PDA

View Full Version : Jackson: Seasons in Indy made me grow up

90'sNBARocked
11-06-2012, 05:35 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/11/05/jackson-seasons-in-indy-made-me-grow-up/

Others might recall only the ugly end of Stephen Jacksons two-plus seasons with the Pacers, but the Spurs swingman swears his time in Indiana was among the most important of his career.

Jackson, who scored 12 points in the Spurs 101-79 victory over the Pacers at the AT&T Center, was traded to the Warriors midway through the 2006-07 season after an incident at an Indianapolis area strip club and a subsequent in-game confrontation with then-Pacers coach Rick Carlisle.

He calls it one of the most important times of his career.

I think those two incidents I had in Indiana kind of made me grow up faster and get back to being a humble Jack and appreciate the game more, Jackson said. I think a little bit more now before I react, when Im on and off the court, from being there.

But I think I learned my worth there. Going there and getting my first big contract taught me a lot about getting the confidence to be a good player and the guy I am on the court.

Jackson earned two technical fouls in the first three games but insisted he had not forgotten to think before reacting in those instances.

I thought about those techs, he said. I got fouled the second time (against Utah) and the other time, (Oklahoma Citys Serge) Ibaka was running his mouth a little too much. I will never get disrespected by nobody. Im going to go out a man. If I get disrespected, Im going to get a tech. Point-blank.

Though NBA fines start at $2,000, Jackson isnt concerned.

Ive saved up a lot of money the last 13 years, he said. Im good. Im a man first. Before you disrespect me, Im going to spend some money. I aint tripping on that. But youre going to respect me.

Manu feeling better: Though he made only 1 of 4 shots and committed four turnovers in 17 minutes against the Pacers, guard Manu Ginobili was delighted at how good he felt in his second game of the season. He had missed the first two games with back spasms.

I felt better today than the previous game, physically, he said. My backs not hurting, feeling better.

Im still out of rhythm. I havent practiced with the guys in over two weeks. I need to play, to dribble, to pass. I feel inconsistent, not confident yet. Thats the least concern right now. Its the fourth game of the season. Weve got 78 ahead of us. My main concern now is being happy, and thats fine.

mikemonroe@express-news.net
Twitter: @Monroe_SA

ChicagoJ
11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Same old, isn't it? He's more focused in whether he's respected than on his team and winning. Fake toughness.

He hasn't grown up, he's found a new, but old way to justify his lack of self control when things don't go his way.

By the way, I don't respect him. So there. :tongue:

beast23
11-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Same old, isn't it? He's more focused in whether he's respected than on his team and winning. Fake toughness.

So true. Guys that command respect do not have to talk about it. They simply have the mental and physical toughness that compels respect, regardless of how they perform on any given night. They give their full attention to the only thing that matters and that is winning. Everything else will take care of itself.

FlavaDave
11-06-2012, 05:53 PM
"I'm a mature adult" =/= "I will cost my team a point and pay real money based on a verbal insult."

Shade
11-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Stephen Jackson grew up?

BlueNGold
11-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Jack still hasn't learned that you earn respect. Not by threatening people and getting techs.

BTW, Jack is a tough guy IMO. He's just remains an immature young man with a lot of money. Fools and their money...

Derek2k3
11-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Whatever, Jack.

Still an idiot.

aamcguy
11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
“I think those two incidents I had in Indiana kind of made me grow up faster and get back to being a humble Jack and appreciate the game more,” Jackson said, referring to himself in third person with a nickname to show just how grown up and humble he has become.

Fixed.

immortality
11-06-2012, 08:30 PM
He just forced a trade from both the Bucks and Warriors last year, because he wouldn't get a contract. I hardly thing that is being mature.

Brad8888
11-07-2012, 11:12 AM
You can keep the Jack from being out in the streets, but you can't keep the street from coming out of the Jack.

Heisenberg
11-07-2012, 11:14 AM
good for you shitbag

PacersHomer
11-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Screw him. Useless piece of trash. I wish him nothing but failures.

Sparhawk
11-07-2012, 12:04 PM
LULZ

Since86
11-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Don't buy it. This is the same guy who was hosting club parties on nights before games, in the middle of road trips last season. The guy is smart enough to know what to say publically atleast, but it stops right about there.

docpaul
11-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Seems selfish and self absorbed.

Nice to know that taking a proverbial dump over our team has left you with the impression that it helped you become a more mature person, Stephen. Excuse me, I meant Jack.

I struggle with people who refuse to acknowledge that their behaviors have real potential impacts on the people around them.

Love his heart and tenacity. Can't stand his immaturity and self obsession.