PDA

View Full Version : Paul George Tonight

Dr. Awesome
12-05-2012, 03:34 AM
This thread will probably not come off the way I intend it to, with a lot of people, but I will post it anyway.

Tonight pissed me off.

The Pacers won, which is more important than anything for me, but overall I'm pissed. Maybe frustrated is a better word actually. This is the type of player we all knew Paul George could be....problem is, he could be this every game. Yet, we've only seen this Paul George 2-3 times all season. It pisses me off that he lets it come and go the way he does. He needs to be this assertive EVERY SINGLE GAME. If he isn't, its all a waste...I would rather loose 9 out of the next 10 games if Paul George stepped up and took over that role as go to player...it would suck, but in the long run, it would be great for this franchise. To have Paul George TEMPT us with games like this, or games like the other night, only to come out a few nights later and score 0 is maddening.

A lot of people are happy with George tonight. I'm not. He should be doing this...or at the very least TRYING to do this every night...but he doesn't. His one good game doesn't make up for a season of being passive. A lot of comments were made in thread like "BET YOU DONT WANT TO TRADE HIM NOW!!111!1!one!!!1!!!"

I never WANTED to trade Paul George, but if he plans on being a role player in his career, whats the point of keeping him? The Paul George we saw tonight is what we all expected of him all season long? Maybe not to the extent of 30+ points, but at least a go to scorer who appears to want to win. I find it frustrating that I can name 2 games all season long where I felt like Paul George wanted it.

Do I want to trade him? No, this guy is our chance. But do I wanna give him props for trying? No. The reality is, he is capable of games like this, the fact that we've only seen it 2-3 times is irritating. Am I happy that we saw this, absolutely. Don't take this thread the wrong way - I loved what we saw from Paul George tonight, I simply don't want to make him the Pacers "savior" again when he hasn't proven he can keep that up.

This thread seems negative and for that I apologize. I love this Pacers team and tonights win was great. I love Paul George...one of my favorite Pacers ever, maybe thats why I am so hard on him. But this game doesn't prove anything to me. Because until he can do it on a regular basis, its nothing more than a good game. Fred Jones had a 40+ game one night, doesn't make him an All-Star. We need this from Paul George EVERY NIGHT, and why I've lost so much faith in him, is because he knows it, yet constantly we see him not show up for games.

Hopefully this is the game that changes everything, I'm just a little more hesitant than ya'll seem to be with jumping back on the "he will lead this franchise" bandwagon.

Sorry for being Debby Downer...I don't like to be. But I just needed to say it.

rock747
12-05-2012, 04:01 AM
I agree, this is the mentality he has to have every night. It just seems as if Paul George has been playing to fit into the system and tonight he played a little more selfish. I think we need Paul George to play a little more selfish. I think that he is capable of playing like this every night, because you could see a distinct difference in the way he was carrying himself tonight.

King Tuts Tomb
12-05-2012, 05:46 AM
Paul George is not a consistent volume scorer and he doesn't have the ball handling skills or ability to finish around the rim to be a 25 ppg guy. Those 25 a night guys have a driving game that allows them to get to the line when their shot isn't falling. Paul George doesn't have that and never will, I don't think it has anything to do with him being scared or lazy.

However, George is building a complete game, from defense to passing to rebounding, that means he will have an effect on the game even when his shot isn't falling. If you're waiting for him to be TMac then you'll never be happy. If you want him to be an important do-everything-guy on a deep playoff team then I think he's on the right path.

15th parallel
12-05-2012, 06:16 AM
I believe he really is trying. There are times where he attempts many shots. The problem really is the consistency of making it. Like what I said on other threads, we just need to be patient as consistency is not there yet. He's doing great on other areas, and right now he's "Andre Iguodala lite" if you look how he fills up the other areas of the stat sheet.

QuickRelease
12-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Maybe a bit less green light from the perimeter would usher in a more attacking style from Paul. :whoknows:

Phree Refill
12-05-2012, 08:31 AM
Maybe a bit less green light from the perimeter would usher in a more attacking style from Paul. :whoknows:

He needs to get to the line more. He took 25 shots tonight and, while he knocked them down at a very good clip, only scored 34. He was only 4 FGA away from Reggie's career high FG attempted. Yet Reggie scored 57 that game because he got to the line 23 times. PG only had 5 free throw attempts. PG possess WAAAAY more athleticism than Reggie so you would expect him to have an easier time drawing fouls. Maybe he needs to look at some of Reggie's tricks and incorporate them into his game.

