PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

sweabs
01-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Atonement.

Honestly, I wasn't really excited to watch this one beforehand. But I thought it turned out to be a good movie. I loved the way in which it was told. There were some interesting techniques used throughout the film. And by the end, you fully realize what a sad and tragic story it is.

Bball
01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
"Failure to Launch"

Formula movie from start to finish. It's get my- "I wouldn't plan an evening around it but for just a random movie to watch to kill a couple of hours you could do worse" rating.

Maybe it was low expectations, but I thought Terry Bradshaw did a good job and I have no idea how someone envisions Terry Bradshaw for the role to begin with. ...But I thought it worked.

Be forewarned, get your popcorn eaten early before Bradshaw gets his naked room! ;)

-Bball

Natston
01-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Breach

It was okay, but it seemed like it should've been better somehow...

Unclebuck
01-21-2008, 12:56 AM
I saw the "Great Debaters" it was OK, too predictable.

Mourning
01-21-2008, 02:57 AM
Finally saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night.

Incredibly well-made and really thought-provoking. The story is rather interesting and a timeless subject (basically, the inseparable connection between love and pain), but it's really one of those movies that's acutely personal, as it makes constant reference to recalling memories and failed/great relationships.

Jim Carrey was very good. So was Kate Winslet to a lesser degree. And, heck, I even enjoyed a Kirsten Dunst performance for maybe the first time in my life.

The way the story is displayed/directed/shot/whatever is rather unconventional and non-sequential...so you might not like it if you're a stickler for conventional narrative. Some also complain that it's confusing and ends ambiguously.

I really like "Eternall Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" aswell. Original storyline and I liked the acting and humour.

kester99
01-21-2008, 04:03 AM
Way behind, as usual. Saw Smokin' Aces on HBO.

Not since Keanu Reeves in Dracula have we heard a more bizarre supposedly southern (?) accent -- thank you Andy Garcia.

Other than that, it had loads of two of the Big Three...wise-crackin' toughies, and plentiful mayhem.

And there was a plot, I think.

sweabs
01-21-2008, 04:23 AM
No Country for Old Men.

Awesome movie. It was fun to watch - but the ending leaves you thinking about the bigger picture. I liked the unconventional ending.

The dude playing Chigurh was awesome. Played it perfectly.

N8R
01-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Good Luck Chuck

Very predictable. Had its moments of funny but overall a very typical romantic comedy. Didn't even get any Jessica Alba nudity which I already knew but I mean so many other girls were naked in this movie. Got to see a 3 boobed woman.

sweabs
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Munich.

Very sad.

ajbry
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Munich.

Very sad.

And very underrated.

sweabs
01-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

JayRedd did a good job summing this one up. It was really unlike any movie I've seen - and I thoroughly enjoyed the way in which the story was told. Thought-provoking, as JayRedd already stated, is the best way to describe it. Some great messages in the movie.

Mourning
01-22-2008, 01:50 PM
And very underrated.

"Munich" is good. Anyone read the book on which it is based?

Unclebuck
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Oscar Noms

Atonement
Juno
Michael Clayton
No Country for Old Men
There will be Blood.

I have seen three of those and it is a tough call between No Country for Old Men and Juno. Both are very good. I suppose I would pick No Country for Old Men - just because it was more memorable - But Juno was really good. (I also saw Michael Clayton)

I wish Zodiac and The Lookout were also being considered - they deserve to be IMO.

sweabs
01-22-2008, 02:17 PM
I have seen 3 of those as well (Atonement, Juno, & No Country For Old Men).

Out of those, I liked No Country For Old Men the best...but I thought Atonement was very unique and quite sad. The way in which the story was told was very different.

Gyron
01-22-2008, 02:19 PM
Finally worked up the courage to watch United 93.

I thought I'd be ready to watch it. But I guess I wasn't...or I guess this is just the reaction most people get. Because I haven't shed tears from watching a movie in a long time.

I went through so many different stages during the movie. For about the first 20 minutes, I kept telling myself to turn it off. That way I wouldn't have to see.

For about the next hour, I was stressed. I have no other way of putting it...sounds weird - being stressed during a movie. But it was painful to watch. I knew what was going to happen - but I kept hoping it would turn out different.

For the last part, I was just done. I don't know - I can't imagine everything going through the people's heads. I can't imagine that situation. But it happened. From the chaos on ground and in air-traffic centres, to the chaos on the plane...and the communication problems on the ground and on the plane. I couldn't imagine. It offends me when people say that 9/11 was a conspiracy.

God Bless all those who lost their lives on 9/11/01.

I made the mistake of watching this the night before I got on a plane from Dallas to Charlotte. The entire flight I kept watching the other passengers, and looking around. Kinda freaked me out.

And yes, it was rough for me to watch too knowing what was coming......

Have you seen the Nicolas Cage movie about 9/11? I think it was called World Trade Center.....The end of that movie had the tears welling up in my eyes.....

Unclebuck
01-22-2008, 02:22 PM
I usually try and see all the Oscar noms for best picture, unless one of the noms just seems like somehting I really, really wouldn't like. Not the case this year, so I will see all five,

Gyron
01-22-2008, 02:23 PM
"Failure to Launch"

Formula movie from start to finish. It's get my- "I wouldn't plan an evening around it but for just a random movie to watch to kill a couple of hours you could do worse" rating.

Maybe it was low expectations, but I thought Terry Bradshaw did a good job and I have no idea how someone envisions Terry Bradshaw for the role to begin with. ...But I thought it worked.

Be forewarned, get your popcorn eaten early before Bradshaw gets his naked room! ;)

-Bball

VEry same thoughts on this one, but I laughed my *** off when they got to the Naked room scene. And I thought Terry did a good job in the role.

Hoop
01-23-2008, 02:11 AM
I'm pulling for the underdog JUNO to win an Oscar. That movie just really touched me for some reason, I loved all the characters. I thought everyone played their part to perfection.

No Country for Old Men, I thought it was very good. But....
Halfway through the movie, up till right after he left the hospital in Mexico, I thought "man this movie is awesome". I just didn't care for the second half and the ending. Not just because the bad guy gets away, I have no problem with that. I just thought the 2nd half was jumbled together, felt cheated that you totally miss the climax of Chigurh vs Llewelyn. Chigurh was a most rememberable bad guy though.

Haven't seen the other nominees yet.

Unclebuck
01-23-2008, 06:03 AM
I'm pulling for the underdog JUNO to win an Oscar. That movie just really touched me for some reason, I loved all the characters. I thought everyone played their part to perfection.

No Country for Old Men, I thought it was very good. But....
Halfway through the movie, up till right after he left the hospital in Mexico, I thought "man this movie is awesome". I just didn't care for the second half and the ending. Not just because the bad guy gets away, I have no problem with that. I just thought the 2nd half was jumbled together, felt cheated that you totally miss the climax of Chigurh vs Llewelyn. Chigurh was a most rememberable bad guy though.

Haven't seen the other nominees yet.

I liked Juno very much - unlike the other movies I've seen this year, Juno touched my heart. It was one of those movies where I wanted to know what happened to the characters after the movie ended. And I am soooo happy that Juno herself was nominated - for best actress. She was great in that role. I will buy the DVD for sure and it will be he type of movie I'll watch again and again.

However, I don't know how much of an underdog "Juno" is - It has made almost as much money as the other 4 nominees combined. It has turned into a word of mouth hit.

avoidingtheclowns
01-23-2008, 11:06 AM
I liked Juno very much - unlike the other movies I've seen this year, Juno touched my heart. It was one of those movies where I wanted to know what happened to the characters after the movie ended. And I am soooo happy that Juno herself was nominated - for best actress. She was great in that role. I will buy the DVD for sure and it will be he type of movie I'll watch again and again.

However, I don't know how much of an underdog "Juno" is - It has made almost as much money as the other 4 nominees combined. It has turned into a word of mouth hit.

any comedy in oscar talks is an underdog. my guess is that of the bunch it could win best original screenplay.

AesopRockOn
01-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Juno's an underdog because two of the best films (NCFOM and TWBB) ever made by two of most capable writer/director(s) my generation knows. Eastern Promises and 3:10 are better FILMS than Juno; there are others I don't feel like thinking of right now. You can say Juno touched your heart and "Gilmore Girls" (someone else's description, not mine) dialogue was entrancing but the fact of the matter is that acting, direction, production, setting, editing, cinematography, and base writing is what matters. Juno had maybe 1.5 of those things. No Country deserves it simply because it is the Coen's first masterpiece in a while; Blood simply didn't have the writing or the unique styling of Boogie Nights or Magnolia. Think about it: who's talking about Little Miss Sunshine anymore? Best Picture should be about what's going to have an impact. Juno winning, which it certainly won't though they'll probably give it BOS since both the aforementioned pieces were adaptations, would be like what happened in 1980. We're talking best, not favorite.

All that said, the Academy Awards are bull****.

N8R
01-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Juno

Great movie.

bellisimo
01-24-2008, 07:41 AM
3:10 to Yuma

It was very good. Well done by Bale and Crowe.

Mourning
01-24-2008, 08:33 AM
"First Snow" with Guy Pearce. I thought it was nice. Nothing superb, but definitely watchable IMO.

Unclebuck
01-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Juno's an underdog because two of the best films (NCFOM and TWBB) ever made by two of most capable writer/director(s) my generation knows. Eastern Promises and 3:10 are better FILMS than Juno; there are others I don't feel like thinking of right now. You can say Juno touched your heart and "Gilmore Girls" (someone else's description, not mine) dialogue was entrancing but the fact of the matter is that acting, direction, production, setting, editing, cinematography, and base writing is what matters. Juno had maybe 1.5 of those things. No Country deserves it simply because it is the Coen's first masterpiece in a while; Blood simply didn't have the writing or the unique styling of Boogie Nights or Magnolia. Think about it: who's talking about Little Miss Sunshine anymore? Best Picture should be about what's going to have an impact. Juno winning, which it certainly won't though they'll probably give it BOS since both the aforementioned pieces were adaptations, would be like what happened in 1980. We're talking best, not favorite.

All that said, the Academy Awards are bull****.

I understand completely - and maybe that is why the Golden Globes has two best picture categories. Maybe the Oscars should as well as a way to recognize films like Juno and films like "American Gangster".

I can sit here and say there were better films made this past year than Juno - but I cannot sit here and say there was a more enjoyable films or a film that touched my heart more than Juno did. Should Juno be penalized because it is an easier film to make at least from a technical standpoint - I don't know. But I do know that "little films" also need to be recognized and rewarded.

Let me say this, if I could watch any movie that I saw this past year for the second time - I would choose to watch "Juno" again.

AesopRockOn
01-24-2008, 11:36 PM
Totally understand and agree with you on the awards thing. If some poor big-budget blockbuster is just going to win at least best sound or best special effects, why not give some other films a chance? I didn't like Juno that much because it isn't the type that stays with me. I had No Country and TWBB on my mind for days afterwards. Juno was on my mind until about twenty minutes later when we walked into Charlie Wilson's War, which I enjoyed more because of the depth of commentary and overall better acting and direction. I don't want to knock Juno though; those type of chick/sentimental flicks are way better than some Matthew Mohawk-whatever or Jennifer Lopez crap.

