PDA

View Full Version : What movie did you last watch?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

Stryder
11-24-2006, 07:51 PM
"Zathura"

- Eh, a decent kids movie.

"Ong Bak"

- Very good. Tony Jaa is incredible. Seriously.

"Brick"

- Very good film noir. I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. Go rent it if you haven't seen it already.

indytoad
11-25-2006, 10:41 PM
The Pink Panther. The original. Now I realize just how lame the remake really was.

The Sentinel. I guess blurry slo-mo and horizonal wipes are all the rage now. And why was Eva Longoria's character even in this movie? If it was for eye candy, they did a terrible job. I will give it credit for being the first movie I've seen where the climactic finale is in Toronto.

IndyToad
Fight the power

AesopRockOn
11-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny - You gotta really love Black's comedic style to laugh at this. It has its moments but doesn't utilize instances where things/characters could have been funnier. It's a very specific type of comedy so I'm not surprised it didn't crack the top ten this weekend. If you've seen their other skits and like them, you might check this flick out. If not, have a movie to watch afterwards.

bellisimo
11-27-2006, 08:26 AM
basic instinct 2...it literally put me to sleep

Mourning
11-27-2006, 10:19 AM
basic instinct 2

:puke:

... And I haven't even seen it!!! ;)

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

317Kim
11-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Happy Feet - was better than I thought

Any Given Sunday - always been a good movie

Mourning
12-03-2006, 08:23 AM
Any Given Sunday - always been a good movie

Yeah, I have liked that movie since I saw it in the cinema. There seem to be a lot of people having a problem with this movie though. Maybe, because Stone is the director? I don't know, if that IS the reason for most though it seems a little narrow-minded.

Anyway, I saw "El Alamein", an Italian war movie, yesterday. It was ok, nothing earth shattering, just ok.

I also saw "The Brotherhood of War", a Korean war movie. I really liked this one. Brutal and it seems a little overdone at times with regards to what happens, but damn, this movie I would like to recommend. It's about two brothers in Korea. The war breaks out and they are both forced to enlist and move to the frontline. The older brother wants to win a medal, so he gets the privilege to send his younger, and more vulnerable, brother home, etc. Good movie IMO.

"Silent Hill", I never played the game, so I didn't really know what to expect. Nothing special, but entertaining and a pretty original storyline for a horrormovie. Just a nice to see once, nothing wrong with that.

Regards,

Mourning:cool:

indytoad
12-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Garden State. If anything, it impressed upon me George Lucas' remarkable skill in making Natalie Portman seem like a terrible actress.

Drowning Mona. Hilarious.

Dumb and Dumber. Suprisingly, one of those movies that gets funnier every time.

IndyToad
The most evil preacher

DisplacedKnick
12-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Saw The DaVinci Code Friday. Ordinarily with historical movies I watch them twice. The first time I always spend it making mental points about all the historical errors while the 2nd I can just enjoy it as a movie. Worked for Braveheart and Kingdom of Heaven.

I don't think I'll do this here - the historical screwups were mammoth but in this case I don't think it's a movie I'd enjoy anyway - way too much telling and too little showing throughout. I don't sense an enjoyable movie lurking behind the historical mockery.

Has Tom Hanks ever given a worse performance?

12-04-2006, 07:48 PM
ENEMY AT THE GATES - Cant believe i missed this movie!!

Kegboy
12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Has Tom Hanks ever given a worse performance?

Joe vs the Volcano?

DisplacedKnick
12-04-2006, 10:11 PM
ENEMY AT THE GATES - Cant believe i missed this movie!!

Good show - I bought the DVD.

dannyboy
12-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Dutch
Boomerang
Conan The Barbarian
Audition

Natston
12-05-2006, 03:46 PM
The Matrix

Still so much better than the sequels...

AesopRockOn
12-05-2006, 10:38 PM
All three of The Prophecy's.

Damn, Christopher Walken's good.

Damn those movies weren't.

Bball
12-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Pirates II

I thought the first one was pretty good. This one was just corny and overblown. IMHO. But it is still 200,000 times better than "Click". ;)

-Bball

George Foreman
12-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Texas Chainsaw Massacre
I haven't freak'n flinched that much since Passion of the Christ.

DrBadd01
12-07-2006, 10:34 PM
The Man Who Sued God

Billy Connolly is brilliant in this film.

DisplacedKnick
12-08-2006, 07:00 AM
Pirates II

I thought the first one was pretty good. This one was just corny and overblown. IMHO. But it is still 200,000 times better than "Click". ;)

-Bball

Saw that last night. That was my first impression - too many "slapstick" action scenes.

Not as good as the first but still OK.

Unclebuck
12-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Pirates II

-Bball

I thought Pirates II was like being on a roller coster for 2.5 hours. I like roller coasters and all but after a few minutes it can get to be just too much and that is what Pirates II was. It was exhausting and by about the 1 hour mark if I could have I would have walked out and it got worse in the last 90 minutes, I was so glad it was over and I could get off the ride.

DrBadd01
12-08-2006, 02:17 PM
I thought Pirates II was like being on a roller coster for 2.5 hours. I like roller coasters and all but after a few minutes it can get to be just too much and that is what Pirates II was. It was exhausting and by about the 1 hour mark if I could have I would have walked out and it got worse in the last 90 minutes, I was so glad it was over and I could get off the ride.

So for somebody who hasn't seen it should I use 2.5 hours of my life on it?

DisplacedKnick
12-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Watched Miami Vice last night.

I am now suffering through a period of remorse for two wasted hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Ugh.

Unclebuck
12-09-2006, 09:27 AM
So for somebody who hasn't seen it should I use 2.5 hours of my life on it?

I would advise against it, but I know a lot of people liked it, although I don't know of anyone who liked the second one better than the first.

Keep in mind that I rarely like the big "summer action movie"

Mr. Pink
12-09-2006, 11:00 PM
I saw Apocalypto. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. I wish the movie was 3 hours longer than what it was. I recommend it to ANYONE that loves to watch History films. Great action, great drama, and marvelous plot.

I just got back from Blood Diamond. That is also very very good. Another good movie to check out. Really good action, some pretty good drama in it. When the movie is moving fast...it's fast. But when it slows down, it slows down tremendously. Seems like the movie was 4 hours long, but I thought it was worth it.

indytoad
12-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Clerks II. Pretty funny. I loved Elias. I think Kevin Smith has been watching too many romantic comedies lately though.

IndyToad
Who is this person?

avoidingtheclowns
12-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Strangers With Candy - not for people who didn't enjoy the tv show. has some amazingly hilarious lines and an interesting guest cast (Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Sir Ian Holm, Matthew Broderick, Sarah Jessica Parker, etc.) outside of that though...

Mourning
12-15-2006, 03:01 PM
"The Departed", pretty good. I liked it and was surprised Leonardo actually got shot.

Spicoli
12-15-2006, 03:20 PM
"The Departed", pretty good. I liked it and was surprised Leonardo actually got shot.

"When I was your age they used to say you could become cops or criminals. What I'm saying to you is this... When you're facing a loaded gun, what's the difference? "

-Frank Costello

Unclebuck
12-15-2006, 04:46 PM

Surprised that you liked it or surprised by what happended in the movie.

The best two movies I saw this year were "The Departed" and "United 93"

indytoad
12-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Talladega Nights. I liked Anchorman a lot, so I was looking forward to this one, but I was disappointed. Too many of the scenes either fell flat or went on way too long (usually both). The best part of the movie was the one-liners and public service announcement extras on the DVD. That and Gary Cole.

IndyToad
Gobulous

AesopRockOn
12-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Talladega Nights. I liked Anchorman a lot, so I was looking forward to this one, but I was disappointed. Too many of the scenes either fell flat or went on way too long (usually both). The best part of the movie was the one-liners and public service announcement extras on the DVD. That and Gary Cole.

IndyToad
Gobulous

You're right in that it wasn't on par with Anchorman (what is?) but it was still the funniest movie of the year behind Borat (unless I'm missing something which is very possible). I haven't gotten the DVD yet (has it come out) but I'm definitely thinking about it.

Damn, Good Will Hunting is good though I'm pretty sure Affleck didn't write a word of it, lol. The message for Damon is good, but seriously kids, go to college. You'll get drunk.

Mourning
12-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Surprised that you liked it or surprised by what happended in the movie.

The best two movies I saw this year were "The Departed" and "United 93"

Well, actually ... I don't like said actor very much, so, yeah :D I didn't mind what happenned in the movie very much;). But, yeah, I was offcourse speaking about the movie in general terms, when I wrote "liked", and it looked as if I was talking about what happenned to said actor:).

Funny ... those two minutes are two of the best three movies I have seen in the cinema this year aswell. I added "Syriana" as my three though with "Crash" and "Capote" as my numbers four and five respectively.

Regards,

ajbry
12-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Blood Diamond. Great, great film.

Natston
12-16-2006, 11:05 PM
World Trade Center - Future Classic

It's a Wonderful Life - Nuff Said

Raskolnikov
12-17-2006, 09:17 AM
Inside Man with Denzel Washington. I liked it. Good plot.

Gonna watch "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" now.

Mourning
12-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Inside Man with Denzel Washington. I liked it. Good plot.

Gonna watch "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" now.

I thought "Inside Man" was rather dissappointing, maybe I expected too much.

Haven't seen "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" yet, but I want too soon. Doesn't that guy from "The Office" play in that one? Anyway, let me know if it's worth seeying ;).

Regards,

indypacerfan54
12-17-2006, 03:08 PM
I think talledega nights was on par with anchorman. I think anchorman is one of the best comedies of all time and this is on par with it.

I should know because Im the greatest, I wake up every morning and **** excellence...nobody can hang with my stuff.

Will Galen
12-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I just got back from seeing Rocky Balboa. I went to the first showing I could.

Like all the Rocky movies it's over the top. I thought this was a fitting end to the series, however I thought it could have been even better if he hadn't died going out like a warrior.

I enjoyed it, but I think the first Rocky is still my favorite. Stallone did a great acting job. In fact I thought 'some' parts worthy of an Oscar. Oh, by the way, he doesn't die at the end of the movie, I was kidding. (grin)

One other thing. Stallone is 60 years old in real life but no where in the movie does it mention his age. You could think he was in his 40's if you wanted.

Hicks
12-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Will, please, when you talk about a movie that's released within the last year, please put a ***SPOILER WARNING*** before you talk about the plot, or use the [*spoiler] [/*spoiler] tag I specifically added to avoid situations like the one I was just a victim of. I added the tags to your post because as I unfortunately learned, you give away what happens in a movie I wanted to see today or this week, and I don't want to know what happens before I see a movie.

[/disappointed]

Raskolnikov
12-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I thought "Inside Man" was rather dissappointing, maybe I expected too much.

Haven't seen "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" yet, but I want too soon. Doesn't that guy from "The Office" play in that one? Anyway, let me know if it's worth seeying ;).

Regards,

It might be worth seeing if you haven't read the book.

If you did, it's definitely not. It's all in the book actually. Plus they partially turned it into a love story, which is kinda lame. Unless you're too curious to see what they made of it, like me. I've seen it now, so my quest has finally ended.

