PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Bogut basically admits that Warriors have been lying

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 12:18 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8689937/andrew-bogut-golden-state-warriors-admits-microfracture-surgery-indefinitely

This raises a lot of questions.

It also doesn't make me feel comfortable about Danny's procedure. Has there been any precedence for this before in the NBA? A player coming out and saying the team has not been completely honest about a procedure?

pacer4ever
11-29-2012, 12:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8689937/andrew-bogut-golden-state-warriors-admits-microfracture-surgery-indefinitely

It also doesn't make me feel comfortable about Danny's procedure. Has there been any precedence for this before in the NBA? A play coming out and saying the team has not been completely honest about a procedure?

Ya Al Jefferson has it in his knee

Tim Duncan has had it in his shoulder for 10 years

My understanding is that if you catch it early and the therapy works he will be fine for his playing career. However if the therapy doesn't work he will have surgery and it will virtually end his playing career.

This is the same injury that end Johnathan Bender's career

aamcguy
11-29-2012, 12:23 PM

It also doesn't make me feel comfortable about Danny's procedure. Has there been any precedence for this before in the NBA? A play coming out and saying the team has not been completely honest about a procedure?

I can't think of any off of the top of my head in the NBA, but Peyton Manning comes to mind.

Since86
11-29-2012, 12:28 PM
NFL teams make a habit out of lying about injuries.

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
NFL teams make a habit out of lying about injuries.

Yeah, but I said in the NBA. It's kind of accepted in the NFL, which is weird.

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Ya Al Jefferson has it in his knee

Tim Duncan has had it in his shoulder for 10 years

My understanding is that if you catch it early and the therapy works he will be fine for his playing career. However if the therapy doesn't work he will have surgery and it will virtually end his playing career.

This is the same injury that end Johnathan Bender's career

This wasn't my question LOL

pacer4ever
11-29-2012, 12:35 PM
This wasn't my question LOL

I misread sorry. Im not sure nothing comes to mind but im sure it happens. Tanking teams do it every year :). (where a sore back turns into a 3 month injury so the team can tank)

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 12:37 PM
I misread sorry. Im not sure nothing comes to mind but im sure it happens. Tanking teams do it every year :). (where a sore back turns into a 3 month injury so the team can tank)

Sure, team have often done, that, overstated injuries and kept guys out longer. Heck I concsider Tinsley's sinus issues a case of that, but I can't think of a team in the NBA ever underselling a guy's injury and then having it come out publicly like this, how would you feel if you were a Warrior fan right now? Especially a season ticket holder.

vnzla81
11-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Impossible, teams never lie ..........

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Impossible, teams never lie ..........

I never said that, my question to you is, why would you continue to support a team that lied to you?

pacer4ever
11-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Sure, team have often done, that, overstated injuries and kept guys out longer. Heck I consider Tinsley's sinus issues a case of that, but I can't think of a team in the NBA ever underselling a guy's injury and then having it come out publicly like this, how would you feel if you were a Warrior fan right now? Especially a season ticket holder.

The Warriors sell out almost every game so I agree I don't know why they would lie. I could understand if the Pacers did that with Granger because he draws fans that we need to sell more tickets. But Vnz is right team never lie lol. Im sure it happens more often than not. I believe the Knicks this year kept saying Amare would be a go for the opener even though they knew he wasn't near ready. I didn't read up on that story fully so maybe I missed some parts of that story.

Didn't the Colts do this in a way with Manning they said they would sign him back even though they knew they wouldn't(didnt they make the decision a few days after the renewal date for S&T were due??)

Thats sports I guess gotta sell tickets

vnzla81
11-29-2012, 12:52 PM
I never said that, my question to you is, why would you continue to support a team that lied to you?

Why would Golden State fans keep supporting the team after this lie? should they just close the doors? of course no.

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Again, specific question is, has a team ever lied about a player's procedure in the NBA only to have the player come out and say what it really was? I'm not looking for speculation, I'm looking for another event, all I'm trying to figure out is if this is a first. If you were a Warriors season ticket holder right now, I would be upset. If I found out the Pacers had lied about Danny's procedure, I would want my money back, especially if Danny was the one who broke the story.

vnzla81
11-29-2012, 12:54 PM
The Warriors sell out almost every game so I agree I don't know why they would lie. I could understand if the Pacers did that with Granger because he draws fans that we need to sell more tickets. But Vnz is right team never lie lol. Im sure it happens more often than not. I believe the Knicks this year kept saying Amare would be a go for the opener even though they knew he wasn't near ready. I didn't read up on that story fully so maybe I missed some parts of that story.

