PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Roy?

kent beckley
11-10-2012, 10:10 AM
He has obviously been struggling on the court. It seems he is in one of his difficult stretches where he just disappears for a while. On top of that, he has not tweeted in 4 days. I am worried that he is putting too much pressure on himself due to the contract, and moving in to some sort of depression. Any thoughts?

IndyJones
11-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Sounds like Roy being Roy to me.

NapTonius Monk
11-10-2012, 10:47 AM
http://www.frontlip.eu/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/man-up.jpg

xIndyFan
11-10-2012, 10:50 AM
I wonder if Roy is really in shape right now. Basketball shape that is. Do any of you guys with lower bowl seats have an opinion on this. It is impossible to tell from the TV games or the balcony.

sportfireman
11-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I like Roy but he does need to toughen up.....he's going to make Portland glad they withdrew their offer. With that said maybe he is starting to man up and thats why he hasn't been around. Maybe he's doing some searching for the inner man with in.

3rdStrike
11-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Sounds like Roy being Roy to me.

Exactly. He is who he is, who he's been (barring stretches last season in what was--surprise--a contract year) and who he will be. A 7'2 non dunking, slow-footed center who has one move in the paint, which is a hook shot (ie easily defended), and who is a huge liability at defending anything outside of the restricted area. And who also calls himself a great passer but never passes. Somehow he convinced people his career best 12.8 ppg / 8.8 rpg was worth a max extension. . .

If I was him I wouldn't tweet either. What is he going to say? "Got to work on my 6 foot hook shot, we gotta step it up to beat the Wizards" ? Count that money and do what you do.

xtacy
11-10-2012, 11:09 AM
i guess he's trying to make portland feel better.

as said earlier he's just being himself.

yoadknux
11-10-2012, 11:16 AM
That's the same Roy we had last year. Last year with Granger around he had a lot more space in the paint, now he's much easier to defend, That's why his numbers dropped. Even with Granger around Hibbert was never really a force

Pacergeek
11-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I have no idea. He looked dominant during the first half of the season opener, and hasn't been the same since.

aamcguy
11-10-2012, 11:35 AM
I think he spent the summer focusing on gaining weight to be stronger and neglected his conditioning to be honest. He's getting pushed around for rebounding position a lot more this year despite being heavier.

Eddie Gill
11-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I think he spent the summer focusing on gaining weight to be stronger and neglected his conditioning to be honest. He's getting pushed around for rebounding position a lot more this year despite being heavier.

Roy's only conditioning this summer was Gangam Style.

Derek2k3
11-10-2012, 12:45 PM
He's definitely laboring more getting up court, which is a side effect of gaining weight without improving conditioning.

Honestly, I don't know why he'd change his body after last season. He was set to continue being a force on both ends, and instead is unable to get into position defensively, and can't make an impact offensively. Remember last season when Frank worked with him to calm down/take his time offensively? He's back to the old "catch/spin/shoot" without gathering himself. I'd like to see him get the ball on the block. Hold it out from his body, let everything clear around him, and go to work. He's like a 75% shooter when he methodically makes a move. This season he's rushing everything.

twslam07
11-10-2012, 12:49 PM
He's definitely laboring more getting up court, which is a side effect of gaining weight without improving conditioning.

Honestly, I don't know why he'd change his body after last season. He was set to continue being a force on both ends, and instead is unable to get into position defensively, and can't make an impact offensively. Remember last season when Frank worked with him to calm down/take his time offensively? He's back to the old "catch/spin/shoot" without gathering himself. I'd like to see him get the ball on the block. Hold it out from his body, let everything clear around him, and go to work. He's like a 75% shooter when he methodically makes a move. This season he's rushing everything.

agree

CableKC
11-10-2012, 01:22 PM
It's all psychological with Hibbert......given the rumor that he maybe bummed that DC is no longer with the Team...I would not be surprised if this was the case.

ChicagoJ
11-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Roy's problem is our lack of any quality wing players. Good play from your C is primarily a team effort as somebody has to get him the ball in position and yet leave him enough space. We don't have the wing players - especially with Granger out - to make that happen.

MiaDragon
11-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Roy's problem is our lack of any quality wing players. Good play from your C is primarily a team effort as somebody has to get him the ball in position and yet leave him enough space. We don't have the wing players - especially with Granger out - to make that happen.

Where are they supposed to go? The guy gets pushed out to a few feet from the 3pt line. This is not on anyone else.

Pingu
11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Where are they supposed to go? The guy gets pushed out to a few feet from the 3pt line. This is not on anyone else.

