PDA

View Full Version : Cellar for Zeller

Pacergeek
11-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Even when Danny comes back, this team has zero chance to win a championship this year. Why waste an entire season? We need a superstar to take us to the next level. Cody could be that superstar

Hypnotiq
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
tank for wiggins

Derek2k3
11-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Haha, people calling Zeller a superstar.

This is Indiana, I suppose. Maybe DJ White is available?

shags
11-14-2012, 09:35 PM
If you need a superstar to take you to the next level, why do you want Cody Zeller?

Pacergeek
11-14-2012, 09:44 PM

Hahaha. So hilarious comparing Cody to DJ. Zeller has single handedly made IU relevant again. Quickly I might add. If he leads IU to a championship, or at least a final 4 this year, he will be drafted number one

Heisenberg
11-14-2012, 09:52 PM
Zeller's really good. He's not worth tanking for.

Miller_time04
11-14-2012, 10:00 PM
No one in this draft is worth tanking for.

PacersHomer
11-14-2012, 10:01 PM
Worst year to be terrible.

3rdStrike
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Zeller? lol

cdash
11-14-2012, 10:05 PM
Cellar for Zeller is really funny though.

beast23
11-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't care for what I'm seeing on the court... at all.

But tanking? Why don't you guys take the tanking crap and stick it where the sun don't don't shine.

You're either behind this team or you're not. If so, other than for playoff positioning in the last couple of late season games, you should want to see the Pacers win EVERY game out.

But tank? That idea is about as offensive as they come.

OlBlu
11-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Even when Danny comes back, this team has zero chance to win a championship this year. Why waste an entire season? We need a superstar to take us to the next level. Cody could be that superstar

He will never be a superstar. He will be a lifetime backup just like his brothers. The problem is wing span for his heighth. He may be 7 foot tall but some 6'8" forwards will have a bigger wing span. His hands are also small for a center.... He won't make a big splash in the NBA....:cool:

Pacer Fan
11-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Pass, much better players out there

Derek2k3
11-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Hahaha. So hilarious comparing Cody to DJ. Zeller has single handedly made IU relevant again. Quickly I might add. If he leads IU to a championship, or at least a final 4 this year, he will be drafted number one

Right. Watford and co had nothing to do with that.

MyFavMartin
11-14-2012, 10:47 PM
One Plumlee... Haha...

Two Plumlees... Haha...

Pacergeek
11-14-2012, 10:47 PM
He will never be a superstar. He will be a lifetime backup just like his brothers. The problem is wing span for his heighth. He may be 7 foot tall but some 6'8" forwards will have a bigger wing span. His hands are also small for a center.... He won't make a big splash in the NBA....:cool:

Cody's leadership skills cannot be underestimated. He already has IU ranked number 1 in the nation. Two years ago I would have thought the idea as absurd, that IU could contend for a championship. Last season, Cody went toe-to-toe with eventual number 1 pick, Anthony Davis. Don't want to be rude, but I could give a rat's *** about his wingspan and how big his hands are. I'll take him and his ridiculous 65% FG

Pacergeek
11-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Right. Watford and co had nothing to do with that.

Watford and co are all second rounders to undrafted prospects. Zeller is the best guy by a mile. Take Cody off IU, and they barely make the NIT

Trader Joe
11-14-2012, 11:10 PM
Zeller will be a good NBA player, I don't doubt that. My question is just how good though? I don't think he's worth shooting for though. He's a start IMO. I see him plateauing around 15 and 8. Being a good 3rd banana or a really good 4 banana for some team.

Trader Joe
11-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Watford and co are all second rounders to undrafted prospects. Zeller is the best guy by a mile. Take Cody off IU, and they barely make the NIT

Maybe last year, not this year.

Dr. Awesome
11-14-2012, 11:12 PM

Tyler Hansbrough had one of the most decorated college careers of all time.

College skills don't always translate to the NBA. Don't get me wrong. Zeller will be a pretty good player...definitely not a superstar.

Dr. Awesome
11-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Honestly, I don't think there is anyone worth tanking for in this draft...though the season is early.

Trader Joe
11-14-2012, 11:15 PM

College skills don't always translate to the NBA. Don't get me wrong. Zeller will be a pretty good player...definitely not a superstar.