Didn't the Colts do this in a way with Manning they said they would sign him back even though they knew they wouldn't(didnt they make the decision a few days after the renewal date for S&T were due??)

Thats sports I guess gotta sell tickets

Wells kind of say that the highlighted part is what the Pacers are kind of doing, I guess we will know if he is right in few months.

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Why would Golden State fans keep supporting the team after this lie? should they just close the doors? of course no.

I mean people have supported WWE for years, but they also probably don't get all upset when their favorite wrestle doesn't win a championship.

Of course lies can be profitable, but I don't support the WWE. If we found out in February that Danny actually had microfracture surgery on his knee, I would be pissed.

vnzla81
11-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I mean people have supported WWE for years, but they also probably don't get all upset when their favorite wrestle doesn't win a championship.

Of course lies can be profitable, but I don't support the WWE. If we found out in February that Danny actually had microfracture surgery on his knee, I would be pissed.

You would be pissed and you are still(together with me) going to support the team, teams lie all the time, that's what they do.

Since86
11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
If TJ is asking for examples of when NBA teams lied about injuries, and you say that it happens all the time, then you should be able to actually answer his question and give examples.

Sandman21
11-29-2012, 01:21 PM
If we found out in February that Danny actually had microfracture surgery on his knee, I would be pissed.

If Danny DID have microfracture surgery, he must have rehabbed his rear to be off crutches and traveling with the team after about three weeks or so.

BillS
11-29-2012, 01:37 PM
If Danny DID have microfracture surgery, he must have rehabbed his rear to be off crutches and traveling with the team after about three weeks or so.

He's lying about being off his crutches. They are invisible.

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 01:37 PM
If TJ is asking for examples of when NBA teams lied about injuries, and you say that it happens all the time, then you should be able to actually answer his question and give examples.

Better fun to just speculate wildly.

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 01:38 PM
He's lying about being off his crutches. They are invisible.

I want to be clear that I'm not saying that Danny or the Pacers have lied, just stating that I would be upset if it was the case as it is with the Warriors.

Anthem
11-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Tyler's vertigo? Dunleavy's calcified tendon?

I guess I don't really understand the "has this ever happened" thought. What about this is different from what happened with Dunleavy?

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 02:29 PM

I guess I don't really understand the "has this ever happened" thought. What about this is different from what happened with Dunleavy?

Dunleavy received a specific procedure that was much serious that what was originally represented? News to me. I always thought Dunleavy was poorly diagnosed.

vnzla81
11-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Dunleavy is a good example, JO is another one(he even got mad at the Pacers), Bender?

Examples from other teams: NO with Tyson Chandler, he got traded to OKC and was send back to NO because his toe was worse than what NO was letting people know.

Philly with Bynum? nobody really knows what is going on there.

Ray Allen with Boston? Boston said he was hurt and Ray was saying that he was fine to play more minutes and then he got mad at them and went to Miami.

EJ with New Orleans? Monty Williams got mad at EJ because he thought he was ready to play so somebody is not telling the true there.

Like I said before, teams lie all the time.

Trader Joe
11-29-2012, 03:31 PM
None of those examples show a franchise saying player A received operation X (way less serious procedure), when player A really received operation Y (much more serious procedure), and then had player A break this news separately from the team.

vnzla81
11-30-2012, 12:47 AM
@gswscribe: GM Bob Myers confessed to the Warriors misleading fans about Andrew Bogut's ankle surgery. Says blame belongs at... http://t.co/6TOPTvhP

d_c
11-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Nothing the Warriors haven't done before.....which is basically to do everything to protect ticket sales.

LoneGranger33
11-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Nothing the Warriors haven't done before.....which is basically to do everything to protect ticket sales.

...short of trying to win games.

LoneGranger33
11-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Has there been any precedence for this before in the NBA? A player coming out and saying the team has not been completely honest about a procedure?

This is not exactly the same situation, but the way the front office in Portland handled both Darius Miles and Brandon Roy's retirement belongs in the category of general lies and misinformation about injuries. I don't think we have any reason to fear as Pacer fans though. It's not like we hired any of those guys to manage our squad.

