PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

SycamoreKen
04-10-2005, 04:36 PM
We watched O Brother Where Art Thou Friday night. My brother got it for us for Christmas and we had never gotten around to watch it. It was pretty funny. I can't really compare it to anything else I've seen. Much better than I thought it would be.

Mourning
04-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Saw Shaun of the Dead last night.

High-larious. Even without the humor it's still one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen.

IndyToad
You've got some red on you

That's a real good laugh, yes, and definitely worthwhile watching.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Unclebuck
04-10-2005, 11:39 PM
We watched O Brother Where Art Thou Friday night. My brother got it for us for Christmas and we had never gotten around to watch it. It was pretty funny. I can't really compare it to anything else I've seen. Much better than I thought it would be.

I just did not get that movie, not one minute of it

Harmonica
04-10-2005, 11:42 PM
I just did not get that movie, not one minute of it

Watch it again and just let it wash over you. In other words, don't try to get it. There's nothing really to get.

MagicRat
04-11-2005, 12:17 AM
The Incredibles.......

Harmonica
04-11-2005, 01:52 AM
The Incredibles.......

And...? I haven't seen it.

MagicRat
04-11-2005, 02:51 AM
And...? I haven't seen it.

Well, it's no Korean noir directed by Kurosawa about Hitler killing the old west with modernization while he searches for stolen civil war gold with the Baxters on one side, the Rojos on the other and him right in the middle, then goes on one last killing to get a bounty put up by a cut-up whore after his family was killed by redlegs, but I thought it was a lot of fun......

Spicoli
04-11-2005, 10:00 AM
Watch it again and just let it wash over you. In other words, don't try to get it. There's nothing really to get.

True. O' Brother is just an adaptation of Homer's "The Odyssey" to the Dust Bowl era. A lot of the language in the movie comes straight from The Odyssey, which can make it a little hard to 'get'.

Doug
04-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Seen it before, but the kids hadn't. I still like Raiders better.

SharkTale

I thought it was OK. Some good music. I liked the Rasta jellyfish, one of which was voiced by Ziggy Marley.

Harmonica
04-11-2005, 10:49 AM
True. O' Brother is just an adaptation of Homer's "The Odyssey" to the Dust Bowl era. A lot of the language in the movie comes straight from The Odyssey, which can make it a little hard to 'get'.

Delmar: Care for some gopher?
Everett: No thank you, Delmar — a third of a gopher would only rouse my appetite without beddin' her back down.
Delmar: Oh, you can have the whole thing — me'n Pete already had one. We ran acrost a whole...gopher village.

Stryder
04-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Saw Shaun of the Dead last night.

High-larious. Even without the humor it's still one of the best zombie movies I've ever seen.

IndyToad
You've got some red on you

Shaun of the Dead is a great movie. As you said, hilarious.

I recommend it for the humor and the zombies.

Los Angeles
04-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Amelie.

Great movie, even for "dudes".

Gives false confidence that the wierdo eccentric in us all can hook up with Audrey Tautou. :o

RWB
04-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Family Guy...The freakin' sweet collection.

Harmonica
04-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I went to a screening last night of Larry Clark's (Kids) next film called Wassup Rockers. Should be pretty interesting when it's cleaned up and edited down. Probably won't ever make it into wide release, but then again, his films rarely do.

Los Angeles
04-12-2005, 02:40 PM
I went to a screening last night of Larry Clark's (Kids) next film called Wassup Rockers. Should be pretty interesting when it's cleaned up and edited down. Probably won't ever make it into wide release, but then again, his films rarely do.
Nobody does vomit inducing teen sex scenes like Larry Clark. :D

Stryder
04-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Run Lola Run.

I love the soundtrack. Good movie, too.

jax
04-12-2005, 05:48 PM
waiting for guffman

Harmonica
04-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Melinda and Melinda.

Peck
04-14-2005, 12:40 AM
Finding Neverland. Which I thought was very good.

Mourning
04-14-2005, 05:22 PM
Anyone seen "White Noise" or "The Interpretor"? I know what they are about, but I want to know what people thought of them ;).

Regards,

Harmonica
04-16-2005, 04:49 PM
Palindromes. This is probably Todd Solondz' bleakest film yet, if you can believe that. I found it hard going, even boring at times, although there was definitely a slow burn quality and by the end I was pretty much drawn in.

3ptmiller
04-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Anyone seen "White Noise" or "The Interpretor"? I know what they are about, but I want to know what people thought of them ;).

Regards,

White noise = not bad at all!
The Interpretor = Its a political thriller, good movie!

Skaut_Ech
04-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Palindromes. This is probably Todd Solondz' bleakest film yet, if you can believe that. I found it hard going, even boring at times, although there was definitely a slow burn quality and by the end I was pretty much drawn in.

Bleakest yet?? Maybe I'll take a pass on that one. :suicide:

Actually I like his stuff. I saw Dollhouse and Happiness. Please tell me you saw Happiness. I laughed way more that I should have at that movie. :disturbed I guess it sounds elitist, but I think Happiness was in a way, was too smart, too in your face, for the average viewer. I really loved it. A Lot.

Palindrones? Hadn't heard of it. I tell ya, it's hard keeping up with films other than Finding Nemo 6 and Elektra: Redder and Sexier, with their constant advertising barrage. I'll have to track that movie down. Solontz has a sick, hilarious, unconfortable humor that cracks me up.

Harmonica
04-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Bleakest yet?? Maybe I'll take a pass on that one. :suicide:

There is a scene in there that will completely scramble your brain, the one that takes place at Mama Sunshine's. You just can't believe he goes there.

Actually I like his stuff. I saw Dollhouse and Happiness. Please tell me you saw Happiness. I laughed way more that I should have at that movie. :disturbed I guess it sounds elitist, but I think Happiness was in a way, was too smart, too in your face, for the average viewer. I really loved it. A Lot.

I saw Happiness and own it on DVD. The first time I saw it in a theater, an entire row of women in front of me and my wife got up and left after about 20 minutes.

Palindrones? I'll have to track that movie down. Solontz has a sick, hilarious, unconfortable humor that cracks me up.

Then you'll like this. Did you see Storytelling? His film before this?

MagicRat
04-17-2005, 03:30 AM
For A Few Dollars More.....

Harmonica
04-17-2005, 11:24 AM
For A Few Dollars More.....

How many times does that make? Ever see A Fistful of Dynamite aka Duck, You Sucker? Quite good and often overlooked. Have you seen the Kurosawa "Man with no name" series (Yojimbo, Sanjuro) on which Leone's "No Name" trilogy was inspired?

MagicRat
04-17-2005, 09:45 PM
How many times does that make? Ever see A Fistful of Dynamite aka Duck, You Sucker? Quite good and often overlooked. Have you seen the Kurosawa "Man with no name" series (Yojimbo, Sanjuro) on which Leone's "No Name" trilogy was inspired?

I've watched that one less than A Fistful of Dollars or The, The Bad and the Ugly. I'll bet that was only the second time I've sat and watched it all the way through. Obviously seen it in bits and pieces on cable many times.

Have never seen Duck, You Sucker. When the Leone film festival was here last summer it was on my list to see, but in the end the only one I made it to see was A Fistful of Dollars.

Haven't seen the Kurosawa movies. Don't yell at me, but the only Kurosawa movie I've seen the 7 Samurai.......

Harmonica
04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Haven't seen the Kurosawa movies. Don't yell at me, but the only Kurosawa movie I've seen the 7 Samurai.......

Not a bad one to have seen if you've only seen one. Heck, most people have never even heard of Kurosawa. If you get a chance, check out Ikiru. I think every man should see it.

Mourning
04-18-2005, 06:58 AM
White noise = not bad at all!
The Interpretor = Its a political thriller, good movie!

I've seen them both immediately after each other this weekend. I had expected a little more from White Noise, it's not real bad, but it certainly also isn't a movie which you won't forget quickly.

The Interprettor I liked A LOT. Great plot, good directing, good acting ... a classical thriller. Definitely worth seeying and a good 2 hours spent ;).

Regards,

cramerica
04-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Auto Focus - The Bob Crane story (The guy from Hogans Hero's). Good movie with alot of T & A.

Harmonica
04-18-2005, 10:53 AM
Auto Focus - The Bob Crane story (The guy from Hogans Hero's). Good movie with alot of T & A.

That's one of those films where you feel like you need to bathe after seeing it. Good movie though.

cramerica
04-18-2005, 11:35 AM
That's one of those films where you feel like you need to bathe after seeing it. Good movie though.
It's crazy to see a guy who has a chit load of fame, flush it right down the toilet. It's alright to be a nympho, but why the hell take pictures and video-tape it?

Harmonica
04-18-2005, 12:44 PM
It's crazy to see a guy who has a chit load of fame, flush it right down the toilet. It's alright to be a nympho, but why the hell take pictures and video-tape it?

He was a freak. And he found a fellow freak in Dafoe's character, who was a really creepy guy.

cramerica
04-18-2005, 01:37 PM
He was a freak. And he found a fellow freak in Dafoe's character, who was a really creepy guy.
Dafoe is just a creepy guy no matter which role he plays. Ever seen Boondock Saints?

