PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Hire D'Antoni

PGisthefuture
11-12-2012, 02:51 AM
chris palmer ‏@ESPNChrisPalmer
Mike D'Antoni signs a four-year deal with the Lakers. (via @Mike_Bresnahan)

J.A. Adande ‏@jadande
Source confirms the same to me RT @Mike_Bresnahan: Source: Mike D'Antoni will be the next coach of the Lakers. Not Phil Jackson

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine
Says one source of LA Times report that Mike D'Antoni will coach Lakers: "Yes ... just happened."

Not sure what to think about this.

Hypnotiq
11-12-2012, 02:53 AM
Brian Shaw is staying.

and good pringles is a terrible coach hopefully there team sinks to the bottom of the ocean hard.

PGisthefuture
11-12-2012, 03:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-p_PudYj38

15th parallel
11-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Somehow D'Antoni will make a great coach there and the Lakers will definitely get major improvements, simply because it will give Nash more freedom to do his thing. However, I doubt the dynamics of that team will be harmonious especially with Kobe. If Melo, a volume scorer and a dominant ball-hog, didn't work well with D'Antoni, then all the more with Kobe. Aside from that, their already bad defense will become worse. With old legs hampering most of their players, I also don't think D'Antoni's high-speed tempo will work for them in the long run.

Well, if this is 100% final, let's see how things will work for them this season. That Lakers team will be an exciting team to watch as it'll be "showtime" once again in LA, but I won't be surprised if they falter before they reach the finals.

wintermute
11-12-2012, 04:24 AM
LA Times is reporting it as a 3 year $12m deal.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-hire-mike-dantoni-20121112,0,7850509.story

D'Antoni signed a three-year deal for $12 million. The team holds an option for a fourth year.

That's ... kind of cheap, considering Jackson was reportedly asking for $12m per year. Along with an ownership stake, final say on personnel, and being allowed to take road games off. Asking for the moon, indeed.

OTOH, the current Lakers look like a poor match for D'Antoni. The Lakers were lacking athleticism and shooting even before the coaching change, and they probably need those things even more now. Can a Gasol trade be far behind? It's not that he's a bad fit with D'Antoni, but they don't have a lot of tradable assets.

Kstat
11-12-2012, 05:46 AM
There is not enough LOL in the world to do this thread justice.

They fired Mike Brown after 5 games....for a guy that has been to fewer NBA finals than Mike Brown.

MyFavMartin
11-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Buss's didn't want to give Phil complete control. They will regret this decision.

McKeyFan
11-12-2012, 06:11 AM
This makes me think Nash was the one most disgruntled.

Kstat
11-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Nash is 40 and has been a laker for 2 games...he does not have that kind of pull..

Sollozzo
11-12-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm listening to "Mike and Mike" right now and they are talking to Ramona Shelbourne from ESPNLA right now. She said that the Lakers flat out chose D'Antoni over Philip and that PJ was ready to accept the job this morning. She also said that the rumors of Phil making a bunch of demands were just rumors. Philip's agent was scheduled to fly to Los Angeles this morning.

Why would you chose D'Antoni over the guy who has won five championships with your franchise? Something is weird here.

Kstat
11-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Yeah...I believe exactly none of that.

Sollozzo
11-12-2012, 07:00 AM
So is D'Antoni 3-0 against Philip now? Two playoff eliminations in 06 and 07 and the Lakers coaching gig.

pacers74
11-12-2012, 07:06 AM
This is crazy. If Phil Jackson wants to coach how do you not give him whatever he wants? No, you hire the guy who fot fired by the freakin knicks.

Ace E.Anderson
11-12-2012, 07:45 AM
I know that Kobe was fond of D'Antoni from their experiences on the Olympic team; but As a Laker fan, this isn't good news at all. Barring a Gasol trade, this team isn't gonna be able to play the way D'Antoni wants to play. We already stink on D AND we can't play at that break neck speed that system calls for.

