PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

travmil
06-09-2008, 08:15 AM
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - Good cast, good cinematography, good story, lousy pacing. The first 15 minutes are good, then the rest of the picture is spent following Jesse around on a horse until Robert Ford kills him. That's where it should end but it goes on for another pointless half hour after that.

Narnia - Battle scenes were good, CG was REALLY good. Story was OK if you can get past the "all you need is faith" theme that they bludgeon you over the head with.

Indiana Jones - Absolutely preposterous. A horrible flick. I refuse to believe that this is the best Indy script they could come up with after such a long wait.

Semi Pro - It's Will Farrell so you know what to expect going in. I'm not sick of him yet but I understand that some are. I enjoyed it for what it is, a funny comedy.

Strange Wilderness - I made it through the first 25 or so minutes before turning off this steaming pile of a movie. Thank goodness I waited until DVD.

JayRedd
06-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Nobody's Fool

I can't recall ever seeing a bad Paul Newman movie. I really think I've literally enjoyed ever flick I've seen him in.

The Hustler, Butch and Sundance, Slapshot and Cool Hand Luke obviously stand above the rest, but when you add in the ones I've seen over the last few years (Nobody's Fool, The Sting, Hombre, The Verdict, Empire Falls, Hudsucker Proxy, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) dude is undisputedly in the JayRedd Fav Five Actors and is probably even #2 after Bogey.

His performance in this one is particularly good and its nice to see that he didn't lose his fastball in old age.

I mean, for a salad dressing maker, this guy sure can act.

I also saw I Now Pronounce You Chuck And Larry. It actually wasn't half bad and Jessica Biel is unreal. And, hey, that's a rhyme about a dime.

Gyron
06-09-2008, 03:41 PM
Golden Compass-Cool Special effects. Story as shown in the movie pretty much sucked and the ending REALLY sucked. Talked about anti-climatic.

National Treasure 2 Again-I just love that movie. But then again, I have always liked movies that have some historical aspect to them.

ajbry
06-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Pulp Fiction (a couple of days ago): Obviously it was great.

Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs: Better than Bender's Big Score and that's saying something.

Twes
06-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Perfect Stranger (Hallie Barry) - sucked

And The Reaping... analysis on that movie (I know not everyone feels this way) -- Hillary Swank is hot as hell.

travmil
06-12-2008, 08:46 AM
And The Reaping... analysis on that movie (I know not everyone feels this way) -- Hillary Swank is hot as hell.

That's not Hillary Swank....That's a MAN baby!!!

Recent movies...

Hot Fuzz - Bad. I like Shaun of the Dead and this is the same group that put that one together but this is just terrible.

4 Little Girls - Very sad documentary by Spike Lee about the Alabama church bombing that killed 4 girls during the civil rights movement. If you like docs this is a good one.

The Last King of Scotland - Great movie. I never got to see it when it was new but I can see why Forrest Whitaker won best actor for this.

Sweeney Todd - Best bloody horror revenge musical I've ever seen.

I'm home all day today. I'm gonna cue up some old movies I've seen before On Demand and report back.

Suaveness
06-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Superbad

Austing Powers 3- while a mediocre movie, I love the opening sequence

travmil
06-12-2008, 12:30 PM
OK movie number 1 of the day is over.

Robocop - I saw it when it was new 20 odd years ago and hadn't caught so much as a glimpse of it since. I remember liking it at the time. It actually held up surprisingly well. Very over the top gore and violence. It was a low budget show to be sure because the ED-209 robots weren't animated well at all. The AT-AT's in Star Wars moved more realistically and that movie is 10 years older than this one. Another thing I didn't remember, the main villain is the dad from That 70's Show.

I'm trying to choose between Total Recall and 12 Monkeys for movie number 2. I'll keep you posted.

Natston
06-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Cast Away

Finally started all the $5 and $7.50 movies I bought at Wal-mart. I had seen it back when it first came out on video.

Honestly if he would've gotten back together with Helen Hunt then I would have absolutely hated this movie. Granted it was boring at times, but again with what they were doing with the film, it was expected and bearable.

Gyron
06-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I didn't like the ending. I wish the lady would have opened the box to find it was a working satelitte phone or something......

travmil
06-12-2008, 02:37 PM
OK, just got done with 12 Monkeys. I remember not liking this movie when I first saw it. I remember I was a senior in high school and a group of friends and I skipped school and went to the theater and saw it. Seeing it this time around I thought it was pretty good. It reminded me of Children of Men, or I guess CoM should have reminded me of this.

Now on to torture myself with Total Recall...

Twes
06-12-2008, 02:43 PM
The question is, what movie will I next watch.

ABADays
06-12-2008, 02:50 PM
I Am Legend

DisplacedKnick
06-12-2008, 02:57 PM
I didn't like the ending. I wish the lady would have opened the box to find it was a working satelitte phone or something......

What always slays me is the gal is a welder designing ornamental metalwork. Now I know he hit the jackpot with the skates but I'd think there might have been something pretty useful in it.

Twes
06-12-2008, 03:00 PM
What always slays me is the gal is a welder designing ornamental metalwork. Now I know he hit the jackpot with the skates but I'd think there might have been something pretty useful in it.

And you're the guy who loved the No Country For Old Men Ending.

:D

Natston
06-12-2008, 03:21 PM

I get what you're saying, but I liked the open ended ending.

DisplacedKnick
06-12-2008, 04:19 PM
And you're the guy who loved the No Country For Old Men Ending.

:D

I did? I thought it was OK - not sure I loved it.

The ending for Castaway should have had him get back in his car and follow the lady down the road - if it were me, once I saw the wings on her truck I'd have had to turn stalker.

Liked the change in the ranch sign from the opening though.

Twes
06-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I did? I thought it was OK - not sure I loved it.

The ending for Castaway should have had him get back in his car and follow the lady down the road - if it were me, once I saw the wings on her truck I'd have had to turn stalker.

Liked the change in the ranch sign from the opening though.

What was the change in the ranch sign?

DisplacedKnick
06-12-2008, 04:27 PM
What was the change in the rance sign?

Started off with "her husband's first name-wings-her first name". Ended with "wings-her first name". Of course her husband received the package in Russia when he was shacked up with some gal in the opening sequence.

Twes
06-12-2008, 04:32 PM
Started off with "her husband's first name-wings-her first name". Ended with "wings-her first name". Of course her husband received the package in Russia when he was shacked up with some gal in the opening sequence.

Thanks. It's been awhile since I've seen that movie. I think I've only seen it one time too.

DisplacedKnick
06-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks. It's been awhile since I've seen that movie. I think I've only seen it one time too.

I was in Best Buy and it was $9.99 - liked it enough to pay that for the DVD.

travmil
06-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Finished Total Recall. As I suspected, this didn't hold up well at all. My friends and I loved this show when it came out. While watching it I noticed that the special effects and makeup were terrible. Then I seemed to remember that it had won some type of award for visuals. Sure enough, IMDB confirmed that it won the special achievement Oscar for visual effects.This is a movie that could easily get remade though. It's based on a short story so someone else could pick up the mantle with a slightly different interpretation, new actors, and take advantage of the advances in special effects. I'd watch that.

Over the next week, my father in law is going to be staying with us and he's a movie freak. We'll probably blow through half the DVD's in our library and visit Redbox every day, so I should have plenty of material for the forseeable future.

Twes
06-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Knocked Up

I don't know what I was thinking

DisplacedKnick
06-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Knocked Up

I don't know what I was thinking

You were thinking you might see Katherine Heigl nekked.

At least that's what I was thinking.

Twes
06-13-2008, 08:17 AM
You were thinking you might see Katherine Heigl nekked.

At least that's what I was thinking.

You might be on to something there. Wait, I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

Instead we were treated to sex scenes in a bra. WTF was that.

Twes
06-13-2008, 08:19 AM
I was in Best Buy and it was $9.99 - liked it enough to pay that for the DVD.

I remember I thought the crash scenes were really realistic in that movie.

Twes
06-13-2008, 10:20 AM
I might have to return to the classics this weekend.

I don't see anything but B movies on the video store pages

JayRedd
06-13-2008, 01:31 PM
You might be on to something there. Wait, I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

Instead we were treated to sex scenes in a bra. WTF was that.