AesopRockOn
12-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Pursuit of Happyness - It's a very predictable feel good story just in time for the holidays. Simple as that.

DisplacedKnick
12-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Well, with nothing better to do last night I watched Slither.

It was pretty bad but it did possess one redeeming quality - quite a few decent one-liners.

Frex:

Her: What do we do now?
Him: Probably turn into one of those f___ed up things.
Her: That's kind of negative isn't it?
Him: Well, it's been that sort of day.

Bball
12-22-2006, 06:47 AM
I watched Invincible. I'll call 'nice'. It's Disney so don't expect too much salty language on the field or in the lockerroom.

It's a 'feel good' sports movie like "Miracle" (also Disney), "The Rookie", or "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and based on a true story of a supposed average Joe with some natural football ability who tries out for the Philadelphia Eagles football team at age 30.

For anyone who likes sports movies (especially like the ones I mentioned), I can't imagine why you wouldn't like this one.

-Bball

efx
12-22-2006, 01:21 PM
The Fountain. It's Daronovsky so the cinematography is beyond reproach but I felt it made its point so clear in the first 30 minutes or so that it essentially turned into a long beautiful sequence about something we had alerady established earlier on. I wouldn't call it dissapointing but I wouldn't put it up their with his other movies like Requiem for a Dream an Pi.

Bball
12-23-2006, 06:09 AM
World Trade Center.

Definitely toys with the emotions and stays deadly serious throughout. A little more sacharine than United 93 (just not as gritty) but I thought it was good and can certainly recommend it.

A couple of things that I did wonder about as it went along tho. When Stone went to scenes of people around the world watching news reports of the terrorist attacks on 9/11 we only got people watching in concern or horror. We didn't see any of the 'dancing in the streets' that was shown shortly after the event in some middle eastern locale(s). It seems to me that was documented so it should've made it to the movie or else the other scenes should've only shown foreign newsreaders and not focused so much on the people's reactions. One scene like that amongst the several with foreigners watching with concern seems like it would've balanced it better in keeping with accurancy. Especially since there was so many scenes of people outside of the US watching the happenings. It looked like the whole world was shocked and appalled with what was happening. Some rejoiced. Had that scene made it to the movie it might've brought another emotion into play: Anger.

Stone didn't really go there. As a matter of fact, I'd have to watch it again to be sure but I don't think there's any real discussion of who was involved in the attacks. I believe it only got as accusatory as to call them "They". If someone was to come out of a 40 year coma and watch this movie to catch them up on what they've missed they wouldn't know whether it was middle eastern terrorists, the KGB, or eskimoes at the controls of the aircraft.

In United 93 there was plenty to make you angry (and you knew where to direct that anger). WTC stays with playing your heart strings and showing the triumph of human spirit. It doesn't try to push the anger button (not directly anyway).

I thought at some point Stone would go for the patriotic heartstrings and show the raising of the American flag that was photographed and etched into our memory. Possibly as part of a closing montage of sorts (or maybe he did show it in the credits, or atleast after the credits... I didn't watch all the credits).

But while those issues might make it sound like he was promoting an agenda or some political message you have to balance that with what I took as a very patriotic portrayal of the military (and the US Marines in particular). And even a tip of the hat to religion if you want to make the connections.

...So I think I just gave my longest movie review yet in this thread. Good movie sums it up well (and it never felt to me like it was 'too soon' for this movie).

-Bball

Mourning
12-23-2006, 09:57 AM
Ok, thanks for the little piece about "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy", Rasky. I haven't read the book yet and with what I still have lying down here and want to read it is not likely I will the coming months, so I think I will just rent and watch it :).

THE movie I really want to see, but is not here yet, is "Letters from Iwo Jima", the newest Clint Eastwood movie.

Regards,

efx
12-23-2006, 08:46 PM
The Exorcism of Emily Rose on DVD.

Terribly bad movie, it represents how far horror has fallen in recent years.

Mourning
12-23-2006, 10:00 PM
The Exorcism of Emily Rose on DVD.

Terribly bad movie, it represents how far horror has fallen in recent years.

You think that's bad? Go watch "Slither" or "Hostel" ;).

Regards,

indytoad
12-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Wordplay. Crossword puzzle people are way less crazy than Scrabble people.

Ikiru. The Japanese version of Citizen Kane, but slower.

My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Suprisingly, a very good movie, as both a superhero parody and romantic comedy. Also, Anna Faris actually plays a somewhat realistic character. Who knew?

The Twelfth Night. That Shakespere, he's a funny guy.

IndyToad
It's a bird, it's a plane

Natston
12-25-2006, 01:19 AM
V for Vendetta - Had low expectations going in so the movie did exceed them. I need to watch it again to pick up on some things and rip others, but I liked it.

Mourning
12-25-2006, 05:53 AM
Just saw "Sophie Scholl" a German movie about the last days of the students resistance group "Die Weibe Rose" (The White Rose) in general and Sophie Scholl in particular. Pretty damn good!

Regards,

Unclebuck
12-25-2006, 09:15 AM
Finally saw "Little Miss Sunshine". It was good and it was funny, but it was as good or as funny as I expected.

bellisimo
12-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Just watched Gladiator for the umpteenth time.
Hell of a movie.
I do wonder though...if Maximus and William Wallace were to duke it out...who'd win?

bellisimo
12-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Snakes on a Plane....it was definitely cheesy...but I still had fun watching it.

AesopRockOn
12-25-2006, 10:46 PM
My Super Ex-Girlfriend. Suprisingly, a very good movie, as both a superhero parody and romantic comedy. Also, Anna Faris actually plays a somewhat realistic character. Who knew?

LMFAO

Hoop
12-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Night Of The Comet (1984) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087799/ One of my favorite 80's movies.

It's on TMC and FLIX this month and early JAN 07.

12-26-2006, 01:26 AM
THE LAST DRAGON... with Bruce LEEroy and Whos tha masta!!?? SHO NUFF!!

Hicks
12-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Blood Diamond & Rocky Balboa

I enjoyed both very much.

ajbry
12-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Apocalypto.

Good, but not great. I was anticipating better.

bellisimo
12-26-2006, 07:07 PM

after watching that movie tonight, I concur with your statement. :D

DrBadd01
12-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Night at the Museum

Not very good. They tried to put four stories into one movie.

efx
12-28-2006, 01:32 AM
Children of Men.

Probably up there with the best of them this year. Great, absolutely stunning movie.

Mourning
12-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Children of Men.

Probably up there with the best of them this year. Great, absolutely stunning movie.

Never heard about it. What's it about?

Regards,

Hicks
12-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Mallrats. I see now why people mostly look down on it, but it wasn't horrible.

efx
12-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Never heard about it. What's it about?

Regards,

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/children_of_men/ :)

Mourning
12-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Hmmm... looks interesting, though I'm not a Clive Owen fan. WILL see it though.

Regards,

Natston
12-28-2006, 05:26 PM
The Ringer I had really really low expections considering Johnny Knoxville was the lead actor and he played a character pretending to be retarded but...

I was surprised. It had a few laughs and good intentions in the end. It's borderline on the good vs. bad but I would recommend it if one does not mind formulaic movies of the same genre...

Die Hard 2 Suprisingly I had not seen it despite the fact that I had seen the first and the third on numerous times. Typical popcorn action flick...

ajbry
12-28-2006, 08:04 PM
Hmmm... looks interesting, though I'm not a Clive Owen fan. WILL see it though.

Regards,

I saw it a couple weeks ago and would highly recommend it as well. One of the best films I've seen in a while, along with Blood Diamond.

bellisimo
12-29-2006, 09:27 AM
House of Wax - just wanted to see how Paris was going to die....

next movies to watch:

"Little Miss Sunshine", "Dead or Alive", "Goal!" and "You, Me, and Dupree"

Gyron
12-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Crash-Not too bad.

Without a paddle-Sucked beyond all sucking that can be sucked into the sucking abyss.

Lord of the Rings-Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King(I had a sick baby, nothing else I could do but sit and hold him and watch TV, made the time go much quicker)

Dirty Deeds-Typical High School Flick that you could see the end coming from miles away. But still better than "Without a paddle"

The Grinch Stole Christmas(Ron Howard/Jim Carey Version)

Robobtowncolt
12-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Lord of the Rings-Fellowship of the Ring, Two Towers, and Return of the King(I had a sick baby, nothing else I could do but sit and hold him and watch TV, made the time go much quicker)

How's my kid?

Gyron
12-29-2006, 11:37 AM
He has a cold. Didn't you get your damn shots when you were younger?

Really, he's doing great. Just had his first cold.

bellisimo
12-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Little Miss Sunshine - what a bunch of miserable folks...the first hour of the movie I didn't know if I should feel sorry for them or beat the crap out of 'em for being so annoying....second half was better.
PS - kiddie beauty pageants should be banned...they're totally creepy.

Dead Or Alive - videogame is good...the movie is not...'nuff said.

Pig Nash
12-30-2006, 01:04 AM
Se7en. One of my favorites.

DisplacedKnick
12-30-2006, 08:48 AM
Two movies - "My Super ExGirlfriend." Thought it was great - nice twist on the whole superhero thing.

Black Dahlia - terrible for so many reasons. Acting, script, stereotyping - the story's been basically done a dozen times before (the 40's-era 1st person-narrated outwardly tough-guy cop with a sentimental core) and there was nothing original about plot, script, substance or style. I've never been terribly high on either Scarlett Johansson or Josh Hartnett as actors but after this one I (for the moment anyway) hope to never see them in film again.

If it will save someone from wasting 2 hours of their life I'll happily post a summary. It'll take about 2 lines.

Stryder
12-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Talladega Nights

Not very good. At all. A couple of funny lines in the entire movie. Will Ferrell came off as really, really annoying in this one. Anchorman is on a whole other level than this piece of trash.

Mourning
12-30-2006, 10:01 PM
"Underworld - Evolution" ... starts pretty decent, but can't hold on to it and ends pretty dissappointing and predictable.

SycamoreKen
12-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Night at the Museum - I enjoyed it. First off, if you have kids it is a safe movie to take them to. No foul language and the action is no problem. I thought the concept was cool and the story entertaining. A much better movie than the idiotic, trashy T. Nights.

Stryder
12-31-2006, 10:52 PM
The Descent

Good horror movie. Some nice scary moments. In the Unrated Director's cut, they meshed together the two separate endings of the UK and US versions.

Hicks
01-01-2007, 12:12 PM
It's not that they're meshed together

The US ending is simply the original (UK) ending with the last bit cut out

Mourning
01-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Ah, then I like the Original Ending (UK version) a lot better. Pretty good horror movie btw.

Regards,

Stryder
01-01-2007, 01:50 PM
It's not that they're meshed together

The US ending is simply the original (UK) ending with the last bit cut out

Oh ok. I never saw the version that was in theaters here in the US. I did enjoy the UK ending though.

indytoad
01-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. The spiritual prequel to Oldboy, it's just as rough and possibly even more depressing.

A Shot In the Dark. Been watching the Clouseau films in order, this is the second one. He's actually the main character here, and the movie's much better for it, even without the Pink Panther in the intro.

IndyToad
Obeying stop signs and curing diseases

bellisimo
01-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Goal! - It's a good movie that just gives you a glimpse of the life of an athlete

Step Up - If you like dance flicks...its on par with the rest of 'em.

The Descent - It was an OK movie...was weird seeing a bunch of hungry Gollums. :)

Anchorman - It was better than Tal. Nights...but I guess I had higher expectations...

AesopRockOn
01-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Ok, Talladega Nights is nowhere near as bad as some of you have made it out to be. If you expect comic genius (a la Peter Sellers) these days, you're lost. Just sit back and laugh. If you didn't laugh through at least half of that movie, you are lacking today's sense of humor.

Being semi-serious here.

bellisimo
01-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Ok, Talladega Nights is nowhere near as bad as some of you have made it out to be. If you expect comic genius (a la Peter Sellers) these days, you're lost. Just sit back and laugh. If you didn't laugh through at least half of that movie, you are lacking today's sense of humor.

Being semi-serious here.

I'm sorry...I didn't know that we can do a sense of humor update...mind telling me where I might be able to find the latest version so that i can download it to my brain? ;)

Mourning
01-03-2007, 08:23 AM
I don't like the type of humor in "Anchorman" at all. Totally unsophisticated and predictable, stereotypical, unoriginal and just not funny. I can enjoy unsophisticated humor ("Dumb and Dumber" forexample), but this movie did nothing for me, sorry.

I like "The Office", "Blackadder", "As good as it gets", "Meet the Parents", "There's something about Mary" and "High Fidelity", "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" just to give some examples.

Regards,

bellisimo
01-03-2007, 10:51 AM
I don't like the type of humor in "Anchorman" at all. Totally unsophisticated and predictable, stereotypical, unoriginal and just not funny. I can enjoy unsophisticated humor ("Dumb and Dumber" forexample), but this movie did nothing for me, sorry.

I like "The Office", "Blackadder", "As good as it gets", "Meet the Parents", "There's something about Mary" and "High Fidelity", "Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang" just to give some examples.

Regards,

what about "Analyze This"?

Mourning
01-03-2007, 10:59 AM
Not a great fan of it, but I can see why people would like it as opposed to "T. Nights" and "Anchorman".

Roy Munson
01-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I watched "The Good Sheperd" on New Years eve. It was pretty good, but not super-duper great. It's pretty complicated and a little hard to follow, even for someone who likes 20th century history. My wife, who is younger than me, had a lot harder time understanding what was going on because she's not as familiar with the history of that era.

Also, as required of any movie produced by, directed by, and starring hollywood ultra-leftists such as DeNiro, Baldwin and dopey Matt Damon, there are some obvious re-writing of history and comments made that paint the soviet union in a better light, and are less flattering to the U.S.A.

However, going in I fully expected that kind of garbage, and really there wasn't as much of it as I was prepared for, so I wasn't really upset by it.

Natston
01-07-2007, 05:01 AM
The Island - Not bad for a Michael Bay film, but it was still a Michael Bay film. Oops, I guess I was supposed to amazed by the over the top and unneeded special effects. Silly me, wanted more from the story, actors and dialogue. :puke:

Also the action in the middle was pointless because the mercenaries were supposed to bring the girl back alive but yet it seemed like the were trying to kill her. :rolleyes:

The Sons of Katie Elder - Never was a fan of westerns, but I caught it on TCM and I liked it for the most part.

Mourning
01-07-2007, 05:55 AM
I aggree about your assesment of "The Island", except Scarlett Johansson made it worth it to me :drooling:.

Natston
01-07-2007, 06:14 AM
I aggree about your assesment of "The Island", except Scarlett Johansson made it worth it to me :drooling:.

It takes more than an actress to make me tolerate a Michael Bay film... :-p

Mourning
01-07-2007, 06:42 AM
After about 30 minutes I didn't care much for the film anyway :D:D:D, so I could solely focus on her ;).

lumber man
01-07-2007, 10:06 AM
The Pursuit of Happyness- very good story and amazing acting jobs by wil smith and especially his son. brings a tear of happiness at the end.

DrBadd01
01-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Good Sheperd. I enjoyed it very much. It was Robert De Niro's directorial debut and he didn't disappoint. Good performances from Matt Damon, Angelina Jolie, and William Hurt, as well as Michael Gambon (who nearly stole the show for me). It was a smart movie which made you think. While they are completely different genre's I must say that I enjoyed Good Sheperd much more than Night at the Museum.

bellisimo
01-07-2007, 11:47 AM
It takes more than an actress to make me tolerate a Michael Bay film... :-p

how about Robots that turn into cars/vehicles and vice-versa? :D

lumber man
01-07-2007, 11:53 AM
leaving in about an hour to take my daughter to see "Freedom Writers". anyone see it yet?

