PDA

View Full Version : Quit complaining

Unclebuck
05-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Now even J.O is whining about it.

I hate to use math to make my point by I will.

Pacers game #4 was Sunday. Pacers obviously swept the series.

Heat - Hornets (H-H) played game #3 on Saturday. They then played Tuesday, and then Friday. OK so that is two more days than what is normal. Although having two full days off especially when there is travel between games is pretty normal. But now there is only one day off between games 5 and 6 and games 6 and 7.

So my point is if the league would have moved the (H-H) series along as fast as possible, it still would have ended tomorrow, instead of Tuesday. So the Pacers v H would have started Tuesday instead of Thursday.

So all this complaining is because of two days. That is it 2 days

Pacers still would have been off 9 days now they are off 11 days.

There is a long layoff because the Pacers swept the first round.

So J.O and everyone else quit complaining over two days extra.

Edit: I also see J.O is suggesting the league go back to 5 game first round series. That would not solve the long layoff. Pacers game 3 was Friday. heat - Horbnets would have played game 5 last night, so Pacers would be starting maybe Sunday or Monday. That is still a at least a 9 day layoff. If you don't want a long layoff J.O then lose a game of two.

FireTheCoach
05-01-2004, 10:05 AM
Maybe the long layoff will be good for Ron and his left hand. He looked as though it was bothering him a little more in games 3 & 4.

grace
05-01-2004, 12:58 PM
I don't think JO would have been complaining as much if he'd been able to go to the Kentucky Derby today like he'd planned. Since Rick scheduled practice today he couldn't go. They're all probably going stir crazy. There's only so many movies to go see, only so long you can play video games with your kids before it starts to drive you nuts.

Anthem
05-01-2004, 02:19 PM
It almost makes you feel bad for the Heat... knowing that the Pacers are going to come out on absolutely all cylinders. Yeah, they'll be rusty, but I can't see it taking long to get back into the groove.

I honestly think we have a chance to sweep the second round as well.

Shade
05-01-2004, 02:43 PM
If you don't want a long layoff J.O then lose a game of two.

Tsk, tsk! :shakehead:

Kegboy
05-01-2004, 03:38 PM
No, the real problem is the NBA has gotten greedy. Back in the good old days of just a couple years ago, they'd run first round games on TBS and TNT simultaneously, which meant you didn't have these 3 and 4 day waits between games and 12 days between series. But the league realized that, in doing so, they were cutting their ratings in half. By only playing 2 games a night, they get their whole market share on one station, hence higher ratings and television revenue. But in doing so, the queue becomes longer to get on TV, hence the longer wait between games.

Tim
05-01-2004, 03:47 PM
This brings up a vision up Unclebuck driving the old family station wagon with the kids in the back seat constantly saying "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?".

Unclebuck
05-01-2004, 08:12 PM
This brings up a vision up Unclebuck driving the old family station wagon with the kids in the back seat constantly saying "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?".

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is too funny

dipperdunk
05-01-2004, 08:37 PM
Choice A- Play a tough 7 game series and suffer injuries.

Choice B- Sweep and have 10 days off to rest and heal.

I'll choose B. ;)

A couple of years ago the 76ers had to play 2 straight 7 game series and had Mckie,Snow and Lynch fracture bones in their feet.

Conversely, the Lakers swept all 3 western series and had 10 days off between the western conference finals and the finals.They were a little rusty in the 1st half of game one and lossed in OT but then they steam rolled the 76ers the next 4 when the 76ers players had nothing left in the tank.

Its quite realistic to think you can sweep Miami as well; while Detroit and NJ may battle for 7 games and suffer injuries. Rasheed is already banged up. Its definitely better to be home resting then going through a 7 game war and will be a huge advantage for the Pacers in the Eastern Conference Finals.

ChicagoJ
05-03-2004, 01:10 PM
Choice A- Play a tough 7 game series and suffer injuries.

Choice B- Sweep and have 10 days off to rest and heal.