It's just a style. We don't have to go outside or anything.

Twes
06-13-2008, 01:45 PM
It's just a style. We don't have to go outside or anything.

You must have me mistaken for someone else.

Spicoli
06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
The Good The Bad and The Ugly

I flocking love that movie.

spreedom
06-13-2008, 02:59 PM
Saw The Incredible Hulk last night. It was a lot better than I expected, and there are a LOT of little Marvel references in there for fans... and a great cameo in the end. Overall I'd give it 8/10!

Natston
06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Ocean's Eleven

Had seen it before, yet barely remembered any of it. Decent film though...

Ocean's Twelve

I should have just skipped this one...

count55
06-13-2008, 06:55 PM
American Gangster

Semi Pro

Meh...

SycamoreKen
06-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Watched part of Tora! Tora! Tora! today. It was the Pearl Harbor attack scene. I was watching it and Dog Fights on the History Channel which was ab out kamakasi attacks. Very interesting.

Shade
06-14-2008, 02:30 AM
The Happening

Very underwhelming. Great premise, average execution. Meh.

JayRedd
06-14-2008, 02:43 AM
The New World

Terrance Malick makes beautiful films. The cinematography, score and general presentation of this one is remarkable. Every scene is highly choreographed as part of the whole and the entire film is artistically breathtaking.

Too bad it was boring as all hell. There's really very little story here and aside from a lot of frolicking in the forrest, very little actually happens. The performances are all well done and aside from the mildly annoying narration, everything is technically sound, but it's just dull. I mean, I'll still give it an eight on imdb, but I certainly won't ever watch it again.

Twes
06-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Scarface

Good Will Hunting

Collateral

The Toxic Avenger
06-14-2008, 06:33 PM
The Hulk.

Good Film

Arcadian
06-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm not Here...not a movie to watch when you don't want to concentrate or know what is happening.

Hicks
06-14-2008, 09:32 PM
The Incredible Hulk. I'm somewhere between "meh" and "okay".

Unclebuck
06-14-2008, 10:30 PM
The Happening

Very underwhelming. Great premise, average execution. Meh.

I heard the first 15 minutes or so were realy good and then the movie just sort of died.

Was the Hulk just too much action? I have not seen it yet and not sure I want too

Hicks
06-14-2008, 10:42 PM
There are basically three big action scenes, and the middle one is the best (though none are bad). My problem was that was the "meh" part, generally speaking, for me.

I was much more into the Bruce Banner stuff, and it starts our pretty good, then the movie flicks the "we're a summer blockbuster movie" switch, and it gets buried.

Peck
06-15-2008, 02:31 AM
I just saw the happening.

It's really to bad the Shyamalan seems to have peaked and now is on the downward spiral. Honestly I feel really bad for him because he is a victim of his own success and has set the bar so high with his early work that anything less than a masterpiece from him seems weak.

The happening is honestly just a film that seems to go nowhere and there are no characters that you can seem to get behind.

Sadly though the most troublesome thing about this film is how badly Alan Ruck has aged over the years.

Alan from Ferris Beuller

http://www.movieactors.com/freezeframes33/ferris633.jpeg

Alan today

http://www.rawrimages.com/AlanRuck-rawrimages-001.JPG/AlanRuck-rawrimages-001-medium.jpg

That second photo is still 100 times better than he looked in this film btw.

EDIT: I guess I did not realize how old he was when he played Camron. Damn he pulled off a 17 year old at 30, that's impressive.

So maybe he hasn't aged as badly as I though because he is much older than I thought he actually was.

Anyway, go see another movie and don't waste your time on this one.

Jose Slaughter
06-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Thats too bad Peck, that was to be my fathers day gift to myself.

I just watched A Birth of a Nation, considering its a 1915 film it was amazingly well done. Considering the way they told the story... kinda left me feeling cold & empty inside. Its one of those movies that make a lot of historians "must see" list and if you can over look the blatent racist slant you might enjoy the film. I enjoyed the first half of the film & was repulsed by the 2nd.

The day before, I watched the Marx Brothers, Animal Crackers. I've enjoyed other Marx Brothers films in the past but for some reason had never seen Animal Crackers from start to finish. Not much of story line & if you've seen Duck Soup or Day at the Races I'm sure you'll know how the Brothers work, but they really seem to be at the top of their game this time. Watching the inter-play between Groucho & Chico is a treat.

Shade
06-15-2008, 09:06 PM
The Incredible Hulk. Not bad, and a sweet cameo at the end. Definitely better than the first film.

Shade
06-15-2008, 09:11 PM
I heard the first 15 minutes or so were realy good and then the movie just sort of died.

Like Peck said, the movie just seems to go in circles and never really accomplish anything. The "explanation" also doesn't make any sense. There are a lot of holes in the logic of the story and there is absolutely nothing in the film deserving of an R rating.

Shade
06-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I was much more into the Bruce Banner stuff, and it starts our pretty good, then the movie flicks the "we're a summer blockbuster movie" switch, and it gets buried.

Edward Norton agrees with you, but you can thank the general moviegoers for that. The main complaint of the first film was that there wasn't enough action.

Personally, I felt the new one was a solid mix of story and action.

Stryder
06-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I Know Who Killed Me...

It was bad, but not as bad as some people try to make it out to be. By far, not the worst movie ever. Lindsay Lohan was decent.

bellisimo
06-16-2008, 07:14 AM
In Bruges

A nice hitman movie - would recommend

Lars and the Real Girl

it was funny and sad at the same time...

Gyron
06-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Remember the titans-Just a great movie
Drumline-Love the drumline

I've started watching the "When we left Earth" series on Discovery. Its a mini series on the history of Nasa and the astronauts. Very very good so far.

Spicoli
06-16-2008, 10:03 AM
No Country for Old Men finally.

I think I enjoyed it, my kind of movie. But I was pretty drunk so I need to watch it again.

Natston
06-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I watched the first part of Herbie Fully Loaded the other day.

It was bad, but not as bad as some people try to make it out to be. By far, not the worst movie ever. Lindsay Lohan was decent.

Gyron
06-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Did you watch Jayredd's favorite, the princess diaries too?

Natston
06-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I intend to ignore that one...

Jose Slaughter
06-17-2008, 01:51 AM
Grace is Gone

A John Cusack film about a father struggling to tell his two daughters that their mother was killed in Iraq.

It sounds sappy but if you like Cusack I would recommend it.

Gyron
06-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Iron Eagle. Man was that some cheesy acting....

tora tora
06-17-2008, 12:54 PM
The Incredible Hulk

Cool to see Lou Ferrigno in there....

travmil
06-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Went to see The Happening yesterday. It wasn't neary as bad as critics and everyone here has made it out to be. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

idioteque
06-17-2008, 04:08 PM
Doomsday

Decent exploitation flick if that's your thing (it is mine) but don't go in there expecting an I Am Legend type movie.

I'll say one thing: the exploding rabbits were awesome.

jeffg-body
06-18-2008, 12:26 AM
The Red Dragon is what I watched yesterday.

Unclebuck
06-18-2008, 08:02 AM
Got into a advance screening of Get Smart

It was actually very good, and funny. I would recommend it, especially if you are in the mood to laugh.

I certainly liked it more than Indiana Jones or Narnia. But didn't like it quite as well as "Iron Man"

Gyron
06-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Animal House-Classics are always fun to watch, especially while hopped up on Nyquil.

DisplacedKnick
06-18-2008, 08:58 AM
The Red Dragon is what I watched yesterday.

Not sure if you're into books but the book is so much better that it's not funny.

Books are always better but with Silence of the Lambs the film captured the essence of the book. Red Dragon didn't.

idioteque
06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
"Belly"

A better, but not critically acclaimed, version of Boyz in Da Hood. By Hype Williams. Incredibly thought provoking and visually stimulating.

beaversnducks311
06-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I just watched to commentary to "Juno"...it's pretty funny and entertaining if you're into listening to commentaries...lot's of little inside jokes and tidbits that are interesting.

jeffg-body
06-19-2008, 01:26 AM
The Bourne Identity-Wife bought me the complete set for father's day.