Harmonica
04-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Dafoe is just a creepy guy no matter which role he plays. Ever seen Boondock Saints?

Indeed I have. One of the worst "films" I've ever seen. Ever see Overnight? It's a documentary about the rise and fall of Troy Duffy, the guy (buffoon) who wrote and directed Boondock Saints.

Vicious Tyrant
04-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Just saw the new Director's Cut of Donnie Darko. Doggone, that movie just stays with you, especially that montage at the end of the people waking up at night while that pretty song plays. The director's audio track explains a lot of the film that doesn't make sense if you don't know that background, but I don't know if it makes the movie any better to actually understand what the H is going on.

Vicious Tyrant
04-18-2005, 04:45 PM
OH yeah, I meant to add - the other night I watched the documentary Metallica: Some Kind of Monster. Oof. I have no interest in heavy metal, but that was among the most moving bits of film I've seen. It can be dull and tedious, but its in a way that kind of like real life. Has anyone seen this?

Its kind of a crime that I've heard so little about it when Michael Moore's documentary's get so much airplay.

cramerica
04-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Indeed I have. One of the worst "films" I've ever seen. Ever see Overnight? It's a documentary about the rise and fall of Troy Duffy, the guy (buffoon) who wrote and directed Boondock Saints.
I loved Boondock Saints and your really the first person that's told me they didn't like it. I thought it was awesome. I'll have to take a look at Overnight, thanks for the heads up.

cramerica
04-18-2005, 05:52 PM
You guys are nuts. Boondock Saints was awesome. The scene where funny man comes back to the house after he killed those guys at the deli was classic. Plus, any movie with Billy Connolly has to be good.

cramerica
04-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Oh, and just to please you Boondock lovers:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0330083/

Harmonica
04-18-2005, 06:09 PM
You guys are nuts. Boondock Saints was awesome. The scene where funny man comes back to the house after he killed those guys at the deli was classic. Plus, any movie with Billy Connolly has to be good.

Barely watchable, in my opinion. I followed the Troy Duffy saga ever since his story broke in USA Today several years ago—how Harvey Weinstein read his script, bought the bar where Duffy worked and made him half owner; how Duffy was being hailed as the next Tarantino, blah, blah, blah, and how Duffy eventually alienated everyone around him to the point where Weinstein and the rest of Hollywood wouldn't return his calls. So I was looking forward to seeing Boondock Saints because I had been reading about it for so long. Let's just say it didn't surprise me that it sucked so bad.

Doug
04-19-2005, 09:40 AM
The Terminal

I thought it was entertaining.

Harmonica
04-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Vera Drake. Amazing film.

pollardfreek
04-23-2005, 03:10 PM
Sideways.

Absolutely loved it. It was very well written, directed, and Paul Giamatti is the second coming of God. And how great was it at the end when the class is reading John Knowle's A Separate Peace? Perfect parallel to Jack and Miles' relationship with each other.

Mourning
04-23-2005, 03:19 PM
"For a few Dollars More" I liked it.

Regards,

Pig Nash
04-23-2005, 03:37 PM
The Incredibles.

all i can say is meh. wasn't visually stunning (except for all of the characters freakishly small irises) , wasn't funny, wasn't that original, wasn't bad.

meh, although Sam Jackson did pretty well.

Mourning
04-23-2005, 03:42 PM
The Incredibles.

all i can say is meh. wasn't visually stunning (except for all of the characters freakishly small irises) , wasn't funny, wasn't that original, wasn't bad.

EXACTLY my thoughts too! I thought it was nice, visually very well done. It was funny, but not THAT funny. It was "Ok", nothing special though.

Regards,

Unclebuck
04-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Sideways.

Absolutely loved it. It was very well written, directed, and Paul Giamatti is the second coming of God. And how great was it at the end when the class is reading John Knowle's A Separate Peace? Perfect parallel to Jack and Miles' relationship with each other.

Excellent movie. There were two or three scenes late in that movie that were very funny, they came and went so fast , but were very funny

MagicRat
04-23-2005, 04:36 PM
The Empire Strikes Back........

kerosene
04-23-2005, 04:49 PM
Sonatine

Vicious Tyrant
04-24-2005, 09:31 AM
The Incredibles.

Whoa, I got to disagree with you guys here. Incredibles was great. How old are you guys, anyway? Maybe you have to be a certain age to appreciate Mr. Incredible sitting at his desk with the white shirt and tie on, just ready to punch his boss or throw his car. I thought the story was the best for any of the CGI movies we've yet seen.

Bball
04-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Patton

-BBall

Harmonica
04-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Patton

-BBall

That's a goodun.

Mourning
04-25-2005, 01:27 AM
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", I loved it.

Regards,

LouisvilleLip
04-25-2005, 07:59 AM
I'm goin to watch Be Cool and Kung Fu Hustle sometime today, ill give you an update later.

Stryder
04-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Sin City.

Excellent.

Harmonica
04-27-2005, 01:22 AM
A Short Film About Killing. Polish film by the great Kieslowski. Really grim.

Natston
04-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Hotel Rwanda

indytoad
04-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Finally rented Dodgeball few days ago. It was good for what it was.

As you can see, my palette is sophisticated and demands fine cinema. I'm renting the second Resident Evil tonight. I'm a freakin' film connoisseur.

IndyToad
How old are you mang?

Kegboy
04-27-2005, 08:18 PM
I just rented Blade 3, which was pretty good, and Elektra, which was awful. Horrible. How anyone can screw up Jennifer Garner in that outfit is beyond me, but they did it. And I really liked Daredevil, too. What a waste.

Harmonica
04-30-2005, 03:45 AM
Friday Night Lights. Not bad.

pollardfreek
04-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Hotel Rwanda. How Million Dollar Baby won is beyond me.

Harmonica
04-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Hotel Rwanda. How Million Dollar Baby won is beyond me.

The Academy rarely gets it right. Million Dollar Baby was nothing special, but it had a huge PR push behind it. Personally, I think Sideways was the best film released by a major studio last year. Hotel Rwanda was certainly up there, but I felt the director's "voice" was buried by the material. Think of Schindler's List—an indelible artistic mark was left on the proceedings, even as unflinching attention was paid to savagery and slaughter.

LouisvilleLip
04-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Assault on Precinct 13, it was a good action movie, nothin special. I also watched In Good Company, its the movie with Dennis Quaid where Topher Grace the guy from the 70's show takes his job and becomes his boss. I was actually suprised as it was much better than I expected.

kerosene
04-30-2005, 03:01 PM
Night of the Hunter. Watch it, love it ;)

Harmonica
04-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Night of the Hunter. Watch it, love it ;)

Ooooo, good one. If you like noir, check out Kubrick's The Killing or Hitchcock's Notorious, or Carol Reed's The Third Man starring Orson Welles.

Pig Nash
04-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. well it was pretty good, way diff. then the book but the same feeling and it was worth seeing.

Mourning
05-01-2005, 12:00 PM
Just saw "The Pianist" again last night. One of those movies that can really touch a person. In short brilliant movie, truly brilliant.

Regards,

RWB
05-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Godthumb....

Bball
05-02-2005, 12:27 AM
"Primer"

-BBall

8.9_seconds
05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Field of Dreams-Awesome,Frickin Awesome

Unclebuck
05-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Field of Dreams-Awesome,Frickin Awesome

That movie just did not do it for me. That is the type of movie either you "get" or you don't. Maybe now that I'm older I would enjoy it more.

Harmonica
05-02-2005, 12:44 PM
F for Fake. Orson Welles's last completed film. Brilliant.

Natston
05-02-2005, 02:33 PM
I finally watched Reservoir Dogs, but I was a little disappointed because I was expecting more...

Bball
05-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I finally watched Reservoir Dogs, but I was a little disappointed because I was expecting more...

I've got that disc but haven't put it in the DVD player yet.

I agree with UB on Field of Dreams. ...altho I doubt it would do any more for me now than it did 10 years ago.

-Bball

Suaveness
05-03-2005, 01:58 AM
I saw Harold and Kumar go to White Castle 7 times in as many days. Just a great movie

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Blue Chips!

SycamoreKen
05-04-2005, 12:01 AM
Star Wars: A New Hope with my 4th graders last week. One of them asked if the kid in the first one became Han Solo.

Bball
05-08-2005, 04:44 AM
JFK (It was playing on HDNet or HDNet Movies this evening).

-Bball

zag
05-08-2005, 01:49 PM
The Terminal with Tom Hanks. Great movie.

Stryder
05-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Princess Diaries 2....cute movie...did I just say that?

Hellboy....Ron Pearlman is awesome...

The Great Race...classic comedy...

I'm going to see Kingdom of Heaven tonight.

Doug
05-11-2005, 09:11 AM
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0346156/)

I really liked this. While, as a movie, it's certainly not Casablanca (or even Raiders), but I found myself with a smile on my face the whole time.

Will Galen
05-11-2005, 10:06 AM
"National Treasure."

I got the impression from the movie trailer where Nicolas Cage tells Diane Kruger to trust him just before he drops her that the movie had some weird stuff happening so I didn't go see it when it was playing at the theaters. Without giving away what happens let's just say what happens when he drops her is totally believable.

