening around. But if you have any interest in arcade games of the 80's (Donkey Kong, PacMan, Defender, etc) then you might at least tolerate this.

EDIT:
I decided to peruse the www.twingalaxies.com website and I see that Billy Mitchell has again overtaken Steve Weibe on Donkey Kong and Mitchell did it in front of a referee.

Mourning
01-17-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm with you on this one. I really liked this movie aswell.

[B]Gone Baby Gone

One of the best movies I've seen in awhile... I'm always a sucker for a 'thinking' movie (like Sleepers) and I'm not talking about the actual plot twists. I'm talking about the parts where....

He kills the pedophile.

and more importantly...

He loses his girl because he calls the cops at the end.

Doddage
01-18-2009, 12:42 AM
The Wrestler

Good stuff.

Peck
01-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Mall Cop: Actually entertaining and had some funny moments in there. Probably not for everybody.

Hicks
01-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Gran Torino

Pretty good, though I can't help but wonder if it was exactly what I did or did not need to experience right now. I've been shaken up lately at the thought of my own mortality.

Raoul Duke
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Gran Turino - Really good, I thought the kids did good jobs. Especially since they weren't actors.

The Unborn - Horrible. Hot girls though.

7 Pounds - Not bad but not really that great. It was too much of the one girl when it should have been more about the other people.

The Wrestler - Pretty good but a little depressing. Kind of over-rated too.

Slumdog Millionaire - It's a really good but the end makes it great. You definitely need to see it.

SoupIsGood
01-18-2009, 08:45 PM

I know what you mean. I liked it, but not because it was all that funny. (Although there were a few really funny moments.)

Natston
01-18-2009, 09:16 PM
On Shaun of the Dead...

I was kinda disappointed in it but, I think it was the expectations going in more than the quality of the movie. Couple that with the fact that I don't watch a lot of of zombie movies, so there were some things that I didn't notice or couldn't enjoy. However the movie itself works on many levels so that's why I would recommend it.

Hot Fuzz...

I really liked it, maybe because I've seen many of the cop movies or movie twists that they spoofed. I liked both movies because they're in the Galaxy Quest mold, in that it's light hearted spoof/satire that you can watch without having to watch what they're parodying first.

Unclebuck
01-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Saw Gran Torino really, really good. Sure the kid and his sister weren't good actors, but for the most part I thought that gave it a certain authenticity to the movie, only once or twice was it a distraction. It was better than I thought it was going to be overall and I had high hopes. The ending was really perfect - the perfect way to end it for the maximum emotional impact. Will see it again for sure.

Of the three possible best picture nominees. I still lke Slumdog Millionaire the best (Hicks you need to go see it) followed closely by Gran Torino and then Benjamin Button all three are excellent and proves to me they are still making excellent movies

Dab
01-19-2009, 12:25 AM
Defiance - solid flick based on a true story. Good performances by Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber. Not outstanding, but on the other hand I never felt myself nodding off. I wish I had waited for the DVD, or at least had seen it at the matinee.

N8R
01-19-2009, 07:38 AM
City of Ember

It was alright. It wasnt really explained all that well as to why they were there. A little hokey and the end didnt answer a lot of questions I had about the movie. It was ok.

N8R
01-19-2009, 07:54 AM
Remember the Titans

For some reason anytime this movie is on TV I watch it. Got to see the full movie this time commercial free on the Family channel which is a first in a long time. The movie is good and I think most that have seen it would agree. Some of the parts were chocking me up which i dont remember happen the first times watching it. Who knows maybe I am getting my period or something.

sweabs
01-19-2009, 07:55 AM

Autism: The Musical

Saw it on HBO the other day.

Unclebuck
01-22-2009, 09:05 AM
The Oscar noms are in

Best picture -
Slumdog Millionaire
Frost/Nixon
Benjamin Button
Milk
The Reader

Little surprised the Reader was nominated. I'm sure many of you are upset that Dark Knight wasn't nominated - but I figured it wouldn't.

I would be very surprised if Slumdog doesn't win

avoidingtheclowns
01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
quick thoughts after glancing at the noms...

interesting that the only non-technical award Dark Knight received was for heath - more for it's financial success and that it seemed to be picking up momentum near the end of the year with critics than because i think it was one of the top five films this year.

as much as UB liked Benjamin Button, it feels like the classic "many noms, no significant wins" film. i'm shocked by taraji henson's nomination - she wasn't bad, but was basically sally field in gump part deux (though in fairness so was most of the movie).

supporting actress is wide open. i haven't seen The Wrestler but the academy loves them some tomei. amy adams was good but i felt everyone's performance in that movie was dwarfed by viola davis - the problem is that she was in the film for such a short time. penelope cruz was great in Vicky Cristina Barcelona. and like i said, taraji was solid but not extraordinary.