I feel like American Gangster has the exact same problems as 3:10 to Yuma. Kind of a double lead and not on the spiritual and psychological level as the two I've mentioned continually. The difference I see is that Scott wasn't as precise as Mangold in his overall direction and AG suffered from being kind of long but also kind of incomplete/too quickly wrapped up. Anyways, good show.

Bball
01-25-2008, 11:40 PM
"Bourne Ultimatium"

I liked it. I liked the pacing and I liked the feel that the director achieved with the camera work. I didn't even mind the car chases.

I also liked how they weaved part 2 and 3 together.

There was nothing particularly thought provoking about it, nor did I come away with a new world view from it... It was just entertaining. More movies should try that!

-Bball

campy
01-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Teenage Muntant Niga Turtles II The Seceret of the Ooze.

sweabs
01-27-2008, 03:24 AM
The Bucket List.

Pretty good. I love Morgan Freeman - such a great voice.

Erik
01-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Untraceable- Good, not great. I don't know if all of the things that the villan could do with a computer are realstic or not, but it's a halfway interesting idea for a story.

El Orfanato (The Orphanage)- Very good, almost great. It was produced by Guillermo Del Toro, Writer and Diretcor of Pan's Labyrinth who I am becoming a big fan of. The movie is in spanish with subtitles (if that type of thing bothers you the dialouge is pretty quick and after a while you don't even notice). If you are interested, go see it, you shouldn't be disappointed.

N8R
01-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Cloverfield

It was alright. Different style of story telling, very Blair Witch Project like in the sense that they want to it be a documentary of the way a scenario like that would happen.

Juno

Watched it with some friends who hadnt seen it. Not so good the second time around. It will be deleted from my hard drive.

bellisimo
01-28-2008, 07:18 AM
No Country for Old Men

It was quite good. Interesting characters. Some things would be cleared up if I watch it again the second time around.

He Was a Quiet Man

Didn't know what to expect from it going in. I kinda left the movie with a bad feeling in the end. A bit of a sad story really.

Unclebuck
01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Untraceable - complete waste of two hours. Sorry I saw it. it had a certain sickness to it which I found over the top - other than that just a poorly written movie

sweabs
01-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Juno

Watched it with some friends who hadnt seen it. Not so good the second time around. It will be deleted from my hard drive.
Yeah, I've only seen it once but it isn't one of those movies I would love to see again. It didn't have as big of an effect on me as it did for some other people here. Like I said after watching it...it was a good movie. I had a "good" feeling after watching it. But there was nothing that stood out to me. If I was a chick, I'd call it "cute". I don't plan on watching it again, though.

Erik
01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Devil's Backbone- Another one of Guillermo Del Toro's movies, almost as good as Pan's Labyrinth. It's definately worth checking out.

bellisimo
01-28-2008, 07:45 PM
We Run the Night

had not heard about it till I watched it. The camera/view really gave me a realistic sense of what was happening. Would recommend it :)

N8R
01-28-2008, 10:13 PM
Rendition

I think I missed out on half the movie cause there were no subtitles when they were speaking another language for half of the movie. Gotta love the torrents.

Gone Baby Gone

Good first effort by Ben Affleck and a great acting job by Casey Affleck. It was a pretty good movie. Nothing too special about it though, a few twists and turns like every movie has and a good summing up at the end. Good for a one time viewing.

Hoop
01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Juno

Watched it with some friends who hadnt seen it. Not so good the second time around. It will be deleted from my hard drive.I liked it even better the second time. I'll buy the DVD as soon as it comes out, even though it's still on my hardrive.

bellisimo
01-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Juno

It had some interesting characters. Wasn't boring. Time well spent watching it. :)

bellisimo
01-31-2008, 05:43 AM
Rendition

Watched it with subtitles thanks to a heads up from newman...you kinda have a sense as to what is going to happen yet there was still some part of you wondering if there is going to be a twist in the plot - won't mention if there is or not - worth a watch.

rexnom
01-31-2008, 11:39 AM
I can't wait to see "There Will Be Blood." Daniel Day Lewis looks amazing in it.

Natston
02-01-2008, 02:11 PM
True Lies Terrible, it was like Bad Boys 2 in that it never seemed to end. I actually fell asleep and missed the end. Oh well...

The Number 23 Not as bad I had imagined but I also wasn't paying close attention to some of the finer details. Still wasn't a good movie by any stretch though...

Hostage It was okay, and the beginning was fairly good.

Bball
02-01-2008, 02:37 PM
"The Birds" (Hitchcock)

I was going to pop in a DVD but as I was going thru the channels this was on "Chiller" and I ended up watching a little and then decided I'd forgotten enough about the movie that I was interested in watching the whole thing. I'd forgotten how it ended...

It's an old movie and we've all been spoiled with modern movie techniques so I am sure some would complain about the character's being a little too prim and proper in the setting. The beach scene is clearly a set with a mural in the background. Most of the scenes with the birds are really pretty good though. Probably the one involving the school children and the birds is the one where you can get distracted by some of the unnaturalness of the FX work (some of the background birds have no definition).

But most of the time, it's (fx) pretty good for an older film... especially considering the amount of birds they needed to show.

It's classic Hitchcock. Maybe a little more blood than normal for a Hitchcock film but it's designed to make you use your mind and let some of the fear be built there, not spoon fed to you from the screen.

-Bball

tora tora
02-01-2008, 08:08 PM
True Lies Terrible, it was like Bad Boys 2 in that it never seemed to end. I actually fell asleep and missed the end. Oh well...

I disagree, the movie was hilarious. One of Jamie Lee Curtis' finest performances.

heywoode
02-01-2008, 11:43 PM

I thought it mostly sucked also, but the best parts were Tom Arnold and Bill Paxton stealing the show...Paxton's used car salesman/fake-spy-to-get-laid character was great.

Tom Arnold is always good, and for him, I define good as 'his performance made me be able to look past the fact that he used to bang Roseanne.'

Jamie Lee Curtis was okay (at least she got to perform a underwear-clad slow dance), Arnold was Arnold (the horseriding through the hotel was underwhelming...etc....Tia Carrere makes every movie she's in just a little bit cheesier, and that includes Wayne's World.

Charlton Heston was a great casting move as the one-eyed, scarred head of the black-op group they were all part of....

All in all, the movie actually WAS kind of entertaining, but on actual merit, it does score pretty low. It didn't help that I felt bad perving on a too-young-to-be-perved-on Eliza Dushku. After watching it, I needed to watch Bring It On just to remember that she's now plenty old enough.

heywoode
02-02-2008, 12:04 AM

Best western made in a LOOONG time. The more I see Christian Bale, the more I like him. Not sure there is a more committed actor working today. Russell Crowe was excellent as well. Great bad guy in that he was calm, cool, and collected when the fit hits the shan, and he played the intelligent/psycho character very well. I loved the almost cameo role that Luke Wilson had. Finally nice to see him performing in a film that isn't a romantic comedy. I like him okay in comedy, but it gets old in the date movie genre. Not much substance or challenge to his role in this, but again, it was nice to see that he did it.

American Gangster

Denzel is at his best when he is bad. He plays a great good guy too, and I really think he is one of the finest actors of his generation. I think comparing him to an actor of the past to prove a point (he's the new Sidney Poitier) is selling him short. He is Denzel. Nuff said.

Frank Lucas was one smart and ruthless gangster. If half of what was portrayed was true, I'm not sure the tradeoff for his reduced sentence was worth it, even though he helped bust 75% of the drug cops in the NY/Jersey area. Smuggling heroin in the coffins of dead GI's is probably the textbook definition of 'aggravating circumstances.'

Again, Russell Crowe shined. I wasn't too sure about him being an Oscar caliber actor for quite some time. I'm convinced now. Between these two movies I'm posting about, I will check out whatever he's in (as long as it's not a romantic comedy with him opposite Luke Wilson and/or Kate Hudson).

Off topic and out of nowhere, but.........I pretty much can't stand Kate Hudson. She's not that hot, and a very mediocre actress. If her parents weren't Goldie and Kurt, not sure she would've broken into the biz so easily. I suppose it is obvious that most people like her, because she is obviously bankable, or she wouldn't keep getting roles. I've just not been impressed with her at all. Her opposite Matthew M. (I hate trying to spell his last name without going to imdb.com!) in How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days was a crock. If the casting was supposed to be two top-of-their-game players pitted against each other, you gotta look to a Jessica Alba level hotness to be opposite the double M.

grace
02-02-2008, 12:21 AM
"The Birds" (Hitchcock)

-Bball

I saw it when I was about 8 years old and have no interest in ever seeing it again. :shudder:

Bball
02-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Good movie. Again, no earth-shattering "make you reconsider life as we know it", thought provoking moments. Just solid entertainment.

I agree with Heywoode on the acting comments so I won't retype any of that.

-Bball

N8R
02-03-2008, 02:50 AM
The Kingdom

Good movie. The last about 20 minutes are great and it was very different than what I thought it was about in a better way. I would recommend to all for a watch.

N8R
02-03-2008, 04:57 AM
We Own The Night

Forget about this movie until I downloaded it thinking it was something else. Very forgettable and not all that great. The good part of the story kinda climaxed early and than it was a slow finish. It was ok at best.

Bball
02-03-2008, 06:36 PM
"Network"

My memory must be failing because I could not remember the second half of the movie.

I kept thinking Beale ended up going more and more off the deep end (and the network too involved in the ratings he was getting to care about his health or the toll on him) until he finally committed suicide on air and that was how it ended. But he didn't commit suicide at all. Now I am wondering if before I might've watched it late at night, dozed off, and dreamed up my own ending! ;)

In any case, it's a good movie and not totally unrelated still to the state of TV today. The line between news reporting and entertainment is still being blurred (a major issue this movie used in the plot), and the focus on reality TV that the movie's UBS network was falling in love with certainly rings even truer today than it did then.

---

"A Few Good Men"
It was on one of the channels the other night and I watched it again.

A lot of the movie is rousingly "OK" and I don't think Cruise's performance is anything special for the most part. ... But I do like the ending and Nicholson's performance. ...And whether it was good directing or just Cruise stepping up to the plate, I always thought Cruise elevated his performance during those scenes (and if you're going to do that, the climatic final scenes are a good place).

-Bball

N8R
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Wedding Daze

I can see why it went straight to DVD.

Gyron
02-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Behind Enemy Lines 2
Not great, but not too bad for a made for TV or straight to DVD movie I guess.

bellisimo
02-06-2008, 06:27 AM
Mr. Woodcock

BO-RING

JayRedd
02-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Queimada also known as Burn!

Stars Brando as a Brit sent to a fictional Caribbean island to incite the locals to begin a rebellion against the colonial Portuguese. Most consider it one of his three or four best performances, and Marlon has said that he thinks it is his best.

It was made by Gillo Pontecorvo, who is the same guy that did Battle of Algiers. It really is a great representation of colonial Latin America and as one learned man I know put it, "The story is all fiction...but it's all true.

Very poignant and the score is incredible.

Bball
02-07-2008, 05:59 AM
"Live Free- Die Hard" (or whatever the latest Die Hard is actually called).

I watched the "Unrated Version" so I don't know what extras that got me.

This movie requires you to suspend belief for many of the action scenes. They couldn't be more over the top. The special FX does seem to make them look real, but common sense tells you "no way!" Nobody could be that good... that lucky... or that indestructible... I don't remember the older Die Hards being quite so over the top on the action scenes.

It's certainly not a chick flick.