Pretty much what I think. Maybe a one time all star in the right situation. He would thrive on a high tempo team. It'd actually be a lot of fun if the Hornets got him in the draft. He and Anthony Davis could do some damage and both are multi skilled big man. But Cody is not a franchise savior.

Now future Hoosier Noah Vonleh on the other hand....

Eleazar
11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Maybe it is just me, but Zellar still looks too skinny to be an effective post player in the NBA at this point. Obviously that can change, but I am not sold on him in the NBA yet.

Ransom
11-15-2012, 12:33 AM
The worst record in the league has a 1 in 4 shot of getting that number one pick. That's horrible odds. Even if you had a player worth tanking for, why throw your team's progress out the window for the chance to likely be disappointed?

tomkat1971
11-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Yeah, and even the third team from the bottom is pretty darn terrible. I think Cody will do good in the pros particularly if he goes to the right team. I'm not a big NBA fan.

imbtyler
11-15-2012, 01:11 AM
OH HELL YEH! We should TOTALLY tank for Zeller, he's totally going to pan out to be a superstar a la Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Durant, CP3, etc. Instant offense, instant leadership, instant Hoosier recognition (thus tickets sold). I mean, look at Charlotte! Worst record in the league last year, now they're killing the league with Anthony Davis! Greatest idea ever, I can't believe I didn't think of it sooner.

The Indiana Pacers will never win a draft lottery, tanking or not, worst record or not, trading their best player(s) for **** or not, as long as David Stern is still running the draft (which means, up until next year).

However, what makes you think Zeller isn't going to stick around IU, especially if they don't win the championship? Then we'll have tanked for no reason. Zeller already stayed one year, maybe he's one of those idiots who stays to get his degree, only to get drafted, not show up mentally, and disappoint most people who support him despite his "championship experience" and "hustle" and "beast mode" nature (Hansbro).

Maybe in 2-3 years (when we still haven't won a championship, when Cody finally graduates, and when David Stern is no longer in office), we can trade all our best players (Granger, PG, Hibbert, Hill, whoever is "best" then) to the Lakers or Heat or Celtics or something awesome, for some really bad draft picks. Then we can fail the rest of the season so our draft pick skies. When we maybe, possibly, finally win the draft lottery, we can rebuild this team (again), this time around your superstar Cody Zeller, and see how we do for the next 4-8 years.

Seriously, people, tanking is despicable. Why waste a whole season playing competitive basketball, completely losing the fanbase they worked so hard to gain, just to RISK getting a draft pick high enough to pick some Hoosier? One whose career would likely be overshadowed by the fact that the Pacers picked him with the #1 pick, and Detroit stole Shabazz Muhammad at #2, who ended up becoming the next prodigious incarnation of the "superstar" class. That would be our luck. Do you understand how this works now? Just play good basketball, trade for a decent pick, and let some other team **** up their own season to make us better.

Eddie Gill
11-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Meh..I'd let history be my guide and pass over Zeller and take the SG from UCLA, Shabazz Muhammed.

Eddie Gill
11-15-2012, 01:34 AM
tank for wiggins

Haha that kid is amazing though.

Steagles
11-15-2012, 05:39 AM
I'm willing to "Suck Azz for Shabazz"

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

Pacergeek
11-15-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm willing to "Suck Azz for Shabazz"

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk

You can have the knucklehead that got himself ruled ineligible. I'll take the humble guy who is leading the number 1 team right now

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 09:19 AM

It's fine to say Zeller may not make it, but neither of the reasons you give in this post are true. Zeller has a pretty good wing span and actually has great hands.

OlBlu
11-15-2012, 09:30 AM
It's fine to say Zeller may not make it, but neither of the reasons you give in this post are true. Zeller has a pretty good wing span and actually has great hands.

I am repeating what has been said about him on draft boards. I didn't say he had bad hands, I said they were small for a big man. His brothers have shared this problem and they either didn't make in in the NBA or they are going to be backups. So will Cody..... Hell, I wouldn't draft him just because he showed the poor judgement of joining the crooks and cheaters at IU.....:cool:

Steagles
11-15-2012, 09:35 AM
You can have the knucklehead that got himself ruled ineligible. I'll take the humble guy who is leading the number 1 team right now

I'll take Zeller's mindset over Muhammed's, but Zeller is just another great college player with a limited NBA future. Shabazz has the talent to be a superstar very quickly, like a Durant. I'm willing to take the chance on the head case. I mean, we got Lance to grow up.