The Reader seems a bit overhyped by the number of noms compared to reviews. seems odd Revolutionary Road.

nice to see The Visitor and Frozen River nominated.

odd to see clint eastwood direct two films (and star in one) and not have the academy bend over backwards to honor him.

Bball
01-22-2009, 01:42 PM
odd to see clint eastwood direct two films (and star in one) and not have the academy bend over backwards to honor him.

Maybe that split the vote?

DisplacedKnick
01-22-2009, 02:02 PM
The Reader seems a bit overhyped by the number of noms compared to reviews.

The Reader's only in there because Oprah's a fan of Kate Winslet's rack. (was gonna post a link but evidently Harpo's made a copyright claim and I don't want to get Hicks in trouble - it's hilarious though)

I haven't seen Changeling but IMO Gran Torino doesn't deserve a best picture nom (unless it was just a horrible year) but Eastwood's performance is good enough for a Best Actor nom - though again, unless you've seen everything how do you judge?

Unclebuck
01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I haven't seen Changeling but IMO Gran Torino doesn't deserve a best picture nom (unless it was just a horrible year) but Eastwood's performance is good enough for a Best Actor nom - though again, unless you've seen everything how do you judge?

Saw Changeling and it isn't worthy of a best pic nom.

You have touched upon the problem with the nominating process - those who vote haven't seen everything - in fact far from it.

Of the 5 films nominated, I have seen Slumdog and Benjamin and I would vote for Slumdog without question. Will see Frost/Nixon before the awards are handed out, might see Milk - probably won't see the Reader until it is on DVD

Aw Heck
01-22-2009, 05:15 PM
The only best picture nominee I've managed to see is Slumdog Millionaire. I've been meaning to see the other nominees though. While I enjoyed Slumdog Millionaire, I'm not so sure it deserves anything more than just the nomination. The whole "every single question relates to a major event in the main character's life and in chronological order, too" device was just a little too contrived for me. Everything else about the movie was pretty well done though. Then again, I didn't think Crash or Chicago were the greatest movies either.

Peck
01-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Bride Wars: My God what has happened to Kate Hudson????? Honestly if I did not know it was here going into the show I would probably not ever recognized her. Her Mother aged much much more gracefully than that. I hope it was her hair or makeup or something but d@mn....

Anyway the show was about what you would expect. However it was not nearly as funny as I was kind of hoping for, believe me I was not expecting much, but there were a few funny's.

A very very very contrived ending to boot.

N8R
01-23-2009, 06:42 AM
The Island

Had seen it before but it was on TV overnight so I figured what the heck, might as well. I still enjoy it for the most part. I mean Michael Bay is outrageous and enjoys explosions and car chases and car wrecks but I do too.

As far as the Oscar Noms go I have been Slumdog and Button, I have Frost Nixon but havent watched it yet. The Reader doesnt interest me and nor does Milk.

Unclebuck
01-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Dark Knight is at the theaters again in IMAX and if for some reason you didn't get a chance to see it last summer in IMAX I highly recommend taking the opportunity now

count55
01-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Dark Knight is at the theaters again in IMAX and if some some reason you didn't get a chance to see it last summer in IMAX I highly recommend taking the opportunity now

I get motion sickness at IMAX.

Unclebuck
01-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I get motion sickness at IMAX.

Still worth it.

count55
01-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Still worth it.

Seriously, I mean can't-walk-can't-stand-up-pass-out-call-an-ambulance motion sickness.

My eyes feel like they're trying to escape my head in opposite directions. It is quite debilitating.

I have the same problem with first person video games. Hell, even the 3-D Maze screen saver that windows used to have made me throw up.

duke dynamite
01-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back

Unclebuck
01-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Seriously, I mean can't-walk-can't-stand-up-pass-out-call-an-ambulance motion sickness.

My eyes feel like they're trying to escape my head in opposite directions. It is quite debilitating.

I have the same problem with first person video games. Hell, even the 3-D Maze screen saver that windows used to have made me throw up.

So you wouldn't want to accompany me to Kings Island or Cedar Point this summer.