I'll choose B. ;)

A couple of years ago the 76ers had to play 2 straight 7 game series and had Mckie,Snow and Lynch fracture bones in their feet.

Conversely, the Lakers swept all 3 western series and had 10 days off between the western conference finals and the finals.They were a little rusty in the 1st half of game one and lossed in OT but then they steam rolled the 76ers the next 4 when the 76ers players had nothing left in the tank.

Its quite realistic to think you can sweep Miami as well; while Detroit and NJ may battle for 7 games and suffer injuries. Rasheed is already banged up. Its definitely better to be home resting then going through a 7 game war and will be a huge advantage for the Pacers in the Eastern Conference Finals.

Dipper,

Remind us again about the long wait that the 1983 Sixers had while storming through the playoffs. As I recall, they got thumped by the Lakers in Game #1, but that just motivated them and they proceeded to totally dominate games #2 thru #5.

dipperdunk
05-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Dipper,

Remind us again about the long wait that the 1983 Sixers had while storming through the playoffs. As I recall, they got thumped by the Lakers in Game #1, but that just motivated them and they proceeded to totally dominate games #2 thru #5.

Hi Jay, if you remember back then the 2 division winners from each conference received a 1st round bye. And the 1st round was only a best of 3 series.

The 76ers actually swept the finals against the Lakers but dropped a game to Milwaukee in the conference finals.The Bucks had a very good team they had swept Bird's Celtics the series before.

There was only a 4 day layoff between series but as you know that was before the networks really had much authority. Today with the exorbitant amount of money they pay they pretty much control Stern and the schedule.

bulletproof
05-04-2004, 08:13 AM
No, the real problem is the NBA has gotten greedy. Back in the good old days of just a couple years ago, they'd run first round games on TBS and TNT simultaneously, which meant you didn't have these 3 and 4 day waits between games and 12 days between series. But the league realized that, in doing so, they were cutting their ratings in half. By only playing 2 games a night, they get their whole market share on one station, hence higher ratings and television revenue. But in doing so, the queue becomes longer to get on TV, hence the longer wait between games.

Well said. The NBA is doing a huge disservice to the fans. And they'll continue to see just how much they can get away with as long as fans are willing to put up with it. In fact, they count on it. And all the while, they rub their hands greedily together and laugh all the way to the bank without any regard for the fans whatsoever. It's arrogant, and as you said, motivated purely by greed. I didn't watch a single round-one game. I just don't have the patience for it. And if more hardcore fans like UB stopped tuning in and attending those games, it would begin to send a message. Loyalty is one thing, but the league, in my opinion, has to show some respect for the fans in return.

ChicagoJ
05-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Dipper,

Hi Jay, if you remember back then the 2 division winners from each conference received a 1st round bye. And the 1st round was only a best of 3 series.

The 76ers actually swept the finals against the Lakers but dropped a game to Milwaukee in the conference finals.The Bucks had a very good team they had swept Bird's Celtics the series before.

There was only a 4 day layoff between series but as you know that was before the networks really had much authority. Today with the exorbitant amount of money they pay they pretty much control Stern and the schedule.

I vaguely remember that a team in the 1980s had a nine-day layoff before The Finals one season, maybe it was the year the Lakers beat the Celtics 4-1. In my mind, I've equated that situation with that great Sixers team, because I thought their early-round sweeps gave them extra time-off. You're right, however, that the only playoff loss that team had was to Milwaukee, not the Lakers. :blush:

But now that I think about it, that long layoff for the Lakers was the first time I realized just how much of a whining :censor: Pat Riley really is. :rolleyes:

Slick Pinkham
05-04-2004, 10:19 AM

If you use my play every other day plan, the series would have gone like this:

Pacers-Celtics: April 17, 19, 21, 23 (done)
Heat-Hornets: April 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28

Give an extra day between series for preparation.

Round 2: May 1, 3, 5, 7

The Pacers would have had 7 days off between games(24,25,26,27,28,29,30). That's the most games off any team would EVER have by my plan. That is a difference of 4, not 2, vs. the current situation. The series would have more continuity and excitement. We'd also now be talking about last night's second round game 2 results.

