PDA

View Full Version : is Collison benched?

MillerTime
11-27-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm watching the Mavs vs. Philly game and some Jones is their starting PG, but I just saw Collison sitting on the bench in uniform.

Is he benched?

CJ Jones
11-27-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm watching the Mavs vs. Philly game and some Jones is their starting PG, but I just saw Collison sitting on the bench in uniform.

Is he benched?

Yes. Sounds like his defense has been the problem.

Goyle
11-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Wouldn't be surprised, he's been pretty much the DC we all know too well after his initial hot start.

Doddage
11-27-2012, 07:52 PM
They're trying him out as a backup PG, which is arguably his most productive role.

CJ Jones
11-27-2012, 07:55 PM
and he's killin it... 8/5ast/4st already in 2nd qtr

vnzla81
11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
@basketballtalk: Mavericks’ Carlisle frustrated enough with Collison to start Dominique Jones http://t.co/Vz7Xnuyf #PBT #NBA

Pacergeek
11-27-2012, 08:27 PM
shouldn't this post be in the former Pacers thread? Not sure how this is at all relevant to Pacer basketball

Ace E.Anderson
11-27-2012, 08:41 PM
If he could accept being a backup, he'd be one of the best in the leauge

McKeyFan
11-27-2012, 08:45 PM
shouldn't this post be in the former Pacers thread? Not sure how this is at all relevant to Pacer basketball
Sometimes very recent players get mo' special attention.

Peck
11-27-2012, 08:52 PM

While it is a Pacers centric board we also talk about all of the NBA here on the Digest.

Pacergeek
11-27-2012, 08:54 PM
While it is a Pacers centric board we also talk about all of the NBA here on the Digest.

I understand, but there is a thread dedicated specifically to former Pacers and how they are doing. Threads like these clutter up the forum

Eleazar
11-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I understand, but there is a thread dedicated specifically to former Pacers and how they are doing. Threads like these clutter up the forum

I have been on boards where they relegated all talk of certain broad subjects to one single thread. Those boards quickly become boring, and dead as some topics do not get the proper attention they need because of being too strict about dedicated threads and forum clutter.

rexnom
11-28-2012, 01:07 AM
That Collison-Mahinmi trade sure doesn't look bad tonight.

MvPlumlee
11-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Interesting to see how he responds to that. The protecting approach from Vogel didn't have much effect on him playing D.

Natston
11-28-2012, 12:45 PM
Let it be noted that DC is better than DJ at sitting on the bench drinking gatorade...

3rdStrike
11-28-2012, 06:33 PM
lol, what happened to the large contingent that said the Pacers front office was stupid for keeping Hill over Collison, who said Collison's amazing play is exactly what Roy Hibbert needs to be successful, he was the missing piece that made our team run, etc? Didn't even take 15 games.

Next up: The OJ Mayo Fan Club.

Dece
11-28-2012, 06:40 PM
That trade will always look bad, we gave a solid backup PG away for a player we could have outright signed.

rexnom
11-28-2012, 07:01 PM
That trade will always look bad, we gave a solid backup PG away for a player we could have outright signed.
This is a fair point, mathematically. Not sure if Mahinmi would have signed with us outright.

But as a trade, we basically flipped bench small talent for bench big talent. I still have hope for DJ Augustin, especially in an even shorter rotation in the playoffs with Danny back.

Naptown_Seth
11-28-2012, 07:21 PM
And had to think of cap space in general. So you sign Ian and still end up trading DC so you can keep the salaries down, but you trade him for a player of Young's level. And Dallas also was asked to absorb DJones contract, so there was benefit to the Pacers with the move.

Heisenberg
11-29-2012, 12:19 AM
This is a fair point, mathematically. Not sure if Mahinmi would have signed with us outright.

But as a trade, we basically flipped bench small talent for bench big talent. I still have hope for DJ Augustin, especially in an even shorter rotation in the playoffs with Danny back.
Mahinmi would've signed with us outright, he said as much in an interview...somewhere. I can't remember where I read/heard it but he got asked about the trade and said something along the lines of "...well, I was going to Indiana anyway..." I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it so you'll just have to take my word for it, but he said it.

vnzla81
11-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Mahinmi would've signed with us outright, he said as much in an interview...somewhere. I can't remember where I read/heard it but he got asked about the trade and said something along the lines of "...well, I was going to Indiana anyway..." I can't for the life of me remember where I heard it so you'll just have to take my word for it, but he said it.

Yeah it was on an interview, there is a thread about it I think.

Pacerized
11-29-2012, 12:48 AM
Yeah it was on an interview, there is a thread about it I think.

Yes it was in the star interview I think. There is no way to call this a good trade. We gave them there starting or primary pg for nothing. DC is still playing far better then DJ this year. DJ has sucked 14 out of 15 games and Ian has sucked 13 out of 15. I don't forget the first 13 games that easily.

Strummer
11-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Some interesting stuff about the Mavs point guard sitch.