Lol I'm 0-2 for my fave teams playing well this season this far.

OlBlu
11-12-2012, 07:48 AM
Somehow D'Antoni will make a great coach there and the Lakers will definitely get major improvements, simply because it will give Nash more freedom to do his thing. However, I doubt the dynamics of that team will be harmonious especially with Kobe. If Melo, a volume scorer and a dominant ball-hog, didn't work well with D'Antoni, then all the more with Kobe. Aside from that, their already bad defense will become worse. With old legs hampering most of their players, I also don't think D'Antoni's high-speed tempo will work for them in the long run.

Well, if this is 100% final, let's see how things will work for them this season. That Lakers team will be an exciting team to watch as it'll be "showtime" once again in LA, but I won't be surprised if they falter before they reach the finals.

D'Antoni's style is not made to win championships. It will be pretty in the regular season and a dismal failure in the playoffs in my opinion.....:cool: ...

Ransom
11-12-2012, 07:57 AM
The Olympic connection intrigues me. I'm of te opinion that the Suns could have won had a few things broke their way, like not having Amare get suspended in playoffs because of Robert Horry and a ridiculous rule. I'm not as down on this as other people are. I won't argue he's better than Phil, but I'm not writing off the Lakers.

Unclebuck
11-12-2012, 08:55 AM
There goes the Lakers defense.

Trader Joe
11-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Whoever coaches that team is totally irrelevant anyway.

Nuntius
11-12-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm just glad they didn't get Jackson.

Unclebuck
11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Whoever coaches that team is totally irrelevant anyway.

That is not true at all. No head coach is

Basketball Fan
11-12-2012, 09:58 AM
They said something about Phil's health being an issue how he couldn't travel to road games I think if that's the case I get that I mean what's the point in having a part time coach.

That being said if D"Antoni was the option might as well have kept Mike Brown you aren't going anywhere with either of them.

Lance George
11-12-2012, 10:20 AM
There is not enough LOL in the world to do this thread justice.

They fired Mike Brown after 5 games....for a guy that has been to fewer NBA finals than Mike Brown.

As if that Finals appearance wasn't 99% LeBron James' doing... :rolleyes:

McKeyFan
11-12-2012, 10:29 AM
As a Laker fan, this isn't good news at all.

And I was really starting to respect your opinion around here.

:D

Trophy
11-12-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm honestly not surprised Jackson is not their coach. I am surprised it's on the Lakers behalf.

D'Antoni's up tempo offense could really gas those guys. Should be beneficial for Nash, but it'll be interesting to see if guys can mesh well with each other in it.

IUfan4life
11-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Supposedly D'antoni won't be ready to coach for a couple more games. He just had surgery and may not be ready.

From Slamonline http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/11/phil-jackson-reportedly-stunned-by-lakers-hiring-mike-dantoni/

DíAntoni, who had knee surgery at the beginning of November, hasnít yet been cleared to travel, according to sources and Ďitíll be a couple of days before he comes in, but heís further along than people believe.í There is a possibility that Bickerstaff will remain interim head coach even after DíAntoniís introductory press conference, according to a source, if DíAntoni isnít feeling physically able to coach games yet because of his recent knee surgery.Ē

Blackhawk4
11-12-2012, 10:51 AM

You must have not seen any of the lakers game this season....It was never there to begin with.

Something in the back of my mind makes me want to think a reason why they didn't hire Phil Jackson was because of Jim Buss and that little....displeasure among those two, but it seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Ransom
11-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Maybe they could have kept Brown for the defense and let D'Antoni run the offense?

naptownmenace
11-12-2012, 10:58 AM

Jeff Van Gundy said that statements about D'Antoni not being able to coach a good defense is inaccurate. He also said that defense is more about your player personnel than the coach.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8622897

spreedom
11-12-2012, 11:02 AM
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1812/pringlespotato.jpg

I think D'Antoni is going to be a great fit for the Lakers. Kobe respects him, Dwight will be a beast in an uptempo offense, Gasol's passing and catch-and-shoot talents will be maximized, and Nash will look like the MVP candidate that he's been for the past 6-7 years. And all of the talk that he coaches poor defensive teams is "just a bunch of stuff." His teams have been average, and sometimes below-average, but never at the bottom of the pack. His offense is just worlds beyond his defense.