Pacergeek
11-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Hansbrough was great in college, and made a name for himself with his heart and determination. Wasn't known for his athleticism. Cody is a fundamentally sound, efficient player. More technical than Hansbrough. More polished. Not sure why you were comparing these 2.

PacersHomer
11-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Zeller obviously isn't going to stay because IU is oversigned by 3 players right now. He has to go pro.

Heisenberg
11-15-2012, 10:03 AM
Zeller obviously isn't going to stay because IU is oversigned by 3 players right now. He has to go pro.

No he doesn't. He just has to pay his own way. Or Crean'll work something else out. If Zeller wants to stay Zeller gets to stay.

PacersHomer
11-15-2012, 10:04 AM
No he doesn't. He just has to pay his own way. Or Crean'll work something else out. If Zeller wants to stay Zeller gets to stay.

Well Crean wouldn't have a problem with cutting scholarship players I know. Zeller is gone though. It's rare to see players pass up top 3 picks.

Heisenberg
11-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Well Crean wouldn't have a problem with cutting scholarship players I know. Zeller is gone though. It's rare to see players pass up top 3 picks.

Oh I agree he's gone, Crean wouldn't be this oversigned if Zeller hadn't told him he was leaving, in my opinion obviously. Just saying he doesn't HAVE to go anywhere.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 10:18 AM
I am repeating what has been said about him on draft boards. I didn't say he had bad hands, I said they were small for a big man. His brothers have shared this problem and they either didn't make in in the NBA or they are going to be backups. So will Cody..... Hell, I wouldn't draft him just because he showed the poor judgement of joining the crooks and cheaters at IU.....:cool:

His one brother is about 10 games into his NBA career, and his oldest brother was always the worst of the 3. Cody has always been regarded as the best, since he was about 14. Small hands? No, not really.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 10:20 AM
I'll take Zeller's mindset over Muhammed's, but Zeller is just another great college player with a limited NBA future. Shabazz has the talent to be a superstar very quickly, like a Durant. I'm willing to take the chance on the head case. I mean, we got Lance to grow up.

Have you ever actually seen Shabazz play? I am just asking because the guy may never even put on a UCLA uniform.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 10:20 AM
Hansbrough was great in college, and made a name for himself with his heart and determination. Wasn't known for his athleticism. Cody is a fundamentally sound, efficient player. More technical than Hansbrough. More polished. Not sure why you were comparing these 2.

Agreed, Cody may never be a superstar, but his game is nothing like Tyler's.

PacersHomer
11-15-2012, 10:31 AM
I've seen Cody play enough to know he'll be a good pro, but not one worth tanking for. If we end up with the #1 pick I'd rather take the risk on Shabazz. Also I doubt he misses more than 15 games. JMO.

Steagles
11-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Have you ever actually seen Shabazz play? I am just asking because the guy may never even put on a UCLA uniform.

Yes, I've seen his highlight videos and he reminds me of like a Rose/Westbrook type hybrid. The fact that he may never play for UCLA would be fantastic for the Pacers. Assuming we sneak into the lottery or have a pick just out of the lottery, being a straight from HS player he could slip to us. This league is a business, and no superstars are coming to town anytime soon. We have to take the chance and try to create our own.

Pacergeek
11-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
You've seen his highlight videos...OK. I've seen Gerald Green's highlight videos and he looks like a new age cross between Reggie Miller and Julius Erving. Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying if Shabazz doesn't play a single minute for UCLA it's going to be pretty tough for me to get excited. I did not watch any of his full games in HS because he was never really on IU's radar. So I can't really comment on him or get excited, I have seen the highlight videos, but they are jsut that...highlight videos.

PacersHomer
11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
You've seen his highlight videos...OK. I've seen Gerald Green's highlight videos and he looks like a new age cross between Reggie Miller and Julius Erving. Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just saying if Shabazz doesn't play a single minute for UCLA it's going to be pretty tough for me to get excited. I did not watch any of his full games in HS because he was never really on IU's radar. So I can't really comment on him or get excited, I have seen the highlight videos, but they are jsut that...highlight videos.