Outside of his low free throw attempts, this was probably the best game of his proffessional career.

Johanvil
12-05-2012, 08:57 AM
If you're waiting for him to be TMac then you'll never be happy.

I guess some of us may have OTT expectations and we are probably wrong.BUT he has showed at times he can be a great scorer.Why does he not do it more often?Are we led to believe that these super performances are just fireworks/one night thing and nothing else?

Eleazar
12-05-2012, 09:09 AM
He needs to get to the line more. He took 25 shots tonight and, while he knocked them down at a very good clip, only scored 34. He was only 4 FGA away from Reggie's career high FG attempted. Yet Reggie scored 57 that game because he got to the line 23 times. PG only had 5 free throw attempts. PG possess WAAAAY more athleticism than Reggie so you would expect him to have an easier time drawing fouls. Maybe he needs to look at some of Reggie's tricks and incorporate them into his game.

Outside of his low free throw attempts, this was probably the best game of his proffessional career.

If Reggie got to the line 23 times he probably took a lot more than 25 shots. You just don't see them because missed shots when fouled don't show up on the stat sheet. Otherwise you are right though, George needs to learn how to draw fouls. At the same time though it would be hypocritical of most of the Pacers fan base to not admit that Reggie was a benefactor in getting superstar calls, even against other superstars such as Jordan.

docpaul
12-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I agree, this is the mentality he has to have every night. It just seems as if Paul George has been playing to fit into the system and tonight he played a little more selfish. I think we need Paul George to play a little more selfish. I think that he is capable of playing like this every night, because you could see a distinct difference in the way he was carrying himself tonight.

I really don't get the sense that Vogel is restricting him in any way whatsoever. He has the green light.

Both before the game, and after the game, Vogel specifically said that he's done a poor job of getting PG early offensive looks.

That to me says two things:

1) Vogel wants him as a primary option of offense
2) PG still is in his own head, and needs to succeed early to build self confidence

He's young and he defers to the rest of his team when he starts off poorly offensively. It reminds me a lot of how Granger approached his game over the first few years. As you all know, Granger now has no problem jumping into the pole position offensively.

Crossing my fingers, but my guess is that we'll see this evolution in PG as well.

The thing that I find really special about Paul is that, during this season, if he doesn't get his shot going early, he almost always finds other ways to contribute heavily... whether it's mega rebounding or mega assisting. :)

He's really got almost the entire package. He just needs to realize it and play through early struggles shooting.

As others have said, he needs to learn to attack the basket and draw fouls.

Once he has that skill, look out.

HickeyS2000
12-05-2012, 09:35 AM
It seems to me the coaching staff uses George in 1 of 2 ways game-to-game. 1) when the opposing teams best player is a 2/3, focus 100% on shutting him down and let Hill and West carry the offense... 2) when the opposing teams best player is not a 2/3, try to become more focal in the offense.

Last night seemed like an anomaly. Not only was he trying to shut down Deng, he was trying to carry the load offensively. And he did a damn good job at it. It was obvious how gassed he was late, maybe that's why we didn't go to him on the last play. Regardless, I think it's up to the coaching staff to give him a more defined role, and it's up to George to become consistent in that role. We don't need PG to score 30 every game, but we go need him to give us around 15 points with shut down defense, which for the most part he is doing. His biggest problems are consistency and aggression, one which typically comes with age and the other you are born with. I believe being aggressive, or taking over a game, is not natural to Paul, and it's up to him to get past that. Hopefully last night was a breakthrough.

Pacer Fan
12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Best game for Paul ever in a Pacers uni. At several points in the game, I actually felt like the rest of the team wasn't hustling enough and I almost felt like bad for Paul as he was the only one giving his all. He put that game on his back. I hope the team recognizes this and rallies around him in a most positive way. I think this team can do this and hopefully other players can play with the same intensity here on out.

IndyJones
12-05-2012, 10:22 AM
The best part about Paul's game tonight is he was able to score as much as he did while only attempting 3 - 3 pointers.

Major Cold
12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
At first I felt this way. Then I realized that he is still young and inconsistency comes with that. He will average 16ppg at some point in his career. Derozan has taken awhile to develop some consistency, so we need to be patient. And we can afford to be patient.....if Danny can come back to form.