avoidingtheclowns
01-07-2007, 12:06 PM
It was Robert De Niro's directorial debut

wrong. he directed "A Bronx Tale" in the early 90s.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0106489/

~~~
recent stuff i've seen...

The Queen... more humor than i expected and fairly enjoyable. helen mirren's performance lives up to the hype.

Inside Man... typically enjoy denzel, love clive owen, enjoy most of spike lee's work and this didn't disappoint.

Little Miss Sunshine... absolutely loved this film. incredible.

The Wicker Man... terribly disappointing. i was hoping for a lot better from neil labute. the only reason i watched the whole thing was a desperation to hope that somehow the ending would bring all this chaos and ridiculous plot together and redeem the film... never happened.

Clerks II... it wasn't bad, certainly not as funny as the original. and it felt fairly forced to me. i did enjoy elias though.

The Black Dahlia... had a lot of the right ingredients: james ellroy, aaron eckhart, brian de palma, etc... but couldn't pull it off. it was tedious to watch.

DrBadd01
01-08-2007, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=avoidingtheclowns;524011]wrong. he directed "A Bronx Tale" in the early 90s.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0106489/

I stand corrected.

On a different note I just saw Blood Diamond. I like it a lot. Finally DiCaprio acts in a film not directed by Scorsesse ;)

DisplacedKnick
01-08-2007, 07:05 AM
The Wicker Man... terribly disappointing. i was hoping for a lot better from neil labute. the only reason i watched the whole thing was a desperation to hope that somehow the ending would bring all this chaos and ridiculous plot together and redeem the film... never happened.

I was so disappointed in this I wasn't going to admit to having seen it.

Usually I like Nick Cage but even his performance was weak.

bellisimo
01-08-2007, 10:07 AM
Monster In Law - Man I have no Idea why people love J-Lo so much...seriously I've seen better butts when I'm walking down the streets of Budapest....and her voice is so annoying....

Trader Joe
01-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Apocalypto- I really don't know what to say about this film. You can't really explain it to anyone who hasnt seen it.

PS-That is NOT a good thing.

Doug
01-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Hoot - Nice little kids film. Some, if not most, of the Hiassen feel seemed to have gotten lost, though. That was disappointing. My kids liked it. They liked the book, too.

Firewall - I expected this to be pretty bad, but I actually thought it was OK. Some suspension of reality is required for proper enjoyment.

The Pink Panther - the Steve Martin remake. Very so-so, but my kids absolutely loved it. They must have watched it 1/2 dozen times since Christmas.

And I watched the end of The Princess Bride the other night. It's pretty much impossible for me to not smile when I watch that movie.

Gyron
01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
I watched Polar express last night. Not too bad for a kids christmas movie. Don't ask me why we were watching a christmas movie in January. Probably just trying to clean off the DVR.

Robobtowncolt
01-08-2007, 02:05 PM
The Hills Have Eyes

Gross. Not scary. Just Gross.

AesopRockOn
01-08-2007, 06:55 PM
Children of Men - kind of leftist but still a very interesting and thought provoking story. A decent amount of hidden stuff and the acting and cinemetography are superb. It was kind of confused and boring in parts and the end could have been more moving but I would definitely recommend it.

bellisimo
01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
History of Violence - it was almost as boring as some of my history lessons....

bellisimo
01-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Apocalypto- I really don't know what to say about this film. You can't really explain it to anyone who hasnt seen it.

PS-That is NOT a good thing.

is that movie in English? or is it similar to Passion where they were speaking their "original" language?

vapacersfan
01-08-2007, 07:54 PM
The Hills Have Eyes

Gross. Not scary. Just Gross.

DUDE!!!!

That is the movie I took that girl who I was "messing with" over the summer last year to go see.

You are correct, just gross, not a scarey movie at all.

Trader Joe
01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
is that movie in English? or is it similar to Passion where they were speaking their "original" language?

Its in Mel Gibson revisionist history language. I don't even think its a real language. Lets put it this way in Mel Gibson land the Mayans are still the dominant native tribe in Mexico when Cortes arrives.

indytoad
01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
The Good Shepherd. Fairly interesting spy movie, but nothing in it really grabbed me. Maybe it's just because I'm not familiar with the time period.

Lost in Translation. Cool movie. Everything about the movie has a very East Asian feel - not just the setting, but the pacing and cinematography too.

IndyToad
At your own risk

Natston
01-09-2007, 05:17 AM
how about Robots that turn into cars/vehicles and vice-versa? :D

"Like my film 'War of the Worlds' and Michael's film 'Armageddon,' 'Transformers' will deliver a grand-scale experience with groundbreaking visual effects that will take your breath away."

I'm not getting my hopes up since I hated War of the Worlds and almost all of the Bay films. I'm sure it'll look good but the story and characters will likely be lame and the special effects will be tainted because of it...

bellisimo
01-09-2007, 06:48 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up since I hated War of the Worlds and almost all of the Bay films. I'm sure it'll look good but the story and characters will likely be lame and the special effects will be tainted because of it...

OH MAN! talk about ruining Transformers....if it is anything like WotW...I'd be :censored: The characters were so annoying in that movie!

bellisimo
01-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Lost in Translation. Cool movie. Everything about the movie has a very East Asian feel - not just the setting, but the pacing and cinematography too.

that is one of the few movies that I could just NOT watch till the end...

It started off interesting but then....

it was moving.....too.....S...l...o...w....

Its a nice movie for Travel Channel to display I guess :-p

Mourning
01-09-2007, 01:11 PM
History of Violence - it was almost as boring as some of my history lessons....

Yup! Expected WAY more out of that one too.

Unclebuck
01-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Children of Men - kind of leftist but still a very interesting and thought provoking story. A decent amount of hidden stuff and the acting and cinemetography are superb. It was kind of confused and boring in parts and the end could have been more moving but I would definitely recommend it.

I just saw "Children of Men" today My take is that technically it was a great movie - the directing, the cinemetography - the sound, the lighting all that kind of stuff was first rate and certaining award worthy. The acting was also excellent. There were a few 'action scenes" I guess I'd call them, that were thrilling - and technically a masterpiece.

However, "The message" fell a little flat to me. The big emotional ending fell a little flat to me. I didn't find the film that thought provokingat all really.

But the movie was excellent and I'd recommend highly. It takes about 20 minutes to kinda get kick started though but after that it held my attention for sure.

There were a couple of scenes I may not ever forget

Pig Nash
01-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Accepted. eh.

SoupIsGood
01-13-2007, 08:56 PM
The Night Listener

bellisimo
01-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Borat - i wasn't sure to see it or not...but decided to finally give it a look...some scenes were a bit too much really....I just don't understand why some movies think people like to get grossed out?

Ragnar
01-14-2007, 03:00 PM
I just saw "Children of Men" today My take is that technically it was a great movie - the directing, the cinemetography - the sound, the lighting all that kind of stuff was first rate and certaining award worthy. The acting was also excellent. There were a few 'action scenes" I guess I'd call them, that were thrilling - and technically a masterpiece.

However, "The message" fell a little flat to me. The big emotional ending fell a little flat to me. I didn't find the film that thought provokingat all really.

But the movie was excellent and I'd recommend highly. It takes about 20 minutes to kinda get kick started though but after that it held my attention for sure.

There were a couple of scenes I may not ever forget

Thanks for the review I was thinking about watching this but had not decided. I will now.

vapacersfan
01-16-2007, 11:31 PM
I just got Gridiron gang from netflix today and watched it when I got back from class.

First thought, Holy god Jurnee Smolett is hot.

The movie was pretty amazing, I really enjoyed it.

I wasnt able to read up on it on line, but it sounds like the player actually getting shot during the game really happened. Crazy stuff

After seeing this I would really like to see the documentary that was made back in the early 90's

Bball
01-17-2007, 12:16 AM
Note to VA... Ummmmm is that not a spoiler?

"Little Miss Sunshine"

Well... if I'd never heard of the movie and just caught it on HBO late some night I would've liked it better. I didn't think it lived up to the hype. It was funny... but not as funny or as good as I expected.

-Bball

Stryder
01-17-2007, 07:10 AM
"The Producers"

The remake with Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. I enjoyed it alot. Lane is always entertaining. Who wouldn't like the Broadway musical, Springtime for Hitler? I really enjoyed the original with Gene Wilder too.

vapacersfan
01-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Note to VA... Ummmmm is that not a spoiler?

"Little Miss Sunshine"

Well... if I'd never heard of the movie and just caught it on HBO late some night I would've liked it better. I didn't think it lived up to the hype. It was funny... but not as funny or as good as I expected.

-Bball

I didnt think it was, but I'll edit it.....

Unclebuck
01-18-2007, 09:21 AM

-Bball

I felt the same way when I watched it a couple of weeks ago

bellisimo
01-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Employee of the Month - an alright comedy flick that tries to pass on the same messages...

Robobtowncolt
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
Pan's Labyrinth

Engaging and gorgeous movie. Even if you're not a fan of subtitled movies, definitely go see it. Oh, and don't take the kids. I know it's a fairy tale of sorts, but just don't take them.

Children of Men

I agree with Buck mostly. I thought the cinematography was breathtaking at times. You found yourself almost lost in the world that was being created. But about halfway through, the point that it was trying to build up to just kind of fell flat a little. Blame the difficulty of trying to turn a book into a movie. Still, well worth the price of admission just to see some of the scenes.

Gyron
01-19-2007, 02:00 PM
Btown's Bedroom cam.

Edit, forgot to give my review.....

A bit disappointing. Kinda fell flat if you know what I mean. almost droopy of sorts...

AesopRockOn
01-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Employee of the Month - an alright comedy flick that tries to pass on the same messages...

Nah man.

bellisimo
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Nah man.
care to elaborate? nah as in its not alright...or nah as in its more than alright? :)

AesopRockOn
01-19-2007, 04:10 PM
care to elaborate? nah as in its not alright...or nah as in its more than alright? :)

It was a horrible movie, it wasn't even close to funny at any time, Jessica Simpson wasn't utilized, and, if more people had gone to see it, Dane Cook's career might be down in a sewer somewhere. Cook needs to stick to stand-up and the movie should be incinerated. :)

efx
01-19-2007, 04:28 PM
I watched Supersize Me. I never eat fastfood and this certainly didn't up my appetite for it. Not much of a movie really.

indytoad
01-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Titus. Avant-garde Shakespeare is really not something I needed to see. I will say that the Bard of Avon has got Chan-wook Park beat when it comes to ugly revenge stories.

Children of Men. Probably the most realistically realized near-future movie I've ever seen. Had a lot of nice little touches that made the world seem real, although some of the larger things could have been explained a bit better. As everyone else said, there are a number of scenes that'll stick with you for for a while.

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen. Great movie, liked it much better than Time Bandits. Now I just need to watch Brazil, although I can already see why many were especially disappointed in The Brothers Grimm.

IndyToad
And then the eagle left

LoneGranger33
01-19-2007, 05:54 PM
I watched Supersize Me. I never eat fastfood and this certainly didn't up my appetite for it. Not much of a movie really.

I actually thought it was pretty good. I mean, I vowed never to see this movie because I thought the guy (Morgan Spurlock) would think he was the "star" of the film, but for the most part he was pretty cool (I had seen episodes of 40 Days so I kind of warmed up to his approach and all that).

Last movie I saw? CLUE (it's a classic)

pwee31
01-19-2007, 10:40 PM
The Pursuit of Happiness

Pretty good, drags a lil, but I liked it.

bellisimo
01-20-2007, 10:16 PM
It was a horrible movie, it wasn't even close to funny at any time, Jessica Simpson wasn't utilized, and, if more people had gone to see it, Dane Cook's career might be down in a sewer somewhere. Cook needs to stick to stand-up and the movie should be incinerated. :)

I wouldn't say that it was THAT bad. :)
It was certainly not one of those movies that will become a classic...nor really had any good one liners....
but rather an OK dvd flick if you have no or low expectations to begin with :)

bellisimo
01-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Children of Men - I was rather disappointed with the movie...the concept was good...they could've taken it to a higher level...but it was a bit too dull/flat...yes there was some nice cinematography....but it didn't make up for the lack of the script...

Johnny English - a few laughs here and there...not a horrid movie...

DrBadd01
01-20-2007, 10:37 PM