I think they goofed when they had that particular scene in the trailer. All they did was get cute with the movie trailers editing but it gives a false sense of the movie like they are mixing SF and adventure, two different genre's. I figured when he dropped her she would be caught in some type of force field which I didn't think fit with the rest of the movies theme. As I said above what happens is totally believable and fits with the movie.

The only thing unbelievable was the ease with which they figured out the clues. However, if you can believe how easy people come up with the passwords to computers in other movies you won't have a problem with it.

I liked the movie. It reminded me of the Indiana Jones movies. Fun adventure.
I would give it an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Stryder
05-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Kingdom of Heaven was good.

Stryder
05-11-2005, 11:32 AM
"National Treasure."

I got the impression from the movie trailer where Nicolas Cage tells Diane Kruger to trust him just before he drops her that the movie had some weird stuff happening so I didn't go see it when it was playing at the theaters. Without giving away what happens let's just say what happens when he drops her is totally believable.

I think they goofed when they had that particular scene in the trailer. All they did was get cute with the movie trailers editing but it gives a false sense of the movie like they are mixing SF and adventure, two different genre's. I figured when he dropped her she would be caught in some type of force field which I didn't think fit with the rest of the movies theme. As I said above what happens is totally believable and fits with the movie.

The only thing unbelievable was the ease with which they figured out the clues. However, if you can believe how easy people come up with the passwords to computers in other movies you won't have a problem with it.

I liked the movie. It reminded me of the Indiana Jones movies. Fun adventure.
I would give it an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I loved National Treasure.

indytoad
05-11-2005, 05:43 PM
"Primer"

-BBall

Was wondering if anyone else had seen this. The acting wasn't great but it was still quite a trip.

IndyToad
Take my wife, please

cramerica
05-13-2005, 02:38 AM
Spun. I love movies like Spun. If you don't like people taking drugs, definitely don't see this movie. I personally think it's an awesome movie. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Vicious Tyrant
05-13-2005, 03:00 PM

How on earth could you be disappointed? Of course, I haven't seen it since it was in the theaters, so maybe the media has become "quentinized" enough that RD seems a little less explosive, but that movie absolutely blew me away the first time I saw it.

The ear scene

"I don't tip"

"why does he get to be mr black and I have to be mr pink"

"we're both going to just sit here and bleed"

Golly, that was just stunning back in the days.

Hicks
05-13-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm with naturallystoned re: RD. I don't find horrific gore (ear scene) hip or cool or awesome or whatever, I just find it horrific gore.

Some of the other stuff in it was cool, but nothing blew me away.

Now, do I always feel that way about violence/gore? No, but scenes setup like that one, just do nothing good for me.

pollardfreek
05-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Death of a Salesman

Dustin Hoffman and John Malkovic are absolutely brilliant. The whole play is translated well into movie form.

sweabs
05-16-2005, 01:39 AM
I just watched "Rudy" on the weekend.

Very inspiring film. I actually worked out even harder this weekend than usual because of that film. After watching it, you just want to go outside and run (or at least I did).

Harmonica
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
The Americanization of Emily. Excellent film. Brilliantly written.

Bball
05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
National Treasure :blush:

-Bball

pollardfreek
05-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Saving Private Ryan. For the first time. :blush:

Zesty
05-18-2005, 10:28 AM
I saw Unleashed on Friday night. I don't expect much plot from a Jet Li movie, but this one really wasn't too bad in that regard, and of course the action was top-notch.

LouisvilleLip
05-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I saw Unleashed on Friday night. I don't expect much plot from a Jet Li movie, but this one really wasn't too bad in that regard, and of course the action was top-notch.

I just watched it today, very good for a "Jet Li" movie. I was so sick of all his martial arts hip hop movies, this is big change. He actually surrounded himself with some people who could act with an actual storyline and it turned out alright.

Unclebuck
05-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Saving Private Ryan. For the first time. :blush:

Great movie, in my top 5 of all time

PaceBalls
05-19-2005, 02:59 PM
all 30 episodes of twin peaks the tv show. Kinda like a really good 30 hour long movie.

cramerica
05-20-2005, 03:24 AM
Pitch Black w/ Vin Diesel. I liked it.

cramerica
05-20-2005, 03:25 AM
all 30 episodes of twin peaks the tv show. Kinda like a really good 30 hour long movie.
MOVIES BR! NOT TV SHOWS! :);)

Where were you the omaha champion at?

PaceBalls
05-20-2005, 05:09 AM
MOVIES BR! NOT TV SHOWS! :);)

Where were you the omaha champion at?

at a home game one time ;)

Mourning
05-21-2005, 01:28 PM
I just bought "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", needless to say I love this movie ;).

Saw Star Wars Episode III last night, thought it was good. The best of the first three episodes that's for sure. I hated the first episode, the second was better, but episode three has this not so good ending and the links that lead up to episode IV (A New Hope). Offcourse, great special effects and some decent acting, definitely liked Darth Sidous aka senator Palpetine aka the Emperor and offcourse Skywalkers girl, wow! What a babe! And she can actually act pretty decently too.

Bball
05-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Return of the Jedi...

Now that I've seen all 3 in their entirety- Star Wars (NH), The Empire Strikes Back, and RotJ I guess I can take another 20 years to catch up on I, II, III in their entirety.

-Bball

MagicRat
05-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Attack of the Clones.....

I'm now caught up. I'll probably try to see the new one this week....

Harmonica
05-24-2005, 12:41 AM
The Son. Pretty decent foreign flick. By the same guys who won the Palme d'Or at this year's Canne Film Festival with The Child.

Does anyone really care? Probably not.

Doug
05-24-2005, 01:11 PM
Lots of Star Wars around here lately...

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Skaut_Ech
05-24-2005, 01:38 PM
The Son. Pretty decent foreign flick. By the same guys who won the Palme d'Or at this year's Canne Film Festival with The Child.

LOL!! Not all of us are commercial lemmings. BTW, Oldboy is going to be at Key Cinemas starting June 3. I've made a mental note to catch it. I hadn't heard about the Son or The Child. I'm going to have to find out about them.

Also, do you like Jim Jarmusch?? Ghost Dog is one of my favorite movies. (Not of all time, but a real fav.) He's got a movie coming out with Bill Murray called Broken Flowers that I have GOT to see.

Also, just re-re-watched Iron Giant last nite. STILL chokes me up at the end. I think this is a much, much bettermovie than people realize and it probably gets written off just casue it's animated. Yeah, it's got some familira trappings to it, but really effective dialogue and the film's got genuine, without being smaltzty or cloying, heart. Iron Giant IS in my all time favs, along with Ran and Pulp Fiction. Just a really enjoyable, well made movie.

MagicRat
05-24-2005, 02:55 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I have Ikiru, Badlands and A Fistful of Dynamite on my desk at home waiting to be watched......

MagicRat
05-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Revenge of the Sith.....

Bball
05-25-2005, 02:07 PM
The Aviator

I didn't like the pacing...

-Bball

Mourning
05-25-2005, 03:16 PM
Just saw "The Eye", I think it was a Hong Kong thriller/horror movie about a blind girl who gets an eye implant and than starts seeying real strange things. Pretty good movie.

Also just saw "For A Few Dollars More" and "Tombstone" again. Loved them a few years ago and well... I still do.

Regards,

Harmonica
05-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Also, do you like Jim Jarmusch?? Ghost Dog is one of my favorite movies. (Not of all time, but a real fav.) He's got a movie coming out with Bill Murray called Broken Flowers that I have GOT to see.
I do like Jarmusch. Ever see Dead Man with Johnny Depp? Pretty incredible. MagicRat, you'd dig it the most as it's a Western. Looking forward to Broken Flowers as well.

Also, just re-re-watched Iron Giant last nite. STILL chokes me up at the end. I think this is a much, much bettermovie than people realize and it probably gets written off just cause it's animated. Yeah, it's got some familira trappings to it, but really effective dialogue and the film's got genuine, without being smaltzty or cloying, heart. Iron Giant IS in my all time favs, along with Ran and Pulp Fiction. Just a really enjoyable, well made movie.
Iron Giant is one of the few animated films in my DVD collection.

Harmonica
05-25-2005, 03:53 PM
You follow this...

If it makes you feel any better, I have Ikiru, Badlands and A Fistful of Dynamite on my desk at home waiting to be watched...
...with this?

Revenge of the Sith...
Now I see where your priorities lie.

MagicRat
05-25-2005, 04:00 PM
You follow this...

...with this?

Now I see where your priorities lie.

I couldn't find Ikiru playing at any of my local theaters......:whoknows:

indytoad
05-25-2005, 05:05 PM
In America and The Life Aquatic. Both were pretty enjoyable.

IndyToad
Mutiny on the Bellafonte

Harmonica
05-25-2005, 09:19 PM
I couldn't find Ikiru playing at any of my local theaters......:whoknows:

You said you had it sitting on your desk at home. Ever see Dean Man? I mentioned it above. It's a Western...of sorts. I'm sure you'd like it.

MagicRat
05-26-2005, 08:59 AM
You said you had it sitting on your desk at home.

Yeah, but the babysitter would've thought it was weird if we had stayed home and watched it......

Ever see Dean Man? I mentioned it above. It's a Western...of sorts. I'm sure you'd like it.

Haven't seen it, but I'll add it to my list. Right now I have the 3 mentioned above plus Sideways, The Terminal, Eternal Sunshine...., American Splendor, Closer, and Masked and Anonymous. I'm a little behind.

Plus I'm about a hundred pages in to Dylan's Chronicles, Volume 1, I have the Leone biography Something to do with Death and I need to learn how to beat the Pecks at Halo2.......

Mourning
05-26-2005, 12:36 PM
I hated the Terminal, but Eternall Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a very good movie. Very original, great plot, funny and moving.

Regards,

Kraft
05-26-2005, 08:10 PM
"Fargo"
"Lola Rennt"
"Memento"

I had seen them all before. I was way busy last night.

kerosene
05-27-2005, 04:30 PM
'When We Were Kings'
And wow weren't those clips of Foreman brutal? He looked amazing back then. I found Ali's comments on the cream of black America joining the cream of black Africa interesting considering his rejection of military service in that Mobutu was a brutal, opressive dictator who was propped up for years by the U.S. that had risen to power by virtue of his willingness to be a puppet of the West. I'm of the opinion that the Belgians were actively involved in Lumumba's murder (the CIA were there, they just never had a good enough opportunity to do it and once they saw someone else was going to do the dirty work they took a step back). Anyway, I found it fascinating. This all occurred when I was a child so it was cool to see the footage after reading about this before. It reinforced Ali's stature as an American icon; I'd really like to find a cool Ali t-shirt now or something, heh.

Also, the guy in Ali's posse with the sort of mohawk (couldn't tell if that was his trainer in some of the clips, might have been), didn't he play Bumpy Jonas' bodyguard in Shaft? I'm positive it's the same guy.

Harmonica
05-28-2005, 08:24 PM
The Hustler with Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason and George C. Scott. 1961. Absolutely fantastic and I can't believe I haven't seen it until now. Is there any actor that has had a better string of great roles than Paul Newman? The Hustler, Hud, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting. And George C. Scott is simply a joy to watch on-screen. His mannerisms are amazing. Just watch this and Dr. Strangelove to see what I mean.

Mourning
05-29-2005, 08:00 AM
Just saw "Pi". Wow! Impressive movie, which I will have to see again sometime soon, because ... it leaves open some questionmarks.

Regards,

pollardfreek
05-29-2005, 11:08 AM
A League of Their Own

obnoxiousmodesty
05-29-2005, 12:36 PM
In the past month, I've seen the following, which I've rated on a four star system...

The Children's Hour (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054743/) ****
Sunset Boulevard (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043014/) ***
Unforgiven (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/) *
The Graduate (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061722/) *
Stagecoach (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031971/) ***
It Happened One Night (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025316/) ****
Doctor Zhivago (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059113/) **

Harmonica
05-29-2005, 03:06 PM
In the past month, I've seen the following, which I've rated on a four star system...

The Children's Hour (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054743/) ****
Sunset Boulevard (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043014/) ***
Unforgiven (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/) *
The Graduate (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061722/) *
Stagecoach (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031971/) ***
It Happened One Night (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025316/) ****
Doctor Zhivago (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059113/) **

Weeping Jesus on the cross. You gave Unforgiven and The Graduate one star each? Wow.

Skaut_Ech
05-29-2005, 09:55 PM
Weeping Jesus on the cross. You gave Unforgiven and The Graduate one star each? Wow.

Ditto. Wow. Amazing.

MagicRat
05-29-2005, 11:15 PM
The Hustler with Paul Newman, Jackie Gleason and George C. Scott. 1961. Absolutely fantastic and I can't believe I haven't seen it until now. Is there any actor that has had a better string of great roles than Paul Newman? The Hustler, Hud, Cool Hand Luke, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Sting. And George C. Scott is simply a joy to watch on-screen. His mannerisms are amazing. Just watch this and Dr. Strangelove to see what I mean.

How did you not see that until now? Wow. That's been one of my favorites for years. Ran out and got the dvd the day it was released......

All of those Paul Newman movies are among my all-time favorites. I don't know how Hud isn't in my dvd collection, now that I think about it. Have it on VHS and also have the novel Horseman, Pass By on which it is based....

obnoxiousmodesty
05-29-2005, 11:20 PM
Everyone I've talked to thinks I'm insane for disliking The Graduate and Unforgiven. And hey, that's fine. I simply could not connect with those movies in any way whatsoever, so that's a problem for me right there. Exascerbating the issue is the basic premises of the films, which I find to be very, very good, while finding the execution of the storylines to be poor. Nothing irritates me more as a viewer than to see a great idea not taken to what I perceive as its potential. I felt each film left something behind that I couldn't grasp. I don't even dislike The Graduate or Unforgiven in the strictest sense either; it's more of a frustration factor when comparing what I believe I needed to see fulfilled versus the actual product.

And no, I cannot in any way describe what I wish I'd seen. It's all about how a story works its way into an individual's emotional construct. In this case, these stories didn't touch me.

Skaut_Ech
05-29-2005, 11:35 PM
Everyone I've talked to thinks I'm insane for disliking The Graduate and Unforgiven. And hey, that's fine. I simply could not connect with those movies in any way whatsoever, so that's a problem for me right there. Exascerbating the issue is the basic premises of the films, which I find to be very, very good, while finding the execution of the storylines to be poor. Nothing irritates me more as a viewer than to see a great idea not taken to what I perceive as its potential. I felt each film left something behind that I couldn't grasp. I don't even dislike The Graduate or Unforgiven in the strictest sense either; it's more of a frustration factor when comparing what I believe I needed to see fulfilled versus the actual product.

And no, I cannot in any way describe what I wish I'd seen. It's all about how a story works its way into an individual's emotional construct. In this case, these stories didn't touch me.

I can understand your feelings a bit about the Graduate. I personally don't think the film ages well. It probably was a LOT more effective as a reflection of the times when it came out. If you can't relate to the midset of society at the time, that might hinder your appreciation more than a little bit.

For the record, I don't think it's that great of a movie, but definitely not a one star movie.

Unforgiven, on the other hand, is a perfect movie,....and I don't say that about many films. I don't see how you think it wasn't executed well. Part of what made it great, for me, is that you can take it on a lot of levels. You can take it as a sendup of old westerns (I'm okay...it's just a flesh wound, go on without me..). You can take it as a film of one man's redemption, attempt at it. You can take it as a morality tale. I think it deals with such core emotion, everyone can take something away from it that's relatable. I don't understand how you say the film didn't deliver on it's theme, yet you have no idea what you wanted to see.

To each his own, I know, but to make an analogy, one may not be into cars, but I'd think anyone can apprciate the beauty of a Lamborgini, or whatever. I'm shocked anyone could watch Unforgiven and not be duly impressed. To me, it truly is a perfect films: Clever, multi-layered screenplay, sharp acting, great casting and unpredicatable.

Harmonica
05-30-2005, 12:10 AM
What's even more amazing is that Eastwood bought the rights to Unforgiven in the early 70s and waited over 20 years before he did it so he could play the role of an aging gunman. Talk about patience!

The writing is simply brilliant.

Bill Munny: Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.
The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess he had it comin'.
Bill Munny: We all got it comin', kid.

---------

Little Bill Daggett: I don't deserve this... to die like this. I was building a house.
Bill Munny: Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.

Honestly, it's mind-boggling to me how anyone could give this film a one-star rating. The writing alone is worth four.

SoupIsGood
05-30-2005, 01:44 AM
You know, I think I'm going to start a DVD collection. Or at least try to watch a few more movies, I feel like I'm missing out.

I've watched Aviator recently, I didn't really like it. I've also watched the first season of Scrubs over the last few weeks. I love that show.

So, what horror movies does everyone reccomend? Those are my favorite, and I haven't seen many of them.

Harmonica
05-30-2005, 07:03 AM
So, what horror movies does everyone reccomend? Those are my favorite, and I haven't seen many of them.

Horror is one of my least favorite genres, but this should help you out. It's the imdb's (internet movie database) list of top rated horror flicks.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/horror

SoupIsGood
05-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Horror is one of my least favorite genres, but this should help you out. It's the imdb's (internet movie database) list of top rated horror flicks.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/horror

Thanks. It's nice to see Silence of the Lambs up there, that's my favorite movie.

Skaut_Ech
05-30-2005, 12:25 PM
You know, I think I'm going to start a DVD collection. Or at least try to watch a few more movies, I feel like I'm missing out.

I've watched Aviator recently, I didn't really like it. I've also watched the first season of Scrubs over the last few weeks. I love that show.

I'm just now trying to start up a DVD collection. Originally, about 10 years ago, one of the local video stores had a five movies for $10 promotion for the non-new release movies. It was great. I bought an old VCR, that gets past the process that stops you from recording videocassettes and went crazy.

I got around 90-100 videos. Now DVD is king and I've got to start from scratch. Grrr. :unhappy:

With my collection, I try and get stuff you don't/won't see on TV.