Unclebuck
12-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Pacers have a balanced offense - that is one of their strengths and their calling cards.

I am not surprised at all that George's offensive production is inconsistant. Every player has to deal with that

PaceBalls
12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
Paul is still figuring it out guys. Games like last night go a long way with things clicking for him. I saw him angry and determined last night. He can still develop that killer instinct that he showed last night.

King Tuts Tomb
12-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I guess some of us may have OTT expectations and we are probably wrong.BUT he has showed at times he can be a great scorer.Why does he not do it more often?Are we led to believe that these super performances are just fireworks/one night thing and nothing else?

The biggest impediment is that he can't drive and create contact, because he doesn't have a strong dribble or great first step. He's not an elite shooter so he's gonna have off nights from the field. When LeBron or Kobe or Durant have those off nights they can use their dribble to get in the lane and get fouled or get good shots. I just don't see that in George's skill set. Which in my opinion means he will probably be an 18-20 ppg guy who gets a lot of rebounds and assists and plays great defense and all his teammates love playing with him. I'm more than happy with that.

People are maybe tricked by his highlight dunks into thinking that he can go over the top and dunk in traffic. His dunks aren't power dunks, they're technical dunks, meaning they don't translate well into games. He doesn't have a strong burst to the basket when he jumps off a drive so he ends up contorting in mid air and tries an acrobatic lay up.

I don't think nights like he had against the Bulls are fireworks, they're just gonna go along with 10 point games just as often and he'll settle into an average in the high teens.

vnzla81
12-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Pacers have a balanced offense - that is one of their strengths and their calling cards.

I am not surprised at all that George's offensive production is inconsistant. Every player has to deal with that

I'm not sure about balance offense, maybe last year but this year they always need somebody to put up big numbers to win and for some reason when one player is playing well everybody else plays bad.

Major Cold
12-05-2012, 11:07 AM
They have a balanced attack. Its just that this year it has taken Hibbert and West awhile to come around on the inside. But with West taking one, two dribbles and attacking the paint it will open it up for the others on the outside. Hibbert will get better, but will not be lights out. It is a bland balance attack that needs consistent perimeter shooting, and a durable attack inside that leads to FTs. We haven't seen any of that until a glimmer recently.

HC
12-05-2012, 11:12 AM
Paul George is not a consistent volume scorer and he doesn't have the ball handling skills or ability to finish around the rim to be a 25 ppg guy. Those 25 a night guys have a driving game that allows them to get to the line when their shot isn't falling. Paul George doesn't have that and never will, I don't think it has anything to do with him being scared or lazy.

However, George is building a complete game, from defense to passing to rebounding, that means he will have an effect on the game even when his shot isn't falling. If you're waiting for him to be TMac then you'll never be happy. If you want him to be an important do-everything-guy on a deep playoff team then I think he's on the right path.

Paul's handles have improved drastically this year. I think he can get there. We have struggeled and are right in the thick of things at 4th in the east, everyone needs to take a chill pill.

MnvrChvy
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
An excellent game by George. The big thing for Paul tonight was that his shot was falling. He was taking some shots that generally only stars take and only when they've decided to carry their team. After the game, both George and Vogel mentioned his special practice sessions to focus on his shot. If that is the reason he did so well, then maybe he will be that star we all hoped for.

Just very impressed with this game, not because of the points, but because of the overall game. I thought he did an excellent job defending a very capable player. Overall I didn't get the feel like he was just trying to force himself on the offensive side either.

I'll be crossing my fingers tonight.

MyFavMartin
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Dude-

He's 22 and always had to defer to the coaches, the system, and being down the list of offensive options (e.g., Granger). He's coming along and consistency will come with time. It'll be great if it happens this season and see what happens in the POs with West, Hibbert, Hill, Granger and PG.

I'm hoping that Danny is coaching him up and making him realize that he won't have his jumper going every night but to not let that affect the confidence in the other aspects of his game (defense, driving the lane, etc.). Teams won't defend him the same way consistently, so there'll be nights when he gets a lot of shots and others when he needs to set his teammates up.

Self esteem and confidence will help his consistency.

Patience.

King Tuts Tomb
12-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Paul's handles have improved drastically this year. I think he can get there. We have struggeled and are right in the thick of things at 4th in the east, everyone needs to take a chill pill.

To be an elite perimeter scorer, which is what people are talking about here, you have to have near elite handles. I don't see George being that kind of player. I think he will be great, just in a different way.

Mackey_Rose
12-05-2012, 11:22 AM
I found myself reading the original post in this thread, and couldn't help but notice I was nodding the entire time. You put a lot of nails out there, and hit every one on the head.

MyFavMartin
12-05-2012, 11:31 AM
It's like we could almost copy the original post verbatim and replace "Paul George" with "Roy Hibbert".

klambert6
12-05-2012, 11:35 AM
It will go a long way to start getting PG the ball closer to the block more and more. He has a nice turn around jumper. It's tough for him to create thirty feet from the basket every time.

Give him the ball in the post and he should be able to do a lot of work from there.

Kid Minneapolis
12-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Paul is still figuring it out guys. Games like last night go a long way with things clicking for him. I saw him angry and determined last night. He can still develop that killer instinct that he showed last night.

I agree. PG is only 22. He's exactly where he needs to be. I believe in 2 years he'll be where most people expect him to be now.

Johanvil
12-05-2012, 12:30 PM
I agree. PG is only 22. He's exactly where he needs to be. I believe in 2 years he'll be where most people expect him to be now.

The irony will be George becoming the player we all hope to be but on a different team.:mad:

PaceBalls
12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
The irony will be George becoming the player we all hope to be but on a different team.:mad:
Not if they pay him. The Pacers are one of the best organizations in basketball to play for. The owner always treats the players fairly and we have/had a great front office.

The only way PG leaves is if the front office does not think he is worth the contract he is demanding or Paul pulls a Dwight Howard on us.

Coopdog23
12-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Went HAM

Hoop
12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Remember when we drafted Paul? You know that very young, late bloomer, raw kid that needed time to develop. Remember it was possibly going to take a few years before he even cracked the rotation.

Well Paul has advanced faster than anyone thought he could at the time. He sit on the bench the first 2 or 3 months of his career, He was starting by the end of his Rookie season (after Vogel took over). Year 2, He then had no training camp or real structured summer training because of the lockout. This season, with Danny being out, he has been asked to do much more than was originally expected of him.

He's been incredibly versatile, 9 3's in one game, 17 rebs in another game, a 9 assist game (How many players can even dream of doing that). He's been great at times and struggled at times, but he continues to grow and learn.

What will PG turn out to be, we'll just have to wait and see. Paul George is a long way off from the finished product, everyone needs to chill.

Hicks
12-05-2012, 12:58 PM
One possible wrinkle to how Paul does/does not get to the rim is that with his size and length, him getting a step or two inside the free throw line is akin to some little guards getting right in front of the rim, so long as he has a good look without a center waiting to swat him. Could be one of the reasons he doesn't kill himself to get right to the rim. Just a thought.

vnzla81
12-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Almost 15 and 7 per game and good defense, what else can you hope from a guy that is only 22 years old? I'm good with Paul George so far.

Now with that said I hope he stays agressive and starts to win more games for the Pacers, and for those that keep crying every time Paul George has a bad game just think about how much worse the Pacers could have done in that draft if they had drafted Udoh, Wesley J, Aminu or even Gordon Hayward instead of Paul George, just think about it, the guy was an steal at that position, redoing that draft he is at least top 6.

picasso
12-05-2012, 02:20 PM
loosing 9 out of 10 to fill your wishes? Seems like you have a selfish fetish you want to fill up.
Yes! We are all frustrated, But it takes time. If you read an article about Paul this offseason,
He doesn't like to step on peoples toes. Ever since HS and ever since Fresno, It's just the nature
of the beast. Not untill he was handed the keys from his team and coach is where the chains were
broken.. Indiana basketball(Since it's no longer smash mouth) Is all about team ball, We don't rely
on one single player.. Yes even when Danny was in there. We all want George to repeat this greatness,
Because I like you know he can. Problem is!?!?! He hasn't been handed the keys to the team, and he's
inconsistent. He has all the tools in the world, Size, Speed and world class athleticism. But this team has 2-3
Alpha Dogs that will not give up the keys, West is clearly the leader of this team. Granger is our most
potent weapon and the soul of this team. He sets the tempo with his trash talking and his toughness.
George Hill also looks to create for himself. But If you want George to take 20-30 shots a game and us lose
then you are liking the wrong team. Follow the Lakers.

MyFavMartin
12-05-2012, 02:24 PM

PG will be a restricted FA. At least we have the problem of having very good young player.