THE FACTS II: After the game, Dallas coach Rick Carlisle announced the team was going to sign Derek Fisher Thursday.

QUOTABLE: "We need help at the point guard position. It's challenging for us. I don't see (Fisher) as a cure-all, but he can help." -- Dallas coach Rick Carlisle.

INJURY UPDATE: Carlisle said after the game he found out minutes before the start of the game that Darren Collison jammed a finger in Philadelphia Tuesday and could not play.

http://www.nba.com/games/20121128/DALCHI/gameinfo.html

rock747
11-29-2012, 02:08 AM
How do you find out minutes before game that your player was hurt in a game the night before?

Eleazar
11-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Yes it was in the star interview I think. There is no way to call this a good trade. We gave them there starting or primary pg for nothing. DC is still playing far better then DJ this year.

Which is why I believe it is highly likely DC asked for the trade. The trade just doesn't make sense any other way.

Sandman21
11-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Scott Agness ‏@ScottAgness

Those missing Darren Collison: The Mavs, losers of 3 in a row, signed 38yr-old Derek Fisher bc starting DC "isn’t fair to him," per Carlise.

That sound more like Rick's assistant to me....

Unclebuck
11-29-2012, 01:41 PM
At no time during the first 7 weeks of the season have I wanted Collison back. (maybe you might say we should have gotten more, or less or something different, but regardless Collison is not missed by me)

3rdStrike
11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Benched for Derek Fisher? Not much left to say now.

vnzla81
11-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Kurt Helin ‏@basketballtalk
Mavs Carlisle thinking of starting Fisher, benching Collison http://dlvr.it/2Ycw9f #PBT #NBA

Speed
11-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Does that mean Dominique Jones is relagated to 3rd string?

CJ Jones
11-29-2012, 04:13 PM
At no time during the first 7 weeks of the season have I wanted Collison back. (maybe you might say we should have gotten more, or less or something different, but regardless Collison is not missed by me)

DC would have helped us win some more games this year IMO. He certainly would have helped more than DJ has so far. Of course he probably would have been disgruntled, but who cares.

PaceBalls
11-29-2012, 04:22 PM

George Hill was definitely the right choice if we had to choose..

The only time I miss Collison is when DJ Augustine is playing.

Dece
11-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Tired of the false dichotomy. We never had to choose. We had both players under contract. Neither one plays 48 mpg at point guard, and neither is incapable of playing any minutes at the 2. Quit making up things.

billbradley
11-29-2012, 06:41 PM
I can't believe Collison gets the best situation possible, and he's been outplayed for the starting position assuming Derek Fisher passes a physical.

Sookie
11-29-2012, 07:00 PM
Benched for Derek Fisher? Not much left to say now.

I think it's pretty obvious the coach is trying to make a point. Not that DC is actually being outplayed by Fisher.

I miss DC because he's certainly better than Augustine. And I like Hill off ball. He's also better than often given credit for. (Although, clearly has his flaws.)

imawhat
11-29-2012, 07:03 PM
This is not uncommon from Carlisle. Remember he benched Tinsley for Kenny Anderson when he first arrived. Then Tinsley played his way back into the starting lineup*.

Anyway, we saw it here. Collison was a much better/motivated player when he came off the bench for us. Come on, UB, you don't miss Collison over Augustin? He did a lot of things poorly but he was surely competitive/fiery, and our team is lacking that right now.

*Collison's situation is way different from Jamaal's.

McKeyFan
11-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Someone pointed out that he would look pretty bad saying anything else after the fact.

PaceBalls
11-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Tired of the false dichotomy. We never had to choose. We had both players under contract. Neither one plays 48 mpg at point guard, and neither is incapable of playing any minutes at the 2. Quit making up things.

I said "if we had to choose". I wonder if DC didn't want out though. I don't work for the front office and I don't know, I doubt you do either. Am I allowed to speculate? thanks.

Dece
11-29-2012, 09:24 PM
Doesn't matter what he wanted, we owned his contract. I bet he wanted to play in the NBA, we didn't have to do anything.

PaceBalls
11-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Of course it mattered. The front office could have forced him to play, but do you really want a disgruntled player in the locker room? Or maybe they wanted to do right by DC and give him a better shot at a starting job elsewhere. There is the club reputation and player perception on how the team operates to think about. Especially when you think of Paul George or David West's contracts coming up soon.

Dece
11-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Ok, well, I guess we should just give away every player of any value for free anytime they don't wanna be a Pacer anymore. No reason we should hold them to their contracts at all, then.

McKeyFan
11-30-2012, 07:18 AM
Ok, well, I guess we should just give away every player of any value for free anytime they don't wanna be a Pacer anymore. No reason we should hold them to their contracts at all, then.

I agree with this (the point you are making through satire). But I also believe DC was traded primarily because he's not that good. Him possibly being disgruntled may have been a secondary factor, but not the main reason. So your concern is valid, but not relevant in this case, imo.

Lurkster
11-30-2012, 09:53 PM

Admin - no call for that response at all.