I do like horror, but I don't have many. What gets me is I think people confuse slasher films with horror. To me, having a guy running around killing people doesn't make for good horror. It's more like the mentality of watching a train wreck. You're just there to see how someone dies. Personally, I think the Friday the 13th, Jason movies are a huge waste of time. Why people go to see a movei where you know everyone is going to die is beyond me other than to se how many ways someone can get killed.

To me, a good horror movie creeps you out. I think recently the Sixth Sense was excellent. Unfortunately, you've probably already heard the shock ending. Still worth watching though.

Also, you may want ot check out Freaks. It's a REALLY old movie and I know a lot of people won't watch old stuff, but this one is worth a look. It deals with circus people. There's a good summary of it here. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022913/)

I know it's become a bit of a cliche to mention it, but the Exorcist is some good, really creepy viewing.

Recently, Shaun of the Dead was a really good comedy/horror film. A nice sendup of zombie movies and like a good horror film, you don't know just who is going to get killed.

Along the same vein as Shaun of the Dead are Evil Dead one and two. Creepy and funny at the same time. Find some reviews of it. I've yet to meet a horror fan who didn't love these movies.

I think the Fly is a great creep-out movie. I'm talking about the remake with Goldblum.

Okay, I'm going to throw one in here that I haven't seen, but has been highly recommended to me. Near Dark. Read a review of it here. (http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/neardark.htm)

Okay, I'm going to give you one that might challenge you a little. It's going to make you think "this isn't a horror movie". I've heard it called the Thinking Man's horror movie It's called Don't Look Now. The whole movie you get this sense of unease, making you wonder just what's going on. The ending though...phew!! I think it makes it worth it. The ending will leave you wigged out for days.

On a side note, I think Blair With Project gets a bad rap. It got so popular that there seemed to be a backlash against it. Yeah, the movie does get slow at a point, but the creepy factor with the odds noises in the woods, and the growing unease of the "victims' will get you ramped up. BY the time you get to the ending, you'll be creeped out by the final image. It still sticks in my mind clear as day.

Well, those are some horror films that I like. I know evereyone has different filters in what scares them. (To borrow a Stephen King analogy). What scares me might not scare you and vice-versa. It's whatever catches in your filter, but hopefully I gave you a decent start of some pretty mainstream movies you can find on video. :teach: :einstein: :)

Harmonica
05-30-2005, 02:21 PM
Freaks is a great film. "Gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble, one of us, one of us..." That scene made my jaw drop.

SoupIsGood
05-30-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm just now trying to start up a DVD collection. Originally, about 10 years ago, one of the local video stores had a five movies for $10 promotion for the non-new release movies. It was great. I bought an old VCR, that gets past the process that stops you from recording videocassettes and went crazy.

I got around 90-100 videos. Now DVD is king and I've got to start from scratch. Grrr. :unhappy:

With my collection, I try and get stuff you don't/won't see on TV.

I do like horror, but I don't have many. What gets me is I think people confuse slasher films with horror. To me, having a guy running around killing people doesn't make for good horror. It's more like the mentality of watching a train wreck. You're just there to see how someone dies. Personally, I think the Friday the 13th, Jason movies are a huge waste of time. Why people go to see a movei where you know everyone is going to die is beyond me other than to se how many ways someone can get killed.

To me, a good horror movie creeps you out. I think recently the Sixth Sense was excellent. Unfortunately, you've probably already heard the shock ending. Still worth watching though.

Also, you may want ot check out Freaks. It's a REALLY old movie and I know a lot of people won't watch old stuff, but this one is worth a look. It deals with circus people. There's a good summary of it here. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022913/)

I know it's become a bit of a cliche to mention it, but the Exorcist is some good, really creepy viewing.

Recently, Shaun of the Dead was a really good comedy/horror film. A nice sendup of zombie movies and like a good horror film, you don't know just who is going to get killed.

Along the same vein as Shaun of the Dead are Evil Dead one and two. Creepy and funny at the same time. Find some reviews of it. I've yet to meet a horror fan who didn't love these movies.

I think the Fly is a great creep-out movie. I'm talking about the remake with Goldblum.

Okay, I'm going to throw one in here that I haven't seen, but has been highly recommended to me. Near Dark. Read a review of it here. (http://filmfreakcentral.net/dvdreviews/neardark.htm)

Okay, I'm going to give you one that might challenge you a little. It's going to make you think "this isn't a horror movie". I've heard it called the Thinking Man's horror movie It's called Don't Look Now. The whole movie you get this sense of unease, making you wonder just what's going on. The ending though...phew!! I think it makes it worth it. The ending will leave you wigged out for days.

On a side note, I think Blair With Project gets a bad rap. It got so popular that there seemed to be a backlash against it. Yeah, the movie does get slow at a point, but the creepy factor with the odds noises in the woods, and the growing unease of the "victims' will get you ramped up. BY the time you get to the ending, you'll be creeped out by the final image. It still sticks in my mind clear as day.

Well, those are some horror films that I like. I know evereyone has different filters in what scares them. (To borrow a Stephen King analogy). What scares me might not scare you and vice-versa. It's whatever catches in your filter, but hopefully I gave you a decent start of some pretty mainstream movies you can find on video. :teach: :einstein: :)

Thanks for the suggestions. I couldn't agree with you more regarding slasher flicks, BTW. That's why I said I like horror movies, but haven't seen many of them. Often times I go to the theatre and end up watching some stupid "Let's all hold hands and mindlessly kill each other" thing. I don't consider that true horror. Horror is more mental and emotional than it is visual, for me. Although a really gruesome death can add to the movie, if its done right.

Harmonica
05-30-2005, 06:25 PM

You may want to hold off there. HD-DVD is on its way. I never got into vhs, but DVDs turned me into a junkie and I own around 400 now. I guess I'll be keeping my DVD player for a loooong time, because I'll be damned if I'm going to replace 400-500 discs when the new format comes out.

Hicks
05-30-2005, 06:26 PM
I own around 200+ DVDs. HD-DVD will break my heart.

Hicks
05-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Although truthfully, most old movies won't look much better than they already do. I'd probably be OK in most cases (except for the big-budget re-releases like Star Wars or something) just sticking with what I have, but buying all NEW movies I want in HD-DVD.

Harmonica
05-30-2005, 06:30 PM
I own around 200+ DVDs. HD-DVD will break my heart.

Actually, existing DVD media will be playable on HD-DVD drives with only a minor modification of the optical pickup.

Hicks
05-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Actually, existing DVD media will be playable on HD-DVD drives with only a minor modification of the optical pickup.

Oh I know; it should be or if not immediately, quickly will be, backwards-compatible. I was just thinking of all the movies I would be tempted to buy yet again if I thought the picture quality was worth it.

SoupIsGood
05-30-2005, 06:40 PM
When does this HD-DVD thing start?

Do I need an HD TV for it, or is this different?

Hicks
05-30-2005, 07:02 PM
You would want an HDTV to appreciate it.

Harmonica
05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
Stalker by Andrei Tarchovsky. A little slow going, but mesmerizing and dream-like. The Monterey Pop Festival. A great snap shot of a moment in time. It feels like it was filmed yesterday instead of 38 years ago. It's amazing to see all these young musicians joyously celebrating life only to realize that so many of them are no longer with us—Janis Joplin, who gives a jaw-dropping performance, Otis Redding, Jimi Hendrix, John Phillips and Mama Cass from the Mamas and the Papas, Keith Moon from the Who, etc.

Kstat
05-31-2005, 02:33 PM
Empire Falls.

Its an HBO movie, taken off a best-selling novel.

Its a brilliant story of the downfall of a town in Maine. Tragic, funny, and clever. I'd reccomend it to anybody.

indytoad
05-31-2005, 06:22 PM
Saw The Aviator, thought it was all right. I dunno why everyone hates on Dicaprio, seems like a pretty good actor to me. Also just watched Word Wars, which was great.

IndyToad
Squeeze on your skull

Kraft
05-31-2005, 08:35 PM

I tried to give it a chance. And I'm pretty open to seeing and evaluating anything. I was even in the theatre.

The problem was this: I was bored to tears. And the camera work gave me a headache.

But I do love anything that creeps me out. The Ring, mainstream as it was, creeped me out. Stir of Echoes was nice. And despite massive death by zombie, I thought 28 Days Later did some nice things (until the latter third of the film).

Kraft
05-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Saw Ray and Hotel Rwanda recently, too. Jamie Foxx deserved his award. Wow. After awhile, you don't differentiate between Foxx and Charles.

Rwanda has an agenda, but it's still and good story and it's still Don Cheadle. I've studied the genocide before, so it was a 'nice' reminder.

Skaut_Ech
05-31-2005, 11:49 PM
I tried to give it a chance. And I'm pretty open to seeing and evaluating anything. I was even in the theatre.

The problem was this: I was bored to tears. And the camera work gave me a headache.

But I do love anything that creeps me out. The Ring, mainstream as it was, creeped me out. Stir of Echoes was nice. And despite massive death by zombie, I thought 28 Days Later did some nice things (until the latter third of the film).

To be honest, I saw BWP in a theatre and I was starting to think, "I may have to walk out of this movie", then something kinda caught and it held me until that creepy ending. And the Ring was scary, too.