Would you prefer to have drafted Wesley Johnson?

Deadshot
12-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Almost 15 and 7 per game and good defense, what else can you hope from a guy that is only 22 years old? I'm good with Paul George so far.

15 and 7 in itself is great, but I wish it was more consistent. I feel like an actual 15 and 7 every game would help more than 0 one night and 34 the next (although the two times he has went off this year we needed it and barely won).

vnzla81
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
15 and 7 in itself is great, but I wish it was more consistent. I feel like an actual 15 and 7 every game would help more than 0 one night and 34 the next (although the two times he has went off this year we needed it and barely won).

He is not the only one doing that though, West, Hill and him do that all the time, Hibbert is the only one that has been in sucking mode so he doesn't have multiple good games yet.

Eleazar
12-05-2012, 02:33 PM

His rebounding is a bit inconsistent, but I would kind of expect that from a SG/SF. His scoring though is pretty consistent around 12. I believe his average last year was 12, but probably not even close to as consistent as it is this year. So far he has 6 games where he scored over 14, and 3 games where he scored under 11.

naptownmenace
12-05-2012, 02:42 PM
If Reggie got to the line 23 times he probably took a lot more than 25 shots. You just don't see them because missed shots when fouled don't show up on the stat sheet. Otherwise you are right though, George needs to learn how to draw fouls. At the same time though it would be hypocritical of most of the Pacers fan base to not admit that Reggie was a benefactor in getting superstar calls, even against other superstars such as Jordan.

Another thing about Reggie was that, although he wasn't the greatest leaper or the strongest 2-guard, he was probably the fastest shooting guard in the league (maybe even all-time) of moving without the ball. Guys would often crash into him on the catch as they tried to keep up with him coming off of those curl, cuts, and screens. IMHO, he was much faster than Paul George is so he can't draw fouls quite the same way but he can learn to play through the contact or even initiate the way Reggie did. That and-1 play against Marko Bellinelli is the first time I remember seeing him drive into a player and through them to get his shot off.

If Paul could pattern his game off of any player in the NBA, I'd tell him to play like Paul Pierce in his prime.

Ace E.Anderson
12-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Another thing about Reggie was that, although he wasn't the greatest leaper or the strongest 2-guard, he was probably the fastest shooting guard in the league (maybe even all-time) of moving without the ball. Guys would often crash into him on the catch as they tried to keep up with him coming off of those curl, cuts, and screens. IMHO, he was much faster than Paul George is so he can't draw fouls quite the same way but he can learn to play through the contact or even initiate the way Reggie did. That and-1 play against Marko Bellinelli is the first time I remember seeing him drive into a player and through them to get his shot off.

If Paul could pattern his game off of any player in the NBA, I'd tell him to play like Paul Pierce in his prime.

I know you're not saying that's the type of player Paul will become, but I don't think there's any way that Paul will ever be the consistent scorer/slasher that Paul has been throughout his career. Never once did a coach or a teammate have to tell Paul to shoot, or to attack.

I think we'll be lucky if Paul becomes a better shooting variation of Andre Iguodala--which he almost is already. Do it all type of player who is a lot better as a 2nd or 3rd option offensively. Maybe he'll prove me wrong (especially considering that Iggy's career high is only 34pts)

Maybe Paul is a more athletic version of the younger Danny Granger? who knows

BobbyMac
12-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Paul George had a good game. I'm looking forward to more good games. To expect a great game every nite is a bit of a stretch. Pacers went 3-1 on a west coast trip, that is cause for celebration!

Major Cold
12-05-2012, 03:49 PM
I going on a limb and say that this is the start of his breakout. This limb may crack, but with so many up and downs of the season (and they are huge swings 0pts to 34?) I think he will be more consistent. We will see those 10pt and under games less, and see the 16 plus more frequently.

Eleazar
12-05-2012, 04:00 PM
I going on a limb and say that this is the start of his breakout. This limb may crack, but with so many up and downs of the season (and they are huge swings 0pts to 34?) I think he will be more consistent. We will see those 10pt and under games less, and see the 16 plus more frequently.

He has been averaging 16ppg in the past 8 games, and 17ppg in the past 6 games. Which is impressive considering he has a 6, 4, and 0 point games in within that time. It has probably been his highest period of average so far this season, but also his most inconsistent, as it has mostly consisted of high point and low point with very few in between.