And I thought it was thoroughly entertaining. It had enough of a plot that it didn't totally rely on the action scenes (they made sense in the grand scheme of the movie). And the pacing was fine for me. There wasn't a lot of worthless filler just to bridge action scenes to make the movie longer or any unneeded subplot to a movie that was really just about the action anyway.

If you're looking for a movie with deep meaning and to have your heartstrings tugged... this ain't it. If you're looking for a complicated whodunit... this ain't it either.

But if you're looking for something to watch on a Saturday night with a cold beer and chips... you could do much worse.

I can't imagine anyone who enjoyed the original Die Hard not liking this as well.

-Bball

DisplacedKnick
02-07-2008, 07:24 AM
I can't imagine anyone who enjoyed the original Die Hard not liking this as well.

-Bball

Far better than 3 - didn't care for that at all. IMO 1, 2 and 4 were all pretty similar - good, relatively mindless entertainment.

JayRedd
02-07-2008, 12:15 PM
What?

Die Hard With A Vengence was great.

Hicks
02-07-2008, 01:37 PM
What?

Die Hard With A Vengence was great.

I'm with you.

I'd rank them:

Die Hard
Die Hard 3
Die Hard 4
Die Hard 2

And I don't hate 2. I've seen it once and remember thinking that it was OK.

heywoode
02-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I liked 'em all, and I would rank them 1,4,2,3. I thought the villain being Hans Gruber's brother in 3 was kinda cheesy, but it was evened out by the fact that McLane was still a loser and was opposite Sam Jackson.

The only part I don't like about the whole franchise is the women in his life. What do these women need to respect and love Johnny boy? He has proven himself to be the most indestructible bada$$ on the planet while saving his wife's life in the first two....They still hate his a$$, leave him, won't talk to him, and won't even use his damn last name. I bet he was paying the bills for his little beyotch daughter to go to Rutgers....I woulda yanked that checkbook until she learned some damn respect....

Or, maybe he likes taking it rough from his women and channels that anger toward the bad guys...??

JayRedd
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I thought Jeremy Irons was great.

I haven't seen 4, but 2 was pretty blah.

They go:

Die Hard 1
Die Hard 3
Die Hard 2

Natston
02-08-2008, 07:49 AM
16 Blocks Solid Movie, I really did like the character develpment and the lack of mindless action.

Sleepy Hollow Decent movie, but some of the added filler (especially Crane's mother flashbacks) was rather pointless.

Natston
02-08-2008, 07:52 AM
As to Die Hard, It's been awhile since I've seen 2 and 3, but my rankings pretty much go like this....

2=3=4
Okay for sequels and are somewhat better than many other movies in the same genre, but in general nothing special.

Hicks
02-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Fists with your toes.

Isaac
02-09-2008, 12:23 AM
16 Blocks Solid Movie, I really did like the character develpment and the lack of mindless action.

I really liked that movie. I've never been a Bruce Willis fan (except for Pulp Fiction) but that made me change my mind. He was very believable in that movie.

I finally saw I Am Legend, it was OK untill the chick picks him up, then it turns awful.

Natston
02-09-2008, 02:08 PM
Secret Window Eh.

heywoode
02-10-2008, 02:40 AM
Fists with your toes.

I do that every time I'm in a hotel room. Seriously. Not sure if it makes a difference in how I feel, but I think of John McLane. One other thing I do is make sure I don't spend much time barefoot and in a wife-beater when I travel. Learn from the past, I always say.

Following the actual subject of the thread:

I watched Pirates of Silicon Valley for the first time in a few years. I liked it just the same as I did the first time I saw it, but this time I like Gates and Jobs a whole lot less. Both of them are ********, and I can't believe Gates never got assassinated after what he did to Apple. Also surprised that a disgruntled and overworked Apple employee hasn't shown up to headquarters looking like Neo rescuing Morpheus....Glad neither happened, regardless of how I feel about them.

I also liked 16 Blocks. Bruce has always done me right. Not sure if there is a role he has played that I DON'T like. Just something about the guy. Now, I do find it a little creepy that he hangs out as the third wheel with Demi & TruckerHat....Maybe he's smug because he knows he had the glory when it was prime...

Oh, JayRedd and I watched The Princess Diaries at the same time at our respective domiciles and then had a two hour chat about the nuances......

Bball
02-10-2008, 03:17 AM
Bruce Willis = A cross between Humphrey Bogart and Fred Flintstone.

:D

I didn't make it up... that was a review from his acting career around "Moonlighting" time. I'm pretty sure it was meant as a compliment in some odd way....

And it's kind of accurate... if you say it as a compliment... ;)

-Bball

heywoode
02-10-2008, 04:51 AM
Just caught the last 45 minutes or so of ATL. Wish I had watched it all, but wasn't that impressed. I like the way it ended. Enough urban dramas end a different way...

The impression I got was that the premise for the story was decent, but it could've been done better.

bellisimo
02-10-2008, 06:08 AM
30 Days of Night

Not a bad slasher/vampires flick...the ending between good vs. evil was a little weak but the final ending was a bit touchy....

efx
02-10-2008, 06:10 AM
Cloverfield.

I really liked it. Sure, it was hyped totally beyond recognition but I nonetheless enjoyed it, mostly because it took place in the surroundings I lived in.

Mourning
02-10-2008, 06:49 AM
Saw "The Machinist" again... still a good movie :).

Also saw "Death of a President". I can see this one beying very controversial, but I think they did a pretty good job with this one, I thought it was interesting. I thought it came across as pretty realistic and it didn't come across as the director was anti-Bush to me or something.

Just my :twocents:

Also saw "Feed"... BAD, BAD, BAD!!!

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

DisplacedKnick
02-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Bruce Willis = A cross between Humphrey Bogart and Fred Flintstone.

:D

I didn't make it up... that was a review from his acting career around "Moonlighting" time. I'm pretty sure it was meant as a compliment in some odd way....

And it's kind of accurate... if you say it as a compliment... ;)

-Bball

For some reason when I make my list of most versatile actors Willis never comes up. But when you look at it, he's done comedy, like in Blind Date, he's done drama with never a punch thrown or a car chase, like Sixth Sense and of course we all know the action movies.

Suaveness
02-10-2008, 10:18 PM
And Pulp Fiction as well

Kegboy
02-10-2008, 11:04 PM
The only part I don't like about the whole franchise is the women in his life. What do these women need to respect and love Johnny boy? He has proven himself to be the most indestructible bada$$ on the planet while saving his wife's life in the first two....They still hate his a$$, leave him, won't talk to him, and won't even use his damn last name. I bet he was paying the bills for his little beyotch daughter to go to Rutgers....I woulda yanked that checkbook until she learned some damn respect....

Or, maybe he likes taking it rough from his women and channels that anger toward the bad guys...??

:laugh:

Seriously, I take it as an allegory for how police work affects family life. The prime example would be Jimmy McNulty on The Wire.

N8R
02-11-2008, 02:27 AM
Heartbreak Kid

A lot better than it looks. It was funnier than I thought. More boobs than I thought. And more inappropriate than I thought as well. I would suggest checking it out.

Oh and the Counting Thread is coming for you Movie thread. So start sweating.

N8R
02-11-2008, 04:25 AM
Saw IV

very typical saw movie.

N8R
02-11-2008, 06:04 AM
War

Interesting. Action packed, story line kinda dragged a bit. It was ok. I wouldnt watch it again.

Mourning
02-11-2008, 07:34 AM
"In the Valley of Ellah". Good movie, but you have to really be in the mood as it's not as easy to digest because of the style of filming and directing (slow-paced, very very sober, very much away from action-thrillers and the like). Good character building though and gives a nice picture of some of the things our young people have to go through in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Again not an "easy" movie. No doubt a lot of people will think it's boring or whatever, but I thought the style fit very well.

Regards,

N8R
02-11-2008, 08:44 AM
Karla

It is about Karla Homoka and Paul Bernardo. It starts Laura Prepon or Donna from That 70's Show. It was a good movie. I am from Canada and totally didnt know this whole story. I knew the names but none of the story behind it.

Unclebuck
02-11-2008, 10:28 AM
"In the Valley of Ellah". Good movie, but you have to really be in the mood as it's not as easy to digest because of the style of filming and directing (slow-paced, very very sober, very much away from action-thrillers and the like). Good character building though and gives a nice picture of some of the things our young people have to go through in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

Again not an "easy" movie. No doubt a lot of people will think it's boring or whatever, but I thought the style fit very well.

Regards,

It was a really good movie - should have figured you would like it also. Tommy Lee Jones was excellent. As you say it isn't a thrill a minute type movie - very somber. The message was clearly anti-war which is to be expected, I didn't like the little hints of anti-americianism. But it was a well made movie.

Edit: Watched "Transformers" over the weekend. Or I should say I watched the first 45 minutes. Of course it is a Michael Bay movie. I should have known, I honestly forget he directed it. I had to turn it off after 45 minutes, told the person I was watching it, I had seen enough. Horrible movie

JayRedd
02-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

As good as ever. One of my favorites and two of my favorite actors.

Suaveness
02-12-2008, 12:02 AM
It was a really good movie - should have figured you would like it also. Tommy Lee Jones was excellent. As you say it isn't a thrill a minute type movie - very somber. The message was clearly anti-war which is to be expected, I didn't like the little hints of anti-americianism. But it was a well made movie.

Edit: Watched "Transformers" over the weekend. Or I should say I watched the first 45 minutes. Of course it is a Michael Bay movie. I should have known, I honestly forget he directed it. I had to turn it off after 45 minutes, told the person I was watching it, I had seen enough. Horrible movie

That movie rocked. You can't really appreciate it unless you really watched the cartoons

heywoode
02-12-2008, 12:25 AM
I appreciated it, and I didn't watch the cartoons at all. I don't mind a good Michael Bay rip-roaring good time. It is, after all, supposed to be entertainment.

Stryder
02-12-2008, 01:00 AM

Please expound on why you didn't like Transformers. What did you really expect?

JayRedd
02-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Blue Chips

Sooooooo good.

"What'd we buy em, Happy? We bought kids cars. We bought em a house. We bought one kid a tractor." Nolte is amazing. And Cousy shoulda gotten the Oscar for "Best Free-Throw Performance by a Supporting Actor." My favorite part, however, is finding out that Tony passed TV. That really is heartwarming.

As for Transformers, yeah, some of it was certainly dumb. The whole John Turturro part comes to mind (and I normally love Turturro). But that whole part kind of dragged, seemed a little unnecessary and definitely could have been done better. But overall it was still a pretty good movie. By far the best CGI I've ever seen. There's not even a close second.

bellisimo
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Michael Clayton

It was a bit confusing in the beginning as to which story line they were trying to go with - but it cleared up towards the end...it wasn't bad - but wouldn't watch it again...

as for the Transformers debacle - its one of those summer flicks that you'll either love or hate....personally i liked it and have watched it about 6 times so far and I can understand why some people wouldn't really like it - for the kid inside me who grew up with Transformers as well as the current adult who thinks Megan Fox is hot - I adore the movie! there I've said it :)

Unclebuck
02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Please expound on why you didn't like Transformers. What did you really expect?

Although action movies aren't my favorite genre, I certainly like some action movies, the Bourne movies (especially the last two were excellent). the first "Die Hard" was great, the last one was enjoyable. Loved "Aliens". "Batman Returns" was outstanding. Point I'm making is I do like action movies. But I hate Michael Bay movies. "Armegeddon" is my alltime most hated movie - it was disgusting. The camera never stops, the music, stupid characters. It is all style and no substance.

