PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

GO!!!!!
09-20-2008, 04:39 AM
Step Brothers...

Wasn’t bad but wasn’t brilliant either...

I kind of expected it to be funnier... but guess Farrell is running out of ideas

Anchorman and Blade of Glory would still be there better ones, that one with the dorm/College wasen’t to bad but IMO Semi-Pro and Step Brothers are just fading...

Hopefully when i see Tropic Thunder next week it’ll restore my faith in comedy films...

sweabs
09-20-2008, 10:29 AM
The Happening

Not bad.

Kuq_e_Zi91
09-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Street Kings

Amazing acting by everybody in it. Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitaker, Hugh Laurie...I could go on. It also had appearances by Cedric the Entertainer, Common and The Game. Great storyline. Watch it.

Bball
09-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Did I just read "amazing acting" and "Keanu Reeves" in the same review??? I don't recall ever seeing that before! ;)

avoidingtheclowns
09-24-2008, 02:42 PM
Street Kings

Amazing acting by everybody in it. Keanu Reeves, Forest Whitaker, Hugh Laurie...I could go on. It also had appearances by Cedric the Entertainer, Common and The Game. Great storyline. Watch it.

we must not have seen the same movie

ilive4sports
09-24-2008, 03:10 PM
Step Brothers...

Wasnít bad but wasnít brilliant either...

I kind of expected it to be funnier... but guess Farrell is running out of ideas

Anchorman and Blade of Glory would still be there better ones, that one with the dorm/College wasenít to bad but IMO Semi-Pro and Step Brothers are just fading...

Hopefully when i see Tropic Thunder next week itíll restore my faith in comedy films...

I loved Step Brothers, funnier than i thought it was going to be. Boats N Hoes hahaha. Personally I think it was his second best movie only after Anchorman which will never be topped.

Old School is the college movie you are refering to. I'd put that ahead of Step Brothers, but Farrell isnt the main character in there, but does play a key role.

Last movie I watched, ummm The Rocker i guess. Can't remember if i have watched any in the last month or not out of theaters. The Rocker is funny, good movie. I saw it right after watching Pineapple Express. It didnt come near Pineapple, but it was funny.

N8R
09-25-2008, 12:09 AM
Get Smart

I found it to be very funny. It actually had me laughing out loud by myself. It was all the one liners delivered by Carrell in his straight faced way he does. I enjoyed it but I figured out some of the endi9ng before I was supposed to I think.

Twes
09-26-2008, 02:25 PM
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Bob Ford

Black Snake Moan

Gyron
09-26-2008, 05:00 PM
American Gangster- Pretty good, although I thought the ending was very rushed.....

N8R
09-28-2008, 04:48 AM
The Visitor

I enjoyed it. It isn't my normal style of movie that I watch and enjoy but I watched and I enjoyed.

JayRedd
09-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Burn After Reading

I liked it quite a bit although I can imagine many folk won't. The ending is great and most of the individual performances are enjoyable, even though none of them are particularly compelling. Clooney was the best part of the flick, which was a nice surprise since I thought he just had a bit part in it.

N8R
09-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Black Snake Moan

I did not know Justin TImberlake was in this Movie. It was a pretty good flick. Not about what I thought it was going to be but worth a watch.

N8R
09-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Mirrors

Had a stupid premise and wasn't carried out very well. There were times that made me cringe and be scared but mostly it was myself scaring me and not the movie. Poorly acted by the kids and the wife wasnt any better. Sutherland was his usual monotone self and played the same character that he plays in everything. Glad I didnt pay to see this.

Unclebuck
09-29-2008, 09:16 AM
Eagle Eye

it was OK

N8R
10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
The Rocker

When I read the reviews on this movie I had very low expectations and I actually liked this movie a lot. The lead singer of the band A.D.D. was a terrible actor but other than him the rest of the movie was great. Rainn Wilson was very good and very funny.

Bball
10-02-2008, 03:35 PM
"Iron Man"

It was 'fun' but I think my expectations were a little too high. I didn't think it lived up to the hype I'd heard. But it was an enjoyable movie for an action/comic flick. I didn't think it compared with "The Dark Knight" though.

-Bball

Unclebuck
10-02-2008, 04:24 PM
"Iron Man"

It was 'fun' but I think my expectations were a little too high. I didn't think it lived up to the hype I'd heard. But it was an enjoyable movie for an action/comic flick. I didn't think it compared with "The Dark Knight" though.

-Bball

Not to be critical of your opinion in anyway - I'm just making a general comment to see if others might agree with me. But I often find it very difficult to compare seeing a movie on the big screen to seeing it on DVD - even if it is a big screen TV. Especially movies like Iron man or Dark Knight. Those types of movies are IMo just much better when seen at the theater

Bball
10-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Not to be critical of your opinion in anyway - I'm just making a general comment to see if others might agree with me. But I often find it very difficult to compare seeing a movie on the big screen to seeing it on DVD - even if it is a big screen TV. Especially movies like Iron man or Dark Knight. Those types of movies are IMo just much better when seen at the theater

UB,
I fail to see how my 13" color TV/DVD combo could make any appreciable difference in the plot or action as compared to seeing it in the theater.

OK... I'm kidding. Your point is well taken. And I really watched it on a 53" HDTV with standard DVD (upscaled thru the antique and obsolete HD DVD player (curse you Sony Blu Ray!!!!) with a HTIB audio setup (sub has been changed out for a Dayton powered sub though).

But that's still not the same as the big, big screen in RWB's screening room.... I mean in a theater.

When The Dark Knight comes out I will have a better point of reference since I did see that in the theater.

Normally, the one thing I HATE about theaters is people getting involved in the movie and laughing at the wrong places. I guess if they find something funny, there's not much I can do about it but some people laugh at times where the intention of the movie is NOT to be funny. It breaks the moment. But I digress....
Iron Man seems like a movie where there was some things that were funny and probably enhanced by the crowd laughing along and watching it with a group.

-Bball

N8R
10-03-2008, 12:09 AM
There is a big change with regards to theatre and TV I find. I saw both Iron Man and The Dark Knight in the theatre and I have since watched Iron Man on my TV. It was good on DVD but the size of the screen really does add to the whole experience.

I agree with bball that movie theatre audiences can make or break a movie.

I remember seeing I, Robot in theatres. I liked it but there was a lady in the audience who would not shut up the whole movie, laughing at stupid things and actually talking to the screen "Watch out!" "Don't do that" and so on. Iron Man was better in the threatre is what I am saying.

I remember going to see Gladiator in theatres and I was on drugs at the time and the part where Caesar is almost kissing his sister I said "Dude, that's your sister" A little too loudly and the audience ended up laughing. It may have taken people out of their movie going experience. Rcarey/sweabs can vouch for me on that one.

Unclebuck
10-03-2008, 09:26 AM
I saw Iron Man twice in the movie theater and liked it both times very much. I did watch Iron man last week on DVD and was rather bored. Sure some of that can be attributed to the third time watching it but also seeing it on the small screen.

Besides the big screen vs small screen thing - there are a couple of other factors that tend to make seeing a movie in a movie theater much better. There are no distractions (oh sure you might have an annoying memeber of the audience) but when you are at hoime, the phone might ring, someone might come to your door, your wife, kids, brother sister, friend might be in the room distracting you. or you might be thinking that you really don't have time to watch this - I'll watch it later.

Also something about paying $5 to $12 for a movie, something about leaving the house - taking time to drive to the theater - you just tend to really want to like the movie more than the one where you rent a DVD - perhaps because you just didn't think it was good enough in the first place to see it when it first came out

N8R
10-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Field Of Dreams

It was on Tv while I was at work so I tuned in for it. Forgot how good it was. I also forgot most of the movie I guess. All I remembered was the playing of baseball and "If you build it He will come."

Major Cold
10-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Ironman

I liked it better than anticipated. RDJ has finally come around. A man as talented as him should never through it away on drugs.

sweabs
10-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Just stopping by to say I vouch for Newman.

Also, I plan on watching Get Smart tonight.

A few days ago I watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall. It was funny sometimes...but not really.

Peck
10-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Eagle Eye.

As my wife put it, this is a combination of "War Games", "Flight of the Navigator" & "Maximum Overdrive". However it was still pretty entertaining.

Whoever did thier research for Indianapolis should be fired though.

BTW, for such a podunk state that no one wants to ever be in we sure are in a lot of movie and tv shows.

DisplacedKnick
10-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

I actually expected to not like this - and I didn't for the first 15-20 minutes or so but once he hopped the plane it became quite good - a lot of fun and didn't try to get gross and slapstick with the humor. Well, ok - there was the sex-off . . .

Good flick.

Doddage
10-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Kristen Bell is ridiculously hot.

Unclebuck
10-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Saw Flash of Genius I thoroughly enjoyed it.

rexnom
10-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Nick and Norah

Quite entertaining...I wish I lived in NYC...

Peck
10-06-2008, 04:16 AM
American Carol.

It was about what I expected it to be, however it was not as good as I had hoped for. But I kind of knew what I was going to get going in so any dissapointment in the film is really my own fault.

Some funny parts, however hardly anything that will stick with you.

Raskolnikov
10-06-2008, 04:28 AM
The rocker. Kind of a poor man's School of Rock, but I still enjoyed it.

N8R
10-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Balls of Fury

Not very funny, not very good. I would not recommend this.

N8R
10-06-2008, 07:39 AM
The Bucket List

I had downloaded this months ago but never got around to watching it for one reason or another. I initially downloaded it on the advise of Mr Rcarey and it turned out to be great advise for this movie was well worth the watch. Very good.

N8R
10-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Eagle Eye

It was alright. Nothing too special but I did enjoy it.

GO!!!!!
10-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Iron Man

ummmm ummmmmm wasen't bad but wasen't anything special... but it just reminded me too much of Transformers and coulden't get in to it, just coulden't get in to it...

Like the first half was good but once they built the second suit... YAWN !!

N8R
10-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

It is very good. I enjoy it thoroughly.

N8R
10-14-2008, 04:00 AM
Death Race

I really didnt expect too much out of this movie. I was pleasantly surprised with how entertaining it was. A few nice plot changes and some very violent scenes. Some was very predictable but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

N8R
10-14-2008, 04:03 AM
Boy A

Dont know if anyone else has even heard of this movie. I only did when I was trying to find some movies to download and I came across this titled and looked it up on IMDB.com. it is about a boy who committed murder when he was a young teenager and is locked up. The movie starts with his release and just trying to hide who he is.

I believe it was filmed over in Britain but it is for sure filmed in Europe. I liked it more than I thought I would. Holds your attention to the end. Some slow spots but overall enjoyable.

N8R
10-14-2008, 06:06 AM
The Strangers

As it was leading up I was very scared, didnt help that i watched it by myself, in my basement in the dark. Just very creepy. Good if you enjoy a good scare.

avoidingtheclowns
10-14-2008, 02:48 PM
from the last month or so...

