PDA

View Full Version : LA Times: Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach

Basketball Fan
11-10-2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-consider-phil-jackson-to-be-main-candidate-for-coaching-job-20121110,0,6329436.story

Lakers say they're 95% sure Phil Jackson will return as coach
Comments 0 Email

The Lakers are hoping to get Phil Jackson back on the sidelines. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times / November 10, 2012)

By Mike Bresnahan

November 10, 2012, 9:56 a.m.
The Lakers are moving quickly toward hiring Phil Jackson as their next coach, with one person in the organization calling it a "95%" chance he will return for a third tour with the team.

The Lakers plan on meeting with Jackson on Saturday morning to make sure he is interested in the job. The unknown 5% in their equation is the chance Jackson doesn't want to fill the vacancy created by the Friday firing of Mike Brown, either because of health reasons or other unknown issues.

The team realized a slew of things stemming from the 101-77 Lakers' victory Friday over Golden State, primarily that the players wanted Jackson and fans wanted him too, in case their second-half chants of his name weren't enough of a tipoff.

Ultimately, Lakers management wants Jackson too. It's just a matter of where Jackson stands right now. People who have spoken with him in recent weeks say he enjoys his life away from the game but is also intrigued by the Lakers' roster and the opportunity to return to the only franchise he has known since 1999.

Jackson left the Lakers after the 2010-11 season, and at least one prominent player said he wanted a chance at redemption on Jackson's behalf.

"The one thing that's kind of always bothered me is that in his last year I wasn't able to give him my normal self," Kobe Bryant said Friday night. "I was playing on one leg and that's kind of always eaten away at me. The last year of his career I wasn't able to give him all I had.

"He's too great of a coach to have it go out that way. That's my personal sentiment. I took it to heart because I couldn't give it everything I had because I physically couldn't. My knee was shot. That's always bothered me."

Bryant's right knee affected him toward the end of that season, which ended with the Lakers being swept by Dallas in the Western Conference semifinals. Bryant ended up undergoing a cutting-edge procedure on his knee in Germany later that summer.

Lakers center Dwight Howard said he would also be fine playing for Jackson.

"I think it would be great," Howard told The Times. "He's a guy I could learn a lot from. But until he comes, we have to put all of our faith into Bernie" Bickerstaff, the Lakers' interim coach.

Former New York Knicks Coach Mike D'Antoni is a candidate for the job if Jackson turns it down.

The Lakers (2-4) play Sacramento on Sunday at Staples Center

Steagles
11-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Well good. I'm relieved that Shaw is only in the 5%.

CableKC
11-10-2012, 02:23 PM
I guess it's Phil then....but is anyone really surprised?

Basketball Fan
11-10-2012, 02:35 PM
I guess it's Phil then....but is anyone really surprised?

Yes because I figured they would've done it before the season began might as well have since they dumped Mike Brown 5 games in

cdash
11-10-2012, 03:44 PM
Ahhh, good ol' Phil Jackson. Such an opportunistic coach. Bailed on the Lakers when they were sinking, now that they conveniently have Howard and Nash to go along with Kobe and Pau, Phil is suddenly interested in returning. Hardly shocking.

Kstat
11-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Nash and the triangle will be hilarious. He'll be traded by February.

gummy
11-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Well good. I'm relieved that Shaw is only in the 5%.

I don't know. I could see Brian going to be an assistant to Phil again next year if he doesn't get a head coaching job in the off season.

By the way, I love the way this is phrased. They are 95% sure Phil will come back. Except that he may not want to because of his health or some other unknown reason. So they just call all that uncertainty a 5% chance that he won't come back instead of admitting that they don't freaking know and need to talk to him more to find out. Hilarious. :laugh:

Trophy
11-10-2012, 04:11 PM
I don't know. I could see Brian going to be an assistant to Phil again next year if he doesn't get a head coaching job in the off season.

By the way, I love the way this is phrased. They are 95% sure Phil will come back. Except that he may not want to because of his health or some other unknown reason. So they just call all that uncertainty a 5% chance that he won't come back instead of admitting that they don't freaking know and need to talk to him more to find out. Hilarious. :laugh:

It seems in Shaw's case, it's a "been there, done that" scenario. I don't think he'll go back to the Lakers.

ChicagoJ
11-10-2012, 04:21 PM
I hope that he comes back, the team struggles for any and all reasons, and that he gets swept out of the playoffs while displaying that absolutely zero level of class that we all expect from him. I kinda like the way he left and feel even better that Rick did it to him, in part, by having more control over Artest in that series than Phil had.

Johanvil
11-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Phil Jackson is the only head coach that exists for the Lakers in the basketball world?I mean what the hell?That will be the 3rd time he's gonna work for them.Yes he's been more than successful but aren't there any other options?

Basketball Fan
11-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I hope that he comes back, the team struggles for any and all reasons, and that he gets swept out of the playoffs while displaying that absolutely zero level of class that we all expect from him. I kinda like the way he left and feel even better that Rick did it to him, in part, by having more control over Artest in that series than Phil had.

Phil got a ring out of Artest sadly something Rick never did here.

That being said I think this is more about him grooming a successor this time around.