And then when I was watching "Transformers" I was having flashbacks, about 10 minutes in I was saying to myself this feels like a Michael Bay film, but I was hoping it wasn't, but then it became obvious, finally I couldn't take it another second. Finally said I can't watch anymore, we need to do something else.

I know there is another post in this thread where I ripped Michael Bay films.

Here is what I wrote last summer, and it applies to "Transformers"
Last summer I saw the second Pirates movie and hated it. I felt like I was on a roller coaster for 2 and a half hours straight and they wouldn't let me off of it. Most movies today are too much non-stop action for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, I like something to happen in the movie, but if I don't care about the characters - then I don't care about what I'm watching.

Mourning
02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Although action movies aren't my favorite genre, I certainly like some action movies, the Bourne movies (especially the last two were excellent). the first "Die Hard" was great, the last one was enjoyable. Loved "Aliens". "Batman Returns" was outstanding. Point I'm making is I do like action movies. But I hate Michael Bay movies. "Armegeddon" is my alltime most hated movie - it was disgusting. The camera never stops, the music, stupid characters. It is all style and no substance.

And then when I was watching "Transformers" I was having flashbacks, about 10 minutes in I was saying to myself this feels like a Michael Bay film, but I was hoping it wasn't, but then it became obvious, finally I couldn't take it another second. Finally said I can't watch anymore, we need to do something else.

Last summer I saw the second Pirates movie and hated it. I felt like I was on a roller coaster for 2 and a half hours straight and they wouldn't let me off of it. Most movies today are too much non-stop action for my tastes. Don't get me wrong, I like something to happen in the movie, but if I don't care about the characters - then I don't care about what I'm watching.

Barvo! Basically where I am at too... I would have to make an exception for "Transfomers" though, which I enjoyed, though I almost felt disgust for some reason in the end where one of the main characters takes a motor bike and let's it slip and slide under one of the Decepticons to be able to fire an RPG or an underslung grenadelauncher (not sure what it was... I must be getting old :cry:) at one of it's weakespots and then acts all "tough/cool". Dunno, seemed so unrealistic someone would do something like that and act like that.

I also thought the humour at the house of the main characters parents with the Autobots walking around there seemed rather ... "dumb".

For the rest I enjoyed it. Great CGI and nice sequences, nice length and ahem..., Belissimo was right, great chick :D.

Not on par with "Aliens" or "Die Hard", but not bad compared to some of the other crap around (like "Edison" wow! BAD!!!!!!).

Btw saw "Sunshine" again yesterday... definitely one of my favorite movies at this moment.

Regards,

bellisimo
02-12-2008, 10:51 AM

I would have to agree that Bay has some very bad camera angles in this movie as well - which was irritating me...

as for character development - in regards to Transformers - it would have been a lot better to develop the TRANSFORMERS instead of the human characters - hello...thats what the movie is supposed to be about in the first place!!!!

Unclebuck
02-12-2008, 11:12 AM
"Sunshine"? - I'll have to check that out

heywoode
02-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Barvo! Basically where I am at too... I would have to make an exception for "Transfomers" though, which I enjoyed, though I almost felt disgust for some reason in the end where one of the main characters takes a motor bike and let's it slip and slide under one of the Decepticons to be able to fire an RPG or an underslung grenadelauncher (not sure what it was... I must be getting old :cry:) at one of it's weakespots and then acts all "tough/cool". Dunno, seemed so unrealistic someone would do something like that and act like that.

I also thought the humour at the house of the main characters parents with the Autobots walking around there seemed rather ... "dumb".

For the rest I enjoyed it. Great CGI and nice sequences, nice length and ahem..., Belissimo was right, great chick :D.

Not on par with "Aliens" or "Die Hard", but not bad compared to some of the other crap around (like "Edison" wow! BAD!!!!!!).

Btw saw "Sunshine" again yesterday... definitely one of my favorite movies at this moment.

Regards,

That was unrealistic during a movie about alien robots who can transform from vehicles and planes into robots and fight each other over a magical cube that was hidden on Earth by building Hoover Dam around it? HEHE....Sorry, that just struck me as odd.

I don't think you can have it both ways. The whole movie was unrealistic....

I can understand not liking the way someone shoots a film. That is understandable, although I can't say that I've ever noticed it before when watching a Michael Bay movie.

I think my ability to watch movies is a unique one. Sometimes I give movies a critical eye and sometimes I just get lost in the fantasy of the story and let things slide. I'm not trying to be hypocritical. Sometimes I rip movies for what I see as errors that seem to take away from being able to just watch it and accept what's happening without being critical, sometimes I can look past the errors and just enjoy the movie, however unrealistic and implausible it may be.

Maybe it just depends on the mood I'm in when I watch it? I would think it is more dependent on how well I can identify with or get into liking the characters/story....I don't know how to explain it.

I didn't have any problems with Transformers other than thinking the Joh Turturro character was kinda dumb and not done very well. And I normally love Turturro as well. (My favorite character from him lately is his role in Anger Management.)

Unclebuck
02-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Not to turn this into a the Michael Bay thread - but here is a list of movies he has directed.

2012: The War for Souls (2010) (in production)
Transformers 2 (2009) (announced)

Transformers (2007)
The Island (2005)
The Lionel Richie Collection (2003) (V) (video "Do It to Me")
Bad Boys II (2003)
Pearl Harbor (2001)

Armageddon (1998/I)
The Rock (1996)
Bad Boys (1995)
Shadows and Light: From a Different View (1992) (V)
Great White: My... My... My... the Video Collection (1991) (V) (video "Call It Rock N' Roll")
Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall (1990) (V)

Gyron
02-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Transformers
The special effects in that movie kicked ***.

The story development needed something, but overall the movie made it up with all the whiz bangs and fast moving action.

heywoode
02-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Not to turn this into a the Michael Bay thread - but here is a list of movies he has directed.

2012: The War for Souls (2010) (in production)
Transformers 2 (2009) (announced)

Transformers (2007)
The Island (2005)
The Lionel Richie Collection (2003) (V) (video "Do It to Me")
Bad Boys II (2003)
Pearl Harbor (2001)

Armageddon (1998/I)
The Rock (1996)
Bad Boys (1995)
Shadows and Light: From a Different View (1992) (V)
Great White: My... My... My... the Video Collection (1991) (V) (video "Call It Rock N' Roll")
Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall (1990) (V)

The bolded movies I really liked. Not so sure about the two Bad Boys movies...I liked them okay, but can't really get into Martin as a cop/action guy. Will Smith is the only redeeming thing about both.

Armageddon was a little cheesy, but again, I could make that leap of faith and get into the characters. Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Steve Buscemi, Owen Wilson, Billy Bob Thornton, Liv Tyler, Michael Clarke Duncan...all easy to like actors, and easy to like characters...heck, I even liked the Russian cosmonaut guy. Definitely some cheese when they were on the comet and rolling around in the vehicles and drilling, but I could look past it for the most part.

The Rock is absolutely classic work. Love Cage and Connery both, supporting characters were great also (Cage's woman is fire hot). Cheese in this one was Connery rolling through the fire tunnel thing based on timing. Totally implausible, but could look past it.

Pearl Harbor was again full of A-list and likeable actors. Great story, even the love story aspect was well done. I love that period of time in America, and love the WWII/Pearl Harbor story anyway, so maybe easy to get into that...Kate Beckinsale is second only to Jessica Alba in hotness...Loved the special effects. It was great to be able to put visuals to such a stunning event as Pearl Harbor, despite the fact that it was so horrific. It is an important event, and I had never seen it played out in live action, only still images and words. Seeing that helped me comprehend the utter devastation America experienced and it made the leap into war a lot more understandable. After it was over, I felt closer to my country.

The Island was a good movie, I thought. Great to see Obi Wan do something else and be good in it. Scarlett Johanssen is also fire hot, and acted well in it. Great story, and I thought it was told very well.

I guess I don't mind Michael Bay at all, and will probably always watch his stuff. I don't notice the camera movement or weird angles....I didn't have a problem with I Am Legend, and I didn't have any problem with Cloverfield, although I would rather it had been a Michael Bay type movie than a handheld camera, Blair Witch-type movie. If they sequel Cloverfield, I would rather it be more of a blockbuster. I will still watch it, even if it is the same story told from different people's perspectives and shot with handhelds again because I like the story.

Hicks
02-12-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't play the "you're complaining about X, when Y" card with sci-fi because it's one thing to set up a universe with robots, but that doesn't give it free reign to just do anything it wants (I mean they can, but it looks stupid). Establish the rules of that world, and stick to them. So there's robots. That doesn't mean people act like racial stereotypes or in Mourning's example, out of place in a combat zone.

Might as well give Robert Neville a wizard's powers to ward off the mutants. After all, it's already a movie where a virus turns you into some kind of vamp-mutant, why not magic? Or compromise: Aliens come down to give Nevile the technology he needs to save the world!

heywoode
02-12-2008, 12:10 PM
I guess a more to the point answer from me would have been that I didn't think the scenario described was that implausible given the circumstance. The weak spot was the underside of the decepticon; they were getting their butts kicked, the motorcycle was there...no more implausible than dragging BumbleBee around by a wrecker to have him still be able to fight. I'm not suggesting the leap you are talking about. His move that killed the decepticon was fine in the context of the movie, not something totally out of place like Neville getting wizard powers or having aliens save the day. Those examples are totally out of place in the context of the movie.

All kinds of spectacular moves were being executed in the Transformers battle scene. Sam hanging off the building holding the cube, eventually falling and being caught by Prime in midair, Sam jamming the cube into Megatron's chest, etc.....All those are implausible, but not out of context.

Isaac
02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
UB, I'm totally with you on Michael Bay. I refuse to see any movie he directs or has anything to do with now.

I saw There Will Be Blood the other day and I thought it was phenomenal. Usually I don't like the use of intense music to build tension, but this film did it so perfectly and originally that I've never heard a soundtrack work so well and give a film such an eerie feel. This movie is so perfectly acted that you feel like you are covered in Oil the whole movie. In the start when Daniel gets the wind knocked out of him, you feel like the wind just got knocked out of you. I was hooked with the characters from the beginning and honestly I have never had such an unbelievable experience watching a film in the theaters. I usually have a certain amount of detachment for natural reasons of knowing that I'm watching something on film, but this movie pushed that envelope for me.

Natston
02-12-2008, 03:01 PM
JOSH DUHAMEL

Shia, you have to get to the roof of some building. A helicopter will pick you up and take you to safety.

SHIA LABEOUF

How? Two of the bad guys are jets and another is a military chopper. Can this helicopter teleport or something?

JOSH DUHAMEL

Michael Bay doesn’t know how to direct an action sequence without someone needing to get to run toward something, so you better get moving before the movie gets boring again.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/transformers.html
This whole page sums up Micheal Bay and Transformers...

Unclebuck
02-12-2008, 03:31 PM
JOSH DUHAMEL

Shia, you have to get to the roof of some building. A helicopter will pick you up and take you to safety.

SHIA LABEOUF

How? Two of the bad guys are jets and another is a military chopper. Can this helicopter teleport or something?