This is a great signing by the Lakers and serious trouble for everyone else in the West.

vnzla81
11-12-2012, 11:14 AM
I like it, finally, D'antoni is going to even make bench players like Blake serviceable again, according to reports D'antoni told people that next times he coaches he is going to bring a defensive coordinator, I now expect this team to destroy people and finally Nash is going to be in his element :)

Unclebuck
11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Jeff Van Gundy said that statements about D'Antoni not being able to coach a good defense is inaccurate. He also said that defense is more about your player personnel than the coach.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8622897

I am not saying he doesn't know how to coach - my point is he doesn't put enough emphasis on it. Look at the Knicks team right now compared to when he was the coach last season . Woodson has them playing defense

spreedom
11-12-2012, 11:48 AM
I am not saying he doesn't know how to coach - my point is he doesn't put enough emphasis on it. Look at the Knicks team right now compared to when he was the coach last season . Woodson has them playing defense

That had more to do with the Knicks' roster being ill-fitting as a whole (but mostly on offense). Melo clearly didn't like or respect D'Antoni and didn't work hard for him. He likes that Woodson gives him the ISO greenlight so he is actually giving a crap on D.

I don't blame D'Antoni one bit for how things went in New York. First he took on a bare cupboard, then he had to try to convince Melo to play in a system.

Sookie
11-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Would have been the person I picked. You have Nash, you don't waste him on the triangle. And I'm sure D'Antoni can work his system around the players he has.

vnzla81
11-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Now that I think about it if Amare was a beast in D'antoni's offense I expect Gasol to be also great, is there another big man that can do the things Gasol can do? play up tempo an the Gasol to Howard alley oop plays are going to be crazy.

Lakers still need to trade somebody for some shooter though.

McKeyFan
11-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Maybe they could have kept Brown for the defense and let D'Antoni run the offense?

Is that like your wife saying you can still be the husband during the day, but this other guy will get nighttime duties?

sportfireman
11-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Now that I think about it if Amare was a beast in D'antoni's offense I expect Gasol to be also great, is there another big man that can do the things Gasol can do? play up tempo an the Gasol to Howard alley oop plays are going to be crazy.

Lakers still need to trade somebody for some shooter though.

Gasol is the only person outside of Kobe, DH and Nash that people would want.

sportfireman
11-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Is like your wife saying you can still be the husband during the day, but this other guy will get nighttime duties?

:laugh:

vnzla81
11-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Steve Blake is going to look amazing in D'antoni's offense, I'm a Blake fan and Brown was making him look like crap.

Tom White
11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
That is not true at all. No head coach is

I think maybe Joe was going for the famous JOB quote about Hibbert?

Tom White
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
...If Melo, a volume scorer and a dominant ball-hog, didn't work well with D'Antoni, then all the more with Kobe.....

Maybe. But there is a mile of difference between Anthony and Bryant.

Peck
11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I like it, finally, D'antoni is going to even make bench players like Blake serviceable again, according to reports D'antoni told people that next times he coaches he is going to bring a defensive coordinator, I now expect this team to destroy people and finally Nash is going to be in his element :)

You crack me up.

The only difference between D'Antoni & O'Brien is the mustache. If O'Brien is the worst coach you have ever seen then D'Antoni is worst coach "A" that you have ever seen.

vnzla81
11-12-2012, 04:05 PM
You crack me up.

The only difference between D'Antoni & O'Brien is the mustache. If O'Brien is the worst coach you have ever seen then D'Antoni is worst coach "A" that you have ever seen.

D'Antoni is not JOB, D'Antoni is a pretty good coach, just watch.