AesopRockOn
11-10-2012, 10:14 PM
This reminds me of one of the girls from Super Sweet Sixteen being sure she'd get a new Lexus for her birthday.

clownskull
11-10-2012, 11:25 PM

yes, it was very fitting to see phil go out like he did. couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy. and having rick do that to him was icing on the cake (phil had NEVER been swept before). that year was one of the rarest years where the season ended on as good a note as possible minus the pacers winning it all.

dal9
11-11-2012, 01:00 AM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8616281/sources-phil-jackson-meets-los-angeles-lakers-brass

most interesting point: P-Jack apparently doesn't want to go to all the road games.

spreedom
11-11-2012, 01:03 AM
Ahhh, good ol' Phil Jackson. Such an opportunistic coach. Bailed on the Lakers when they were sinking, now that they conveniently have Howard and Nash to go along with Kobe and Pau, Phil is suddenly interested in returning. Hardly shocking.

Lakers asked him to take a pay cut. Guys of Phil's stature can afford to walk away when this happens.

ChicagoJ
11-11-2012, 01:33 PM
Phil got a ring out of Artest sadly something Rick never did here.

True, but that last series of Phil's was fun watching Rick have more control over Ron than Phil did. Rick knew the buttons he could push that Phil had no control over.

Magic P
11-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Jackson actually could be in place by Monday, according to league sources, with the Lakers trying to find a way to have Brian Shaw freed up from his coaching duties with the Indiana Pacers so that he can rejoin Jackson in L.A. The former Laker player and assistant coach, long talked about as a potential head coach with the team, is the Pacers’ assistant head coach. To get him out of Indiana, the Lakers will probably need to send the Pacers some sort of compensation.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1200164#bmb=1

cgg
11-11-2012, 03:02 PM
They want to steal our assistant to be their assistant ?

dal9
11-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Jackson actually could be in place by Monday, according to league sources, with the Lakers trying to find a way to have Brian Shaw freed up from his coaching duties with the Indiana Pacers so that he can rejoin Jackson in L.A. The former Laker player and assistant coach, long talked about as a potential head coach with the team, is the Pacers’ assistant head coach. To get him out of Indiana, the Lakers will probably need to send the Pacers some sort of compensation.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1200164#bmb=1

Shaw for Ron-Ron?

[ducks]

But seriously what could they give us? Outside of the big 4, no one else is appealing. A low first draft pick we can use on another Plumlee (not literally, I hope) ? Bernie Bickerstaff? Chuck Person as a stopgap 3?

Sparhawk
11-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Shaw for Ron-Ron?

[ducks]

But seriously what could they give us? Outside of the big 4, no one else is appealing. A low first draft pick we can use on another Plumlee (not literally, I hope) ? Bernie Bickerstaff? Chuck Person as a stopgap 3?

Yeah, that's what I don't know. Only player that looks nice is Jordan Hill. Too bad they don't have a pg worth taking back. I would hope for a 1st. Could be a nice trade chip for the Pacers later.

Magic P
11-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Shaw for Ron-Ron?

[ducks]

If the draft is as bad as the experts say it is I don't even want their first but that may be the best we can do outside of telling the lakers to go screw themselves.

Derek2k3
11-11-2012, 03:41 PM
It would likely be cash or something like that. Which, given our financial situation, is better than nothing.

Bball
11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Herb Simon probably feels if he needed a coach from another team he wouldn't want to be involved in any bidding war just like with RFA, so he'll just step aside and void Shaw's contract if that is what Shaw wants...

Should that be green?

Hypnotiq
11-11-2012, 03:44 PM
am i missing something? Shaw has burnt his bridges in LA zero chance he goes back

Sookie
11-11-2012, 03:52 PM
am i missing something? Shaw has burnt his bridges in LA zero chance he goes back

That's what I thought too.

Honestly, I think odds are Phil's requests are over the top. Phil knows they are over the top. So, he's likely not going to be the coach.

Sparhawk
11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
That's what I thought too.

Honestly, I think odds are Phil's requests are over the top. Phil knows they are over the top. So, he's likely not going to be the coach.

I did read somewhere the if Phil comes back, he wants Scottie Pippen on his coaching staff. I didn't know Pippen wanted to get into coaching. Seems like he's been so quiet since he retired.

vnzla81
11-11-2012, 04:34 PM
@KBergCBS: Pacers would have to grant permission for Shaw to speak with the Lakers. Another source says Shaw is "happily employed" in Indiana.

Hypnotiq
11-11-2012, 04:36 PM
@KBergCBS: Pacers would have to grant permission for Shaw to speak with the Lakers. Another source says Shaw is "happily employed" in Indiana.

Well there you go Shaw is happy here whats the problem?

he is staying.

Derek2k3
11-11-2012, 04:50 PM
Well there you go Shaw is happy here whats the problem?

he is staying.

While I agree that Shaw will likely stay put...people saying they are "happy" has been followed by said people jumping ship many times.

Brian Kelly comes to mind.

Sandman21
11-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Originality apparently not the Lakers backup plan either:

Chris Broussard ‏@Chris_Broussard

Mike Dunleavy & Jim Buss met 2day for about 90 minutes, source says. Went well. Dunleavy will be strongly considered if Phil doesn't do it

ChicagoJ
11-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Hmmm... I had not thought about picking up Rifleman to help out with our SF problems. He couldn't be worse than Green or Sam, I suppose.

cgg
11-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Hmmm... I had not thought about picking up Rifleman to help out with our SF problems. He couldn't be worse than Green or Sam, I suppose.

I'd rather just sign Larry.