To be fair Green is a mediocre free agent and Shabazz is the #1 recruit in the nation. I haven't seen him play but I probably will later this year with UCLA.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 10:40 AM
To be fair Green is a mediocre free agent and Shabazz is the #1 recruit in the nation. I haven't seen him play but I probably will later this year with UCLA.

Do you remember where Gerald Green was ranked coming out of high school? I'll give you a hint, he was the number 1 rated recruit in the entire nation.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-768

Steagles
11-15-2012, 10:41 AM

That's true, they are just highlights. Like I said though, we have to start taking chances on guys that could potentially be great. He was a very highly coveted college recruit, so you can at least assume he had the talent to be good at UCLA. He has all kinds of talent, and I definitely think the Pacers should try and draft him, because I'm not the only one who thinks he can be a star. Many scouts and writers compare him to Harden, which is a fairly accurate comparison. We have to take a chance and try to make a star sometime if we are planning on getting to the ECF, let alone the NBA Finals.

PacersHomer
11-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Do you remember where Gerald Green was ranked coming out of high school? I'll give you a hint, he was the number 1 rated recruit in the entire nation.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-768

Can't trust that ranking when the greatest basketball player of all-time is all the way down at #18.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Can't trust that ranking when the greatest basketball player of all-time is all the way down at #18.

That cracked me up too, but Rivals is pretty much the best recruiting service in the country and is the same recruiting service that has Shabazz at number 1. http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2012

PacersHomer
11-15-2012, 10:46 AM
That cracked me up too, but Rivals is pretty much the best recruiting service in the country and is the same recruiting service that has Shabazz at number 1. http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2012

Oh yeah Rivals is usually pretty good for basketball. I prefer 247 for football, but Rivals is definitely better than ESPN for both IMO.

Heisenberg
11-15-2012, 10:47 AM
8 current/former Pacers in the top 100 of that 2005 Rivals 150. That's pretty crazy really. What an awesome recruiting class.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 10:51 AM
8 current/former Pacers in the top 100 of that 2005 Rivals 150. That's pretty crazy really. What an awesome recruiting class.

2004 is super crazy.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-rivals150/2004

Dwight, Josh Smith, Al Jefferson, Rudy Gay, heck Shaun Livingston could have been great if not for his knee. Lamarcus Aldridge, Glen Davis, Marvin Williams, Rajon Rondo, Aaron Afflalo, Kyle Lowry, and that's just the guys in the top 30 of that class.

Steagles
11-15-2012, 10:56 AM
By that account, one man's failure to live up to the hype doesn't make Shabazz a bust. Gerald didn't work hard in the NBA... that was his initial problem.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 11:01 AM
By that account, one man's failure to live up to the hype doesn't make Shabazz a bust. Gerald didn't work hard in the NBA... that was his initial problem.

no, but it's a cautionary tale. I'm just saying if we get the number 1 pick in next year's draft (God are we really having to talk about this?) Shabazz won't be first on my list, honestly neither will Cody, I'm not sure who will be number 1 right now on my list this spring honestly.

Steagles
11-15-2012, 11:09 AM
no, but it's a cautionary tale. I'm just saying if we get the number 1 pick in next year's draft (God are we really having to talk about this?) Shabazz won't be first on my list, honestly neither will Cody, I'm not sure who will be number 1 right now on my list this spring honestly.

No, not with the number one pick (David Stern will never give us) we'll never get. I'm talking like late lottery or just outside. Since he may not have a collegiate career, I have a feeling he'll slip.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
No, not with the number one pick (David Stern will never give us) we'll never get. I'm talking like late lottery or just outside. Since he may not have a collegiate career, I have a feeling he'll slip.

I agree with that, if he doesn't play this year, I think he slips at least to the 10ish range.

PacersHomer
11-15-2012, 11:22 AM
I agree with that, if he doesn't play this year, I think he slips at least to the 10ish range.

I don't know. Enes Kanter still went #3. Muhammad would still be a top 5 pick IMO.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't know. Enes Kanter still went #3. Muhammad would still be a top 5 pick IMO.