Peck
06-20-2008, 03:23 AM
Just saw the Hulk

Much much much better than that crapfest that Ang Lee put out a few years ago.

Cool that they included the leader in this.

JayRedd
06-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Casablanca.

Yup...Still the best film ever made.

Shine A Light

This is the Scorsese documentary of a 2006 Rolling Stones show in NYC. Pretty sweet. Mainly, it's just an abridged version of the show with a little bit of old Stones interview footage and pre-show set up lead-in. There were a boatload of cameras in Beacon Theater so you get a lot of 360 angles from on-stage and it's generally just very well shot. As for the performance, it's very good and features an intro by President Clinton and guest cameos from Jack White, Christina Aguilera and Buddy Guy -- all of which are great.

DisplacedKnick
06-21-2008, 04:49 PM
The Godfather.

Another DVD-to-replace-VHS purchase for $9.99. Got it and II - hated III so I didn't get the 3-set box.

No extras on the DVD btw (haven't watched 2 yet).

campy
06-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Friday Night Lights

rock747
06-22-2008, 02:27 AM
3:10 to Yuma Really enjoyed it. Best movie i've seen in a while.

Suaveness
06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Went to see Get Smart

Absolutely hilarious. I loved every minute of it, and I probably might see it again

Peck
06-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Rescue Dawn.

Great film, lots of name actors for a film that tanked pretty hard at the box office.

I saw the documentry "Little Dieter needs to fly" several years ago and just saw that they made the story into a feature film.

Very well done.

FYI, it is the true life story of Dieter Dengler. The U.S. Navy pilot shot down over Laos, captured and escaped to freedom. The only P.O.W. to ever escape during the Vietnam War.

This is not a war film for those who are concerned, this is a film about perserverance.

If you have a blockbuster membership put this on your que for the future.

bellisimo
06-23-2008, 10:15 AM
Forbidden Kingdom

Shame that Jet Li and Jackie Chan finally team up to deliver this POS....

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Meh...a few laughs here and there...

Unclebuck
06-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Kung Fu Panda

It was OK, it looked great and the animation was outstanding. it wasn't as funny as some other similar movies. Predictable.

Natston
06-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Rescue Dawn.

Great film, lots of name actors for a film that tanked pretty hard at the box office.

I saw the documentry "Little Dieter needs to fly" several years ago and just saw that they made the story into a feature film.

Very well done.

FYI, it is the true life story of Dieter Dengler. The U.S. Navy pilot shot down over Laos, captured and escaped to freedom. The only P.O.W. to ever escape during the Vietnam War.

This is not a war film for those who are concerned, this is a film about perserverance.

I thought it was pretty good, but that was until I found out it wasn't the true story. Also the ending was absolutely horrible.

Arcadian
06-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Jumper, PS I love you, Strange Wilderness

All very poor. Other parties choose them. I have cut those relations out of my life.

Hicks
06-23-2008, 03:39 PM
Scarface.

Pretty good. Makes me sad that so many people idolize Tony, though.

JayRedd
06-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Rescue Dawn.

Very well done.

Agreed. Really well done. Although natstoned is correct about the ending being horrible. Not like the whole ending, but like the final eight minutes or so. Either way, the story of perseverance and the performances by both Christian Bale and Steve Zahn were fantastic.

When we look back at Bale's career and see that he did Batman Begins, New World, Rescue Dawn, The Prestige and 3:10 to Yuma all in a row, it's going to look mighty impressive.

It's not quite Ed Norton's Primal Fear, Larry Flynt, Rounders, American History X and Fight Club three-year run, but it's not too shabby.

travmil
06-23-2008, 04:05 PM
It's not quite Ed Norton's Primal Fear, Larry Flynt, Rounders, American History X and Fight Club three-year run, but it's not too shabby.

It is impressive, let's just hope that Bale doesn't follow this up with Death to Smoochy and Keeping the Faith. You also forgot about Everyone Says I Love You in the middle of Norton's run. It was good but I think when you factor that one in Bale's run is even more impressive.

avoidingtheclowns
06-24-2008, 12:25 AM
It is impressive, let's just hope that Bale doesn't follow this up with Death to Smoochy and Keeping the Faith. You also forgot about Everyone Says I Love You in the middle of Norton's run. It was good but I think when you factor that one in Bale's run is even more impressive.

especially if you count The Machinist -- his run is even more impressive considering what he physically went thru for each role in a matter of months.

http://oldnick.coraider.com/uploaded_images/christianbale-770999.jpg

Suaveness
06-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Plus the Dark Knight coming out, which looks to continue Batman Begins' success.

Just saw Batman Forever on tv. God that was awful

Natston
06-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Agreed. Really well done. Although natstoned is correct about the ending being horrible. Not like the whole ending, but like the final eight minutes or so.

Whatever the time was when they broke him out of A HOSPITAL to the time they did the whole MOSH PIT THINGY.. .

JayRedd
06-24-2008, 10:51 AM
You also forgot about Everyone Says I Love You in the middle of Norton's run.

If by "forgot" you mean "purposely ignored," then yes. I've actually never seen it, but figured it was bad.

Whatever the time was when they broke him out of A HOSPITAL to the time they did the whole MOSH PIT THINGY.. .

:nod:

That was all absurd.

JayRedd
06-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Also, I watched Braveheart for about the 30th time the other day.

So good.

Need to find Rob Roy now. I've heard pretty good things and really enjoy Liam Neeson so I'm pretty excited.

Gyron
06-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Cars and Shrek 3

Son was home sick yesterday, and we had no air conditioning to top it off, so we spent a portion of the day in the living room under the nice cool ceiling fan watching kids movies.

travmil
06-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Need to find Rob Roy now. I've heard pretty good things and really enjoy Liam Neeson so I'm pretty excited.

Very good movie. In fact, I think I'll try to see that one again too.

I watched Unforgiven again yesterday. For me that's one of those movies that I watch whenever I see it flipping through the channels. I immediately stop and it doesn't matter what else is on I'm wathing it. One of my favorite lines of all time is from that movie. After The Kid kills the cowboy in the outhouse, and he tells Clint Eastwood that was his first kill, he'd never killed a man before. Clint Eastwood says "Well you sure killed the hell outta that fella today".

JayRedd
06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
That, "Take a drink, Kid" and "Well, he should have armed himself if he's going to decorate his saloon with my friend" are my three favorites.

Funny thing was that when I first saw that movie, I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. But when I rewatched it, I was like "this is amazing." Now it's among my Top 50 easily and, as you say, a must watch for at least a half hour when you see it on TV.

Unclebuck
06-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Finally saw "Vantage Point" last night. I really liked it. I like that type of storytelling. Sure after it is over there are a few holes in the plot, but I was riveted while I was watching

beaversnducks311
06-28-2008, 02:52 AM
Finally saw "Vantage Point" last night. I really liked it. I like that type of storytelling. Sure after it is over there are a few holes in the plot, but I was riveted while I was watching

i really liked it too. i was surprised at how good it was. but i agree that afterwards we had a lot of unanswered questions; but it served it's purpose.

i watched "black mama, white mama" this afternoon. i love me some Pam Grier.

Bball
06-28-2008, 02:46 PM
"There Will Be Blood"

I watched the other night but decided to wait awhile before posting my thoughts on it.

Kudos to Daniel Day-Lewis. I thought his acting was superb. Unfortunately, it had to be or I'm not sure I would've made it through this whole movie. I must've missed something somewhere because I felt like I was supposed to take something away from this movie that I just never 'got'.

The pacing was slow... TYPICALLY when a good movie has a slow pace it leads to something in the end (or final act) that really ties it all together and you 'understand' the point.

Considering the good things I'd heard about this movie I was holding on for that final act when it all pulled together tightly.

Honestly,
it would've made more sense to me had someone (especially the son) killed the Daniel Day-Lewis character at the end. But it didn't go that way at all.

There was little in the way of black and white in this movie- bad guys weren't totally bad.... good guys weren't totally good. Again, that was something that I thought was leading somewhere during DDL's descent into madness.