Babel. . . . very good movie with great cinematography, and a good cast. That said it can also be depressing to watch. All in all though I though it was good.

01-20-2007, 10:42 PM
APOCALYPTO

AWESOME MOVIE!!!!

efx
01-21-2007, 02:37 PM
Pan's Labyrinth. People need to realize that the word Pan in this movie has nothing to do with the story of Peter Pan. Brush up on your mythology before you take kids to adult movies people. christ.

Movie was fantastic though, visually gorgeous and the young girl shows pretty much ever other actor of her age how to do it. Creature design was also out of this world heh.

That one and the Children of men set the standard very high for me this year.

btowncolt
01-21-2007, 02:55 PM
The Painted Veil

Solid flick. Annoying last 2 minutes, but that's forgivable. Naomi Watts was phenomenal. Ed Norton gave his usual tour de force performance playing a character he's comfortable doing. Definitely worth going to if you're a 1920's era buff.

dannyboy
01-21-2007, 07:48 PM
Transformers: The Movie (1986)
United 93
Ninja Scroll
Borat

AesopRockOn
01-22-2007, 02:41 PM
I wouldn't say that it was THAT bad. :)
It was certainly not one of those movies that will become a classic...nor really had any good one liners....
but rather an OK dvd flick if you have no or low expectations to begin with :)

No offense, man. I just didn't laugh at all and the comedy completely retreated from what has made Cook so famous and popular. Jessica wasn't naked. What can I say? To each his own.

01-23-2007, 02:22 AM
THE DEPARTED

Another great movie! Loved it, the ending was insane.

DrBadd01
01-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I also loved the Departed. If you get a chance watch Internal Affairs. It is the Hong Kong film the Departed is based off of and is also excellent.

Robobtowncolt
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I also loved the Departed. If you get a chance watch Internal Affairs. It is the Hong Kong film the Departed is based off of and is also excellent.

The Departed is roughly based on the life of Whitey Bulger.....a notorious Boston gangster.....there's a Hong Kong film about Whitey Bulger that the Departed copied?

Pig Nash
01-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I :love: Huckabees, I enjoyed it.

bellisimo
01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
The Departed is roughly based on the life of Whitey Bulger.....a notorious Boston gangster.....there's a Hong Kong film about Whitey Bulger that the Departed copied?

'The Departed' is based off of the Hong Kong movie 'WuJianDao' aka 'Internal Affairs'

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060927/departed_review_061003?s_name=&no_ads=

Robobtowncolt
01-23-2007, 04:08 PM
'The Departed' is based off of the Hong Kong movie 'WuJianDao' aka 'Internal Affairs'

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060927/departed_review_061003?s_name=&no_ads=

I mean, maybe theoretically. But the actual characters, plot, story and events are based loosely off Whitey Bulger. I think I would have some idea. I live in Boston, have read a few of books about him, and dealt with a deluge of articles about the movie when it came out in the local press (along with dealing with packed local theaters when I went to go see it due to the fascination with anything Whitey around here).

Maybe there's some sort of plot twist in Internal Affairs that they mimiced in The Departed.

Natston
01-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Little Miss Sunshine

Meh. It was okay but I don't see what was so great about it honestly.

Thank You For Smoking

I liked the satire, but loved how it kept in touch with the issues at hand.

Unclebuck
01-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I think it is a crime that "Little Miss Sunshine" was nominated for a best picture Oscar and "United 93" wasn't. The voters should be ashamed.

Mourning
01-25-2007, 11:11 AM
I think it is a crime that "Little Miss Sunshine" was nominated for a best picture Oscar and "United 93" wasn't. The voters should be ashamed.

"United 93" wasn't nominated??? :huh:

Natston
01-25-2007, 12:12 PM

Speaking of which...

United 93

I even teared up a little, probably from dust in the air or something. I loved the attention to detail (i.e. the terrorists shaving before the attacks). The most moving for me, aside from the cockpit take back and the calls to family was the scene where the passengers are praying while the hijackers are shouting to Allah.

----------

So yeah, I don't see how LMS even comes close to United 93.

avoidingtheclowns
01-25-2007, 10:25 PM
I mean, maybe theoretically. But the actual characters, plot, story and events are based loosely off Whitey Bulger. I think I would have some idea. I live in Boston, have read a few of books about him, and dealt with a deluge of articles about the movie when it came out in the local press (along with dealing with packed local theaters when I went to go see it due to the fascination with anything Whitey around here).

Maybe there's some sort of plot twist in Internal Affairs that they mimiced in The Departed.

it was a remake of a Hong Kong film/trilogy. When it was adapted for the Scorsese version, the screenwriter used the Whitey Bulger story as inspiration. but the actual concept was from the hong kong trilogy. when foreign films or tv shows are brought to america, plenty of things change. the general story is hong kong's the specifics for the departed came from the US screenwriter/Whitey.

here is an article from IGN.com with oscar nominated mark wahlberg discussing possible sequels.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/756/756953p1.html

Not Departed Yet?
Sequels said to be possible.

January 19, 2007 - Martin Scorsese's award-winning gangland film The Departed was a remake of the Hong Kong hit Infernal Affairs, which itself spawned a trilogy. Now comes word from none other than Departed co-star Mark Wahlberg that there could be sequels (or prequels) in the making for Scorsese's all-star flick.

"We may do another one because it's based on a Hong Kong film [Infernal Affairs], and there is a trilogy. So we may do a sequel with a new cast, and a prequel and bring back the rest of the guys," Wahlberg informed MTV.com.

so i'm trying to figure out how its a remake in theory...

moving on...

The Illusionist- I really enjoyed it. Big Norton and Giamatti fan.

The Proposition- Great Austrailian version of a western. Guy Pearce is great.

Prairie Home Companion- I was significantly disappointed. I expected a lot more, but ultimately it bored me.

Hard Candy- Weird thing... I can't say watching it was a pleasant experience but when it was over I felt like I enjoyed it. It is beautifully shot, I think. And quite cringeworthy. My final assessment is that I think its worth a look.

AesopRockOn
01-26-2007, 01:22 AM
American History X - Damn. Some crazy ****. Especially considering how recent it is. Watch it and feel a little left out.

Unclebuck
01-26-2007, 08:58 AM
"United 93" wasn't nominated??? :huh:

It wasn't nominated for best picture, but the director was nominated - so that is something at least

Mourning
01-26-2007, 11:59 AM
The Illusionist- I really enjoyed it. Big Norton and Giamatti fan.

Edward Norton has been my favorite actor for a few years now. Other actors I really like: Peter Sarsgaard, John Cusack, Adrien Brody, Sean Penn.

I have just borrowed "The Illusionist" from a colleague, watching it tonight!

The Proposition- Great Austrailian version of a western. Guy Pearce is great.

I thought it was pretty decent, yes. Pretty grim atmosphere which gives it a more realistic "feel".

Hard Candy- Weird thing... I can't say watching it was a pleasant experience but when it was over I felt like I enjoyed it. It is beautifully shot, I think. And quite cringeworthy. My final assessment is that I think its worth a look.

I REALLY liked this movie. It's definitely over the top, but I like the controversy it created and also how human the pedophile was portrayed, which I thought was good because you generally don't recognize a pedophile by looking at him, but by his behavior/actions. Also very original and my god ... the castration part ai, ai, ai :lol:.

Regards,

Mourning
01-26-2007, 12:03 PM
American History X - Damn. Some crazy ****. Especially considering how recent it is. Watch it and feel a little left out.

Easily one of my favorite movies of the last 10 years. Another great performance by Edward Norton, but a really good playing supporting cast and a director that knows how to tell a story like this without getting in the traditional politically correct BS that would make the movie seem to much like a preaching. Really like this movie.

It [United 93] wasn't nominated for best picture, but the director was nominated - so that is something at least

This movie was easily one of the best 3 movies I have seen this past year. It not getting the recognition it deserves is a shame. I totally aggree with you.

Regards,

RWB
01-26-2007, 01:31 PM
Das Experiment (The Experiment) a little German thriller that does a good job of keeping your interest all the way through the movie.

Based on a true experiment that took place at Stanford. Volunteers were put in a position to be either a guard or a prisoner, placed in a unifrom or prison clothes, and subjected to that role play.

Basically those who got to be guards with the power did in fact become somewhat sadistic within a week of the test. While those who played the prisoners turned on their counterparts.

As I posted in another thread this excellent movie can be found in (I thought probably the majority, but maybe not) your local Big Lot stores for $2.00 bucks. For something different this is worth seeking out.

avoidingtheclowns
01-26-2007, 02:38 PM

definitely one of my favorite movies. norton, as has been mentioned, is remarkable. avery brooks is fantastic too.

indytoad
01-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Das Experiment (The Experiment) a little German thriller that does a good job of keeping your interest all the way through the movie.

Based on a true experiment that took place at Stanford. Volunteers were put in a position to be either a guard or a prisoner, placed in a unifrom or prison clothes, and subjected to that role play.

Basically those who got to be guards with the power did in fact become somewhat sadistic within a week of the test. While those who played the prisoners turned on their counterparts.

As I posted in another thread this excellent movie can be found in (I thought probably the majority, but maybe not) your local Big Lot stores for $2.00 bucks. For something different this is worth seeking out.

Saw a documentary on that experiment in a sociology class. Very, very interesting.

The Illusionist. Quite good. Although magic tricks lose much of their impact when they're on a movie screen.

IndyToad
Important goals

AesopRockOn
01-27-2007, 02:29 AM
Edward Norton has been my favorite actor for a few years now. Other actors I really like: Peter Sarsgaard, John Cusack, Adrien Brody, Sean Penn.

He went to Iraq you know.

Mourning
01-27-2007, 08:33 AM
He went to Iraq you know.

:huh: I must be missing something here :dunno: :)

Regards,

bellisimo
01-27-2007, 12:45 PM
HAPPY FEET - had low expectations going into it...and happy to say they were met. It wasn't as good as the other CGI movies I've seen lately...but if you like musicals....then it might be worth a look

vapacersfan
01-27-2007, 09:05 PM
The Guardian

One of the best movies I have seen in my life. Needless to say I loved it.

Stryder
01-27-2007, 09:23 PM
The Guardian

One of the best movies I have seen in my life. Needless to say I loved it.

Seriously? Then you must have not watched many movies...joking...:D

Hicks
01-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Saw III - I liked some of it, but it is largely "torture porn" with the gore and just for how twisted the violence is. Some of it in this one is just silly though.

Borat - Pretty funny. I don't worship it like some seem to (speaking generally from what I hear/read across the 'net), but I laughed several times.

Lord Helmet
01-27-2007, 10:11 PM
Saw III - I liked some of it, but it is largely "torture porn" with the gore and just for how twisted the violence is. Some of it in this one is just silly though.

Borat - Pretty funny. I don't worship it like some seem to (speaking generally from what I hear/read across the 'net), but I laughed several times.
VERY NICE!

Hicks
01-27-2007, 10:35 PM
VERY NICE!

HIGH FIVE!

Lord Helmet
01-28-2007, 12:13 AM
HIGH FIVE!
I LIKA YOU PEOPLES!

SycamoreKen
01-28-2007, 12:35 AM
My wife and i just finished a SAW triple header. She loves the movies, so i got her all 3 for her birthday. The third one was very different from the first 2, but the end did tie tham all together. At least these movies had the theme of people having choices and having to pay for making the wrong ones. While the paying was a little over the top, at least there was some point to it.

Mourning
01-28-2007, 07:26 AM
My wife and i just finished a SAW triple header. She loves the movies, so i got her all 3 for her birthday. The third one was very different from the first 2, but the end did tie tham all together. At least these movies had the theme of people having choices and having to pay for making the wrong ones. While the paying was a little over the top, at least there was some point to it.

A little over the top? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

DisplacedKnick
01-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Last night any new releases I might have been interested in were out so I went in search of some older movies including It's All About Love

Joaquin Phoenix, Sean Penn and Claire Danes - can't be bad, right?

It wasn't bad - it was terrible. Supposedly it won some awards - I hope one was a Razzy. The most exciting scene was watching ice freeze in a glass.

And my GF's comment was, "I'm glad to see that in the future all women will be weakly helpless, universally exploited, mindless, and incapable of taking any action except to be saved by a man." Somehow watching that movie made her mad at me ... I have to figure out that sequential thought process sometime.

AesopRockOn
01-28-2007, 03:25 PM
:huh: I must be missing something here :dunno: :)

Regards,

It's from Team America. Didn't portray him in a good light.

Natston
01-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Space Cowboys

Okay I guess, it was fun until their launch...

DisplacedKnick
02-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Watched The Guardian last night.

About halfway through we looked at each other and said, "We've seen this before."

