PDA

View Full Version : (Wells) Walsh frustrated at slow start, but remains patient

Heisenberg
11-20-2012, 05:37 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20121120/SPORTS04/211210306

Donnie Walsh returned for his second stint as president of the Indiana Pacers last summer thinking he would be running a team that was picking up where it left off last season.

That hasn't been the case, largely because of the absence of Danny Granger. The Pacers are 5-7 heading into Tuesday night's game against New Orleans at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

The slow start hasn't caused Walsh to panic and make a hasty roster move.

That's not his style.

Walsh knows the Pacers can't replace Granger's points without a significant trade, and they're not in the position to make a move like that.

"The guys people are talking about at the level of a Danny Granger, that's a major trade," Walsh said. "How are you going to get those players?"

The Pacers have looked at free agents, too, but they can't find anyone to replace Granger's production on the outside.

Walsh is frustrated at how the Pacers have lost some of their games this season, but he's remaining patient. The Pacers have lost four games in the final 30 seconds of regulation this season.

"You never like that, but what we have to do is focus," Walsh said. "It's very early in the season. I knew we were going to be playing a lot of games on the road early and then we had the Danny situation, too.

"We're developing a playing style we can win at. If we lose that game, I'm going to feel good about it, still, because we're going in the right direction."

Walsh, who made his first road trip of the season to New York and Washington earlier this week, said he feels good about the team despite its current position.

He believes coach Frank Vogel having tinkered with the offense last week will help everybody, especially center Roy Hibbert.

The Pacers have been solid defensively all season, leading the league in field goal percentage defense at 39.9 percent.

Their offense has been a different story.

The Pacers are 28th in the league in field goal percentage at 41 percent. David West and Lance Stephenson are the only players who average more than 23 minutes a game and are shooting better than 45 percent from the field.

Walsh noted that West has been the team's only consistent shooter.

"Other guys will get into it, too, it's just going to take a little time," Walsh said. "At least I see a style developing that I think we can be successful at."

The Pacers are hopeful that Hibbert has gotten out of his offensive funk after scoring 20 points on 8-of-10 shooting in Monday's victory over Washington.

Hibbert is shooting 40.7 percent from the field this season.

Asked whether Hibbert is pressing to live up to his new $58-million contract, Walsh said, "I never approached it from that standpoint. We made the decision to keep him. . . . I think that he's struggling. I don't think it has anything do with the contract.

"I do think this new style (on offense) will help, because when you walk the ball up the court and keep the ball on that same side of the court, it makes it easy to guard him. I feel like we're collectively getting better."

CableKC
11-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Walsh has little choice but to remain patient. But irregardless, he doesn't seem like the type to make a panic move....just for the sake of making a panic move.

vnzla81
11-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Anytime I read or see a Walsh interview I feel like I want to throw up.

LetsTalkPacers84
11-20-2012, 06:31 PM
KP seems like the panic type though. Just my opinion though.

gummy
11-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Incredibly predictable. Many of us could have written Walsh's comments in our sleep.

Eleazar
11-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Walsh has little choice but to remain patient. But irregardless, he doesn't seem like the type to make a panic move....just for the sake of making a panic move.

Which is a good thing because you rarely make good decisions when you panic.

Pacerized
11-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Since he already made moves just for the sake of making moves this summer, I'd hope he doesn't do so again. We didn't need to change our backup pg, nor did we need Green. If we didn't make moves that we didn't need to make we might have landed a better big man then Ian.
I really don't want Walsh to make any trades because I don't trust him and the last thing I want is more cap space for Walsh and Pritchard to have available next year for the same reason.
I knew I'd miss Bird but not this much.

Bball
11-21-2012, 02:35 AM

Oh... Walsh will make a panic move. Don't ever think he won't. He'll let a situation fester and fester, rot, spoil, and smell. He will be patient. Too patient. Much too patient. Then, once the situation reaches a point he can't ignore it any longer (and once he's lost all leverage), then he'll make a panic move.

clownskull
11-21-2012, 02:39 AM
Oh... Walsh will make a panic move. Don't ever think he won't. He'll let a situation fester and fester, rot, spoil, and smell. He will be patient. Too patient. Much too patient. Then, once the situation reaches a point he can't ignore it any longer (and once he's lost all leverage), then he'll make a panic move.

LOL
yeah- i think you are right.

Major Cold
11-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Murphleavy....

Heisenberg
11-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Murphleavy....
Was perhaps the biggest back against the wall trade in NBA history. I'm far from a Walsh apologist but in no circumstance is the MurphLeavy deal a comparable deal.

Justin Tyme
11-21-2012, 11:37 AM
"The Pacers 5-7 heading into Tuesdays game against NO at BLF."

Tuesday?? Wells is having as much problem with games as the Pacers are.