Enes Kanter is 7 feet tall.

cdash
11-15-2012, 12:06 PM

No, Gerald is a stupid basketball player. That was his initial and current problem.

cdash
11-15-2012, 12:07 PM
For what it's worth, if Shabazz doesn't play a single minute of college ball this season, he's still a top 5 pick at worst, and likely top 3. Chad Ford had a question about this very topic yesterday.

cdash
11-15-2012, 12:11 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog/_/name/nba_draft/id/8634837/ranking-top-freshmen-america-nba-draft

Shabazz Muhammad, F, UCLA
Top 100 Rank: 3

On Friday the NCAA ruled that Muhammad was ineligible for the start of UCLA's season. Whether that ban continues all season is anyone's guess. Even if Muhammad doesn't play one game all season, every NBA scout I spoke with still believes he's a top-3 pick. He's got a terrific motor, is a great scorer and is versatile.

In fact, if Noel doesn't improve, I wouldn't be shocked to see Muhammad go No. 1. Plenty of scouts have concerns about Cody Zeller's long-term upside in the NBA. They may feel Muhammad has more sizzle. At this point, I'm not sure it behooves Muhammad to play for UCLA. His draft stock may be better off sitting the season out.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 12:20 PM
We'll see, but I think he slips at least out of the top 5 like Brandon Jennings did from playing overseas.

Goyle
11-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Haven't followed Shabazz much, but I know he's clearly the best prospect in this draft. Are there any legit reports of him being a headcase or we just assuming so because he got caught?

Heisenberg
11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
He's not a headcase. He got visits to UNC and Duke paid for. That's his only knock, far as I know anyway. And in terms of NBA stock I couldn't care less about it.

pacer4ever
11-15-2012, 12:38 PM

No way he slips past 3. The scouts have watched him play for years and know his game. If I was him I would just say FU to the NCAa and high an agent and trainer now and get ready for the NBA. The NCAA is a joke the ruling is beyond bad. I surprised more kids don't just hire trainers and work on their game. With the Addais and Nike camps today Scouts see them play all the time now.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 12:40 PM
No way he slips past 3. The scouts have watched him play for years and know his game. If I was him I would just say FU to the NCAa and high an agent and trainer now and get ready for the NBA. The NCAA is a joke the ruling is beyond bad. I surprised more kids don't just hire trainers and work on their game. With the Addais and Nike camps today Scouts see them play all the time now.

More kids don't do it exactly because of what happened to Jennings.

Heisenberg
11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
In regards to tanking and whatnot, we may not even have to. We currently have the 7th pick. I do expect us to get better (have to right?), but I'm just saying.

Also, the Lakers would have the 8th pick. So, yeah.

pacer4ever
11-15-2012, 12:45 PM
More kids don't do it exactly because of what happened to Jennings.

Jennings played games I wouldn't advise that. Just hire a trainer and work 8 hrs a day to get better. Jennings slipped just as much for his backround and really a undersized pg who had a terrible feel for the game and a terrible descion maker. Bazz is a much better prospect than Jennings it really isn't a good comparsions IMO.

Mackey_Rose
11-15-2012, 01:05 PM
I'd rather the Pacers have Yogi than Zeller.

Rogco
11-15-2012, 01:08 PM

To be fair to Hans, he's been one of our best players this year.

Mackey_Rose
11-15-2012, 01:12 PM

Your 2012-2013 Indiana Pacers.

Trader Joe
11-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Your 2012-2013 Indiana Pacers.

Where is the light yourself on fire emoticon?

funnyguy1105
11-15-2012, 01:22 PM

I also don't think Hans is playing much better (except maybe his defense) than last year. He's basically the same and everyone else is worse... Not a good trend.

Pacergeek
11-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't want Bazz. I'm sure he is an outstanding athlete and that oozes with potential. Give me the proven winner and leader. Give me the guy that more than held his own against the "can't miss" prospect Anthony Davis. Zeller > Bazz

Goyle
11-15-2012, 01:33 PM
I don't want Bazz. I'm sure he is an outstanding athlete and that oozes with potential. Give me the proven winner and leader. Give me the guy that more than held his own against the "can't miss" prospect Anthony Davis. Zeller > Bazz

Getting "the winner" got us Tyler. I don't think we'll end up being bad enough to get either of them but if the opportunity arises, the pick needs to be Shabazz. How much better would we be if we had Jrue here?