That way of playing these games would be far preferable, the only drawback being that more than one game would be on at the same time, at least on weeknights.

edit: The Pacers will have 10 off days before round 2: April 26,27,28,29,30, May1,2,3,4,5. My plan lops off 3 days, or 4 if you start round 2 only 2 days after round 1 ends instead of the extra day that I was giving them

I'm pleased that round 2 for the Pacers is every other day, with the exception of one extra off day inserted.

dipperdunk
05-04-2004, 10:21 AM
I vaguely remember that a team in the 1980s had a nine-day layoff before The Finals one season.

Your right it was Pat Riley's Lakers team in 1989 they started out that postseason 11-0. Then they had to sit for 9 days and Magic and Byron Scott went down with injuries and Detroit swept them.

Unclebuck
05-04-2004, 12:59 PM

If you use my play every other day plan, the series would have gone like this:

Heat-Hornets: April 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28

Give an extra day between series for preparation.

Round 2: May 1, 3, 5, 7…

The Pacers would have had 7 days off between games(24,25,26,27,28,29,30). That's the most games off any team would EVER have by my plan. That is a difference of 4, not 2, vs. the current situation. The series would have more continuity and excitement. We'd also now be talking about last night's second round game 2 results.

That way of playing these games would be far preferable, the only drawback being that more than one game would be on at the same time, at least on weeknights.

edit: The Pacers will have 10 off days before round 2: April 26,27,28,29,30, May1,2,3,4,5. My plan lops off 3 days, or 4 if you start round 2 only 2 days after round 1 ends instead of the extra day that I was giving them

I'm pleased that round 2 for the Pacers is every other day, with the exception of one extra off day inserted.

You are not taking into account game #7 of the Heat v Hornets.

By my count I see 2 extra days

Slick Pinkham
05-04-2004, 01:18 PM
oops... you are right

:blush:

my plan:
Heat-Hornets: April 18, 20, 22, 24, 26, 28, 30

round 2:

May 2, 4 , 6 ...

Pacers would have 8 off days, not 10, and 8 is the most that anyone would EVER have.

I sincerely think the excitement level would be higher with 4 games nightly.

Those of you who watch the NCAA tournament, if the 1st 2 rounds (48 games) were stretched out over a week so that you could see every game as opposed to multiple sites having up to 4 games at a time over 4 days only, would it be as interesting or exciting?

No way!

In the NBA there are enough 1st round blowout games that if 2 games were on at the same time, you could migrate to the one that was in doubt instead of watching team A's players 8-12 play team B's players 8-12 to determine whether the margin of victory is 20 or 25 points.

clownskull
05-04-2004, 01:55 PM
well, my big problem stems from the first round going to a best of 7. a few years ago it was right where it needed to be at best of 5. if they had stuck to that, this layoff would not have been nearly as bad. of course with the rest of the rounds being best of 7 it means we could possibly wait longer at another time. still, i think this layoff really sucks. i swear it must be one of the longest if not the longest layoff in history.

whodean
05-04-2004, 01:59 PM
The reason for the long layoffs is this: The NBA pre-schedules the finals and has to "build in" enough time for the maximum number of games for each round of the playoffs before it, so especially if round 1 ends in a sweep for one of the teams the remaining days before round 2 begins is mandatory.

bulletproof
05-04-2004, 07:40 PM
The reason for the long layoffs is this: Networks made an offer to the league they couldn't refuse. It's all about maximizing ad revenue.

Grant
05-05-2004, 12:42 PM
To further help, give the 4 seed the Saturday game and give the 1 seed the Sunday game. IOW start the long series before the short series.

1 seed could play on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays
4 Seed could play on Saturdays, Mondays, and Wednesdays (game 7 on Friday).

1 Seed would end no earlier than the second Sunday.
4 Seed would end no later than the Second Friday.

2nd round starts no later than 7 days after first round.

With my plan Indiana ends on the 25th and Miami ends on the 30th. Round 2 starts on May 2nd.