JOSH DUHAMEL

Michael Bay doesn’t know how to direct an action sequence without someone needing to get to run toward something, so you better get moving before the movie gets boring again.

http://www.the-editing-room.com/transformers.html
This whole page sums up Micheal Bay and Transformers...

That was soooooooooo much more entertaining than the movie

JayRedd
02-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Establish the rules of that world, and stick to them.

Yup...couldn't agree more.

Erik
02-12-2008, 03:37 PM
UB, I'm totally with you on Michael Bay. I refuse to see any movie he directs or has anything to do with now.

I saw There Will Be Blood the other day and I thought it was phenomenal. Usually I don't like the use of intense music to build tension, but this film did it so perfectly and originally that I've never heard a soundtrack work so well and give a film such an eerie feel. This movie is so perfectly acted that you feel like you are covered in Oil the whole movie. In the start when Daniel gets the wind knocked out of him, you feel like the wind just got knocked out of you. I was hooked with the characters from the beginning and honestly I have never had such an unbelievable experience watching a film in the theaters. I usually have a certain amount of detachment for natural reasons of knowing that I'm watching something on film, but this movie pushed that envelope for me.
That line would seem kinda funny to those who don't know what the movie was about:D Excellent movie, Daniel Day-Lewis has become one of my top 5 favorite actors, he also did a great job in Gangs of New York, one I'll have to see again soon.

JayRedd
02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
With no hyperbole intended whatsoever, The Editing Room is quite possibly the greatest site on the internet.

This stuff is just unadultered greatness:

a MIDDLE EASTERN guy is unhelpful and picks his nose, because MICHAEL BAY doesn’t know the difference between COMEDY and RACISM.

When did this movie turn into an episode of ALF? Can we get to the part of the movie where robots fight and Michael Bay bukkakes my childhood?

Um… 19th century internet?

heywoode
02-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Well, I guess I'm more low-brow than I thought. Oh well, I'm easy to entertain. Maybe one day I'll be more discerning and cerebral.

Erik
02-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Jumper- aside from There Will Be Blood (which is in a class of it's own), this is the best movie I've seen this year.

JayRedd
02-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Fight Club

Still amazing.

Bball
02-18-2008, 12:22 AM
"Pirates of the Carribean 3 At World's End"

Can I get those 3 hours of my life back?

Ok... The plot is impossible to follow or make sense of (assuming there really is a plot). Johnny Depp's pirate has grown stale (though I don't know what else could be done with him given the material).

It looked pretty good and the pacing made the time go by quickly enough... But don't be expecting an ending that ties it all up and makes you go "Hmmmm that tied everything together nicely. I get it now!". No, just expect an ending that makes you hope the movie's real title is:
Pirates of the Carribean At the Series End.

----
FWIW: I liked 1. Thought 2 was 'blah'... and wish I hadn't wasted time even watching 3.

-Bball

idioteque
02-18-2008, 01:13 AM
"Pirates of the Carribean 3 At World's End"

Can I get those 3 hours of my life back?

Ok... The plot is impossible to follow or make sense of (assuming there really is a plot). Johnny Depp's pirate has grown stale (though I don't know what else could be done with him given the material).

It looked pretty good and the pacing made the time go by quickly enough... But don't be expecting an ending that ties it all up and makes you go "Hmmmm that tied everything together nicely. I get it now!". No, just expect an ending that makes you hope the movie's real title is:
Pirates of the Carribean At the Series End.

----
FWIW: I liked 1. Thought 2 was 'blah'... and wish I hadn't wasted time even watching 3.

-Bball

Agreed. Halfway through the second Pirates movie, I completely lost track of what the hell was going on in those movies.

JayRedd
02-18-2008, 03:05 AM
Hot Shots Part Deux

First one's better. Still some good gags in here though. Wonder whatever happened to the chick that played Ramada...she was smoke.

kester99
02-18-2008, 03:11 AM
Sexy Beast.

No, it's not that kind.

Brilliant movie. Ben Kingsley is fookin' maniacal.

That's after watching Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night. It's been a small-time Brit villain dark comedy weekend.

Aw Heck
02-18-2008, 03:14 AM
Hot Shots Part Deux

First one's better. Still some good gags in here though. Wonder whatever happened to the chick that played Ramada...she was smoke.
My favorite part of that movie is when Charlie Sheen is on the boat, and he's reading his voice-over narration from Platoon. Then, another boat passes his, with Martin Sheen on board reading his voice-over narration from Apocalypse Now. the two voice-over narrations overlap, then they both stand up and shout "I loved you in Wall Street!" as the boats pass each other.

It's dumb humor, sure, but it cracks me up every time I see it on TV.

EDIT: Well, he's a youtube clip of it:
HKTZNeR_GPU

bellisimo
02-18-2008, 05:46 AM
The Bucket List

Nicholsan and Freeman did their thing...it was worth a watch

A V P II

I don't really care too much for this series but one of my friends made me watch it - it was like all the other cheap thrills of an alien flick.

Charlie Wilson's War

If you are not interested in political movies...stay away from this one. However it was a good movie that does deserve its chance...

Mourning
02-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Sexy Beast.

No, it's not that kind.

Brilliant movie. Ben Kingsley is fookin' maniacal.

That's after watching Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels last night. It's been a small-time Brit villain dark comedy weekend.

Yeah, I really liked "Sexy Beast" too. Especially the first 30 minutes are great.

JayRedd
02-19-2008, 12:05 PM
Kingsley is amazing in Sexy Beast.

Like Mourning says though, the flick kind of falls apart towards the end. Or just boring anyway.

Natston
02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
Hot Shots Part Deux

I liked Airplane!, Top Secret! and The Naked Gun but I didn't like Hot Shots at all. So if you say that Part Deux is worse that the original, then I will never watch it...

JayRedd
02-20-2008, 03:41 PM
My favorite part of that movie is when Charlie Sheen is on the boat, and he's reading his voice-over narration from Platoon. Then, another boat passes his, with Martin Sheen on board reading his voice-over narration from Apocalypse Now. the two voice-over narrations overlap, then they both stand up and shout "I loved you in Wall Street!" as the boats pass each other.

It's dumb humor, sure, but it cracks me up every time I see it on TV.

EDIT: Well, he's a youtube clip of it:
HKTZNeR_GPU

Yes...That part is fantastic.

I liked Airplane!, Top Secret! and The Naked Gun but I didn't like Hot Shots at all. So if you say that Part Deux is worse that the original, then I will never watch it...

It may be better. Haven't seen the first one forever. Surely, neither is close to Airplane! or The Naked Gun though. I've still never seen Top Secret...been meaning to for years. I gotta add it to the queue.

Kraft
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Michael Clayton.

Is anyone else tired of the near-movielong flashback? It didn't ruin this film for me, but it sure worried me about it.

I'm surprised this is nominated for Best Picture. Enjoyable, sure -- just not an amazing story. And I've seen Clooney do this before ... a lot. He does it well.

Erik
02-22-2008, 05:56 PM
In Bruges- Great movie. Plenty of comedy, drama and action. I went to the Keystone Arts Cinema to see it, it is a very cool place.

heywoode
02-23-2008, 02:12 AM
I hadn't seen Parenthood in a long time. For those with kids of any age, it is a true masterpiece in what life on the roller coaster is like. I am an only child, but I have seen enough of sibling interaction as adults to have a pretty good feeling that the portrayal of that dynamic is dead on also.

Great movie. Underrated or overlooked probably, but one of those movies that I can't not watch once I start.

Isaac
02-24-2008, 03:51 PM
Michael Clayton.

Is anyone else tired of the near-movielong flashback? It didn't ruin this film for me, but it sure worried me about it.

I'm surprised this is nominated for Best Picture. Enjoyable, sure -- just not an amazing story. And I've seen Clooney do this before ... a lot. He does it well.

I agree. I like Michael Clayton, but the fact that it is nominated for best picture with Eastern Promises and American Gangster sidelined is a travesty. The nominations this year (of what I've seen) should be There Will Be Blood, Eastern Promises, American Gangster, No Country for Old Men and Into the Wild. That is an impressive list of films right there.

I'm really hoping There Will be Blood gets cinemetography and sound editing, because it really deserves it.

Raskolnikov
02-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Juno

Feel good movie.

Ellen Page looks so cool and cute. I'd like to get to know her.

But apparently she's Canadian. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

bellisimo
02-24-2008, 04:47 PM
Run Fatboy Run

It wasn't as awesome as Hot Fuzz but it still was worth a watch.

Raskolnikov
02-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Run Fatboy Run

It wasn't as awesome as Hot Fuzz but it still was worth a watch.
Haha Hot Fuzz was so cool. I'd like to see that one again for sure.

Unclebuck
02-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Jumper- aside from There Will Be Blood (which is in a class of it's own), this is the best movie I've seen this year.

Really? I saw it this past weekend, and even though the idea was a pretty good one and it was mildly entertaining it was lacking. Not sure what it could have been a pretty good movie, but I would give is a very average rating

Gyron
02-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Pirates of the Carribean 3. Good special effects, acting was as good as the others, Johnny Depp still a perfect Role for him, but the story had way too many arcs to keep up with.

Keith Richards played the perfect father for Johnny Depp though.

That and they spent all that time building up Calypso and all she did was turn into crabs and spin the sea for a short time? What happened to the rage she was going to reak on all thoughs who betrayed and enslaved her into the human body?

Also, they got all of those ships to show up for the battle, and they only use one in the whole damn battle? What the hell was the rest of the royal fleet doing back there? My wife asked the same question. That and when they started blowing the one Royal ship to hell all the guy could do is stand there? And not really say a word? That made no sense to me either. Made for some awesome special effects, but made no sense story wise.

Mourning
02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I thought it pretty retarded aswell that the Pirates sunk one major RN ship and then the rest would just run away, crying like little babies, that's just beyond ignorant IMO.

Either way... I didnt particularly like part I all that much, didn't like II at all and pretty much despised part III (anyone notice a trend? :D). Just not my kind of movies I guess :).

So, why did I actually watch all three? :shudder:

Regards,

Gyron
02-25-2008, 02:32 PM
I loved part 1 and part 2 was pretty good, but Part 3's story line just confused me.

Bball
02-25-2008, 03:11 PM
I loved part 1 and part 2 was pretty good, but Part 3's story line just confused me.

I liked part 1 and thought 2 by itself was 'blah'... but had hopes that it needed part 3 to cap it off and pull it all together. Boy, was I wrong! If I was to watch part 2 again I'd probably think less of it now than before.

-Bball

Erik
02-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Really? I saw it this past weekend, and even though the idea was a pretty good one and it was mildly entertaining it was lacking. Not sure what it could have been a pretty good movie, but I would give is a very average ratingI recommended it to a friend of mine who I thought for sure would like it, he said pretty much the same thing that you did, "Good idea, kinda disappointing". Maybe just the idea of it was good enough to please me but I thought it was really good. I may have went overboard with the "best movie I've seen this year" thing. "There Will Be Blood" and "In Bruges" are way more entertaining.

Kraft
02-26-2008, 05:34 AM
I agree. I like Michael Clayton, but the fact that it is nominated for best picture with Eastern Promises and American Gangster sidelined is a travesty.

I saw Eastern Promises tonight, and I agree. It's just a much better story. Tight, cohesive, involved. The characters are rich.

BigRik
02-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Gladiator It was kinda cool that on Mike and Mike (actually Eric and Mike, greeny was gone), that Eric(can't spell last name) had never seen it ever though his wife owned the dvd.