MillerTime
11-15-2012, 02:14 PM
9 games in and we're talking about tanking already....WTF

OlBlu
11-15-2012, 02:16 PM

People in Indy like to tank. They think that is the way to build a winner.....:cool:

Major Cold
11-15-2012, 02:54 PM
This will be a good draft from 5-20. The top 5 will be slightly better than the rest. There is not a Lebron, Durant, Rose, or even a John Wall. But there are some all-stars in this draft. PLease don't equate weak draft for useless players.

PacersandIU
11-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Can we just call a duck and duck?

The reason so many of us don't want Zeller is because he's a tall, white, American college star, and based on history and past experiences, there's nothing wrong with that. ;)

Hypnotiq
11-15-2012, 04:51 PM
People in Indy like to tank. They think that is the way to build a winner.....:cool:

The colts seem in an envious postion atm with Luck so it does work

OlBlu
11-15-2012, 04:56 PM

That remains to be seen. So far, so good, certainly...... On the other hand where would they be this year if they had kept Peyton and taken a boat load of picks for the number one and surrounded Peyton with those players? We will never know that but he is playing well enough for Denver to be in the running for yet another MVP award and perhaps another Super Bowl opportunity....:cool:

Kstat
11-15-2012, 05:18 PM

The colts didn't have to win a lottery to get him...

vnzla81
11-15-2012, 05:30 PM
The colts didn't have to win a lottery to get him...

Well you don't win if you don't try...

PUNKJER0916
11-15-2012, 08:04 PM
I think Nerlens Noel will be te number one pick but I would rather have Zeller.

doctor-h
11-16-2012, 11:19 AM

Cody Zeller will never be anything more than a role player in the NBA. We don't need another role player, we need a star. All this talk of him being the #1 pick is garbage.

OlBlu
11-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Cody Zeller will never be anything more than a role player in the NBA. We don't need another role player, we need a star. All this talk of him being the #1 pick is garbage.

If he came to Indiana, it would be as a backup to Hibbert........:cool:

Really?
11-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Give me Isaiah Austin over Zeller, I am really not a fan of Zeller, but who knows maybe he will surprise.

Pacergeek
11-16-2012, 04:14 PM
If he came to Indiana, it would be as a backup to Hibbert........:cool:

Cody better than Roy in everything except shot blocking. I think Cody projects as a PF

Eleazar
11-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Cody better than Roy in everything except shot blocking. I think Cody projects as a PF

It would be interesting to see those two play next to each other.

Kstat
11-16-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm going to give Cody more than one season before I start capping off his potential....

Brad daugherty couldn't jump for a phone book and was still a #1 pick and multiple time all star center.

tomkat1971
11-17-2012, 12:09 AM
You have a good point. Muhammed may be the second coming of Michael Jordan but until I see him play some games against some quality players I'm not buying it. I've heard that talk about many who have not panned out.

Dr. Awesome
11-17-2012, 12:42 AM

I didn't compare their games at all. Not sure where you are seeing this.

I was commenting on how someone said he took Indiana and made them a great program again. My point was that, a great college player doesn't necessarily translate to the NBA. I still view Zeller as a weak player. Look at all the guys who have come to the NBA and been that skinny - players like Ed Davis, Brandon Wright, Anthony Randolph - all lotto picks based on talent, but couldn't do anything because they are simply too weak to play in the NBA.

Zeller is talented and will find a way to be effective - but he will never be worthy of a #1 pick, much less a superstar.

Derek2k3
11-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Shabazz was reinstated today, BTW.

ilive4sports
11-17-2012, 01:37 AM
not just tanking. Tanking for Zeller........

Dgreenwell3
11-17-2012, 11:03 AM

I played against and know all 3 zeller brothers. You are full of crap, he will find a way to succeed hell his brother (oldest Luke) is on the suns now

OlBlu
11-17-2012, 11:35 AM
I played against and know all 3 zeller brothers. You are full of crap, he will find a way to succeed hell his brother (oldest Luke) is on the suns now

Oh, he will succeed in being a life time back up center and the Pacers will know better than to draft him just like they didn't draft Alford or any of the other IU "stars".....:cool:

BlueCollarColts
11-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Oh, he will succeed in being a life time back up center and the Pacers will know better than to draft him just like they didn't draft Alford or any of the other IU "stars".....:cool:
Ol'blue apparently knows more than NBA draft experts........

cdash
11-17-2012, 11:40 AM
not just tanking. Tanking for Zeller........

