PDA

View Full Version : It's not been good.... but it's not the entire picture

Kid Minneapolis
11-20-2012, 12:28 PM
So the general consensus this season is we're producing well below expectations. Bad offensive flow, low point production, sub-.500 win percentage.

But if you step outside offense............ this team is a real puzzle:

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/fieldGoalPctOpponent

First, we are #1 in the league defensively in opponent points per game and field goal percentage. Top defense in the league. I don't even feel like we're seeing this team's best defense out there right now. I mean, you all know what I'm talking about. If the playoffs started today, and Vogel said, "Alright guys, let's go out there and clamp these guys", you know what kind of defense we're talking about. We all know this team can ratchet it up SEVERAL notches, defensively, and as it stands right now, we're still leading the league. Not even really trying.

We're dead last in forced turnovers. We're also almost dead last in steals. That flies in the face of having a top defense. What that tells me is that our guys are staying home and not gambling. What this tells me is we're playing teams straight up and just not giving them easy shots. Which also leads into our next stat:

We lead the league in defensive rebounds. We are 2nd in total rebounds per game, and 3rd overall in differential.

Makes sense. We're playing good D, and letting the percentages take care of things. We're not cheating or cutting corners, we're just a really hard team to score against. I know it doesn't seem like it when we watch these games and we're down 15-20, but we're actually not letting teams score 120 on us. We're keeping them to 90/game... we're just not getting to 85 ourselves half the time.

I won't even go into offensive stats, because we don't need stats to confirm that we've been pretty abysmal offensively.

But if you can block off that part of your mind that regards our offense.............. and stand back, climb up the stairs a bit for a higher view and take it all in...... we're actually sort of dominating in almost every other category outside of offense. And ya, I know offense is a large part of the overall picture. But the point is --- we're not getting destroyed across the board. We're getting destroyed in *one* facet. Our other facets are actually really... really damn strong.

This gives me hope going deeper into the season. What this tells me is that, if we can develop some semblance of an offense over the coming weeks, and we continue to defend and rebound as we are, this team could be a real force down the stretch. I believe that we have 4-5 guys who are currently playing the worst offensive ball of their careers, and logic tells me that can't continue forever. They got into a funk, lost their groove, and I do believe they'll find it again. I've already seen adjustments and slight improvements in our offense over the past few games. Nothing earth-shattering, but if they can continue to make incremental improvements on offense, I think we'll be alright.

Naptown_Seth
11-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Kid Minny, I've been saying that after some of these bad losses. They are crushing teams on defense. Even the Knicks were wretched trying to score on Indy. It's just that the bad Pacers offense is hiding the massive defense.

Roy is the premiere example of this because for all his shooting issues he's been a very physical shot blocker. He's getting into people on a lot of blocks and getting away with knocking them around a little. But all we think about is his awful offense.

It's very possible that just adding Danny's shooting could be the 6-7 point difference that has them winning a lot more games. It doesn't feel that way because of how bad the offense looks at times, but the reality is that on many nights they give themselves plenty of chances to win games.

We do need to keep in mind the quality of offenses they've played. Spurs, Knicks, Hawks...okay. Mavs maybe, but without Dirk? But 4 games vs TOR and WSH can pad your stats.

I believe in the defense, but I am interested to see it against the likes of Miami, Boston, OKC and LAL.

Ace E.Anderson
11-20-2012, 02:09 PM
What I like is that the pacers defense is mostly designed to give up mid range J's. For the most part we do a pretty good job of shutting down the lane. Teams are going to score inside, this is the NBA we can't stop EVERY LAYUP. But you aren't 1st in the league in pts allowed, defensive fg% and defensive rebounds without being able to consistently guard the lane at a very high level. Most bigs this season have shot a below average percentage against the Pacers, including Tim Duncan.

As good and consistent as we've been, we can still be better. We ball watch off the ball, and are susceptible to quick ball movement (SA) and off the ball screens for shooters (ATL w/ Korver) or cutters (MIN and NYK). Hopefully our offense can manage to improve while our defense remains elite.

LetsTalkPacers84
11-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Roy said he wants DPOY badly

Pacergeek
11-20-2012, 06:19 PM
The entire picture is that we don't have anyone that can beat their man off the dribble and create their own shot. Management knew this over the off-season, and did nothing to correct this

LetsTalkPacers84
11-20-2012, 06:32 PM
I really believe they tried to.

BobbyMac
11-20-2012, 08:14 PM
just think we are only a few points from being 8-3. Just need to hit a few shots and we're doing well!