And Louis Gosset Jr was better than Kevin Costner, Richard Gere was better than Ashton Kutcher, Debra Winger was better than whoever the GF was, the scene where David Keith kills himself more emotionally riveting, the scene where Gere pulls Winger out of the factory more intense, the training scenes more effective, the conflict between student/teacher better developed ...

I suppose it wasn't a terrible movie but could they have stolen any more from An Officer and a Gentleman? The scene where Costner was spraying water at a guy in a pool while he pours a water jug over his head about made me hurl. Gotta be a copyright violation there somewhere.

Yeesh.

avoidingtheclowns
02-03-2007, 11:17 PM
LITTLE CHILDREN... I wasn't really sure what to think after it. It was sort of good but sort of lost my interest too. Interesting... just... interesting.

EDIT: Okay, I've had a little longer to consider it... I think ultimately it is the length and pacing of the movie that really hurt it in my eyes. I'm not entirely sure how some parts, specifically the football scenes, ultimately drove the plot forward. I mean I understand the concept's place... one of the more interesting things, apparently Patrick Wilson's contract stipulates that all his movies must, in some fashion, involve a-not-so-surgical procedure. for confirmation, see HARD CANDY. i did think it was well acted... definitely has an AMERICAN BEAUTY feel to it (I've never seen IN THE BEDROOM but I hear its similar to this and it was directed by the same guy as LC).

Natston
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Idiocracy

It had a neutered feeling to it after what the movie was rumored to be, but it still had a couple of good laughs. It scraped the surface on what it could have been but again the great parts could be lying next to Hoffa's dead body somewhere.

avoidingtheclowns
02-07-2007, 11:19 PM
Idiocracy

It had a neutered feeling to it after what the movie was rumored to be, but it still had a couple of good laughs. It scraped the surface on what it could have been but again the great parts could be lying next to Hoffa's dead body somewhere.

i just watched that too and had a similar feeling. a few good laughs, but ultimately disappointing given how fantastic office space was. i think there was so much more that could have been done with such a subject...

Live and Become
went to see this film today. it was a little uneven and i felt the pacing and execution was off. but ultimately it was effective enough and an engaging story.

31andonly
02-08-2007, 06:48 AM
The pursuit of happyness - My girl had tears in her eyes over about 80 % of the movie...but I also liked it! Will Smith is playing great and so is the story..sad but you know..happy end!

bellisimo
02-09-2007, 02:35 PM
The Marine - 2006 version of Rambo/Terminator? it was cheesy at times but still watchable.

Kegboy
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Sleepy Hollow

I'm not a big fan of Tim Burton, but I was pleasantly surprised. Fun movie.

AesopRockOn
02-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Hannibal Rising: even going in with low expectations wasn't enough; just a horrible effort all around. Surprising considering how heavily advertised it was. About a 4 or 5 out of 10. There are too many flaws to point out so just don't see it.

campy
02-12-2007, 11:31 PM
We are Marshall

Pig Nash
02-12-2007, 11:56 PM
I saw two movies this weekend:

Old School was a pretty basic comedy, I expected more. Not bad though.

Lost in Translation was very good, I didn't realize till after how immersed you became in Tokyo and I think that it did a very good job of making everything very spaced out/drunk like Bob Harris was. I enjoyed it.

lumber man
02-13-2007, 07:45 AM
i finally got to see "scanner darkly". pretty enjoyable.

RWB
02-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio live concert dvd. Close your eyes, crank the sound, and you'll be very happy. Try to watch this and you'll have nausea and a splitting headache from the constant camera changes. Motion sickness does not create the ultimate experience.

Bball
02-14-2007, 04:40 AM
"The Departed"

I've managed to not learn the ending in all this time, other than knowing it was probably not what I would be expecting.

Good movie. Long, but good.

-Bball

Hicks
02-14-2007, 02:22 PM
I liked the Departed a lot. I've read that most people laughed at the ending, but I didn't. Yay for me; one more movie to enjoy I guess.

Bball
02-15-2007, 02:32 AM
"The Night Listener" Robin Williams.

Hmmmm.... I'm not sure but I think Robin Williams' character was gay.

Ok... I know he was gay. They beat that into our heads until it was distracting. It was pointless to the storyline unless it was to make the viewer feel Robin's character would be more sympathetic to a young man with AIDS since it affects his life and those around him more (directly and often).

IMHO it became distracting to the story because otherwise it had nothing to do with the story.

This is a thriller... in a sense... or a suspense movie... in a sense... But there are no monsters going to jump thru the window. It's a mystery that unfolds as Robin's character begins to question some things he originally accepted on their face. This leads him deeper but he never seems to get any closer to the truth. It always seems to be one reasonable explanation away but never with the black and white confirmation he's looking for.

I thought it was OK. I didn't think it built to the crescendo it could've had. It was one of those movies that kept my attention but in the end I felt there was probably a better movie in there that just didn't make it either to the camera or past the cutting room.

I wouldn't plan an evening around it, but for something to watch when there's nothing to do, you could do worse.

-Bball

avoidingtheclowns
02-17-2007, 11:25 AM
THE NIGHT LISTENER is based on a true story and the guy that this happened to that wrote the book the movie was based on is gay. So it isn't so much of a plot device. I didn't feel the fact that he was gay was pounded into my head (and maybe because I knew aobut the guy going into the movie). That being said, I was really disappointed in it actually. As you said, it was supposed to be a thriller and supposed to be suspenseful ... but it never actually gets to including either. The actual story is quite shocking and compelling. Many celebrities like Armistead Maupin (who was portrayed as Gabriel Noone) were fooled by this woman. People that ranged from Fred Rogers to Keith Olbermann to Oprah spoke to this boy and befriended him. The movie wasn't terrible but it just never really got off the ground. to me, it felt more like a movie you'd find A&E making and airing. i think i put the blame on the director and editor for it being not nearly as compelling as it could have been and should have been. Here is an interview Keith Olbermann did with Maupin when the film was being released its certainly more interesting than the film was.

AUGUST 4, 2006 - COUNTDOWN WITH KEITH OLBERMANN (MSNBC)

OLBERMANN: Had a train not been late, I never would have had the time to read the newspaper article about “the” book, but there it was, a piece about an astounding memoir of a teenage boy dying of AIDS, the victim of horrific child abuse. His spirit and optimism still intact after a brief lifetime living in a world of nothing but shattered glass. I read the book, “Between a Rock and a Hard Place” but Tony Godby Johnson in one sitting and within weeks I was Tony‘s phone pal, baseball buddy, advocate, consoler, counselor, and adopted brother. It was heart-breaking. Until I noticed one day that when Tony‘s mother or doctor came on the phone with him, none of their voices ever overlapped. One spoke then the other, then the first again. Think about it. That‘s not the way real-life conversations work.

And then there was the Saturday night when as the background of the frail voice of the boy supposedly down to his last t-cell, I heard laughter and car noises echoing up from the street. “Oh, I have the window open,” said a person so sick he had been permitted no visitors in a year. That‘s when I hired the private detective.

Our third story on the COUNTDOWN, I was not the only one whose heart lead him into the Tony Godby Johnson scam, Mr. Rogers, Oprah Winfrey, the author, Armistead Maupin all of us figured it out eventually but only Mr. Maupin figured out what to do with the fact that there was no Tony Godby Johnson, just a woman named Vicki Fraginals playing the roles of Tony and Tony‘s mom and the live-in doctor. Maupin made it into novel, “The Night Listener” and now it‘s a movie that opens today. He‘ll join me in a minute, first a clip.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hi it‘s Pete Logan.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I was impressed by your book.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: So it‘s really you?
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Why wouldn‘t be it be.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: I‘m sorry to cut this short. He‘s a very sick boy. He doesn‘t have very long.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It must be very hard for you.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I‘m worried about Pete.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Do you think it‘s possible that they‘re being a little melodramatic here? It seems so over the top.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Why would someone do that?
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I don‘t know. Money, maybe? To sell a book? There‘s ways to prove this.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

OLBERMANN: Joining me now, as promised. Armistead Maupin. Thanks for your time tonight, sir.

ARMISTEAD MAUPIN, “THE NIGHT LISTENER”: Thank Keith, nice to meet you, even this way.

OLBERMANN: Yeah. Is there anyway to tell anybody who didn‘t read the “Rock and a Hard Place Book” or didn‘t talked to what you and I believed was Tony Johnson, just how compelling his story was?

MAUPIN: Well, I think I was especially vulnerable because this kid was supposedly dying of AIDS, and was going to be dead in six months, and my partner at the time was and is HIV positive and my best friend was on the verge of dying, so I was especially compelled by the notion of this teenager who was a straight identified—a straight kid, who was very gay friendly, I‘m a gay man and it was amazing to see that he had no homophobia and there was something really charming about him on the telephone. He was a real spirit, as you know, someone you could talk to for hours and he was never depressing and always self-effacing and funny. And the story, I think, had a way of growing because of our own imaginations. If you recall, his book itself is not very graphic, but we would hear these stories from other people and I think your own imagination makes it seem—you know, builds in it that way.

OLBERMANN: I mentioned how it came to me that there was something wrong here. When did you realize this was not what it seemed to be?

MAUPIN: You know, my partner came in about six months into the conversation and talked to Vicki for the first time, he had been talking to Tony. And he spent about five minutes with her on the phone and then turned to me and said, “Don‘t you think there‘s a strange similarity in their voices” and as a matter of fact I had noticed that because on one occasion I said, “Oh hi, Tony” and she‘d said, “No, no, no, it‘s Vicki. Don‘t say that to Tony he hates being mistaken for his mom.” Well, that worked on me because I remember what it was like to be 14 and I didn‘t much like that either.

Yeah, then as soon as he said it could see it clearly, but had no way of proving it. And fortunately the storyteller in me took over and I was just fascinated by the sort of real-life mystery that I‘d found myself in the middle of.

OLBERMANN: Yeah, and me too. And just to clear it up, the mother-son relationship was supposed to be adoptive, so there was no inherited sound-alike quality there. But did you—when you figured this out, or began to figure it out, did you try to tell others about this. I mean, there was an “Associated Press” reporter who swore she had met Tony and I remember calling some of her associates at the “AP” and tell her—them, listen, I actually hired a private detective to check this out, there‘s no little boy living there, it‘s a woman. She has a history of insurance fraud and she‘s got two fat daughters and the “Associated Press” people said “No, no our reporter is never wrong.” Did you reach out to other people who were involved in this?

MAUPIN: Yeah, well, I spoke to the editor at Crown Books, to David Groth (ph) and said please don‘t let this go any further, because I don‘t want to be doubting a child who‘s reporting child abuse, but do you know anybody who‘s actually met Anthony Godby Johnson, and he got up and closed the door and sat back down and said “You‘re going through the same thing I went through six months ago. But I can assure you he exists and he‘s a little bit like god, you just have to believe in him.” That reporter, by the way, for the “Associated Press,” wrote me after “The Night Listener” came out, she read a review of it and I think she assumed the whole thing had been put to bed and she sort of said, “You took the courageous way. I didn‘t quit know what to do and I ended up leaving my job. I quit journalism because of it.” And I don‘t know what happened with her or exactly how she—how she was persuaded to believe this, but she was.

OLBERMANN: I think, in fact I think I do. The story I heard was that more than likely one of the daughters of this woman, Vicki Fraginals, was dressed up, swaddled, basically, in clothing and sort of just presented as Tony, that you could see just from the doorway. So she may have actually thought that she‘s met a little boy and it was just a large little girl who didn‘t speak. Which explains.

MAUPIN: Yeah, I think she had suspicions, as did we all. And of course there was that photograph that we all got sent very early on so you had a visual to go with that audio on the phone.

OLBERMANN: In the cathartic process of turning this into a novel, why did become something as dark as the novel was and even darker as the movie appears to be? There‘s a real kind of threaten quality to this.