It's better than tanking for Tim Frazier :laugh:

OlBlu
11-17-2012, 11:47 AM
Ol'blue apparently knows more than NBA draft experts........

No, most NBA draft experts agree with me but go ahead and draft him number one. It will set your team back a decade....:cool:

Dgreenwell3
11-17-2012, 11:58 AM

Ummm I didn't say the pacers should draft him and he's a 4 not a 5

cdash
11-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Ummm I didn't say the pacers should draft him and he's a 4 not a 5

Zeller is a 5. All the way.

Naptown_Seth
11-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Well you don't win if you don't try...
Most ironic post in this thread.

Go ahead and don't try to win, tank away....and give me my freaking ticket money back. Not to mention the tons of studies and analysis that dispute the technique of tanking as being any more reliable than just smart team construction. Plenty of teams drafted ahead of the Pacers year after year and still finished behind them last season. But I guess we ignore the plan when it fails (all the time). #Wizards #Bobcats #Warriors #Kings #Bucks #Cavs #Clippers, and so on.

clownskull
11-17-2012, 01:33 PM

i agree with this.
i don't really see cody as a full-time 5. more of a hybrid pf/c
he is not as good a defensive player as he could be at this time but, his quickness and ability around the hoop tells me he can make things happen.
and as i saw some comparisons to him and hansbrough, tyler is about 6'8 and 1/2. cody is much taller- a legit 6'11 to 7 ft. that and the fact their styles of play are different tell me they are different players and those differences are in cody's favor. you can't teach height.
is cody a #1 pick?
i am not convinced he is but he is a 1# round lottery pick for certain. and as to whether he comes back for a junior run? just because the athletic scholarships are taken up doesn't mean he couldn't pay his own way and i think he could qualify on academics alone. they still have academic scholarships out there and all that to defer costs..
does he come back? hell, i have no idea. but if he wants to- i wouldn't complain.

Pacergeek
11-17-2012, 02:13 PM
i agree with this.
i don't really see cody as a full-time 5. more of a hybrid pf/c
he is not as good a defensive player as he could be at this time but, his quickness and ability around the hoop tells me he can make things happen.
and as i saw some comparisons to him and hansbrough, tyler is about 6'8 and 1/2. cody is much taller- a legit 6'11 to 7 ft. that and the fact their styles of play are different tell me they are different players and those differences are in cody's favor. you can't teach height.
is cody a #1 pick?
i am not convinced he is but he is a 1# lottery pick for certain. and as to whether he comes back for a junior run? just because the athletic scholarships are taken up doesn't mean he couldn't pay his own way and i think he could qualify on academics alone. they still have academic scholarships out there and all that to defer costs..
does he come back? hell, i have no idea. but if he wants to- i wouldn't complain.

as an IU fan, I sure hope he plays all 4 years. However, unless there is a serious injury, there is a 0% chance Cody comes back for his Junior year. I think its respectable that he even came back for his sophomore season.

Pacergeek
11-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Zeller is a 5. All the way.

He probably does now that I think about it. The NBA has moved away from the traditional, big lumbering centers.

Kstat
11-17-2012, 02:43 PM
I do wonder what would happen if the pistons landed the 2nd pick and shabazz went #1.

Im guessing they would try to trade it.

Trader Joe
11-17-2012, 04:37 PM
No, most NBA draft experts agree with me but go ahead and draft him number one. It will set your team back a decade....:cool:

OlBlu said the same thing about a certain current Colts QB. Guess we have to draft Zeller now.

OlBlu
11-17-2012, 04:50 PM
OlBlu said the same thing about a certain current Colts QB. Guess we have to draft Zeller now.

Go ahead, you will regret it......:cool:

TheHoosierDude
11-17-2012, 05:26 PM

Every mock I've seen has Zeller going 1-3. The Pacers won't be in that spot regardless, but your choice to ignore the talent level of Luck and now Zellers is clearly based on a biased opinion, not anything that a majority of experts are saying.