I have a big gripe about American audiences. We won't watch something unless Tom Cruise or some mega-star is in something, while foreign audiences have no qualms about watching our films.

It's a shame because American cinema is raping Asian cinema and remaking stuff, since they can't just play the film here with subtitles. (Heaven forbid people actually have to read something!) Speaking of Cruise, he just bought the remake rights to The Eye, which is a pretty entertaining, if not overly stylish movie that is pretty scary. I hope he can fix the flaws and make a better movie out of it.

Oh yeah, just got done with Million Dollar Baby 15 minutes ago. OMG!! What a smart, excellently written movie. Man, I wonder how many subtle touches people missed. The way he said he'd leave her never, and you knew he was thinking about his daughter. The way thery didn't take the easy way out and make it a poorly matched, ridiculously unbelievable may/december romance like As Good as it Gets..... It's nice to see an understated movie get some recognition. For every piece of crap like the Longest Yard remake that people flock to see, I'm afraid stuff like Million Dollar Baby will be missed. I can't say enough good about it.

Man, I LOVE a movie that haunts you.

Harmonica
06-01-2005, 01:53 AM
Oh yeah, just got done with Million Dollar Baby 15 minutes ago. OMG!! What a smart, excellently written movie. Man, I wonder how many subtle touches people missed. The way he said he'd leave her never, and you knew he was thinking about his daughter. The way thery didn't take the easy way out and make it a poorly matched, ridiculously unbelievable may/december romance like As Good as it Gets..... It's nice to see an understated movie get some recognition. For every piece of crap like the Longest Yard remake that people flock to see, I'm afraid stuff like Million Dollar Baby will be missed. I can't say enough good about it.

Man, I LOVE a movie that haunts you.

Honestly, I just don't get it. Million Dollar Baby is nothing more than a string of clichés and predictable plot twists so nakedly obvious that one wonders how everyone involved kept a straight face. In fact, take away the big names and you'd have a straight-to-video non-entity that would never see the light of any self-respecting critic's top ten. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Skaut_Ech
06-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Honestly, I just don't get it. Million Dollar Baby is nothing more than a string of clichés and predictable plot twists so nakedly obvious that one wonders how everyone involved kept a straight face. In fact, take away the big names and you'd have a straight-to-video non-entity that would never see the light of any self-respecting critic's top ten. But hey, that's just my opinion.

You kill me sometimes.:hmm: :laugh: (misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=19#)

Kraft
06-01-2005, 05:40 PM
I took a lot of German classes through HS and college, along with a German film class. So if you're bored, and don't want to watch Tom Cruise, expand your horizons ...

More recent German cinema:

"Lola Rennt" [English title: "Run Lola Run"]
"Stille nach dem Schuss" ["The Legend of Rita"]
"Nirgendwo in Afrika" ["Nowhere in Africa"]

Old, old film, for people who like silent movies:

"Metropolis"
"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"
"Nosferatu" (pure creepiness)

War issues:

"Jakob the Liar" (not the crappy Robin Williams remake)
"The Murderers are Among Us"

And one of my favorites of all ...

"The Enigma of Kaspar Hausar" or "Every Man for Himself and God Against All"

Skaut_Ech
06-01-2005, 06:09 PM
I took a lot of German classes through HS and college, along with a German film class. So if you're bored, and don't want to watch Tom Cruise, expand your horizons ...

More recent German cinema:

"Lola Rennt" [English title: "Run Lola Run"]
"Stille nach dem Schuss" ["The Legend of Rita"]
"Nirgendwo in Afrika" ["Nowhere in Africa"]

Old, old film, for people who like silent movies:

"Metropolis"
"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"
"Nosferatu" (pure creepiness)

War issues:

"Jakob the Liar" (not the crappy Robin Williams remake)
"The Murderers are Among Us"

And one of my favorites of all ...

"The Enigma of Kaspar Hausar" or "Every Man for Himself and God Against All"

I'ver never really felt the urge to watch any German cinema. What little I've seen, I didn't care for. (Not to paint all of German cinema with one broad stroke.) I do own a copy of Nosferatu and Metropolis, although I never got around to getting the refurbished version of Metropolis (mental note). I did see Lola at the theatre. Metropolis impressed me so much, it made me buy "M" and I bought a book called, "The Fillms of Fritz Lang: Allegories of Vision and Modernity." I'm ashamed to say I never saw Caligari.

My fav films not in the mainstream are old, old film noirs and I love Asian cinema.

Hoop
06-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Movies I've seen in the last 2 weeks:

Shaun Of The Dead I agree with everyone else on here, good movie. I already like the zombie movie genre (28 Days later is probably my fav). Shaun of the Dead is the first one I've seen that was funny on purpose.

The Terminal Very good movie and I was expecting not to like it. Should have known, if it's got Hanks in it, it is usually good.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy I enjoyed it, kinda funny, pretty decent movie. I had no idea what to expect, I've never read any of the books or even heard of it before.

Kraft
06-01-2005, 07:31 PM
I'ver never really felt the urge to watch any German cinema. What little I've seen, I didn't care for. (Not to paint all of German cinema with one broad stroke.) I do own a copy of Nosferatu and Metropolis, although I never got around to getting the refurbished version of Metropolis (mental note). I did see Lola at the theatre. Metropolis impressed me so much, it made me buy "M" and I bought a book called, "The Fillms of Fritz Lang: Allegories of Vision and Modernity." I'm ashamed to say I never saw Caligari.

My fav films not in the mainstream are old, old film noirs and I love Asian cinema.

I can understand not wanting to watch German film. Throughout the middle of the century, you almost could paint German film with one broad stroke (thank you, DEFA). And then there's some acclaimed films that are just painful to sit through -- "The Tin Drum," "Rosa Luxemburg," "Wings of Desire" and "Germany in Autumn" to name a few.

The newer things - like "Nowhere" and "Legend" - are similar, but made exceptionally better. Both feel a lot like "The Pianist."

The only film noir I can think of - German style - is a film called "Happy Birthday, Turke!" It's a whole German film without any references to rebuilding Germany, concentration camps, Nazis, etc.

And for 1919, "Caligari" is pretty amazing. A real story and a meaning for the German audience at the time.

Harmonica
06-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Although not German, The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) by Dreyer is possibly one of the greatest silent films ever. Maria Falconetti gives one of the most powerful performances ever captured on film.

Bball
06-03-2005, 02:43 AM
Ladder 49

-Bball

Lord Helmet
06-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Lords of Dogtown.

Good movie. I liked the music and I also liked Johnny Knoxville being in the movie...:laugh:

SoupIsGood
06-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Watched Office Space tonight. Most of my friends hadn't seen it, so, we, uh, watched it.

I sentence you to a four year term at a Federal POUND ME IN THE *** Prison.

Hicks
06-04-2005, 01:23 AM
I still need to see Office Space. I saw a few minutes on Comedy Central once, but that's it. Came close to buying the DVD twice, but looking at it it's clear it's an old release that's past due for a new release with special features, and probably better picture.

Shade
06-04-2005, 12:29 PM
I just saw The Longest Yard (remake). It was pretty good.

I'm really looking forward to the next few weeks. High Tension, Batman Begins, Land of the Dead, Fantastic Four, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory all look interesting.

Shade
06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
I still need to see Office Space. I saw a few minutes on Comedy Central once, but that's it. Came close to buying the DVD twice, but looking at it it's clear it's an old release that's past due for a new release with special features, and probably better picture.

OMG, you have GOT to be kidding me. WTF are you doing posting here? WATCH IT!!!!! NOW!!!!! :soapbox:

Lord Helmet
06-04-2005, 12:43 PM
OMG, you have GOT to be kidding me. WTF are you doing posting here? WATCH IT!!!!! NOW!!!!! :soapbox:
I've never seen it, either.:blush: :zip:

Shade
06-04-2005, 02:34 PM
I've never seen it, either.:blush: :zip:

Stupid kids... :shakehead ;)

DrBadd01
06-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Cinderella Man

SoupIsGood
06-04-2005, 05:27 PM
And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire...

Stryder
06-05-2005, 12:50 AM
Although not German, The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928) by Dreyer is possibly one of the greatest silent films ever. Maria Falconetti gives one of the most powerful performances ever captured on film.

Excellent choice.

cramerica
06-05-2005, 12:51 PM
The Longest Yard.

Kegboy
06-05-2005, 01:14 PM
Stupid kids... :shakehead ;)

I don't think you can really appreciate it until you've worked in an office.

My first job out of school, I used to joke that it was Office Space. It was a software company, my boss's name was remarkably close to Bill Lumberg, we had layoffs, I knocked a wall out of my cube, etc.

Then I went to work for Cummins, where I was working in the basement (even though there were literally acres of empty desks upstairs), the commute was a ***** and a half, people were always talking about TPS reports, management did nothing besides have meetings, and my job basically consisted of playing solitaire. Even the people I worked with looked exactly like from the movie. There were doppelgangers for Michael Bolton, Samir, etc. It was really quite scary.