I'm also not sure what to think of the two brothers (Paul and Eli). Were they supposed to be the same person? If so, then why at the end have DDL talking about what Paul was doing now? Why didn't we see Paul again? Why do we never see the two brothers together? Did the father ever mention the other brother when DDL first came to visit? Why have the same actor play both roles? Is THIS where I missed something?

I can recommend the movie for anyone who appreciates a fine acting performance... but I'm hesitant to recommend the movie on its own merits.

Somebody tell me what I missed.

ilive4sports
06-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Saw The Incredible Hulk the other day. I thought it was rather good. Norton did a very good job imo. Definitely go see this movie.

Suaveness
06-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Wall-E. This might be one of the best movies I've ever seen. Absolutely adorable. Go see it.

Wu-Gambino
06-28-2008, 05:59 PM
I watched Wanted last night with some friends, it was pretty preposterous. I guess I would recommend it, just turn off your brain for awhile.

JayRedd
06-29-2008, 10:44 PM
Almost Famous.

I had seen it once before, but it was years ago, I was hungover and failed to see what all the hub-bub was about.

This time, however, I thought it was pretty great and really enjoyed Kate Hudson.

Peck
06-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Get Smart.

100 x funnier than I thought it would be.

I actually figured it would be just another mindless humor, but was very very pleasantly suprised by the.

jeffg-body
06-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Today's movies were: Wedding Crashers, Shrek, Super Troopers and Unforgiven.

JayRedd
06-30-2008, 06:43 AM
Today's movies were: Wedding Crashers, Shrek, Super Troopers and Unforgiven.

What was your rank?

Gyron
06-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Caddyshack
The Bourne Supremecy
Cars-(3rd time this week. I think Elmo may have been replaced with "Cars", or at least he's losing some ground to Cars in the attention....)

SoupIsGood
07-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Punch-Drunk Love
Hellboy
Blue Velvet
Labyrinth

317Kim
07-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Wanted

avoidingtheclowns
07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
i re-watched Network this weekend... which made reading this news yesterday remarkably concerning

'Late Show' posts poor ratings
Last week tied lowest-ever among 18-49 demo

By Paul J. Gough
June 26, 2008
<TABLE class=news_col cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE>
NEW YORK -- CBS' "The Late Show With David Letterman" tied its lowest-ever adults 18-49 rating last week.

"Late Show" averaged a 0.9 rating in adults 18-49, Nielsen Media Research said. That is its lowest ever for an original since the program premiered in 1993, though not the lowest for the show: It has hit 0.9 several times, most recently in late December when it was in reruns because of the WGA strike.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ib33bedc7fa5a446998d591c3dc191261 (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ib33bedc7fa5a446998d591c3dc191261)

please don't shoot dave.

travmil
07-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Wall-E

I have no problem wahtsoever in labeling this "kids" movie a masterpiece. At the very least it's the most impressive technical achievement ever brought to the cinema. Amazing in many ways.

Peck
07-03-2008, 01:41 AM
The Other Bolyn girl. Thank God I watch "the Tudors" on Showtime or I would have had no idea what this movie was about. Big name cast with decent acting however I can see why this was a commercial flop. If you don't know the story of Henry the 8th and Ann Bolyn then this movie would be confusing and a waste of time.

10,000 b.c. Meh....It neither sucked nor was good. So in the scheme of things considering the amount of money they spent making it, it is probably a dud. If you have netflix or blockbuster online then this is worth putting in your que, but I wouldn't recommend paying money to rent it.

JayRedd
07-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Primary Colors.

Good stuff.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Why The Hell Did You Choose That Topic Again?

Pretty much. It had all the necessary qualities of a good Indy movie...It was just based around something woefully stupid. While I was watching it, I would be enjoying it mostly...but ehn every few minutes, I was just like "Wait, what? That's really dumb."

Why not just go to the pyramids or find Atlantis or something? No need to mix the archeology with the other nonsense.

Mourning
07-03-2008, 07:54 AM
"Magnolia" .. once again :).

Shade
07-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Hancock.

A good, solid movie with a little more substance than I was expecting.

Unclebuck
07-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Hancock

Very good first half of the movie, verry bad second half of the movie. Why they made some of the plot choices they did sems very strange to me

MagicRat
07-04-2008, 11:36 PM
Kit Kittredge: An American Girl

SoupIsGood
07-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Wall-E

Pretty awesome! The roboromance was touching. Honestly I'd have been OK if that was the whole movie.

Gyron
07-05-2008, 09:51 AM
Knocked up-Sucked.

Pig Nash
07-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Say what? Why?

Erik
07-05-2008, 11:17 PM
In Bruges- I bought it last night, I had to have it after seeing it at the theatre. It's very funny and entertaining, check it out.

Pig Nash
07-05-2008, 11:53 PM
In Bruges- I bought it last night, I had to have it after seeing it at the theatre. It's very funny and entertaining, check it out.

Saw it, it was pretty good.

idioteque
07-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Last movie watched: Wanted

Real reason for posting on this thread: is Hancock worth dropping 20 bucks or should I wait to got the movies until Batman comes out?

In Bruges, I've heard, is great.

Gyron
07-06-2008, 05:20 PM
Say what? Why?

Just seemed like they were trying too hard. There were some finny parts in it, but overall, just sucked I thought.

I saw Spiderman 3 last night. They tried to squeeze in too much into one movie. Felt bored at times, and then other times like they were trying to do too many things at once.

Suaveness
07-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Night at the Museum. Pretty funny

Peck
07-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Rambo.... Um, not as bad as I thought it would be. However no one will ever confuse this for one of the Lord of the Rings. I could go into my spiel about "First blood" and how that was a great movie and not just a mindless action fest but I will spare all of you. I'll just say this, Rambo is what you think it would be.

Wall-e... Here is the irony of this. I though it was ok, my wife was about the same but our two nephews ages 4 & 8 did not like it. It did not have much in the way of action or comedy so the youngest one was really getting antsy mid way through the movie and wanted it to be over.

As per norm, out of this world graphics from pixar. But I'm just not sure where this one falls in the grand scheme of things.

I'm not saying don't see it, I'm just saying if you are expecting something like other pixar films you might be dissapointed.

Stryder
07-06-2008, 11:01 PM
King of Kong: Fistfull of Quaters

Great doc. You really start to root for Weibe. And Billy Mitchell is a prick.

Shade
07-06-2008, 11:38 PM
King of Kong: Fistfull of Quaters

Great doc. You really start to root for Weibe. And Billy Mitchell is a prick.

Rumor is that Mitchell is actually a good guy IRL and the documentary was twisted to make him look like a jerk. I haven't actually seen the doc yet myself, though.

Trader Joe
07-07-2008, 12:17 AM
I saw the doc this afternoon as well, and jerk or not Mitchell just looks like a guy who is full of himself. My theory is that the reason he won't play Wiebe is that he hasn't played in like twenty years cause the video he sent in to reset the world record looks like it was probably 25 years old.

travmil
07-07-2008, 05:51 AM
I saw the doc this afternoon as well, and jerk or not Mitchell just looks like a guy who is full of himself. My theory is that the reason he won't play Wiebe is that he hasn't played in like twenty years cause the video he sent in to reset the world record looks like it was probably 25 years old.

My theory is that Mitchell has a stockpile of old videos of himself constantly breaking his own world record, so that when someone sends in one and thinks they've beaten him, he'll just drag one out that has a higher score that he hasn't submitted yet.

Trader Joe
07-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Well at the end Wiebe did break his private record.

Twes
07-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Vantage Point.

I wasn't in to it.

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 09:21 AM
The early reviews of Dark Knight are unbelievably good - they are calling it a classic.

Also watched Stop-Loss over the weekend. Not bad, but not good either.

Trader Joe
07-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm so amped for Dark Knight. I'm going to the midnight showing at the new IMAX in Noblesville.

Hicks
07-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I'm as hyped up as anyone to see The Dark Knight, but even I think proclaiming it a classic is over-the-top. I'm expecting it to be very good, and I think I'll love it, but if people who are not as "into" this type of film see it thinking they'll get a true classic, they'll be disappointed.

