PDA

View Full Version : Jim Durham

mboyle1313
11-05-2012, 02:06 PM
All,

If you ever heard this man's work, I'm telling you something you already know. One of the best ever, and a fantastic guy. When I came into the league, he was already well established and went out of his way to help me feel welcome. He will be missed more than a little.

MJB

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8596217/jim-durham-voice-nba-espn-radio-dies

Unclebuck
11-05-2012, 02:28 PM
I used to listen to him quite often when he did the Bulls back in the 90's. He was a great play-by-play guy and he seemed like an extremely nice guy. I think he has to go down as one of the best NBA play-by-play guys ever.

Mark, I'd love to read any personal stories you have about him, if you feel comfortable sharing.

His call of Jordan's shot over Ehlo is probably his most famous call ever.

RWB
11-05-2012, 03:08 PM
The man definitely had the voice for radio or tv. Perfect fit actually.

Kstat
11-05-2012, 03:23 PM
"stuck on automatic" is still my favorite basketball catch phrase of all time.

Durham had an incredible feel for the flow of a game.

mboyle1313
11-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Buck,

I have no stories, per se. But when I was a rookie, Jim had already been around for a long time and was considered an elite guy at the top level (NBA). Still, he went out of his way to make me feel welcome, which I've always appreciated. I will be writing something about Jim for pacers.com, which should be posted later today or sometime tomorrow.

MJB

RWB
11-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Buck,

Still, he went out of his way to make me feel welcome, which I've always appreciated. I will be writing something about Jim for pacers.com, which should be posted later today or sometime tomorrow.

MJB

That's nice to hear because I would think your industry could get pretty competitive and protective at times. Saw a few behind the scenes stuff with the Colts and how the media has to fight for interviews and such sometimes. Nice that someone would take enough interest to help a young guy out.

Trader Joe
11-05-2012, 03:44 PM
It's definitely a sad day for all of us who enjoy bball.

This may not be the thread for this, but while we appear to have you here Mark, I was wondering what your opinion on the Pacers through the first 3 games has been? Do you believe the defense can overcome til we get the offense figured out? Better question, do you think we can get the offense figured out?

Thanks