HC
11-30-2012, 08:33 AM

The only thing the WWE lies about is injuries, everyone knows that the show itself is scripted. That being said the WWE is probably more dangerous than most sports, and its fanbase appreciates the wrestlers sacrificing their bodies for our entertainment.......apples and oranges.

vnzla81
11-30-2012, 09:03 AM
This is not exactly the same situation, but the way the front office in Portland handled both Darius Miles and Brandon Roy's retirement belongs in the category of general lies and misinformation about injuries. I don't think we have any reason to fear as Pacer fans though. It's not like we hired any of those guys to manage our squad.

I think you are forgetting the part that once those guys becomes Pacers they sign an oath and they get told by the Pope to never tell a lie and be "straight up shooters".

Trader Joe
11-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Vnzla is http://www.imgbase.info/images/safe-wallpapers/tv_movies/dr_house/8630_dr_house.jpg

Naptown_Seth
11-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Joe is saying that we all know teams fudge or try to avoid specifics, but there doesn't seem to be any definite cases of "Yes, we are openly telling you he got a tetnus shot" followed by an event 3 months later where the player says "that was an outright lie, I had my arm amputated". It's a case of the team outright lying about a known procedure, not about being wrong on a diagnoses or just being coy with the information and letting people speculate.

It's one thing to not disclose everything, and another to directly say something different happened.

Trader Joe
11-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Joe is saying that we all know teams fudge or try to avoid specifics, but there doesn't seem to be any definite cases of "Yes, we are openly telling you he got a tetnus shot" followed by an event 3 months later where the player says "that was an outright lie, I had my arm amputated". It's a case of the team outright lying about a known procedure, not about being wrong on a diagnoses or just being coy with the information and letting people speculate.

It's one thing to not disclose everything, and another to directly say something different happened.

Yes this is exactly what I am saying. It'd be like the Bulls last year in the playoffs saying Derrick Rose has a sprained knee and is questionable and then us finding out in August that he actually blew out his knee and had to have ACL reconstruction.

Slick Pinkham
11-30-2012, 12:39 PM
I seem to recall that the first 5 or so times Greg Oden injured his knee in Portland there was always a rosy prognosis for 100% recovery in practically no time. I am not sure that the actual nature of the injury was ever covered up, though, just the severity and/or expected recovery time.

Slick Pinkham
11-30-2012, 12:45 PM
One perhaps relevant example: Jeremy Lin's late-season injury last year was clearly more serious than the Knicks led on. They knew there was a torn miniscus, yet he was listed as day-to-day forever. By one report, the Knicks held on to that bad news until the passage of the date for their fans to buy playoff tickets, in a ticket campaign that heavily promoted "Linsanity":

The Knicks were eventually going to get around to revealing the troubling results of Jeremy Lin’s MRI but certainly not before last Wednesday. That was a crucial day inside the club’s executive offices at Two Penn Plaza because March 28 represented the deadline for season- ticket holders to purchase all four rounds of the playoffs.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/knicks_reportedly_held_off_announcing_jeremy_lins_ injury_to_sell_playoff_tickets/10463794

Trader Joe
11-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I'm looking for a specific lie though about a procedure. Which is what happened here.

Bball
12-01-2012, 06:19 AM
I'm sure the Pacers did with Bender... although they didn't make a big production out of cleaning up the lie (or misinformation if you prefer). They just planted a story that mentioned the more serious diagnosis/procedure (whichever it was) with a drop in comment as if it was common knowledge (even though it was totally several layers deeper than what they'd said previously).

In a pseudo reverse situation didn't the team want Artest to tough out his hand injury and he took it upon himself to have surgery without the team's knowledge or blessings?

Anthem
12-01-2012, 06:14 PM
Hmm. I was fairly certain that we found out different info about Dunleavy's surgery after the fact than what was presented... it was presented as "just needs some rest," then we heard a rumor that it was potentially career-threatening, that whole thing was denied, then after he returned we discovered that it was, in fact, career-threatening.

Also, there was this:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?47226-Dunleavy-had-hip-surgery

vnzla81
12-01-2012, 06:22 PM
Thanks for posting that thread Anthem, you can replace Dunleavy's name with Danny's name on that thread and people have the same opinions :laugh:

"Yeah Lebron had also surgery they should trade him too" :laugh: