PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

N8R
12-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Results 1 - 10 of about 919,000 for Aubrey

Apparently Google has heard of an Aubrey before......

Google kills kittens every time you search something. They have kittens running the whole show and then Google kills them when you search for Aubrey cause they know it is a stupid name. And PS the baseball player has a girls name

Pig Nash
12-12-2007, 01:26 AM
A fake girl's name at that.

bellisimo
12-12-2007, 08:15 AM
Deck the Halls - boring X-Mas movie with cliche feel good vibes...bah-hambug

Gyron
12-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Google kills kittens every time you search something. They have kittens running the whole show and then Google kills them when you search for Aubrey cause they know it is a stupid name. And PS the baseball player has a girls name

Google also kills a kitten everytime Jayredd Masturbates......:-o

Jayredd has committed Kitty Genocide of ungodly levels......:eek:

JayRedd
12-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Google also kills a kitten everytime Jayredd Masturbates......:-o

Jayredd has committed Kitty Genocide of ungodly levels......:eek:

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.

bellisimo
12-13-2007, 07:45 AM
Kickin' it Old Skool - it was a bit corny but definitely had its moments - specially if you're a kid of the 80s...

JayRedd
12-13-2007, 01:14 PM
The Insider
Finally saw this. And WOW, I really messed up by not watching it sooner. Both Russell Crowe and Al Pacino are absolutely stellar, and it's really great to see Al not just rehasing his over-the-top charicature Heat/Scent of a Woman for once in the 1990s.

Christopher Plummer (who I've never heard of) was also money as Mike Wallace. I wonder what Wallace thought of the performance?

The story is great and poignant too (about pulling the veil off of Big Tobacco's lies) and the character arcs are pretty powerful. It's now easily my favorite Michael Mann flick. If you haven't seen this, you really should.

Just a great movie all across the board. Best I've seen in probably six months.

Hoop
12-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Cocaine Cowboys (2006) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0380268/

Very interesting Documentary on ShowTime this month about the drug trade in Miami in the 70's and early 80's.

idioteque
12-15-2007, 01:35 PM
A History of Violence (2005)

It was okay. However most of the mob guys in the movie were especially corny, the boss looked like my plumber. Only the first two mob guys that are harassing the main character at the beginning of the movie seemed interesting.

Interesting movie though, a former mob guy goes into the witness protection program in Indiana, is found by some of his old associates after he becomes a "hero" and makes the national news.

The only real reason I watched the movie is because it took place in Indiana (although I think it was filmed in Canada) and because mob stuff has always interested me. But be forewarned that it isn't even close to being a classic movie like the Godfather or Goodfellas or something.

And at one point you see a road sign in Indiana that says "Philadelphia 647 miles." I have never seen anything like that in Indiana before ;)

idioteque
12-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Apocolypto

Mel Gibson movie that takes place in the Yucatan Peninsula (present day Mexico) in the time period just before and right up to the "discovery" of the area by the Europeans. Not a bad movie but the story correlates VERY closely to Braveheart in some ways, almost too close.

Near the end of the movie, you get a brief look at European explorers coming to the island. You see two Mayan warriors with spears that have been chasing the main character encounter these explorers and are intrigued, and go to their ship. I think this is a very awesome ending because you always see these paintings of guys with spears walking toward European explorers when they first set foot in these areas. But you never think about the story of how these "savages" go to the beach in the first place, it's not like they decided to walk on the beach with spears and look for explorers to meet up with. They were at that beach for a real reason. It gives some new context to such depictions of encounters between explorers and the native people that you don't really think about.

JayRedd
12-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Planet Terror and Death Proof

Preferred Death Proof, but they're both really well done...presuming you accept them for what they are: play offs on 70s B-movie exploitation flicks.

Kurt Russell was particularly good in Death Proof and the car scenes were pretty sick.

As for Planet Terror, exploding zombies are cool and Rose McGowan is a smokestress...even with an automatic weapon as a leg. The guy from No Country For Old Men (can't remember his name) was good too. I think this guy is gonna become an "it" actor now.

N8R
12-15-2007, 06:36 PM
I Am Legend

Very good movie. I actually wanted to see more of it. Had a lot of questions with it right after the movie finished and I was talking about it all that night. Will Smith did an excellent job as he always does and this role was harder because he didn't have other people to play off of being the last man on earth and all. I would suggest that you go out and see this one in theatres.

Chocolate_Thunder53
12-15-2007, 11:13 PM
I Am Legend

Very good movie. I actually wanted to see more of it. Had a lot of questions with it right after the movie finished and I was talking about it all that night. Will Smith did an excellent job as he always does and this role was harder because he didn't have other people to play off of being the last man on earth and all. I would suggest that you go out and see this one in theatres.

Dude! I CANNOT believe I havn't been able to see it. I was gonna see it last, but my girlfriend wasn't able to make it. I can't wait though, the book is pretty darn good too.

Unclebuck
12-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I saw "I am Legend"

It was good, I liked it a lot. More thought provoking than I thought it would be.

it is better to not know much about the movie when you go see it so I won't say much else about it

Squirrelz
12-16-2007, 11:37 AM
No Country For Old Men

ajbry
12-16-2007, 01:49 PM
http://www.thehollywoodnews.com/artman2/uploads/1/iamlegend.jpg

Solid, I personally wouldn't call it "thought-provoking" but it was a pretty good flick. The latter of the movie was littered with predictable, Hollywood-type scenes. Will Smith was great though.

N8R
12-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Fargo

I had seen this before but someone had posted about it in here saying it was a great movie so I had to watch it again. I liked it but I didnt think it was great. Maybe I am not getting something about it.

bellisimo
12-17-2007, 07:19 AM
Beowulf - Sweet Graphics...thought it would've been better if it was not animation.

Euro Trip - Scotty doesn't know scotty doesn't know! :D a friend came over who hadn't seen it before - I had to show him the greatness that is EuroTrip

Transformers - first HD DVD...watching it the second time there were a few things that bugged me...like the Australian chick...but Megan Fox made up for it....still would've preferred if the story revolved around TRANSFORMERS instead of the humans...but maybe it would've just upped the costs of production?

Unclebuck
12-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Fargo

I had seen this before but someone had posted about it in here saying it was a great movie so I had to watch it again. I liked it but I didnt think it was great. Maybe I am not getting something about it.

Watch it again, and keep watching it until you agree it is a great movie.

Just joking with you. A lot of critics have suggested it was one of the best movies of all time. I don't really agree with that, but there are some great and very memorable scenes within the movie and it is the type of movie that can be watched again and again. I would classify it as a very good movie, but not one of my alltime favorites. But anytime I stumble across it, I always enjoy watching it or at least part of it.

Gyron
12-17-2007, 10:34 AM
A christmas carol with George C Scott.

Lord of the Rings I,II,III(They were on TV and I caught brief sniptits of the movies while doing stuff around the house.

JayRedd
12-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Watch it again, and keep watching it until you agree it is a great movie.

And go see No Country For Old Men while you're at it.

I really like Fargo, but No Country is the best Coen Brothers film not named Lebowski. (Haven't seen Miller's Crossing.)

N8R
12-17-2007, 06:11 PM
And go see No Country For Old Men while you're at it.

I really like Fargo, but No Country is the best Coen Brothers film not named Lebowski. (Haven't seen Miller's Crossing.)

I want to see No COuntry for Old Men but I will wait for the DVD of it.

Superbad

Have seen it a few times now. I was waiting for people to come over and just needed something that I didnt have to pay attention to so this movie won out. I think everyone knows what goes on in this movie by now so no more explanation is needed.

Live Free of Die Hard

It was okay. Not as good as the first few of them and not John McLaine is a super hero who can survive ridiculous falls, jump onto Jets, drive anything with wheels and without, and kill people without mercy. I think he would have been suspended from detective work after this movie or at least had a lot of explaining to do seeing as how he single handedly destroyed a city pretty much.

Natston
12-17-2007, 06:26 PM
Galaxy Quest

Always a fun movie to watch and it never gets old. This and Hot Fuzz should be the standard for parodies...

Saw

Was always intrigued by it, and after finally seeing it I have no real intention of watching it again or any seeing any of the sequels.

Natston
12-17-2007, 06:35 PM
A History of Violence (2005)

I think that was one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen... :unimpress

Also... you should enjoy this...
http://www.the-editing-room.com/historyofviolence.html

Trader Joe
12-18-2007, 12:00 AM
Just saw I Am Legend. What a horrible, horrible movie. Plot holes all over the place and just generally a horrible movie. How they managed to get plot holes in the first place is an accomplishment considering there was no plot.

Here are my gripes...

1. Ford product placement
The Shelby Cobra at the beginning is in mint condition. How? And then we never see it again.
Also how did Anna get a spotless Ford to drive to Vermont in. I mean I know product placement is a fact of life in movies now, but this was downright ridiculous.
2. Why is Will Smith immune?
We never find this out. It doesn't make any sense.
3. How did they not find out through 10,009 human tests that this virus turned you into a crazy ****ing animal?
No one had reeacted this way yet? Are you kidding?
4. The government would never fire missiles at New York bridges. Never, ever. I don't care what the circumstances were. Never, ever, ever. I can't say this enough.
5. How does Anna get rid of the zombies when she first finds Will? Did anyone else understand this? She had some magical ray of light I guess. Who knows. It was dumb. How come she doesn't use it when like 1,000 zombies are about to eat them all alive at Will's house?
6. What happened between when his family dies to when we are introduced to Smith's character? This was a span of three years. You're telling me nothing important happened here, but somehow watching Will Smith recite Shrek lines or him hitting golf balls is? Sorry. This movie had ZERO plot development. How did the virus spread? How did Will Smith end up the only man in New York? Etc, etc.
7. The idea that the virus can't survive in Vermont because its sooo much colder than in New York. That doesn't make any sense especially because its SEPTEMBER.
8. How are they supposed to extract the vaccine from the blood sample and then mass produce in a Vermont settlement? Yeah I'm sure they just had that technology lying around.
9. Did I mention that the plot development sucked? Or pretty much was nonexistent.
10. Oh yeah this virus doesn't just make you ****ing insane it also changes your genetic makeup so you can't go out in the sun. Cause that makes sense.
12. I don't know if anyone else noticed it or not, but the disease was basically vampirism. Thats retarded.
13. When the main premise of your movie is that the cure to cancer whill actually be the worst disease ever known to man kind that should be the least believeable part of the movie. Not the most believeable part.
14. Do they really expect me to believe a guy as dumb as Will Smith's character could survive three years? His decisions those last three days were pretty much retarded. They made no sense. How he made it three years is a miracle.
15. Did I mention the plot sucked?

I could go on, but I won't. I tried to like the movie at several parts, but I couldn't.

James Bond
12-18-2007, 12:31 AM
Just saw I Am Legend. What a horrible, horrible movie. Plot holes all over the place and just generally a horrible movie. How they managed to get plot holes in the first place is an accomplishment considering there was no plot.

Here are my gripes...

The Shelby Cobra at the beginning is in mint condition. How? And then we never see it again.
Also how did Anna get a spotless Ford to drive to Vermont in. I mean I know product placement is a fact of life in movies now, but this was downright ridiculous.
3. How did they not find out through 10,009 human tests that this virus turned you into a crazy ****ing animal?
4. The government would never fire missiles at New York bridges. Never, ever. I don't care what the circumstances were. Never, ever, ever. I can't say this enough.
5. How does Anna get rid of the zombies when she first finds Will? Did anyone else understand this? She had some magical ray of light I guess. Who knows. It was dumb. How come she doesn't use it when like 1,000 zombies are about to eat them all alive at Will's house?
6. What happened between when his family dies to when we are introduced to Smith's character? This was a span of three years. You're telling me nothing important happened here, but somehow watching Will Smith recite Shrek lines or him hitting golf balls is? Sorry. This movie had ZERO plot development. How did the virus spread? How did Will Smith end up the only man in New York? Etc, etc.
7. The idea that the virus can't survive in Vermont because its sooo much colder than in New York. That doesn't make any sense especially because its SEPTEMBER.
8. How are they supposed to extract the vaccine from the blood sample and then mass produce in a Vermont settlement? Yeah I'm sure they just had that technology lying around.
9. Did I mention that the plot development sucked? Or pretty much was nonexistent.
10. Oh yeah this virus doesn't just make you ****ing insane it also changes your genetic makeup so you can't go out in the sun. Cause that makes sense.
12. I don't know if anyone else noticed it or not, but the disease was basically vampirism. Thats retarded.
13. When the main premise of your movie is that the cure to cancer whill actually be the worst disease ever known to man kind that should be the least believeable part of the movie. Not the most believeable part.
14. Do they really expect me to believe a guy as dumb as Will Smith's character could survive three years? His decisions those last three days were pretty much retarded. They made no sense. How he made it three years is a miracle.

I could go on, but I won't. I tried to like the movie at several parts, but I couldn't.
Um. I went and saw this movie. I don't agree with more than half the things you said and could go into detail explaining them, but I'm not going to.

I expected more from this movie than I received. I think it was overhyped and only ended up being an average movie.

3 out of 5 for me.

heywoode
12-18-2007, 02:02 AM

Here are my gripes...

1. Product placement is in EVERY movie now. I would get used to that if I were you. I also saw Apple and Verizon, and some foods....Not even gonna mention the product placement of the collection of AR-15's he had...
There are these things called DEALERSHIPS...They keep the cars indoors, and behind glass most of the time. If you would notice, the mint GT500 still had the dealer sticker on the passenger window that he put down for his dog. Same goes for the mint Ford SUV at the end. I'm guessing in the largest city in America, not too hard to find a few mint condition vehicles when all the dealerships were abandoned.
2. Does there have to be a reason that he is immune? He is. Part of the PLOT. You know, that thing you say doesn't exist....Been done lots of times before in lots of apocalypse/virus movies. Generally speaking, with the intricacies of virology, it's not that hard to imagine a certain genetic makeup being resistant/immune to many things. Why is it (in real life) that you sometimes hear of some 100 year old guy that smoked Camel non-filters his whole life and never got cancer? Stuff like that happens.
3. After they mutated the Measles virus, it mutated again, causing said effects, and mutated again to go airborne versus contact-transmitted. Viruses do that. Real life viruses mutate spontaneously to become resistant to the drugs that are prescribed to kill them. It happens in real life, not that hard of a stretch for a movie.
4. I disagree here. It is unlikely, but given the circumstances, not out of the question. The worse problem with this notion is that they remarked about a military quarantine of NYC, yet blowing up the bridges only isolates Manhattan....
5. I assume it was some kind of UV light, but I will give you this one. One would think they might've used it when the darkseekers follow them home and all hell breaks loose. Maybe she left it in the FORD SUV?!
6. I liked the fact that they didn't focus the movie on the havoc of the virus being spread and everyone being killed off. The focus on the movie was Will Smith's character, and his struggle to do his job. It was stated several times that it was Ground Zero, it was his zone. His tapes of newscasts mentioned his name as a possible savior working on a cure, the Time magazine cover on his fridge had him on it, saying Soldier.Scientist.Savior? Even another great movie, 28 Days Later, didn't need to stage all the chaos with the spread of the virus and basically the end of civilization. The PLOT has to do with dealing with it after it has happened. The pattern developing here is that the plot wasn't what you wanted it to be, therefore there was no plot. Not the case.
7. First of all, it was December. Remember Marley whining about her Christmas presents, and the Christmas trees in some of the apartments? The only thing I can say about the virus not surviving in Vermont is that it is far less densely populated and she said it was in the mountains...You know, where there are ski resorts and stuff? Not too many ski resorts in the mountains of New York. Given the less population density, the greater isolation, and the higher elevation of the mountains and the weather conditions of that atmosphere, it would seem that a virus, especially an airborne one, would be easier to contain. The population density would also help contain the contact transmission cases. Not that hard a leap.
8. Will Smith was synthesizing different strains of a cure from his own blood in his basement lab. He was a military virologist. Given the fact that the settlement had a great big wall, with electricity, running water, and all the other comforts of civilization, is it that hard to imagine that they had a working government, and things like a hospital or some kind of clinic or lab? My guess is that they also might have been looking for a cure with the equipment they already had and that it was pretty easy to mass produce a cure with the one blood sample. The military can put together mobile hospitals with rooms sterile enough for surgery, or have you never seen M*A*S*H*? Or Outbreak? Or REAL LIFE military technology?
9. I think I've covered this one already.........
10. I know it is hard to believe, but there are actual conditions in real life where people cannot go out in the sun. UV rays are intense, and for people who are albino or rarer, more extreme versions of pigment related conditions, it can be deadly. Not kidding. Not one bit.
11. Oops, forgot a reason 11, but let's just skip it so there looks like more reasons why the movie sucked....
12. I hadn't noticed. I hate to break it to you, but the movie is a work of FICTION. You know; MADE UP STUFF. Some stuff isn't real....Did you not see the trailer for this before you went to see it? Did you think the monsters were just really irate?
13. Yet again, the virus created to cure cancer MUTATED. The first 10,009 cases were in CLINICAL trials. You know, in a CLINIC. In a controlled environment....I'm guessing that once it was let out for mass consumption, something in the outside environment caused it to mutate, or there was a reaction to the original virus by people with a certain genetic make-up, thereby creating the mutation. Then it mutated again and became airborne....Man this is getting old.....
14. Yeah, he was awfully dumb. He was just a Colonel in the Army and a virologist. He just occupied his time alone by wiring up a bunch of generators to his whole house to make it a civilized environment, created and maintained a lab, synthesized his own blood into dozens of different variations of a compound he was testing on animals (that he had to be smart enough to catch alive) and humans (that he had to be smart enough to catch alive, without getting killed) all the while documenting every single step he took and saving the data on six redundant hard drives, set up a massive perimeter of explosives and lighting to deter the inevitable attack that came, used a map to systematically search areas of the city for survivors and supplies, understood that he needed to retreat to his house in a certain way so as not to be followed and covering up his scent so that couldn't be traced as well....I could go on and on, but what's the point, really?? Well, one last thing on this number...Yes, he was making some questionable decisions toward the end. I still have no idea why he bit on the dummy trap that got his dog killed. He obviously knew that the mannequin was moved for a purpose. I felt immediately that it was a trap. I can only think that maybe he was starting to go a little stir crazy, given that he had been in complete isolation for around three years, facing death by a multitude of ways on a daily (and nightly) basis, while dealing with witnessing the death of his family and still trying to find a cure and accomplish all of the above mentioned things that were necessary for his survival. I equated it immediately to Tom Hanks freaking out when he lost 'Wilson' in Cast Away. Will Smith's character was smart enough to realize the effects of isolation and lack of human interaction because he set up those mannequins and was doing many little things, including the way he talked to his dog, that made him feel like he was still part of a working society...Watching recorded TV, etc...
15. Nope, first I've read that you mentioned that fact.