Sookie
11-12-2012, 04:21 PM
You crack me up.

Disagree completely.

They both like offenses that are uptempo and "space the floor" but that's where the comparison ends. (And that was the least of the issues with Jimmy.)

QuickRelease
11-12-2012, 04:31 PM

:lmao:

presto123
11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
D'Antoni has a lower winning percentage than the coach they just got rid of. This move is laughable and it all boils down to the ego of Buss. How many titles does D'Antoni have again? How many does Jackson have? They will be sorry.

Wage
11-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Hasn't D'Antoni been quoted as saying that he hates posting anyone up because it clogs up the lane? If so, that removes a huge advantage of every starter outside of Nash (even Artest has become pretty decent posting up). I'm not sure I see the fit in a team that is very advanced in age, with no depth to speak of, sprinting up and down the court all game long. All that said, they have too much talent to suck no matter who coaches the team, so it won't really matter until it gets to Finals time.

Sandman21
11-12-2012, 06:17 PM
http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1700823?preferredArticleViewMode=single

by Sam Amick, USA TODAY Sports

Published: 11/12/2012 06:14pm

LOS ANGELES - Kurt Rambis was on the outside looking in on Monday afternoon, the former Laker standing in his suit at the edge of the practice facility parking lot and doing his day job as commentator for his old team's television network.

As late as Sunday night, Rambis thought he would be in a different situation, one in which the longtime Lakers assistant would be on the inside again - making the news instead of covering it.

All signs over the weekend had pointed to Phil Jackson coming out of retirement to coach the Lakers for a third time, and Rambis had been talking with his old friend for days about joining him as an assistant. Instead, the Lakers made the decision late Sunday night to hire Mike D'Antoni to replace the fired Mike Brown, and Rambis - along with the rest of the Laker Nation - was stunned.

"They had told Phil that it was his job (in a Saturday interview), that he was their first choice, and they agreed to wait until Monday - today - to allow him time to digest whether or not he felt he was, in fact, the right coach to come and coach this team," Rambis told USA TODAY Sports. "And, in fact, his agent (Todd Musburger) flew into town - he's here from Chicago - to start negotiations. So Phil had made his mind up that he wanted to coach this team. Somewhere between Saturday afternoon, when Phil and I had a conversation, and Sunday night, the Laker organization made a complete 180-degree turn."

Rambis' view is that someone convinced Lakers management that D'Antoni's run-and-gun, pick-and-roll heavy system was a better fit for the roster of star-studded talent than Jackson's triangle that had won 11 NBA titles -- five of those with L.A. There were no answers to be had at the Lakers facility, as general manager Mitch Kupchak nor Vice President Jim Buss were made available to the media.

As for reports that Jackson had simply asked for too much in the the negotiations - be it travel privileges because of his health, complete control of the team's roster or even partial ownership of the team - Rambis emphatically denied that was the case.

"No money was discussed," said Rambis, the former Minnesota Timberwolves head coach who was expected to rejoin Jim Cleamons on Jackson's staff. "All of these things that are out there about partial ownership, and lack of travel, and no practice time - all of that stuff is categorically false. None of those conversations ever happened. Ever. It was about whether or not he wanted to come and coach the team."

Rambis, who was filing live reports from the facility for Time Warner on Monday, disagrees with the notion that Jackson would not have been the best fit for this group of future Hall of Famers.

"If you're talking about having success and having this team and someone who knows how to guide a team to an NBA title, Phil is that guy," he said. "There's no second, third, fourth or fifth choice at this point in time. He's that guy. I don't know if Jim Buss knows one system from another in terms of how it fits with players, or what works best for players, or what's the difference between them. I don't know if he really understands that, so a lot of times decisions are made on gut feelings and with outside sources that have an influence on it."

And as Rambis noted, anything short of a championship - or at least an NBA Finals appearance - might have a ripple effect on the future of free-agent-to-be Dwight Howard this summer.