Did you get car sick when you were little. - I often did - have outgrown it for the most part

count55
01-23-2009, 03:27 PM
So you wouldn't want to accompany me to Kings Island or Cedar Point this summer.

Did you get car sick when you were little. - I often did - have outgrown it for the most part

No, I don't have problems with things that actually move...just things that look like they're moving, but really aren't, if that makes any sense.

My brain can't reconcile the differing inputs, I guess.

Unclebuck
01-23-2009, 03:36 PM
No, I don't have problems with things that actually move...just things that look like they're moving, but really aren't, if that makes any sense.

My brain can't reconcile the differing inputs, I guess.

No that makes sense. I have a little bit the same problem as I can't do that virtual rides - even though the seat you are in just sort of tilts forwards, back, side to side - but the visual makes me feel really bad. Although I did get sick last time I went Cedar point - it wasn;t the roller coasters it was the stupid big swing ride I went on - something about the slow weightless feeling that get me.

Sorry, I din't intend to get this thread of topic.

Anyone see Frost/Nixon yet?

sweabs
01-23-2009, 04:25 PM
I used to have that problem - the Back to the Future ride at Universal Studios was my worst enemy for many years.

That stuff has no effect on me anymore, though.

N8R
01-24-2009, 06:11 AM
I went to an IMAX that had first person view from a helicopter and midway through I had to look at the ground cause I was getting sick. I have been to others since and I have been all good but certain movies, rides and visuals can make me sick quick ick.

count55
01-24-2009, 11:03 AM
No that makes sense. I have a little bit the same problem as I can't do that virtual rides - even though the seat you are in just sort of tilts forwards, back, side to side - but the visual makes me feel really bad. Although I did get sick last time I went Cedar point - it wasn;t the roller coasters it was the stupid big swing ride I went on - something about the slow weightless feeling that get me.

Sorry, I din't intend to get this thread of topic.

Anyone see Frost/Nixon yet?

No...I rarely get to see movies in the theatres. I did almost buy the audiobook last week, but I bought Angler by Barton Gellmann instead. It's been great for my trek to Terre Haute and back.

I just rented Max Payne, and I'll probably watch it today or tomorrow.

Raskolnikov
01-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Just saw Munich, very good movie.

Twes
01-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Righteous Kill

count55
01-24-2009, 08:31 PM
No...I rarely get to see movies in the theatres. I did almost buy the audiobook last week, but I bought Angler by Barton Gellmann instead. It's been great for my trek to Terre Haute and back.

I just rented Max Payne, and I'll probably watch it today or tomorrow.

Max Payne...meh.

Stryder
01-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Be Kind Rewind.

A cute movie with quite a few funny bits.

The Wrestler

Depressing, but good.

Peck
01-25-2009, 01:01 AM
Just got back from the late showing of Grand Toreno.

Three things about this movie.

1. I had no idea it was going to be nearly as funny as it was. It was very entertaining from beginning to end.

2. I read U.B.'s review of this film and I just don't agree with his assesment about the two young actors. I thought they were actually pretty good.

3. Nobody told me Hicks had a part in this film? Tell me that the priest is not Hicks with a red wig on.

kester99
01-25-2009, 03:01 AM
In Bruges.

Excellent black humor. Brit gangsters. Suspenseful. And a nice slice of Belgium.

And a midget. Oh, sorry. Dwarf.

Two thumbs up.

tora tora
01-25-2009, 02:35 PM
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii119/catman919/TheSecret.jpg

Olivia Thirlby is a remarkable actress.

SycamoreKen
01-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Dark Knight

Finally saw it last night. Too bad when they finally don't kill of a good villian something else happens to screw it up. That was the best Batman movie ever. Dark, well paced, and the Joker was finally the Joker from the comic books not the t.v. show.

grace
01-25-2009, 07:55 PM
Last Chance Harvey

Good chick flick.

Unclebuck
01-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Saw Slumdog again today. It certainly holds up well to a second viewing. I cannot recommend the movie highly enough. It is in wide release now and you should see it at the theater. Second viewing I noticed how great the music is and just how energetic the movie as a whole is.

If some of you are thinking it is some boring chick flick - it isn't. Reminds me in a lot of ways of City of God - but more of a feel good movie.

There are certain movies I enjoy, certain movies I like, certain movies I admire, certain movies I am enterttained by, but there are very, very few movies I love - and this movie I love.