Miller's Crossing ... B<o></o>
this is one coen bros movie i had never taken the time to watch before. it's an interesting combination of a gangster movie and film noir. it's hard to get into the film during the first 20 minutes - it is the type of movie you have to sort out after it has finished. some moments were kind of tedious but there were interesting performances from gabriel byrne, albert finney and john turturro. <o></o>

Fear X ... C-<o></o>
i don't really know how to feel about this. there seemed to be a hint of a good movie or at least part of one buried within it. but for the most part it ends up being just un-compelling and slow. turturro is at least reliably okay.<o></o>

Religulous ... B+<o></o>
does it change the genre of documentary? hardly. is it fair? not really. does it fall apart in the final five minutes? absolutely. is it funny? you betcha. being agnostic, i tend to agree with his general thesis - so take that for what it's worth. i went to see it with a jewish friend and she enjoyed it as well. i think there probably was a genuine documentary lost somewhere in the hours of footage. mostly maher is going around the world playing the "look at this whackjob" card. reviews seem to be mixed, but it seems that when you start looking at the film not necessarily about religion but a film about bill maher's version of religion it's easier to enjoy.<o></o>

Eagle Eye ... D-<o></o>
i went in not expecting to enjoy but this movie was highly entertaining... in a much different way than was ever intended. i spent 90% of the movie laughing my *** off. this movie is mind-numbingly implausible and stunningly retarded. it rips the plot from the matrix, phone booth and 2001. anything redeemable? the film is a laugh riot

Miracle at St. Anna ... C+<o></o>
i really wanted to like this film. i did. but i couldn't. there are lots of great moments, but the film is infuriatingly unfocused. too much time is spent on characters that really mean very little (or in the case of john leguizamo absolutely nothing) to the story. i give it a C+ because despite the problems, Spike clearly had a vision and a story that he wanted told on his terms - and he did that, clearly without the interference of an editor.

Bball
10-14-2008, 10:34 PM
"Rambo"

I have now got my fill of decapitations and carnage for the month. As action flicks go, this one was alright. Mindless, but certainly not dull. I'm pretty sure it holds the record for most decapitations, guttings, limbs flying off, etc in movies I have watched.

JayRedd
10-14-2008, 10:40 PM
The Hustler - 10/10
Caught this randomly on TMC last night for about the 30th time and it's still in my Top 5 all-time. Paul Newman at his best. RIP.

Patton - 8.5/10
Then right after (on another channel even) comes another George C. Scott masterpiece. I actually fell asleep before the end, but I've seen it a bunch too. The movie itself has several flaws actually, but George C. Scott (I feel like you have to spell out his entire name on each reference) is just great. "2000 years ago...I was here."

* Following atc's lead, I'll start ranking these. Because he's sort of a boner, however, I shall use numbers.

N8R
10-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Blindness

Very interesting. I went it thinking I would like it more than I did because it is directed by the same man who did City Of God which is one of the best movies on the planet.

Now I did enjoy this movie a lot and it is believe in how things fall apart because of the blindness that is going around. Not too many people in the theatre, maybe only 15 at most in a 200+ theatre, it could be because it was a tuesday, but tuesday is $5 movie night. Our election was also going on so I am sure that took some people away.

Overall a good enough movie to have paid for.

Natston
10-16-2008, 11:45 PM
Death Race

I really didnt expect too much out of this movie. I was pleasantly surprised with how entertaining it was. A few nice plot changes and some very violent scenes. Some was very predictable but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

It was still crap, everything was given away in the trailer (for example, him being set up or him escaping).

N8R
10-18-2008, 06:46 AM
Well that just ruined it for people. Good Job Nat.

I honestly didnt remember seeing any trailers for it, All i remembered before watching the movie was cars racing and a few of the death scenes, I didnt know the ending which I guess made it better for me to watch.

DisplacedKnick
10-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Ironman

It was pretty good. Not up to either Spiderman or TDK. Too much cornball and didn't relate to the character as much as those other 2.

Still a good movie though.

Hicks
10-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Saw The Dark Knight in IMAX yesterday before the game. That was fun. I hadn't seen it since August so it felt fresh again, and the IMAX scenes gave those parts of the movie a differrent feel (sometimes).

Suaveness
10-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Saw The Dark Knight in IMAX yesterday before the game. That was fun. I hadn't seen it since August so it felt fresh again, and the IMAX scenes gave those parts of the movie a differrent feel (sometimes).

I actually went to see it in IMAX last week as well. It's going to be such a let down when I buy it on dvd and watch it on my tiny tv.

JayRedd
10-18-2008, 10:38 PM
Before Sunrise - 8/10

I'd seen Before Sunset (the sequel) like a year or so and heard good things about both. They are admittedly very, very low on the testosterone scale, but they are both very well-made, original productions that you have to appreciate for their craftsmanship, ambition and commitment to dialogue-based filmmaking even if they are indeed chick flicks by genre. And I actually found them both enjoyable regardless. Feel free to mock away.

AesopRockOn
10-19-2008, 12:13 AM
Spirited Away - All this time I've been propping Pixar when the best animated films are coming from the Nihonjin. I'm watching the rest of dude's flicks pronto.

Suaveness
10-19-2008, 01:14 AM
Miyazaki rocks

Iron man again

rexnom
10-19-2008, 01:23 AM
W.
Fairly good. Definitely recommend it. Especially for scholars of U.S. foreign policy such as myself. It's fascinating to contrast this with Thirteen Days and see how our perception/presidential cabinets have changed since the Kennedys. That being said, this is a movie about George Bush the man first and foremost.

N8R
10-19-2008, 04:00 AM
Tropic Thunder

I liked it more than I expected. If I hadnt read that Tom Cruise was in this movie I wouln't have put it together so quickly. I would recommend it. Sweabs make it a DL priority O.N.E.

JayRedd
10-19-2008, 06:17 PM
W.
Fairly good. Definitely recommend it. Especially for scholars of U.S. foreign policy such as myself. It's fascinating to contrast this with Thirteen Days and see how our perception/presidential cabinets have changed since the Kennedys. That being said, this is a movie about George Bush the man first and foremost.

Thirteen Days is one of my favorite films. I think it should be required viewing in high school history classes.

I've heard mixed stuff about W. but I'm obviously going to see it. Ad it's not that I've heard anyone say it's bad per se...more so that it's just sort of the "bad timing" for it in the sense that it would have been funnier a year ago pre-Obama/McCain and the financial crisis or it would be more of a good look-back in another year or two. As it is, I've heard it just kind of has a lame-duck aura, which is both reflective of the way it was presented and the current national atmosphere. Wrong film at the wrong time, I guess is what I've mostly heard...but still well done -- especially Brolin and Dreyfus.

avoidingtheclowns
10-19-2008, 08:48 PM
W.

really? hmmm...

W. ... C-
really didn't enjoy this. it just felt slapped together - a series of stories scattered like buckshot without bothering to really find a solid narrative. it plays like a cliff's notes re-enactment of a bob woodward book / maureen dowd column hybrid. i was disappointed because there are a handful of great stories for films about this man: his administration, the Iraq war, the Bush family complex, etc. stone chooses to use the daddy/jeb inferiority but only superficially - he never fully commits to telling that story just has james cromwell keep saying "i'm disappointed, junior." performances were equally mixed. brolin gave a great performance. i enjoyed dreyfuss also. the rest were just caricatures (especially condi). as for the timing question:
i don't mind the way stone ends the movie: an open-ended question about where W. stands in the history books, especially considering the number of times W. himself has used "history will tell" as justification for a variety of decisions. that being said, i do think a significantly stronger movie could (and probably will) be made years from now.

Hicks
10-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Frankly, I'm avoiding W. because the trailers/clips I've seen make Bush look ridiculous. And coming from me (a left-leaning independent), that's saying something.

avoidingtheclowns
10-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Frankly, I'm avoiding W. because the trailers/clips I've seen make Bush look ridiculous. And coming from me (a left-leaning independent), that's saying something.

i'd actually say the opposite is true. the trailer does make it seem absurdist (slow-motion pretzel choking and all) but stone is oddly even-handed and brolin isn't a will ferrell-esque imitation of W., plays him sympathetically even.

DisplacedKnick
10-19-2008, 10:03 PM
I just think making a movie about someone while he's still in office is goofy.

I may rent it 5 years from now.

Hicks
10-19-2008, 10:04 PM
ATC, that's surprising to read given the clips I've seen which make him look like he has an IQ of 12.

rexnom
10-20-2008, 02:04 AM
Stone manages to make him incredibly sympathetic. There were a couple of scenes with his father where my girlfriend, a die-hard liberal, got incredibly choked up...like it was a Hugh Grant movie or something.

Honestly, Brolin does as good a job as I think any actor could do portraying W.

N8R
10-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Midnight Run

Havent seen Charles Grodin since the Beethoven movies. It was much better than I had thought but very different at the same time. Some of the scenes felt very familiar so I am now wondering if I have watched this before when I was younger. I have a feeling that I have but since I couldnt remember no harm in watching it now. Always funny to see DeNiro in his earlier works.

N8R
10-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Deer Hunter

Wow. Umm long. It was good but I think I am used to movies being shorter now. That was close to 3 hours. The acting was good and the story was good but the length just killed me.

N8R
10-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Dance of the Dead

I thought it was going to suck big time and be a waste of my time since I read what it was about and it said it was a Zombie movie and the kids who didnt go to the prom have to save the town. Don't know why I downloaded it, don't know why I watched it but considering my expectations were so low turns out I enjoyed it. I wouldnt watch it again but one viewing wasn't too bad. All of the deaths were gory and gross which is a favourite of mine.

Shade
10-20-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm gonna run through the Saw flicks again in preparation for Saw V this weekend.

Bball
10-20-2008, 09:53 PM
I watched one of the Grindhouse flicks "Death Proof"

I admit, I thought the talk talk talk talk talk talk dialogue was a little overdone. It's pretty much pointless. You're not really missing much if you skim over most of it. It's just filler between the 'action' scenes.

During the first part of the movie there are scratches and intentional splices in the movie to give it that feel of a well worn reel playing at a Drive-in theater. I 'get' that, what I didn't get was why halfway thru the movie it went B/W at a RANDOM point. Not on a scene change or anything like that... instead a scene just went from color to B/W. Then a few minutes later it went back to color just as randomly. And I don't recall any more of the added scratches or splices during the 2nd half of the movie. Not sure why Tarantino would think they were cool for half the movie and not all of it.

OK.... for the first half of the movie I thought all the dialogue must have a point so I dealt with it. Then we got to the action and realize the dialogue was pointless (IMHO). Then that all led to the 2nd part of the movie and after a while I was searching for the remote to fast forward thru some of the talk talk talk talk. But, alas, the remote was out of reach so I dealt with it.

Once the movie wrapped I wasn't totally letdown. It was a Tarantino flick and most people know what they'll get with a Tarantino flick. If I'd had the remote and fast forwarded thru sections of the movie, it wouldn't mattered at all.

This movie would probably be best enjoyed late at night found on HBO while randomly scanning channels rather than planning an evening around it and renting it.