Sorry to be such an a$$ about it, but it is disheartening to see a movie of such quality get reamed because someone couldn't comprehend the complexity of the story and piece together anything that wasn't directly laid out in visuals.

It isn't the movie of the year, or Oscar caliber, but the only real reason for it is that Oscar never praises movies of this genre, nor do they win many other awards, aside from special effects. In my opinion, movies of this genre, as well done as this one was, are just as worthy as more literary titles that often win the most prizes. Besides, prizes don't make the movie good. They only confirm someone's opinion that it was good.

This story is a timeless classic, as it was a popular and acclaimed piece of literature, and had already been translated to the big screen twice before this version. I will check out the other movies (The Last Man on Earth, and The Omega Man) because it is a very interesting story. My guess is that they will pale in comparison simply because the quality of movie making as a whole has drastically improved in all facets of production. That's not to say there aren't turds still being made, but the good stories of the past are often told much better (and in a much more visually stunning way) now than ever before. I know it is sacrilege to suggest it, but I would welcome the original Star Wars trilogy being remade with current technology. I guarantee that they would KILL.

Oh, and if are giving it a rating, I will go with a 1-10 scale, 10 being the best. I would give this movie an 8, maybe 9. I will own it on DVD the day it comes out. I may go see it at the theater again.

Oh, and the trailer for The Dark Knight kicked *** too. Can't wait to see it. Once again, seems to prove my point about remaking good, old stories with new technology and movie-making mentality. So much more is expected of movies now. Not just visually, but intelligent writing too......

LouisvilleLip
12-18-2007, 02:35 AM
I am Legend looks like crap but then again so do all the movies of that genre.

Trader Joe
12-18-2007, 03:13 AM
1. Product placement is in EVERY movie now. I would get used to that if I were you. I also saw Apple and Verizon, and some foods....Not even gonna mention the product placement of the collection of AR-15's he had...
There are these things called DEALERSHIPS...They keep the cars indoors, and behind glass most of the time. If you would notice, the mint GT500 still had the dealer sticker on the passenger window that he put down for his dog. Same goes for the mint Ford SUV at the end. I'm guessing in the largest city in America, not too hard to find a few mint condition vehicles when all the dealerships were abandoned.
2. Does there have to be a reason that he is immune? He is. Part of the PLOT. You know, that thing you say doesn't exist....Been done lots of times before in lots of apocalypse/virus movies. Generally speaking, with the intricacies of virology, it's not that hard to imagine a certain genetic makeup being resistant/immune to many things. Why is it (in real life) that you sometimes hear of some 100 year old guy that smoked Camel non-filters his whole life and never got cancer? Stuff like that happens.
3. After they mutated the Measles virus, it mutated again, causing said effects, and mutated again to go airborne versus contact-transmitted. Viruses do that. Real life viruses mutate spontaneously to become resistant to the drugs that are prescribed to kill them. It happens in real life, not that hard of a stretch for a movie.
4. I disagree here. It is unlikely, but given the circumstances, not out of the question. The worse problem with this notion is that they remarked about a military quarantine of NYC, yet blowing up the bridges only isolates Manhattan....
5. I assume it was some kind of UV light, but I will give you this one. One would think they might've used it when the darkseekers follow them home and all hell breaks loose. Maybe she left it in the FORD SUV?!
6. I liked the fact that they didn't focus the movie on the havoc of the virus being spread and everyone being killed off. The focus on the movie was Will Smith's character, and his struggle to do his job. It was stated several times that it was Ground Zero, it was his zone. His tapes of newscasts mentioned his name as a possible savior working on a cure, the Time magazine cover on his fridge had him on it, saying Soldier.Scientist.Savior? Even another great movie, 28 Days Later, didn't need to stage all the chaos with the spread of the virus and basically the end of civilization. The PLOT has to do with dealing with it after it has happened. The pattern developing here is that the plot wasn't what you wanted it to be, therefore there was no plot. Not the case.
7. First of all, it was December. Remember Marley whining about her Christmas presents, and the Christmas trees in some of the apartments? The only thing I can say about the virus not surviving in Vermont is that it is far less densely populated and she said it was in the mountains...You know, where there are ski resorts and stuff? Not too many ski resorts in the mountains of New York. Given the less population density, the greater isolation, and the higher elevation of the mountains and the weather conditions of that atmosphere, it would seem that a virus, especially an airborne one, would be easier to contain. The population density would also help contain the contact transmission cases. Not that hard a leap.
8. Will Smith was synthesizing different strains of a cure from his own blood in his basement lab. He was a military virologist. Given the fact that the settlement had a great big wall, with electricity, running water, and all the other comforts of civilization, is it that hard to imagine that they had a working government, and things like a hospital or some kind of clinic or lab? My guess is that they also might have been looking for a cure with the equipment they already had and that it was pretty easy to mass produce a cure with the one blood sample. The military can put together mobile hospitals with rooms sterile enough for surgery, or have you never seen M*A*S*H*? Or Outbreak? Or REAL LIFE military technology?
9. I think I've covered this one already.........
10. I know it is hard to believe, but there are actual conditions in real life where people cannot go out in the sun. UV rays are intense, and for people who are albino or rarer, more extreme versions of pigment related conditions, it can be deadly. Not kidding. Not one bit.
11. Oops, forgot a reason 11, but let's just skip it so there looks like more reasons why the movie sucked....
12. I hadn't noticed. I hate to break it to you, but the movie is a work of FICTION. You know; MADE UP STUFF. Some stuff isn't real....Did you not see the trailer for this before you went to see it? Did you think the monsters were just really irate?
13. Yet again, the virus created to cure cancer MUTATED. The first 10,009 cases were in CLINICAL trials. You know, in a CLINIC. In a controlled environment....I'm guessing that once it was let out for mass consumption, something in the outside environment caused it to mutate, or there was a reaction to the original virus by people with a certain genetic make-up, thereby creating the mutation. Then it mutated again and became airborne....Man this is getting old.....
14. Yeah, he was awfully dumb. He was just a Colonel in the Army and a virologist. He just occupied his time alone by wiring up a bunch of generators to his whole house to make it a civilized environment, created and maintained a lab, synthesized his own blood into dozens of different variations of a compound he was testing on animals (that he had to be smart enough to catch alive) and humans (that he had to be smart enough to catch alive, without getting killed) all the while documenting every single step he took and saving the data on six redundant hard drives, set up a massive perimeter of explosives and lighting to deter the inevitable attack that came, used a map to systematically search areas of the city for survivors and supplies, understood that he needed to retreat to his house in a certain way so as not to be followed and covering up his scent so that couldn't be traced as well....I could go on and on, but what's the point, really?? Well, one last thing on this number...Yes, he was making some questionable decisions toward the end. I still have no idea why he bit on the dummy trap that got his dog killed. He obviously knew that the mannequin was moved for a purpose. I felt immediately that it was a trap. I can only think that maybe he was starting to go a little stir crazy, given that he had been in complete isolation for around three years, facing death by a multitude of ways on a daily (and nightly) basis, while dealing with witnessing the death of his family and still trying to find a cure and accomplish all of the above mentioned things that were necessary for his survival. I equated it immediately to Tom Hanks freaking out when he lost 'Wilson' in Cast Away. Will Smith's character was smart enough to realize the effects of isolation and lack of human interaction because he set up those mannequins and was doing many little things, including the way he talked to his dog, that made him feel like he was still part of a working society...Watching recorded TV, etc...
15. Nope, first I've read that you mentioned that fact.

Sorry to be such an a$$ about it, but it is disheartening to see a movie of such quality get reamed because someone couldn't comprehend the complexity of the story and piece together anything that wasn't directly laid out in visuals.

It isn't the movie of the year, or Oscar caliber, but the only real reason for it is that Oscar never praises movies of this genre, nor do they win many other awards, aside from special effects. In my opinion, movies of this genre, as well done as this one was, are just as worthy as more literary titles that often win the most prizes. Besides, prizes don't make the movie good. They only confirm someone's opinion that it was good.

This story is a timeless classic, as it was a popular and acclaimed piece of literature, and had already been translated to the big screen twice before this version. I will check out the other movies (The Last Man on Earth, and The Omega Man) because it is a very interesting story. My guess is that they will pale in comparison simply because the quality of movie making as a whole has drastically improved in all facets of production. That's not to say there aren't turds still being made, but the good stories of the past are often told much better (and in a much more visually stunning way) now than ever before. I know it is sacrilege to suggest it, but I would welcome the original Star Wars trilogy being remade with current technology. I guarantee that they would KILL.

Oh, and if are giving it a rating, I will go with a 1-10 scale, 10 being the best. I would give this movie an 8, maybe 9. I will own it on DVD the day it comes out. I may go see it at the theater again.

Oh, and the trailer for The Dark Knight kicked *** too. Can't wait to see it. Once again, seems to prove my point about remaking good, old stories with new technology and movie-making mentality. So much more is expected of movies now. Not just visually, but intelligent writing too......

1. I acknowledge that product placement is in every movie, but it can be well done. The mac computer? Fine. A mint condition Shelby Cobra thats been sitting around for three years looking like it just rolled off the assembly line? Sorry thats stupid. No car that sits around anywhere for three years would look like that. Whether it was in a showroom or not. It would get dusty and dirty and not look like it was just washed and waxed.
2. Its pretty weak sauce that they don't give a reason. Also apparently 12 people on the boat Anna was originally on were immune. You're telling me there weren't a few immune people left in NEW YORK CITY other than Will when there are 12 on a boat? Maybe I'm the only one that it bothered, but I thought it made no sense that he would be all alone.
3. This I can buy. Although it still bothers me to a certain extent.
4. It's EXTREMELY unlikely if you ask me. PARTICULARLY when they were still evacuating people. Especially when the people being evacuated are the family of the supposed "savior".
5. Exactly, where was this magical light when the house was being run over? Also how was she able to hide on the pier all night?
6. I didn't think there was much plot. The plot that was there was not what I was expecting to be sure, but there wasn't a whole lot there IMHO. This supposed savior doesn't know about the settlement in Vermont, but Anna does? Come on now. Thats pretty damn silly if you ask me. You would think someone so in the know about the virus would know about settlements and whether or not the virus could survive in the cold. Something it seemed Smith's character did not know and didn't really believe.
7. Yes, fair point on the actual out break being in December. However, the way I heard that dialogue was Anna saying one of the reasons they will be safe in Vermont is because the virus cannot reach them there because it is always so cold.
8. No, I'm not buying that some settlement in Vermont had this technology. Sorry. Especially when doesn't seem that the military is even running it. Its possible, but its a pretty large leap of faith. Especially because the technology needed for this sort of thing would be pretty advanced. I'm not surprised Robert Neville would have it because he is supposed to be the savior. The settlement? Not so much. Its possible I'll give you that, but its a little ridiculous.
9. So do I...
10. Yes, I know this. Believe it or not I do have a brain no matter how much you may disagree. However the movie implies that ANYONE who has the virus cannot go out in the sun or their skin will BURN, and not just severe skin burns, but it will sizzle and cook. Again slightly ridiculous.
11. Oops...I can't count. I don't know how I've even made this far in life.
12. Yeah, its fiction and I know, but it still doesn't change the fact that the disease they described is basically the classic description of vampirism(which is also a fictional concept). Increased strength, increased aggressive, and can't go out in the sun. And holy hell what did the dark seeker that attacked him in his house do? It tried to bite his neck. Sorry they weren't very original in coming up with what the disease did. They ripped off vampirism. I highly doubt I'm the only who saw that connection.
13. Yeah I understand this. My point on this part is that this is probably the most believable part of this movie. Which IMO is a bad thing.
14. I'm not critiquing his credentials in terms of how book smart he is, but man his final three days sure were filled with a lot of poor decisions from a street smarts perspective. Falling for the obvious trap that got his dog killed being exhibit A. Freaking out over bacon is probably exhibit B especially when he should be celebrating the fact that he found other human life.
15. Yawn.

Look I'm glad you liked the movie. Really I am, but I went with two other guys and they both hated it. As did the ten or so other people I heard walking out with the same complaints we have.

Hey, but feel free to question my intelligence and talk down to me because I didn't like a movie that you did. No reason for you to be reasonable about it at all cause I'm just an idiot with bad movie taste.

And please don't apologize for being "an a$$" especially when its clear to everyone that you aren't sincere about it.
You want to question my taste in movies go right ahead especially because movies are 100% opinion oriented and everyone should be entitled to their thoughts on the subject, but DO NOT and I mean DO NOT go questioning my intelligence. It is out of line and extremely disrepectful. Asking me whether or not I knew the movie was fiction? Come on. Does that really help you prove your point? And don't even get me started on this line "There are these things called DEALERSHIPS" Oh no really? Gee whiz thanks for filling me in on this. I've been living in a box for the past 19 years. After reading your post and dissection of my intelligence I'm shocked I ever graduated from Brebeuf Jesuit or got accepted into IU and the Kelley School of Business. I must be one lucky S.O.B. If it seems like I'm a little ticked about your tone it would be because I am. In my original post, NO WHERE do I question the level of intelligence of someone who might like the film. However almost immediately in your reply you question mine. I don't even know where that came from. Believe it or not, you might find this a quality film and so will others, but there will be lots of people like me who don't think its a quality film and who didn't like it. That does not make us stupid.

TheDon
12-18-2007, 08:41 AM
There were quite a few plotholes in "I Am Legend" whether it was for the intent of debate or just shoddy writing is purely speculation. The movie other than the basic framework is nothing like the book which is often the case, so don't go looking to the book for answers to fill in things that were questionable in the movie, you won't find them. That's not saying the book is a bad read either, the movie just goes in a completely opposite direction of the book, characters are missing, storyline gets twisted around, bits and pieces of the book are borrowed but not as emphasized in the movie, ending is different...etc.

That being said if you go to this movie with the mindset for pure entertainment I think you'll be pretty content with the movie. If you go to this movie with the mindset of "oh whatever we're supposed to believe..." or "no way that could ever happen" you'll probably be disappointed.

I think part of the problem is for whatever reason this particular genre of movies makes it harder for people to suspend disbelief in some instances to enjoy the quality of the show. If you go and watch action movies, lets say Die Hard movies for example and see how John Mcclain lives through the most insane events you usually see people cheer instead of people saying "whatever he should have been dead 80 times over by this point".

Overall on a 1-10 scale i'd give this movie a 7. Not the best movie i've ever seen, It had its moments and kept me in suspense for a good portion of the movie, Will Smith did a great job with his acting.
I am glad with one the director calls that they didn't overly-emphasize the vampiric qualities of the infected people like the book does where neville is basically a vampire hunter and kills them while they sleep during the day and hangs things like crosses, mirrors and garlic on his house to deter the things at night it would have been way too cheesy and like any other vampire movie

N8R
12-18-2007, 09:01 AM
I liked I Am Legend and I agree with Heywoode fully on what he stated and disagree with most of what Indy said. I would go into details but I am tired and about to sleep. That and I think Heywoode already went through point by point what Indy said was pretty much wrong.

heywoode
12-18-2007, 09:40 AM
1. I acknowledge that product placement is in every movie, but it can be well done. The mac computer? Fine. A mint condition Shelby Cobra thats been sitting around for three years looking like it just rolled off the assembly line? Sorry thats stupid. No car that sits around anywhere for three years would look like that. Whether it was in a showroom or not. It would get dusty and dirty and not look like it was just washed and waxed.
2. Its pretty weak sauce that they don't give a reason. Also apparently 12 people on the boat Anna was originally on were immune. You're telling me there weren't a few immune people left in NEW YORK CITY other than Will when there are 12 on a boat? Maybe I'm the only one that it bothered, but I thought it made no sense that he would be all alone.
3. This I can buy. Although it still bothers me to a certain extent.
4. It's EXTREMELY unlikely if you ask me. PARTICULARLY when they were still evacuating people. Especially when the people being evacuated are the family of the supposed "savior".
5. Exactly, where was this magical light when the house was being run over? Also how was she able to hide on the pier all night?
6. I didn't think there was much plot. The plot that was there was not what I was expecting to be sure, but there wasn't a whole lot there IMHO. This supposed savior doesn't know about the settlement in Vermont, but Anna does? Come on now. Thats pretty damn silly if you ask me. You would think someone so in the know about the virus would know about settlements and whether or not the virus could survive in the cold. Something it seemed Smith's character did not know and didn't really believe.
7. Yes, fair point on the actual out break being in December. However, the way I heard that dialogue was Anna saying one of the reasons they will be safe in Vermont is because the virus cannot reach them there because it is always so cold.
8. No, I'm not buying that some settlement in Vermont had this technology. Sorry. Especially when doesn't seem that the military is even running it. Its possible, but its a pretty large leap of faith. Especially because the technology needed for this sort of thing would be pretty advanced. I'm not surprised Robert Neville would have it because he is supposed to be the savior. The settlement? Not so much. Its possible I'll give you that, but its a little ridiculous.
9. So do I...
10. Yes, I know this. Believe it or not I do have a brain no matter how much you may disagree. However the movie implies that ANYONE who has the virus cannot go out in the sun or their skin will BURN, and not just severe skin burns, but it will sizzle and cook. Again slightly ridiculous.
11. Oops...I can't count. I don't know how I've even made this far in life.
12. Yeah, its fiction and I know, but it still doesn't change the fact that the disease they described is basically the classic description of vampirism(which is also a fictional concept). Increased strength, increased aggressive, and can't go out in the sun. And holy hell what did the dark seeker that attacked him in his house do? It tried to bite his neck. Sorry they weren't very original in coming up with what the disease did. They ripped off vampirism. I highly doubt I'm the only who saw that connection.
13. Yeah I understand this. My point on this part is that this is probably the most believable part of this movie. Which IMO is a bad thing.
14. I'm not critiquing his credentials in terms of how book smart he is, but man his final three days sure were filled with a lot of poor decisions from a street smarts perspective. Falling for the obvious trap that got his dog killed being exhibit A. Freaking out over bacon is probably exhibit B especially when he should be celebrating the fact that he found other human life.
15. Yawn.

