PDA

View Full Version : Zach Lowe credits Danny Granger

Hicks
11-21-2012, 04:19 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8659906/danny-granger-monta-ellis-jordan-crawford-nba-all-chuckers-squad

Nuntius
11-21-2012, 04:51 PM
That's a pretty nice article. Thanks for sharing :)

The parts about Monta and Danny are particularly interesting ;)

Heisenberg
11-21-2012, 04:56 PM
seriously man, change your avatar. SJax as the Joker is sort of terrifying.

Hicks
11-21-2012, 05:27 PM
seriously man, change your avatar. SJax as the Joker is sort of terrifying.

He makes love to chaos.

rexnom
11-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Just brilliant. Insane that Danny wasn't an all-star last year.

wintermute
11-21-2012, 07:05 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8659906/danny-granger-monta-ellis-jordan-crawford-nba-all-chuckers-squad

I've just been thinking something along these lines. The current Pacer squad seems a bit too nice, a little too unselfish on offense this year - we're really lacking someone with a scorer's mentality (which I guess is a nice way of saying "chucker") to add some unpredictability. As a stat geek, I generally dislike high volume low efficiency guys like Monta, so this article really does change my thinking a bit. Danny at least scores on decent efficiency, thanks to his hitting 3's and FT's at a good clip, despite sometimes questionable shot selection.

Just brilliant. Insane that Danny wasn't an all-star last year.

That's not what Lowe is saying though. He basically called Danny a chucker, with the caveat that guys like that may actually be vital ingredients in a successful offense. As he puts it, "there is value in simply having guys who can create shot attempts even if a few of those attempts each night are blatantly bad." It's a skill that not everyone has though, e.g. Paul George and Roy Hibbert trying to be volume scorers is just killing their efficiency.

And as Lowe also points out, context matters. Take away Amare from the Knicks (who have several other shot-happy players), and it's addition by subtraction. Take away Granger from the Pacers (where no one else approaches his usage% numbers), and it's a disaster.

aamcguy
11-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Granger and Pau are the only guys in that list that aren't terrible defenders, and Pau doesn't really fit the bill completely.

Nuntius
11-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Granger and Pau are the only guys in that list that aren't terrible defenders, and Pau doesn't really fit the bill completely.

He said himself that Pau doesn't fit the bill at all but he just used him as an example of a player that the fans hate.

aamcguy
11-21-2012, 08:40 PM
He said himself that Pau doesn't fit the bill at all but he just used him as an example of a player that the fans hate.

Yeah, I caught that. I was more trying to say that while Granger clearly fits in as one of the "chuckers," he really is different than everybody else on that list. Depending on who was on your team, the only people I would consider picking for my team over Granger would be Jefferson or Monta Ellis. He's a good defender and fills a role that nobody else on the list can really offer.