PGisthefuture
12-05-2012, 04:13 PM
I am obviously one of Paul's biggest supporters and with that being said, I completely agree. I didn't get to watch the whole game last night, but from what I did watch, he looked more like he wanted that game than any other game I've ever seen before. I could tell he wanted to win and I think the coaches giving him a hard time about having bad games will help him. I remember reading an article that I think was posted on here about Paul being hesitant to take over games because he doesn't want to be a ballhog or what have you. People need to tell him it's ok, just go out there and do what feels right. Get to the basket, pull up for a jumper in a defenders face with confidence, get to the line, etc... I would love if the coaches challenged him to just get double digits every game at the least.

Johanvil
12-05-2012, 04:44 PM
PG will be a restricted FA. At least we have the problem of having very good young player.

Would you prefer to have drafted Wesley Johnson?

What are you talking about?When did i say i would have preferred drafting someone else?
My concern is that he may opt for another team when his contract is up and then go on and fulfill his potential elsewhere(if he hasn't already done that with us).I know,too early thinking about that but just saying.

naptownmenace
12-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I know you're not saying that's the type of player Paul will become, but I don't think there's any way that Paul will ever be the consistent scorer/slasher that Paul has been throughout his career. Never once did a coach or a teammate have to tell Paul to shoot, or to attack.

I think we'll be lucky if Paul becomes a better shooting variation of Andre Iguodala--which he almost is already. Do it all type of player who is a lot better as a 2nd or 3rd option offensively. Maybe he'll prove me wrong (especially considering that Iggy's career high is only 34pts)

Maybe Paul is a more athletic version of the younger Danny Granger? who knows

I definitely can see the Iguodala comparison. I love Iggy's game.

I think he's developing okay. That zero point game was a real head-scratcher but at least it seemed to motivate him increase his intensity. I really don't think that Paul will ever be a superstar but if he can be as good as Iggy, I can live with that.

McKeyFan
12-05-2012, 05:09 PM
The big question is what happened all of the sudden for him to have great shot selection?

This isn't a case of him suddenly getting hot. It did help that he hit his first few to increase his confidence. But I don't really care if he was 40 percent from the field the other night. He was taking the right shots, in the right places, getting to the rim and helping the offense create.

Did somebody talk to him? Did the light bulb just go on somehow? Will it suddenly go off next game? That's what I'm interested in watching.

Phree Refill
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
So now we have two Iguodalas (Granger/George) on the team?

ilive4sports
12-05-2012, 05:40 PM
“In five years,” the Eastern Conference scout said, “Paul George will be the best player to come out of this draft.
“Trust me.”

PG is in his 3rd year in the league. He is 22. Not many players have come into the league at such a young age and played consistently at a extremely high level, like all star level which you are talking about. Give PG some time. Danny being out right now makes us need him to mature faster, but it also puts a lot more on PG than he has been ready for. He's not going to be consistent on offense this year imo. He's going to struggle to get to that next level. But that doesn't mean he is trash now. His 4 point and 0 point outings against Sacramento and GS are unacceptable. PG knows this. Thats why he's taking 500 jumpers a day now.

Give the kid time. Was Danny in the league at his age even?

HC
12-05-2012, 11:21 PM
To be an elite perimeter scorer, which is what people are talking about here, you have to have near elite handles. I don't see George being that kind of player. I think he will be great, just in a different way.

As long as he is improving we should be happy. We will have to wait and see what he becomes.

VideoVandal
12-05-2012, 11:34 PM
While it has been brought up that Paul George isn't a great ball-handler, and that will limit his overall ceiling he has as a scorer. Keep in mind a lot of guys with average to below average ball-handling have scored a lot of points in this league and he has the tools to score even with out elite ball-handling skills he has the out side shot, length, and athleticism to consistently get to the spots he needs on the court to score. You have to look no further than our own team to find an example of a guy that has scored a ton of points over his career with limited ball-handling skills in Granger. Will Granger even iso a guy break his ankles and score? No but he does do a good jump at taking angles, using a quick first step, sealing guys off with his body when he gains a step on a person, etc. that gets him to the bucket/FT line consistently enough to be a high scoring player. So while PG is limited in that we can't really call isos for him etc. I still think he has the tools he needs to be a guy that can get to the basket/the spots on the court he needs to be effective. For one he has shown some what of a post game the last 2 games something we have seen the Pacers try in past but it was never successful he has made some solid plays last 2 games in the post......He has driven past guys that are making hard close outs the last few games a lot more often than I had seen him doing.......and lastly he is FINALLY using his length as a factor on offense instead of just defense the last 2 games......I told my brother after the first 37 point 9 3 point performance when we were both going nuts watching the game bowing down to PG in the performance, that while it was fun and amazing to watch it still actually wasn't the kind of game I was looking for from PG to get the next level as a player.....Simply because repeating that type of performance is obv. almost impossible considering Reggie is a 10x better perimeter player than he is and his career high in 3s was 8.......However, these last 2 games have shown me things that make me excited that PG may have finally figured "IT" out......once he consistently starts using his length to good effect on offense he has the potential to be a very good player, even with limited ball-handling skills.

