View Full Version : 1995 Jordan comeback game against Pacers

Sollozzo
12-02-2012, 09:12 AM
This is pretty cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYVSCK7424c

Any PDers attend this?

2minutes twoa
12-02-2012, 10:20 AM
I remember this game! I was in college in Missouri. It wasn't originally a nationally televised game until he decided to come back. Sat in the dorm lounge with about 30 other people. As the only Pacers fan in the group, it was very satisfying that my team made sure his first game back was a loss!

Romsey31
12-02-2012, 10:45 AM
man hibbert should go to rik smiths for some help on the offensive end.. watching smits on offense compared to Hibbert is like night and day, but then again smits wouldnt be able to help him with his agility and thats hibberts main problem, every move he makes even as simple as running seems so robotic

Sandman21
12-02-2012, 11:46 AM
It wasn't originally a nationally televised game until he decided to come back.

Incorrect. The game had already been scheduled for NBC, although they made some coverage changes in the 24 hours warning they had.

Sollozzo
12-02-2012, 11:51 AM
Incorrect. The game had already been scheduled for NBC, although they made some coverage changes in the 24 hours warning they had.

Yeah, Reggie's I love Being The Enemy book is a diary of this very season. When the rumors of Jordan coming back surfaced, Reggie was holding out hope that he would chose to come back against the Pacers since it was a nationally televised NBC game.

Does anyone know how much scalpers were charging for this game? I bet it was through the roof.

Sandman21
12-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Does anyone know how much scalpers were charging for this game? I bet it was through the roof.
Reggie's book said $750 for courtside, $200 to $400 elsewhere in MSA. Also, the scalpers were buying and selling on the freeway exits.

2minutes twoa
12-02-2012, 03:19 PM

All I know is it wasn't going to be aired in Missouri until he announced his comeback.

Bball
12-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Yeah... I always assumed Jordan picked the Pacers' game precisely because it was a nationally televised weekend game. And the Pacers were also a respected team at that point so it wouldn't look like he chose a cupcake for his return either.

MagicRat
12-02-2012, 08:50 PM
A couple of items from the archives.....

2 sided placard they were handing out in the street.....
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/jordancomeback2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/jordancomeback1.jpg

Not quite courtside ticket stub.....
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/jordancomeback3.jpg

2minutes twoa
12-02-2012, 10:17 PM
This explains it. It must've been expanded to my area after his comeback was announced:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006366/index.htm

His decision to come back in this Sunday-afternoon game was fortuitous for NBC, which already had Chicago-Indiana on its broadcast schedule for 53% of the country. The network quickly expanded coverage to include all but the Charlotte and Salt Lake City markets, which saw the Charlotte Hornets-Utah Jazz contest. According to preliminary Nielsen figures, Jordan's return was easily NBC's most watched NBA regular-season telecast in five years, swamping CBS's competing NCAA coverage. (Jordan insisted that neither the network nor the NBA influenced his timing.)

Sollozzo
12-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks for sharing that MRat! I'd say that $17 ticket was a pretty good value.

Jon Theodore
12-02-2012, 10:36 PM
I was in attendance, I was a kid but have vivid memories of the game. I remember those wheaties signs.

Jon Theodore
12-02-2012, 10:38 PM
Reggie's book said $750 for courtside, $200 to $400 elsewhere in MSA. Also, the scalpers were buying and selling on the freeway exits.

We paid 200 for a pair of nosebleeds, it seemed like a reallllly good deal at the time.

kmjohnson
12-02-2012, 10:42 PM

I was at this game. I remember on the way to the arena talking with my stepmom about how much we could probably sell the tickets for. In the end, we decided it would be better to be a part of the history of his come back than sell the tickets. Great time.

Peck
12-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I was at the game & frankly I have never understood why people refer to that as Micheal Jordan's comeback game.

To me that was the Dale Davis 20 rebound 5 block ruin the national media's hype day. :)

Sollozzo
12-02-2012, 11:44 PM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199503190IND.html

Looks like Byron Scott was huge for us off of the bench.

BRushWithDeath
12-03-2012, 01:59 AM
My grandfather took me, my brother, and my cousin. We had seats in the first row behind the Bulls bench. I can't remember how he got the tickets (Was Del Harris on their staff? They were close.) but that was a pretty amazing day looking back on it.

croz24
12-03-2012, 02:05 AM
3rd row across from the Pacers bench. Remember it like it was yesterday.

Eddie Gill
12-03-2012, 03:03 AM
All I know is it wasn't going to be aired in Missouri until he announced his comeback.

Where in Missouri did you go to college?

idioteque
12-03-2012, 07:24 AM
I wasn't in the arena but I was downtown for something else.

One thing I remember just walking by MSA was the sheer amount of media that had a presence there. I attended a lot of nationally televised games in person, and it seemed like for that game there were way more media trucks than usual. Or maybe not, I was 9 years old. There was definitely an electric feeling in the city that day though, I remember that for sure.

Sollozzo
12-03-2012, 07:26 AM
I wasn't in the arena but I was downtown for something else.

One thing I remember just walking by MSA was the sheer amount of media that had a presence there. I attended a lot of nationally televised games in person, and it seemed like for that game there were way more media trucks than usual. Or maybe not, I was 9 years old. There was definitely an electric feeling in the city that day though, I remember that for sure.

I wasn't there and was only 7 years old at time, but I bet there was more media at that game than any home game in Pacers history, including the Finals against the Lakers.

Sollozzo
12-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Also, those orange seats at MSA that they show in the intro were extremely ugly. The blue ones they replaced them with the next year looked infinitely better.

Unclebuck
12-03-2012, 08:19 AM
I was at that game. Wasn't that the game where Reggie sustained a leg injury - or was it someone else.

Overall it wasn't one of my favorite games. I just wanted the Pacers to win and some of the distraction of it all was annoying to me.

Sollozzo
12-03-2012, 08:21 AM
I was at that game. Wasn't that the game where Reggie sustained a leg injury - or was it someone else.

Overall it wasn't one of my favorite games. I just wanted the Pacers to win and some of the distraction of it all was annoying to me.

I think Jordan collided with Reggie. Reggie talked about it in his book.

2minutes twoa
12-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Where in Missouri did you go to college?

Springfield. Central Bible College. Went there for a year and a half and then moved back to finish up at Ball State.

BPump33
12-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I was there with a group from the Franklin Boys & Girls Club. I was only 11, but I remember bits and pieces.

Hicks
12-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Also, those orange seats at MSA that they show in the intro were extremely ugly. The blue ones they replaced them with the next year looked infinitely better.

I'm fine with the green ones we have now, but I think it'd look awesome to replace them with Pacer navy blue ones.

This takes me back because I remember the buzz about his return and it got me to tune into the game as well. This was before I considered myself a Pacers fan, so at the time I was just in awe of the return of Jordan.

NapTonius Monk
12-03-2012, 12:15 PM
I remember NBC making a point of the additional global media coverage for that game. It was crazy.

Major Cold
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I lov Grady...but I miss Reb.

Sollozzo
12-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I lov Grady...but I miss Reb.

Same. I have to give Grady credit. He's come in and done an excellent job of replacing someone very popular who did it for a long time. No easy task.

HickeyS2000
12-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Didn't attend the game, but I still have the VHS of this in my collection. I can remember quite a bit of the game, even though I haven't watched it in at least 15 years. I remember this one went to overtime, I believe thanks to BJ Armstrong. I also remember an incredible series where Reggie hits a 3, comes down and misses one, we get an offensive rebound and Reggie for another 3. MSA erupts and the Bulls call a timeout. I replayed that series of events over and over and over in my driveway, as I was 10 years old at the time.

RWB
12-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah the Mrs. and I remeber this one....... the main thought being Jordan's like a bad penny you can't get rid of or the damn vampire you couldn't kill. While it seemed everyone else was excited I was not happy at all.

bballpacen
12-04-2012, 09:10 PM
I was at this game, 11 years old, and I remember the pregame atmosphere pretty vividly... Dont remember to much of the game however... I thought that it was awesome that I went with my Boys and Girls basketball team because we had sold the most during the fundraiser... Looking back, it is pretty sweet to say that I was there at this game...