Unclebuck
07-07-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm as hyped up as anyone to see The Dark Knight, but even I think proclaiming it a classic is over-the-top. I'm expecting it to be very good, and I think I'll love it, but if people who are not as "into" this type of film see it thinking they'll get a true classic, they'll be disappointed.

Personally I think if this is better than the most recent Batman, then I will consider it a classic because the previous one was a borderline classic if you ask me.

A month ago I said I doubt I'll see a better movie this summer than Iron Man" - but I'm hopeful Dark Knight is better.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/

I love this paragraph (this in no way gives any details of what is in the film)

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/movie/16155928/review/21477208/the_dark_knight

No fair giving away the mysteries of The Dark Knight. It's enough to marvel at the way Nolan — a world-class filmmaker, be it Memento, Insomnia or The Prestige — brings pop escapism whisper-close to enduring art. It's enough to watch Bale chillingly render Batman as a lost warrior, evoking Al Pacino in The Godfather II in his delusion and desolation. It's enough to see Ledger conjure up the anarchy of the Sex Pistols and A Clockwork Orange as he creates a Joker for the ages. Go ahead, ***** about the movie being too long, at two and a half hours, for short attention spans (it is), too somber for the Hulk crowd (it is), too smart for its own good (it isn't). The haunting and visionary Dark Knight soars on the wings of untamed imagination. It's full of surprises you don't see coming. And just try to get it out of your dreams.

Hicks
07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I do believe it will be better than Batman Begins.

idioteque
07-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Batman Begins is just awesome.

There are a few movies I consider my personal classics: The Original Star Wars Trilogy, Good-Bye Lenin, the Godfather, the Downfall, Amelie, Batman Begins, in a couple of other films. If the Dark Knight is better than Batman Begins, then it's going to make my short list, no questions asked. And while no one else may care about my short list, it's all I care about, critics be damned.

Suaveness
07-07-2008, 11:43 PM
There's no ceiling to my excitement for this movie. This might just blow everyone's minds. I really hope Nolan does more of 'em.

Shade
07-07-2008, 11:53 PM
Nolan is awesome. I highly recommend Memento to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. And good luck finding the little easter egg hidden within the movie.

JayRedd
07-08-2008, 12:14 AM
It is not a mouth-based video game.

SoupIsGood
07-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Rent

:suicide:

N8R
07-08-2008, 03:24 AM
The Happening

It was alright. Different that other M. Night Shamalyn movies. I kinda of got most of the story from previews so that was a pain in the butt. Not great not bad just a movie. Glad I didnt pay to see it.

Natston
07-08-2008, 03:51 AM
Be Kind Rewind

Eh. It was okay, but really could have been better. I was focused way too much on the movies they filmed going in, and the back story was weak, and the non linear way the final film was presented didn't help.

Futurama: The Beast with a Billion Backs

It was decent, and you can't really go wrong with Futurama. The first movie was way better.

Wanted

It was okay until they introduced the...

loom that decided who died, and knew how to relay that info in binary code.

My biggest problem with the movie was that it could decide if it want to be based in reality or just go Matrix style. They just needed to pick one.

WALL-E

It was good, but not great. Honestly it could be one of those movies that might be better apon rewatching it years down the road. I didn't care for the use of live action shots in some spots.

N8R
07-08-2008, 04:33 AM
NatStones I like your new Avatar

MyFavMartin
07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Indiana Jones 4

Wife and I really liked it... her more so as she's got a crush on Indy.... Good thing I'm a Hoosier.

Reg31
07-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Just watched The Jacket on HBO. A little wierd, but it hooked me.

Trader Joe
07-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Well the IMAX midnight showing in Noblesville is already sold out. I don't know when it did, but I checked this afternoon and it was not there for preorder. Good thing I already have mine ;)

Mourning
07-08-2008, 06:03 PM
Just watched The Jacket on HBO. A little wierd, but it hooked me.

Yeah, I really liked it aswell. Btw Adrian Brody has been one of my favorite young actors for a while now. I thought he was great in "The Thin Red Line" as a supporting actor and in "The Pianist" as the leading actor.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

07-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

A musical just became one of my favourite movies... It was such an original / unique movie, the singing part just fit in to the atmosphere and the dark mood of the movie. Especially when Sweeney starts singing and slaughtering people and the gore with the arterial sprays were just magnificent and how about that Pie shop downstairs? :devil:

And the ending was great, impossible to predict!

Airplane! (1980)

Cant believe i missed on this classic comedy movie, it was hilarious!

317Kim
07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Hancock ^_^

juadam09
07-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I just finished Sweeny Todd as well. I didn't know the story (a shame to admit being a theater major) but I just really did not care for the story. Then again, I am not a huge fan of musicals.

I also just saw Hancock. I really liked it (and the twist in the movie) but I like most everything that Will Smith does

SoupIsGood
07-08-2008, 06:58 PM
I loved Sweeney Todd. That song where he is slittin' throats while singing about Joanna was incredible. It is one of my favorites, too.

Suaveness
07-08-2008, 09:55 PM
Sweeney Todd was quite the enjoyable movie

N8R
07-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Hancock

I liked it.

Peck
07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Maverick. Watched this film again last night. A classic

Naptown_Seth
07-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Sweeny Todd was a pretty strong musical. It's nice to see so many good efforts in this genre lately.

Wanted - fun enough but painfully tied to the influences of Matrix and Fight Club, but in story and style.

Wall-E - long for some but often brilliant filmmaking and animation. The robots dancing through space comes to mind.

I've been pouring through tons of HD-DVDs that I got on the cheap and quickly backlogged into huge stacks. Fletch, Billy Madison, Animal House, Memento (Blu), BS Dracula (Blu) all come to mind but I'm forgetting several others. Yay HD content.

Peck, I also love Maverick. I think it's a bit underappreciated for it's balance between silly and serious enough to be fun.

JayRedd
07-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Maverick is fantastic.

McClintic Sphere
07-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Anybody amped for Hellboy II? To me nobody outside of maybe Joss Whedon can make monster/fantasy movies grounded in character development and methaphorically interesting like Guillermo Del Toro.

Hicks
07-09-2008, 02:16 PM
I'm not amped for it as Hellboy I didn't do a lot for me, but I've heard this one getting a lot more positive buzz than the first one. And I didn't hate the first one by any means, I just thought it was so-so. Given all of that, I hope to check it out.

McClintic Sphere
07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
The first Hellboy suffered somewhat from Studio homogenizing. The Myers character being case in point. By winning three Oscars with Pan's Labyrinth, Del Toro gained a lot of liberty to fully create the picture he wanted in the first place and hopefully this one will blend the best of his Spanish language films like Pan's, Cronos and Devil's Backbone with the best of his Hollywood flicks (Mimic, Blade II, Hellboy).

Ball State Alum Doug Jones plays three characters in HB2.

SoupIsGood
07-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Agreed, I'm really excited about this one since it seems like GDT's got more control this time. You could really tell where someone other than Del Toro stepped in and ****tified things up in the first one.

Natston
07-09-2008, 05:08 PM
NatStones I like your new Avatar

Domo arigato, Mr. Newman8r

317Kim
07-09-2008, 07:56 PM
I also just saw Hancock. I really liked it (and the twist in the movie) but I like most everything that Will Smith does

Oh, that was definitely unexpected.

I've been a sucker for Will Smith ever since his Fresh Prince days. I was glad to see that he survived unlike in I Am Legend.

travmil
07-09-2008, 08:38 PM
deleted spoiler from somsone else's post :(

317Kim
07-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Whoops. Thanks.

I'll fix it.

juadam09
07-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh, that was definitely unexpected.

I've been a sucker for Will Smith ever since his Fresh Prince days. I was glad to see that he survived unlike in I Am Legend.

Yeah, they could have had them as brother and sister instead of husband and wife but either way I thought it was good to have that twist. It was a bit weird the way they choose to write it but even though some critics didnt like it (I dont think I have made a decision about a movie yet based off the critics) so far its doing very well in the box office.

317Kim
07-09-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah, they could have had them as brother and sister instead of husband and wife but either way I thought it was good to have that twist. It was a bit weird the way they choose to write it but even though some critics didnt like it (I dont think I have made a decision about a movie yet based off the critics) so far its doing very well in the box office.