Look I'm glad you liked the movie. Really I am, but I went with two other guys and they both hated it. As did the ten or so other people I heard walking out with the same complaints we have.

Hey, but feel free to question my intelligence and talk down to me because I didn't like a movie that you did. No reason for you to be reasonable about it at all cause I'm just an idiot with bad movie taste.

And please don't apologize for being "an a$$" especially when its clear to everyone that you aren't sincere about it.
You want to question my taste in movies go right ahead especially because movies are 100% opinion oriented and everyone should be entitled to their thoughts on the subject, but DO NOT and I mean DO NOT go questioning my intelligence. It is out of line and extremely disrepectful. Asking me whether or not I knew the movie was fiction? Come on. Does that really help you prove your point? And don't even get me started on this line "There are these things called DEALERSHIPS" Oh no really? Gee whiz thanks for filling me in on this. I've been living in a box for the past 19 years. After reading your post and dissection of my intelligence I'm shocked I ever graduated from Brebeuf Jesuit or got accepted into IU and the Kelley School of Business. I must be one lucky S.O.B. If it seems like I'm a little ticked about your tone it would be because I am. In my original post, NO WHERE do I question the level of intelligence of someone who might like the film. However almost immediately in your reply you question mine. I don't even know where that came from. Believe it or not, you might find this a quality film and so will others, but there will be lots of people like me who don't think its a quality film and who didn't like it. That does not make us stupid.

Now it has devolved into trying to convince YOU that the movie was good. My first post was just responding to your obvious mistakes with critiquing the movie plot and reasoning. I can live with the fact that you didn't like it, but to say it sucked for the reasons you give...that is what bothered me. Frankly, given the level of reasoning I saw in your description/gripe about the movie, I don't know what to believe about your intelligence level. I'm not saying you're stupid, I'm just saying I don't know.

Fine. You got into IU and Kelly. So have hundreds of thousands of other people. I really hope it works out for you. Both are fine schools and you should go far if you do well there. More power to you. Good luck and stay focused with what matters. It is easy to lose sight of that in Bloomington, especially during Little 5 weekend or when the Hoosiers are doing well in the polls.

I'm not going to bother with counterpointing your counterpoints, because it has gotten ridiculous, and if you have to be spoonfed the idea of the movie, then you obviously aren't going to get it when I spell it out either.

I'm sorry for insulting your intelligence. I honestly do mean it. It is, after all, just a matter of opinion about the quality of a movie. I honestly didn't mean to make it so personal. Again, I apologize for doing so. I can agree that we agree to disagree and move on. I'm not trying to end the conversation; if you have more to say, I'm here to listen. I was just giving you the opportunity to end it.

heywoode
12-18-2007, 10:04 AM
There were quite a few plotholes in "I Am Legend" whether it was for the intent of debate or just shoddy writing is purely speculation. The movie other than the basic framework is nothing like the book which is often the case, so don't go looking to the book for answers to fill in things that were questionable in the movie, you won't find them. That's not saying the book is a bad read either, the movie just goes in a completely opposite direction of the book, characters are missing, storyline gets twisted around, bits and pieces of the book are borrowed but not as emphasized in the movie, ending is different...etc.

That being said if you go to this movie with the mindset for pure entertainment I think you'll be pretty content with the movie. If you go to this movie with the mindset of "oh whatever we're supposed to believe..." or "no way that could ever happen" you'll probably be disappointed.

I think part of the problem is for whatever reason this particular genre of movies makes it harder for people to suspend disbelief in some instances to enjoy the quality of the show. If you go and watch action movies, lets say Die Hard movies for example and see how John Mcclain lives through the most insane events you usually see people cheer instead of people saying "whatever he should have been dead 80 times over by this point".

Overall on a 1-10 scale i'd give this movie a 7. Not the best movie i've ever seen, It had its moments and kept me in suspense for a good portion of the movie, Will Smith did a great job with his acting.
I am glad with one the director calls that they didn't overly-emphasize the vampiric qualities of the infected people like the book does where neville is basically a vampire hunter and kills them while they sleep during the day and hangs things like crosses, mirrors and garlic on his house to deter the things at night it would have been way too cheesy and like any other vampire movie

I can live with this assessment.

I heard that the book takes place in a third world country, so I was expecting a lot of differences. I like the premise behind the movie. I've always been fascinated with the idea of the apocalypse. Not sure if it is a morbid curiosity or my own way of dealing with the obviousness of dying someday, but the subject interests me.

Without revealing your spoiler, that is good to know about the book and I'm glad the director chose not to portray Neville that way also....

Trader Joe
12-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I really don't think my complaints are that far off base. I felt at times like the directors weren't sure what genre of movie they wanted it to be. At times it felt too much like a lets make the screen really dark or play some music and then something will jump out at you horror style of movie. I really don't enjoy those.
In closing, I'll just finish by saying that it wasn't what I was expecting and that threw me of a little bit. I was expecting it to be more focused on character development and it seemed more focused on shock value. A lot of my complaints could have been gotten rid of in 10-20 minutes of extra film time that tied up some loose ends. The movie was only an hour and forty minutes or so and 10-20 minutes of extra story wouldn't have hurt anyone.

Also my buddy and I were discussing this what was the stuff he poured on his steps? I thought it was something to mask his scent and that it was a chemical. My buddy thought it was vinegar. Anyone know for sure?

heywoode
12-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I really don't think my complaints are that far off base. I felt at times like the directors weren't sure what genre of movie they wanted it to be. At times it felt too much like a lets make the screen really dark or play some music and then something will jump out at you horror style of movie. I really don't enjoy those.
In closing, I'll just finish by saying that it wasn't what I was expecting and that threw me of a little bit. I was expecting it to be more focused on character development and it seemed more focused on shock value. A lot of my complaints could have been gotten rid of in 10-20 minutes of extra film time that tied up some loose ends. The movie was only an hour and forty minutes or so and 10-20 minutes of extra story wouldn't have hurt anyone.

Also my buddy and I were discussing this what was the stuff he poured on his steps? I thought it was something to mask his scent and that it was a chemical. My buddy thought it was vinegar. Anyone know for sure?

I would've liked the movie to be longer, just so there could be more of it....The movie made me think about how some things happened and left some things to the imagination. That is what made it so powerful for me. I like movies like Die Hard and the same, but movies that make me think have a much greater impact on me.

It was definitely vinegar he was spraying on the steps. He also sprayed it on his jacket before he went to trap that last darkseeker, when he busted his vial of blood and then the leader darkseeker exposed himself to daylight for a few seconds to growl at him....
I assumed that is why he went the roundabout way to get home, and why he was searching buildings ripping down blinds and exposing the building interior to light. He was establishing a safe zone around his home with buildings that the darkseekers wouldn't be occupying, then he would maze his way home and cover his tracks with vinegar so that his scent would be gone when night fell...He told Anna to not let then track them and to stay out until dawn, but she didn't listen....That is how they found his house.

Natston
12-18-2007, 10:30 PM
I am Legend

Liked it for the most part, but it was torn between a pop-corn action movie and a M.Night movie. Honestly I wished it leaned closer to the latter and away from monsters (CGI ones at that), but you know a movie that big has to have the 'OMG WTF' sequences to draw viewers.

Also the mannequin sequence needed more disclosure. It seemed almost like it was his own trap (as it was set up like his trap to catch that chick), and he got lost in the moment maybe. I don't really know, it seemed implied that the 'others' were unable to do something like that.

heywoode
12-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I am Legend

Liked it for the most part, but it was torn between a pop-corn action movie and a M.Night movie. Honestly I wished it leaned closer to the latter and away from monsters (CGI ones at that), but you know a movie that big has to have the 'OMG WTF' sequences to draw viewers.

Also the mannequin sequence needed more disclosure. It seemed almost like it was his own trap (as it was set up like his trap to catch that chick), and he got lost in the moment maybe. I don't really know, it seemed implied that the 'others' were unable to do something like that.

Unless he moved 'Hank' the mannequin himself and set that trap and then forgot about it, I think that the "leader" darkseeker set the trap. That mannequin was placed outside the video store or as the cashier, one or the other...The trap mannequin had on the sweatshirt that he remarked on as he was entering the video store, but then he called the clerk Hank and the trap mannequin Hank...I think the leader darkseeker had gotten smarter, or had not lost all intelligence (especially given the scarcity of food, it re-evolved to be more intelligent and catch food?) and it set the trap for him, especially given that he hung in the trap until dusk and then that same darkseeker from the tunnel was right there as the sun was dwindling to release the mutant dogs....Am I crazy? It seems that it has to be that the smart darkseeker took the mannequin from the video store and placed it there with the trap, especially given that he had seen firsthand how the trap was set and sprung when Neville caught the female darkseeker right in front of him...

Trader Joe
12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
The lead dark seeker definetely set the Hank trap. It was almost an exact replica of the sort of trap Smith used to catch the woman dark seeker. Only it had Hank as the bait instead of blood. I think it was to show that the darkseekers were still very smart. Especially because only a day befoe Smith had remarked that the dark seekers were no longer capable of anything resembling a human I.E human thought. Which the trap showed clearly was not the case.
Also I think Smith captured the lead dark seekers wife which is why he was so intent on attacking him.

ajbry
12-19-2007, 12:17 AM
During one of the intentionally "scary" scenes - where the zombies or whatever the hell they were with their non-human strength, speed, and hops - a girl in the row behind me literally shrieked out loud and jumped out of her damn seat.

Otherwise I tend to agree with Indy on his criticisms but honestly I didn't anticipate the movie was going to make logical sense, so it doesn't really matter to me. I still enjoyed it and thought it was a solid flick with a great performance by Smith.

The pacing was my main complaint. The first half was really well done and then it oddly begins switching from forced humor to fear and everything in between. Just threw everything off and there were several times where the movie seemed like it was a Hollywood production - particularly that corny *** butterfly thing.

James Bond
12-19-2007, 12:32 AM
I am Legend

I agree. I was very confused on this point. It NEVER explained that part, and I started that I was going insane right along with Will Smith. Also, two things, One, why didn't they use the helicopters that were sitting on that boat? they looked like they were in decent working order.. and why did he not through that grenade through the crack in the window? It looked big enough. Again, I still think that I was expecting too much from the movie. idk..

TheDon
12-19-2007, 12:54 AM
I heard that the book takes place in a third world country

Actually it takes place in Los Angeles or more specifically a suburb of Los Angeles.

TheDon
12-19-2007, 01:22 AM
I agree. I was very confused on this point. It NEVER explained that part, and I started that I was going insane right along with Will Smith. Also, two things, One, why didn't they use the helicopters that were sitting on that boat? they looked like they were in decent working order.. and why did he not through that grenade through the crack in the window? It looked big enough. Again, I still think that I was expecting too much from the movie. idk..

in reguards to that scene, i've had this discussion with one of my friends after we got out of the movie.

it's kind of one of the scenes I was referring to when I was talking about plotholes that the writers either just did a really crappy job of conveying to the audience or it was written to open up discussion and be thought provoking like UB suggested.

In my opinion the monsters were the ones that set that trap.

1. I doubt it was coincidence that one scene before they showed neville catching one of the monsters that could have been that recurring dominant monster's mate

2. Neville only set up traps when he deemed it necessary as he tested things on animals and then he said "ready for human testing" he didn't need to set up another trap.

3. If he had set up that trap for a monster it would been waiting there for him in the morning when the sun was out the monster would have been fried and of no use for him.

4. absence of a tarp in the trap that tarp acted as two things to keep the monster from getting cooked in the sun and a shield. I wouldn't have wanted to go up and try to subdue one of those things while it dangling by its leg. To the monsters it would have been a non-issue

5. I took it that this was kind of an eye for an eye act that the monster was doing. Neville took his girl, so the monster took nevilles girl(the dogs name was samantha), although this point takes quite a leap of faith in that the monsters are able to comprehend revenge and still have some semblance of human intelligence left that neville who is slowly going insane himself never gives them credit for.

6. Absence of blood. Neville used his own blood as bait in the first trap we saw him construct, it's true he bled in the trap but it wasn't till after he cracked his head on the pavement.

I suppose the only argument there that it wasn't the monsters trap is whether or not you're willing to believe the monsters were smart enough to construct a rope-pulley system and pick out one of the mannequins that they knew he would recognize and plant it somewhere he would recognize it and react the way he did. Although I think it was clear they were a lot smarter than Neville who was slowly going insane from lack of a social life was giving the monsters credit for.

heywoode
12-19-2007, 03:32 PM
in reguards to that scene, i've had this discussion with one of my friends after we got out of the movie.

it's kind of one of the scenes I was referring to when I was talking about plotholes that the writers either just did a really crappy job of conveying to the audience or it was written to open up discussion and be thought provoking like UB suggested.

In my opinion the monsters were the ones that set that trap.

1. I doubt it was coincidence that one scene before they showed neville catching one of the monsters that could have been that recurring dominant monster's mate

2. Neville only set up traps when he deemed it necessary as he tested things on animals and then he said "ready for human testing" he didn't need to set up another trap.

3. If he had set up that trap for a monster it would been waiting there for him in the morning when the sun was out the monster would have been fried and of no use for him.

4. absence of a tarp in the trap that tarp acted as two things to keep the monster from getting cooked in the sun and a shield. I wouldn't have wanted to go up and try to subdue one of those things while it dangling by its leg. To the monsters it would have been a non-issue

5. I took it that this was kind of an eye for an eye act that the monster was doing. Neville took his girl, so the monster took nevilles girl(the dogs name was samantha), although this point takes quite a leap of faith in that the monsters are able to comprehend revenge and still have some semblance of human intelligence left that neville who is slowly going insane himself never gives them credit for.

6. Absence of blood. Neville used his own blood as bait in the first trap we saw him construct, it's true he bled in the trap but it wasn't till after he cracked his head on the pavement.

I suppose the only argument there that it wasn't the monsters trap is whether or not you're willing to believe the monsters were smart enough to construct a rope-pulley system and pick out one of the mannequins that they knew he would recognize and plant it somewhere he would recognize it and react the way he did. Although I think it was clear they were a lot smarter than Neville who was slowly going insane from lack of a social life was giving the monsters credit for.

I agree with your reasoning.

I also think that after three years the darkseekers were re-evolving to be able to be smarter about catching food as it became scarce. Even though they were exhibiting no human social behavior, their brains could still function enough to set the trap, or at least the one could. And he was pissed that Neville stole his woman.

I assumed that he simply couldn't fly helicopters or planes. Or that he was focused in his zone and didn't want to go searching outside the city for survivors. Or something else maybe...

I also wondered about the grenade. I liked the part about his daughter talking about the butterfly and they kept telling her to shut up and then Anna told him that the world was quieter and now you could hear God speak if you listened. Once he saw the butterfly on Anna's neck, I think he knew what his fate would be......I still woulda thrown the grenade through the window and dove into the coal chute, but hey.....he was more of a hero (i.e. Legend) if he gave his life.

Trader Joe
12-19-2007, 04:10 PM
I assumed that none of the planes were usable. I think all of the planes on that boat he was on (when hes hitting the golfballs) were just for show. A tourist attraction basically.

heywoode
12-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I assumed that none of the planes were usable. I think all of the planes on that boat he was on (when hes hitting the golfballs) were just for show. A tourist attraction basically.

You are correct on that notion. I think it is the USS Intrepid that is a museum......Even if there were planes at some military base somewhere, not sure if he just wasn't motivated enough to leave NYC to find and use them or if he just wasn't a pilot.

Natston
12-19-2007, 04:33 PM
and why did he not through that grenade through the crack in the window? It looked big enough. Again, I still think that I was expecting too much from the movie. idk..

I don't remember there being any cracks, just the glass being broken but in place until they busted through...

Natston
12-19-2007, 04:33 PM

Yeah I wondered that as well because the plane that he was hitting golf balls off of was so fake it had to be either a very cheap 'real jet' or a very effective 'fake jet'.

But every attack by the monsters was gang bang style at night, it would seem weird that of a sudden they set a trap at night using tools n' such to trap him. Even their attack on his house was the same ole group bum rush at night. I'm not saying they didn't do it, but my first reaction was that they didn't.

Natston
12-19-2007, 04:35 PM
You are correct on that notion. I think it is the USS Intrepid that is a museum......Even if there were planes at some military base somewhere, not sure if he just wasn't motivated enough to leave NYC to find and use them or if he just wasn't a pilot.

The recurring theme through out the movie was that he didn't want to leave, so pilot or not I don't think he would've used them.

JayRedd
12-19-2007, 04:41 PM
When did this thread turn into the Pentagon files?

Natston
12-19-2007, 04:47 PM
When did this thread turn into the Pentagon files?

It is a direct response to the people who don't ignore threads when they are told to do so.

heywoode
12-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah I wondered that as well because the plane that he was hitting golf balls off of was so fake it had to be either a very cheap 'real jet' or a very effective 'fake jet'.

But every attack by the monsters was gang bang style at night, it would seem weird that of a sudden they set a trap at night using tools n' such to trap him. Even their attack on his house was the same ole group bum rush at night. I'm not saying they didn't do it, but my first reaction was that they didn't.

There is obviously a real jet that has been decommissioned and put out for display on the deck of the real USS Intrepid in NYC, not sure if they actually had him up on it or if it was all CGI work.

I think up until Neville pissed off the leader darkseeker, they were content to attack bumrush style because it worked on most prey and they didn't need to learn differently. When the leader saw Neville trap his woman, he learned pretty quickly, IMO.
The attack on the house was orchestrated by the leader IMO. He didn't rush right in. He sent the pawns to take out the lights and then get blown to hell. Then he came in and was the only one attacking Neville directly. Even in the lab, the leader pushed several other darkseekers out of the way and went after the glass/Neville by himself. I think it became personal for the leader darkseeker when Neville captured his wife. Didn't Neville still have the wife strapped to the gurney inside the glass at the end? Maybe the leader wanted his woman back....??

This is another reason I liked the movie so much. The movie couldn't have been too bad if it has caused this much discussion. I like Die hard type movies where you get done and you know you just got entertained and there isn't much left to think about, but thinker/action movies are the best!

