PDA

View Full Version : When should we panic?

BlueCollarColts
11-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I think if we fall short of the 12-10 mark we should panic meaning if we get 10 losses before we get 12 wins we are in trouble, we just need Roy Hibbert and PG to play more consistently, Gerald Green has been better lately, D.J. Augustin better turn it around and Ian Mahinmi just needs to do the little things, score easy baskets, rebound and defend, George Hill and David West look like all-stars right now if our team would step up around them we should be 4-1

BlueNGold
11-08-2012, 08:22 PM
It's early November and we have people ready to jump off a cliff. We should panic if it's March and Granger is still injured and we are losing to the Hawks.

rock747
11-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Right. ****ing. now.

D-BONE
11-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Gerald Green better than what? Better than crap. That's what he's looked like so far. Long way to go so he may well improve, but to this point he gets a D- from me. Only some decent shot block on the defensive end save him from an F, which is what Mahinmi and Agustin get.

jeffg-body
11-08-2012, 08:55 PM
It is pretty early to panic to me. I think Roy and PG will do better and they need time to gel with the new players. I am expecting a team with a .500 record through the first 20 games but after that I see them playing at a higher level. If they are struggling then I might panic a little bit.

AesopRockOn
11-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Thought this wasn't a political board...

Eleazar
11-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Never, you don't panic that results in stupid moves, and overreaction. You adjust to the circumstance, and look o fix things in the off season.

ejwallace
11-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I figure the Lakers have all the talent they need on their team, and our record is better than theirs......Just sayin......It's only 5 games people......5 games....

Trophy
11-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Gerald Green better than what? Better than crap. That's what he's looked like so far. Long way to go so he may well improve, but to this point he gets a D- from me. Only some decent shot block on the defensive end save him from an F, which is what Mahinmi and Agustin get.

:crazy:

LetsTalkPacers84
11-08-2012, 09:41 PM
When our best player retires, our other players cant stay out of trouble, and we trade for troy murphy.

McKeyFan
11-09-2012, 07:36 AM
If David West also gets injured.

Derek2k3
11-09-2012, 11:10 AM
As frustrating as this has been, in hind sight I think I/many others have overreacted.

If the Pacers don't collapse down the stretch against ATL, we are all talking about how great that stretch in the 2nd/3rd quarters was.

Really, this team has experienced a pretty big shift. Hill didn't play in the preseason, Granger is out, Hibbert clearly struggling. However, things are really starting to come together for the starters, as shown by that beautiful stretch put together by Hill/West, with some help from Born Ready and PG. This team is justthisclose to putting it together, and it's going to take a bit for them to really find their groove.

Regarding the bench, there's nowhere to go but up, so I suppose that's good...ish.

Regardless, we are a long way from panicking. If we get to the allstar break and aren't in the top 8 in the East, then I get concerned. But, this team was able to build a big lead against one of the better defenses in the league. They were able to shut down Josh Smith/Horford, and if they had gotten anything from Roy they probably win.

Eleazar
11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
if they had gotten anything from Roy they probably win.

Or the bench.

p.s. I am considering Lance the starter, not Young.

Derek2k3
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Or the bench.

p.s. I am considering Lance the starter, not Young.

Yeah, great point. However, I was trying to make the point that even with a big fat 0 from the bench, if our max contract center had shown up we'd probably have won.

At this point, is there any reason NOT to start Lance? His pass to Tyler was by far the best pass from a Pacers guard this season, and he could definitely keep up with Hill on those mini breaks.

Pacertron
11-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Yeah, great point. However, I was trying to make the point that even with a big fat 0 from the bench, if our max contract center had shown up we'd probably have won.

At this point, is there any reason NOT to start Lance? His pass to Tyler was by far the best pass from a Pacers guard this season, and he could definitely keep up with Hill on those mini breaks.

I agree. That pass to Tyler made me smile. Never been a big Lance supporter, but he is turning me around. Still needs to cut out the boneheaded plays that he forces, but he is looking very promising.

Pacertron
11-09-2012, 12:12 PM
My biggest beef at this point is with PG. I'm not sure if he is fully to blame for this, maybe coach needs to force his hand a bit and just keep drawing up plays for him on offense. He needs to takeover the offense on this team instead of taking the back seat. He has played brilliantly in other areas, but is still hiding on offense. I really hope he has some sort of killer instinct in him. He has the tool set to really be a dominant force and it frustrates me beyond words to see how passive he is.

aamcguy
11-09-2012, 12:18 PM
My biggest beef at this point is with PG. I'm not sure if he is fully to blame for this, maybe coach needs to force his hand a bit and just keep drawing up plays for him on offense. He needs to takeover the offense on this team instead of taking the back seat. He has played brilliantly in other areas, but is still hiding on offense. I really hope he has some sort of killer instinct in him. He has the tool set to really be a dominant force and it frustrates me beyond words to see how passive he is.

I honestly believe that Paul George needs to stop worrying about taking over on offense. He needs to develop a go-to move that he can make with ~50% accuracy from the elbow, and he needs to get his points in the flow of the offense. He did a great job of not forcing things in the first half against the Hawks. He was not trying to be superman, but when he did get the ball he was getting open looks.

ChicagoJ
11-09-2012, 12:23 PM

That's not the time to panic. That's time for:

:suicide:

or

:suicide2:

or

:suicide3:

TheDavisBrothers
11-09-2012, 12:37 PM
How about never...
Feel disappointed? Sure
Try to find solutions? Definitely
Make changes? If neccessary
But panic? Nope, I don't think it's ever a good time to panic

Derek2k3
11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
I agree. That pass to Tyler made me smile. Never been a big Lance supporter, but he is turning me around. Still needs to cut out the boneheaded plays that he forces, but he is looking very promising.