Bball
02-29-2008, 04:37 AM
"American Psycho"

Hmmm... I guess I 'got it' but the movie didn't really thrill me. I expected more.

-Bball

BigRik
02-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Mad Max. A case of the sequal justifying making the original.

JayRedd
02-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Life and Debt

Documentary made a few years back about the huge struggles Jamaica's economy and people are having with globalization. Displays the problems very well I though. And it features a particularly cogent interview with former prime minister, Michael Manley. Former IMF director, too.

N8R
02-29-2008, 09:30 PM

30 days of night

Not a good movie at all

Alvin and the Chimpmunks

Even worse

Bball
03-01-2008, 05:41 AM
"The Exorcism of Emily Rose"

Had I known the significance of 3AM I might've picked a different time to watch the movie ;)

I managed to have it accidentally timed so that the exorcism pretty much coincided with 3AM. :eek:

I liked how the courtroom scenes were rather dry and sterile and actually resembled a typical courtroom, not a 'movie courtroom'. I also thought the 'attorneys' played the scenes a little more by the book than is typical for many tv and movie courtroom scenes where the 'attorneys' get away with things that wouldn't actually be allowed.

I really liked this movie. I thought it was smart and scary at the same time. And truthfully, the prosecution seemed more times than not to have a plausible answer for the defense's case... even tho the defense always seemed convincing at the time. ...Kinda like in a real court.

For anyone who hasn't seen it- It's not a horror movie like The Exorcist, nor is it a slasher film like Friday the 13th. It's a courtroom drama with a backstory that's has some scary moments. About the best way to describe it would be to imagine if a prosecutor had wanted to charge the priest in The Exorcist for his abuse/exorcism of a 'child' rather than seeking medical help for the Linda Blair character. So you'd have a movie focused on the courtroom battles but with things from the movie shown as the witnesses testify... but with the prosecution presenting plausible alternate explanations just to keep you wondering as things build (keeping in mind this movie didn't have to explain a head turning all the way around).

-Bball

N8R
03-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Counting Thread Is Leaps Ahead of you Mere Movie Thread

bellisimo
03-01-2008, 10:01 AM
2 days in Paris

It was entertaining and definitely could relate to how the life in France can be....

JayRedd
03-01-2008, 01:35 PM
Back to the Future

"Where we're going, we don't need roads."

AesopRockOn
03-01-2008, 06:54 PM
He Got Game - hadn't seen it for years. Really love that flick; even if you don't like parts of it, Denzel's performance keeps it from being unlikable. As long as Spike keeps making films, I'll admire his ambition. And totally forgot about REggie's cameo. Damn good.

Hoop
03-01-2008, 09:05 PM
"The Brave One" I liked it, I give it a 8.

Suaveness
03-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Eurotrip

Still cracks me up

Raoul Duke
03-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Semi Pro

They mention the Pacers a few times but they don't actually play them in the movie :sad: anyways the movie is decent. Not the best Will Ferrell movie but not the worst.

Mourning
03-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Saw "A Mighty Heart" again about Daniel Pearl's abduction and subsequent murder seen from the perspective of his pregnant wife. Strong movie with a powerfull performance from Angelina Jolie.

Regards,

Gyron
03-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Alvin and the Chimpmunks

Even worse

At what point in time did you even THINK that Alvin and the Chipmunks was gonna be a good movie?

Twes
03-04-2008, 02:32 PM
The past few weeks:

The Kingdom
Breach

Michael Clayton
The Brave One
American Ganster

We Own the Night
The Bucket List
Gone Baby Gone
Wolf Creek

Gyron
03-04-2008, 02:41 PM
We watched Transformers again last night.

So I caught one thing I didn't the first time I watched it. Optimus Prime refers to Megatron as "Brother" in the final scene where he is standing over Megatrons dead corpse.

I didn't realize they were brothers.

Suaveness
03-04-2008, 04:04 PM
The Producers

The newest one...probably not as good as the original, but still funny

bellisimo
03-04-2008, 04:16 PM

So I caught one thing I didn't the first time I watched it. Optimus Prime refers to Megatron as "Brother" in the final scene where he is standing over Megatrons dead corpse.

they aren't brothers - or atleast that was never the case in the cartoons...for some reason he did refer to Megatron as a brother in that scene...maybe they wanted to create a family feud for the sequel?

Unclebuck
03-04-2008, 04:23 PM
The past few weeks:

The Kingdom
Breach

Michael Clayton
The Brave One
American Ganster

We Own the Night
The Bucket List
Gone Baby Gone
Wolf Creek

Good, average or bad.

Gyron
03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
they aren't brothers - or atleast that was never the case in the cartoons...for some reason he did refer to Megatron as a brother in that scene...maybe they wanted to create a family feud for the sequel?

I didn't think I remembered them being brothers in the cartoons.

But it would be an interesting twist in the movies series though.

I mean we know Megatron will be back. He will escape his icey dungeon again somehow.(after someone stills his heart from Optimus and reactivates him)

Twes
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Good, average or bad.

I'd say Gone Baby Gone was the best movie. I'm a big Dennis Lehane Fan. I was a little disappointed in a couple of the characters but for the most part liked the movie.

It was dark though. Not a pick you up date movie.

The Kingdon, Michale Clayton, Bucket List and American Gangster were all good I thought.

The rest were just ok.

Wolf Creek was more about a guy at work told me he saw this traffic accident (the movie) he couldn't not watch. SO of course I was obligated.

Stryder
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Brothers-in-arms, possibly, caught on opposite sides of the track...I think most people take the Brothers comment too literally...

bellisimo
03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Dan In Real Life

meh...getting rather tired of these so called romantic/comedy genre with a happy ending...

JayRedd
03-05-2008, 03:15 AM

When I say brother, I don't mean, like, an actual brother, but I mean it like the way black people use it. Which is more meaningful, I think.

bellisimo
03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Cloverfield

fun roller coaster ride...

tdubb03
03-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I just watched Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the most recent one. I've seen it probably four times, I really love it. I like Mos Def as an actor a lot, liked him in 16 Blocks as well. Sam Rockwell made for a good Beedlebrox. A John Malkovich cameo is always good. The computer effects are amazing, especially the ending sequence through the planet factory. I'd highly recommend it if you're into the sci-fi fantasy kinda stuff.

Pig Nash
03-06-2008, 02:16 PM
I just watched Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, the most recent one. I've seen it probably four times, I really love it. I like Mos Def as an actor a lot, liked him in 16 Blocks as well. Sam Rockwell made for a good Beedlebrox. A John Malkovich cameo is always good. The computer effects are amazing, especially the ending sequence through the planet factory. I'd highly recommend it if you're into the sci-fi fantasy kinda stuff.

But are not ridiculously into HHGTTG, it's decent sci-fi, but not on par with the books, imo.

tdubb03
03-06-2008, 03:39 PM
But are not ridiculously into HHGTTG, it's decent sci-fi, but not on par with the books, imo.

I haven't read them since probably sixth grade or so, I'm sure if I updated myself I'd have a new appreciation for them. But the library is just so far away...

Unclebuck
03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Going to see 10,000 BC tonight, but I don't want to - the reviews are generally terrible for this movie - I'll let you know what I think

Mourning
03-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Saw "Bobby Kennedy" and "Where The Truth Lies" and a Danish movie called "Adam's Apples". I liked all three of them, actually.

I thought "Bobby Kennedy" had maybe a few stories (comparable make up as "Traffic", "Magnolia" and "Crash") too many and maybe a few scenes too many, but in the end they make sense and the end, I personally thought, was pretty powerfull.

As a sidenote I'm pretty sure Í'm not the only one who hopes that Obama and Hillary have the best security they can get, whoever wins the race for the Democratic nomination.

Regards,

tdubb03
03-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Saw "Bobby Kennedy" and "Where The Truth Lies" and a Danish movie called "Adam's Apples". I liked all three of them, actually.

I thought "Bobby Kennedy" had maybe a few stories (comparable make up as "Traffic", "Magnolia" and "Crash") too many and maybe a few scenes too many, but in the end they make sense and the end, I personally thought, was pretty powerfull.

As a sidenote I'm pretty sure Í'm not the only one who hopes that Obama and Hillary have the best security they can get, whoever wins the race for the Democratic nomination.

Regards,

I'm also a big fan of Bobby. I wasn't around for the real phenomenon known as Bobby Kennedy's Presidential Bid, but from the little I do know it seems they captured the hysteria (good and bad) surrounding him pretty well. And it's pretty few and far between I can like Lindsay Lohan in a role.

bellisimo
03-08-2008, 05:47 AM
Illegal Tender

crap movie - horrible acting

The Brave One

some parts felt a bit slow as I thought it was going to be more of an action movie but it was quite good

Feast of Love

wasn't bored with it...can't say its something i would be interested in watching again though...

rexnom
03-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Holy mother of God. I just finished There Will Be Blood. It was a 2 AM to 5 AM deal so maybe it added to the intenseness but wow. Everyone who likes acting, writing, directing, and/or great movies needs to watch this movie. Better than No Country IMO.

And Daniel-Day Lewis? Wow. While I love the acting that I also saw from him in the previews and that David Spade spoofed ("I've got a competition in me." etc.), it's all the other stuff that really won it for me. You have no idea how amazing he is until you see this full movie.

The part at the very end with Eli is probably the finest acting I have ever seen. I was shaking at the end of this movie. Just wow.

Mourning
03-08-2008, 09:35 AM
I'm also a big fan of Bobby. I wasn't around for the real phenomenon known as Bobby Kennedy's Presidential Bid, but from the little I do know it seems they captured the hysteria (good and bad) surrounding him pretty well. And it's pretty few and far between I can like Lindsay Lohan in a role.

Completely aggree, even with the Lindsay Lohan note! I definitely don't like her in ANY other role that I can imagine, but I thought she acted very good in this role... not too mention she looked very cute to me aswell without looking "*****y".

Anyway, the movie reminded me a bit of current days with Obama, but maybe I'm the only seeying it that way.

Regards,

Mourning
03-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Definitely on my "have to see FAST"-list aswell :).

Holy mother of God. I just finished There Will Be Blood. It was a 2 AM to 5 AM deal so maybe it added to the intenseness but wow. Everyone who likes acting, writing, directing, and/or great movies needs to watch this movie. Better than No Country IMO.

And Daniel-Day Lewis? Wow. While I love the acting that I also saw from him in the previews and that David Spade spoofed ("I've got a competition in me." etc.), it's all the other stuff that really won it for me. You have no idea how amazing he is until you see this full movie.

The part at the very end with Eli is probably the finest acting I have ever seen. I was shaking at the end of this movie. Just wow.

Unclebuck
03-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Did watch "10,000 BC" last night. The scenery was beautiful - it really was. And it was better than a Michael Bay movie - but those are the only two good things I can say about it. The dialogue at times was sooooooooo bad it was funny.

rexnom
03-08-2008, 06:10 PM
I just saw Bobby and I thought it was terrible. Just awful writing and mediocre directing and the acting isn't that great either. No big surprise that this was passed over by critics and awards.

Traffic and Short Cuts are two examples of "multiple stories" movies done well. Bobby, not so much. The clips of RFK were nice of course.

AesopRockOn
03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I just saw Bobby and I thought it was terrible. Just awful writing and mediocre directing and the acting isn't that great either. No big surprise that this was passed over by critics and awards.