Just my opinion, of course.

ajbry
12-19-2007, 05:18 PM
To be honest, I hadn't thought the monsters or whatever had still maintained social ties to one another, such as caring about a partner. It just would seem out of character given their constant ferocity and the fact that their aggressiveness put them in situations where they could be killed easily by Neville or any normal human. Maybe it's just me. I had assumed that, along with their inability to deal with light, that given their newly-found quest for blood, their relationships had fallen to the wayside.

N8R
12-20-2007, 08:56 AM
I think that the female nightseeker was the Leaders woman. I thought as soon as it happened and I had wondered if Neville had just given her back if the Leader would have calmed down a little bit. And a few show spoilers ago someone mentioned not seeing a crack in the glass but there was a triangular shaped piece that broke out that would have easily fit a hand and I thought the grenade was going right through it when that happened.

Also the leader did send the minions into the house first and the one was ripping a hole in the ceiling so that the rest of them could go straight through the roof into the house.

The trap was definitely set up by the nightseekers but I too was wondering what was happening with that and was surprised they allowed the nightseekers to seem so intelligent on that point. And the manequin seemed like it was moving at certain points when they showed it. My one friend I went to go see it with noticed that as well.

As far as the flying I just assumed he wasn't a pilot more than he didn't want to fly out of there although the not wanting to leave because it was ground zero is a very valid point and I would believe that just as much as not being a pilot.

Still a very good movie. The more I talk about it the more I want to see it again.

sweabs
12-20-2007, 01:29 PM
A Christmas Story - My favourite Christmas movie. I watch it before Christmas every year.

The Nanny Diaries - Um........yeah...

James Bond
12-20-2007, 01:47 PM
A Christmas Story - My favourite Christmas movie. I watch it before Christmas every year.

I actually somewhat saw The Nanny Diaries, my fam was watching it while I was on the computer. It actually seemed reasonably funny.

JayRedd
12-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Thirteen Days.

It's from like 2000 and about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Really, really good, IMO.

I think it got panned quite a bit for Kevin Costner's horrible accent at the time, but the guys playing Bobby and JFK were really amazing. And seeing as how the story is about perhaps the most critical decisison in the history of human civilization it's pretty compelling all around.

I was rather impressed how steadfastly they just stayed to the crisis and the timeline of events and, aside from a few minutes worth of Costner family time, didn't put in any cheesy melodrama. It really is just all business, all the time. Of course, it's not like the director needed to add anything to increase the emotional significance of an outcome that may have spared the lives of tens to hundreds of millions of people, but given the state of Hollywood nowadays, it's still surprising that some executive didn't decide to add a sub-plot about a sick pony or a potentially ruined wedding day.

Anyway, if you at all are into history and/or politics you should definitely check this one out.

heywoode
12-20-2007, 04:22 PM

TNT here in the States shows A Christmas Story for 24 hours straight on or near Christmas Eve every year. It is my favorite Christmas movie as well....

Oh, and you are GAY. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Natston
12-20-2007, 05:00 PM
Shrek 2

Took a bit to get into it, but it finally caught on.

Shrek 3

Was caught on, but it wore on me. The humor was still there, but do we really need the same message over and over?

The Truman Show

Not the best movie by any means but always a fun movie to watch...

Mourning
12-20-2007, 08:03 PM
Thirteen Days.

It's from like 2000 and about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Really, really good, IMO.

I think it got panned quite a bit for Kevin Costner's horrible accent at the time, but the guys playing Bobby and JFK were really amazing. And seeing as how the story is about perhaps the most critical decisison in the history of human civilization it's pretty compelling all around.

I was rather impressed how steadfastly they just stayed to the crisis and the timeline of events and, aside from a few minutes worth of Costner family time, didn't put in any cheesy melodrama. It really is just all business, all the time. Of course, it's not like the director needed to add anything to increase the emotional significance of an outcome that may have spared the lives of tens to hundreds of millions of people, but given the state of Hollywood nowadays, it's still surprising that some executive didn't decide to add a sub-plot about a sick pony or a potentially ruined wedding day.

Anyway, if you at all are into history and/or politics you should definitely check this one out.

Yeah, liked "Thirteen days" aswell. "The Insider" was great too btw. I personally really like "Bloody Sunday" and "Traffic" aswell.

Hope to be seeying "The Golden Age" this weekend.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Suaveness
12-20-2007, 11:13 PM
The Prestige

Very complicating, but I thought it was very well done and entertaining. This was my 2nd go through of it, which helps.

James Bond
12-21-2007, 01:44 AM
btw all,
Went and saw I Am Legend again.
Much better the second time.
It seemed like after discussing it and debating it, I was able to comprehend everything much easier and it became less, "wait, what" and more "oh, so thats what he means" and
btw
The album he references to Anna is the Bob Marley Legend album.. Just some play on words there.
and
When talking to Sam while picking corn in the scene right before she is killed, she sees a butterfly in the field. Maybe some foresight?

heywoode
12-21-2007, 10:08 AM
btw all,
Went and saw I Am Legend again.
Much better the second time.
It seemed like after discussing it and debating it, I was able to comprehend everything much easier and it became less, "wait, what" and more "oh, so thats what he means" and
btw
The album he references to Anna is the Bob Marley Legend album.. Just some play on words there.
and
When talking to Sam while picking corn in the scene right before she is killed, she sees a butterfly in the field. Maybe some foresight?

I downloaded a crappy cam of it and have watched it three or four times again...I agree that after debating and discussing it is much more enjoyable. I knew the first time I saw it that it was the kind of movie that had much more going on than I could comprehend in one sitting....

I loved the Bob Marley play....that is why it is I Am Legend for the title. He was trying to cure the world, just like Bob Marley. I loved that angle, and it is the little things like that that make the movie so much more than what it seems on the surface....

I wanted to clarify also that the trap mannequin was Fred, not Hank. Fred was the hoodie mannequin outside the video store, and that was the one that was moved and rigged with the trap, Hank was the video store clerk....I still have no doubts that the darkseeker set the trap for him.

I hadn't really picked up the butterfly when he was picking corn, but now that you mention it, that is absolutely foreshadowing and another nice recurring theme. I cannot wait to own this movie on DVD.......

LouisvilleLip
12-21-2007, 04:20 PM
I am Legend. 4/10

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 8.5/10

heywoode
12-21-2007, 05:55 PM
I am Legend. 4/10

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead - 8.5/10

1 being the best?! :D:-p

N8R
12-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I am currently trying to download a screener version of I Am Legend. If it turns out well I will let people know. I just need to see this movie again so I too can comprehend it better.

Hicks
12-21-2007, 08:47 PM
I Am Legend.

It was OK. Part interesting, part sad, part "damn it stop making me jump at ****".

I didn't see room to throw the grenade through the glass.

Also, like naturallystoned my initial impression was he was in a state of delusion and momentarily lost track of the trap that ultimately cost him Sam. But now that someone's mentioned the lack of a tarp, I now believe it was supposed to be the lead monster, who seemed a little more intelligent.

I'm not sure I buy that the woman was his girlfriend, but it could be since they were near one another.

James Bond
12-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I have plenty more to say about I Am Legend, but I feel like now I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. So I will say no more on this topic.

Well, one last thing.
I double checked the grenade thing when I watched the second time, just because someone said that they didn't see the crack, and yes, there was a large crack that a piece of glass fell out of. And it looked definitely big enough to throw the grenade through.

heywoode
12-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I am currently trying to download a screener version of I Am Legend. If it turns out well I will let people know. I just need to see this movie again so I too can comprehend it better.

I hate to turn this into a forum for filesharing, but I found a great quality dvdscr screener of this movie. They are definitely out there. 700mb file and it looks great on my 55 inch! PM me if you wish to discuss!

heywoode
12-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Yeah, I have plenty more to say about I Am Legend, but I feel like now I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing. So I will say no more on this topic.

Well, one last thing.
I double checked the grenade thing when I watched the second time, just because someone said that they didn't see the crack, and yes, there was a large crack that a piece of glass fell out of. And it looked definitely big enough to throw the grenade through.

Hey, don't feel like you're arguing at all! Feel free to start a thread for that movie all by itself with a big disclaimer about spoilers (people can have nobody to blame by themselves if they read it then!) and we can stop using those darn spoiler tags and have some easy conversations! I have the ability to watch it ad nauseum (and I have been; I'm going to subject my wife to it later tonight after the kids go to bed!) so I would be glad to discuss it further.

Some of the discussion that has taken place already has enlightened me on certain things, so I would love to go further...Now that I think about it, I will start that thread I was talking about....

Stryder
12-22-2007, 07:10 AM
I think we are overanalyzing a mediocre movie...

bellisimo
12-22-2007, 08:12 AM
Just saw The Legend - I was liking the movie till the ending which made me go...WTF? thats it? It felt like as if they just lost a few hundred pages of the script and just tried to do a patch job to wrap it up...

TheDon
12-22-2007, 09:53 AM
I really feel like i've argued this movie into the ground on certain topics and pehaps over-analyzed a bit. On the other hand I was enjoying this thread and the discussion it brought up, so I'm kind of torn. I hope there's another movie that comes up soon that brings up some good discussion again :)

edit: anybody hear anything about that movie coming out called "cloverfield"?

bellisimo
12-22-2007, 06:48 PM
i do have to give "I am Legend" a credit for creating such lenghty discussions...not within the PD only but in most areas...

sounds like its almost going to live up to its name ;)

heywoode
12-23-2007, 12:23 AM
I really feel like i've argued this movie into the ground on certain topics and pehaps over-analyzed a bit. On the other hand I was enjoying this thread and the discussion it brought up, so I'm kind of torn. I hope there's another movie that comes up soon that brings up some good discussion again :)

edit: anybody hear anything about that movie coming out called "cloverfield"?

By no means feel like anything is argued into the ground...That is why I started the official IAL thread AND the "IAL sucked" thread...People who want to post that it sucked can do so and leave the other thread where we can discuss the nuances alone. For the record, I don't find too many areas in life where it is really possible to over-analyze! I would have no problem having a two or three page thread discussing just about any movie!

Please, if you have more to say/add about I Am Legend, post in the official thread. I would love to hear some more ideas. Frankly, if you have intelligent ideas about things you DIDN'T like, I would love to hear that as well. Not necessarily to argue with you, but just to read things that either I'm wrong about, or maybe I or others can offer our take on the situation and make it better?

I haven't heard anything about Cloverfield....
EDIT: I did just read in my new Maxim a little snippet about it that says it is helmed by JJ Abrams (of Lost fame) and that it is shot from a first person POV kind of like Blair Witch Project. It seems a sneak peek was played at theaters before Transformers played....From the two paragraphs in Maxim, it looks like it will be an ***-kicker, but they are already wondering if it can live up to the hype....IMDB's entry for it doesn't mention Abrams and gives very little info.

Trader Joe
12-23-2007, 12:40 AM
Cloverfied is a monster attack of some sort on New York. Shot in a way similar to that of Blair Witch. Right now not much is known about what the monster is, but I have read that it could be some sort of giant turtle...(Not joking). Apparently there is a viral marketing campaign centered around the idea that some company is polluting the oceans. Which means deformed sea animals seems like a safe bet for the monsters. Anyways like a lot of movies in the monster genre it will probably be really awesome or really suck.

TheDon
12-23-2007, 03:31 AM
Apparently there is a viral marketing campaign centered around the idea that some company is polluting the oceans..

Yeah from what I heard the company is called "slusho" that makes some sort of drink. I have also heard but can't comfirm since i've never watched Lost (I know that's sacrilege to some) and Alias that this drink is tied to one of those shows. Lots and lots of speculation about what the monster could be all Abrams has ever said is "it's not godzilla" and "I promise a completely original monster" other than that nobody has a clue. Also kind of worried about the whole POV of the cameras, there were many jokes and rips on the camera perspective in Blair witch, kind of would hate to see a potentially decent story/movie get trashed just becuase of one aspect of the movie.

Bball
12-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Spidey III

Kinda busy wasn't it? It almost felt like they had 2 or 3 other movies planned and realized this was the last one so they stirred them all into this one.

Something I dislike in these comic book, fantasy type movies that rears it head sometimes- They create an indestructible villian and then he's defeated afterall by means no different than all the other means that had been tried. Sandman seemed pretty impervious and desiring to take down Spidey... and then Sandman is taken down and remains out for the count (THIS time... but is not 'out') while Spidey takes care of Sandman's cohort and then Sandman has a change of heart? I'm thinking I missed something

Also, does Spidey regularly get his masked ripped off his face in the comic books? ....Cuz it sure seems to be a regular occurence in these movies.

III was my least favorite of the 3 Spidey movies. I wouldn't call it terrible but it offered nothing new and I'd put it into the category of:
1 sequel too many

-Bball

N8R
12-23-2007, 07:18 AM
I Am Legend

Rewatched it. Good movie. I will make other comments in the I Am Legend thread

bellisimo
12-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Spidey III

Also, does Spidey regularly get his masked ripped off his face in the comic books? ....Cuz it sure seems to be a regular occurence in these movies.
-Bball

It was probably in his contract to get face time on the silverscreen...

N8R
12-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Walk The Line

First time watching it and it is a very good movie. I am by no means a Johnny Cash fan but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Great acting by Joakin Phoenix and Reese Weatherspoon and might I add that Reese was looking super hot in this movie with your brunette hair. 9/10 for me.

Unclebuck
12-23-2007, 07:06 PM
I saw the Nick Cage movie the other night. I realize it was supposed to be a very lighthearted Disney produced romp that is fun for the whole family type of movie.

But wow was it bad. Has Cage always been that bad an actor or was the writing and the plot so absurd - any actor would have looked bad.

Let me apologize for this next comment upfront. But unless you are a 15 year old boy, I can't imagine anyone liking this movie. (but I know a lot of people in the audience who did like it and they weren't 15 year old boys

avoidingtheclowns
12-23-2007, 11:20 PM
I saw the Nick Cage movie the other night. I realize it was supposed to be a very lighthearted Disney produced romp that is fun for the whole family type of movie.

But wow was it bad. Has Cage always been that bad an actor or was the writing and the plot so absurd - any actor would have looked bad.

Let me apologize for this next comment upfront. But unless you are a 15 year old boy, I can't imagine anyone liking this movie. (but I know a lot of people in the audience who did like it and they weren't 15 year old boys

i'm confused. i thought you swore off sequels, no? did you lose a bet?

a perfect representation of the sorry state of nicholas cage's career...

e6i2WRreARo

BoomBaby31
12-23-2007, 11:23 PM
I thought Nicholas Cage was suppose to retire and be off sniffing Elvis's old clothing on some Island he bought.

SycamoreKen
12-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Spidey III

Kinda busy wasn't it? It almost felt like they had 2 or 3 other movies planned and realized this was the last one so they stirred them all into this one.

Something I dislike in these comic book, fantasy type movies that rears it head sometimes- They create an indestructible villian and then he's defeated afterall by means no different than all the other means that had been tried. Sandman seemed pretty impervious and desiring to take down Spidey... and then Sandman is taken down and remains out for the count (THIS time... but is not 'out') while Spidey takes care of Sandman's cohort and then Sandman has a change of heart? I'm thinking I missed something

III was my least favorite of the 3 Spidey movies. I wouldn't call it terrible but it offered nothing new and I'd put it into the category of:
1 sequel too many

-Bball

We just saw this movie as well. I didn't think it was much different than the other 2, they all seemed to take the Peter Parker aingst over the top. It was entertaining, but i do agree with what you said in your spoiler. there were definately too many villans/plot lines going on.

heywoode
12-24-2007, 01:29 AM
Walk The Line

First time watching it and it is a very good movie. I am by no means a Johnny Cash fan but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Great acting by Joakin Phoenix and Reese Weatherspoon and might I add that Reese was looking super hot in this movie with your brunette hair. 9/10 for me.

I watched this movie quite a while ago, and loved it. I was not a Johnny Cash fan, but the movie made me 'acquire' quite a bit of his catalog...After listening to a good piece of it, can't say that I'm much of a fan of his voice even now.

That has nothing to do with liking/not liking the story, and the movie. I also thought that Joaquin and Reese did excellent jobs, and I thought Joaquin got robbed of an Oscar. George Friggin' Clooney won for Syriana over Joaquin, I believe. Reese won for Best Female in that role...I loved the fact that all the actors portraying artists actually sang their parts. There was no lip-syncing or faking of the performing (perhaps some of the musical instrument playing was, but the singing was not)....

I got the soundtrack to Walk The Line and still listen to it as recently as yesterday. I think Joaquin, Reese, and the rest of the artists do a wonderful job of doing justice to the original performers, and I like Joaquin and Reese better than the people they portrayed...Not to mention the fact that the actors are FAR better looking than Johnny and June...Shooter Jennings portrays his father Waylon, and the guys who do Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis are reasonable as well...

Two songs that stood out in the movie are not on the soundtrack (the duet of Time's A' Wastin' where Johnny kisses June onstage and she runs off, and the snippet of Rock 'N' Roll Ruby (this song was written by Johnny but others mostly performed it, including Roy Orbison and Warren Smith) that follows the bomb destroying the tree limb) so I captured the audio from the AVI of the movie and added that to the soundtrack as extra tracks....I also bought the originals of both of those songs, and the snippets from the movie being performed by the actors are far better, IMO.

I'm thinking that most people either love Johnny (and June's) music, or they hate it. I have a hard time being middle of the road with either of them, but there are a few tunes of Johnny's that I can listen to. I enjoy some of his later stuff (the American Recordings series of 4 albums), including his covers of Nine Inch Nails' Hurt and Tom Petty's I Won't Back Down.

LouisvilleLip
12-24-2007, 02:56 AM
Clooney won for best supporting actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman won for Best Actor in Capote. I can't stand movies like Walk the Line they are all the same you seen one you seen them all.

You should check out I'm Not There, the bob dylan movie, nice to see a non cookie cutter biography movie.

N8R
12-24-2007, 03:02 AM
You should check out I'm Not There, the bob dylan movie, nice to see a non cookie cutter biography movie.

Is it out on DVD?

I Am Legend Again

3rd time overall and I watched it 2 days in a row. Still a great movie and i like it more and more the more I see it morely.

heywoode
12-24-2007, 03:07 AM
Clooney won for best supporting actor, Philip Seymour Hoffman won for Best Actor in Capote. I can't stand movies like Walk the Line they are all the same you seen one you seen them all.

Still a crime that Joaquin didn't win it.