Needless to say I don't miss working in an office.

indytoad
06-05-2005, 01:34 PM
Finally saw Death Becomes Her in its entirety the other day. On USA...or maybe it was TBS...or TNT...I don't really remember.

IndyToad
Has the eyesight of an eggplant

MagicRat
06-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Sideways....

DrBadd01
06-05-2005, 06:38 PM
Sideways....

Really Good movie.

Hicks
06-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Revenge of the Sith. After watching it again, I like it better than I did going in.

Kraft
06-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Watched "City of God" again last night. An amazing, horrific, stinging story.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-05-2005, 09:38 PM
The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0238924/) ***
Network (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/) **½
Rear Window (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0047396/) ****
American Graffiti (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0069704/) ***½

Harmonica
06-05-2005, 10:19 PM
The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0238924/) ***
Network (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0074958/) **½
Rear Window (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0047396/) ****
American Graffiti (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0069704/) ***½

:shakehead Two-and-a-half stars for Network. Only one of the best-written films ever.

"You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and you...must...atone!"

indytoad
06-06-2005, 02:00 AM
Just saw Darkness. Good atmosphere, but it used pretty much every single haunted house cliche in the book. Great ending, but it was riddled with plot holes. It was incredibly, stunningly average. Which is more than can be said for most horror films.

IndyToad
Don't run up the stairs!

SoupIsGood
06-06-2005, 03:12 AM
I watched Hannibal the other day. I thought it relied too heavily on gore. It also was probably at best a decent movie, but it featured my favorite actor, villan, and storyline, so it was great in my book.

They need to have the orginal Starling, though. That girl just doesn't cut it.

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Tonight = Aviator. **** Second time seeing this one. Awesome. Simply Awesome movie.

Team America = cool animation, but pretty stupid humor.

Revenge of the Sith. **** Awesome. The best FX I've ever seen, hands down.

Supersize Me = Interesting documentary style about McDonalds.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-06-2005, 05:55 PM
:shakehead Two-and-a-half stars for Network. Only one of the best-written films ever.

"You have meddled with the primal forces of nature, Mr. Beale, and you...must...atone!"

I loved that scene. Totally priceless. Actually, that entire film is rife with excellent quotes.

DrBadd01
06-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Lord of Dogtown

Harmonica
06-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Lord of Dogtown

How was it? As good as Dogtown and Z Boys?

Skaut_Ech
06-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Don't you hate when you waste your time on crap? I just re-watched Mystery Men to see if it was just as bad as the first time I saw it in the theatre.

It was.

I was lying in bed and killing some time before going to sleep and TBS was showing it. They could have done so, SO much more with it. They were so busy trying to be breaod with their parody humor of Superheros, it just ended up being really unfunny. I can't believe they had so many really strong actors and made them seem ineffectual and amatuerish. For some reason, Bill Macy was able to infuse some real life soulfulness into his role, but the others....:yuck:

And would someone please make Ben Stiller go away. He has his moments, but the guy is the new Steve Guttenberg of the modern era: He's in everything, isn't particularly funny, nor memorable nor offensive. Just a mildly amusing cipher who gets far more work than he should.

It's an okay movie to pass the time, but man, they truly missed the mark on what could have been some really cutting comedy.

Suaveness
06-08-2005, 12:48 AM

I don't know what to say....

Bball
06-08-2005, 03:00 AM
Sling Blade.
It was on HDNet Movies this evening.
:blush: This was the first time I had seen it.

-Bball

Skaut_Ech
06-08-2005, 07:27 AM
How funny was it when Walsh was in the looney bin and draggggeeeedd that chair for a full 1/2 minute, as he moved it over to sit next to Billy Bob?

ABADays
06-08-2005, 08:04 AM
Just saw Million Dollar Baby last night.

Harmonica
06-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Just saw Million Dollar Baby last night.

I'm sorry.

MagicRat
06-08-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry.

Dear Harmonica,

:tongue:

Sincerely,

The Man with No Name
http://oscars.sky.com/images/l-g-clint-eastwood-with-awa.jpg

Harmonica
06-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Dear Harmonica,

Sincerely,

The Man with No Name
http://oscars.sky.com/images/l-g-clint-eastwood-with-awa.jpg

I'd be careful about using the Oscars to validate your feelings. I repeat: Ron Howard has an Oscar, Martin Scorsese and Stanley Kubrick don't.

MagicRat
06-08-2005, 01:25 PM
I'd be careful about using the Oscars to validate your feelings. I repeat: Ron Howard has an Oscar, Martin Scorsese and Stanley Kubrick don't.

I haven't seen Million Dollar Baby, so I can't comment on it.

As for Opie, I celebrate the man's entire catalog.

Cinderella Man (2005)
The Missing (2003/I)
A Beautiful Mind (2001)
How the Grinch Stole Christmas (2000)
Edtv (1999)
Ransom (1996)
Apollo 13 (1995)
The Paper (1994)
Far and Away (1992)
Backdraft (1991)
Parenthood (1989)
Willow (1988)
Gung Ho (1986)
Cocoon (1985)
Splash (1984)
Night Shift (1982)

Well, at least I celebrate Night Shift.......
(http://www.craigbe.com/newdbs/year.asp?years=1982)

SycamoreKen
06-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Empire Strikes Back. Can't believe i haven't seen the last one yet.

SoupIsGood
06-09-2005, 01:13 AM
There's something about Mary.

Funny at times, but pretty stupid overall.

Diaz is hot, though.

Harmonica
06-09-2005, 01:16 AM
There's something about Mary.

Funny at times, but pretty stupid overall.

Diaz is hot, though.

Not in person she ain't. Very flat ***. Horsey face.

Dr Huxtable
06-09-2005, 01:21 AM
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learend to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Great movie, I wasn't alive during the Cold War era so I don't know how much fear there really was, but this is still a good movie.

Harmonica
06-09-2005, 01:27 AM
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learend to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Great movie, I wasn't alive during the Cold War era so I don't know how much fear there really was, but this is still a good movie.

One of my top 10. Simply amazing.

SoupIsGood
06-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Not in person she ain't. Very flat ***. Horsey face.

You just ruined the movie for me. :tongue:

Actually, I've heard that kind of stuff before. It's too bad, because I think I've only seen her in The Mask and TSAM, and she's smokin in those.

The Mask, though, oh God, is that movie stupid. I can't believe it got a sequel.

Harmonica
06-09-2005, 01:39 AM
You just ruined the movie for me. :tongue:

Good. My master plan is working already.

SoupIsGood
06-09-2005, 02:00 PM
I rented Shawshank Redemption the other day, popped in the DVD, and me and my friend were greeted by Booty Call written across some woman's backside. (Don't ask where the play icon was :disturbed)

Now, normally that kind of movie would be okay, but I wasn't really in the mood. My friend, yeah, she didn't really appreciate it either.

What a pisser. I want to see that movie. (Shawshank)

Spicoli
06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
I rented Shawshank Redemption the other day, popped in the DVD, and me and my friend were greeted by Booty Call written across some woman's backside. (Don't ask where the play icon was :disturbed)

Now, normally that kind of movie would be okay, but I wasn't really in the mood. My friend, yeah, she didn't really appreciate it either.

What a pisser. I want to see that movie. (Shawshank)

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'. You're damn right.

Thank ya very kindly...

Hicks
06-09-2005, 02:34 PM
Shawshank is a great movie.

Doug
06-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Revenge of the Sith

I'll post my thoughts in one of the other ROTS threads when I get a chance.

SycamoreKen
06-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I saw Revenge of the Sith this afternoon. Awsome.

sweabs
06-09-2005, 11:06 PM
I can't believe there are still people who haven't seen Shawshank. Easily one of my top 3 favourite movies of all time.

Anyway, I saw Cinderella Man 2 nights ago. Good movie, classic fairy-tale.

SoupIsGood
06-10-2005, 01:04 AM
I can't believe there are still people who haven't seen Shawshank. Easily one of my top 3 favourite movies of all time.

We got it exchanged today, I'll likely watch it pretty soon. :)

Probably sometime after ACT's Saturday.

DrBadd01
06-10-2005, 01:56 AM
How was it? As good as Dogtown and Z Boys?

It was ok. I Thought that Emile Hersh (sp?) and Heath Ledger were good in it. However, I wouldn't see it again if I had a choice.

Dr Huxtable
06-10-2005, 02:23 AM
2001: A Space Odyssey.

One Kubrick film after the other. :)

I liked Dr. Strangelove better than this, but this one was still enjoyable. The effects are amazing for being made in 1968. It's also one of those movies that doesn't tell you what exactly what is what, and I like that every once in a while. Makes for interesting conversations.

If you haven't seen this though, be warned that it might rub you the wrong way because it is a very slow movie with very little dialogue.

DrBadd01
06-10-2005, 02:56 AM
both strangelove and 2001 are two of my favoritte Kubrick films. However,I would say that my personal favoritte is A Clockwork Orange. I love the message it discussess,and see it as his best work. That being said it is 2001 is also a great film. especially with its limited dialogue. I always liked the fact that it has so little dialogue.

Mourning
06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Just saw "Papparazzi". Nothing special, nice to see once and that's it.