This to me is the biggest problem with Roy. The closer to the basket he is, the more effective he is. But, right now, he's struggling to maintain his position down low and, as a result, he's not very effective when he receives the ball (and gets tired more quickly). I think this is mostly on Roy, but also partially on the wing players. They just shouldn't pass the ball to Roy if he's trying to post up from 2 feet inside the three point line (as they did several times against the Wolves). If he's not in position, he's not in position. Just swing the ball to the other side of the floor and get started again.

Sandman21
11-10-2012, 01:40 PM
On top of that, he has not tweeted in 4 days.

Neither had any members of the team until George tweeted last night.

Cousy47
11-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Roy seems to be gassed about 8-9 minutes into the quarter. Same as always, the difference being, Frank is not replaing him until just before the quarter ends. If his breathing problems dictate he come out of the game after 8 miutes, then he should come out. I doubt he would ever signal for a replacement because IMO Roy thinks he should "man up" and replace Granger's missing contribution. Putting pressure on yourself to push through things you have no way of overcoming just assures failure. I would rather waste some minutes on Miles than have Roy worn out in the 4th quarter.

Dece
11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Roy's problem is he isn't and will never be dominant. He's an $8-10M player getting the max.

3rdStrike
11-10-2012, 02:29 PM
Honestly, I don't know why he'd change his body after last season. He was set to continue being a force on both ends

I agree with the rest of what you wrote, but I don't consider 12.8 ppg "being a force." It's better than what we're getting now by about 1 and a half field goals per game. If you think about it that way, he's only making one and a half less buckets per game so far this season (and really it's less than 1 field goal if you consider the fact that he's not getting to the line or making his free throws).

So there's the silver lining, but it also reveals the cold, hard truth that his best isn't much better than this on offense.

jtroub8
11-10-2012, 02:44 PM
What's wrong with Roy? Easy, the Pacers FO for giving him the max. I like Roy and all but c'mon, giving him the max? I was in the "decline-asap-camp" as soon as I heard POR was offering the big fella the max! PG is getting A LOT of flack on PD for not averaging 20ppg (14 & 10) and one poster even suggested TRADING PG smh. The P's sg is averaging a double double but our MAX center can't?!!?!?!?!? Pitiful/shameful

Trophy
11-10-2012, 03:15 PM
It's been the case since Roy's been here. When he's at his best, this team can beat anyone. When he's struggling, winning becomes difficult like it is now.

Roy's done this before and it's been temporary. He's still adjusting six games in. Many players still are.

He and the team need one big game and a win to build momentum and hopefully that game is tonight. It should be considering we're playing Washington who is 0-4.

rexnom
11-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Roy's problem is our lack of any quality wing players. Good play from your C is primarily a team effort as somebody has to get him the ball in position and yet leave him enough space. We don't have the wing players - especially with Granger out - to make that happen.This is it. Roy isn't lacking in toughness. He can be pushed out of the paint (Big Baby did this). However, if those big guys are concerned about other scoring threats, they don't hone in on Roy as much. He is feeling Granger's absence more than anyone.

vnzla81
11-10-2012, 04:40 PM
This is it. Roy isn't lacking in toughness. He can be pushed out of the paint (Big Baby did this). However, if those big guys are concerned about other scoring threats, they don't hone in on Roy as much. He is feeling Granger's absence more than anyone.

I don't buy that, Roy is known for dissapearing for a big portion of the season and as far as I know Danny was playing.

vnzla81
11-10-2012, 04:43 PM

You can have Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy to stretch the floor and I don't think anything changes much, Roy's spacing is not the issue.

Heisenberg
11-10-2012, 04:49 PM
when a guy's struggling why is this forum's default reason that the guy is outta shape and just sat around eating cheetos all summer?

Brad8888
11-10-2012, 11:57 PM
I really hope I am wrong here, but...

I wonder if Roy's asthma condition keeps him from being able to get enough oxygen to properly supply larger musculature and weight? Large muscles consume more oxygen than small ones, and I would think they must work harder and consume even more oxygen to move more weight around.

Centers have often had to choose which half of the court to focus on at what points in a game. Could Roy be the same?

McKeyFan
11-11-2012, 07:47 AM
when a guy's struggling why is this forum's default reason that the guy is outta shape and just sat around eating cheetos all summer?

Hangover from the guy who did just that, along with hanging out with strippers and gangsters.

BobbyMac
11-11-2012, 09:52 AM
One of Roy's problems is that he is now a target for the other teams. One of the reasons he can be a target is our poor shooting from the outside.