Hicks
01-25-2009, 10:24 PM
You're making me strongly consider going to see it, UB. Despite all of the buzz and positive words I've heard, for some reason I just haven't felt compelled to go, but I'm starting to think about it now.

duke dynamite
01-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Breaking Away...love it!

Unclebuck
01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Lakeview Terrace In a word no. Don't bother. None of it was believable at all

JayRedd
01-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Che - 8/10

Loved it. Most people probably won't -- at least not Part II.

Slumdog ... Reminds me in a lot of ways of City of God - but more of a feel good movie.

I would hope so.

Frostwolf
01-27-2009, 03:08 AM
Am I being blasphemous if I say Hoosiers wasn't that great of a movie? I think I've liked a few other basketball movies better, including Glory Road and Hoop Dreams (though it was more of a documentary).

DisplacedKnick
01-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Am I being blasphemous if I say Hoosiers wasn't that great of a movie?

Yes. Of course if you want hyped basketball movies with an Indiana connection that sucked, I offer you Blue Chips. UGH.

travmil
01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
...Hoop Dreams...

Hoop Dreams was excellent, but you know what I'd REALLY like to see? A documentray similar in style that focuses on Oak Hill Academy and their players. I think that would be awesome to see how the players get chosen to go to there and play, and see the circumstances they are leaving. The experiences those guys get to have travelling all around the country and playing in the most prestigious tournaments against the best competition they can find are once in a lifetime.

Another basketball related doc I can suggest is Gunnin' for that #1 Spot. It follows the Elite 24 tournament at Rucker Park in New York, focusing on 8 of the 24 players invited to play in it. Many of them were just drafted including Kevin Love, Jeryd Bayless, and Michael Beasly. Good doc that shows how these players interact with recruiters and shoe companies.

idioteque
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
The Kingdom

It wasn't great but it was better than I expected it to be given the reviews.

Shade
01-27-2009, 11:53 PM
88 Minutes

Not bad. Pretty standard action/mystery/suspense fare. Entertaining.

pianoman
01-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Breaking Away...love it!

i just had to watch that in school, i didn't think i'd like it at first, but now i own it. It was excellent

Suaveness
01-29-2009, 01:14 AM
The Italian Job

Charlize is deliciously hot

Shade
01-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Harold and Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Vulgar. Disgusting. Stupid.

Loved it.

Seriously, there were some very funny parts in the movie. Oh, and the "Choose Your Own Adventure" aspect of the DVD? Brilliant. :brilliant

Btw, nothing ever can, or ever will, beat NPH on a unicorn. Sheer win.

8/10

Hoop
01-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Slumdog Millionaire - Good movie, I was kinda expecting it to be better, with all the hype it has received. Well worth watching though.

Taken - Action packed movie, I enjoyed it.

Unclebuck
01-31-2009, 10:33 PM
Taken Was actually pretty good.

sweabs
02-01-2009, 10:08 AM
I Am An Animal

Dab
02-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Rock N' Rolla

Not what I was expecting but pretty good nonetheless. I thought there would be more action and violence but there seemed to be too much cleverness and trickery. I think the movie was trying to hard to be sneaking.

For me it seemed pretty much like Guy Ritchie's other movies. It was entertaining, but it all seemed very familiar. Except for Stringer Bell with an english accent, but I guess that's how it really is.

SycamoreKen
02-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Burn After Reading

Not what we expected, but good none the less. The events are to the extreme, but it reflected life in the whole concept.

N8R
02-02-2009, 05:15 AM
Outlander

All i could think about while watching this movie was the South Park episode where the kids get rid of their parents by saying their parents molested them. And through all the chaos Cartman ends up yelling "Outlander, Outlander" multiple times so I just kept repeating the title in my head in Cartman's voice.

But the movie it self I did not like. Some very terrible acting, terrible story, terrible job at making me think it took place in 706A.D. what with the language and way they talked. Just a big ****ing waste of my time.

N8R
02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Frost/Nixon

Now I am not one who usually enjoys a political movie but this movie was excellent. I now understand why it received the nominations it did. Being Canadian I had no idea about Watergate and what it was all about. It was cool to learn something and learn it from a movie that was worth watching. I highly recommend this one.

Suaveness
02-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Ratatouille- I finally got to see it, and I loved it. Well done Pixar

N8R
02-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Pride and Glory

What a nothing movie. Nothing new to add to the cop genre of movies. Poorly acted outside of Edward Norton and just a stupid story. A total waste of my time. If you have seen a cop movie before don't bother watching this unless you are a die hard fan of one of the actors. Stories were told that didn't need to be, overacting throughout, unbelievable characters, poor make-up effects and just not directed or shot very well.

sweabs
02-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Sharkwater

Please watch it.