Sollozzo
10-20-2008, 09:59 PM
The Fugitive

Shade
10-20-2008, 10:15 PM
I watched one of the Grindhouse flicks "Death Proof"

I admit, I thought the talk talk talk talk talk talk dialogue was a little overdone. It's pretty much pointless. You're not really missing much if you skim over most of it. It's just filler between the 'action' scenes.

During the first part of the movie there are scratches and intentional splices in the movie to give it that feel of a well worn reel playing at a Drive-in theater. I 'get' that, what I didn't get was why halfway thru the movie it went B/W at a RANDOM point. Not on a scene change or anything like that... instead a scene just went from color to B/W. Then a few minutes later it went back to color just as randomly. And I don't recall any more of the added scratches or splices during the 2nd half of the movie. Not sure why Tarantino would think they were cool for half the movie and not all of it.

OK.... for the first half of the movie I thought all the dialogue must have a point so I dealt with it. Then we got to the action and realize the dialogue was pointless (IMHO). Then that all led to the 2nd part of the movie and after a while I was searching for the remote to fast forward thru some of the talk talk talk talk. But, alas, the remote was out of reach so I dealt with it.

Once the movie wrapped I wasn't totally letdown. It was a Tarantino flick and most people know what they'll get with a Tarantino flick. If I'd had the remote and fast forwarded thru sections of the movie, it wouldn't mattered at all.

This movie would probably be best enjoyed late at night found on HBO while randomly scanning channels rather than planning an evening around it and renting it.

You really need to watch Grindhouse in it's entirety to enjoy it at it's fullest, along with all the faux movie trailers and whatnot that was cut from the shameful DVD releases.

MrSparko
10-20-2008, 10:49 PM
I agree with Shade.

I saw the movie twice in movie theaters, I really enjoyed it. I was so disappointed when they separated it for the DVD's not even worth it.

Hicks
10-20-2008, 11:47 PM
Predator.

It had been a long time since I'd really sat down to watch it all the way through (even breaking it up over a few days as I did now).

Great flick for what it was trying to be. Fun to watch it on BD, too. Doesn't compare to the quality of modern BD's, but it still looked and sounded better than I'd ever seen it, and it was cool to watch on a 42" HDTV instead of a 26" or smaller regular TV.

rexnom
10-20-2008, 11:56 PM
I wonder how a movie like Predator would do in 2008. It probably holds up decent.

Alien, I think would bore people because of the amount of inaction in the beginning.

ilive4sports
10-21-2008, 01:34 AM
I finally saw Iron Man. I liked it a lot. It was very good. Its great to see that Robert Downey Jr. was able to get his career back on track cause he was excellent in this movie. And I want Tony Stark's garage. not for the iron man and super computer, hes got a sick set of cars there.

Bball
10-24-2008, 09:48 PM
"Before the Devil Knows You're Dead"

Very good acting and a topless Marisa Tomei couldn't hurt any movie... BUT can someone make a movie that has a continuity to it and not jump back and forth in the story? This movie also did the "Vantage Point" schtick where just as you think you're getting somewhere it abruptly stops and picks up at another point in time, usually from another character's point of view.

In the case of "Vantage Point" the pacing was fast whereas this movie is more of a slow build. I don't have a problem with movies that build slowly if there's a payoff at the end, but this one kept stripping me from the moment with its constant change in time and perspective (each time giving you a little more of the story).

I think the movie was good... but not great. Once again, the pieces were there for a much better movie (IMHO) but it just didn't get to the screen.

I don't have a problem with a movie that shows you the 'end' up front and then goes back and shows you what led to that end for the meat of the movie. You THINK that's what this one is doing... but it continues to jump around and, for me, just ripped me from the moment and was distracting.

Your mileage may vary...

Unclebuck
10-25-2008, 09:29 AM
watched Journey to the Center of the earth

Truly a horrible movie. No idea why they decided to make this movie. The plot device were so transparent - obvious they had trouble makin the movie 90 minutes long

Shade
10-25-2008, 01:43 PM
I just think making a movie about someone while he's still in office is goofy.

I may rent it 5 years from now.

I've always wondered how people got away with that, anyhow. I know he's a public figure, but if someone's going to make a movie about me, I want (a) my permission to be required first, and (2) royalties.

I have no intention of ever seeing W., though. The trailer looks really, really bad.

N8R
10-26-2008, 02:59 AM
Pineapple Express

Very entertaining. There were a lot of random funny lines and scenes while the guys were high. I was expecting it to end differently but I liked it nonetheless. It will be one of the few movies that I save on my external hard drive.

N8R
10-26-2008, 08:42 AM
Fracture

I have had this on my computer for months and I finally watched it out of necessity for needed the room on my external hard drive. I thought it was going to be long and boring. It certainly was long but far from boring. I was actually quite entertained throughout and I enjoyed the ending which I usually dont do in movies.

N8R
10-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Hitman

Another movie I had on my computer for a few weeks and finally decided to watch. The only reason I watched it is that it was brought up while I was hanging out with friends and they seemed to have enjoyed it. It certainly was bloody and gory which are two things I look for in movies, but the acting was horrible and the plot line was very messed up as in there didn't seem to be one. It was what it was and nothing more. Not great, not the worst.

N8R
10-26-2008, 10:31 AM
In Bruges

Forgot what it was about when I went to watch it. Turned out to be rather interesting. Kind of boring until the end. The best part was the racist dwarf who got karate chopped by Colin Ferrel.

bellisimo
10-27-2008, 05:56 AM
In Bruges

Forgot what it was about when I went to watch it. Turned out to be rather interesting. Kind of boring until the end. The best part was the racist dwarf who got karate chopped by Colin Ferrel.

I'll agree to disagree there :D

N8R
10-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Across the Universe

This movie had been on my hard drive for some time. I avoided it because i knew it was a musical and singing and dancing is usually not my taste. it turned out to be pretty good. The music was great and the acting was better than expected. A lot of very cool scenes and great cinematography.

N8R
10-27-2008, 06:59 AM
Henry Poole Is Here

Luke Wilson is in this drama. Didnt fully know what it was about for the first while. Had Ben Harper's "Morning Yearning" as one of the songs so that was the best part. Interesting story and some good acting. The little girl was a little odd to me though. Something just not fully believable about her acting.

N8R
10-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Mr. Magoriums Wonder Emporium

I actually really enjoyed this movie. I am not sure who it is supposed to be aimed at as in what age group but I was entertained until the end. The end was a little weird and I am sure Natalie Portman looked like a nut in the last scene when they were filming before all the special effects were added cause she looked like a nut even with the special effects added.

I cant believe I liked it but by golly I did sir.

N8R
10-27-2008, 11:06 AM
Hancock

2nd time watching this movie. I liked it a lot more the second time around. I think knowing what to expect helped me to focus on other parts of the movie. Still a good movie.

avoidingtheclowns
10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Synecdoche, New York ... C
I went to a Q&A with Charlie Kaufman that featured a screening of this film. I'm a big fan of Kaufman's (Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, etc.), but I found this film extremely tedious. I went to the screening with a Russian, a Romanian, a Brit, two Jews (and me in the role of Joe Q. Midwest I s'pose) and each of us had a similar reaction to the film. So take that for what it's worth.

The movie is about death, if that wasn't apparent during the first three quarters minutes the last 30 minutes beats that into your head. After the first 40 minutes, which were generally enjoyably absurdist, the film lost me (and my rag-tag posse mentioned above). There are many great moments in the film, one that is incredibly effective involves Philip Seymour Hoffman's daughter Olive on her death bed and her flower tattoo. There are enough moments to make a couple of strong movies but together it just seems a mess. The individual performances from Hoffman, Samantha Morton, Hope Davis and Catherine Keener are enjoyable in spite of the nonsense.

Synecdoche is clearly ambitious -- the concept alone is fascinating. I think, ultimately, Kaufman needs a filter like Spike Jonze or Gondry to get his story to the screen (not George Clooney though, as Kaufman complained quite a bit about his work with Confessions of a Dangerous Mind). I'd also like to see Kaufman take a shot at a screenplay written by someone else, though he apparently has zero interest in that himself.

Scanning through several reviews (NY Times, Onion, NPR) it seems most critics disagree with me, so perhaps it is worth a second viewing.

DisplacedKnick
10-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Synecdoche, New York ... C

Scanning through several reviews (NY Times, Onion, NPR) it seems most critics disagree with me, so perhaps it is worth a second viewing.

It was on "At the Movies" Saturday afternoon and IIRC both said "skip it."

Sounded very disjointed from what they said. I may rent it eventually just since Schenectady is about 30 minutes from where I grew up and it'll give me that, "I'm happy to be FROM there" feeling but that'll be the only reason unless someone attends and gives me a rave review.

pianoman
10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Ironman

This movie was much better than I expected it to be!

Suaveness
10-28-2008, 01:27 AM
40-year old virgin

Pretty entertaining. The hair removal was painful to watch, especially since I believe it was actually done.

N8R
10-28-2008, 09:12 AM
it most certainly was done for the movie which makes it that much better.

Shade
10-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Just got back from Saw V. Pretty good. Not quite on par with the previous four, but entertaining nonetheless.

I'm starting to worry a little that it may become stale, though. There were still a couple of good twists, but nothing quite as mind-blowing as some of the older ones.

Won't stop me from seeing Saw VI, though. :D

Shade
10-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Ironman

This movie was much better than I expected it to be!

The funny thing about Iron Man is, I have not heard one single negative review of it from anyone. That is simply amazing.

bellisimo
10-31-2008, 10:21 AM
Iron Man

It was horrible! what a bunch of flying donkey it was! What are the terrorists in Middle East doing talking in a EUROPEAN LANGUAGE "Hungarian!"

Just another popcorn flick with very little detail to realism and physics...this is one movie which I will NOT watch again....

Was hoping for something better...guess I'll have to wait for Titanium Man to come out...

/s :D

Raskolnikov
10-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Hancock

2nd time watching this movie. I liked it a lot more the second time around. I think knowing what to expect helped me to focus on other parts of the movie. Still a good movie.
I liked it too. Of course, I love both Will Smith (as an actor) and Charlize Theron (as an incredibly beautiful woman), so that also helped.

HANCOCK

Shade
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Evil Dead 2

Been a while since seeing this one. Had it more in the background than anything. Plan to watch it again today, maybe with an AoD follow-up.

Shade
10-31-2008, 10:31 AM
A Nightmare on Elm Street

I picked up the first four NOES films, and it's been a looooong time since I watched them. The first one is still the best, IMO.

Shade
10-31-2008, 10:33 AM
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

Not terrible, but not great, either. Continuity issues started to emerge here. The concept was good (Freddy killing in the real world through someone else's body), but only executed averagely (I don't know if this is a word, but if not, I'm trademarking it now).

Gonna watch parts 3 & 4 today.

Shade
10-31-2008, 10:35 AM
Iron Man

It was horrible! what a bunch of flying donkey it was! What are the terrorists in Middle East doing talking in a EUROPEAN LANGUAGE "Hungarian!"

Just another popcorn flick with very little detail to realism and physics...this is one movie which I will NOT watch again....