J7F
11-11-2012, 10:01 AM
I don't buy that, Roy is known for dissapearing for a big portion of the season and as far as I know Danny was playing.

Maybe the year before last... Last season Roy had mini-funks that only lasted 1-3 games at a time... And he was pretty consistently good for the majority of the season...

Justin Tyme
11-11-2012, 10:14 AM
FAO

That stands for Free Agent Overpaiditis.

Having rec'd a max contract isn't something Hibbert can handle. He's too fragile. Toughness isn't his middle name. With that new contract comes great expectations that Mr. Fragilability can't handle. When Hibbert was on a rookie contract, he had a reason to get better. What's his reason to get better now? It sure isn't the money now!

Portland has to be smiling and thankful they didn't get Mr. Fragilability. Hibbert's agent did a fantastic job of overselling Hibbert's ability. Hats off to him, but then it always helps when he's dealing with Walsh. I'm sure PG's agent can't wait to neogiate a new contract with Walsh.

Ownagedood
11-11-2012, 10:35 AM
I think its all mental. He has a lot on his plate and isn't handling it well. Pressure to be that max player, asthma likely worse with gaining weight, getting double and triple teamed because no one is making the outside shot. There's a lot of things going wrong with this Pacers team right now, only part of which is Hibberts fault. I would actually put more blame for our losses on D.J Augustine, he's got to be better. The offense as a whole just looks terrible. Can't blame Hibbert for not being able to carry them out of that himself, he attracts a lot of attention already.

Anthem
11-11-2012, 11:51 AM
With Granger out, teams are gameplanning for Roy.

He'll figure it out. Just adjusting.

I thought he was moving great in the preseason. Yeah, it's the preseason, but if he was out of shape it should have showed up there.

imawhat
11-11-2012, 02:50 PM

Why is "out of shape" the default when a player is consistently the last to cross halfcourt, fails to set screens when he's normally a good screensetter, and gets pushed off the block by someone who weighs 20-30 lbs less?

Derek2k3
11-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Why is "out of shape" the default when a player is consistently the last to cross halfcourt, fails to set screens when he's normally a good screensetter, and gets pushed off the block by someone who weighs 20-30 lbs less?

Not to mention seems to have to will himself to run. He always hesitates, takes a deep breath and starts lumbering away. He was moving much better last season.

docpaul
11-12-2012, 12:02 AM
With Granger out, teams are gameplanning for Roy.

He'll figure it out. Just adjusting.

I thought he was moving great in the preseason. Yeah, it's the preseason, but if he was out of shape it should have showed up there.

I want to agree with you. However, I can't help but notice when he hangs his head after losing a defensive matchup, or letting the ball slip through his hands.

His problem continues to be between his ears. He needs to dramatically evolve his mental game and start getting a chip on his shoulder instead of sulking.

PG-24
11-12-2012, 04:02 AM
centers (hell any big men) without a mean streak arent really going to dominate games consistently

joew8302
11-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Part of the problem is his deciseviness. He gets the ball and tends to just hold it, which is great for the defense. If he would ever make a quick post move his look would be that much easier.

Unclebuck
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
Roy has never been that good of an offensive player. He can be defended. Where he really improved last season was his defense and that is what I primarily want from him.

Major Cold
11-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Roy is not a first option. He never will be. And if we are trying to run the offense through him, we are going to continue to lag out. How many baseline screens is he getting to get low post position?

I don't think we are setting Roy up to recieve the ball that best compliments his weaknesses. Most low iso post positions are from rub screens that he sets and then tries to seal his man that either sags or hedges the screen. He does not have the strength to do this consistently. Baseline screens are key, and they might open up the top of the key for our perimeter shooters.

Ace E.Anderson
11-12-2012, 09:54 AM
Roy has never been that good of an offensive player. He can be defended. Where he really improved last season was his defense and that is what I primarily want from him.

I couldn't agree more. If Roy is holding down the paint defensively and crashing the boards hard, I could care less what he gives us offensively. His defense and rebounding is what made him so good in the playoffs.

I've always wanted him to try to be more Mutombo-type of C as opposed to trying to be a focal point offensively.

Eleazar
11-12-2012, 10:06 AM
1 v 1 he is damn close to unstoppable, but he crumbles when doubled.

McKeyFan
11-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Agreed on his defensive improvement and that what we need from him, primarily, is defense.

However, I would say that Roy CAN be an excellent offensive player. He is just streaky because of not being that mentally tough. So we can't rely on him. But he has some pretty stellar moments.