I have no idea what you mean by a statement like that....They obviously aren't all the same since the bio subjects are all different. Maybe I'm just not understanding the context of your statement...Care to elaborate?

I'm such a Dylan non-fan that it wouldn't be worthwhile to even watch I'm Not There. I've always felt Dylan was overrated...

heywoode
12-24-2007, 03:11 AM
Is it out on DVD?

I Am Legend Again

3rd time overall and I watched it 2 days in a row. Still a great movie and i like it more and more the more I see it morely.

Watched it tonight on the 55 inch with the lights low and the surround sound going...My wife liked it and thought it was sad...I can't wait for the dvd to be released so I can see if there are any commentaries, behind the scenes, making of's, or deleted scenes. I crave more information about the story!

I still think it is a fantastic movie too....care to discuss any further?! I don't have to work again until a few days into 2008, so I should be available pretty regularly.......

sweabs
12-24-2007, 03:36 AM
I watched I Am Legend for the first time, with the one and only newman8r, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I was interested the entire time, and thought the story was great. It was really well done, and I plan on watching it many more times in the future.

LouisvilleLip
12-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Still a crime that Joaquin didn't win it.

I have no idea what you mean by a statement like that....They obviously aren't all the same since the bio subjects are all different. Maybe I'm just not understanding the context of your statement...Care to elaborate?

I'm such a Dylan non-fan that it wouldn't be worthwhile to even watch I'm Not There. I've always felt Dylan was overrated...

Regardless of the person the movie is depicting they all follow the same timeline and the happy ending. Oh wow he had a tough childhood, he grew up poor, now hes rich and famous but his life is empty and hes on drugs and then something happens that changes there life and gives a nice happy ending. Yawn.

N8R
12-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Hot Rod

Very funny movie with my type of random humour in it. I saw this one in theatres in the summer and liked it so much then that I got a DVD copy of it and got the chance to watch it with the one and only rcarey on this lovely Christmas Eve. Andy Samberg is great in it and the entire Lonely Island comedy crew should be making another movie with the success of this one. 8/10

sweabs
12-24-2007, 06:08 PM
I also watched Hot Rod with the 8r's of newms and enjoyed it thoroughly.

It was funny. I liked it when he got hurt. I laughed. It happened many times. I like stuff and things.

N8R
12-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Stuff and things are freakin GREAT

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Only the best christmas movie after Jingle All the Way of course but that is assumed right?

heywoode
12-24-2007, 06:57 PM
Regardless of the person the movie is depicting they all follow the same timeline and the happy ending. Oh wow he had a tough childhood, he grew up poor, now hes rich and famous but his life is empty and hes on drugs and then something happens that changes there life and gives a nice happy ending. Yawn.

When there is a story to tell about coming from nothing, using talent to make something of yourself, getting a bit lost in the temptation of celebrity/riches and then coming to your senses and finding redemption, why not tell it?

I'm not going to try and convince you (or anyone else) that some movie, ANY movie, is worth watching. I'll just chalk it up to different tastes and leave it at that. Sometimes I forget to add, 'my opinion of the movie is...' when I post, so I will try to remind myself that that is what you are posting...your opinion.

Hell, some people like to watch cartoons....I shouldn't be so judgemental that I ridicule them for it. I certainly am going to try and follow that same path regarding your movie tastes, which I don't seem to have anything in common with.

heywoode
12-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Stuff and things are freakin GREAT

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Only the best christmas movie after Jingle All the Way of course but that is assumed right?

I would give the edge to A Christmas Story as number one (NOTTAFINGA!), with Christmas Vacation a close second (...$h!tter was full!).

Another fantastic movie that happens to take place around Christmas is The Ref, with Denis Leary, Kevin Spacey, Judy Davis, etc...Many, many quotable lines....(My personal favorite--"Your husband ain't dead, lady. He's hidin'") My wife and I watch it on Christmas Eve after the kids go to bed every year....it will be on in a few hours!

LouisvilleLip
12-24-2007, 07:26 PM
When there is a story to tell about coming from nothing, using talent to make something of yourself, getting a bit lost in the temptation of celebrity/riches and then coming to your senses and finding redemption, why not tell it?

I just don't enjoy those type of movies you seen one you seen them all, they are just money making machines. Every year they put out 20 different sports movies there all the same ****, different people.

bellisimo
12-24-2007, 07:49 PM
Resident Evil: Extinction

craptacular....not worth discussing anymore

kester99
12-24-2007, 08:43 PM
They Live, starring Rowdy Roddy Piper. (SPOILER ALERT) He really kicks some alien butt.

N8R
12-24-2007, 09:54 PM
I would give the edge to A Christmas Story as number one (NOTTAFINGA!), with Christmas Vacation a close second (...$h!tter was full!).

I never got into A Christmas Story. I honestly dont think I have seen it all the way through that I can remember so that might be one reason. I think Christmas Vacation is the best but I think it is really all a matter of personal opinion and tradition. Merry Christmas to ya Heywoode. I will be watching some I Am Legend a few more times this week. GREAT GREAT movie.

heywoode
12-24-2007, 10:02 PM
I just don't enjoy those type of movies you seen one you seen them all, they are just money making machines. Every year they put out 20 different sports movies there all the same ****, different people.

I can't go through life being so cynical. Everything is a money making machine, if you stop and think about it. I don't get caught up into finding fault in every thing I see because it is a waste of time.

It is inspiring to me to see a story of someone seemingly losing it all, but through some kind of awakening and life-changing event, they find the power to turn their life around. Gets me every time, and I enjoy seeing talented actors of our generation portraying great characters.

Stories like We Are Marshall, The Hurricane, Remember The Titans, The Natural, etc....all tell a story I don't mind watching.

So, just what movies DO you like?

LouisvilleLip
12-24-2007, 10:13 PM
I like asian movies mainly korean.

Hoop
12-24-2007, 11:08 PM
They Live, starring Rowdy Roddy Piper. He really kicks some alien butt.Not the best movie, but it had a few good lines in it.

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick @ss...... and I'm all out of bubble gum."

"Life's a b*tch and she's back in heat."

Trader Joe
12-25-2007, 02:17 AM

Another fantastic movie that happens to take place around Christmas is The Ref, with Denis Leary, Kevin Spacey, Judy Davis, etc...Many, many quotable lines....(My personal favorite--"Your husband ain't dead, lady. He's hidin'") My wife and I watch it on Christmas Eve after the kids go to bed every year....it will be on in a few hours!

Best Xmas movie of all time is Die Hard. ;)

Bball
12-25-2007, 02:35 AM
I had to do it...
"It's A Wonderful Life"

No need for a review... Who hasn't already watched this movie?

-Bball

Hoop
12-25-2007, 02:50 AM
I had to do it...
"It's A Wonderful Life"

No need for a review... Who hasn't already watched this movie?

-Bball
I own the DVD, Greatest Christmas Movie Ever. I watch it just about every year.

N8R
12-25-2007, 03:07 AM

Never seen it and Merry Christmas

Suaveness
12-25-2007, 03:47 AM
casino royale

bellisimo
12-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Casino

not as good as Goodfellas - but worth a watch for sure.

The Interview

It was better than I anticipated

heywoode
12-25-2007, 12:35 PM

I will give props to It's A Wonderful Life as the greatest Christmas Movie ever....I should've said that the movies I referenced were greatest Christmas comedies of all time...Nothing really beats It's A Wonderful Life as far as movies having a Christmas message. Of course, A Christmas Carol and the many variations of it are classics in the same vein. I personally liked Scrooged as a nice take on A Christmas Carol while throwing in Bill Murray's wonderful style!

I will go ahead and lay it out there....I cannot help but get misty at the ends of both It's A Wonderful Life and even Scrooged. I'm a pansy, I know, but the Christmas season is my favorite time of the year, and I truly believe that for a few days a year we all act like the people we always wanted to be, and know we should try harder to be. It is difficult to let some things go during the year, but it is much easier during the holidays, whatever your religion. It just seems like a period of time when we can all relate to the one thing we have in common; we are all humans living on planet Earth. Petty differences seem to fade away, and that is when it doesn't matter if you are rich, poor, black, white, American, Mexican, Iraqi, whatever. We are all humans, and we should all treat each other that way...

Sniffsniff, I just got misty as I typed that....:blush:

Merry Christmas (and Happy Holidays to those that don't celebrate like I do)

JayRedd
12-25-2007, 04:25 PM
a perfect representation of the sorry state of nicholas cage's career...

keSWusiSNe4

heywoode
12-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah, every time I thought about watching The Wicker Man, I came to my senses...

DisplacedKnick
12-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Yeah, every time I thought about watching The Wicker Man, I came to my senses...

You should watch it. Drunk. With friends. Someplace where you can throw stuff at the screen.

It is bad on a mythic scale - and not the kind of cult bad like Snakes on a Plane which is bad in a fun sort of way. Wicker Man is just terrible - but if you're drunk with your buddies you can still make fun of it.

DisplacedKnick
12-25-2007, 11:40 PM
Eastern Promises.

Was better than I expected. I'm starting to be impressed by Viggo Mortenson. He was good in both this and A History of Violence.

Both were somewhat limited characters but he did them very well.

Plus, believe it or not, it's set around Christmas. Kind of brutal in parts and definitely a dark theme but a pretty solid film.

Trader Joe
12-26-2007, 12:41 AM
I caught like the last half hour to 45 minutes of Wicker Man once. I've never been the same. :(

heywoode
12-26-2007, 01:40 AM
I caught like the last half hour to 45 minutes of Wicker Man once. I've never been the same. :(

I'm sorry...I only watched like 10 minutes of it and it scarred me; I can't begin to imagine what you're trying to get past...:(:-o:cry:

Usually I like Nick Cage. Well, I guess I should qualify that with more of this kind of statement: I like about every third movie he makes...

I thought Con Air was fun in a cheesy, very quotable kind of way...It had characters that made it interesting...not limited to Dave Chappelle in his classic role as "Pinball"....but then there would be something like Captain Corelli's Mandolin that made me want to blow my head off for watching 15 minutes of it on free HBO....

JayRedd
12-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm sorry...I only watched like 10 minutes of it and it scarred me; I can't begin to imagine what you're trying to get past...:(:-o

I actually watched the whole thing.

It's pretty awesome.

AesopRockOn
12-26-2007, 10:59 PM
Eastern Promises.

Was better than I expected. I'm starting to be impressed by Viggo Mortenson. He was good in both this and A History of Violence.

Both were somewhat limited characters but he did them very well.

Plus, believe it or not, it's set around Christmas. Kind of brutal in parts and definitely a dark theme but a pretty solid film.

Agreed. I picked it up right when it came out.

Aw Heck
12-27-2007, 12:47 AM
No Country for Old Men

Actually, I saw this last week. Pretty good. Definitely one of my favorite films of the year. It really shows the versatility of the Coen Brothers. I enjoy pretty much any typical Coen Bros. movie, but I wish they would make more films like this.

I Am Legend

It was OK. Thumbs in the middle, tilting slightly upwards. It was entertaining and was good for what it was. In the hands of an inferior director and/or an inferior lead actor, it could've been much worse. ("I Am Legend," starring Paul Walker. Directed by McG. Gag...) That said, I don't have an overwhelming urge to see it again. I also don't have an overwhelming urge to buy a shiny, brand-spanking new Ford car, despite the movie's best efforts to convince me otherwise...

heywoode
12-27-2007, 12:55 AM
No Country for Old Men

Actually, I saw this last week. Pretty good. Definitely one of my favorite films of the year. It really shows the versatility of the Coen Brothers. I enjoy pretty much any typical Coen Bros. movie, but I wish they would make more films like this.

I Am Legend

It was OK. Thumbs in the middle, tilting slightly upwards. It was entertaining and was good for what it was. In the hands of an inferior director and/or an inferior lead actor, it could've been much worse. ("I Am Legend," starring Paul Walker. Directed by McG. Gag...) That said, I don't have an overwhelming urge to see it again. I also don't have an overwhelming urge to buy a shiny, brand-spanking new Ford car, despite the movie's best efforts to convince me otherwise...

Aw, why not?! Basically the apocalypse happened, and he had a choice of whatever kind of vehicle he wanted in NYC, and he (and Anna) chose Ford! Man, Ford must've paid a pretty penny for that product placement....It didn't really detract from my experience because I figured if it were real life, he would've been driving SOME kind of vehicle, so who cares what it was? Looking at it through crystal clear glasses, yes, it was product placement. Would it have been any different if it had been GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, Porsche, etc, etc.?? I must admit, I do want one of those GT500's!

Aw Heck
12-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Aw, why not?! Basically the apocalypse happened, and he had a choice of whatever kind of vehicle he wanted in NYC, and he (and Anna) chose Ford! Man, Ford must've paid a pretty penny for that product placement....It didn't really detract from my experience because I figured if it were real life, he would've been driving SOME kind of vehicle, so who cares what it was? Looking at it through crystal clear glasses, yes, it was product placement. Would it have been any different if it had been GM, Chrysler, Mercedes, Porsche, etc, etc.?? I must admit, I do want one of those GT500's!
I understand that product placement is a big part of movies now. But if some sort of apocalyptic event happens and no cars are made for 3 years, I wouldn't expect to see a brand new, shiny car speeding down the streets. Robert drove a P.O.S. car during the middle of the movie. I was fine with that. That wasn't a distraction. It made sense within the context of the story.

I just think there's a time and place for that type of product placement. In a movie like Transformers, that's fine. It's a mindless, Michael Bay type popcorn movie. It's only purpose is to be a giant ad for toys and cars.

But in a movie like this, it was just distracting for me. I don't mind seeing a Ford logo. I don't mind him driving those cars. But to see them in pristine condition made them stick out like a sore thumb. All that was missing was a price tag and a message to visit your local Ford dealer.

heywoode
12-27-2007, 01:38 AM
I understand that product placement is a big part of movies now. But if some sort of apocalyptic event happens and no cars are made for 3 years, I wouldn't expect to see a brand new, shiny car speeding down the streets. Robert drove a P.O.S. car during the middle of the movie. I was fine with that. That wasn't a distraction. It made sense within the context of the story.

I just think there's a time and place for that type of product placement. In a movie like Transformers, that's fine. It's a mindless, Michael Bay type popcorn movie. It's only purpose is to be a giant ad for toys and cars.

But in a movie like this, it was just distracting for me. I don't mind seeing a Ford logo. I don't mind him driving those cars. But to see them in pristine condition made them stick out like a sore thumb. All that was missing was a price tag and a message to visit your local Ford dealer.

Well, I figured that they would stay in pristine condition inside a dealers showcase, and he had the time, so why not wash that baby before going hunting in it with his trusty AR??!! I absolutely understand your point, and it is well taken. I agree 100% that it is less noticeable in a popcorn cruncher movie. It didn't seem to bother me any, and I thought it was cool that he was driving a Mustang, because Neville drove one for a time in The Omega Man....I think the SUV he drove during most of the movie wasn't so much a POS as it was more of an expeditioners-type vehicle with matte paint and the luggage rack and front push bumper (kinda)....It was still pretty tricked out with gadgets from what I could tell; it just wasn't a shiny paint job.

You know it will get to the point sooner or later when they will be showing price tags and placing less covert ads in movies...kinda like The Truman Show, where everything was for sale in the tv show that was Truman's life....scary to think about!

Trader Joe
12-27-2007, 04:12 AM
Cars sitting anywhere for three years are going to get dusty. That car looked like it had just been waxed and washed. Plus the apocalypse had basically occured during this time period. I don't know that turned me off right away, but little stuff like that always bothers me. I don't know why. I understand product placement is necessary, but they could at least do it realistically.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure the SUV he drives for the majority of the movie is the same SUV he is in when he takes his family to the dock.

Raskolnikov
12-27-2007, 12:10 PM
I am legend.

Very good movie. I nearly cried when Sam died. Nearly.

heywoode
12-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Cars sitting anywhere for three years are going to get dusty. That car looked like it had just been waxed and washed. Plus the apocalypse had basically occured during this time period. I don't know that turned me off right away, but little stuff like that always bothers me. I don't know why. I understand product placement is necessary, but they could at least do it realistically.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure the SUV he drives for the majority of the movie is the same SUV he is in when he takes his family to the dock.

I noted in my post that he could've washed and waxed it; he had plenty of time to kill........

After looking back through the movie, I think it is possible that the SUV he drove is the same as the one he drove when he took his family to the dock. It is certainly the same make and model, but I think he added a few things after the fact. He added the front bumper that protects the lights, a winch on the front, and the extra large luggage rack on top that also had a ton of bright lights. I could see the necessity for adding those things after the fact because he probably spent time pushing/pulling vehicles out of the way to clear the roads, and he wanted to have a bunch of supplies with him if he broke down, plus the light bars would repel the darkseekers if he got into some trouble and was out past dusk.

I still say that if he had the time to install all that extra stuff on the SUV, he had plenty of time to wash the Mustang to make it look all pretty, or just to be goofy and/or feel like he was still living a normal life. He talked to mannequins and talked to his dog about planning a surprise birthday party and eating her vegetables; I don't think it is a stretch that he washed the Mustang.

In reality, was it blatant product placement? Yes. Is it anything to get your panties in a twist over? No. It can be reasonably assumed that he could've cleaned the car that way, rather than in a scenario in some other apocalyptic movie where there is no running water and/or time to clean a vehicle that a nice, bright, shiny Mustang GT500 would be being driven.

Just my opinion, but there are things that I can overlook with a small amount of plausibility. I would agree that product placement that is an obvious error in the screenplay or script would detract from the movie. I don't feel that is the case with the Mustang, or any other product placement in I Am Legend. Heck, let's not even get started about the music. As soon as it was over, I left the theater and went to Sam Goody and bought Bob Marley's Legend CD while operating at a near subconscious level......Just kidding....

Gyron
12-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Christmas Vacation
Last Holiday(with the inlaws)
Harry Potter(whatever the latest movie was)
The Santa Clause 3( they should have stopped at 2)
The princess diaries 2
All three american pie movies(before they started making straight to DVD's)

grace
12-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Charlie Wilson's War

Kegboy was impressed with Charlie's staff members.

heywoode
12-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Charlie Wilson's War

Kegboy was impressed with Charlie's staff.

Fixed.

Unclebuck
12-28-2007, 09:14 AM
I saw "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" last night.

Wow, it certainly wasn't boring, and it certainly was something different. I'm not really too sure what to say about the movie though. It is clearly a musical which many in the theater evidently didn't know going in.