I don't take what critics say to heart until I've actually seen the movie myself.

Did you notice that He had nice teeth and nails for a homeless man? :-p Also, how it got hot everytime she was infuriated?

JayRedd
07-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Might want to learn to use the spoiler tags for those that havn't seen either movie...

This reminds me of rain on your wedding day.

juadam09
07-09-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't take what critics say to heart until I've actually seen the movie myself.

Did you notice that He had nice teeth and nails for a homeless man? :-p Also, how it got hot everytime she was infuriated?

Yeah I noticed that. The heat thing was written in, kinda weird about the other thing but I think that was supposed to add to his ora as a "superhero".

317Kim
07-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Yeah I noticed that. The heat thing was written in, kinda weird about the other thing but I think that was supposed to add to his ora as a "superhero".

I suppose so.

She really reminded me of Storm from X-men though.

Peck
07-10-2008, 03:35 AM
Just watched King of Kong.

Very entertaining, I love the extra features on the DVD.

The Mr. Awesome video package is priceless.

Ownagedood
07-10-2008, 11:29 AM
I just watched The Pink Panther for the first time last night.. We own the DVD, I just never got around to watching it till last night..

JayRedd
07-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Live Free or Die Hard

I really liked it.

The way McClane handles the final scene might be the most badass move ever.

Ownagedood
07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Live Free or Die Hard

I really liked it.

The way McClane handles the final scene might be the most badass move ever.
Ya, that was a sweet movie..

I think I might have to watch it again now..

juadam09
07-10-2008, 06:36 PM
The Bucket List

Trader Joe
07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Picked up Batman Begins in Blu Ray and after downloading the latest Blu Ray firmware update, I'm about to watch it. Lots of sweet extras so far.

Stryder
07-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Just watched King of Kong.

Very entertaining, I love the extra features on the DVD.

The Mr. Awesome video package is priceless.

Yes, it was very entertaining...and yeah, Mr. Awesome was uhhh...priceless...

I recommend this doc. for anyone that has ever had any interest in video games.

McClintic Sphere
07-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Hellboy II. Outstanding. Great practical effects and memorable characters. I will see this one again very soon.

It is a visual feast but the effects never overwhelm the emotional center of the film like a lot of 'blockbuster' type films tend to do.

JayRedd
07-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Ya, that was a sweet movie..

I think I might have to watch it again now..

I just did and adjusted my IMDB rating to a 10.

I now think Die Hard is the best series ever. I, III and IV are all amazing. Star Warses, Rockys and LOTRs are close, but I'm going with Mr. Yippee Ki-Yay.

Suaveness
07-12-2008, 01:37 AM
Casino Royale. That's because you know what I can do with my little pinkie.

SoupIsGood
07-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Hellboy2.

"You woke up the baby!"

duke dynamite
07-12-2008, 12:35 PM
The Brothers Solomon

pacers08
07-12-2008, 07:23 PM
meet the browns

Stryder
07-13-2008, 09:56 AM
Live Free or Die hard

Good! Very entertaining. I'll echo all of JayRedd's sentiments.

idioteque
07-13-2008, 11:08 AM
So I'm dedicating my days off next week to movies. Tuesday it's gonna be Wall-E, and Sunday it will be Dark Knight (if I can get in!)

If Hellboy II is really good and Hancock is good (haven't seen either), and Wall-E, Wanted, and Dark Knight are all good, then I think it's hard to say this was a terrible summer for movies.

btowncolt
07-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Wall-E.

rexnom
07-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Wall-E.

Jesus. I kept falling asleep. And I had just downed a huge Haagen-Dazs Belgian Chocolate Shake. I was not crazy about this movie, let's just leave it at that.

btowncolt
07-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Wall-E.

Jesus. I kept falling asleep. And I had just downed a huge Haagen-Dazs Belgian Chocolate Shake. I was not crazy about this movie, let's just leave it at that.

You see it last night? Which theater?

idioteque
07-13-2008, 03:23 PM
If he had the Haagen Dazs (Maggie Moos or even Ben & Jerrys is far superior) it was in Chinatown for sure.

Or maybe I am a st@lker.

Suaveness
07-13-2008, 03:34 PM
I feel like I need to go see Wall E again...

Transformers

And I got tix for a midnight showing of Dark Knight...woo

avoidingtheclowns
07-13-2008, 03:47 PM
If he had the Haagen Dazs (Maggie Moos or even Ben & Jerrys is far superior) it was in Chinatown for sure.

Or maybe I am a st@lker.

there's one near the georgetown theater - but it was probably gallery place.

and without a doubt, go for Gifford's (http://www.giffords.com/) next to the E St. Landmark

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2351369990_0e4e23013e.jpg?v=0

juadam09
07-13-2008, 06:08 PM
Get Smart.

Loved it

rexnom
07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
It was Gallery Place (the old Tapas-Ice Cream-Movie trifecta)...and you guys are insane. HD is clearly the best.

AesopRockOn
07-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Wall-E - Absolutely perfect set-up (I don't know what to say to the people who beg for more dialogue) then a kind of contrived yet heartful second act followed by a fine finish. ****ing Pixar.

Hancock - Inexplicable.

ajbry
07-14-2008, 01:42 AM
The Happening.

I wish I had just stared at a bare wall for an hour and a half. Probably would've been more entertained and would've learned more.

N8R
07-14-2008, 02:51 AM
The Love Guru

Not great not totally terrible. Very predictable and too easy.

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 08:51 AM
It was Gallery Place (the old Tapas-Ice Cream-Movie trifecta)...and you guys are insane. HD is clearly the best.

I saw Wall-E in Gallery Place on Saturday as well. 10:10pm showing?

SycamoreKen
07-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Untraceable.

Interesting concept and story. Could have done without the "Why did they do that!?!" moment, but it didn't ruin the movie.

rexnom
07-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I saw Wall-E in Gallery Place on Saturday as well. 10:10pm showing?
I actually went on Friday (I don't always know what day it is)...7:40 showing...Btown, are you trying to seduce me?

SycamoreKen
07-14-2008, 09:24 AM
He's trying to refill that empty basement.

idioteque
07-14-2008, 09:47 AM
I will be seeing a 7pm or so showing of Wall-E tommorrow at the Silver Spring theater if b-town wants to stalk.

So that Tapas place is good? I shall try it out next time I go to the Gallery Place theater (Sunday)

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Did you get tapas at La Tasca? I don't much like their food but the half-priced sangria pitchers for happy hour are delicious.

idioteque
07-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Man, there is a large PD presence in Chinatown.

Even though I actually live in Mt. Pleasant (believe me, there's not that much pleasant about it sometimes).

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Gonna be watching Gotham Knight tonight.

rexnom
07-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Did you get tapas at La Tasca? I don't much like their food but the half-priced sangria pitchers for happy hour are delicious.
I did go to La Tasca. The tapas were eh - like most gallery place food, it was flashy and pricey without much substance. The paella and sangria were fantastic, however.

Btown, you're in Boston, right? Have you ever been to Tapeo on Newbury? Though pricey, I really like their tapas and the environment is fantastic.

EDIT: I live close to Gallery Place so I tend to walk there a lot. However, the Silver Spring theatre is fairly nice too - even though it's in SS ;).

idioteque
07-14-2008, 10:20 AM
I did go to La Tasca. The tapas were eh - like most gallery place food, it was flashy and pricey without much substance. The paella and sangria were fantastic, however.

Btown, you're in Boston, right? Have you ever been to Tapeo on Newbury? Though pricey, I really like their tapas and the environment is fantastic.

EDIT: I live close to Gallery Place so I tend to walk there a lot. However, the Silver Spring theatre is fairly nice too - even though it's in SS ;).

Yeah, the SS theatre is okay but I don't think it holds a candle to the Chinatown theater in terms of being nice. Both theaters however, seem to be populated with loud young kids ALL THE TIME although for some reason they either dramatically change their noise level during the movie itself or they just never wind up seeing what I am seeing.

My lady works in SS so we end up meeting up at that theater sometimes, but I know this weekend we will go to Gallery Place b/c we live way closer to that which is good because I like that theater much better.

You said the food is meh? How DARE you slander Chipotle?