Dab
02-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Human Highway

Neil Young, Devo, Dennis Hopper, Russ Tamblyn, Dean Stockwell, radioactive waste - they sure don't make 'em like this anymore.

DisplacedKnick
02-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Taken

Good show. Always like Liam Neeson though I think there was time enough for a little more investigative depth to be worked in. And they may have overdone the odd shutter speed thing a little.

Unclebuck
02-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Miracle at St. Anna - it was frustrating because parts were good, but overall it was very disjointed - seemed almost 2 or 3 movies were pasted together into one movie. There were some very good exciting and heartwarming moments, followed by scenes that makes you just want to scratch your head.

W - It was OK - Josh Brolin as W was excellent. Surprised Rice didn't sue for defammation and the same with Dick Cheney. I have no idea how accurate the movie is seems to be inaccurate in pretty much all the current day stuff. Overall though I was rather bored

Peck
02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
New in Town: My wife drug me off to see this. If you've ever watched one of those ABC family channel christmas movies (God love you if you have not btw) where big city girl goes home for christmas, initially hates the hicks but then falls in love with the burly local stud (who later turns out to be a college educated person who chose a simplier life style) and decides to stay there then you have already seen this movie.

Honestly it had a few funny moments but overall it was a sappy snooze fest.

Now on another level it reminded me of how people on the coast view mid western people. This was based in MN however it could have been any any state from OH to CO. It's always great when people paint other people with a broad paint brush.:(

rexnom
02-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Miracle at St. Anna - it was frustrating because parts were good, but overall it was very disjointed - seemed almost 2 or 3 movies were pasted together into one movie. There were some very good exciting and heartwarming moments, followed by scenes that makes you just want to scratch your head.

W - It was OK - Josh Brolin as W was excellent. Surprised Rice didn't sue for defammation and the same with Dick Cheney. I have no idea how accurate the movie is seems to be inaccurate in pretty much all the current day stuff. Overall though I was rather bored
I don't mean to turn this political, but I thought Cheney was pretty well portrayed, for a movie. Seems pretty accurate from what I've heard from people "in the know" in the Bush White House. I think we're going to be shocked decades from know when the Bush records get declassified at just how big Cheney's role was. That's it for the political here.

Unclebuck
02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I don't mean to turn this political, but I thought Cheney was pretty well portrayed, for a movie. Seems pretty accurate from what I've heard from people "in the know" in the Bush White House. I think we're going to be shocked decades from know when the Bush records get declassified at just how big Cheney's role was. That's it for the political here.

Cheney - big role - yes, sinister and menacing as he was in the movie - no .

I do wonder what Stone's source materal was on the several high level meetings that were portrayed in the movie. Overall I thought the movie offered no real insight into Bush or his presidency

duke dynamite
02-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Zack and Miri x3

avoidingtheclowns
02-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Miracle at St. Anna ... C+<O></O>
i really wanted to like this film. i did. but i couldn't. there are lots of great moments, but the film is infuriatingly unfocused. too much time is spent on characters that really mean very little (or in the case of john leguizamo absolutely nothing) to the story. i give it a C+ because despite the problems, Spike clearly had a vision and a story that he wanted told on his terms - and he did that, clearly without the interference of an editor.

after reading your review i went back to remember what i had posted. looks like we came out of it on the same page.

W. ... C-
really didn't enjoy this. it just felt slapped together - a series of stories scattered like buckshot without bothering to find a solid narrative. it plays like a cliff's notes re-enactment of a bob woodward book / maureen dowd column hybrid. i was disappointed because there are a handful of great stories for films about this man: his administration, the Iraq war, the Bush family complex, etc. stone chooses to use the daddy/jeb inferiority but only superficially - he never fully commits to telling that story just has james cromwell keep saying "i'm disappointed, junior." performances were equally mixed. brolin gave a great performance. i enjoyed dreyfuss also. the rest were just caricatures (especially condi). as for the timing question:

i don't mind the way stone ends the movie: an open-ended question about where W. stands in the history books, especially considering the number of times W. himself has used "history will tell" as justification for a variety of decisions. that being said, i do think a significantly stronger movie could (and probably will) be made years from now.

we seem to agree overall that it wasn't a good film but our reasons seem to differ.

also, a defamation lawsuit would require cheney and rice to prove that A) they suffered hatred or financial loss as a direct result of this film and B) they'd have to prove the people involved with the film were reckless with the truth in their portrayal of public figures (like tabloids often get sued by celebs). both are laughable considering, as you say later, this movie doesn't cover any new ground.