It was strange walking out because it seemed like almost everyone had a similar reaction, stunned speechlessness (is that a word)

It is difficult to describe. It is a musical, it is a slasher movie - very violent, there is some gallows humor, it had some of the same elements that "Gangs of New York" had,oh and it was a love story.

Visually it was stunning and I promise you as you sit there and watch the movie you have no idea what might be coming next.

Having said all of that, the story never really drew me in. At times it started too, there were times when I started to care about the characters, but then an annoying musical number would start or an extremely violent scene would change my attachment to the characters.

In many ways it was the sickest movie I've ever scene - no regard for human life at all.

I realize I'm taking the movie too litterally, but overall I can only say I really liked it and really hated it all at the same time.

If you want to see something totally different, it might be a good choice.

Gyron
12-28-2007, 09:43 AM
The Simpson's Movie. Got it for Christmas.

There were some pretty funny scenes in there. I would say it was enjoyable.

bellisimo
12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Eastern Promises
better than History of Violence but it wasn't what I expected for it to be which left me disappointed....

American Pie Beta House
I just shut it off after the first 30 minutes...too stupid...too graphic...which made me wonder...am i getting too old for this ****?

Isaac
12-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Best movies of 07:

1.) No Country for Old Men
It was very difficult for me to pick a #1 because this was a good year at the top for films. No Country for Old Men is one of the best and most original films I've ever seen. Brilliantly acted and brilliantly written.

2.) Eastern Promises
The Subplots are what makes this movie. There are 100 different things going on at once. It has a very realistic feel, it feels like your getting a glimpse of something that has a past and will have a future, not wrapped in to a neat little package. Viggo is incredible also.

3.) American Gangster
Because my expectations going in where so incredibly high I was let down a little bit by this, but it was still excellent by itself. Russell Crowe should never try an American accent again by the way, terrible.

4.)Zodiac
Starts out very slow, I wasn't sure if this movie was going to live up to its potential but it does. Very much so and its Jake Gyllenhaal that makes it happen. His characters progression as the movie goes on is brilliant.

5.) The Great Debaters
I honestly didn't know what to think going in to this one, but it really was fantastic. Almost brought me to tears on 2 seperate occasions.

Unclebuck
12-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Best movies of 07:

1.) No Country for Old Men
It was very difficult for me to pick a #1 because this was a good year at the top for films. No Country for Old Men is one of the best and most original films I've ever seen. Brilliantly acted and brilliantly written.

2.) Eastern Promises
The Subplots are what makes this movie. There are 100 different things going on at once. It has a very realistic feel, it feels like your getting a glimpse of something that has a past and will have a future, not wrapped in to a neat little package. Viggo is incredible also.

3.) American Gangster
Because my expectations going in where so incredibly high I was let down a little bit by this, but it was still excellent by itself. Russell Crowe should never try an American accent again by the way, terrible.

4.)Zodiac
Starts out very slow, I wasn't sure if this movie was going to live up to its potential but it does. Very much so and its Jake Gyllenhaal that makes it happen. His characters progression as the movie goes on is brilliant.

5.) The Great Debaters
I honestly didn't know what to think going in to this one, but it really was fantastic. Almost brought me to tears on 2 seperate occasions.

Wow, I need to get to the movie theater. Sadly I have only seen one of those movies and that is Zodiac, but I plan to see the others.

I have a question about The Great Debaters. Is it too preachy, is it too heavy handed. Those are my concerns . ,

Isaac
12-28-2007, 06:34 PM
I have a question about The Great Debaters. Is it too preachy, is it too heavy handed. Those are my concerns . ,

I was really concerned it was going to be preachy after finding out that they have them debate Harvard in this film as opposed to USC, which they did in real life. I didn't find it to be that way in the least bit, but I have heard some people who saw the movie say they thought it was.

There is one scene where they are debating the Oklahoma City College debate team and there is a black audience cheering for the black college and a white audience cheering for the white college, and the way they shoot it bothered me a little bit. The white debater is arguing that colleges should not be segregated because since there is so much racial hatred in the world a black person would not get a fair shake at a college with whites, and they make a point of showing groups of whites nodding and agreeing. After the black debater makes her point all the blacks give a standing ovation and the whites sort of mumble to themselves and look angry. It just seemed a little bit over the top. However, the way they ended the movie put to bed any thoughts that I had like that. Definitley worth seeing.

Unclebuck
12-29-2007, 09:28 AM
I was really concerned it was going to be preachy after finding out that they have them debate Harvard in this film as opposed to USC, which they did in real life. I didn't find it to be that way in the least bit, but I have heard some people who saw the movie say they thought it was.

There is one scene where they are debating the Oklahoma City College debate team and there is a black audience cheering for the black college and a white audience cheering for the white college, and the way they shoot it bothered me a little bit. The white debater is arguing that colleges should not be segregated because since there is so much racial hatred in the world a black person would not get a fair shake at a college with whites, and they make a point of showing groups of whites nodding and agreeing. After the black debater makes her point all the blacks give a standing ovation and the whites sort of mumble to themselves and look angry. It just seemed a little bit over the top. However, the way they ended the movie put to bed any thoughts that I had like that. Definitley worth seeing.

Thanks, I will go see it for sure over the next couple of days. I like your taste in movies

grace
12-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Fixed.

If you'd seen the movie you'd know the females are a lot more impressive than Charlie.

Isaac, I thought the audience reaction in the OK debate was pretty much what you'd expect in 1935.

SamBear
12-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.... the Chuck Barris story.. wow it was a lot better then I thought it would be.. I would recommend it.

Hicks
12-29-2007, 01:48 PM
Sweeny Todd

I loved it. It does an excellent job of presenting a musical in movie form. NOT for everyone with it's very dark, very bloody/gory themes and images, but if you're not phased (much) by those things, you may enjoy it quite a bit. If you don't like musicals, then you'll probably not like it much. However, since I fortunately DO enjoy musicals AND dark movies/themes, this was a great combination for me.

I enjoyed the feel of the movie, the actors, the songs, the story. I just really liked this film. I bought the soundtrack on my way home last night.

Unclebuck
12-29-2007, 05:34 PM
Sweeny Todd

I loved it. It does an excellent job of presenting a musical in movie form. NOT for everyone with it's very dark, very bloody/gory themes and images, but if you're not phased (much) by those things, you may enjoy it quite a bit. If you don't like musicals, then you'll probably not like it much. However, since I fortunately DO enjoy musicals AND dark movies/themes, this was a great combination for me.

I enjoyed the feel of the movie, the actors, the songs, the story. I just really liked this film. I bought the soundtrack on my way home last night.

Did you read what I wrote about that movie. It was a mixed bad for me. Somewhere at about the 15th or 16th throat that was slit, the movie just sort of lost me. Very memorable though.

Hicks
12-29-2007, 05:43 PM
It was fun hearing some of the audience reactions by that many throats. :D I don't get off on that kind of stuff, but I'm not very phased by it anymore so it's twisted fun to hear others react that are less immune.

Anyway, I accepted it as Todd just losing himself to vengeance and the fact that killing comes so easily for him. In the end it costs him everything.

Bball
12-30-2007, 12:46 AM
"Zodiak"

Good movie. I liked the pacing and character development. I also liked the movie because it left me wanting to know a little more about the real story, other suspects, and alternate theories.

I also give it high marks because it could've delved into the family aspect of the cartoonist and (IMHO) wasted time with that angle instead of staying on track with the larger theme of the movie. But the movie deftly let you know what was happening there, but didn't derail the movie with a sappy side angle.

-Bball

bellisimo
12-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Shoot 'em Up

Its a good movie for getting away from reality and just enjoy some mindless fun. It had some unique things which I had not seen before in an action movie. Would recommend it to all :)

The Heartbreak Kid

I'm tired of movies that combine gross things with comedies...its like a bad combo like romantic-comedy...

Erik
12-31-2007, 11:15 AM
Rush Hour 3
Not good at all, they squeezed that turnip dry.

The Condemned
It suprised me, if you just want to see one of those shoot-em-up guy movies this one is better than most. Stone Cold is a bad dude.

Who's your caddy? This one suprised me also, Big Boi was decent and so was the writing. Not quite as classic as "Caddyshack" but it's good if you're not expecting alot.

DisplacedKnick
12-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I am Legend.

Was very disappointed in this - will vent in the I am Legend thread.

Two hours of my life I'll never have back.

edit: Never mind - I'll vent here. It'll just be briefer and more general.

Shallow plot, simplistic theme - I'd say it was pretty much a standard horror movie type theme without quite as much graphic violence. "Science unlocks the genie in the bottle, Humans turn into nasty things that try to kill you, post-apocalyptic survivor tries to save the world." I usually like Will Smith as an actor but he couldn't save this - wasn't enough interaction with other people, unless you think mannequins and a dog are people.

Bleh. 28 Days Later was MUCH better.

Heck, Shawn of the Dead was better. At least it matched my expectations.

SycamoreKen
12-31-2007, 07:21 PM
National Treasure 2: It was what it was. Completely over the top and unbelievable, but it was a good bit of escapism with my wife. Two things that jumped out. 1. London has no ploice force. 2. Wouldn't the price of gold plumit if a City of Gold was discovered? That would be the main reason to keep it a secret.

Mr. Brooks: Bought his on In Demand the other day. Very interesting movie. Saw the ending coming, but it was still interesting. The title and previews don't really tell what is coning, which is better than completely telling the story.

Of the previews i saw during NT, the only two movies i found interesting were the new Pixar movie and the new George Clooney football one. It looked as if it could be pretty funny in a "brother where art thou' kind of way. No idea if the story about legitamizing pro football is in any way realistic or not.

N8R
01-01-2008, 04:51 AM
watched the first 30 minutes of I Am Legend. Still a great great movie. I am going to watch the entire thing with a friend later this week and I will love every minute of it. Such a good freaking movie.

heywoode
01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
watched the first 30 minutes of I Am Legend. Still a great great movie. I am going to watch the entire thing with a friend later this week and I will love every minute of it. Such a good freaking movie.

It's just a movie.

(Sorry, that was me being not so nice. I'm glad you liked the movie as much as me...I would hope after watching it a number of times again that you would have some more to discuss in our other thread. Please, if you have more insight to offer or questions for us to ponder, I would love to discuss further. I have gotten a few other new movies since I Am Legend, and between watching those and family commitments, I haven't had much chance to peruse my very good quality rip of IAL. When I do check it out again, and/or when my friends and I come up with questions/thoughts, I will post in the official thread!)

N8R
01-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Independence Day

It was playing on TV and it had been a few years since I last watched it. Still a good movie.

avoidingtheclowns
01-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Shattered Glass (B-)
wasn't overwhelmed by it but sarsgaard was great, hayden wasn't bad either.

First Snow (C-)
guy pearce is enjoyable, but it was kinda like a poor man's memento. i'm a sucker for noir but i found the script/story disappointing.

N8R
01-02-2008, 01:40 AM
I Am Legend

Everyone knows my thoughts

Knocked Up

Has some good one liners and scenes but as a whole I think it is too long and it has the same cheesy ending that most movies do. Still a very funny movie.

Unclebuck
01-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Saw "No Country for Old Men" yesterday. Now that is a movie. There were so many things I loved about it. Probably the best villian I've ever seen in a movie. He was smart, and whenever he was on the screen I was just facinated by him - very memorable - even when he was just siting there, I couldn't take my eyes of him.

All the acting was great, the writing was outstanding, but one thing I really, really appreciated - there was no background music that tries and sets the mood for you, or that tells you something important or dramatic is upcoming (similar to the HBO series, The Wire") things just happened and the impact was so much greater.

Overall a fantastic movie. I suppose some will not like the ending - it certainly isn't a typical hollywood type ending - I'm sure it was not audience tested and reworked to please the studio execs.

It is great to see a movie that doesn't denigrate into car chases, shootouts, MTV type editing and over-the-top action. Restrained and quiet suspense.

It just is sad that so few people actually go see these type movies and instead go to see much lesser movies.

bellisimo
01-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Valley of the Wolves - Iraq

It was...different to watch the Americans as the bad guys...

N8R
01-02-2008, 07:55 PM
3:10 to Yuma

A lot better than I had thought it would be. Chritian Bale and Russel Crowe were both very good in it. I usually dont like westerns but this one was done very well. I would recommend to any and everyone. 8/10

kester99
01-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Just watched 5 seconds (approx) of Dream Girls.

JayRedd
01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Saw "No Country for Old Men" yesterday. Now that is a movie. There were so many things I loved about it. Probably the best villian I've ever seen in a movie. He was smart, and whenever he was on the screen I was just facinated by him - very memorable - even when he was just siting there, I couldn't take my eyes of him.

All the acting was great, the writing was outstanding, but one thing I really, really appreciated - there was no background music that tries and sets the mood for you, or that tells you something important or dramatic is upcoming (similar to the HBO series, The Wire") things just happened and the impact was so much greater.

Overall a fantastic movie. I suppose some will not like the ending - it certainly isn't a typical hollywood type ending - I'm sure it was not audience tested and reworked to please the studio execs.

It is great to see a movie that doesn't denigrate into car chases, shootouts, MTV type editing and over-the-top action. Restrained and quiet suspense.

It just is sad that so few people actually go see these type movies and instead go to see much lesser movies.

This is all true.

heywoode
01-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Just watched 5 seconds (approx) of Dream Girls.

I've watched 5 minutes of that movie....collectively.

Every time I see it's on HBO, I turn it immediately but not before being subjected to a couple seconds of it. I figure that I've done that to watch about 5 minutes of it collectively.

kester99
01-03-2008, 10:50 PM
One lady was doing a soulful rendition of 'who are you calling calculating, you unprofessional.." and I turned it off.

Whatever happened to Motown?

ajbry
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
http://www.shiftingheat.com/images/idiocracy.jpg

Funny and probably pretty accurate. Good film.

DisplacedKnick
01-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Had a really slow night so I rented Rob Zombie's Halloween.

It was OK - slasher movie. I liked the original better - thought it built suspense a bit more but this wasn't bad - a bit better than I expected actually.

There's also a very nice, wholesome morality lesson. If a girl engages in premarital sex, she's going to die. Actually, I think that went for the guys too - very gender neutral as well.

sweabs
01-04-2008, 02:36 AM
The Great Debaters & Sicko.

I enjoyed both of them.

Mourning
01-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Valley of the Wolves - Iraq

It was...different to watch the Americans as the bad guys...

Yeah, I heard that was sort of the Turkish Rambo with the Americans as the "villains". Heard it was just as bad if not worse aswell as Rambo II en III :D.

kester99
01-05-2008, 08:34 PM
Heywoode: The Princess Diaries. It is my favorite. It is 135 minutes long. I wish it was longer, so I could cry more. :cry:

Stryder
01-06-2008, 01:08 AM
"Shoot Em Up"

I loved this movie. Take it at face value. As the title explains, it is a great shoot 'em up movie. Excellent soundtrack...good shootout scene with Ace of Spades playing.

"Stardust"

So-so. It was definitely different. I did enjoy watching Claire Danes.

SpADeD
01-06-2008, 01:55 AM
http://www.shiftingheat.com/images/idiocracy.jpg

Funny and probably pretty accurate. Good film.

I was pretty dissapointed with that movie, I waited about 2 years for it to come out too, definately should not even be mentioned with Office Space.

I also saw No Country For Old Men, and the movie was awesome cause the cattlegun alone, that and the Coen Bros of course.

31andonly
01-06-2008, 08:56 AM
I don't know whether this movie has already been mentioned, however, I watched "Hotel Rwanda" yesterday!

All I can say is that I had tears in my eyes! This movie is haunting, you really begin to feel with the people in the movie..
As of now, I'm still a little speechless and think about the movie and the circumstances! To those who don't know, it's the true story of a hotel director in Rwanda, where war is broken out and a real genocide began to happen..frightening..

idioteque
01-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Turistas...

For the most part terrible, except for a couple of decent topless scenes I guess :cool:

DisplacedKnick
01-06-2008, 12:03 PM
I've been buying a few DVD's now and then to replace my VHS tapes.

Watched The Bourne Identity last night for the first time in several years. I was struck by how much better this film is, IMO than Ultimatum and Supremacy.

In those two films, there's plenty of action, you don't get bored and they're not bad but in Identity they allow Bourne to show real pain over his situation, to make him vulnerable, to let you inside his head with the pain and confusion.

In the last two he's like a Human robot killer - plus the last one had a few too many car chases. They were good chases but how many do you need in 1 movie, however good they are?

I'm now on to the Special edition DVD of The Abyss.

Raskolnikov
01-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't know whether this movie has already been mentioned, however, I watched "Hotel Rwanda" yesterday!

All I can say is that I had tears in my eyes! This movie is haunting, you really begin to feel with the people in the movie..
As of now, I'm still a little speechless and think about the movie and the circumstances! To those who don't know, it's the true story of a hotel director in Rwanda, where war is broken out and a real genocide began to happen..frightening..
Damn, now I remember it was being televised on some local station a couple days ago, but I apparently missed it. Really want to see that film some time soon...

Mourning
01-06-2008, 02:04 PM
"Hotel Rwanda" is good, but there's also another movie about the genocide in Rwanda. I think it's an English movie and though I can't come up with the name now I thought it was far superior, though "HotelRwanda" definitely wasn't bad either.

Saw "Die Hard 4.0" two days ago, I liked it. Much better then part 3 and some good jokes. Actually went back to watch the original "Die Hard" movie again yesterday (and enjoying it :D:D:D).

Also saw "Syriana" again yesterday. I have seen it about 3 times now and continue to find it an intriguing movie. I have the feeling I will see new things everytime that I will watch this movie. Very clever, very cynical (maybe), but definitely good IMO.

Regards,

heywoode
01-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Just watched The Kingdom a couple nights ago.

GREAT movie. The more I see Jamie Foxx, the more I like him. Sometimes it is hard to believe someone could come so far so fast in acting ability. He was always good with comedy, but to extend one's range this far is very impressive. I don't want to turn the thread into a Jamie Foxx discussion, but seeing him in Collateral was the first time I started thinking about him as an actor performing outside comedy. I hesitate to say that is when he started being a real actor, because I have great respect for actors who can do comedy, it is far harder than it looks or seems. After seeing him in Jarhead, Ray, and now The Kingdom, I am sold. Very fine actor.