"The other thing that this organization has to keep in mind, is that if things don't work out really well here, and Dwight Howard's not happy, he's a free agent," Rambis said. "He could leave, and that would be disastrous for the imminent future of this team. I think you can see that there's a lot of pressure on this organization to win, and ultimately that's what you have to do. And Phil has been the coach in recent history who's had the most success here."

Whatever grudge Jimmy Buss has against Phil, I like it!

Kuq_e_Zi91
11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
If Phil's side of the story is true - that he wasn't asking for all those things that the media put out to justify choosing D'Antoni instead - then the Lakers really screwed this one up. Good job, Jim Buss.

ilive4sports
11-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Good, the Lakers won't win the championship then this year!

Sorry but D'Antoni doesn't play championship winning basketball. Not only did the knicks get better on defense once he was fired, they were better period. Look at what always happened to PHX in the playoffs. Those teams were stacked too. But they couldn't stack up to LA or SA because their style. So unless D'Antoni is making some changes to how he coaches, LA won't be winning anything.

ilive4sports
11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Disagree completely.

They both like offenses that are uptempo and "space the floor" but that's where the comparison ends. (And that was the least of the issues with Jimmy.)
Well, have Steve Nash run the offense compared to Darren Collison and it will look completely different. JOB and D'Antoni are very similar coaches when it comes to X's and O's. Locker room is probably a different story as JOB seemed to be a bit of a nightmare in there.

15th parallel
11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Maybe. But there is a mile of difference between Anthony and Bryant.

Yes they're not the same because Kobe is a worse fit. It is probably due to playing triangle, but Kobe doesn't really need a PG and most of the time he's carrying the ball for the Lakers. So it's just a matter of how Kobe will accept playing off-the-ball while Nash does the PG duties under D'Antoni.

aamcguy
11-12-2012, 08:04 PM
I've already had my share of Lakers/Knicks/Heat/Clippers/Dwight Howard drama for the year. I wish they would just let it die, but literally the only basketball news being reported is Lakers news and I couldn't care less about the most expensive roster to ever exist.

Sookie
11-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Well, have Steve Nash run the offense compared to Darren Collison and it will look completely different. JOB and D'Antoni are very similar coaches when it comes to X's and O's. Locker room is probably a different story as JOB seemed to be a bit of a nightmare in there.

D'Antoni's system has a habit of making poor point guards look very good.

I think Kobe and Nash have reached the age of "I just want to win." And Kobe respects D'Antoni, so that's not going to be an issue.

shags
11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
I'm of te opinion that the Suns could have won had a few things broke their way, like not having Amare get suspended in playoffs because of Robert Horry and a ridiculous rule.

Or if their owner would have been willing to pay the luxury tax.

pizza guy
11-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Step 1: Steve Nash
Step 2: Dwight Howard
Step 3: Pick'n'Roll
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

Honestly, I get that Mike D isn't a defensive coach, but I really like this signing for them. Mike Brown is the most worthless head coach in the NBA, so it's a step up from that simple point of view. But I honestly think he will have that offense humming. These guys are intelligent players and obviously very talented, and given some time with D'Antoni, I think they'll definitely challenge for the title.

pacer4ever
11-13-2012, 12:27 AM
terrible hire when you have 2 great post players(3 when count Kobe) there is no better offense than the triangle. Again when you have 3 great post players there is no worse offense than the Mike D run and space the floor playing small ball offense. I just dont like this hire at all they will probably be begging Phil to return in a year.

and all the people saying the triangle wont Nash be Nash are wrong. The triangle is built for everyone to play every position. Im sure Phil would of let Nash run weak side PnR with Howard/Gasol all day in the regular season and even some in the post season.