I do wonder what Stone's source materal was on the several high level meetings that were portrayed in the movie.

ask and the google will provide... from Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily (http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/big-questions-surround-oliver-stones-w/)

How accurate is the movie about George W Bush's life and presidency?
Stone is telling the press that Stanley Weiser's script based the movie primarily on materials in the public domain. But that only means that Stone, who's notoriously cavalier about using exclusively reported material from books and then claiming it's all public domain, didn't bother to buy the movie rights from any of the non-fiction authors (which would have been the incredibly expensive but also legally proper thing to do). Production insiders tell me that the key sources for the screenplay and film were all these books: Plan of Attack, Bush at War, and State of Denial by Washington Post investigative journalist Bob Woodward; The Price of Loyalty and The One Percent Doctrine by the former senior national affairs writer for the Wall Street Journal, Ron Suskind; The Family: The Real Story Of The Bush Dynasty by the queen of the unauthorized celebrity biography Kitty Kelley; Fortunate Son by paroled felon J.H. Hatfield (the book was eventually recalled by its first publisher and the author committed suicide); The Faith of George W. Bush by former Washington Post feature writer and biographer Stephen Mansfield; Oil, Power and Empire by the long-time correspondent for the Revolutionary Worker communist newspaper Larry Everest; First Son by Texas journalist and University Of Texas journalism professor Bill Minutaglio; A Charge to Keep written under George W. Bush's name by ghostwriter Michael Herskowitz; State of War by New York Times intelligence beat reporter James Risen; Hubris by liberal The Nation columnist David Corn and Newsweek correspondent Michael Isikoff; and The Greatest Story Ever Sold by New York Times liberal columnist Frank Rich.

count55
02-09-2009, 07:29 PM

Without getting political, Angler, the Barton Gellmann book has some really interesting insight into Cheney's VP.

Bball
02-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Tropic Thunder

Sorry... not my kind of humor. It felt like it didn't know whether to utilize a bunch of inside jokes or go more mainstream with the cliches and stereotypes. So it just kind of did a little of both.

I thought RDJr was good but the surrounding cast just kinda left him adrift. Jack Black.... blah. Not a Jack Black fan. I don't dislike him, I just don't find him particularly funny either. Ben Stiller... same deal.... not a big Ben Stiller fan. At least in movies. He seems more "TV" to me.

Cruise's role was interesting but didn't exactly save the movie for me.

I think I expected too much going in even though I knew part of the ensemble cast was going to disappoint me... or leave me flat is a better way to say it.

In the end it's another movie where I think a better movie was in there but it just didn't have enough talent on either side of the camera to pull it off.

Unclebuck
02-10-2009, 09:04 AM
after reading your review i went back to remember what i had posted. looks like we came out of it on the same page.

we seem to agree overall that it wasn't a good film but our reasons seem to differ.

also, a defamation lawsuit would require cheney and rice to prove that A) they suffered hatred or financial loss as a direct result of this film and B) they'd have to prove the people involved with the film were reckless with the truth in their portrayal of public figures (like tabloids often get sued by celebs). both are laughable considering, as you say later, this movie doesn't cover any new ground.

ask and the google will provide... from Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily (http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/big-questions-surround-oliver-stones-w/)

Thank you - I appreciate it

BRushWithDeath
02-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Caught "Gods and Generals on the Cinemax". Wow. Took a really good book and turned it into a terrible and terribly long movie. What a waste.

bellisimo
02-12-2009, 09:53 AM
RocknRolla - another good flick by Guy Ritchie - I hear this will become a trilogy...can't wait :)

Bolt - good fun..but did Disney steal those pigeons from Warner Bros. Animaniacs cartoon?

Madagascar 2 - meh...the characters just annoy me in that movie

count55
02-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Eagle Eye - enjoyable but forgettable

Unclebuck
02-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Before Sunrise - 8/10

I'd seen Before Sunset (the sequel) like a year or so and heard good things about both. They are admittedly very, very low on the testosterone scale, but they are both very well-made, original productions that you have to appreciate for their craftsmanship, ambition and commitment to dialogue-based filmmaking even if they are indeed chick flicks by genre. And I actually found them both enjoyable regardless. Feel free to mock away.