Was hoping for something better...guess I'll have to wait for Titanium Man to come out...

/s :D

You are fired from life.

Raskolnikov
10-31-2008, 10:47 AM
They also do dubbing in Hungary, belli? So happy I live in one of the few European countries where they don't...because it totally completely sucks.

ilive4sports
10-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Anchorman

That movie never gets old. I'm Ron Burgandy?

bellisimo
10-31-2008, 11:43 AM
They also do dubbing in Hungary, belli? So happy I live in one of the few European countries where they don't...because it totally completely sucks.

they do Dubbing in Hungary yea...but in the original English version of Iron Man there was a scene where one of the terrorists was "speaking" in Hungarian and the guy next to Tony Stark responded by saying "one minute" in Hungarian...just seemed so out there :confused:

avoidingtheclowns
10-31-2008, 04:40 PM
quantum of solace ... B-
this wasn't quite as good as casino royale but lightyears from bond at its worst (coughdieanotherdaycough). daniel craig is enjoyable and dame judi is also good. you can clearly tell the stunt coordinator is that of the bourne series - especially in hand-to-hand combat. the action sequences (especially the opening) are difficult to follow but there sure are a lot of 'em and they merge together (though i did enjoy the one with the horse race). as far as comic relief goes, there wasn't much. once it comes out i might get into more specific things that bothered me like the hotel fire for one but for now i'll just be purposefully vague.

DisplacedKnick
10-31-2008, 05:29 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge

Not terrible, but not great, either. Continuity issues started to emerge here. The concept was good (Freddy killing in the real world through someone else's body), but only executed averagely (I don't know if this is a word, but if not, I'm trademarking it now).

Gonna watch parts 3 & 4 today.

2 was the worst of the bunch - after that they got back to the original premise.

Los Angeles
10-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Rendition.

It was fantastic.

Shade
10-31-2008, 10:46 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors

Not bad. Better than #2. This is probably the one that freaked me out the most as a kid.

Shade
10-31-2008, 10:48 PM
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

Not as good as #3, but again, not bad, and better than #2.

Freddy was efficient as hell in this one, tying up loose ends like there was no tomorrow.

I was surprised by how gory this film was, especially for the time. There were a few things that still made me a little squeamish watching them today.

At this point, the endings started to get a little lame as they tried to find new ways to "kill" Freddy.

Shade
10-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Halloween (Rob Zombie Remake)

My second time watching it. Felt pretty much the same as before -- good flick, but not on par with the original. A little too much back-story for my taste, even though there was plenty of action afterward.

duke dynamite
11-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Little Shop of Horrors, Ghostbusters 1&2.

N8R
11-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Saw and Saw II

Had seen them before. They were on TV while I was working so I put them on. The first one is till very good. Holds up as a horror film very well. The second just starts leading the franchise downhill but I still like them. I have seen the first 4 and I will eventually watch number 5 once I can download it.

Shade
11-01-2008, 09:51 AM
Saw and Saw II

Had seen them before. They were on TV while I was working so I put them on. The first one is till very good. Holds up as a horror film very well. The second just starts leading the franchise downhill but I still like them. I have seen the first 4 and I will eventually watch number 5 once I can download it.

Let me know when you see it so we can discuss. :nod:

N8R
11-02-2008, 06:15 AM
I most certainly will there Mr Shade. It might be a few months depending on how long it takes to get out as a viewable version on the computer

The Ruins

Wow sweabs was right. Not scary. A little on the gross side but not even enough to be gory. Not scary at all, plants aren't scary as we saw in The Happening. Plants can be cut and are not strong. Sure they infect the people but just throw yourselves down the hole and be done with it. I mean if they would have just killed themselves from the start it would have made the movie much more to the point. Stupid non-scary waste of time. Terrible acting too. I just remembered how much I dislike the main guy in it. He just seems like he thinks he is the shizznit.

N8R
11-02-2008, 08:00 AM
The Air I Breathe

I went into this movie with the lowest expectations possible because I forgot what movie this was. It has been sitting on my computer for so long because I thought it was a completely different movie, with no-name actors. Turns out Forrest Whitaker, Brandon Faisar, Kevin Bacon and Andy Garcia were in this one. I enjoyed it more than a lot of the movies I have seen lately but honestly that could be due to the extraordinarily low expectations for this one. Wasn't able to predict 99% of the movie for the first time in a while so I like that factor as well.

Stryder
11-02-2008, 10:16 AM
The Strangers

Sucked. Plain and Simple. Not good at all.

Peck
11-03-2008, 03:15 AM
Pride & Glory: Meh... Very pedestrian. Don't waste your time going to the movies for this. Just see the DVD.

N8R
11-03-2008, 07:32 AM
The Green Mile

Was on TV so I watched it again. For some reason it is one of those movies for me that I always end up watching on TV in bits and pieces. Still a great film.

N8R
11-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Casino Royale

I liked it. I hadn't seen a Bond film in a long time and I figures I had better catch this one that I know what is going on for Quantum of Solice.

Unclebuck
11-03-2008, 10:22 AM
The Bank Job

After the first 30 minutes it got really good. Different from what I expected

JayRedd
11-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Thirteen Days

One of my favorites.

rexnom
11-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Thirteen Days

One of my favorites.
Goooooooood call. Always a great one. If you haven't already, you should also read May and Zelikow's The Kennedy Tapes, upon which the movie is based. It's a fascinating to get an excellent inside-view of ExComm during the CMC.

N8R
11-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Reign Over Me

I have seen this once before but it made the external hard drive cut back then for a good reason: This movie is FANTASTIC. I enjoy seeing genre actors out of their genre. I have enjoyed most of if not all of the Adam Sandler serious movies. I liked the WIll Ferrel one, I have liked Jim Carrey as serious characters. I just like seeing what else they can do. This movie always makes my eyes water too. Just good movie making.

ilive4sports
11-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Reign Over Me

I have seen this once before but it made the external hard drive cut back then for a good reason: This movie is FANTASTIC. I enjoy seeing genre actors out of their genre. I have enjoyed most of if not all of the Adam Sandler serious movies. I liked the WIll Ferrel one, I have liked Jim Carrey as serious characters. I just like seeing what else they can do. This movie always makes my eyes water too. Just good movie making.

That is one of my favorite movies. My parents ordered it on pay per view one night when i got home from work and I decided to just sit and watch it, stayed in my works clothes and everything. Its a great movie i think.

And I agree about The Strangers. Both my friends said its one of the scariest movies they have ever seen and I didnt find it scary at all.

N8R
11-06-2008, 06:39 AM
I have heard from a few people that didnt like The Strangers and I understand their points. The thing that made it scary for me was watching it in my basement, by myself in the dark. That and people coming to my house to freak me out has been a fear I have had for a while.

Raskolnikov
11-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Quantum of Solace

Meh

Suaveness
11-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Get Smart

I remember watching this for the first time in theatres and laughing my head off. Glad to watch it again

N8R
11-07-2008, 06:21 AM
The Heartbreak Kid

A funny movie. Had seen it before and liked it enough to put it onto the external for a later viewing. I wish I had more external space as all the movies I have dloaded would be nice to save, at least the good ones. Ben Stiller is his usual self in it, the main chick plays her character very well and the brunette in the movie is HOT. Enjoyable movie.

SycamoreKen
11-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Kung Fu Panda

Very funny. Good story. Good for the kids as well.

ilive4sports
11-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Zack and Miri Make a Porno

Very funny. Predictable, but very funny. Go see the movie if you like Seth Rogan's movies because you will really enjoy it.

Bball
11-09-2008, 12:53 AM
"LA Confidential" and "Fargo"

Did I like them? Yah... You betcha!

Natston
11-09-2008, 03:07 AM
Into the Wild

Truly a great movie. It was a little longer than it needed to be, but totally understandable because it's based on a true story.

Bball
11-09-2008, 03:55 AM
"Indiana Jones and the Crystal Meth Factory".... or whatever the new one is called.

First, I'd read so many putting it down that the bar was sitting awfully low as I watched it. So... it wasn't too bad in my estimation for mindless entertainment. At least as I was watching it, it wasn't too bad (except for the drawn jungle sword fight that strained credibility with every extended minute it was on the screen). ...And the ants were a little overdone too.

But then we get to the climatic scenes and then the end... And as a popcorn flick I'd felt entertained.... But in no way did I "get it". I have no idea what the crystal skull thing accomplished, what was up with the city, the final scenes.... no idea.

N8R
11-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Futurama: Bender's Game

It was good. If you like Futurama and want to see some new stuff I would suggest checking it out. I enjoyed it.

N8R
11-09-2008, 08:50 AM
How to Lose Friends & Alienate People

For what the title suggests I thought this was going to be a different movie altogether but alas it was not. Megan Fox was in it and she was looking fine. Kirsten Dunst was in this one too and she was looking pretty good as well.

Basic plot was alright, I enjoy the main actor Simon Pegg from his other movies Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. Not in the same line of over the top humour as the others with action mixed in.

Good enough to watch once.

campy
11-10-2008, 02:12 AM
Mystery Men.

N8R
11-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Over The Hedge

it was on TV and I hadnt seen it. Very typical family animated movie. My girl Avril was one of the voices. I liked it.

N8R
11-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Burn After Reading

Glad I didnt pay for it. I dont think I am a big fan of the Coen Brother films in general. Just a little too weird for my taste.

N8R
11-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Taken

I liked it. Lots of action and murder which is what I like to see in a a movie. It became comical which is even better. The story was very unrealistic but it is a movie and I dont expect realism from movies that are this ludicrous. Liam Neeson was humourous as a killing machine. Just watch it and you will see.

Unclebuck
11-10-2008, 09:39 AM
The Changeling

Really good - sure it was somewhat predictable - but still very emotional. Nice to see an adult movie (no not that kind of "adult movie")

N8R
11-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Fred Claus

Too early for christmas movies but I had just downloaded it and I enjoy Vince Vaughn and I needed to see some comedy. I enjoyed it as far as x-mas movies come. Predictable but more are.

Stryder
11-10-2008, 07:36 PM
Run Fatboy Run.

Ok. Had some funny moments. I can always sympathize with those who have just started running. But, I still like Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead better.

jeffg-body
11-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Cheech and Chong Nice Dreams

Bball
11-12-2008, 03:24 AM
"The Bucket List"

I expected "Grumpy Old Men" but this movie was not a farcical romp at all. Yeah, it touched it on it a bit but for the most part the humor was a dry humor and it was more drama than comedy.

I thought the acting was superb even though every character Jack Nicholson plays is Jack Nicholson first... but he played a sick old man awfully well.

The formula doesn't play out exactly like you might think either. With the opening scene (which is really like a bookend and part of the closing scene), and Morgan Freeman's voiceover, (along with the way the movie was playing out) I expected Jack Nicholson's character to die first and Morgan to die last or even be cured by the 'experimental treatment' he was getting. Instead, it's Morgan Freeman's character who dies first (and rather abruptly all things considered)... This in context tied the movie up nicely though and gave it a bittersweet finale.

