PDA

View Full Version : Point Guard Problem in Dallas?

MvPlumlee
11-20-2012, 12:10 PM
http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/11/20/point-guard-problem-in-dallas/

It looks like DC has come back to earth.

The promising start Darren Collison rode into the Big Apple on Nov. 9 is swerving amid a mess of poor decision making, poor shooting and perplexing turnovers. After Monday’s 105-101 overtime home loss to the Golden State Warriors in which Collison was terrible offensively (seven points on 2-for-11 shooting, five assists and five turnovers) and torched defensively by Stephen Curry (31 points, nine assists), his quickest move was exiting the locker room before the media was granted entrance for post game interviews.

I wonder if we could sign him as our backup next summer when he has realised he isn't a starting PG on a playoff team. :D

Phree Refill
11-20-2012, 12:25 PM
I'd trade Augustine to Dallas for Collison right now in a heart beat.

Ace E.Anderson
11-20-2012, 12:26 PM
I actually visited the Mavs fan forum earlier this morning and saw a few things that sounded familiar

http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38155

1. DC isn't good at running offense when pressured, lack of court vision, etc.
2. DC cant guard scoring PG's

Obviously he isn't as bad as he has been the last few games, but I don't think he was as good as he looked earlier in the season. If he could wrap his head around being a very good backup PG, I think he'd be great.

Kid Minneapolis
11-20-2012, 12:33 PM
He is what he is. A limited guard, who will have the occasional offensive outburst every 10-15 games.

MillerTime
11-20-2012, 12:48 PM
I would trade them Augustin and a protected first for Mayo

Naptown_Seth
11-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Change that to Hill and they'd listen.

Nobody wants Augustin right now. He's not playing well, not shooting well and if they really like him as part of a future plan they'll just wait till next summer to sign him. The only way you move him is to a team looking to move a contract for an expiring, which means taking on someone they no longer want to pay, typically a vet on a rebuild team or an overpaid player.

The way out of the DJ issue is to have him just start hitting 35% of his open 3s, that would go a long way in fixing the bench offense. Teams would sag less and the Pacers would be walking away with 3-9 extra points each night.

Anyway, so much for basing a complete trade evaluation on 5 games. I'm not against people looking at the early results, but just keep them in that context rather than going "oh all those things we didn't like about DC were totally BS, we'd totally take him back". This is how couples stay together after one of them cheats.

spreedom
11-20-2012, 01:10 PM
There's no chance the Mavs would even talk to the Pacers about an OJ Mayo deal unless Hibbert or PG24 was involved. And personally, I think Mayo probably has more trade value than George right now.

MillerTime
11-20-2012, 02:17 PM
I am so upset we didnt get Mayo....we were so close, twice.

wintermute
11-20-2012, 02:59 PM
There's no chance the Mavs would even talk to the Pacers about an OJ Mayo deal unless Hibbert or PG24 was involved. And personally, I think Mayo probably has more trade value than George right now.

Uh... right. Mayo is on a hot streak right now (for all of 12 games), but how is he different from how he was in Memphis? He's still the same player, except he happens to be shooting almost 60% from 3 right now. I remember Ben Gordon having a hot start a few seasons ago as well - until the law of averages caught up with him anyway.

Aside from his merits as a player, who would trade for Mayo knowing that he'll leave for the highest bidder next season anyway? Remember that Mavs don't have his Bird rights. Plus Mayo will have veto rights on any trade as a one-year FA. No way he will agree to leave Dallas where he is in a perfect position to put up numbers for his next contract.

LetsTalkPacers84
11-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Never a good idea to buy high and sell low people

xIndyFan
11-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Uh... right. Mayo is on a hot streak right now (for all of 12 games), but how is he different from how he was in Memphis? He's still the same player, except he happens to be shooting almost 60% from 3 right now. I remember Ben Gordon having a hot start a few seasons ago as well - until the law of averages caught up with him anyway.

I believe the current Pacer phrase is 'regress to the mean' instead of law of averages. :laugh: ;)

Trophy
11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
He's a very good backup, but simply cannot be trusted as "the guy" as a starting PG.

Miller_time04
11-20-2012, 07:38 PM
And everyone was freaking out at the start of the season wanting him back. I knew that wouldn't last. I know Dj hasn't been good but he will get better and if not we let him go after this year.