daschysta
12-05-2012, 11:55 PM
The great thing about George, that gives him greater potential than Granger offensively is that he's a much better passer than Danny is or ever was, he creates for others, just compare the plays where frank ISOs GH or DW vs. plays where George even touches the ball, the latter got us an open shot almost every time, whether we sunk it or not.

Pace Maker
12-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Good to see another solid game from him tonight.

People need to realize, our expectations for him are just too high. I don't think he will ever be a superstar caliber player, its unreasonable for us to expect him to be, in his 3rd season at age 22 no less.

daschysta
12-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Good to see another solid game from him tonight.

People need to realize, our expectations for him are just too high. I don't think he will ever be a superstar caliber player, its unreasonable for us to expect him to be, in his 3rd season at age 22 no less.

He won't be an offensive superstar, as in can average 25+ sustained for an entire season.

I do see potential for 18-22 ppg though, with elite defense and a hefty serving of assists and rebounds. That's one of the top players in the NBA if he finds his consistency.

aamcguy
12-06-2012, 12:28 AM
He won't be an offensive superstar, as in can average 25+ sustained for an entire season.

I do see potential for 18-22 ppg though, with elite defense and a hefty serving of assists and rebounds. That's one of the top players in the NBA if he finds his consistency.

I agreed he can be a consistently good scorer, but I see 18-22 ppg as the range of his top-out season. I think 15-18 ppg is a more realistic average for him.

Trader Joe
12-06-2012, 12:53 AM
2 games down....I need to see 5 of 20+. I am so happy with where he is even without the scoring, this is just the first time we've reallys een any signs of this .

daschysta
12-06-2012, 01:33 AM
I agreed he can be a consistently good scorer, but I see 18-22 ppg as the range of his top-out season. I think 15-18 ppg is a more realistic average for him.

18-22 is a number we can agree on, which really, is all that a player like Paul needs to average since he's so good at the non-scoring aspects of basketball generally.

After tonights game though, he's averaging 15 ppg on the dot this season, I wouldn't be suprised to see him continue to push that average into the 16ish-17ish ppg range by the end of the season, as he becomes more consistent with time (I've noticed a shift in his aggression and attitude recently already, beyond just the results from boxscores) he should be able to eclipse that range without too much trouble imo.

I want to see him put up a prolonged string of 15+ point games, he has all the ability to have games like tonights one consistently, it's just going to take some time for that mindset to ossify. I think the Pacers consistently winning when Paul tries to be aggressive offensively and score 20+ ppg is doing alot for Paul's confidence to consistently be aggressive, he's a team oriented guy I believe we'll see him have games like this regularly once it sets in for him that playing like this, rather than deferring and wavering is what helps the team win, particularly with Danny out.

imawhat
12-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Paul has 9 free throw attempts in the past two games. 4.5/game would make him tops on the Pacers, just above Tyler.

That would be fantastic.

colts19
12-06-2012, 11:22 AM
PG is in his 3rd year in the league. He is 22. Not many players have come into the league at such a young age and played consistently at a extremely high level, like all star level which you are talking about. Give PG some time. Danny being out right now makes us need him to mature faster, but it also puts a lot more on PG than he has been ready for. He's not going to be consistent on offense this year imo. He's going to struggle to get to that next level. But that doesn't mean he is trash now. His 4 point and 0 point outings against Sacramento and GS are unacceptable. PG knows this. Thats why he's taking 500 jumpers a day now.

Give the kid time. Was Danny in the league at his age even?

Yes Danny was a rookie, he averaged 7.5 pts, 4.5 rebounds