-Bball

N8R
11-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Zach and Miri Make a Porno

Predictable to a point for the general story line. had some hilarious moments in it which was expected. Could have been a lot better but I did enjoy it a great deal. Also Kenny Hotz was in it from Kenny vs Spenny which was funny to see. He is a horrible actor, at least in this.

N8R
11-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Fast Food Nation

I have been trying to watch this movie for a number of months like 15 or more but the downloads never worked until now. I heard about it because I had read the same titled book a few years back and I heard they were making a movie roughly based on the facts in the book. Also Avril Lavigne is in it and I wanted to see her acting chops, she actually was a lot better than I thought she would be. I wouldnt mind seeing her in other stuff, or naked.

There was a lot of truth to the movie because I can just see it being true to a point. The end was very gruesome and I can see it being the reason that a lot of people didnt see the movie or even hear about it. If anyone is interested in the bad side of the Fast Food world check it out. Greg Kinnear, Bruce Willis, Wilmer Valderama, Ethan Hawke and a few others that I recognized were all in this one too. A bit of a surprise while watching. Good movie.

Suaveness
11-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Caddyshack

Stryder
11-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Role Models

I enjoyed it...quite a few laugh out loud moments.

DisplacedKnick
11-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Watched a twin feature at home.

Get Smart

Very good - I was suprised how much I liked it. Liked the more realistic depiction of Max. Though with the cast I wondered for a bit if this was one of Vince McMahon's films.

The Happening

Let me premise this by saying I always like M Night Shamalon (sp?) films. I liked the Village which a lot of my friends hated. I liked Lady in the Water, with not just my friends but the critics hating it.

I just want everyone to understand what it means when I say that The Happening was terrible. Dogmeat puke in a bucket bad. It had no redeeming feature - not past the girl with the hair knitting needle thing in the park scene anyway. From that point it was all downhill - and the hill it started from was pretty darn low to begin with.

Hicks
11-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Quantum of Solace. Decent. I like that it's really a sequel to Casino Royal (and clearly leading to another one) as opposed to another Bond film that doesn't really have anything to do with the others.

JayRedd
11-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Going to Quantum of Solace tonight. Excited.

Also...Just watched:

The Big Kahuna - 8/10
I'd actually never heard of it, but it's rather good. It's all dialogue and nothing actually really happens, so it's essentially like a David Mamet/Waiting for Godot genre piece that feels like a long one-act play with no set changes. The themes/messages/concepts of the whole movie are a little overt for my tastes, but it works well since most of the conversations are realistic for the characters and don't seem overly forced even though they don't center around things regularly discussed on a day-to-day basis. It helps that the film is carried by a 1999, in-his-prime Kevin Spacey, and a particularly understated and never-breaking-character Danny DeVito.

Suaveness
11-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Grease- Good old greased lightning fun

Also going to see QoS tonight. I hope I'm not disappointed too much

Suaveness
11-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Got back from Quantum. It's not a bad movie, honestly. Just wasn't a bond movie. But I enjoyed it.

N8R
11-16-2008, 10:26 AM
The Dark Knight

Still very good.

bellisimo
11-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Tropic Thunder
definitely had its funny moments...

Max Payne
I liked the style they shot the movie...but it wasn't satisfying enough as a homage to the game....

Shade
11-16-2008, 09:56 PM
I just got a free Hellboy 2 DVD. Now I just have to find the time to watch it.

N8R
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Step Brothers

Hilarious.

N8R
11-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Kung Fu Panda

It was good. Seemed like most animation movies you see these days.

count55
11-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Leatherheads...sucked

And, does anyone else think that botox should be banned?

Unclebuck
11-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I saw Wall E it was OK, I guess I like movies with real people in them. My favorite part of WallE was all the fat people - enjoyed that - but the main storyline was boring

N8R
11-23-2008, 08:44 AM
House Bunny

Not good.

Erik
11-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Twilight- It was better than I thought. I took my 15 year old daughter and I'm sure she liked it more than I did. Not a bad way to spend time with a teenager in your life and enjoy some popcorn at 10:00 in the morning.

sweabs
11-23-2008, 01:38 PM
American Beauty

Perfect Pie

Peck
11-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Twilight: I had no idea what this was before I went. I generally love Vampire movies and shows (trueblood, Moonlight, Dracula, Fright Night, etc., etc.)

My first moment of concern was when I went into the lobby and saw that there were litterally 45-50 teenage girls, from as low as 13 up to probably 19, standing waiting to get in.

As I set through the first half of the movie I asked my wife if there were going to be vampires in this vampire film.

I'll just say this, this felt far more like a tv show of the cw than a major motion picture.

It was not the worst film I've seen this week, that is reserved for the turd that is leatherheads, but it isn't the best either (battle of the bulge).

As long as you don't go in expecting to see vampires and understand that there will be lots and lots of teenage angst, then it's ok.

I just wasn't ready for this and felt dissapointed. But again I will say this is because I was expecting vampires to acting like, well vampires.

This was more like smallville, which btw I like, just wasn't prepared for this.

Peck
11-23-2008, 04:53 PM
House Bunny

Not good.

really?

I thought it was kind of funny, of course being an old man I probably found Anna Faris more appealing than you did. I'm sure it was her acting skills.;)

count55
11-23-2008, 08:02 PM
It was not the worst film I've seen this week, that is reserved for the turd that is leatherheads, but it isn't the best either (battle of the bulge).

OK...I agree on Leatherheads, but you can't be talking about the Henry Fonda "Battle of the Bulge". This movies holds a special place for me because I watched it as a small child with my father (who actually fought in the battle.) However, I watched it again a few years ago, and though the sentimental value was still there, it was a truly horrible movie.

Stryder
11-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Twilight: I had no idea what this was before I went. I generally love Vampire movies and shows (trueblood, Moonlight, Dracula, Fright Night, etc., etc.)

My first moment of concern was when I went into the lobby and saw that there were litterally 45-50 teenage girls, from as low as 13 up to probably 19, standing waiting to get in.

As I set through the first half of the movie I asked my wife if there were going to be vampires in this vampire film.

I'll just say this, this felt far more like a tv show of the cw than a major motion picture.

As long as you don't go in expecting to see vampires and understand that there will be lots and lots of teenage angst, then it's ok.

I just wasn't ready for this and felt dissapointed. But again I will say this is because I was expecting vampires to acting like, well vampires.

Twilight is one of those films that you should read the books first. I've read the books, enjoyed them, and enjoyed the movie. If you would have read the books or even realized the basic premise of the movie or the target audience, then it would have been much better.

Oh, if you didn't like this, don't ever read the True Blood (Sookie Stackhouse) novels...they are pure trash...

BTW, how ARE vampires supposed to act? haha.

Stryder
11-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Twilight.

I enjoyed it. See the post above. The books are way better, though.

Kuq_e_Zi91
11-24-2008, 02:24 AM

:laugh:

Best review.

Hicks
11-24-2008, 02:42 AM

I don't recall: Did you ever watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

Peck
11-24-2008, 03:19 AM
OK...I agree on Leatherheads, but you can't be talking about the Henry Fonda "Battle of the Bulge". This movies holds a special place for me because I watched it as a small child with my father (who actually fought in the battle.) However, I watched it again a few years ago, and though the sentimental value was still there, it was a truly horrible movie.

I've saw three films last week.

Leatherheads, Battle of the Bulge & Twilight.

I rank them as follows

1. Battle of the Bulge
2. Twilight
3. Leatherheads

Yes, it is the same film with Fonda. As to truly horrible film? To each thier own, while certainly it is somewhat campy by today's standard and the acting is stiff. I still find it entertaining and far far better than leatherheads.

But I'm not saying it is an all time film classic, I'm just saying it was the best film I watched last week.

Peck
11-24-2008, 03:34 AM
I don't recall: Did you ever watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer?

The movie was ok, however I knew what it was going in so my expectations were low.

The t.v. show, I caught a few episodes but honestly just didn't get into it to much.

About a year ago I bought season 1 on dvd and my wife and I tried to watch it but frankly it just didn't appeal to us. We watched maybe half the season and then just gave up.

I know you are going to tell me I will smoke a turd in hell for this next statement, but here goes.

I really have never seen anything from Joss Wheden that I loved. Firefly was just ok but not great. Buffy and Angle were both "meh" in my mind.

I'm not sure what I am going to think of dollhouse.

The Toxic Avenger
11-24-2008, 03:37 AM
I watched it again a few years ago, and though the sentimental value was still there, it was a truly horrible movie.

THATS what I told him...

Peck
11-24-2008, 03:38 AM
THATS what I told him...

You were to busy watching the new arby'n the chief movie.

The Toxic Avenger
11-24-2008, 03:44 AM
You were to busy watching the new arby'n the chief movie.

IF by Arby 'N the Chief you mean Starship Troopers then yes.

Peck
11-24-2008, 04:34 AM
IF by Arby 'N the Chief you mean Starship Troopers then yes.

True, however there is a new arby'n the chief.

N8R
11-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Fight Club

It was on TV and it had been a number of years since I last watched it. Still a great movie.

N8R
11-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Role Models

Watched a CAM version that I downloaded, was a good quality for being a CAM version. I liked the movie, there were some very funny parts and a few sets of boobies so that helped even more. Plus it had little kids swearing and being talked to like they were adults which I find funny as well. I would recommend it if you are a fan of Judd Apatow films.

Unclebuck
11-24-2008, 09:59 AM
Quantum of Solace

It wasn't horrible, but I no time did I care anything about what I was watching. If the person I was with at any point during the movie, said, "I'm bored, can we leave" I would have said sure why not.

It wasn't that it was bad, just completely un-involving. No characters did I care about one way or the other. The bad guy was uninteresting. Bond was boring.

Thinking back I remember very little about the movie.

I guess it just isn't my type of movie. But can they put together a plot next time.

Also watched Zodiac for the first time on DVD (did see it when it was in the theaters) I love this movie. Not sure why - it is kind of long, for the last 90 minutes there are no more killings - but I just sat mismerized watching it - even missed the start of the Pacers vs Heat game Saturday night because I wanted to see it all.

Kuq_e_Zi91
11-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Cool Runnings

One of my all time favorite movies. Gets better every time.

Sanka mon, whatcha smoking?
I'm not smoking, I'm breathing!

tora tora
11-25-2008, 04:21 AM
http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/206/40121206.jpg

ilive4sports
11-25-2008, 04:31 AM
Quantum of Solace

It wasn't horrible, but I no time did I care anything about what I was watching. If the person I was with at any point during the movie, said, "I'm bored, can we leave" I would have said sure why not.

It wasn't that it was bad, just completely un-involving. No characters did I care about one way or the other. The bad guy was uninteresting. Bond was boring.

Thinking back I remember very little about the movie.

I guess it just isn't my type of movie. But can they put together a plot next time.

Also watched Zodiac for the first time on DVD (did see it when it was in the theaters) I love this movie. Not sure why - it is kind of long, for the last 90 minutes there are no more killings - but I just sat mismerized watching it - even missed the start of the Pacers vs Heat game Saturday night because I wanted to see it all.