MAUPIN: Yeah, I think I just took it and ran with it. I mean, I‘ve never said it‘s anything other than a novel. It is fiction. What Gabriel Noon does in the novel and in the film didn‘t happen in real life. But the idea, the whole thing, I was completely creeped out by it. I don‘t know about you, but once I figured out what was going on, my mind went everywhere. I couldn‘t imagine, first of all, why somebody would do this, until I started thinking about it as a pathology and that made more sense because it was quit clear that it was a 24-hour operation. She had to inhabit that child at all times given the number of people that were talking to him and had close relationships with him on a regular basis.

OLBERMANN: My thought by the way, was, hey, at least there‘s one less kid dying of AIDS. We can take that away from it.

MAUPIN: Yeah.

OLBERMANN: I just (INAUDIBLE) at that point. The one positive there.

MAUPIN: Yeah.

OLBERMANN: Now, Tony never asked for money and Vicki, the mother, never asked for money, but they used to talk and this doctor character used to talk about black market drugs to fight his AIDS or his bronchial problems, or his t-cell count or any of the other side things and I volunteered to pay the cost of some of these, a couple thousand bucks whatever it was. Did you get sucked into that too or did anybody else, do you know?

MAUPIN: I never did. I waited for that to happen, but I never did. But I know, I‘ve heard of other people who did and it was a lot more than a few thousand bucks who gave her money to take care of the kid, supposedly, in the facility somewhere. But it didn‘t happen with me. I think she had a brilliant way of adjusting to whoever she was talking to, knowing exactly how to push, you know, one thing or the other.

She actually, by the way, she named the character in the book. I told Tony, you know, Tony-Vicki that I was going to writing this book because I was hung up on writing it. I‘d already accepted an advance from both my British and American publishers. And I was afraid that once the book came out, then—and there really was a kid on the other end, that I would really be in a real bad situation, so I told him what I was doing and he said, well I‘m a big boy, I know what a fiction is. There‘s a lie and the truth contained in that phrase, and so she named him. She said, “I‘d like to name him Pete.”

OLBERMANN: Well, lastly, I‘ve always been reluctant to talk about this. I just thought OK, I found out the truth, I don‘t need to disabuse others of what they believe, but I finally decided, when I have to be a fool I‘d rather be our kind of fool than Vicki‘s kind of fool.

MAUPIN: Absolutely, I have no regrets whatsoever. I was acting out of human kindness and I don‘t think nobody has a reason to be ashamed for doing that.

OLBERMANN: Armistead Maupin the author of “The Night Listener,” now, as they say, a major motion picture. A pleasure to talk to you, sir.

MAUPIN: Great to talk to you, Keith.

OLBERMANN: Great thanks for joining us tonight.

MAUPIN: Thank you very much.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14227900/

Dab
02-17-2007, 11:47 AM
- Pan's Labyrinth

Don't take the kids.

avoidingtheclowns
02-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Running With Scissors ... this movie desperately wanted to be like the Royal Tenenbaums mixed with American Beauty (which is odd given the benning/paltrow connection) but ultimately it was a disaster. i will say i thought it was fairly well acted, especially Benning and Alec Baldwin. but it was supposed to be a tragicomedy that only really gets around to the tragedy and substitutes bizarre behavior for comedy. ultimately i couldn't figure out why paltrow was in the film (i felt her talent was really wasted) but also the character itself seemed fairly unnecessary the way the film exists. there is probably more in the book about her character hope, but essentially she exists only to get these weird uncomfortable laughs with her cat. (D+)

Hollywoodland ... this film came out around the time of Black Dahlia and despite all that BD has going for it (Aaron Eckhart, James Ellroy, Brian De Palma, etc) Black Dahlia was terrible. i mention this because im not sure whether the failure of that film plays into my perspective of this one... but Hollywoodland is quite enjoyable. not a perfect film by any means, but it is more successful. ben affleck is quite good (its been a long time since i could muster that type of phrase). i think my one real problem with the film was i felt the Adrian Brody / Louis Simo was underdeveloped, more focus is on Affleck's story (which is good but you just don't care about the Simo side of things really). (B-)

Art School Confidential ... ghost world was a good quirky and enjoyable movie but the team of director Terry Zwigoff and writer Daniel Clowes slipped up big time with their second film. this is a mess. it starts off minimally amusing and goes just to strange and puzzling. first of all, i think it is really hard to parody something like art school that is essentially already parodying itself as an institution. also they lose focus about what is going on once the strangler storyline truly comes into the picture. i am also baffled by how they could waste malkovich, huston and jim broadbent in the same film. the nick swardson character was absolutely unnecessary as well. bad bad bad bad bad(D-)

Brick ... i loved this movie. joseph gordon-levitt and lukas haas star in this high school noir mystery. the dialogue is straight out of the 40s noir films or like maltese falcon set in high school. it does take a while to get into the rhythm of the film... it definitely has a bit of a david lynch feel to the film as well. i really enjoyed joseph gordon-levitt's performance and really appreciated the film. it wasn't perfect, but for a first time writer/director who made this film for around $500K (meaning this is definitely 'indie') i would definitely recommend it and it is a MUST SEE for noir enthusiasts. (A-)

lumber man
02-17-2007, 02:01 PM
- Pan's Labyrinth

Don't take the kids.
it looks like something i might enjoy, is it pretty violent or is it just plain scarry?

indypacerfan54
02-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Pans has a lot of realistic war violence, gore and distubing images, but it is the best movie of the year imo.

Hicks
02-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Letters from Iwo Jima

Good, but not as moving as I thought it would be for me. Actually, it just left me more disgusted with our race (humans).

AesopRockOn
02-28-2007, 08:47 PM
:bump:

Do The Right Thing - D! Mutha****a! D!

Bball
02-28-2007, 11:35 PM
"The Illusionist"
I liked it. I liked the pacing for a movie of this type (a continual slow build, not a roller coaster or long lull/filler middle). It's hard to say too much without giving anything away tho.

It's a turn of the century setting (and I mean 19th-20th century) so don't be expecting modern day.

The name is both fitting and misleading (IMO)... but yes the main character is a performing illusionist.

----------------------
"The World's Fastest Indian"

Not bad... certainly not great. Anthony Hopkins is almost always good tho.

The movie was formulaic, altho apparently based on a true story (probably with lots of liberties and poetic license). Everything was shooting for a 'feel good' movie and that is what they got. But it was far from great.

Everything seemed to happen a little quickly. Not a lot of depth to any one scene.

It's playing on HDnet Movies so I caught it there. For a "turn on the TV and find something to watch" movie you could certainly do worse. I wouldn't plan an evening around it tho.

-Bball

grace
03-01-2007, 12:48 PM
"Music and Lyrics"

I doubt any of you would like it, but if you need points with the chick in your life its a good chick flick.

Shade
03-01-2007, 01:23 PM
The Number 23.

It was alright, not quite what I was expecting though.

Unclebuck
03-02-2007, 02:34 PM
"Zodiac" - very, very, very good and I highly, highly recommend it. Great acting and even though the movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes long it held my attention throughout. It is a true story - so if you are someone who likes "perfect endings" where the bad guy is killed in some supposedly crowd pleasing kind of way - you won't see that in this movie. It reminded me of "All the Presidents men". The Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman movie about Watergate. It had the same type of tone and pacing as that.

Bball, I really liked "The World's Fastest Indian" - it wasn't great, but I got caught up in the story and it was heartwarming

Pig Nash
03-02-2007, 03:04 PM
I watched Thank You for Smoking again, one of my favorites.

Pacersin6
03-02-2007, 04:09 PM
The Quiet

Absolutely unwatchable. I watched is strictly for Elisha Cuthbert who did look very hot though

Irreversible

Very hard to watch. It was pretty graphic and the cinematography made me dizzy but still above average

Natston
03-02-2007, 04:09 PM
The Longest Yard and The Longest Yard

I thought the original was utter garbage, and it had a slapped together feel. Plus I don't think that I found anything funny even though it's supposed to be a comedy. The game itself was boring and had no semblance to an actual game. Some reason the director thought we wanted to see cheerleaders in drag over and over...

The remake had a better feel to it and was better than I expected. It was an okay movie because I accepted for what it was. I even laughed a couple of times, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It would have been much better if they had made the movie more realistic. They really needed to change it up some so there wouldn't be so many identical scenes from the original.

efx
03-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Iron Maiden - Rock in Rio live concert dvd. Close your eyes, crank the sound, and you'll be very happy. Try to watch this and you'll have nausea and a splitting headache from the constant camera changes. Motion sickness does not create the ultimate experience.

Which is why Steve Harris should not be allowed to direct. Stick to playing the bass dude. I can't believe the other guys let him get away with this.

Bball
03-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Bball, I really liked "The World's Fastest Indian" - it wasn't great, but I got caught up in the story and it was heartwarming

And re-reading my review I didn't do a very good job of conveying my feelings. I agree with your review. "It wasn't great, but I got caught up in the story and it was heartwarming" are pretty much my feelings as well.

BTW... Have you watched "Madison"? (Not "Billy Madison" but the movie 'Madison' that was filmed in Madison, IN and centered around the 1972 Regatta). It's along the same lines as "The World's Fastest Indian" as far as heartwarming and some of the underlying things except I thought the movie "Madison" itself was actually even better made.

You don't have to care a thing about boat racing to enjoy the movie. It does have some familiar faces in it. Jim Caviezel is the star. As I understand it, the movie budget was running out and he donated his salary to help see that it was finished.

It goes in the "Hoosiers", "Rudy", and "Breaking Away" mold of movies. No idea why it didn't reach heights closer to those movies. Maybe there's some 'been there, done that' factor at play but I personally enjoyed it. Maybe that is because the movie never made a splash nationally and so when I watched it it was more from curiosity rather than expecting a good movie. But it didn't take long before I was hooked and enjoying the movie on it's own merits.

-Bball

Bball
03-02-2007, 04:37 PM
The Longest Yard and The Longest Yard

I thought the original was utter garbage, and it had a slapped together feel. Plus I don't think that I found anything funny even though it's supposed to be a comedy. The game itself was boring and had no semblance to an actual game. Some reason the director thought we wanted to see cheerleaders in drag over and over...

The remake had a better feel to it and was better than I expected. It was an okay movie because I accepted for what it was. I even laughed a couple of times, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. It would have been much better if they had made the movie more realistic. They really needed to change it up some so there wouldn't be so many identical scenes from the original.

I'm fine with the original but I thought the remake was crap. If you can't do better than that, why even bother remaking the original?

I never really considered the original "a comedy". I suppose if I went into it thinking it was going to be a comedy and expecting laughs then I probably wouldn't have liked it. Is it classified as a comedy? I never knew that if that is true.

-Bball

Unclebuck
03-02-2007, 04:38 PM
I know some people who saw "Madison" they said it was good, but I forgot all about it. I'll have to watch it

AesopRockOn
03-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I watched Thank You for Smoking again, one of my favorites.

Yeah, it's up there in terms of satires with South Park, Team America, Wag the Dog, etc. I'm missing a couple but a good satire is always a great movie.

Naptown_Seth
03-02-2007, 05:33 PM
Illusionist I liked, good art direction and cinematography, but I preferred the story behind The Prestige more, especially their tit for tat grudge aspect (not a spoiler, it starts early and is openly expressed throughout.

Odd thing with Prestige, the "twist" seemed obvious to me, but another aspect openly expressed in the film I expected to not be true and was a "twist" to me (more Sci-Fi than I thought it would be).

The Decent is what I last watched. Brilliantly shot horror flick, I mean great cinematography (all the creative lighting used for perfect dramatic and thematic effect at the same time), tight script, hard-core gore yet it doesn't lean on it or shocks to keep you involved.

I'd heard good things and it met my expectations.

The Longest Yard I was just watching the other day (original). That is such a subtle character piece, and yet very funny. I love that sequence of flashes when Burt scores, showing the different faces of people reacting. Pretty artistic for a popcorn comedy. The remake? Totally misunderstood the original, tossed aside all those character angles and went for dumb laughs.

You want a solid LYard remake, go rent Mean Machine with Statham as a soccer player sent to prison instead. Much closer to the intent of the original.

Flags/Iwo Jima - both were decent but underwhelming. Jima was a tighter script, stayed on track with just a couple of key characters and themes. Flags wanders all over the place to the point that you wonder who you are supposed to be following along with and what the point is exactly.

Good, but not as moving as I thought it would be for me. Actually, it just left me more disgusted with our race (humans).