I liked both of those also. The dialogue actually seemed real - the way most people talk (perhaps a little more polished) but it wasn't movie speak and for that I really enjoyed it

Unclebuck
02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I've been meaning to catch Religulous. Is it available to rent yet?

It is out this week. I saw it yesterday. Wasn't impressed. it takes the most absurd extremes and wackos and tries to make a point.

Twes
02-16-2009, 11:21 AM
The Great Debaters

count55
02-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Hamlet 2 - it was odd, but relatively predictable. There was some funny stuff, and then just, you know, some stuff.

MagicRat
02-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Mamma Mia! :woohoo:

Shade
02-16-2009, 10:13 PM
Friday the 13th (2009)

It was okay. It really needed to be longer in order to more adequately explain Jason's origins and abilities to casual moviegoers (the entire first film was recapped in about the first 2 minutes of the movie). Too cliche and open-ended for my liking, and I'm not sure how I feel about the campiness being completely removed, since the film still wasn't even mildly scary to me. I think casual movie-goers may enjoy it more, though.

I really liked the focus on Jason's intelligence and hunting abilities, especially after how much he was gimped in Freddy vs. Jason.

Derek Mears was the ****, though. Definitely a much better portrayal of Jason than Ken Kerzinger.

Shade
02-16-2009, 10:16 PM

That sound was the last of the respect I had for you dying. :shakehead

Suaveness
02-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Zack and Miri Make a Porno- Pretty entertaining, I enjoyed it

Pineapple Express- It was alright, there were certainly some good scenes

DisplacedKnick
02-17-2009, 07:00 AM

I just hope your response is because you got laid after the movie.

Shade
02-17-2009, 10:36 AM
I just hope your response is because you got laid after the movie.

Or, better yet, during the movie.

Suaveness
02-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Or, better yet, during the movie.

Or as a reward for sitting through the movie

N8R
02-19-2009, 10:54 PM
Body Of Lies

I liked it. It was good. Good to Watch. Good to Listen to. Enjoy it. Entertaining to watch. Good to kill some time. Would recommend.

duke dynamite
02-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Purple Rain

BRushWithDeath
02-20-2009, 02:26 AM
The Foot Fist Way

avoidingtheclowns
02-20-2009, 02:04 PM
from the last few weeks...

spider ... B
a david cronenberg film that is well acted by ralph fiennes, gabriel byrne and miranda richardson. cronenberg does a fairly good job, but the story makes it difficult to get into. a couple of reasons: first, this film is essentially just about one character and secondly, that character is fairly one-dimensional and a tremendously unreliable narrator at that. most of what you see you're unsure whether to take it as real or complete fantasy.

the verdict ... A+
i recently watched this paul newman/sidney lumet/david mamet film again and, amazingly, it was actually even better than i remembered. i probably saw it about six or seven years ago while i was still in high school and probably judged it more in terms of a legal thriller - which is the dumbest thing you could do. if you think about it in terms of a hardcore courtroom drama, you're going to be disappointed and you'll think it drags quite a bit. if you go in expecting a movie about a man named frank galvin redeeming himself, you'll be remarkably pleased. newman is fantastic, lumet is great and mark my words, this david mamet fella will have a future in dialogue-driven writing.

in bruges ... A
i had no idea who martin mcdonagh was but he wrote and directed this fantastic dark comedy. after googling him, this is his first feature-length film but he is quite a respected playwright in the uk which makes sense, as the story unfolds much more like a play. colin farrell, ralph fiennes (again) and brendan gleeson are all quite enjoyable. it's nominated for the best original screenplay oscar this sunday and while i think milk will probably win, in bruges should win.

idioteque
02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
the namesake

great great great film about a family of indian immigrants assimilating to life in the united states. nothing really mindblowing that i didn't know about what assimilation was like but nonetheless quite good. it stars kal penn (kumar) as the lead and it was kind of strange to take him seriously in a serious role at first, but you get used to it and the film is really good.

Unclebuck
02-20-2009, 02:34 PM
the verdict ... A+
i recently watched this paul newman/sidney lumet/david mamet film again and, amazingly, it was actually even better than i remembered. i probably saw it about six or seven years ago while i was still in high school and probably judged it more in terms of a legal thriller - which is the dumbest thing you could do. if you think about it in terms of a hardcore courtroom drama, you're going to be disappointed and you'll think it drags quite a bit. if you go in expecting a movie about a man named frank galvin redeeming himself, you'll be remarkably pleased. newman is fantastic, lumet is great and mark my words, this david mamet fella will have a future in dialogue-driven writing.

