PDA

View Full Version : Solving the puzzle of Danny's knee

Anthem
11-04-2012, 11:55 PM
From Pacers.com:

As the Pacers open the regular season Wednesday in Toronto, they'll be without Danny Granger, who is out indefinitely with continued soreness in his knee.

"He's going to see some other doctors, get some other opinions and then we'll decide a course from there," Coach Vogel said after practice Tuesday.

A tendon in his left knee has bothered Granger dating back to the Miami playoff series last May. The pain mostly subsided and he thought it would be fine until he tweaked it again during summer workouts.

Granger was held out of the first five preseason games and finally saw the court for the final two games, though his minutes were restricted to 12 and 22, respectively. While on the floor, he never looked himself. Instead, he was timid and hesitated on every move. When he was open for a three, he hesitated and didn't bend his knee much on the release. There was also one particular play at Notre Dame against the Bulls, where Granger saw an opening and drove it in, only to throw it up quickly rather than powering up off his leg.

Last week after practice, Granger explained that he's fighting a different type of soreness, where he "has to stress through it and break up some of the scar tissue." He said the injury has been tough on him, as he had to fight through his own limitations. Most of all, he couldn't jump off his left leg.

From Monteith:

Granger, the Pacers' leading scorer the past five seasons, played the final two preseason games and appeared to be ready to start in Wednesday's season-opener, but was declared out indefinitely on Tuesday after experiencing more pain in his knee during Monday's practice. He has received one "second" opinion and is due for more feedback before a decision is made. At this point it appears the possibilities range from a short recovery period to surgery.

From LeCornrows:

Granger's return remains uncertain, but with the team on the road and the training staff still at least a day away from gathering all the info on the knee's status and deciding the next course of action, it doesn't seem like Granger will be back in the near term.

Can anybody give a decent explanation of what's going on here? Surely it's not just "break up some scar tissue" any more, or it wouldn't cause this delay. Right?

90'sNBARocked
11-05-2012, 12:08 AM
It sounds lik patella tendnitis, which would flare up and then subside. It also sounds like he has some scar tissue built up from prior scopes. Patella tendinitis is not the easiest injury to treat because it frequently subsides , then starts hurting again for no apparent reason. The good thing is its not a ligament issue Lateral/Medial collateral ligament in the knee

Should know more in the next week

Strummer
11-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Can anybody give a decent explanation of what's going on here? Surely it's not just "break up some scar tissue" any more, or it wouldn't cause this delay. Right?

There's no reason to believe the Pacers perspective on the injury has changed. They think the best course of action is to play through the pain. But the team can't force Danny to take that approach.

It seems like Danny is uncomfortable with how the knee feels and how long it's taking to heal. So he wants second opinions. That's perfectly reasonable. And if all those opinions align with the Pacers view then I'm sure Danny will be back soon.

But the thing is, Danny obviously isn't comfortable with the idea of playing through the pain. So if he finds a doctor that wants to scope it, I can see him taking that option. That's why I'm hoping he's getting several "second" opinions. And I'm hoping that the majority of those opinions agree with the Pacers doctors.

But regardless, I think it'll be a while before he's 100%.

Sandman21
11-05-2012, 12:47 AM
There's no reason to believe the Pacers perspective on the injury has changed. They think the best course of action is to play through the pain. But the team can't force Danny to take that approach.

It seems like Danny is uncomfortable with how the knee feels and how long it's taking to heal. So he wants second opinions. That's perfectly reasonable. And if all those opinions align with the Pacers view then I'm sure Danny will be back soon.

But the thing is, Danny obviously isn't comfortable with the idea of playing through the pain. So if he finds a doctor that wants to scope it, I can see him taking that option. That's why I'm hoping he's getting several "second" opinions. And I'm hoping that the majority of those opinions agree with the Pacers doctors.

But regardless, I think it'll be a while before he's 100%.

He's also a new father as of this offseason. My guess is he wants to make sure he'll be able to walk without pain after he hangs up the sneakers.

Strummer
11-05-2012, 01:00 AM
He's also a new father as of this offseason. My guess is he wants to make sure he'll be able to walk without pain after he hangs up the sneakers.

Did you think I was being critical of Danny? I wasn't.

Sandman21
11-05-2012, 02:28 AM
I wasn't, I just adding a another possible factor. :)

This "slow start" for the team is starting to mess with our heads man... :D

imawhat
11-05-2012, 02:48 AM
I was under the impression that a decision would be made today on Danny's knee, per interviews with Vogel before yesterday's game. I think we'll know more pretty shortly.

The weird thing is this happened 2-3 preseasons ago. Then I feared that he'd be out for an extended period of time, but nothing came of it. I thought I started a thread about it then but couldn't find it via search.

oz_pacer
11-06-2012, 12:09 PM
It sounds lik patella tendnitis, which would flare up and then subside. It also sounds like he has some scar tissue built up from prior scopes. Patella tendinitis is not the easiest injury to treat because it frequently subsides , then starts hurting again for no apparent reason. The good thing is its not a ligament issue Lateral/Medial collateral ligament in the knee

Should know more in the next week
That sounds like plantar fasciitis I get that in my feet sometimes I wake up and can't walk

vnzla81
11-06-2012, 12:23 PM
It looks to me like the doctor told him that he needs surgery and he went to get the second opinion, the same thing is happening to EJ, the same thing happened to Tmac, Dunleavy and other players, players usually get a second opinion when they don't want to go through surgery.

tfarks
11-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Surgery isn't always a long-term thing though. It could be a knee scope. Could have been rest the knee for a while and then test it out and see if you can go. If he can't, then go in there to cut out the scar tissue and be out at least 2-3 weeks.

vnzla81
11-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Surgery isn't always a long-term thing though. It could be a knee scope. Could have been rest the knee for a while and then test it out and see if you can go. If he can't, then go in there to cut out the scar tissue and be out at least 2-3 weeks.

True.

imawhat
11-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Why am I waiting to hear that he already had surgery?

Hicks
11-06-2012, 01:05 PM
The silence is getting to be deafening.

Trader Joe
11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Must be some busy knee doctors or something...

Derek2k3
11-06-2012, 05:28 PM
The longer this goes on, the worse I imagine the news to be.

Honestly, if it wasn't really bad (defined as out for longer than 6-8 weeks) you'd think information would have come out. He sure didn't look good Saturday night, wasn't enthusiastic or upbeat at all. Obviously that doesn't mean much, but it certainly isn't a great thing to see.

I was really hoping it would be something like a strain and he'd be out for 2-4 weeks. At this point, I'm wondering if they're gonna announce he'll be out until the AS Break or worse.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTsWLwWQ0x5O_LH00CEmy6AqBaUkcLpD kW7IpGRKX3jd12Br46pmg

backontop
11-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I saw Danny out downtown this weekend after the home opener. I asked him when he expects to be back and he said around 1 month. He didn't really have any details beyond that. He did seem to be in pretty good spirits though.

LG33
11-06-2012, 06:46 PM
According to all the charts I've seen, the problem is water on the knee, not scar tissue.

http://chairliftchatter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/operation_game.jpg

Count me among the very worried.