Regards,

SycamoreKen
06-10-2005, 11:03 PM
I saw ROTS agian today. Went with my wife yesterday and a friend today. Even if you just have a small interest in the movie, it is one you have to see at least once for the Sp. Effects. Especially the opening battle sequence.

MagicRat
06-10-2005, 11:55 PM
The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie

Suaveness
06-11-2005, 12:26 AM
Sleepless in Seattle....man I love this movie

Harmonica
06-11-2005, 02:08 AM
The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie

Daaaaamn, Buñuel. Never thought I'd see one of his films mentioned here. What did you think?

MagicRat
06-11-2005, 02:43 AM
Daaaaamn, Buñuel. Never thought I'd see one of his films mentioned here. What did you think?

It was something. Started out kind of odd and then got downright bizarre. But no matter how bizarre it got, they kept going through the motions.

I got some chuckles out of it. Some of it made me scratch my head.

It put my wife to sleep pretty quickly.......

And those people have to be starving. They never get to eat and they keep trudging down the road to nowhere......

Harmonica
06-11-2005, 03:19 AM
It was something. Started out kind of odd and then got downright bizarre. But no matter how bizarre it got, they kept going through the motions.

I got some chuckles out of it. Some of it made me scratch my head.

It put my wife to sleep pretty quickly.......

And those people have to be starving. They never get to eat and they keep trudging down the road to nowhere......

That's the movie in a nutshell, metaphorically speaking. Funny about your wife.

kerosene
06-11-2005, 02:07 PM
Lady Snowblood & Lady Snowblood: Love Song Of Vengeance

Kraft
06-11-2005, 03:24 PM
"Almost Famous," again. It's ridiculous how many times I've seen that movie.

Harmonica
06-11-2005, 05:09 PM

Have you seen Untitled, the director's cut? So much better than the theatrical release. It's a different movie.

Unclebuck
06-11-2005, 10:48 PM
I just saw "Crash" tonight in the theaters.

I knew the reviews were good and I had heard it was an excellent movie, but I must admit I did not expect it to be that good.

I had heard it was about race relations in LA. I thought well how entertaining could that be.

The movie pulls you in a within 20 minutes and you really care about the characters and there are a lot of characters in this movie. There were about 4 or 5 scenes that I'll never forget. Great writing, great acting, great directing. So many excellent performances.

One of the best things I can ever say about a movie is I did not want it to end, I wanted to know what happened next to the characters. It is rare indeed when I feel like that

I cannot recommend it enough.

Stryder
06-11-2005, 10:54 PM
Watched Collateral with Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx.

Thought it was good.

Stryder
06-11-2005, 10:54 PM

I love that movie.

Skaut_Ech
06-11-2005, 11:35 PM
I just saw "Crash" tonight in the theaters.

I knew the reviews were good and I had heard it was an excellent movie, but I must admit I did not expect it to be that good.

I had heard it was about race relations in LA. I thought well how entertaining could that be.

The movie pulls you in a within 20 minutes and you really care about the characters and there are a lot of characters in this movie. There were about 4 or 5 scenes that I'll never forget. Great writing, great acting, great directing. So many excellent performances.

One of the best things I can ever say about a movie is I did not want it to end, I wanted to know what happened next to the characters. It is rare indeed when I feel like that

I cannot recommend it enough.

I REALLY want to see "crash", but I can't seem to make time to go to the theatre. It looks like my kind of movie.

BTW, Just got done with Garden State. I love a restrained movie. Braniff could have gone over the top a dozen times, but his restraint and faith that the audience will "get it" without spelling everything out for them was comforting. Natalie Portman was her usual wonderful, strong, yet wounded, yet clever, yet knowing self. I can't imagine the movie without her. I think it's a wonderful movie that makes you think about the self generated inertia in one's life. Not a "wow" movie, but one that stays with you and is ultimately pretty uplifting and satisfying in a non-cliche way.

DrBadd01
06-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Manchurain Candidate (2004) the original is better but the new one isn't that bad.

Peck
06-12-2005, 01:51 AM
Manchurain Candidate (2004) the original is better but the new one isn't that bad.

I love the original. That is truely a creepy film.

DrBadd01
06-12-2005, 03:55 PM
I entirely agree; both movies have great casts, but the Frankenheimer version is a exetremly creepy, what with the symbol is of the queen of spades, and the mother. In the new one the mother thing is there, but it it entirley redone to fit todays political landscape, and while that is cool, it isn't as unique as the first one.

DrBadd01
06-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Oh, and I will add another one to the lst. . . .
Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Good movie if you want to see a lot of explosions, however the plot was kind of see through. I am however curious if there is any connection to the movie fight club, outside of Brad Pitt. Once you see the movie you will understand why I mention that aspect.

Hoop
06-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Shawshank is a great movie.
Great, great movie, one of my all time favorites. I watch it at least once a year.

MagicRat
06-12-2005, 08:11 PM
Rashomon

Harmonica
06-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Rashomon

First time?

MagicRat
06-13-2005, 12:49 AM
First time?

Yeah.

Had to watch this one by myself after the Discreet Charm.... debacle, though........

Harmonica
06-13-2005, 01:28 AM
Yeah.

Had to watch this one by myself after the Discreet Charm.... debacle, though........

:chuckle:

Yeah, I know what you mean.

DrBadd01
06-13-2005, 02:25 AM
Heat. There something about seeing Robert De Niro, and Al Pacino duke it out that is SO entertaining. Not to mention the big shoot out on the streets of LA that is very well done.

Spicoli
06-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels.

Guy Ritchie films are fun.

pollardfreek
06-13-2005, 10:26 AM
The Longest Yard-Pretty much sucked. Original was 1000x times better. Chris Rock should just put a bullet in his head.

Kicking and Screaming-Awesome. Will Ferrell+Soccer=Pollardfreek's greatest wet dream.

Mourning
06-13-2005, 12:22 PM
Great, great movie, one of my all time favorites. I watch it at least once a year.

I have that with "Silence of the Lambs" and "American History X".

Harmonica
06-13-2005, 01:31 PM

I liked Silence of the Lambs when it came out, but it didn't stand up to subsequent viewings for me. And I detested American History X from the beginning because it was so disingenuous. I know I'm pretty much in the minority though when it comes to both films.

Skaut_Ech
06-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Well I just got Layer Cake. Hopefully I'm going to try and watch it over the next few days.

Badd, I LOVE Heat. now THAT is how you film a gun battle. No dramatic music. No trick shooting. I like Michael Mann anyways. Matter of fact, Mann can do no wrong far as I'm concerned. I think think he's a pretty solid stylized, but not self consciously so, director.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-13-2005, 06:41 PM
I watched Houseguest with the great Sinbad on Saturday night and then on Sunday night, I watched Beyond the Sea.

cramerica
06-13-2005, 07:06 PM
I watched Houseguest with the great Sinbad on Saturday night and then on Sunday night, I watched Beyond the Sea.
Houseguest is a very good comedy. Sinbad and Phil Hartman made a good combo.

Harmonica
06-14-2005, 06:39 AM
The Long Good Friday. Late 70s British gangster film starring Bob Hoskins. Pretty damn great.

Doug
06-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Kill Bill, Vol I

Kill Bill, Vol II

I had been wanting to see these for a long, long time. But I knew my wife wouldn't like them. She was out of town over the weekend.

The first was pretty good. The 2nd was really, really good.

Hicks
06-14-2005, 12:33 PM

That's about how I felt as well when I saw them the first time.

Natston
06-14-2005, 12:46 PM
The Day After Tomorrow

It was okay, although I thought the whole part with the wolves was lame as hell.

MagicRat
06-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Kill Bill, Vol I

Kill Bill, Vol II

I had been wanting to see these for a long, long time. But I knew my wife wouldn't like them. She was out of town over the weekend.

How did the kids like those?.......

RWB
06-14-2005, 05:11 PM

The mouth to the curb scene freaks me out every time in X. :o

Since86
06-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Watched Ladder 49 the other night. I must say that it was an excellent movie. Gets pretty emotional at the end, but great none the less.

Doug
06-14-2005, 05:19 PM
How did the kids like those?.......

LOL!

Fortunately, they weren't home either. However, they can see the TV from the upstairs. Sometimes they'll sneak out of their bedrooms. One of them watched almost a whole season of Survivor that way. Once we figured it out, we just started taping it for them.

MagicRat
06-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Höstsonaten.......

Kraft
06-15-2005, 01:01 AM
Has anyone seen the film Once Were Warriors? I've seen it once. I've never found anyone else that has seen it. I now own it, but haven't taken it out of the plastic because I'm afraid to watch it again. I want to. It's an incredible film. But there are scenes in this movie that are more difficult to see than anything I've ever seen. It's haunting.

Kraft
06-15-2005, 01:07 AM
Recent entires ...

Rewatched: "Gangs of New York," "Mystic River" and "Say Anything"

Stayed up all night with HBO to watch films that were, well ... they were films, alright. "Anything Else" and "Underworld"

Also a comment on some previous discussion of "The Shawshank Redemption." Yes, it's a great movie. I agree. I own it and watch it way too often. The thing that makes it greater, to me at least, is that so many different types of people like the film. It seems to strike a chord with a variety of personality types.