You'd be more disgusted if you saw the true Iwo Jima stories depicted. Where in Jima you see the American beaten up, Flags suggests the reality more (unviewable awfulness done to him, not just beaten or stabbed to death). Severe mutilation was a common practice by Jap. soliders at that time (they were drilled to be inhuman to US solider and to not see US soldiers as human beings at all).

Clint backed WAY off of that reality for whatever reasons. Ignoring even that though, it bugged me that their social interactions and needs came across as too American. Compare how similar they are, their social structure, etc in that film vs what Murray experiences in Lost in Translation. It's not just a language barrier, it's a totally different culture. Jima doesn't express that very well.

Irreversible is one of the most difficult films I've ever viewed. Solid film, definitely emotionally engaging, but 2 scenes in the film depict violence on a very uncomfortable level. Worth seeing for certain, but just be prepared and have something light ready to follow it up with.

Pan's Lab. has some unpleasant to watch moments too, but not on par with Irrev.

Good to hear a positive for Zodiac, I love Fincher and this is a compelling true story to say the least.

We're going to see Reno tonight. Love the show, should be light fun.

Mourning
03-03-2007, 11:03 AM
"Zodiac" - very, very, very good and I highly, highly recommend it. Great acting and even though the movie is 2 hours and 30 minutes long it held my attention throughout. It is a true story - so if you are someone who likes "perfect endings" where the bad guy is killed in some supposedly crowd pleasing kind of way - you won't see that in this movie. It reminded me of "All the Presidents men". The Robert Redford, Dustin Hoffman movie about Watergate. It had the same type of tone and pacing as that.

Yeah, I got the New York Times Movie Review again yesterday and it was about this movie. It's been a longtime ago since I read such a positive review from them. Definitely going to see it when it starts around cinema's here.

I'm going to watch "The Good Shepherd" OR "Letters from Iwo Jima" tonight... haven't made up my mind yet.

Another movie I think I will be interested in seeying is "Breach" anyone happen to see it yet?

Regards,

Unclebuck
03-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Another movie I think I will be interested in seeying is "Breach" anyone happen to see it yet?

Regards,

I was going to go see that yesterday, but when I read about "Zodiac" I thought it looked better. But if I get a chance I'll see "Breach" maybe this week

MagicRat
03-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Don't Look Back '65 Tour Deluxe Edition

Unclebuck
03-03-2007, 05:41 PM
I almost forgot, I watched "Half Nelson" last week. Ryan Gosling performance is amazing and certainly Oscar worthy. The movie overall was pretty good - not much of a plot at all though, basically just a character study

ABADays
03-03-2007, 06:15 PM
Just saw "We Are Marshall". Pretty good movie.

DisplacedKnick
03-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Watched The Prestige last night. It was just OK.

My big problem about it was I never had any reason to identify with or care about either of the two main characters. There was a fair amount of suspense and intrigue - as well as some interesting looks at obsession - but it didn't matter much to me. If they'd spent 10-15 minutes at the beginning developing empathy (particularly Bale's character) rather than starting right off with the seeds of conflict I'd have cared a lot more.

To take another movie about magicians to contrast that with, The Illusionist did a much better job with this though the overall story line was no better. But I gave a crap what happened to people there.

George Foreman
03-04-2007, 01:50 PM
Lucky Number Slevin.

Great movie!

Just saw that yesterday(twice) and I loved it too. BTW, this movie looks great on HD-DVD.

N8R
03-04-2007, 06:06 PM
The Number 23

Not very good. Not recommended what so ever. The Real Number 23 Michael Jordan is what I would suggest.

carpediem024
03-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I recently watched The Departed.
One of the best movies I've seen.

George Foreman
03-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I recently watched The Departed.
One of the best movies I've seen.

Thought the Departed was a good movie too, however IMO it was far from the best.

avoidingtheclowns
03-05-2007, 12:02 AM
THE PRESTIGE ... there are two things i find hard to resist. 1) Christopher Nolan 2) Christian Bale. i really enjoyed this movie. it wasn't perfect, but if you enjoy either of the two things i mentioned above, then you'll probably enjoy this film. its really odd to think of nolan as having only made a couple of films. A-

SMOKIN' ACES ... where to start? is there an actual plot or is it more of a rough concept/idea? who is more disgusting: jason bateman or jeremy piven? the year of the affleck: the academy missed nominating him for his work as George Reeves in Hollywoodland but can anybody tell me im wrong when i propose some of ben afflecks best acting ever comes in the scene when he's laying down in the parking lot next to his car? a lot of questions... the movie was okay, it was like tarantino on steriods (or maybe a better analogy is like barry bonds post-1997). C+

BLOOD DIAMOND ... dicaprio was reliably good, but i really enjoyed djimon honsou's performance. glad he received recognition. the story had good and bad moments, some times feels kind of like a lecture. but the last 10 minutes of the film i wasn't too fond of. C+

Bball
03-05-2007, 01:48 AM
"Flags of Our Fathers"

I thought it was good but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I can't really put my finger on where I thought it lost some impact...but I'll try...

I guess I just didn't think it was pulled together all that tightly as it jumped from modern day to the bond tour back to the island. I liked the concept but I think the scenes during the bond tour needed to be tighter and more compact (for lack of a better word). It's not that we saw too much of the bond tour scenes overall it's that each bite was too big I think. Those should've moved the movie forward and I think that is where something didn't quite reach what it was trying to do.

But what do I know...
-Bball

sweabs
03-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Stranger Than Fiction

Chick flick.

AesopRockOn
03-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Stranger Than Fiction

Chick flick.

I thought it was better and deeper than that. :(

DrBadd01
03-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Letters of Iwo Jima- I liked the film a lot. I thought the perspective was good, and directing was excellent. The cinematography and storyline was what i liked the most though. That said I am glad the Departed won best film. After seeing all five up for the oscar, The Departed was the best IMO.

Moses
03-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Just saw the number 23 and thought it was an incredible movie. I'd recommend it to anyone who is into thriller types of movies. I'll probably be seeing Zodiac soon as I see 300.

avoidingtheclowns
03-05-2007, 07:07 PM
I thought it was better and deeper than that. :(

i would agree. stranger than fiction wasn't just a chick flick. it was dumbed down charlie kaufman (or maybe more generic kaufman). not that such is a bad thing. but it isn't a bad movie at all. its also a sibling film to The Truman Show. its solidly acted and directed, not oscar worthy but i felt it was still enjoyable.

MagicRat
03-06-2007, 09:29 AM
High School Musical......:woot2:

Pig Nash
03-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Shaun of the Dead

Bball
03-06-2007, 01:12 PM
I finally watched "Saw" (the first one).

I thought it was pretty good for a slasher pic. I guessed PART of the ending but not all of it. Certainly not the main part/twist.

Game over....
-Bball

Robobtowncolt
03-06-2007, 01:14 PM
I finally watched "Saw" (the first one).

I thought it was pretty good for a slasher pic. I guessed PART of the ending but not all of it. Certainly not the main part/twist.

Game over....
-Bball

Saw that recently, too. Was actually surprised that it was pretty entertaining. I also missed the major surprise.

Moses
03-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Saw Zodiac last night and it was a pretty good movie. One thing I didn't like about it is that the story was too long and drawn out towards the end. Anyone who has seen the movie will know what I mean. I can't wait to see 300...I think it's going to be incredible.

Mourning
03-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Shaun of the Dead

:champagne LOVE that movie!!! :D:D:D

I saw "The Good Shepherd" last saturday. Thought it was ok, but not nearly as good as I expected it to be. I like movies in which you have to keep paying attention, so it wasn't bad.

"Letters from Iwo Jima" is on the program probably thursday or friday.

Regards,

Robobtowncolt
03-06-2007, 01:15 PM
My Battle With Tourettes: The Michael Richards Story

Pretty lame and disturbing. Shouldn't have watched that with Earl's grandkids.

Shade
03-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Is anyone else going to see TMNT?

I was a TMNT kid, and this actually looks pretty decent.

Hicks
03-06-2007, 02:30 PM
I was a TMNT kid as well (God help me but I plan to eventually buy the movies on DVD), so I'm interested in it. I'm not hot on the alien stuff though. I grew up with the cartoon and the movies.

Shade
03-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I was a TMNT kid as well (God help me but I plan to eventually buy the movies on DVD), so I'm interested in it. I'm not hot on the alien stuff though. I grew up with the cartoon and the movies.

Don't bother with the third film, it was an utter piece of boring crap.

This is all you need to know about TMNT 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02d9e4vvT0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te7NwAacJ8w

The first two are still good, though. I watched them again the other day.

Hicks
03-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Oh I've seen 3 already. Saw it in theaters no less. It's the worst, easily. Still, I'm expecting them all to be pretty corny when I re-watch them. I haven't seen any of them in probably 10 years.

Hicks
03-06-2007, 03:07 PM
OK, I just finished watching your youtube links.

Now that I have all 3 movies refreshed in my memory, Part 1 looks like I could still sit down and enjoy it because it's the darkest and most serious of the three. Part 2 would be embarassing but watchable. I don't think I'll bother with 3. I want to, badly, because it's a childhood memory and I'm a completest at heart. But I will try to resist.

Shade
03-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Oh I've seen 3 already. Saw it in theaters no less. It's the worst, easily. Still, I'm expecting them all to be pretty corny when I re-watch them. I haven't seen any of them in probably 10 years.

I hadn't either, but #3 is even worse than I had remembered. And that's saying a lot.

Natston
03-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Borat

I was very disappointed to say the least, and no it wasn't because of the questionable content because I already knew about it going in. I was disappointed in the the cultural jokes (or lack there of) that were supposed to be the saving part of the movie. Honestly towards the end it seemed like it was going to be one nasty gag or Jackass ripoff after the other, and I really wanted it to be over at that point. I'm not saying that some parts of the movie wasn't funny, but some scenes were downright boring if not overkill in the 'shock and awe' department. The brilliant scenes were too far in between.

With all that being said, I didn't dislike the movie on my moral convictions. Frankly even if I had seen this movie when I was an atheist, I still would not of have found the self-love scene nor the ensuing naked fight, nor blantant sexism or antisemitism in the name of humor to be funny at all.

avoidingtheclowns
03-07-2007, 07:23 PM
nor blantant sexism or antisemitism in the name of humor to be funny at all.

you're absolutely right. totally. you should send a letter to those israelis and set them straight, because apparently they don't recognize blatant antisemitism when they see it.

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-sachabaroncohenisraelaward,0,5286043.story
(http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-sachabaroncohenisraelaward,0,5286043.story)
by your logic, they'll be presenting mel gibson and rudolph hess with lifetime achievement awards any day now.

[/sarcasm]

btw when you hear borat speaking kazakh in the film, you're actually hearing hebrew (or more specifically Ivrit, modern hebrew). cohen is actually quite a devout jewish man.

http://www.jewishjournal.com/home/preview.php?id=17264

just saying if jewish people don't find borat antisemitic, maybe you shouldn't either

Shade
03-07-2007, 07:24 PM
When did this place merge with the politics forum? :disturbed

03-08-2007, 06:31 PM
PANS LABYRINTH

LOVED IT!

Hicks
03-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Zodiac.

Pretty good; I was disturbed enough early on to close my eyes briefly at one point.

Moses
03-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Zodiac.

Pretty good; I was disturbed enough early on to close my eyes briefly at one point.
Talking about the part where he knifes the people up? That was the only really bad part of the movie.

I'm going to see 300 tonight at the midnight showing. I think it's going to be awesome..I'll let you all know how it is.

Hicks
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Yep that's the scene.

Unclebuck
03-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Zodiac.

And you know what. You probably have seen many other movies that had a lot more violence and gore. I know I've seen probably a 100 of movies with more of that stuff. But in "Zodiac" it has real impact (sure it was well shot from a technical standpoint) but it had real impact because there wasn't much of it. Less is more. But those 3 or 4 scenes were really scary because they were relatable and realistic. Those 3 or 4 scenes probably took up maybe 3 or 4 minutes of the entire movie which lasted 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Hicks
03-08-2007, 10:47 PM
They felt "too" real. Especially the stabbings. Quiet except for the screaming. No "too loud" or "too unnatural sounding" noise from the stabbing; just the victim's reaction. That combined with the methodical nature of the attack made it very disturbing.