Completely agree on the new Bond movie. I saw it tonight and it was like watching Knight Rider (the new one), it was one giant Ford commercial. If this werent a bond movie it may have been decent, but this was very lackluster. Only one good car chase scene, during action scenes the camera angle was changed way too quick and often, everything seemed to happen on accident, no plot, very unrealistic at points, where were the gadgets??? and there is more but you get the point.

It was a huge letdown for me. I really liked Casino Royale and thought this would have been good, but it was just not Bond to me.

N8R
11-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Quantum of Solace

I liked it. I enjoy action packed murder movies so this was perfect for me. I liked the car chases the foot chases the boat chases and most of all the murdering. There wasn't much of a plot but I dont care.

Unclebuck
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
what? no one saw any movies over the long weekend??

Peck
12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Bolt

It was a decent kids movie. Not the best movie ever made and not the worst either.

Suaveness
12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- Just so weird, but funny

travmil
12-02-2008, 05:39 PM
I thought with the two new Bond films they were blatantly ripping off the Bourne style of action shots. I'm with UB. It just didn't feel like a Bond movie.

JayRedd
12-04-2008, 11:33 PM

Agreed. Battle of the Bulge is really, really, really bad.

I hope you've watched Band of Brothers. By far the best WWII thing in thing I've ever seen and all the Bastion stuff is particularly amazing. In fact, Band of Brothers is probably the best non-The Wire serial to ever appear on film.

very unrealistic at points, where were the gadgets???

That's awesome.

For what it's worth, I thought the new Bond was fan-fricking-tastic. The plot was pretty straight-forward to me and ran pretty consistently throughout (although I'm not sure how Greene got so entangled in the attempt to kill M considering it seems he was a mere associate of the dude that shot her, but that was more of a prologue, starting point to finding the real bad guy than a necessary connection).

I also agree on the slight overuse of the shaky-cam stuff, but it wasn't anywhere near the degree of Bourne or some other of recent years, and the chases (car? check. boat. check? prop plane? check.) were all stellar. The homage to the greatest Bond movie ever, Goldfinger, was also a nice touch.

Really, there was nothing not to like. I preferred it to Casino Royale even, which I thought was really good.

Additionally, all this should be prefaced by the fact that I mainly spent the entire movie staring at Olga Kurylenko. ******* that women is gorgeous. And the best part? I heard she thinks I'm cute.

Bball
12-05-2008, 04:48 AM
I heard she thinks I'm cute.

You might want to get your hearing checked..... :rimshot:

Bball :zip:

Unclebuck
12-05-2008, 03:13 PM
National Board of Review top 10 movies of the year

Looking forward to seeing Slumdog Millionaire

http://indianapolis.metromix.com/movies/article/slumdog-millionaire-is-2008s/814624/content

Best Film: "Slumdog Millionaire"

Top Ten Films (In alphabetical order): "
Burn After Reading,"
"Changeling,"
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,"
"The Dark Knight,"
"Defiance,"
"Frost/Nixon,"
"Gran Torino,"
"Milk,"
"Wall-E,"
"The Wrestler"

count55
12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Agreed. Battle of the Bulge is really, really, really bad.

I hope you've watched Band of Brothers. By far the best WWII thing in thing I've ever seen and all the Bastion stuff is particularly amazing. In fact, Band of Brothers is probably the best non-The Wire serial to ever appear on film.

I have not seen "Band of Brothers". Not sure why, but it's one of those things that I never seem to want to watch when I have the chance. That's about the 101st, and my dad was in the 82nd. He made all four combat jumps (Sicily, Italy, Normandy (D-Day), and Nijnmage (Operation Marketgarden - A Bridge Too Far) and fought in all 7 major battle actions the division had.

"The Longest Day" is a fantastic movie, and "A Bridge Too Far" is a mediocre movie, but a fantastic book. Cornelius Ryan is really good.

GO!!!!!
12-05-2008, 04:45 PM
I concur, Watched QoS last week and wow, what was it.. it has one/or the the director of the Bourne Series so that explains some simality but yeah, I was dissapointed too, action sure, gadgets no, storyline half, James Bond No...

watched Madagascar 2, last night, dunno, really torn, maybe i am having a early midlife crisis but that movie to me wasen't funny at all, sure the penguins kick arse but really, hardly laughed at all, maybe it's not a haha kids cartoon but yeah.. dunno... dunno...

My Top 2 from the year
1. Batman
2. Tropic Thunder

My Worst From the year
1. Zohan

Suaveness
12-05-2008, 04:53 PM
My favorite movies this year were TDK, Get Smart, and Wall-E.

Bball
12-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I have not seen "Band of Brothers". Not sure why, but it's one of those things that I never seem to want to watch when I have the chance. That's about the 101st, and my dad was in the 82nd. He made all four combat jumps (Sicily, Italy, Normandy (D-Day), and Nijnmage (Operation Marketgarden - A Bridge Too Far) and fought in all 7 major battle actions the division had.

"The Longest Day" is a fantastic movie, and "A Bridge Too Far" is a mediocre movie, but a fantastic book. Cornelius Ryan is really good.

Sounds like you need to watch "Band of Brothers". I put it off for a while thinking it would be different than it was (I was expecting your normal television mini-series/soap opera crap or maybe a notch above and be more of a low budget, watered down, tv movie feel). I was wrong. I'd go so far as to call it excellent. I did not look cheaply made at all. ...well acted... intriguing... well produced.

I wish I'd watched it sooner (like when it first aired).

count55
12-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Sounds like you need to watch "Band of Brothers". I put it off for a while thinking it would be different than it was (I was expecting your normal television mini-series/soap opera crap or maybe a notch above and be more of a low budget, watered down, tv movie feel). I was wrong. I'd go so far as to call it excellent. I did not look cheaply made at all. ...well acted... intriguing... well produced.

I wish I'd watched it sooner (like when it first aired).

I have no doubt that it was excellent. Several friends and members of my family have recommended it.

My dad's been dead for almost 32 years now, but I think there may still be a little bit of a mental block for me on this. I'm sure I'll watch it, but I just haven't gotten there, yet.

Trader Joe
12-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Band of Brothers is one of the best films ever made. It's not even a mini-series, it is incredible.

ilive4sports
12-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Band of Brothers is one of the best films ever made. It's not even a mini-series, it is incredible.

I am watching Band of Brothers now. Picked it up on Blu Ray at Best Buy for $60. I read the book and really liked it and always wanted to see it and couldnt pass up that price.

JayRedd
12-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm jealous that you get to see Band of Brothers for the first time.

It's unfathomably good.

Watch the extras after you're done if you still have the attention span. The interviews with the real soldiers are phenomenal and its uncanny how much the cat from Brooklyn looks/sounds like his is the actor who played him plus 50 years.

ilive4sports
12-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Oh i am definitely going to watch all the extras. I loved the book and am so glad i found it for that price. WWII is my favorite era of history too so it fits in perfectly.

Shade
12-08-2008, 12:31 PM
Twilight

I have never read the book, but was..."coerced" into seeing the movie.

It was...okay. The pacing was really weird, with too much time spent on the "love" scenes and the other stuff accelerating too fast. The movie was two hours long, but could have been trimmed by 20-30 minutes pretty easily without losing anything significant.

Some of the dialogue was cheesy and cliche.

The scenery was excellent for the most part, and a lot of the teenagers' acting was spot-on, even to an annoying fault.

6.5/10

Shade
12-08-2008, 12:36 PM
National Board of Review top 10 movies of the year

Looking forward to seeing Slumdog Millionaire

http://indianapolis.metromix.com/movies/article/slumdog-millionaire-is-2008s/814624/content

Best Film: "Slumdog Millionaire"

Top Ten Films (In alphabetical order): "
Burn After Reading,"
"Changeling,"
"The Curious Case of Benjamin Button,"
"The Dark Knight,"
"Defiance,"
"Frost/Nixon,"
"Gran Torino,"
"Milk,"
"Wall-E,"
"The Wrestler"

I concur, Watched QoS last week and wow, what was it.. it has one/or the the director of the Bourne Series so that explains some simality but yeah, I was dissapointed too, action sure, gadgets no, storyline half, James Bond No...

watched Madagascar 2, last night, dunno, really torn, maybe i am having a early midlife crisis but that movie to me wasen't funny at all, sure the penguins kick arse but really, hardly laughed at all, maybe it's not a haha kids cartoon but yeah.. dunno... dunno...

My Top 2 from the year
1. Batman
2. Tropic Thunder

My Worst From the year
1. Zohan

My favorite movies this year were TDK, Get Smart, and Wall-E.

No love for Iron Man? It's at least on par with TDK (and, IMO, even slightly better).

DisplacedKnick
12-08-2008, 12:53 PM
No love for Iron Man? It's at least on par with TDK (and, IMO, even slightly better).

Not for me it wasn't.

travmil
12-08-2008, 12:54 PM

Well, I also thought that and said so earlier in this thread, but we are apparently in a very small minority.

Hicks
12-08-2008, 01:12 PM
I view TDK as an A(+ when I'm in a good mood) superhero movie, and Iron Man as a B+/A- when I'm in a good mood.

Suaveness
12-08-2008, 03:04 PM

:blush: Iron Man should be there too (I forgot about it). Thought it was a very good movie.

Shade
12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
I think, overall, Iron Man is the (very slightly) superior movie. TDK just has a few small plot-holes/inconsistencies that hinder it a tad.

Speaking of TDK, really looking forward to the Blu-Ray release tomorrow. :cool:

GO!!!!!
12-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Me thinks I have posted this before.. Iron Man was ok, but the last scene just lost me, I thought I was watching Transformers..

Maybe I'm to harsh...

Wasen't a bad movie, but I have watched Batman like err 4 times now, well 3 1/2, diden't finish the last one.. and Iron Man, is just sitting there on all lonely, next to Waterworld...

Watched Hunger last night

Gripping storey about the IRA and there hunger strike in the early 80's

Good Movie, Enjoyed it in a sad way, worth watching if you like hearing about peoples beliefs, not so much religion but beliefs and motivation to act accordingly.

Some parts could have had some more infomation... but in the end it was all about Bobby Sands ( I think) and the side stories diden't play a big part..

Bit hard to hear at times, good Irish Accents, Directed by Steve McQueen

Unclebuck
12-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Saw Slumdog Millionaire today. It was really good. I hope some of you have a chance to see it. Difficult to describe. I actually had never heard of it until I read it was voted best film of the year by the National Board of whatever it is.

SoupIsGood
12-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Bolt

I really loved this. I'm a sucker for these movies. (Though I don't mean for that to discredit the movie - sure it was aimed at kids, but the writing was excellent [aside from when the plot had to be pushed along, and possibly aside from when they got a little too indulgent with the snobby writing-workshop critique-speak jokes]. I wish I could write dialogue like that.)

sweabs
12-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Get Smart

It was a good recommendation from Newms. Step Brothers is on the agenda for tomorrow.