Traffic and Short Cuts are two examples of "multiple stories" movies done well. Bobby, not so much. The clips of RFK were nice of course.

Agreed, the only way ensemble pieces can turn out well is basic understanding of story, character, and dialogue writing. Which is why Magnolia is so incredible.

Watching all the (Blake Edwards) Pink Panther films right now; they kind of deteriorate because of the overemphasis on gags and the underwhelming plots and quality of support. However, Peter Sellers (probably the best comedic actor ever) is continuously fantastic. Any coming-up comedian needs to study the work of this man from Lolita to Strangelove to Shot in the Dark to Being There. It's incredible to me that the two best comedic actors were both British. America number two?

Pig Nash
03-09-2008, 02:20 AM
I Heart Huckabees again, which is funnier now that Huckabee ran for president.

****ABEES!

Mourning
03-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Saw "No Country For Old Men" last night. Great, great movie!

efx
03-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Rambo. I liked it a lot.

bellisimo
03-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Bee Movie

good fun movie

JayRedd
03-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Hot Fuzz

It was pretty good and all, but I'm a little surprised at its very high IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes ratings. Feels like it must have gotten early praise from critics and then became a self-fulfilling prophecy where everyone who watched it just pretends it's amazing. Seems a little like Little Miss Sunshine or something in that respect. Not that they were similar movies at all, but just that they were both pretty good flicks that got overhyped into something they're not.

All that shouldn't take away from what is a very good spoof movie that is very clever and enjoyable, but based on all the acclaim I'd heard from people I couldn't help but thinking "That's it?" But like most good comedies, I imagine it's better when you're not so engaged in the plot, so I'll have to give it another go some time soon and see if some of the little stuff doesn't become more impressive.

sweabs
03-10-2008, 02:30 AM
Just finished watching The Mist.

I don't even know how to comment on the film...I'm still in shock by the ending. I did not see that coming.

N8R
03-10-2008, 05:31 AM
Run Fatboy Run

Directed by David Schwimmer and starring the same guy from Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the dead, the skinner guy not the fat arse. It was alright. Nothing special. Not as good as either of the previously mentioned movies.

Unclebuck
03-10-2008, 08:19 AM

I don't even know how to comment on the film...I'm still in shock by the ending. I did not see that coming.

I felt the same way

Gyron
03-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Shrek 3: Nowhere near as good as the first one. About equal to the second. But I did laugh a few times.

bellisimo
03-10-2008, 09:09 AM

its on my list to watch it soon...heard about this ending and i'm just curious as to what it is all about...

Unclebuck
03-10-2008, 09:26 AM
its on my list to watch it soon...heard about this ending and i'm just curious as to what it is all about...

The movie is quite painful to watch until the ending. But part of the fun is ruined for you because you'll be expecting a huge ending - I was just expecting and looking forward to the movie being over and then the ending came.

here is what I posted back in December, right after I saw "The Mist"

I saw "The Mist" over the weekend.

It was a mixed bag to say the least. Some of the worst acting and dialogue I've ever seen or heard. The special effects were horrible. I was actually laughing for a lot of the movie and it wasn't supposed to be funny.

But then a strange thing happened. The ending. And while as I was watching it, it didn't really have much impact on me except I was glad the movie was over. However, after I thought about it for a little bit, the ending was one of the best endings I've ever seen in any movie.

I could not possibly recommend the movie because it was not good, but the ending almost makes it worth the time. Although if I could I would have walked out long before the ending.

It might be a fun movie to rent and make fun of most of the way through and then watch it for the ending.

Unclebuck
03-10-2008, 09:31 AM
I watched "American Gangster" for the first time over the weekend - Excellent movie. Crowe and Denzel of course were excellent - but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie - didn't seem long at all. And I watched the extended version which was almost 3 hours long

bellisimo
03-10-2008, 05:44 PM
The Mist

that was...some ending...

Mourning
03-10-2008, 07:59 PM
I watched "American Gangster" for the first time over the weekend - Excellent movie. Crowe and Denzel of course were excellent - but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie - didn't seem long at all. And I watched the extended version which was almost 3 hours long

That's funny. I saw it on saturday on rental DVD after I went to "No Country For Old Men" and I saw the extended version aswell. I thought it was pretty good, though some parts definitely felt romantisized a bit, but that's ok. I had a good time watching this movie. Good flick, absolutely.

Regards,

N8R
03-14-2008, 09:59 PM
The Mist

I watched it after reading the post by Uncle Buck and rcarey said something about it aswell. I was expecting something huge to finish off the movie and when i saw the ending I was actually laughing pretty hard. BURN HAHAHAHAHAHA So funny. But yeah the acting was shat, the special effects were laughable and it wasnt a great movie. Worth the ending though as you will be on the ground with hilariousness going through your mind.

bellisimo
03-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Alvin and the Chipmunks

it ended up being better than the crap that I was expecting it to be...

The Invasion

It was good movie - Nicole Kidman did a fine job in it...

Suaveness
03-16-2008, 06:48 PM
Ocean's 13

For those of you who have seen these movies, I have a question. I was under the impression that during the first two movies Linus' dad was Rusty...was I completely off on that? Cause they show the Caldwell inspector guy in the 3rd movie

JayRedd
03-16-2008, 07:07 PM
I've heard a few people confused by that. Not sure where yall are getting it from, but Rusty was definitely not Linus' pops. In 11, right when Linus meets Danny we find out that his dad is some unspecified heist legend. Can't remember exactly how it's put, but everyone knows his dad and Linus is constantly living in his shadow.

AesopRockOn
03-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Mississippi Burning - can see why it sparked the first hate crime. More powerful than Schindler's in my opinion; just so balanced and understanding with each edge as sharp as the next. Learn about this country.

Oh yeah, and The Orphanage. Del Toro only produced it but you could tell he had some influence. The film was pretty well done as far as establishing themes, structuring, characterization, and setting up scares. I'm not quite sure I got everything in terms of whether they were attempting to make sure everything occurred in the real world, especially after introducing the bull**** psychic aspect. The end seemed misedited as well. Solid, though. Check it out if you can be scared. :cool:

Mourning
03-17-2008, 04:52 PM
"Rendition". Pretty decent, but not something that really stays with you for long and it's because of the way the story is told IMO. The topic absolutely deserves a movie that is more memorable. Still not a bad movie, just that the topic had more potential IMPO.

Going to "There Will Be Blood" somewhere next weekend. 150+ minutes... :drool:

:D:D:D

Regards,

Suaveness
03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
I've heard a few people confused by that. Not sure where yall are getting it from, but Rusty was definitely not Linus' pops. In 11, right when Linus meets Danny we find out that his dad is some unspecified heist legend. Can't remember exactly how it's put, but everyone knows his dad and Linus is constantly living in his shadow.

That's where I got confused... I assumed Danny was talking about Rusty

bellisimo
03-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Death at a funeral

good british comedy - would recommend

Gyron
03-18-2008, 08:46 AM
300 Great bloody movie. I was impressed. I would never be able to get my wife to watch it, but since I'm home sick, might as well watch all the blood and gore I can get in yesterday and today.

bellisimo
03-18-2008, 08:57 AM
300 Great bloody movie. I was impressed. I would never be able to get my wife to watch it, but since I'm home sick, might as well watch all the blood and gore I can get in yesterday and today.

was it the first time you've seen it?

i want to make a movie marathon soon which consists of watching 300, Braveheart and Gladiator all in one day....

Gyron
03-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Yeah I bought it a month ago and haven't ahd the chance to watch it because my wifew ouldn't watch it with me. Target had it on sale for I think $5 so bought it thinking I knew it should be pretty good.

MagicRat
03-18-2008, 01:30 PM
The Last Waltz (Blu-Ray)

Outstanding......

dannyboy
03-18-2008, 02:05 PM
The Wiz
Planet Terror
Death Proof
The Boy Who Could Fly

bellisimo
03-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Outpost

bo-ring

N8R
03-20-2008, 12:36 AM
The Wiz

Is The Wiz the one with Fred Savage about Video Games?

Pig Nash
03-20-2008, 12:38 AM
I think The Wiz is the 1970's version of the Wizard of Oz.

N8R
03-20-2008, 12:48 AM
I dont know. The Wiz I am thinking about is a GREAT movie.

EDIT: Just searched and the one I am thinking about is called the Wizard

http://pressthebuttons.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/wizard.jpg

bellisimo
03-20-2008, 05:16 AM
hero wanted

wasn't that terrible...had a made for dvd feel to it....

N8R
03-20-2008, 05:39 AM
I am going to watch Jumper this weekend. Got the DVD screener Giggity. When I watched Run Fatboy Run I thought it was already out on DVD and I saw a commercial for it last night saying it wasnt out until March 28. Man this Torrenting is messing me up...but in a good way

dannyboy
03-20-2008, 10:11 AM
I think The Wiz is the 1970's version of the Wizard of Oz.

That's the one. The 1978 version featuring an all Black cast including Diana Ross, Richard Pryor, Lena Horne, young Michael Jackson, and the late, great Nipsey Russell.

Jose Slaughter
03-20-2008, 10:22 AM
City Lights

Charlie Chaplin silent classic.

I'd never seen it before. Loved it, great ending too.

Twes
03-23-2008, 07:43 PM
No Country For Old Men

But I'd have to say I'm still waiting to see the ending.

:wtf::shrug:

N8R
03-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Jumper

Wow where was the plot on this movie. I still dont know. Rachel Bilson is SMOKIN hot though so I can't complain too much

N8R
03-24-2008, 03:55 AM
Just finished There Will Be Blood

Not at all what I was expecting. A little too long for my taste at 2 hours 30 minutes and the music or score was annoying. Not a favourite of mine, that's for sure. I think I was hoping for more Blood and less There Will Be.

cactusjack
03-25-2008, 08:00 AM
No Country For Old Men

But I'd have to say I'm still waiting to see the ending.

:wtf::shrug:

Amen! I rented NCFOM this weekend and loved everything except the ending.:mad: The way they left it hanging makes me suspect a sequel in the near future.

Suaveness
03-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Lost in Translation
Ocean's 11
The Prestige

Twes
03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Amen! I rented NCFOM this weekend and loved everything except the ending.:mad: The way they left it hanging makes me suspect a sequel in the near future.

No Country For Old Men - further thoughts

It's not so much that they left it hanging as they didn't really tell us what was happening. They killed that one guy off without really showing it to us. I don't get that at all. I found it really hard to follow real time.

And who got the money? Did they ever tell us?

I don't mind that the bad guy got away. Hell I loved that. I just thought they could have ended some of the characters better.

Oh well. I'll probably watch it again. I loved it thru the first 2/3. Interesting characters. Plus I'd never seen anyone killed that way.

avoidingtheclowns
03-25-2008, 03:47 PM
SPOILER ALERT No Country For Old Men

It's not so much that they left it hanging as they didn't really tell us what was happening. They killed that one guy off without really showing it to us. I don't get that at all. I found it really hard to follow real time.

And who got the money? Did they ever tell us?

Oh well.

I'll probably watch it again. I loved it thru the first 2/3. Interesting characters. Plus I'd never seen anyone killed that way.

just use the spoiler tag like this

[ spoiler ] information that will spoil [ /spoiler ]

(without the spaces, naturally)

and it will look like...

information that will spoil

Unclebuck
03-25-2008, 03:51 PM
I like endings that are different - I would have been mad if the ending to "No Country" would have been the typical audience tested bad guy gets whats coming to him type ending. I liked the ending and the last scene was a very memorable scene.