I agree, although Sam Young/Gerald Green make Lance look smarter and smarter all the time...

wintermute
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM

I'd modify that to if either West or Hill goes down... but yeah.

vnzla81
11-09-2012, 12:59 PM

How about Paul George? who is going to replace him? or Hibbert? Mahinmi replacing Hibbert? :puke: at least we know Tyler can do a decent job replacing West.

Derek2k3
11-09-2012, 01:00 PM

You mean if West, when Hill? Haha, I kid.

Seriously though, how imperative is it that we get 70+ games from G3? Certainly mission critical if a 5 seed or better is in our future.

Nuntius
11-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Never.

Are we going to get anything out of panicking? No.

What's the reason then?

Ransom
11-09-2012, 01:40 PM
http://youtu.be/OS0lW7jGCqs

Sure why not? It's fun!!

wintermute
11-09-2012, 01:56 PM
How about Paul George? who is going to replace him? or Hibbert? Mahinmi replacing Hibbert? :puke: at least we know Tyler can do a decent job replacing West.

I see what you are getting at and to an extent I agree. We basically had 7 guys who can play last year (Granger, West, Hibbert, George, Collison, Hill, Hansbrough) and this year one was traded and another injured, with none of the new guys stepping up yet. So every remaining starter is crucial. That said, West and Hill are a lot more important IMO - frankly both Hibbert and George have sucked thus far, and we've still won 2 games, if barely.

Hansbrough has been a pleasant surprise this year though, along with Lance. He's still not pretty to watch, but he's a lot closer to 2nd year Psycho T than the 3rd year version.

SIR-LANCE-ALOT
11-09-2012, 02:02 PM
never panic, but dissapointed , hope vogel makes some changes to starting line up

vnzla81
11-09-2012, 02:12 PM
I see what you are getting at and to an extent I agree. We basically had 7 guys who can play last year (Granger, West, Hibbert, George, Collison, Hill, Hansbrough) and this year one was traded and another injured, with none of the new guys stepping up yet. So every remaining starter is crucial. That said, West and Hill are a lot more important IMO - frankly both Hibbert and George have sucked thus far, and we've still won 2 games, if barely.

Hansbrough has been a pleasant surprise this year though, along with Lance. He's still not pretty to watch, but he's a lot closer to 2nd year Psycho T than the 3rd year version.

Yeah my thing is that I'm more confident in Tyler than Green, Young or Mahinmi, can you imagine Green and Young taking Paul George spot? that would be horrible, I know some people are down on PG but he is still playing amazing D and is averaging 13.8 and 9.8 rebounds his numbers and impact to me is harder to replace than any other guy on the team.

And yes Hibbert is sucking but replacing him with Mahinmi would also be horrible, Hibbert and Paul George to me are harder to replace because there is nobody capable of replacing them behind them, their replacements are just bad.

Pacertron
11-09-2012, 04:47 PM
I honestly believe that Paul George needs to stop worrying about taking over on offense. He needs to develop a go-to move that he can make with ~50% accuracy from the elbow, and he needs to get his points in the flow of the offense. He did a great job of not forcing things in the first half against the Hawks. He was not trying to be superman, but when he did get the ball he was getting open looks.

And trust me, PG is my favorite player in the game right now, and I think because of that I hold him at higher level of expectations, but I think we all do because we all KNOW what he is capable of. I am over in Maine, not a lot of Pacers fans out this way (obviously), and my buddies look at me like I have three heads when I tell them I think PG is going to be a top 10 player some day. Maybe some of you think I am crazy for that statement too, but really, if you put his skill set with the mind set of a Kobe.....unstoppable. But maybe I am crazy haha

BobbyMac
11-09-2012, 04:54 PM
I would say we can panic if we are below .400 after 20 games. Until then I'll root for the Pacers. After that I"ll root for the Pacers but perhaps I'll complain a bit.

CJ Jones
11-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Yeah my thing is that I'm more confident in Tyler than Green, Young or Mahinmi, can you imagine Green and Young taking Paul George spot? that would be horrible, I know some people are down on PG but he is still playing amazing D and is averaging 13.8 and 9.8 rebounds his numbers and impact to me is harder to replace than any other guy on the team.

Yeah, Paul's still playing scared offensively, but his defense and rebounding are still as good as any SG in the league. I wish he'd get the aha moment on offense like everyone else, but it'd help if coach would trust him more. The last few games it seems like he's not even in the game plan. He basically stands in the corner or makes an entry pass to the paint then cuts to the other side of the court. Everything he gets is off broken plays, except for the occasional open 3. Now I know Coach's job is to win games, and Paul maybe doesn't deserve more responsibility, but I wish people would consider that before they bash him. He's not getting a lot of opportunities, his usage rates only up 1% from last year.

vnzla81
11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Yeah, Paul's still playing scared offensively, but his defense and rebounding are still as good as any SG in the league. I wish he'd get the aha moment on offense like everyone else, but it'd help if coach would trust him more. The last few games it seems like he's not even in the game plan. He basically stands in the corner or makes an entry pass to the paint then cuts to the other side of the court. Everything he gets is off broken plays, except for the occasional open 3. Now I know Coach's job is to win games, and Paul maybe doesn't deserve more responsibility, but I wish people would consider that before they bash him. He's not getting a lot of opportunities, his usage rates only up 1% from last year.

I'm not down on him at all, I think he is playing fine, yes he can average a bit more points per game but I just don't think he is that type of guy, Paul George not averaging 20ppg is not killing this team.