Bball
12-09-2008, 12:03 AM
I don't see Iron Man and TDK as close. TDK was something special for comic book superhero movies. Iron Man was just a better than average super hero movie IMHO.

I think Ledger's Joker was excellent and made the movie into something special because it moved things into another realm. Harvey Dent... meh...

Holes? Yeah... but it's a comic book movie so worrying about how the Joker got explosives on a boat or in a hospital wasn't going to give me too much pause if I was already accepting a guy in a batsuit fighting crime and a wicked clown being a master criminal.

N8R
12-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Oh man you are going to enjoy Step Brother there sweabs. Billy G.

Fun With Dick and Jane

Hadn't seen it before which actually surprised me. There were some good funny parts in it and over all I liked how it ended, just some of the middle I think they tended to jump to ridiculous a little fast but in a humourous way nonetheless. Not the best Jim Carrey movie but far from the worst *ahem* 23.

JayRedd
12-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I don't see Iron Man and TDK as close. TDK was something special for comic book superhero movies. Iron Man was just a better than average super hero movie IMHO.

I think Ledger's Joker was excellent and made the movie into something special because it moved things into another realm. Harvey Dent... meh...

Holes? Yeah... but it's a comic book movie so worrying about how the Joker got explosives on a boat or in a hospital wasn't going to give me too much pause if I was already accepting a guy in a batsuit fighting crime and a wicked clown being a master criminal.

All this sums up why, to me, Iron Man was the more successfully executed endeavor.

All Iron Man wanted to do was be an awesome, kickass superhero movie with a bad-*** mo-fo flying around in a suit, smacking around one-dimensional bad guys and dropping witty/comical one liners. It knew exactly what it was to the point that it even included self-mockery like the Burger King product placement gag. And in it's attempt to be a summer blockbuster, big action, franchise-kick-starting, toy manufacturing endeavor, it was an overwhelming success.

The Dark Knight was a much more ambitious film. Yes...a film. It was attempting to speak to the audience on a much deeper level and include layers of nuance and social commentary -- not to mention the continual metaphors of "The Dark Knight" being a part of the human psyche' and how man has to deal with that.

Most good comics are fronts for higher ideals as part of their very makeup, sure. X-Men is at its heart about dealing with alienation. Superman is about justice and goodness. Etc.

But The Dark Knight tried to talk about many fundamental realities of life -- evil, loyalty, love, integrity and vengence, among others -- in a manner that traditional films do and used the drama of inter-personal relationships and the story arc of structured character development of both the protagonist and antagonist in an attempt to achieve these things.

When you attempt to do something like that, you are naturally going to engender more criticism -- and rightfully so. You can't attempt to speak philosophically about an ideal like vengeance for so much of the movie and then expect me to turn the other way when Harvey Dent's descent from irreproachable angel to sociopath is so absurdly quick -- and based upon a misunderstanding that any normal, social servent that we were led to believe he was for two straight hours would have talked out with Bat Man by saying "Why did you let her die?" and him replying "I actually tried to save her and let you die but Joker, that crafty villian, switched the address" and then Dent saying "Really? What a dick. Let's kill him."

It's really an overwhelmingly sloppy transition.

Had this been a comic book movie, I would overlook that crap -- just like I overlook the fact that there's no realistic way that Tony Stark could have made that suit in his cave with radioactive material he was using or some of the poorer aspects of X2 that I can't recall right now.

But The Dark Knight wasn't trying to be just a comic book movie -- it was attempting to be a deep film. And when your ambition is loftier, harsher criticism is warranted than when you're making tongue-in-cheek references about product placement and goofing around with robots to make little kids laugh.

I can think of many movies that speak to the concepts of vengeance, love-loss, balancing social responsiblity with personal desire and the other key aspects of The Dark Knight better than that movie did.

But I can't think of many movies that speak to the concepts of kicking-***, taking names, invincibility, HOLY **** THAT WAS AWESOME, guy-in-a-suit-flying-like-a-F22-Hornet, tryna bang your assistant, sly comedy, filing a hole in your chest with something bad-*** and the like any better than Iron Man did. (X2 notwithstanding.)

DisplacedKnick
12-09-2008, 02:37 PM
I liked Iron Man but it had 2 major flaws for me.

First and foremost was I thought it was lacking in character development and evolution. We didn't learn a lot about the main protag before he was captured except he likes to sell guns, and his character didn't really change a whole lot - he was still an arrogant, self-centered twit. Yeah, he decided not to sell guns but I didn't see a real, believable character change.

Second is there was too much cornball. Dialogue that was stupid and just didn't work. Still an enjoyable action movie but guess what - I highly doubt I'll worry about a sequel, if there is one, except maybe to rent on a slow night.

I do think TDK overreached at times. The Joker was enough villain - didn't need to go into the Dent character. But for me it was still a much easier film to be immersed in and not get yanked out every time a piece of idiot dialogue slipped in.

In TDK the story was more important, I cared more about the characters, it fit together more logically until the final 20 minutes - just a weightier prduction in pretty much every aspect.

Shade
12-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Wow DK, you're one of the very, very, VERY few people I know that didn't love Iron Man. I didn't find any of the dialogue corny or out of place (watch Twilight if you want some of that), and the actors fit their comic counterparts damn near to a tee. My only main gripe was that it was not revealed that Obidiah was the one responsible for Howard Stark's death, establishing that he's always been a Judas.

TDK was great, but the pacing was a bit off, and there were some transition issues as well, none of which I noticed in IM. So the latter gets the nod for me.

DisplacedKnick
12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I don't do comics so that may be my fatal character flaw. :blush:

rexnom
12-09-2008, 04:59 PM
All this sums up why, to me, Iron Man was the more successfully executed endeavor.

All Iron Man wanted to do was be an awesome, kickass superhero movie with a bad-*** mo-fo flying around in a suit, smacking around one-dimensional bad guys and dropping witty/comical one liners. It knew exactly what it was to the point that it even included self-mockery like the Burger King product placement gag. And in it's attempt to be a summer blockbuster, big action, franchise-kick-starting, toy manufacturing endeavor, it was an overwhelming success.

The Dark Knight was a much more ambitious film. Yes...a film. It was attempting to speak to the audience on a much deeper level and include layers of nuance and social commentary -- not to mention the continual metaphors of "The Dark Knight" being a part of the human psyche' and how man has to deal with that.

Most good comics are fronts for higher ideals as part of their very makeup, sure. X-Men is at its heart about dealing with alienation. Superman is about justice and goodness. Etc.

But The Dark Knight tried to talk about many fundamental realities of life -- evil, loyalty, love, integrity and vengence, among others -- in a manner that traditional films do and used the drama of inter-personal relationships and the story arc of structured character development of both the protagonist and antagonist in an attempt to achieve these things.

When you attempt to do something like that, you are naturally going to engender more criticism -- and rightfully so. You can't attempt to speak philosophically about an ideal like vengeance for so much of the movie and then expect me to turn the other way when Harvey Dent's descent from irreproachable angel to sociopath is so absurdly quick -- and based upon a misunderstanding that any normal, social servent that we were led to believe he was for two straight hours would have talked out with Bat Man by saying "Why did you let her die?" and him replying "I actually tried to save her and let you die but Joker, that crafty villian, switched the address" and then Dent saying "Really? What a dick. Let's kill him."

It's really an overwhelmingly sloppy transition.

Had this been a comic book movie, I would overlook that crap -- just like I overlook the fact that there's no realistic way that Tony Stark could have made that suit in his cave with radioactive material he was using or some of the poorer aspects of X2 that I can't recall right now.

But The Dark Knight wasn't trying to be just a comic book movie -- it was attempting to be a deep film. And when your ambition is loftier, harsher criticism is warranted than when you're making tongue-in-cheek references about product placement and goofing around with robots to make little kids laugh.

I can think of many movies that speak to the concepts of vengeance, love-loss, balancing social responsiblity with personal desire and the other key aspects of The Dark Knight better than that movie did.

But I can't think of many movies that speak to the concepts of kicking-***, taking names, invincibility, HOLY **** THAT WAS AWESOME, guy-in-a-suit-flying-like-a-F22-Hornet, tryna bang your assistant, sly comedy, filing a hole in your chest with something bad-*** and the like any better than Iron Man did. (X2 notwithstanding.)
I hate to say it but that was a count55-esque post on these movies. Wow. Didn't think you had it in you.

Unclebuck
12-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Wow, several of you are really dissecting TDK and Iron Man. I look at it this way when I am judging those two movies. For 2 or 2.5 hours which one did I enjoy more - and for better or for worse I had a better time watching TDK on IMAX for 2.5 hours than I did watching Iron Man for 2 hours. I think for these two movies to really delve any deper is a waste of time.

Watching TDK on IMAX was one of the more memorable movie going experience I have had in my lifetime of watching movies. When it was over I said "that was a great movie" it was a fun experience

count55
12-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I hate to say it but that was a count55-esque post on these movies. Wow. Didn't think you had it in you.

JR, I wouldn't take that kind of insult if I were you.

sweabs
12-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Step Brothers

It was awesome. I will probably watch it another 2 or 3 times in the next month.

N8R
12-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Yes I knew you would love it. Will we have to watch it at my place when you are home.

sweabs
12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Aaron Russo's America: Freedom to Fascism

Verrrrrry good. I had seen the last bit on the New World Order before...I don't remember where. But I enjoyed watching the documentary in its entirety.

LoneGranger33
12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
Step Brothers

It was awesome.

Aaron Russo's America: Freedom to Fascism

Verrrrrry good.

You can't be same guy.

DisplacedKnick
12-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Hancock - Liked it better than I expected. Action was solid, good pace, got to like the characters as things went on. A little corny but OK.

Strangers - Well, I give 'em props for trying to build suspense but IMO it just moved slow. The empty space seemed just like space to me - not tension-building. But at least it wasn't a pure hack and slash. Wouldn't recommend it though, even with Liv Tyler.

LoneGranger33
12-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Oddly enough, DK, those were the last two "new movies" I've seen, and I saw them on the same day - the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Quite the coincidence. I share your thoughts on both movies as well.

sweabs
12-13-2008, 12:37 AM
You can't be same guy.
All depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Believe it or not, I do venture outside the realm of "counting" (despite what my PD-mood says).

Come on. You don't like sitting down to watch a stupid movie like Step Brothers every now and then?

N8R
12-13-2008, 06:32 AM
Did you just call Step Brothers a stupid movie? I officially hate you more than Ian Blay.

Step Brothers

Had to watch it again after reading that sweabs watched it. It was my 3rd go and I still find the beginning so funny that I laugh out loud by myself every time.

sweabs
12-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Bigger, Stronger, Faster

Anyone else seen this? Great documentary on steroids and their place in American culture.

N8R
12-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Ghost Town

I enjoyed it a great deal. I am a big fan of Ricky Gervais and anything he does so I might be a bit biased but it was a good story told well with a good amount of humour injected into it. Predictable at some parts but for the most parts it was a surprise around each corner.

idioteque
12-14-2008, 09:35 AM
Grindhouse, an instant classic for me. Nothing better than a bowl of spicy chili and a Bud and Grindhouse.