Here's a good article comparing Luck and Zeller:
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/58669/crean-says-luck-and-zeller-are-similar

Now some 2013 mock drafts:
http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft

http://espn.go.com/nba/draft

http://walterfootball.com/nbadraft2013mock.php

Trader Joe
11-17-2012, 05:35 PM
Just FYI Shabazz will be reinstated by the NCAA and eligible for Tuesday's game against IU it looks like.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/story/_/id/8640531/shabazz-muhammad-ucla-bruins-reinstated-ncaa

"UCLA acknowledged amateurism violations occurred and asked the NCAA on Friday afternoon to reinstate Muhammad," the NCAA said in a statement. "The university required the student-athlete to miss 10 percent of the season (three games) and repay approximately $1,600 in impermissible benefits."NCAA student-athlete reinstatement guidelines say that when the value of benefits are greater than $1,000, the punishment is "withholding of 30 percent of eligibility for one season of competition and repayment." Thirty percent of a college basketball season is considered nine games.
Muhammad received the suspension penalty normally associated with benefits ranging between $500 and $700, yet still has to repay "approximately $1,600."
When asked by ESPN about the discrepancy, NCAA spokesperson Stacey Osbourn replied, "We don't have anything to share beyond the statement at this point."

I mean good God they are breaking their own rules.

ilive4sports
11-17-2012, 07:29 PM
It's better than tanking for Tim Frazier :laugh:
hey now, Tim Frazier is a damn good player!

but yeah i wouldn't tank for him, hell i don't think i'd spend a second round pick on him. Too small. Rather sign Talor Battle if we are looking for a PSU guard.

Heisenberg
11-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Just FYI Shabazz will be reinstated by the NCAA and eligible for Tuesday's game against IU it looks like.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncb/story/_/id/8640531/shabazz-muhammad-ucla-bruins-reinstated-ncaa

I mean good God they are breaking their own rules.

This would be HILARIOUS if it weren't them screwing with kids' careers.

I mean seriously, think about what that statement means. The rules are so dumb the people that create them can't even follow them. I wish the Big 6 conferences would just say screw you NCAA, don't need you (cuz they don't). We're gone.

Trader Joe
11-17-2012, 07:39 PM
This would be HILARIOUS if it weren't them screwing with kids' careers.

I mean seriously, think about what that statement means. The rules are so dumb the people that create them can't even follow them. I wish the Big 6 conferences would just say screw you NCAA, don't need you (cuz they don't). We're gone.

I obviously agree with you espeiclaly since Perea and Jurkin are having to sit out 9 games each for receiving money to get to America. That they were even able to provide documentation for. Come on NCAA don't bend the rules just cause he's the number 1 player in the country, but I agree the rules are so contradictory it is insane.

clownskull
11-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I obviously agree with you espeiclaly since Perea and Jurkin are having to sit out 9 games each for receiving money to get to America. That they were even able to provide documentation for. Come on NCAA don't bend the rules just cause he's the number 1 player in the country, but I agree the rules are so contradictory it is insane.

it seems like there is no consistency at all with how the situations are handled.

pacers74
11-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Please lock this stupid thread.

OlBlu
11-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Please lock this stupid thread.

They apparently closed the Colts forum..... Just as well....:cool:

mitchbr
11-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Regarding the initial topic...10 games in and we need to "Suck for Luck" to get Cody Zeller in the draft?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FZvT9P0t_ts/UGhyTRfuh8I/AAAAAAAAFSg/xmFl88zmkKY/s400/ditka.jpg

Slick Pinkham
11-18-2012, 10:39 PM
This franchise is NOT run by quitting cowards

dal9
11-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Mehmet Okur.

cdash
11-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Mehmet Okur.

Is that your Zeller comp?

RLeWorm
11-21-2012, 02:18 AM

lol right? Tank to try to select Zeller with the #1 pick? Lol crazy, more like tank next season so we can get Andrew Wiggins. He is going to be legendary

presto123
11-21-2012, 03:14 AM
lol right? Tank to try to select Zeller with the #1 pick? Lol crazy, more like tank next season so we can get Andrew Wiggins. He is going to be legendary

Yeah but "Suck For Wiggins" doesn't have any flow to it:)

Kstat
11-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Tank for Taylor?