There will not be a sequel - not for this type of movie. it is too good for a sequel. I'm sure the Cohen brothers would just laugh at the thought of a sequel

Twes
03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
just use the spoiler tag like this

[ spoiler ] information that will spoil [ /spoiler ]

(without the spaces, naturally)

and it will look like...

information that will spoil

Thank you.

Pig Nash
03-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Miller's Crossing

Liked it a lot, I like how the Coens put their own spin on so many different genres of movies.

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2008, 06:36 AM
Just watched No Country for Old Men.

Really enjoyed it - the ending didn't bother me at all. The story's more about the sherrif than anyone else anyway. We know what happened to him.

bellisimo
03-26-2008, 10:10 AM
as for NCFOM

I thought the sheriff ended up with the money and was pretty much set on retiring...it has been a while since i've seen it..but i left with that feeling...

JayRedd
03-26-2008, 10:40 AM
On No Country...

Chigurh got the money.

Twes
03-26-2008, 12:02 PM
I want to see those myth buster guys test that air can cattlebolt lock picker thing

:cool:

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2008, 01:01 PM
I want to see those myth buster guys test that air can cattlebolt lock picker thing

Well, I dunno about the air tank part of it but the Meats lab I worked at in college had a bolt stunner (they called it a stunner even though it punctured the brain). Ours looked like a pistol though and I think it used a gas cartridge (the prof always used it - never let us try). Worked quite well most of the time on cattle, sheep, etc - plus generally the heart was still beating when you hung 'em up so you got a better bleed.

Of course with this little college Meats lab we pretty much took whatever anyone in the community gave us. One time this cull sow came in - had to be 800 lbs. She wasn't in the best mood when she walked in (small wonder with dead animal carcasses hanging everywhere - I'd have a few nerves too in her place). Anyway, there were two guys hanging onto each ear and the prof pulls out his toy, presses it against her head and pulls the trigger. She lets out a scream and about tosses us all over the place. He looks at the "gun" and mutters, "It didn't go in," which any of us could have told him.

So he presses it against her head again (anyone remember the definition of insanity?). Well, this time it all broke loose. She tossed us off her and started chasing people around the room. The prof dives into his office while we're climbing shelves all over the place - one guy almost jumped into the scald tank but this guy named Klaus saved him.

So we're hanging onto anything we can find to stay off the floor wondering what our next move should be while she's ransacking the place - that was one anti-jovial animal. To shorten a long story, we had to call campus security to come into the meats lab and shoot her.

The moral of this story is that some college legends are actually true.

Twes
03-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Well, I dunno about the air tank part of it but the Meats lab I worked at in college had a bolt stunner (they called it a stunner even though it punctured the brain). Ours looked like a pistol though and I think it used a gas cartridge (the prof always used it - never let us try). Worked quite well most of the time on cattle, sheep, etc - plus generally the heart was still beating when you hung 'em up so you got a better bleed.

Of course with this little college Meats lab we pretty much took whatever anyone in the community gave us. One time this cull sow came in - had to be 800 lbs. She wasn't in the best mood when she walked in (small wonder with dead animal carcasses hanging everywhere - I'd have a few nerves too in her place). Anyway, there were two guys hanging onto each ear and the prof pulls out his toy, presses it against her head and pulls the trigger. She lets out a scream and about tosses us all over the place. He looks at the "gun" and mutters, "It didn't go in," which any of us could have told him.

So he presses it against her head again (anyone remember the definition of insanity?). Well, this time it all broke loose. She tossed us off her and started chasing people around the room. The prof dives into his office while we're climbing shelves all over the place - one guy almost jumped into the scald tank but this guy named Klaus saved him.

So we're hanging onto anything we can find to stay off the floor wondering what our next move should be while she's ransacking the place - that was one anti-jovial animal. To shorten a long story, we had to call campus security to come into the meats lab and shoot her.

The moral of this story is that some college legends are actually true.

That's a freaking great story.

I find it hard to believe there wasn't something in that place that you could have used to put that sow down though.

Come on. An ax or knife or something.

A crow bar.

Twes
03-26-2008, 01:48 PM
I also watched Disturbia last weekend

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
That's a freaking great story.

I find it hard to believe there wasn't something in that place that you could have used to put that sow down though.

Come on. An ax or knife or something.

A crow bar.

I wouldn't have gone close to her for anything - she was running around, doing that barking thing pigs do when they're REALLY pissed, trashing the place.

Sorry - there were plenty of knives but you must have never met a really mad pig.

Twes
03-26-2008, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't have gone close to her for anything - she was running around, doing that barking thing pigs do when they're REALLY pissed, trashing the place.

Sorry - there were plenty of knives but you must have never met a really mad pig.

Obviously Rim you were'nt along when that female trooper pulled me over in Mississippi back in 88.

:evillaugh

DisplacedKnick
03-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Obviously Rim you were'nt along when that female trooper pulled me over in Mississippi back in 88.

:evillaugh

Not touching that one - we've already hijacked this thread enough for one day.

Bball
03-26-2008, 07:21 PM
"Glory"

It had been a long while since I watched that and it was on one of the HD channels the other night (Probably HD Net Movies). Good movie.

It still seems a little strange to see Ferris Beuhler being such a caring and moral person.... But he does a good job and you can almost forget Broderick's Beuhler character.... ;)

DisplacedKnick
03-27-2008, 06:40 AM
American Gangster.

It was OK but that's about it. Didn't give enough depth of character - particularly when he was young - for me. Crowe's character was better but still not terrific.

It just felt like one that missed the mark by enough all the way through to turn what might have been a very good movie into a just OK movie.

Unclebuck
03-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Finally saw "The Illusionist" with Edward Norton. Liked it better than "The Prestige".

Didn't love it though - overall I did enjoy and glad i saw it

rexnom
03-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Finally saw "The Illusionist" with Edward Norton. Liked it better than "The Prestige".

Weird...I actually just caught this too. I enjoyed the Prestige a lot more (I'm a Chris Nolan fan) but I still thought the Illusionist was excellent. Ed Norton looks way too much like Bruno Kirby with a goatee though.

Pig Nash
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
The Big Lebowski

Liked it, a lot.

Can you tell I'm on a Coen Brothers kick?

Gyron
03-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Watched Remember the Titans again. Great movie.

Mourning
03-28-2008, 03:02 PM

Aggreed. To me "The Illusionist" was way better then "The Prestige". Liked the way the story was told better, liked the plot better and I liked the feeling of the movie just much better.

I liked the first hour of "The Prestige" pretty decently until they went way overboard with the copying stuff, totally lost contact with the tune of the movie from that moment on.

Saw "The Invasion" last night. Not a great movie by any accounts, but certainly entertaining and ahemm.... I liked Nicole Kidman very well ... she's certainly aging beautifully... :)

Regards,

Unclebuck
03-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Aggreed. To me "The Illusionist" was way better then "The Prestige". Liked the way the story was told better, liked the plot better and I liked the feeling of the movie just much better.

I liked the first hour of "The Prestige" pretty decently until they went way overboard with the copying stuff, totally lost contact with the tune of the movie from that moment on.

Saw "The Invasion" last night. Not a great movie by any accounts, but certainly entertaining and ahemm.... I liked Nicole Kidman very well ... she's certainly again beautifully... :)

Regards,

I agree with you about "Prestige" and I think right after I saw it I posted in this thread. The last half of it was just too over the top to the point by the end I didn't care anymore, was just glad it was over.

Twes
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
I thought about watching the Illusionist a few times but decided I didn't have it in me to watch 2 magician movies.

I happened to have seen the other one first.

Jose Slaughter
03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
The Mist

Not much into King movies but for some reason I liked this one.

Suaveness
03-28-2008, 04:49 PM
I agree with you about "Prestige" and I think right after I saw it I posted in this thread. The last half of it was just too over the top to the point by the end I didn't care anymore, was just glad it was over.

I felt it was engaging, and sure it was a little confusing, but I thought it was fun trying to figure out what happened. It didn't seem long to me

Erik
03-29-2008, 06:41 PM
The Kite Runner- True story, very good.

Doomsday- So horrible, it is entertaining. It's 'Mad Max' meets 'Ultraviolet' meets 'Robin Hood: Men in Tights' meets 'Aeonflux' meets 300' meets 'Resident Evil' and so on......horrible.

bellisimo
03-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Gone Baby Gone

Interesting movie...not what i expected it to be...a bit slow paced but not boring....

JayRedd
03-29-2008, 09:07 PM
The Big Lebowski

Liked it, a lot.

Amazing. Unequivocally a Top 5 comedy

Suaveness
03-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Support Your Local Sheriff!

Funny movie

DisplacedKnick
03-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Raging Bull. Still probably my favorite boxing movie - Cinderella Man is close though but the B/W sure adds some grittiness to it.

ajbry
03-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Amazing. Unequivocally a Top 5 comedy

Life does not start and stop at your convenience, you miserable piece of *****.

Great movie.

kester99
03-29-2008, 11:51 PM
The Big Lebowski

Liked it, a lot.

I took my daughters to Athens, GA to get the older one's college freshman orientation done last summer. Sunday night. Music town. Where to go to get food, hear music, and maybe daddy can get a beer, too?

They have this place called the kingpin or lucky strike or something...it's a bowling 'lounge'. Eight lanes, two bars, restaurant, band on stage.

It was Big Lebowski night...come as your favorite character. There were dudes, donnies, packs of anarchists...the whole gamut. My daughters had never seen such a place. And they'd never seen the movie either. Since corrected.

Fun stuff. Big points for Dad.

JayRedd
03-30-2008, 03:20 AM
packs of anarchists

They're nihilists.

kester99
03-30-2008, 03:22 AM
yeah...that seemed wrong when I typed it.

duke dynamite
03-30-2008, 04:50 AM
Unfortunately, mine isn't as educationally stimulating as everyone else's. It just happened to be on at 4 in the morning...

American Pie.

N8R
03-30-2008, 04:56 AM
S.W.A.T.

Seen it before and I hope I dont see it again. Just a typical movie in every single way.

Mourning
03-30-2008, 07:11 AM
S.W.A.T.

Seen it before and I hope I dont see it again. Just a typical movie in every single way.

:amen:. Saw "The Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer" yesterday... mmm Alba was nice, but for the rest a very forgettable movie IMO.

N8R
03-30-2008, 07:29 AM
Walk Hard: The Dewy Cox Story

It was alright. I like that Jenna Fisher and I didnt know she was in it. There were a lot of cameos in this one. It seemed to follow and make fun on Johnny Cash a little too much. I mean they could have changed up some of the stuff but it just reminded me of a spoof of musician movies like Walk The Line, Ray etc. I laughed, i cried, it hard its moments.

N8R
03-31-2008, 06:22 AM
August Rush

I liked this movie a lot although I didnt like the ending. I thought they could have gone more into depth on it but the music in it was fantastic and the acting was great.

N8R
03-31-2008, 06:24 AM
Surf's Up

The animated film about the penguins that surf. It was very typical of an animated movie. Family friendly and full of cliches and predictable plot lines. I had the movie figured out well before I saw the ending. It was good for an hour and 18 minute killer though.