N8R
12-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Lakeview Terrace

I liked it. Couldnt predict it so that was a good thing. Though it was going to be a different movie for the most part. Produced by Will Smith which was a surprise when I saw it. Not cause of the style but I dodnt know he was into production. Samuel jackson played a good character. I hated him.

JayRedd
12-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Kinsey - 7/10

Not bad. I like just about anything Liam Neeson does, so that probably helped (I can see more socially conservative folk really hating this). It gets a little repetitive and melodramatic in the final act, but the subject matter is obviously of interest to everyone and -- although I very little understanding about the plot and character's connection to reality other than the study was a huge deal and conducted in a similar way -- it's interesting to see how little people knew just four or five decades ago about the fundamental realities of sexuality that we now take for granted.

SoupIsGood
12-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Ghost Town

I enjoyed it a great deal. I am a big fan of Ricky Gervais and anything he does so I might be a bit biased but it was a good story told well with a good amount of humour injected into it. Predictable at some parts but for the most parts it was a surprise around each corner.

How did you see this? Illegal download? Or is it out on DVD? I've be wanting to see it for awhile now.

Peck
12-14-2008, 05:17 PM
The day the earth stood still.

It has been a long long time since I've seen the original so I want to go back and see if this is how the original ended.

I don't really know how to rate this film. Good visuals and special affects, however short on depth of characters. Also, not to belabor the obvious here, but there was certainly a definate political swaying on this film (which I understand is typical but still).

If you have nothing else to do and don't mind dropping a few dollars on the film I would say it would be ok. However I don't think this would go into my "recommend to a friend" list of films.

Unclebuck
12-14-2008, 06:19 PM
The day the earth stood still.

It has been a long long time since I've seen the original so I want to go back and see if this is how the original ended.

I don't really know how to rate this film. Good visuals and special affects, however short on depth of characters. Also, not to belabor the obvious here, but there was certainly a definate political swaying on this film (which I understand is typical but still).

If you have nothing else to do and don't mind dropping a few dollars on the film I would say it would be ok. However I don't think this would go into my "recommend to a friend" list of films.

Yeah, I saw this today also. Not good, but then I knew going in I probably wouldn't like it. I would go to see another movie if i were you. I thought the special effects seemed lke something from about 15 years ago. The really sad thing is a movie like this will have many times more people who see it then a completely original and the great Slumdug Millionaire.

Hicks
12-14-2008, 06:57 PM
I just listened to a review of Slumdug Millionaire an hour ago (I subscribe to the podcast, "Filmspotting," anyone else out there?), and now I am interested in checking it out. I probably won't see it until I have a chance to rent it, but I'm interested.

avoidingtheclowns
12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
haven't seen slumdog yet (might go sometime this week) but definitely interested.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ... C-
first of all, the movie ran nearly 3 hours - the editors could have sliced 60-90 minutes out of it and nobody would have noticed. obviously eric roth (screenwriter) embraces the whole 'wise elder reminds everybody about how important stories are and how life is all about taking chances' method of screenwriting; in a lot of ways this movie plays like the lovechild of Big Fish and Forrest Gump (the latter being another screenplay by roth). the whole thing is... well... curious because while it is decently directed (by david fincher, whose Zodiac, Fight Club and Se7en i enjoy) and decently acted, what we get is something flat, long, preachy and unfocused.

i'll keep it purposefully vague for now until it's released.

AesopRockOn
12-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Gran Torino - Clint's acting makes this go from standard drama to extremely enjoyable, thought-provoking and entertaining journey. It's really tough not to call him the best on the planet. Really tough.

N8R
12-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I downloaded a DVD rip of it of the net. There are there and ripped by Axxo.

ATC - how did you see that movie already? It doesnt come out till x-mas.

avoidingtheclowns
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM

advance press screening.

thanks to well-placed generous friends, i get into a ton of press or publicity advance screenings. out of the 50 or so films i've seen in the last two and a half years i've probably only paid for like six of them. it's a beautiful thing and it's next to impossible to convince myself that paying theatre prices is worth it.

rexnom
12-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Slumdog millionaire was indeed excellent.

Pig Nash
12-14-2008, 11:16 PM
add me to the list that liked slumdog.

count55
12-14-2008, 11:21 PM
I downloaded a DVD rip of it of the net. There are there and ripped by Axxo.

I'm an employee of a CD-DVD replicator and distributor. Our US Manufacturing operation will be replicating it's last disc by the end of the first quarter next year. On December 31st, some 280 employees of that plant will be terminated. The remaining 150 will be out of work by the end of April when the plant officially closes its doors.

I, myself, will likely be unemployed on January 1st. My most likely safety net, at the moment, is if the company who purchased the book of business elects to claim me as a "transfer" employee. Should this happen, I would then have a 200-mile round trip from door-to-door every day. Oh, and by the way, I'd then be employed by another CD-DVD replicator/distributor.

It would be foolish to say that these jobs were lost due to illegal downloads and ripping of movies or music. This industry and market is besieged by declining demand, rough economy, and the presence of legal downloads. Even if I were to land with the other company, I am well aware that I will still be in the next buggy whip industry.

That being said, illegal downloads are still stealing, and they did not help our situation. I find the casual acceptance of it disturbing. I'm sure there's any number of rationalizations. I may get lectures on free markets, or some coffee house bull**** about freedom or some such nonsense. Some may say that the studios and the actors or artists already make too much money. To that, I say that two-thirds of the soon-to-be-unemployed workers in North Carolina made less than $35,000 per year. Mostly, I just think that people who do illegal downloads have no other motivation than they want what they want, and they can get away with taking it.

This is OT, and it was really more appropriate for the DVD ripping thread, but...I don't know. I'm sure most will just say, "**** him" and keep doing what they do. Fine. I've said what I feel needed to be said.

Unclebuck
12-14-2008, 11:48 PM
haven't seen slumdog yet (might go sometime this week) but definitely interested.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ... C-
first of all, the movie ran nearly 3 hours - the editors could have sliced 60-90 minutes out of it and nobody would have noticed. obviously eric roth (screenwriter) embraces the whole 'wise elder reminds everybody about how important stories are and how life is all about taking chances' method of screenwriting; in a lot of ways this movie plays like the lovechild of Big Fish and Forrest Gump (the latter being another screenplay by roth). the whole thing is... well... curious because while it is decently directed (by david fincher, whose Zodiac, Fight Club and Se7en i enjoy) and decently acted, what we get is something flat, long, preachy and unfocused.

i'll keep it purposefully vague for now until it's released.

I was looking forward to seeing it. The trailer I think is fantastic

avoidingtheclowns
12-14-2008, 11:58 PM
I was looking forward to seeing it. The trailer I think is fantastic

different strokes, different blokes. given the golden globe nominations, there are plenty of people who disagree with my perspective.

Unclebuck
12-15-2008, 12:19 AM
different strokes, different blokes. given the golden globe nominations, there are plenty of people who disagree with my perspective.

I tend to like the award winning type movies, so I think or at least hope to like it more than you. HAVE read it is too long though

N8R
12-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Yeah I will need to see at movie for sure too. Just wait till a tues after it is out for cheap movie night.

I understand your comments there Count. But like you mentioned while I can get away with it I will. I just dont have a desire to see most movie more than once so I dont want to purchase them for far too much and renting is an option but I hate rental stores too. it is just more convenient this way. But I do understand your point of view and I am glad you expressed it. Always does make me think, but it wont make me stop.

N8R
12-15-2008, 04:51 AM
Saw V

For being a 5th installment I actually liked it. Explained a little bit of the back story but there is room for many more to come.

Peck
12-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Yeah I will need to see at movie for sure too. Just wait till a tues after it is out for cheap movie night.

I understand your comments there Count. But like you mentioned while I can get away with it I will. I just dont have a desire to see most movie more than once so I dont want to purchase them for far too much and renting is an option but I hate rental stores too. it is just more convenient this way. But I do understand your point of view and I am glad you expressed it. Always does make me think, but it wont make me stop.

Don't take this as an insult because I do not intend it to be one, I am just making an observation based on past experiance.

While downloading copyrighted content happens a great deal in the U.S., I'll say probably more than anywhere else in the world, it has been my experiance that for some reason Canadians tend to do it in greater % and overall have a far more miltant attitude about it when it is brought up.

Again, I am not making any judgements about it. It's just an observation that I have from youtube and several other boards I visit.

I don't know if copyright laws are the same up there as they are here.

But let's not kid ourselves, it is horrid if not worse here in the U.S.

N8R
12-15-2008, 06:48 AM
It is hard to offend me so don't worry about that. And no the copyright laws are not the same to my understanding. We have much less harsh fines. I think up here if whomever finds copyright material on us we get a $500 fine for all of it. I know I have more than $500 worth of copyright material so I dont worry as much.

There is just no precedent set here of anyone getting in trouble for copyright so there is no fear of getting caught. I honestly dont think of it as a crime. I know it is but to me it is like jaywalking.

The Flock

I solely downloaded this movie because Avril Lavigne is in it. I thought she had a bigger role but the 3 minutes she was in were not too bad. The movie as a whole was pretty good. Interesting and very unbelievable but it was a good waste of an hour and half. I wouldnt really recommend it to other people just because there wasnt really anything new in it. Just kind of blends into past movies I have seen.

N8R
12-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Elegy

Um yeah. Boring. The best of the movie was getting to see Penelope Cruz's breasts on a couple of occasions. It was slow, long and i just had a hard time getting into the story line. I am too much into action and murder and fast paced everything that when i movie that moves slowly comes along my attention span just isnt there. I made it through the movie but I almost turned it off after an hour when I realized there was still a lot of the movie left.

N8R
12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Didnt even know this movie existed until I read the Gloden Globe Nominations in the paper during the week and they mentioned this movie as the film that got Downie Jr back on track. I liked it a lot. Twists and turns, a good amount of murder and a very sexy pair of titties on an actress that I wanted to see them very badly so that makes this movie that much better. Val Kilmer was even good in this.

avoidingtheclowns
12-15-2008, 11:24 AM
i should start quoting Gay Perry more on here.

Knucklehead Warrior
12-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Gregory Peck -- Capt Horatio Hornblower, 1951

Wu-Gambino
12-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Reservoir Dogs - Thought it was pretty good, but I feel that Tarantino is pretty overrated. Looking at the IMDB TOp 250, I don't think it deserves to be ranked as high as 68.

The Departed - Fourth time I've seen this movie, and it's one of my favorites. The performances are amazing, especially DiCaprio's. You really feel the amount of stress he goes under when he's an undercover.

travmil
12-15-2008, 04:39 PM
The Departed - Fourth time I've seen this movie, and it's one of my favorites. The performances are amazing, especially DiCaprio's. You really feel the amount of stress he goes under when he's an undercover.

I agree that this flick is great and that Leo is good in it. I've always felt thought that Mark Wahlberg practically stole this movie. How he didn't win best supporting actor for this is beyond me.