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Man, there is a large PD presence in Chinatown.

Even though I actually live in Mt. Pleasant (believe me, there's not that much pleasant about it sometimes).

la tasca is okay, not great. if you want Mediterranean tapas/mezze go around the corner to zaytinya (http://www.zaytinya.com/).

where in mt. pleasant? i looked at a house over there when i first moved to dc and it seemed okay. significantly better than the place on georgia i looked at across from walter reed.

rexnom
07-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Yeah, the SS theatre is okay but I don't think it holds a candle to the Chinatown theater in terms of being nice. Both theaters however, seem to be populated with loud young kids ALL THE TIME although for some reason they either dramatically change their noise level during the movie itself or they just never wind up seeing what I am seeing.

My lady works in SS so we end up meeting up at that theater sometimes, but I know this weekend we will go to Gallery Place b/c we live way closer to that which is good because I like that theater much better.

You said the food is meh? How DARE you slander Chipotle?
Yeah...I almost punched three five year olds during Wall-E. I'm done seeing movies before ten.

Gallery Place is easily my favorite theatre. The atmosphere there is great. Hopefully it'll be kickass during Dark Knight this weekend.

Chipotle needs to get off of my back. I much prefer Fuddruckers if I'm going upscale fastfood in Chinatown, thank you.

la tasca is okay, not great. if you want Mediterranean tapas/mezze go around the corner to zaytinya (http://www.zaytinya.com/).

where in mt. pleasant? i looked at a house over there when i first moved to dc and it seemed okay. significantly better than the place on georgia i looked at across from walter reed.
Zaytinya is good. Their Ouzo is fantastic and their mezze are good (though not amazing) but a bit pricey. My favorite mezze place is either Meze in Adams-Morgan (Turkish) or Neyla in Georgetown (Lebanese). Zaytinya is by far the best in terms of lounge-bar setting, however - I went there with a big group of people for my birthday recently and it was an absolute blast.

idioteque
07-14-2008, 10:31 AM

Oh it is way better than Georgia. I used to have to walk on Georgia around Howard University all the time and let me say this- if I had kids I wouldn't want them walking on Georgia at night in that area. I saw some really weird **** there and had more than a couple conversations that I thought would end in muggings. And I know a girl that graduated from Howard who says its a hell of a lot better now than it was when she was a freshman (she's a year older than me).

Mt. Pleasant/Columbia Heights is generally good, it just gets annoying at like 7am in Sunday mornings because there is some sort of free breakfast place set up for homeless people there and they are always yelling and arguing about God knows what, making it impossible for me to sleep. I have too much of a heart to ***** about it to the organizers though.

I live like 3 blocks away from that new Target by the Columbia Heights Metro. You just have to take Irving St. up a few blocks, in between that Station and the Zoological Park.

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I much prefer Fuddruckers if I'm going upscale fastfood in Chinatown, thank you.

over five guys? really? you can't beat the feeling of your arteries clogging with every delicious bite (for west coasters think In-n-Out burger.)

and if you want to avoid kids i suggest going to non-pixar movies. just a thought.

Unclebuck
07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Watched 21 it was OK, I sort of thought it would be a little better

idioteque
07-14-2008, 10:35 AM
over five guys? really? you can't beat the feeling of your arteries clogging with every delicious bite (for west coasters think In-n-Out burger.)

and if you want to avoid kids i suggest going to non-pixar movies. just a thought.

That new Five Guys in CH is a godsend. The only time I've ever been able to eat a whole serving of Five Guys fries was when I was completely obliterated during a Nats game, and even then I think I gave a few away to some Cubs fans sitting by me.

I've actually never had Fuddruckers. Is it a burger sort of place, same idea?

idioteque
07-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Watched 21 it was OK, I sort of thought it would be a little better

My grandparents said that movie was so boring they walked out on it. And this is coming from people who go to Vegas like 3 or 4 times a year. I must have been to 200 movies with them growing up and I don't ever remember them walking out on anything.

idioteque
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Yeah...I almost punched three five year olds during Wall-E. I'm done seeing movies before ten.

Gallery Place is easily my favorite theatre. The atmosphere there is great. Hopefully it'll be kickass during Dark Knight this weekend.

Chipotle needs to get off of my back. I much prefer Fuddruckers if I'm going upscale fastfood in Chinatown, thank you.

Zaytinya is good. Their Ouzo is fantastic and their mezze are good (though not amazing) but a bit pricey. My favorite mezze place is either Meze in Adams-Morgan (Turkish) or Neyla in Georgetown (Lebanese). Zaytinya is by far the best in terms of lounge-bar setting, however - I went there with a big group of people for my birthday recently and it was an absolute blast.

Neyla is really good. I went on a first date with a now ex a looong time ago and while the food was really good but they had, from what I remember, no vegetarian food almost. And I didn't know the girl was a vegetarian. That was kind of embarassing.

I will try Zaytinya next. I actually have never had Ouzo except when I was in Greece and it was great, will I be disappointed with this American stuff? FWIW that stuff I had in Greece was cheap as hell, I bought it off some guy on the street.

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
That new Five Guys in CH is a godsend. The only time I've ever been able to eat a whole serving of Five Guys fries was when I was completely obliterated during a Nats game, and even then I think I gave a few away to some Cubs fans sitting by me.

I've actually never had Fuddruckers. Is it a burger sort of place, same idea?

if you're looking for different burgers fuddruckers can hook you up (like buffalo, turkey, salmon, ostrich, kobe beef, etc.) but they're frozen patties, etc etc. fuddruckers isn't bad in the grand scheme of things but i don't think it holds a candle to five guys.

rexnom
07-14-2008, 10:51 AM
Neyla is really good. I went on a first date with a now ex a looong time ago and while the food was really good but they had, from what I remember, no vegetarian food almost. And I didn't know the girl was a vegetarian. That was kind of embarassing.

I will try Zaytinya next. I actually have never had Ouzo except when I was in Greece and it was great, will I be disappointed with this American stuff? FWIW that stuff I had in Greece was cheap as hell, I bought it off some guy on the street.
Zaytinya has their own stuff and then they have different flavors (which I've never heard of before). I'm Greek, I've had good and bad Ouzo before, and I wasn't disappointed.

As for Five Guys, I haven't had that in a looooong time. I'm going to have to go there next time I want to gorge.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Five Guys is the ****. Really good food, plus the last time I went there they gave us our food for free and a whole bag of fries for each of us cause we walked in as they were closing and they had already shut the registers down. I thought they might be a-holes since we were walking in so late, but they were really cool about it and the burgers were delicious.

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Whoops. I thought I clicked on the movie thread but turns out I must have hit "The Listen to Three Idiots Babble on About DC Thread" instead.

My bad. Carry on.

idioteque
07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Whoops. I thought I clicked on the movie thread but turns out I must have hit "The Listen to Three Idiots Babble on About DC Thread" instead.

My bad. Carry on.

There's a great place in the Trinidad neighborhood for you to trade in all youe dusty Confederate Army memorabilia stuff for cold, hard, cash. Just remember that generally prefer you to wear your gear when you come into the store.

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Seriously?

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 11:57 AM

My bad. Carry on.

your jealousy is remarkably unbecoming.

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Indeed. Me and my friends often sit around lamenting the fact that we don't live in a city full of painfully career-driven twenty-somethings with no nightlife or good bars.

* aside from The Brickskeller

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 12:20 PM
I have not been to Tapeo. Newbury is out of my price range as a whole.

Zaytinya is good. I went there for dinner intending to spend $60 and spend $130 (not my money, so not contradicting the above money complaint).

Haven't been to Five Guys in two years. Vegetarian now, but Five Guys was delicious the last time I went there. In 2005.

JayRedd is a ninny.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 12:35 PM
I have not been to Tapeo. Newbury is out of my price range as a whole.

Zaytinya is good. I went there for dinner intending to spend $60 and spend $130 (not my money, so not contradicting the above money complaint).

Haven't been to Five Guys in two years. Vegetarian now, but Five Guys was delicious the last time I went there. In 2005.

JayRedd is a ninny.

The Brebeuf education really was hard on you wasn't it?