The Lakers saying Mike was a better fit for the roster than Phil is beyond laughable.

rexnom
11-13-2012, 04:04 AM
terrible hire when you have 2 great post players(3 when count Kobe) there is no better offense than the triangle. Again when you have 3 great post players there is no worse offense than the Mike D run and space the floor playing small ball offense. I just dont like this hire at all they will probably be begging Phil to return in a year.

and all the people saying the triangle wont Nash be Nash are wrong. The triangle is built for everyone to play every position. Im sure Phil would of let Nash run weak side PnR with Howard/Gasol all day in the regular season and even some in the post season.

The Lakers saying Mike was a better fit for the roster than Phil is beyond laughable.
Not sure I agree with your fundamental premise about fit.

But even if I did, you're assuming Phil would be locked in and committed to this team. Doesn't seem like he was willing to do that. D'Antoni will be much more active and involved.l

hackashaq
11-13-2012, 09:20 AM

Then again, if you do that, why not just get KFC?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgmwwvr4Yk1qgpd04o1_400.jpg

OlBlu
11-13-2012, 12:08 PM

I agree with you. Mike's offense is meant for young men. He doesn't have that or great depth with the Lakers. That system just doesn't work when the playoffs come around and teams slow the game down a bit to play more half court..... Also, Nash was young when he last ran that offense. He isn't young any more.....:cool:

Frostwolf
11-13-2012, 12:22 PM
people also are forgetting just how good amare was during that era... pau today is nowhere near the level of mid-2000s amare in nearly all aspects of the game.

avoidingtheclowns
11-13-2012, 12:24 PM
people also are forgetting just how good amare was during that era... pau today is nowhere near the level of mid-2000s amare in nearly all aspects of the game.

But Pau could be mid-2000s era Boris Diaw.

vnzla81
11-13-2012, 12:28 PM
But Pau could be mid-2000s era Boris Diaw.

That's what I was thinking, a better version of Diaw.

Since86
11-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Pau Gasol is now being downgraded to Boris Diaw level?

Back in Amare's prime, he was averaging about 24pts 54fg% 8.5rebs per game. Pau just had his worst statistical season as a Laker, averaging 17pts 50ft% and 10rebs. Every year before that, he shot 53% or higher and has averaged about 19pts.

The difference between 24pts on 54% shooting and 19pts on 53% shooting is volume of shots. Pau is a terrific low post player. Comparing him to Boris Diaw is an insult.

And I'm not even a Pau fan. Too soft.

Sollozzo
11-13-2012, 01:35 PM
Pau has always been underrated. Before he came, the three Lakers post-Shaq years went like this:

04-05: Didn't make playoffs
05-06: Lost to Suns in first round
06-07: Lost to Suns in first round

Even though they had one of the greatest players ever in the prime of his career in Kobe, they were a joke of a team before Pau arrived. Then he arrives and all the sudden they make the Finals three times in a row. He transformed them from first round doormat to elite team. He's not perfect and he's certainly soft at times, but he's had a helluva career.

Ace E.Anderson
11-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Amare was a byproduct of the system. he was never a good enough 1st or 2nd option to get the Suns past other teams in the playoffs. He also played with a gifted passer (yet overrated in my book) in Steve Nash.

Pau went to 3 straight finals by being the 2nd option to an offensive dominating 2G.

The stats difference was all in the system which produced more FGA, fast break offense, etc.

Since86
11-13-2012, 01:40 PM
And none of that even touches on the subject that Amare got to play with Steve Nash, in his prime, and benefited from the super uptempo style that D'Antoni brought.

EDIT: Ace beat me to the punch.

BRushWithDeath
11-13-2012, 01:44 PM
It's too bad Granger is hurt because you may have been able to talk them into trading Pau for him now.

hackashaq
11-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Speaking of Pau trades, Toronto should offer Bargnani + Calderon for Pau. Who says no?
With that trade, and Ron Ron amnesty, they'd save somewhere between $50-70 mil next season. Bargnani should fit very well and Calderon would make that bench a bit more decent.

vnzla81
11-14-2012, 01:28 AM
@HPbasketball: Wow, the Kobe quotes about Phil never running defensive drills are really eye-opening: http://t.co/lcx9KuSL