Back to the movie; I found it RIVETING. The first 5 minutes of the movie explains the history of Saudi Arabia and how the relationship with the U.S. has evolved (and how current problems are obviously tied to mistakes made between the two nations) and sets a great tone for the next 15 minutes of the movie, which totally suck you in. There was no way I was not watching the rest of the movie after having watched the first 20 minutes.

My wife watched the first 20 minutes with me and then had to leave, so now I get to watch it again with her. I'm really looking forward to watching it again.

I recommend it highly.

ajbry
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM

The phrase "a real genocide began to happen" makes it seem like the movie taught you something you didn't previously know... I'd hope that isn't the case.

Hicks
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
In those two films, there's plenty of action, you don't get bored and they're not bad but in Identity they allow Bourne to show real pain over his situation, to make him vulnerable, to let you inside his head with the pain and confusion.

That, and Identity didn't cause me to feel like I was constantly taking breaks to press my forehead against a baseball bat while spinning in place. That director's style just doesn't work for my brain and leaves me dizzy.

I'm now on to the Special edition DVD of The Abyss.

I really like this movie.

heywoode
01-06-2008, 03:12 PM
I liked all of the Bourne movies, but the first one definitely seemed to be the easiest to connect with because the story was new and we were just being introduced to Jason Bourne. I find it somewhat difficult to watch the editing style of some of the newer movies coming out, so I can certainly sympathize with you, Mal...

I also liked The Abyss a lot when it came out. It won awards for special effects, but the story is a good one, and the acting is excellent as well. I like Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, and Michael Biehn quite a bit....The Rock and The Color of Money are two favorites....

I haven't seen Hotel Rwanda, but I recognize it for the quality film it is. I am aware of the devastation in Rwanda, but I have to be in the right mood/frame of mind to watch movies like that, and to my detriment, I haven't found myself motivated to watch it yet.

kester99
01-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Turistas...

For the most part terrible, except for a couple of decent topless scenes I guess :cool:

I watched "parts" of that.

sweabs
01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
American Gangster - AWESOME movie. It was long, but I still wanted it to last even longer.

Death at a Funeral - Really funny for one of those "dark" or "black", British comedies.

Shoot 'em Up - Like Stryder said, it's a good movie if you accept it for what it is. We watched it on a BRAND NEW amazing home theatre system so that really helped out as well. Amazing surround sound, awesome picture...it was entertaining.

SycamoreKen
01-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Topper (1937) and Topper Takes a Trip (1938)

We watched these back to back on TMC last night. They were both very entertaining. Topper is about a young rich couple that dies but then cannot get into heaven because they have done no good or bad deeds. (Smoking, drinking, and carousing must have not fit into the later in 1937.) They set getting Topper to live life for real as the deed needed to get them in.

The fadeing in and out for the ghost scenes was big for the day. Roland Young that plays Topper did a great job acting like he was interacting with ghosts when they were invisable. Cary Grant was very humorus and Constance Bennett was more so as his dead wife. A very attractive lady in an eligant but playful way.

Topper takes a Trip picked up where the first left off, with Topper's wife wanting to divorce him. Young and Bennett returned for this one, with Grtant being too big a star to play a supporting role. It was very good as well. I would recommend both if you enjoy a good romantic comedy. It was actually refreashing to watch and adult movie without profanity, nudity, or graphic violence.

Kegboy
01-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I have great respect for actors who can do comedy, it is far harder than it looks or seems.

Joss Whedon said in the commentary for Serenity that when he has a difficult emotional role to fill, he likes to go with a good comedic actor. He effectively said, "If you can do comedy well, you can do anything."

Mourning
01-06-2008, 06:36 PM
Just saw "Everything is Illuminated" again this night. I have to be in the right state of mind/mood to watch it. Beautifull movie, especially the last 30 mins.

Regards,

Hicks
01-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Joss Whedon said in the commentary for Serenity that when he has a difficult emotional role to fill, he likes to go with a good comedic actor. He effectively said, "If you can do comedy well, you can do anything."

Right. I keep thinking about that quote from Whedon when I think about the actors for the supporting roles for Star Trek that Abrams has brought in.

N8R
01-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Shoot Em Up

It was better than expected. Very unrealistic but I dont think it was trying to be real in any way. A lot of good one liners and a lot of killing and violence as well as nudity and poo in the face. Everything a movie needs really.

31andonly
01-07-2008, 01:57 AM
The phrase "a real genocide began to happen" makes it seem like the movie taught you something you didn't previously know... I'd hope that isn't the case.

No no, of course I already knew before, but reading something in the news (or wherever) is a different story than watching this movie and seeing how it really happended to the people..you know what I want to say?

bellisimo
01-07-2008, 06:47 AM
The Kingdom - Wasn't a bad movie.

The Game Plan - better than I thought it would be...worth a watch if you have kids.

Death Sentence - Reminded me of Death Wish movies...

DisplacedKnick
01-07-2008, 07:45 AM
That, and Identity didn't cause me to feel like I was constantly taking breaks to press my forehead against a baseball bat while spinning in place. That director's style just doesn't work for my brain and leaves me dizzy.

I really like this movie.

Yeah - Bourne's one of the few films I think actually plays better on a smaller screen because all the 45 shutter speed action won't give you a headache.

The Special Edition version of the Abyss DVD has an extended version of the film that's 28 minutes long. It's not what I expected which was a few scenes here and there. They had an entirely different plot line, almost completely unrelated to anything in the theatrical version, which they cut out.

EDIT: Arrggh - make that 28 minutes longer.

Basically, the missile sub incident had a bunch of Russian and US ships floating around near each other, there was a collision, tensions escalated and the world was on the verge of nuclear war - the space critters threatened to destroy civilization with gigantic tidal waves and Bud becomes some sort of negotiator while he's in the trough. They took all that out, I never missed it and I'm glad it wasn't there. The story always had a gritty quality to it. This took it into never-never land. The theatrical version of the film is much better.

bellisimo
01-07-2008, 09:31 AM
oh yea - forgot....also watched this movie called Living and Dying - it was craptacular. :D

Hicks
01-07-2008, 10:40 AM
The Special Edition version of the Abyss DVD has an extended version of the film that's 28 minutes long. It's not what I expected which was a few scenes here and there. They had an entirely different plot line, almost completely unrelated to anything in the theatrical version, which they cut out.

Basically, the missile sub incident had a bunch of Russian and US ships floating around near each other, there was a collision, tensions escalated and the world was on the verge of nuclear war - the space critters threatened to destroy civilization with gigantic tidal waves and Bud becomes some sort of negotiator while he's in the trough. They took all that out, I never missed it and I'm glad it wasn't there. The story always had a gritty quality to it. This took it into never-never land. The theatrical version of the film is much better.

Yeah actually the first time I saw The Abyss it was the Special Edition. I've seen bits and pieces of the theatrical edition on TV multiple times and it's just not the same. It always just feels like things were taken out that shouldn't have been. The "extras" do take it to another place, but I was cool with it.

JayRedd
01-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Glory.

Still amazing. Probably my favorite Denzel performance. His speech in the drum circle is chilling.

Hicks
01-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Glory.

Still amazing. Probably my favorite Denzel performance. His speech in the drum circle is chilling.

I love that movie. The final assault is amazing.

Mourning
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Saw "Elizabeth. The Golden Age" last night in the cinema. I liked it, though, but this is inevitable almost in pretty big productions, some of the nuancies were lost.

Some of those:

- Philips II, the Spanish King, not only send his "Armada" to England, because of piracy from English (and Dutch) ships in the Carribbean, but also because of the support Elizabeth had given to the war of independence that was raging in the most prosperous/rich provinces under Spanish Rule, namely The Netherlands.

- The English fleet wasn't as outnumbered as pictured. The English (and Dutch) ships were much smaller though, but also much better suited to manouevring, which was a major asset.

- English landforces are depicted near the coast and the insinuation is that the invasion of England is a matter of hours, however in reality only part of the Spanish Armada (a huge part though) was engaged who were on their way to ports in Flanders where the rest of the Armada was waiting aswell as additional ground forces.

- The Armada wasn't destroyed in one battle, though the battle of Grevelingen which is depicted is by far the most important. Several other naval battles followed after it with English and Dutch fleets as the Armada tried to withdraw to Spain via the Eastern English shores, Scotland and Ireland. The storms and cliffs in and around especially Ireland claimed a high number of Spanish ships.

All historical tidbits. Still mentioning in the beginning that England was the only one standing up to Spain as the dominant power in Europe is factually incorrect. The Spanish armies were locked in a brutal war in it's wealthiest and most tax rewarding and producing provinces in the area that constituted the Spanish Netherlands at that time (The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg present day). I think France though not actively at war with Spain at that time, might have something to say about that statement aswell.

Anyway, I still thought it was decenly accurate, liked the atmosphere of the movie and thought Clive Owen's acting was actually the best that I think I have seen from him in years. Cate Blanchett puts down another good role as Elizabeth IMO.

Regards,

Note: it's not a warmovie really IMO.

Natston
01-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Seeing as my intranet was down for a week due to a unforeseen circumstance (not paying the bill), I got in a few movies...

Tremors - Always a fun movie, and kinda cool to see the cheap special effects in HD...

The Bourne Supremacy - Watched it just to prep myself for The Bourne Ultimatum. As with Tremors, I was also watching a movie I had seen before but not in HD.

The Bourne Ultimatum - It was a good movie but I don't like how the trilogy wasn't so much for advancing Bourne's character but becoming formulaic in 'catching the bad guys that are supposed to good guys by a good guy that is portrayed by a bad guy.'

Eastern Promises - It was okay and it was much better than A History of Violence (which I hated) but as with AHOV at the end I asked, 'That's it????'. And thats what she asked as well

The Simpsons Movie- Liked it for the most part, but it was nothing special.

Matchstick Men Solid Movie - Fell for the twist though, and after the twist I did like how Cage didn't get revenge and how the ending was bittersweet.

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby- Absolutely terrible.

Live Free or Die Hard- Liked it and accepted the outrageous parts until Willis was standing on a jet in midflight and crashing.

LG33
01-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Tremors - Always a fun movie, and kinda cool to see the cheap special effects in HD...

I just bought all four of them - I've only seen the first three - on DVD for 14.99, making it possibly the best purchase of the young year for me. :)

The Hero
01-10-2008, 10:13 PM
i saw "one missed call" on friday :)

heywoode
01-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Saw "Elizabeth. The Golden Age" last night in the cinema. I liked it, though, but this is inevitable almost in pretty big productions, some of the nuancies were lost.

Some of those:

- Philips II, the Spanish King, not only send his "Armada" to England, because of piracy from English (and Dutch) ships in the Carribbean, but also because of the support Elizabeth had given to the war of independence that was raging in the most prosperous/rich provinces under Spanish Rule, namely The Netherlands.

- The English fleet wasn't as outnumbered as pictured. The English (and Dutch) ships were much smaller though, but also much better suited to manouevring, which was a major asset.

- English landforces are depicted near the coast and the insinuation is that the invasion of England is a matter of hours, however in reality only part of the Spanish Armada (a huge part though) was engaged who were on their way to ports in Flanders where the rest of the Armada was waiting aswell as additional ground forces.

- The Armada wasn't destroyed in one battle, though the battle of Grevelingen which is depicted is by far the most important. Several other naval battles followed after it with English and Dutch fleets as the Armada tried to withdraw to Spain via the Eastern English shores, Scotland and Ireland. The storms and cliffs in and around especially Ireland claimed a high number of Spanish ships.

All historical tidbits. Still mentioning in the beginning that England was the only one standing up to Spain as the dominant power in Europe is factually incorrect. The Spanish armies were locked in a brutal war in it's wealthiest and most tax rewarding and producing provinces in the area that constituted the Spanish Netherlands at that time (The Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg present day). I think France though not actively at war with Spain at that time, might have something to say about that statement aswell.

Anyway, I still thought it was decenly accurate, liked the atmosphere of the movie and thought Clive Owen's acting was actually the best that I think I have seen from him in years. Cate Blanchett puts down another good role as Elizabeth IMO.

Regards,

Note: it's not a warmovie really IMO.

History major, are we?!

Seriously, those are nice comments. I will watch the movie sometime now...

AesopRockOn
01-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Bird - Damn, as long as you don't hate bebop (and if you do I want you to wear aluminum foil from now on so we know who you are), you will be moved. RIP Yardbird.

JayRedd
01-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Bird - Damn, as long as you don't hate bebop (and if you do I want you to wear aluminum foil from now on so we know who you are), you will be moved. RIP Yardbird.

Really good. Agreed on the foil.

sweabs
01-12-2008, 02:33 PM
It's a great film, Aesop.

I watched a movie called Whipped the other night. It was on CityTV at about 2:00am. It was HORRIBLE. Honestly, one of the worst movies I've ever watched. Yet, I watched the entire thing.

Natston
01-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Fracture

Okay movie, easily forgettable though...

BoomBaby31
01-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Went to see JUNO last night. Very good indie type movie, lots of good rare music in the film as well.

Mourning
01-13-2008, 04:47 PM
History major, are we?!

Seriously, those are nice comments. I will watch the movie sometime now...

Haha, no, but I do have an interest in military history, military developments and politics, so I guess that sort of explains it :D.

Keep in mind though it's not a war movie. I don't really know how to characterize it... has elements of a warmovie, drama, biography and romance. I liked it though.

Saw "3:10 to Yuma" yesterday. LOVED IT! Easily one of the best westerns of the last 2 decennia even though it's a remake. Crowe and Bale absolutely make this a good movie. Go see it.

Regards,

Hoop
01-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Went to see JUNO last night. Very good indie type movie, lots of good rare music in the film as well.
Juno is a very good movie.

Unclebuck
01-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Haha, no, but I do have an interest in military history, military developments and politics, so I guess that sort of explains it :D.

Keep in mind though it's not a war movie. I don't really know how to characterize it... has elements of a warmovie, drama, biography and romance. I liked it though.

Saw "3:10 to Yuma" yesterday. LOVED IT! Easily one of the best westerns of the last 2 decennia even though it's a remake. Crowe and Bale absolutely make this a good movie. Go see it.

Regards,

We continue to have the same taste in movies - I loved 3:10 to Yuma, and I usually don't like westerns at all.

Gyron
01-14-2008, 11:10 AM
Legally Blond 2.....Yeah, I was bored and it was on TV....

AesopRockOn
01-15-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm Not There - I'm only just a casual Dylan fan, though he's my favorite white artist (I know, I need to quit that), and all of the references and ideas can only be understood with a deep understanding of the man. Despite all that, the film itself, which is supposed to represent the contradictory and erratic nature of Dylan himself, is very well done, rather ambitious, and very well acted. Blanchett (sp?) definitely deserved her medal; though the rest of the cast is on point; I've got a feeling the black kid (Marcus something, the only one that actually sings in the film) will be in many films to come. Highly recommended, especially in this time of possibly regergitated biopics. He's a lucky guy to have lived so long. Good work from Todd Haynes.

"The sun is not yellow, it's chicken."

JayRedd
01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm only just a casual Dylan fan, though he's my favorite white artist (I know, I need to quit that)

Ummm...what about Aesop?

Doug
01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Live Free or Die Hard

I liked this one a lot. Even the stunts (except for the airplane thing) were easy to take in stride.

I was surprised at the lack of 'F-bombs'. The original was chock full of them. I guess they wanted the PG-13.

After the movie we were flipping through the channels and came across Pearl Harbor. The attack had just started, so we watched a bit of that. Then I went off on a 15 minute "lecture" to my son and wife about WWII in the Pacific. It started with the differences between what was happening in the movie and reality. I got through the Battle of Midway before I realized neither one was paying attention to me. Oh, well.

tdubb03
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Watched Juno last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Off the top of my head I'd strongly consider it the movie of the year.*

* I haven't seen There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men

Mourning
01-15-2008, 02:38 PM
[i]It started with the differences between what was happening in the movie and reality. I got through the Battle of Midway before I realized neither one was paying attention to me. Oh, well.

Haha, sounds like me, seriously! I always go on rants on stuff I don't like when historical and (geo-)political things are beying portrayed incorrectly on a serious level (I can live with some minor things... I'm not that bad, atleast ......... that's what I like to think :uhoh: :shudder:) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.

Doug
01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Haha, sounds like me, seriously! I always go on rants on stuff I don't like when historical and (geo-)political things are beying portrayed incorrectly on a serious level (I can live with some minor things... I'm not that bad, atleast ......... that's what I like to think :uhoh: :shudder:) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:.

Yes, I was thinking of your post on Elizabeth when I wrote it mine. Very similar.

One of my least favorite movies ever is The Thin Red Line.

Part of the reason why I hate it so much is one of the initial shots where they showed a destroyer sailing off the coast of Guadalcanal. Except it was a modern frigate. How much could it have cost to get an accurate shot with a model, huh? I understand (now) it wasn't really a "war" movie, but still.

Unclebuck
01-15-2008, 03:33 PM
Watched Juno last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Off the top of my head I'd strongly consider it the movie of the year.*

* I haven't seen There Will Be Blood or No Country For Old Men

Juno is turning into the surprise hit for this time of the year. I'll have to go see it.

No Country for Old men was excellent. Haven't seen "There will be Blood" yet.

Has anyone seen "Atonement" yet. is it too much of a chick flick. The trailer I saw was pretty good.

JayRedd
01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Haven't seen "There will be Blood" yet.

I'm going to see this one tomorrow. Pretty excited for it.

The New Yorker had maybe the most glowing review of it tha I think I've ever seen it publish, dropping lines like this:

"There Will Be Blood, an enthralling and powerfully eccentric American epic"

"I’m not quite sure how it happened, but after making “Magnolia” (1999) and “Punch-Drunk Love” (2002)—skillful but whimsical movies, with many whims that went nowhere—the young writer-director Paul Thomas Anderson has now done work that bears comparison to the greatest achievements of Griffith and Ford."

"The experience chronicled between these two moments is as astounding in its emotional force and as haunting and mysterious as anything seen in American movies in recent years."

"As for Daniel Day-Lewis, his performance makes one think of Laurence Olivier at his most physically and spiritually audacious."

NOTE: This is a fairly in-depth review and talks about some plot points...some which those who prefer going in completely uninformed may consider spoilers. FYI. There's also a Juno review afterwards.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2007/12/17/071217crci_cinema_denby

Naptown_Seth
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
That's Greengrass and I thought it was his method that made United 93 so great. To me U93 and this Bourne are very similar in pacing and style, for obvious reasons.