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Not sure what you're going for there - didn't the Jesuits make you pound down so much meat that you can't look at a sausage the same way anymore too?

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Not sure what you're going for there - didn't the Jesuits make you pound down so much meat that you can't look at a sausage the same way anymore too?

:eek::-o

I don't know whether to laugh or feel offended or both. Kudos to you dear sir to cross that line. Either way it got a chuckle from me.

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
No need to be offended - a former teacher and former coach I had there are now registered sex offenders.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 01:30 PM
No need to be offended - a former teacher and former coach I had there are now registered sex offenders.

Swim coach?

Charles Fanara got arrested for assault with bodily waste in Zionsville. I don't know if you had him at all while you were there. I had him for freshman english.

Gyron
07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Assult with Bodily Waste.....Wow, Now there's a charge I hadn't even heard of, much less thought it existed.

They always say there's a "reason" for them to make a certain offense into a criminal law.

Let me guess, it was orginally named Spicoli's Law?

D23
07-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I went and watched Wall-e this weekend. Pretty funny actually. No comments about "dude status" please :D

Spicoli
07-14-2008, 01:42 PM
You haven't lived until you've flung feces like a monkey at random unsuspecting passers-by.

Just my opinion.

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 01:57 PM
BIG CHUCK FANARA THREW POO AT SOMEONE?

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 02:36 PM
BIG CHUCK FANARA THREW POO AT SOMEONE?

I've heard different versions.

The most repeated ones being that he urinated or spat on a police officer when he was drunk one night. The shortened police report was in the papers when it happened and it said he was arrested for public intoxication and assault with bodily waste.

EDIT: Actually does urine or salive count as bodily waste? If not then yes he was flinging poo.

Gyron
07-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Tha reminds me of an old thread we had describing book names....

Something like "Brown walls by Who Flung Poo"

Anyone remember that thread?

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 03:06 PM
This rumor will spread like wildfire amongst the people from that high school I still talk to - all one of them.

Gyron
07-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Poo flinging does tend to spread quickly.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 03:12 PM
This rumor will spread like wildfire amongst the people from that high school I still talk to - all one of them.

I mean its not a rumor. He was arrested on those charges. I'm just not sure why.

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
WELL SOMEONE IS GOING TO HEAR ABOUT HOW CHUCK FANARA THREW POO AT ONE OF THE JESUITS AND THEN STOLE A BABY.

Gyron
07-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Just an attempt to get back on track, I watched Caddyshack this weekend.

And Legally Blonde.....And the whole time all I pictured was Btown playing the role of Reese Witherspoon.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 03:19 PM
I can't wait til it makes its way back to me.

Anyways, first few negative reviews are starting to come for TDK, main complaint, its too dark. Who would have thunk it?

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2008, 03:31 PM
over the last two weeks i watched Lonesome Jim (like garden state, except with a mention of ice skating at glenbrook mall in ft. wayne), 2001 (still amazing) and Rushmore (still not wes anderson's finest moment.)

Spicoli
07-14-2008, 03:38 PM
They need to get Caddyshack out on Blu-ray.

Pronto.

Oh and the last movie I watched? Part of Mission Impossible 2 on TNT. I did not put a bullet in my head although I considered it.

btowncolt
07-14-2008, 03:47 PM
I modeled my admission tape on RW's.

Got me into all the top schools anyone could want to go to - and I had to go pick THIS law school. I'm a ******* idiot.

JayRedd
07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Spike hjad a marathon o' testoterone on Saturday and I caught both First Blood and Predator.

I hadn't seen First Blood since I was a kid. It's not very good.

Predator, on the other hand, continues to have the most bad-*** cast since The Dirty Dozen. The Governator, Apollo Creed and Jesse The Body? Unbelievable. Although, the special effects...well, let's just say they haven't stood the test of time.

idioteque
07-14-2008, 03:54 PM

Anyways, first few negative reviews are starting to come for TDK, main complaint, its too dark. Who would have thunk it?

It's at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. I hate the critics generally but I am glad it was well recieved.

Twes
07-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Born Identity Part 3

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 05:04 PM
It's at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. I hate the critics generally but I am glad it was well recieved.

Its at 87% now. 3 negative reviews out of the first 23. One of the negative reviewers calls Ledger's performance as the Joker similar to a young Marlon Brando and then gave it a rotten. So needless to say the negative reviewers aren't making much sense.

Hicks
07-14-2008, 06:04 PM

Send them a DVD of Batman Forever or Batman & Robin. Then make them watch TDK again. These are the same kind of people as the parents who will whine and complain after taking little Billy to the Batman movie and wondering why it was so dark or why maybe little Billy started crying.

SoupIsGood
07-14-2008, 06:14 PM
You guys should start a dark knight thread... I can't wait to see it.

Trader Joe
07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
You guys should start a dark knight thread... I can't wait to see it.

Done.

Unclebuck
07-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Its at 87% now. 3 negative reviews out of the first 23. One of the negative reviewers calls Ledger's performance as the Joker similar to a young Marlon Brando and then gave it a rotten. So needless to say the negative reviewers aren't making much sense.

One thing to keep in mind about those Rotten Tomatoes ratings. They don't rate to what degree the critics like a movie. If a critic recommends the movie and thinks it is good it gets the same rating as if the critic thinks it is the best movie ever made. So the % can be a little deceiving. I mention that because if you read some of the reviews most are claiming the movie is great, not just good or even very good

Trader Joe
07-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I understand that UB.

Peck
07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Hellboy 2.

Meh, good looking movie with great style. However I just felt like I had eaten cotten candy when it was over.

In other words it looked good, seemed like fun but at the end just wasn't very fullfilling. I thought that the characters lacked something on this one.

Although I can't get that damn Manillow song out of my head though.

idioteque
07-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Wall-E

I don't know, it was decent and I liked it but I wasn't blown away by it like some people were. Honestly the movie was made for adults just as much as it was made for kids. I like the message it was trying to convey and I wonder how that is playing out in the heartland. Our some parents not letting their kids see it? For Pixar/Disney to release a kids movie with little dialog in this day and age is incredibly ballsy.

I don't even think Disney makes regular animated films these days, which is kind of a shame.

Bball
07-16-2008, 11:01 AM
"The Secret War of Charlie Wilson"

I wasn't exactly blown away by it but it was a solid movie. At roughly 90mins in length it tells its story and puts it all to bed in short order.

Shade
07-17-2008, 05:05 AM
I saw two movies today I've really wanted to see.

First was Wanted. A bit different from the graphic novel, but still very good. 8/10

The other was The Dark Knight. You can read my short review on the TDK thread, but in a nutshell, it's the best Batman movie ever. 9/10

heywoode
07-17-2008, 08:14 AM
I saw Wanted on Tuesday evening. I didn't know it was a graphic novel, but I'll be acquiring it now.

I thought the movie got WAAAY far fetched, but I knew it was going to be that way going into it. I'm never disappointed when I have that mindset from the beginning. It was absolute adrenaline pumping entertainment. I LOVED it. This is one to own on DVD, and even the 55 inch HD with Dolby 5.1 won't do it justice. Glad I caught it on the big screen. This movie is MADE for the big screen. Wish I could've seen it in IMAX.

I thought the characters were strong. The new kid in the main character role was great from beginning to end. I thought he got his confidence a little too quickly, and it was a little of a stretch to think he was that good that fast. I don't see how anyone wouldn't like seeing his beyatch of a boss get what she had coming. I would've liked to have seen his whore of a girlfriend get a little more payback though...Morgan Freeman was fantastic, and it was great to hear him use some Samuel L. Jackson language. His role could've been played by Sam, but I like that it went to Morgan instead. Angelina Jolie was, as always, stunning. She is fire-hot, and her character seemed written for her. I can imagine no other actor playing that role. That is impressive.
Special effects were Matrix-like groundbreaking. Unfortunately, after everyone was stunned by The Matrix, when the bar is raised significantly, it isn't as much of a surprise any longer. It still should be. Fantastic cinematography. I loved the film angles, and I loved the feel of the movie. Movies based on graphic novels are usually shot very well because they are trying to capture the essence of the graphic novel. This movie succeeds.

I give it a 9/10.