I love that movie, I've probably seen it 4 or 5 times and yet I watched it again about 3 weeks ago iand it is still good.

tora tora
02-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Purple Rain

what's the password onionhead mofo

tora tora
02-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Fists of Fury

DisplacedKnick
02-20-2009, 10:16 PM
from the last few weeks...

spider ... B
a david cronenberg film that is well acted by ralph fiennes, gabriel byrne and miranda richardson. cronenberg does a fairly good job, but the story makes it difficult to get into. a couple of reasons: first, this film is essentially just about one character and secondly, that character is fairly one-dimensional and a tremendously unreliable narrator at that. most of what you see you're unsure whether to take it as real or complete fantasy.

Is that a S. American Nazi-related movie? If so, I've read the book and really liked it and had no idea they'd made it into a movie. I'll have to rent it.

avoidingtheclowns
02-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Is that a S. American Nazi-related movie? If so, I've read the book and really liked it and had no idea they'd made it into a movie. I'll have to rent it.

nope. it's about a man, spider (fiennes), who has been released from a mental institution after spending many years inside. after moving into a halfway house, he begins to solve the puzzle of his mother's death and his own incarceration. it's based on a novel by patrick mcgrath, though i've never read it.

jlrsFCq6UKQ

N8R
02-21-2009, 03:22 AM
Changeling

it was alright. A little long and some uneeded parts but it was worth the watch.

DisplacedKnick
02-21-2009, 07:03 AM
nope. it's about a man, spider (fiennes), who has been released from a mental institution after spending many years inside. after moving into a halfway house, he begins to solve the puzzle of his mother's death and his own incarceration. it's based on a novel by patrick mcgrath, though i've never read it.

Nope - the novel I read's by Gordon Stevens.

JayRedd
02-21-2009, 02:44 PM
the verdict ... A+

Such a great film.

Like eight years ago I was trying to buy The Hustler (one of my favorite five movies) off Amazon and came across a Newman mini-box set with The Hustler, Butch and Sundance and The Verdict, which I'd never heard of. Butch and Sundance is also incredible so I just said what they hay and got it since it was only like $30.

In fact, I don't even think I watched The Verdict for like a year. Then I did one day and was oh-so-psyched. Great, great stuff.

There aren't many actors that can even dream of touching Paul Newman's resume.

Will Galen
02-21-2009, 11:35 PM
I just saw Hancock and loved it!

count55
02-21-2009, 11:59 PM
The last two I've seen were Pink Panther 2 and Coraline.

My son laughed uproariously throughout PP2 (while I listened to The History of Britain on my iPod), but we both found Coraline visually impressive, but a little on the boring side (and he thought maybe a little scary).

(And, yes, I do wish that I had been watching The Verdict, instead.)

BRushWithDeath
02-22-2009, 01:17 AM
Heat

JayRedd
02-22-2009, 05:04 PM
I've tried to see some of the Oscar flicks over the past few weeks and most of them are pretty meh. Benjamin Button and Slumdog are both okay, The Wrestler and Doubt are superb, and Revolutionary Road is an absolute abomination of awful. Overall, 2008 was a pretty weak year for film-making me thinks.

I obviously didn't watch em all, but if I was making a list of the best movies I saw in the past 12 months, it would go:

1. Iron Man
2. Doubt
3. Che
4. The Wrestler
5. Pineapple Express
6. The Dark Knight
7. Burn After Reading
8. Ben Button
9. Slumdog
10. Shine a Light
256,876. Indiana Jones IV

JayRedd
02-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Gone With the Wind - 9/10

Finally watched this. And, yeah, it's rather good.

BRushWithDeath
02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
I've tried to see some of the Oscar flicks over the past few weeks and most of them are pretty meh. Benjamin Button and Slumdog are both okay, The Wrestler and Doubt are superb, and Revolutionary Road is an absolute abomination of awful. Overall, 2008 was a pretty weak year for film-making me thinks.

I obviously didn't watch em all, but if I was making a list of the best movies I saw in the past 12 months, it would go:

1. Iron Man
2. Doubt
3. Che
4. The Wrestler
5. Pineapple Express
6. The Dark Knight
7. Burn After Reading
8. Ben Button
9. Slumdog
10. Shine a Light
256,876. Indiana Jones IV

You overrated Indiana Jones IV.