I saw No Country back at release. Best Coen film yet IMO. It's Fargo except instead of a competition of bungling it's a competition of competent. It's Fargo with the Blood Simple edge.

At the risk of spoiling....
In both cases I think the main police character ends up being about as effective. My buddy said "she caught the guys, but honestly she never found the money nor truly solved the crime. They all died, the victims died, what got solved? So the end of NC is identical in my mind, it's about that cop trying to take the nonsensical nature of the crime they investigated and mesh that with the life they are trying to live.

Juno - another Rushmore/Ghost World. Mouthy young lead learns about life with adult interactions that get weird/romantic. Great performances and strong script, even if it does manipulate the adult/teen situations in a way that aren't realistic in terms of knowledge of life/social. A guy that opened for the Melvins knows more about punk music than EVERY 16 year old, at least classic punk from more than 16 years ago.

Stardust I liked back when it came out. Cute. Not quite sharp comedy like Princess Bride, but in the same ballpark of style and story. Fun enough.

The Golden Globes crap thing was as sad as it gets. Horrible effort, horrible hosts, and a depressing reminder of the WGA strike. It would have been nice to see No Country, Depp, the Diving Bell director, the Mad Men people, etc get up and get noticed, get some air time. The Oscars need to pony up money ASAP. No way they can have something similar.

I'm getting ready to make a serious film run on all these top flicks now out or hitting DVD. Gotta catch up with the season.

I have a serious jones on for There Will Be Blood to open. DD Lewis is THE actor of our age. I also can't wait for Be Kind, Rewind.

Be ready for Cloverfield to p*** people off. I'll bet you don't see the monster, that this is a "one common man's view of a disaster" a bit in the vein of WotWorlds, but moreso ala Lost. I think it's a good idea, but I think people won't expect it to be that. I could be wrong of course.

Hicks
01-15-2008, 05:37 PM
It still messed with my head in U93, but I accepted it as part of making it feel "real" and went with it. But not with Bourne. That just annoyed me.

AesopRockOn
01-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Ummm...what about Aesop?

Ha, good one. Idk, I'm kind of at the point where "favorite" doesn't necessarily mean the one I listen to the most but the one I respect the most. Everyone in this country has heard three times more Beatles songs than Chuck Berry or LIttle Richard songs; I'm about at the same level in terms of personal apppreciation for the music and songs of the two groups of artists. However, I respect the two dudes more than the stoners. Do I own more Aesop albums? Yeah, but Dylan has ultimately done more for music, not just universally but for many of the artists I listen to who aren't in the hip hop circle.

Oh yeah, this is a movie thread. Just watched Brick again. Love that flick. JGL just beats cats up.

DisplacedKnick
01-16-2008, 07:59 AM
After the movie we were flipping through the channels and came across Pearl Harbor. The attack had just started, so we watched a bit of that. Then I went off on a 15 minute "lecture" to my son and wife about WWII in the Pacific. It started with the differences between what was happening in the movie and reality. I got through the Battle of Midway before I realized neither one was paying attention to me. Oh, well.

I get that way with Medieval films. Kingdom of Heaven, Braveheart - I gave an hour lecture on the errors in Braveheart to a group once. I think their eyes were glazing over about halfway through though they did perk up when I talked about William Wallace getting his jollies on with a girl who was all of 7 the year he died.

sweabs
01-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Watched Idiocracy. It was funny.

Mourning
01-16-2008, 02:14 PM
I get that way with Medieval films. Kingdom of Heaven, Braveheart - I gave an hour lecture on the errors in Braveheart to a group once. I think their eyes were glazing over about halfway through though they did perk up when I talked about William Wallace getting his jollies on with a girl who was all of 7 the year he died.

"Kingdom of Heaven" I HATED that one. Talk about moving a 21st century attitude and love story into the medieval time frame.

I actually did like "The Thin Red Line" a lot, though the FFG in the back is a little annoying if you pay attention to it (I chose to ignore it :D).

One movie you guys should maybe see is "Warriors" about British UN Forces (having their hands completely tied) in Bosnia in 1993. Maybe the best wardrama I have ever seen. Truly brilliant IMO. I must have seen it 7 or 8 times by now.

Regards,

Doug
01-16-2008, 02:34 PM
I actually did like "The Thin Red Line" a lot, though the FFG in the back is a little annoying if you pay attention to it (I chose to ignore it :D).

That was only a small part of why I didn't like the movie (which I don't want to get into. Heck, it's probably earlier in this thread somewhere.)

For some reason, the FFG made me think that shot was in the present day. It took me a while mentally to realize it was supposed to be 1942. I expected some kind of flashback.

JayRedd
01-16-2008, 06:06 PM
Just watched The Science of Sleep.

This one teeters the line between greatness and incomprehensible. Artistically and thematically it's incredibly lofty, and it certainly hits on all cylinders in many places. And indeed, a lot of the dialogue and scenes are captivating, and the actors are really good across the board.

On the other hand, however, it's all over the place. Essentially, we're watching Gael Garcia Bernal (who's really great as always) go back and forth between being awake and his own eccentric dreamworld, and its increasingly blurry which one we're seeing.

It's quite a bit different than much else you'll ever see (I haven't seen Eternal Sunshine yet). At any rate, it's worth a viewing if you're into this sort of unconventional cinema.

AesopRockOn
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Speaking of unconventional filmmaking, watched Mulholland Drive. Had to do some imdb'ing to get that all down. Gotta watch it again to fully absorb everything (and the bedroom scenes ;)). Recommended.

idioteque
01-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Juno is turning into the surprise hit for this time of the year. I'll have to go see it.

No Country for Old men was excellent. Haven't seen "There will be Blood" yet.

Has anyone seen "Atonement" yet. is it too much of a chick flick. The trailer I saw was pretty good.

CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED.

My GF and some of her friends went to see it and said that there was no way I would be able to sit through it.

And I thoroughly enjoyed "Closer."

sweabs
01-17-2008, 02:17 AM
Just finished watching Juno. It was not what I expected. However, I came away from it feeling good.

DisplacedKnick
01-17-2008, 07:45 AM
"Kingdom of Heaven" I HATED that one. Talk about moving a 21st century attitude and love story into the medieval time frame.

Yeah - especially since Balian actually returned to Jerusalem to rescue his wife - he wasn't running aroung shagging the most convenient Muslim girl he could find. I've come to accept SOME journalistic license in filmmaking but in this case it isn't even necessary. What really happened was he asked Saladin for permission to re-enter Jerusalem while it was under siege to get his wife. Saladin said OK. When he got there he found the defenses in such pathetic shape that he felt compelled to stay but first he sent a letter to Saladin asking permission, which was granted.

That's a great story and a lot to work with. Instead they decided to invent some crap about him getting his happy on with a random girl. :mad:

Hicks
01-17-2008, 10:53 AM
What? A random girl? That wasn't a random girl, or a Muslim. That was Saladin's sister. His wife was already dead in this movie. Furthermore, I don't go into these expecting them to be historically accurate, just that they're slightly based on something that happened. Usually smaller details (sets/costumes/props) are accurate to various degrees. Now, if they advertised themselves as bringing history to life, I'd be upset, but they didn't and I'm not. I thought the movie was OK in theaters, but the director's cut (which adds a lot back in) is much better. Listen to the audio commentary of the DC; they (Director & Writer) know it's not what happened. They weren't trying to be accurate.

DisplacedKnick
01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
What? A random girl? That wasn't a random girl, or a Muslim. That was Saladin's sister. His wife was already dead in this movie. Furthermore, I don't go into these expecting them to be historically accurate, just that they're slightly based on something that happened. Usually smaller details (sets/costumes/props) are accurate to various degrees. Now, if they advertised themselves as bringing history to life, I'd be upset, but they didn't and I'm not. I thought the movie was OK in theaters, but the director's cut (which adds a lot back in) is much better. Listen to the audio commentary of the DC; they (Director & Writer) know it's not what happened. They weren't trying to be accurate.

Ridley Scott has crawled all over himself describing it as an accurate depiction of the conflicts of that time. It is not - it completely misrepresents the tenor and tone of the Crusades. Pretty much garbage.

Just about the only historically accurate item in the entire film was that Guy of Lusignan lost the Battle of Hattin. Beyond that it's pure fiction - starting with Balian being a blacksmith and not a mid-level noble.

That's OK. Historical films are always fictionalized somewhat - heck we don't know enough details about those people to stick to the facts for film. But in this case Balian going back to Jerusalem to rescue his wife would have created as good, or better of a plot line than the one they threw in. Not sure why they felt the need to throw in the Muslim girl - maybe to give the impression that if it wasn't for those meanie Templars, Christians and Muslims would all get together and sing Kumbaya - never mind that they'd been killing each other for 500 years by the time the film was set.

But at least it was better than Braveheart - particularly since Gibson defends that film as historically accurate. And on a positive note, I thought Saladin was portrayed fairly well - maybe a little too sympathetically since he wasn't above mass slaughter when it suited him but not too bad.

sweabs
01-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Finally worked up the courage to watch United 93.

I thought I'd be ready to watch it. But I guess I wasn't...or I guess this is just the reaction most people get. Because I haven't shed tears from watching a movie in a long time.

I went through so many different stages during the movie. For about the first 20 minutes, I kept telling myself to turn it off. That way I wouldn't have to see.

For about the next hour, I was stressed. I have no other way of putting it...sounds weird - being stressed during a movie. But it was painful to watch. I knew what was going to happen - but I kept hoping it would turn out different.

For the last part, I was just done. I don't know - I can't imagine everything going through the people's heads. I can't imagine that situation. But it happened. From the chaos on ground and in air-traffic centres, to the chaos on the plane...and the communication problems on the ground and on the plane. I couldn't imagine. It offends me when people say that 9/11 was a conspiracy.

God Bless all those who lost their lives on 9/11/01.

heywoode
01-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Hit me just as hard, rcarey.

I watched Good Luck Chuck tonight. Pretty cheesy, but I finally put it together that Dane Cook is the restaurant grill guy in Waiting....the one who puts his pubes on as a garnish for the lady who was being a beyotch.

I thought the movie was pretty cute, and it was all the more bearable because Jessica Alba is the hottest woman on the PLANET. That phrase is overused, and hyperbole always waters down statements of this magnitude. Regardless of all that, Jessica Alba is the hottest woman on the PLANET. It is insane how hot she is. No human being, man or woman, should be that attractive. Sigh.

:fireworks:love::love::love::love::love::fireworks

sweabs
01-18-2008, 02:38 AM
A History of Violence.

Way too short. I liked the direction it was going in...but it finishes, and I'm left with a bunch of questions.

Mourning
01-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Ridley Scott has crawled all over himself describing it as an accurate depiction of the conflicts of that time. It is not - it completely misrepresents the tenor and tone of the Crusades. Pretty much garbage.

Just about the only historically accurate item in the entire film was that Guy of Lusignan lost the Battle of Hattin. Beyond that it's pure fiction - starting with Balian being a blacksmith and not a mid-level noble.

That's OK. Historical films are always fictionalized somewhat - heck we don't know enough details about those people to stick to the facts for film. But in this case Balian going back to Jerusalem to rescue his wife would have created as good, or better of a plot line than the one they threw in. Not sure why they felt the need to throw in the Muslim girl - maybe to give the impression that if it wasn't for those meanie Templars, Christians and Muslims would all get together and sing Kumbaya - never mind that they'd been killing each other for 500 years by the time the film was set.

But at least it was better than Braveheart - particularly since Gibson defends that film as historically accurate. And on a positive note, I thought Saladin was portrayed fairly well - maybe a little too sympathetically since he wasn't above mass slaughter when it suited him but not too bad.

:ding:

James Bond
01-18-2008, 11:43 AM
Even though I haven't seen it, I'm thinking that there may have to be an extra thread for Cloverfield. It looks like it may be one of those movies that just needs its own thread.

I won't be able to see it until next weekend though.
:(

sweabs
01-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Animal House.

It was okay.

Bball
01-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Animal House.

It was okay.

It was a house and they lived and partied like animals... what more did you want?

;)

-Bball

Hicks
01-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Cloverfield. See the thread on it for my thoughts.

OakMoses
01-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Juno. I liked it.

sweabs
01-18-2008, 08:03 PM
The Pianist.

One of the best films I've seen. In fact, I'm probably okay with saying it's my favourite. It was brilliant, horrifying, revealing, powerful, and inspirational. I'm sure I could find more words to describe it if I wanted.

The scene where he plays the piano for the German officer is moving.

N8R
01-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Idiocracy

Pretty good but I think I expected more. There were funny parts and it is more believable that in the future it will be filled with morons instead of all intelligent people.

sweabs
01-19-2008, 01:34 AM
Crash.

I thought it was a little over-the-top. Seemed as though every single person in the movie was a racist. And I couldn't put up with Ludacris as an actor...let alone his character annoyed me.

Unclebuck
01-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Juno was really really good. It was funny, sweet, heart warming, the story and the characters just pull you in, and soon you care about what happens to the,

Highly recommend it .

It was the best movie I've seen since early last year.

Go see it

sweabs
01-19-2008, 04:57 AM
Fire in the Sky.

Back when I was in elementary school - some friends said this was a real good UFO/alien flick, and scary at that. It's based on a true story. To be honest though, I found it kind of slow for the most part. Has anyone else seen it? And does anyone have any recommendations for a good/scary alien-type movie? (I've seen Signs already).

Mourning
01-19-2008, 06:48 AM
The Pianist.

One of the best films I've seen. In fact, I'm probably okay with saying it's my favourite. It was brilliant, horrifying, revealing, powerful, and inspirational. I'm sure I could find more words to describe it if I wanted.

"The Pianist" is brilliant, yes.

Hicks
01-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Fire in the Sky really scared me as a kid just for the abduction scene(s).

sweabs
01-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Fire in the Sky really scared me as a kid just for the abduction scene(s).
Yeah, like I said - I was told about the movie by some friends during a sleepover in grade 8 and they said it was frightening. It probably shouldn't have taken me 10 years to finally go out and see it. It likely would have had more of an effect on me then.

Pig Nash
01-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Cloverfield, quite good.

Bball
01-19-2008, 04:00 PM
Bourne Supremecy.

Not great... not bad...

Car chases are getting to the point they really bore me so that hurt the movie in my mind. It's getting to the point I can only tolerate 1... and that is getting questionable. This had more than 1.

-Bball

JayRedd
01-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Finally saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night.

Incredibly well-made and really thought-provoking. The story is rather interesting and a timeless subject (basically, the inseparable connection between love and pain), but it's really one of those movies that's acutely personal, as it makes constant reference to recalling memories and failed/great relationships.

Jim Carrey was very good. So was Kate Winslet to a lesser degree. And, heck, I even enjoyed a Kirsten Dunst performance for maybe the first time in my life.

The way the story is displayed/directed/shot/whatever is rather unconventional and non-sequential...so you might not like it if you're a stickler for conventional narrative. Some also complain that it's confusing and ends ambiguously.

And though I wasn't a huge fan of Being John Malkovich, between that, Eternal Sunshine and Adaptation (a big-time favorite of mine despite my disdain for all things Nic Cage), it's hard to argue that Charlie Kaufman isn't the most original and creative scriptwriter in Hollywood.

The Pianist.

Breathtaking.

Crash.

I thought it was a little over-the-top. Seemed as though every single person in the movie was a racist. And I couldn't put up with Ludacris as an actor...let alone his character annoyed me.

Horrible. Mexican locksmith story was the only story line I liked...though that was quite good.

Natston
01-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Finally saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind last night.

Yeah I really liked it. It's impressive that a lot of the movie didn't require CGI, it relied mostly on camera work...

sweabs
01-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Horrible. Mexican locksmith story was the only story line I liked...though that was quite good.
Hah - I was exactly the same!

I'll have to check out Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

N8R
01-20-2008, 05:18 AM
No Country for Old Men

Very good. Like Uncle Buck had said it is nice to see a movie that doesnt rely on music to tell the story. I did think it ended ubruptly though. Sort of a different ending to say the least. Not your typical ending which is something that I like. Very unpredictable.

N8R
01-20-2008, 07:45 AM
The Pianist

Good movie. Not the best movie I have ever seen but well acted and good story. My only question is were there supposed to be subtitles when they spoke in German? Cause I downloaded the movie and had to subtitles so I had no idea what they were saying for a good portion. I assumed a lot about it.

DisplacedKnick
01-20-2008, 10:01 AM

Terrible movie IMO - can't believe it got Best Picture. The only reason it got it was a paroxysm of self-congratulation by Hollywood.

They decided to depict racism - only they were about 50 years too late. Today's racism isn't a cop feeling up an upper-middle class black woman. Today's racism is a racial glass ceiling, people getting poor service in dept stores, a black person going to a bank and not getting a small business loan he or she would get if white, school redistricting, rezonings, municipality construction/renewal/road funding decisions, etc. It's much less obvious in most cases - and in many ways more dangerous.

Something like it would have been a good film in the 50's or 60's. Today it lets someone who spits on minorities from his car actually feel good about himself. Couldn't stand that movie.

sweabs
01-20-2008, 03:41 PM
The Pianist

Good movie. Not the best movie I have ever seen but well acted and good story. My only question is were there supposed to be subtitles when they spoke in German? Cause I downloaded the movie and had to subtitles so I had no idea what they were saying for a good portion. I assumed a lot about it.
Yes there were subtitles. Maybe you shouldn't DOWNLOAD you huge jerk. But seriously - there are .srt files you can download that will provide subtitles to things...errr...I think....

JayRedd
01-20-2008, 03:42 PM
There Will Be Blood.

Looks like Daniel Day is about to join Nicholson, Brando, Hanks, Hoffman and Tracy in the two-statue club.

He's simply captivating as oil man Daniel Plainview.

He just totally becomes this tragically flawed character in what can be loosely considered a new-age Citizen Kane tale. What's really impressive is that he's on screen for roughly 90% of the movie and it doesn't even seem odd.

I can see how some people will not like the overall story (not a lot happens honestly) but this performance is as monumental and memorable as anything I've seen in some time (imagine a more successful and ambitious Bill the Butcher with 2 hours 15 minutes of screen time).

Paul Dano (mute kid from Little Miss Sunshine) was rather good too, and the score by Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead was truly great.

Go see it.